Weathering the Storm (CC, MM, Mature) Epilogue - 01/23/10

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Weathering the Storm (CC, MM, Mature) Part 9 - 07/29/09

Post by PML »

Thanks again for all of you following along this story.

Eva- I'm glad you liked Isabel. As for Maria, well if Maria and Alex, the two non-brooding members of the group self destruct.... Yeah something is obviously wrong. The question now is what they are going to do about it.

Nibbles2- One of the key points to this story is that just because you are evil, and in this story Tess is, it does not mean you will see yourself as evil. In fact it is possible to delude yourself that you are doing the right thing. In Tess's case that self delusion is starting to wear thin. As to her ultimate fate, well that would be telling. She still has a little more damage to cause. For things to go her way just a little bit more.

And then her world will fall completly apart.

Tequathisy- Isabel goes to an extreme length to prove it to her.

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended. Parts from Its Too Late and Its Too Bad are alluded to, and paraphrased.

Weathering the Storm part 10

Michael-

Michael stared at the sleeping form of Isabel.

It had been her idea to talk with Maria in her dreams, to see what had happened. To find out why she had done the unthinkable.

It wasn’t like this was the first time she had thought he was cheating on her. And even with Alex. And she’d mentioned some problems with Liz….

Okay, Maria’s life sucked right not. But suicide? Maria? Nope. He just couldn’t see it.

Isabel just had to find out why. Why that specific vision had triggered such an extreme reaction.

Michael personally thought that one of their enemies was attacking them right now. Divide and conquer. Attack their weakest members.

Oh yeah, he was supposed to be calling Liz and Kyle. They were the last of the humans that might be vulnerable. That might be under attack.

He walked over and picked up the cordless phone.

No he had to look, to make sure she was still okay.

Michael walked into Maria’s bedroom. She lay there so still, still pale from the stress of her near death experience.

To think he had come so close to losing her.

He sat at the side of her bed and listened to her gentle breathing, her eyes moving under her lids.

So she probably was dreaming.

What was she saying to Isabel? What secrets did she know?

He really could have lost her. She really almost died.

What was worse was the fact that she didn’t know. Didn’t know how much she meant to him. She would have died think that he was over her. That he had moved on. Moved on with Isabel.

Didn’t she realize how much she meant to him?

Apparently not.

But then again, what proof did she have that he would always be true to her? What reason did she have to see him other than what she did… impulsive and fickle.

Michael knew, he KNEW how much he meant to her. And how much he hurt her on a regular basis. By not sharing. By not being open.

But he was so scared. So frightened.

She frightened him. More than any alien threat.

Because he loved her. Because she could hurt him like no other being on Earth.

Or any other world.

No one. Not Isabel, not Max. No matter how much he loved and cared for them, even respected them, they could not break him like this little girl could.

Like she nearly had. If she had died…..

No he couldn’t risk it again. He couldn’t risk losing her again.

Not like that.

He knew what he needed to do.

He kissed Maria gently on the forehead, smelling the incense and shampoo.

And he silently left her room and made some calls.

-------
Max-

Max felt so empty. So very empty.

Liz hated him. They were enemies.

Michael was respectful, but offered no aid.

Isabel defied him. Openly defied him.

The only one who stood by him was Tess.

Tess. Beautiful, sexy Tess. A girl he was attracted to, a girl that he liked., that he cared for….

A girl he did not love. Not like he did Liz. Not like he still did with Liz.

Liz had been his world. Was still in many ways the central foundation he built his life on. And yet, and yet she hated everything he stood for now.

All he wanted is for everyone to be safe! Didn’t they realize that! Their enemies were out there and no one would help him.

No one except Tess.

A Tess who supported him. Talked to him. Cared for him. Listened to him in a way none of the others had done for months.

Tess loved him.

No one else did. Not anymore.

And he was so lonely……

He got out of the Jeep and walked up to the Observatory. She had said she had wanted to show him something. Something important.

He didn’t want to lose her too.

Just thinking of being alone brought flashes of white to his mind. Visions of the white room.

Visions of Pierce.

Funny. In many ways he had felt less alone then, than he did now.

It was late and the rest of the parking lot was empty. Not a lot of call for stargazing on such a warm night. This late in the year, most of his classmates were either studying for finals or partying.

The Observatory was quite empty.

Except for her. Tess.

He looked at her, just looked at her from the darkness. Her hair gleamed bright, her figure appealing.

Once more he pushed down a trace of guilt. Guilt that he was attracted to someone that wasn’t Liz. That he was looking forward to kissing her, to smelling her slightly cloying perfume.

A part of him wished to howl at the loss of Liz. At the slight hint of vanilla mixed with strawberries. But it was time to stop dreaming. Time to move on.

Time to accept life as it was, not as he wished it to be.

To accept his Destiny.

Whether he truly wanted it or not.

And he went up to meet Tess.

------
Isabel

Isabel held onto Maria. A Maria still draped in a bath robe.

Eventually the hug broke, both girls looking at each other.

Isabel broke the silence first. “So why did you do it?”

Maria looked surprised. “Do what?”

“Maria….. Michael and I found you alone, in your bath tub, bleeding to death. It took both of us, working together to save you. Now, why would you do that?”

“I, I don’t really know. It’s, it’s all fuzzy. Like I don’t want to know, you know?”

Isabel nodded. “If only there was some way I could show you, could prove to you…..”

There was.

She could connect with Maria. She had done it before, with Max mostly. But it was something they had done much more often when they were kids.

And they usually didn’t push themselves, they just let the other see.

Would a human be able to see her, to see her intentions and what happened this afternoon? Or was there some way he could prove to her. Push the right thoughts…..

Yes…

Maybe there was. But not like this. You couldn’t deep connect through a dream. It was in its own way a deep connection, and, and the best connections could only performed though touch.

She would have to wake Maria. To connect to her.

“I trust you Isabel. I don’t know what came over me. I, I can almost see how I was feeling. I, I really wasn’t myself….. I mean, I was, I can see how I thought what I thought, but I can’t see how….”

Isabel nodded. “We think you were attacked. Attacked by what ever killed Alex.”

“But it was an accident….”

Isabel shook her head, “I don’t think so, not any more. Maybe if it had just been Alex. But even then, the whole thing….. I actually read the report Valenti gave Max. It is compelling….”

“Alex would never….”

“Wait, Maria, wait. I don’t think he would willingly do it. But then, I don’t think you would either. I think you were pushed. And Alex was too.”

“If you are right….”

“Then we need to work with Liz. God, you have no clue how much I find her being right so annoying! I mean in school its one thing, but all the time?”

“She’s a good friend.”

“Yeah.”

It was silent for a moment. Isabel looked up at the smaller girl. “Maria, I am going to wake up now. And I am going to wake you. And show you what truly happened today. I am your friend. I don’t want you to doubt me.”

“Isabel, you don’t have too…..”

“I know I don’t. See you in a moment….”

Isabel woke in a gasp of breath. There had to be an easier way to end these dreams. To just quietly wake.

Oh well, maybe someday.

Michael was at her side. “Well? Is she okay?”

“Michael, she’s fine. I need to get to her.”

“Why?”

“Proving myself.” She felt Michael’s gaze on her back as she walked into Maria’s room.

Maria still slept.

Isabel felt a little wrong doing this, but she wanted it out of the way. So she touched Maria’s forehead and pulsed a touch of dream walking.

It was a trick she had learned on her brother. To wake him when his dreams got too wild, too alien.

All she had to do was.

Maria woke gasping, her eyes looking in askance at everything.

Michael stood in the hallway watching both of them. Phone still in one hand.

Isabel looked at Maria, looked at her friend. Someone she hoped would be a true friend to her in the future. She had a feeling she would need some very soon.

Absently she rubbed her belly.

Maria’s green eyes were wide and questioning.

Isabel kept her hands on Maria’s head. “I told you I would let you see, to understand what happened to day. In a way I can’t hide.”

“Isabel, you don’t need to do this.”

Isabel smiled and opened the connection.

And the flashes began.

-------
Tess

Tess watched as Max appeared out of the shadows and approached her.

He looked so lost. So alone. Her heart went out to him.

A heart that began to beat faster as he came closer to her, as he touched her face.

“You said you had something to show me.”

“Look, see that reddish star over there?” Tess pointed, leaning into Max slightly. “That is Antares. It’s bright enough to see on Antar too.” She turned to face him, still touching. “I know it’s hard to believe that it is really out there. Our home. But it is. All this, all this is just a dream.”

Max looked down at her, his lips slightly parted. “Just a dream….”

It would take so little. Just a little push. Just a teeny-tiny little push and he would be hers.

Surely it wouldn’t hurt?

So she reached into herself, into that part that housed her talents. And awakened a touch more desire in Max. Just a little brush.

That is all it took.

She looked up into his now dark smoldering eyes, her heart hammering in her chest.

Max said, “All of this, all just a dream.” He looked away for just a moment.

Tess could feel her heart catch. Surely he wouldn’t, couldn’t pull away!

He turned back to face her, his gaze full of passion and yet curiously empty. “Then I guess it’s time I woke up.”

And he kissed her.

-------
Kyle-

Kyle stood there watching Max and Tess. He cursed himself for his need to make sure Tess was okay.

Part of him wanted to rush in, to protest….. But he did not know why. He knew that Tess wanted this.

Wanted it more than she had wanted….. Wanted what? He just wasn’t sure.

He had been so confused lately. So very unsure.

But he had known something was up when Tess had gone berserk when she had gotten home from school. She had totally ignored him so that she could look perfect for Max.

Kyle took another swig of the brandy he had snuck out of the house. It had been a while, but something had told him he would need it.

He knew he should go, should leave them. But he felt so… strange watching them kiss. Like it should be him not Max.

But why should he feel that? Tess was like a sister to him.

But with each sip, that feeling began to grow. That this was all wrong.

He watched as they moved to a more sheltered location. A lone sleeping bag lay partly opened on the floor.

No longer were they just moving their hands up and down their bodies hindered by clothing. Kyle’s eyes burned as he watched Tess remove her shirt. And bra.

And watched as Max took what should have been his. Again.

He wanted to charge up there. To confront them.

But he couldn’t. Tess had told him this was what she wanted.

And he loved her. Oh, how he loved her. Okay, how he lusted for her. But there was caring and love there too.

He could remember her talking to him about it. A deep serious talk late one night after a make out session not long after they had returned from Las Vegas.

That Kyle would have to let her go.

He had wanted to. He still didn’t want to.

But he had to obey. He had to….

Kyle stood there, in the shadows, transfixed by what he was seeing. And each time he drank a little more, his mind would break just a little more free.

Not of the compulsions, but of the illusions. He couldn’t, absolutely could not do what he wished. He could not stop what he was watching.

Because Tess wanted it.

But memories of Tess in his own arms, of whispered promises….. Of shared caresses and kisses.

And the Talk.

And Prom. When it all went away. When the love stayed but the passion left. When he saw her as a sister, when he buried his attraction to her because of it.

But the brandy brought back the memories. It brought them back.

And he only stayed because he thought if he could just watch just a little bit longer he could act on what he needed to do. But that magical moment never happened.

And when he saw Tess’s skirt removed, when he saw what would inevitably happen next…. He fled.

His heart broken, he fled. To his home, so full of memories he fled. To find more brandy or whisky or something, anything that might take the memories away. If only for a little time.

To take away the pain.

But the more he drank the more he remembered.

So he drank. And drank. And drank……

--------
Maria-

Maria felt as the memories flowed through her. That is all that it was; memories.

But she also felt the wounded soul that lurked within. Isabel was trying so hard, trying so hard to function. To matter.

Not to replace what she had lost….. But to find comfort from her friends. From Michael.

From Maria. Isabel considered her a potential close friend. Someone she could trust.

And deeper within Isabel, Maria could feel seven smaller souls. New, bright, and shiny.

Alex had said babies. Plural. But not twins.

Seven? My God, what were they going to do? Seven half alien babies?

Did she ever need to talk with Alex.

With Alex’s ghost.

In a dream.

Okay. She was well past just the normal abyss now. Twilight Zone city.

For she knew that Isabel was receiving some of her memories too. Not deliberately, they were just flowing.

They were connected.

And it felt strange. So strange, because it didn’t feel strange. It felt like what she had with Liz. Or had with Alex.

Only without the freaky alien memory swap thingy.

Isabel looked down at her, a slight smile on her face belying the tears. “I’ll be in the other room. I just, I, Michael will want to speak with you.”

Maria watched as Isabel left and hit Michael lightly on the shoulder, whispering something sharp to him as she went past.

Michael looked after Isabel for a moment, shaking his head. He then turned to face Maria and decisively advanced.

Maria looked up at his face. At his impassive neutral expression.

A tiny bit of her feared the worst. But somehow, some of what she had seen from Isabel made her hope.

Isabel deeply believed that Michael loved Maria. That he was as hopelessly in love with her as Max had once been with Liz.

She wasn’t sure, but maybe. Maybe it wasn’t over.

Michael said softly, “We need to talk.”

Maria’s heart began to hammer. This could be good. This could be bad.

Either way she focused all she was on listening to him.

Something told her this was going to be important.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Weathering the Storm (CC, MM, Mature) Part 10 - 08/07/09

Post by PML »

Thanks to all following along.

Eva- I agree about the need for the group to actually bond together and actually work together. Instead the mostly just travelled in parallel. And when things went wrong everything fell apart.

That is not going to happen here. Not at the end.

As for Kyle, things will get worse before they get better.

Tequathisy- Thanks. It just felt like something she would say. Yeah, poor Isabel is carrying seven babies. Think that would make the news? High school student pregnant with septuplets after father dies in car crash?

Natalie36- I'm working on it.

CandyLand- Thanks. Well you will see their discussion in this part. I hope you like it.

nibbles2- Thanks. Isabel is done wasting time. To her mind her insecuties have stolen one of the best things in her life. And if she is going to do something, she is going to do it. Full force.

DeDe PR- Thanks. As for Kyle, things will get worse before they get better. But they will get better.

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended. Some nods to The Departure for some dialog and partial scene.

Weathering the Storm part 11

Kyle-

Kyle was drunk.

And yet for the first time in a month his mind felt crystal clear. Well as clear as it could be with the room spinning.

He loved Tess.

And not like a brother.

Memories and feelings all came crashing back to him. Both the good and the bad.

Tess had been messing with his head. Mind warping him. He could see that now. Had been playing him for months. Her own living sex doll.

The only thing they hadn’t done was intercourse.

She had used him.

And he missed her. Somehow he had always thought that she would give up on her designs on Evans. To not just be with Kyle, but to actually be with him.

Because despite all she had done, he loved her.

Despite the fact that she had done something to Alex. He could vaguely remember Alex coming to confront her. He’d been a wreck and had looked so scared.

And Tess had told him to go away. And Kyle had.

Kyle had abandoned Alex. He had vague memories of carrying him to a car. Of driving behind Tess. Of watching as she set up Alex’s car on the road.

For a moment it had seemed that Alex was alive. His body had perked up behind the wheel.

But his eyes were empty. Completely empty even as he started up the car and raced down the road.

Kyle could remember as Alex’s car speed out of sight.

And Tess had made him forget. Had given him a passionate kiss and tearfully apologized.

For everything.

And they had drove to the Crashdown to be with their friends.

They had just killed Alex and they went to set up their alibi.

I’m a murderer. So is Tess.

Kyle finished off the bottle of whisky. His eyes searched for more. He needed more. There had to be a point when it would take away the pain.

There had to be.

There was a knock at the door.

He had to get it. Maybe it was Tess. Maybe she had come to her senses. Come back to him.

Kyle staggered to the door. Managing to walk was a task of monumental proportions, actually reaching the door was a triumph.

It took Kyle a few minutes to remember how to open the lock.

It wasn’t Tess.

Kyle could feel as his heart broke yet again. He should have known better.

It was Liz.

“Pretty Lizzie. What can I do for you.” Kyle took another sip from the empty bottle. He looked down at it when nothing came out. He casually tossed it aside. And staggered back into the house. Looking for another.

Something to take away the pain.

“Oh, God Kyle. You’re drunk.”

Liz Parker. The first girl he had ever loved. Sure, not the first he’d ever lusted after. Or gone on a date with. But the first he had actually truly cared for.

Liz and Tess. Not a great tally for him. Why was it he could get the other girls, but not the ones he wanted?

What was wrong with him anyway?

Oh yeah. He was a murderer. He, Kyle Valenti had helped kill Alex Whitman.

He should probably turn himself in when Dad got home.

Only he should talk to Tess first.

He clenched his eyes in pain. Tess was probably moaning under Evans right at this moment.

Poor Lizzie. Poor Kyle. Both in love with heartless aliens.

“Kyle? Are you okay?”

Kyle had to think for a second. Was he fine.

Nope.

“Kyle, what is wrong. I don‘t think I have ever seen you this drunk.”

Kyle tried to turn around, to look at Liz. To confess everything.

Except he fell. His head clipped the coffee table.

The world went blank for a moment and pain rushed through his head.

He should get up and talk with Liz. A Liz who was talking to him right now. He couldn’t quite make out what she was saying.

Must not be important.

Liz seemed awfully frantic.

She was so pretty. Not as pretty as Tess, but still.

Kyle knew he should get up and reassure Liz that everything was okay. But it was so comfortable down here on the floor.

Kyle closed his eyes. And was at peace.

-------
Michael-

Michael stared down at Maria, easily reading the hope and doubt there.

She always let him see her. Always.

Would she be so open, so willing if she knew him? Truly knew him?

He couldn’t lose her. And when she saw, saw him, he was afraid of what she would say. Of what she would do.

Would she laugh at him? Would she pity him? Would she still love him?

He wasn’t much. He certainly wasn’t enough for a girl as fine as Maria. Surely she would see that, laugh at him and tell him to leave.

And that would kill him.

Michael closed his eyes. When did he become such a wuss.

“Michael, you said you needed to talk to me. So, what do you want to say. Are you, are you……” Maria’s voice sounding both anxious and nearing tears.

Michael opened his eyes and looked at her luminous green eyes. So very pretty.

She thought he was going to leave her. He could read it in her eyes. She expected him to rattle off a speech on how it would be safer for her to not be with him. That she would be better off with someone else.

All very true.

She would be better off with someone better than him. Someone who didn’t have an alien past with how many psychotic enemies just waiting in the wings.

But he had listened to Max. Had taken Max’s advice.

And Maria had still been attacked. Had still nearly died.

If he didn’t stay close, he couldn’t protect her.

And right now protecting Iz and Maria were the only things important to him. And Iz had powers to protect herself with.

Maria did not.

“What is it Michael. If you don’t spit it out I am going to hit you. What did you want to say! Your going to leave me. That is it, isn’t it?” Maria pulled away from him. “Well then, go, get out of here. I don’t need you. I’m better off without you!”

“You would be.”

“I knew it! I knew that you didn’t have the courage to…..”

“Shut up.”

“Excuse me? Did you just tell me to shut up? Why don’t you just….”

“Please Maria, please just listen to me.” Was he crying? Was he so weak that he would cry in front of her? Was he that much of a coward?

Yes. Yes he was. Because the cost of failure was so very high.

He could lose her forever.

Maria was silent, just looking up at him. Wonder and worry were mixed in her eyes.

He hadn’t lost her yet. Not yet.

“I’ve been thinking. About you. About us.”

“Note the date. This is history in the making.”

“Maria!”

“Sorry.” But mischief was lurking in her eyes.

“Its never been fair. I’ve never had to worry about you. I could just look at you and see. See if you were mad or see if you cared. I could always just look and see.:

“I see you…..”

“No. No Maria, you don’t. You don’t. I never let you really see me.”

“Michael, what are you talking about?”

“Do you remember, last year when Max and Liz were getting flashes? I know how much that hurt you, that you didn’t get them.”

“Michael, that’s not important to me any…..”

“Please, Maria, let me finish.”

“Okay.”

“Well, you should have. You should have. But I wouldn’t let you. I was too afraid. Because, because I never let anyone truly see me. No one. There are things inside, things I’m not proud of. But I want you to see me.”

“Why? Why now?”

Michael closed his eyes for a moment, cursing his inability to stop the tears still streaming down his face.

This was so hard.

He opened his eyes, “Because I almost lost you Maria. Because, I, because….” He swallowed.

SAY IT YOU DAMNABLE FOOL!

Tears were welling in her eyes as well. But they were not from grief or loss or pain. But the emotion that was pouring off of her, the intensity of it…..

It made him want to pull away. Made him want to hide.

But those days were over. For good or ill, his days of hiding were done. And he worked up the courage to finally say the words he’d been holding in. Things he had only told her when he was about to walk away or needed something.

Something he would only admit when he felt in control and safe. And he was neither now.

“Because I love you.”

And she kissed him.

--------
Isabel-

Isabel couldn’t help but watch as Michael tried to work up the courage to truly share himself with Maria.

God, she hoped he listened to her.

Isabel closed her eyes in remembered joy. Joy now mingled with pain, but joyous none the less.

And under her breath she whispered what she had told him when she had walked out of Maria’s room. “Its worth it. No matter what happens. It is worth it!”

If only she hadn’t wasted so much time…..

When she saw them kiss, she closed the bedroom door.

If Maria would react like Isabel thought she would react….. Well there were some things Isabel did not need to see.

She lifted her cell phone and dialed Max. No answer. Or from Tess. Nothing from the Valentis….

That left Liz. Memories of the scene that had played out in Alex’s house came back to her.

This was going to be hard.

Why did you have to die, Alex? Why now?

Isabel blinked away a few tears and dialed.

“Hello?” came Liz’s voice. Only it sounded like she was crying.

“Liz what is wrong? Where are you?”

“I’m at Roswell Memorial.”

“What? Why? Are you okay?”

“Its Kyle, he’s, he’s had an accident….”

The world froze. Turned to solid ice.

Not again. Not those words!

“Is he, is he….”

“He’s pretty bad, their looking at him right now. Isabel, I, I’m so scared.”

A complex mélange of emotions rolled through her. Rage and fear, grief and guilt. It all rolled through her.

Their presence had ruined their friends lives.

She absently rubbed her belly. Somehow that comforted her. Made her feel, not safe perhaps, but needed.

“Isabel?” Liz whispered worriedly.

“Stay where you are. I am coming.”

“Isabel you don’t have to, I mean….”

“Liz, they are picking you off one by one. You were right. They are out there and they are out to get rid of all the ones we love. Well…. IT. STOPS. NOW.”

Liz was silent on her end.

Isabel continued. “So stay were you are. I will be right there.” And she hung up.

She looked back at Maria’s room. She should tell them, should warn them.

No. She was not about to ruin this moment for them.

There had to be some light in the falling darkness.

She nodded to herself as she made her plan. She grabbed Michael’s keys and scribbled a brief note for them to call her when they were done.

And she left.

-------
Maria-

Maria felt as a wall she hadn’t even truly known was there was breached. And then it was gone.

And the flashes poured through her.

Michael arguing with Hank. Michael running from the lights of an oncoming car as Max and Isabel stayed., breaking free from his pod, all of it.

She saw all of it. All of him. All the loneliness and pain. All the pettiness and fear. The nobility and strength.

And laced through it all was her. Maria.

He loved her. He really did.

He didn’t quite know how to show it, but he did. It filled him.

And how he saw her……

She knew she was crying as they kissed, as she drank him in.

Kissing led to other things. Other very pleasurable things.

She felt his pain and discomfort as she stopped him. As she pulled away.

But it was important. Very important.

She had seven reasons to pull away. Seven small reasons lying under Isabel’s heart.

“I’ll be right back,” she said breathlessly. She took the moment to pick up and toss her blouse and bra into the hamper.

Michael just pouted and fell back onto the bed . His lips swollen and the bite marks on his neck showing prominently.

Maria ran a hand down his bare chest. “Really, I’ll be right back.”

She opened the door. God, what must Isabel think of her? Maria had completely forgotten about her.

On the table there was a note,

Glad the idiot took my advice. Be good to each other. And don’t do anything I wouldn’t do.

Love,
Isabel.

Ps. When you are done, call me. I’ll return Michael’s bike.

Maria grinned. She should have known Iz would read her right.

Now to finish and get what she had come for. She opened her mother’s room.

Good thing she wasn’t home.

She looked in one of the top dresser drawers and pulled out a box. Her mom was schizo on the whole sex issue. One moment issuing death threats if Maria engaged in it, other times saying how wonderful it was. And telling her that if she ever did have sex to be honest with her.

And to be safe.

Well she wasn’t sure if she was going to risk her or Michael’s life on the first, but if Isabel had proved one thing, it was that alien-human babies were a real possibility.

And with the seven Isabel was carrying, now was not a good time to add to their ranks.

So she took a few condoms and ran back to her room.

Tonight was the night.

And Michael was waiting.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Weathering the Storm (CC, MM, Mature) Part 11 - 08/15/09

Post by PML »

Thanks to everyone reading along this story.

nibbles2- Yes those babies are going to be causing trouble real soon now. Particularly as more people get to know. (Please remember that Isabel herself does not consciously know. That will change, very soon.)

As for the whole Michael scene... Well, there are a few scenes that just irked me. And Michael sleeping with Maria right before his ship is about to leave is one. Probably most because he didn't tell her. He still needed a harsh reality check to get him to see that he could lose her, to wake him up so to speak.

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended.

Weathering the Storm part 12

Isabel

Isabel swept into the hospital with all the subtly and patience of a hurricane.

Her friends were hurt. And she was done losing friends.

After Alex…. And nearly losing Maria tonight. No, she would not accept it.

She had called her mother to tell her where she was, and why. No reason to worry her.

And every reason for Isabel to make sure she was okay, that her parents were okay. And they were.

For now.

They had to find out what was going on and soon. But first to find Liz.

She found Liz holding Kyle’s hand softly talking to his comatose form. Isabel stopped and watched for a moment.

There had been a rumor that Liz had slept with Kyle last fall. Isabel had never bought it. But her brother had. And from what she could tell Liz had admitted it.

But Isabel was a good judge of character. And how they had acted towards each other had not changed. As she watched Liz talking to Kyle she paused to reconsider.

Then she remembered all the dreams she’d invaded to get a peek at Liz’s subconscious. The girl was as besotted with her brother as she’d always been. And she’d been carrying a growing martyr complex.

But for whatever reason she wouldn’t fight for him. She wanted him desperately, but Liz kept pushing him away.

Something was going on there. Isabel nodded. She could not longer just look down on the girl. Could no longer ignore the annoyingly smart girl.

Truth was she liked how Max had been when he’d been with Liz. Sure he’d been goofy and moonstruck, prone to doing stupid things to help Liz. But he’d been a much better brother. And a better leader.

Since he’d been hanging out with Tess, he’d become something of a ass.

Funny how much had been better before her friend had arrived in town. Sigh. One problem with getting flashes was the emotional impact from another’s point of view could skew your own. Maria might accept Tess but she still didn’t like her.

Isabel closed her eyes for a moment. Did she really want to do this. To tie herself to yet another person, one that she was so conflicted about?

She opened her eyes. Yes. Memories flickered behind her eyes of Liz as seen from Maria and Alex’s perspective. Liz was a valuable friend.

As far as Isabel could see the only way to make sure the humans lived was to circle the wagons. To accept them in. If they had done that, maybe, maybe Alex would still be alive.

What had Isabel missed? What had she not seen?

Whatever. Liz would add another set of eyes.

She studied Liz one more time before she joined her.

No. She would say that they were not lovers. Brother and sister was more like it. Close friends.

Well she would know the truth shortly.

Isabel walked up and said, “Liz?”

Liz looked back at her. Her face was sheathed in tears. “I can’t lose him too. Not after Alex. Where is Max?”

“I don’t know. How is he?”

“He has a pretty bad concussion and well, he’s still drunk.”

“Okay. What happened?’”

“I was looking for Tess actually. And Kyle opened the door. Only he was unbelievably drunk. I, I couldn’t leave him like that.”

“Do you love him?”

“Who Kyle? I…” Liz looked away. “I don’t want to talk about it. But we‘ve had on and off relationship.”

Isabel looked at the smaller girl. Funny. For as good as Liz had become at hiding the whole alien business in some ways she was still a hideous liar. The question was what she was lying about. That they were secretly hot and heavy, banging each other at every opportunity. Or that she was pretending that the rumors about her were true.

Isabel’s guess was that Liz was still a virgin. Probably hadn’t let any guy past second, if she let anyone get there. No, little Lizzie Parker was hiding something.

This must have driven her brother nuts.

They both sat there for a few moments. Listening to the various beeps and hums of the machinery around Kyle.

Isabel continued her questioning. “Why did you need to talk to Tess?”

“I wanted to find out how her power works. Something fishy has been happening with Alex. I mean, I’ve done some checks, talked with some of his friends and teachers. And….”

“You haven’t liked what you have found.”

“Its like he was a different person sometimes. Like his mind, his brain kept shorting or something. Mood swings, forgetfulness. I mean, he was never the best student, not like Maria, he didn’t actively hate school. But his grades could have been better if he’d worked harder.”

Says obsessed study and workaholic. Alex had been brilliant. A bit unfocused, but brilliant. It had been one of her several plans for him to find a focus of some sort. That and fix his dress style.

He’d had plans for her. Plans that she was working on even now.

To let others in. To let people who knew who and what she was and liked her actually be her friends rather than just acquaintances.

Of course, Isabel had never exactly been patient. So she planned on taking short cuts.

“Maybe. But he wanted to enjoy his teen age years. I mean, I know that he wanted to secretly be a rock star. But then he wanted to be a lot of things. And he tried them.” Isabel shrugged, “If what these people said is true, why didn’t we notice it.”

“Exactly. I’m not perfect. I know that. I’ve been a bad friend sometimes, caught up in my own problems. But this was going on since he came back. Did you ever notice anything?”

“No. And I should have. It’s why I reacted so badly at Alex’s house. Sorry about that.”

“No, I shouldn’t have come on so strong. I, I just feel responsible.”

“Why?”

Liz looked away again, “I don’t know. I just do. I mean, it is because of me he got involved.”

Partial truth. Liz wasn’t telling her everything.

Why? What exactly was Liz hiding? Liz might not know it yet, but the time for secrets was over.

Time to activate her plan.

“You know Liz, you really look horrible. When was the last time you ate something?”

“I, I don’t remember. Maybe, maybe last night. At your house.”

“Okay, well Kyle will probably be okay. He can’t really do anything, and who ever is messing with us seems to make people self destruct.”

“Isabel. Why do you believe me all of a sudden?”

“Because of Kyle. And because of Maria. That makes three accidents…..”

“Something happened to Maria? Is she okay? I….”

“Calm down Liz. She’s fine. Now. She’s in capable hands.” And the less I know what those hands are doing the better I will sleep tonight.

“What happened?”

“Maria misunderstood a conversation between me and Michael. She saw us in the eraser room. Having sex.”

“WHAT!”

“Liz, come on. Michael? And me? Not going to happen. The guys practically my brother. No, she saw something that wasn’t there.”

“Okay. Well maybe that explains her freak out on the phone when I called her. But still, I don’t see how that would make you believe me.”

“Liz, Maria tried to commit suicide. With a shard of glass in her tub.”

Liz was totally horrified. “I need to go. I need to see her. I need to make sure she’s…”

“Trust me Liz. She’s safe now.”

“Max healed her?”

“No. Michael did. I helped. Really, when I left there she was fine.”

“I should still call….”

“Uh, no. That would not be wise. She’s probably still busy.”

“By busy you mean.”

“Busy.”

“With Michael.”

“No with a broom stick. Of course with Michael. The daft idiot took my advice. He let those damn walls down and she melted in his arms. All he needed to do was trust her. To let her in. Which reminds me. We need to get you fixed up.”

“Why are you here, I mean really here?”

“Because I think you might be next. And I think you were right. Alex was murdered. By an alien. And I want to nail his hide or husk to the nearest wall. But to do that we need to do something that none of us has really done for a while.”

“What?”

“Trust each other. And we could talk about all of this all night long. And fence our way into trusting each other, but there is a much faster surer way.”

Liz pulled back. “No. I’m not going to do it.”

“Liz. Alex is dead. Maria was attacked. So was Kyle. You said it yourself, our enemies are still out there. If we don’t trust each other they will just pick us off one by one.”

“I can’t.”

“Liz, I know you have secrets. Secrets that you haven’t shared. And even after we’ve connected, I won’t know most of them. But there are things you have to know. To know about me and my past. And the best way is to show you.”

“I already know about Vilandra and….”

“You know some of it. But not all. Only Alex knew it all. And now Maria. And come to think of it, probably Michael by this point.”

“Oh God, the flashes. Maria will have flashes with Michael. He’ll know!”

“So at least you didn’t hold it all in. Well that is a start. But don’t be too sure, Maria hid some stuff from me it seems. Anyway, we are going to get something to eat and some coffee. And we will be back. But along the way we will stop at a restroom. And I will help you with your make up.”

“I can’t.”

“You can. And you will. And together we will nail this bastard to the wall. You told my brother you would do anything to find the killer. No matter the cost.”

“He told you that?”

“He was muttering how much you had changed over the last year. But if you really meant it, if you really mean to help me. Help us find Alex’s killer, then you will work with me. And I will work with you. Think of it not as having your secrets lost as bringing me up to speed on your investigation.”

“I’m going to regret this.”

“Maybe. But I doubt it.”

And they left.

-------
Max

Max could feel Tess’s warm body beside him. She was snuggled firmly against him and his hand was absently making soothing circles on her back.

Then why did he feel so cold?

She didn’t deserve this. Tess deserved more than what he had given her. Certainly the last time she’d been enthusiastic about the whole affair. And her cries had echoed through the alcove.

Max had cheated. She might have too. He wasn’t sure.

But for a moment during that last time he’d felt a deep passion that seemed absent now.

No embers left in that fire.

And Tess did not deserve him being cold to her.

Its just….

She wasn’t Liz.

Max sighed. It was late. At some point they should consider getting up. Certainly before anyone came into get the Observatory ready. Max had no clue when anyone might be by.

But Tess had been so tired. She’d woken up several times already.

Nightmares.

He’d calmed her down. She had seemed surprised to be in his arms. To be skin to skin with him. Happy but surprised.

And they would cuddle until she would fall back asleep.

His own nightmares had only woken him once.

He’d been careful enough not to wake her. He’d learned to be careful and quiet about it all.

No need to disturb Isabel or his parents with his weaknesses. Better to suffer in silence.

He just wished…. Wished that he could bring himself to open himself up to Tess. To let him see him, to let him see how screwed up he really was.

Maybe it was better this way. The connection he’d had with Liz hadn’t really helped as much as he had thought it would.

He could still feel her. Even now in Tess’s arms. He’d really been hoping that his actions, his irreversible actions would have caused it to go away.

He’d hoped his would kill his love for her like her sleeping with Kyle had worked for Liz. But no. He still loved her.

Maybe she still loved him somehow?

Max closed his eyes. How wrong could he be? He had just slept with Tess, had made love with her. And yet his mind still wandered to Liz.

Maybe it was a good thing he couldn’t bring himself to open up.

It’s not like he’d gotten much from her either.

He had just been expecting… more somehow. Something explosive. Something more like what he’d experienced with Liz last year.

They had been so close…. So very close…..

Max realized he was crying. And he couldn’t stop.

He pulled Tess closer, to drink in her warmth. But it wasn’t enough.

He wasn’t sure it ever would be. For she wasn’t Liz.

It wasn’t fair to Tess. It wasn’t fair at all.

But he couldn’t stop loving her. Even now, when he knew that Liz hated him and was forever beyond his reach. Even now.

Tess wasn’t Liz and that would never change.

Max stared at the sky and cried.

-----
Maria

Maria stared at Michael. Both of them were exhausted. And stiff and achy.

But wow. Just wow.

She felt as his eyes opened. As his mind flashed back into consciousness. For a moment they just stared at each other. She could feel everything, see everything.

It was like a feedback loop. He could feel her and she could feel him. She place her hand and brushed away a lock of hair that had slipped into his eyes.

And she felt it from both sides. As did he. This close, with so much of themselves touching they could literally feel everything. They were totally connected. And she was reluctant to move.

To lose her sense of him in any way.

“You know we are going to have to move, eventually.”

“Uh-huh. Just a little longer though. Please.”

“Okay. But I claim first shower.”

“Hey! Its my house.”

Michael kissed her. “Yes, but you will take longer than I will. And I can make us something to eat while you get ready.”

“Oh.” Her mind flashed to how Michael had found her…. Had it only been hours ago? It felt like ages.

“Yeah, and I can clean it up for you. I should go now.”

“No please just a few more minutes, please.”

“Okay.”

“You know we could do it together.”

“Nope. Too distracting. We’d never get clean. And if we don’t eat something I will collapse when were done . You need food, too.”

Maria snuggled more fully against Michael. “Just a few more minutes.”

“I’m so stupid I should have thought of this before.” He ran his hands along her body. Massaging her. Healing her aches and pains.

She stared at him. She couldn’t do the same for him.

He touched her nose. “Hush those thoughts, you heal me in entirely different ways. Alright. If I don’t go now I never will.”

“Please Michael….”

She reached out a hand, hoping to keep her connection to him.

She had just gotten it.. She didn’t want it to fade. Ever.

And as he smiled and pulled away she sighed in happiness. He was still there. She could still feel him. It wasn’t as intense. But he was still there.

He looked down at her. “Isabel was right.”

“Excuse me?”

“It is worth it.”

“Oh.”

“You know we still need to talk. About some of what I saw tonight.”

Maria wanted to hide. She could only think of a few things she’d ever really wanted hid from him. Isabel’s babies and Liz’s visit from Future Max. If he’d seen either of them.”

“Hey, Maria I am on your side. You and me. Together.” And he turned to take his shower.

There were still problems. Alex’s murder. Isabel’s babies. Tess and Max. Liz’s secrets and crazy attitude.

But that would be for tomorrow.

Tonight was just for them.

She wriggled her no longer achy body. Michael had better make sure whatever he made had a lot of calories.

They’d be burning them later.

Maria stared up at the ceiling and smiled.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Weathering the Storm (CC, MM, Mature) Part 12 - 08/23/09

Post by PML »

Thanks to everyone following along this story.

Eva- Hope you enjoyed your vacation! Thank you. Michael and Maria are on an upswing in this story. As for Kyle, well it remains to be seen how much he will remember. And poor Max. he is very messed up at the moment. And Tess is taking full advantage.

Nibbles2-Thank you. Isabel is a lot of fun to write. Here she is trying to live up to some of the promises she had made to Alex.

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine. Various allusions are made to much of the mid part of season two.

Weathering the Storm part 13

Isabel-

Isabel sipped at her coffee and looked at Liz.

Liz fairly exuded guilt and fear. “I really don’t want to do this.”

“Too bad. I don’t want you mucking around in my skull either. But Liz, we can’t afford a mistake. We need to find out who our enemy is and get rid of him.”

“I know, it’s just…. Don’t hate me, please Isabel. Promise me. Promise me you won’t hate me?”

My God, what is she hiding? What does she know?

No point in waiting.

“You know the drill, Liz. Look into my eyes and….”

Liz was shaking slightly, tears forming in her eyes. But she was willing. Isabel could tell that. There was a feel when someone was open for a connection, a sense of openness.

Liz really was willing to do anything to catch this killer.

Connection.
Flash- Liz dressing in lace curtain and pretending it was a veil, joy at the knowledge that Max would choose her.-End Flash
Flash- A man, so like her brother, but older. A Max, but not her Max. A Max from the Future. A Max who confirmed her worst fears. That by loving Max, that by being with him, she would take him from his duty. And doom his people. And hers. -
End Flash
Flash-Attempt after attempt to persuade Max failing, slowly filling her with guilt and despair. Even as she relished in the fact that it was the depth of his love for her that she was fighting. And that that love was winning. Fighting against it was killing her.
End Flash
Flash- Beyond despair of making Max give her up. Only option remaining is to make him hate her. Future Max eggs her on, while noting that he would not truly believe that Kyle was a threat.
End Flash-

-Isabel tried to break away. She so did not want to see this, did not want to believe that Liz would do this. Would deliberately hurt her brother like this.

But she couldn’t breakaway. It was rushing through her mind to fast, to strong….

Flash-
Liz laying in bed with Kyle, sharing a moment between two friends. A platonic moment despite their respective levels of undress. And then the feeling when Max saw them.

It seemed to stretch on forever.

Fear and guilt pour through her as she watched hope die in Max’s eyes.

And then the pain of a partially severed connection
End Flash-
Flash- Lying to Max yet again. The never ending need to push him towards his destiny. A destiny that will leave her alone, frightened, and in pain. Forever.

But the sacrifice had to be worth it. It had to be. She had given up too much for it not to.

End Flash-
Flash- Feeling a sense of closeness with Max after he had returned from New York. So proud that she had saved him. And he asks again, asks for what he said would be the last time.

And again the lie. Just a movement of the head.

But Max believes. He finally believes she had slept with Kyle.

She has won. He will never want her. And after he leaves she cried for hours.

End Flash.
Flash- A moment of weakness. The love she can not deny pushing her towards Max yet again. But her doubts and insecurities, her knowledge that no matter if they manage to carve a small place in this new world, she can not keep him.

She has to let him go. And she does.

And is shattered when she sees him kissing Tess.

She rushed to Sean Deluca, but while she likes him, while she is attracted…. He is not Max….

End Flash
Flash- Alex’s death. The crushing blow. And the realization that her love and life with Max might not be the only loss from the new timeline.

Her fault. All her fault.

She had caused it. She would fix it. To atone.

She couldn’t bring Alex back, but she could find out what had happened. What had happened to the bright soul that had attended her wedding in the other timeline. A man who should have lived at least a few more years.

One that had so much to live for.
End Flash-
Flash- Liz was in hell. No one believed her. Her friends hated her. And Max…. Max was gone, her Max was gone.

All her fault. All her fault.

Alex was murdered. She would find the culprit. And take the necessary actions. No matter the cost. No matter the price.

She would avenge him.

It was all she had left.

End Flash-
Flash- Continuing her investigation, letting it consume her. What matter the trifling conditions of herself, her grades or her health. They were unimportant.

Her hatred and envy of Tess rivals a exploding star, but she needs to know. Could someone have mind warped Alex? Could that explain some of what she has found.

She just could not believe Alex would actually kill himself. No it had to be wrong. But so much of what she had read, so much of what she has found…. No. Impossible.

Knocking at the door. Kyle drunk out of his mind. Watching as he fell as if in slow motion.

And the knowledge that she still had more to lose. That her heart could break just a little more…..

End Flash-

Isabel finally ended it. Her mind was full of the other girl, the present strongest, but echoes of her past. Of her life, her near death, and her love for her brother.

It colored everything. Liz’s love for Max colored every aspect of her life.

Liz loved Max more than life itself. She had destroyed him to give him and her world a chance.

Liz was freely crying, tears rolling down her cheeks. Who knew what she had seen in that timeless moment.

Isabel would have called back her hand if she could. It wouldn’t really solve anything. But the rage that coursed through her, the anger and regret would not let her stop.

Crack. Her hand stung.

Liz flew from the chair. A few others looked over at them. One man looked like he was tempted to intervene….

Isabel stood up and went over to Liz. Who just curled up as if preparing for another blow. As if expecting it.

As if believing she deserved it. And that it would and could happen at any moment. All that came out of her were wracking sobs.

Isabel picked her up. Her voice was gruff and thick with emotion. “Look at me Liz. It. Is. Not. Your. Fault. Do you understand me? Not your fault Liz.”

“But Alex would have….”

“Maybe. We don’t know enough about what might have happened.” And there was a lingering sense that something was wrong about the whole event. Some nagging thing that she would kick herself for not remembering.

She would just have to wait for it.

“I’m sorry.”

“You’re sorry? I’m the one who hit you.” Isabel sighed, “Come on. Back to our coffee. We need to make some plans.”

“Okay. So you really are going to help me?”

“Yes. But, Liz some things have to stop. First, you need to slow down a little. I want to catch this bastard as much as you. More maybe. But we can not afford to drag any official notice. I am sure that the councilors at school have noticed how you’ve been acting…. I mean you saw how much they were watching Alex, how much more do you think they are paying attention to you right now.”

“But then how?”

“All of us will take part, each of us doing a little. Come on girl, from what I saw you like making plans. Now we just need to factor our enemy into them. Maybe we can figure out who he is with what we already know.”

“Okay.”

“One more thing. My brother.”

Liz looked away.

“Liz. Look at me Liz.” Isabel looked intently at Liz.

Liz reluctantly met her gaze. “Do you love my brother?”

Liz’s voice was quiet when she said, “Yes.”

Isabel nodded. Truth. Like she needed to read that off of her. There were certain sureties in this world. Taxes. Sunrise. Death.

Max’s love for Liz. And apparently despite all of her self flagellation, Liz’s love for Max. Considering how much they regularly hurt each other…..

Sad.

Another project for Isabel.

There was only so much pointless stupidity and pain that she could take in the world, and her brother and his girlfriend had easily reached the maximum for both.

It had to stop.

Isabel’s lips quirked in a smile. Maria would help.

But first they needed to be safe.

“Okay. I just needed to know that.”

“No, no, no Isabel. You can not play matchmaker between us! He needs to follow his destiny…..”

“So, should I be rushing over and eliminate Maria so that I can have Michael to my self?”

“No, but….”

“But what? Michael is my counterpart, my so called destiny. I don’t buy it. And you can’t have it both ways. If Destiny needs to be followed then it needs to be followed. If not then not. You’re a reasonable rational girl. Do the math. And stop letting it feed off of your insecurities and need to be a damn martyr. Despite what people call you, you’re not perfect you know.”

“I know.”

“Then stop pretending you are. Gahhhh! You and Max! Let’s just leave it for the future, okay?”

Isabel noticed Liz’s eyes narrowing and looking at her intently. She then shook her head. “What!”

“Just my imagination running away with me.”

“Come on. We just spilled each others lives to each other. You can tell me.”

“Isabel…..”

“Liz, spit it out.”

“Okay, um, well, are you pregnant?”

Isabel sighed. She wished. She wished she still had a part of him with her. She paused and realized she was rubbing her belly again.

Strange. She hadn’t used to have that habit.

Unfortunately it was an impossibility.

“No. No I’m not.” She stood up. “Come on, Liz. Let’s go check on Kyle.”

And they left.

------
Michael-

Michael finished his shower quickly and went to fetch Maria.

A Maria who was softly snoring.

An angel. A snoring angel, but an angel.

And she was his.

He felt along the bond, making sure she was comfortable…. He softly draped a blanket over her. She reached for him, and cuddled up to his arm.

He felt as the bond deepened, as he felt more and more of her through the increased contact.

His stomach rumbled. He really needed something to eat.

He kind of needed his arm back. How to escape?

Michael searched along the room. He’d been here many times before, but he’d never honestly thought what had happened would have happened here.

He would never be able to look at this room the same. And the smells of her vials of oils…..

Michael smiled.

He saw a small dog stuffed animal, one that her mother had given her after her dog had died so many years ago.

Maria loved that poor battered stuffed animal.

Maybe he could get his arm back…..

Of course he could always just give in and curl up with her…… She might wake up and wonder if he’d actually made dinner like he’d said.

Plus, he really was starving.

So he used his powers to fetch the animal to him and placed it in her arms. She whimpered a little at the loss of strength in their connection, but remained sleeping.

That tiny whimper nearly broke his determination. He stood there wavering. “I love you, Maria.”

“Love you,” she said back sleepily. And she continued to snore away.

He chuckled and went to make dinner.

-------
Maria-

Maria was wandering again in the desert. It seemed familiar, but not overly so. It looked like some parts of the desert around Roswell. But she couldn’t be sure exactly where.

And again she saw the opening in the ground, so well hidden she nearly walked by it.

But she could feel it call to her.

The cave was different this time. There were no cobwebs, and the shadows seemed inviting. And there was a golden glow.

They were waiting. And they needed her. Needed what she could provide.

This time the cave seemed almost like it had all the unevenness planned out of it. And the rocks had been removed.

She stopped at the pool. And removed her clothes to reveal a skimpy bathing suit. And she stepped into the water. It was warm, blood warm. It tingled.

“Auntie Maria is here…..”

She felt as they awoke to her presence. She could feel their soft and happy minds greet her.

And she fed them.

She was lying back in the pool as they fed off of her when Alex appeared. She looked up at him, her face glowing with pleasure. “Come in, the water is great.”

Alex’s smile fell and he crouched down. “I can’t. I wish that I could, but I can’t. I’m, I’m….” Alex looked away, trying to hide a trail of tears.

Maria looked up at him with pity, “You’re dead.”

Alex merely nodded.

Maria reached up to comfort him…. But her hand went right through him. He really was a ghost. “I’m so sorry, Alex…..”

Alex turned to her, wiping off his tears. “It is just not fair! I want to be here, I want to, to…..”

“Yeah.” Maria looked around the cave. “Wait, I’m dreaming aren’t I?”

Alex nodded.

Maria looked again at the pool and got out…. And they were back in the Crashdown. She was back in her normal clothes. “Cool. So is this, like my dream or your dream.”

“Your dream.”

“So you are like, dream walking me?”

Alex shrugged. He was still obviously affected by his inability to do anything.

Maria focused and held his hand. It was her dream and she made the rules!

Right?

“Look Alex, I need to know. What is that cave?”

Alex looked at her. “It is called a Crèche. At least that is the best I could translate it to. The hybrids creators planned backup plan after backup plan. They had a method to allow the children of the hybrids to be born in complete safety, irrespective of their parents. To make sure the next generation would be there.”

“So Isabel’s babies, your babies…. They would be safe there.”

“Yes. And, and you will need to hurry. Isabel is carrying too many. Seven is, it is just too many.”

“Yeah that’s a lot of kids. Babysitting will be quite the chore. And my God, the cost just in diapers…..”

“Maria.”

“Yes Alex?”

“Can we focus here.”

“I am focused. I mean, these babies are going to be a lot of work.”

“She will need your help.”

“And she’ll have it. But I certainly hope that her super-fertility isn’t carried over to Michael. I mean, I want his children. But preferably one at a time.” She paused a moment, “I guess I could do twins, but seven?”

“Maria.”

“Oh, yeah. Focus.” Maria paused took a sip of her tea. It was perfect. “What exactly am I supposed to be focusing on?”

“The cave. The one with the pool. You have to find it.”

Maria nodded. It would be nearly impossible. You almost couldn’t see it unless you were right on top of it. “Well I guess if I had Michael help me we could find it in time.”

“Maria, this pregnancy will not be normal. It will last five or six months tops. You don’t have a lot of time. And the sooner you can find it the better. It will need to be repaired.”

“Okay. I need to find a hidden cave in the middle of the desert. And it has to be a special cave. And I have a strict time limit. Did I mention we have someone trying to have us all die by suicide? Alex, how am I supposed to do this?”

“I don’t know. I just know that she needs help.”

“Then why don’t you tell her? I mean surely she would know.”

“I can’t. She’s actively denying it. I couldn’t tell her if I wanted to.” Alex paused and took an experimental sip of orange soda. He smiled and drank. He was swirling around an ice cue in his mouth, a thoughtful look on his face. He chewed up the ice cube. “Michael might know.”

“What? How?”

“I don’t know! I just know things. I can’t explain it. I think I knew some of it when I was alive, that I might have known too much. I just don’t know how I know, but Michael…. Yes, he is the key to find that cave.”

Maria concentrated. Which was strange in a dream, but whatever. Why and how would Michael know more than the others….. Her mind went over all the flashes she’d recently gotten. All the essence of her lover.

When she remembered a map. A map that only Michael knew how to read.

One that he had abandoned after a failed attempt to contact Nasedo.

Only…. Only…. What if that map wasn’t about where and how to contact Nasedo.

What if it had been where various alien artifacts had been placed. The map had lead them to the library. The library that the Book had been hidden in.

“I think, I think I might have an idea. But I need to talk to Michael first.”

“Okay.”

Maria gasped as she remembered. She wasn’t supposed to be sleeping! She was supposed to take the second shower. Michael was going to fix a dinner.

And then she was going to seduce him again. Not that she expected that would be hard.

“I need to wake up!”

Alex walked over and….

Maria gasped. She was awake. And naked, only a blanket warming her. She pouted slightly. Why hadn’t Michael joined her?

She got up and opened her door. The TV was on ESPN and Michael was deep asleep.

Part of her wanted to walk over and join him on the couch. She was still tired and a little of cuddling would not be out of order.

Plus he might wake up and they could put their time to more productive use.

School was going to be killer tomorrow. She was going to be so very tired.

And happy. Tired but happy.

Fair trade.

And she would have joined him, except that she felt kind of dirty. She really needed and wanted a shower.

Okay, shower first, then cuddle time. And maybe some dinner.

She yawned and put her plan in order.

-------
Tess

Tess woke up. It was late. And she was sore.

And she was alone.

She lifted her body out of the sleeping bag. Max’s clothes were gone.

Had he just left her there?

She let herself collapse back down onto the floor. This whole experience had been quite pleasurable on the whole.

Max had lacked a certain amount of passion for her. She’d actually had to cheat the last time, to make him make love to her one more time.

For she knew that Max’s heart still belonged to Liz.

Damn that girl!

Various violent fantasies played out in her mind of Tess torturing the annoying human to death. She just would not go away.

And Liz had become resistant to the more subtle forms of mind warping. Still, maybe…..

Tess sighed. She had won that particular fight. Max’s body was hers. And most of his mind. But how to win his soul? How to win his heart?

Well her current plan would keep his body and mind firmly in her camp. For a long time if not forever.

If she had done everything right she would be pregnant within the next twenty-four hours.

Game. Set. Match. Tess Harding.

Max was too consumed with duty, with doing the right thing to abandon his pregnant girlfriend. Even if she wasn’t the one he loved.

He would make the best of it. And it time, in time he would love her.

She was certain of it. She wouldn’t even have to use that much mind warping. Just condition him, make him forget her.

Make Liz a fond memory. A childhood crush. And nothing more.

Tess smiled.

It would help if she could get rid of Liz. To remove the temptation all together.

But Tess wasn’t a killer. Oh, she could see some easy ways she could cause Liz trouble. And if worse came to worse she could always use them.

She needed to find Liz a boy friend. Tess’s smile quirked up, or a girl friend. Just something to make Max less likely to look at Liz in that way. If Tess had to, she would let them remain friends….

Tess heard footsteps. She wasn’t worried. If it was Max, no problem. Some other human? Well, she’d just mind warp them.

And if it was Max, well there was the need to condition him. To make her need and want only her body.

She used her powers to heal some of the aches and pains, heal some of the soreness. To be ready. She unzipped the sleeping bag, her nipples hardening at the sudden coolness.

Max came around the corner. His demeanor was a little defeated, a little depressed. But his body showed a certain sign of attraction. “Tess, we should go. The Sheriff will probably be waiting….”

Tess was not worried about the Valentis. They were putty in her hands.

Right now she felt so good, so confident, that she could handle anything.

And she wanted Max. Again. So she got up and walked over to him. She kissed him, pressing her body firmly against his.

And his body responded.

She might not have completely won him over, but this was a start. She sent a few threads of power into his head. And his kisses became so much more urgent, much more demanding.

Her plans for the conquest of Max Evans were still not complete, but she already knew the outcome.

Max was hers. And with it so very many possibilities……

Time to celebrate her victory.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Weathering the Storm (CC, MM, Mature) Part 13 - 09/01/09

Post by PML »

Thanks to everyone reading along. Also a note, like several other authors I am donating my services to the Support Stacy drive. So if you are interested, please bid on one of us.

I should note that this very story is from one such auction. Thank you all again.

Eva- Isabel and Liz's connection was a little painful for them both. But needed. They are all going to need to be there for each other.

Alex can't do much, but he is doing what he can.

As for Tess, she is evil. But she does not see herself as evil. If she sat back did a quick tally on the amount of damage she has done to them she would be horrified. But that would require her to actually see the humans as people....

nibbles2- Yes. The protection of the future generations of Royals, should it become neccessary is the purpose of the Creche. And more. But we will get to that later.

Thank you.

DeDe PR- I am glad you are enjoying it. And the point you bring up with Max is a problem, one that might well become dangerous.

Weathering the Storm part 14

Kyle-

Kyle lay there in his bed at the hospital. They were keeping him for observation for the next day or two. He had hurt himself pretty badly. And all the alcohol hadn’t helped.

And he could remember none of it.

Nothing. Like a day had been erased from his life.

Why did he feel that remembering was important? That he needed to know what had happened.

Maybe because Liz and Isabel had drilled him mercilessly about it before being told to go home.

Not that he had minded their company. So pretty the both of them. And they cared for him, he could tell. Just the fact that they had been there, that they had stayed with him until told to go…..

That was more than he could say about his normal ‘family.’

He had forgotten what it had been like when his father was Sheriff. Forgotten what it was like to be second or third priority. His father had come by, had shown up eventually. But he couldn’t or wouldn’t stay.

Kyle was okay, wasn’t dying. And he had other things to do.

Tess had never shown. Then again, it had been late….. Surely she would have if she had known, if she had been able.

Or not.

He had never really been able to figure her out. And he was confused by what he felt for her. She was like a sister to him…. That was how he felt.

Sometimes.

But the dream he had just woken from was anything but sisterly. Caressing her bared breasts, running his hands along her inner thighs, even bringing her to climax.

It had felt so real. A dream, but so very real. He could still feel her silky skin, the smell of her, her taste….

He’d had dreams like this before, about quite a few women. But never this vivid. Never this real. Or as detailed.

But it called into question how he felt for her. How he still felt for her.

As is sister. Sort of.

Was there something wrong with him? Had the blow to his head warped him somehow. Certainly his head pounded with pain.

And there were other things. Something to do with Alex. Something important for him to remember. Something that hurt like a bed made of razors, but something he needed to know.

And it was just out of reach.

So he meditated on Tess instead. How and when had his feelings changed? He could still almost remember their conversation in Vegas. Remember their heated plans, before they got crushed by his father showing up to drive them home.

So why did he also remember dancing with her silently, with only a small kiss on the cheek afterwards.

It was like one memory overlaid another. But he couldn’t remember which was the real memory.

Why? And how?

Kyle closed his eyes and whimpered. It hurt to concentrate, to pick apart his memories. It hurt too much. It was important, but it would have to wait.

Isabel and Liz might just want him to help them, to find and destroy Alex’s killer. Assuming they were indeed right that it hadn’t just been an accident. It could be they just wanted to use him for their plans like Tess had…..

Wait, why did I think that?

I am so confused.

Kyle shook his aching head and tried to clear it. Thinking was just too hard, too painful.

But it did not change the fact that Isabel and Liz had shown that they cared for him. They had been there. While Tess was… was…. No….

He didn’t want to remember that. But it was burned on his brain, the memory of Tess and Max.

Together.

So confused.

Kyle stared up at the ceiling, trying to still the memories, to dim the pain. But it wouldn’t go away.

And his memories were so chaotic. Like bits and pieces were lies. They had to be, because he could remember the same event different ways.

When the nurse came in to check on him, he was still awake. Still in pain. And trying to somehow put the last year into some cohesive order.

To try to somehow figure out why and how his feelings for Tess had changed.

--------
Liz-

Liz’s dreams were troubled. But for the first time in much too long she could sleep.

Talking with Isabel had been therapeutic, curing a little of her self hate. And it was good to have someone else know about Future Max.

To have another friend to confide in.

But she could feel that Isabel was going to cause trouble in the future. She really seemed to think that Liz had made a mistake regarding her brother.

Isabel was an odd combination of cynic and romantic. She expected that people would look out for their interests first and foremost, and yet always wished and wanted to be proven wrong.

Somehow the girl had taken the whole situation between Liz and Max and made a whole issue about it. Isabel was in her corner.

And no matter how hard she had tried to tell Isabel that there was no way that Max could ever forgive her, she would just smile and tilt her head slightly.

As to Isabel’s own insecurities…. Liz had never believed that Isabel had ever been that vulnerable. She’d always seemed to be a cold-hearted bitch. As far as Liz had been concerned Isabel had too often earned her nickname as the Ice Princess….

But to see it all from the other side. To see what Isabel had actually felt and saw….. To be afraid of everyone, even yourself…. Perhaps mostly yourself.

Watching as her greatest fears became true, as Max was captured and tortured in the White Room. As her suspicions and fears that she was responsible for their deaths’ on Antar were proven true in her mind by Whittaker….

And Alex. Her feelings about him were so strange and yet familiar.

Familiar in that they had been sparked to a deep flame by the insight of the others feelings for them. The idea of Isabel popping into their dreams on a regular basis was kind of scary, really.

But the image of a pajama wearing Isabel watching Alex woo a dream Isabel. And to say words that Isabel had so desperately wanted to hear…..

From that moment on Isabel had been pushing Alex away as firmly as Liz had pushed Max. Each different in their own way, but as destructive to their true love.

For somehow Alex had seen the real Isabel. The tightly bound wire of neuroses and perfectionism.

And loved her. He had accepted her as she was.

But that had not been the thing that had won her over in the end. The part that had finally made her want to love him back.

He told her the truth as he saw it. He didn’t lie to her.

And given all the chaos of the last year, given how unsettled and uncertain she was, it was just what she needed.

Liz stared at the ceiling blinking back tears.

Honest and courageous Alex. How she missed him.

How Liz could just kick herself for all the times she’d tried to belittle Isabel to Alex. To deny what he had seen and she had not.

Alex had been right. There was much more to Isabel than her frigid outer shell.

We will avenge you Alex. You died much too young. And we will find out who did it.

I swear it.

Liz got ready for school.

------
Max-

Max had been out driving all night.

He had expected to be in trouble when he dropped off Tess at three in the morning. But the Sheriff wasn’t there.

One potential nightmare avoided.

He almost wished he could have seen Kyle, to rub it in.

Just as well he hadn’t been there either. Max wasn’t feeling to good about himself at the moment. That might have made it worse.

He had used Tess. He still wasn’t sure how it had escalated so far so fast. But it had. And while he cared for her, he wasn’t sure he loved her.

In fact, somehow his heart still belonged to Liz. He was afraid it always would.

Max sighed. Well he no longer had the moral high ground on her now. Had made the same mistake, the same casual affair that it must have been to her. How else could you explain how Kyle and Liz had never seemed to be together after that.

Kyle had stuck up for her at the wake, but no more than he probably would have anyway. Liz certainly hadn’t minded Kyle’s endless pursuit of Tess.

No. It had to be a bout of teenage insanity. And to be honest, he didn’t really know if Kyle and Liz had been seeing each other on the sly during that period. Maybe. Liz had certainly been pushing Max away.

Didn’t quite add up, but maybe….

Max mentally castigated himself. He had slept with Tess. More than once.

And she loved him. That was the true hell here. Tess loved him. And had always been there for him. Unlike Liz.

And here he was thinking about Liz. Even mentally toying with the idea of trying to win her back somehow.

Like that would work. Even if Liz started to seem to crack, to start to care, she would reverse herself and push him away.

Max really wished he understood why.

But he didn’t.

Max sighed. So at least for now he was stuck with Tess and Destiny.

Tess. A beautiful blonde who was so different now than she had been when she had first entered their lives. Then she had seemed mysterious and manipulative. But somewhere down the line she had opened up. She’d been the only one to support him in everything. To treat him with respect.

And he needed that. He really needed that. Because he felt like his life was falling apart. And Tess was like a rock in supporting him.

None of the others were really there for him. Even Maria seemed like she was hiding something from him.

Didn’t any of the others realize how close to the edge he was? Couldn’t they see how much he needed them? Did they want him to beg?

No. It was no use to think about Liz. He was with Tess now.

He really should clean up before school.

Isabel was waiting for him. A mug of coffee sat before her. Her expression was troubled. “Well look what the cat dragged in. Its been a fun filled exiting night. Where the hell have you been?”

“Well good morning to you Isabel, too.”

“Whatever. We needed you last night. We needed you and you weren’t there. So where exactly were you?”

“I, I was with Tess.”

Isabel’s eyes tightened briefly before widening. “My God! You slept with her.”

“I, I. Yes.”

“Do you love her?”

Why should Isabel care? She certainly had never cared what Max had thought of any of her boyfriends. “I’ve been hanging out with her for a little while, and we’ve been getting closer, and…..”

“So not really. Boy, sucks to be Tess. Got to tell you, I never saw you as a player. Does Tess realize that you don’t wholeheartedly share her desire for Destiny? Or were you just looking for an easy score?”

“Isabel, it isn’t like that. Tess has been there for me. She would never betray me.”

“Unlike me, traitorous little Vilandra. Well, whatever, I’m glad you got your rocks off and shed your virginity. I just hope you were careful and didn’t get her pregnant. The last thing any of us needs is for one of us to be pregnant.”

“I, uh.”

“Great. A toss of the metaphorical dice. Just terrific. You know, when you find my conscientious and prudent brother locked somewhere in that thick skull, please be sure to tell me. We could really use his help.” Isabel got up and began some stretching exercises. “Hopefully you can find him before I get back from my run.”

“Wait!”

“What is wrong?”

“Besides the fact that my brother is a careless moron? Well let’s see. Oh, his great love life advice to Michael. It played right into the fools insecurities and weakness’s, good job. Only thing you forgot is how utterly protective and possessive Michael can get. So it was an easy job for yours truly to convince him that he shouldn’t squander the opportunity life had given him.”

“Isabel, the humans are safe without us…..”

“Don’t you dare interrupt me. You don’t have the right at the moment. Anyway, I managed to persuade him to talk to her. Good thing too. You see Max, Maria was attacked.”

“Is she…..”

“She nearly bled to death. In her bath tub. By slashing her wrists with a piece of glass. Attempted suicide. Except that it wasn’t.”

“I need to see her, you have to believe that I wouldn’t let her die. Not Maria.”

“Oh, but it gets better. Kyle’s in the hospital. Nearly drank himself to death. If Liz hadn’t dropped by the Valenti’s he might have. Instead he fell and hit his head. Nearly cracked his head open. Notice a pattern?”

“Where is Maria? You said Kyle is in the hospital but you didn’t say where Maria was?” His heart beat a little faster. She had been there for him this summer. Had kept him from falling apart while he had done the same for her.

“She is fine. Better than fine. And it is about time. Our lives are too damned dangerous. No need to waste time. Between Michael and I, we fixed her up. Busy night. So did you spot the pattern or are you further gone that I thought?”

“What pattern?”

Isabel looked away and nodded. She turned to face him, her eyes were both hard and bright with tears. In a tight voice she said, “Suicide. Does that sound vaguely familiar. You know, tall lanky guy. Possible love interest to that girl who is always hanging about your house? The one who you occasionally call ‘sister’ Does any of this ring any bells in your head? Or is it completely empty?”

“It just proves that we are a disruption in their lives. That they would be better without us.”

Isabel shot him a disbelieving look and shook her head. “Did you listen to me at all? Whatever. When you are done washing Tess’s sweat from your body, please take a careful look into the mirror. See if you can find my brother in there. We need him right now.” She looked away again and started walking towards the door. Her voice was choked with emotion, “I miss him so.”

Max walked over to Isabel and grabbed her wrist as she opened the door.

The look on her face was indescribable. Tears were streaming down her face, but the look of concentrated fury….

“Get your hands off me or I will rip them off.”

Max let her go and watched as she began to jog.

-------
Michael-

Michael was sore and tired when Maria shook him awake. “Maria, leave me alone.”

He didn’t question who it was. Even with his eyes shut he knew it was her.

“Wakey, wakey sleepy-head. Time to get up for school.”

“I’m not going.”

“Oh, you are going. We might argue about it, but you will be going. Plus of we don’t hurry, we won’t have time for a shower.”

Michael opened one eye. Judging by the light coming through the windows it was still early. It usually only took a few minutes for him to get ready. And he really needed the sleep. “Relax, we have plenty of time. Besides I took a shower last night.”

He closed his eye and settled back into a comfortable position.

“Yes, but you were missing something. And I’m sure you missed a few spots.” Maria was running her hands up and down his body.

“Maria….”

He felt her warm breath next to his ear, “Don’t you want to take a shower with me, Spaceboy?” She nibbled a little on his exposed ear….

Michael rolled over and picked her up and carried her to the bathroom.

She was giggling and reaching her arms up to get a better purchase to kiss him.

Sure he was tired, sure he was achy, but he was not a fool. And this was too good an opportunity to waste.

Who knows, maybe he could convince her that they needed to skip school?

-------
Tess-

Tess slept well almost ignoring her alarm.

There was just enough time to get ready so that she could meet Max for breakfast. Surely he would meet her there like he had been doing.

It would be a pity if their lovemaking had made other aspects of their life awkward. They would be spending an awful lot of time together from now on.

Now to see if she had been successful last night. It was a little early, but the Book gave a very high probability for rapid fertilization.

She placed her hands over her abdomen. Nothing.

Tess sighed. Well, it wasn’t like she’d mind having sex with Max again. Not at all. She planned on doing it as much as she could.

Max was hers.

It was just a baby would chain him to her. Be an insurance policy that she could trust.

Max was such a boy scout.

She took out the book to check to make sure she had tested herself right. And sighed. The signature she was looking for would likely be too weak for at least another twelve hours, assuming she was pregnant right now.

She wouldn’t be sure until later on tonight, or tomorrow.

Well that was okay. It wasn’t likely anything could happen in that time frame to disrupt her plans.

She did find it strange that Kyle wasn’t there, but she gave it no heed. She had to hurry.

It was almost time for breakfast with her once and future husband.

-------
Maria

Maria felt really, really good. A little tired maybe, but not much.

She just wished she could heal Michael too. Maybe he would be less stiff and cranky.

Still he had put up a bravura performance this morning. She smiled softly, maybe that had been his problem with getting up for school before….

He’d never had the right wake up call.

Maria daydreamed of dropping by his house early every morning. She’d tell her mom she was meeting someone for breakfast.

Maria wasn’t sure how she was going to hide this from her mother. She certainly had no plans to give Michael up no matter what she said. She closed her eyes and turned slightly. And saw him.

That was just so cool. And the closer he got the more intense it got. And when they touched….. Simply magic.

And she used to think his kisses were explosive.

“Have a good night?”

Maria whirled to face Liz. “You could say that.”

Liz’s face turned serious, “I am so sorry I kept blowing you off. I was a horrible friend. I just, just didn’t feel like I had time to grieve. But I should have seen that I was acting kind of crazy, shouldn’t have pushed you so hard.”

“Well, you were right about Alex. And I nearly was next.” Maria shuddered. The moments before Michael and Isabel had revived her were still shadowy. She could not understand what she had been thinking. Spaceboy was wonderful, but she wasn’t about to kill herself over him.

Die for him, sure, if she had to. But kill herself over him? She could envisage him doing something so stupid she wanted to die….. But no, suicide was just not her style.

She was quite well aware that they would have problems. That there would be arguments, that he would do something asinine or she would do something flaky. It was inevitable. It was who they were.

But they would make it through.

Maria looked at Liz. Her face was a mask. Liz believed in hiding her emotions. But Maria was just as skilled at reading her friend.

Her friend was hurting.

Maria looked up and saw Max and Tess walking into school. They seemed close.

Maria patted her friend on the back. What could she say? This is what Liz had been working toward. Maria thought it was selfless and stupid, but she would help her friend as much as she could.

Maria did not hear Isabel join them. “Disgusting isn’t it?”

Liz looked up at Isabel. “Is it too late?”

Isabel shrugged. Her eyes were very hard. “It certainly won’t be easy. But if you think I disapproved of you, you haven’t seen anything yet.”

All of them looked at Max and Tess, who seemed oblivious to them.

Tess reached up for Max’s hand.

There was a slight pause before Max grasped Tess’s

Liz sobbed.

Maria kept rubbing Liz‘s back. “Is there something I am missing here?”

Isabel’s voice was harsh. “I want my brother back. That bitch stole him. And I want him back.”

“Wait, I thought she was your friend.”

“She was. Until I really got thinking last night. She has played us all like a violin. She is Destined to be my friend you see. God, I was such a fool. But now I have seen what she is like through not only both of your eyes, but also through Alex’s. She has manipulated us thoroughly.”

“You think she mind warped us.”

Isabel’s laugh was bitter. “She didn’t have to. She is bad for him.”

Liz spoke up, “You know we need her. You saw.”

“Maybe. I’m not convinced. No there was something funny about that whole situation. We’ll deal with that once we pin our enemy to the wall. And then Liz here is going to try to coax the real Max out of whatever hole this new Max has hidden him in. I’ll take soppy love-struck Max over evil bastard Max any day. I presume I can count on your help, Maria.”

“You have it.” Maria looked over at Liz, did she know about Isabel’s babies? Well they would get to that later.

She still needed to talk to Michael about all of it.

Isabel stuck out her hand.

Maria added hers.

As did Liz.

Maria shivered as Isabel sent a pulse down both of their arms.

She looked at both of them, “We need to stick together. I may not be Alex, but count me as another Musketeer. Now lets go pretend to be normal so we can float under the radar.”

“And avenge Alex.”

“And recover my brother.”

Maria looked over at Michael who was staring back at her. She added her wish. “And live happily ever after.”

Both Liz and Isabel smiled at her.

And hand in hand the three walked into school.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Weathering the Storm (CC, MM, Mature) Part 14 - 09/10/09

Post by PML »

Thanks to everyone reading this story.

DeDe PR- Yep, the girls are working together. And they have the shadow of a plan.

Eva- Thanks. This Isabel is determined to make up for lost time.

nibbles2- Thanks. Tess has a few more tricks up her sleeves, but time is running out for her.

liason- Thank you. Max is quite simply broken. Can he be fixed? Can he call back a portion of what he was? Good question.

Weathering the Storm part 15

Tess

Tess’s earlier elation had faded. Walking into school hand in hand with Max, claiming him as hers…. That had been special.

It had made her feel like a Queen.

But now, in second period, Tess could feel Liz Parker’s eyes boring a hole in her head. Why did Tess care? She had Max.

She had Max and Liz didn’t.

Only…. Max didn’t love her. Not really. Oh Tess had managed to seduce the boy, to win him over. But Tess knew that that small brunette behind her carried his crushed heart in her pocket.

And it made her want to scream!

Why wasn’t she, Tess Harding enough for him? Why did he care for that little mouse?

But he did. And until Tess knew for certain she was pregnant, she could not be sure that Max would stay hers.

A baby would bind him to her. An heir to the throne. And he would be hers forever.

The bell rang and Tess hurriedly grabbed her books and made a rush for the door. Liz caught up to her.

“Hey, Tess, can I talk with you for a moment?”

Tess halted briefly after leaving the room and turned to face her nemesis. “Sure, I can spare a minute. But make it fast, I want to meet with Kyle in third period.”

“You don’t know?”

“Know what?”

“Kyle is in the hospital. Concussion. It’s partly why I needed to speak with you.”

Tess took a step in Liz’s direction, “Is he okay?”

“He’s pretty banged up, but the doctors said he would be fine. Just needs a little rest. Their keeping him to make sure there aren’t any complications. The alcohol in his system did not help.” Liz took a deep breath, “Look this isn’t easy for either of us. Please, we need a little privacy. It’s a Czech issue.” Liz walked away.

Tess glared after the girl. Tess hated the whole ‘Czechoslovakian’ term. It was stupid. The country hadn’t existed for years! Subtle it wasn’t.

Tess followed her. Might as well find out what was going on. Maybe she could spin it to her advantage.

For a moment Tess felt a horrible feeling, like a heavy weight on her soul. One of the few people she actually cared for was in the hospital and she was wondering how it would benefit her.

When would she actually be in control of events for a change? When would she stop feeling like her life was teetering on the razors edge?

Tess shook her head and joined Liz, “What?”

“Real quick, I need to know how you can tell if someone is being mind warped.”

Tess looked at Liz. Surely she wouldn’t be asking if she actually suspected…. No, not even Liz was that bold. “Why?”

“I think Maria and Kyle were attacked last night.”

“Huh? What would give you that idea? And what makes you think I am going to help you on this pathetic crusade. Alex just couldn’t hold it together.”

Liz nodded. “I think you are right about that….”

Tess’s jaw dropped….

“But I think he was helped. Maria tried to commit suicide last night. And she’d be the last one to do something like that.”

“I don’t know, you said the same with Alex. Maybe she had deeper feelings that you knew for him.” Not for the first time, Tess absolutely hated that she couldn’t work her magic on Liz. Somewhere over the last year she’d developed an immunity.

A damn shame. Because the last thing she wanted Liz to be looking for was if someone had been manipulating Alex.

Tess knew she was fairly good at hiding her tracks, but no one was perfect.

“No way. I could see her maybe running away. She has an aunt in California. I can see her giving up on Roswell, but never on life. Trust me on this, I’d be more likely to commit suicide than she would.”

If only! That would solve so many things!

Tess entertained a couple of ideas, dark ideas that lingered in the back of her head. No, no, she couldn’t do that…. Not even to Liz…..

But the idea still sang its siren song.

Maybe…..

Tess looked at her watch, “If you asked me, your little friend is highly unstable. Mercurial, prone to rash actions she’d later regret.”

Liz’s eyes tightened, “You do not know her. I do. Trust me. Never. Not unless pushed.”

Tess shrugged.

Liz all but snarled, “Are you going to help me or what?”

“Look, mind warps are simple. It makes you see something that isn’t there. You’ve all seen me use them. That is all there is to it. Nothing special.”

“So could you alter memories?”

Getting much to close for comfort. “Not that I’m aware of. Maybe short term stuff. You know something that was happening just then. It’s not like reprogramming someone’s brain you know? It is more like just focusing an image, making them see what you want them to see rather than what is there. And that is it.”

“But someone, maybe with more practice…..”

Tess shrugged. Now this could be useful…. If they did think someone was mind warping them somehow, maybe she could keep them looking for red herrings.

It was so easy to ignore the easy but painful truth.

Liz nodded and turned to go.

Tess couldn’t resist trying to rattle the girl. She seemed too composed, driven but not obsessed. Something had calmed her down.

Not good. She might see something Tess did not want her to. Time to stir the nest.

“I’m with Max now.”

Liz gave her a puzzled look, “Yeah. Great. Do you want a cookie?” Liz remained cool as a cucumber.

“He slept with me last night. It was glorious.”

Liz’s eyes flashed with sudden anger and pain. “Good for you. Nice to see you are finally making friends. But Max and I aren‘t together. So it‘s his life.” Liz paused, “Of course, I used to think he had taste.”

Better. Anger was better. People made mistakes when they were angry.

“Oh he does. Finally. No longer bothering with a stupid human. You were never worthy of him. And the feel of his hands caressing my breasts, running along my thighs….. The sound of his voice crying my name.” Tess’s face flushed at the cherished memory.

Liz’s face became very calm. Almost serene. She stepped up to Tess and said quietly. “It seems I made a mistake. I used to think you were right. That I wasn’t worthy of him. And I let you have him. I wrapped him up like a present for you. I let you and your damned Destiny have him. May he forgive me for it…..

I’m not sure if I will. What I have done, what it has cost me….. None of that matters now. Isabel was right. You are bad for him. And I will see that he knows it.”

“It is too late for you, Liz. He is mine now.”

“We’ll see. But despite what you may think, despite what he may think, you do not own him. He owns himself. And if it is too late for he and I, well that is just what I will have to live with. But Max is not a toy, Tess, not a possession. He is a person. A leader. And it is time he was reminded of it.”

“He is a King….”

“Maybe to you Tess, maybe to you. To me he is just Max. And I will help him regain himself. Good bye Tess. I hope you cherish last night, cherish what I let you take from me.”
Tess watched her nemesis go. Maybe. Maybe she would have to do it after all.

------
Maria

Michael kissed Maria’s neck, as she breathlessly tried to tell him about Future Max and Isabel. And Alex’s ghost.

Both of them were unwilling to go too far here at school. But an intense brief make out session…. Well what better activity between second and third period.

She wished she didn’t have a test next period. She’d love to just stay here. She had told herself that she wasn’t going to let herself get too caught up in Michael.

She had a mission. A mission!

What was it again? Oh, yeah, she had to tell Michael about everything…..

But he was so distracting….. His lips met hers, and all thoughts of telling him about the Crèche fled her mind.

The warning bell rang. Maria reluctantly pulled away. “We need to go. I can’t be late.”

She could feel his reluctance through the bond. “Maria….”

“No, Spaceboy. I will see you after fourth. We’ll have more time then. Lunch, and then an assembly…. Who needs school spirit this late in the year?”

Michael grinned and gave her another quick kiss.

Maria sighed and reached for the door. Michael could feel her stiffen as she opened the door.

Some pointless jock slammed into a near by locker. Max stood nearby, shock written all over his face.

“See you later Space Boy. I have work to do.” Maria walked over and grabbed Max. And pulled him towards the same room she and Michael had just left.

Michael stood there, “Hey, I thought you had class?”

“I’ll deal with it in a minute, you try to calm down Isabel.”

Michael gulped and chased after the tall blonde.

Max was just blinking at Maria. Still stunned from whatever had just happened. He was holding some brochures and pamphlets.

Maria looked at him and closed the door, “Okay, girlfriend, talk. What just happened.”

“I don’t know.”

“What do you mean, you do not know. I know you and Isabel have been arguing lately….”

“I didn’t want to lose her. I, I said I would do anything….. And, and now I have. She’s gone. She’s….. Gone. Like Liz, like…..”

“Max, Isabel is your sister. She loves you.”

Max shook his head slowly. “Not now. What have I done. She threatened to kill me. Said she understood Lonnie now.”

Maria looked at Max. He looked broken. Max did not have the same tough guy attitude that her Michael had, but he prided himself on self control. And Maria was watching it crack. First one tear, and then another. Max didn’t even seem to be aware of them. His gaze was so very….flat.

“I guess I don’t blame her. I can’t believe….”

“What, Max, what happened?”

“Isabel is leaving. Going to San Francisco. To school.”

“Yes, yes, I know.” Actually as far as she could tell, Isabel was reconsidering that slightly. Something about making sure her loved ones were safe.

She experienced a little flash of pleasure in knowing that she was one of those she cared for. It seemed so strange that she had ever been frightened of the girl.

“I threatened her. I told her, I, I told her that I would slander her school record. Say she cheated. Had a drug problem. And….”

Maria’s face grew pale. Max had gone much to far…. She could feel her considerable anger build.

How DARE he?

Max wasn’t done. What made it worse, what made it so much more horrific, was the flat dead tone Max told it in. “I told her, that if somehow she still managed to get away…. That I would drag her back. That I would, Oh God, how could I say that!”

Maria slapped him. Hard. “Who the hell do you think you are? Do you think you OWN her? She is your SISTER! You are supposed to love her, not, not…..” She was too angry. She hit him again.

He just stood there. And accepted it. Tears were sliding down his face, but he was still ignoring them. “I am what I am. A King. A Tyrant. No wonder they deposed me. If I was anything like I am now. I deserved to die.”

Maria stopped. And looked at him. He looked how she had felt yesterday. How she felt right before her memories became hazy and painful. She rubbed her wrists reflexively in distantly remembered pain.

Had their killer started to aim at the hybrids now?

“Max….”

“No. There is no point in denying it. I am a monster. The world would be a better place without me.”

“Oh, shut up Max. That isn’t true and you know it.”

“Do I? Everyone I love hates me. Somehow I lost Liz along the way, just when I seem to be making progress she pulls away. And Isabel, she lied to me, betrayed us to Nicholas, and now she is so eager to leave she would kill me if she had to.”

Maria looked up at him, “Well you have Tess.”

Max’s laugh was very bitter. “Tess. My only loyal follower. So why is it that the more I follow her advice the more isolated I become.” Max looked away, “I slept with her.”

“I know.”

“I don’t know. I thought it would be different. That it would jog my memories. She’s supposed to be my wife! And, and all I could think of was Liz.”

“Obviously not the only thing or you wouldn’t have done it. Mind you, this is what happens when you think with the wrong head. Liz still loves you Max. As much as you two have hurt each other…. Well that’s not important. She loves you.”

Max looked at Maria. “I slept with Tess.”

“Well sure, that will be a problem. But its nothing that a full decontamination for a couple of years couldn’t fix. Oh, and maybe a check for diseases.”

“Maria….”

“Sorry, I don’t like the girl. Okay. Mending fences with Liz is going to take a bit. Let’s start with something a little easier. Isabel.”

“Death threats, Maria. And she’s capable of it. She really is. Did I do this to her on Antar? Am I repeating the same mistakes…..”

“Well you have slept with Tess. I mean, just mentioning it.” Maria shook her head, “Max, you just have to get it into your head that you don’t own her. Welcome to Earth, Fearless Leader. We don’t own people here. Maybe you did on Antar, maybe you felt like you had the right to say what you said to Isabel…. But even if she is your sister, even if she is from the same world…. This isn’t Antar. And Max, face it, you aren’t King here.”

“I just don’t want to lose anyone else. I feel like it is all my fault. That I couldn‘t save Alex, that I….. Oh, God, the body…. It was so cold…..”

Just like that, the damn broke. Max began to sob.

And like she had last summer, when the two of them comforted each other when their loves had abandoned them, she held him as he cried.

-------
Michael-

Michael had skipped fourth period to make arrangements. It wasn’t like they actually had expected him anyway.

That was something that would have to change. One of the reasons he had always been so casual about school was the belief that he would be going home at any time.

Things had changed. Unless Maria could come with him, he would not go. Ironic, really.

But now he had to figure out a way to live here on Earth in the long run. Things would have to change. But not today.

Today he was going to see how firm Maria really was about limiting themselves at school. He knew that the last thing she wanted is for someone to creep up on them in the middle of sex.

And she could be a little… vocal. Michael smiled, operatic would be more like it.

So if Michael wanted any today, and Maria had a shift after school….. No time there. And her mother should be home later on in the evening….. No this was an opportunity not to be missed.

Plus just the idea….

So he was waiting outside of her fourth period classroom as she breezed by. Only she had known he was there. Their bond wouldn’t let the other hide. You could tell roughly where the other was.

She tried to drag them to Eraser Room. He stopped her and lead her to a different room.

It was an art closet. And it was always locked. In fact it automatically locked when the door closed. And unlike the janitor closet and the eraser room, it was never left unlocked.

Michael could open it of course. Easily. And lock it in such a way as to be impenetrable. They would not be disturbed.

“Michael, I know what you are thinking, but the answer is still no. They will hear us…..”

Michael had sound proofed the room. As the door closed, all they could hear was their heart beats. Michael went over and kissed Maria. He slid his hands slowly worked their way southward.

Despite her initial hesitation she attacked him and his clothes as fiercely.

Soon they were separated only by a thin layer of sweat.

The sound proofing had been a wise investment.

Afterwards, Michael could feel Maria skipping merrily away towards Isabel and Liz, who had been waiting for her. He flushed slightly. They would know.

Michael shrugged to himself and continued the clean up.

He had a mission. His life was in flux, and he would have to change. Soon. But not today. Today he was going back to that cave.

Michael hadn’t yet decided whether he would contact Riverdog again. He had denied having any further knowledge, but maybe, maybe he knew something without knowing it.

Michael shivered. Isabel was pregnant! With seven children!

He was not changing their diapers. He was adamant about that.

But it complicated things. It was bad enough when they just needed to worry about this killer. But now…. And who knew how strange an alien pregnancy could get?

If only there was someone they could talk to about all of this. Or a manual. Or something.

Instead they would just have to muddle through.

And they would.

Who knows, maybe Max would pull his head out of his ass and help them.

Michael would like his friend back.

------
Isabel-

Isabel had had a bad day. First, one of her friends had asked if she was gaining weight. Isabel hadn’t even noticed that she’d been wearing her larger sized clothes until Claire had mentioned it.

There was just the slightest bulge in her tummy. Of course she’d been over eating on comfort food since Alex had died. But she’d thought her runs would keep the weight gain down.

She’d have to watch it.

Then her brother…..

What was she going to do with him?

At least she’d been able to tease Maria about Michael. But that had been the one bright spot in the day.

This next part would be incredibly painful.

But it had to be done.

Isabel knocked on the door. A short sweet faced woman opened the door. She looked up at Isabel and cried. And clung to her.

Gloria Whitman. Alex’s mother.

After a few minutes, “Come in, dear. Please come in.”

“Thank you. I….”

“You are always welcome Isabel. Always. Alex loved you. He really did.” She paused a moment before walking across the room. “I was debating on whether to give this to you or not. Alex asked me to find it. I thought he was being silly, this ring has been in our family for generations. And now, and now….” Gloria broke into inconsolable sobs.

Isabel walked over and held the woman. Alex had been her only child.

Why Alex? Why did you have to die?

Soon, Gloria wasn’t the only one sobbing. But somehow it didn’t seem quite as painful. She didn’t feel so alone.

Because she wasn’t. Max might be out of the picture, but Maria and Liz had stepped up. Her new sisters. And her brother, Michael. And, and…..

And?

She didn’t know. But she felt like she was being supported and supporting others that grieved as much in their own way Alex’s passing.

And pressed as it was against Gloria, the two still trying to comfort the other, Isabel didn’t see. Not that it would have been visible under her clothes.

But for the briefest of moments there was a tiny flicker of green on her abdomen. Just a flicker as the babies tried to heal their mother’s pain.

Their mother’s and their grandmother’s……
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Weathering the Storm (CC, MM, Mature) Part 15 - 09/21/09

Post by PML »

Thanks as always to those who are following along this story.

tequathisy- It just seemed like a Michael thing to think. Thanks

chanks_girl- Thanks. Max has a long way to go. They really worked his character over on the show.

As for Tess and Liz.... Yeah. no hiding the hate anymore.

Nibbles2- Thank you very much. The thing is, it happened, they have to deal with it. If this happened later in the storyline I could just mention a couple of lines that they had discussed it, or how it affected them. But it is happening to them at this time. And so it has to be dealt with. Thank you again.

DeDe PR- Thank you.

Liason- Thanks. No offense taken. I hope none was taken on your part. They made Max into a bully and Liz into a doormat. So different from the Liz and Max we all grew to love in season one. (And I am a dreamer, is it my favorite ship? Not really. But still, I do want them to succeed, and am trying to make it at least semi realistic. And not gloss over their shortcomings. Because neither of them was perfect.)

One final point though, and I feel this one is important. Too many discount the level of destruction that Liz's lies had on Max's character. Because he knew that she hadn't slept with Kyle. He knew it in his bones, and everytime Liz said she did, it weakened not only his faith in her. But in himself and in his abilities to perceive reality. Leaving him open to someone who was quite willing to distort what he was seeing. Added to the immense wieght of carrying the Destiny of an alien world he knows nothing about, the lives of his friends and the never healed PTSD from the White Room..... Max is a total wreck. (So is Liz, from other different things.)

Shrug. Hope this explains my take on things. I'm glad your enjoying it, and I hope I do not disappoint in the following parts.

Eva- Thanks

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended. A line of dialog from Meet the Dupes is used.

Weathering the Storm part 16

Max-

Max had had an interesting and thoughtful day. After he had left Maria, he had slipped into the counselors office. And talked to her about his sister.

He had known that Isabel had been involved in the community. That she had volunteered hour after hour, in the spare time when she wasn’t out with her friends. But somehow he’d always had the image of her going out with her friends, and not the charity work.

What had he himself done to make the world a better place? Either of the worlds that could lay claim to him?

Terrorizing his friends? Acting like some trumped up tyrant because he found that he had some title on some distant world?

What was it that Lonnie had called him? Not that he’d known it was Lonnie at the time, he’d thought it was Isabel.

Ah. It was ‘You are no king, just a self-centered, self-indulgent little boy.’ She too had claimed that he didn’t have the right to judge her.

A set up, of course. One he had fallen for, hook, line and sinker. He had in a moment of anger gone off and abandoned his family, gone off with Tess, Lonnie, and Rath. All to claim a title to a planet he had never seen.

He hadn’t been ready. And if the choice he made had been the right one, and in retrospect he was sure it was, it had been a close thing. If he had listened, if he had gone. He would probably be dead.

His friends and family might be dead too. Just to clean up loose ends.

It was on that trip he had finally started to get close to Tess. She hadn’t pushed as much. She hadn’t thrown Destiny in his face.

She had backed him. Agreed with him. And after they had gone home she had kept it up. And in gratitude he had grown closer and closer to her. To the only one who didn’t represent difficulties.

Which was fine to a point, until you really sat back and realized those difficulties he was having with his other friends was from their having to deal with problems. Problems he wasn’t really helping with.

Problems he wasn’t even really offering to help with.

Like Isabel. They had papered over the problems about Khivar and Vilandra, about her stupid ploy to give herself to Nicholas.

But they hadn’t really dealt with it. His counterpart Zan hadn’t either. And it had festered for years.

How long had Lonnie tried to prove herself to Zan before she gave up? How long did she try to make him see she was her own person and not her past one?

And you would think that he, Max would have done better. Wasn’t it his own creed that one made one’s own destiny? Wasn’t that why he had fought for Liz for so long, why he had resisted Destiny.

Why hadn’t he seriously talked with Isabel about everything that had happened? Why hadn’t he tried to patch up his relationship with her? Or with Michael? Even after Vegas, their friendship, which had bordered on brotherhood still lay damaged.

True he himself had issues. He knew very well he was a crisis away from falling apart. The White Room. New York. Alex’s Death. And Liz. It all came back to Liz.

Max closed his eyes. He had no call on her. Not now. Not after Tess. Surely she would hate him. And the way he’d been acting lately there was a lot to hate.

How had things gotten so bad? How had he let everything slip?

He sighed and walked out to the parking lot. He had talked for a long time with the Councilors. He had a lot to make up with his teachers for the missed time, but for some reason they had forgiven him this time.

They were letting him mourn. And he had talked. Oh there were so many things he couldn’t tell them. So much he had to gloss over.

But they knew the basic mundane version of Max. And so much of his life was simple high school drama. That he could talk about. Like letting go of his sister. Letting her go and find her own place in the world.

And he would have to. It hurt. But Maria was right. Max didn’t own her. He didn’t. He didn’t own any of his friends.

Somehow he had to go back to the days when he had lead, and stop just issuing commands. No matter how sound they may seem to him. To the days when they had all been a family that had been on the cusp of coming together.

Destiny had broken them apart. Destiny… and Tess.

Max had a lot to think about..

He looked out on the parking lot and saw Liz walk away from the Jetta and cross the street to the bus stop. Maybe, maybe she would talk to him. Maybe they could at least talk.

He hurried over to the Jeep and drove to where Liz waited for the bus. “Hey. Need a lift?”

“I just need to go to the library. I’ll be fine.”

Max nodded. “I just thought we could talk. I want to apologize. About Alex.”

Liz looked at him with an unreadable expression. “Okay. I guess we can talk. But I really do have to do some research to do. So I can’t talk long.”

“There is that coffee place near the library. My treat.”

“Okay.”

“I really did want to apologize. I just didn’t want to believe that it had anything to do with us.”

“Well to be perfectly honest the jury is still out on that. I still think he was killed. I just don’t know why. A lot of what I’ve found out tallies with the Sheriff’s report. I just feel… I feel like there is more that is involved. That it was highly suspicious. Do you know that he slept with Isabel?”

“Yes. Um, do you think Khivar might be involved?”

“I don’t know, I really don’t know. Just it seems suspicious. And Max, Alex really wasn’t acting himself. I think something happened while he was in Sweden.”

“Can I help?”

“I, uh, I guess. But I’m not sure where to start on that part. I’ve tracked a lot of his movements, he certainly visited a lot of the sites. I don’t know. Maybe…..,” Liz sighed. “Why are you doing this?”

“I’ve been a lousy friend. You’ve been there for me, but I….. I’m sorry.”

“Well, if you’re going to be all friendly on me can you do me a favor?”

“Sure. Anything.”

“Lay off of Isabel. From what I heard over lunch you went way over the line.”

“Yeah. Yeah, I’ve got a lot of fence mending to do. As for Isabel….. Yes. I promise. I’ll tell her the next time I see her. Assuming she lets me get a word in edgewise. She really laid into me this morning.”

Liz nodded.

Max looked at her thoughtfully. Were the girls working together now?

Liz bit her lip, “So… you and Tess….”

“I slept with her. It was a mistake. I, I used her. What has happened to me, Liz? I feel lost and confused, and, and…..”

“It’s all my fault.”

“Excuse me? Somehow I doubt you wanted me to sleep with Tess. I know, I know you believe we are over. And, and I guess you are right. Particularly now. But I have seen you and Tess, and I know that you do not like each other.”

“Do you love her?”

“Not like I love you.. I care for her. But I have been thinking today. She has supported me, always told me what she thought I wanted to hear. And, and I liked that. But…. Too much of the advice she has given me, too much of it has alienated everyone. She wants me to be King. To fulfill our Destiny….”

“She wants to be Queen. She wants to rule through you.” Liz looked away for a moment. “You say that you have used her, and I guess since you don’t really love her, you have. But Max, don’t you see that she wants so much to use you as well? Don’t you remember when she first came to town and tried to control you against your will. Tried to make you love her. This is, this is just another tactic. And, and I am a fool. I have given her all that she wanted. Did he know?”

“Did who know?”

“I can’t, I can’t tell you. Not right now. Oh, it hurts so much. Please, please stop the car. I need, I need to get out of here.”

Max looked at Liz. And saw the truth. Liz was so strong, so capable in a crisis. But when the emotional intensity got too high, when her emotions overcame her, she tended to flee. To regroup.

It was why she had left him at the Pod Chamber. When he had needed her. Fresh from the White Room. It had been why she had spent the summer in Florida.

Adolescent insecurity. Not over her grades or her intellect. Over her worth to stand at his side. To stand in the way of his Destiny.

Which was silly and stupid. Why hadn’t he had this epiphany before. Before he had slept with Tess? Before he had made himself hated among his family and friends?

“You can’t run forever. Anymore than I can play King or hold onto the past. To force everyone to stay who and what they were.” Another epiphany. “You didn’t sleep with Kyle.” Max chuckled ruefully, “Not that it matters now, not really that it should have mattered then. You had made your desire to not be with me plain. I just, I just have always loved you Liz…. I still do.”

Liz was sobbing, her hand working the handle.

Max pulled over. They were just a block from the Library. She could easily walk from here.

“Liz…. I know we can’t go back to what we had. But someday…. When I understand who I truly am, Max Evans and not the reborn Zan…. When you realize you are worth my love. And you are Liz, you are. When both of us have grown up a little. Maybe we can start again.”

Liz opened the door. She was still sobbing, but she stiffened and turned back towards him. But her face was determined. “I can’t say that your sleeping with Tess doesn’t hurt me. It does Max, oh God, it does. It shouldn’t. I wrapped you up like a present with a bow on top. All for her. All for Destiny. But it hurts Max. It hurts so badly.”

Max just looked at her. Looked at her, and for the first time in much too long, actually saw her. Saw the girl he had loved since the third grade. How had he forgotten? In her eyes he saw pain and determination. And love.

She still loved him. It didn’t mean they would ever have the relationship both of them still wanted…. But it was still there.

“I have something I need to tell you. If I were stronger I, I would tell you now. But I can’t. I can’t. Meet me tonight. On my balcony. And we will talk. And I will explain, why I… Why I….” Liz turned and ran towards the Library.

He let her go. Let her gather her composure.

But tonight…. He would be there for her.

-----
Tess-

Tess stared at Liz as she ran out of Max’s Jeep. She was sobbing.

Maybe this was a good thing.

So why did she have such a sense of foreboding?

She had followed them when she had seen Max pick up Liz. After Tess’s discussion with Liz earlier today, she didn’t trust the girl. Their enmity, long hidden had finally come out into the light of day. What vile slanders had Liz told Max? How much work would she have to do to keep him pliable?

Her mind was spinning plans as she got out of the car.

She had to know.

“Max!”

“Uh, Tess? Were you following us?”

“What did she say about me? What lies was that bitch spewing?”

Max’s gaze sharpened and Tess saw something she had never expected. Something she had only seen a few times before. Max rarely let his anger show. Tried to keep rational and reasonable at all times.

Only now he was furious. At her.

What the hell did Liz say?

“Tess…..” He ran a slightly trembling hand over his eyes. “I don’t even know where to start. I mean, were you following us? And what gives you the right to call Liz that?”

“Liz is a meddling busybody human and you are my husband! Of course I was following you. I’ve finally got you and I’m not going to let you go.”

“Not going to let….” Max shook his head and muttered something under his breath. His gaze when he turned back was sharp. “Is this how Is feels? This sense of betrayal? Tess you do not own me. I cared for you. I really did. And right now I wonder why.”

Time to shift tactics.

Tess let a few tears fall. “So was all of it, all that you said to me yesterday…. Was it all just to get into my pants?”

Max just looked at her, his anger fading. Which was good. Except it was replaced by contempt. Not so good. “Go away Tess. I really don’t have time to deal with this….”

This was not going how she had planned. She sent her little mental tendrils out, seeking out possible avenues to exploit.

But Max was alert. And defiant. Damn Liz, damn her!

Tess could still mind warp Max. But he would notice. He would know she was doing something to him.

She had to make him pliable again. She had to weaken him somehow. To break him. Only this time she would not make the mistake of leaving him with the merest shadow of free will.

Next time she would crush him and make him hers forever!

Still she had one more card to play. A card that she was over ninety percent sure was indeed in play.

“I think I’m pregnant, Max. Are you just going to use me and cast me aside? What about the baby?”

Max just stared at her as if she had gone completely insane. He turned on the Jeep. “It just never ends with you does it? There is always another ploy. Good bye Tess. For a brief bit I really thought you cared. But you didn’t. Do you even see me? Max Evans? Or is it all Zan. All Destiny?” He moved her hands from the window and drove off.

Tess stared after him.

Well that had not gone as well as she’d been hoping.

Not that it would matter. Not in the end.

She looked towards the library and still saw a figure walking slowly. Liz probably hadn’t even seen them.

The urge to get in her SUV and run her over was almost overwhelming. Almost.

Max was still a boy scout. Would still support her and her child. And the tension would give her opportunities. Opportunities to lay permanent claim to Max Evans. To possess him utterly.

But really she wouldn’t need them. Tess had the perfect tool to break Max.

It was almost too easy. All that needed to happen was for Liz Parker to die.

Tess’s grin was broad as she began to plan.

This was going to be fun!

-------
Isabel-

Isabel sat on Alex’s bed and strummed his guitar slightly. It had been years since the lessons her mother had forced Max and her to take. She could almost see Alex wincing at the missed notes.

But the memories, the flashes….. There was so much Alex in this room.

Help me my love. Help me avenge your death.

She set down the guitar reluctantly…. He had loved it so. She could feel him, feel his joy every time she played a note.

Part of her wanted to tear the room apart. To search for the clue or clues she knew lurked herein. But another part of her, perhaps the larger part of her just wanted to drink in the remaining essence of her love.

To remember him by.

And so she listlessly wandered among his books and papers. Among the knick knacks and electronic devices he’d always collected. Drinking him in.

And she was not alone. Seven other small souls were drinking in the only sense of their father they would truly ever know. Isabel’s memories and the layered imprints of emotion that he had left behind.

So it was strange when she picked up his passport. She remembered how happy he had been. How proud that he’d gotten that last minute offer for Sweden.

So why did it radiate shame? Why did she have the sense of him picking it up time after time with regret?

Her heart pounded slightly. She’d been looking for a clue. Maybe, maybe she’d found one.

It had never been stamped.

Alex had never gone to Sweden. He had never left the United States.

Where then had he gone? And what had he done during that missing time. What exactly had her love been hiding?

Isabel stared at the document for a long time, silently rubbing her belly for comfort..

--------
Michael-

Michael had first stopped at Eddie’s to see if he knew where Riverdog was. Michael had actually befriended the Native American. Both of them had a love of dirt bike races

Unfortunately Riverdog had been unavailable. Something about a special visitor. Whatever.

Michael looked again at the markings on the wall. They still called to him, still seemed so familiar. But there was something missing. He nodded and placed the Healing Stones in their respective slots.

And again they glowed in the Aries pattern. And again he could sense the map.

Michael quickly grabbed the map he had brought, to translate what he could feel on the alien map to what the other map showed. He jotted down five sites, one of which was this very cave.

The Library of course. And the old radio tower. Max and Liz had found an Orb there. But the other two…. They had never gone to either of them.

For a moment he wondered why the Pod Chamber wasn’t among them…. Too risky probably. This map was hidden, but a determined enemy might find any and all of these.

IF they could read the map.

There was a scuffing noise behind him. A short bald man, cigar hanging out of his mouth. “Huh, Legion trail markings. A map powered by Balance Stones. Now that truly is inventive.”

Michael drew back, holding the map close to his chest. And readied a blast. “Who are you?”

“Pity you didn’t bring your girlfriend. I really need to talk to her.” He puffed on his cigar. “Call me Kal. Kal Langley. I’m one of your Protectors. Sort of. By default more than anything.”

Michael stared at him. “If you are one of our Protectors, where the hell have you been? How do I know your not an enemy?”

“Well, we’re not shooting at each other for one. As for the other, well, I wasn’t really part of the mission group. I just was concerned with getting all of you here.”

“And crashed us.”

“Damn weather balloon. It got sucked up our right engine. And we crashed. One by one all the others have died. Until there was just me. I’ve been watching you kids, helping you were I could. But mostly just trying to keep you kids out of trouble. And then there was the distress message.”

“Distress message?”

“You know, Isabel and the kids? You do know the Princess has gotten knocked up right? Shame about that kid.” Kal puffed fiercely on his cigar. “And that’s the reason I need your girlfriend. Isabel has chose them to be…. Um, how to translate it? I guess godparent is as close as I am going to get. Makes sense too. She’s the only human left among your merry little band of heroes. Make the perfect stand in for Alex in that way. Make them more comfortable with normal people.”

Michael just blinked at him. “Uh, I’m looking for a pool like chamber….”

“The Crèche.” Kal walked over and pointed at one of the spots on the map. “Right there. Why don’t you and your little lady love drop by tomorrow after school. I’d like to meet her. Still working on some repairs.” He turned to go.

“Wait!”

“What, kid?”

“I have, I have questions.”

“That’s great kid. Maybe I’ll answer some of them. Tomorrow. Bring the girl. And try not to tire her totally out.” Kal left.

Michael stood there staring after him. Michael had been so certain that he had lost his last chance at answers when Nasedo had died….. Now he had another chance. Another chance to find out who he was and why they were here.

He grabbed the stones out of their placements. And began the long journey home.

------
Sean-

Sean half-heartedly opened the door. Hoping to see Liz. To see someone he could talk to.

There was only so much he could tell Aunt Amy. And M, M wouldn’t really listen to him except to criticize. Liz though, she might not care about him like he did for her. But she would listen.

It wasn’t Liz.

“Uh, Hi. It’s Tess right? I’m sorry, Maria is at work.”

“Is Amy Deluca here?”

“Uh, yeah, she is. Do you need me to get her for you?”

Tess smiled a broad smile.

She was pretty, with a knockout figure. But there was something about her….. Sean was pretty sure Maria was right about this girl. She was no good.

Tess said, “Oh, I think I will talk with you first…..”

And darkness took him.

------
Maria-

Maria felt good. Very good.

And she was at work. Surely this was heresy!

But she had felt perky all day. Extra perky after that long interlude in the art closet with Spaceboy. The world just seemed…. Perfect.

The only thing missing was Alex. And they were working on that. Everything was heading their way. They would find the killer, bring him or her to justice. Find out why Alex had died. And deal with Isabel’s babies.

And live happily ever after.

The bell rang and Liz trailed in, laden with books. Maria looked around. Everyone in her section was fine at the moment, so…..

“So how did it go?”

“How did what go?”

“You and Max.”

“Um, we talked.”

“Did you tell him?”

Liz sighed. “Not everything. He’ll be meeting me later. I just, I just couldn’t spill everything there. It just, it just was too intense.”

“So. I should be on the look out for Max? Let you know when he arrives?”

“Um. No. He’s meeting me on my balcony.”

“Hmm, your balcony. This shows some promise. You move fast girl.”

“Maria! We are just going to talk. He’s still with Tess remember?”

“Liz, face it, the boy loves you. Tess was just a consolation prize he took because he thought he’d lost you forever. And that, that slut sunk her claws too deep into him.”

“He slept with her.”

Maria shrugged. “You’ll get over it. It’ll hurt like hell, for a long time, but you’ll get by. Probably make your relationship stronger in the long run. Not take each other for granted.”

“I don’t think so…..”

“Liz, you and Max, you had something special. And if you two work at it you can have it again.” Maria grinned a large smile. “Let me give you some advice Isabel gave Michael. ‘It is worth it.’ And I think it will be for you guys too. Let him connect with you. Connect with him. See it from his eyes while he sees with yours. And I think…. I think you both will make it through this storm.”

“You are really cheerful today. I don’t think I’ve seen you like this since, since….”

“Before Czechoslovakia. I have got to tell you, if you thought their kisses were explosive…..”

“You know, as much as I want details, I have work to do. And so do you. Table three needs something.”

Maria looked over, and sure enough someone was waving her over. “Were not finished, Lizzie-girl.”

Liz just smiled and took a table and started to study.

They were always slow this late at night.

It was around eight o’clock when she got the call from her mother. She needed the Jetta, something about a last minute dinner date with the Sheriff. Amy had told her not to wait up for her.

She probably wouldn’t be home until morning.

Maria was simultaneously happy for her mom, and scandalized. The thought of her and the Sheriff doing some of what she and Michael had been doing earlier…. Brain bleach please.

Still…. That gave her an opportunity….. Maybe she’d have a sleep over herself.

Michael wouldn’t mind, Maria was sure.

Maria walked over to Liz. “Hey, can you do me a favor Liz?”

“Sure. I need to get my head out of these history books. This extra credit assignment is going to kill me. But, if I might be able to bring my grade back to an ‘A.’”

“You amaze me girl. Seriously. How long?”

“Not too bad. Ten pages. I have until Monday.” Liz shrugged. “So what do you need me to do?”

“Mom needs the Jetta. Can you drive it over? Sean is there, he can give you a ride back.”

Liz looked down at her books. “Yeah. I need a break. Maybe I’ll talk with Sean a bit too. That trial seemed depressing.”

“Yeah, well when one of your friends murders another friend, you really get a reality check. Just don’t forget about Max.”

“He won’t get out of the UFO Museum until eleven. Their putting up a new exhibit.”

“Still…..”

“Yeah. I’ll be there. Keys?”

Maria handed Liz the keys to the Jetta and watched as she walked out the door.

Maria wondered what she’d have to give Sean as a bribe to cover for her to her mom. She closed her eyes and felt along the bond she now shared. And smiled.

Everything was going in the right direction for once. And tonight was going to be a magical night.

Maria couldn’t wait!
Last edited by PML on Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Weathering the Storm (CC, MM, Mature) Part 16 - 10/03/09

Post by PML »

Thanks to everyone following along this story. A word of warning. This part contains some fairly dark themes. Especially Kyle's POV. Not for the kiddies.

You have been warned.

Eva- I think the correct term would be a psychotic break. There had been a chance of redemption.... But that opportunity is gone. As you will see in this and the next couple of parts.

As for Max, that is the question. Will he change in time to help the others. Thank you again.

nibbles2- Hey, I've always liked the irony of having the balloon actually be present. And part of the wreckage. Just not all of the wreckage. Thanks again.

Maigu- Thank you. Two points about Kal's comments. First, what does he mean by human? Second, why do Liz and Kyle no longer fit that definition. That will defiantely be dealt with in the next couple of parts.

DeDe PR- Thanks. Hmm.... My comment to Maigu will apply here as well. Tess wants Liz dead. I'm afraid Tess has firmly crossed the Moral Event Horizon.

Tequathisy- Thanks. See above. Michael will get some answers. But will they be to the questions he actually asks?

Weathering the Storm part 17

Maria-

Maria looked up at the clock. 10:15. Where was Liz?

She had been excited for her girlfriend, just the possibility of a rekindling of the relationship that Liz and Max had had last year…. So romantic.

Sure they had a million things to work through. But if they would just talk to each other, just trust each other. Or better, if Liz would take her advice and connect with Max.

Maria wasn’t sure exactly what that would do. They’d both hurt each other a lot, but she thought it could have a magical effect. And be a lot faster than just talking. Because get those two in a room, and either they were avoiding the other or staring into each others eyes.

Maria wanted Liz to have what she had.

A grin crossed her face as Michael knocked at the door. Maria looked up and drifted towards the door.

“Hey Maria!” Called out Jose. He had been the night cook and was finishing up some extra cleaning tasks.

“I’ll just be a minute…. I just need to talk to him.”

She heard Jose say something behind her. But she wasn’t really paying attention. She was staring at Michael, who just had this smirk on his face. “Sorry, we’re closed. Maybe you noticed the sign.” She pretended to ignore him and started lifting the chairs up onto the tables.

Of course she kept glancing at him.

It kind of ruined the effect, but surely she got points for trying? Right?

She could feel Michael’s eyes following her. Could feel as they undressed her. Her heart began to speed up as she felt his excitement.

She tried to focus on sweeping the floor, but she could all but feel his hands moving up and down her body….

She looked up and glared at him. He wasn’t using his powers on her, was he? Because it would be really unfair to be all hot and bothered while he just stood by cool as a cucumber.

She stopped and met his fevered gaze and….

“Okay, you two stop this. In fact, Maria, why don’t you just go home. I’ll finish up.”

“Jose, I’m sorry I just….”

“Maria….. Let me say that I was young once too. Still am though you teenagers probably don’t think so. Go home. it’s a school night so don’t stay out too late. Your mom will probably come looking for you. So go on, you two enjoy your make out session. Just watch the time. Or your mom will kill that boy. And while he’s not our best cook, it’d make the schedule pretty annoying if we had to replace him. So scoot.”

“Jose, I love you.” Maria gave him a quick hug and a peck on the cheek before racing to her locker.

It took her so much longer than she wanted to get everything she needed. A few minutes later she was rushing back out. Jose was talking to Michael quietly. They stopped when she came back out.

Jose gave Michael a clap on the shoulder, smiled fondly at Maria and walked back into the kitchen.

“What was that about?”

Michael looked back at the retreating man. “Everyone really cares about you. And he was telling me, to, to not screw this up. That I was a lucky and undeserving dog. And he’s right. I am.”

“Well what put you on an honesty kick?” She opened the door for him.

He walked out. He looked around. “Where’s the Jetta?”

“Mom needed it. Did you bring your bike?”

“Yeah, it’s right over here. It’s a little dusty. Anyway, I’ve just been thinking…..”

“Oh, the cave…. How did that go. Did you find Riverdog?”

“Um… Real well actually. Better than I thought it would. The map worked like I thought it would. And I didn’t find Riverdog. I found something better.” His voice dropped, “I hope.”

Maria was actually a little disappointed. She had really hoped for a kiss or two by now. Mind you this new more talkative Michael was nice and all, but…. Well might as well ask a few questions while he’s in a talkative mood. “What did you find?”

“Another Protector. Like Nasedo.”

Maria shivered. That shape shifter had always given her the creeps. He’d been useful. But still…..

Michael continued. “He wants to meet you. At what he calls the Crèche. He seems to think that is what we are looking for.”

Maria shivered again.

Michael removed his jacket and draped it over her. His hands lingered on her shoulders a bit longer than they needed to.

Maria looked up at his eyes. They were smoky and full of passion. She puckered her lips and closed her eyes.

She wasn’t disappointed.

The rest of the night was a bit of a blur. She knew that at some point Michael had driven them to his apartment, because she was pretty sure she’d been wearing her blouse up until that point. Her skirt rapidly followed its trail onto the floor.

At what point an industrial strength make out session switched to mad passionate sex she wasn’t sure either.

Not did she care.

So she was shocked to find herself in the Crashdown. In the middle of the day. In street clothes.

What?

She could still feel the dreamy euphoria that seemed to linger, her muscles still twitching from time to time. Pleasure. Well Being. A sense of connectedness…..”

Only where was Michael?

She frantically looked around. She could feel him right next to her, could sense him, but where was he!

Alex’s voice was very dry. “So I take it the earth moved quite a bit?”

“I… what… where…. Oh, God, I must be dreaming!”

“Astute observation.”

“Alex….”

“Sorry. Just a little jealous. So I take it that you and Michael are firmly an item?”

“You could say that. I, oh, I just, “ Another wave of bliss rolled through her. And another. She fell to her knees and tried to hold on.

Alex just stood there. “Well this is a different sensation. Huh. Something similar happened to Iz and I. Of course, I was in my own body and alive. Your conscious mind just couldn’t take the intensity anymore. Your bodies are still finishing up the act. Of course Isabel popped into my dream shortly after. I wonder if Michael will be able to now that you two have a connection. Fascinating.”

Maria looked down as the sensations diminished. She shakily stood up. She looked at Alex. “Michael knows. Just about everything. And Kal. He’s another Protector. He’s been working on the Crèche….”

“Isabel is still in denial. It will take something major to make her believe. She’s actually connected to them, has actively interacted with them and still…. Still she doesn’t believe.”

“Your still keeping close contact with her.”

His voice was soft as he said, “Always. I will be with her always.”

Maria felt as her brain finally kicked in. And she looked at Alex. Really looked at him.

He looked the same as he had the first time she had seen him. But part of that was the point. The upper button of his shirt was undone. His outfit matched. It was ironed.

Somehow she was sure that if she looked, these shirts would be brands that her Alex didn’t usually buy.

She wasn’t sure why this was important. Just that it was.

But why? Why was Alex’s suddenly elevated dress style so important. What was her intuition trying to tell her?

Not for the first time she wished she could force it divulge its secrets….. But whenever she did, she was almost always wrong. But if she waited, if she waited for her brain to think it through…. It would come to her in a flash.

But she hated waiting.

Maria and Alex exchanged small talk and gossip, while Maria waited for inspiration to strike. She was missing something. Something important. She just knew it.

------
Tess-

Tess planned on testing herself the moment she got home. But someone was waiting for her.

Aric.

When had he gotten back in town?

The being she once had called father’s face was lit up like she had never seen. His demeanor was usually so impassive. But now, now he seemed full of joy.

“Congratulations, my dear. I came as soon as I felt the heir conceived. I knew that if I was out of the way you would succeed.”

“Yes, well my grip on him is tenuous….”

“The heir will tie him to you. He will know his duty. I am very impressed with you, My Queen..”

Tess shrugged. There was no need for Aric to know the truth that she was still not sure….

Except he had felt the heir conceived?

Satisfaction soared through her. Her fears were groundless. She was pregnant. And with her plans in action to remove Liz Parker….. “So are you staying in town?”

“I need to fetch some equipment. Do you still have the key hidden?”

Tess nodded. It was a length of crystal that would reprogram the Granolith to take them to Antar. Convincing the others to go, well that was going to be complicated.

Max should be easy. Particularly after Liz was gone.

Isabel, well she might be more a challenge. Isabel had been very cold towards her the last couple of days. More of Liz poisoning her friends against her.

Well she wanted to leave Roswell. San Francisco was not nearly as far as Antar. It should be perfect for her get away.

And Michael…. Michael would be tough. He apparently was attached to his revolting little human groupie. Separating them would take some work.

Maria. She should target Maria. She was vulnerable, wouldn’t even know what hit her. Just a couple quick and dirty mind warps and Michael and Maria’s volatile relationship would vanish in a bang.

Hmm, supposedly Maria had tried to kill herself with just a brush of her power. Maybe she could send her into terminal madness.

It should be easy when her other life long friend dies after being brutally raped by her cousin. A murder suicide. That should tie up ends nicely.

Aric stood up. “I will fetch the key. How do you plan on getting them ready for Antar?”

“Oh, I have a couple of plans. I’m a little tired…. Can we talk about this later.”

“Yes, Your Highness.” Aric bowed to her and left.

Tess smiled. Everything was going as planned. Funny how once she had decided what she had wanted, once she had determined that she would do anything to get it, her fears and doubts had melted away.

She would be Queen. And through her husband and later through her son she would rule.

It was only a formality, but she decided to test herself.

The result was not what she expected.
------

Liz-

Liz shivered in the trunk of Sean‘s car..

When had her life gone completely insane? When had the last bit of sanity gone?

She struggled again against the ropes that bound her and whimpered through the gag. Tears slipped silently down her face.

She was going to die.

Sean was going to kill her. Tess’s Woodsman.

It had made little sense at first, the note that Tess had left her.

My dearest own Snow White,

Your run is finally through. No longer will he see you as fairest among all. As my Woodsman will not fail me. And tomorrow I will dine on your heart.

Rot in Pieces,
The Once and Future Queen of Antar,
Tess Harding.

She had looked up at Sean…. He had hit her.

And she had woken up here.

She was afraid she understood part of it now though. They were studying a unit on folklore in English. And not the sanitized Disney tales.

Liz could only hope she could reach Sean. That she could break through the mind warp.

Somehow.

Or she would die.

-------
Isabel-

Isabel lay on her bed. She was very tired but sleep eluded her.

A few tears slipped down her face as she remembered the dinner she had spent at the Whitmans. They were so devastated by Alex’s death.

If only there had been some way to cheer them. To let them know that something had gone wrong. That if they could not bring him back, they could at least avenge them.

Isabel was fairly certain they would never know. It would be some alien event, something that she and her friends would have to keep secret.

And Alex’s passport. Why would he lie? Where had he really gone?

Michael and Maria were supposed to break into the school tonight and copy the documents that mentioned where he had gone and where he had lived.

Any information would help at this point.

Had she really known the real Alex after all?

It didn’t help that she felt so uncomfortable tonight. Her breasts felt so swollen and sore. There had even been a discharge from them earlier.

And her belly. She had eaten way to much tonight. So much so that the tiny bulge felt even larger.

Isabel sighed. These were the times when she wished she could just go to a doctor and get a pill. Talking about swollen discharging breasts and the never ending battle of the bulge….. These were just not things she could bring herself to discuss with Max.

So she used her meager healing abilities to sooth herself. And it seemed to help some. One hand massaging her aching breasts, the other rubbing her belly in a now familiar pattern, both hands glowing softly in the darkened room.

She composed her mind to finally drift off, when for what seemed like the millionth time nature called.

Isabel trudged off towards the bathroom yet again, mumbling about wishing for an alien doctor.

--------
Max-

Max waited at the bottom of Liz balcony for more than half an hour.

She didn’t arrive.

Of course her light was also off. Maybe she had fallen asleep?

Or maybe she still hadn’t been able to bring herself to actually tell him the truth.

Max ran his hand through his hair. He actually walked over and got ready to climb up and make her tell him.

But no. He was done forcing himself on her. She would come to him when she was ready.

“Good night, Liz.” Max said softly before heading back to the Jeep. He looked again at the balcony.

How could he let he know that he still loved her. That he knew that he had screwed up. That he was willing to make amends, to apologize, to do whatever was necessary.

Even if that meant leaving her alone.

It would hurt if that was what she wanted. But he would do it.

A whimsical smile flashed across his face. Maybe if he got a mariachi band and sang to her? Serenaded her at her window?

No. Maria had let him know in no uncertain terms that he could not sing.

His one and only time at the mike of the Pizza Pan had been a bit of a disaster.

He would have to ask Maria. She didn’t usually follow her own advice, but any insight at all would be invaluable.

Max whistled a tune, badly off key as he got back into the Jeep.

-------
Kyle-

Kyle was having the strangest dream. One he couldn’t decide was a pleasant fantasy or a nightmare.

At first it had all been sensation. Very pleasurable sensation.

Sex. He was having sex.

Sort of.

He couldn’t move a muscle. Nothing. Even opening his eyes seemed impossible.

But he was so hard he ached. And he felt a body move above him. A silken vise moving up and down his dick.

He could hear little feminine moans and growls of pleasure from the person above him. A very familiar voice.

He strained to at least open his eyes. To at least see what was happening….

In his head he felt a ripping sensation. And did it hurt. He also felt himself explode into whoever was above him. The body finally rested fully upon him. Gasping and shuddering for breath.

He opened his eyes.. It was as he thought.

Tess.

Only she was still fully dressed, her blouse sweat stained, a skirt pooling around his lower body.

His hospital gown had been pushed up beyond his waist.

Kyle lay there, still unable to move. No. this was definitely a nightmare. To have what he had dreamed of, and not to be able to participate. Not to be able to try to increase her pleasure as well as his own…..

Somehow, somehow he had to do something.

Minutes passed. Maybe hours. He couldn’t tell.

But she began to stir again. Trembling slightly. Her eyes scrunched shut and he felt as something happened in his head.

They had never fully separated, he was still inside of her. Only now he could feel as his dick began to harden again.

And Tess began to grind her hips against his, slowly building up a driving rhythm.

He could almost see what looked like tiny wires stretching from her head to his. And as they moved so did his body.

What was going on?

He struggled to say something, a tiny mumble escaping in his gasps.

She slowed to a stop. He desperately wanted his hips to move, to keep up the rhythm.

Her blue eyes met his. Only the friendship he had once seen there, the humanity he had watched slowly grow….

It was gone. All gone.

Tess smiled an evil smile. “Good night Kyle. Pleasant dreams.”

The wires twitched and Kyle saw no more.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Weathering the Storm (CC, MM, Mature) Part 17 - 10/12/09

Post by PML »

chanks_girl- Thanks again. And it is not going to be made much better in regards to Liz and Kyle in this part. Neither is in good enough shape for a POV in this chapter.

As for Tess, I wanted her to be slightly sympathetic in the beginning. To seem like she could go either way. To actually make the choice one way or the other rather than just have it forced upon her. As it happened she chose evil. But it was her CHOICE to be evil. She could have done otherwise, and I wanted to make that at least a little clear near the beginning. She could have chosen another path. And didn't.

Don't forget, while physically she is probably close to three months pregnant, timewise she has been pregnant for seven days!

nibbles2- Thanks. Can't answer your question more clearly without some fairly major spoilers for the next couple parts.

Maiqu- Thanks.

DeDe PR- Thanks. Her plan is simple. Get pregnant. By anyone really, Kyle would do as well as anyone else. Watch as Max falls apart when Liz dies. This will leave him open to manipulation again. Tell him she is pregnant with her babies. Make him hers, convince him to have sex with her again. Abort Kyle's babies and replace with Max's.

Saving Liz will be tough. Particularly as they do not even know she is in danger.

begonia9508- Thanks. Tess has made her choice. See above to the comments made to DeDe PR to see what her plan is. The bad part, is that with luck she might be able to pull it off. Because you are right, Kyle's children will not carry the Seal.

tequathisy- Poor Maria was overloaded with psychic flashes right near her climax. Poor girl.

Weathering the Storm part 18

Max-

Max had been on edge all evening and into the day.

Something was wrong. He just had no clue what it was.

He came home and tried to sleep. But sleep would not come. So he went to Isabel’s room.

And it was locked. Not the tiny weak little lock the door had, but a full-on strong power based sealing of the door. The sort that a normal person would have to hack down the door to get through.

Max paused and looked at the door. His relationship to his sister had suffered extremely in the last month.

His fault.

Did he dare intrude on her? Or should he just let her be, like he was reluctantly doing with Liz?

He thought for a moment, staring at the door in the dark. Perhaps it would be the wisest choice just to leave her be. To let her come to him if she actually had some sort of problem.

The only thing she would truly want from him was an apology.

Max turned to go. He was half-way to his room when he paused and looked back at the door. His situation was not quite the same with Isabel.

He owed her and owed her big. But something seemed wrong and he needed to be sure….. With Liz, well she had pushed him away consistently. Had said she would only be his friend. And that hurt.

Isabel would always be his sister. No matter how much he tried to alienate her, that bond would always be there. And he worried about her.

Hoping that he was doing the right thing. That she would not kill him later, he used his powers to unseal her door.

Isabel was laying asleep, her comforter pulled up to her bare belly. One hand was absently rubbing her belly, the other hand caressing one of her bare breasts.

Max looked away. He should go.

Should he raise the comforter higher on her? He could tell that she was using her powers to sooth herself. And while he knew he could do it better, what would be her reaction if he went to heal her like this.

Probably not good.

No he should leave.

And that is exactly what he would have done. If the room had just stayed slightly lit with the gold light trickling from her palms.

But there was a flash of green behind him. Just a slight flash. And a… sense of something reaching out for him. It was weak, and he probably would not have sensed it if Isabel were awake.

Her personality would have swamped and hidden the tiny force from… whatever.

Max looked back. On Isabel’s belly, there was a tiny green palm print that was trying to follow Isabel’s rubbing hand. Its circles were very small.

No. It was impossible. Isabel couldn’t be….

Isabel couldn’t be pregnant. Could she?

Max looked at the little glowing hand print. He walked over and laid his palm over it.

Connection. It. No he was startled. His mind was full of curiosity and wonder. Still undeveloped and shiny new.

He was not alone.

Max sent a tiny healing pulse into Isabel’s abdomen. And felt as the other tiny little minds woke. Bright shiny and new. Seven.

Everything began to click. Max had thought her moodiness and tiredness these last few days had been solely from losing Alex.

That was a factor, Max was sure. But pregnant….

Only Max was fairly sure that his sister had only slept with Alex. The only other man she had gotten that close to was Grant. And while he was sure she had done… things with him, he was pretty sure that she hadn’t had sex with him.

The babies were much to developed for being from Alex, though. It had been what? Maybe a week?

No, if these were normal children, they were much to developed for that. Of course, normal babies did not connect with their uncles, or leave tiny green glowing trails across their mother’s skin.

He was tempted to wake Isabel, to demand answers…..

By what right? He’d hurt her so much in the last few days. And the things he had told her, had threatened her with just this morning.

No he didn’t have the right to force her to explain. He still wanted answers. So that he could help and support her. Because this was going to cause problems. For all of them.

Max used his powers of healing to sense how Isabel was doing, how her body was coping. It was stressed, of course. But he connected with her body, just underneath her sleeping mind. And felt as her body was ramping down the speed at which it was developing the babies.

He wished he knew more. Knew more of how he and Isabel and Michael had been made. Obviously they could have children. Isabel proved that. And all of the children were healthy.

How normal would the whole process be? He could sense that their growth had been much, much faster than it had been. He could feel as Isabel’s body was shifting gears. Slowing down.

But by how much? Maybe it had only been seven days. If so….

He needed to talk to her. But she needed the sleep. He could feel that. He gathered his powers and sent a surge of healing and supportive energy through out her body.

He could feel her relax and her dream state drift to a calmer level.

Max raised up the blankets over Isabel’s no longer sore breasts and put the little developing babies to sleep. Placing them in synch with their mother.

Let them all get their rest.

He walked quietly out of the room. He looked back and saw Isabel’s almost angelic face. There was a tiny smile. He hoped her dreams were happy.

Max walked back to his room. He felt simultaneously anxious and elated at the same time. Seven children!

He lay down, his mind already working at high speed.

No there was no way he could sleep tonight. He quietly got up again, and got dressed.

A drive would calm him.

-------
Maria

Maria yawned. She had slept well. The few hours she had actually slept. Because early that morning she and Michael had come to school to search through Alex’s sealed records. Just to see if they could find anything.

It had been fun breaking in with Michael. Doing the whole Mulder/ Scully thing with him again. It just felt right.

She wondered if Isabel had found anything interesting over at Alex’s house.

And Maria desperately wanted, no NEEDED to talk with Liz. What had happened between her and Max last night.

Only Liz seemed MIA.

She felt arms seize her from behind. Michael. She leaned back and looked up at him. “You know you can’t do that to me anymore. I can feel you now.”

“I am going to eat you up, little girl.” Michael said with a leer.

Maria felt her cheeks heat up. “Maybe later. We need to talk to Liz and Isabel first.” She looked up at his eyes. And on tip toes gave him a kiss.

There were a few whistles in their direction. But Maria didn’t care. She could feel her heart begin to speed up and…..

A prim cough stopped those thoughts in their tracks.

Maria looked up and saw a smirking Isabel looking at the two of them.

“You two need to be careful. The last thing we need is for you two to get in trouble for PDA’s.”

Maria stuck her tongue out at Isabel.

Who laughed.

Michael was all business though. “Did you find anything?”

Isabel nodded. “Yes. We should wait for Liz though.”

“Huh. I haven’t seen her all day.”

Isabel cocked her head back. “Really. I thought you two usually met up after second.”

“Uh, usually we do. But this time, well I asked one of my other friends, and she wasn’t there. She hasn’t answered her cell phone either.”

Michael broke his silence, “Do you think she is okay?”

“Why wouldn’t she be?”

“Our enemy, remember? The one who keeps attacking us.”

“Oh. Um, the last I saw of her was last night. She went to drop off the Jetta at home. But she was going to meet Max later…..” Maria looked at Isabel.

Isabel blinked. “She was meeting with him last night? Liz works fast.” Isabel looked thoughtful for a moment. A small grin slowly peeking through. “Maybe she works really fast.”

Maria looked at her blonde friend, “Give, girlfriend.”

Isabel flashed a bright smile. “Max never came home last night. At least he wasn’t there this morning.”

“Doesn’t he usually meet with Tess for breakfast now though? Maybe he left early…..”

The grin did not leave Isabel’s face. “Tess called early this morning demanding, demanding to know where Max was.” Isabel laughed softly. “I think Liz’s plan is working faster than any of us might have hoped for. Then, Max was always a goner with regard to Liz. Tess doesn’t really have a chance. Not now that Liz is actually in the running.”

Maria looked up at Michael. “Have you seen Max.”

Michael looked shocked as he shook his head. “You don’t think?”

Isabel just beamed a smile.

“Wow.” Maria shook her head. Of course, there was the possibility that both of them had just talked the night through. Only they did love each other. But the did have a mountain of issues between them now….

Was it too much to hope that he two over intellectualized friends just operated on hormones and emotion, just this once?

Michael shook his head. “Okay, well I guess that means we don’t wait for Liz. Did you find anything last night Isabel?”

Isabel suddenly sobered. “Alex never went to Sweden.”

“What?”

“His passport was unstamped. And, I looked through his bank statements. He didn’t use his card much while he was away. But he did use it twice.” Isabel paused for dramatic effect, her eyes narrowing. “Las Cruces, New Mexico. McDonald’s if you can believe it.”

“But all those pictures!”

“Photo shopped probably. Or using powers. I could do it too. Which explains….” Isabel looked away.

“Explains what?”

“Why Leanna in his flashes only spoke English. Unaccented English. And the surroundings…”

“Leanna?”

“Alex’s ‘Swedish’ girlfriend. Do you think she could be responsible?”

“Maybe. But I think we should plan a trip to Las Cruces to check it out.”

Michael nodded.

Maria shivered and was grateful for Michael’s body warming her. She absently gave him another peck on the cheek.

Isabel looked at them, “What about you two? Did you actually find anything, or are there parts of the school I want to avoid forever.”

“Isabel!” Maria spluttered.

Isabel just cocked her head and took both her and Michael in.

Maria felt her cheeks heat.

“Exactly.”

“We got some contact information on Alex’s Swedish family.” It was Michael’s turn to look thoughtful. “You know, none of what I read last night makes consistent sense. There was a document filed for an exchange program, but well, as far as I could tell there wasn’t a program for Sweden this year.”

“Alex had seemed shocked that he had gotten in. I remember him obsessing about the whole deal. But, I also remember him dragging his feet about it. You know, come to think about it, I’m not sure he got all the paperwork in on time.”

“So our enemy has a presence at school.”

“We need to be careful then.”

Maria looked up and saw and annoyed Tess eating alone. Occasionally she would send glares at them, but mostly she just looked pissed. “Should we include her? I mean she has strong powers. I hate her, but maybe she could help us.”

“No.” said Isabel. “I don’t trust her. Liz already told her a little of what is going on. But frankly I don’t want anything to do with her. She is a user and well, I am done with her. She can take her Destiny and cram it up her….”

“Isabel!”

“What? You can’t tell me you haven’t thought the same thing.”

Maria conceded the point. “Okay. So what is next? Should we wait for the love birds or, at least I hope they are love birds at this point….”

“Let’s hope.”

“Whatever. Maria and I have something we need to do this afternoon. But we might want to meet with everyone later on. Unless you have something you need to do?”

“Um. Where should we meet? The Quarry?”

“Sounds good. Um, if you see Max or Liz let them know to meet us there at say, six?”

“Okay. Um maybe stop by for dinner afterwards. Something other than the Crashdown.”

“Senor Chows?”

“Fine.”

Maria shared a glance with Michael. Today they would meet with Kal. And she would see how accurate her dreams had been.

And then later at the Quarry they would tell Isabel the truth. That she was pregnant.

Maria looked at her lunch. That was going to be tough.

They finished their lunch.

-------
Tess-

Tess had had a bad day. Last night with Kyle hadn’t been so bad. Had actually been pleasurable.

She’d almost been tempted to let him sleep with her, particularly after he had woken up briefly. But his mind was becoming harder to warp.

Maybe Liz’s resistance was due to Max’s healing her. Maybe…. Well it didn’t matter now. Liz was taken care of.

It had worried her at first that both Max and Liz weren’t there. But she had called Sean. Have given him specific orders.

He had placed the phone up to Liz’s mouth. Removed the gag.

Liz’s whimpers as Sean raped her again were music to Tess’s ears. Of course, while she lived there was still the chance that Max might feel pity for her. That Max’s love would overcome whatever revulsion he would feel for the girl after what Tess had ordered Sean to do.

Tess was not in the mood to take chances.

Sean should be here in a few minutes.

She looked again at the cookbook. It was hard to tell how long she would have to cook it. She had already made a good broth for it to cook in.

Meat never tested right when heated with powers. Still she could use her powers to tenderize it. Allow it too cook easier and more evenly.

Tess sighed. Maybe this was a melodramatic touch. Maybe a bit too far. But it just seemed right. She was definitely grateful that Kyle would be staying another night at the hospital. She would have the house to herself.

There was a knock at the door.

Tess flew to it and opened the door. Sean. And in his hand was a small ice chest.

He looked like hell, like all his worst nightmares had come true. Pity. Time to pay the man.

She took the small chest and opened it. There was a small parcel of wrapped meat. “This is….”

“What you ordered me to get you. Can I die now?”

“Come in.”

Sean came in and closed the door. He followed her into the kitchen.

Tess lovingly removed the heart from the chest. Using her powers drained all of the blood. She tenderized the tough muscle. She then cut it into small strips of meat that dropped into the broth and vegetables waiting for it in the crock pot.

Dinner would be a little late, but worth it. Liz would no longer be a factor.

She gave Sean further orders.

Everything was going her way.

-------
Michael-

Michael sped along the track, Maria holding on to him tightly.

He could have gone faster. In fact, had he been alone he would have. But Maria was too precious to risk.

He hadn’t actually been here, but he just knew where it was supposed to be. Just like he had known that the Library would be watched.

As it had been.

He stopped his bike and looked around at the spot that seemed right. Only… there was not thing here.

Maria got off the bike and dreamily wandered off to the left. “It is just like my dreams.” She softly laughed. “So very much. Only, only you are here with me. That makes me feel so much safer.”

Michael jumped as Kal seemed to appear out of nowhere ten yards away. In the direction Maria had been traveling in.

Michael watched Kal’s expression as he took in his girlfriend. Maria was human. Why did Kal need her.

Maria looked up in askance at Kal. She looked at Michael. “Is this him?”

Michael nodded.

Kal looked at Maria an odd expression on his face. Guilt? Why?

Sudden fear for Maria sprung on him. He raced over to protect his Pixie….

“Ralax, Commander. I’m not going to hurt her. Not deliberately.”

Maria peeked over and sighed as she caught sight of the cave. “It’s so much brighter lit than I remember.”

“I’ve been doing some repairs. It should be about ready. I, I just need to prime it.”

“Prime it? Is that why I am here? Is that why I keep having those dreams? Dreams of feeding Isabel’s babies?”

The guilt look was stronger on Kal’s face. “Yes. I have not been sending them. Isabel has. She obviously trusts you. And she senses something in you that she needs. Something she doesn’t have.”

Maria looked confused. “What?”

“Your humanity.”

“My humanity? That doesn’t make any sense. She’s as human as anyone I’ve ever known. Once you get through her shell, she’s, she’s more compassionate than most of the normal people I’ve ever met.”

“Physically she is human. Oh, and I don’t doubt if they took care to do a sophisticated enough study of her genome she would still be close enough to register as human. She’s the same species after all. At least she is here on Earth. But there is more than one way to categorize beings than by measuring what they can interbreed with. And by those means she isn’t human. Neither are you other friends.”

“Okay. Michael and Max, sure I can see that. But you can’t tell me that Liz or Kyle…..” Maria paused.

Michael could feel as Maria tensed against him. Tensed at the expression on Kal’s face.

Kal’s face was grim. Like he was telling Maria something she wouldn’t want to here. “They aren’t human. Not anymore. Kyle is borderline. But he’s pas the threshold now I believe. Whether it will ever express or not I do not know.”

“Express?” Maria said in a quiet tremulous voice.

“I don’t really know what Max did to them when he healed them. I have someone watching the developments of those children he healed last Christmas, to maybe get a grip on it. But somehow, when he healed them, he changed them.”

“Liz isn’t human anymore?”

“No. No she is not.”

“And me? Am I still me?”

Kal’s voice was quiet and calm. “Yes. That is why Isabel kept sending you those dreams. You have something her babies need. Something they would have been able to get from Alex. Had he lived. Only….” Kal looked away.

Michael’s voice was harsh and insistent. “Only what. Tell me. This isn’t going to hurt her is it?”

“Everything in life has a price. This is no different. Had I truly understood, had I thought it through. I, I don’t know if I would have told you to bring her.”

Maria was clinging to Michael tightly now. He could feel her working hard to not flip out. To be brave.

He held her close. No. There was no way he would allow it. Not if it was going to hurt her.

“What will it do to me?”

Kal closed his eyes. “I am not sure. But I fear that it will remove some of what makes you human. You will heal, It won’t leave a permanent mark. But, I fear it may well change you.”

“I won’t be human.”

“Probably not.”

“Let’s go. We will think of something else. This isn’t worth it…..”

Maria place a hand on his shoulder, motioning him to stop. “If I, if I don’t do this…. What will happen to Isabel’s babies.”

“I suppose I could prime it with Max or Michael. Or possibly Liz. It has to be someone she trusts. Trusts completely. It will link you to her children forever. In a sense they will be yours almost as much as hers.”

“And she can’t….”

“No. The process could harm the children. Once it has been primed, then she can leave them here…..”

“Here? Her babies would be out here? She wouldn’t be carrying them?”

“No. Carrying a baby to full term takes a lot out of the mother. A link will still be between them. But it will be safer for her and for them. Particularly since she is carrying multiples. And I believe the heir. Why Max would mark one of them so, I am not sure. But an heir has been chosen. Sorry Michael.”

“Whatever. We aren’t doing this.”

“No, Michael. Wait. I just want to here this out.” She looked at Kal, “Why does it matter that I do this? What do those little babies gain from my, my giving up. Giving up my humanity?”

“It will allow them to fully feel comfortable with humans. To bond to them in a way that the other hybrids can only do with difficulty.”

Maria nodded. “I see.”

The emotional rollercoaster he could feel flow through his bond was intense. Michael longed to take her away. To preserve and protect her forever.

“I will need to sleep on this.”

“I am truly sorry. I didn’t even think about what it might cost you.”

“If I do this. If I, if I….” Maria closed her eyes. They were bright when they opened again. “What of my children? I want them someday. If I give this up. How will they ever, ever be able to have this, this empathy?”

Kal’s voice was soft. “The part of you, the piece of you that it needs, will be part of the device forever. To remove it would take more force than this world possesses. When you have children, if this works the way I believe it will, then that part of you will still be here for them. For all of your children and those of your friends. Your blessing to them and all of your descendants.”

Michael looked down at his Maria. At the woman who had become his whole world. Surely she couldn’t seriously be thinking of doing this!

“Let’s go Michael.”

Michael walked with her towards the bike. He got on and helped her on as well. He paused while she got her helmet ready again. He felt her grip his shoulder tightly.

“Just a moment.” She turned to face Kal, who was still waiting by the Crèche. “How do I let you know my decision?”

Kal gave her his phone number.

And they drove off towards the Quarry. They were early.

Maria stood staring out at the water. She couldn’t really be thinking of doing this. Of giving up…..

Maria turned to face him. “Make love to me.”

“I’m sorry?”

“I need you… I need to feel your warmth.”

“Maria, you can’t seriously be thinking of doing this. Of, of mutilating yourself for Isabel’s babies.”

“And mine someday. And Liz’s. It would not be just for her. You don’t realize how much that sense of belonging to the human race, that feeling of empathy hurts you. Or Isabel. Or Max. Let alone that evil bitch Tess. In some ways that apartness has helped you, kept others from knowing about you. But the cost, the emotional cost to all of you…. Can I doom those seven small precious people to that same fate? To that same fear?”

“But Maria, the cost…..”

“Will be no different than what Liz or Kyle face.”

“But they died.”

Maria closed her eyes. And said sadly, “’It is worth it.’ Well it will have to be. Now, please. Please make love to me.”

Michael looked back at the roadway. One that would soon contain their friends. “What about…?”

“Considering what I am thinking of giving up for them, they can just deal. And the sooner we start the less likely they will disturb us.” Maria started absently fiddling with his belt, her mouth reaching up to his.

And he made love to her.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Weathering the Storm (CC, MM, Mature) Part 18 - 10/21/09

Post by PML »

chanks_part- Thank you. Tess has chosen to be evil. This was by no means set in stone. Even after she had killed Alex she could still have redeemed herself. But not now.

begonia9508- Are Kyle and Liz doomed? Well that depends on what you mean by doomed. They will suffer greatly. Max is a work in progress.

Maiqu- Thanks. They are starting to worry in this part. But will it be in time?

nibbles2- Sorry. But I had to show that Tess had gone evil in a big dramtic way. And IIRC that really is part of the fairy tale. So yes. Tess is planning on eating Liz's heart. In soup. With lots of peppers.

Better yet, she is prepared to SHARE.

Sean hurt Liz very badly, as you will see in this part. If it makes you feel better Max would have felt something if Liz had died. They have that if nothing else.

Max is a work in progress, but he has turned a corner. Now for the twelve step de-Tessification program.... (You know it has actually helped that I'm writing A Kiss now. I actually like Tess as a character, so writing one that is trying to be good helps me write one that is becoming mind bendingly evil. If that makes any sense.)

Eva- Thanks as always. And its two no's and a yes to your questions.

And congratulations.

tequathisy- Max doesn't really know this, but he would have felt Liz die. So she isn't dead. As for the other, well that will be dealt with in future parts.

Weathering the Storm part 19

Sean-

Sean stared down at the poor man’s body.

How he wished for death. Or capture. Anything to make it all stop. Anything.

He had come to Roswell to make a new start. To avoid traveling down this road. He had needed to regain his life. And his Aunt Amy had kindly taken him in.

Ruined. All ruined.

He had raped Liz. He had killed….

Three lives. He had taken three lives now.

Sean grabbed the strange device Tess had ordered him to get. The whole reason for this attack. And made sure to make it look like a robbery. A robbery gone horribly wrong.

He tried to avoid the puddle of blood near the stairwell at the front door. And the once smiling face of Alyssa.

Sixteen. She’d only been sixteen. And so proud to have her first job at the Crashdown. She’d even flirted with him a little while he waited for Maria just the other day. Too young, but sweet nevertheless.

Now she was dead. And for what?

Sean’s soul cringed at the thought of going back. Of getting new orders.

When would she let him die? She had promised him! What more would he have to do?

Sean hurried quickly. He had to do what she told him.

He had to.

--------
Michael-

Michael dusted himself off and watched as Maria pulled up her jeans.

Next time they were going to use a bed. The ground was just too damn hard.

In the distance he heard, “Are you two finished?”

Michael peeked over the rise. Isabel sat on her mother’s car, her feet kicking, book in hand. “How long have you been there?”

“A couple of minutes. I was almost tempted to leave. Didn’t want to interrupt such a private moment…..”

“Isabel, I am so sorry,” said a flame cheeked Maria. She hadn’t bothered to put her bra back on, just stuffed it into one of her pockets.

For some reason that aroused him.

Of course Maria simply breathing aroused him at this point. The fact that she was so near and….

Maria batted him playfully on the head. “Save it for later. I promise if you are good I’ll let you have some candy…..”

Michael smiled and was about to say…..

“Please will you two just stop for a moment. I had to listen to you two paw over each other enough already today. It is cute in a tiresome sort of way, but it gets old real fast. And I,” Isabel began to cry.

Maria rushed over to hold her. Maria was such a touchy-feely sort of person.

This was not a bad thing. At least he didn’t think so anymore. From the flashes he had seen from her, from the comfort she had given him when he needed it….

Wait.

Was her niceness infecting him? Were the flashes changing him?

He honestly didn’t know.

And if it was, would his bluntness affect her?

Maria and Isabel pulled away and Michael got a sit of Isabel’s belly. Which had quite the little bump.

Isabel saw his gaze and looked away ashamed. She’d always been so proud of her looks. But beside the baby bump her face looked flawless, almost as if there were an inner glow…..

Michael walked over and placed a hand on her cheek, “Isabel. You are beautiful. Perhaps more beautiful now than ever.”

Maria looked up at him shocked and proud.

What? Did she expect him always to be a tactless jerk?

Isabel began to rub her belly unconsciously. “I just can’t seem to shake these last few pounds. I’ve been keeping my running regimen. But I just can’t seem to.”

He looked over at Maria. Who was trying to come up with a tactful way to break the news.

Screw it. That will take much too long.

“Isabel you are pregnant.”

“WHAT! Are you insane! That isn’t possible. IT simply isn’t possible. I only had one night. One chance. And I, and I, I blew it. Alex is dead.”

“Dead but not forgotten I would say. He left you a couple of presents.”

Maria hit him. Hard.

“What the insensitive wonder is saying is true. You really are pregnant.”

“No. No. I can’t be.” Isabel was walking backwards, dismay filling her face.

There was a crunching behind them as the Jeep pulled up. Max.

This could get really unpleasant.

Isabel turned around and saw him. Rage, uncertainty, and need flashed across her face.

Yep. This could get bad real quick.

Max got out of the Jeep, his face full of pain and sorrow. And joy. “Isabel?“

“Get away from me. Didn’t I tell you to just stay away!”

“I’m sorry, Iz. I really am. I was wrong….”

“Yes. Yes you were. About a lot of things.”

“Yeah. But Isabel, you are still my sister and…..”

“You think that means you can order me around? Little brother?” Isabel marched towards him, a murderous look on her face.

“No. But in my need to be in control I forgot that you were not my servant. Not a pawn. You are my sister. My lovely somewhat emotional sister. And I want you to know that I will be there for you.”

“You will be there for me? Where were you when I needed you. When Alex lay there cold and dead? Why couldn’t you heal him? Wasn’t he good enough? You could bring back Liz, you even brought back Kyle of all people….. Why wasn’t Alex good enough for you?” Isabel was in tears, sobbing the last. And flailing her arms, trying to hit her brother. Trying to hurt him like she herself hurt.

Max held her close. “I tried Isabel. I tried. But I was too late. Maybe, maybe if I had been there. If I had gotten there in time. I would have saved him, Isabel. I would have.” Max was holding a distraught Isabel.

Michael scratched his head. How would this affect things. He knew from Maria that she, Iz, and Liz were trying to ‘reclaim’ Max from Tess. To bring the pre-Tess Max back.

He didn’t personally hate Tess. But it would be nice to have his friend back.

He felt as Maria pulled him close and sighed.

He sighed himself as he felt as his sense of her strengthened with her touch. It was always so hard to not touch her after holding her.

“How touching.” came a slightly sarcastic comment.

Kal had arrived. Which was surprising because it wasn’t like he’d been invited.

Max moved in front of Isabel, his hand raised to protect her. “Who are you? What are you doing here?”

“The name is Kallen. I was on same ship you were.”

“Yeah, as one of the guys who crashed it.”

“Everyone is always a critic. But seriously, I have been here for quite a long time. And well, all the others were dead. You kids are like babes in the woods. Now if Princess here weren’t in so much trouble, maybe I would just have tried to manipulate events from behind the scenes. Like I have been.”

“So you are one of our Protectors.”

“Sort of.”

“Then where the hell have you been! We have needed help and information and…..”

“Look, kid. I don’t have to be here. As I said I am sort of your Protector. I was crew not mission. My job was to get you here not baby sit you all.” He puffed away on a cigar. “If it weren’t for Princess here, and her crazy selfless friend here,” Kal waved at Maria, “I still wouldn’t be here. But you need me. And after all that has gone on, after all the years of freedom I find myself shackled to the damn Antaran cause. Ain’t life a bitch.”

Maria spoke up, “I will do it. I need a little time, but tomorrow morning? Before school?”

Kal’s voice was soft, “Are you sure darling? I don’t know exactly what it will cost you, but I can pretty much be sure that it will affect you.”

Michael’s heart fell as he looked down at Maria. “Why? I don’t want to see you hurt.”

“Wait! What is going on. Why are you afraid she’ll get hurt Michael?”

“There is like this cave thing. And it is supposed to help Isabel somehow deal with her situation.”

“I don’t have a situation. I’m fine. Just fine.” She was making those rolling circles on her stomach again. Only now there seemed to be almost like green flickers under her shirt.

“Isabel! Your shirt. Lift your shirt.”

“Michael, what has gotten into you. I’m not going to.”

Max kissed her forehead, “It will be alright Sis, really. We are all here for you I think.” He turned to Kal, “She’s the Princess?”

Kal nodded.

“But why? Max is apologetic and caring, a good change but not one that I expected so quickly. Maria is going to hurt herself? For me? And another Protector? Why?

Michael spoke quietly, “Lift up your shirt Isabel.”

“Please, Iz.”

Maria just clung to him.

Kal puffed away.

Isabel reluctantly lifted her shirt. There were several hand prints glowing softly green on her belly. The prints were straining to follow their mothers path along her belly. The hand prints were very, very small.

“My God. I am. I am pregnant.” Isabel collapsed.

Max stopped her fall and began to carry her to the Jeep.

Kal flicked off a bit of ash from his cigar. “Well. That went better than I feared.”

Maria just looked at Kal and ambled over to Isabel.

Michael looked over at Kal and said softly, “How badly is this going to hurt her?”

“You probably won’t notice a thing. And anything it does should heal. But….”

“She won’t be human.”

“No.”

“Will be like us?”

“She will be more like you than she is now. But I don’t know….” Kal dropped the cigar and stamped it out. “Look, kid, I don’t know all about this stuff. And what I do know is rusty. What I do know is movies. And people. But they trained us all. Just in case something went wrong. And did it ever.”

“Why didn’t you ever come to us, tell us who we were?”

“Inquisitive aren’t you?” Kal reached into his vest and pulled out another cigar. “Don’t suppose you have a light?”

Michael flicked his fingers and a tiny flame lit on his thumb.

“Hmm. Not totally ignorant then. Good I guess. But I will be honest, I think you are better off with that little girl and a nice safe home here on Earth than you would ever be on Antar.”

“I agree, now how about giving me some information to make it possible. We have enemies out there. People who have tried to kill or capture us. And right now there is someone who tried to kill my Maria. And did kill Alex.”

“I thought the kid had an accident. The boy didn’t seem the type to kill himself, and well he was madly in love with Princess. “

“Have you been watching us? How long?”

“On and off over the years. But I really started paying attention when you announced your presence to everyone last May. Kind of hard to hide someone who emblazons their presence across the sky.”

“We’ve needed you. There is so much we don’t know.”

“Come on. Lets go drag the others to a more pleasant place where we can talk. And eat. Isabel will need her strength and so will Maria.” He walked over to the others.

Michael watched Kal as he began to talk softly to Max. So many answers to so many questions!

It was going to be an interesting night.

-----
Kyle-

It had taken some pretty fast talking, but he had managed to get permission to go home. His tiredness that morning had worried them a bit. But really they had kept him under observation for a while now and he was fine.

He didn’t tell them about the sudden sharp pains he felt whenever he thought about last night. He couldn’t remember his dreams, but they hurt him. Something horrible had happened in them. Something he would have freely given had been stolen from him.

And he was angry. Very angry and he had no idea why. But keeping his cool was second nature to him. You figured out what was wrong and you dealt with it. Getting all worked up and intense didn’t solve anything.

But he still hated being in the dark.

He walked up the walkway to his house and entered the door. A wonderful smell greeted him. Some kind of stew.

Kyle walked into the kitchen and opened the crock pot and smelled.

This was one of the nice things about having Tess around. She was actually a pretty good cook if you could persuade her to cook you something. He could also smell some cornbread cooking in the oven.

Had she known he was coming home? Or was this for some private dinner with Max?

Kyle gripped his head as jagged pain scrawled across his brain.

Maybe he should have stayed.

He walked over to the refrigerator, opened the bottle of Ibuprofen and downed four. He paused for a few moments, took a few deep breaths, and the pain went away.

He shook his head. Funny. He almost thought he could remember something.

Short searing pain.

Okay. Maybe that wasn’t what he should be thinking about. He shook his head. He needed a shower and some fresh clothes.

And he needed to know if he could have some of that delicious stew. Well she’d never know if he just had a little taste….

He placed a spoon in and scooped up a little of the contents.

“Kyle! What are you doing home!” Tess said as she came out of her room. She looked tired but exultant, holding some strange pentagon shaped device.

“I managed to convince them to let me go home. I still need to do a follow up visit in a couple of days, but really I should be fine.”

“Good, good. Um, Kyle put that back.”

“Can’t I have some?”

Various emotions flitted across Tess’s face before settling to a sardonic grin. “Of course. But it needs to cook a little bit more. It needs to be cooked very well.”

Kyle poked around in the pot. He didn’t recognize the meet. Probably some strange cut of beef or something. “What is it?”

Again the smile, “Now we get to the heart of the matter. It is just a pepper stew.”

“Well it smells wonderful.”

“Yes it does, doesn’t it. I should have made this long before this. It would have made my life so much easier.”

“So what is the special occasion? I mean why make it now?”

“I’m pregnant.”

The spoon dropped. “What?”

“I’m pregnant. I’ve got a bun in the oven. A baby on the way. You know how it is.”

“Who is the father?” His head filled with a screaming pain as a vision of her riding his paralyzed body flashed before him.

Impossible. Simply impossible. She would never do something like that. And he’d remember it if she had.

Besides she was his sister. And that kind of thought was just wrong.

He rubbed his temples in pain. He looked up and saw fear in Tess’s eyes. Fear not from him but for him.

“Are you really okay, Kyle? Maybe you should go back and….”

“No, that hospital was giving me the willies. I can’t explain it but I just didn’t feel safe there.” Come to think of it he was a bit on edge now.

Probably from those improper thoughts about Tess. She was his sister for Buddha’s sake!

“If you’re sure, I mean really sure. I don’t want you hurt, Kyle.”

“Max. It’s Max isn’t it?”

“Yeah. And he’s been sick. So I’ve made him some soup. A very special soup. But you can have some too. But give it a couple more hours. This meat, you want to make sure its fully cooked.”

“Um. Okay. Thanks. Is there anything I can get for you? I mean any strange thing your craving or whatever?”

“No, Kyle. But I’ll keep it in mind.” She yawned. “It has been a long couple of days, I’m going to take a nap. Just promise me you’ll let it cook all the way through.”

“Sure. I guess I’ll take a shower. Have a nice nap.”

Tess patted him on the shoulder and walked back into her bedroom, still cradling that strange device.

Tess was pregnant. Huh. Should he go congratulate Max or bash his face in.

Maybe both. Both would be fun. He owed the man much, but didn’t much like him. And the feeling was mutual.

Why did the thought of Max and Tess together make him so angry? Why did it make him feel so strange?

For just a moment the room swam and he almost fell. Maybe Tess was right, maybe he should go back…..

No. He was healthy. And he was going to stay healthy.

He took a long shower, trying to somehow gather his thoughts. Tess. Max. Max and Tess.

What was so important that it filled his thoughts about them?

Tess. And Max. And Tess. And Max.

And Alex.

His head was pounding now, thundering with intense pain. Wall after wall of pain washed through him.

He sat down in the shower, water pounding on him. But the pain was so blinding that he couldn’t see the faucet. And his shaking was so bad he couldn’t leave the shower without falling. So he hunkered down and rocked back and forth with the water slowly turning from hot to warm to cold.

How long he was there shivering under the ice cold water he would never know. But he would forever remember the moment that the pain stopped.

When he broke the mind warps Tess had him under.

When he finally remembered. Remembered what he had done. How he had abandoned Alex to Tess. How Tess had robbed Alex first of memory and then of life.

Soon his shaking had nothing to do with the cold.

He remembered everything.

Tess had raped him.

Last night. In the hospital. She had warped him. Had undoubtedly warped the others.

Maria. Maria had told him in passing that it had been Tess who had told them about Michael and Isabel in the Eraser Room.

And Liz. Oh, Buddha wept, the whole hurting Max thing. That had to be a warp. She had loved him so much last year.

Where was his father? Had she warped him as well? How many times could she warp someone until they died? Was it like a time bomb? Was his ticking?

Alex had been lucid that last time he had been here. He had remembered. He had broken through the warp, too.

He probably only had one more warp and he’d be dead. One more.

Tess had to die. It wouldn’t save him. He was probably living on borrowed time. The bomb ticking. But the others. The others might make it.

They might live. But only if she is removed. She is too dangerous.

The others…. How could he persuade to do what needed to be done? To not confront her, to just kill her?

Probably Michael. Maria would vote for death what she had done but she would want a confrontation. So would Isabel, if only to give her the chance to kill Tess herself.

Max and Liz were too reasonable. To rational. They would debate. Try to find out more. To find out why. Well Max would. Liz had seemed very determined to find Alex’s killer.

Maybe Liz would support Kyle’s plan.

But it would take too much time. Another meeting. Time for Tess to do who knows what. Time for her to kill or hurt another of them.

No. It needed to be done now. Right now.

Kyle toweled himself off and quickly got dressed. He left the bathroom and walked into the living room. He closed his eyes and tried to remember where his dad kept the gun now. He no longer knew the combination to the gun safe. Not after he had given that gun to Pierce.

Not after his father had shot and killed him.

He had a target rifle in the garage. He would have to dig for the ammo, but he knew that he had some. Somewhere.

He turned to go when he heard a feminine snort. He walked back to Tess’s room.

She was sleeping, her arms clinging to that weird device. She was so beautiful. So very beautiful.

He loved her. He really did.

But she had to die. It was the only way.

She had to die now.

Kyle closed his eyes briefly. What would this do to his karmic debt, to kill the woman he loved. A woman who endangered them all.

A woman who did not love him. A woman who loved only herself.

So he gave her a light peck on the forehead.

And strangled her.

She woke, of course. And struggled. But he was stronger than her. And she couldn’t break free from his powerful hands.

She tried to warp him at first. He felt as if his mind was melting. Visions and delusions filled his mind.

But would not let go.

She then tried to blast him, but she was so weak by then it merely threw them to the floor. Kyle had had years of practice wrestling. And he was very, very good.

She broke a couple ribs, but he would not let go.

And then she ceased struggling. Just went limp underneath him.

He held on tight. Needed to be sure.

He felt a sudden sharp blow to the head. And his world went dark.

-------
Isabel-

Isabel stared at the ceiling. She still rubbed her belly, sending soothing pulses to the babes inside of her swelling belly.

A belly that would be empty tomorrow if Maria and Kal’s plan worked.

Isabel wasn’t sure how she felt about that. She had already gained so much weight, and the pregnancy had advanced so fast…. Well it scared her. She was barely able to take care of herself, let alone another.

Let alone SEVEN others.

Why did her life always go to ridiculous dramatic extremes?

And everyone had been so supportive. Even Max. Maybe especially Max.

He had been her Max again. The brother that she loved. The alien hybrid King packed away. Hopefully for good.

And Maria….

Isabel began to cry. Why was her friend so willing to risk herself, to risk the very fabric of what made her Maria for her babies. For her.

They had argued over their very nice dinner. Max and Michael trying to convince her to not go through with it. To stop her.

Maria had dug in her heels and the more they tried to make her budge the more she stood her ground.

Kal had stated that while the risk was real, and there would be a cost…. It should not be severe and that she would recover.

But there was a risk.

And at the end. At the very end of the argument, when Max and Michael had resolved that they wouldn’t budge Maria. Isabel had demanded, demanded to know why Maria thought she had the right to risk herself for Isabel’s children.

Isabel could still recall those words that had slipped from her sister’s lips.

“Because I love you.”

Isabel hugged herself. Maria was what Tess should have been. A sister she could care for. Could die for.

Why had Tess been such a lie? Why had she not been what they had needed?

And why had Isabel waited so long to let the humans into her heart. To let them in….

Alex. And Maria.

And her other sister, Liz. Where was she? Isabel was worried about her. So strange to feel such worry for someone other than Michael or Max. Or her parents.

It felt strange. And good. To love and to be loved…..

Isabel sobbed.

But where was Liz? They had called her, and her parents said she was busy. But neither she nor any other of her friends had actually seen her.

Isabel lifted the picture again, a picture of Liz. And once more waited for the shimmer that would send her into Liz’s dream.

Nothing. Still nothing. It was 2 am and still nothing.

Where are you Liz?

Once more she told her body to sleep softly and wake in a half hour. So that she could try again. Try and reach Liz.

So that tomorrow they could all be together. And support each other when first Maria and then Isabel went into the Crèche.

Isabel drifted off into a pleasant dream.

------
Liz-

Liz stared at the Granolith. Her journey had been long and arduous. She had been happy to find Snapple and food, well snack cakes here.

It had been a long time since she had eaten before then.

How had Serena done it? How had she programmed the Granolith to go back in time?

She pulled the sleeping bag more firmly over her naked and bruised body. The whole trip had seemed like a dream to her. Even now she felt like she was only half aware. Only half aware and fully delusional.

The flickering green lightning that coursed up and down her body for instance.

Impossible.

And Liz couldn’t remember how she had gotten in to the Pod Chamber in the first place. She had just been walking, first under the hot sun and then under the moon.

Following at first the pull of her heart. But it had moved. Moved back into town she thought. And the had been another song that she had heard.

And she had followed it.

When she awoke she had been here.

Finding the Granolith Chamber through Isabel’s pod had been easy. And now she was here.

Pondering.

How could she do it? How could she go back in time and warn them? Make them see what needed to be done.

What needed to be done to save Alex and Sean…. And Liz.

Liz Parker knew she was dead. She just hadn’t lain down yet.

And wouldn’t. Not until Tess Harding was destroyed.

But maybe there was a way. A way to avoid all the death and bloodshed that had resulted from the disaster that had been her life. A way to save Alex.

All she needed to do was think and ponder.

How had Serena done it?

Liz stared at the Granolith waiting for something to happen. For the song in her head still sang, still called to her.

Liz sat down and began her vigil.