In Your Eyes- Book One CC M/L ADULT [COMPLETE]

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

tazno
Enthusiastic Roswellian

In Your Eyes- Book One CC M/L ADULT [COMPLETE]

Post by tazno »

IN YOUR EYES

AUTHOR: Tazno
RATING: ADULT parts will be labeled accordingly
DISCLAIMER: All characters belong to the people who destroyed a great show. No copyright infringement intended.
SUMMARY: Max, Isabel, & Michael returned to Antar shortly after high school graduation to lead their planet against evil forces. THERE NEVER WAS A TESS!! Max & Liz never broke up. This is set 18 years after the aliens left earth.
NOTES: ‘//’ indicates a connection, a memory, etc. Alex Whitman is not the same Alex (I suck at picking names, sorry). ‘In Your Eyes’ is from the song by the great Peter Gabriel.

Chapter 1

“IT’S A BEAUTIFUL DAY AT THE JERSEY SHORE, TEMPERATURES WILL BE IN THE…..”

Her fingers searched blindly for the ‘alarm off’ button as she came awake. A beautiful day, huh? How is that possible? Don’t they know- doesn’t everyone know- what today is? She had dreaded going to bed the night before because it meant she would awaken to today. Not that there weren’t other days in the year that brought back bad memories- her parents death in the car accident when she was 18 was always difficult- but today? The one day all year she allowed herself to feel it. Today held a special kind of torture for her. Why couldn’t they just remove this date from the calendar? Would anyone really even miss one day?

Her mind started racing, as it always did on this date. Back to that day. 18 years ago. A boy & a girl. Overwhelming love. Gripping fear. Total, utter loss. The feeling of death but worse because they were still alive. The day he left her. For good.

FLASHBACK

//“I want to go with you, to help you,” Liz said quietly as she buried her face in his neck.

“No,” Max answered emphatically. “I don’t know what’s there- what will happen. I will not risk anything happening to you. No way.”

“Max, please.”

“NO.”

Oh, God. Will it ever not hurt like this? Like it just happened?

// “I can’t… I can’t do this Liz. It’s too hard.”

“You have to Max. It’s your destiny. Their lives depend on you. On all of you.

“But my life depends on you,” he answered, his voice barely audible.

“Mine too,” she said as she tightened her embrace.
//

Dragging herself out of bed and into the shower, she tried to come alive. Or at least awake.

“MOM! MOM!! TELEPHONE.”
“All right,” Liz answered. “I’m coming….hello?”

“Morning chica, glad to hear you’re up.”

“Morning Maria; no chance I could sleep thru this damn day, right?”

“That’s why I’m calling my friend, you don’t need to. Alex and I are going to take you out to dinner tonight.”

The last thing she felt like doing was socializing with anyone, even Maria and her husband Alex, whom she considered to be family.

“No Maria, thanks anyway, that’s really sweet but I am really not into it.”

“Of course you’re not, which is why you’re going. You need to think about something else besides…”

“That’s not going to happen, Maria. No matter where I am or what I’m doing I’m going to think about it.”

“I know, Liz, I think about it too, but it’s been 18 years, we have to look to the future, right?”

The future? Easy for Maria to say. She was Teflon- well, almost. Michael’s leaving had been devastating to her also; she was just able to move on with her life after awhile. Something Liz never fully mastered.

“Liz? LIZ! Are you still with me?”

“Oh- sorry Maria- what were you saying?”

“I was saying that if you reflect on some of the good things that have happened in the last 18 years, like your son…”

“I know, of course, he’s been what’s kept me alive.”

“Liz, don’t say that. You are loved by so many.”

“I know, I know. Just a pity-party day for me. I’ll snap out of it. Don’t worry.”

“You’ll snap out of it at dinner tonight. We’ll pick you up at 7. No excuses. I have to run- can’t be late for work twice in one week, even though I’m the owner, doesn’t look good. I love you.”

“I love you too. Thanks Maria. For everything. And I mean EVERYTHING.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. See you at 7.”
-----------------

“Morning Mom.”

She leaned over to kiss the top of her son’s head as he sat at the kitchen table. “Good morning sweetie”.

“Want some cereal?”

“No thanks baby- especially if you’re fixing it”.

“Mom, I think you’d be use to this by now.”

“Honey, if I live to be 100, and watch you eat that every day, I will still not get used to it.”

“You don’t know what you’re missing.”

“I’ll take my chances.”

Sitting in traffic on her way to work, her mind started to wander again.

FLASHBACK

//(kiss) “I will love you forever,” Max said as he gazed into her eyes.

(kiss) “Me too.”

(kiss) “I will never forget you Liz.”

(kiss) “Me too.”

(kiss) “I promise you, as soon as I can, I will come back for you.”

(kiss) “You’d better,” she replied as her eyes began to fill with tears.

(kiss) “Count on it my love,” he said as he caught her falling tears with his lips.
//

BEEP!!!!!! Her eyes flew open and she quickly started moving forward again. At least in the car.

“Liz! Hey, did you get stuck in that back up on the Parkway?” Alex Whitman had also gotten caught in it, and they were both rushing in from the parking lot trying to get to their classes on time. Both were professors at Riverton University, Liz in science and Alex in advanced mathematics.
“Yeah, great way to start a morning, right?” Liz replied.

“Yeah, well… so, uh, how are you doing?” Alex looked at her with concern; after all these years he also understood that this was a tough day for Liz.

“Alex, really, I’ll be OK. Just need to feel sorry for myself for one day a year and this is it. Really, don’t worry”.

“OK- oh- you are coming to dinner with us tonight, right? I have to warn you- Maria isn’t going to take no for an answer.”

“Does she ever? No, I’m coming- but just to spare you her wrath!”

“Thanks Liz, you always have been my favorite of all of her friends.”

Liz laughed. She loved Alex; when she had met him at the University she knew he’d be perfect for Maria, and she didn’t rest until she had brought them together. They’d been married for almost 10 years now. The girls had told Alex everything- they had to. Maria would never have been able to keep that secret from him. At first he thought they were drinking, then he got freaked out (can you blame him?), then he accepted it. He had to after what he’d seen.

“We’re picking you up at 7- don’t be late, or Queenie will go hyper-spastic on me!” Alex said.

“OK- I’ve gotta run- see you later,” Liz said as she hurried off to class.

The day passed relatively smoothly, other than her dropping a beaker and forgetting what she was lecturing on mid-sentence once. Not bad, considering some years past when she was unable to even get out of bed on this day.

When she got home there was a note on the table. “Mom, I’m at Bob’s working on our history project- will eat there- be home around 9.” She went through the mail, then into her room to change. She thumbed through her closet looking for something to wear. “Hmm, no, no, maybe….” Then her hand brushed over a short red sweater.

// “You wore my favorite sweater,” Max said as his hands reached out for her.

“It’s my favorite too. You gave it to me.”

“I knew it would look good on you. But I knew it would look incredible off of you,” he breathed as his hands moved up under the sweater over her silky skin.
//

Well, not wearing red tonight. Nope.

They picked her up at 7 sharp and made their way to the new Mexican restaurant Maria had heard about from one of the parents of the kids enrolled at her daycare center.

Margaritas were ordered and Alex and Maria both did their best to keep the mood light. They were all laughing at one of Maria’s stories about something one of the kids had done that day. Alex watched the two of them giggling and smiled, marveling as he always did at their friendship. They were as close as sisters. Not surprising considering what they’d been through together. Their boyfriends left them at 18 to go to save some other planet, never to be heard from again. Liz’s parents died in a car crash two months later. The two of them picked up & moved all the way across the country to start over; Maria caring for Liz’s son while Liz went to college.

“Hey!” he exclaimed as a tortilla chip hit him in the forehead.

“Oh, I’m sorry Alex, I was aiming for Maria!” laughed Liz.

“Well, you’re never going to pitch for the Mets, Liz, that’s for sure.”

“I’m a Yankees fan Alex. I wouldn’t pitch for the Muts if you gave me a million dollars.”

“I don’t think that’ll be a problem!”

Alex loved Liz. Outside of the fact that she had introduced him to Maria, he admired her strength and will to live. She was kind, generous and a wonderful friend to he and Maria. When Maria had found out she couldn’t have children, Liz didn’t leave her side for three days. Several months later Liz and her son took the two of them to an empty storefront and handed Maria a slip of paper.

// “What’s this?” Maria questioned as she looked at the paper.

“It’s the deed to your new daycare center,” replied Liz with a huge smile on her face.

“WHAT?” Maria and Alex said in unison.

“I bought it for you. I had the money left from Grandma Claudia’s inheritance, and I thought this is what she would’ve wanted me to do with it.”

Maria immediately protested. “No, Liz, we can’t possibly accept this.”

“Yes, you can. She left me her house and enough to put us both (she gestured at her son) through college. I’ve held onto the remainder because I knew that eventually, she’d lead me to do the right thing with it. And this is the right thing.”
“Liz, no.” Maria said.

“Maria, you are my closest friend- no- you are my family. You helped me to raise my son. You have been with me through the darkest times of my life. You are wonderful with children. You will be great at this. I want to do this. Please. It’s a thank you. From both of us,” she finished, pointing again at her son.

“Oh my god, Liz, you managed to make her speechless. Thank you,” Alex said.

“Liz, are you sure, you could use that money.” Maria was still apprehensive about accepting such a large gift.

“For this. This is what it was meant for. Besides, with the rent from the apartment, I am rolling in the dough!” Not exactly, but that apartment rent had come in handy more than once. Claudia’s house had an apartment upstairs which Liz was able to rent out for extra income. Just one more thing she had to be grateful to her grandmother for. With that and the money she had from the sale of the Crashdown to Jim and Amy Valenti, she never really had to worry about money.

Maria stood staring at the deed, then looked at Liz and her son, then at the deed again as her eyes filled with tears. “I love you both so much” was all she could croak out, before a group hug took over. //

“OK girls, I think you’ve both had enough margaritas for one night. Come on, I’ll pour you both into the car.” Alex linked arms with both of them, and the three of them walked outside singing La Cucaracha.

They dropped Liz off at the same time her son was getting home. “Hey handsome!” called Maria from the car.

“Hey Aunt Maria, did you guys have a good time?”

“Yeah, well your Mom & I did, I don’t know about Alex, he got hit with one too many chips I think.”

“And you think my friends are rowdy?” he laughed.

“That’s your Mothers thing, babe; you know I’m the cool Aunt- goodnight, sweetie.”

“Goodbye Aunt Maria, Uncle Alex. See you later.”

Liz walked inside the house behind her son. “So honey, did you finish the history project?”

“No Mom, but we’re almost there. We just have the oral presentation to work on now. I’m trying to get Kenny or Bob to do it, but they’re giving me a hard time, they think we should all do a part.”

“Sweetheart, you’ll do fine. I hated getting up in front of the class too, and now I do it for a living. You just have to remember that no one there is out to get you. Most of them are thinking about how nervous they are about giving their own presentation.”

“I know…”

Liz knew her son hated to be the center of attention. Oral reports had sent him running for the bathroom to be sick more than once. Just like…

“I’m gonna hit the sack. Goodnight, Mom, I love you.”

“Goodnight baby, I love you too.”

OK, she thought as she climbed into bed, she had made it through the day in one piece. Only 364 more days until she had to do it again. As she closed her eyes, she hoped that at least her dreams would leave her in peace.

His hands moved slowly under her sweater. He wasn’t going to rush anything this time. It was going to be their last time for who knew how long. Maybe forever.

“You are so soft…” He watched her face as he moved his hands higher, hearing her breath catch as his thumb ran across her nipple causing it to harden instantly. He smiled as she pulled his face towards her for a kiss.

“And your lips are so sweet…”

His hands were still moving, now on her back running up and down her spine making her shake in his arms. She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him in for another kiss. His hands came up and tangled in her hair, and he whispered “I love you so much” before lowering his lips onto hers. Their connection opened immediately with the contact and they were swept up in the tidal wave of emotions running through each of them. Fear, desperation, but most of all, love. So much love. The kiss seemed to go on forever, both fearing that if they stopped it would be time for him to leave. He moved his lips down her throat and upon reaching her shoulder his tongue slid out and moved over her skin.

“You taste so good…”

Her breath quickened and she ran her hands into his hair. He had only kissed her twice and she was already melting into a puddle in his arms.

She stepped slightly back from him and started to lower the zipper on the front of the sweater. Her eyes watched as his followed the zipper down until it was fully opened. He looked at her with such intensity that if it had been anyone else, she would have been uncomfortable. But never with him. Her only one. His look was so full of desire and acceptance and love that it only made her want him more.

His hands moved to slide the sweater off of her arms and it fell softly to the floor. He started to reach out to touch her when she pushed his hands away and began to pull his T-shirt up. As his arms went up over his head and his sight was blocked by the shirt covering his face, she flicked out her tongue over his nipple. His shocked gasp made her laugh softly. “Now you know how it feels,” she whispered. He pulled the shirt over his head and pulled her to him as he began to kiss her with burning need. Her fingers ran over the muscles of his back and down to the top of the waistband on his jeans where she let them rest. As he pulled his mouth off of her he bent her backward over his arm and ran his tongue down her throat to her breast. As his mouth covered her she began to moan his name. The sweetest sound in the world to his ears. The love of his entire life, moaning his name in ecstasy. Nothing would ever sound better.

During this assault his free hand moved down her side and he began to lightly run it up and down the back of her leg, just to the hem of her skirt, where he would reverse direction. She was fast becoming limp in his arms so he picked her up and carried her to the bed, gazing into her eyes and getting lost in the love pouring out to him. He attempted to climb onto the bed when she held up her hand. “Pants” was all she had to say. They were gone in a second.

He climbed onto the bed and kneeled over her, reaching out a hand to smooth her hair. She grabbed his hand and pulled him down so he landed on her hard.

“Liz! Be careful, I’ll hurt you.”

“Max, I need to feel you, everywhere, please….”

Hearing the desire in her voice he dove in to take her mouth again. He began to run his fingers over her neck, across her shoulders and down her arms until he reached her fingers. Taking her hands in his, he moved her arms to rest above her head and trailed his fingers back down her arms, back to her neck, over her chest to her breasts. He began to alternate touching and kissing her on every inch of skin he could find, all the while murmuring his love for her. Her moans filled his ears and swelled his heart, propelling him lower. While he watched her face he began to lightly run his fingers under her skirt up her inner thighs, causing her to arch toward his hand and open her legs wide. He undid her skirt and pulled it off with her panties, drinking in the sight of her. He kissed his way over her abdomen to her dark curls, and he paused just long enough to whisper “I love you Liz” again before he let himself taste her.

“Mmmaaaxxx….” Her hands came down to grope for his head to pull him further into her, but he grabbed them and held them down on the bed on either side of her hips. She began moving her body and moaned louder and louder until he grasped her hips to still her, wrapped his lips around her clit and licked her hard. Her screams bounced off the walls as she came, and he moved up over her to hold her as she rode out the waves crashing over her. As her eyes opened, she ran her hand down his body until she found him hard and ready. She began to slowly stroke him, watching his eyes slowly close to half-mast.

“Max, I need you inside of me. Now.”

He didn’t need to be asked twice. Their joining caused them both to groan with relief and she immediately reached to pull him tightly against her, seeking out his lips. Kissing Max was always overwhelming to her, but to kiss him while they were making love was to catapult her beyond any feeling or emotion she had ever experienced. With each movement he brought her closer to her climax until he sensed she was at her breaking point. He took her face in his hands and waited until she was looking up at him.

“Liz. My Liz.” At the sound of his voice she dug her nails into his back cried out. As she began to still she opened her eyes to find him gazing at her still.

Moving her hands to cup his face, she breathed out “Max. My Max.”

The effect was the same. With a loud moan he began to shudder with his release.

They lay joined together for a long time after, touching, kissing, not needing words.

She awoke slowly, not wanting it to end. Her most precious memory. The night they had made their son.
tazno
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by tazno »

CHAPTER 2

“Morning Max, ready for some pancakes?”

“I love it when your classes start later in the day, I get to eat!” her son enthused.

“Me too. I get to feed you. And clean up after you. And wash your clothes,” Liz replied playfully as she set a plate filled with pancakes in front of him.

“Mom, I’d be happy to help with the laundry but you didn’t seem to like the way I did it the last time.”

“Well, if the clothes had come out of the washer the same color they had gone in, I might consider your offer, but for now, I think I’ll man the household appliances,” she said jokingly.

“You have no sense of adventure Mom.”

// Oh Max, if you only knew.

Knew what Mom?

MAX!! How many times do I have to tell you not to connect in with me unless you “announce” yourself?

“Sorry.” //

Their connection had started as soon as he had been born. The first time she held him she could feel his emotions and she knew he could feel hers. As he grew it deepened, until now they were almost like two parts of one mind. People always marveled at how close this mother and son were, and especially at how devoted Max was to her. Liz was clearly the most important person in the world to him and he would do anything for her. That devotion had revealed his developing powers to them more than once. When he was about nine years old, she had come down with a nasty flu and was wretchedly ill. Max was despondent, not being able to bear anything unpleasant happening to his Mommy. On the third day, while he was applying a cold compress to her fevered head, his eyes found hers as his hands lay on her forehead. Suddenly they both felt the heat under his hands and they were drawn into it. When it ended they both stared at each other in amazement.

“Max, I think you healed me.”

“WHAT?”

“I feel fine now. It makes sense. Your father had the same gift. It’s how we came together in the first place.”

She had always been honest with him about his father and his gifts, why he had to leave, that he- they- didn’t know she was pregnant when he left. That there was always the possibility he would return. That he was intelligent, gentle, kind, and the most wonderful man she had ever known. And that Max looked exactly like him.

Earlier in his life Max loved to hear about his Dad. It gave him comfort to know that he might return one day, and he would get to meet someone else like himself. Someone who was different. Special, his mother would correct him. But as he went through his teenage years he began to grow resentful towards the man who had, in his mind, deserted her. His mother. The most wonderful human being on the planet. The person who gave him life and protected it with everything she had. She had devoted her life to him- she was at every practice and game he ever had, usually with Maria and Alex in tow. Every school event- she was involved. She spent a great deal of time researching and planning a summer vacation for them every year, and they traveled extensively together. She never dated; only a few times, when Maria had set her up and forced her to go. It was always the same result, though- one date, then she never saw them again. By her choice.

Because she was waiting for him. And he hated him for that.

How could he leave her behind? Why didn’t he ever return for her- or at least make some kind of contact with her? Didn’t he know that she was spending her whole life waiting for something that was probably not going to happen? Didn’t he care at all?

“So I, uh, know that yesterday was your yearly day of pain. Are you OK?” Max asked.

“Yes, honey, I’m fine. Don’t worry.”

“OK. I have to run or I’ll be late- see you later Mom. I love you.” He couldn’t say much more to her about it because his loathing of his father would be apparent, and it upset her too much. He didn’t want to hurt her.

“I love you too. Have a great day.”

“Thanks, you too.”

A quick kiss goodbye & she was off to get ready for work.

=================

“Dr. Parker! Dr. Whitman! Oh, I’m glad I spotted you both.”

Liz and Alex were having coffee in the student union discussing plans for Maria’s upcoming birthday. They turned to see a short, disheveled man hurrying in their direction.

“Dr. Harriman, hi, did you need us?” Liz answered.

“Actually, I have to tell you something. I’m helping Dean Van Pelt get the word out- the University is calling a special staff meeting tomorrow afternoon regarding the latest school shooting. Apparently they want to go over the schools response plan with us again. It’s mandatory attendance.”

“Oh, OK, no problem, we’ll be there,” they both said.

“Great. Now I just have to find one more person- the new astronomy professor, Dr. Thomas Lennon. And I’m late for my next class…”

“Dr. Harriman, the astronomy rooms are in my building, I’d be happy to inform him,” Liz offered.

“Oh, Dr. Parker, that would be great. Thanks so much- I’ll see you both tomorrow afternoon.”

“New astronomy professor? I guess it must be Dr. Bentleman’s replacement,” Alex mused. Dr. Bentleman had died of a sudden heart attack a few weeks ago, and he knew the University had been actively seeking a replacement, which was not an easy task mid-semester.

“Better watch out Liz, if Maria hears there is someone new she’s going to try to set you up with him.”

“Can’t you do something about her Alex?” Liz said with a laugh.

“HOW long have you known her? Come on, Liz, you know better!”

“Yeah, but I had to give it a shot, right? OK, I’m going to see if I can find this guy before my next class. We’ll finish this later.”

“See ya,” Alex said as he gave her a wave goodbye.

Liz walked down the hall to Dr. Bentleman’s old room. Seeing a man unpacking some things on the lecture table she assumed it must be the new professor.

“Hi, I’m looking for Dr. Thomas Lennon?”

He turned to greet her. “Hi, I’m Tom Lennon. Can I help you?”

Yeah, she thought. Restart my heart. She stared at him, thinking this had to be the best looking guy that the school had ever hired. Blond hair pulled back in a small ponytail. Full, rosy lips. A killer body that couldn’t be hidden by his clothes. And his eyes. Big, brown soulful eyes that you could get lost in. She hadn’t seen eyes like that in a very long time.

“Can I help you?”

He smiled at her, raising an eyebrow questioningly.

“Oh… sorry…” She was stammering now. She had been so surprised at her own reaction to him that she temporarily forgot why she was there in the first place.

“Hi, I’m Dr. Parker. Liz Parker. I’m a biology and physics professor here. At the University. Down the hall.”

“Oh, hi.”

“Hi.”

OK, you idiot, she thought to herself. Speak! You do it all the time!

“Um, so, the reason I’m here, uh, why I came looking for you, is to tell you that there is a mandatory meeting for all staff tomorrow afternoon. About school violence. Here. At school.”

Great, she thought. I have a Ph.D. and I sound like I can’t construct a sentence.

“Oh, thank you. I’ll be there. Oh- where, exactly?” Dr. Lennon asked.

“At the Wolman Amphitheater. Do you know where that is?”

“No, I don’t. I just arrived here two days ago. I’m still trying to find my way from the parking lot to this building.”

“Well, if you’d like, you could come with me. Alex- Dr. Whitman- he’s a math professor- also my friend- you could come with us.” Liz could feel her face flushing as she tripped over her words.

“OK, great. Thank you very much.”

“No problem. We’ll come by here tomorrow around 4.” No problem at all, she thought.

“OK, tomorrow, 4 o’clock. Got it. Thanks again,” he said with a bright smile.

She left his room in a daze. What is this, she thought? I haven’t noticed a guy in 18 years. Why did this one make me go all stupid? She suddenly couldn’t wait for tomorrow afternoon.

He grabbed a chair and sat down quickly, drawing in gulps of air to try to slow his heart rate. He had been totally unprepared for that. He had tried desperately to keep it together while she had been standing in front of him, had she noticed? Thank God he had changed his appearance before he started at the University. All of his plans would’ve gone right out the window.

The next afternoon Liz and Alex came by to get him. “Hi, Tom, this is Dr. Alex Whitman. Alex, this is Dr. Thomas Lennon.”

“Hi Tom, welcome to Riverton. How are you finding things so far?”

Tom shook his hand. “OK so far, but I’ve only been here a few days; I haven’t even seen all of my classes yet. But everyone seems really nice.” He smiled unconsciously at Liz as he added the last part. Alex caught it immediately.

“Yeah, we’re a decent bunch. We do a lot of social things together, with our wives and families. Are you married Tom?”

Liz groaned to herself. Oh God, she thought; he must have told Maria there was a new person on the radar screen. He must have received his instructions and she knew what was coming.

“No, never married, no kids.”

“Where are you from?” Alex continued.

“Originally out west, but I’ve spent a lot of time traveling. That’s why I was available to take a job mid-semester. I just returned and had waited too long to apply for any teaching positions for the beginning of the year, so I guess you could say I was lucky when I received the call to come here.”

“Out west, you say? Anywhere near New Mexico? Liz here is from Roswell,” Alex said, grinning at her like the Cheshire cat.

“OK, guys, we’re here, we’d better go in,” she said. Thank God, Liz thought; she hated the inevitable questions she got whenever anyone heard she was from Roswell.

After the seminar was over the three of them walked towards the parking lot together.

“Well, I’d better get a move on. Maria will be waiting anxiously.” Alex smirked at Liz as he said this, knowing full well that she understood what Maria was waiting to hear about.

“Maria?” Tom queried.

“Oh, yeah, my wife Maria. Liz introduced us. So she has only herself to blame.”

“Ha ha ha Alex. Just remember, what comes around goes around. You’ll get yours.”

“Instant kharma’s gonna get me, huh? I’ll take my chances. Hey- I have an idea, Maria and I are going to check out the new Italian place on Dellson Street on Saturday night. Why don’t you both come?” Maria would be proud of me, Alex thought. Maybe after all of these years watching her trying to match-make for Liz, maybe some of it had worn off on him. He couldn’t help it though, he had watched them both steal glances at each other the entire seminar.

Liz couldn’t believe her ears. Did Maria somehow take possession of Alex for a minute? Was he actually trying to set her up with Mr. Gorgeous, uh, Tom?

“That sounds great, Alex, I look forward to meeting your wife,” replied Tom.

“Great Tom; so Liz, are you in?”

She glared at him as she said yes.

“Great, well I know I’m going to make someone very happy tonight, and if she’s happy, I’m happy, you know what I mean?” He stuck his tongue out at Liz and waved goodbye to them as he made his way to his car.

“This is my car,” she said to Tom as they came to the end of the row.

“Oh- mines right over there- OK, well, I’ll guess I’ll see you Saturday night. If I don’t see you around here first.”

“OK, see you then.”

She was going to kill Alex.
tazno
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by tazno »

CHAPTER 3

The rest of the week passed uneventfully with Liz spending most of her free time trying to help Max with his oral report. They were reviewing it late Saturday afternoon when the phone rang; Max jumped up to grab it.

“Hello? Oh, hi Aunt Maria, do you want Mom? Oh… oh, really? No, she didn’t tell me. Uh huh. Yeah, you’re right, that’s exactly what she’ll do… OK, no problem, I’ll do it. Enjoy your dinner. Bye”

“Who was that Max?”

“Aunt Maria. She told me that you are going to dinner with them and some new professor and she wanted me not to let you back out of it. She figured you’d try to use me as an excuse.”

“I don’t believe her. What does she think, that I’m going to use you as a shield?” Liz said, feigning indignance.

“Well Mom, considering that you’ve asked me like, three times if I want to work on this with you tonight when I told you a bunch of us were going to the basketball game, I kind of have to believe she knows what you’re capable of.”

“And what exactly is that supposed to mean?”

“Mom, you never go out. Especially on a date. I think you’d use just about any way you could think of to back out of a date.”

He knows me entirely too well, she thought. “First of all, this is NOT a date. He is new at school, an astronomy professor by the way; and Alex, not Maria set this up to introduce him to Maria.”

“And why would Uncle Alex care if he met Aunt Maria?” He couldn’t help but grin at her; he knew Maria was right, she’d even use him to avoid going out.

“I think the dryer is done…” She escaped before he could say anymore. Damn. She thought she was going to get away with saying she had to help him with his project. She should’ve known Maria would go and enlist his help; Maria was aware of his feelings towards his father and that he wished his Mom would go out more. Now she was stuck.

“Mom?”

“Yeah?”

“Have a good time. I hope you like him.” He kissed her cheek before he ran out the door.

“Be careful! And be home by midnight… I love you!”

“Me too Mom, see you later.”

Well, I guess I’d better find something to wear, she thought.

They were all to meet at the restaurant. She pulled into the parking lot but didn’t see Alex’s car. She made her way in and spotted Tom at the bar.

“Hi, are we early? I thought Maria said 7,” she said. God this guy is gorgeous she thought. OK we know you think that Liz, she thought to herself; now attempt to have a conversation with him so he doesn’t think you’re a total moron.

“Hi. No, it’s 7, maybe they’re just running late?” said Tom.

“Maria is always on time. She’s like a general. She has to be- she owns a daycare center. She’s the most organized person I know. Never late.”

“Well, maybe it’s Alex’s fault.”

Liz started laughing. “Oh, believe me, Alex is ready 15 minutes BEFORE they’re supposed to leave. He knows better.”

They passed the next 20 minutes in pleasant conversation, discussing mostly things to do with work. They were laughing at something Liz was relating about a biology lab gone wrong when Maria and Alex arrived.

“Finally! I was starting to freak out. You are never late,” Liz said as she hugged them both hello.

“Oh yeah, Liz, you looked like you were freaking out when we came in. Hi, I’m Maria.” She turned to extend her hand to Tom and exclaimed “oh my God.”

“Hi… um, I’m sorry, do I have something on my face?” Tom asked, slightly embarrassed.

“No, no, no, I’m sorry, it’s just… you have beautiful eyes.”

Tom cast them towards the floor as he muttered “thank you.”

“Tom don’t mind my wife; she’s still reeling from being late. It’s not a normal occurrence in her life. Kind of made her loopy.”

“I think our table is ready,” Liz said. Finally, I’m starved she thought.
Alex immediately grabbed the wine list after they were seated. “So, Tom, do you have any preferences? The girls are on a Pinot Grigio kick of late, I prefer Merlot, so we’ll let you decide.”

“Oh, thanks, but I don’t drink.”

“Oh, OK, well I guess we’ll take a bottle of Beringer for the ladies, and I’ll have a glass of Merlot, please.” He handed the wine list back to the waiter.

Maria wasted no time in interrogating Tom. She didn’t get very far, though. His answers were kind of vague, and he always managed to turn her questions for him into questions about the rest of them. He figured her out fast, Liz chuckled to herself. Smart, good looking, nice personality…wait, what was she doing; this is just a nice guy trying to meet some new people. He doesn’t need some woman from work drooling on him and making him uncomfortable. Besides, someone who looks that good probably doesn’t have any trouble meeting women. He probably doesn’t even notice me, she thought.

She thought wrong.

“OK, I am going to the restroom. Alex, would you order for me please?”

“Sure honey.”

“I’ll go with you Maria, we can hold each other up,” Liz giggled.

After the girls had left the table Tom looked at Alex. “So is Liz seeing anyone? You know, a boyfriend?”

Alex shook his head. “No, Liz doesn’t date. Well, except when Maria forces her to. But that’s another story. No, no boyfriends. Just Max.”

His eyes widened. “Max?”

“Yes, Liz has a 17 year old son named Max. Great kid. He’s the closest thing I’ll ever have to a son. He is Liz’s whole world.”

His head was spinning. She had a 17-year-old son. Named Max. Oh my God.

Alex spotted the girls making their way back to the table. “I was just telling Tom about Max, Liz. Oh hey- he’s interested in astronomy too. He still wants to major in it at college, right Liz?”

“Yes, he does. Maybe now that we have a new astronomy department at school he’ll think a little more seriously about going to Riverton.”

“Oh, he wants to go somewhere else?” He couldn’t help but ask, he had to get as much information on this new Max as possible.

“Yeah, he’s thinking about it. I don’t want him to, of course, but I don’t know how much influence I’m going to have on his decision.”

Maria shook her head. “Come on Liz, you know that your opinion is his main concern. I’m betting that not only doesn’t he leave New Jersey to go to school, but that he doesn’t leave home. He’s going to go to a school in Jersey that he can commute too. He won’t leave you Liz.”

“Well, considering that a major in astronomy is offered at a limited number of schools, I hope you’re right, because I want him to stay home. Big surprise, I know.”

“That’s OK chica, I understand, he’s been the only male we could count on in our entire lives.”

“Hey!!” Alex piped up.

“Oh honey, and you too, of course. You too,” Maria said.

“Make her pay for that Alex. She deserves it.” Liz wanted to get her back for being late- a ploy to get Liz to talk to Tom for awhile, it turned out. Maria had spilled the beans while they were in the ladies room.

“I know better than to go there, Lizzie. I don’t want to spend the next few nights sleeping on the couch.”

“So let’s change the subject. So Thomas, do you have a girlfriend? Boyfriend?
Significant other?” Liz rolled her eyes at Maria’s questions and poured herself another glass of wine. Maria was relentless, so she was going to need it.

“No, no girlfriend. I haven’t really had the time.”

“Haven’t had the time? What, has every good-looking human declared a moratorium on dating? Or did you just go to the Liz Parker school of bad dating luck?” Maria was chuckling at herself as Liz put her head in her hands.

“Maria…”

“Come on Liz, I’m sure Tom would love to hear some about some of your better dates.”

“Maria!”

“So you’ve had some duds, huh?” Tom said, looking over at Liz. He couldn’t believe that was possible. A woman as beautiful as Liz Parker should have men falling all over her.

Maria gladly spoke up again. “Duds? That’s the understatement of the day!”

Oh, this is going down the tubes quickly, thought Liz. “Excuse me, but considering the fact that you set me up with the last three of them, I think you should tread lightly.”

“Hee hee, well let’s see what you think Thomas. The first one…”

“Wait a minute. If you are going to embarrass me about this, I’m going to tell the story. At least it will resemble the truth.”

“Oh, go ahead Lizzie! This should be good,” Maria stage whispered to Alex.

“OK. Three dates ago. Thirty-nine year old man who still lived with his mother. He had never moved out. No thanks.”

“Picky picky…”

“Shut up, it’s my turn to talk. Two dates ago. Interesting guy. Well read, seemed to have a lot of financial acumen. I thought he was a bit pale when I met him at first. Turns out he hadn’t seen the sun in a few years. Why was that again, Maria? Oh yeah- he was a convicted felon- insider stock trading.”

Tom started laughing and shaking his head. “Oh wait, it gets better,” said Alex.

“The last one,” Liz said, sighing as she continued. “Seemed like a nice guy, sharp dresser, very well mannered, incredibly well manicured hands.”

“What was his problem?” Tom asked.

“He was, how can I say this, GAY.”

At this Tom, Alex and Maria doubled over in hysterics.

“Oh, I’m so glad my misery is amusing to you all,” she said as she started to laugh too.

“Hey, you should really thank me for the one who was a criminal, it’s what inspired you to start kick-boxing,” Maria said.

Tom looked incredulous. “You? A kick-boxer? Are you serious?”

“Not only is she a kick-boxer, Tom; she’s a damn good one. Don’t piss her off or she’ll put a hurtin’ on you!” Alex loved to tell people that little Liz Parker was a killer at heart.

“Well Liz, you can’t just expect to meet Mr. Right when you only go out on a date once every 5 years. You have to get out and circulate!” Maria said.

“Been there, done that, met him, look where it’s gotten me.”

“So, you met you Mr. Right already?” Tom couldn’t help but ask.

Maria jumped in. “That was a long time ago, who’s to say there’s not someone else out there just waiting for a nice scientist-type girl? You are depriving mankind of- of- of you, girl!”

“Could we PLEASE drop this now? Alex? Can’t you give her a Vicodin or something?” Liz was pleading her case with Alex.

“Well I could, but that would probably put her in a coma.”

“And your point is?” smirked Liz.

“OK, I can take a hint. Ooh, finally our food! I was getting weak,” said Maria.

After dinner over coffee, Alex inquired to Liz if she had been able to find a tenant for her condo yet.

“No, not yet. Everyone that’s applied so far has been unacceptable. They’re either smokers, or they have pets, or they don’t want to live above their landlord- this has been the longest I’ve ever gone without having a tenant.”

“You are renting out a condo?” Tom asked quickly.

“Yes, actually it’s a furnished apartment attached to my house. Why, do you know someone who might be interested?”

“Yeah, actually, me. This teaching position came at me so fast I wasn’t able to find a place before I started working. I’ve been staying at a motel but I need a real place to live.”

Maria piped up “Oh perfect! How’s that for luck? And you could even car pool together to work!”

Liz wasn’t sure about this. They worked together. Did she really want that close living proximity to someone she worked with? Not to mention that she’d be the landlord? She turned to say something to him and found his eyes staring into hers.

“Uh, yeah, sure, why not.” Excuse me, who just said that? Was that me?
“Oh, maybe you want to see it first before you accept?”

“No, that’s OK, I’m sure it’s fine. I really just want to get out of the motel. Too much noise late at night, if you get my drift.”

“OK, well, if you’d like to come by tomorrow you can see it & start moving your stuff in,” Liz said.

“Oh, perfect. This is so great, thank you so much Liz. I was planning on spending tomorrow driving around town looking for a place. This is great. Thanks.” Tom was thrilled with this sudden development.

“Sure, hey, we’ll both be making out- I mean, you need a place, I need a tenant.”

“Oh, I couldn’t have engineered this better myself,” Maria whispered to Alex.

They made arrangements for him to come over around 11 AM the next day and they all parted company.

Max was waiting for her when she got home. “Hey Mom, did you have a good time?”

“Yeah, I did. How about you? Who won the game?”

“We did, 72-65. Then we went to get pizza. So did you like him?”

He was going right for the kill, she thought. “He- his name is Tom- is very nice. And he’s coming over tomorrow to check out the apartment so you’ll get to meet him if you’re here around 11.”

“Yeah, I should be here. Aunt Maria must’ve loved hearing that he may move in here.”

“Yeah, it didn’t go by her, let’s just leave it at that. Night baby, I love you.”

“Night Mom, I love you too.”

Max shut off the living room lights and made his way to his own bedroom. He had a strange feeling in his stomach- must have put too much hot pepper on my pizza, he thought.

No, not quite.
tazno
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by tazno »

CHAPTER 4

Tom pulled into Liz’s driveway a little past 11 AM. Nice neighborhood, he thought. Located on the Barnegat Bay, it was in a great location; her place was only a few houses away from the water. He got out of the car and looked around the grounds. Looks like she’s a gardener, he thought. Rose and hydrangea bushes not yet in bloom, and a multitude of tulips and daffodils dotted the landscape; bird houses and feeders were hung in the trees. Not a house, he thought, a home.

She came out of the front door smiling. “Hi, glad you were able to find it.”

“Oh, your directions were exact. No problems.”

“Good. OK, well let’s go up and you can take a look at the place.” She opened the door again and called inside. “Max, when you’re done, come upstairs please.”

An “OK” drifted outside. They made their way up the back stairs to a large deck and went inside the sliding glass doors.

“Oh, wow, this is nice. And really clean,” Tom said as he admired the room.

“Well, I’m kind of a clean freak. I don’t expect you to keep it perfect, but I do appreciate it being kept up. No bugs or critters, you know?”

“Don’t worry, I’m actually a bit of a clean freak also. Oh, I can see the water from up here,” he said as he caught the view from a window.

“Actually in the winter, you can see a lot more when all of the leaves are down. It’s really pretty. So, what do you think?”

He turned & smiled widely at her. “It’s perfect. I’ll take it.”

“Great! You can move your stuff in whenever you’d like,” Liz said, more enthusiastically than she had meant to.

“Well, I don’t have much except a few suitcases of clothing. I’d like to spend tonight here, if you don’t mind. The motel was rocking last night, and I’d really love to get a normal nights sleep.”

“Oh, sure, no problem. Let me get you the key & then we’ll discuss money… oh, honey, I’m glad you came up; this is Dr. Tom Lennon. He’s going to move in this afternoon.”

“Hi, Dr. Lennon, I’m Max,” he said as he extended his hand.

“Hi Max, and please, it’s Tom.”

“OK Tom, it’s nice to meet you. Glad that Mom found a tenant; it’s been empty a few months. She’s a little picky,” her son teased.

“Why does everyone think I’m picky? Because I know what I want & don’t compromise my beliefs?” Liz placed her hands on her hips, waiting for his answer.

“Only kidding! So, Mom tells me you’re an Astronomy Professor?”

“Yes, and she told me you were considering majoring in astronomy in college,” Tom answered. So, this was Max, he thought to himself. He couldn’t stop the smile that had unconsciously spread across his face.

“Yeah, I am. If I can get into a good school,” Max answered.

“You’ll have no problems getting into a good school, sweetheart. They’ll be lucky to have you. Max is an advanced honor student,” Liz added in Tom’s direction.

“What kind of math classes are you taking? They usually look at math grades quite hard, because studying the stars involves unending calculations. Have you had calculus yet?” Tom asked.

“Yeah, I’m actually taking advanced calc & trigonometry now.”

“He’s a math whiz. Just not a public speaking whiz,” she teased him.

“Oh, I hate public speaking too,” Tom said.

“But you’re a professor!” Max said incredulously.

“Yeah, but half the time I can just tell them to go out and look at the sky, so it’s not too bad.” They all laughed at Tom’s statement.

“Well it was very nice to meet you Tom, but I have to get going,” Max said. Looking at Liz he said, “I’m going to Bob’s, Mom; they want to run through the report from beginning to end one last time. I guess they want to know if I’m going to be able to make it all the way to the end.”

“You’ll do fine. Be home by six for dinner. I love you.”

“I love you too. Tom, I’ll see you around,” Max said as he extended his hand.

“Nice to meet you Max; I’ll see you soon.”

Liz spent the afternoon puttering in the garden while Tom returned with his suitcases.

“Wow, you weren’t kidding when you said you didn’t have much,” Liz said as she surveyed his things.

“Yeah, like I said, I traveled a lot and it was just easier to pare my belongings down than to drag them from place to place.”

“I love to travel too. Every summer Max and I go for a few weeks to discover someplace new. Where have you gone?”

“Oh, near and far. So you like to garden, huh?” he asked, changing the subject.

“I love it. It occupies my mind and the result is so beautiful. And it’s good exercise too.”

“Well, your yard is beautiful. It’s very peaceful here.”

“That’s exactly what I was going for. Oh- listen- if you’d like to join Max and I for dinner your welcome to; I’m making Jamaican Jerk Chicken. My son loves spicy food.”

“That sounds great. I was just going to grab a burger out somewhere. I love spicy food also; the spicier the better, usually.” The smile had returned to Tom’s face in full force.

“Great. Come on down around six.” My God, it should be illegal for someone to have a smile like that, Liz thought.

Max came home & immediately noticed she had set the table for three. “Mom? Are we having company?”

“Sort of. I invited Tom down. He couldn’t resist when I told him I was making jerk chicken.”

“Oooh, my favorite. I hope he likes hot.”

“I warned him and he said he does. We’ll see if he can stand up to your asbestos tongue, though. Would you heat these up for me, sweetie?” she said as she handed him a basket of rolls.

“Sure Mom.” He waved his hand over the basket & steam began to rise up as the doorbell sounded.

“Oh, that must be Tom at the door- go let him in, please honey?” Liz said over her shoulder.

“Hi Tom.”

“Hi Max. Oh man, it smells great in here,” Tom said as he followed Max into the kitchen.

“Mom is a great cook. Her parents owned a diner in New Mexico. She makes the best jerk chicken you’ll ever have. I hope you like spicy.”

“The more the better. Hi Liz, it smells delicious.”

“Thanks. Sit down guys, it’s ready.”

As she served them, Tom asked “so, your parents own a diner? I guess that’s how you learned to cook?”

“Actually, that’s how I learned to waitress. I really didn’t learn to cook until I had Max, necessity being the mother of invention, so to speak.”

“So do your folks still run their diner?”

“Mom’s parents died in a car wreak when she was 18. Mom sold the place to Aunt Maria’s mom and her husband.”

“Oh, gee, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to intrude,” Tom said apologetically.

“No, it’s OK,” she said. “It happened almost 18 years ago. My biggest regret is that Max never got to know his grandparents. They would’ve loved him.”

“Wow, then you were young when you lost your parents,” Tom mused aloud. She’s been through so much, he thought; how had she managed to stay sane?

“Yes, I was. That was a year in my life I really would rather forget. Except the part where I had Max, of course,” she said as she smiled towards her son.

“So how do you like the chicken Tom? Too spicy?” Max inquired.

“No, actually if it wouldn’t offend the cook I’d like some of that Tabasco sauce of yours.”

“Oh please, go right ahead. Max puts that stuff on everything; I’m used to it,” Liz said.

“Thanks. It really is delicious- and sure beats a burger!”

“I’m glad you like it. Oh Tom- may I ask a favor of you? Max is having trouble with the settings on his telescope- I knocked it over while cleaning- would you mind looking at it after dinner?”

“Sure, no problem.”

As Liz cleaned up, he went with Max to check out the instrument. She came in to find them discussing something on Max’s computer.

“So, did I do irreparable harm?”

“No, Tom said it’s just a broken lens and an adjustment screw and he thinks he has the parts at school; he said he’d bring them home tomorrow if he can find them,” Max said.

“Oh good, I’m glad. What are you guys looking at?”

They spent the next hour or so discussing the universe and the stars before Tom stood up to leave.

“Thank you for a wonderful meal. I really enjoyed it.”

“Thanks for coming. And for looking at the telescope; I thought I might have to buy him a new one,” Liz replied as she walked him to the door.

“No, it shouldn’t be a big deal to fix. Oh- uh, about what Maria had said about car pooling, are you interested?” Please say yes, Tom hoped to himself.

“Sure, let’s go over our schedules and we can figure out if it’s convenient for us both.”

They found that four out of five days they could drive in together. Liz was happy to share the ride and gas costs with someone. She was especially happy it was he. What’s the deal with me? she thought as she readied herself for bed. I need to relax.

Max sat at his computer doing some homework. He liked this guy, he thought to himself. Maybe Mom would too. I’m going to have to talk to Aunt Maria about this.

He wouldn’t have to.
tazno
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by tazno »

CHAPTER 5

Tom fit right in with their little group. He pitched in to help with yard work or when Liz needed something done around the house that Max couldn’t handle. He and Max hit it off well, and they played basketball several nights a week, usually while Liz was working out on the punching bags and weights she had set up in the garage. Truth be told, Tom probably wouldn’t play that much ball if it wasn’t for the fact that hoop was attached to the front of the garage and Liz worked out with the overhead doors open. He had missed more than a few shots due to this distraction.

Alex and Maria really liked him and felt that he was a great addition to Liz’s household. Maria was in overdrive attempting to engineer a relationship between Tom and Liz. Liz was in overdrive trying to get Maria to stop.

One evening while the guys were playing basketball and Liz was pummeling the bag the phone rang. “Hello? This is Liz Parker. Hi. How much? OK, I’ll let you know. Thanks.” She muttered “unbelievable” as she hung up.

“What Mom? Who was that?” Max asked, trying to catch his breath.

“The painters that came yesterday to give me an estimate on painting the house. Their price is outrageous. They see a single woman & immediately think we’re completely clueless.”

Tom looked at the house and then back at her. “You just want to paint the outside of the house & the garage? We could do it, that should be no big deal. Have a painting party & invite Maria & Alex. I bet we could knock it out in one good days work.”

“Do you really think so? That would save me a lot of money. And I know Maria and Alex would help. What do you think Max?” Liz asked her son.

“Yeah, we could do it. Uncle Alex, Tom and I could do the second story & the trim while you and Aunt Maria could roll the bottom.”

“Tom, are you sure you wouldn’t mind? I don’t want to impose on you,” said Liz.

“Liz, I don’t mind at all. Why don’t you go to the paint store this week- if you bring them the dimensions, they should be able to tell you how much paint you’ll need. This Saturday and Sunday are supposed to be sunny & warm, so if everyone is available, it might be a good time to do it.”

“Oh, this is great. Let me call Alex and Maria right now.”

On Saturday at 8 AM they were all in the driveway opening paint cans and discussing where to begin.

“Well I think since we’ll be up on the ladders maybe we should start the girls on this side and we do the opposite, then we’ll switch. Otherwise they might knock into a ladder or we might spill paint down on them. What do you guys think?” Alex said.

“Good idea Alex; if that’s OK with you Liz we’ll start on the other wall,” replied Tom.

“Sure, go for it. First one done buys lunch.”

“In that case I’ll be painting slowly,” joked Max.

They moved along quickly once everything was set up and lunchtime rolled around before anyone realized it.

“Well, I guess I’m buying,” said Liz as she finished her last section. “What does everyone want- pizza or subs?”

“Subs” was the unanimous decision, so Liz washed up and headed off to pick up the food. When she returned she found Maria chasing Alex around the yard armed with a very wet paintbrush.

“Liz! Stop her please! She’s on a rampage!” Alex called out as he raced past her.

“Sorry Alex, I have no desire to get any more paint on my clothes or in my hair. Here Max, here’s your sub. Where’s Tom?”

Max began to laugh. “He was Aunt Maria’s first victim. He went upstairs to wash the paint off his face.”

“All right, I’m going to go up & let him know lunch has arrived.”

She climbed the stairs and crossed the deck to the sliding glass doors. She stopped dead in her tracks as the view inside became clearer.

Tom had his back to the doors and was looking through some laundry. He pulled a T-shirt out of the pile and then removed the one he was wearing. Liz gasped at the sight before her. A perfectly sculpted physique. Muscles everywhere, seemingly multiplying as he moved. Her eyes traveled down to his waist, then lower as she admired his tight faded Levis. Well, that’s not exactly what she was admiring.

Suddenly he turned and caught her staring at him. She turned scarlet red as she saw him move towards the door, grinning at her. Oh man, he looks even better from the front she thought as he slid the door open.

“Hey Liz, did you want something?” he asked, amused at her embarrassed expression.

Oh yeah. “Um, yeah, no, I mean, I just wanted to let you know that lunch is here.”

“OK, I’ll be right down,” he said, still smirking.

She turned & ran down the stairs. OK Liz, could you BE any more obvious?
---------------
Liz was exhausted. They had managed to finish both the house and garage by dinner. After a long hot bath she crawled into bed and fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow.

She was alone at the Crashdown, cleaning up at the end of the day. A tap on the door made her look up, but she had known he was coming even before he got there. She ran to the door, threw it open and jumped into his arms. Kisses covered her face as he carried her back inside and sat her on a table.

“Hi”, he said smiling down into her eyes.

“Hi back”, she replied. “OK, that’s plenty of talk.”

He grabbed her under her arms and pulled her to him for a fierce kiss, their mouths immediately opening to invite in the others tongue. She was holding onto his arms trying fight the urge to rip off his clothes and jump him right there.

Wait a minute. Why am I fighting the urge…

She went wild, tearing his shirt open and then clawing at his chest. “Max, I love your body.”

“Yeah, yours isn’t bad either,” he mumbled into her neck.

Her hands kept moving south until she found the zipper on his jeans. She had it undone and his pants pushed down to his knees before he knew what happened.

“Is there something you want, Miss Parker?” he teased.

“No, but there is someONE I want, NOW.”

She jumped off of the table pushed him back to sit in a chair. Standing in front of him she ripped opened her uniform. He nearly came then and there when he saw that she was naked under it. “Oh my God Liz, have you been like that all day?”

“Well, I knew you were coming- or should I say, will be coming…”

He reached out and pulled her hips toward him until she straddled his lap. He tried to kiss her but she pulled away with a smile, and instead moved her lips to his neck and began to lick and suck as she pressed her body into his, trying to dissolve herself into him. She let her hands run down his arms and then between them over his chest- she didn’t think that she’d ever get tired of touching him. Bronzed, smooth, ripped, and hers. It made her moist every time she thought about it.

His hands had been caressing her back as she tasted him. He slowly moved them lower and began running them over her bottom with a feather-light touch, and she started grinding on him as she became more excited. Without warning he slid a finger inside of her, causing her to bite down on his shoulder and moan loudly.

“Liz…”

She moved her hips faster and faster as he stroked her. Finally he reached around to her front with his other hand and thumbed her clit. She came in a flash, clutching onto to him so she wouldn’t slide down onto the floor.

As she began to calm down she moved her mouth to his and slowly sucked on his lips. Nothing will ever taste this good, she thought. She ran her mouth down his throat, across his shoulder and down his chest. She slid off of his lap onto her knees and reached out for him. He groaned as she took possession of him in her hands. Running her finger from base to tip, she looked him in the eye, licked her lips, and bent her head.

“Liz…” It was a breathy moan released as his eyes drifted shut. His hands moved into her hair as she ran her tongue around the tip and then moved her mouth down his shaft slowly, lightly flicking the tip of her tongue against him, giving him endless pleasure as she gave him a wonderful erotic massage. When she moved down and took his sac in her mouth he pulled her away roughly.

“Liz…” Grabbing her again under her arms he lifted her and moved them back to the booth, laying her down on the seat. He entered her swiftly and began moving into her fast and hard, both of them frantically searching for release.

She placed her hands on his cheeks and brought his eyes to meet her gaze.
“Max. My Max.”

He exploded into her crying out her name, her body experiencing again the euphoric ecstasy only he could bring her.

They lay together, trying to find their breath. He lifted his face to kiss her…

She sat bolt upright in bed. What the hell? She ran into the bathroom and splashed her face with cold water. She looked up into the mirror. What was that?

She had been looking into Tom’s face.
tazno
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by tazno »

CHAPTER 6

For the rest of the week, Liz told Tom she was unable to drive into work with him for various reasons, all of them false. She avoided him in the hallway at school and also successfully ducked him at home. She was too embarrassed and confused to deal with her feelings, so as she’d done for the past 18 years of her life, she denied them.

Max knew something was up; his mother had been distracted all week and he couldn’t connect with her to find out why. She’s shutting me out, he thought; maybe Aunt Maria knows something. He grabbed his jacket and made the quick trip over to Maria and Alex’s.

“Hey handsome, what brings you over to your old Aunt’s house?” Maria said as she kissed him hello.

“You will never be old Aunt Maria, I don’t care what the number on your birth certificate says.”

“OK, now I know you want something- spill it.”

“Well two things actually. First I need your help talking Mom into letting me go away for a weekend, and second, do you know what’s been bothering her all week?”

“No I don’t, but she hasn’t called me in three days so I knew something had to be up. Why, what’s going on?”

“She’s shut me out of our connection and she’s keeping to herself. I was trying to talk to her last night about something, and when I was done I could tell she hadn’t heard a word I had said.”

“Hmm, I don’t know what’s going on but I will check into it. Now what about you going away for a weekend? Are you dreaming?” Maria laughed.

“I know, I know, she’s going to be totally against it, that’s why I need your- and Uncle Alex’s- help. I thought you two could be there when I ask her to help peel her off the ceiling.”

“You realize that I would only do this for you, sweetie. I need to borrow a dress from your Mom anyway, so how about we come over Saturday and we’ll do it then?”

“OK, I’m going surfing Saturday but it will be early. I’ll be home by noon at the latest. Is that OK?”

“Yeah, I want to sleep in anyway. Noon is fine.”

“Thanks so much Aunt Maria, I appreciate this. See you Saturday.” Max kissed her & left feeling a bit better.

When Max arrived home, Tom was bringing in the mail. “Oh, hey, here’s your mail.”

“Thanks Tom- oh man, it’s a good thing you picked this up and not Mom.”

“Why?”

“Because inside this envelope is a booklet and application for the University of Mexico at Las Cruces,” Max answered as he held up the thick package.

“Are you applying there?”

“Yeah, but I don’t want Mom to know. She’ll freak.”

“Why?”

“It’s too far and it’s in New Mexico. A double whammy. But they have a great astronomy program there, and I’d at least like to check it out.”

“You’re right, they do, but have you thought about how you will tell her about it?” Tom asked.

“Well, they have an open house for prospective applicants in a few weeks; I was thinking about asking her if we could go together- but I kind of already know what her answer will be,” Max answered somewhat dejectedly.

“Why doesn’t she like New Mexico, she was raised there, right?”

“A lot of bad memories I guess. Anyway, thanks for getting the mail. Oh- do you still want to try out surfing? A few of us are going on Saturday morning, if you want to come.”

“Definitely. One of the few things I’ve never done. I’m dying to try,” said Tom.

“Great. I have an old wet suit that should fit you, and my friend has an extra board. You’ll love it.”

“I’m looking forward to it.”
=====
Alex and Maria pulled into the driveway on Saturday at the same time Max and Tom were getting out of Max’s truck.

“Hey boys, have a good time? Did Tom manage to get up on the board?” Maria queried.

Max slapped Tom on the back. “Yes he did, in fact he took to it like a fish to water, pardon the pun.”

“Puns-are-us, my boy. I give you a lot of credit, Tom; I can barely stand on my own two feet, forget about a surfboard,” said Alex.

“Well, I have a really good sense of balance. I think that helps a lot. But if you’ll excuse me, I’d like to get in a nice hot shower now. I smell like the ocean.”

“I love that smell,” Liz said smiling brightly at them as she came out of the door. Tom gave her a shy smile before making his exit.

Alex helped Max unload his gear while Maria and Liz went inside to look through dresses for Maria

“So Liz, is everything all right? I didn’t hear from you much this week,” Maria said.

“Oh, I know, I’ve been so busy at school,” she mumbled into the closet. “Sorry.”

“Yeah, no problem. No not that one, it will make my hips look too big. Are you sure that’s all? Max is worried about you.”

“He told you that?” Liz said as she put the offending garment back.

“Yeah, he did. He said you won’t let him connect with you and that you’ve been distracted. You know he picks up on the slightest thing when it comes to you. This wouldn’t have anything to do with a certain gorgeous available tenant, would it?”

“What? Maria will you please give it a rest?” Liz answered impatiently.

“Liz, I see the way you two look at each other when you think no one else is looking. What is the problem here? You’re both available, you obviously like each other, he is GORGEOUS, what is your excuse this time?”

Liz sighed and stopped sorting through her closet. “Maria, I can’t lie to you. Yes, I like him; there, I said it. But I’m not going to do anything about it. I feel like… I just am not going to do anything about it, OK?”

“You feel like you’re betraying Max. Do you think that I didn’t feel the same way about Michael when I met Alex? I understand, but Liz, it’s been 18 years. You are not betraying anyone. You are living your life. You’re entitled.”

“I know, but I can’t help it. I look at his eyes and I think of Max. Maybe that’s why I like him, who knows.” She bit her lip and looked at Maria. “I dreamt of him.”

“Who? Max or Tom?”

“Tom. Well, it was Max until the very end. Max turned into Tom.”

“What was he doing?”

Liz flushed at the thought.

“Never mind, I can figure it out from the look on your face. So, you had a sex dream about Max who turned into Tom at the end. You now feel like you betrayed Max because of it. Does that about cover it?”

“Pretty much,” Liz sighed.

Just then they heard Alex and Max laughing as they came into the house.

Maria picked up a black dress and said, “we’ll finish this later” and walked out to the living room.

“Uh, Mom? Do you think I could talk to you about something?”

“Sure baby, what’s up?”

Max looked nervously at Alex and Maria before beginning. “Well, uh, see, Bob’s Dad has this client who gave him tickets for the Final Four.”

“What’s the Final Four?” interrupted Maria.

“It’s the biggest college basketball weekend of the year. The playoffs for the NCAA Championships. It’s a huge deal. This year it’s in North Carolina and Bob’s Dad has four tickets, and they’ve invited Kenny and I to go with…”

“No.” Liz didn’t let him finish his sentence.

“Mom, please, we’ll be with Bob’s dad the entire time. You’ve met him; he’s not exactly the let’s party & get wild type. We’ll be watching basketball the whole time.”

“No.”

“Liz, why not? It doesn’t sound so bad to me.” Max looked gratefully towards Alex.

“No.”

“Liz, come on, at least let’s discuss it. You’ve got to let him loose at some point,” Maria prodded.

“Maria I don’t have to do anything. No.”

“Mom, please, will you at least talk to Bob’s dad? He’ll give you all the details. Please Mom, I really, really want to do this.”

He knew just how to get to her. She could never refuse him anything, and it wouldn’t hurt to talk to the man because she knew she would say no anyway.

“I’ll talk to him. But it’s not going to matter, Max; I don’t want you going anywhere without me.”

“Mom, what are you going to do when I go away to college?”

She paled at the words. So he DID want to leave her and go away to school.

“Oh oh Max, I think you sent her into overload. Why don’t you call Bob now to see when his dad can meet with us.” Maria went over and put her arm around Liz’s shoulder and said “Breathe, Liz. This is not a big deal.”

“Yes it is and you know it. I can’t protect him from- from- from who- who knows what could happen to him and if I’m not there…” She was starting to panic; the thought of Max leaving her was something she was not ready to deal with now.

Alex moved toward the two girls and put his arms around them both. “Liz, I completely understand your fears. But the reality is that at some point in his life Max is going to leave. It might be for a weekend, it might be for a month, it might be for good. It is going to happen. Maybe this trip would be a good way to test out the waters. We’ll go with you to talk to this guy. At least think about it before you say no again, OK?”

Why did Alex always have to make sense? It made it that much harder to be irrational.
============
Liz bolted from the car into the house. The meeting with Bob’s father hadn’t gone well, at least in Liz’s eyes. Max, on the other hand, was elated.

“Mom!” He called after her as he climbed out of the truck. Tom appeared carrying a bag of trash to the dumpster.

“Can I surmise from the look on your faces that you asked your mom about the Final Four?” Max had filled Tom in on his plans while they had been surfing.

“Yeah. We just met with my friend’s dad; he laid out the whole deal to her. I can’t believe she’s going to let me do this.”

“Look’s like SHE can’t believe she’s going to let you do it, either,” Tom said as he looked at the door she had just run through.

“Yeah, I’d better go in and make sure she’s not sticking her head in the gas oven or anything.” They both chuckled as Max went in to find his mother. He found her sitting on her bed, nervously biting her nails. “Mom, thank you so much for this. I swear I will be careful. Everything will be fine. Really.”

“It’s not you I worry about Max.”

// It’s the unknown I worry about, she thought. I don’t know if or when something- someone- will find us- find you-

Mom, what are you talking about? // He had picked up their connection and heard all of her concerns.

“Max, there is so much that you don’t know; that I didn’t want to have to tell you. Believe me Max when I tell you that just because the past 17 years have been peaceful that doesn’t mean things won’t change. You are the son of a king. A king who left to fight a war. What if things didn’t- haven’t- gone well there? What if your father’s enemies find out that there is a living heir to the throne back here on earth? You’re life would be in jeopardy in an instant. You have never been exposed to any of this; I have. It’s not pleasant Max. At least if I’m with you…”

“Mom, no one is going to find out about me at a basketball game. I’ll be doing what normal human males my age do. Please Mom, don’t worry, please.”

“I can’t not worry Max, I’m your mother. It comes with the territory. But I promise you that I will try to deal with this in a rational manner. But you have to promise me that you will call me twice a day and that you will be careful. That you won’t draw any undue attention to yourself. That if anything suspicious happens, you’ll call me immediately. If you see something or someone…”

“Mom, nothing is going to happen. No one knows. It will be OK.”

He was wrong. Someone did know.
tazno
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by tazno »

CHAPTER 7

For the next two weeks she put thoughts of Max’s trip to the back of her mind. If I dwell on it I’ll be ready for an asylum by the time he leaves, she reasoned to herself. She was able to maintain her composure until Monday of the week he was to leave.

Each day on their drive into work that week Tom noticed her increasing anxiety. On Friday morning, the day Max was leaving, he could see she was coming undone. Upon arriving at school he immediately set out to find Alex.

“Alex, I’m glad I caught you. Have you seen Liz? She is really upset today. I saw her walk into a door & say ‘excuse me’ to it.”

“Yeah, we knew this was going to be very rough on her. Maria and I are coming over tonight to say goodbye to Max and try to keep Liz from hiding in the back of the car. Look, I’m going to be late, would you keep an eye on her today? And tonight come downstairs; after he leaves we’ll play poker or do something to occupy her.”

“Sure, no problem.” No problem at all, he thought; watching Liz Parker was his favorite pastime.

At six o’clock Bob’s father arrived with the other boys to collect Max. Liz was holding on to him like she was drowning and he was a life preserver.

“OK, you’ll call as soon as you get there, right?”

“Yes Mom, I promise.”

“And you’ll be careful? No stupid stunts, no wandering off?”

“Yes Mom, I promise.”

“And you’ll call me every morning? And every night?

“Yes Mom, I promise.”

“And…”

“Liz! You’ve gone through this three times already. He will be fine. Let him go now before you have a stroke!” Maria’s words made logical sense, but right now, being logical was the furthest thing from her mind.

Tom felt terrible for Liz; she was so obviously beside herself he didn’t think she’d live through the weekend. “Liz, really, they seem like a nice bunch of kids, and Bob’s dad seems very responsible, I’m sure everything will be fine.” He would have said or done anything to assuage her fear at that moment.

“All right, all right. Have a good time. Be careful. I love you. Be careful.”

“I will Mom, I promise. I love you too. Thank you for this.” Max turned towards the three others. “Please take care of her this weekend.” He kissed her and gave her a bear hug before climbing into the back seat.

They all waived goodbye and Liz lasted about three seconds before breaking down in tears.

“Maria! He’s leaving!” was all she could choke out between her sobs. Maria wrapped her arms around Liz and held her, simply saying “it’s all right Liz, it’s all right” over and over. Alex and Tom looked at each other, both feeling a bit uncomfortable at being present during her breakdown. Alex motioned to Tom to go inside with him and leave the girls to talk.

“Liz, he’s going to be fine. No one there will find out about him being- Czechoslovakian. They are just going to go to the games and hang out. He will be home before you know it,” Maria said soothingly.

No words could comfort her now, though; she just had to cry it out. After a few more minutes she collected herself a little. “Thanks Maria, as usual. Let’s go inside; I could use a drink.”

Alex was already blending a batch of MudSlides when they came in. “What’s this?” Liz asked, pointing at the table.

“Oh, Alex and I thought maybe a game of poker would take your mind off… ah, so he had me dig out the poker chips and cards.” Tom looked at her red puffy eyes and tear stained cheeks and wished he could make her feel better. “We also ordered some pizza, if that’s OK with you.”

“Yeah, that’s fine. Whatever.”

They passed the evening with Maria winning nearly every hand. “Woo hoo! I’m making a killing here!”

“Honey, the chips are only worth a penny each, so I wouldn’t be making any retirement plans yet,” Alex teased.

“You’re just jealous. Wow, is that clock right? It’s almost 11:30? No wonder I’m so tired. Liz, do you mind if we hit the road now?”

“No, go ahead, they won’t even get there until sometime in the early morning. He’ll call then.”

“If he knows what’s good for him. Oh- I have an idea- why don’t the four of us go to dinner tomorrow night? One of the parents at school said he could get me a reservation at The Grenville. I’m dying to go there; it’s supposed to be so elegant. Come on Liz, we’ll get dressed up and get drunk in a nice place for a change.”

“Maria, I don’t know…”

“Sounds like a good idea to me, “ Tom interjected. “Did you have plans?”

“Only to sit and stare at my phone.”

“Well, he has your cell phone number; you made sure of that, like 57 times before he left, so there’s no reason not to go. It’ll be great. I’ve heard they make the best rack of lamb around. I’ll call in the morning for the reservation, is 7 OK with everyone?” Maria was not going to allow her to refuse.

“OK, we’ll pick you both up around 6:30.” Alex pulled Liz in for a hug and whispered “everything’s going to be OK Liz, don’t worry. Call us in the middle of the night if you’re upset, OK?”

“Thanks Alex; I’m sure I’ll be OK. Thank you all for baby-sitting me tonight.”
She hugged Maria and Alex goodbye, then began to clean up.

“Here, let me help you with that.” Tom didn’t want to leave her yet.

“Oh, it’s OK; I’ll just put them in the dishwasher. I think I’ll just watch Letterman and go to bed.”

“He’s supposed to have Derek Jeter on tonight, I think.”

“Would you like to stay and watch with me?” Did I just ask him to- oh, lighten up Liz; she thought to herself. It was only a dream, over two weeks ago at that. You have enough to worry about without going completely neurotic about watching TV with someone now.

They sat close together on the couch. “He’s good tonight”, Tom remarked as he turned to smile at her. She was fighting to keep her eyes open, and she started a little at the sound of his voice. “Yeah” she mumbled before succumbing to fatigue again. Her head slowly fell to the left until it gently came down to rest on his shoulder.

At the contact fire shot through his body. He turned his head to breathe in her scent, and he slowly began to rub his cheek over the top of her head so he could feel her hair. Oh oh, he thought, I’d better get out of here now, before I do something I shouldn’t. He lifted her head and eased himself off of the couch. He propped some pillows up in the corner and gently shifted her body until she was resting on them. Picking up her legs, he moved them onto the couch and removed her shoes, then he grabbed the thin cotton blanket from the back of the couch and covered her. Staring down at her, he couldn’t help but smile; she looked so beautiful and innocent while she slept. I can’t hold out much longer, he thought; the dam is going to break soon.
tazno
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by tazno »

CHAPTER 8

Early the next morning Tom heard a clanking sound and a loud “damn it!” coming from the back yard. He rose and peered out the window to see Liz attempting to pick up a large round metal apparatus that had obviously fallen. He pushed open the window and called down to her, “Liz- hold up- I’ll be down in a minute and I’ll help you.”

As he made his way down the stairs he could hear her swearing softly. He found her attempting to drag what appeared to be a large metal holder for a garden hose across the yard.

“Liz! You’ll hurt yourself, wait.” He picked it up and asked, “where did you want this?”

“I want to mount it over the spickets on the side of the garage. I don’t suppose you would hold it up for me while I mark and drill the screw holes?”

“Sure, no problem.”

He watched her deftly mark, measure and drill the mounting holes. “It looks like you’ve done this before.”

“Well, you learn to do a lot of things when you don’t have a man around to rely on,” she replied.

“So I’m guessing you couldn’t sleep and that’s why you’re out here so early?”

“I’m sorry if I woke you. I just thought working in the yard would occupy my mind. Max called at 4 AM to say they had arrived and I couldn’t fall back to sleep.”

“Well, now that I’m up, is there anything I can help you with?” he asked with a smile.

They worked until early afternoon together; Tom doing some minor repairs on the gutters and then helping Liz dig a new garden bed. Around 2 PM Liz looked at her watch. “Well, I’ve about had it. I think I’m going to take a nap before dinner. Thank you so much for your help. And your company. I probably would have been climbing the walls by now if I didn’t have someone to talk to. Thanks.”

“Anytime Liz,” he said as he melted under her bright smile.

“OK, well, I’m going to take that nap. I’ll see you around 6:30.”
=====
Max called her as she was getting out of the shower.

“Hi Mom, it’s me. Still alive and well.”

“Hi honey, are you having fun?”

“We’re having a great time Mom. We didn’t realize it until we got here, but all of the tickets we have are courtside seats. We are right in the action.”

“Good, I’m glad you’re having fun. Is everything else OK?”

“Yes Mom, no little green men spotted yet.”

“Max…”

“Kidding! Just kidding. Everything is fine. We are going to get something to eat & then have a game at 8 tonight. Then we’ll come right back here. I’ll call you then.”

“OK, I’m going out to dinner with Maria and Alex, so if you don’t get me at home try the cell.”

“Just Maria and Alex?”

“And Tom. So you’ll try the cell?”

“I’ll try the cell. Have fun Mom.”

“You too. I love you. Be careful.”

“I love you too Mom. I’ll talk to you later.”

At 6:30 Tom came and knocked at her door. “Liz? Mind if I come in?”

“Sure, they should be here any second,” she called out.

Stepping into the living room he froze as his eyes fell upon her. “Liz, you look very- ah- very nice. Really nice.” He wanted to say incredibly beautiful but checked himself.

“Thank you,” she said blushing. She hadn’t felt someone stare at her like he was doing right now in a very long time.

RING!!!!!

“Hello? Maria, where are you- oh my God are you serious- no, no, of course, please tell Alex I’ll say a prayer for him. And be careful driving up there. Call me as soon as you know something. I love you.”

She hung up the phone and looked at Tom. “That was Maria. They just got a call that Alex’s dad had a heart attack and is in the hospital. They are going there now.”

“Oh no, I hope he’ll be all right,” Tom said, concern etching his face.

“Yeah, me too; Mr. Whitman is a really nice man. So, ah, they won’t be able to make dinner.”

“Oh, yeah, of course. Well, we’re all dressed, we could still go- that is, if you still want too.”

“OK,” she answered immediately. Wow, this might be the first normal date I’ve been on in a million years, she thought. Wait- I don’t know if he thinks this is a date- well, you know what Lizzie? she said to herself. Who cares. Just go and attempt to have a good time.

They arrived at the restaurant and because the size of their party had changed, they had to wait for a smaller table to become available. They were finally seated at a small table near the fireplace.

Liz looked around admiring the décor. “Wow, Maria was right, this place is beautiful. I remember when this was an old run down building. The current owners bought it for a song and refurbished it to the original Victorian design; I think they even won some design awards for the work.”

“Well they did a great job. I liked the gas lights out front.”

They ordered the rack of lamb (“I’ll hear it from Maria if I don’t”) and Tom insisted she order a bottle of wine (“you would if Maria were here”). They continued to chat about the building and then branched out into many different topics, falling in and out of conversation easily, both enjoying each other’s company. OK, Liz thought to herself, this is really mean but I’m glad Maria and Alex aren’t here. I never would get to talk to him like this if Maria were here playing twenty questions with him all night.

They both ordered espresso after dinner and the conversation turned to Max.

“So, courtside seats huh? Bob’s dad must have good connections,” Tom said.

“I think he works for a big advertising firm in New York so he probably does. I’m glad he’s having fun, but I can’t help worrying about him.” She looked at him and smiled shyly. “You must think I’m the most over-protective neurotic mother in the world.”

“Not at all; it couldn’t have been easy for you, raising him by yourself. You did a great job, Liz. He’s a great kid.” He looked her dead in the eye as he uttered the last statement.

“No, it wasn’t easy, but I had Maria. Max and I wouldn’t be where we are today if not for her. You could say Maria was Max’s father figure, I guess. And then Alex came into the picture when Max was about seven and he’s been just great to Max. I’m very blessed to have such wonderful friends.”

“Yes, you are. But I’m willing to bet that Max’s demeanor is mostly due to you. He has a lot of your mannerisms.” Like that cute thing you do when you chew on your lip, he thought.

“Well, it’s always been just us. He’s been my world for the past 17 years.”

Liz found herself telling him about their life, something she normally wouldn’t do. She was extremely guarded about what she told anyone about Max, suspicious of anyone who asked more than two questions of her, but for some reason it was so easy to talk to Tom. She told him how proud she was of Max being a top athlete yet able to maintain an “A” average at school. How he had volunteered on his own to work with the Special Olympics. How he had always been the sweetest, most wonderful child who did thoughtful things for her all of the time. And how she feared him leaving her, though she didn’t tell him the real reason why.

“You’re very lucky Liz. Too bad his father isn’t around, I’m sure he’d be proud of Max.”

Liz froze. “Yeah, um, well, it can’t be helped, I mean, um, he’s not, uh…”

“Liz, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to upset you.” Why did I say that? he thought. She looks like a deer caught in the headlights right now.

“No, it’s OK, I think, uh, I had too much wine, maybe. Do you mind if we go?” She was already standing and collecting her purse.

“Sure, absolutely.” Damn it, we were having such a nice time, I could kick myself, Tom admonished himself. He hurried to catch up with her as she was already almost to the door.

The ride home was quiet. Liz kept telling herself to stop over-reacting and calm down. It was a perfectly innocent- and kind- comment that he had made. As the car came to a stop in the driveway she looked at him and smiled. “Would you like to come in for some coffee? I think I have some decaf.”

“Oh, yeah, that sounds great.” Oh thank God, he thought; she isn’t completely pissed.

As soon as they were inside the phone rang. “Hey Mom, we’re just leaving the game.”

“Who won?” Not that she even knew who was playing, but she always showed an interest in anything Max liked.

“Duke. They slaughtered Florida. It was great. We’re going to stop and pick up a pizza to take back to the room with us.”

“OK sweetheart, I’m glad you’re having fun. Call me in the morning. Be careful. I love you.”

“Me too Mom. Talk to you tomorrow.”

“Goodnight baby,” she said as she hung up the phone.

“So who won? Duke or Florida? And where do you keep your coffee filters?” Tom called out to her as he looked at the cabinets.

“Duke, and in the cabinet above your head. He said they killed them. He’s having a great time. If I wasn’t so worried about him I’d be glad he is having so much fun.”

They adjourned to have their coffee in the living room. As much as he didn’t want to upset her again, Tom felt the need to apologize for his comment before at dinner.

“Liz? About before, at the restaurant, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to upset you or intrude on your privacy, I…”

“No, no, please don’t worry about it,” she interrupted. “I over reacted, as usual. I’m sorry that I freaked out like that. It’s just that when it comes to Max I’m hyper about everything- in case you haven’t noticed,” she added with a grin.

Tom chuckled softly, relieved that she wasn’t angry. “I can understand; like I said, I realize it couldn’t have been easy for you being a single parent.”

“Well, I actually don’t know any other way- I mean, his dad was gone before I even knew I was pregnant. And at the risk of sounding boastful, I think I’ve done a pretty good job; I mean, Max doesn’t seem to be affected by it too much, that is…” she trailed off.

“What?”

“Well, Max has issues with his dad, I guess you could say.” Why was he so easy to talk to?

“But he never met his dad?” Tom said, slightly confused.

“He hasn’t- that’s one of the problems. He is very angry that his father hasn’t been a part of our lives, even though I’ve tried to explain a million times that’s not possible. I guess that’s a normal response for a child, but Max is so sweet and sensitive that I don’t expect anger from him. And I know that my actions have not helped the situation any, either.”

“What do you mean? He obviously adores you.”

Liz smiled. “And I adore him. I mean that I haven’t, uh, moved on, so to speak, in his-or Maria’s- eyes.”

Remembering what Alex had told him about Liz not dating he said, “you mean because you never married?”

“Well, I think what really annoys the two of them is that I don’t even date much.” Her voice softened. “They think I’ve wasted my life waiting for him to return.” Her words trailed off as she began to study the couch cushions intently, suddenly taking note of the small amount of space between his leg and hers.

Tom was staring down at her intently. “Is that what you think?”

The silence that hung in the room was deafening. A hot flash swept through Liz’s body leaving her feverish as she continued to stare down at the couch pillows. What do I think? That answer could fill volumes.

She slowly moved her eyes up to meet his. Her body was trembling and her voice was barely audible as she answered. “Not until now.”

Emotions did away with all rational thinking in Tom’s mind. She had remained faithful for 18 years to a hope, an idea; and now, when she finally decided to open herself up again, it was to him. To HIM. The same fever that possessed Liz at the moment took hold of him.

Never removing his eyes from hers he moved his hand up and ever so lightly brushed it across her cheek, moving it back to gently play in her hair. Resting it there he brought his thumb back to play over her cheek. Unconsciously they slowly leaned toward each other until their lips brushed together. Pulling back slightly he looked down at her to see her eyes half closed and staring at his mouth; as he moved into her again they drifted close as she lifted her face.

Their kiss was soft and slow and long. Sighing into his mouth, Liz ran her hand lightly over the top of his thigh, across his chest and brought it to cup his cheek, providing the spark to ignite them both into deepening the kiss. He brought both his hands to her face and drank from her lips like a man dying of thirst, not able to quench his thirst and need.

It’s been so long, she thought, so very, very long; and this felt so good, so very, very good. She slid into his arms and eagerly returned his ardor, being swept up in sensations that had lay dormant for so many years.

Suddenly she jumped back and off of the couch and stared at him, adrenaline pulsing through her veins, her eyes huge with fear.

She had a flash.
tazno
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by tazno »

CHAPTER 9

Tom looked up at her in shock and confusion. Liz looked wild- her mouth open and her chest heaving as she tried to catch her breath, her eyes filled with horror, as she slowly started to back away from him.

“Liz, I’m sorry, I didn’t…”

“Who are you?” she said as her eyes began to roam the room frantically as if looking for an exit.

Tom stood up, seized with fear. “Liz what…”

“WHO ARE YOU?” This time she screamed it at him.

Obviously she saw or felt something from me, he thought; this was NOT the way he had wanted this to go down. His hand had been forced because he couldn’t control himself around her. Just like always. “Liz please calm down…”

“Calm down? CALM DOWN?!!! I saw a flash. You know what I’m talking about don’t you. A flash. STAY AWAY FROM ME!!” He had begun to move toward her, and she backed up into the wall and took a fight stance. If he hadn’t been scared shitless about her reaction it would’ve been funny- no matter how good a kick-boxer she might be, he was twice her size and 100 times her strength. After years of fighting he knew many ways to subdue an enemy. But she was anything but his enemy.

“Oh my God, Max…” Her voice was tiny and laced with fear as she thought about her son. She knew she never should have let him go away. She had played right into their hands. Tom knew exactly where he was.

The terror radiating off of her now nearly brought him to his knees. “No Liz, please, Max is OK, please listen to me, PLEASE.”

She stood as stiff as a statue, rooted in place, arms still raised, realizing she had no choice. I need to find out all I can before I kill him, she was thinking. So I can get to Max.

“What did you see?”

“Stars. Water. A futuristic-looking city.”

“That would be my home.” He swallowed hard, groping for the right words. This is harder than the first time, he thought.

“And where exactly would that be?”

“Antar.”

Antar. The place that had given her the love of her life and the place that had taken him away. The place that could rightly lay claim to her son and take him away too. The word sliced through her like salt poured into an open wound.

“Antar.” She repeated it, trying to focus her mind. She had so many questions, but they would have to wait until she ascertained who he was, what he wanted, and most of all, how much danger Max was in.

“So who exactly are you and what do you want?” She forced herself to appear calm.

His stomach was in his throat; he opened his mouth to reply but nothing came out. He swallowed and tried again.

“It’s me, Liz.”

“Me who.”

“Me. Max.”

Her eyes narrowed to slits as she stared at him and every hair on her body stood on end. “I know three different ways to break your neck so I would advise you not to lie to me again. Who are you.” Her words hissed through her teeth.

“Max, Liz; I’m Max.”

She pulled herself fully upright to look as menacing as possible. “Bullshit. Max can’t shape-shift to look like someone else. This is the last time I’m asking- who are you and who sent you here.”

“I didn’t shape-shift Liz. It’s kind of a mind warp- a mind illusion really. My appearance hasn’t changed. I’ve made you think that I look different than I do. See?”

The handsome blond face before her vanished and Max’s face appeared. The face that she still saw in her dreams only matured by years of trial and separation. His hair was still long but it was the beautiful brown she remembered. Smooth skin, rosy lips, and big ears. The eyes didn’t change though. She avoided looking directly into them. Keep your head clear Liz, you have to be two steps ahead of him.

“You just proved that you’re a shape-shifter. Max didn’t have the power to mind warp.”

Not being able to help himself, he chuckled at her. “Well I guess you could say that living on a planet with aliens for the past 18 years has taught me a few things.” He sobered instantly and dropped his voice, pleading with her to believe him. “Liz, it’s me, I swear. I told you I would come back for you. It just took a lot longer than I ever imagined it would.”

She shook her head vehemently. “You’ve constructed an entire identity to deceive me- if you were Max you wouldn’t have to hide yourself from me. He would know that. He does know that.” Revulsion was beginning to wash over her. She had been loyal to Max for so long, and now she betrayed him with- well, she still didn’t know whom.

“Liz, I had no idea what had happened to you. I didn’t know if you had married or where you were or even if you were alive. I didn’t know how you’d react to me when you saw me. I probably would’ve told you a lot sooner, but then I found out about Max, and I didn’t know what he’d think. From what you’ve told me tonight, I made the right choice.”

“Don’t you dare speak my son’s name,” she hissed.

“It’s my name too. Liz, if you let me connect with you, you’ll see that, you know, I’m still me.”

Her head jerked and her eyes locked on his. She had heard those same words, so many years ago. They had changed her life.

He took a step toward her. “Liz, please.” He was begging her, knowing he had to show her beyond any shadow of a doubt that it really was him.

Being torn between fear and knowing this would show her what she needed to know, she nodded her head almost imperceptibly.

He gently placed his hands on either side of her face and gazed into her eyes. He could feel her body shaking as he said, “relax and let your mind go blank.”

The rush of images came immediately.

His adoration of her from afar. Her healing. Their first kiss. Making love together. Various scenes from their relationship. Their tortuous goodbye. Max in battle; as a leader; as a King. The infamous cupcake dress.

But more than the images she felt all of his emotions over the past 18 years. His fear of not being accepted in his “homeland”. His bravery in battle and his compassion for those who served under him. His pride in being regarded a great ruler. But through it all there was one recurring sentiment.

Loneliness.

Its overpowering presence permeated every fiber of his being. Being surrounded by family, comrades, adoring subjects did nothing to lift him from the desolation he existed in.

When they were young, his loneliness came from his conscious decision to separate himself from others for protection. He dealt with it in silence, throwing up a wall if anyone came too close. Loneliness was a by-product of being who he was. It was painful but survivable.

But that was before Liz had loved him. Before he knew that it was possible for every cell in his body to be satiated with love and to know that love was returned just as strong. Whoever had written, “it is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all” was wrong. Dead wrong. Knowing that there was something, someone, who could make the gnawing despair that lived in his veins go away was worse. Far worse.

He had lived in a glass cage for 18 years, waiting for the time he could return to the woman who held his heart in her hands.

And she knew. He had waited for her, just like she had been waiting for him. There was no one else. Ever. There never could be.

It was Max. Her Max.

He removed his hands from her face and asked “did it work?”

Just as it had been all of those years ago, she continued staring deep into his eyes, into his soul, and nodded.

Then she did the only thing she could do.

She cocked her arm back and punched him full force in the face.
tazno
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by tazno »

CHAPTER 10

Holy shit that hurt.

Who would think that such a small woman could pack a punch like that. Caught off guard, she had hit him on the jaw forcing him back a few steps. He brought his hand up to rub the area and looked at her.

“I thought it wor…”

“You bastard.”

Liz was shaking from the rush of anger that had flooded her system. It took her by surprise as much as it did him.

All the years she had dreamed of their reunion, it was always the same- falling into his arms, kissing him senseless and hearing words of love pour from his lips. She never in a million years would have suspected she’d feel such rage towards him.

But there it was. Pulsing through her veins like a locomotive run amuck, it began to take on a life of its own. After all, it had had 18 years to gestate. She began pacing and wringing her hands trying to form a coherent thought.

“Liz what…”

“You fucking bastard.”

Max was in shock. He had never heard her swear like this, but that was the least of his concerns. He had no idea where she was coming from at the moment, no way to gauge what her next action would be. In all the years he had dreamed of their reunion, it had always been the same- pulling her into his arms, kissing her senseless and letting her know that he was never going to let her go again.

There was no way he could be prepared for the freight train that was about to run him over.

Then back up.

Then run him over again.

She stopped her frantic pacing and turned, positioned the cross hairs on him and fired.

“Let me get this straight. All this time. You were able to come back. You were able to come back for the past 18 years. 18 years. What’s the matter, Max, didn’t they give the King a copy of the trans-planetary bus schedule? Couldn’t fit it into your busy schedule? Didn’t occur to you to ask the saucer mechanic to tune it up so you could take it for a spin?” Sarcasm was oozing out of her pores as she spoke.

“Liz, I couldn’t, we…”

“You couldn’t send someone else? A messenger? Tie a note to an alien homing pigeon? Attempt any kind of contact? Nothing? Did you even try? Or was it just easier to do nothing and let me spend the past 18 years in limbo?”

“It’s not that simple Liz…”

“No? Well looks like you had no problem finding your way here now. And after waiting 18 years, instead of wanting to be with me you chose to lie to me. You chose to disguise yourself and try and seduce me to see if I’d go for it. Was that a fun little game for you? Find out that I’ve been alone all this time and then see if you could bait me into ‘cheating’ on the real you?”

“Liz please, you don’t understand…”

“Let me tell you what I DO understand. I understand that for the last 18 years of my life I’ve walked around in a fog. Wondering when the phone rang, or when someone was at the door, if it was you. Wondering if you were even still alive. I understand that I raised my son alone. That he never knew his father; that he has suffered because of my choices. I understand that every year on the anniversary of when you left I die a little bit more. Now I understand that not only didn’t I rate high enough for any attempt at contact, when you finally did do something, you chose to deceive me. I understand perfectly. I’m second. If that.”

“You have never been second …”

“Oh really. Well from my perspective it sure looks that way.”

“Are you going to allow me to say anything at all?” He’d had it. He could understand her hurt and anger over the length of their separation, about the ruse he’d used for the past few months, about a lot of things; but to be accused of putting her after anything or anyone in his life was too much. He’d endured too much.

His tone made her hold her tongue for a moment, just long enough for him to begin.

“Second? Every action I’ve taken in the past 18 years began and ended with one thought- how will this help me get back to Liz faster. Every battle, every negotiation- finishing this will bring me closer to being with Liz again. Waking up every morning & going to sleep every night with the same thought- you. Your face. Your smile. I’ve suffered too Liz; you’re not the only one who spent the last 18 years alone. But I always thought I could handle it because I had you. In here.” He pointed to his heart. “You have never been second in my life. NEVER.”

His words left her paralyzed with confusion. The adrenaline was still pulsing through her but her feet remained glued in place, her head spinning around the room, her mind unsure of where to go next.

He took advantage of her hesitation and moved slowly until he was standing inches from her. When they were young it had been him keeping her at arms length until she had finally convinced him that love was worth all of the risks they’d have to face. Now it was his turn.

“Liz.” He breathed out her name as he looked down upon her, willing her to move her eyes up to his. “Liz please look at me.”

She was torn. The anger had receded somewhat, allowing what he said to sink in, but so many thoughts and feelings were flying around her head they left her dizzy.

“Liz.”

Slowly she raised her face and looked up at him. Looking in his eyes she wondered how she didn’t recognize him before this. Yes, they were changed, world-weary, as if they’d been witness to things no eyes should have to see, but they were the same deep amber pools she’d lost herself in when she was 16. When she looked into those eyes she could see herself.

“Liz I’m sorry that I lied to you. I didn’t plan for it to end up like this. When Kyle told me you had moved here…”

“Kyle? You’ve seen Kyle? He knows you’re here?”

“Well, I went back to Roswell looking for you; you know, it being the logical place to start. I heard that the sheriff’s name was still Valenti so I went to his office expecting to find Jim, but found Kyle instead.”

“Yeah, Kyle’s been the sheriff for about 10 years now.”

“You knew?”

“Well yeah, I mean, I sold the Crashdown to Maria’s mom and Jim- they’re married now- so we hear Roswell news through her.”

“Oh. Of course. Well, Kyle told me you had moved here and that you were a professor at Riverton. He didn’t tell me much about anything else because he had to run out on a call. I asked him not to say anything to anyone about seeing me. I came out here without really knowing what I was going to do, how I would approach you. I went to Riverton and found out they needed an astronomy professor.”

“Yeah, how did you manage that, I mean, you don’t actually have a degree,” Liz asked.

Max grinned. “Well I guess you could say that this is one of those cases when work in the field is more valuable than book knowledge. And diplomas aren’t that hard to uh, come up with, if you’re me. I thought I’d just watch you for awhile-“

“You mean spy on me,” she said with a raised eyebrow.

He ignored the comment and continued. “I never expected you to walk into my room that day. Then Alex invited me to dinner and I knew that I should keep my distance, but I had to be near you even if you didn’t know it was me. I know that’s selfish but I couldn’t help it.”

No longer angry, Liz was listening with rapt attention. She had so many questions. “What about Michael and Isabel. Are they here too?”

“No. Isabel adjusted really well on Antar; she ended up getting married and has 3 kids.” He smiled widely as he thought of his sister’s family. “A girl and two boys. The girl is exactly like Isabel. I told her that’s proof that God has a sense of humor. I wish Iz could meet Max. She’d love him; he’s actually a lot like one of my nephews.”

“And Michael?”

For the first time Max looked away from her. His face clouded over with pain and she thought she saw the glimmer of tears well up in his eye.

“Michael- Michael died. Protecting me.” He wiped away the tear that rolled down his cheek.

She was stunned. “Oh my god, I’m so sorry.”

“He pushed me out of the way and was hit in my place. He was so brave, Liz; he was the best warrior we had. He was the best friend I’ll ever have.”

“I’m so sorry.” She was choking up herself now, realizing how much he had dealt with and suffered through alone. “Did he have a family?”

“No. He would never admit it but I really believe he wanted to come back here for Maria. I think he was waiting, just like me.”

They stood in silence for a moment, together mourning the loss of a friend, of memories of what was and what could have been. Regaining his composure he turned back toward her.

“Liz, I’m sorry that I hurt you, that I lied to you; I didn’t mean to, but I couldn’t just show up after all this time without knowing what was going on in your life first. I thought you may have found someone else, maybe gotten married, and I didn’t want to ruin your life.” His voice dropped down to a whisper. “Again.”

Her confusion vanished. If there was one thing she was sure of, it was this. Looking deep into his eyes she said, “you never ruined my life. You gave me the only true happiness I’ve ever known.”

Reaching out to take her hands in his, his voice cracked with emotion. “I’ve missed you so much. My life has been empty without you. The only time I felt anything near happiness was when I was dreaming of you or our reunion.” He had to smirk as he brought his hand back to his jaw. “I didn’t exactly picture you punching me though.”

She laughed softly and reached up to touch the bruise that had begun to form. “Um, yeah, sorry about that. I didn’t plan that either.”

Covering her hand with his he brought it to his mouth and softly pressed his lips on her fingertips. “Liz I love you so much. I’ve loved you from the first day I ever saw you and will until the day that I die. Please tell me its not too late. Please tell me you’ll give this- give us- another chance. Please Liz.” His eyes, his body, everything about him was pleading with her to let him in.

The adrenaline freight train was back in her bones but this time it carried her in the opposite direction of anger.

Trembling from head to toe she moved her hand down and placed it flat on his chest and pushed him away slightly to look him in the eye. “What if you have to leave again. What if you have to go back. I couldn’t live through that again. I won’t.”

“You won’t have to. I’m not going back Liz, I made that clear when I left. I will never leave you again. I can’t do it either. I won’t.”

Feeling herself spiraling helplessly into his mesmerizing gaze and feeling the love pouring off of him, she did the only thing she could do.

She threw herself into his arms and kissed him senseless.

The shock of her sudden about-face stunned him momentarily, then he threw his arms around her in a crushing embrace. They kissed hungrily, savagely, as if each was trying to inhale the other. Their hands grabbed at whatever clothing or skin they landed on, their movements almost violent.

After all it had been 18 years. 18 years without the feel of each other’s touch, the sound of each other’s voice, the kiss of each other’s lips.

They fell to their knees simultaneously. Any remaining rational thoughts flew out the window as years of frustrated need and desire exploded in a flash of moving hands, lips, and moans. Liz pushed him down onto his back and he pulled her down onto his chest roughly, not wanting an extra second to pass without the feel of her body next to his.

After all it had been 18 years. 18 years of feeling empty and alone and aching.

No thought was given to preliminaries as Max pulled her dress over her hips and she whipped the zipper on his pants down. She freed his straining member from his boxers as he tried in vain to remove her panties, finally in frustration tearing them from her body. She impaled herself on him and they moved together hard, fast, gracelessly, as they sought an end to their raging hunger.

After all it had been 18 years. 18 years of not being with each other. Or anyone else.

They both quickly came to their climax with loud cries of satisfaction and she collapsed on top of him, their chests heaving together desperately seeking oxygen.

After all it had been- oh, you get the picture.

As their breathing returned to normal and the quiet of the moment settled upon them they did the only thing they could do.

They began to cry.