It’s Not...the End of the World (CC M/L-Mature) 1/1 06/25/11

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

PML
Obsessed Roswellian

It’s Not...the End of the World (CC M/L-Mature) 1/1 06/25/11

Post by PML »

It’s Not Like it’s the End of the World

Author- PML

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended.

Category- CC M/L

Rating- Mature

Summary- This story starts isn’t quite a tag to my wrath piece. But it is another take on what might have been during those season and in many ways series defining moment when Max believes he has lost Liz to Kyle.

Max-

Max knew it was late. And Liz had been pushing him away.

But Max needed her. Now more than ever. Didn’t she see that? Didn’t she realize just how important she had become to him? That she was his salvation.

Max closed his eyes. It wasn’t fair to Liz. He knew that. Knew that he should leave her be. To give her the space she said she craved.

But then why did he feel her eyes on him all the time? Why did he feel her need of him, hidden often, but there? Why did she always pull him in only to push him away.

This latest scheme of trying to get him to be with Tess…. This was just the latest in a long line of actions that was slowly driving him crazy.

And it was complicating his relations with Tess. Because he was beginning to think she was starting to understand that he was never going to be hers. Not in the way she thought. But that maybe they could be friends.

He hoped so. It was hard to curb some of his statements when she rattled on about their supposed Destiny, but learning as much as he could about their past would be useful. Particulary since Nasedo’s death. Max was no responsible for keeping them all safe.

He crept into the alley that was near her window and softly called up. He could see some light leak from the upper story. She was still awake. But it was possible she wasn’t on her balcony.

What now?

Max had in his pockets tickets to a Gomez concert for this Friday. Liz loved them and it had been hard for Max to score both of these tickets at such a late date.

Surely she would want to go. Even if only as friends.

Max could live with that. Sure. He could accept them just being friends. If only she would spend some time with him. If only she would be with him if only a little.

Max thought of Maria as he pondered climbing the stairs.

He would really have to speak with Michael about his actions with Courtney. He could almost see what his hot-headed friend was doing. Investigating the new girl. But if Courtney was a Skin, Michael was in danger.

Max sighed. If Courtney was truly a Skin, they were all in danger. Because she had been among them for months without detection. Was the enemy that hard to see?

Then again, Whitaker had been a US House Representative! Maybe they were.

Still, Max needed to talk to him. Because even if it were simply attraction and not some half considered ploy to investigate the girl, he needed to be more considerate of his friends. Seeing Maria broken up like that…..

Max imagined what he would do if he caught Liz wrapped only in a towel with another man.

Max’s heart clenched in pain. It was a memory of the flash he’d had from Maria. But still…. It would hurt him as bad.

Max opened his eyes. It wasn’t likely that he would see that, at least not in surprise. Liz was much too honest for that. It might be that she would find someone else. That she would find her normal human that she claimed she wanted…

That would hurt.

But it wasn’t likely that it would come solely out of the blue. No, Max would see her slowly starting her dating cycle. It would be death by tiny cuts, but at least he would be able to deal with it.

It would hurt, but he would survive.

A sudden shock? He didn’t know if he could be as strong as Maria.

It amazed him that his ditzy friend had as much depth to her as she did. But once you got past the oils and neuroses, she was very strong.

It was Maria that had kept him sane this summer. Had been the one to hold him together. The two of them consoling the other over their lost loves, even as they both pursued them with all their might.

To see her finally giving up. To see her so certain it was over. It broke Max’s heart.

Max had to have better luck. He HAD to.

Max began his climb up the wall.

As always the last bit was always easier for him. Not that scaling a normal brick wall was that tough for Max. He could always use his powers to make sure the wall gave him enough of a hand hold. But if someone walked by while he was doing it…. If they saw the slight glow from his finger tips….

No he was always happier when he got to the ladder and pulled himself up it.

He heard a softly speaking male voice followed by Liz’s laughter?

Alex maybe? That could be why she wasn’t out on the balcony. Although this was fairly late.

He peeked over to look into the room. The drapes were pulled open so he had a clear view.

Of Liz’s right leg, bare to the upper thigh, where it slide into the cover bouncing slightly as she talked to Kyle. A shirtless Kyle seated up by the headboard of Liz’s bed. Max’s gaze flitted to Liz as he saw her face light up with laughter. She was as far as he could see wearing nothing, although the blanket covered all but her leg and the upper part of her breasts.

How could they do this to him!

He saw as Liz caught his gaze. Max saw shame and guilt and pain fill her eyes.

So this was what her normal guys speech was about? Kyle? She was seeing Kyle again?

Max pulled himself over the railing and began his descent. A descent that was more than just down a wall.

He felt as his heart was crushed and all the certainties of the world vanished. For he could still feel a connection to Liz. Could still feel as if he were her deepest love.

But that was obviously not so if she was sleeping with Kyle now was it.

Rage filled him and he paused in his climb. He looked back up the ladder.

Those two had been the largesse of his greatest gifts. He had brought both of them back from certain death, and this was how they repaid him?

He was half tempted to rush up there and take those gifts back. To let them die as fate had originally dictated.

Only…..

If Liz were dead…. IF she were gone forever, then he truly would be lost.

Because even if she had chosen Kyle for now, who could say what might happen in the future? Perhaps she would tire of him, just as she had tired of Max. And maybe, just maybe she would remember him. And even if that never happened, maybe this would open up a chance to just be friends.

It would be hard for him. Max knew that he would always want to be with her. Would always want to claim Liz as his.

But to have her die?

No. He couldn’t do it. He loved her too much.

Killing Kyle made as little sense.

As much as he hated the man at the moment for stealing Liz, doing so would be a betrayal of the Sheriff’s trust.

No. He would just have to live with this. Somehow continue on with his heart broken and his senses shattered. Because he simply could not believe that she would…..

Dazedly Max continued his descent.

At the end of the ladder he hung for a few moments, Holding on to the last of his hope.

He was about to drop when it came to him.

Liz had spent the last couple of days in increasingly more blatant attempts to push him away. They hadn’t been effective, because he could feel her emotional make up. Could tell that she was lying to him.

‘And maybe I am being a bit stalkerish,’ Max thought ruefully. ‘Maybe I am pushing her too hard.’

He hung there and he thought. Letting the weight of his body pull at the muscles in his arms. The stain fell good, real.

Unlike what he had seen just now. That didn’t feel real. Even though he had seen it.

Maybe it wasn’t. That casual meeting with Tess the other night had been a set up. Why couldn’t this have been?

‘Liz wouldn’t be so cruel to me. Would she?’ Max thought swinging his weight slightly. ‘Would she even thing of something like this? Unless….”

Of course. What had happened to Maria. Maria would have told Liz, and Liz could have set this up. But how would she know when to set it up.

The timing of it all was a problem.

But then the set up with Tess had been timed perfectly.

Maybe she was getting some help. Not important. No, the important thing was to see if what he suspected was true. In which case he had to hurry.

Max started climbing back up again. This time determined to find the truth. He saw Kyle putting on a shirt and arguing softly with Liz.

Liz was still in bed, crying.

Good, she was still in the same position.

He rushed to the window sill and sent a series of weak blasts along into the room.

The first was to stagger Kyle back into the wall. To give Max enough time to enter the room.

The second and third was to peel back the covers Liz was buried under. She squealed in shock. And covered up her bare chest.

Max’s eyes tightened. Had he been wrong about this? Had hey actually….

No, Max’s eyes spotted the top of one of Liz’s bikini’s.

Of course, wouldn’t want to have a free display for Kyle to ogle, even if he got a few good views in. But make it look realistic….

Very artful… The rest of the bikini covered her as well as any normal undergarments would have. No sweat or dampness. No sign that this had been anything other than a well timed ploy to crush him.

Liz glared at him as she covered herself. “Do you have anything to say for yourself Evans?”

Max couldn’t help but look at her beautiful body. So much lovely olive toned skin to see. He just wanted to reach out and feel its smoothness against his hands.

Perhaps even to touch those sweet breasts that Liz had mostly hidden with her hands and arm.

Max simply said, “Go home Kyle. I don’t know what happened here, but I am positive it was Liz’s instigation. I won’t hold it against you.”

Kyle’s voice was dry, “Well if it’s all the same to you, I don’t know if I trust you alone with Liz. You seem a little hot under the collar.” He was also staring at Liz and admiring her.

Liz said through gritted teeth, “Kyle, just go home. And thanks. Evans, my eyes are up HERE.”

Max smiled and winked at Liz, he looked over at Kyle. “See, the lady agrees with me. So go home, we will talk later.”

Kyle reached over and grabbed a towel and tossed it at Liz, “Are you sure?”

“Yeah,” Liz said, “There are many things I wish I could say about Max Evans. But I am safe with him here. He won’t hurt me…. Physically.”

Kyle nodded, ”Right” He finished getting dressed and left.

Both Liz and Max just stared at each other.

Liz wrapped the towel around her. She sighed, “What will it take for you to stop loving me Max? I have been searching so hard to find it, and I can’t. God, I thought I would die when I told you that I didn’t love you and that whole spiel about Romeo and Juliet….”

Max moved towards her, “Which I knew were lies. I could hear it in your voice. See it in your eyes.” He closed his eyes, “You almost had me fooled with this. It was close. But even then I could still feel you. I could still feel your love within me.”

Liz was crying, “Max we can’t be together. We just can’t.”

“Why, Liz. Why?” He was seated on the bed now, holding her. Careful to keep the towel between them, but very aware of the slight fabric. So close to touching her. So very close.

Liz clung to him as she cried. She didn’t say anything. Just held him.

Max was more than happy to hold her. Content to stay here like this forever.

He was surprised when she kissed him. But he was more than happy to kiss her back.

Moments later she pushed him away as they were scavenging or air. She looked up at him, her face a mixture of sadness and longing. “I have failed, I think. I can’t keep pushing you away, Max. No matter how important it is.”

Max stiffened. “Why, Liz. Why have you tried to push me away. I mean, I know that I probably have been pushy. And,” He looked away, “I wish I could say I am sorry for that. Because I know you have simply wanted normal.” He looked back at her. Looked deep into her dark eyes, “But you keep pulling me back too. Just when I think you are gone, that I can no longer hope, you pull me back in. Sometimes with a word or a glance or a kiss. And, well its gotten to the point where I am beginning to think I am getting stalkerish.”

Liz giggled and nodded. “Oh, I feel hunted. And yet. Max, you make me feel safe and loved.” Her face turned solemn, “But I don’t think I am what you need. You need Tess. Not me.”

Max just rolled his eyes, “Why do you say that? I mean I expect it of her, but why you?” Max’s eyes tightened, “Did she do anything to you? Can I, can I check?”

Liz shook her head, “You heard the same message I did. She was your wife.”

“And I died. Till death to you part. I died. Marriage over. New life.” Max’s eyes surveyed Liz, the towel had slipped a little. “New wife. Someday. If you want.”

Liz gasped. “I do. Oh, God Max I do. But if you neglect your people, if you neglect your legacy, something awful might happen.”

Max chuckled, “Liz? First off, we don’t even know if they still know we are alive. I mean we used the communicator, but we haven’t seen anyone outside of Whitaker on the alien front. And seriously, even if we had, if they have needed to wait fifty plus years for me to come back to save them…. Are they really people I want to lead? Particularly if they expect me to be some carbon copy of a man I don’t remember in the slightest? No Liz, that won’t work.” He smiled at her.

Liz looked at him, “You know this is unbelievably unfair, Max. I’m stuck in a towel and a bikini bottom. You have most of your clothes on. Can you at least take off your shirt, you know give me a little more moral high ground.”

“More of a moral high ground, huh.” Max carefully unbuttoned his shirt, “That is the only reason huh?”

Liz blushed a little. She did tilt her head a little and watched him. After he removed his shirt, she placed her hands against his chest and rolled them up and down. “Hmmm. I always wondered, you know. Particularly when I saw you work out last year. Firm but soft. I always thought they had to feel like that. But its not the same feeling you through a shirt. Your skin is warmer.” She leaned against him, “And your heartbeat…..”

Max looked down at Liz, trying not to be stunned by her actions. Although he could feel his heart start to race. What exactly was going on?

Not that he was complaining at the moment. He just was a little confused.

Liz backed away and looked up at him with a solemn look. “Okay, Max. I just have to say something, well ask a quick question and then make a brief statement. Then we are going to make out.”

“I thought we already were, well somewhat.”

“Um, yeah, but if the knowledge I have is any guide, we may go a little, um, overboard in our make out session.”

Max rubbed one ear, “Okay, I promise to be as quiet as I can, last thing I want is to be caught like we were last year in the eraser room.”

Liz blushed, “Yeah, that was more me. But same thing. Um, do you really have a condom in your back pocket?”

Max felt as his face heated, “Well you see….”

Liz giggled, scrambled over and reached to his back pocket and grabbed the packet. “Wow. Max the Saint really is carrying a condom. Wow. Never would have thought it.”

“Maria gave it to me,” Max blurted.

“Oh, this aught to be good. Go on. Tell me why my best friend in the whole universe gave you, the boy of my dream a condom,” Liz’s face looked solemn, but her eyes danced with mirth.

Max pulled back, placed his arms across his chest, and said, “Well, it was because of Michael. She reached into her purse and well, you know about the whole Courtney incident?”

Liz nodded, this time sadly.

“Yeah, well she said she wasn’t going to need it anymore, might as well give it to someone with a chance to use it some day.” Max’s face was still burning, “I honestly forgot it was still there. Honest.”

Liz smiled and set it on the table beside her bed. “Well, despite what he said, and the fact you really did have one, I don’t think we will need it.” She said softly, “Tonight anyway. I just don’t think either of us are ready.” She dropped the towel, “Now, second base. Should have been here this summer, no point in waiting now.”

“Liz?” Max carefully looked at her eyes.

“Fourteen years, Max. That is all we have. Although lets see if we can do better than a Vegas wedding this time.” She reached out and took one of his hands and placed them on one of her breasts, “Really I thought this would be more intuitive for you.”

Max’s eyes tightened and he used a tiny bit of his power to reach into her body and feel along her neural pathways. Stoke like this and she will feel….

Liz moaned and smiled, “Better, you were getting me worried. Now don’t let the other one get lonely, now. Maybe kiss it. Mmm, that would feel good, Your mouth and lips caressing me.”

How could he refuse?

Only.

Would he actually be able to stop himself and remember what she had been saying? Or would he simply and happily drown himself in his pleasure and the feedback from hers?

His eyes glanced at the condom. Why did she think they might actually need it?

“How do you know all this Liz. The condom, all the timing the last couple of days. All these setups so carefully planned to break me. And now this, what is going on.” He finished with a tiny burst of healing energy applied to the tip of her nipple on her right breast. He thumbed the now rock hard tip, firing little burst of energy that made her neural pathways light up like fire.

Liz whimpered slightly, her eyes slightly closed. “Don’t stop Max. Please, keep going.”

“Tell me why you were trying so hard to break me.” He moved closer, his other hand now roaming across her belly. Also firing those tiny probing sparks. Searching for the places that brought the most pleasure.

“Tess. We have to keep Tess here. If we don’t, in fourteen years we all die.” He kissed her other breast, eyes still on here. Still trying to keep his mind focused.

He wasn’t going to last long. Her hands were roaming along him now. And she might not have his powers, but she certainly knew a few of his more sensitive spots.

Liz words were a little slurred. Her mouth next to his ear. “Later. I just know that I failed.” Her laugh was deep and throaty, “Never been so happy to fail before. But I will tell you everything.”

Max pulled back a little to look her in the eyes, “Promise?”

Liz’s eyes were clear and truthful, “Everything. But we need to be nice to Tess. It’ll be hard. But we need her.” Her voice became fierce, “But I am not giving you up. Never. Mine, Max Evans. DO you understand that? You are mine!”

Max just smiled and kissed her.

There would still be problems. There always were. But right now they weren’t so important.

In her arms they always seemed to fade away. Whether now or in fourteen years, or whenever. He knew that he could never leave her.

For together they could do anything.

Anything.

-----

And so they cemented their relationship. (It was months before they used the condom. Neither one of them truly was ready for that step, Future Max’s comments not withstanding. They did get there though.)

It wasn’t sex that cemented it. It was the honesty. Because in this time and place, after they woke in each others arms, they truly talked and discussed what had happened.

At some point, Future Max had disappeared or had left. Liz never saw him again, save in the lines and silvering of her own Max’s face and hair.

But they were much more careful in this timeline, so perhaps it was a true change.

Tess had not fled Roswell. She had been bitter and angry. But somehow they all worked it out.

Would it be enough?

Max didn’t know. He was taking it one day at a time. And cherished every minute that Liz was at his side.