I Heard You Calling (CC,TEEN) COMPLETE - 3/27/11

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: I Heard You Calling (CC,TEEN) COMPLETE - 3/27/11

Post by ken_r »

keepsmiling7
begonia9508
mary mary

Chapter 23

Jimmy was driving Max. In forty years, cars changed a lot. In forty years any training Max had had to get a driver’s license had faded far away. Years ago, Max had created crystalline structure in carbon and made himself some raw diamonds. Now, the diamond market was even more controlled. Any raw diamonds, which had no papers were thought to be “blood diamonds.” That is diamonds on the black market used to finance revolutions in many countries.

In his youth, they had counterfeited money. At first, they had just tried to change strips of paper into money with manipulation of ink dyes. That didn’t work and they nearly got caught. Then, the next thing was to change the denomination of bills. Changing one dollar bills into twenties. The paper was correct. That did pass close inspection, but Liz put her foot down. She was through with illegal activities. Max was not sure that the new bills would be that interchangeable anyway. Liz had a small retirement and if that is all they had, so be it. Now, Max was going to try something else. It was evident that he was a senior citizen and he was going to try to offer his services at a pet hospital. Senior citizens were seldom questioned about their past, when they were applying for menial jobs. It was assumed that they had proved themselves at some previous career. Max would start as just a puppy handler and try to work up to a position of veterinary assistant. His first thing was to find a small, but busy practice where the vet would appreciate the help and be likely to move Max up to positions of more responsibility. As Liz healed him, he found some of his powers returning slowly. He still wasn’t able to return his vision in his left eye. If his healing powers returned, no one would look too carefully for silver handprints on their Pomeranians. This might be a safe outlet for Max returning to what he could do.

The wars on Antar had destroyed the wildlife. The only creatures left besides the Antarians, were a few food animals. The coming famine sent the few remaining scientist to looking into other channels of raising protein. Growing up, the Evans family had never had pets. Max did remember that those neighbors who did have pets as having a great amount of love for their creatures. Maybe, that was another thing that was missing from the Antar culture. Having animals in any wild situation was not even understood. For generations on Antar, utility measured every scrap of land and every creature allowed to be on it. The companionship of a cat, a puppy or even a gerbil was an index for Max to judge humanity. This was something Max wanted to expand within himself.

Maria, Janice, Isabel and Ava were sitting down to what would have been called a “Tea” in another culture. Maria was drinking a wine cooler while both Ava and Isabel were showing their difference as aliens by drinking Lemonade. Janice just had an iced tea. “I understand, Jimmy Valenti is teaching Max how to drive,” Ava said.

“Yes, both boys seem to be coming close friends to the aliens,” Maria responded. “Sammy was over helping Michael with his sculpture, yesterday. He and Michael were discussing, architecture and construction as an art forms,” she continued.

“Sammy’s girlfriend wants to major in mechanical engineering. He asked me if I thought my dad would let him bring her over to talk about sculpture and the materials that you would use,” stated Janice.

“Jimmy and Mandy were talking to Max the other day about medical problems. Max has borrowed several of the books from the vet where he works,” Ava added.

“Yes, it is a long distance from healing those children in Phoenix to doctoring Puppies in West Roswell, “Isabel stated. “Max says that he is trying to find something human to expand within himself. He says that loving animals may be strictly a human trait,” she continued.

Maria turned to Ava. That, in itself, was difficult. For as long as Maria had known Liz, Maria had been Liz’s closest friend. Now, the blonde alien seemed to know more about her friend than did she. “Speaking about love life, how are Max and Liz getting along?” she asked.

“Liz doesn’t say much about their intimate life,” Ava replied.

“Well, I would imagine that you might have dream walked them or something, a time or two,” Maria stated.

Ava blushed, “Maria, I really try not to peak into private dreams.”

Maria turned to Isabel, “Princess, what about you? I would imagine that you would be quite concerned about your brother.”

“Maria, right now, Max and Liz are at a very delicate stage in their relationship. I have been afraid that if I ever knew too much, I might say the wrong thing and really hurt both of them.”

Maria snorted. “Well, how do we know if we have to have an intervention or something, if no one knows how things are going with them?”

Both Ava and Isabel grimaced at that statement. “We don’t,” Isabel said. “We just have to hope for the best.”

Then, Janice spoke up. “On a smaller scale, has anyone noticed that our scouts are getting amorous recently?

Maria said, “I guess I have missed things being out of town”

“Mandy, finally, got Jimmy to start looking at her and that has really set off her father. Sammy has a girl friend from the other side of town and Louise has started texting a man over in Alamogordo,” Janice informed all of them.

“Then with all this romance in the air, I am sure that some of it will rub off on Max and Liz,” Maria stated.

Janice took a deep breath. She had something to say and it was as if she feared criticism. “I have a date this weekend,” she said.

Maria, always the diva, threw her hands up in the air. “Saints, be praised. Maybe, we will have grandkids yet!” she cried.

“Mom, it’s a date, not an engagement,” Janice cautioned Maria.

“Who is this blessed man who would take my only child for the night?” Maira pretended to wail.

“Mom, it is not for the night. It is for a dinner, maybe a movie and a lot of talk. Ed Valenti called me last night,” Janice informed them.

“Ed Valenti,” both Ava and Maria exclaimed. Then they both were talking at the same time again.

Maria said, “Does he know all about you? Does he know that Michael is your father? Is he safe to be with?”

Ava stated at the same time, “That is wonderful. Maybe, he is getting some sense. That might mean that he won’t be so hard on Kyle, now.”

Janice held up her hand. , “Girls, one at a time. I wrung him out about two weeks ago about letting his fear of alien things get in the way of his relationship with both Jimmy and Kyle. Then, while you were at the ballgame, I found myself walking by his place and he invited me to stop a few minutes in the shade. He offered me a Coke and we talk a bit. He actually asked me to tell him more about aliens. Thus, the call last night. I had already agreed to tell him more about aliens and their families, so, I don’t see how a dinner can hurt me,” Janice explained.

The scouts were working at Mr. Hanson’s home. “Oh, lordy, take me now, Ed Valenti has a date with an alien child! There is just no more to see in this life,” Mr. Hanson cried.

The scouts had worked all morning and were sitting with Mr. Hanson eating burgers in the shade. Jimmy had just mentioned that his father had a date with Janice Guerin this evening. Jimmy knew how much his father missed his mother. Maybe, a lot of his grouchiness was just loneliness. Jimmy saw his father spending time with a woman, whom Jimmy considered a close friend, was a good sign. Listening to the words of Mr. Hanson, Jimmy saw that maybe, his father was lightening up on aliens, also.

Ed Valenti was scared as he picked Ms. Guerin up for dinner. It had been years since he dated. What would a woman like this expect out of a dinner? Kyle was a man about the world, but his son had only really had one girlfriend and he had married her. Somewhere way back in his mind he heard, “She will wiggle her nose and poof you away. He also heard, “If you make her mad, she will shoot rays out of her eyes and melt you away.” Of course, both of these phrases were ridiculous. Ed did not know where they came from. Maybe, something his mother had said many years ago. She never could reconcile Kyle’s past friends, especially if he alluded to them being out of this world.

When he was courting Sheila, they had gone to a Chinese-Mexican-American restaurant. Señior Chow had passed on many years ago. Two of his children still ran the place, so at least that was a place where Ed felt safe.

Ed Valenti was not the only one nervous about tonight’s date. Janice usually dressed very leisurely in respect to her reputation of being a very free spirit. Many of her acquaintances might view her dress this evening as giving in to the proper establishment. After carefully thinking, Janice decided her independence from the establishment was best shown in making choices free from what other’s might think. That is, other’s except for Ed Valenti. Janice had said this was only a date, even though she saw that her mother had picked up a copy of “Brides Today” magazine at the grocery store. Janice did want Ed’s respect because of his son, Jimmy. She had not allowed herself to think much beyond tonight’s date. Hip hugger jeans and tennis shoes were not the look she wanted tonight.

Janice had not worn nylon hose for a long time. She remembered something about graduation, she had trouble remembering if it was when her parents had more say in how she dressed in high school graduation or maybe, it was something she remembered from college graduation. Tonight, she was dressed in nylons and medium height heels. Her dress ended at her knees and the dress showed just enough cleavage to identify herself as a beautiful woman. The look on Ed’s face when he knocked on her door assured that it was working.

As he walked up the steps, Ed’s mind went back to Sheila who was just over 18 and out of Catholic girls school. He didn’t realize that, although Sheila had been personally shielded at school, no matter who runs the schools, there are certain number of girls who manage to burst forth and experience the world. Deep down, Sheila even envied those girls and their perceived freedom. Sheila had a boyfriend. He, by all accounts, was a good boy. The influence of the priest and nuns had taken on a new position in her life. Sheila was not about to fall into Ed’s bed, but she was aware that her sexuality was important to holding his attention. Ed had always admired how beautiful she dressed and his interest was strengthened every time they went out.

The steps, the knock, the door, when once passed, led to Ed looking at Janice. Neither Ed nor Sheila had had romantic experience before they were joined in marriage. Since Sheila’s death, Ed had not had any romance. He didn’t try to kid himself, Janice was an experienced woman and she had agreed to trust herself in his care for this one night. Guys like Ed didn’t get dates with women as beautiful as Janice. When Ed walked into Señor Chow’s with Janice on his arm, all heads turned. Ed didn’t realize that the feminist, independent Janice, wasn’t used to that attention either.

Janice was telling Ed about her self as she said, “I was born during a singing of my mother’s. My grandmother was a true hippy of her day. Mom never had much restriction as she grew up. Mom said that at one time, my grandmother was pretty wild. My mother fairly early settled on the alien hybrid as the man for her life. My father never had anybody to tell him anything. Going to mom was just instinctive for him. Now, I think it is strange that they never married. They both let me learn about life on my own. They always were there when I screwed up and fell on my face. They were never judgmental, just supportive.”

Ed began, “I don’t know what mom was like before she married my father. Stories I have heard were that they both had an active social life. I guess she and my father got along most of the time. The only things I ever heard of dissension were that dad had secrets. When arguing about some other domestic problem, I would hear mom’s final argument, that dad had these damned secrets, along with his friends. When I decided these secrets were about suspected aliens, I pushed myself to deny aliens even existed. I know this was hard on my father. Also, I am learning that it is hard on Jimmy.”

They never made the movie that night. They talked until almost closing time. Now, it was for Janice to worry. She had had many first dates. Some of the men she was with, expected her to spread her legs because of all they thought they had done for her. There had been many, fortunately, who wanted an extended relationship with her and they carefully, didn’t push her on the first date. They expected the sex would be so much better when they allowed it to ripen. Then, there were a few who, Janice was never able to identify each time, who sealed the first date with a kiss and then, never appeared again.

When Ed arrived back at Janice’s door, he gazed down at her red lips. She had inherited these lips from her mother. It had been a long time, five years, since Ed had held any woman in his arms. In his mind, he wanted everything. In his mind, Ed had found that Janice was a wonderful woman and she deserved all of his respect. The mental war was settled as he bent to kiss those coveted lips and heard Janice say, “I had a very good time talking to you tonight.”

Ed broke the kiss and with a peck on her cheek, he promised to call again. Brushing against his groin, Janice hoped that the interest that he was showing would make sure that he did call sometime.
-------------------------
Did you ever have a friend or buddy of the opposite sex with whom you worked very closely? How did you handle the subject of sex? Did this buddy or friend ever get in the way of your personal relationships outside of work? Join everybody in The Elevator and see how they solve these problems along what the The Elevator has to offer
Good teachers are born that way, not made. No! Good human beings, are born that way. Some of them become teachers.

Of course, life is not fair. You shouldn't expect it to be fair, but you should expect it to be ironic.
JKR 1981-2001
History is made of wars, recovering from wars and preparing for the next war.
JJR 1975-
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: I Heard You Calling teen CC pg 10 ch 23 Mar 21, 2011

Post by ken_r »

keepsmiling7
mary mary
begonia9508

Chapter 24

For some reason, Liz couldn’t sleep. She had given Max a massage before he turned over and fell asleep. She knew that her women friends were dying to know about their intimate affairs. Right now, in respect to herself and to Max, she saw no reason to enlighten their curiosity. While they were back in Texas, Liz had consulted with Capt’n Alex, as Maria called him. Alex was interested in both her psychological healing as well as what he saw as her physical ability. His mother had told him that he might have healing ability if he ever discovered it. At the moment, he didn’t have the slightest idea of what alien healing was all about. Liz told Capt’n Alex that she and Max were sleeping in the same bed, but she went no further. If Max and Liz had been much younger, Alex would have had no doubt what they would be doing. As it was, Alex knew that many times, love was demonstrated between older people in different ways. If they decided they were having a physical problem, Alex hoped that they would seek help.

Now as Max slept and Liz lay there contemplating, she remembered how many nights she had gone to bed with no one to hold on to. Liz didn’t expect to have love like they did in as teenagers, she just hoped it would become more fulfilling. Liz’s mind drifted to her scouts. Mandy had smiled at her one day as she whispered that Jimmy had noticed her. Then, Mandy sadly looked at Liz as she said, “Now, if we could only get my father to approve of him.”

Maria had exclaimed, “The saints be praised,” when she heard Janice had gone on a date. Now, Liz could almost say the same thing thinking that Ed Valenti was trying to over come his prejudice. Maria would have reserved the wedding chapel at the first word that Janice was dating, but Liz was thinking that she was sure of the loneliness that Ed had suffered. For 40 years, Liz had know what it was to be alone. Maybe Ed and Janice could find something with each other.

In his sleep, Max rolled over and his arms reached for Liz. Liz allowed him to pull her close in his sleep. When she had been trying to loosen his muscles, her hands had been glowing. Every time she did that, Max’s scars soften a little more.

It is not easy to get a driver’s license when you are a senior citizen. After a certain age, you always are suspect when you are even getting a renewal. There is always question as to how you got around for so many years if you can’t drive when your hair is mostly gray. Jimmy had been a good teacher. And finally, Max was the proud owner of a New Mexico Driver’s License. The driver’s license is more than just permission to drive a car. It is your principle identity card. Because, in New Mexico, you did not have to be a legal citizen to get a driver’s license, it didn’t have as much clout, but in many states the license was as good as a passport. In the southwest, it was the difference between depending on other people and being able to go where you pleased. There is little public transportation in this part of the country.

Max was finding some downsides to working for a vet. This morning, Max knew that there was a group of puppies who were scheduled to have their ears trimmed and their tails docked. Traditionally, this would be done by a man, with scissors. At least with the vet, they would use anesthetic for the pain and antiseptic to prevent infection. After the procedure, Max would gather the whimpering puppies in his arms and the vet never saw the slight glow in his hands. Max would think happy thoughts and soon the puppies would be safely asleep when he placed them back in their cages. There were the sad times when the vet just shook his head. There was no hope. The animal was old, it was way too sick to recover or it was just unwanted. There was no choice, but to put it down. That was hard for Max. He had just come from a place where he was responsible for putting down thousands of young men. Well, he didn’t do all of that himself, but he was responsible for their deaths, at least, in his mind.

The veterinarian did notice that Max seemed to have a natural talent for calming animals which came into his office with extreme trauma. Even if Max was an old man, he was by far the best person the vet had ever hired for an assistant. No more college kids, from now on the animal hospital would rely on retirees, especially if they were all as good as Max.

Isabel had her family together. Well, they were all back on Earth. She wanted to have a reunion of all of the aliens and their children. It is important that children know their relatives. She wanted it before the grand kids returned to school and college. Isabel started the long process of contacting everyone and planning the affair. There were the hybrids and their significant others, there were the children and their families; then, there were those who were very close to the aliens, that included the scouts.

Mr. Garcia was not happy when he heard that Mandy was going, along with Jimmy Valenti. “I told you, Emanuella, I didn’t want you messing around that Valenti boy,” he stated.

“But, papa, you also always told me how much you admired Jesse Ramirez. Look at the return address. It is from Mrs. Jesse Ramirez,” Mandy stated.

Louise called her new friend, David. “You said that you wanted to meet my aliens. Well, here is the perfect time to meet all of them and their families.”

“Do you think that they will mind you bringing a stranger to this party? The way you describe it is that it is a reunion for the aliens and their relatives. You are suggesting that I, a stranger, would be welcomed,” David replied.

“Look, David, you said you wanted to know more about me. This is a chance for you not only to meet my scout friends, but to, also, meet the older people who have come to mean so much to me,” Louise stated.

When Sammy called Alison, the response was immediate. “Sammy, I would be delighted to meet your friends. Ms. Parker has always sounded delightful, ever since you told me all about her. Imagine waiting forty years for your lover to return. Then imagine that he actually does comeback. That is just so romantic and improbable,” Alison stated excitedly. “He must have so many exciting stories to tell,” she continued.

The only people from out of town besides David, Louise’s friend, were the Ramirez children and their families. Both Philip and Alejandro were very anxious that their children know more about their heritage. They planned to be in town for the week. Jesse thought this was good timing, because they could also attend the Hispanic dinner given for outstanding Hispanic youth, where incidentally, Jesse was the key speaker. It is good, when you do something that you are proud of, and you have your sons in the audience to celebrate with you.

Alejandro and his family arrived first. Texas was closest and Capt’n Alex had a pair of patients to check on. Sometimes, Anna was not that comfortable around those who knew her husband. Here, there was one person she could see as an anchor; that was her mother-in-law.

Isabel and Jesse had taken a small apartment when they moved back. Compared to San Antonio, Roswell didn’t have all that much to do. Isabel took her grandchildren and Anna to visit the UFO museum.
Then yheytraveled about town as Isabel retold stories about herself, Max and the others, all the while showing her guests what it had been like to live in Roswell.

“Max and the alien, Tess were trapped in an old bunker built onto the museum. Poor Brody had been abducted so many times that his mind was beginning to rebel. At this time, we all thought that Tess was genuinely making a play for Max. True, Max still had feelings for Liz . Tess was just seen as a crazy girl who had a crush on him. Maria and her mother and cousin were in the museum when Brody closed it down. The sheriff managed to get a camera into the UFO center. He also managed to get Liz captured, also. This was one of the lowest points in Max and Liz’s relationship. It also showed a flaw in Tess’s mind control. Later when they all were rescued, Tess mind warped most of the humans. That created an identifiable tic in all of their personalities. That is how Liz and Maria discovered that she killed Alex and uncovered that she was going to have the rest of us killed as soon as she could get us to Antar,” Isabel concluded her story.

Anna and the grandchildren were quiet for several minutes as they digested the story Isabel related. These were stories about teenagers, just like Pedro and Angie who had to do great things. Isabel wanted to wait until Philip and his family arrived. Then, she intended to take all of the grandchildren to see what was left of the pod chamber.

Alejandro was now at the residence of Max and Liz. He saw that it was a small residence with an almost meticulously cared for yard. Inside, he found Max looking a lot better than he was when Alejandro was tending him in Texas. Max was wearing a patch and still claimed his vision hadn’t returned. Capt’n Alex thought that Liz seemed more alive also, since she had been back with Max. Isabel’s family was anxious for as much of their history as possible.

Carlos Garcia was having a beer with his life long friend, Floyd Gutierrez. They had gone to school together and had always been close. Carlos had always liked to hear Floyd’s opinion on things, but this time, the conversation was close to home. “Of course, that Valenti kid is a good kid. He has formed this scout troop with the help of his father. It is just that I wanted Emanuella to marry a Hispanic. I do not want to loose my heritage. Maybe, I can get her back to Harvard and she will meet a nice Hispanic boy back there,” he concluded.

“Carlos I don’t know what you consider Hispanic. None of us are pure Spanish and I thank God for that. You once told me that some of your ancestors were French. I know that you have Native American blood. Look at our holidays, some of us still celebrate ‘Cinco de Mayo.’ That is a Mexican holiday and for many of my relatives in Mexico, if you call them Spanish, they will react like Americanos do, when being called English. Remember that many of my ancestors were also Jews. They came with the original Spanish conquistadores. Some of them were called ‘Crypto Jews.” Your heritage is not one nationality, not one culture. Your heritage is what you make it. You send Mandy back east and she marries an Hispanic, he will be Puerto Rican or Cuban. Then, he will bring his culture to your heritage. There is nothing wrong with that, but he would bring strange ideas that you might not approve of. This Jimmy boy is from our own southwest. He comes from a good family. You might even say he is one of our own. You do not know if he will be Mandy’s choice four years from now or not. But, if he is her choice, make it clear that you trust her,” Floyd stated.

Carlos always liked Floyd, but Floyd could be very aggravating in being correct many times. Carlos was sure that Sadie had asked Floyd to talk to him. Well, maybe Floyd was right.

The scouts had prepared the DeLuca house and yard for the party. Ed had volunteered to help Janice set things up. His son was working so hard helping the aliens, the least he could do was help Janice at her home.
Ed did have one request. If he could approach Michael with out angering him, would Michael please change the color of that damned couch?

They had borrowed several barbeque grills. Chairs and tables were rented. The mechanics of the party were coming together. Anyone who had tried to organize a family reunion, a high school reunion or any other get together that involves people, or aliens who have a past in common knows that the real success will be in all persons wanting to learn about each other. Many family get-togethers are based on funerals. It is sad, but many times the only way a family comes together is for the mourning of a missing member. This party was a rarity, where there should be no sadness connected with the memory.

The day of the party was a typical New Mexico day. The sky was crystal blue, the breeze was mild and under the trees that the scouts had been so carefully tending was as pleasant as could be asked for. Alejandro and his family had been in Roswell for several days. They had visited as many places, including the genuine Chinesse-Mexican-American food of Señor Chow’s restaurant.

Philip had flown the night before. He would have to leave the next day, but his wife and children intended to stay several days. His children had already gotten together with their cousins from Texas. They had excitedly told them about all the places that they had visited from their grandmother’s stories. They also had met the scouts. Promises had been made for all the young people to carry the party past the single day by visiting the many exotic places around Roswell together. David Markley had driven in early that morning. He promised Louise that he would stay a couple days after so he could meet more of the young people even she did not really know. Maria had arranged a speaker system with the help of the scouts so music from the turn of the century could be played. “Michael, it sounds so ancient to talk about turn of the century and even the turn of the millennium. Are we really getting that old? The music we enjoyed in high school seems like something out of the history books,” she whispered. It sounded worse saying it than it was. The turn of this century was only a few years ago.

“I know, Babe, face it we are all getting older. Just celebrate the fact that we have had for all this tiime, reasonably good years.” Michael was looking at all the young people, “We also, celebrate that our youth promises more good years to come.”

It was noticed that Ed was standing beside Janice most of the time. He was making a strong effort to acknowledge Ava, his father’s obvious close friend.

David was standing beside Louise when Jimmy came up to him. “Mr. Markley, I hope you realize how dear we all hold Louise?”

David hugged Louise tighter and smiled. “Yes, I do and she is becoming very special to me, also.” Then he looked around, “You are telling me that most of this crowd is alien or alien related?”

“Yes, David, from the original four who found themselves growing up in Roswell, we now are a formable group,” Jimmy replied.

“You say, we, do you consider yourself an alien also?” David asked Jimmy.

“David, one of the powers of the aliens is to heal. We are not sure why or how, but when a person is healed, their genetics are not changed, but they do acquire some alien traits. My grandfather was brought back to life after being shot accidentally. My great grandfather was shot trying to rescue Max from a person who was trying to kill several people demanding that he receive alien power. I broke my ankle and Janice Guerin, a second generation alien healed it. I constantly look for changes; I do not know yet, what those changes might be. My grandfather can spark pretty well, when he gets excited,” Jimmy explained.

David asked another question, “What about Miss Parker I understand she was the first to be healed.”

“Miss Parker is quite skilled in healing. When Max returned from the galactic war, he was quite crippled. Liz is still healing him. She says that since the wounds were caused by aliens and were so severe, it might take many years to complete. She is afraid that there may be many things that can’t be healed. After waiting for 40 years for Max to return she is just happy to have him stand beside her,” Jimmy stated.

Even Isabel remarked that it was strange to see her brother standing beside Liz after so many years. Isabel also remarked that at his feet a small dog was curled up. The beagle had been rescued by the beagle rescue organization. All watched to see how easy the little dog bonded with Max. Ever once in a while the little dog would lift its head and look around. Zander had been rescued by Max and now, he was watching all these strange people for danger to his new friend. In his doggie mind, he had a lot of loyalty to this man who was different from so many other people that had been in his doggie life. When Max and Liz would walk around, Zander would follow them, always peeping around their legs to assess the strangers they would meet.

Jimmy was standing beside his girl Mandy. They had known each other for many years. It seemed that he had really seen her in just the last few months. Mandy had whispered that her father was again talking to her. Carlos Garcia was asking Emmanuela about this young man who wanted to share his daughter. Much to Sadie Garcia’s relief. Carlos no longer kept preaching about Harvard. Mandy’s acceptance had arrived, but she had accepted New Mexico State. His old dream which would have probably bankrupted the Garcia family was replaced with dreams of Doctor Emmanuela Garcia- Carlos didn’t know what name would follow the hyphen, that would be Mandy’s choice. Carlos had heard many stories about how much happiness the scouts had brought to the elder people. He also knew that Mandy had learned a lot about the wisdom the older people had for her. Emmanuela was indeed a daughter to be proud of.

Floyd knew that his son, Sammy was at the party, many of his new friends were throwing. Being with these people had matured Sammy so much. Having a girl friend had made Sammy mature a lot also. Evan West was becoming a real good golf partner. They were going to knock out 18 holes this afternoon.

Alison West and Sammy were standing very close to Michael Guerin. Maria was flitting from place to place helping Janice keep the party going smoothly. She had asked Ed Valenti to help her with the beer and cokes. They had a large tub full of ice. It was surprising how much help Ed was giving to Janice. Maria had concealed it from Janice, but she had purchased two more issues of “Brides Today.”

Philip Ramirez was talking to Michael, Sammy and Alison. They were talking about zoning regulations. Michael had never cared about zoning regulations, but Sammy and Alison intended to build within the law. Philip was informing them about the necessity to have a better knowledge about the law.

David Markley found himself drawn to Max. Here was a man or alien, David wasn’t sure what he considered himself to be, who had cured so many people. Max was also a man who had suffered a lot in the 40 years he had been missing. David was playing with Zander. Zander had investigated David and decided that he was probably a friend, also. Max had mentioned that the place he had been for so many years did not have many animals. They had no wild animals or domestic pets either. David was explaining that if they didn’t take care of the wildlife, this land could find itself without wildlife as well. David could not make himself talk about Earth as a different place from where Max had been. As they were talking, David thought this must be a marvelous man, for a woman like Liz Parker to wait for so long.

Ava had advanced a lot from the years when the dups had lived in the sewer system of New York. She still clung to Kyle. When she had been watching trying to learn about humans, she had usually avoided large collections of people where she had trouble reading all their intentions. Kyle’s grandson was everything that Liz had told her about. She saw that he was very protective of his girlfriend, Mandy. Ava also saw that Mandy was every bit as capable of taking care of her self as any other young lady. Ava had to smile, Mandy so many times let Jimmy feel that he was protecting her. Mandy would go far when she finally decided to become Jimmy’s lover. Jimmy did have a lot of the morality of his father. He would finally advance to the next step in their relationship when he felt they were both ready for a lot of commitment. He was a good mixture of both his grandfather and of his father.

Ed thought of the many things that were printed in the handbook for leaders. The merit badges were designed so the scouts could mature and accept leadership. This troop, this patrol of his son’s had learned so much and they had also brought so much to the people they had served.
Good teachers are born that way, not made. No! Good human beings, are born that way. Some of them become teachers.

Of course, life is not fair. You shouldn't expect it to be fair, but you should expect it to be ironic.
JKR 1981-2001
History is made of wars, recovering from wars and preparing for the next war.
JJR 1975-