I Heard You Calling (CC,TEEN) COMPLETE - 3/27/11

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

I Heard You Calling (CC,TEEN) COMPLETE - 3/27/11

Post by ken_r »

I Heard You Calling.

Title: I Heard You Calling.
Genera: Canon
Disclaimer: I present a story, whose characters and background are owned by someone else. I only use their characters to show the story in a different manner. There will be dialog and scenes taken from both the books and from the episodes. Some of the dialog might be not be quite perfect, but the characters are now 40 years older. Their memories fade and they sometimes forget what really happened. I found it necessary to change some scenes with literary license.
Rating: Teen
Coupling: Conventional sort of
Summary and Author note: Once again, I use the story from the TV series Roswell. Everything happens as in the series, almost. Books which were written after the series especially those by Andy Mangels and Michael A. Martin ending in “Pursuit,” and “Turnabout,” are used. Anything between “Graduation” and my story of Max going back to Antar is taken from these books. Michael’s time in Hollywood is left out, due to time constraints. Alien powers are not all completely wiped out because I want to use them. These books bring the story to a better ending than the episode “Graduation.” The two books leave a rich story of the death of the duplicates, except for Ava and the destruction of the special unit for all time. If you see these books on the used bookshelf and haven’t read them grab them if the price is good. Look at Amazon and see what they are offered for on the market. Pretty ridiculous.

After all this is over, Antar comes looking for a symbol. Isabel, Michael and the one dupe, Ava, refuse to return. The other dups were killed in the book “Turnabout.” Liz and Max did not get a marriage license to go with their wedding so there are no legal papers to show this. Liz feels married and that is enough for her. Mr. Responsibility, Max, answers the call of his people. If you want my take on this action, read the last part of Tolkien’s “Return of the King.” This part was not shown in the movie. The Hobbits fought the war for everyone else, but when they returned to their own land, they were alone facing their own problems. No good deed goes unpunished.

The story opens about 40 years after graduation. There is a lot of sadness in growing old. Some would say that it is our own fault, but each of us faces our elder years the best way we can. We watch those we have known for so many years die or worse, lose the powers they always had in life. When my youngest son died there were, way over 200 people attending his funeral. He was just under 20 and most of the attendees were his friends. When my father died, most of those there, were my friends. The people he knew had already passed. When my mother died at the age of 96, most of the attendees were her distant family, what was left of it. She had outlived all ten of her brothers and sisters. I don’t know if the number of mourners is a good measure of the end of your life or not, but it does show the lonesomeness that age can bring. It is sad to outlive those around you. It can also be sad to outlive the mechanical, social, world around you. So many things no longer make sense. Sometimes youth can alleviate this loneliness and because they understand the modern world, they can assist in our coping with it. Maybe, they can teach us to live again and that is the greatness of surrounding ourselves with youth.

I am trying to tell of the good deeds and the happiness these deeds brought into aged lives, by these scouts. The scouts also receive much to enrich their lives by their friendships with these senior citizens. I want to tell several love stories viewed both at the early years of life and near the end of life. The young people will learn lessons about faith and fidelity from the elder generation. The teens will also learn about prejudice, both against the aliens and within their own families.

I Heard You Calling

Jimmy Valenti led the scouts. This was a very newly formed group. It was the first co-ed group of scouts in Roswell. The Explorers had been co-ed for years, but to many, combining the boy scouts and girl scouts was a very new idea. The scout leaders were having fits trying to figure how to manage these groups. Jimmy’s father, Edward Valenti, had agreed to be head scoutmaster for this troop, so Jimmy felt that he had an obligation to make their project work. Jimmy was named after his great grandfather. His grandfather Kyle, used to tell him tales of Jimmy’s great grandfather when he was sheriff. He told of shootings, murders and other things that had happened. Sometimes, when he was sure Jimmy’s father wasn’t around, grandpa Kyle would tell about aliens. Ed Valenti was adamant that no one ever mention aliens in his house. Two generation had been hurt because of a family obsession with them. Ed didn’t ever know his grandma on his father’s side because she left the family when Kyle was small. Why bring up something that has caused the family so much trouble? When he didn’t think Ed would hear, Kyle would wink at Jimmy and say, “There were a lot of good things about the aliens, also.” Kyle would wave his hands in the air describing the curves of one of the aliens. “That Isabel was just so perfect that even though she could be cold in person, it was worth it to see her walk down the hall.”

Jimmy only had to get his head bit off a couple of times, before he learned that he could talk about the aliens with grandpa Kyle, but his father would not tolerate any talk of them. His father was always claiming that they were not real anyhow. Jimmy thought, who cared if they were real or not? The way Kyle could describe them made them exciting and fun to think about. When Ed wasn’t around there were stories about shape shifters, beautiful murderesses and running from the Federal Bureau of Investigation that is the FBI. There were times when grandpa’s eyes would almost glaze over because of visions of something he remembered about those days. These stories all happened in grandpa’s youth. After he married grandma Pam, formerly Pam Troy, nothing much ever seemed to have happened. When asked, grandpa Kyle would say, “I grew up and when grandma Pam and I had your father, I became responsible.”

Jimmy was with three other scouts Mandy Garcia, Louise Anderson and Sammy Gutierrez were the others in the group. They were supposed to find elderly people in the town and offer to help them with chores about their houses. Last week, they had helped Old Man Hanson. That had been fun. Old Man Hanson had been a deputy when Jimmy’s great grandfather was with the police. Gosh he must be almost 90 years old. He didn’t seem to know any alien stories, but he did spin some yarns about the time the owner of the UFO museum had locked himself in the bunker with everyone who was in the museum. He had threatened to kill everyone until finally they got inside. When the police entered, they found one boy hurt from falling on a knife, but the folks in the room did not want to press charges so there was nothing he could do. That was one of the biggest things that had happened during his time as sheriff, he claimed.

The scouts had cut his lawn and cleaned up his back yard. The two girls had cleaned his house as best they could. Old man Hanson appreciated this and he told them they could come back anytime. Most of the time, this is the way they were received. Now, they were going to the old Parker house. The old lady who lived there had been a schoolteacher years ago. She had moved from the old restaurant, called the “Crashdown,” almost 40 years ago. The “Crashdown” had been a landmark in its time. It represented the mythos of Roswell; aliens and a reported crash that no one could prove. Some said she had a real sad story right out of the fairy tale books.

Jimmy had knocked on the door and an elderly lady had answered. She was a tiny woman with black hair streaked with gray. Her brown eyes were bright as she looked at the scouts. Jimmy introduced them to her. When she heard his name, she smiled. “You must be Kyle’s grandson. How is your grandfather?”

“Ma’am, he is fine. He tells me stories about long ago. We are here to offer help in cleaning up your yard and anything we can do around your house.”

Miss Parker nodded. Taking care of the yard was becoming harder and harder. The boys got right to cutting the weeds and the grass. They weeded the flowerbed and by noontime, they had made great strides in improving the yard. Inside, the girls had helped Miss Parker take down her curtains and promised to re-hang them as soon as they got them out of the washing machine. They also helped Miss Parker put several things on the top shelf that she no longer used. Miss Parker announced that it was lunchtime and she fixed sandwiches and tea for the children.

“Miss Parker, do you have any stories about aliens?” Jimmy asked.

“Oh my, do I have any stories about aliens.” Miss Parker leaned back in her rocker and thought. Do I have any stories? Can I tell them about the time I was in the arms of the king and he was going to make me his bride? No, that might be too adult for them. Can I tell them of the alien who gave up ever leaving for Antar, because he loved a blonde, singer? I wonder where Michael and Maria are nowadays. Michael made it clear that he wanted nothing further to do with alien problems. That had been the start of the four square breakup, Tess the fourth alien had already died. I wonder whatever happened to Isabel? She returned to her marriage with that lawyer, Jesse something or other.

“Oh, let’s see, “There is a story of a boy who saved a girl and they fell madly in love.”

“Oh, Miss Parker did they get married and have many children?” asked Louise.

“No, honey, they grew up and he had to go to war and she remained waiting for him,” Miss Parker sadly said.

Louise was looking at Miss Parker as she sipped her tea. “That is terrible, why didn’t he ever come back?”

“I don’t know dear, he just never was heard of again,” Miss Parker said. If the teens had looked closely, they might have seen a start of a tear.

“Aw, it was like my uncle Milton; he was missing in action,” Jimmy said.

Miss Parker said, “Maybe, but I like to think he might come back again some day in the future.”

“Tell us about him, Miss Parker,” Mandy Garcia asked.

“Oh, he was a beautiful man,” Miss Parker started.

“Men aren’t beautiful,” Sammy Gutierrez interrupted.

Miss Parker just laughed, “Maybe to other men, Sammy, but the girls would agree that his amber eyes were pools to dive into.”

Mandy and Louise sighed.

“He was well built and he usually was very serious. He loved the girl so much. He was willing to risk his life to save her,” Miss Parker continued. “He told her the truth. He wasn’t from around here. That is what he told her.”

“Did he go to school here?” Jimmy asked.

“Yes he, his sister and his best friend all went to school at Roswell high,” Miss parker explained. “That is, they went to school, when they weren’t being chased by bad people and bad aliens.”

“Could the aliens wiggle their noses and make people disappear,” Mandy asked.

Jimmy laughed, “Naw, that was the witch, Samantha, on that late late show.”

“Well, what could they do that made them different from ordinary humans? Were they three feet tall and green and slimy?” Mandy again asked.

Liz laughed, she remembered that was the same question Maria had asked so very many years ago. “No, dear, they could look like many different things. The one in my story looked and acted like an ordinary teenage boy,” Liz explained.

“If an alien could look like anything it wanted, it could do a lot better than a teenage boy,” exclaimed Louise.

“Hon, don’t you know any nice teenage boys?” Liz asked.

“Well, Jimmy and Sammy are pretty nice unless they are around some of those football boys. Then, they can be real A-...holes,” Louise stated.

“Hey, that is not fair. Just because I like to hang out with some of those guys, don’t transfer all their faults to me,” Jimmy said.

“Jimmy, when you and Sammy hang out with us, you are pretty nice guys, but you have to admit that your language and jokes with those jocks are plain sexist and crude,” Mandy retorted.

“Well, this boy was shy and almost always kind. Kindness might have been what made him leave, that and a case of responsibility. There was the time when he left his girl friend for a new girl who promised him many things,” Liz started.

“Oh, I hate that in guys. They are always looking for some new bird to chase,” Mandy stated.

“What about girls who dump their guy to follow some rich guy?” Jimmy asked.

“Jimmy, I am sorry about Caroline, but she dumped the rich guy later. That girl just never knew what she wanted. You are better off without her,” Mandy stated as she kindly looked at Jimmy.

“Yeah, that is what Grandpa Kyle said. My father never said much of anything. He is a lot like I understand Grandma Pam was. He never connected with the problems of others. Grandpa Kyle always said, ‘When a fish gets away, count that as a blessing. It meant, that wasn’t supposed to happen. If she had stayed, she would have made your life miserable,’” Jimmy retold.

Sammy Gutierrez spoke up, “Tell us more about the alien. What happened when he left his girlfriend for the new girl?”

“Well, it was serious. The new girl was also alien,” Liz started again.

“That is serious. My mother says I have to marry a Catholic and a Latino, just like me,” Mandy sadly stated.

“Hon, just remember, it isn’t your mother who is living your life. You should always listen to your parents, but sometimes, you have to follow your dreams. The Earth girl who loved the alien, wasn’t completely pleasing her parents either. They didn’t know he was alien, but they didn’t really like him. Maybe, that is unfair. They were worried that their daughter would get in trouble and have to get married. They wanted her to go to school and they thought she would have to drop out of school if she wasn’t careful. Well, their hopes almost were coming true. She broke up with the alien and he went off, convinced that he should marry someone of his own kind. The alien girl was clingy and constantly telling him that he was a king,” Liz narrated.

“They all had to still stick together. Because the Earth girl had been with him so long, that his enemies became her enemies. Other aliens, of completely different species, came and they attacked all of those near our aliens. They were called skins, because their bodies had no shape. They had to live in husks. They resembled humans, but the husks only lasted for fifty years, then they had to be changed out,” Liz continued.

“What about all the promises of the new girl?” Sammy asked.

“Well,” Liz continued. “She was going to take the king back to Antar. That is the place where he came from. She had a book and she killed one of their friends, pushing him too hard to translate it. The king, his sister and their friend were all getting ready to leave Earth. The king was torn because he stilled cared for the Earth girl. That was when the Earth girl and her friends learned that the king’s new queen had killed their friend. That was also when the king learned that the new girl was taking him and the other two aliens back to Antar to be executed. She had been playing him all along,” Liz still remembered that terrible night and the time following. She wondered if she should mention that the king had gotten the new girl pregnant.

Suddenly, Jimmy jumped up. “Guys, we promised Miss Parker that we would clean her yard and house. We are going to have to hurry if we are to finish by night fall,” He stated.

Sammy looked at Liz. “If we come back again, will you tell us more about the king and his Earth girl?” he asked.

“Of course, I will. The yard does need cleaning. I would offer to pay you, but Ed Valenti, Jimmy’s father, said that would take away your credit for the merit badge. Maybe, the stories will make up a little for the hard work you put in,” Liz told them.

Jimmy laughed, “Just don’t tell pop that you are telling me stories. He won’t allow us to talk about aliens in the house.”
Last edited by ken_r on Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 27 times in total.
Good teachers are born that way, not made. No! Good human beings, are born that way. Some of them become teachers.

Of course, life is not fair. You shouldn't expect it to be fair, but you should expect it to be ironic.
JKR 1981-2001
History is made of wars, recovering from wars and preparing for the next war.
JJR 1975-
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: I Heard You Calling teen CC October 31 2010

Post by ken_r »

begonia9508
XAF 208
mary mary
keepsmiling7
L-J-L 76

Chapter 2

War is hell. Just ask those who suffer through it. He was king, but king of what? In the last planetary cycle about the red sun, there had been only two nights when stars showed through the dust. The red sun, made even redder from the dust, crossed the skies to be replaced by a night of gray. Traditions had told of two moons circling the planet. One of them had been blown up raining death down in half the planet. The other was just a light spot in the otherwise gray sky. Max or Zan, what ever you wanted to call him, there was a political movement which used names of a much more derogatory meaning, had quit the throne. There were those who were disappointed, because they wanted to execute him for war crimes, while he was king. They thought executing a king would silence the royals forever. Life under Kivar had been cruel, but they at least had a planet. This king had been brought back and he had led them as a symbol of freedom. Freedom for what? There was barely enough land, undamaged, to plant crops. They faced a probable famine in the near future.

Max had given up his life on Earth, at the request of some of his people. Michael always said that Max took on more responsibility than he needed to. Where was Michael? Probably, off somewhere with Maria, unless one of them, had killed the other.

What about Isabel? When he had told her he was leaving, Isabel wrote back that she was pregnant. Jesse wasn’t perfect but he loved her in his way and he was becoming more comfortable being married to an alien, as long as she didn’t do any of that alien stuff in the house. Isabel said, “Max my life has always been in you. We faced the world out of the pods together. That is not enough, now. I want family, stability and I am not feeling like those people on Antar are my people or my concern. Why don’t you settle down with Liz somewhere? She will eventually forgive you for all your faults.”

Max hadn’t listened to Isabel. He was the king and kings do not desert their people. That was a lot more than the people did for the king.

Max was a healer. That was a laugh. He had used his powers until he collapsed. Max had healed men in war. Max had fixed machines of war. Whatever alien thing that allowed him to heal as well as do the other stuff, that royalty of Antar were supposed to do, was becoming worn out. Part of his problem was that he was seriously damaged himself. Max should have been able to repair his left eye. He tried, but ultimately he could not make his sight come back. Maybe, he didn’t have enough knowledge of the physiology to understand how the eyes worked. Maybe, he didn’t know what to repair. Maybe, he didn’t know how to tell what was damaged. Maybe, Max had been so concerned with soldiers who were badly hurt that he didn’t pay any attention to slight wounds on his own body, until they overcame him.

Being king takes a lifetime of preparation. They expected Zan to return. Max might look like Zan, but Zan had been raised in the royal court. From birth, he had been expected to lead his people. Zan had studied lessons in warfare along with diplomacy that would have made Machiavelli proud if Zan had done so on earth. Zan would have known how to motivate troops without being in the front of battle. The best Max could rule with were lessons from an eighth grade civics class. He tried to institute a democracy. Democracies take a lot of training. Citizens must be trained on what to expect from a democracy. They must not see democracy as a big brother to care for their every need. They must realize that democracy, like a vineyard, must be pruned regularly. Leaders must be removed constantly. Those who take advantage of democracy for their own desires, must be voted out. It is a lot easier for a despot to just say, “off with his head,” than a public to vote these rascals out. You cannot just allow, a democracy alone to find its own way. Like raising a stray puppy, it takes a lot of work. If left alone, it might just return to a dictatorship as the easiest route.

Max did not know how to tell the people what to do. He only tried to tell them, that they should decide for the good of the whole, without selfish motives. What would be best for Antar in general, should always be their first thought. Max tried to show citizenship by example and only showed his own weakness to those in power. Max could neither be a power nor a puppet. To many, Max was useless. Maybe with several degrees in political history, Max would have known the small probability a democracy has of surviving. Maybe with a degree in politics, Max would have known how to form a government, but even from what he saw on earth, smart men were not able to do this consistently. Maybe, he could have known alternative benign forms of government that could have led up to democracy.

Now, Max sat on the sideline as elections took on the character of the previous war. Max had given up all he knew and loved to come to Antar and to attempt to help his people. What was his reward? One old warrior had growled, “King! Your reward is to not be executed. You bungled the job of leading.”

Max’s only friends were wounded veterans who wandered the streets and paths of the ruined land, men who no longer cared about governments, but rather cared only about surviving. They understood living with failure. To them, fortunes of war were just issues of chance, totally separate from anything personal. Many nights Max would wonder, what had happened to the maiden he loved so much? Had she moved on, married and raised a houseful of children? Max remembered how much Liz loved children.

When Max had arrived, he was proclaimed “Generalissimo,” or the Antarian equivalent. His army formed up and he was expected to lead them in battle. Max played a mediocre game of chess and he had no idea of how to convert what little he knew of the game into military moves. The troops cheered as he stood before them and cheered even more when it was Max in the forefront of the charge. They fought like devils along side of their king.

Generals direct battles and don’t fight. If they have enough troops to consume, some of them even learn to win battles. Kings are symbols and they are supposed to place and remove the generals according to what happens in battle. The king in battle stands a good chance of getting wounded or killed. He doesn’t get enough on the job training to become great. Max lost his left eye, for all his efforts.

The generals had always intended to use Max as a symbol. True, the hands of the king are healing. The hands of most of the royalty were healers. Kivar in his revolution had executed most of the royalty and those he hadn’t killed were in hiding. Max drove himself doing the one thing he was good at. Max was one of the few healers who tended the fallen. Max also insisted on tending the enemy. Any soldier who found himself in Max’s presence, received his attention. Where there should have been thousands of healers, there were only a few. Max drove himself harder because of the guilt he felt that he could not lead. Before the army broke the back of Kivar’s rebellion, Max broke himself. Max collapsed.

The king is to condemn. Kivar was brought before Max. It was Max’s intention to show mercy. The generals saw this in Max, so before Max could say anything, one soldier stood forth and with a mighty swing of a sword, he cut Kivar’s body into two pieces, blood spurting everywhere. That finished breaking Max. The action of Kivar’s execution was loudly proclaimed to have been given at the king’s command. Max had never killed anyone in cold blood. He might kill in battle or self-defense, but to look into the eyes of a man and to see those eyes blur as life left the body and feel his blood running down your own face, was an experience Max could never banish from his memory.

Max’s attempts at instituting democracy were seen as fumbles. Max had left no legacy of a powerful leadership in battle. Max had been drained as a healer. He couldn’t even heal himself. There was nothing left for him. Max was beginning to believe that he had failed himself as well as his people. All Max wanted was to return to earth. He wanted to die in the land of his youth. The barren, war torn land of Antar was not where he wanted his spirit to rest.

It is not to be said that all of Antar hated the king. There were some who remembered that they had ripped him from his home and taken every friend and associate away from him. There were those like Larek, who had fond memories of Max’s gene donor, Zan. They were the ones who arranged for him, a trip home. Max could only assume that he would also receive a cold welcome from those he had left at home. His sister had left the alien abyss for a stable family. Where was she now? Would Isabel and Jesse welcome a broken relative back? Max wondered about Michael. Michael’s departure from the alien problems had not been amiable. He had ranted, probably for his own peace of mind, that the problems of a warring world were not his concern anymore than the four children maturing without any aid or guidance, had been a concern of the people of Antar who sent them to Earth. Then, Max’s greatest fear, what could he bring back to Liz Parker? Hadn’t she found someone else, someone who wouldn’t run across the universe to fight a war that she would never understand? Could Liz ever understand his concern for his people when Max himself was having trouble understanding the sacrifices he had made, himself? Max was sure that his mother and father, the Evanses had died long ago. Had they died bitter that their son had left and wasn’t even there to comfort them as they passed?

The trip back home, if it could still be called his home had little for Max. Living on a world, which had taken so much from him and then cast him out had even less. Max would announce to Isabel that he had returned and maybe, to Michael. It would be up to them to make any overtures of reunion. That is, Max would announce his return if he could remember how. It had been 40 years since he had spoken an Earth language. It had been 40 years since he had been around a people who were clearly backward when it came to mental abilities. Max only knew that he had no intention of interfering, again, in the life of Liz Parker. He only would hope that someway she had found happiness and, maybe, sometime she entertained thoughts, of a boy who loved a girl, who loved a boy, not of this Earth.
Good teachers are born that way, not made. No! Good human beings, are born that way. Some of them become teachers.

Of course, life is not fair. You shouldn't expect it to be fair, but you should expect it to be ironic.
JKR 1981-2001
JJR 1975-
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: I Heard You Calling teen CC ch 2 Nov 8, 2010

Post by ken_r »

Begonia9508
keepsmiling7
mary mary

Author's note: Kyle, Maria and Liz are in their early 60s. So many times stories are only written about love for the young. This story is about the love of youth with its hope of family, children and hot sex. It is also about love for the middle aged, sometimes for a second chance at family, but at least to fill a emptiness that being alone brings. Last it is about love for the seniors, maybe too old to start a new family, but not too old to want companion ship and the warm comfort of each other's bodies.

Michael was always very insecure. In the episodes, it was seen that at first he believed his insecurity was in living on the wrong planet and with the wrong people. The episodes showed that it wasn't the people who gave him blood, not those who cloned him, but the people who Michael drew close to himself who became his family.

Boy king stories cannot be about youths with some magical powers who lead people through rebellion and war these activites take life times of training. All Max could ever be would to be a symbol. In this story, Max found that these Antarians were very foreign to the way he was raised.

Chapter 3

Ed Valenti was not home. Jimmy was having a meeting with his patrol. They had arranged the care of two homes so far. Old man Hanson had been the first. They had arranged to return in two weeks to redo his lawn and he had some shrubs he wanted removed. The girls had finally gotten a handle on his house and they were arranging things where he could get to them easier. Old man Hanson had gotten in the habit of eating a can of SPAM and a can of cold beans for dinner every day. The girls had arranged his pantry into meals. They had set up menus that he could follow and arranged his vitamins in trays so he would remember to take them. Once started, Mr. Hanson did show more interest in what he ate. It is just so difficult to plan, for the elderly, that he had fallen into a trap that was easiest for him to follow. Now at least, his dinners had a little variety.

Grandpa Kyle sat down with the scouts. Young people gave him vitality. When he saw whom they were discussing he said, “Oh Hanson. He could be a real ass sometimes and other times, he was a real nice guy. We always thought he was part of the plot to get my father fired. Now, I think Hanson was just a patsy for the town counsel in their quest for power. Town counsels want law and order, but they want to control the law and order. That wouldn’t work with Pop.”

“Hanson was always sure any group of teenagers was up to something. To Hanson, that something was usually no good. Trouble was, with us, he was right. I had been accidentally shot by my father and healed by Max. I had developed a total change of outlook in my life. I even had begun to embrace Buddhism as a philosophy and a religion. Liz Parker was with Max and my pop was helping the aliens hide from the law. For a time, I even lost my interest in sports. When we took off on the road trip after graduation, I felt that I had nothing to live for. I was seeking for something in life to hold on to.” That was quite a narrative for Kyle to tell. If his son found out about it, there would be hell to pay. These were things the kids needed to know. Ed could be so narrow-minded sometimes. He was just like his mother.

Mandy looked surprised. “You mean Liz Parker is our Miss Parker; the lady we have agreed to take care of, for this year? she asked.

Kyle chuckled, “Yes, that Liz Parker. In her day, she was as cute as a bug, smart as anyone in our class also. She would have gotten first in class if she hadn’t missed so much school following the aliens.”

Now, Louise looked up. “That means that the story she was telling was true. It was she who was in love with the alien king.”

Kyle smiled. “Not only ‘in love with’ the alien, they might have been married if we had had time to get a license. They had a little ceremony in a chapel somewhere in Colorado. We all expected to get killed any day. The ceremony was just to please her folks, to convince them she was no longer living in sin, so to speak. We got word to them and they would know that she wasn’t just running around with some guy, but she considered him her husband. When Max disappeared, Liz had nothing except memories. She had no legal papers, so she went back to her maiden name,” Kyle continued.

“Mr. Valenti, how well did you know Miss Parker? She asked about you the other day when we were cleaning her yard,” Sammy asked.

Kyle again smiled. These kids were bringing back memories from so many years ago. Kyle was beginning to feel young again. “Sammy, not as well as I wanted at the time. I considered myself quite the stud. I met her one summer. We were both the same age, but I considered myself quite the experienced man. I tried as much as I could to get that girl into bed.” Kyle suddenly quit. “Maybe, this story is not quite right for the ears of young ladies,” he stated.

Louise smiled. “Don’t worry, Mr. Valenti, we all have cable TV and I even cracked my mother’s security code to the romance channel. Those movies are mostly rated ‘R.’ You won’t crush our morals with just a story,” she said.

“Well as I said, I knew that she was inexperienced and I saw her as a challenge. Maybe, she was afraid from her inexperience or maybe, she was just a cold person, but when Max Evans came around, Liz was all over him. I was jealous for a while, but I finally decided that Liz had been waiting for Max all of her life. She just didn’t know it until they got together. That was the start of me losing my way,” Kyle related.

There was the sound of a car door closing. Kyle quickly got up. “Remember, Jimmy, not a word about any of this to your father. I don’t want to piss him off again.” With that statement, Kyle left. When Ed Valenti came into the room, he found that Jimmy was with the other three members of his patrol and they were planning the schedule for caring for the places of Mr. Hanson and Miss Parker.

Ed Valenti was pleased with his son’s hard work in the scouts. He and Jimmy had come up with this project together. Ed had met a lady today. She was about his age, kind of a hippy woman of the old style, sort of like he had heard his folks talk about. She was kind of fun to talk to and in their conversation, Ed found that she had just come to town and she was trying to fix up her place. Her name was Janice Guerin. She had moved into the old DeLuca home. Except for a few renters, it had been abandoned since Amy DeLuca had died. Ed had a warm spot in his heart for that place. Amy DeLuca had been the mistress of his grandfather. He remembered that many called Amy DeLuca a hippy including his grandfather. She had made grandpa Jim’s life much better in those last years. That was one reason, Ed Valenti would not tolerate the mention of aliens in his family. Obsession with aliens had made Grandpa Jim lose his first wife. Ed had trouble ever thinking of Kyle’s wife, Pam, as someone close to him, even if she was his mother. Amy, his grandfather’s mistress, had been so much more affectionate to the child, Edward, as he was growing up. That surely did not endear her to Pam, his mother.

Well, Janice Guerin needed some help straightening up her place. The renters hadn’t ever left it in very good condition and the years of abandonment didn’t help much either. Ed told Ms. Guerin about the scout project. The people they helped didn’t have to be old. Ms. Guerin offered to pay, but Ed explained that the purpose of the project was to help with out financial rewards, she said, “Your boys do a good job and I will make a contribution to the whole troop. I would have to pay someone and I would rather the money went to a good cause, than be used by some boozer that I would hire off the streets.”

Ed thanked her and then stated, “Ms. Guerin, half of my son’s patrol are girls.”

“Oh my god,” she laughed. “My mother would have loved those kind of scouts. I am sure she would have joined your troop, if co-eds had been the norm.”

Janice had given Ed her card and still thinking about the energetic lady, he had handed it to Jimmy. The four scouts now had three clients. They presented themselves at Ms. Guerin’s door the next Saturday. “Ms. Guerin, my name is Jimmy Valenti, this is Mandy Garcia, Louise Anderson and Sammy Gutierrez,” each scout nodded as Jimmy named them. “My father said you needed help around the yard and house.”

“You can start by calling me Janice. My family was pretty free spirited and titles did not stick to them very well. I understand that you can’t accept money, but if I make a contribution to your troop that would be all right,” she stated. “You might look through some of the things I have stored. It isn’t pay. It is a favor taking things of my family that otherwise I will just throw away,” she continued.

“Is your family from Roswell?” Sammy asked.

“Yes, my mother is Maria DeLuca the singer. I think she is fairly well known. My father is less known. He is Michael Guerin, the artist. In certain circles, I understand his work is still sought after,” Janice explained.

“Oh, I know who your mother is,” Louise stated. “My mother has several CDs of hers. I knew she was from Roswell, but I never knew much about her.”

“Yes, she is from Roswell, dad also. I understand that she cut quite a path through the community when she was here. Hey, wait a minute.” She pointed to Jimmy. “You must be Kyle’s grandson. Your dad is so unlike stories mom told about Kyle, that I didn’t recognize the name for a minute. Mom used to say your grandfather was an asshole some of the time.” She saw the fall in Jimmy’s face. “Hey, kid don’t take it to heart. Mom said the same thing to dad about half the time. That didn’t stop them from being in bed together every night that I knew them. Mom is out-spoken like that sometimes. Besides, she sometimes called Kyle her almost brother.”

Jimmy laughed, “I guess that gramps deserved that sometimes. When he was young, he must have been pretty full of himself.”

“Hey, kid, you are all right. Your father seemed a bit up tight. You must take after your grandfather,” Janice said.

“If you are from here, do you know any alien stories?” Mandy asked.

“Yeah, my father won’t let us talk about aliens at home. We have a few people who tell us stories, like Miss Parker and Gramps, but all of us are interested in these stories,” Jimmy stated.

“Do I know alien stories? Hey, I can talk all day about aliens, but we won’t get anything done. What do you say that we knock off a couple hours for lunch? Pizza all around, I am buying. Then, I will spin you some alien yarns,” Ms. Guerin or rather Janice said.

The two girls followed Janice inside while Jimmy and Sammy started looking at the yard. There were several things that they couldn’t tackle. Two trees badly needed pruning. That would take a professional tree service. At first, the old shed in back looked like it was about to fall down. That was an illusion. Once inside, they found that the walls and roof were sound. They found several old lawnmowers. Their motors were completely frozen. Digging around, they found two rocks or something that looked like rocks with strange designs on them. Holding them together, they almost seemed to hum. A little deeper, they found a dirt bike. It was dirty and they did not know if it would run. The final thing they found, just before Janice called them to lunch, was an old bulletin. It was for some sort of convention of the old Army Air Force. It was labeled, “Those who served at Roswell in 1947 with the 509th Army Air Force.” There was a short statement written on the bulletin. “Michael the son I never had.” It was signed Captain Hal Carver. That was all. They brought the bulletin, along with the two stones, inside to show Janice and they listed the rest of what they had found.

The pizza was passed out. Jimmy had given his notes and the bulletin to Janice. “This bulletin I have to think about. I may know where it came from. These stones might even be alien. The old lawnmowers are just junk. If you have an idea of how to get rid of them, let me know,” Janice said.

Sammy looked up. “Old man Chavez, over on third street, takes things like those mowers and fixes them up to sell to people who do not have much money, but need yard equipment. I am sure he would take them,” he stated.

Jimmy was pulling himself another slice of pizza. “What about the motorcycle?” he asked.

“That belonged to my dad. I don’t want to just throw it away. Would either of you boys like it?” she asked. Then, she amended her sentence, “or you girls either?”

Jimmy and Sammy shook their heads. “Fraid not,” Jimmy said. “Dad isn’t that open to new things. I don’t think Sammy’s folks would be either.”

The two girls also shook their heads. “I just don’t want to throw it away. I want someone who will appreciate it,” Janice told them.

Then Jimmy said, “What if we fixed the bike up? I am sure we could get the labor and parts donated. We could then raffle it off for the scouts.”

Janice nodded, “I just want to think of dad’s bike still going. Mom would have a fit if I brought it back to him. I can hear her now, ‘You will just break your legs. Your head is too hard.’”

They all laughed. “What about alien stories?” Sammy asked.

“I promised, didn’t I? Well kids, here I am. Dad was one of the original four Roswell aliens or maybe hybrids, he liked to say,” Janice stated.

“Does that mean you are an alien?” Louise asked.

“Well part, I guess. Dad had a difficult life. Where two of the aliens were found by loving parents, my father was placed in the welfare system,” Janice started.

“You said four aliens, your father makes one and the two who were adopted makes two and three. What about the last alien?” Jimmy asked.

“She was a damned bitch!” Janice exclaimed. “She arrived later and she had been raised by aliens. Even dad had more human contact than she did. One of the other aliens, Max, had a girl friend. The final alien, named Tess, did all she could to destroy their relationship. The little bitch got Max to knock her up and she killed one of mom’s best friends. Tess almost got all of the aliens, except for dad, to leave and return to Antar. She promised everything under the mysterious red sun to all of them. Dad stepped out early. He said he wasn’t interested in alien crap anymore. He just wanted to be with mom. I guess he enjoyed fighting with her. When Max discovered Tess had killed Mom’s friend, he sent her on her way. Dad said that he should have killed her. If they had gone with her, they would have all been executed,” Janice finished.

Louise looked up and said, “She must have been the new girl.”

JKR 1981-2001
JJR 1975-
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: I Heard You Calling teen CC pg2 ch 3 Nov 14, 2010

Post by ken_r »

mary mary thanks for asking. When the weather is nice, i go out side and over do it. Thus i am popping pills to even sit up at the computer.
keepsmiling7
begonia9508 Yes, Maria is in Janice. Maria would have raised Janice the way she would have imagined that she would have liked to be raised. Michael would always have some distance from people. He might ignore behavior that he didn't understand. He would not detect any animosity in Kyle toward Maria so he would just sit back and watch. Please watch as Michael bonds with the scouts. He takes a paternal interest in them.

Chapter 4

They were all at old man Hanson’s place this Saturday. Mr. Hanson had bought some paint. It was a strange shade of blue. He said that he had bought it as one of those cans which, when mixed up, the customer can’t stand the color so the store sells it at a discount. When Jimmy saw the paint, he could understand why it was rejected. Mr. Hanson asked if the scouts could paint his fence. There were almost tears in his eyes. It was so hard to ask others to do what he had always been able to do for himself. To vicariously feel the activity, Mr. Hanson sat in a chair the scouts placed under the shade of a tree. Sammy was working on one side of the fence and Jimmy working on the other; they were making good time.

Mr. Hanson was having trouble with his own meals. So for lunch, Jimmy drove to the drive-in and bought Big Macs and fries all around. Sammy ran into the convenience store and bought a six-pack of Cokes from their cooler.

They all four were sitting around Mr. Hanson eating the hamburgers and fries. Old man Hanson hadn’t tasted burgers like these since he had retired. “Mr. Hanson, are you sure you don’t have any stories about aliens?” Jimmy asked.

“Look, Jimmy, don’t you dare tell your old man what I say about aliens! He can be a terror when that subject comes up. Kyle used to blame me for his father getting fired. Hell, it wasn’t me. I was so young that I barely knew how to run the office when they gave it to me. I would have much rather worked for his father. If you want to know, I think it was them aliens who got him fired. At one time in Roswell, there were so many aliens around that you couldn’t have a car wreck without running over one or two of them,” Mr. Hanson related.

“How come you didn’t tell us anything about aliens the last time we asked you?” Jimmy inquired.

“Well, first there is your father. That man wants to pretend that aliens never existed. Then, I didn’t want to be laughed at. You kids seem to be pretty solid and I don’t think you would make fun of me. I just got to thinking that I don’t want to carry these stories to the grave. As many years as I have lived, I don’t rightly know how much is true anymore or not. You all make your own decisions,” Mr. Hanson replied.

Mandy spoke up, “Okay, you were telling about all the aliens.”

Mr. Hanson grunted. “Yeah, there were those two Evans kids. Max and what was her name, yeah, Isabel. Their parents were both lawyers. Pick those kids up and the parents would be waiting for you at the station with papers getting their release. That Isabel, no one could ever be that perfect. She was just a baby. A sophomore in high school and she looked like a model. When I was in school, a girl like that would have dozens of stories about some boy knocking her up. Isabel? Nary a one. I don’t know if the studs were scared of her or, maybe in some way, she and her brother threatened them. No one tried to brag about sleeping with the ice queen, Isabel Evans.

Then, there was that foster kid, Michael something or other. We picked him up once. His foster father disappeared mysteriously. We never could make anything stick. Jim always said that if the kid would just confess, we could get him off. That foster father of his was a number. Killing him would be a service, not a crime.” Mr. Hanson took a drink of Coke. These kids didn’t know what a pleasure that was. Hanson hadn’t had a Coke in years. He never could think of buying Cokes when he was ordering groceries, maybe in the future. The girls were helping him make out grocery lists.

“There was that Parker girl. Half the town thought she got herself shot. The Emergency medical teams couldn’t find a scratch on her.” Hanson pointed to Jimmy. “Your great grandfather, Jim, had me steal her old uniform and they had it analyzed. The feds said that it was only ketchup. Now, Jim wouldn’t let up. He kept on until he found out that there was ketchup along with blood and a bullet hole. When the Parker girl fell, witnesses said that Max was all over her. She had been dating your grandpa Kyle, but she left him high and dry, taking up with that Max boy and never turning back. Funny thing, after a while I don’t think Kyle was even mad about losing her.”

Jimmy and Sammy finished the fence and Mandy made the grocery order for Mr. Hanson. She included several things like Cokes and potato chips that he hadn’t had in years. Years just take a terrible toll on the mind, when he tasted chips and things, he missed them so much. He had just forgotten them when he made out his orders.

Louise had called to see about “Meals on Wheels.” It was a program for the elderly that brought hot meals to their homes. If they could get that set up, Mr. Hanson would have at least one hot meal a day.

Maria still wrote some music. She and Michael had lived in an apartment in Nashville for several years. The singing tours had become too stressful for Maria anymore. She still enjoyed hearing her songs sung by the younger folks. Presently they were living in a small town in Kansas. “I had a call from Janice today. She has Kyle Valenti’s grandson and a group of scouts helping her fix up the old place. She asked again did we want to return to Roswell? What do you think?” she asked her lover of so many years. Somehow, they hadn’t ever gotten married. They had had a daughter together. Maria named her Janis for the singer Janis Joplin. Later in independence, Janice had changed her name to its present spelling. Maria always thought she did that just to show her parents, who was boss in her life.

“I didn’t leave anything in Roswell, but you might still have ties you would like to renew. Whatever you want. I have followed you for this many years. I don’t think I will change now,” Michael replied.

That Saturday Miss Parker asked Jimmy, “Do you know anything about plumbing? Several of my faucets are leaking. Last months water bill was very high. I used to not worry about that, but it seems they just keep going up all the time.”

“That is what my father says. It is as if the service companies sit around and talk about how they can get that last cent,” Mandy said.

“Yes, Miss Parker, I think I can fix a faucet. I have watched my father do it many times. I will have to go get a washer kit. Each faucet probably has different sized washers. Sammy and I will work on the shrub in the back. It needs to be cut back and dug up so the rest of the plant can grow better. It is getting root bound. Let us finish that. Then this afternoon Sammy and I will fix anything in the house you can think of,” Jimmy told her.

Jimmy quit early, leaving Sammy to finish digging out and cutting back the shrub. When he returned he found the other three just sitting down to sandwiches and lemon aid. The washer kit had cost $3.50. It had 100 different sized washers and the washers individually cost $.20 each. They had to be different sizes and that would have taken all afternoon if Jimmy had had to keep going back to the store. Jimmy would not charge Miss Paker anything. He put the washers in his kit for when he was called to do other repairs.

“Miss Parker, please tell us more about the Earth girl dying and the alien saving her,” Mandy pleaded.

“That is when everything started. You don’t feel the pain of being shot at first. The shock makes you numb. When she fell to the floor, she was wondering why she had fallen. She felt weak. At that time, she didn’t know she was dying. The brightly lit restaurant was growing dim. Maybe, someone shot out the lights. She heard screaming in the background, but she couldn’t tell what she heard or when she heard it. She was feeling cold. Then, her eyes cleared for a second. ‘Liz, look at me.’ She heard that clear as a bell. A boy she knew as Max was above her looking into her face. He had ripped open her uniform and she could see that his hand was bloody. His hand was bloody, because his hand was on her stomach and she was bleeding. She began to feel warm again. ‘Max, let’s go,’ another voice was heard. His voice rang in her ears and mind. ‘Liz, you fell. You broke this bottle of ketchup.’ He seemed so serious that when the medic pronounced her not hurt, she repeated what Max told her. There is more. When she went to her room to change clothes, she had a silver hand print on her stomach.” Liz told the story like it had happened to someone else.

Jimmy and Sammy fixed several things inside the house. The girls were busy cleaning the windows and after Mr. Hanson, they were checking on what Liz had to eat. There was a church lady who came by once a week and took Liz to the grocery store. Louise asked, “Miss Parker, aren’t there other stores you might like to visit. Mandy and I can take you either on a weekend or after school sometime.”

Janice had taken Jimmy’s list and hired a tree service to trim the large trees in the yard. Mr. Chavez had been so happy to receive the old mowers. “Adam Trujillo has been after me to find him a mower. He wants to do lawns to help out his family. I will fix these and he can pay me as he gets lawn jobs. Adam is a good kid and his parents are good people. Jobs are just tough to get right now,” Mr. Chavez stated.

Jimmy was still lining up people to work on the motorbike. Everyone was excited about that project. Jimmy and Sammy had been painting all morning. Janice had insisted that they all be careful when they were working on ladders. Jimmy was leaning to reach a spot he had missed. He just didn’t want to get down and reposition the ladder for that small spot. He slipped and down he came. There was a loud crack and Jimmy’s ankle was turned the wrong way.

Like all adults when first speaking to children, no matter what their age, when the younger person is hurt, the first thing she said was, “Damn it Jimmy, I told you to be careful.”

Jimmy expected her to call an ambulance. This would put his patrol behind schedule if he was out of commission. Instead, Janice put one hand on his ankle and the other behind his head as she ordered, “Jimmy, look at me.”

Jimmy was surprised, as she was talking, he could feel the pain of her hand on his ankle. Suddenly, their was a sharp pain and then, Jimmy was wondering why he was lying there instead of finishing his painting. His ankle was healed. “You are an alien, aren’t you?” he asked

“I told you I was, or at least part, alien. The four Roswell aliens were hybrids, that is, human mixed with alien. They never understood how much of each they were. She pointed to Jimmy. When Aliens heal someone, they cause changes. Your grandfather was saved by Max, years ago, according to my mom. The lady you always talk about, Miss Parker, was also healed by Max. Your grandfather and Liz ought to get together someday. They might find they were changed in many similar ways,” Janice stated.

All the scouts worked the rest of he day. Jimmy was careful. He kept looking for some change in himself. Maybe, it was just the power of suggestion, but Jimmy didn’t have any more accidents that afternoon.

As they were getting ready to leave, Janice called to the scouts. “I don’t want to barge in on her, but would one of you take me over to see Miss Parker some afternoon after school?” she asked.

Sunday morning, Ed Valenti was off playing golf. Since his wife had died, Ed had been very attentive to his son. This was the one morning he reserved for himself. His father had tried as much as possible to care for him. Pam, Ed’s mother, was a distantly cold person. She was a good mother, but she wasn’t one to run to with hurts and bruises, especially if the bruises were of the soul and not the body. Kyle had always listened to the little Edward as he was growing up. Grown, Kyle and Ed had only one disagreement and that was aliens. One part of Ed, the reasoning part, thought that Pam was a bit jealous that she couldn’t share the excitement Kyle had lived while he was in school. Learning about your folks is always difficult. Not everything they ever did was admirable. Ed had learned a bit about both his parents in high school. Kyle was correct. In high school, he was considered a stud. Ed’s father, Kyle, had chased a lot of tail the first two years of school. Then, for some reason, Kyle changed. Ed had a difficult time finding out what had changed Kyle. The religion, the absence of girls, lost friends and the almost dropping out of school, were all a part of the Kyle that Ed couldn’t understand.

What Ed learned about his mother, Ed marked up to her insecurities. She had been known for a lot of passionate affairs. Knowing this about his parents, Ed had become a bit prudish. When he married Sheila, Jimmy’s mother, she had just graduated out of a Catholic girls school. They were married for 12 years before she died. Ed was just determined that he would raise Jimmy differently from the way he grew up. When Jimmy learned all about his parents, there would be nothing of scandal to be embarrassed about.

Ed playing golf, gave the scouts a good chance to talk to Kyle. “Mr. Valenti, do you ever feel different?” Sammy asked.

“What do you mean, Sammy?” Kyle asked.

“Well, Janice said that when you are healed by an alien, you change. I just wanted to know if when Max healed you, did he change you in anyway? Sammy explained.

“Just who is this Janice woman?” Kyle asked with a frown.

“Janice Guerin, she moved into the old DeLuca place. We are helping her clean and fix it up,” Sammy stated.

“Janice Guerin, oh my, that means that Maria and Michael quit arguing long enough to get some serious loving in and have a kid,” Kyle moaned.

“Did you know Maria DeLuca and Michael Guerin?” Louise asked.

“Oh yes, I knew both of them very well,” Kyle said. He turned to Jimmy again. “Amy DeLuca was my father’s girlfriend. They never married, but she lived with him after I left home. She was like a grandmother to your father. I think, sometimes, he loved her more than he did Pam, his mother. Where Pam might be cold and distant, Amy was warm and friendly. Pam didn’t approve of her because she and pop never got married. Maria and I used to call each other, ‘almost brother and sister.’” Kyle thought about the times arguing with Maria. Then, he remembered Michael. Mike had been okay, because he understood that Maria liked to argue. Maybe he thought, let her argue with Kyle and then, he could get a few minutes of peace.

Kyle began his story again, “Getting hurt was my own fault. I was young and I thought law enforcement officers were all good. Max had secured this man who claimed to be FBI in a closet. Max half way threatened me to leave him alone. I was still mad at Max for taking Liz. Now, I was mad at him for giving me orders. I released the man. Taking my dad’s spare 357 and went looking for my him. I found one of his deputies tied up and I released him. He asked me for the gun he saw in my belt. I gave it to him. After all, he was a deputy. You can imagine my confusion when he started a gunfight with my father. I hid, but there were a lot of bullets flying around. Janice’s father, Michael, destroyed the deputy who also happened to be FBI. My dad found that he had shot me in the heat of battle. He called Max. By this time, he knew that Max had some awesome powers. Max healed me the same as he did for Liz,” Kyle explained. “Why the interest?” he asked.

Jimmy spoke up. “I fell the other day at the DeLuca place and broke my ankle. It was bent all different. Janice healed me, so, I want to know what to expect. I don’t want to go sparking in front of dad. You know how he feels about that,” Jimmy said.

JKR 1981-2001
JJR 1975-
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: I Heard You Calling teen CC pg2 ch 4 Nov 22, 2010

Post by ken_r »

mary mary: It was only Tess who believed in the four square. Isabel had an attachment that she felt was brotherly for both Max and lessor for Michael. As an adult she was more concerned with a family and her husband. The magic was the change in Michael. All he knew about Antar was fable. What he knew about Maria was real. It turned out that Antar only wanted the clone of the king.

keepsmiling7: http://www.roswellfanatics.net/viewtopi ... 37&t=16076 is a story by SER. Personally I think that this is her greatest story. it is at the end of life.

begonia9508: I always thought that the paranoia the kids showed in the episodes was mostly immaturity. I always thought that mature adults would use the law and their position in society to be more open, at least among those they considered friends. Janice came from strong parents. She would show power to those who had professed to be alien friends, like the scouts.

Liz is another thing. She avoided Isabel because Izzy reminded her of Max. Somewhere in the story she says, why did Max go and Isabel and Michael stay. "Wasn't her love for Max as strong as the love Michael and Isabel found." Liz tried to be understanding, but it was hard to think she couldn't hold max while the others could.

Chapter 5

Kyle laughed, “Everyone healed seems to be affected differently. I spent several years looking for what would be my talent. We didn’t yet look at these things as something bad, but we always hoped that, like Superman, we would get something that would make us better, smarter or more `powerful.”

“It was said that Liz Parker had visions. It was Liz Parker who later fore told the story that they would all be killed at graduation. There had been whispers among the aliens that she was sparking everywhere. Max tried to heal her again, but she screamed how he was hurting her. This was something that he could do nothing about. Liz left Roswell and went back east. From there on, things got real hinky. Somehow, my father got shot and Max was burned to death after he healed my dad. At the same time, Max’s sister got shot. This all is confusing even to me now. My dad was brought back to life just like Max did for me. Isabel fought her way back to life, scaring the drug dealing med tech who Jesse, her husband, knew and hired. She did this by having temperatures up to 110 or so. Poor guy had been kicked out of med school for selling prescriptions to his friends. He had been in med school long enough to know that people just can’t live that hot. Jesse had paid him well for his help and silence. Then suddenly, Michael seems to receive the powers of the king and Isabel gets well. The failed drug dealing med-student always liked Jesse and as he was leaving he cautioned, Jesse these people have secrets. They will get you into trouble. Shortly after this Liz returned with Maria and Max. Max’s soul was reinstated in a body. Lord knows how they did this. Maria had been visiting Liz. Suddenly they all returned and things became just as confusing as before. Yes, Jimmy, if you feel strange, get the heck out of the house. Better to have your father mad because he thought you ran away than for him to notice you might be a bit alien.” Who could have fore told this? Jimmy, his grandson, was now part of the alien abyss.

“But, Mr. Valenti, what was your talent?” Sammy asked.

Kyle was quiet for a while. “Sammy, I could amplify things in others. We all left on the road trip where Liz and Max got married in fact, if not completely legally. Things escalated. We had more trouble with bad aliens and more trouble with the special unit, which shouldn’t even have still existed. We learned that it wasn’t what they called themselves, but it was what they did that identified these men. They captured some aliens which were related to the Roswell ones. For awhile, we were worried because Liz foretold that she saw Isabel being killed. Thankfully for us, but not for the girl who died it was a look-alike, one of the duplicates and not our Isabel. Sammy, we used some awesome powers to put that group down. The powers were amplified by me,” Kyle finished for a while. Then, he started again. “There was that little blond gal, alien through and through, but what a girl. I thought for a time we might have something going, but things don’t always work out the way you want. I married Pam and settled down to keep out of the alien abyss.

Kyle looked up and smiled, “Sometimes, though, when I get to thinking about the past. I can get some pretty respectable sparks going between my fingers. That always pissed off your daddy, Jimmy. He didn’t ever want to admit that he might have any alien blood and maybe, he doesn’t.

Janice had waited impatiently for the two girls to come by her place. They promised to be there right after school. Janice could have done this all by herself, but she was just too nervous. Mandy had promised to call Miss Parker and ask if she could bring a visitor by.

Liz Parker was alone so much that she was delighted for some friend of the scouts wanted to come by to see her. Liz was nervous, also, and she had no idea why. She had been making different kinds of cookies every since morning. Liz had prepared both a pitcher of lemonade and also one of iced tea. She had changed her clothes and put on her best apron. Now, she was sitting in the living room of her small house waiting for her guests.

Mandy and Louise were seen running down the street, by Janice, when they were still half a block away. They knocked on her door and when she answered, they said, “Sorry we are late! We got delayed from leaving school this afternoon. Some of the teachers think we don’t have any life other than school.”

“That is okay, girls. I am just nervous about this afternoon, you see, Miss Parker was a very close friend of my mother’s. I have been putting off seeing her for too long. I don’t even know why,” Janice told them.

The doorbell rang. Since Jimmy and Sammy had replaced some of the parts, it worked perfectly. When Liz opened the door, she was surprised. The two girls said they wanted to bring a friend by to meet her. Their friend was a middle aged woman who someway seemed familiar. Mandy spoke, “Miss Parker, this is Janice Guerin. Her mother and father are…”

That was as far as Mandy got. “Oh my, you are Maria and Michael’s daughter!” Liz exclaimed. “How are your mother and father doing?”

Liz had missed Maria so much. Maria had left, taking Michael with her because she knew that Michael wanted to completely get away from the alien abyss. Max was going to war and Michael made it clear that nothing that happened to Antar should be any concern of theirs. This was strange, because growing up, it had always been Michael who continually looked for his past. Now, he said, “Max, those bastards left us without any support. They left us in a strange land. They didn’t know if the natives would raise us or eat us. Max, they didn’t care about us. Why do you want to risk everything to go back to them? What about Liz? You told her you loved her. Now, you are off to get your butt shot off in some squabble that doesn’t amount to anything to us. I don’t see Isabel rushing to follow you, either. Don’t you think I am going to leave Maria! I think she is what I have been looking for all my life.” That had been the last they had seen of Michael. Maria took a singing tour and Michael worked with the crew. More than that, Liz didn’t know.

Liz sat them all down at a table and served a huge platter of cookies. She offered the tea and lemonade. Then, Janice started to fill her in about the Guerins. “I was born on the tour. Mom wore dresses that didn’t allow her pregnancy to show. I don’t think her managers even knew about it. It wasn’t too many more years until mom got tired of the tour. She could make a good living writing and dad wanted to stop somewhere where he could continue his art. Knowing mom and dad, you can imagine that I grew up quite the free spirit. I flirted with marriage a time or two. I always knew that I was the daughter of a famous singer and an alien soldier. I couldn’t find any fellow who measured up to either dad or mom. I started writing also, but it was software. I guess I could have become rich if I had wanted to. When I got enough to see me through, I quit. Mom and dad always preached, ‘Do things that please you, girl.’ They were not too much into work to get rich. Now, here I am. I have taken over grandma’s old place and the scouts are helping me get it straightened up.” Janice had finished and now was much more comfortable in Liz’s presence.

“Where are Maria and Michael living?” Liz asked

“Right now, they are in Kansas. They move every few years. Mom can’t make herself be that settled. With encouragement, I hope that I can talk them into returning to Roswell. I want to settle down somewhere and where better than where there are others I can talk to about the alien abyss?” Janice concluded.

Liz showed tears as she said, “I would dearly love to see Maria and even Michael again. You know that he once said I was a real alien friend. That was a lot for your father. He was pretty closed lip about feelings.”

The afternoon turned into evening and both girls, Mandy and Louise had to get home. They told their parents they would be late doing scouting work, but they hadn’t said how long. It would be best not to try their parents’ trust too much. Janice promised to return and they left not knowing that Liz spent the rest of the evening crying for her lost memories.

Now, Maria had even more reason to return to Roswell. Michael was as stoic as always, Maria had learned to take and love him as she lived her life. Only one time had Michael been adamant about where they went and that wads when max told him that he, Max, was returning to Antar. Micharl stormed home and informed Maria that he wanted out of Roswell. He didn’t care where they went, but he did not want any guilt for ignoring a people on a strange world that he told himself, he didn’t even like.

Michael always said that he was only here for a short time. He didn’t belong on Earth and he wanted to return to his people. When he saw more of the Antarians, Michael changed. Maria was his people. Her friends and family were his friends and family. It wasn’t the difficult life he found on Earth. Rather, it was the abandonment that he felt for so many years. Now, he heard those from Antar making a whining cry for help. They had dumped him as a baby in the desert. He survived without their help, let them do the same without his help.

Maria wanted to return to Roswell. Of course, that is where Janice was living and that was what was most important. But, Kyle was a good guy, Michael might like to hoist a couple beers (never more than two) with him. Liz had always been faithful, even if she had been abandoned by one of their own, Max. Maria loved Liz and who Maria loved, Michael would find more than tolerable. Janice had taken over the old homestead. Michael knew that Maria would respect Janice’s space. Maybe, they could find a small home somewhere in a very quiet neighborhood.

Isabel and Jesse were now living in Boston. Isabel had grandchildren, but they were scattered all over the country. When Philip Evans died, they helped her mother, Diane, to find a smaller place still in Roswell. When Diane died a few years later, Isabel had no interest in the small home Diane had lived in since Philip’s death. Diane had expressed little desire in coming to Boston at her advanced age. The southwest was running at a much slower pace. Isabel had sold Diane’s place. Now, Jesse was thinking of retiring. He had developed a good law practice. It would be easy to sell out to his partners, either outright or for an amount that would be his retirement. There was another thing he could do and that made a lot more sense. Jesse and Isabel had two sons The oldest son had, like his dad, become a lawyer. If the partners agreed, Philip Ramirez might take his father’s place. A Philip Evans started the firm and a Philip Ramirez would, again, be working in the firm. Then Jesse would still have contact with the firm as a consultant in the west. They had discussed where they wanted to live. Isabel now was beginning to feel the rush of the city. Her mother’s words were coming back to her. Isabel was looking for a slower place to live.

James Ricker was getting tired of being a pilot. He had flown many powerful airplanes. The rush of power was now with out the glory that it had many years ago. He had married stewardesses 4 times. That was his trouble. James liked women. He met his first wife working on a plane. They joined the “mile high club” and that led to marriage. She quit her job and settled down to raise two daughters. It wasn’t long before the Mile high club called again. There was something about fucking a woman a mile above the ground. The forbidden act, taking place so high above those who made the rules, was just so intoxicating that again, James was drawn to a new love. Divorce, child support, every slur she could heap on his reputation did not deter him. Soon, he had a new misses. After the fourth time, James got a vasectomy. When number four left, James was free just to seek members of his club with no consequences. Flying didn’t have any thrill for James anymore. Pissing in the little cup before flights, taking blood test from time to time, they always assumed that he had been guilty of something. Now, they were demanding that he stand before that damned machine which showed everything. James did, mind being naked, but he felt that such a show should at least have some sweet young putting out at the end. James was thinking about quitting. Then, he saw it.

After number four, James had quit counting. He had been working on this little number for some time. She had to be a really hot piece, because she hadn’t yet given into James’ entreaties to go back to the galley for a few minutes. The thing went past James like his plane was standing still. It could have been round. It could have been triangular. It could have been a damned teacup. It was fast and it was bright. The noise from the passengers behind him all said they had seen it, also. UFO scares were not common anymore; nothing like in the late1940s when every flight had an UFO sighting or the flight was written up as nothing special happened this time. Fighters were scrambled at every base across the country. All, any of them saw, was a tail end of something that was fast. The super secret Aurora III was up in the air. As if to add insult, the invader turned and did rolls around the best that the “Skunk Works” had built to date. Then, it blasted off leaving the pilot of the Aurora to checking his air speed to see if somehow, he was just suspended in space going nowhere. (Skunkworks is a slang name for the super secret aircraft testing program at Area 51)

When the unknown ship landed, it was outside Roswell. The hotdog pilot when he let out his passenger, did so without any fanfare. He was completely in stealth mode. The ship left Earth the same way. Fun was over, he had shook up the locals, made his delivery and now, was gone. Maybe, he could buzz the primates of “Kantor,” before he returned to his home base and boring patrol, of his dying planet. Watching those poor bastards throwing spears at his ship had a little fun involved in it, much better than patrolling his planet looking for a rebellion that no longer existed.

JKR 1981-2001
JJR 1975-
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: I Heard You Calling teen CC pg2 ch 5 Nov 28, 2010

Post by ken_r »

Begonia9508: Men do foolish things for what they see as honor. I watch military families and see what they have to suffer and the real chance that their love one might not return. In the US military this includes both fathers and mothers. The family that stays home makes themselves believe in what the soldier does.

To me Liz being alone is a reality. As my son is so far from home and my relatives all dying i can feel the fear of being alone. As i age i see that no matter what troubles we had, Carole and i being close to my parents must have been some comfort for them. Carole's mother is far away, but Carole and she talk at least once a week. Her mother is surrounded by her other children.

Writing this I realized that no one knows how they would feel about the return of a loved one. I wrote Liz as i felt her while seeing what she faced.

mary mary: remember it will not be just the senior citizens, but also, the scouts who bring vitality to their elders.

keepsmiling7

Chapter 6

The El Paso City Police had found the old man sleeping on a park bench. They arrested him as a vagrant. The sergeant took one look and said, “You are not booking him here. Look at him. I don’t know which war he was in or on what side he fought on, but he is a veteran and he deserves respect. The sergeant had recently returned from his fourth tour of the near east. He had fought in every country there, our army’s interest changing so many times. The way the man tried to stand when they awakened him, the way he showed difference to rank and the old wounds shown on his body said that somewhere he had seen real action. The sergeant wasn’t ever going to throw a warrior in jail just because he was down on his luck.

They found no identification on the man. He was having trouble understanding English. He could speak almost nothing. He found himself at the Military Medical Facilities at San Antonio, Texas. His investigative officer was Captain Alejandro (Alex to his gringo friends) Ramirez.

Alex found the man very strange. The minute he met him, something went off in Alex’s mind. The patient’s complexion was a dark, almost reddish brown. When they removed his shirt and pants, the covered parts of his body were very light. He had been exposed to intense radiation somewhere. Either he was learning very fast or he knew more English than he let on. Now, he was able to take directions much better. Once, while Alex was trying to talk to him, the man stumbled. He let loose with words that none of them had ever heard. It was clear that his speech was cursing, but none of the men who heard him, had any idea of what language the words were, or whose god he was damning.

At one point, Alex was holding the man’s head trying to look into his one good eye, hoping to establish some sort of contact. Alex was surprised to see a vision of two naked children walking hand in hand down a road toward headlights. That was all that Alex saw, but it was so clear.

The doctors at the facility were trying to examine him. It was clear that he had endured a lot of trauma. When they examined his eye they found that part of the optical nerve had tried to heal and some growth was seen. All of this had been a long time ago and now, there was no hope for any chance for sight.

The cuts and abrasions done to his body were also marks of a difficult life. When closely examined, they showed even more trauma than first observed.

Every time Alex was near the man, another piece of some puzzle was seen. It was a puzzle that Alex had no idea of the order or location of any of the visions he got from the man. Alex did get some strange feelings, about which finally, he called his mother.

Late night calls are always dreaded by any parent. They almost never are good news. If anyone has anything good to say, they would wait until a decent time to say it. Isabel and Jesse could always be very proud of their younger son. He had distinguished himself in his chosen profession. He was married and had two children. Isabel and Jesse did not get to see their family as much as they wanted, but what grandparent does? Now a sudden call almost at bed time, although in San Antonio it would only be nine o’clock, was frightening. “Mom,” the call started. You remember the stories you always told me about you and your brother being found in the desert? Do you think there might have been any other alien children found the same way?” Alex asked.

“Dear, there were four of us in that group. You remember, there was my brother, our friend and another girl. There was another four, which ended up in New York. We never knew much about how they were found. If there were more children, we never knew anything about them. Why do you ask?”

“We have an indigent. Everything about him speaks military service. He has been badly wounded and he can’t speak English. When I am near him I get flashes that remind me of the stories you always told. Do you think you and dad could come to San Antonio for a few days to look at him. At least, dad could look into getting him better care. He probably needs legal representation soon. They may decide to ship him out as a foreign national or an illegal entity.” Those words from Alejandro were disturbing to Isabel. Who would give alien feelings to her son? Somewhere, she always had hopes that it might be Max, who would be found by someone. That was silly. To see Max again, after all of those years, was so improbable.

The four scouts tended Mr. Hanson’s place and Janice’s place, but when they were prepared to go to Miss. Parker’s, Janice informed them that she wanted to come also.

Liz was very surprised when she opened the door and saw Janice Guerin standing with the four scouts. “I just wanted to come back and see how you were doing. Maybe, I can help someway. Mama told me to be sure to tell you that I had talked to her. If you would allow it, she would like your phone number so she could call you sometime,” Janice asked. It was almost as if she understood that Liz had, like so many elderly people, gotten a telephone plan that charged for all calls going out. Incoming calls were free. That was cheaper, but it encouraged the elderly to not make calls themselves. Service companies made arrangements to help the elderly, by restricting their environment.

Maybe that wasn’t as cruel as first seen. Who did Liz Parker, Miss Parker have to talk to? She had no idea where her closest friend, Maria, had gone. She had never gotten over Max Evans the husband who she had only in her mind. There was no legal recognition of her marriage or of his death. Liz hadn’t exactly been the social butterfly the last few years. Sometimes, the world seems to die around the elderly even before they themselves die. The scouts were the first bright light she had seen in several years. Now the woman, Janice Guerin, promised to bring Maria back into her life. Things like her phone plan might have to change.

At noon, the request went out as it did every time, “Can you tell us more stories about aliens?”

Liz had the four scouts and Janice sitting around her table eating sandwiches and drinking punch. Liz looked at Janice and said, “Did your mother ever tell you about the time she met your father?”

Janice laughed and stated, “No, but knowing them, I bet the story is a whopper of a tale.”

Well, it is and you have to know both of them to understand it. “Because her father left her when she was very young, Maria distrusted all men and that included boys. She also became a romantic watching her mother’s attempts at dating. Maria desperately wanted some sort of romance, but she distrusted the intentions of the boys she met. There was this FBI investigator working undercover as a schoolteacher and later a school counselor. She was investigating aliens. She paired us off to see what reactions we would have. She gave us a number of questions we were supposed to ask each other. I was paired with Isabel, my ex-boyfriend, your grandfather was paired with Max. Kyle was still angry that I had dumped him for Max. Janice, your mother and father, were paired together. Your father was very sullen and your mother was caustic. That promised sparks for sure,” Liz related.

“How could the counselor learn anything from questions?” Sammy said.

“Well, some of the questions were simple and some of them could be embarrassing. Like the one Kyle asked Max in my presence. Max and I were trying to conceal our relationship. Kyle looking at me asked Max, ‘Have you ever been in love?’ All Max could do was choke out, ‘no.’ To me that word was like a sword piercing my heart,” Liz closed her eyes. She remembered the pain that question cost Max, also. “We were all fighting these questions, while Maria was looking for Michael. He didn’t attend much school back then. Michael had a vision of a place, Marathon, Texas, which he thought was important to aliens. He had no car, so he talked Maria into taking him to the highway, where he intended to hitchhike the rest of the way. Somewhere along the way, he stole her car and she refused to get out of it. I didn’t know Michael very well, so when I found out about it, I was afraid for Maria. Isabel and Max did know Michael and they were terrified about what he would do. Michael wasn’t much for careful planning in those days. We caught up with them when their car broke down. They were staying at a cheap motel. Maria described it as a ‘porno version of Aladan.’ When we broke in on them, we found Michael on the floor and Maria on top of him. Maria jumped up and screamed, ‘this isn’t like it looks.’ Michael tried to be nonchalant saying, “Maria, honey, everyone knows what we were doing,’” Liz turned to look at Jimmy. “Then your grandfather, Kyle, who was following Max and the rest of us walked in. We had to tell him that it is a drug buy to get him off guard. That didn’t really work, all it did was arouse something in both Michael and Maria for each other,” Liz finished.

Janice clapped her hands. “That is so my parents. That is a fitting story for how they ever got together. I can imagine how it looked, mom on top of dad. Even if they had been doing something she would have denied it,” Janice laughed.

Liz stated, “Remember, Maria had never had a boyfriend to this point. For us to see her on top of Michael, on the floor, really upset her. It also stirred things in her mind.”

Jesse and Isabel had just arrived at the airport in San Antonio. Alejandro met them and he would take them home to have supper with his wife, Anna and his two children, Pedro and Angie, later. Now, he wanted them to see the mysterious patient.

When they entered the hospital room, the patient started shaking the minute that he saw Isabel. He should know her, but it was a younger vision that kept surfacing in his mind. Yes this was an older version of someone he should know. And the man standing behind her was an older Hispanic man than was in his mind. He must be her husband. What was his name? Who were these people? Somehow they must mean a lot to him.

Isabel looked at the man sitting on the bed. He was fully clothed, but he wasn’t wearing any shoes. He was much darker than even Jesse. Where his sleeves rode up on his arms, and looking at his bare feet, you could see the natural color of his skin, it was very light. Isabel hadn’t ever seen a suntan that would produce the color that she saw in the man. Isabel had never been under the red sun shining through the clouds of the ruined planet of Antar.

When he turned to face Isabel, she almost fled. Isabel had not seen any burned or scarred victims, before. The patch he wore on his left eye drew attention to the trauma his face had suffered. Isabel felt the presence of Max, but she could not match this to the creature she saw in front of her. If it was Max, why hadn’t heeled himself?

Max did not connect the elderly lady in front of him with Isabel, at first. Yes, she was familiar, but she didn’t answer any of his mental entreaties. She seemed to be Antarian, but she wasn’t acting Antarian. It must be remembered that Max had, until recently, been surrounded only by Antarians, who used their minds as much, if not more, than their speech to communicate. Isabel had not been around any aliens since they all broke up. It had been years since she had felt mental flashes as she had with Max and Michael so long ago. Max felt the familiarity about this woman, but he couldn’t connect with whom, she might be. Max had been confused ever since the ship had deposited him in the desert near the old pod chamber. Back on Antar, he had felt always surrounded by beings, even if you could not see anyone, you were in a mental cloud of voices and beings. True, many of them hated him. Still, he continually knew that people were around. Here, was like being in a dark room. Close the door and he felt like he was in total isolation. At first, that young military man had something about him. Max tried to expand his mind, but the young man did not respond. Max thought he should communicate, but try as hard as he could, he couldn’t remember the speech he heard them all speaking. Both the trauma in his mind and the disuse of the Earth language separated him from those he saw.

Isabel slowly walked forward. It was as much for her self as it was to not scare the old man. Isabel was fighting with her self to keep down the revulsion she felt in seeing this stranger who wasn’t a stranger. Isabel reached and touched his face. It was as if she transferred a spark like you would, dragging your feel across a rug. They both jumped from the surprise. The flashes they both received were identical. Both saw two little naked children walking toward a pair of headlights. Both saw the two adults hugging them tightly. Then visions passed back and fourth in such rapid succession that it would take hours for either to understand them. Finally, holding onto each other, they both broke down and cried.
---------------------------
not to burst anyone's balloon during Christmas, but maybe to instill a bit of humility,I would like to remind everyone to prey for those who face Christmas with a certain sadness. I offer two stories, The Christmas Gift and Christmas Gift # 2 . What ever your religion, this is the time for renewing. Happy holidays to all. ken r

JKR 1981-2001
JJR 1975-
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: I Heard You Calling teen CC pg3 ch 6 Dec 7, 2010

Post by ken_r »

begonia 9508: Max's return was at first delayed because of the politics of Antar. Later it will be said that you don't just jump on a flight to Earth. Max had to wait until one could be arranged. I am sure like all wars Max had no idea of how long this war would last. I was reading about generals in the Cival War here in the states. Heroes were chosen by the federal army, but they did not have skill. It was a drunken reject, Ulysses Grant who finally managed to pull the union army together, Maybe. It could be that the fighting by that time was just worn out.

keepsmiling7: see what was written above. It is to loved ones to see past the wounds. Alex was good at what he did because of his alien heritage,

mary mary: Zane Grey wrote of the men who ruined their lives fighting in WWI. It took their loved ones to bring them back. See what i wrote Eve above with respect to Max returning.

Chapter 7

Miss Parker enjoyed the young people so much. The scouts were so serious when they asked for alien stories. She was sure that this was a search for community roots of some sort. Liz had not had any contact with Kyle after he married Pam Troy. Liz and Pam did not like each other. That, in itself, was strange. Liz was not a vindictive person, but somewhere in their far past, she and Pam had crossed swords. Maybe, it was because Pam thought Liz was just a geek and geeks should stay in their place. Pam was not happy that, for a time, Kyle had dated Liz. Then, there was that alien nonsense that they could never explain to Pam, of them all having secrets.

It was a surprise, being in the middle of the week, when Liz answered the knock on her door. “Miss Parker, could I come in and talk?” Mandy Garcia asked.

“Of course Mandy, sit down and I will get us some lemonade,” Liz replied.

Mandy sat on the couch twitching. Was this a good idea of coming to impose on this lady? They cared for her and had undertaken helping her for a year as a scout project. Mandy, for one, intended to extend this care and friendship, for as long as she could. Mandy and the scouts had brought a lot to Miss Parker, but Miss Parker had given them a lot in return. There had always been rumors that there was a lot more to the alien stories than were commonly told. The people Mandy had met recently had lived these stories. They were not second hand.

Liz returned with a tray holding two tall iced glasses containing the lemonade she had made, along with a plate of cookies. Liz handed a glass to Mandy and setting the plate between them, she took a place opposite the couch. “What can I do for you, Mandy?” Liz asked.

“Miss Parker, tell me more about the alien boy who loved you?” Mandy asked.

“Mandy, I understand that your parents raised you to have respect for your elders, but I think we are friends enough that you can call me Liz. Let’s see. Where do I start?” Liz mused.

“Start at the beginning, Miss … I mean Liz,” Mandy requested.

“Well I had known Max most of my school life. That is, I knew who he was. Maria and I had been friends as long as I could remember. My parents were working night and day with the restaurant. You have to understand that starting a business is very difficult. They were always busy and Maria didn’t even have a father, so we were drawn together. Max Evans, on the other, hand was the adoptive son of a very influential family. Boys are not into clothes, but you could see in how his sister dressed, that their family was well off. Max was smart and the teachers put us together many times for school projects. At the time, I would have chosen Maria, but the teachers paired her with Kyle or some other boy who was not that serious with their classes,” Liz took a breath. This was bringing back strong memories.

“Then, you knew Max long before you learned to care about him and knew that he was an alien?” Mandy asked.

“Cared about him? That is a question. Max came from a wealthy family. My father and mother were slaving away, night and day, over the restaurant. I felt we were from different planets, long before I learned that we actually were from different planets. We spoke and we were thrown together at school, but it wasn’t until that day that I almost died, that we formed a relationship. The Evans family was wealthy, but they didn’t necessarily spoil their adoptive children. For reasons I learned later Isabel, always seemed to be snooty. When you knew Isabel you could see that she was mainly scared. She didn’t trust anyone except for Max and Michael. Max never thought about his good fortune to have plenty of money. Where I just saw him, he was becoming in love with me. That day the restaurant was filled. There was the UFO convention in town. Maria didn’t have a boy friend, but she was always looking for prospects for her friends. She kept telling me that Max was starring at me. I, of course, didn’t believe her. Like many girls that age, I had issues about how I looked. We all spent time looking at “Teen” magazine and several fashion magazines. We were always comparing ourselves to those impossible creatures. Except for Max, I always thought the rich boys would want rich girls, who had money for fashions and cosmetics. When I lay dying, I saw into his eyes. I didn’t know that he was looking into my soul and all that I thought,” Liz narrated.

“Could Max read minds?” Mandy asked.

“That was the first question I asked him when he told me what he saw. No, when things were intense, aliens could sense things that were on the mental surface of someone important to them,” Liz explained.

“You had no idea that Max was thinking about you all those years?” Mandy inquired.

“No dear, Boys and girls might as well be from different planets at that age. I was going with Kyle and I didn’t even have any idea that all he wanted was to get me undressed somewhere. I had no idea of myself being a project with him. When Max showed me how he saw me later, that was a revelation. How could I love another boy when I saw how Max saw me? Liz explained.

“What if the guy you like isn’t an alien?” Mandy asked.

“You mean like Jimmy Valenti?” Liz inquired.

“Yeah, Jimmy. I have had a thing for him as long as I have known him. I can’t talk this over with my parents. They still insist that I marry a Latino. They would have a fit if I married outside the church,” Mandy explained.

“Hon, always respect your parents, but remember at sometime you have to follow your heart,” Liz stated.

“Well, this is probably academic anyhow. Jimmy doesn’t seem to know I exist,” Mandy sadly said.

Janice Guerin had placed the two stones that Jimmy had found on her dresser. She intended to ask her mother the next time she talked to her about them. They just slipped her mind as she was concerned with talking her folks into returning to Roswell. At first, they had agreed to think about it. Then, when Maria had phoned Liz, she informed Janice that she and Michael were seriously considering the move. Finally, she told Janice to seek out a nice small house somewhere in a quiet neighborhood not too far from the old home Janice was living in. That meant that Maria and Michael would be in Roswell soon. Janice remembered that was the way her parents did things, nothing overt, just little steps at a time. That was Maria reining in the impetuosity of Michael. Janice didn’t know it, but Maria tempering Michael gave her more perspective in her own thoughts.

About a week later, the stones started a quiet hum. At first, Janice thought the hum was something in the house about to fail; maybe the refrigerator, the air conditioner of even the plumbing. Finally one night, she got up in the dark and traced the hum to the dresser where the stones were sitting. For the first time since Jimmy had given them to her, she picked them up. They did not feel like rocks. They both felt warm like a radio or something that had been left running for some time. Maria and Michael would be in Roswell soon, so Janice just put the stones in another room where she couldn’t hear the hum and returned to bed. She would let Michael explain them later.

The scouts were at the Parker home this weekend. Louise and Mandy had taken Miss Parker shopping one afternoon that week. At first, Mandy was frightened that Miss Parker would say something concerning her long talk about Jimmy. Mandy had no reason to fear. Being a school teacher, Miss Parker had been privy to many confidences over the years. She learned that the secrets that might seem trivial to her, could be life threatening to the students who confided in her. Miss Parker would be very careful whom she told anything about Mandy.

Louise and Mandy had convinced Liz to buy some more modern clothes. “Girls, why do I need clothes like those? I don’t ever go any place. No one cares what I look like,” Liz stated.

“Oh, Miss Parker,” Louise said. “Don’t talk like that. We would gladly take you places if you wanted. Janice says her parents are almost ready to move to Roswell. Don’t you want to look nice when you see them? Jimmy’s granddad, Kyle, is your age and he says he wants to still cut a rug in the world. We aren’t quite sure what he means, but he tries to take a lot of time in his choice of clothes.”

Yes, and if you get some nice clothes, you might want to attend some religious services on the weekends,” Mandy stated.

Liz sighed, “Yes, I might try to get out sometime. I have been waiting far too long for a king who probably will never return. I might even like to see Kyle again. That would be a trip,” Liz laughed as did the girls.

Mandy quietly said, “But, if the king should ever return, you would want to look your best, wouldn’t you?”

Now the trip to the mall was over and the four scouts were all helping Liz with her housework. Jimmy and Sammy had painted the fence, the house trim and even, the front door. Liz wearing a pair of old levies and a scarf over her head had joined them and she was planting flowers in the small garden by her front door. By noontime, Mandy and Louise had finished vacuuming the inside of the house and helped set up a grocery list for Liz. The four scouts had all retired to the table where Liz had served sandwiches, which Louise had prepared. Sammy, without fail, reminded her, “Tell us more stories, Miss Parker.”

“We hadn’t been going together very long,” Liz started. “The idea of a relationship scared Max. He kept saying let’s let things cool down for a while. I found this confusing at the least. In his arms, we were as passionate as we could be and not get into trouble. One time while kissing, I received flashes of the crash. It was strange, because the flashes were not from Max. It was as if I had been a third person watching the crash happen. I was pushing Max pretty hard. That day, we had just gotten in trouble one time after another.” Liz was interrupted by a knock on the door. Going to it, she opened the door to see Janice Guerin standing there.

“Hi, Liz. I just dropped by to see if there was anything I could help the scouts with. I also, want to tell you that mom and dad will be here in a week or so,” Janice informed Liz.

“Come in, Janice. We are just having lunch and I am telling a story. Your mom is included, so you will probably enjoy it too,” Liz stated.

Janice sat down with the scouts and Liz took up her story. “As I was saying, on one hand Max would say we had to go slower and on the other hand, we would get into passionate kissing matches. The truth was, neither Max nor I had any real experience at love. The flashes were confusing, but they brought me closer to the knowledge of the crash. In one flash, I saw an old windmill or something like that. Time dims my memory so much. Now, you have to understand, Max and I had been caught in the eraser room, a make out place for students if they were bold enough. Max got us into trouble talking while the science teacher was giving his lecture. The eraser room deal caused my mother to be called in to the principal’s office. If you don’t think that made her mad, you don’t know Nancy Parker. I think she was maddest that she was seeing that I was growing up. I was making decisions for what I was doing with my body and, justly so, she was frightened.”

“With age, you see so many mistakes that young people make that you see disaster in every move. I was grounded right after school, but by then, the science teacher had already put us into detention. Max and I decided that we were going to go as far as necessary to understand the flashes. Janice, your dad wanted us to go all the way if that is what it took to get more flashes. That really upset Max. He thought that Michael didn’t understand the feelings Max had for me. We all wanted information, but Max and I were taking our relationship to another level. Michael already had his apartment by this time, so Max and I went there. Isabel was there with Michael. I guess we chased them out. Max and I started our fumbling at love making, Max taking his coat and shirt off, me taking my jacket off. All this time, we were fervently kissing. We were lying on the couch when, Maria comes in looking for Michael.”

Janice laughed, “Was that payback for you breaking in on them at the Aladdin motel?

“Maybe, Janice, but Maria was not prepared to see us in that position. It really shook her up. At the time, I don’t think she remembered the motel. Our mood was broken or maybe some reason had returned for a brief time, so Maria took me home. All the way she lectured me about not being in control. I wasn’t my self. Maria was very much a romantic, but she again had that mistrust of men and boys in general. There were many issues with her father. When I crawled back in the window to my room, there was my mother waiting for me,” Liz concluded. “Wait a minute. Your mother had to see the principal because you were kissing in the eraser room. She found out that you had detention for mis-behavior in the science room and finally, caught you sneaking back into your room, obviously having been doing something she was sure she wouldn’t approve of.” Janice listed.

“There is more,” Liz said. After my parents went to bed, Max came to see me. He climbed up to the second story over the Crashdown. My window was opened to a small balcony. We thought we recognized something from the flashes. Now, Max thought he knew the place in the flash. We went back out the window and drove to where he thought I had seen in the flash. He took a blanket which we sat on and started kissing again.”

Mandy looked at Miss Parker. “Did you want to get caught?” she asked.

Liz sighed. “Mandy, I, to this day do not know. There seemed to be a light appearing and we began digging. We found a stone with designs on it. Somehow looking at the stone we feel asleep in each other’s arms. An old Hispanic cowboy woke us up and told us to leave. That is all he said. We had spent the whole night kissing, petting and digging. I swear that is all we did. When we got home at sun rise, the Evans family, along with my parents were waiting for us.” Liz looked at the stunned group.

Finally, Janice said, “Jimmy and Sammy found that stone and another one like it. Recently, the stones started humming. I placed them in a spare room so I could get some sleep.

Liz put her hand to her mouth. “Oh my gosh, we were told that they were communication stones. If they are humming, that means someone is trying to communicate with us.

-----------------------
I offer two stories, The Christmas Gift and Christmas Gift # 2 . What ever your religion, this is the time for renewing. Happy holidays to all. ken r

JKR 1981-2001
JJR 1975-
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: I Heard You Calling teen CC pg3 ch 7 Dec 12, 2010

Post by ken_r »

mary mary
begonia9508
keepsmiling7

Chapter 8

Jesse had no doubt that the stranger was Max. What had happened to him was a question. Max Evans had a social security number and he had a high school graduation certificate, framed on the Evans’ wall. That was one memory that Diane kept as her son had disappeared. Wait a minute! What had happened to that certificate when Diane died? Jesse could not remember. Had they packed it up with the other things of Isabel’s mother? Max Evans had identity, somewhere. Jesse had to prove this man was Max Evans. Taking his DNA was not a good idea.

Speech in English was slowly returning to Max. Isabel came to see him every day. Alejandro informed the authorities that he thought this man might be his uncle. Everyone wondered how he received such trauma. Clearly it was military, but where and what action had Max seen? Isabel was visiting with Max in the day and in the night she was dream-walking him. Slowly, his story was forming. Isabel was sitting beside her husband, Jesse and opposite her son, Alejandro. “Max had no business in war. He was too gentle of a person to be fighting. Max was always a healer. Even when we were fighting everyone after graduation, Max hated hurting anyone. When it was decided that Tess was our enemy, Michael and I wanted to kill her, Max refused. He refused twice, first time when he allowed her to take their unborn son back to Antar and then again, when she returned with their son and we were all aligned against her,” she said.

Alejandro was trying to understand this strange person who was his uncle. Max grew up with Alejandro’s mother. Alejandro knew a lot of the family history. He knew that his mother had killed an alien posing as a congresswoman. He had been told about how difficult it had been for her to grow up among humans, without any advice and learning everything on her own. To him, his mother was a wise and gentle creature. It was Isabel who talked to Anna when Alejandro announced that he was going to get married. It was Isabel who cautioned Anna when Pedro and Angie were born about the things to watch out for with part alien children. Anna loved his mother almost as much as he did. Max couldn’t be that much different from Isabel. Now, he had returned from war. He was a perfect case of “post-traumatic stress disorder or PTSD.”

Isabel had been sitting with Max during the mornings. When she dream-walked Max at night, she knew perfectly well what to do. That was her world. When she sat with him in the daytime, that was different. Max would do what he was told to do. The rest of the time, he was almost catatonic. Isabel thought she was not gaining any ground with Max until that one day when his right eye clouded up and he began to sob. For the first time, she heard him speak about the people of Antar. “Isabel, I have failed myself and our people. They wanted a leader and I was a dreamer. It was a disaster,” he moaned.

Isabel put her arms around Max and pulled him close. “Max, from what I saw in your dreams, you rid them of the dictator. Removing that ruthless man who killed our gene donors had to be some accomplishment. Max, he killed our family,” she exclaimed.

“Isabel, he was a horribly ruthless person, but the royals didn’t play that nice either. They were terribly cruel themselves. What I saw, of our so called family, was not pleasant. We thought Tess was bad. She was more like the Antarians than any of the rest of us. I might have been on the wrong side of their war,” Max sobbed. Then, he continued. “Those people needed to find a solution themselves. I couldn’t lead them. I didn’t even know how to lead.” Max quietly lay in Isabel’s arms for several minutes. “Isabel, you don’t know how lucky we were to be sent to a place where we grew up, in at least, a working democracy. Those people have no idea of what I was trying to tell them. They looked at the government and the freedom I preached, as license to what ever they wanted. If one government went bad and you replaced it by killing everyone responsible, the next government was soon just as bad as the first. They didn’t understand what I was trying to tell them. They only respected power, which at the end of the war, I no longer had. They respected heroic deeds, which I never could do. In the end, they were as disappointed in me as I was in them.”

It was hard for Isabel to hear, but now at least, she had Max back with her and communicating. Many nights Isabel lay in Jesse’s arms. There had been many rocky days in their marriage. Racial acceptance was easy for Jesse. He was Hispanic, but his mother had raised him to accept all races and cultures. No, Jesse had had trouble with a difference species. He found himself married to a woman who could do many things that some would consider magic. His ancestors, would have seen his wife as a bruja for sure. The older Hispanics did not look on witchcraft as did the Anglos. Many times, they saw it as benevolent. To Isabel, the things she could do were just an instinctive knowledge of a higher physics than earth people knew. Her DNA, partially taken from humans, did not cause any problem with conceiving two sons, but Jesse had to learn to accept that, Isabel, for all her powers, needed the same protection as he should be extended to any woman, him being a man. There were many physical things that Isabel could far surpass him in doing. Jesse found himself facing racial, species and a certain thoughts of sexism that he had to come to terms with. Isabel needed and deserved the same affection, as did any woman. She had given him children out of love. He was obligated to return that love and offer her a sanctuary regardless of how strong she might appear.

Over 40 years, now , none of this mattered. Isabel had mothered their children. She had stood by him and showed him loyalty. Now, the fact that she was his wife was all that mattered. The pressure of caring for her brother made her fragile and Jesse was determined to be there for her.

Jesse would bare any pain he could, if it would help Isabel. He had to endure the angst and sorrow that Max had shared with Isabel, also.

“Max, why did you return?” Isabel asked Max one day.

“Isabel, I returned to die. I didn’t want to die on that ruined world, where so many blamed me for not being someone else. I hoped you would forgive me and I guess that is enough. I will ask no one else for forgiveness. I don’t deserve it,” Max replied.

“Max, what about Michael? Don’t you want me to try to contact him?” she asked.

“Not yet, Izzy. Michael made what I, many times, think was the correct decision. Michael chose Maria and I only hope he found happiness. You were correct when you told me to stay with Liz and keep what I had. Maybe someday, I can talk to Michael. He needs to know that he made the best choice. If I remember, we all were pretty hard on him at times,” Max expounded.

“Speaking about Liz, what about her? Do you still have strong feelings for her? Do want to try to contact her?” Isabel asked.

“No, no, I have hurt Liz enough. I only hope she found happiness with someone else. I have the same feelings for Liz as ever, but I do not want to be in her life again.” Max was adamant about ever bringing any more grief to Liz Parker. Deep in his mind, he entertained thoughts of seeing Liz again, but he wanted her not to ever know that he had returned. Maybe, Isabel could arrange him to see her at a distance. Max just wanted to know that she was alive and well.

For forty years, Liz had been absent from the alien abyss. Most of those years, she had clung to the hope that Max would return. She was married. No matter what anyone said, Liz knew that she was married. Maybe not in the eyes of the law, but what did those eyes have to do with her? Liz had tended to Max’s parents as much as she had her own. Isabel had been back east with Jesse, so Liz was the daughter-in-law the Evans couple never had, and she became the daughter who lived nearby during their life. Liz knew that Isabel came to see the Evanses many times. For many reasons, she kept her distance from Isabel. The Evans family seemed to understand that there was something between their daughter and Liz, so they respected that by not mentioning her when Isabel was present. To Liz, seeing Isabel would be intolerable, since Liz was beginning to believe that she would never see Max again. Why was he the only one to leave? Didn’t he find her love as strong as what Isabel and Michael had found?

Liz kept his parents filled with hope that Max was alive, until the day they died. Before Isabel had returned to Roswell to settle her parent’s things, Liz had taken Max’s high school diploma and several pictures from their wall. Although Liz avoided seeing Isabel, when they returned, she was sure that no one would mind if his wife kept those few memories of her husband.

Liz had always had faint dreams about Max. For the most part, she believed that the dreams were just memories filtering through her mind. They hadn’t been clear like the visions she had had before graduation. Since Max had left, the dreams had been more like uneasiness. When she woke up, they quickly left her memory, leaving only a foreboding that things were not right. Of course, things were not right. Max was gone. Through the years, the dreams had been painful even though they lacked definition. A few times, Liz had woken in a sweat feeling that something terrible had happened to Max. Recently, Liz had been having trouble sleeping. To close her eyes was to conjure up thoughts of dread. Liz didn’t know what it meant, but something terrible had happened. Her doctor prescribed sleeping aids, when she took them, they just opened her mind to those troubled thoughts. The worst thing was that Liz had no one to talk to. She didn’t feel that the scouts should be burdened by the troubles of an old lady and they were about the only regular company she had. Janice had brought hope that maybe, Maria and Michael would return to Roswell. Liz needed, so much, someone she could safely relate to.

The relationship between an adult child and their parents is always a study. Both sides have to walk on tip-toes and both sides have to understand that the dynamics have changed. Maria had asked Janice to find a nice house not too far from where she lived. The word “nice” allowed Janice to discretely choose how close she wanted her mother to be.

Good parents will always worry about their children. They will, also, realize that they can be in a consulting role if requested, but they have no say in how their children run their lives. Good parents, who have good relationships with their children also, realize that it is only a matter of time when complete roll reversal will occur. No matter how much they do not want it to happen, there might be a time when the child is called on to make decisions for the parent. Janice wanted Maria and Michael close enough to keep in touch, but not so close that they would be in the habit of just dropping in unannounced. Currently there were no men in Janice’s life, but that didn’t mean she wanted to always be completely celibate. Janice wanted to start things out with the understanding that she needed and valued her privacy.

Janice located a small house in the older more established part of town. It was about five miles from the old Deluca house where Janice lived. Maria and Michael had two days and nights in a motel until their things caught up with them.

Early Saturday morning, they drove to the new house. Waiting for them was the moving van and also, Janice with four teens sitting on the porch. The piano was already in the living room and Michael’s art stuff was unpacked sitting on the small lawn. Michael promptly adopted the garage as his studio. Before their stuff had even arrived, Michael had seen the garage and was planning how to renovate the old building. Maria took over the living room. She had the small upright piano which was resting in the house with the rest of her things. Maria walked up to Janice with her arms opened. “You did good child,” Maria said to her daughter. “This will be a nice place and it is far enough from your house that you won’t be over borrowing things every day from your father.”

Janice had to laugh. She had established her tools and yard things, already. Maria was acknowledging Janice’s independence. The parents would be close enough for Janice to watch over them, but far enough to not revert back them being interference in the way Janice ran her life. Janice knew that it would be good to see her parents more often and to help them as they aged. The four scouts stood when Maria approached. “Mama,” Janice started, “Let me introduce my elves. They have helped me a lot. Here is Mandy Garcia, Louise Anderson and Sammy Gutierrez.” Janice then pulled Jimmy to the front. “Jimmy, meet your great aunt, almost. Kyle and Maria always called each other almost siblings.” Then, Janice turned to Maria, “They are working on a merit badge for community service. The only reward they can accept is stories about Roswell and aliens. Now, there is a condition. Jimmy’s father, Kyle’s son, Edward, doesn’t hold with alien stories, so you have to be careful about letting him know what you are doing.” Janice had explained the scouts and their works very well, she thought.

Mandy and Louise looked up at Maria. “Maybe sometime, you could sing for us. Our mothers, both have CDs that you made.”

Maria laughed. Fans were a group she would never turn away, no matter how young or how few. “I would be glad to sing for you and maybe, you can go through my CD collection and pick out a disk or two to take home to your mothers,” she joyously said.

Jimmy looked carefully at Maria. “You are my great aunt?” he asked. “May I call you Aunt Maria?”

Maria looked at him. There was so much Kyle in him. “Jimmy, you may call me Aunt Maria or even Aunt Ria if you are in a hurry,” She returned.

Jimmy was still frowning, “Is it true that you knew the Roswell aliens and do you have any stories to tell about them?” Jimmy asked Maria.

“Do I know any aliens?” she mused. Then, she turned to Michael who was checking his art supplies. “Hey, Spaceboy, can you please come over here for a minute.” Maria had her hands on Jimmy’s shoulders. “Michael, meet Kyle’s grandson.”

Michael extended his hand and at the touch, he frowned. There was more than a bit of an alien trace in this young man. Maria continued, “Jimmy, meet the bad boy of the four Roswell aliens.”

Michael frowned, “Jimmy, don’t always listen to your aunt. She gets confused sometimes. I was never the bad boy of any group. Your grandpa and I both fought each other and fought beside each other many times. You will have to bring him over for beers and old time stories sometime.”

Jimmy was just beaming and Janice and Maria were laughing so hard that they couldn’t say anything, especially Maria, in any defense. They borrowed some furniture dollies from the movers and soon, they had Michael’s stuff in a corner of the garage. The movers were carrying the household stuff into the house under Maria’s direction. “Ms. DeLuca, is that what you want us to call you?” Mandy asked.

“Honey, why don’t you just follow Jimmy and call me Aunt Ria or something like that,” Maria stated.

Mandy looked at Louise and they both nodded. “Aunt Ria, where do you want us to put these clothes?” Mandy asked.

“Honey, put them on the bed. Michael and I will separate and put them away later. You can put the dishes in the cabinets in any order and I will change them to what I like as I wash them.

At noon, Michael took off to get burgers and fries. When he returned, they all sat on the lawn talking.

Chapter 9

“Aunt Ria, do you have any stories about aliens?” Jimmy asked.

Maria looked at Michael. “Once there was an innocent little princess. All she wanted to do was to pass a terrible school assignment. The assignment was that she had to interview this wicked alien. He kidnapped her and stole her away,” Maria started.

“Hey kids don’t listen to Maria. I needed to borrow her car and I told her I would return it. She wouldn’t get out. I didn’t kidnap anyone. That damned assignment was just a crock of… you know what,” Michael stated defensively.

Maria gave him a smug look and continued. “This poor defenseless child could not leave her mother’s Jetta to any ruffian that happened by. He was driving her out of state. That would have been a federal offense if he had been caught. The princess and her mother always treated the Jetta with tenderness and kindness. The wicked alien drove the poor thing into the ground. A knight of the realm stopped the wicked alien for driving much faster than the poor Jetta could possibly go. The princess told the alien that he had to convince her that he had good reason to steal her car or she would scream for help as the knight approached the little car. He explained that his whole future depended on what he found at a place called Marathon, Texas. He was so sincere that the princess pleaded with the knight to let them go.”

Michael interrupted, “If I remember right she told the knight or rather state police officer, that she had drunk too much soda and needed to go to the bathroom badly. She was so pitiful that he let us go after he wrote out the ticket. Then, the damned Jetta just died.”

Maria looked pained. “The poor little car was not used to going so fast. It did get us to a place where we could get a room. And, such a room it was. The whole decoration was red velvet. It was a place to which the princess should never been taken,” Maria explained.

“Hey, it was better than my first idea,” Michael stated. “I was willing to sleep in the back seat of that stupid car.”

“Yeah, you should have seen him. Michael, in those days, was not so even tempered. He shoved the boxes that were in the back seat that set off some inflatable alien balloons. That was when he stormed out, dragging me into the motel from hell,” Maria said.

“I bought you supper,” Michael stated.

“Michael got chips and candy bars from a vending machine. He called that supper,” Maria returned.

“I helped you with that damned report, but you wouldn’t believe my answers,” Michael growled.

Maria laughed. “Yes, kids, you wouldn’t believe how smart Michael really was. He was flunking every subject, because he wouldn’t go to class. Michael had perfect memory. He was quoting James Joyce with page numbers. He once read it, so he remembered it. Michael just didn’t consider school important,” Maria explained.

“I told you, I did not expect to stay on earth that long. I was still hoping that I would be able to return to Antar,” Michael told them.

“Why didn’t you return to Antar?” Sammy asked. Miss Parker’s husband returned there”.

Michael’s face changed. He clearly showed anger. “Max was an idiot! All my life I was searching for something. I was smart enough to see that all of this was in Maria. That damned bitch, Tess, tried to take us all back there to be executed. I was the first one to walk out. Then after all the things that happened to us, those bastards have the balls to ask us to return to fight their wars. Max had it as good, if not better, than I had. He and Liz were together most of the time except when Tess was trying to break them up. For Pete’s sake, Max and Liz had gotten married. True, they didn’t have a proper marriage license, but they went through the vows and the ceremony. That is more than we ever did.” Michael could bite his tongue. It was true that he and Maria had never gotten married and whose fault was that. Neither of them ever knew why they hadn’t sealed the deal. Michael wasn’t going to look for any other woman. Neither was Maria interested in any other man. This was a point they were going to have to work out as soon as the kids and Janice had gone home.

Maria was a little bit gentler. “Yes, that was a mistake for Max. His own sister refused to follow him and all the years growing up, she always said her home was in Max, her brother. When the push to leave Earth came, Isabel chose her man, Jesse. She chose home and children rather than whatever royalty had in store for her. No one knows whatever happened to Max. Did he find another alien queen somewhere? Is he sitting on a throne somewhere, forgetting his bride and the rest of us?”

They were a little subdued as they finished the rest of the day putting things away. Maria could see why Janice had such fondness for the scouts. In some ways, the four scouts reminded Maria of the original Roswell group. It was obvious that there was something between Mandy and Jimmy, as it was also clear that Jimmy wasn’t yet that clear what it was. Sammy and Louise seemed to be just friends, but they spent a lot of time watching the dynamics between the other two scouts.

Maria was also amused at the hunger the scouts had for alien stories. She had been informed, by Janice, about Kyle’s son refusing to allow even the mention of aliens. Maria had a fondness for her brother-almost, but she never liked his wife, Pam, from the time they met in high school. Pam Troy always was trying to discover what she called secrets of Max Evans and his friends. Kyle was doing this, also, until he finally became part of the alien abyss. Maria imagined that Kyle’s son must take after his mother, Pam.

By the time they had moved all his art supplies, it was clear that Michael had become friends with Sammy and Jimmy. At one point, Maria started to enter the garage where she heard Michael talking.

“Yeah, guys, being alien made it hard to have a lot to do with girls. I could just imagine sitting with a girl some night and just when things would be getting interesting, start sparking in the dark. I also watched the other guys, like your grandfather, Jimmy. He had a different girl every month. Now, if I had done that and, believing that I was in love with every one of them, that would have made my secret rather wide spread. The FBI wouldn’t have to investigate, just buy a soda or two for the girls at school. You know how girls like to gossip,” Michael informed them.

“You got hooked up with Aunt Ria,” Jimmy stated.

“Yes, I did, but I didn’t tell her about me being alien. That was her friend, Liz Parker. For weeks, Maria was scared to death of me. That road trip, Maria told you about, was the first time I had ever been thrown together with any girl. The bickering just stirred my interest. Maria is almost the only girl I ever was with. There was that skin girl, Courtney. You stir your Aunt Ria up enough, she is sure to tell you her side of that. We all thought Courtney was just a girl who worked at the Crashdown with the rest of us. She flirted with me a lot and I guess, I returned the same. Maria and I thought there was something strange about her, so we spied on her. Guess what, guys, that bitch turned out to be another alien. She wasn’t the same as we were, she was what we called a skin,” Michael said.

Sammy interrupted, “Yes, Miss Parker said they had to wear human husks to contain their form. She said they were your enemies, but she didn’t say much else about them.”

“Well, there were many things that Liz Parker did not know. The skin, Courtney had the hots for me. It seemed that my clone donor was some sort of hero with her people, back on Antar. The four of us aliens with Courtney, Maria and Liz found ourselves at Copper Summit, Arizona. It was a dying town with most of the population being skins. We blew up their stash of husks except for the one I saved for Courtney. Didn’t do much good as later she was killed, because of that weasel Nicholas. We think most of the skins finally died except for Nicholas. I was never sure if it was possible to kill that little bastard.” Maria carefully returned to the house. Michael didn’t warm up to that many people. Maybe, he needed mentoring as much as did the two scouts.

When Liz Parker answered the phone she heard a voice she had almost forgotten. Even the almost 40 years didn’t disguise the bouncy excitement of Maria DeLuca. “Liz, we have returned to Roswell,” she exclaimed.

“Maria, it is so good to hear you again. When can you come over to see me?” was the first question Liz asked.

“This afternoon, if that is convenient,” replied Maria.

For the first time in many years, Liz was this excited about receiving a visitor. When Janice had first visited, she was just a friend of the scouts. Maria was like bringing back all of Liz’s younger life. Liz was wondering what Maria would be like after this long time. Liz knew that she had aged and Liz knew that her sadness at loosing Max was still with her. She could only wonder how the tempestuous relationship Maria had always had with Michael had affected her.

There were tears, hugs and endearments exchanged. Finally, they both settled down over a freshly brewed teapot and a plate of cookies that Liz had made for the scouts. “Liz, you never moved on. Max has been absent for so many years,” Maria stated.

“I know, Maria, but in my mind we are still married. Without a marriage license, I had to return to using the name of Parker for official things. There were the years of teaching. If you want, you might say that my students were the family that Max and I never had. Not a day goes by that I don’t think of him,” Liz explained.

“What do you think of those scouts?” Maria asked to change the subject.

“They have been a Godsend,” Liz replied. “They cleaned up my yard and helped me inside. Then, they have brought rays of sunshine back to me,” she continued.

“Don’t they remind you of us, so many years ago? Maria asked.

Liz laughed, “That Jimmy Valenti is so much Kyle. He inherited so much from his grandfather. I don’t see much of Pam Troy in him.”

“Yes, Janice says that Jimmy’s mother was a gem. Too bad he had to loose her when he was so young. His father is as stubborn and tight as Pam. Do you see the crush Mandy has on Jimmy?” Maria asked.

“Yes,” Liz answered. “Mandy came by one day to talk to me about it. Her parents still want to control the person she goes with. Does that remind you of anyone?” Liz inquired. The crush was obvious for everyone to see, except for Mr. Garcia. Liz was careful not to say anything more that Mandy had told her in confidence.

“Liz, if your father had known at that time that Max was an alien, you can be sure he would have sent you to that Vermont place immediately,” Maria mused.

“Yes, he would have,” Liz stated. “Mandy wanted advice. All I could tell her was that, eventually she would have to follow her heart.”

The rest of the afternoon was taken up by catching up on Maria’s music career, Liz’s teaching and what had happened in Roswell in the last 40 years. Both women had missed each other.

Maria’s next stop would be Kyle. She waited several days before confronting him. It wasn’t Kyle, but the ghost of his former wife, seen in his son, that disturbed Maria. When she called Kyle, it was the time of day when she hoped that Edward would be at work. Maria wanted to see Kyle very much. She didn’t want any unpleasant incidents. Michael went with her.

“Hey Maria,” was the greeting, when he came to the door.

“Hey, Kyle, brother almost,” Maria returned.

Michael was quiet as he shook hands with Kyle. This was Maria’s show. Michael had no opinion about Kyle’s wife. He did lean back and enjoy Maria and Kyle exchanging stories. None of the stories were like Michael remembered them. He had learned one important thing about humans. “Let them see history the way they want. It wasn’t their fault that they were not gifted with alien memory. The only time he corrected her was to tease her in front of scouts.”

One question Kyle asked, “What have your heard about Max?”

Michael answered this one. “Nothing, Kyle. I left town after he asked me to go with him. That Antar situation just did not feel right. We spent our whole lives trying to be human and to be asked to return to a people who didn’t give a damn about our welfare, was more than I could take. I thought Max had given up the throne. I guess being king is harder to quit than I thought.”

Kyle looked at Michael, “What about you? Weren’t you king for a time when Max had been killed, after he returned he took the kingship back by beating the crap out of you, didn’t he?” Kyle asked.

“Yes and the time I was king, I acted like an ass,” Michael replied. “I was resentful for a time, but I soon decided that I preferred being myself than being king.”

About this time, Edward walked in. Nobody had been paying attention to the time. “Kyle, what is all this alien talk. You know that I don’t allow alien stories to be mentioned in my house,” he said. Then, he turned to Maria and Michael, “Who are you people and why are you spreading stories about aliens? Every sensible person knows that they never existed. Look, our government assured us that it was just a weather balloon which was recovered at the crash site.”

Maria stood up. “Kyle, it is time we leave,” she said. Then turning to Edward she said, “Edward, you are so, so much like your mother.”

Michael extended his hand and when Edward took it by reflex, Michael refused to release him. Michael took his other hand and touched the dark brown leather couch. Radiating out from his hand the couch turned a bright red. With that Maria and Michael both left.

“Who were those people?” Edward demanded.

“I can’t tell you, son. You don’t allow me to talk about aliens in the house,” Kyle stubbornly replied.

After Edward stomped out of the room, Kyle looked up to see that Jimmy was standing in the far doorway. “You met Michael,” Jimmy stated. “He asked me to invite you over for beer and stories, someday,” Jimmy continued.

“Aliens, don’t take too much, to alcohol,” Kyle said. “It is a real invitation when one of them asks you over for beers.”

Edward did look into the living room several times later to check on the couch. Yes, it was still red. Edward was trying to talk himself into thinking that Michael had used hypnotism or something like that. That red couch was hideous.

JKR 1981-2001
JJR 1975-
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: I Heard You Calling teen CC pg4 ch 9 Dec 20, 2010

Post by ken_r »

keepsmiling7

mary mary: You will see that the relationship between Kyle and Edward is very complicated. It is almost as complicated as it was between Kyle and Edward's mother, Pam. Kyle will say many times that the only thing he and Edward disagree about is aliens. That is also all Kyle and Pam disagreed about.

begonia9508: Liz was a good daughter-in-law, even though she had no legal papers. She considered Mr. and Mrs. Evans as part of her family just like she did her own parents. It will be seen that Liz avoided Isabel because Isabel had a good love in Jesse. Michael also, had a strong love in Maria, that left Liz to question what hadn't she done to make her attachment to Max strong enough. Why would he be willing to leave?

Chapter 10

Mandy Garcia was a good student. Her father hoped she would attend law school somewhere. He felt that the country needed more Latino Lawyers. He didn’t have a son, but a Latina lawyer wouldn’t be bad. Mr. Garcia was a good Catholic and he raised his family to be very religious as well. It wasn’t his fault that they had only one child. He remembered when he took Sadie Sanchez as his wife. He had dreams of a big family surrounding him in his elder days with hordes of grandchildren. He, finally, consoled himself that it was an act of God, which gave him only one child.

Now he was reassessing his plans. He still leaned toward a lawyer as the future he wanted for Emanuella, his only child. He was also looking at politics. 2010 had two women running for governor of New Mexico. Women in politics were the coming thing. Almost every ethnic group had been represented in the White House except for Latinos. A Latina woman as president, now that would be something to make the Garcia house proud.

Mandy was a good girl, he hadn’t yet allowed her to date. She did that charity stuff with those scouts, which would look good on her resume. Mr. Garcia was dreaming, Emanuella Garcia for president. Wait, that wouldn’t assure any horde of grandchildren. Maybe Emanuella Garcia-… he knew that he needed a hyphen somewhere. Let’s see. There was the Ramirez family. They had a couple sons about her age, and one of the Ramirez boys of his generation become a powerful lawyer or something back east.

Mandy already was friends with that Sammy Gutierrez boy she worked with in the scouts. Would he do? It had been said that he was dating an Anglo girl from the other side of Roswell. Mr. Garcia had talked to Sammy’s father the other night when he was at his “Knights of Columbus” meeting. Floyd Gutierrez seemed happy with who his son was dating. He said that Sammy was intending to become a Civil engineer. Floyd had been a contractor and he thought that being a Civil Engineer would be ideal for Sammy. Now, Mr. Garcia didn’t consider himself prejudiced. He had always gotten along in the Anglo community. He, by hard work, had risen to the place where he was manager of a large grocery store. If he had had boys, he would have insisted every one of them start sacking in the store, as soon as they legally could. He believed that boys should know hard work before they start their vocation. It was just that, God had given him only one daughter.

It is just different with girls. Especially, when the one daughter is to carry on your heritage. Mr. Garcia had plans for Emanuella. He had no idea that she was forming a strong crush on Jimmy Valenti. He also didn’t know that Mandy wanted to attend medical school, someday. If he had, it would have taken some thinking. Doctors were an honorable profession. They just were not as celebrated as what he wanted for his daughter.

Jesse Ramirez was semi retired. Philip Evans had given him a lucrative law practice. In turn, Jesse had added partners. Now, he was considering turning it over to his older son, Philip, named for Isabel’s father. Once again the practice would be under the name of Philip, although the last name was now, Ramirez. Philip agreed that Jesse should stay in San Antonio, Texas for the time. Someday, he wanted to meet his Uncle Max, but he would wait until his brother, Alejandro, informed him that Max was in better health. Max had been removed from the hospital and was now living in an apartment beside his sister’s place. Jesse and Isabel hadn’t yet decided where they would eventually live. Isabel had been inclined toward Roswell where she grew up. Now, with Max to care for and his adamant refusal to see Liz Parker, Isabel didn’t know what her plans should be.

Max’s ability to speak English had improved to the point that he could converse with only occasional lapses back into Antarian. Max didn’t seem to want to move forward at all. One day, when Max was with Jesse, Isabel called Michael.

“Michael, Isabel here. I had a hard time tracing you. When did you return to Roswell?” she asked.

“A few months ago. Our daughter, Janice, moved back into the old DeLuca homestead. Maria wanted to return to be closer to her. Ever since Max left, my life has been only in Maria. Janice seems still unsettled. We thought, a couple times, that she was headed toward a marriage, but no dice. She is still a free spirit at the age when being a free spirit is just a word for loneliness,” Michael explained.

“Well, Michael, I hate to bring you the news, but your world is about to be turned upside again. Max returned,” Isabel stated, not knowing how Michael would take it. Max didn’t want her to call Michael. Isabel felt that she owed Michael something, as well as Max. Let Michael talk things over with Maria a while. Then, he could decide what he wanted to do.

“I suppose the stupid bastard arrived in a golden flying saucer, wearing a crown and with servants all around, to reacquaint himself with the peasants?” Michael asked angrily.

Isabel answered slowly and a little patronizingly, “No, Michael, Max was badly hurt. He has lost much of his power. He can no longer heal himself. He didn’t have a happy time with Antar. In fact, some of them wanted to execute him and those were not followers of Kivar either. Michael, Max isn’t the same person that left us. He returned to Earth to die. He didn’t want me to call you, but I think you deserve to know.”

“What about his relationship with Liz Parker? Does he intend to take up where he left off?” Michael asked.

“No, and that request, for the time being, I am going to honor. He hoped that Liz had moved on and built another life for herself. He doesn’t want her to know. I would talk this over with Maria and ask her to call me before she decides to tell Liz about anything,” Isabel said sadly.

“That is Max for you. He leaves and assumes that she will go on and act like he was never here. He assumes, for his own needs, that she will make another life for herself. Isabel, she has sat on her ass for almost 40 years waiting for Max to return. She says that she is married, at least in her eyes. She doesn’t care what the law says.” Michael was bitter thinking of the time Liz had spent waiting for Max. What the hell was he doing all this time? Don’t try to say that the war was this long. In 40 years, people would have even forgotten what they were fighting for. Damn Max, for what he did; he hurt Liz. What hurts Liz, hurts Maria and what hurts Maria, hurts me. Besides, I always had a soft spot for Liz, as the first human who had stood up for us.”

“Michael, every thing you say is true. Max still was raised as my brother and he was your best friend. I am not going to let his mistakes stop me from caring for him. Talk this over with Maria and let me know what you both think.” Isabel hung up. She was feeling very depressed. Everything that Michael had said about Max was true. As a king, he had been very selfish. Max wasn’t king any more. Max was just a poor broken soldier. Alejandro, her son, had told her that Max needed most to know that there were people who still cared about him.

Sammy’s girlfriend was named Alison West. Sammy, was tall for a Hispanic. With his flashing black eyes and curly black hair, he was a handsome young man. Sammy met Alison at a local science fair. Sammy had created a series of models showing different bridge supports. Alison was asking about the materials that Sammy would propose to use in these supports. At first Sammy, like any young man, started to flirt with the “new” girl. Their conversation escalated into a discussion about the use of different materials in the different designs. Alison intended to go to college and major in mechanical engineering, not in the celebrity engineering classes like electrical or chemical engineering. She wanted to study mechanical engineering because she also, wanted to build things. Her father had worked at the weapons and missiles program at White Sands. He was delighted when his daughter returned and told him that she had met a boy who liked building things ever as much as she did. Her father had seen her turn off many of her girl friends by her constant interest in mechanical things that they thought were only subjects for boys.

They both probably would be going to a state college. Neither parent was very wealthy and the state colleges had so much financial help, that many students considered nowhere else. When Mr. West finally met Mr. Gutierrez, they found they also had much in common. They had both been builders. Parents of a couple do not have to get along, but it didn’t hurt that there was no conflict between them. If Sammy and Alison could contain the heat of their debates over construction ideas, there would be nothing in their way of a relationship. When Sammy finally met Michael and Maria, he learned that couples could disagree and still have love. True, this took a lot of work.

Louise Anderson didn’t, at this time, have any steady boyfriend. She had dated some of the very boys she was critical about Jimmy and Sammy hanging out with. Maybe, she felt she was an expert in their character. Louise intended to become a teacher. When she was with Miss Parker, she listened very carefully to things Liz said about school.

The only thing about Miss Parker that bothered Louise was the fact that she considered her classes her family. Louise, at this point in life, wanted to have her own family. She wanted children and she wanted a vocation. She hoped teaching could give her both.

Louise knew the conflict that Mandy had with her family about dating. She and Mandy had talked about this many times. Louise’s parents had cautioned her to be careful about her romantic life, but they expressed no other rules than that she find someone to be happy with. She felt sorry for Mandy. Mandy had told her what Miss Parker said about following your heart. Louise fully indorsed that rule very strongly. Louise and Sammy were just very good friends. They had never thought of dating each other. Sammy had introduced Alison to Louise very early in their relationship. Alison seemed comfortable in her trust in Sammy. Louise had no intention in overstepping that line. The three of them were carefully watching the dynamics between Jimmy Valenti and Mandy Garcia. It was Louise who suggested that Sammy invite Alison to some of the projects the scouts had. She didn’t have to be a scout to want to help and maybe it would be nice if she met all of Sammy’s new friends. To Louise, Alison reminded her of Maria so much.

Chapter 11

“What is so damned important that you want to blast off to God knows where without me?” Maria shouted.

“It’s not that I don’t want you. It’s that I have to face something important that I don’t think you would want to be concerned about,” Michael replied. He knew that once Maria went off on a tear that he was going to have trouble.

“You can god-damned well tell me what it is and let me see if I want to be concerned about it! Where in the hell do you get off making decisions for me?” Maria fumed.

“Maria, its family business, not something you need to worry about,” Michael tried to explain.

“Family business, my ass! You haven’t got a family, Michael,” She screamed. Like in most episodes of emotional explosion, Maria regretted it the minute she said, “You haven’t got a family, Michael.” Maria regretted these words, which she knew hurt Michael to the quick. Michael was always depressed that he had no family. He had confessed to Maria one time that she was all he had.

Michael answered quietly, “Maria, it is alien business,”

“Then you need me even more,” Maria replied.

“Isabel called me,” Michael stated.

In as even a tone as she could muster, Maria asked, “What did she have to say?”

“Max is back,” Michael stated simply.

Janice was in the beginning phase of the roll reversal with her parents. They had returned to be close to her. She had taken over the old house where Maria grew up. They were much more willing to ask for her help than they had ever been before. Buying modern appliances was beyond Maria. Those machines, which talked to her were to be avoided at all costs. Maria was willing to take advantage of the modern advances, which improved her life, but when you have grown up with things, it is hard to see what is an advantage and what is just a bell and whistle. She was very willing to ask Janice to accompany her to Sears and argue with the salesman on her behalf. Like most children who lived apart from her parents, Janice was surprised at the frailty that her parents showed with age. This was seen in Maria more than in the alien person of Michael. Sometimes, Janice believed that Michael purposely allowed himself to age more than necessary. Michael didn’t want to be younger than his lover. It was with concern that Janice heard Maria say, “Janice, we are going to be out of town for some time.”

“Where are you going?” Janice asked.

Michael has some personal business,” Maria answered evasively.

“Mom is everything all right?” Janice asked. Her mind was in over drive, like a sorting machine gone mad. She saw the myriad of diseases that Maria could have. Then she saw the unknown alien physiology of her father.

Maria took both of Janice’s hands. “Child, it is nothing serious with us. If your father agrees, I will tell you all about it when we get back. It is something from the past, which we must attend to. It is alien and we hope nothing of it will ever affect you. Until we return, you just have to trust us,” Maria explained.

Their plane landed at the San Antonio International Airport. As the plane was in its glide path, Maria wondered, “What had happened to the ordinary old city airports? Albuquerque had the Albuquerque International Sunport, Washington had the Ronald Reagan National Airport and the John Foster Dulles National Airport, California even had a John Wayne Airport. True all these were abbreviated in the flight schedules. It just seemed to Maria that all these fancy names were pompous. New York had renamed their airport several times for current heroes. The current one now being John F Kennedy.

Maria and Michael were met, by Isabel, Jesse and another tall Hispanic man in an Air Force uniform. Maria’s critical eye saw the tall features and black curly hair of Jesse who now stood, his hair slightly graying, beside Isabel. On introductions, “Maria, Michael, let me present my son, Alejandro,” Jesse said.

“Make it Alex,” the younger man said. “Mom named me for a friend of yours who was very dear to her also.”

Michael embraced Isabel and as he did he whispered in her ear, “I have missed you, Izzy.” Michael then shook hands with Jesse and Alex. Alex had inherited his looks from his father, but he had more than a dash of alien blood from Isabel.

Jesse drove them to their hotel room and then, they went to the coffee shop attached to the hotel. This time in the afternoon, it was almost empty. Isabel chose a booth back in a dark corner. At first, she was angry that Michael had brought Maria along to what she considered an alien matter. Then, she remembered that Maria brought a lot of stability to Michael. Their personal wrangling forced some introspection onto Michael. He was a lot less prone to flying off the handle when Maria was near. Isabel needed introspection and a lot of it. Jesse had talked to her, but Jesse wasn’t part of their group growing up. He had a lot of emotion invested in Isabel, but she needed emotionless consideration for the next step concerning Max. Max had stated that he just came home to die. This wasn’t acceptable to Izzy. Her brother had screwed up big time in her eyes, going off to a war that didn’t concern them. He was her brother and many on Earth still had feelings for him.

“Max isn’t the same man who left Earth,” Isabel stated.

“I take it they didn’t honor him as their king,” Michael petulantly stated, not as a question.

“No, Michael, they wanted the Red Queen and they got Alice instead,” Isabel stated, referring to the Lewis Carroll novel, “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.”

“When Max described the execution of Kivar taking place right in front of him, he broke down. Max had intended to be magnanimous and pardon the despot, leaving him is some prison for the rest of his life. His generals took over and killed the man close enough so that Max was covered in Kivar’s blood,” Isabel told them.

“Why in the hell did he stay back there for 40 years?” Michael asked.

“After the war, they were either through with him or they were actively persecuting him for not being what they wanted. Who was that friend of his clone donor back there, Larek or something? He was the one who used to possess poor old Brody all the time,” Isabel asked.

“Yeah, something like that,” Michael answered.

“Well, it seems that Larek didn’t hold his failings against Max. It was Larek who arranged transport to Earth. It isn’t as if you can just buy a ticket to Earth. They had to wait until transport could be arranged on some ship traveling in this area. That took a lot of time,” Isabel explained.

Michael still wasn’t satisfied. “What do you want me to do?” he asked gruffly.

Maria spoke up. “Michael, he was your friend. If a man can’t find forgiveness from his friends, he is lost indeed,” She pleaded.

“What do you want me to say?” Michael said to Isabel.

Isabel just shook her head. Taking care of Max in the day and dream walking him at night to better understand what had happened to him was wearing on her. “I don’t know, Michael. Maybe, you should go back home. I had hoped there would be something you could say to make Max want to live,” she said.

Michael was still angry at Max. “Maybe, we should,” he growled. Michael stood up to leave when Maria restrained him.

“No, Michael, you are not going to do that. You would regret leaving Max for the rest of your life. You are going to march right in there and have a brain meld or whatever you guys call it. You are going to tell Max that he is still your friend and we are going to support him,” Maria demanded.

Now, Michael could be gruff. He could be petty and he could be angry, but there were three women in his life who he could not go against. They were in order, Maria who was closest to him, Isabel who he had grown up with and Liz Parker who was the first human to support the aliens. Some of his anger was channeled to the man who he thought had completely betrayed Liz Parker. The fact that Maria was ordering him to at least see what Max had endured. That Isabel was caring for Max turned him, finally, grudgingly he agreed to see Max.

It was morning when Alejandro knocked on their hotel door. Michael was dragging his feet and that made him mad at himself. Michael had agreed to, at least, give Max a chance and he would keep his word. He didn’t have to like it. When they arrived at Max’s apartment, Isabel and Jesse, living next door, were already sitting with Max having coffee.

When Michael saw Max, he was aghast. Michael always subconsciously thought that an Antarian would heal himself. Wait, didn’t Isabel say that Max’s healing ability was impaired. Still, the eye patch and the scared face caused him to hesitate. Maria didn’t let anything get in her way. She moved forward and embraced Max. She was crying as she thought of the injured boy, now man, she had known so long ago.

Michael wasn’t going to let Maria bare all the grief, so he moved forward and taking Max’s shoulders, he faced him and allowed his thoughts to flow between them. With the avenue opened up, Max showed Michael everything that had happened during those 40 years. When Michael stepped back, he was even more angry, but he was no longer angry at Max. “Those bastards, those god damned alien bastards! They abandoned us here, without any care. Then, they have the balls to want us to return to their crappy war. It is too bad that they didn’t annihilate each other,” Michael angrily said.

Max tried to show a tiny bit of humor. “Michael, they don’t have balls. Their gonads are internal in both sexes,” Max tried to get this out with a ghost of a smile.

Michael stood back, his hands still on Max’s shoulders. He stared at Max and, finally, he grabbed Max again, this time embracing him and laughing. “At least when they were designing us, they used the better design,” he exclaimed.

Max sighed, “They also, are well on the way to annihilating each other, anyway. They only understand power and power begets power until there is an explosion.”

As Isabel had hoped, Michael’s anger against Max dissolved once they were together.

Again, Isabel served another cup of coffee and they all sat around talking. The tension was lessening as they talked. “In the end, they didn’t want a better life, just a change of masters. The royals wanted back in power and the populous party wanted a socialistic state. The people, in general wanted as much as they could get, free. No one wanted to build a democracy or anything like that,” Max retold.

Max turned to Michael and Isabel. “Both of you told me I was selfish when I was under Tess’s spell to be the king. I think that is something of the alien genes. They don’t know how to be considerate of others,” Max stated.

Michael spoke up, “What are your plans?”

Max shook his head. “I don’t have any plans. I returned to Earth to die.”

“Max, don’t talk like that!” Isabel exclaimed. “You have many good years left and now that you are back among friends, you need to renew your life.”

Max shook his head sadly. “Among friends, I wonder. Michael, I am surprised that you even came. Who else do I know? No, Isabel, I think I have little to keep me going. Antarians are not meant to suffer what I did. I have lost most of my powers.”

Michael spoke up. “Max, you do not take in consideration my conscience, the little voice who is always by my shoulder, Maria. When I fail to see things like a human, she directs me. I now have learned to allow her to direct my life and emotions. She makes me a better person.”

“Yes, Michael, you have come to terms with your humanity by way of Maria. That is what hurts me the most. I had it all in Liz Parker. I could have stayed, like you did, and lived a long life with her. I let something of being the king go to my head. I didn’t see what was most important. Isabel,” Max said turning to his sister, “you said as a child that your life was in me. Then, you grew up. You found marriage, children and family was where your adult life was. I missed all of that. I was looking for the glory of fulfilling my destiny, even though Tess was no longer with us. The price, for the glory I never found, was very high.”

The talk was grim that morning. Alejandro learned a lot about his alien ancestry that day. Isabel mentally took a step backwards. She wasn’t sure, but she thought she saw a slight improvement in Max.

JKR 1981-2001
JJR 1975-
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: I Heard You Calling teen CC pg4 ch 11 Dec 27, 2010

Post by ken_r »

Keepsmiling 7

mary mary

XAF RU208

begonia9508

hapter 12

Liz Parker was not fairing well. For the past several weeks, she had been having strange dreams. Liz had always experienced dreams about Max. They were always sweetly romantic reminders of her youth. Recently she had been having nightmares about Max dying, Max wounded and Max as a cripple. She hadn’t said much, because she didn’t know where the dreams came from. Liz was sure the earlier dreams were just her mind going over what was the happiest time of her life. People had been trying to kill her and she had been running from constant danger, but she was with Max. Max had saved her life and Max protected her. Now, the dreams were about Max needing something. Max was gone. Liz had no way of ever seeing him again.

Janice had dropped by to see how Liz was getting along. The first thing Liz asked was, “Janice, where are Michael and Maria? I have tried to call them, but they are not at home. Have they moved again without telling me?” she asked.

“Michael had to take off and mom followed him. It was alien business, she said. Mom refused to tell me anything about it. She said that if dad allowed her, she would explain it all to me when they returned,” Janice stated.

“Alien business, that is what I need to talk to Maria about. You, of course, know about Max, don’t you?” Liz asked.

“Not too much. Mom tried to tell me a little about him, but she had to do it when dad wasn’t around. The mention of Max, always made dad mad. He always yelled, ‘Max the boy who would be king.’ That would set mom off and I usually quietly left as they argued about Max. I figured out that you were married to him. I figured out that he had some compulsion to return to that place Antar. The mention of Antar, itself, is enough to set dad off for hours.” Janice did not know a complete story about Max because of the anger felt by both her dad and mom.

“Janice, Max saved me and thus, had to reveal to me his alien side. Isabel always told Max that telling one human would allow all the humans to discover them. She was right. First, Maria found out. Then, it was Alex and finally, Sheriff Jim and his son Kyle. When we went on the road trip, I sent my parents my journal, which was a sort of diary. That informed both sets of parents what we were doing. I am not sure, my memory fails me sometimes, but I think Isabel had to tell their parents about aliens at the same time she told her husband. With Max, I learned about, both love and danger. For a small town girl, that was a lot.” There was a lot that Liz told Janice that afternoon. Janice being Maria’s daughter, Liz felt comfortable talking about her youth.

Liz told Janice about the dreams and as Janice got up to leave, Liz asked, “Could you please tell your mother to call me as soon as possible? I need to talk to someone about these dreams.”

That weekend, when the scouts arrived to help Liz with the yard work and house cleaning, Jimmy, for one, thought Miss Parker surely looked tired. When they broke for lunch, Liz had the punch and sandwiches, but she said, “Guys, I am sorry about the stories. I haven’t been feeling well and I I will probably go back to bed as soon as you leave.”

When Jimmy returned home, he told his father, “Miss Parker did not look well today. I wonder if she is getting sick or something?”

Ed was sympathetic to Jimmy’s feelings. “Jimmy, she is just over sixty and that is not old, look at Grandpa. She is his age. Sometimes though as you get older, you are more susceptible to diseases. I will try to drop by and see her. Maybe, I can suggest she see a doctor or something.”

Kyle was in the other room. After Jimmy left, he suggested, “Edward, why don’t you let me go see Liz. I haven’t seen her in ages, but maybe, she will talk to me easier as an old friend than you as a comparative stranger.”

Ed saw wisdom in that and agreed. It would be a couple of days before Kyle had a chance to drop by. He was a bit hesitant; he hadn’t kept up with his old friend as much as he should. Married to Pam estranged Kyle from many of his friends.

Liz answered the phone. “Liz, this is Kyle; Kyle Valenti, if you have forgotten,” the voice said.

“Kyle, I haven’t heard from you in ages. You sure have a grandson to be proud of,” Liz responded.

“Yeah, we know. Jimmy is so much like we all were years ago. He is creative, active and very caring. He is also very worried about his friend, you,” Kyle stated.

“Oh, I am sorry Kyle. I should have been more careful when the scouts are here. It’s just that I have been feeling pretty low recently,” Liz said.

“Do you think I could visit with you this afternoon?” Kyle asked.

“You know Kyle, there is something bothering me. I think I would enjoy talking to you a while,” Liz replied.

When Kyle arrived, Liz had iced tea in a pitcher and a plate of snacks sitting on the living room table. “Kyle, it has been too long since I have seen you,” was the first thing Liz said.

“Yes, I know. Pam was not too interested in continuing anything that happened before our marriage. I am not really complaining, mind you. I had a better marriage than dad did. Pam, at least, stayed with me over the years. She did give me a son. He is a bit of a stuffed shirt, but over all he is a good son. After Ava, Tess’s dup, took off, I thought I would never have anyone. When I got hooked up with Pam, she gave me companionship. Except for almost a fear of my past, Pam was a good wife. She helped me care for dad and she even helped me with Amy when Maria was still absent. Pam didn’t approve of Amy because she never married my dad. I tried and tried to get her to see that Amy made dad happy and what more did he need? As I said, the only thing I missed was her unwillingness to let me relieve a bit of my past. I missed all of you guys. I don’t even know where everyone is,” Kyle said as he told his story.

“Kyle, I have lost almost everyone also. You ought to meet Janice, Maria and Michael’s daughter. She brings everything back. She told me that Maria and Michael were somewhere in Kansas, for a while. Maria was writing music and Michael was painting and doing sculptures. They now have moved to Roswell. I saw Maria for a short time. She is out of town, now. The last I heard of Isabel, she was in Boston with Jesse. They have two children. I don’t even know if they are boys or girls. That brings us to Max. I haven’t heard a thing since he left. I don’t know if he was killed in their war or if as king, he took a queen and moved on. That is what is breaking me down,” Liz explained.

Kyle shook his head. “I did meet Janice Guerin. Maria and Michael also ran into my son, Edward. I moved on when Max came around. I thought he was the better man for you and I didn’t want to spoil that. I was as angry as Michael when Max left. I thought he was a fool. Haven’t we outgrown the need to fight wars for a glory which doesn’t exist?” Kyle asked.

“Kyle, he did what he thought he needed to. No one was more hurt when he left than I, but I tried to understand his obligations,” Liz stated.

“Yeah like his obligations to that blonde tramp, Tess,” Kyle growled.

“Kyle, she had been trained from birth that Max was to be hers. She saw me as the relation breaker. I can never condone what she did. She killed Alex, after all. That is why Isabel hated her so much. You said it once. She had no humanity. That is something you have to be taught. Nasedo wasn’t human, and that is all she had guiding her life. She did give the aliens a lot of information about their heritage,” Liz said.

“Yes, and she, also, tried to get them all executed. Maybe, you can separate what she did from her as a person. She was defective and there was no way she could be allowed to live. In the end, she realized this. That is why she killed herself,” Kyle mused.

“Kyle, recently I have been having dreams about Max,” Liz told him.

This was what Kyle had come to find out about. “What kind of dreams, Liz?” he asked.

“I have always had silly romantic dreams about our road trip, escaping hand-in-hand with Max and the many romantic times we had. Recently, the dreams have taken on a dark character. I see Max dying. I see him wounded and suffering without any help. I see Max silently calling me. Kyle, I am not sleeping. Every time I try to sleep, I see Max again. He isn’t the Max we knew. His face is scared and he is gravely wounded,” Liz realated.

“Liz, that shows something wrong. Max could always heal himself. You would never see him wounded. He didn’t even have any acne growing up. If I remember, there was never a scar on Max at all,” Kyle replied.

“I keep telling myself that, but the dreams still keep coming,” Liz replied sadly.

“Are we sure all the dups were killed?” Kyle asked.

“Reasonably sure, all but Tess’s dup, Ava,” Liz said.

“Reason I asked is that this seems more like a dream walk or mind warp. We know that Isabel wouldn’t do such a thing. So,… that leaves some other alien. That little freak, Nicholas, was he ever seen to be dead?” Kyle mused.

“Nicholas, now, that is a name I haven’t thought about in many years,” Liz said thoughtfully.

“Do you know if Nicholas could do such a thing? How much could he control someone like Ava? I only knew her a brief time. She never did explain why she left. I was hoping that we might have something together and then, she was gone. She was Tess’s duplicate. Maybe, she duplicated more than just her appearance. You know that Tess would do such a thing with no problem. She would enjoy you suffering over the fate of Max,” Kyle told Liz.

“I saw Tess walk into that base and the base exploded. I am sure she was killed. She was resigned to dying. Ava never gave me the same feelings that Tess did. I always like Ava very much. I can’t believe she would hurt me,” Liz stated.

Kyle sat thinking for several minutes. “Liz how hard would it be to get Isabel’s number? We know that Jesse has a office in Boston. I think she would be the one to talk to. After all, Izzy was the expert in dreams, controlling them and reading them.”

Liz and Kyle talked for sometime on things that had happened since he got married. Both of them avoided the topic of marriage. Liz was not sure that his life with Pam was a happy time and she did not feel free to bring this up. Kyle knew that Liz and Pam had never got along. Just before he left Kyle took a deep breath and asked, “Did you ever have any regrets that we never got together? You know, making love.”

This caught Liz totally by surprise. She stuttered for a moment, then looked down at her hands, which were now folded in her lap. Then, she answered, “Kyle, when we were going together, you looked on love and sex as a sport. Let’s face it, you and the guys were trying to make as many girls as possible. It was some sort of ritual or something. Kyle, I had never been with a boy. I wanted it to mean so much. Max had never been with a girl either. When he saved me, it wasn’t so much gratitude, rather, it was a sharing that he offered. That is what I wanted. I wanted to share, rather than just experience something. That is why it hurt so much when Max betrayed me with Tess. Yes, he hurt me very badly, but he still offered me a sharing that I had never felt with anyone else.”

Kyle laughed, what else could he do? Many times, he wondered what a life with Liz Parker would have been like. The reality was, as long as he was with his friends, he would never have thought of sharing or anything like that. They were all on the make to get a high score count. After his time in the alien abyss, Kyle was a changed person. There had been wet dreams about Tess. All the time she had lived at their house, Tess had been a tease. Later, Kyle decided her action wasn’t directed against him. Being a tease was in her character. Maybe, it had been somehow programmed into her to help seduce Max. Walking around in just her underwear was just something Tess did. On the road after graduation, Kyle and Isabel were the only two not paired up. Before, Kyle always had thoughts about Isabel, but even before she was married, she was always out of his league. When they were on the road, Kyle was the only shoulder, not already taken, but Kyle did have something about married women. His mother running off and the pain his father felt, made Kyle always swear that he would never contribute to those feelings in another man. Of course, in the sexual tension of the VW bus, Kyle couldn’t help getting a hard on when she fell asleep on his shoulder. After they all were able to return, there was Ava. Kyle, for a time, was sure he would have something with her. She stayed with the Evans family, but she and Kyle did have a few nights when his father was with Maria’s mother, Amy. Ava left without any word. That hurt Kyle a lot. He, finally, marked it off to the infidelity of aliens.

Then, Kyle hooked up with Pam. At first, Pam looked at him as a way to get into the secrets of the mysterious group. She saw his road trip as some romantic get away. Now, he had returned and she almost pounced on him. Kyle was under no illusion about Pam. She had been around several blocks several times in high school. Well, so had he. Pam was ready to settle down. So, was Kyle. She made him a good wife. Since he never was forthwith about the alien situation, Pam had only that one sore spot. She would not ever discuss either of their past histories. The rest of their lives was married bliss, as far as that goes for anyone. Their son did grow up a bit prudish and that led to the one disagreement Kyle had with his son. Edward knew that someway his mother felt hurt by Kyle’s past with aliens. He knew about his grandfather and the loss of his wife. Edward closed the book on aliens. As far as he was concerned, they no longer existed. Now cracks were developing in his resolve. Jimmy was a bright boy and he made up his own mind. Kyle was having friends who had strange powers. Who knew what would happen next.

JKR 1981-2001
JJR 1975-