Breathe In, Breathe Out (M/L, TEEN) 1/1

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

vegas312
Addicted Roswellian

Breathe In, Breathe Out (M/L, TEEN) 1/1

Post by vegas312 »

Title: Breathe In, Breathe Out
Author: vegas312
Disclaimer: I do not own Roswell as all I own is my imagination.
Rating: TEEN
Coupling: M/L
Summary: A missing moment from the Pilot.
AN: For katrie who placed a bid on me at the Support Stacie Spring Auction, and asked for a dreamer drabble. Many thanks to Ilyme4Ever and roswellianprincess16 for taking a look over this, as I'm always hestitant when it comes to writing Max and Liz. ;) Also the title came from the song "Breathe In, Breathe Out" by Mat Kearney, which is a really awesome song.

Breathe in. Breathe out.

No matter how many times, she tried to command her body into responding, she felt like she was going to shattered if she took those few steps. Why was it so hard to just turn around and call him back? There was so much she wanted to say besides thanks for saving my life and putting your own life at risk. For a girl who was praised for having high PSAT scores, she was lost for the words to express just what she wanted to say.

Brushing a strand of hair away, she leaned back against the fence where moments before he had stood and told her that they were too different to be more. Somehow despite knowing all the differences that exist between them, right now none of that seemed to matter after everything she saw earlier in their connection. A small smile graced her lips as she remembered how it felt to see herself in his eyes, and that for once someone finally saw her.

In his eyes, she was beautiful and everything that she wanted to be.

It was a concept that was unfamiliar to her. Oh sure, her mom and dad always told her that she was growing up to be a beautiful young lady, and even Kyle had called her hot. Everyone that knew her had her pegged into a box of whatever they wanted her to be, not who she wanted to be. She was the perfect daughter, the gracious friend, and the steady girlfriend, but she had always wondered whether there was more to life than the expectations that everyone else had for her.

Somehow, in those few moments when she had seen into his soul, she finally found out the real meaning of beautiful. Max Evans loved everything about her, from her eyes to her habit of flossing after every meal and snack. Maria, she was sure would say it was love because anyone who could love her despite her floss obsession was a prince in the making. Of course, Maria would be wondering why the hell she was just standing by a fence instead of calling Max back.

'Just go and tell him the truth. What's the worst that could happen?'

Moving away from the fence, she kept her eyes on his figure as he slipped through the crowd, and started taking those steps that up until then had been too difficult to take.

'One. Two. Just remember to breathe.'

Before she could close the distance, she stumbled as she slammed into the hard figure that stepped out in front of her. Catching her balance before she fell, she looked up only to find not the amber eyes she had been searching for but another familiar pair instead. Clutching her side, she dragged in a much needed breath as she looked away from the boy before her sadly as she remembered another reason why she couldn't go chasing what she wanted.

"You okay Liz?" Kyle reached over to help her, while wondering what she was chasing so fast that she didn't see him coming.

"I'm fine." She gave him a quick smile before pulling away with excuses about checking on Maria and Alex. Not waiting to see whether he wanted to come, she hurried away now knowing that everything wasn't okay anymore. Things had changed in just twenty four hours and somehow she knew that she had changed as well.

All she could do was breathe in, breathe out.