Unfinished Business (CC, Mature) Epilogue - 01/02/11

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Unfinished Business (CC, Mature) Epilogue - 01/02/11

Post by PML »

Okay, I am probably certifiable at this point. I'm in the middle of two decent sized stories, need to finish off another, and I post a fourth story. Sigh. Well hope everyone enjoys.

Unfinished Business prologue

Disclaimer- I do not own Roswell, and mean no infringement. It is owned by Jason Katims, Melinda Metz, UPN, WB, etc. Please note that the Prologue contains part of Cry Your Name.

Category- CC, FF

Rating- Mature.

Summary- The year is 2013. It has been ten long years since the Podsquad has fled Roswell just ahead of the Army. By mischance they have been mostly separated, each couple dealing with the hand life has dealt them. They have set aside their destiny, but what if it has not forgotten them?

Kyle-

Kyle sipped at his beer as he stared at the TV. He absently set his boots on the table in front of him. He frowned at the line the knife sheaf hidden in the top made.

He was slipping. He’d have to work on its placement.

The front door opened. “Kyle! Feet off the table! NOW!”

Kyle winced, “Sure thing Ava, no need to shout.” He moved his feet and placed them carefully on the floor. The knife was hidden now. Still, it shouldn’t have been noticeable at all.

“So what did you do now? Do I need to feed you or break out the blankets?”

“Its nothing like that. I just needed to get out.”

“Uh huh. So how long will it be before she lets you come home this time?”

“No seriously, its not like that.” Kyle used his powers to turn off the TV. “Ava we found an agent.”

“An agent? Here? In Las Vegas? How much does he know? Was he involved or….?”

“Isabel is with him now. I’m sorry if we’ve compromised your….”

Ava waved her hand, “Your family. All that I have left. I just hope you don’t have to go back into hiding.” Ava turned away and said softly, “I would miss you.”

“Yeah, well lets hope they’re still clueless.”

“I wish….”

“You know if they know about you they will come for you too. Your not really safe here. None of us are really safe anywhere.”

“I’m a big girl now Kyle. I can take care of myself. Its you two I worry about.”

Kyle got up, his mission of warning Ava done. “I’ll let you know what Izzie finds out.” He put on his leather jacket. It was hot out there. But Isabel had armored the jacket, and it was safer to wear it.

Besides the heat didn’t bother him anymore. Hadn’t really for over eight years.

Another gift from El Presidente, wherever he was. He lifted up his bottle in a silent toast to his missing friends before finishing the beer.

“Seriously, this life….. It’s not for you. For either of you. Surely there has to be a way you can settle down?”

“Isabel won’t stop until they are avenged, Ava. And where she goes, I go.”

“I know. I just don’t want to see you get hurt. Either of you.”

“Bye, Ava.” He gave her a big grin to her sad smile and walked to his bike.
--------

Isabel-

Isabel smiled at the Agent from the Special Unit that sat bound on her couch.

God she hated them.

“So, here is how this is going to go. Now if I had lots of time and patience, I could play a word association game. And I could ferret out everything I needed to know.” She turned away and walked over to the table where she had placed the documents she and Kyle had found in his room. She’d briefly gone over them, but questioning him would be much faster.

Hopefully he would just tell her what she needed to know. She’d still have to kill him. But at least she wouldn’t have to mind rape him first.

“Go to hell, alien scum.”

She turned and gave him a bright cheery smile. For some reason that intimidated them more than a more surly or threatening glare. Funny how the human mind could work. “You see, I don’t really have time or patience play games with you. So, either you tell me the truth, all of it and I won’t have to just rip it from your pathetically feeble mind?” She finished, voice all sweetness and light.

“Do your worst! We will find all of you and we will….” He stopped suddenly, unable to get any air in the throat she was constricting from across the room.

“You know,” Isabel’s voice got soft almost sultry, “you really shouldn’t encourage me.” She reduced her grip, allowing him a small amount of air. She grabbed a note book and walked over to the struggling agent.

And she mind raped him, using her powers to inscribe anything relevant on the notepad for Kyle to look over. Sometimes he could spot things she missed.

Fifteen minutes later she was vacuuming up the dust and debris from the agent’s disintegrated body.

Clean up had gotten so much easier over the years.

-------
Liz-

Liz seldom had the opportunity to take leisurely afternoon naps anymore. Her three little angels saw to that. But Max being the sweetheart he usually was, was watching the kids for her this afternoon.

Allowing her a few moments of blessed peace, to catch up on her sleep from the presentation she had made last week.

She was a rising star in the field of molecular biology…. In large part because of her hard work, but also because she could actually sense things down at the molecular level….

Max’s little gifts had never really left her.

She wished Maria was there with her. To enjoy the success that both she and Max had found.

It was hard though. The Army worked poor Michael so hard.

Guilt laced through Liz. She had it so easy compared to her friend. Max was safe now. He was still Max, still had his powers, still had his personality…. Although even there a few differences in nervous behavior cropped up from time to time.

Max’s cells were human. Whatever had happened when he had healed Clayton, remaking the evil man’s body into his own, it had changed his nature in some unspecified way. He could drink now. And he got sick.

That was how they found out. While they had still been on the run all those years ago, all of the humans had come down with a bad case of the flu. And so had Max. Michael and Isabel were naturally still immune, like they had been their entire lives.

It hadn’t been so bad with Max able to stave off of the worst of it with his powers. But convincing him he needed help too had taken a while.

Those tumultuous months on the road…. They had been terrifying and horrible in so many ways, and yet they contained so many fond memories.

Memories of the last time they had all been able to be together. Before Maria’s surprise pregnancy, and her capture by the Army. Michael’s deal. Isabel’s Crusade.

Some how Liz and Max had slipped off the radar. They had built the life they had wanted. And everything continued to improve.

Her pleasant reveries were broken by another remnant from Max’s healing her.

Maria was going to die.

-------
Maria-

Maria smiled and turned to her oldest daughter, Stephanie, “Alright, you know the drill. I’m probably going to be stuck at the office fairly late tonight.”

“Meetings?”

Maria nodded.

“Yeech. So feed the monsters and make sure they go to bed on time.”

“Stephanie, how many times have I told you not to call your brothers that?”

Her daughter flipped her dark blonde pony tail over her shoulder, “Mom, in case you haven’t noticed, they destroy everything. I mean seriously.”

“Be nice. Oh, and if you could have….”

“…. a salad ready for you when you get home. Sure thing, mom. Now go, and show those show those fools you work with the error of their ways.”

“And your homework, make sure it is done, okay sweetie.”

Stephanie just nodded her head.

Maria got in her car. Her kids were so good. And with their genetics it was a miracle. After all the long talks she’d had with her mother, she’d been expecting hellions. And maybe the boys were. Stephanie was certainly different that either Maria or Michael. If she remindered her of anyone it was Liz.

Maria closed her eyes and wished Liz were here. Or better yet, Michael.

‘Be safe Spaceboy’

How she wished the bond they shared could convey more than just a sense of presence. How she wished she could tell him how much she missed him, how much she loved him.

She opened her eyes and started up the car.

And it exploded.

--------
Michael-

The last place Michael wanted to be was out here in Afghanistan.

He wanted desperately to be back home, to be with Maria and the kids. And he did not doubt that most of the men had similar thoughts.

Family men, most of them. Responsible.

But they had a job to do. And they would do it, and do it well.

It was a pity they couldn’t just lob a few heavy bombs and just kill everyone in the cave. But for some reason the brass did not want to do that.

Still, there had to be a better way…. This operation was likely to get a lot of them killed….

He felt Maria die. Felt as the world became dark and empty. And he wanted to follow her, he did.

But he couldn’t. He could still feel his kids. They were still alive.

And they would need him.

He needed to get home. As in now.

Most of the unit he was in knew that Lieutenant Leduca was special. That he was lucky. Some even thought he might have some sort of psychic gift.

If they only knew.

They were about to learn just how special Michael really was.

For the men, the terrorists in that cave stood between him and his ability to go home. To be with his kids. To find out what had happened to his wife.

And avenge her if necessary.

But first to deal with the enemy……

And as Rath had done before on Antar, Michael became Death.
Last edited by PML on Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:44 am, edited 27 times in total.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Unfinished Business (CC, Mature) Prologue 06/30/09

Post by PML »

Um. Okay, Wow. Thanks for all of the positive reviews. Here is to hoping this part will not disappoint. Please if anyone has any questions or comments, please feel free to ask or pm me.

Timelord- Thank you.

Tequathisy- Thank you.

xmag- Plans? I always have plans. Rubs hands and cackles evilly.... (Sorry, long day at work.) Max is exactly like Liz and Kyle now. And yes Kyle can drink and no being changed doesn't change the taste buds. As for Isabel.... well she's been at this for a while. And the Agent's seriously overstepped themselves when they could not find the Podsquad.

chanks_girl- Thank you.

scorpio6- Thanks.

clueless- Thank you.

lilah- Well here is hoping I can keep it interesting. Thank you.

nibbles2- Thanks. Michael's deal comes up a bit in the next part. As to who killed Maria, well there are several options. And they will be examined in the next couple parts. And yes, there are certain characters the story suffers missing. Maria is one.

DeDe PR- Thanks.

mary mary- Thank you. I hope I can keep it interesting. There is a reason why Maria was killed. And the story will explore why.

Destinyc- I can't tell you if we will run into Maria again, but I will say her death was important. More than that would give away too much. As for Isabel/Kyle/Ava, well that is a fairly traditional plot point. You'll see what I mean in this part.

jake17- Thank you. I hope you enjoy this part.

begonia9508- Thanks

confusedfool- Thank you.

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended.

Unfinished Business part 1

Michael-

Michael used every trick he knew. And some he invented on the spot in his one man march of doom.

Except his men were following him.

And trying to help him even as he did the impossible. What they thought as he flung barricades around with the flick of a finger, or killed with a gesture he did not no.

Nor to be honest did he care.

He was done.

Done with hiding.

Maybe Isabel had had the right idea all along. Maybe he was a fool for aiding these humans.

Twelve years. It had bought him twelve years with Maria. During those precious times when he was home. Twelve years and three beautiful children.

No. They had kept most of their bargain. He was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt in regards to Maria.

Three enemies rushed around the corridor, their ubiquitous AK-47’s firing.

Hadn’t they learned yet? He was unstoppable.

The corridor glowed with eldritch energies and their bodies were disrupted, leaving only dust.

In retrospect that should have warned him.

Warned him that the past was coming to light.

But he was so full of power. It had been years since he had actually really used his power at maximum. Years since he had been in the lab.

Years in which he had grown stronger.

Isabel was right. There was a … rush to really exercising his gifts like this. Letting the anger flow.

Michael didn’t even realize that bits of the walls were melting under his assaults.

None of the enemy could hide from him. He could… sense their presence. And he was careful not to shoot his own men.

He was so into the groove…. Moving and killing every enemy he came across, that he totally missed the fact that some of his threats were blasting back at him.

Most of them harmlessly were deflected by his distortion screen, just as the bullets had been. (For the most part. He’d gotten hit a couple of times by spent bullets and ricochets. Thank goodness for modern body armor.)

But he was nearing what the brass considered the end of the cave, near the labs they thought were here.

The reason they couldn’t just blast the hell out of the cave.

It was there he was thrown back. By a familiar adolescent.

Nicholas.

What the hell was Nicholas doing in Afghanistan?

He backed up, shoring up his defenses.

Nicholas smiled. “So I see you still don’t have the balls to fight your own wars. Still working for the highest bidder. Some things never change. Your still the same stupid Rath you were all those years before on Antar.”

“Speaking of balls, are your masters ever going to let you have a body where you’d be able to use them?”

Nicholas launched an attack, which Michael met with his own. There had been a time when an ally had said Nicholas was more than a thousand times stronger than any of the Roswellian hybrids.

Maybe so. That had been years ago. Time to see if that balance had changed.

And so the air shimmered between two of the strongest Antar had ever had to offer, strength matched to strength.

-------
It might have gone on quite a while had not a quick witted sergeant intervened.

Both of the combatants were consumed with their need to fight and fight off their enemy.

So the Sergeant fired a grenade, not at Nicholas, but beside him. He had been watching how nothing heading straight at Michael had made it through. They had wrapped around him.

This strange adolescent boy seemed to have a similar power.

No need to take any chances.

His only worry was that it might shock his Lieutenant, break his concentration. But then, it would be closer to the boy…..

The explosive blast did break Michael’s concentration. Leaving him wide open to another attack.

It also broke Nicholas’s seal. He burst into a sea of flakes.

The Sergeant walked over and checked on Michael.

One of the other men walked past and checked on the room that Nicholas had been guarding, moving with caution. What he saw….

“Uh, Sarge, Lieutenant. I, I think you should see this…..

Rows upon rows of glass vessels holding bodies.

Holding husks.

-------
Liz-

Liz had to act fast. Her powers to see the future did not always give her much time.

She concentrated on her sense of Maria, to warn her. And she reached into herself… and she was there.

Liz had been to Maria’s house before. Never physically, but she would spend time with her friend from time to time.

Most people could not see her. Why that was the case, she wasn’t sure. She had visited her mother, and as far as Liz could tell she had never seen her.

Maria could. All of the old gang could. And Ava. So she kept in contact with her friends.

But there were limits. Harsh limits. This form could not affect the environment in anyway. She couldn’t feel, couldn’t talk.

How she could see and hear boggled her scientific mind. She’d actually spent nights trying to pin exactly how she could do what she did.

No luck yet.

So she saw Maria talking with Stephanie. And she waved her hands vigorously trying to get attention.

But Maria closed her eyes.

Stephanie caught sight of her and halted.

It was the first time one of Maria’s kids had seen her. But Maria had told Liz that she had talked about it to them.

Hopefully she’d taught them sign language, too. That was the only effective way for her to communicate.

She flashed a couple of quick signs to a startled Stephanie, warning her of her mother’s danger.

There was a slight pause before she signed back. And ran back towards the car. To save her mother.

Liz could hear Stephanie’s scream…. It like the explosion would haunt her dreams for years to come.

Liz felt as Maria died.

Another gift of Max’s.

She knew it was futile but she ran to try to save Stephanie. Who was so very close.

Nothing touched her. Her upraised hands shimmered with force, her face a picture of terror.

It was the first use of power that Liz was aware of in the next generation. Both Liz and Maria had kept and compared close notes with each other on their kids.

Until now she had thought them completely normal. Certainly their cells had looked normal….

Liz’s mind was whirling in a million directions. Slowly settling on implacable rage. She had felt this before.

Once.

When Alex had died.

Oh, when Max had died, she had felt crushed. Crushed totally flat. She had known that she’d have never recover from that. That part of her had died.

But she’d not been driven to avenge him.

Not like she had been with Alex.

Or like now.

She would storm Hell or overthrow Heaven if that was what it took to gain Justice.

But she was older now. More mature. She wouldn’t make the same mistakes she had made all those years ago. She still had duties and responsibilities.

And her children.

She knew as well that Max would support her as well.

She had been so sure that fate would leave them be. That the alien madness was over. Even Maria’s life had been mostly normal.

Maria’s children. What would happen to her children?

Michael was still off in some far off war torn spot.

She knew he would know what had happened. But the details…..

Stephanie still stood there hands raised for a few moments before she attacked the still burning car.

What Liz would have done to be able to actually BE there, to actually comfort her….

“Well hello there. You must be Liz Parker. Excuse me, Liz Evans. Or whatever it is you are calling yourself these days.”

It was a tall man, looking somewhat familiar.

And he could see her.

Stephanie was still trying to get her mother out of the car, heedless of the burns it was giving her.

Liz tried to sign her, to warn her of the man, but she wouldn’t look at Liz.

“Don’t worry, I will protect her. I will protect my niece and nephews until you get here. Bye Liz, say hi to the King.” He touched her image.

And Liz was back in her room.

------
Max-

Max was enjoying a quiet afternoon with his kids. Claudia had long ago given up on building Legos with him and Jimmy. She was on the couch reading.

The youngest was sleeping quietly on a rolled up blanket.

But it was Jimmy he was spending time with today. He watched the intent look Jimmy had as he placed each type of Lego in its specific place.

So like his mother.

Max closed his eyes for a moment. Sometimes life could be so hard.

He opened his eyes suddenly. Something was wrong. Very, very wrong.

He got up, “I’ll be right back champ.”

Jimmy only nodded, still sorting the pieces from the item they had disassembled.

Claudia was more perceptive. She looked up, “Daddy?”

“One moment.”

She bit her lip, looking so like Liz it hurt.

From the pain radiating from the bedroom he half expected to see the love of his life bleeding to death as she nearly had all those years before on the Crashdown floor.

Instead she was packing.

“Liz?”

She looked up at him, her mind obviously running at a million miles an hour. Her eyes were full of so much pain….

He walked over to her and held her.

She stiffened for a moment and then melted into his arms. But not with passion, but rather in need of comfort.

And he gave it, as much as she would allow him to. She was so tense.

He looked down at her soft hair. Even now, even when he knew that some horrible thing had either happened or would happen, he still could not get over the joy he felt at holding at her.

That sense of elation had not faded, even after all these years.

“Liz?”

She looked up at him. “Maria is dead.”

“What?””

Liz kissed him and broke away. And just like that she was packing again. Just taking the essentials. “We are leaving. Going to Maryland and picking up her kids. I will try to get a hold of Kyle or Isabel so that Isabel can work her magic and get in touch with Michael. You know how I can never find him…..”

Shock was still reverberating through him. Vibrant Maria was dead? He had not seen her in years, save through flashes from Liz….. But she had never lost that zest for life….

And now she was dead.

He looked at his wife. Read the signs.

Liz was on the warpath again.

“What about the kids?”

“We are taking them.”

“No I meant ours.”

“So did I. Something’s not right Max. Her car exploded. Someone planted that bomb.”

“Somehow I sense there is more.”

“Stephanie used power to protect herself from being hurt or killed from the explosion.”

“She was in the car?”

“No, look Max, I can give you a blow by blow on the way to the airport. But first you need to get the tickets. Screw the cost. First flight you can get for all of us. Rental cars for both of us.”

“Hotel?”

“Just to be safe, yes.”

There was so much he wanted to say. Things that he would say later, when her frenzy wore down. When she would need his support desperately.

But for now, she needed him to back her up.

Jimmy was putting up the Lego box into its storage space, the floor they had been playing clean of pieces.

He always wondered if Jimmy had inherited Liz’s precognition.

But that simply wasn’t possible.

And he made the necessary phone calls.

-------
Ava-

Ava shut the door and stared at the wall for a long time.

Was it some genetic curse? Some sort of karmic debt?

Was she like her sister forever doomed to love someone already taken?

No she wouldn’t force the issue. She wasn’t Tess.

The very name of her sister was bitter in her mouth. She’d had it all, had everything Ava would have killed for.

And wasted it. And more.

She had ruined her ‘friends’ lives too. Her actions forcing them to scurry around in the shadows.

She sighed softly. She wasn’t fit company for anyone tonight. She got into some comfortable clothes and canceled her plans. A few good movies, some pizza, and some Ben and Jerry’s should brighten her mood for tomorrow.

For tomorrow would always come.

And with it a glimmer of hope.

A glimmer of hope and a cup of despair.

-------
Kyle-

Kyle pulled into their apartment.

The truth was he did not like to watch Isabel interrogate their captives.

He worried about her. Worried what the hate might be turning her into.

What it might be turning himself into.

But he cared more for her. He had for years.

He loved her. He would follow her anywhere, do what ever she needed him to do…. But their actions would have consequences. He knew that, even if she would not admit to it.

They had strayed far from Justice. Revenge, yes, they would get their revenge.

But if by some miracle, they succeeded what would they do then?

Isabel did not love him. Not like he did her. Kyle was well aware of it.

He had never gotten one flash from her. Not one.

Mind you, the sex was amazing. And it was more than just the physical act. She did something to him. Something not normal.

Dharma knew that he used every trick he could think of to bring her pleasure.

It was like a taste of something wonderful, with the understanding that there was more. If she were only willing to share.

But she wasn’t. Not with him.

But he loved her anyway.

He walked into their apartment.

Isabel was going over the notes, a perplexed frown on her pretty face.

“So, what did you find out? Do we have to move?’

“No. Actually we don’t. They weren’t even looking for us.” She got up and handed him a note book. “This is what I got from him.”

He looked over the report. And he did not like what it spoke of. He looked up at Isabel, “Their back.”

“Huh?”

“The Skins. The Skins are back on Earth.”
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Unfinished Business (CC, Mature) Part 1 - 07/09/09

Post by PML »

Thanks again for all of the feedback. I hope you enjoy the next part.

tequathisy- Thank you.

destinyc- Thanks. Who is the stranger at Maria's house? Well that's a good question. It will be explored in the next few parts.

Losing someone dear to you is always hard. Being there and unable to help would be extremely hard. And poor Stephanie....

Ava just wants to live her own life. She actually had been living in Las Vegas for over seven years at the point this story takes place. She hates Tess, who had everything she wanted and threw it all away for a stupid dream... Much like the rest of her family.

Begonia9508- Thanks. Max died in season 3. He also completely overwrote Clayton Wheeler to the point of rewriting his DNA. So his body is still completely Max's.... But his cells read human and not alien.

scorpio6- Thanks. Stephanie is fairly tough. Once she feels safe she will completely break down. But as long as she is in crisis mode she will hold it together. Very mature for an eleven year old.

Timelord31- Thank you.

Unfinished Business part 2

Isabel-

Isabel sat down heavily on her cream colored couch.

She wanted to deny what Kyle had said. That whole period with the Skins…. That had been when her life had come totally off the wheels.

It had been the beginning of the end for her. When she had learned, finally learned who she had been.

Vilandra. Traitorous princess of Antar. A vicious bitch that had caused the death of all her loved ones and had overthrown the order she had been born into.

All for a man. Khivar.

The memories of that time, of that world, still were faint whispers. Only Tess had claimed to have known more.

The thought of Tess sent bursts of rage and despondency careening through her head.

Isabel closed her eyes.

Alex.

Even after all those years, she still remembered him. What could have been.

What should have been.

Those flashes she had seen, those dreams she had visited…. They should have told her, should have let her know how important he would have been to her. How important he should have been to her.

Kyle’s voice seemed faint in her little well of memory, “Uh, Isabel…..”

But her mind was on Alex. On memories of the past, of bitter regrets…..

She had run from them, had ruined the life of another upstanding man, one who had loved her.

All those she had brought herself to love died. Grant. Alex. Jesse.

Whispers of power swept from her, filling the room. Touching all the objects in her room. In the whole apartment she shared with Kyle.

A man she cared for. A man she liked. A man she would not let herself love.

She would not.

Because then he would die.

And she would be all alone.

To love her was to die. A part of her wanted to send Kyle away, to push him away as she had with Alex all those years ago.

But she couldn’t. She just could not face the world alone. Not when she knew how close to the edge she was.

When she knew what she was capable of.

Kyle was her conscience. Isabel knew the lines were blurring for her. That her thirst for revenge was corroding her humanity.

Humanity! What a joke….. Like most of mankind would not happily consign her to a cage to be poked and prodded until she died….

Isabel began to weep. To sob for what had been. For what could have been.

Memories.

And the power began to flow from her.

---------
Kyle

Kyle stared at Isabel, his heart breaking. Isabel was remembering her loved ones.

Alex. Or Jesse. Kyle wasn’t sure which she had loved more.

He thought it was Alex. But she never talked about it. And she had devoted her life to eliminate those who had killed her parents and husband.

And his father.

Kyle blinked his eyes, stopping the tears.

It would be too easy to slip into his own regrets. To let the pain overwhelm him.

Kyle shook his head.

Isabel. She had never been able to mind warp. Not like Tess could. But she could influence emotions.

If Kyle were to knock on their neighbors doors, and ask them what they were thinking about, he knew what he would find.

Grief. Regrets. Memories.

It would take everyone differently, based on their own life experiences. On their memories.

He glanced at the shelves. At all the small things Isabel had accumulated over their two year stay in Las Vegas.

They were beginning to dance. To move through the air.

They didn’t really have time for this. There were things they needed to discuss. Plans that needed to be made.

Particularly how much information to share with El Presidente and Soldier Boy. They needed to know. But Max was living a normal life with Liz and three kids. And Michael had his own strangely pleasant life with Maria and the Army.

Isabel was still mad at Michael over that. Still jealous of Max.

Hell he agreed with both sentiments.

And then there was Ava….

How much were they going to share with their family? With what remained of their family?

Instead he could barely suppress his growing excitement and arousal.

Kyle knew what was going to come next. The air would fill with their possessions. Would form a vortex around Isabel.

Nothing would hit him. Nothing would break. And when she was done everything would be exactly where it was supposed to be. Exactly as she wanted it.

Isabel was precise.

And she would need him. Isabel would need him.

He would hold her. And she would come alive in his arms. She would seek to drown her pain in the pleasures of the flesh. She would use him.

Not that he minded. Nope. Not one bit.

Kyle couldn’t help keep a half smile off of his face. Their relationship was pretty fucked up. But at the moment he didn’t care.

He just wished he could remove some of the pain from Isabel. Take it from her or remove it somehow. This wouldn’t really help, it would just bury it for her.

There had to be a way….

He walked over to her, the items whirling around her swerving to avoid him. And he held her.

The melancholy and bitterness radiating from her did not quite fade, but a new emotion began to dominate. Desire.

Kyle kissed her. She kissed him back like he was her savior.

After a few moments of kissing and roaming hands she pushed him back and looked at him. The air was filled with their possessions swirling about them. “It is you.” She kissed him again.

And they made love. Or had sex.

Whatever. Kyle didn’t really care at that moment.

------
Liz-

Liz stood there amidst the whirling items watching as her sister-in-law and her friend began their love making.

No way she could get their attention now.

Not that they would thank her if she could.

Wave after wave of passion swelled through her. Liz could feel her own distant body begin to respond.

She snapped back to her body. Could feel the ache and need.

Her mind ran through a list of things they needed to do. So much to do in such a little time. No real time for sex.

And then there were the kids. It wasn’t like they were alone at the moment…..

She left her bed room and walked over to Claudia’s room. “Claudia, are you ready? Have you packed everything you need?”

Claudia looked up at her, her head tilted as she took in her mother. “Yeah. Do you need me to help with the others?”

“No they are ready. I was wondering if you could take the others outside for a little. We are going to be cooped up in a plane for a while and….”

“You want to be alone with Dad.”

“I, uh, yeah.”

Claudia looked at her watch. “How long do you need me to keep them out there?”

“A half hour?”

“Right. It’s not like I didn’t see this coming. Just please be done, okay? Its bad enough that I know.” Claudia left to fetch her brother and sister and take them outside.

Claudia was such a good kid. Both Liz and Maria had been lucky with their kids. Stephanie for instance…

Liz felt her eyes grow teary at the memory of Maria.

Her best friend was dead. Her last link to her happy childhood. One of the last links to her life pre-alien chaos.

Max came in the room behind her. “Liz? Claudia said she was going to take the others outside for a little bit. That you told them to. Aren’t we a little pressed for time?”

Liz looked up at Max. At the brown eyes that sometimes seemed to flash golden.

And she kissed him.

Moments later, both gasping for breath. He raggedly asked, “How much time do we have?”

“I told her thirty, she’ll likely give us a bit more than that. But you are right, we are pressed for time. It’s just that….”

Max nodded. “Well, if we are on a time limit….” He picked her up and carried her to their room.

And they made the best use of their time.

-------
Michael-

Michael closed his eyes and tried to remain calm.

They had to debrief him. He knew that. They had to know what kind of threat their world was facing.

But he needed to get home to his kids.

They needed him.

Michael still didn’t cry. There had only been two people he had ever felt safe enough to show such weakness.

One was his estranged sister Isabel.

The other was dead.

Oh, Maria…..

-----
Stephanie

Stephanie would have liked to do nothing more than to break down and sob her heart out.

That was not an option.

Mom was dead. Dad was off in Afghanistan for how long she didn’t know.

She had to protect her brothers. From this man. Who was far from normal. He had carried her in, took her away from her mother’s body.

And healed her burns. She still had to look at her hands to check. No blisters. No cuts.

Plain untouched skin. That simply was not normal.

She knew a little bit about her family. That her father had gifts, similar to this strangers. That he worked to help the government make the world a safe place.

That he had enemies.

And this stranger had sent Liz away. Oh, she knew about Liz. She had seen her talking with her mother before. She’d spied on them, eager to learn the secrets that her parents kept from her.

For she was different. Her brothers were different. They couldn’t do anything yet, but then they were babies.

Stephanie was almost twelve. And she’d meant to talk with her mom about it. She really had meant to.

But she had never really felt comfortable about it. Maria had seemed happy that her daughter was normal. That the ‘Abyss’ would not consume their lives.

In truth she wanted to talk to her dad. She knew that he was like her. That he could do things. Make things move.

Make them explode.

Dad would understand.

But he was so far away, and, and the few times she could talk to him on the computer she knew others were listening. Even if her brothers or mother were out of the room. She just knew.

So she watched the man while her two brothers just held each other.

They had felt it too. Mom had always wondered how she could never sneak up on her kids.

It had taken years before Stephanie realized that not everyone could sense exactly where there parents were.

She closed her eyes and felt as her dad, who was so far away grew closer. Maybe he was coming home.

Until then she had to watch this stranger. Make sure he didn’t hurt her brothers.

“Who are you?”

“Um, well that’s an interesting question, now isn’t it? Call me Trevor. I’m your father’s brother, from his old home town so to speak. Surely he told you about me?”

Stephanie felt a bit of pressure, like something was trying to get into her head. She glared up at him. “Neither of my parents have any family left. Dad was an orphan. He didn’t have any brothers.”

Trevor looked at her. “My you are a precocious child. Look, the authorities will be here shortly. They will try to take you away. Your mother’s friend Liz is on the way. I think you father would much prefer you were in her care than any other.”

“What were you trying to do to me?”

“A harmless trick that would make you see my point of view. Make it so that when they question you, you will answer correctly.”

“Stay out of my head.”

“Sure thing. Just you really will be better if you just allow me to.”

Stephanie glared up at him. She reached into herself, into that part of her that let her move things and got ready to use it.

“Now don’t be hasty, my child. Very well. But you will have to lie. Of course, most of it is the truth.”

“I don’t trust you.”

“And that is a good thing. But you will still have to do what I say when I say it. It is for your own good.”

“You grown ups always say that….”

“Sometimes it is true. I don’t plan to stay long. I am sorry about your mother. I simply could not get here in time. But that bomb was meant not just for her.”

“What do you mean?”

“What do you normally do on nights like this?”

Stephanie didn’t say anything. Her mother would usually take them to a restaurant of some type. It was their special night. All of them would pile into the car and…..

“All of you would have been there. And your father would have gone insane. Possibly might even co-opted.”

Stephanie stared up at him, not quite understanding what was going on. But a tiny trace of fear trickled into her.

When she focused she could usually tell if someone was lying.

Trevor wasn’t. He wasn’t lying.

Whoever had killed their mom had meant to kill them, too.

“Why do you care?”

Trevor looked down at her fondly, “I really am your father’s brother. It is just our hometown is a bit further than you might think……”

-------
Ava

Ava hurried down the walkway to Kyle and Isabel’s apartment. She could still feel emotional residue all over the place.

Didn’t Isabel even bother blocking herself? Didn’t she care what it was probably doing to the neighbors?

Ava didn’t know what Isabel would make of this news. She knew that Kyle would take it badly. He had liked the melodramatic member of their family.

Isabel, well it was hard to say. Sometimes it seemed like she missed them, others that she thought they had stolen Max and Michael from her.

Liz had told her the plan, had even asked for her help.

Against her better judgment, Ava had agreed.

Oh, well, life had been getting boring anyway. And there was the very real possibility that she would be drawn in anyways. Might as well get involved at the start.

She stopped.

Something was wrong. She could feel it.

She reached inside of herself and scanned the surrounding area.

Skins.

Kyle and Isabel were not alone in their apartment.

She could still walk away….

Ava kicked down the door and fired several distortion blasts at the Skins, killing them instantly.

One blasted back. She killed it quickly with a focused burst. She rushed into the room, still alert for possible enemies. Both Kyle and Isabel seemed unconscious and bruised, they naked bodies sprawled across the couch.

A bruised Kyle said wanly, “Its about time. Didn’t they send you an invitation?”

“Only three? Kyle you are slipping.”

“I was a little busy. They timed it perfectly. Both of us deep in the afterglow. Both of our guards down.

Ava stalked into their bedrooms and tossed Kyle a robe. She placed another around Isabel. “Yeah, well I could feel the residue all over the place. Lord knows what kind of mood swings the poor local humans were having, let along the family pets.”

“Thanks, Ava.”

“Yeah, well you can thank me after I deliver my bombshell.”

Kyle stood up and surveyed the damage and the drifting flakes. Well you’ve already run into what I was going to tell you. The Skins are back.”

“Huh, never would have guessed. Good thing I kept practicing. Kyle, never count an enemy dead until his corpse is lying at your feet. Then expect his brother.”

Kyle grunted.

Ava hated this. She’d had enough death and chaos in her youth. She had gotten out of it. All the way out of it.

And now she was back in it again. Of course, this was a pretty open attack. The Skins must be pretty comfortable about possibly revealing themselves.

Kyle looked at her, like getting blasted across the room and beaten black and blue was an everyday occurrence. Of course knowing Kyle, it could be.

He said, “So what is your news.”

“Maria is dead.”

Kyle just nodded and walked over to hold Isabel. Isabel was still unconscious.

Ava watched as Kyle used the little healing powers he had to help his lover. The look on his face, the care and love as he gazed down on her….

When will it be my turn?

Ava walked over to help Kyle heal Isabel.

----
Max-

Max took the turn off to the parking garage at the airport. He looked over at Liz. Her eyes were still closed.

She was traveling, trying to get in touch with their friends.

How he wished they could just call each other on the phone like normal people. But it had seemed like such a risk. They had been so far off the radar to risk it. Even contact with Maria had been limited, lest the government get an idea that there was more to the Masons than normal.

Right now he didn’t care. He just wanted to get Michael’s kids and keep them safe. Hopefully Isabel would not raise a fuss and would be willing to help.

Liz opened her eyes, “I talked to Ava. She is willing to help. She is heading over to Kyle and Isabel’s to break the news. I’ll drop by later to talk with her.”

Max reached over and handed her a bottle of water when they reached a stop.

Liz looked at him gratefully and began to talk with the kids animatedly about their trip.

Even normally quiet Jimmy seemed excited. His large brown eyes and his wavy blonde hair. He looked so much like his sister it made his heart clench. “Can I have a window seat Daddy?”

“Sure thing sport. Just be good as we go through all the crowds okay?”

Max felt good hearing the normal chatter amongst his family.

He would protect them. He had already failed Maria….

He would not fail her children.

They parked the car and got out the luggage.

Liz suddenly froze, her face turning white. She gestured to Claudia, “Get back in the car. We’re not going.”

“Why?”

“Claudia, just grab Abby and get in the car. Jimmy get back here!”

“But I was going to get a window seat!”

Max looked over at his wife, “Liz?”

“Max, I don’t know how, but they’ve found us. We have to find a way to notify the authorities. That plane…. It is going to explode Max.”

“Can we go home? Do they know where we live?”

Liz nodded. Her face looked blank, reading possibilities. “We should be safe if we go right now. We need to activate the Plan though. We have maybe five or six hours and then…..”

Max closed his eyes. Their life as the Masons was over.

How had they found us?
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Unfinished Business (CC, Mature) Part 2 - 07/18/09

Post by PML »

Thanks to everyone following along this story. Sorry about the wait. This part is a little short, a transition and set up chapter. Hopefully you enjoy!

Timelord31- Thanks

keepsmiling7- Thanks. Our heroes are about to meet some old friends and old enemies. And a few who are a bit of both.

Nibbles2- Thanks. Trevors in an interesting spot at the moment, as we shall see in future parts.

Begonia9508- Well both M/L and M/M have had fairly normal lives. Somewhat constrained by their circumstances, but normal. It is Kyle and Isabel who have finally set down tenious roots. And hopefully they can regain them or better lives once all of this is over.

Roswelllostcause- Thanks

Empress_Luci- Thanks.

Unfinished Business part 3

Isabel-

Isabel drifted along in her dreams. Distantly she could feel Kyle and even Ava as they mended her wounds.

Stupid.

She should have been paying attention.

But she had been so close, so close…..

She absently checked her body from her dream state. It would be a little while before she would be able to wake up. Part of her just wanted to let go and sleep.

But to sleep truly would bring the dreams. And she when she let go she let go all of her control. She might forget she was dreaming…..

And he might come to her.

And they would dance.

Sometimes they would make love. He lacked Kyle’s rugged athleticism, but he made it up with his flexibility and a sweetness Kyle could never match.

To wake up and know that he was dead. That all her dreams of what could have been, of what she could have had she not been a frigid bitch when she was a teen…..

It was only when she just woke that she felt the spell end, felt as Alex slipped away once more. And she would be left with the ashes of her life.

All she had left was Revenge.

Isabel firmly crushed her emotions regarding Kyle. For her to love him would be a death sentence for him.

But there was one who she could love. For he was protected. Unknowing of his true nature.

Surely another visit wouldn’t hurt. He was one of the few she could visit without a picture.

There was a pause, a hesitation. Isabel smiled. He was only half asleep. She remembered when she and Max had been his age, when fighting sleep had seemed so important. When losing touch with her mom and dad, and the wonderful world, had seemed such a loss.

That need to be with them had been what had prompted her first dream walk.

And then little Jimmy Evans slipped fully asleep.

As always she was fascinated how detailed his dreams were. Was this how her dreams were? None of her siblings or friends had ever developed the ability to tell her.

Maybe someday her son would.

As always he was building something. This time a plane. And not the fighter planes he usually played with. Just an ordinary passenger plane.

He looked up at her, his deep brown eyes piercing her. “Hi Isabel. I was going to go on a plane today.”

How had she ever given him up?

“You were?”

Jimmy gave her a look. “Did you already forget? You know for a really smart lady you forget things so easily.”

Isabel shook her head. “I’m sorry. I don’t remember.”

“It was when I was outside. Claudia was playing with Abby and I let my mind wander. And we talked about airplanes! I want to be a pilot when I grow up. And maybe an astronaut!”

Isabel was a little worried. But not much. If there was any place Jimmy would be safe it was with Max and Liz. Between Liz’s precognition and Max’s shield and healing powers, he was so much safer with them than with her.

But it hurt. Seeing him hurt.

Not seeing would hurt so much more.

So she reached out and hugged him and listened to him babble about everything that had happened. She was listening, but not paying full attention. She would replay the whole scene many times, to drink in the tiny space and time in which she could hold her son.

Surely she could afford to love him? Surely with Max and Liz he would be safe.

And so she held him.

-------
Liz

Liz grabbed all the few essentials they would absolutely need.

Claudia was white lipped as she selected the few possessions she would be allowed to keep. She at least remembered this from before. Before they had been fully safe.

But neither Abby nor Jimmy had been born then.

It would be hard to leave this house. To leave all the memories, and friends they had made here.

But to stay would be to die.

So they would leave. They would flee again, looking for another haven.

And they would find one. She knew they would. The details were still foggy, but they would find a safe place.

But not all of the time lines had all of them making it.

There had to be a way. A way to protect all of their family.

Max was out making a couple of last minute arrangements, recovering some things that might come in handy on the run.

She took a moment from her frenzied pace to look in on her children. Abby was happy as always, running about, chasing shadows. Claudia stared at a picture of a boy in her hands.

Greg Casey. Her daughters first crush.

And a boy she would never see again.

Liz knew her daughter would share her own fate. That she would fall desperately in love with a boy still in her future. And there would never be another for her.

Liz could still remember the flash she’d had just a few weeks ago, dancing at her daughters wedding with her future son in law.

Liz still hadn’t told Max about it. He’d probably try to scare the poor boy off. It wouldn’t work.

She went to Jimmy’s room and found him sitting cross-legged on floor asleep. How he did it, Liz really didn’t know. If she didn’t know better she would say he’d inherited his father’s meditation techniques.

But heredity did not work like that.

No matter what Maria said.

Sorrow rushed back in. Sorrow and guilt.

They had to get those kids. Get them and protect them form Michael. It would be a risk, but they owed it to him.

He would do the same for them she was sure.

Liz went back to packing.

------
Michael-

Michael sighed and then repeated the story one more time.

Didn’t they have voice recorders for this? He really needed to get back to his kids……

A familiar smiling face rapped on the door. “Sorry to bother you, but I need to take Lieutenant Leduca for his tests….”

Dr Preston to the rescue.

“I think we are done here. Please forward the results of the tests. We need to be certain of what happened. Lieutenant, you may go with the good doctor. But if you recall anything else, anything at all….”

“Yes sir. I have held firmly to my portion of the deal.”

The general closed his eyes. “My condolences on your loss. We will send you home as soon as we have all the needed information. Your children are safe…..”

Michael nodded stiffly and followed Doctor Preston. The sooner these test were over the sooner he could go home.

Both of them walked the corridors of the Institute in silence.

Michael had fond memories here. And some not so fond ones, before he realized that he had gotten lucky. That the men he had trusted with his life and that of Maria, a trust extended only in extremis, would indeed keep their end of the bargain.

Playing hide and seek outside with Maria and Stephanie…. Both of his girls allowing themselves to be tested, to see how his differences were affecting them…..

Doctor Preston cleared his voice, “Michael, about Maria…..”

“Doc, please.”

“Right. You do know we will find out whoever was responsible.”

“So it wasn’t an accident.”

“They didn’t tell you? No my dear boy, a bomb had been set in the family car. How the snuck past the sensors we have monitoring your house, we don’t know…..”

“If it was the Skins, well they have powers just like me.”

“That is what we are afraid of. We will need your services as much as you can help us.”

“This is my country, my world. I will protect it. But my kids…..”

“Just give me a couple of hours. We need to make sure you’re okay, that the readings are normal. I’ll drive you there yourself. Besides, we not only have a large number of troops guarding your house right now, but they are with your brother.”

“Max has made it that quickly. I knew I could always trust him…..”

“Max? He said his name was Trevor.”

“Trevor? You know my origins. I’m an orphan. Even Max isn’t really my brother….. If my children are in danger….”

Doctor Preston took one deep look at Michael. “I’m going to grab a van from the motor pool.
We’ll do the tests on the way to your house.”

-------
??????

She opened her eyes. She was surrounded by a thick transparent fluid. She felt warm and safe.

She could see so much but it didn’t make any sense to her. Her eyes wouldn’t focus.

She had vague impressions of pain and fire. Of losing something precious, something she wasn’t yet strong enough to regain.

But she knew he would remain true to her. And that she would have it back. She would have them all back.

Who he was she didn’t know. And while it mattered, who he was, who they were, it was too much for her.

She was so tired.

And so she slept.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Unfinished Business (CC, Mature) Part 3 - 08/01/09

Post by PML »

Thanks again to everyone following along this story.

Empress Luci- Yep, it was Maria. You will see more of her in the last portion of this part as well. Let's just say that Jimmy's birth was complicated. It will be discussed over the next few parts. And there will be reprecussions. Only Isabel, Max, and Liz know. At the moment. Kyle is the father.

keepsmiling7- Thanks.

Timelord31- Thanks. Maria is indeed alive. The wheres and the hows will be discussed in future parts. Not to mention the whys.

Begonia9508- There are multiple plans being unfurled here, by many parties. Some of them for our heroes and some (most) against. But one thing is certain. Maria is alive.

Nibbles2- Thanks. I hope you continue to enjoy.

Roswelllostcause- Thanks. Hope you enjoy

Tequathisy- Yep, it is Maria. The hows will be in other parts. Thanks.

Unfinished Business part 4

Stephanie-

Stephanie could feel her father getting ever closer.

Soon. He would be home soon.

Tears that she’d held back for so long threatened to burst loose. Her need for her father to hold her and tell her it would be okay. To comfort her.

As she’d comforted her little brothers. Even now they sat enraptured watching cartoons on the TV. They were still broken up over their mothers death.

As was she.

But she’d been able to calm them, to sooth them to the point that they no longer were huddled up waiting for their dad.

Surprisingly Trevor had helped, telling frightfully outlandish stories of their father. And while it made her nervous to watch him use his powers on them, he had calmed the two down.

Two days without parental supervision. Just Trevor and a bunch of soldiers sent to protect them.

Where were they to protect them before Mom got killed?

Stephanie had placed several backpacks near the central hall. One for each of her family members.

Dad already had his, he took his emergency backpack with him whenever he left for some far off place.

It was part of Dad’s and Mom’s plans in case something ever went wrong. Each backpack had essentials and small keepsakes if they needed to move fast.

Stephanie wasn’t sure, but she had a feeling that they would need to move fast when Dad got home. Stephanie had carefully included Mom’s.

She would carry it herself if need be. But she wanted, no needed some tangible memory of her. And so many copies of her favorite pictures were stored in her mother’s emergency netbook.

She walked over and pulled it out and took it to the table. She turned it on and pulled up some of the photos. It made her smile at the same time her heart hurt.

They all had had so many happy times.

Trevor breezed in and sat at the table with her.

She still didn’t understand him. Or why he cared. But he did. He had helped her so much, both with the police and taking care of her brothers.

Trevor watched her for a few moments. “So Michael should be here in about an hour or so. I’ll probably leave right before he gets here. Don’t want to break into such an emotional homecoming.”

“Don’t you want to meet Dad?”

“Yes. No. I, well it’s really complicated.”

“Why?”

He looked at her intently for a few moments. And sighed. “Let’s just say that the group I work for and the group Michael works for are not friends. And I’ve been missing from where I was supposed to be for a few days.”

“So you’re in trouble?”

“Yeah, most likely. I, I just couldn’t standby and…..” Trevor shook his head.

“So. You knew what was going to happen.”

Trevor was silent and looked away.

“You did! You knew and did NOTHING!”

One of the light bulbs above near her flared into brilliance and burst. Several others were flickering.

“I. I, I argued about it. I told them why we should intervene. Why we couldn’t just let you all be slaughtered….. But they just , just wouldn’t, couldn’t understand. Said I was being overly emotional because of my ties to your father. That it was, was part of the plan. That sometimes sacrifices have to be made….”

Stephanie’s hands were shaking with barely controlled rage. Several more lights flared into brilliance before exploding. “I thought we could trust you, that you were going to help us. And now I find you’re one of them. You are one of the group that killed my mom, that wanted to kill all of us.”

Trevor’s face was enigmatic as he stared at her. “No. No I would never do that. I was part of a different group. One that planned to profit on it. And they tried to keep it from me as long as they could. Because they knew, knew what I would do.”

“Well you weren’t fast enough!”

Trevor’s mask slipped to one of pain and regret, “Don’t you think I know that? That I don’t wish I could have been a few minutes quicker? I’ve watched all of you for years. I’ve actually met your father. I worked with your mom. I knew her, and I know him. I know exactly how this would effect him….”

“And you let it happen anyway!”

“I tried! I tried so hard to stop it. I just couldn’t get here fast enough.” Tears were streaming down his face. “Don’t you know that I failed! That I thought I might have lost you too! You were so close, so very close to the explosion, Stephanie. You nearly died. Without your heritage you would have.”

“Is that it? You let mom die because she was human?” Out of the corner of her eyes she could see Jack and Daniel staring at them with wide eyes. Stephanie had learned about her heritage from her dad a couple of years back when she saw him moving something. She didn’t know how much her brothers knew.

It was kind of like hiding the non-existence of Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. You weren’t supposed to tell the younger kids, to let them enjoy the illusion as long as they could.

They would have questions for her later, no doubt. And she wasn’t sure she’d be able to lie to them. Not now.

Another light bulb popped.

Stephanie shook herself. I need to calm down. Pans were beginning to rattle around the kitchen and dishes clinking together.

But she was so angry! Why hadn’t she seen it. How else would he know to be there right then.

Only….. He had helped them. Had healed her burns. Had not tried to take advantage of them or whisk them off to parts unknown.

Trevor’s face was filling with horror. “My God, I have been set up.”

Stephanie would have asked what he meant by that if the door bell hadn’t rang.

She closed her eyes and took control of herself. It was bad enough her brothers had seen. If the troopers dad’s boss’s had sent saw…..

She walked over to the door and opened it.

One of the soldiers that was watching the house tilted his helmet at her. They had been strange guests around her house. Careful to not bother them, but at the same time guarding the house like it contained national secrets.

Which it did. Some of which Stephanie herself was unaware of. Namely that she herself was one of them.

Stephanie looked up at the soldier, “Yes.”

“Pardon me, ma’am. There has been a change of plans. Your father told me to gather you and the others. He is waiting for you.” The soldier pointed to a Hummer.

She saw her father’s form smiling at her.

And felt a wash of cold run down her spine.

The man was not her father. He was an imposter.

And he meant her harm. How she knew she wasn’t sure. But she was certain, deadly certain.

But the soldiers couldn’t see it. How could they. He looked just like him.

Suddenly some of Trevor’s outlandish tales didn’t seem so strange. A shape shifter. A canny one, too. It would let the soldiers deliver them to it.

A plan of action came to her.

Risky, but it might be their only hope.

“Hold on, I’ll get the others.”

“Sure thing.”

Stephanie purposefully walked back into the kitchen grabbing her backpack and her mom’s. “Daniel, Jack, grab your packs. We have to run.”

Trevor looked up at her, still seated at the table. “Something is wrong.”

“Looks like your friends have come to finish us off.”

“They are not my friends. Not if it means your harm. You are family.”

Stephanie looked at him and nodded. If he’d wanted to hurt them he could have done so at any time.

Daniel was helping Jack to put on his backpack, looking up to his older sister. “What do we need to do sis?”

Stephanie felt a warm sensation at her brother’s complete trust. She wouldn’t fail them. “We need to hide somewhere they won’t find us.”

-------
Liz

Liz was trying to get Abby to eat in the restaurant they had stopped at. They were close, so very close to their target.

Except there was a problem. It was crawling with soldiers.

How were they supposed to get in there to protect Michael’s kids if they got shot attempting it?

The visions of what might happen were very muddled. Almost anything might happen.

She’d never come across a situation that her precognition was so confused. There were times when it didn’t work, when she wanted to know and she didn’t. But never when all she saw was maybe.

To many possibilities. To many chances for everything to go wrong. And no time to really analyze what she saw.

“Abby eat your pancakes are not toys. You need to eat them.”

She didn’t notice the pair walk into the restaurant. But she did hear them. And their familiar voices.

“They can’t have gone far.” said a male voice.

“Yeah, well when I get my hands on that damn turncoat….” said a slightly New York accented female voice.

Voices she hadn’t heard in years. Voices of her friends. And her enemies.

She looked up to see Lonnie taking a seat a couple of tables down, and Rath walking off to the bathrooms.

They hadn’t seen her yet.

But she didn’t need her gifts to know that they would.

---------
Max-

Max stared at his reflection in the mirror and pondered his next action. It had seemed easy and necessary to uproot his whole family to protect the remains of Michael’s.

Particularly after the incident with the plane. Even with their warning there had been thirty-seven dead. And countless wounded.

Their enemies had wanted them dead.

He heard the door open and another man walk into the restroom.

“Oh shit!” The man said, his voice sounding very familiar.

Max looked over and saw Michael, dressed in his uniform.

Only it wasn’t really Michael.

Rath raise his hand and blasted at Max.

A blast Max was only able to partly blunt with his shield. He flew hard into the wall

Max’s heart began to hammer. He wasn’t the only one in the restroom. Little Jimmy was here too. In one of the stalls.

Max had to eliminate Rath. He had never really done it before. Not even in conflict. But he would have to kill him.

It was the only way.

Rath’s face curled into a snarl of contempt. “So Maxie-boy, it is so glad of you to hand deliver yourself like this. Now we don’t need to go looking for you. Your wife outside?” He threw another blast

Max easily blocked it with his shield. There had to be a way. He dropped the shield for a moment to toss a blast back at Rath.

Only to have it miss him.

Distortion field. Michael could do that. Had told Liz all about his new tricks, for him to tell Max about them. To let his friend and leader in on what was going on with him.

It would make Rath hard to hit, but would not provide much protection beyond it.

Rath continued to taunt Max. Blasting from time to time at his shield, moving in for the kill. “Looks like you’ve broken little Lizzie in. She might even be ready for me now. Trust me when I am done with her, she won’t even remember you.”

Max kept quiet and watched as Rath moved closer. Max had an idea. But first to get Rath too mad to think…..

Max waved at the mirrors and the glass in them exploded showering Rath with broken glass.

The distortion field didn’t protect the flanks or rear very well. Just the front.

“Your going to pay for that!” And Rath rushed him.

Max let his shield drop, to attack Rath in hand to hand with his powers.

Rath planned the same thing.

Max felt as his temperature soared, as he began to cook. But before his world went black he laid his counterstroke on Rath.

Max completely disrupted Rath, making his body entirely unable to support life. Even the bacterium in his gut died. Rath dropped like a stone, his body slowly disintegrating under the power that still filled it no longer being controlled.

Max tried to smile. He had beaten him. It had worked.

But he was dying. He opened his eyes and saw Jimmy cradling his head in his small arms. His blond hair reminding him strongly of Isabel. “Tell Mommy that I am sorry. That I love her. And you.”

Jimmy just looked enigmatic as always, his young eyes seeming so much older. “Goodbye daddy.”

And Max Evans died.

Again.

--------
Ava

Leaving Las Vegas had taken much longer than Ava had expected. They’d had to wait for Isabel to recover for one thing.

And Ava had to arrange for her business to keep running without her. Hopefully there would be something left when she came back.

If she came back. She wasn’t kidding herself that she was immortal. As far as she knew she was the last of her Podmates to still be alive. The last time she’d heard anything from either Rath or Lonnie had been way back in 2005.

Then they’d seemingly dropped off the planet.

No big loss. She had made her own life. Far from her psychopathic brother and sister. If she never saw them again her life would be a happy one.

She shook her head and paid attention to the road. Both Kyle and Isabel were rolling ahead of her on their motorcycles. They had wanted her to do the same. And she did have a bike too, had even gone on the occasional road trip with them.

No, she was taking her baby. A fully equipped BMW sports sedan. A much more comfortable ride. Plus it had a trunk and could carry much more in the way of stuff than their bikes.

Still Las Vegas to Washington was a long drive to say the least. But a day and a half later they were finally getting close.

Maybe that sense of accomplishment had dulled all of their reflexes. For in front of them was a roadblock. With lots of police officers.

She didn’t think all that much about it until they started shooting at Kyle and Isabel.

An ambush.

Kyle went down in the hail of gunfire. But he wasn’t dead from the occasional blast coming from where his bike lay. She rushed over to help him.

She more felt than saw Isabel’s reaction to her lover’s wound. The cars comprising the road block exploded. All of them. At the exact same time.

Ava rushed over to help Kyle, who had lost a lot of blood. He was only partly conscious by the time she got to him.

In the background she could hear more gunshots and increasingly frightened shouts as Isabel hunted down the agents one by one.

Ava used her somewhat limited healing talents to stabilize his wounds. He would need some serious healing.

Fast.

There was another explosion as Isabel took out a couple of helicopters….

They needed to get Kyle to a hospital. Or Max.

Yeah, Max could make this all go away.

“I’ll be right back, Kyle.” Ava began to chase down Isabel. Who was questioning a man in a suit.

A very frightened man.

“Isabel we need to go.”

“Kyle?” A mixture of hope and pain in her voice.

“He’s alive, but he’ll need medical attention real soon now.”

“Max. We need Max.” She focused her attention back on the man she was interrogating. “Just as well I’m done then.” She touched him.

For a moment there was nothing, the man seemed to calm down. And then a look of horror and pain flashed across his face.

Ava was sure she saw his bones glowing purple through his body before his remains fell like dust to the ground.

She looked up at Isabel. There were times the woman frightened her. If Kyle had died….

Or worse if Isabel ever suspected the torch she carried for Kyle…..

“If you’ll help me get Kyle in my car?”

Isabel nodded, stopping from time to time to tidy up.

Part of what made her so scary is she never left bodies. She even cleared the wreckage from the road way.

Yeah. Isabel scared her in a way Lonnie never had.

Thankfully she was a good friend.

Isabel was one of the few people left in the world that she trusted implicitly.

But still, the amount of power she could casually toss around was frightening.

“Let’s go.”

And after placing Kyle in the car, they left.

Their enemies wisely did not return.

-------
Michael-

Michael stared at the remains of the home he had made with his wife. He could already sense that the kids had made clear of the structure.

They were still alive. And hopefully safe.

“Any idea what might have happened?”

Dr. Preston sighed and looked at the devastation. “I’m sorry. There was supposed to be a guard. They’re all dead.” He looked at Michael, “Blast wounds. Could your friends have done this?”

“Not Max’s style.”

“What about Isabel?”

Michael moved about a little uncomfortable. Who would have thought that Isabel, Ice Princess of West Roswell High would become a cold blooded killer?

But she had a focus and a goal.

“Where they FBI?”

“No, MP’s.”

“She wouldn’t have killed them. She’s all about revenge for her husband and parents. She doesn’t kill for fun.”

“That is what I was afraid of. You’re not alone then. Others, like those ‘husks’ you found in Afghanistan.” He was silent for a moment. “Would either of your friends be willing to cut a deal like you did? Protection and amnesty in exchange for help against this threat?”

Michael was silent. “I don’t know.” Michael got out of the van and moved across his lawn.

He knew where his kids had gone. Where they had hidden.

“Where are you going?”

“To get my kids.”

“I’m coming with you.”

“Sure, just stay behind me. I don’t know if the skins left any surprises.”

Which they had. A couple of floating mines. Similar to the ones he had protected Liz and Maria from all those years ago in Las Cruces.

A crude attempt compared to some of the traps the Taliban had tried. All they did after he flung them away was ruin a tiny bit more of the neighborhood.

He walked past the house and into the woods behind it. It was just a little park. A little park with a bit of an old surprise.

A bomb shelter. From the fifties or sixties by Michael’s guess. And well hidden. The camouflaged door had been closed and locked when Stephanie had found it all those years ago.

Michael could still remember the thrill and fun of exploring it with Maria.

Their secret hiding spot if things went bad.

He was almost there when he felt the impact of a Stephanie sized projectile hit him. She was sobbing so hard in his arms. So broken.

He rubbed her back and tried to comfort his daughter. “I’m here, I’ll protect you.”

She kissed him and pulled his arm, “Come on the boys need you too.”

Thus began the long process of healing. Both for himself and for his kids.

And as he held them, Michael began to feel a tiny bit of hope return. The hole that Maria’s death had made didn’t seem quite so large with his children surrounding him.

In fact if he closed his eyes, he could almost pretend that he and the children were hiding from her. That she was trying to call them in for dinner and they would ambush her. Tickling her as a group to make her surrender.

For a moment he felt almost normal.

Almost.

His soul cried for his lost love.

------
Maria-

Maria woke up suddenly, Michael’s name on her lips.

But no sound came out. Her lungs held no air, just the thick viscous liquid she resided in. She flailed around in panic, desperate to get out.

Desperate to breathe.

But moving was so hard. So very hard. The liquid resisted every moment. And a thick cable made it hard for her legs to move.

She struggled vainly for a few minutes in panic, struggling to breathe, struggling to live.

She felt herself weaken, her vision beginning to dim.

NO! She would NOT accept failure. There had to be a way…. Somehow…..

She reached deep into herself, into a part of herself that had always been there, but that she had never used.

And she changed the fluid. She wasn’t really certain how she was doing, just that she was. And as the liquid became more fluid, she reached the walls of the vessel she was in and scrapped along it with her nails.

It wouldn’t budge. So she changed it. Until she tore it like tissue paper.

Her muscles were still so weak, still weak. But she was full of fire now. Full of desire to be free of confinement.

And to rejoin her family again. To regain what she had lost.

Nothing would stand in her way.

So she laboriously pushed herself out of the large tube she was in and into the open air.

And her lungs began to work, began to expel the liquid that had filled them. The liquid gushed from the container she had been confined to, spilling onto the ground. And she fell onto the white tile that lay before her pod.

One of many.

She shivered in the cool air as he lungs heaved, purging the liquid that had once sustained her.

How long she lay there coughing and hacking she wasn’t sure. But she felt as a towel began to be applied to her body.

She looked up at the face. A face she had never expected to see again.

Alex?

And she passed out.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Unfinished Business (CC, Mature) Part 4 - 08/08/09

Post by PML »

Thanks again to everyone reading this story.

begonia9508- Well I hope you are still enjoying this story. Thank you for reading.

destinyc- The survivors are going to slowly group together. Thanks for reading. We should see Max starting next part.

mary mary- Thanks. Lets just say they had help from an unexpected source. Maria should find out much more in a part or two.

Timelord31- Max's family did, but its in this part not the next. As for everyone else, the only reason Liz felt Maria die was because she was there. Otherwise, even though they had been so close through their lives, she would not have felt a thing. Except maybe an awkward tingle.

It will affect them all deeply, but they will not instantly know. Except for the direct family.

nibbles2- thanks.

Isabel is dangerous.

AS for Max, well he'll likely be okay. Eventually.

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended. A slight scene and a little dialog is take from the Pilot.

Unfinished Business part 5

Liz-

Liz could not stop crying out as she felt a pain she had felt only once before.

Max Evans was dead.

Really dead. She flashed an image into the bathroom to see Max’s body collapsing to dust in Jimmy’s arms.

Her little stoic son looked up at her image and signed a message.

“You must save Abby and Claudia.”

All Liz wanted to do was curl up and die. All those years it had been bad, but that had been before years of being attached at the soul.

She didn’t know if she could go on.

She would have to. For her children’s sakes.

Liz flashed back into her body. Abby was screaming at the top of her lungs, a sound of total heart break. Claudia was just sitting there at the table trying to comfort Abby. There was something wrong on her cheek, but Liz had no time.

The future had be come much more constrained.

Her chances to live through the day had just drastically dropped. For Lonnie was feeling the bond breakage from Rath. And when she recovered she would kill Liz.

And Abby. And Claudia.

That must not happen. She would not let her children die.

Only one problem. In a direct fight against Lonnie, Liz would lose. Lonnie was simply too powerful.

Flicker. Flicker. Flicker.

Nope. Any direct fight would lead to her losing. Most often to her death, although that was highly contingent on other factors.

Flicker. Flicker. Flicker.

Running would lead to all of their deaths.

In the timeless moment as she turned to face Lonnie, to get off that first shot that would give her the best hope of beating her, she analyzed possibility after possibility.

If she fought Lonnie she would probably die. But if she could summon aid…. Her children at least would live. Most likely.

A poor chance but her best one.

Liz was already building energy for her first blast. “Claudia, protect Abby. Keep her safe. Protect Jimmy if you can.”

“Yes mommy.”

And Liz began the fight of her life.

Hopefully they didn’t kill too many hapless bystanders…..

Liz opened fire in the busy restaurant, her blast flinging Lonnie and a passing waitress across the room.

Not enough. Nothing would be enough.

But for her kids, for Max’s kids, she was willing to die to give them even the slightest chance.

-------
Jimmy-

Jimmy heard the screaming and chaos outside the bathroom where he still sat with Daddy’s ashes. He felt empty and needed to cry. Really really needed to cry.

But there was no time.

Mommy had called for help.

It would arrive too late.

Probably.

It was so hard to be sure. The further his sight traveled from the Now the more murky it got. Many of the possibilities he saw were so very unlikely, but the farther from the Now they got the more they seemed possible.

Even the ones that weren’t.

But there was one he wanted. Wanted badly.

If he failed his best friend would never be born. It was such a slim chance. Maybe not even a real possibility, but it seemed so real.

But trying to save him would also save Mommy.

Probably.

It all depended on his bossy older sister. Could she do what must be done?

Would she know what she could do before it was too late.

Jimmy crawled out of the room, careful to avoid being hit yet.

He was trying so hard to be brave…..

He crawled under a table that hadn’t yet been over turned and saw Claudia. She was holding a comatose Abby.

That was a good sign. Abby would not have wanted to calm down.

Claudia saw him and waved him over.

Jimmy shook his head, wincing at one of the chairs near his table being flung about.

He carefully signed to Claudia. “Save Mommy. Don’t let the mean woman kill her.”

“Get over here!” Was the reply.

“No time….”

He could feel the pain even before the blast hit him and his hiding spot. Felt as it changed from a possibility to a probably to a certainty.

This was going to hurt.

And it did.

Jimmy lost consciousness long before his body hit the wall.

And he remembered no more.

-------
Claudia-

Claudia had done what she always did when her mom gave her an order.

She obeyed.

But Abby did not want to leave Mommy. Not after Daddy had died. Not after a large hole had appeared in her family.

Abby was simply inconsolable.

To be honest Claudia wasn’t do to well either. But for her mother, and for her sister she would be strong. Now if only her brother would get close enough for her to protect him.

For despite the fact that objects were being flung around with abandon none hit her or her sister.

Claudia wouldn’t let them.

Still Abby would not stop trying to run to Mommy, even though Liz was fighting for their lives.

Literally.

And she was losing.

In fact from where she sat, she didn’t see how her mom kept dodging all of the enemy’s attacks. The other woman kept throwing massive waves of energy at Liz, and yet most of the missed.

Most. Not all.

There was nothing she could do to help her mother, but she could calm Abby. It was a little trick she’d picked up in the last year or so. She reached out to her panicky sibling and felt her mind.

For some reason the connection came very easily this time.

And she told Abby to sleep. That she would protect her. That mommy wouldn’t leave them. That she would be safe.

Sleep.

Abby’s golden-flecked brown eyes stared at her in complete trust. Abby reached up and caressed Claudia’s cheek.

And Abby fell asleep.

Well that had been easier than she expected. Usually Abby fought.

Claudia rubbed the cheek Abby had. It felt like it had been cut or burned.

It hurt.

Not important.

She turned back towards the fight, towards making sure that she kept herself and Abby safe. She saw her brother crawl out of the bathroom and waved him over.

He did not follow her orders.

He never did.

She felt and saw as he was hit. As his body went flying across the room.

So did Liz. And she lost concentration.

And Lonnie hit her. Hard. Liz’s body flew across the room to land near her.

Rage filled Claudia.

This was wrong. All wrong.

She would not accept it.

SHE WOULD NOT.

Claudia quietly stood, her sister in her arms.

Lonnie paid her no attention. “So I finally did you in, you little bitch. And now you die!” Lonnie raised a hand above her head theatrically….

“No. You will not kill my mother. I will not let you.”

“And who the hell are you?”

“It doesn’t matter. I won’t let you.”

“Right. A little munchkin like you is going to tell ME what to do.” And she blasted Liz.

Or tried to anyway. A gleaming golden shield stood between her and Liz.

Claudia held one hand out and the other carrying the weight of Abby. “You may have taken my father from me. And my brother. I will not let you take her too.”

Lonnie just stood and stared at her through the flickering shield. “Shit, you’re the fucking heir. Damn it! We’d been so certain it had passed to Michael’s line after Max had died.” There was a pause while Lonnie thought of what to do. “Wait, where’s your brother?”

“You should know you bitch, you blasted him.” She had to stop from cringing at the cuss word. If mom knew that she had sworn she was done for.

And hiding things from Liz was basically impossible.

Lonnie suddenly looked worried and almost…. Frightened. “Where is he!”

“Like I would tell you.” I just need to hold her here. Mom would have called for reinforcements. Who Claudia had no idea, but she knew her mom.

Liz planned for everything.

Lonnie looked destracted and started searching the room. “No, no. I didn’t mean. I, I, please don’t die. Don’t be hurt. I….”

Claudia wished she had some way of striking at the woman. But she didn’t really know how she was doing what she was doing. Only that she was drawing power from some distant source.

And that it loved her. It was so far away as to be inconceivably distant, and yet she could feel it fill her. Could feel it support her and strengthen her.

Abby didn’t feel so heavy anymore.

What she really wanted to do was take a look at her mother.

A little voice told her that her trick with Abby would work on her mother. Only it could do so much more than putting a little girl to sleep.

She edged closer to her mother, setting Abby down, still within the shield.

Lonnie was getting increasingly desperate. And there was a wail of pain when she lifted a small body.

Her brother. Her brother lived.

Lonnie looked at her. “I’m sorry. I, I wouldn’t have hurt him. Not him. You have to tell her that I am sorry…. That I didn’t mean it. I, I…..” Lonnie turned and fled.

Claudia just watched as the woman who had thrown her mother around like a rag doll holding her brother as if he was precious to her.

She wished there was some way she could save Jimmy. That she could stop Lonnie…..

She heard a wet cough from her mother and looked down. Flecks of blood came up with each agonizing cough.

Her mother looked up at her, “I’m sorry honey. I have so much I would have liked to teach you. So much to show you. Take care of Abby and Jimmy…..” Liz’s eyes fluttered as she began to die.

“No, no you can’t go too. No I….” Claudia placed her hands on Liz’s chest and let the energy that soared through her pour into her mother.

Connection.

Flashes of her mother’s life began to flow through her mind. As she healed her mother.

Claudia cried as she witnessed the scene that had set the course of things to come…..

“Liz. LIZ! You have to look at me! You have to look at me!”

Claudia felt as her mother, so close to death looked up at her father and felt that connection for the first time…..

Claudia cradled her mother’s body, her mother’s living body and cried.

-----
Isabel-

Isabel was worried. She had felt something happen to Jimmy.

Something horrible.

She needed to see her son.

But there was also Kyle. Kyle needed Max and soon.

She wished she could go into a trance while driving so that she could feel where Jimmy was. To get a sense of what was wrong. But as fast as she was racing down the streets, she would wreck.

So they sped to the address Ava had given her.

Ava and Kyle weren’t far behind in Ava’s car.

She saw the disturbance of people running for their lives from a restaurant.

So much for Liz and Max’s plans to hide in plain sight.

It would be nice to see them again.

And Jimmy. To meet him in the flesh. To feel him for real.

To hold her son for the first time.

She stopped her motorcycle right outside the restaurant. Which seemed quiet compared to the chaos in the parking lot.

“Don’t go in there! Those freaks will kill you.” A man told her.

Isabel theatrically removed her helmet, letting her golden hair spill free.

There was still a part of her that relished the gazes her appearance still gained her. Beautiful, sexy, and dangerous.

Well if you have it, flaunt it.

She went over her protective screens, making sure everything was in place.

No point in taking chances.

She walked into the wrecked diner. There were several other bodies, most hurt but alive. And there was an image of Liz holding another older version rocking back and forth.

The girl turned and looked at her. On her cheek were five golden points of light in the shape of a ‘V.’

But that would mean…..

“You’re too late. They killed him…. They killed my father.”

Isabel felt as she fell to her knees.

Max was dead.

There would be no healing for Kyle now.

Oh, God, her brother was dead!

Tears streamed down her cheeks.

She needed Jimmy. Needed her son. She desperately felt for him, searched for him.

Not him too, please not Jimmy!

Her voice was weak, “Where is Jimmy, where is my…., your brother?”

“They have him…. Lonnie has him.”

Isabel completely broke down. Max dead. Kyle dying. Her son lost.

Despair and bitterness coursed through her soul.

To love her was to die. To be loved by her was to die.

Perhaps it would just be better to end it all.

Isabel reached up to the heavens to call a bolt of lightning from the blue to strike her down. Surely if any deserved to die it would be her.

“Stop.” came the hoarse command from a tired Liz. “We need you. Your son needs you.” Pause. “Claudia are you strong enough to help Uncle Kyle?’

Isabel lowered her arms and felt the tingling disperse.

The young girl nodded. Perhaps a little confused by Liz’s comment.

Liz said in a hoarse voice,” We will get them back. We will get them all back.”

Isabel hoped so.

She couldn’t take much more death.

-------
Michael-

Michael continued to hold his daughter, his sons already joking with each other. And he looked at the man who claimed to be his brother.

His brother from Antar.

“So I take it you are more than a programmer at Maria’s radio station?”

“I’m your brother.”

“I beg to differ. I don’t recall having any brothers or sisters on Antar.”

“And you remember how much?”

Michael remained silent. He really did not remember much of anything. And it hadn’t bothered him at all for years. Unimportant.

His family and Maria, that had been important.

Dr Preston said, “Fascinating. So you are a full alien.”

“No, I’m a hybrid too. I didn’t die. Just a transplant. Works much better than a husk,” Trevor shivered in disgust.

“Who do you work for?”

“One of the resistance groups. You have to believe me, I didn’t know! I didn’t know until too late to save your wife. I, I tried to save your kids. Good kids.”

“Yes. Yes they are. Are you willing to work against them. Stephanie seems to believe you place family above all else. Are you willing to work against them for me, for us.”

Trevor gulped, “I’ll be a dead man, but then I likely already am.” He looked at Stephanie and smiled. He said softly, “Yes. I will do what I can.”

Michael turned to Dr Preston, “We should go. The enemy could return at any time.”

Trevor spoke up, “Your friends are coming. They meant to be here sooner, but likely ran into some trouble. There are several groups gunning for you now. The rest don’t care if you live or die.”

“And your group was one of the later.”

“You did turn your back on the home world.”

“Earth is my home world. And I will defend it and my family until my dying breath. Lets go. Come on Munchkins…..”

And they left.

------
Maria-

Maria woke up again, this time lying on a comfortable bed.

She felt so wonderful. Everything looked so sharp and clear. And her body was fairly buzzing with energy.

She hadn’t felt like this since her early twenties.

She also felt weak. Her limbs felt heavy, like she hadn’t used them in a long time.

And she could…. Feel things. Things she didn’t understand. She could feel the solidness of everything around her. Feel the hardness of the metal frame, the softness of the blankets…..

So very strange.

“Good Morning,” came a voice. “I have breakfast. Not the most appetizing, but it will be a couple of days before your new body can handle solids.”

She looked at the boy the voice came from. He looked to be in his early teens. He had brown wavy hair and the bluest eyes she had ever seen.

“Who are you? Where is Alex?”

“Alex? Um, not sure. As to who I am, well I can’t say I’m surprised you don’t recognize me. I’ve grown a bit since we last met.” There was a slight curve of his face, a sense of mischief that seemed familiar.

“Zan.”

“I go by Tim these days. The others will be around soon.”

“Where am I?” She reached out to Michael, to her children.

They were so very far away.

“Somewhere safe. Just eat your breakfast. Alex would kill me if I told you before he thought it wise for you to know.”

“Alex… Alex is alive?”

But he just smiled and wouldn’t answer.

What was going on? Where was she? How far away was she from her husband and kids?
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Unfinished Business (CC, Mature) Part 5 - 08/18/09

Post by PML »

Thanks again to everyone following along this story.

Natalie36- Thanks.

Begonia9508- Well this one will be a little tamer. A bit of a transition chapter. Hope you enjoy.

Ti88- Thanks. I hope you continue to enjoy.

zanier1- Thank you. Max will be back, I assure you. In a part or two. Good call on what happened to Zan. More will be explained in the next few parts.

Timelord31- Thanks.

Unfinished Business part 6

Stephanie-

Stephanie paced up and down the small room. Her very own.

It was her old room from before. From when she and her parents had lived here at the Institute. And tomorrow, like she had when she was young, she would be tested.

This time it would be different. For she was different. When she had been a child she’d been like Daniel and Jack. Sometimes she would feel something, be able to tell things just by feeling them. But she’d never been able to do anything.

That had changed about a year and a half ago. But even then it had been small things. She hadn’t really thought of doing big things. And she had known that her father could do things like she could.

But he had been away. And the few times he’d been able to visit had been too short for her to work up the courage to tell him that his daughter was more like him than they had thought.

That she wasn’t normal.

But now….. Now things were different. It was like she had stretched muscles she hadn’t even known she’d had. That she could have done so much more than she had thought long ago.

And that she had grown strong.

How strong she wasn’t sure. That is why they would be testing her tomorrow. To see how strong she really was.

To see what she could do.

To see how far from normal she really was. How much her father’s alien hybrid genes had been passed along.

She really wanted to speak with her dad about this. But he had been busy. Trying to find out who had killed mommy.

And trying to find his friends.

She sat down on her bed. She missed her mom.

She almost thought that if she reached out she could feel her. Feel her so impossibly far away. Little Daniel no longer believed their mom was gone. Certain that she would come back.

But she wouldn’t.

No more late night talks. No more stories, no more watching TV with her and giggling at how inane the characters of a show were.

Stephanie began to cry. She tried to stop it, to calm herself. But her sobs became more and more ragged. Because part of her agreed with Daniel. Could feel her.

Could almost believe…. Could almost hope that she would just walk back through the door. That all of this would be one large mistake.

But it wasn’t. Maria was dead. Her mother was dead.

She had seen it with her own eyes.

And tomorrow they would bury her.

The dam broke and she curled up on her bed and sobbed her heart out.

Unbeknownst to her there were sensors all around the room. Sensors that had detected increasing energy. That detected the build up of static electricity, the flickering lights.

And here and there an item would wobble and move.

Vast power moved and surrounded the little girl.

And it was noted.

------
Michael-

Michael sat with Dr Preston. They had been discussing how to find his friends.

As far as he could tell he had just missed them.

There had been an incident at a local diner not more than two miles from his house. Descriptions given resembled Liz, Max, and Isabel.

The news had been panicky as it released the incredible destruction that it claimed had come from two ‘super human mutants..’

Someone had read too many comics as a child.

No more likely it had been an alien shoot out.

Okay maybe that would have looked like…. Whatever.

Dr Preston cleared his throat, “We completed the autopsy on your wife.”

“Okay. She was killed by a bomb. Why the autopsy. Seems pretty cut and dried.”

“You know why. We wanted to see if there were any changes. Particularly after we noted what your daughter had done.”

“Okay. What of it. I mean it looks like my genes have carried on into the next generation. What of it.”

“Here. Watch.”

Michael’s heart clenched as he watched Stephanie talking to Maria. He wished there had been audio. So he could hear his wife’s voice one last time.

He watched as Stephanie turned to walk away. And stop.

“Wait. Why did she stop?” He looked carefully at his daughters face. Watched as an expression of surprise and wonder turned to horror. And she ran back towards the car.

“We don’t know. Our sensors did not pick up anyone. Unfortunately the audio pick ups were destroyed. Wait. Watch this.”

The car exploded taking Maria from him. But Michael knew his explosives. Stephanie was much too close to the car.

She should have died too.

Except the blast wave, you could actually see the air deforming from the blast in the slow motion camera, pass around her.

Distortion field. His baby could produce a distortion field.

It had taken him years.

Not that it was that hard once you knew what you were doing, but still….

Stephanie was in the sixth grade.

He shook his head in wonder and admiration. He knew that Maria had been happy that their kids had been normal, that the abyss would not hang as heavy on their heads. But for Michael it had always been complicated.

On one hand Maria had been right, his abilities had caused him more heartache than aide…. But at the same time….

Michael was proud of his daughter.

“Okay. So my daughter has powers. We already know that. She’s admitted to that.”

“Yes. Very true. But Michael, the last time she was tested she was entirely human. Nothing like your hybrid cell structure at all. Something must have changed. We would like your permission to do a full panel of blood tests, maybe an MRI…. We want to know why, Michael.”

He looked back at the last picture of his daughter, the explosion wrapping around her. “You will keep your end of the bargain?”

“As long as you keep yours. She is still a minor though. Still under your care. And that means I can ask. I can not say that we won’t ask her when she is older, won’t try to recruit her. I will be honest with you Michael, we will. In a heart beat. But we will abide by our pact. She will be free to go if she wants.”

Michael looked at the Doctor, a man who had become a close family friend. “Yes.”

“Good. There is also another thing. The reason I brought up your wife’s autopsy.” Dr Preston opened a bag and produced a small chip of golden crystal.

Michael’s mind went immediately to the healing stones that Liz had destroyed. They had looked much like that. Only much larger.

“We found this in Maria’s skull. Deep in her brain. The last time we did a CAT scan on her was before Jack was born. Now we never would have found it if we weren’t looking for it. Not unless we got lucky. But we do have that scan data. And for all the scans before it.”

“Let me guess, it wasn’t there.”

“No. It was on the last scan. Or a mass of the same size and placement was. But nothing before that. So if it was implanted, it was around eight years ago.”

“I presume I’m getting a scan too.”

“All of you are. Even the two boys if you will sign the papers….”

An assistant burst into the room, “Doctor, you need to see this.”

Michael looked at Dr Preston and he nodded.

Michael followed.

He heart immediately clenched. On the screen was his daughter balling her eyes. He ached to rush to her side.

But the other screens were active. Ripples of power were rolling off his daughter.

“I forgot you had cameras in the rooms.”

“Just activated by power usage. We are not voyeurs.”

“I need to go to her.”

“Yes. Fascinating. I will watch from here. Oh, and Darlene sends her love. I’ll be bringing over the kids to keep yours occupied. It gets lonely here for a small child.”

“Yeah.” And Michael was gone. Rushing to comfort his daughter. Well aware that his friend would be recording every moment of it.

And Michael was suddenly tired of it all. Tired of the deal he had struck. To be watched 24/7. To have his freedom, but only in a glass cage.

But what other choice did he have.

And he soothed his distraught daughter.

-------
Kyle-

Kyle hurt. A lot.

But it was better than the alternative.

At least he was still alive.

Not that dying would have been that tragic, another chance to grow closer to enlightenment. But he would miss Isabel. Hell he would even miss Ava! Who else would he bitch out his relationship problems with?

Kyle opened his eyes.

He was not at home, nor for that matter in a hotel room.

He was in an RV. He could hear a radio softly playing.

And there were two small golden brown eyes staring at him. The owner was small, perhaps around four. There was a weight of sadness that lingered deep in those bright eyes, but it was overlain by a strong sense of curiosity.

Kyle just looked at her. Liz and Max’s without a doubt.

“Hi! I’m Abby and I’m almost four.” She held up four fingers.

“Well hello there. Is your mom home?”

Abby shook her head, pigtails flying. She then looked seriously at Kyle. “Are you better now? All your booboos gone?”

“Yeah. Just a little stiff.”

Abby smiled, her whole face aglow. “Sissy make booboos go away. She make mine go away too!” Abby raised her elbow to show Kyle.

Kyle laughed stiffly, wishing it didn’t hurt so much. “Well is your dad here.”

Abby’s eyes began to fill with tears. “Daddy gone…. He go away, away forever.” And Abby burst into heart rending sobs.

Kyle stiffly rolled out of bed, wishing he didn’t hear the various creaking noises. He’s been hurt really bad.

He gathered the little girl in his arms and tried to calm her down.

Ava popped into the room. She took Abby from Kyle and put her into a gentle sleep. Ava gently rocked the little girl in her arms lovingly, “So I see you’ve met Cornball’s little charming terror.”

“Yeah. What happened.”

Ava sighed. “Max is dead.”

Kyle kept his voice down so as not to wake Abby. “What!”

Max and Liz ran into Lonnie and Rath. Near as we can tell Rath and Max killed each other. Lonnie almost killed Liz.”

If Lonnie was anywhere near as powerful as Isabel, that was a wonder. That Max had been able to face down Rath did not surprise him.

Max had always been full of surprises.

“So who healed me?”

“Claudia. Their daughter. And heir to the throne of Antar.”

Kyle closed his eyes remember those bad days when Michael had gotten the Seal. “Your sure.”

“Five glowing dots on her cheeks. Only they are gold. Not blue. But it is definitely the Seal.”

“Where are Isabel and Liz?”

“Lonnie took Jimmy. They went to get him back.”

“They won’t know what hit them.”

Max hadn’t been the only one with an endless supply of tricks. Liz’s powers had never been directly powerful. But added to another, and used for planning…..

Ava nodded gravely. She looked down at the little girl in her arms and kissed her forehead.

For the millionth time Kyle wondered why Ava had never found anyone. Had never found someone to make her happy.

She would be such a good mother.

He smiled slightly as he looked at her.

And the memories came back. Of another who had looked just like her.

Of the woman who had used him and abused him.

Even now his thoughts on Tess were complicated. She had been a cold manipulative liar.

And yet despite that. In his deepest heart….

He had loved her. Loved her more than he had ever had done before.

Or since.

It had never truly gone away.

And somehow he knew it never would.

Kyle stared at the ceiling, listening to the faint music. And dwelt on old memories.

And waited for his friend to return.

------

Isabel-

Isabel was in a deep connection with Liz. It was similar to a dream walk, only Liz was very much awake. And Isabel could see what Liz saw.

Only Liz had her eyes closed and was sitting not more than two feet away from her, their hands joined.

But that was not what Isabel saw. Liz had found Jimmy.

And he was alive, in some healing pod like thing.

Only now that Liz had found him, Liz was planning their assault.

Never before had she truly witnessed what Liz was capable of. She watched as Liz examined every aspect of the ground. Analyzed the whole of the terrain.

And not only the patterns the guards were taking…. But also what they would take. In every variation.
On what strategies would work best.

On what the optimal timing of each and every attack would be.

Liz was planning the perfect attack. One that would leave them victorious and unharmed.

Isabel could feel her mouth twist into an evil grin.

Those bastards were so screwed…..

--------

Maria-

Maria woke up again.

She hadn’t even remembered falling asleep. But she had.

Only now she felt much stronger.

A guitar and a bass played in the next room. A complicated and intricate rhythm, one that she did not know.

They were good.

She rolled out of bed, naked as the day she was born. She searched the room for clothes.

There was a set of undergarments and what looked like a pair of shorts and blouse.. They all seemed similar to what she’d had at home, but the fabric was unfamiliar. More like silk than anything else she could think of.

But not quite. Strange.

She quickly put on her underwear and looked up at a nearby mirror.

She looked different. Young. And the scar she’d gotten from the caesarean she’d had when she had Daniel. She ran her hands down her legs. The cellulite was gone. Smooth and young.

She looked like she was twenty.

And she felt young. All the little aches and pains she’d gotten used to were gone. Completely gone.

Wow.

Then she remembered that she might have company at any time.

She quickly dressed. And wished that Michael was here to see her.

Change that she just wished he was there. And her kids.

Once more she felt along the bond she shared with them. They were there. Just very, very far away.

So far it made how Michael used to feel in Afghanistan feel like he’d been in the next room.

Where was she?

She steeled herself to see who was in the next room.

She opened the door to see Alex and Isabel playing the bass and guitar respectively. She just stood there and blinked. “Alex?” She said weakly.

Isabel looked up at her and nudged Alex. “Your awake! He will be so pleased! Are you hungry? Do you need anything?”

“I want to know where I am and I want to go home.”

Isabel and Alex just exchanged glances.

Alex cleared his voice. It sounded different, maybe a little deeper than she remembered. “He will be so happy to see you Maria. It has been so long.”

“Who? Who are you talking about?”

“Alex, of course.”

“But you are Alex.”

“She doesn’t know.”

“Why should she.

“As always you are right.” Alex gave Isabel a kiss.

They were obviously in love. Like she had always imagined they would have been if that whore bitch hadn’t killed him.

Not that she planned to hold it against Zan. Er, Tim. Speaking of which she wondered where he was. “Where is Tim?”

“Sleeping probably. We’ve been working in shifts. By the way, I think you don’t understand who we are. We aren’t who you think.”

“Then who are you?”

The Isabel look alike said, “I’m Amanda, and he is Charles. We are clones.”

“Okay. Um. Okay. Uh, can I see Alex then?”

“Sure,” said Amanda brightly. She got up together with Charles. Both of them walked hand in hand as they lead her on.

They walked past various rooms, many full of enigmatic machines and other strange devices.

But it was when they walked through a large room full of pods that she started to feel weird. All of the pods were translucent and inside her friends resided. She stopped at several off them. Particularly the one of her daughter.

A daughter she wondered if she would ever see.

“What are these.”

“Alex will explain everything.”

It was strange, but when she got close to them she could swear she felt the presence of the person that the body resembled.

For a moment she felt like she’d actually connected with her daughter.

Her eyes filled with tears. She missed them so badly.

She stopped again at her husbands body. How she wished it were actually him.

Both Amanda and Charles watched her, patiently. As if they had expected this.

Maybe they had.

Finally she stopped at one tank. Inside there was an infant. Only there was a strange sense of recognition.

She walked closer, intrigued.

It called to her.

She touched the pod, felt its hard surface. And looked at the little child.

It opened its eyes. Its green eyes.

And for a moment she could see herself from inside the pod.

She staggered back.

Where was she?
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Unfinished Business (CC, Mature) Part 6 - 08/25/09

Post by PML »

Thanks again to everyone reading this story.

Timelord31- Part of the question is answered here.

begonia9508- Thanks.

Mary mary- A bit is discussed in this part, more in the next.

chanks_girl- Thanks. Isabel is sort of a momma bear in this story. Hurt her loved ones and she will rip you to shreds. (Okay, maybe a momma bear/ Terminator hybrid. Because she will not stop. Ever.)

beautifyldreamer- No the child that Jimmy is refering to is referenced in this part. And it is not the infant in the pod. Okay, not much of a spoiler I guess, expect Max back in a few parts.

Tequathisy- Nope. Many miles from Kansas. Say around one Light second away.

DeDe PR- Thank you.

Unfinished Business part 7

Maria-

For a moment she couldn’t breathe. She was surrounded again by the warm inviting fluid.

And she was tired. But she wanted to see her.

To see herself.

She looked so young. Except her eyes. Those luminous green eyes.

Michael had always loved them. He would have liked the skirt and blouse she was wearing, particularly the bit of midriff that was showing.

This had to stop. She was tired and Maria needed to breathe.

She blinked.

And she was staring again at the infant in the pod. Its eyes sliding firmly shut.

Dreaming. Dreaming her life. Her dreams and desires.

Maria staggered back. She looked over at Charles and Amanda, both holding hands and smiling. “What, what is this?

Charles looked at Amanda, who said, “Alex will be just ahead. He can explain everything.”

“No. I want to understand what is going on now. And I am not budging until I do. What is going on!”

“I’ll take it from here, guys.”

Maria turned and saw another copy of Alex. Only this one, this ones eyes…. They were different. Deeper somehow. Aged.

“Are you sure…. I mean we can help you and…..”

“No, thank you for watching her. Why don’t you two spend a little time topside in the Observatory. I’ll make sure your not disturbed.”

Charles and Amanda exchanged glances. A grin and a blush appeared on Amanda’s face. She ran off.

Charles just stared at her for a moment, gave a huge grin to Maria and Alex, waggled his eyebrows. And he was off after her.

“Okay, mister, explain what is going on.”

Alex chuckled. “So the fact that I’m alive is just blasé at this point?”

“I’m not sure you’re you. You could be a shape shifter. Or heaven help us another time traveler.”

“Ah, no. Not that my own experiences aren’t strange enough. Come on, I have a picnic ready for us.” Alex walked ahead of her.

Maria stared again at the infant in the Pod and after Alex. She sighed and followed Alex. What else could she do?

She saw the door close behind him, a sweet perfume wafting from the room he had exited to. She walked up to the door. It had just whooshed open and shut for Alex. The other doors she’d come across in her trip had been opened by Amanda’s hand print.

It had made her think of the old Pod Chamber, with the alien powered rock door. The memory of being trapped behind it, while Michael flew off to Antar in the Granolith. Had it been worse that he had been leaving her so soon after they had finally made love? Or had it been that Tess, that murderous bitch, had been going to Antar with him?

She stood there for several minutes just staring at the door, wondering if she could actually open it herself.

No. Probably not. She’d been the only one of their little group to never develop powers. She actually had dreaded the day when her kids showed some freaky alien talent or skill.

As far as she knew they never had. Except, well there were the connections. But she had that too. And Stephanie had been real cagey ever since she’d started menstruating.

But then she was almost a teen and well privacy would be important to her.

How had her mother ever stood it? And then all the lies Amy had to deal with all the alien chaos.

She missed her mom, so very much. The fact she’d never got to see her grandkids….

Maria stifled a tear. Now was not the time.

Maria still wondered, though. She wanted to think they would come to her about it…. But she always thought they’d approach Michael about it first.

The door opened and it was Tess. Of course.

Only her eyes looked different. Softer somehow. And yet predatory as she looked over Maria and smiled. “Well, well, Alex said you were awake. Come on, the picnic I made for you too is getting cold.” She lead Maria into…..

A garden. A vast garden of blooming flowers and trees. Butterflies wafted on the heavenly breeze.

Several of them landed on ‘Tess’ as she walked along. Barefoot. She looked back at Maria, a smile of pride and contentment on her face. “Welcome to my garden. Please feel free to come here any time. And if you want we can…. Talk.” Her eyes glazed up and down Maria’s body, “Yes, I do believe I would like that.”

“Rain, please leave Maria alone.”

The Tess clone, Rain, pouted prettily. She turned to face Alex, “You won’t be too long will you. I scheduled a rain storm in about an hour and half, and some of the plants really need it.”

“If we’re still here, just let it rain. We can take a little water, can’t we Maria?”

Maria nodded and began to look around the garden. It was huge. She couldn’t even see the edges….

“Forty square kilometers. And it is all mine. Well mine and Alex’s, of course.” She walked over and gave a decidedly unchaste kiss to Alex. “Hope to see more of both of you later.” Her glance at both of them was lascivious. “Much more of you. Preferably both of you. At the same time. Really, just call me…”

“Rain.”

Rain sighed, “Yes, Alex. Always ruining my fun.” She smiled suddenly, “Maybe I will drop by and see Charles and Amanda. Their always up to something fun…..” She skipped, literally skipped out of the room, back the way they had come.

“So spill, buster. What is going on? Where are we?”

“The moon.”

“What? No, no, no, that is impossible. This forest, this place, Alex, no one has anything like this.”

“No one on Earth.”

Maria opened her mouth. And shut it.

She knew very well that aliens existed. She was married to one.

Alex sat down and made himself a sandwich. “Come on, sit down. Make yourself at home.”

“Make myself at home? Alex, I want to go home. But wait, I can’t because I remember that I EXPLODED. I can still remember as flames consumed me. So unless Tess has really put a number on me and this is all an elaborate mind warp or something really weird is happening to me. I mean, shouldn’t I be dead. Or maybe I am. I mean is this heaven? This is a beautiful garden.” She put a finger out and a butterfly landed on her hand only to flutter away, “Maybe that is it. But I thought heaven would be different. And last I knew, Isabel was still alive.”

“She is. Last I checked she was about to free her son from Lonnie.”

“Isabel doesn’t have a son.”

“Jimmy is Isabel and Kyle’s. Still not sure how Max managed to swing it. Liz actually carried the child to term. Something about keeping him safe.”

“My God.” She remembered how fast Liz had ballooned up with Jimmy. How sudden it had all been. Had Liz kept that secret from her? It was possible. They had still been good friends, but since Liz could only visit her as a ghost….. Well there were things that she’d probably kept to herself.

It hurt. But she understood. They each had their own lives.

But wow.

Maria shook her head. And tightened her eyes and glared at Alex. “You still haven’t answered my question. What is going on?”

Alex looked at her with a dry expression. “Lunch. Maybe you have heard of it. It is the meal between breakfast and dinner. Come now, Maria, you have to be hungry. You haven’t had any solids since you broke out of the Pod. You should be ready for them.”

She looked at him. She was angry. But he was right. She was hungry.

Very hungry. She made a sandwich. It was good.

A little bland.

Alex handed her a bottle and she shook some of it on her sandwich, engrossed on eating rather than what the bottle contained. “Hmm, good.”

“Yes well it should be. There is something about the chemistry in those Pods…. Dulls the taste buds somehow I guess. It won’t be as bad as the Pod Squad, the hibernation chemicals they were exposed to during the crash really exasperated the effect.”

“What?”

Alex held up the bottle. “Tabasco. An aliens best friend.”

Maria was crying as she finished her sandwich. She was so confused. And Alex wasn’t helping.

Alex looked at her cautiously. “I really don’t know how much to tell you. I mean, you know that you died, and no this isn’t heaven. Or hell for that matter. You are very much alive.”

“But why? How?”

“Because I love you. I knew what was coming. And knew that I couldn’t really stop it. Not directly. Earth has been so infiltrated by this point, and so many want all of you dead. I knew that some of you, perhaps all of you would die. I couldn’t stop it from happening, but I could still save you. And when you all had children, well I couldn’t just let them die either.”

“Alex, what have you done.”

Alex looked away, “Maria,” He turned back to her. “I made a deal. With Khivar. To save you. To save you all. And with your help, and that of our friends, the Earth as well.”

------
Jimmy-

Jimmy lay flat in the tank, surrounded by some warm thick fluid. He could feel things moving inside of him.

He was being healed. And it certainly wasn’t the local hospital.

He was awake and aware, even though his body was still unconscious. His mom could do something similar. He couldn’t do much though. Too weak. Too young.

He could not wait until he was Claudia’s age and actually could do stuff. Not that Claudia would ever admit to herself that she could. Just thought she was lucky.

And normal. She wanted to be normal.

Bah.

They weren’t normal. A fact of life he had spent hours arguing with his older sister about. Their parents weren’t normal. Even Claudia knew that, heck by this point even little Abby knew that.

The thought of Abby with powers flooded through his mind, and he shuddered. She would be bad enough when she was older. But if she could do now even a fraction of what she would be able to do some day.

No it was better that their abilities developed slowly. Even if it was such a drag to have to wait. To do things. Seeing and perceiving things, well that came earlier.

Jimmy wasn’t certain when he’d become aware that not everyone could see the future stretch before them like he could. He’d never mentioned it, because, well he hadn’t thought it was anything special.

I mean, his mom could do it. Couldn’t everyone’s?

Which is how he knew that he wasn’t going to like what he was about to hear. Not at all.

The next few days were going to hurt almost as bad as getting blasted had. And if he had known how much that was going to hurt, he wasn’t sure he’d been able to go through with the plan. But it was the only way to save his friend, and the best chance to save Mommy.

“So why are we using some of our limited supply of healing gel on this, this human boy.”

The next voice was familiar. The woman who visited him in his dreams.

She was real! And she was here!

He wanted to meet her….. Only something, something told him that there was something wrong with this one. She had visited his dreams… but she had not been the only one.

Two of them. There had been two of them. Both of them had loved him, had cared for him. But one had always been somewhat cold.

It had confused him. How she would change sometimes. Always loving, but somehow different.

Twins. They were twins. Twins who shared much of the same temperament and ability.

The voice said, “He is Vilandra’s son.”

“Excuse me?”

“He is Vilandra’s son. She had him hidden.”

“She hid him with the King? What kind of insane plan is that? Wouldn’t she know that he was our primary target?”

“It is local politics. The locals were hunting her and not him. He turned his back on you and your planet a long time ago. Why would he think that you would care about him.”

“The Royal Seal. We need it. Have you found the Heir?”

“No. My teams are still looking.”

A tall man stood over him, over his medical pod. “So strange. Vilandra’s son. He will make excellent leverage.”

“Not a good idea. It is bad enough that I hurt him. If I tried to use him she would hunt us down and try to kill us all. The woman has no sense of limits.”

“You should know.”

Lonnie sighed. “Yes. I do know her. I probably know her better than she knows herself.”

“That was something I could never understand. Didn’t you used to claim to be her? Isn’t Lonnie short for Vilandra?”

“Yes. Yes it is. The first batch they made. The other batch. It was defective. And so they made us. Perfect pawns for their plans. I have Vilandra’s memories. She is Vilandra. And all that implies.”

“Surely she’s not that dangerous….”

Alarm klaxons began to sound.

“She’s here.”

“Come on, she’s just one woman.”

“Do you have any kids, Jerome?”

“No.”

“Okay, well let me put this simply. She is going to kill us all.”

“If she’s so dangerous, why aren’t you running.”

“She’d just kill us as we fled. I’d tell you to read up on her, but we really don’t have the time. The only hope we have is that she’ll see that he is safe and being healed. Before Rath died, he killed Max. They don’t have anyone who can fix him, bad off as the poor kid is. Maybe she will be willing to talk. She’ll never help us, but she hates the humans as much as we do. She might just stand aside, as long as we don’t harm her or her family.”

Jimmy knew then. His friend was in Lonnie’s belly. Like Abby had been in his mother’s. She was pregnant. And she was going to die.

-------
Liz-

Liz followed behind Isabel carefully. Liz couldn’t distort space around her like the taller blonde could. If someone shot at her, she’d probably get hit. And her armored vest was good, but a lucky hit…. And she’d be joining Max much earlier than planned.

She needed to stay alive for her children. But Isabel needed her help. They were vastly out numbered here, both by human guards and by Skins.

It would take both of them to get through this successfully.

Isabel disintegrated another door. And with the wave of a hand destroyed the gun turret that would have hurt or killed her if she were alone.

With Isabel’s brawn and her brains Jimmy would be safe.

“Hold up, let me check on him.”

Isabel nodded.

Liz looked ahead, making changes to her plans as she saw the enemy adjust to what she and Isabel had done.

She then flashed to where Jimmy was, in the little alien device that Lonnie was healing him with. For he was better than he had been.

Her son had nearly died.

She paused as she saw what almost looked like Jimmy’s ghost sat up. And looked at her.

His eyes were full of hurt as he signed. “Are you really my mommy?”

“Yes. We are coming for you.”

“The other one. She is there isn’t she.”

“Who?”

Jimmy spelled out Vilandra.

What could Liz say to that?

Isabel prodded her, and Liz gave directions on how to get to Jimmy. Directly. It had occurred to her that if Isabel could vaporize doors, why not wall sections?

It would save some time.

Liz sent a portion of herself back to Jimmy, who was waiting for her.

“They are saying that Vilandra is my mother. Is this true?”

Sorrow coursed through her. No matter what she did or said, she was losing a bit of her son. Isabel wasn’t going to hide her relationship with him anymore. Apparently she’d been in his dreams for years. Something Liz had suspected, but never really brought herself to ask Jimmy.

But to lie now….. She would lose Jimmy’s trust. But to tell him the truth…. It would break his heart. It would make him wonder why his real mother hadn’t wanted him.

Either way, Liz would lose.

But he deserved the truth.

“Yes. She is.” Liz could almost feel the pain radiating from her small son. The sense of detachment and loss. “But, just because she is your mother doesn’t make you any less my son. We are coming. And we love you.”
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Unfinished Business (CC, Mature) Part 7 - 09/5/09

Post by PML »

Thanks again to all reading this story.

Natalie36- Thanks. It is a tough situation that they are in.

chanks_girl- Thanks. You will get some if not all of your answers in this part. Alex and Khivar ended up having a strange friendship towards the end. As you will see in following parts.

Timelord31- Thanks

zaneni1- Thanks. Lonnie is pregnant. And if she were allowed to give birth, the child would in the fullness of time become Jimmy's right hand man and best friend. Michael is going to be working for them for a little while longer. He simply does not see an alternative at the moment.

DeDe PR- Thanks. JImmy lacks some of the skill that Liz has, but is perhaps more comfortable with it than Liz is. And no, the abilities are not strictly inherited. The potential is, and it is a dominant trait. Liz might not be his genetic mother, but she still had a large effect on how he developed. A tiny bit of Alex's deal with Khivar is in this part. More in the future parts.

Unfinished Business part 8

Michael-

Michael walked down the corridor to where they were keeping Trevor. He hadn’t really had a lot of time to talk with him. But he had talked a lot with his kids.

Stephanie trusted him. She reminded him of Maria so much it hurt sometimes. Those sudden flashes of intuition.

Besides she was right. If he had wanted to hurt them he could have.

Michael desperately needed someone to trust right now. He was about to do something very dangerous. And while he was fairly sure he’d be okay, he wasn’t certain. Having an adult who he could sort of trust that was not totally part of the US government seemed like a wise idea.

He’d made some minor amendments to his will, to allow Trevor to make decisions for them in the event he or Max and Liz were unavailable.

Michael really did not want his kids to be stuck in same rut he had been. He wanted them to live their own lives free of the burden of the Deal he had made.

He knocked and entered when he heard his brother’s voice.

Trevor looked up at him from his cot. “You do realize that everything we say is being recorded, right? I thought Khivar was paranoid but these humans…..”

“There are people out there who might want to hurt us. You might be one of them. They need to be sure. We’re under surveillance too. It sucks. But it is the price we pay for freedom of movement.”

“Yeah. Real free. You know, I never understood why you took up the deal. I mean I know that Maria was pregnant, but surely there was a better way.”

“I couldn’t see one. And Trevor, I will be honest. We got lucky. I half expected to be vivisected. When the Special Unit captured Max they had actually brought out a saw and were about to get to work on him. No, I talked it over with the group. And Liz, Liz told me who to call. Which group held the best chance for safety.”

“She’s the Seer?”

“The Seer?”

“That is the human term for it isn’t it? You know, Seer, Oracle, Prophetess?”

Michael stared at him. “Yeah. I guess so. Sometimes. It was never really that reliable that I recall. But what she saw, well unless something was done to change it, it happened. Liz always muttered about the chaotic nature of time, but to be honest I really didn’t give a damn. I just wanted Maria to be safe. And I wasn’t going to leave her. Not like that.”

“The group I was working with was so fascinated by that. As far as we can tell she has improved dramatically. It was quite hard to hide from her. She has her limits. Do you have any clue how rare the talent combinations that your human counterparts possess are? I mean, you should know that you of the Royal Four were in the upper percentiles of ability on Antar of course. But the mere fact that all it took to gain those powers for these humans was just the King’s healing….. Well it certainly ignited a lot of interest in humans back on Antar. There are quite a few that have been bred in captivity. But really it is not the same as seeing them in the wild.”

“We’re not exactly zoo animals you know.”

Trevor looked down. “No, you’re not. That makes things so much more complicated. Particularly for those of us who spend a lot of time here. You would be surprise at how many have gone native.”

Michael scratched his eyebrow. “So do you know if any of the Antaran factions plans on invading or doing anything drastic to Earth.”

“Not that I am aware of. But it would be wise for your governments to be cautious if they are approached by any of the factions. Personally I would be fairly surprised if at least on government on your planet hasn’t cut a deal with at least on of our factions. The thing is, Earth is really far away. And while there are some fairly valuable commodities here, some of which are hard to replicate on Antar, it really is too far to trade. It would take some serious infrastructure to make Earth accessible. So no need to worry about an invasion. At least not by a large national army. No one has the troops to spare.”

“So we are safe.”

“I didn’t say that. Nothing is stopping your world from being a training ground, or hiding spot for weaker factions. And it is likely only a matter of time now that Khivar is dead, that someone tries to carve out a small slice of territory to rule. Assuming it hasn’t already happened.”

Michael thought about the husks he had found in Afghanistan.

Great. Just great. Earth has become the Third world.

“So Khivar kicked the bucket?”

“His funeral was widely broadcast among the Five major worlds and many of the colonies. It is probably why Maria was attacked. I haven’t had access to any of my contacts since I tried to save her, but I would guess that the others have been attacked as well.”

“But why? Why now?”

“Khivar was a blood thirsty bastard. As long as he lived there was no way any of us would be able to pry him off of the throne. Trust me, all of us tried. Hell, many of his own tried. A few years back he executed his last son for an attempted coup. He’s got a couple of daughters left, but neither of them are really interested. There is a massive power vacuum on Antar right now.”

“So why hasn’t anyone approached us. Or have they. Has anyone talked to Max about this. He is king after all.”

“His status as King is uncertain. He has the Seal, yes. But it isn’t Zan’s Seal. It’s yours.”

Michael’s mind flashed back to those heady days when he’d carried the Seal. He had never felt more powerful, never more driven.

He was glad it was gone.

“He died.”

“Obviously he got better. Huh. What brought him back.”

“Liz.”

Trevor looked stunned. Absolutely stunned. “She can do that? But for the Seal to pass he would have to have been totally gone. I mean stone cold dead.”

“It was complicated. I’ll tell you the story some day. But, okay. Why haven’t we been approached?”

Trevor sighed, “We are not ready. The Royalists took a beating, particularly once we knew you all were actually alive. There was hope for a little while that you would come home. And some risks were run that cause many of our forces to be crushed. But you didn’t come home. And from the fact all of you settled down to live basically human lives meant you didn’t plan on coming back. Frankly the Royalists have given up on your generation.”

Michael felt a sudden thrill of fear, “You are after our kids.”

Trevor didn’t deny it. “We are not sure if it will be Claudia or Stephanie, but the day will come when one of them carries the Seal. And we will offer them the Crown.”

“My God, is that what this is all about? Is that why you let Maria die!” Michael advanced on Trevor, intent on beating an honest answer out of him if necessary.

“I didn’t let Maria die. She was my friend. You know that. We worked together for a long time. Sure she didn’t know who I really was, and neither did you. But I did. I liked her.” He looked away, “The truth is I failed. I didn’t save Stephanie either. Stephanie saved Stephanie. If she had been a normal girl she would be dead. I was too late. Too late.” He put his hands in his head and sobbed.

Michael stared at his brother. Even after all the years with Maria, sudden outbursts of emotion from other people made him nervous. He no longer assumed it made the person weak, as there had been times when his own mask had slipped.

But he really wasn’t comfortable with it.

He touched Trevor’s shoulder. The man would protect his kids. Both because of his kinship ties, and apparently for political reasons as well. He’d have to deal with that later. Hopefully after he and Max had a little chat.

But he would protect them.

“Trevor, I have a favor to ask.”

Trevor nodded, still unable to speak.

“We’ve found another alien base, we think. A team has been assembled to take it out. They want me to go along.”

“I will protect them. I swear on my immortal soul I will do my utmost to protect them..”

“I will hold you to that. If you betray me, I will hunt you down. Don’t even expect death to stop me.”

“I will keep them safe. Do what you must. I am your man now, not theirs.”

Michael nodded. He would see.

-------
Ava-

Ava had a little smile on her face as she watched Kyle work on her car.

Ava owned a couple of used car lots back in Vegas. She knew cars. Possibly better than Kyle. But convincing him of that…..

Besides watching him get all sweaty was a secret vice of hers. One that Isabel knew about. Heck, she joined Ava sometimes.

Claudia was still asleep, still exhausted from yesterday. She could heal, but she was still very young.

Abby was dancing to some child cartoon. That kid was irrepressible. It really made her wonder, both Liz and Max were such quiet people. Claudia and Jimmy apparently were the same. But Abby…..

Ava smiled. She wanted kids of her own someday. She just wished she could find Mister Right.

Well alter that. She was afraid that she had.

And he was taken.

Her smile slipped. That way was dangerous territory. Better not start down that road.

An image of Liz appeared in front of her. She signed. “We need Claudia. Jimmy is hurt.”

“I will bring her. She is still a little tired.”

Liz nodded. “Hurry. Some of the tau lines I’m reading…. We may have a harder time getting out of here than originally planned. I didn’t plan enough for outside forces.”

“We are coming.”

Liz smiled. And was gone.

Ava sighed and walked out to fetch Kyle. It was going to be another interesting day.

-------
Isabel-

Isabel looked again at the woman who had married her brother.

It was strange she had ever thought Liz would be useless in these situations. It was true that her blasts were pathetic.

But Liz knew where and when to hit someone. And more.

She missed Kyle’s force fields, but Liz might actually be a better person to have tag along. Particularly if she was close enough to link to.

My God, that link was a rush. To know things before they happened….. To sense the possibilities…..

It was addictive.

Liz opened her eyes. “They are on the way. Are you ready?”

“Are you?”

“I have to say this isn’t really my scene, Iz. I’m a molecular biologist, not a warrior princess.”

“You’re doing well so far. I’d hire you. To plan if nothing else.”

Liz smiled. Her face became serious, “Jimmy knows. He overheard his captors. He knows you’re his mother.”

“Oh.”

“Isabel. I, I don’t want to lose him. I, I….”

Isabel looked at Liz. “Thank you for all that you have done. He’s my son, Liz. But I think I need to settle down. As much as we can now that we’re on the run. I think, I think my hunting days are over.”

Liz raised an eyebrow at her.

“Okay, mostly over. Come on, are we ready?”

Liz nodded.

Isabel faced the wall that separated her from her son. There had been a time when she was younger that she had thought her true strength lay in dreams. She was the only one she knew who could dream walk with any reliability. But no. It was like Max’s shield. A powerful secondary gift.

Her real gift, her real power lay in her ability to manipulate matter. And energy to a degree. But energy wasn’t her strength. That was Michael’s

No, where Michael might be able to cause the wall to explode or melt, she could just reach in….. Could just feel the structure of the wall….. And twist.

The wall was dust.

She could have just let it collapse. But that would have been boring.

She could sense where the two frightened enemies lurked in the room.

And where her son lay. She could feel him through the thin bond that had always lain between them. The bond that had formed from the brief time he had lived under her heart. And maintained in her daily dream walks of him.

If she had time she would have looked back and given Liz a hug. For preserving her son as well as she had. There was no way he would have survived on Isabel or Kyle’s journey. Particularly seven or eight years ago.

But there was no time.

Liz would engage and kill the Skin. She would then rescue Jimmy.

Isabel was going to destroy Lonnie.

Oh, she wished she could see their faces as the portion of wall gave way amidst a dust devil.

She could sense her target and she planned her attack.

Lonnie under normal circumstances would be a most formidable enemy. She was almost as strong as Isabel. And she knew what she was doing.

But Isabel had Liz.

The fight lasted less than two minutes, before a spread-eagled Lonnie. Tears running down her face.

Lonnie tried to talk, “Look, we can cut a deal here. We’ll heal your son. Just leave us alone.”

Isabel laughed. “Oh, but my dear, you know so much useful information. I am going to peel layer after layer until I know it all…. And then I will get creative. “

“Please….”

“So, you know the drill I am sure. The more you resist, the more it will hurt.” Isabel placed her hands on Lonnie’s head.

It looked so much like her own. The hair a little darker, the eyes maybe a touch lighter.

If anything, their dress styles had converged.

Isabel smiled as the images surged through her. Oh, Lonnie had been a very bad girl. It went on and on, as Isabel drank in her clones entire life, sifting it for useful information.

She could feel the woman’s pain and humiliation. But she hardened her heart. Lonnie would have no qualms about doing the same to her.

In fact…..

Flash-
Lonnie stood over a gagged and bound Valenti in a deputy uniform. “So duke, here is how it is going to be. I think you know where Max and his friends are. And I am going to rip it from your mind.”

Jim Valenti struggled at his bonds.

Lonnie could hear feminine cries and pleas for help. Screams filling the back ground.

She sighed. She knew he liked to hear them struggle, hear them scream. But she was busy and this would take a lot of concentration. “Hey Rath, can you keep her quiet?”

She heard some violence in the background and the screams were replaced with whimpers. Lonnie looked back at Valenti. “Now, lets get to business. Don’t worry about your girlfriend, Rath knows how to treat a human slut right. At least until he kills them.”

Valenti struggles harder.

“Who knows, maybe I’ll ride you a few times before we are done. Before I crack you pathetic skull open. Now where was I….”

Lonnie begins to mind rape Valenti.

Endflash

Isabel pulls away. It is too much. Lonnie may know something useful. But she has to die.

Lonnie might not have recognized the voice. But Isabel did.

Rath had raped and killed Amy Deluca. Whatever her brother had done to him had been much to quick.

Lonnie herself had at the very least mind raped Valenti. And killed him. There really was no doubt about that.

Isabel had always thought the fire at the Deluca’s had been set by the Feds. She had lain it at their door.

Had killed men over it, no matter how much they denied responsibility.

How much of what Isabel had done over the years had truly been just? How much had she blamed the Special Unit for that really could be lain at the feet of her own people.

She needed to continue, to pull more out of her. But she couldn’t. It was too painful. What if they were the ones who had killed her parents. What if they had…..

Isabel’s face was filled with streaming tears. And her expression was one of a tranquil fury.

She should kill Lonnie slowly, make her suffer. But really all Isabel wanted was for her to die. She gathered her power to kill her. To heat her bones to the melting point and then when she died, when Lonnie’s soul left her body she would reduce the body to ash….

From behind her she heard a voice call out. It was thin and weak. And she had heard it only in his dreams.

“Please. Mommy stop. Don’t kill her. You will kill him too. Please, please stop…..”

And Isabel warred with herself. Her hand still glowed with power.

Lonnie MUST DIE!

And yet…..

Isabel placed her hand on Lonnie’s forehead and listened to the sweet sound of a voice like unto her own screaming for mercy….

---------
Maria-

Maria stared at Alex. She said softly, “You made a deal with Khivar?”

“Yes.”

“But, Alex, why? How could you?”

“I had no choice.” He looked searchingly at Maria, “Oh, I see. No Maria, I died. Tess really killed me. It was only afterwards, after Isabel married Jesse that I came back into play. Khivar wanted to know why Isabel rebuffed him. He wanted to understand.”

Maria was silent. She remembered those days as if burnt into her skull. All the chaos and pain of those last days of her Junior year of High School….

“You may not believe this, but Khivar loved her. He really did. And somehow from his dream walks of Isabel he knew that while she cared for Jesse, she did not really love him. That she was running from something. Khivar knew that neither Max or Michael really wanted to come back to rule. Max apparently didn’t even ask about Zan when they met.”

“What? You would have thought, I mean he was so obsessed…..”

“Yeah, I know. Well, I should say I found out. Being dead at the time, I really wasn’t up for investigations.”

“Okay, so what happened? I mean, can they just bring people back? Like they did with our friends. Like you, like you did with me?”

“No. Well that is not quite true. They can bring back a copy, someone very similar. But to get the same person, to actually have the same soul in the body. Well that is much trickier.”

“Okay. So are we real or just copies? I feel like me, but, but I really remember dying Alex….”

“Yeah, well having my mind torn apart wasn’t any fun either, I assure you. No, you are you. That child that you ran into in the hallway here. Yes I was watching you. What did you feel towards her.”

“I, I don’t know. I felt, I, I actually looked through her eyes.”

“Your eyes. They are your eyes Maria.”

Maria looked down at her body and pinched. It hurt. “But….”

“There is a crystal lodged in your brain. It is part of it, fully integrated into all of what makes you, you. And it is attached to another inside of that small girl in that pod out there. A child that will be full grown in about a week. She will have all of your memories, even the new ones that you make now. If you were to die right this moment, she would remember this conversation. She is you.”

“What…. What are you saying Alex? Your scaring me.”

“That at this point in time you can not die. Well your body can. But you can not.”

Silence fell on their little picnic. Alex made himself another sandwich and ate some potato salad.

Maria didn’t really feel very hungry at the moment. But her body, her new body was starving for solid food. And so she ate.

From time to time Alex would look up at her. To see if she was ready to continue.

She finally looked up at him, “These, these crystals…. Are they, are they…..”

“I have managed to plant them into all of you. Michael, your kids, Liz, Max, all of them. I even chipped Ava when she started to really help Isabel. The only one I haven’t had the chance to was Tess.”

“Tess is dead. She blew herself up.”

“No Maria. Tess is alive. She is alive and in US Air Force custody. Them and the Special Unit.” He looked away, his gaze stretching to infinity. “I really don’t know what I will do when I come across her. But really, now that I am free to act, I really can’t just leave her there. Not even Tess deserves what happened to her.”

Maria quirked an eyebrow. She had never liked Tess one bit. And after she had killed Alex….. Nothing could be too hellish for her in Maria’s mind.

“You really don’t want to know. Not yet. He looked at his watch. We should hurry it will be raining in about five minutes.”

Already Maria could feel the air cool and a fresh wind blow.

It all felt so real and unreal at the same time. Maria closed her eyes and just smelled the fresh smells of the flowers and all of the life. Drank it in.

And that tiny seed, the part of her that had woken up to free herself from the Pod came awake. And stretched…..

Maria felt awe as she could feel the life all around her. A tiny pocket of life on a small dead world. And it felt so good…..

She could feel Alex’s humor as he stared at her. As he packed up the picnic. And sat with her as it began to rain.

Maria stood there and felt as the water soaked her clothes and rolled down her skin. She was confused and frightened. Was she even really Maria? The real Maria?

But she took the moment to savor the feel of life and the exhilaration of the sudden rain shower. And knew then and there that whatever she might find out, whatever frightening thing might come next, she was alive.

She was alive. And until it was proven otherwise, she would consider herself Maria Deluca. And hope bloomed again in her heart. Hope that she could reclaim it all.

Reclaim her life and more.

Be careful Michael. I don’t know when, and I don’t know how. But I am coming…..
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Unfinished Business (CC, Mature) Part 8 - 09/13/09

Post by PML »

Sorry this part is late. Thanks to everyone following along this somewhat convoluted story.

Timelord31- Thanks

Natalie36- Thanks

Begonia9508- Thanks

DeDe PR- You should see Max a little in the next part. He'll be awake a part or two from that. And yes it is dangerous to bring Claudia into a warzone. But she is the only one who is any good at healing.

nibbles2- Thank you.

Unfinished Business part 9

Jimmy-

Jimmy stared in horror as his mother killed his best friend. A friend who would never be born.

Possible…. Unlikely….. Unreal…..

Lonnie’s body flared for a brief moment before collapsing into dust.

His mother stood there, hands still raised where her twin had once been. She was breathing heavily and sobbing. Her eyes were red rimmed as she looked at him.

He could not hide his horror and anger. Why hadn’t she listened to him?

Why hadn’t she ever loved him? Why had she left him to be raised by Liz and Max? Sweet but firm Liz and kind and gentle Max. The only parents he had never known.

He felt as not only his visions of the future were yanked away, but also the firms supports that had balanced him throughout his childhood.

Oh, God, who am I?

He stared at his palms, a faint golden glow shining through. The beginnings of an energy buildup for a blast. He’d almost blasted his own mother.

Am I a killer, like she is? Am I, am I evil?

He felt a hand on his cheek. He turned to look. Liz. The woman who had raised him as her own. Even now Jimmy could feel the tau lines separating them.

There had been a good chance he never would have known Liz was not his mother. A very good chance. But now he knew.

And the future was dark to him.

It would take time to follow the new tau lines. To see what might now be. Even now images and possibilities crowded his mind. But he did not want to give up on his friend, the man who had been his right hand man on countless adventures. The man who had stood as his best man at his wedding.

So many memories. So much unreality.

“Sleep, baby. Sleep. I will protect you. Always, my dear heart.”

“But your not my mother.”

“I am, and so is she. You may have her genetic code, but I have cared for you. She will have to share. As will I. But I love you. I love you Jimmy…. Jimmy Valenti.”

And Jimmy let her hold him. He felt himself drift off in her arms.

She would protect him. But could she protect him from himself? From his past, from his heritage….

Isabel, eyes still streaming, walked over. She looked at him with sad and confused eyes.

Jimmy’s heart went out to her. For he had spent countless dreams with her. Talking of the day, and she would tell him stories. Most of which he could never remember when he woke. But they had been magical.

Some of them had been with Lonnie and not Isabel.

When she reached to kiss his forehead he could not stop from flinching. He knew it would hurt her. And he knew that she needed him. She needed him now more than ever.

But he was so mad at her. And, and….. He was so tired of being reasonable. He was only seven. Was it too much to ask to not be the perfect son for once?

He saw her face fall at his slight hesitation, at the anger. Immediately he felt guilt. She was going through hell, and he just made it worse.

But he couldn’t, he just couldn’t take it back.

Jimmy turned and clung to Liz, to the woman who had raised him and cried. Cried for the loss of his future. Cried for the loss of his past.

He knew that things would get better. That possibilities and wonders still lay in front of him….. But for now Jimmy Valenti mourned.

-------
Kyle-

Kyle was driving the RV that Liz and Max were using. Of course, the modifications on this beast were not the sort of things you would find at a normal dealer.

The armor for instance. The US Army would drool over the light weight power-laced armor that Max had whipped up for it.

Kyle didn’t think he could copy it. Not yet. It was, was complex. Kyle could manipulate energy fields, much the same way that Max could. But not like this…..

And there was the fact it would never need a fill-up.

El Presidente had been hiding some good tricks. It was hard to believe he was dead.

His gaze turned to little Abby, lying in a car seat. He loved children and wished that Isabel had been amenable to having one. But their lifestyle….. It was no way to raise a child.

Still…..

His phone rang. “Hello?”

“Kyle, it’s Ava. Got another visit from Liz. We need to get there pronto. They are holed up in the center of the building. And it is under attack. They are not sure who, but they need help.”

“I can stop the RV and get there faster on Iz’s bike….”

“No, we need Claudia. And you my friend are not up to full speed. Liz has nixed that idea.”

“Alright. Well we should be close now. How far are you?”

“I can actually see you. Maybe a block back. You do realize this car was not made for towing?”

“It’ll be fine. And Iz would kill me if we just abandoned her bike.” Kyle stopped the RV. There was a police checkpoint in front of him.

“Ava, we’ve got a problem. The police have cordoned off the building. Is Liz in contact with you?”

He heard Ava mutter something under her breath. “You are not going to like this. I’ve got orders from Cornball. Park the RV.”

“Okay. Um, any particular place?”

A pause. “Someplace you can easily get out of. And, and I need you to wake Claudia. She needs to get there. Jimmy can’t be moved without her healing him.”

“Alright. Um, so I bike her in after all?”

“No….. I do.”

“What! That’s insane!” Why did Ava get hurt worry him so? He’d always gotten mixed feelings about her. She looked so much like Tess, particularly now that she no longer died her hair. It always reminded him of what might have been if she hadn’t turned out to be an evil bitch.

Ava certainly wasn’t. She had been there for both him and Isabel. The number of times he’d crashed at her place, or she and Izzie had gone off on a girl’s night…..

He cared for her. And a little voice told him that he cared for her more than he was willing to admit. That he’d always gotten a little depressed when she’d get involved with someone. Which was totally insane, because if there was ever anyone who deserved someone to love her it was Ava…..

I can not be thinking this right now. I. Can. Not.

He parked the RV.

Ava pulled up right next to him a few moments later. She rapidly got out of the car and ran to the door. “Claudia! Are you ready?”

Claudia came out, still rubbing her eyes. But dressed in what almost looked like bike leathers and a motorcycle helmet cradled in one arm. “Mom told me to get ready. Said I should break out this stuff. Never really thought I’d need it, but you know Mom….”

“Five steps ahead of everyone,” Kyle muttered. That vision thing that she had…. It was really freaky at times.

Ava looked at Claudia. “Right, I should have known.” She shook her head. “I don’t suppose?”

“Yeah, I always wondered. When we bought them yesterday, I was so sure they were not her style.”

Kyle sighed. He was going to be stuck with Abby. An Abby now beginning to wake up. He remembered Liz’s warnings not to feed her sugar. Or chocolate. Or anything that involved caffeine.

Ava came out of the bedroom in something a little more substantial than her blouse. And even from here Kyle could see that it was armored. Not as well done as the RV, but done.

Liz’s handiwork.

Kyle got up and walked over to Claudia. He focused on the weaved power and strengthened it.

Abby squealed with joy at seeing her sister. “You look so pretty, Cloudy!”

“Thanks squirt,” Claudia said as she ruffled her little sisters hair.

“You’re pretty to Aunt Avy!”

Ava just smiled, and looked at Kyle. Her eyes looked so luminous and blue. A blue sky that stretched into forever.

Kyle went over and fixed the shielding in her garments. He couldn’t help a little smile that kept forming on his face.

She looked up at him searchingly.

And she kissed him. And hurriedly left.

Kyle stared after her. And knew.

Ava loved him. He was the reason she had never been able to move on. She loved him and…..

This was so not the time. So very not the time for this.

But he felt as his heart flopped weakly from that kiss. She loved him!

No. I am loyal to Isabel. I am…. Loyal. Above all things.

Loyal to a woman who could not or would not bring herself to love him back. Who filled his physical needs and some but not all of the emotional ones.

There had been a time when having a mostly physical relationship with someone like Isabel would have been all that he wanted. But he was older, and he wanted…. More.

Moreover, those emotional needs, those times when he needed someone to care for him…. It had been Ava…..

Kyle wanted to find a solid object and bash his head repeatedly on it for a long, long time.

Claudia looked at him enigmatically. She looked so much like her mother when she looked at him like that. She turned to go, tousling her sister’s hair one more time.

Abby watched as Claudia left and turned to him, “Uncle Kyle! Let me out and we can play!”

Where was that divine lightning bolt when you really needed it?

------
Liz-

Liz held Jimmy in her arms and looked at an unraveling Isabel. Now was not the time. “Isabel, you have to hold it together! Come on, I will need your help.”

“He hates me.”

“Jimmy, he will forgive you. He looked to far into his future. Into one possibility. Trust me he will get over it.”

“My life. It is all a lie. I, I am just like her. A monster.”

“Isabel…. In a few moments our enemies are going to break through that door over there. And I will need your help. Or we will all die. Or wish we had. Isabel, the Feds, they are here too.”

“They didn’t kill my parents. Or the Sheriff. And what they did to Amy, how could she be so evil! And I, I am just like her. I, I….”

Liz slapped her. “Concentrate! I need you! Jimmy needs you! Focus!”

Isabel glared at her weakly, a tiny bit of her usual attitude peeking out.

“Better. Ava and Claudia are on the way. We need to hold here.”

Isabel looked down at her wounded and unconscious son. “I swear I will make it up to you somehow. And to do that…..” She straightened her shoulders.

The old Isabel was back.

“Bring them on! IF they try to hurt my son…..”

Liz smiled and Linked herself again to Isabel. They would need every advantage….

“Here they come…..”

-------
Ava

Ava could not believe she had actually kissed him. She had wanted to for so long…..

And she really thought she was probably going to die. Liz had said that it was a possibility.

They could all die. But this gave the most of them the best chance.

She gunned the bike. It sped towards the police checkpoint. She hadn’t asked, but she could sense as a golden field began to surround the bike.

It made driving through the barriers so much safer. And the bullets the police fired at them simply bounced off.

She slowed down a bit once they got to the building itself, but there was no way she was going to risk walking all the way inside.

Ava took the bike.

Claudia continued to shield them. Blasts of energy began to join the bullets. It was a confused melee between several different groups. Some human, some not.

She couldn’t hazard a guess as to why they were all here. Ava was just focused on survival.

She stopped as she saw one knot of enemies clogging an entrance to the room Liz was guarding. How was she going to get through all of that. Ava could blast, but she had no illusions of her ability to handle such large groups. “Claudia, can you move them aside?”

“No, I, I don’t think so. I, I don’t know how to blast.”

“We’ll figure something out.”

A hole appeared in the wall they were standing at. Ava could see a frowning Isabel glaring at it. She waved jauntily at her and then went back to blasting enemies stupid enough to show themselves.

“Over here!” cried Liz.

Claudia slipped off the bike and ran to her brother. And began to heal him.

“It is about time. Kyle is with Abby?”

Ava nodded. Dealing with Liz was always hard. She liked the woman, but Liz always knew too much. It made her nervous.

Liz looked at her searchingly and sighed. “Well I guess it can’t be helped. I did hope that it wouldn’t happen just yet. But…..”

“What?”

“It is just this really isn’t the right time. Well the heart wants what it wants, I guess.”

Yep. Talking to Cornball always hurt the head. Given time and opportunity she could see the past, present or future on anything that affected her. Not too surprising that she would know that Ava carried a torch for Kyle.

Ava looked over at Isabel. At her tall blonde friend. This would all be so much easier if she hated the girl. But she didn’t.

She didn’t. And she would leave Kyle alone. She wasn’t about to steal him away from Isabel. That would just wrong.

Still she would cherish the kiss.

Surely Isabel wouldn’t hate her for that?
-------

Michael-

Michael was again in a military helicopter heading for combat. But today was different. Always before it had been somewhere overseas. Today it was much too close to home.

Michael had so hope that they had changed the future way back in high school. When Max had come back in time to change things.

But here it was, just shy of 2014 and things were beginning to fall apart. And the aliens were making selves known.

Had they really changed anything at all?

As always his eyes closed and his thoughts went to Maria. Why had she died? He had always known that his death would be a blow to her. But he had known that he was taking risks that always carried that chance.

But he never thought he would out live his wife. Never. And the void her soul made in his heart…..

Only his children kept him from joining her. They needed him. Alive and whole. And so he would fight hard for them, to get back to them and to make a world worth growing up in.

And lately he felt a ghost of her presence. Like she was still with him, just very far away.

He opened his eyes and got back to work.

Someday he would join her.

But not just yet.

--------
Maria

Maria wandered the paths in the rain. Alex had eventually gone off to attend to some business. But he had promised to fetch her for dinner.

She was still soaking wet when Tim found her. He was sensibly holding an umbrella. He looked at her for a moment and then looked away.

Embarrassed.

She was getting checked out by Max’s teenage son. She could feel a tiny burble of laughter rise in the back of her throat. And she laughed.

Tim just looked at her like she had gone insane. “Um, I, I was wondering if you would like to join me for breakfast.”

“I just ate. But what the heck. I can certainly keep you company.”

“I, uh, thanks.” He was silent as they walked back to one of the doors out of the garden.

Maria was mostly focused on the wonder of it all. You would never know that you were not on Earth. You could probably see the walls, but the trees blocked the sight lines. And the sky…. There were real clouds above them.

“Tim how high is the ceiling?”

“About a mile I think. There are several layers of fields keeping any of the debris from falling on us. And to keep the atmosphere in if there was a breach. It’s impressive though. You should see Rain’s plans for the rest of the Moon…. She won’t be happy until it is entirely terra-formed.”

Maria cocked her head to the side and imagined what the Moon would look like in the sky if it were truly covered with oceans and trees…..

Tim continued, “Of course none of it would work without the things Serena has been working on….”

Maria’s ears perked up. Serena. Why did that name seem so important….. She couldn’t quite remember. But she knew there was a reason.

Tim continued, “But it is going to take a lot of work. Alex said he is going to test the first baby steps today. Or tomorrow. I can’t wait!” Then his demeanor fell. He positively mopped as he walked out of the garden.

Maria was beginning to feel a little cold. It had been one thing to traipse around in the rain, another to be walking around in damp clothes. “Maybe I should change first.”

“Why?”

“Uh, my clothes. They’re kind of damp.”

Tim looked over at her. His eyes were studiously avoiding her breasts. So much so he might have well have stared. He touched one of her sleeves, and the water sluiced out.

Her clothes were dry.

“Once you get the hang of it, you’ll be able to do that too.”

“Do what?”

“Dry your own clothes.”

“Zan, I mean, Tim, how? I don’t have powers.”

“Didn’t he tell you?”

“Who tell me what?”

“Your different now. I mean it was just a small little change.”

“No, I, I don’t believe it.”

“How do you think you were able to get out of your pod without help? You changed the molecular structure of the fluid. You would have had to move.”

“I…. I….” All the new sensations she’d been feeling came back to her. She had thought it was just being young again. Just seeing things through new eyes.

Apparently there had been more changes than she thought.

It wasn’t much. Her best friends, her husband, they all had abilities. Even Stephanie…. She still wasn’t sure, but she suspected…..

And now her.

Maria Deluca wasn’t fully human anymore. Assuming of course she was indeed Maria, and not some clone with delusions. Or maybe….

Maria passed out.