Weathering the Storm (CC, MM, Mature) Epilogue - 01/23/10

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Weathering the Storm (CC, MM, Mature) Epilogue - 01/23/10

Post by PML »

Weathering the Storm Prologue

Disclaimer- I do not own Roswell, and mean no infringement. It is owned by Jason Katims, Melinda Metz, UPN, WB, etc. Please note that the Prologue contains portions of Cry Your Name and Departure.

Category- CC, Primarily M/M because of the time frame of the story. See summary for details

Rating- Mature. Lets just start here shall we? Most of this is going to be in the teen range, but there will be some dark matter discussed at points. Then again, I’m not sure it will be that much darker than the show was at this point….. Nah, keep it at Mature. More flexibility.

Summary- This story is in response to a challenge set forth to me by RhondaAnn, who was kind enough to bid and win my services in the last Support Stacie Auction. What she desired to see is the change in the Michael and Maria relationship brought about by the death of Alex. And so we shall. Naturally, I’m going to make it a bit more complicated.

So everything up to Cry Your Name has happened. Oh, yes, the out of order episode of Off the Menu did not happen. One less clue for our heroes.

------

Tess sat on her bed reading the Destiny Book like she had for the last several weeks. There was so much information, so many answers….

Their past lives had been complicated. For instance, Zan and Ava’s marriage had been political in nature. Two families tying themselves together in the hopes of averting a cataclysmic war. Vilandra’s marriage to Rath had been the same only more so.

Still from what she could read, they had all cared for each other. Their lives intertwined in the aristocratic heights they had live in.

The problem for her was the knowledge that in part she was reading propaganda. She was reading what they wanted her to read, what those who had sent her wanted her to know. She had to wonder how much of what she was reading was actually real.

The sections covering their rebirth and the manual regarding their powers and how to use them were much more clear.

Nasedo, even she referred to him as that now, had known far less than he had pretended.

A rap at her door.

“Come in.” Tess tucked the papers under her pillow.

Kyle opened the door, his glance at her full of brotherly affection. “Hey Tess, I picked up Gladiator at video store. Do you want to watch it with me? Its pretty good.”

“Um, how about in a half-hour. I just wanted to read a little more for the test I have on Monday.”

Kyle rolled his eyes, “Right. Let me know when your ready.” He closed the door.

She stared after him. What did she feel for him? Was it love? Or was it just a foolish infatuation? She wasn’t sure. What she did know is that her kiss with Max had lacked the passion she’d had with Kyle. But there had been a sweetness there, a memory of…. Of what she wasn’t sure.

She was no longer sure that she and Max needed to be together. Now that she’d read part of what had happened, now that she knew….

But shouldn’t they at least try? The reasons they had joined together in the last life remained. Her family had little loyalty to the Crown, what is to say they would have any upon his return. Shouldn’t they at least see if they could make it work? For Antar’s sake if not for their own?

Michael and Isabel would never join together. They were too greatly attached to their human companions. Her work on Alex, done in part to weaken his attachment to Isabel had apparently made him more valuable to her.

Certainly the more so given the pointed questions Isabel had asked about their hybrid physiology. Tess wasn’t sure how far Isabel had gone with Grant, but there was little doubt she’d had sex with Alex last night. It was her last year of high school and she’d wanted it to end with a bang.

Would Isabel be surprised at Alex’s experience? Tess still had tabs on Jennifer, the foolish girl was still working for her. Did Jennifer even suspect her true purpose? To be a wedge against Isabel, to dampen the ardor Alex had held for her.

It had worked somewhat. But only somewhat. Who would have thought she’d want him, want the new improved Alex as much as she had. It was almost funny some of the conversations she’d had with Isabel over the last couple of weeks.

And then there was Michael. His somewhat inept attempts to woo Maria were a source of constant amusement for Tess…..

No there would be no tie between the Michael and Isabel, not this time.

And Liz…. Why she had given up on Max, Tess would never understand. She still loved him, no matter how much she kept hurting him. And he loved her.

Quite sad really. Not for her, no Tess was actually glad for whatever reason it was. Liz was annoyingly one of the few people Tess found hard to warp. Oh, she could manipulate the edges, shape her current perceptions…. But that was it. She’d even tried a couple of the new tricks she’d picked up, things that worked even on Max….

But no. The bitch remained as hard to affect as ever.

Whatever.

Tess was adamant about the fact that Max would never be with Liz. Yeah, it was a little petty, but there it was. Max could do so much better than her.

Another rap at the door, “Hold on, I’ll let you know when I’m ready!”

“It’s me,” Alex said, almost too quiet to be heard through the door.

Tess stiffened. Why was he here? He had already serve his purpose, and should be happily ensconced in Isabel’s arms. “Come in Alex.”

Alex opened the door and walked in.

He looked awful. There were tears already beginning to form at the corners of his somewhat reddened eyes. Huh. Had Isabel changed her mind again? Tess had been so sure about them when Isabel had asked how to keep from being pregnant, that they would have…..

“How could you Tess? How could you do that to me?”

“Alex?” Alex couldn’t be breaking through the warp. He couldn’t be. She’d had his mind sown up tight, those memories shouldn’t ever break free…. He should just have vague memories of Jennifer and dreams of Sweden.

“You made me go to Las Cruces to translate that stupid book. You mind warped me for two months! Two months!” Alex’s voice was starting to rise as he began to become hysterical.

“Alex, just calm down. Calm down and let me fix your mind….”

Kyle walked in, “Uh, what’s going on?”

“You can’t! You’ve ruined my mind. Your mind warps have taken everything. There is nothing left to warp!”

“Kyle, go away. I can handle this.”

“Hey, Alex, what’s wrong man?”

“Kyle, go, now!” Tess reached for the levers she’d left in Kyle. She hated warping him, but it had been a precaution that Nasedo had drilled into her.

Kyle’s face went blank as he went to go stare at the TV.

The little hope that had crept into Alex’s expression was extinguished as he saw Kyle leave. “No. How many of us? Liz? Maria? Isabel? Is that why she, why we…. Was that, that some sort of payment?”

Tess let her voice calm. It would do no good if she let her agitation show. She reached out for the levers, for the implanted memories…. And found chaos.

“No, you can’t. You can’t warp me again. There’s nothing left. Nothing left at all for me. How could you do this to me?”

“I’m sorry Alex. Just one last time. Just one more time….” She frantically searched for something to do. His mind was literally falling apart at the seams.

It would need Max. Her healing powers weren’t up to it.

It would ruin all of her plans. They would all hate her. And she would lose the little she had remaining.

Alex began to flail and whine and cry. She would just stabilize him. Just calm him down until Max came. She reached for the levers, reached for the controls….

Alex fell to his knees. “Please. Please. Don’t do this. Don’t take it all away…..”

Tess nodded to herself as she saw how to at least calm him. She picked up the phone and began to dial Max…. She pushed her controls on Alex’s mind, desperately thinking of a way to explain….

The phone began to ring…..

Alex screamed in pain, hands grasping his head.

Tess felt as the mind, as the being that had once been Alex collapsed. It was like an electrical storm passed through his skull.

The phone rang a second time.

Tess felt for some sign of life…

Nothing….

Alex was dead.

The phone rang a third time…..

What was she going to do now?

Max picked up the phone. “Hello?”

Tess was slow to respond, her mind working in overdrive. “Uh, Hi. It’s me Tess.”

“Oh, hi Tess.” His voice sounded clear and happy to hear her. “Did you need something?”

Tess closed her eyes. She had waited, had worked so long to hear him talk to her like that…. “No, I uh, I just wanted to thank you for last night….. I know you’ve always cared for Liz, but….”

“I did. But she obviously doesn’t love me anymore. Look, can we talk about something else?” Pain laced his voice, “Me and the rest of the gang are going to hang out at the Crashdown later on tonight. Do you and Kyle want to come?”

“Sure. I’ll ask Kyle.”

“And then maybe, maybe we can catch a late movie? Or maybe some dancing?”

“I would like that.” If there was a God why was he punishing her like this! To give her everything she wanted …. Just a little too late. “I’ll see you at the Crashdown, Max.”

“Bye, Tess.”

Tess couldn’t stop the tears that ran freely down her face. She looked over into the living room, where Kyle sat blankly staring at the TV. She desperately wanted him to comfort her. To hold her and tell her everything would be okay.

But it wasn’t okay.

She had killed Alex.

What was she going to do now?
Last edited by PML on Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 28 times in total.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Weathering the Storm (CC, MM, Mature) Prologue - 05/10/09

Post by PML »

Thanks for all the excellent feedback. I hope you all enjoy this part as well.

chanks_girl- I hope you continue to enjoy this story. I know how much you like Alex, and well....

tequathisy- Thank you.

RhondaAnn- Thank you.

Drogyn- Thank you.

nibbles2- Thank you.

simplyshiny- Thanks. I don't think she meant to kill him. She just did not realize that she was using him up. She didn't care enough until it was too late.

jale17- Thank you.

Eva- Thanks. It is a hard part of the series to cover. Most people, myself included like Alex, and wish the writers hadn't killed him off.

But they did.

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended. Some similarities to Cry Your Name.

Weathering the Storm - Part 1

Jim Valenti-

Valenti got out of his Blazer and walked toward the accident. He still hadn’t been reinstated, so why had Hanson called him?

“Thank God you’re here, Jim, Sheriff, I mean…..”

“Still Jim for now.”

“You know I never meant to….”

Valenti placed a hand on Hanson‘s shoulder. Hanson might have found himself out of depth as Acting Sheriff, but he was still a friend. “Hanson, what is going on?”

Hanson smiled a quick thanks before his mouth fell back into a frown. “Accident. Sedan dong seventy hit headlong into a Semi. One fatality.”

Valenti looked over at the car, a wreck of a sedan he didn’t recognize. Still his heart caught at the possibilities…. Why had Hanson called him out here? “Is it someone I know?”

Hanson just sighed.

-------
Maria-

Maria moved yet another tub to the sink to be cleaned. Michael grimaced at the sight of yet another batch to be sorted.

It had been a busy night. Made so much worse by their dishwasher calling in sick.

Maria set the tub next to the sink and gave Michael a quick peck on the cheek. He had yet to annoy her yet today. A first.

Maybe their relationship had turned a corner after all.

Michael groaned, “Is that everything? Jose’s done with the kitchen, how much more do you have out in the dining room?”

“Besides our friends?”

Michael nodded.

“A couple more tables.”

Michael grumbled as he picked up the small tub and sorted the dishes to be cleaned.

Maria tilted her head slightly as she walked back out to the main room. Maybe it was still a work in progress. But last night had been good….

For some.

She looked over at a pale and withdrawn Liz as she cleared off another table. Poor Liz.

She sighed slightly and looked at the Czech Booth, as she liked to call it. Max sat there talking with Kyle, Isabel, and Tess.

And Max was holding hands with Tess. And smiling. Part of her wanted to be happy for his happiness….. But a larger part wanted to hit him until he explained what he was doing to Liz.

Maria sighed. How had that gone so badly last night? She needed to pull Max aside and have him give an account of himself. Liz said this was fine, that this is what she should have expected.

They needed Tess right? That was what Future Max had said.

Maria looked back towards the kitchen and Michael. How she wished she had someone else to share this information with. How she wished she could just talk to Michael or anyone….

Maria’s foot caught on a chair and she stumbled and began to fall…. Only to be caught by Isabel. She looked up at the fashionably dressed girl, “Thanks.”

Isabel smiled, a rare genuine smile. Her eyes were reddish, and she looked close to tears. “No problem…. Uh, do you have a moment to talk?” Tears slid down her face.

Maria looked up at the tall blonde. Something was wrong, something different. When was the last time she and Isabel had a heart to heart? They were friends, but not truly close. Brought together more by the secrets they shared than any true warmth.

Isabel always kept her distance.

Maybe last night with Alex had changed things? She didn’t seem sad, or wistful. In fact she didn’t seem like she realized she was crying. Maria reached up and wiped a tear away. “Are you okay, sweetie?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. I, I just can’t seem to stop, stop crying.”

Maria looked over at Liz, a Liz who seemed shell-shocked. “Liz do you mind?” Waving at Isabel.

Liz nodded, looking at Isabel. “Take what time you need. I can finish up here.”

Isabel quietly said, with the most compassion Maria had ever heard in her voice for Liz, “It’ll only take a few minutes.” She then walked over to Liz and gave her a hug. “Thank you.”

Liz and Maria gave each other a brief shocked glance, before Maria followed Isabel outside. While it had been a busy night, the key word was had. Main Street was quiet, one car rumbling by.

“What is wrong, Isabel?”

“Wrong? I don’t know if anything is wrong. I just can’t seem to stop.”

“Okay. So what is up? I mean I really should be helping Liz and….”

“And despite everything we’ve been through we’ve never been that close. I’m sorry, Maria. Sorry I’ve been such a bitch to you and Liz. I need to apologize to her too, but well the whole Tess and Max thing….”

“An unnatural pairing? Sorry, I know you and Tess are friends. Its just….”

Isabel smiled, tears still slipping down her cheeks. Her face got serious, “You know he still loves Liz, probably always will. But it seems she’s moved on. And so apparently has he.” Isabel shrugged. “I know something happened last night, between them. I just don’t know what.” Her eyes sharpened, “I know there is a reason she hurt him, she’s not the type of person to carelessly hurt people. But, Maria, she hurt him badly. And Tess has been there for him.”

Maria nodded. She schooled her face to be impassive. Isabel was not the twit she often played at school. Her caustic wit hid a razor sharp mind.

“You know don’t you? You know the reason she hurt him don’t you?”

“Isabel…. I can’t tell you.”

Isabel nodded and then wistfully lit up with another smile, “’It’s not your secret to tell.’”

“Excuse me?”

Isabel looked over at Maria fondly, “That is what Liz told Alex when he pressed about our secret. I’m glad you know. About me. About us.” She hugged Maria.

Maria hugged back. What was going on with Isabel? After a moment she backed away and said softly, “Hiding it from him was hard.”

“He loves you both so much. And, and I have wasted so much time.”

“Isabel, and I have to say I like this new you a lot, but why?”

“I want to start over. Not just with you, but with Liz. To be the friends we should have been all along.”

“I would like that, I really would. But what made the change? Did Alex ask you to…?

Isabel smiled again, still tearing up from time to time. Her make up was becoming a mess with the tears. “No. Or not I should say directly. I, we talked of course, but I never knew why he loved you two so much.”

“Okay.”

“Last night, when Alex and I…. Uh, this is awkward….”

Maria’s face twisted slightly with a lopsided smile, “When you two….” She looked at Isabel, really looked. No. They couldn’t have. Could they? “When you say you and Alex, you don’t mean that you two…?”

Isabel’s face turned into a wolfish smile, “Exactly what are you trying to imply Miss Deluca? That Alex and I might well have shared a night of pre-marital bliss?”

“You had sex? With Alex?”

“Is that so hard to believe? I love him, Maria, I really do. I never really understood what Max kept whining about…. Until now.”

“Okay…. Details. Gonna be awkward, I mean I’ve never really thought of Alex like that, but…. I want details. And, and I don‘t want you to hurt him! He‘s always been so sweet and, you know always been there for us.”

“I know. That is why I’m here. Flashes. I got so many of them from Alex. A confusing whirl of a life. But one thing always came out, his love for you and Liz.”

“Flashes.”

“Have you ever had one.”

Maria tried not to sound bitter, but then again, its not like it had saved Liz and Max’s relationship in the end…. “No. I never have.”

“I’m sorry. I don’t, we don’t really know how it all works Maria. We’re blind about ourselves. Maybe someday…..”

“Don’t worry about it. I’ve made my peace about the issue.”

Isabel nodded.

Maria could all but see her file it away for a later date. She remembered all the grumbling Michael had made about her last Christmas, that she never let anything go…. Well maybe it could be useful to have Isabel be a true friend.

There was silence for a brief moment before Isabel continued. “It’s like seeing through the eyes of what ever left the impression. Full sensory impact. With emotion.”

“In English?”

Isabel rolled her eyes, “I have lived through some of his memories, saw what he saw, felt what he felt. I know why he loves you and Liz. And, and I want that to. Not just for him, but for myself. I’m tired Maria, tired of being alone.”

“I thought you and Tess were thick as thieves.”

Isabel shook her head, “We’re friends. But there’s a wall. She won’t quiet let me in.”

“Ah.”

“Sound familiar?” Isabel said with irony.

“Yes, but that’s all in the past, right?”

Isabel nodded.. She started to gently sob.

“Oh, honey what is wrong?”

“I don’t know! I just want to hold Alex, I don’t want to waste any more time….”

Maria remembered her and Liz’s lecture to Alex about remaining strong….. “Um, Isabel, I, uh, me and Liz…..”

“The whole be strong thing. Yeah, Alex told me. A couple of hours ago. He said he was coming here. He just needed to think about something first, take care of some outstanding debt.”

“Oh, sweetie, he’ll be here soon.” She hugged Isabel again, trying to comfort her.

Isabel continued to sob, this time harder.

Maria rubbed her back and whispered encouragements to let her sorrow out. Maybe it was her anguish over Grant finally coming out. Maybe, maybe it was all that had happened this horrible year.

First Michael, and now Isabel. The walls weren’t completely gone, but surely they knew that their human friends cared about them. That there was safety in numbers and that their friends had their back.

She heard boot steps moving toward her. Maria looked over. Valenti, a man that would always be Sheriff in her eyes looked at her with anguished eyes, hat in hand.

Isabel reacted to Maria’s sudden stiffening and looked over at Valenti.

Maria said, “Is everything okay?”

“There’s been an accident….”

Isabel just stared at him dull eyed. “No. Please no. Please God no. Not Alex.”

Valenti looked at Isabel, “I’m so sorry.”

Isabel became hysterical.

Maria just blinked. Alex? Dead? Her Alex?

She didn’t even realize she had fallen until Michael lifted her up. Her legs had just given way. There were other voices, other reactions.

Maria just wasn’t quite able to focus.

Alex couldn’t really be dead…. Could he?
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Weathering the Storm (CC, MM, Mature) Part 1 - 05/20/09

Post by PML »

Thanks again for all of the wonderful feedback.

chanks_girl- Thank you very much. Hopefully I can earn that praise. The interpersonal dynamics are part of what intrests me in these characters and in Roswell. Hopefully you will continue to enjoy.

Tess does not see herself as evil. She has made mistakes, and will compound them. But while she will feel guilty for what she has done, and what she will find herself forced to do.... She does not see herself as evil. And she will try to do good for those she cares for.

But will it be enough?

Eva- Thank you. I should warn you there will be complications. One of them is in the last section of this part.

RhondaAnn- I always thought it was a mistake by the writers to not show the various characters actually becoming friends as opposed to remaining allies. And Isabel will need friends. They will all need friends to get through this whole.

Drogyn- Thank you. And as above, what for that... complication at the end of the chapter.

tequathisy- Sigh. I always thought that was how Isabel felt by that part of the story. She just never told anyone.

Thanks.

destinyc- Thank you. Part of Isabel knew something was wrong. And she had not lied to Maria. She does want to start over with Maria and Liz. She was finally letting her walls down with her friends. Finally opening up and then....

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended. Some scenes taken from Cry Your Name.

Weathering the Storm - Part 2

Michael-

Michael rested one hand on Maria’s shoulder. She needed the support.

In truth he did as well. It was one thing to know that it was only a matter of time until one of them died, and another to experience it.

They all stood outside of City Hall waiting for the car that would bring Alex to the morgue came. All of them save their fallen friend.

Max would try to save him, to pull yet another of their company back from death.

Michael could see the hope that shimmered in Maria’s eyes, the faith in Isabel’s. Liz seemed stunned and in shock. Kyle seemed much the same.

As for Tess, who the hell could ever tell what she was thinking?

Michael could tell that Max was nervous.

And he should be. For there was little doubt in Michael’s mind that he would fail. He understood that Max had to try….. And he felt for him, he really did.

But Michael remembered how close it had been with Liz. If Michael had stopped Max, had halted him for just mere moments Liz would have slipped away.

Michael had talked with Max about healing after Christmas. Michael had wanted to build up his good powers. He hated that all he could do was destroy. So he had practiced. And practiced.

It was a hard thing to do without a subject, but the basics were just molecular manipulation. And with lots of help from Tess this summer and a little more from Isabel he was much better at that. But that was just the basics.

The rest of it was beyond him. Sure he could heal cuts and bruises easily now. And sprains and even broken bones. Hell, the abandoned and feral animals around Roswell hadn’t been this healthy in a long time. But what Max did…. Well it was almost magical. Michael had tried to save a dog, one hit on the freeway.

Michael could see now a little of how Max did it, of how he made the connection and used it to heal….. But it was simply beyond him. He could no more do that than he could dream walk.

And he had tried that almost every night during the last summer with Maria, again no results.

Which was a damn shame.

The upside is that as far as Michael could see, Max had no hope in bringing Alex back. There was nothing to connect to.

Valenti suspected, Michael thought. He could see it in his eyes as he walked towards the van carrying Alex’s body.

His heart clenched as he felt Maria beginning to bounce slightly on her heels, obviously expecting the best.

Isabel stood out in front and began to list what Max would do.

Michael couldn’t bear to listen, almost couldn’t bear to look at her soon to be dashed hope. He reached down and held Maria, placing a kiss on her shining face.

Sometimes it really sucked to know how things were really going to go down.

He could feel as the life seeped out of the group, as the shock began anew.

Max was walking back.

Alone.

Isabel burst into tears and fled. Michael could tell that she was crushed.

But so was his Pixie.

“Oh, my God!” And Maria began to cry.

And Michael held her. She needed him.

Valenti came back, “You should all go home now. There’s nothing else you can do.”

Max just stood there staring at his hands.

Kyle comforted a stunned Tess.

Max looked first to Tess and then at Liz. A Liz that stood very much alone. “Liz?”

Liz replied calmly, “You should see to Isabel. She’ll need you.”

Max looked again at Tess, “Liz is right.”

Michael looked down at Maria, who was holding so tightly to him now. “Come on, I’ll take you home.”

And they left.

------
Tess-

Tess wasn’t sure what to think. Part of her had wanted Max to fail. But another had wanted him to succeed.

Sure it would have ruined her plans, maybe. Or maybe not. It certainly would have stalled them.

But watching the hope die in Isabel’s eyes, to watch as a part of her best friend die…..

And to know that you were at fault.

She hated herself right now. But what good would it be to confess? Would they believe it had truly been an accident? That they had needed him, needed Alex to translate the Book as badly as they did.

And they truly needed that information.

But the price….. It had been too high.

Maybe there had been a better way, maybe she should have slowed down. She would have to be careful, so very careful. Now that she knew her warps could be so deadly, how could she justify using them?

Would she accidentally kill Kyle too? She’d been fairly free with her warps, particularly when she first had come to Roswell. Were they all ticking time bombs or was there a, a critical mass that had to be reached?

How could she tell? It wasn’t like she could practice and see how long it would take for someone to break down. She poured through the book, but while it was good, really good at covering the basics there was so much more that it did not say.

Oh, God, she had killed Alex. She had really warped him to death.

And Max couldn’t bring him back. Not now.

But still the guilt ate at her. Could he have done more if she had told him right when it happened?

Could Tess have saved him?

Kyle gave her another hug and wiped a few of the tears from her face. “We should get home. Liz will you be okay.”

“I have a lot to think about. I’ll be, I’ll be fine.” All delivered in a perfectly calm voice.

Tess looked at her now defeated rival and felt the first stirrings of fear. Liz was obviously broken up about Alex…. But there was more. Tess could almost hear the bitch’s brain operate. She could see it with her mind sight…..

“Liz, this is not a time to be alone. Come on, I’ll give you a ride home….”

“No.”

“Liz….”

“No Kyle, I need to think. Something happened here. Something that wasn’t supposed to.” Liz’s eyes turned suddenly very, very hard. “And I will find out what happened to my friend.” She began to walk away, slowly.

Tess could not help her jaw dropping. Liz knew something!

How? Tess knew there was something special about the girl, that Max had done something to her…. But aside from her quick mind she had never seen anything special about her.

But now….

Tess shivered.

Kyle turned from watching Liz walk away and looked down at her. “Sorry, we should go.” He grasped one of her hands and lead her to his Mustang.

Even with his normal desire for Tess damped, he was still very protective of her.

And Tess followed. And racked her brain.

Alex was dead. While it was her fault, and maybe she could have done more, it did not change that point. No good would come of everyone finding out what she had done.

She would atone. She would seek to do good, would seek to aid Isabel and help her find someone that could love her like Alex. She could repair the damage she had done to the group.

She could!

But not if Liz dug up the truth. They would never trust her.

And Alex’s death would have been in vain.

But that hard look, that complete ruthless desire to accomplish a task no matter the cost she had seen only once before.

Once long ago when she had looked into the mirror and promised herself that she would have Max one day.

Tess had to find a way to stop her. She must stop Liz from finding out the truth.

-------
Isabel-

Hours had passed and Isabel’s mother had finally gone away, had finally stopped trying to sooth her. Isabel stared at the ceiling and thought of the disaster her life had been.

She had brought only heartbreak and death to those she loved.

Was it karma from her life as Vilandra?

Isabel gave a soft snort. She’d been spending too much time with Kyle.

Of its own accord she reached over and grabbed her Yearbook and turned it to a familiar page. Alex’s smiling face beamed up at her.

“I’m so sorry. Why did I wait so long? Why was I such a fool?”

Her hands caressed her belly, her empty belly. One that would never bear his babies.

She closed her eyes, eyes once more brimming with tears.

Alex had been reluctant last night for so many reasons. One of which was the lack of protection. But Isabel had assured him that she could stop any unwanted pregnancy.

Isabel had talked with Tess about it in great detail, to occasional nervous giggles. Isabel had thought her friend was going to sleep with Kyle, that they would finally take the plunge that they had been dancing around all year.

But no. Tess had her eyes on her brother.

Why did that still just feel wrong to her? Why should it matter?

Oh, God Alex……

Isabel fell into a heartbroken slumber, the book still on her bed. And her right hand still hovered over her belly.

The hybrids had a great deal of control over their bodies. Tess had not lied to her about that. Isabel did indeed have the power to stop conception. The egg that rested in her left fallopian tube was quite sterile.

But their designers had recognized the possibility that the Royals might not be able to return immediately. That they might have to merge and live amongst the peoples of Earth for a long time.

Possibly generations. Interregnums were not unknown on Antar.

Isabel could also raise her fertility up to almost insane levels. And deep in her subconscious she desired nothing more than to have at least a tiny part of Alex. And some of his sperm remained in her body, remnants from the previous nights romp.

The hand on her belly began to glow, began to stimulate her ovaries to release more eggs. To increase the likelihood of conception.

Isabel wouldn’t realize it, but by daybreak she would be on her way to being a mother.

Several times over.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Weathering the Storm (CC, MM, Mature) Part 2 - 05/29/09

Post by PML »

Thanks to everyone following along this story.

Eva- Thanks. It is going to take a while before Isabel actually starts to notice anything. Or for that matter Tess. But changes are on the way.

chanks_girl- Thanks for the bump. Thanks. I just thought it had to be Michael's POV, as he was the only one who likely could see what would happen. he would be the only one watching everyone and not just watching Max. The only one to not expect a miracle.

The thing is, Liz does not suspect Tess. No to her mind, they need Tess to save them. The idea that Tess could be responsible for Alex's death.... Not on her radar. Not yet. But Liz will do her best to find out the truth. And Tess knows what she might find.

Just remember she just concieved. It will take a while for them to notice changes. Of course she is carrying multiples....

RhondaAnn- Thanks.

Tequathisy- thanks.

Sarammlover- This Tess really did not mean to kill Alex. It really was an accident. But she knows deep down that what she did to Alex was very very wrong. And that she needs to hide it.

I can't say I liked how they got rid of Alex myself.

nibbles- Thanks.

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended. Some scenes and conversations based off of Cry Your Name.

Weathering the Storm part 3

Maria

Maria was half asleep and she felt so very cold. No protection. Not for her.

Alex was dead. Gone away forever.

Just like her father.

Tears slid down her cheeks as she wept even in sleep. She had loved Alex. He had been one of the mainstay pillars of her life, and had been since she and Liz had ‘adopted’ him in the fifth grade.

His home life had been spiraling apart, his parents arguing everyday over their seemingly dissolving marriage. Alex had not been an only child, he had brothers. Half-brothers from his father’s first marriage.

They had resented him, perhaps even hated him at the time. They had been visiting and had been making poor Alex’s life hell. The bright and sunny Alex had slowly become withdrawn and sullen.

Until Maria and Liz had come to his rescue, had adopted him as their friend. And they had sworn to protect each other. To be there for each other forever.

And barring the brief dustup over the aliens, when they’d hid the truth from him, they had been the best of friends. Always there for each other.

Until now. No longer would Alex rise to her defense. No longer would he call her on some bizarre notion or tizzy she’d worked herself into.

Alex was gone. Dead.

And she was so cold.

She shivered on her bed, more than half asleep. She felt more than saw a presence creep through her room.

Part of her was frightened, uncertain. Demanding immediate action, to rise and defend herself from this intrusion.

But she was so tired. So tired and bereft.

And suddenly she was warm again, she felt a warmth roll through her body. And once more the blankets were placed on her, constricting her movements. Making it hard to run.

But keeping her warm. So warm.

She felt Michael kiss her gently on the cheek and mutter something indecipherable.

And she felt him leave. For a moment she did not feel quite so alone.

He would leave her. Someday. Perhaps soon, perhaps someday far off. But he would leave her.

Like her father. Like Alex.

But for now… she wasn’t completely alone.

Maria drifted off into a slightly more restful sleep.

-------
Isabel-

Isabel sat at the Crashdown waiting. She was worried and frightened, although she could not quite remember why.

Alex breezed into the Crashdown, a smile just for her.

Isabel sprang from her seat and rushed him, enfolding him in a crushing hug. His arms felt so warm around her. And his hands…. She remembered how they had felt roaming over her body…..

She wanted that again. But maybe not here and now. But later, definitely later.

They shared a brief and searing kiss.

She heard the others chat behind her back, Maria calling for them to get a room.

What a good idea!

The broke up reluctantly, and Isabel looked at Alex. “Thank God you came! I was so worried for you!”

He smiled at her a little wistfully, “Sorry Isabel. I’m, I’m fine. Sorry I made you wait.”

“Come on sit down then, we can talk.” She lead him to a separate table. She just wanted it to be them.

Alex sat down across from her. Their hands naturally met and enfolded each other. “So, have you thought about college yet?”

“I’m going to stick it out another year. I would miss you guys too much.”

“Good, that’s good….” Alex looked off into the distance. “But don’t just think about us. You are going to need to be strong for them. They will need you.”

Isabel was a little confused by Alex’s statement. But she didn’t care. He was here. With her. Together. They were finally together. So she just smiled and said, “So do you have any plans this evening? Maybe some dancing and later, under the stars….” She widened her smile.

He smiled back, again with just a hint of wistfulness. “I have to go now. I love you Isabel.”

“You have to go so soon? You just got here?”

“Sometimes, its just time to go. I’ll see you later, Isabel. And remember that I love you. Always.”

“Bye Alex. I’ll see you later. Tonight, even if I have to raid your dreams, your not getting away that easily Whitman.” She paused and gathered up her strength. To say, to fully say what she should have said last night. “I love you, Alex.”

Alex smiled and left.

Isabel heard her mother call her, “Isabel. Isabel honey, its time to wake up.”

Isabel woke with a slight smile.

And then it hit her. The crushing emptiness.

It had all been a dream.

Alex was dead.

And she began to sob uncontrollably.

And Mrs. Evans held her and tried to comfort her grief-stricken daughter.

------
Kyle-

Kyle did not want to go to school today. But staying home seemed so much worse.

At school he would run into his friends. And they might find a trace of solace in each other. And hopefully the boring and tediousness of school would help dull the sense of loss.

Damn it, why hadn’t he seen that Alex was such a cool guy until after he had come back from Sweden? So much better than the arrogant and shallow jocks he usually hung out with.

He closed his eyes and sighed.

He looked over at his old room, Tess’s room now. It wasn’t that late yet, but usually she was up by now. He walked over and rapped gently on her door. “Tess? Are you going to school?”

Tess’s called out, “Come in.”

Kyle walked in. He was surprised to see Tess already dressed for school. But her eyes were sunken and red. Partly from crying, he could tell. But she also looked like she hadn’t slept. “Tess, are you okay?”

“Happy Birthday, Buddha-boy.”

Kyle just grunted. He just didn’t want to think about that. How could he celebrate when one of his best friends was dead?

Tess looked him over. “You’re going to school?”

“Don’t want to spend it here. Not unless you need company.”

Tess shook her head. “No, I, I think I’m going to go too.” She started crying again.

It amazed Kyle how hard Tess was taking Alex’s death. Maybe it reminded her of Nasedo dying earlier that year. He walked over and gave her a brotherly hug. Funny how once he had thought there had been more there, a spark.

Now he couldn’t see it. He loved her yes, wanted to protect her, but he just couldn’t see a relationship with her happening. Life was so strange. He never thought he would ever suggest what he was about to say. But Tess needed it. Needed the comfort.

“Hey Tess, what is wrong”

She smiled wanly, “I couldn’t sleep. I have been thinking about it all. It just doesn’t seem fair.”

Kyle nodded. “Are you sure you want to go to school? I’m sure Dad would call in for you in a heartbeat.”

“No, I’ll be fine. Tired, but fine.”

“Okay. Um, have you talked to Max? He seemed kind of broken up about not healing Alex….”

Tess looked at him, somewhat startled. “We talked a little last night. He was taking it hard like you say, and….”

Kyle nodded. He wasn’t sure how much he could help Tess, but Max, he knew she loved the broody alien. “Why don’t you call him. I’m sure he’d like to see you. Brighten up both your days.”

Tess smiled at Kyle, and looked him searchingly. “Thanks Kyle. Are you sure….”

“Yeah, I’ll be fine. I’ll see you at lunch?”

“I’ll be there.”

Kyle turned to go. If Max treated Tess badly he was going to smack the alien around no matter what kind of freaky powers he might have.

“Kyle…”

Kyle turned back, “Yeah?”

“Thanks. And, um, don’t plan on anything tonight okay? We’re going to keep it small, just the Sheriff and me, but we will have a cake. And you will blow out the candles. Your pretty special, and, and, its not your fault that Alex died.”

“Tess, I don’t need….”

“Kyle, please. Just a moment of happiness, okay? A moment to celebrate and savor amidst the sadness.”

Kyle looked back at the blonde. “Okay, I’ll be there.” And he walked out of her room.

Why did he feel something missing? A sense of wrongness? That there had been something more in her gaze, if just for a second. He shook his head.

Max had better realize what he had!

Kyle finished getting ready for school.

-------
Michael-

Michael prepared another cup of tea for Amy Deluca. Maria was still asleep.

By an unspoken agreement between Amy and Michael, they would let her sleep until she woke. Alex’s death had hit them all hard, but somehow had seemed to completely break Maria apart.

He promised Alex he would take care of her. And snorted. Now he was talking to ghosts.

But he meant it.

He loved her. He really didn’t want to. But he did. It was that simple. He did. He had for sometime.

Somehow, no matter how think or high the wall he erected, she would seep through.

She was precious to him.

And now to see her so broken, so bereft…. It made him angry. It was one thing for life to be shitty, he expected that. But to hurt her so bad….

He had to protect her somehow, to alleviate the pain somehow. But he had no clue how.

He handed the tea to Amy.

She took it and thanked him.

He walked back to the kitchen and when the phone rang he picked it up. “Deluca Residence.”

“Michael? What are you doing there this early? Stealing breakfast?”

“Sean….” He closed his eyes and controlled his temper. “Alex died last night.”

“What? How?”

“Car accident. Maria and your Aunt are taking it pretty hard.”

Sean sighed. “Michael, can you do me a favor?”

Michael was silent.

“I’m stuck here in Albuquerque, it’s why I’m calling. I’ll be stuck her for at least a couple more days. Can you, can you be there for them? There my family and I, I….”

“I’ll take care of them.” Like you need to ask.

“Thanks. And, Michael, if any thing else develops can you, can you give me a call? Aunt Amy has the number.”

“Sure.” The phone went dead.

Amy wearily looked up, “Who was it?”

“Sean is stuck in Albuquerque.”

“Oh. Michael, I just wanted to thank you. It is nice to see my daughter cared for.”

“Yeah. I should look in on her again. She keeps kicking off the covers….”

“She does that.”

Michael walked past her and opened Maria’s door one more time.

There had to be some way to protect her. Some how. Once more he placed the covers over his love and gave her a little kiss.

And said those fateful words, words he still could not bring himself to utter while she was awake. “I love you, Maria.”

He closed her door and went to go sit with Amy.

Maria might need him. And somehow he would find a way to protect her. Somehow.

-------
Max-

Max stared at the ceiling. How badly had he failed?

Alex lay dead.

And from his sister’s room he could hear her anguished sobs.

Just like with Nasedo. Too late. He had been too late. At least with Nasedo he had felt the life slip away.

With Alex he had felt nothing. Empty and cold. A shell that had once held a friend.

Max stared at the ceiling and ran through all the possibilities. Could it have just been fate? Could the world be that cruel, to let Alex escape alien snares and traps only to die in a random car crash?

Or were their enemies circling and preparing their worst. Unable to kill them all at once, would they be trying to pick them off one by one? Starting with Alex?

Max sighed. Now he was getting as paranoid as Michael.

It was probably just bad luck. Valenti was working with Hanson. If anything came up, he had promised to tell him.

Until he found something, Max needed to find something that would let them all carry on. To remember and grieve for their friend.

He rolled off his bed and picked up his phone. He would start with Liz.

Mrs. Parker answered the phone, “Hello?” She sounded so tired.

“It’s me, Max.”

“This is all so horrible. I can’t believe this is happening.”

“Me neither.”

“How are you holding up? I know you were close to him.”

“Not as much as Liz. Can I talk to her?”

“Liz isn’t here. She’s, she’s taken it kind of had Max. I think she is in denial. She was cold this morning, said she needed some space.”

“Um, okay. Can you tell her I called?”

“Sure, Max. Oh, I almost forgot, how is Isabel? She and Alex made such a cute couple and….”

Max closed his eyes and he could still hear his mother comforting Isabel. “It is just so hard,” Max was surprised at how thick his own voice sounded, “Just so not fair. I, I will let her know you asked.”

“Take care, Max. I’ll let Liz know you called.”

Max set down the phone. He closed his eyes.

There was a knock on the door. “Max?” came Tess’s voice. “Are you in there?”

Max just felt so tired. He walked over to his bedroom door and opened it.

Tess immediately hugged him. Her eyes were red and puffy, and she looked like she hadn’t slept.

He held her back, drawing in her warmth. She wasn’t Liz. But she loved him, unlike Liz who had, who had…..

Max broke down in her arms, just let it all go and bawled like a baby.

It was too much. The white room, Nasedo’s death, Liz’s sleeping with Kyle, her speech at prom, and now Alex. Alex was dead and he couldn’t save him. Max couldn’t save him and his sister, who he loved so dearly was bereft.

So he let Tess hold him, let her sooth his fears and doubts.

He did not, and likely never would love her like he loved Liz. But Liz didn’t love him anymore. Not like he needed.

And so he held Tess.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Weathering the Storm (CC, MM, Mature) Part 3 - 06/06/09

Post by PML »

Thanks for all following this story.

Eva- It was a horrible situation, and it hit everyone hard. And I mean everyone. But each of the characters has a different coping mechanism, and to see where they are going you need to know where they are starting from. Thank you for the feedback!

chanks_girl- One thing to remember that I am delving into the thoughts of the characters, something you can not do on screen. Max would have considered the possibility of alien involvement, it is just he ended up being convinced something very different happened.

As for Liz, she will be in this part.

RhondaAnn- I sent the other part with part 4. And I'm glad you liked his part. He refused to wait for this part. I hope you continue to enjoy.

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended. Some scenes are taken in part from Cry Your Name.

Weathering the Storm part 4

Isabel-

Isabel sat at the kitchen table with her mother. Her mother had finally coaxed her out of her room with promises of breakfast.

For some reason Isabel was very hungry. She didn’t feel like eating, very little seemed matter.

Alex was dead.

But somehow she found herself eating jalapeño and blueberry pancakes, not even bothering to hide her adding sugar to the maple syrup.

Her mother could only shake her head, “I will never understand your or Max’s tastes.”

“Thanks, Mom. I don’t know why, I just….”

“Your grieving. Its to be expected. I’m glad I stayed home today.”

Oh. She hadn’t even realized her mom had work today. As they had gotten older, Diane had picked up more and more legal work. “I’m sorry. I just can’t, can’t” Isabel’s eyes began to tear up again. She took a sip of her orange juice.

“Oh, honey. It’s not your fault.”

“But that’s just it, it is my fault. He wouldn’t have gone out if I hadn’t asked him to!”

“Honey, no one knew where he was going…”

“He, he said he had one stop to make before he came to me. He was coming to meet me at the Crashdown. He could have been safe at home. But for me. I killed him!” And Isabel began to cry in earnest.

Mrs. Evans moved and held Isabel, “Oh, honey don’t be silly. It’s tragic what happened, it’s horrible. But you did not cause it. Honey, it is not your fault.”

“I can’t help feeling that everyone I love and care about end up hurt and dead.” A wave of sorrow for Grant added to the massive swell that was her grief for Alex. Had her past, her very existence dictated that Alex had to die?

“Honey….” Diane shook her head and sighed, “I wish I had special powers to take away your pain….>“

“Special powers don’t help. I have to get away….” What if, what if it began to spread. What if it started to claim her other friends? Claim her parents? That would kill her.

She had to get away, to escape. Maybe she should just run, just leave before the calamities that surrounded her engulfed her family…. But she didn’t want to lose them.

But she had a way, a way that would get her away from them. Protect them from what she was by distance, but still let her talk to them, to keep them part of her life.

She looked up at her mother’s face, a mix of pity, sorrow and expectation…. “Mom, I have to tell you something…..”

“Yes, dear,” her mother added almost breathlessly, “Anything. You can tell me anything, and I will not judge….”

A fleeting desire to tell her, to tell her mother all that had gone on this horrible, horrible year….

And yet that might cause her to lose her mother as much as some catastrophic event. Liz and Maria, and Alex, she could never forget him, made her understand that not everyone would hate her. The opposite if anything. Even Kyle was starting to warm up to them.

Bur those words could never be taken back. She could never unsay them. And her mother would never look at her the same. Even is she accepted her, even if she accepted that her adopted daughter was the reborn incarnation of a traitorous princess who might very well have doomed her whole people…. Even if she could get past all that and just see her as her little Izziebell…..

No she couldn’t risk it. Not right now. Not when she was so close to breaking apart.

She would She WOULD, no matter what Max said…. In time. She promised herself that.

She still needed to get out of here, to escape. And she had a way. “San Francisco,” She blurted out.

“San Francisco?”

“I, uh, I didn’t want to tell you at first because I wasn’t sure if I could actually do it. And, and….”

Mrs. Evans looked a little disappointed, but seemed happy that she was off of her crushing grief over Alex….

“I’m graduating early. The only one I told, the only one I felt safe mentioning it to was Alex….”

Mrs. Evans had a small sad smile, “You were very close to him.”

Isabel drew herself up, “I think he was the one, the one I was fated to be with.”

“Honey you are much too young to think that. This is tragic, but you are so young and there are so many others out there….” She stopped a moment and gave Isabel a piercing look and nodded. “Were you two ever….”

Normally she would have resisted fiercely her mother prying into her affairs, and she was eighteen now…. But she needed the comfort, needed the closeness. Needed to be as truthful and close to her mother as she could.

“Yes.”

“Were you careful?” Diane said in a quiet voice.

Isabel nodded. Not in the way her mother expected. Unless she wanted to out herself completely to her mother, there was no way she could describe that she had deactivated the egg before Prom Night. “I almost wish I hadn’t been.… That I had a piece of him still with me.”

“Oh, Isabel….” Diane held her for a long time. “So, about San Francisco….”

“Yeah, let me go get some stuff I got from my advisor at school….”

The pain was still there, the horrific emptiness still there…. But somehow it seemed less than last night, in some strange way. She doubted she would ever fully recover from Alex’s death.

But talking with her mother, planning her escape…. It made the pain seem a little more bearable.

----
Meanwhile inside her changes continued apace. Already four eggs were fertilized and implanted, already developing at an accelerated rate. Eleven others were under progress.

Not all of them would be viable, and her body would undertake an early purge of the excess. This would lead Isabel to think she was having an early period brought on by stress.

But she would be wrong.

-------
Tess-

Tess silently thanked Kyle for giving her the idea of visiting Max. He had needed the comfort. He had needed her.

He had NEEDED her. Her, Tess Harding! He loved her….

They were quietly sitting on the bleachers, just Max and herself, watching as their schoolmates placed flowers and candles at a memorial that had been set up in honor of Alex.

It was strange. She hadn’t realized how many people had cared for him. But her classmates seemed truly broken over it. Alex had not been popular, but he had been well liked.

“There was so much blood, I had not expected that.”

Tess touched Max’s arm, “You had to try.”

“I didn’t want to touch him, and, and when I did, he, he was so cold.” Max puts his head into his hands and begins to sob quietly.

Tess reaches over and hugged him, providing what comfort she could. “Max, you did what you could. You went there. You tried. But he was already gone. Not even you can bring back the dead.”

Max just held onto her.

Tess loved the feeling of warmth his holding her brought, surprised at how protective she felt for him. If only she could go back in time, if only she had called Max earlier.

Maybe, maybe, Alex could have been saved. She closed her own eyes as a wave of pain washed through her. God, it made her feel so tired. And yet stole her sleep.

She had killed Alex. All the pain she was seeing, all that she had heard was her fault. Her fault.

A few months ago it wouldn’t have mattered. She wouldn’t have cared. What was one more human? There were over six billion, what was one more or less?

But now…. Maybe it had been Christmas, the first she had truly celebrated. Or perhaps it had been the long argument over philosophy she’d had with Alex on the long drive to Vegas…..

She had liked him. She hadn’t truly realized it, not until it was too late. But she had. She could see what Isabel had liked in him.

And Tess had killed him, killed Alex.

Oh, the horrible sounds Isabel had been making when she had left with Max for breakfast. The sight of her friend in such a state…..

All her fault.

She felt as Max began to hold her tighter, began to whisper a few soothing words in her ear. And Tess cried harder, weeping for what was lost.

How long did they hold each other, how long did they comfort each other in their mutual feelings of failure? Both over the same man, for radically different reasons.

But the moment was broken when they heard another walking up the bleachers towards them. Tess lifted one bleared eye to look at the new comer.

It was Liz. The same hard look from last night was still plastered on her face, and she was holding a picture in one hand. Her glance touched Max and filled with pain, her glance grazed her with a touch of hate. “Have either of you seen Maria?”

Max replied, “She stayed home. Michael’s with her.” He had his head cocked slightly, as if trying to figure Liz out.

Liz was not acting sad or grieving. She fairly radiated rage. All made the more frightening by the cool calm façade that graced her countenance. But Tess could feel it.

Did she suspect? Did she know?

Tess was surprised at how weak her own voice sounded as she asked Liz, “So, how are you holding up?”

“How do you think I feel, Tess? My best friend just died in a suspicious car wreck.”

Max said painfully, “Liz…”

“Max I don’t blame you. Not for not healing Alex, nor for, for…” She waved her hand and him and Tess. “Don’t worry I saw you two at the gym at Prom. I’m fine with it.” A couple of tears snuck down her cheeks. “Really. I’m fine.”

Tess sighed internally. She didn’t know. She would have declaimed me, she would have asked to speak with Max alone. I am safe.

For now.

“What were you going to tell Maria, anything we should know?”

Liz nodded at Tess, she produced a picture. “I found this in the wreck. It is Alex and Leanna. You will note Alex’s head is cut away. It means something.”

“You got this out of the wreck?”

Damn. I must have missed some evidence. How much else did I miss? Did she see anything else?

Tess took the proffered photo graph and made as if she was examining it. “You found this in the wreck? I mean it was in the crash?”

“I checked. Look carefully, it is cut and not torn. Cut precisely. A crash wouldn’t leave something like that.”

Max looked at it and looked at Liz strangely. “It looks cut alright. But why were you at the wreck. I mean how did you find out where it was. I mean, the police must have gone over it right? I mean our friend died in there?”

“Max, how many times have we ignored some small event only to have it explode in our face? There are no coincidences in our lives.”

“Liz, accidents can happen. Even to us.”

“Maybe. But I want to be sure. I want to know that I’m not going to lose someone else that I care about.”

“Liz come here, you need to let it out. You need to grieve.”

Liz’s eyes glittered with unshed tears. “I think we’re in danger Max. That someone nearby is plotting against us. And I have to get them before they get us.” She angrily wiped away the tears that would not stop, “I don’t have time, Max. I simply don’t have the time.” She took the picture back.

And both Tess and Max watched as she walked away.

Tess could barely make out what Liz said as she walked away, “It wasn’t worth it, not if it cost…..”

What?

“Max, maybe you should go after her. She’s, she’s not doing so well.”

“I want to Tess. I really do. But would she let me? No, once again she is walking away from me. Again. Why could she never see….? Well that is over and done with.” Max rubbed his eyes.

Tess glanced after the short brunette marching stiffly away. He still loved her. He probably always would. Just something she would have to deal with.

“I’m sorry Max. I know what it is like to be turned away from someone you expect to love you.”

“Oh, Tess…. I’m sorry. I should have.” Max shook his head, “Come on Tess, lets grab some lunch before next class starts.”

And they went off to grab lunch.

------
Sheriff Valenti-

Valenti sat again at his old desk, putting various knickknacks up. Some a little different than before. The picture he most prized now had himself, Kyle, Tess and Amy.

That night had been one of the best he’d ever had. He’d even had a few dates with Amy since. Although with him back in the Sheriff’s Office that might change as his free hours became erratic again.

Agent Huff had been as good as her word. Well that and a lot of campaigning by supporters, showing all the baseless reasons for dismissing him. He was Sheriff once again.

The timing could have been better. He wished he could focus just on Alex’s case like he would have been able to before, but now, now he had a whole County to worry about.

And a lot of the evidence Hanson had been picking up was not good. Hanson had been fairly good-natured about being dropped back to senior deputy again.

Hanson hadn’t been ready, and he knew it. But he’d had a taste and knew what to work on. In a few years, Valenti knew he might have a challenge during election season.

And that was fine with Valenti.

Hanson came in from his interview with the last known person to speak with Alex, a Thai food delivery driver. His eyes were shadowed and shuttered as he handed the transcript to the Sheriff.

They deliver Thai now? Pizza, sure he was all for that, but Thai food? In Roswell? Sheriff Valenti shook his head. And read.

He did not like what he read. It painted Alex, not as the sunny fun teen Valenti knew but as sullen and despondent. He looked up at Hanson.

“Jim, I know you don’t want to hear this…. But there is a pattern here. I talked to his teachers…. The last few months his grades have been slipping, his moods were swinging from cocky to sullen….”

“Sounds like a teenager to me.”

“Jim…. I don’t want to say it, but….”

“Not a chance. Not Alex.”

“I hope you are right.”

“The driver of the semi?”

“Clean. And Jim, Alex’s car really did swerve into the semi.”

“No, I don’t believe it. Keep looking.”

“I will, sir. But, Jim, you really need to look at all this stuff. I don’t like it any more than you do, Gloria is one of Lynette’s best friends. I don’t want to believe, but…”

“Just keep looking.”

Hanson nodded and left.

He couldn’t be right, not Alex? Alex wouldn’t do that. He wouldn’t. Not that.

Not suicide.

Valenti read Hanson’s findings.

-----
Michael-

Michael was still worried for Maria. Alex’s death had hit her harder than he would have expected. Maria had always had a reserve of strength that had always surprised him.

And now it seemed gone. Her eyes lacked their usual sparkle. He didn’t even try to piss her off. Usually that would liven her up, would put her back up and make her ready to fight.

Plus she looked so hot when she was mad. And she must think the same of him, because she started more than her fair share of their fights.

The spark was gone. He missed it. He had never realized how much he had grown to expect it. To expect witty insults to some inane thing he did. And he knew that sometimes he flew off the handle, acted rashly.

Yeah, he knew it…. But the others were always to willing to just sit on their collective asses and wait it out. The world didn’t always give you that opportunity.

There was a knock at the door. It was Liz.

She looked surprised to see him there. “Um, hello, is Maria here?”

Michael just looked at her and grunted. He turned around and lead her to Maria. There was something about Liz, some edge he didn’t usually associate with her…..

“So how is she? Maria, I mean?”

“Pretty broken up. She loved Alex, you know.”

Liz said quietly, “Yeah, me too.”

Michael walked into the kitchen where Maria was nibbling at the lunch she had finally consented to eat. And Michael did not make a salad lightly.

Maria looked up. “Hey. Liz.”

“Maria. How are you feeling.”

Maria just gave a disbelieving glare at her friend.

Michael could not help the slight smirk forming at the corner of his mouth. Maybe the spark wasn’t all gone. Maybe there was a bit smoldering….

Liz hugged Maria, “I miss him so much!”

Maria just held her back, tears drifting down her cheeks.

Liz’s face remained dry. “We just have to get through this. One step at a time.”

Maria said in a rusty voice, “Are you okay?”

Liz said somewhat sternly, “I’m fine.” She gave a deep glance at Maria, as if weighing her mood. “I think I found something.”

“Found something?”

Michael’s ears perked up. It was probably just an accident, but you never know….

Liz pulled out a picture, one with Alex and another girl on it. Alex’s head was missing. “I found this in the wreck. It means something.”

Maria looked at the picture. And then back at Liz. She leaned back. The tears were back. “My God, Liz. How could you?”

“Look, Maria, look at it. Look how it is cut up. Why would his head be chopped off?”

“Stop it, stop it!” Maria fled to her room.

Michael began to follow her. He turned sternly to Liz. “You should go now.”

“But….”

“Liz. Now. Leave.”

“Michael she’s my friend….”

“Then LEAVE! Can’t you see you are hurting her? Do you even care?”

Liz looked mad and shaken. “Of course I care, she’s my best friend. My last best friend. The last person I can trust.”

Michael’s face remained impassive, but deep inside he was a shaken as Liz.

Is this what I look like? When I go off and do something I know is right, do I look just like Liz does now? Am I as… as callous?

Yes. Yes I do. Only normally I don’t care.

I don’t care.

Only this time it’s Maria who needs me. And she’s more important. More important than anything.

She needs me. Even if Liz might be the slightest bit right, Maria needs me.

Mentally he nodded to himself. It was Liz’s turn to be hated.

He had to take care of Maria first.

He rubbed his eyebrow, a nervous habit. “Right now the best thing you can do is leave her alone.” He placed one hand on her shoulder and lead her to the door.

She looked stunned as she stood there on the doorstep looking up at Michael. She was crying now. “Tell her I love her. Please. But I don’t, I can’t…”

“Liz…. She needs some time….. But if you find anything, let me know.” He quietly closed the door on Liz.

He went into Maria’s room and held her. Just held her until her sobs subsided.

A part of him wished he were on the hunt with Liz, to chase down the chance that Alex might have been deliberately harmed…. But the only person who it would have felt right to follow up leads with was in his arms.

And Maria was more important. More important than anything else in the world.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Weathering the Storm (CC, MM, Mature) Part 4 - 06/11/09

Post by PML »

Thanks as always to everyone following along this story.

chanks_girl- Thank you very much. The key is that in most stories we see the whole business from Liz's POV.... She hurt a lot of people on her mission to find Alex's killer. So I am not surprised about the ambivalence. On the other hand, I am trying to portray Tess's POV as I believe she might have thought. How many people truly consider themselves evil? How far is Tess willing to go to hide the truth?

As for Max, well that might still happen. He's holding together by a string, and he's good enough at hiding it that no one really understands how close he is to losing it. Except maybe Tess. If you consider the second season as a whole, and look at it from Max's perspective, the only person who has been consistantly nice to him and in his corner is her. And that will have an effect.

As for Isabel.... oh I have plans for her.

RhondaAnn- Thank you. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

Eva- Maria is a strong person, and more resilient than even she knows. And Michael is growing and trying to be responsible. Maria needs him and he is doing his best to be there for her like she has been there for him.

CandyLand- Isabel's reaction should be interesting. See my comments above about Max, Liz, and Max. Of course Michael would be interested in the possibility of something strange going on with Alex's death. I don't know if they were actually fast friends, but there was a degree of respect between them. It is just that Maria is more important. And if he wanted a partner to investigate something, it would not be Liz.

Nibbles2- Thanks

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended. Some scenes are taken in part from Cry Your Name.

Weathering the Storm part 5

Valenti-

The Sheriff was finishing up his paper work. He almost wished he could hit the roads for a little patrolling if only to take his mind off the Alex Whitman case.

He really did not like the way the evidence was pointing. But Hanson had been thorough. As much as Valenti wanted to deny it, it looked like Alex might really have taken his own life.

But why? That was what he didn‘t understand. He rarely did in these cases, but Alex in particular seemed to be having everything going his way…..

“Sheriff, there is a Miss Parker here to see you.”

“Thank you, send her in,” said one of the younger officers on the force.

The younger officer nodded and then stopped. “Sir, I just wanted to say, it is good to have you back.”

“Thanks.” He looked down at his mug and frowned. He hated the coffee here, but he was out…. “Hey, Jackson, can you get me cup of coffee when you get Miss Parker?”

“Sure thing, sir.”

A few minutes later Liz was walking in carrying a cup of coffee for him. There was a strange edge to her, one he found uncomfortable after reading what he had read about Alex. Maybe he should talk to the Parkers.

In her eyes resided an endless rage, the kind that made him itch. The kind of rage that could lead someone to take actions they would regret later. He had known Liz since she was a little baby, and he didn’t like to see her like this.

He rubbed his eyes tiredly. “How are you holding up, Liz? I got off the phone with Amy a little while ago, and Maria is taking it real hard.”

Amy was too. He’d actually spent lunch with her, perhaps a longer lunch than he could really afford on his first day back. But she had needed him.

Liz just shook her head, “I’m fine. I came here to show you something.” She reached into her purse and pulled out a photo.

The photo showed Alex and another blonde girl. Alex’s head was missing. It had literally been defaced.

Liz continued, “I went to the wreck and found it in the car. I know it means something.”

Hanson had shown him proof that Alex had been having a long distance relationship with a girl named Leanna from Sweden. A relationship he had broken going to Prom with Isabel.

It couldn’t be that simple could it? A broken promise to a girl a continent away?

Valenti sighed, “Yeah.”

“What?”

“Well, I don’t really know.”

She looked intensely at him, “Don’t give me that.” A slight pause, “You’re onto something aren’t you? And this is a clue.”

“Maybe,” he mumbled, “But we’re a long way off….”

“You have a theory. You know something. Alex was my best friend and I need to know!”

He looked at her for a moment, “Look this has been a long and difficult day for all of us. You should go home and….”

“No!”

“…try to get some rest.”

Liz’s words were like chipped ice, “I don’t need another grief counselor. I need answers. Something happened to Alex and you have an idea what it might be! You WILL tell me!”

Valenti just looked at her. Where had the calm girl gone? What had happened to the old Liz? He needed to talk to Max, and definitely her parents. If what he suspected of Alex turned out to be true…. “Liz you might not have noticed it, but on my chest is a badge. I am Sheriff again, and it is my obligation to find out what happened here. And I will. There is still a lot of work needed to be done on this case and…..”

“But you do have a theory.”

Valenti sighed, “Yes. Yes we do. And you are not going to like it. It is hard enough for me to believe it….”

“Sheriff, please. I know with every fiber of my being that something bad happened to him. And I WILL find out what, with or without your help.”

What to tell her? Liz was smart and determined. But she was still so young. Looking at her made him feel old. And to think that these children kept getting thrown into such circumstances….. “Okay, I’ll tell you. I do want you to know that I don’t like this anymore than you will, but all the evidence is pointing to Alex deliberately steering his car into the Semi.”

“What! Suicide? You think Alex…. No, there is no way. None.”

“Liz over the last few weeks people have noticed… changes in Alex. There was a shift in his attitudes and his grades had been slipping….”

“You can’t honestly believe Alex would kill himself over a couple of bad grades. This is Alex we are talking about here. He would never.”

Valenti showed the picture to Liz, “And this picture…. His face has been cut out. This is not a good sign, not a good clue. Particularly when in light of Alex’s relationship with the girl.”

“What girl?”

“Leanna, Kyle was talking about Alex and his blonde sweetheart he had met in Sweden.”

“Oh, her. But he seemed happy when he went to Prom with Isabel.”

“And Hanson will be talking with her as well. Liz it hurts me to even think of this as a possibility, but….”

“I don’t believe it. I don’t. I can’t. He wouldn’t do that. Not Alex.”

“Look, we might never understand why he might have done this…..”

Liz reached out and grabbed the photo from his hands, “Thank you for time.”

“Any time, Liz.”

Liz began to move swiftly from his office. She stopped at the door and turned around. “if you see Kyle, can you, can you wish him a Happy Birthday. It’s hard, but.”

“I’ll let him know.” He watched as Liz left. He took a sip of his coffee. He really would need to talk to the Parkers about Liz. And Max.

He took another sip. Hmm, not too bad. They must have changed the machine or at the very least the coffee pot.

He went back to the pile of paper he needed to finish before he could go to his son’s birthday party.

Why had he wanted this job back?

------
Max-

Max looked sadly at his best suit. The last time he had worn it was for a wedding. It hadn’t been anyone he had known or cared about, just one of his parents friends children.

He had hoped to wear it or one similar to his own wedding. His wedding to Liz.

He closed his eyes. That would never happen. Not now.

God how he loved her! He still loved her even now. Even when he knew that she did not love him the same. That she wanted him to move on. So that she could find someone else. Someone normal.

He sighed, holding back the tears. Even if he had known that Liz would never relent, never give him back the warmth he so desired, he still had hoped that the next time he dragged this suit out it would be a happy occasion.

Like a wedding of Isabel and Alex. Isabel had actually talked about it, had talked to him like she hadn’t in years, about her hopes and dreams. All before Prom. Before yesterday. Before last night.

When he had failed. When Alex had died.

Would she ever forgive him? Would she ever talk to him like that again?

And now Isabel wanted to run away to San Francisco. He had argued and pleaded. And she still would not relent. It was all she had talked about over dinner. Their mother was ecstatic for Isabel, if a little teary. Their dad was full of practical questions.

For a moment Max had thought he’d had an ally, someone who could veto her plans for him.

But no. His sister had spent half the day crying over Alex…. And the other half coming up with solutions to the problems of a sudden move.

June. He had until early June to make Isabel see sense.

They needed to stay together if they were going to be safe. Their enemies were still out there. The fact that it had been so quiet didn’t mean they weren’t out there.

Plus she had always been there. Always. He wasn’t ready to give that up.

He heard a rap at his window. It was Liz. He felt his heart speed up, like it always did. Why could it never learn that she didn’t want him anymore? All they had brought to each other was pain. No they were better apart…..

Would the pain ever leave?

“Hi, Max. I, I just had to talk to someone. I, I need a friend….”

“Come right in.” He watched as she awkwardly tried to climb through his window. He walked over and helped her in.

She felt so right in his arms, so very, very right. She smelled of sweat and strawberries, and her eyes were reddened from tears. The edge was still there, but it seemed tattered, weakened.

She looked soft and vulnerable and so very desirable. And in her eyes he could see her desire, but he could not see her. The gates to her soul were shut to him.

They stared at each other for a long moment, and Liz’s lips opened slightly as to kiss him. His heart began to pound.

Inside there was a voice screaming at him to kiss her. Kiss her and make her his. That all it would take would be one kiss and her mind and soul would open to him again.

It was so very close.

At the last moment she looked up at him sorrow and despair filling her eyes and moved away. “Thanks. It’s not as easy as it looks.”

The moment was lost. Lost forever.

But that little voice was still there, still urging for him to kiss her. To, to…. No. It was too late. It was over. For whatever reason she didn’t want him, not the same way he wanted her. Not enough to bridge the gap between them.

WHY! WHY DAMMIT! What happened, where did it go wrong?

Max felt that last little bit of hope die. The most he could hope for from Liz was to be friends. And that was all.

He looked away as he felt a crushing sense of guilt. What about Tess? She loved him. She cared for him. She was there for him.

Tess would never run from him. She would never flee difficulty, she would back him one hundred percent.

Tess was good for him in ways that Liz never had been. If only….

If only he felt one tenth for her the passion he felt for Liz. He liked Tess, liked her a lot. But for whatever reason Liz had always drawn him.

And that would have to stop. They were friends. Friends and friends alone.

“So how can I help you?”

“I, I don’t want to be alone. Can I, can I stay. At least for a little while?”

“Um, sure. Just let me check on Isabel….”

Liz’s stomach grumbled. She looked mortified.

“And I will fix you something to eat. How long has it been since you have eaten.”

“I, I don’t know. Yesterday maybe? Before, before….” She closed her eyes and a few tears slipped down.

“Well just hold on, I’ll be right back.” Max walked out of the room and closed his door quietly. It was late and his parents might have some questions about his having a girl in his room. Alone. Even a girl they liked.

He peeked into Isabel’s room. She was sleeping, her eyes moving in REM state. How he wished he could take away her pain. To bring the old Isabel back.

How he wished this whole horrid year had never happened.

He walked up to Isabel and sent a filament of healing energy into her. They never got sick, but they could get worn down.

Her body greedily sapped at the power he sent it. And she felt… different. Her body stressed.

Alex’s death must be hitting her hard, much harder than he had realized.

He sent Isabel another jolt and then walked off to scrounge up a late dinner for himself and Liz.

-------

Unbeknownst to Max he had decided the fate of one of Isabel’s children. Six fully viable eggs were now implanted and growing much faster than they would or could in a human. In fact five would be more accurately described as embryos at this stage…..

There was no way Isabel’s body could keep up this level of growth for her babies, her body’s abilities at internal molecular manipulation did have limits. But the first trimester was a danger period for both the babies and the mother. And Isabel, and for that matter Tess, were designed to speed up this risky period.

Antar needed heirs, not miscarriages or dead mothers.

And six would stretch Isabel’s body’s resources. Two other eggs flirted with viability…. But her body was not going to allow something that might harm the others…..

Until a wave of warm energy flowed through her, healing energy from her brother. Energy from the Granolith channeled though his Seal.

One more. Her body could hold one more. It channeled the energy through all of the other babies, but sent the majority to the extra egg it chose.

It would be special. Different. Sealed.

------
Isabel-

Isabel was dancing with Alex, enjoying the feel of him in her arms.

This was a dream, one from which she would wake. Wake to a cold and empty world.

But for now she would dream…..

------
Maria-

Maria quietly moved about her room. Both Michael and her mother were still out there. Still waiting for her to emerge again.

Liz had hurt her, hurt her bad. Why couldn’t she just grieve? Just let her emotions win, just for once? Didn’t she see that bottling them up just let them control her?

She sighed softly. Michael had the same problem. Only he would deny he had emotions sometimes. But they were there. Oh, they were there.

If only she could be sure that he wouldn’t leave her at some point. But he would. Someday he would and she had to live with that.

Could she survive that? Could she survive the fact that he would leave her. That one day, some sunny happy day, his people would come for him and he would go.

If Alex dying had nearly broken her….. Could she risk the damage Michael’s leaving would do?

Would she be able to let him go? To accept his love, for he did love her in his inept way, knowing that he would leave her?

That was the question that reverberated through her now.

And she just didn’t know.

What she did know was that despite all of the advice she had given to herself she was deeply, intensely in love with him.

She watched as Michael brought her mother a drink and they talked quietly to each other. Cordially. She was even smiling at him, and there was a trace of respect. Wow.

Her stomach grumbled. She had never gone back out to finish her salad after Liz had visited her. And she was hungry. Maybe she could just slip by and not disturb them…..

Both of them looked up as she tripped over a throw rug…..

Michael was there to steady her, his gaze searching.

She smiled wanly, “I’m fine. I didn’t mean to disturb you….” Her stomach grumbled again.

Michael nodded. “Do you mind, Mrs. Deluca?”

“No, go right ahead. I meant it when I said your welcome here.” Her gaze got intense again, almost a glare, “On the couch.”

Michael grunted in assent and half-dragged Maria into the kitchen. He gestured brusquely at a chair and began to open the refrigerator.

“I’ll just have a salad….”

Michael glared at her. “That’s not enough. You haven’t eaten anything all day.” He turned back to the refrigerator. “Hmmm….” And he began to grab things and placing them on the counter. A quick scan of the spice rack and he had a bunch of spices.

Maria watched him, watched as he cooked for her. A splash of this, a dash of that….. She wasn’t sure it would be edible but it certainly smelled great.

And she knew, just knew without a measure of doubt that he loved her too.

Her mother came in only once, and watched them both. There was a wistful, almost sorrowful gaze in her eyes as she watched them. “Good night you two. Pleasant dreams.” And her mother took one last sip of the drink Michael had given her. She set it down in the sink and left them both.

No recriminations or threats? No demands or warnings?

Her mom trusted Michael? If only a little bit?

She shook her head and let it go. She was hungry.

Michael set down two plates of hot steaming food.

Maria grabbed a fork and took a bite, the spices making it hot but good. And they shared a late dinner in silence.

Maria was full of things she wanted to say, but unable to find a way to start. And Michael had only a few short words he wished to say. But he was still not brave enough to vocalize them, not while she was awake. Not when he felt those words so intensely.

For now the silence was eloquent enough for both of them.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Weathering the Storm (CC, MM, Mature) Part 5 - 06/19/09

Post by PML »

Sorry that this part is late. Life has become... uncertain at the moment. As this is one of my primary methods of blowing off steam, the parts should keep flowing. (I actually have another story in the wings.) But, while I am going to try to maintain a regular posting schedule there might be slight bumps along the way.

Anyway, thanks to everyone following along this story. I hope you enjoy this part.

chanks_girl- Thanks. All of the characters are on edge, and the wisest thing for all involved would be to gather together as a family and protect each other. This unfortunately is not going to happen.... At first. Well, you will see.

Eva- Congratulations! My best wishes on you and your twins.

As for Isabel, I am afraid Max tipped her body in favor of adding just one more- She is now carrying seven. She is going to need lots and lots and lots of help. No matter what happens.

DeDe DR- Liz is one of the heroes of the piece.... But she is not one of the protagonists. As for the MM, well enjoy the moment, there are bumps ahead. For everyone. As for Isabel, uh, her life is going to get a little.... chaotic. As for Tess, she is going to have some hard choices ahead.

RhondaAnn- Thanks.

CandyLand- Thanks. I hope you continue to enjoy the story.

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended. Some ideas stemming from Cry Your Name are in this part.

Weathering the Storm part 6

Michael-

Michael tucked Maria into bed. “Hey, I’ll be sleeping in the next room, so if you need anything just call. And try not to kick off the covers.”

Maria looked up at him. “You could join me. Just for a little while….”

Michael was tempted, very tempted. But…. Caution, not his byword but something he did at least know about warned him it would be a very bad idea. First he was exhausted. The odds of him falling asleep in her arms were enormous. Unless they started doing something more exciting than just laying together.

The chance of which almost made him hop in right then. But he had promised Amy not to take advantage of Maria. And he would be. Maria was vulnerable at the moment. And she might forgive him or she might not.

Amy would not. She’d already chased him out of Maria’s bed once.

And Amy’s goodwill had become important to him. If only because Maria loved her.

Michael snorted. He needed to have his head examined. When had other peoples needs become so important to him? Why did he care? What had changed?

Oh yeah. He loved her. He still had no clue what to do about it, how to go about caring for someone. But he knew that taking advantage of them certainly was not part of it.

“What?”

“Don’t you remember the last time I fell asleep in your bed?”

“Oh. Um. Yeah. I, I never slept sounder in my life. I just, I just need to hold you for a little while. Please?”

“I promised your mom….” Michael reached out and lifted Maria and her blankets from the bed. “I can’t do it here, and I can’t promise I won’t fall asleep. But…” he carried her into the living room.

“Michael this is crazy….”

“Shush.”

“Don’t you shush me!”

“Maria, come on, I made a promise. A promise I really don’t want to keep. I want to hold you as you fall asleep, I do. But I’m tired, Pixie. I need to sleep myself. And Amy would never forgive me. But the couch. I can hold you there. And keep at least the letter of my promise to her.”

Maria lifted her tiny arms and wrapped them around his shoulders and kissed him lightly. She backed her head away slightly. She just looked at him, looked at him in a way that made him feel simultaneously proud and uncomfortable.

He sat them both down on the couch, still holding her.

She set her head against his chest and closed her eyes. He could all but feel the tension flow out of her as she fell deep asleep.

She trusted him.

Michael fell asleep with a smile on his face.

------
Amy

Hours later Amy would wake up. She had business to attend to before Alex’s funeral later on in the day. And she would see the two holding each other.

Her first response was anger at the thought of them sleeping together. And then she really looked at them. It could all be a pose. They could have been up to all sorts of nonsense last night.

Lord knew that twenty years ago in their place, she’d probably would have been.

But no. Not last night.

She would still have to watch them like hawks. She smiled slightly and walked out the door quietly.

Amy was halfway to the car when she ran back inside and quietly got her camera. They were just too cute…..

Plus if they did somehow last, it would be a great picture to needle them about. And to show the grandkids.

Of course those grandkids had better be ten or fifteen years away…. Okay, at least five……

For the first time since she had heard Alex had died a bubble of hope appeared in Amy’s heart. Maybe everything would work out after all, maybe they would weather this storm intact.

Amy left to go about her business.

------
Isabel

Isabel and Alex finally took a turn off of the dance floor for just a moment. Just to catch her breath.

Isabel felt so alive. She knew deep down this was just a dream, but she didn’t care.

Alex’s face was grave as they moved towards a table. He left and fetched them drinks.

Isabel sat down. She smiled and flushed with joy. Alex certainly knew how to move. It was like he could instinctually predict her every movement.

He came back from the refreshment table and handed her a glass. He did not sit down.

Isabel drank the offered drink. It was a rare ambrosia, her whole body tingled and felt like it was floating. She looked up at him and took in his grim expression. “Alex? What is wrong?”

He looked at her, love deep in his eyes. But determination was there as well. “I am not helping you. None of this is helping you. Or helping them.” He looked down. “I must go.”

“Alex, what are you saying? Please don’t leave me!”

“I must. You aren’t ready. And if I stay here you won’t ever be ready.”

“NO! No, please stay, please! When you, when you…..”

“When I died.”

Isabel swallowed deeply and nodded. “When you died I felt like a part of me died with you….”

“I sometimes forget how much of your own nature you don’t know. Or know consciously anyway…..” He shook his head. “I guess I’m part of your subconscious mind now, or something like that.” He shrugged.

Isabel couldn’t stop the tears. Couldn’t stop as all of it began to fade away.

As was the way in dreams everything changed. Gone was the grand celebration. Gone were the dancers and the music.

Alex and Isabel were now in the Crashdown, dressed as if they had just come here from school.

Alex reached out and held her for a timeless moment. But it was not the same. He was leaving.

He was leaving her.

And her heart was breaking. There was so much pain. So much pain filled her from head to toe.

He pulled away, despite her attempts to hold him to her. His eyes glittered with so much hidden knowledge. “Yes, a tiny bit of me. I am really here, really real. Wow. I Did not expect this.”

“Alex, please! You don‘t have to go!”

His eyes began to glitter, to glow. “Yes. Yes. I think I understand. I must do it. For them. For all of them.”

“I don’t understand. Why do you have to go?”

“Because I must. You won’t heal if I stay, not in the form I am now. But I will tell you, dear heart, that I love you and I will always be there when you truly need me.”

“I need you now!”

“There are things that I must do. I know you need me, but I am not helping.” He smiled, “But there is a way, a way I can help you. But for that I must go.”

“Please, Alex, not now. Just stay with me a little longer…..”

“I will leave you with one thing, on bit of knowledge. What you feel, what you sense, it is more than just grief. Although that does play a part. You feel, you sense that a part of you has died. Because it has. And a part of me lives on in you. And while I would love to stay with you forever, there are things that I must do.”

“Will I ever see you again?”

“If you need me, and if I can truly help you. Good bye, Isabel.”

“I love you Alex.”

“I think we both know how I felt about you.” And he was gone.

Isabel woke up with a gasp. It had only been a dream…..

But the pain, the pain she had felt was very real. Her head ached and her muscles cramped. And depths of her soul there was an emptiness that felt like it would never heal and never fill.

And she was hungry. Very hungry.

It was still very late, long before anyone else would be awake. Or should be.

Isabel quietly, if stiffly, padded into the kitchen. She shook her head at the dishes in the sink. Max had also had a late night snack. Quite a large one too.

She grabbed some fruit and also a box of cereal and headed back to her room. She could always use her powers to get every last crumb she might spill on her bed.

And she saw the light gleaming beneath Max’s door. She walked over and thought she heard voices. She placed her palm on the door and used her powers to eavesdrop.

Max and Liz. Only they were talking about Alex.

Tears sprung in her eyes. But she listened as they told of their memories of him. She knocked lightly at the door before opening it.

She almost would have been happier if they had both been in Max’s bed, arms intertwined. But no. The wall between them remained.

A wall that Isabel feared she had helped to build. And now regretted. For one look and she could see they both loved each other. Were haunted by the fact they loved each other. And yet would never be a couple. Not again.

She took one look at both of them, and saw in them herself. Denying what they both desired. Both too stubborn to bend enough, to talk it all through.

Max stood, “Isabel?”

Isabel burst into tears.

They had all lost so much…. Why did the two of them apart make her fear that they would lose more….

-------
Maria-

Maria was having a very strange dream. She was walking through a desert that seemed both very familiar and very strange. There were strange red symbols stenciled on the desert.

Really weird.

A voice whispered in her head, “Go to them….” A voice that sounded almost like Alex.

Oh God, Alex, why did you have to die?

She continued her walk, her seemingly aimless walk…. But she knew somehow that she was being… guided somewhere.

Maria almost missed it. Almost missed the tiny cave that seemed to open up from no where. It looked dark, but not scary.

There was something there, she could, could feel it. But she was reluctant to go.

For a brief moment, she thought she saw Alex deeper in the cave.

Maria gathered her courage and went after him.

The cave dead ended in a pool. A pool that shone in the dark.

And it called to her. Welcoming her.

“Don’t worry, Auntie Maria is here.” She began to strip down to her panties and bra and sat down in the water.

And felt as it fed off of her. As it fed off of her, body and soul.

But she had promised. She had promised she would take care of them. And so she would.

-----

Maria was not the only one in that dreamscape.

He watched as the human girl, cute bordering on pretty, placed herself in the pool.

Only he knew what it meant. And he wondered why the girl was alone. Where were the others?

He pulled himself from the dream. There were so many questions.

What was he going to do?

He had always done his job from a distance. Aric had always believed in the hands on approach and look where that had gotten him. Dead.

As far as he knew he was the last. The last Protector. All the others had fallen along the way.

They had all scoffed at his plans, at his immersion in the human world. Where was the harm? If they were going to be stuck here they might as well build lives…. Plus the money he had accumulated was quite useful.

Not to mention he loved his job. His human job. The one he had been sent here to perform…. Well, fifty years was a long time.

And it wasn’t like the plan dictated that this had to be the generation that returned, now did it? No, let them build up numbers. Build up strength.

Hell, live lives not rooted in the Royal Court. It had been poisonous enough when he had been there before the coup, he could only imagine what it must be like under the usurper and fifty plus years of civil war…

No, it would be better if they stayed here.

But if that dream meant what he thought it did, he needed to get to Roswell sooner than later.

Kal Langley reluctantly rolled out of bed.

It was going to be a long day.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Weathering the Storm (CC, MM, Mature) Part 6 - 06/29/09

Post by PML »

Thanks to everyone following along this story.

Eva- my condolences and best wishes. Hopefully everything will remain well for the other child.

As for Michael and Maria, that will make a cute picture in the future. A fond memory in a time of pain. As for Maria's dream, well she just thought it was an odd dream.

Kal knows better. And you will be seeing more of him.

Tequathisy- And there will be times he might need to be reminded of it. As for Kal, well he is a Hollywood producer. And he was being a little harsh.

Chanks_girl- Hey, Amy did say he was welcome on the couch!

Isabel is going to need all the strength she can muster. And the day will come that she will be strong enough to be on her own. Alex had reasons for doing what he did. And what he is doing. Future parts will bear that out.

Kal is not happy about it. You will see a bit of him in the next part. And the dream Maria was part of is one of the reasons he will be involved.

RhondaAnn- Thanks. The babies are doing nothing to Maria. Yet. All Maria has had at this point is a strange dream. And as I told you, what will happen isn't really fair.

They will cherish that photo.

DeDe PR- Kal has a duty to perform. As for that dream, well at the moment it is nothing more than a dream.

That will change.

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended. Some scenes and a bit of dialogue from Cry Your Name.

Weathering the Storm part 7

Tess looked at her watch. 4 am. What the hell was Liz doing at Max’s house at 4 am?

She herself could not sleep. She kept seeing Alex’s eyes as she mind warped him that last time. The look as his awareness vaporized under her powerful mind’s grip.

That disturbed her. Yes it did. But the nightmare grew worse. For sometimes it would be Kyle. Or the Sheriff.

The last time it had been Max. She had dreamt she had killed him. Had felt as his mind was slowly ground down and his presence dissipated, leaving only a hollow shell.

She had woken screaming, waking both Kyle and the Sheriff. Kyle had held her for well over an hour until her shaking had stopped.

The Sheriff had offered her a brandy until Kyle told him why that was a bad idea. Funny story. If she hadn’t been so rattled she would have laughed.

Kyle could always make her laugh.

Too bad he was only human.

Eventually they had gone to bed, at her behest. And let her sleep. Only she kept seeing Max die….

She had to see him.

And now Tess was here only to find Liz had once again gotten there first.

At least Isabel was in the room with them. They wouldn’t try any funny stuff with Isabel present. Certainly not under the circumstances.

Once more she cursed the fact she couldn’t affect Liz more than she could. And both Max and Isabel would sense if she tried to manipulate them. They wouldn’t know it was her, but they would know someone was playing with their mind.

She watched them comfort Isabel for quite a while. There had to be some way to get her out of there….

Ah, of course. She couldn’t manipulate those three…. But the parents….

She crept quietly out of her SUV and walked over to the house. And she moved closer to the master bedroom. She smiled slightly as she closed her eyes and reached out. There they were. Mr. Evans would be the most effective for her purposes. But to be on the safe side she woke them both.

And prompted Mr. Evans to check on his children. Only not quietly. No she didn’t want Max or Isabel to get in trouble. Just for Liz to be out of the picture.

When she heard Max’s window open she knew she had been successful. She waited a few moments before looking around the corner. And saw a small figure walking down the empty street.

Liz was walking home.

Alone.

Good.

She sidled over to Max’s window and watched as he regarded the suit he had hanging up. The suit he would wear at Alex’s funeral.

She closed her eyes and felt for the others in the house. Everyone was still awake. But everyone save Max was now in the kitchen.

Coffee.

She yawned. She could use a cup herself. Too bad it was too early or she would drop by.

So she watched Max as he changed and got ready for the few hours of sleep remaining for him. She was feeling a little stalkerish at that point.

But he was so pretty. She wanted to just open his window and …..

She smiled as she day dreamed at what they could do together.

But he wasn’t ready yet. Still clinging to mousy little Liz. But he was almost there.

And she was ready. So very ready.

Tess quietly walked back to her SUV and planned her seduction of Max Evans. He would be hers as he had been before. Hers forever.

Forever and always.

-------
Maria

Maria felt like her heart was breaking as the funeral continued. Liz had remained focused, like she wasn’t really even there.

She needed Liz so much now and Liz simply wasn’t there. Still focused on Alex’s death so much that she couldn’t grieve let alone help Maria.

Maria felt like her world was collapsing around her. The only saving grace right now was Michael.

He was there for her.

So she sang Amazing Grace, half to Alex and half to Michael.

What would she do without him?

------
Max

Max stood with Tess during the funeral. She had been clingy the whole day.

And yet it hadn’t bothered him as much as it used to.

They had met for breakfast in what might very well become a ritual, in the way he used to stop by for a late lunch at the Crashdown.

He looked over at Liz. And part of him felt for her. She had loved Alex so much. And he agreed with her that Alex would never have committed suicide. Never.

He looked over at Isabel holding on to her parents. This was so hard for her. And he could understand why she wanted to run away. But where could she run to?

She could never truly get away from who and what she was.

And Max needed her. He needed all of them. She had always been there. A constant presence. But how could he convince her to stay?

The service ended and Tess gave him a quick kiss before heading back to her SUV.

Max walked over to the Sheriff. It was good to see him back in uniform. It looked right on him.

And having him there was useful.

The Sheriff looked up at Max and said, “If this is about what I discussed with Liz, I have nothing to apologize for.”

“Then you really think Alex…..”

Sheriff Valenti sighed and adjusted his hat and put on his mirror shades. “Max this is a hard time for all of us, believe me. I am having my troopers look through everything. Well everything that won’t link back to you, anyway. I don’t like it anymore than you do.”

“But suicide? Alex? Come on!”

“I thought I might see you. Here, read the report. Trust me this isn’t a decision I would make lightly. But nothing else makes sense. Read it Max.”

And Max did.

He did not like what he found.

------
Isabel

Isabel felt wrapped in fog. This couldn’t be happening. They couldn’t have just buried Alex. This all had to be some horrible dream.

How could she still be living if Alex was gone?

She had been grieving, had felt the nagging emptiness before. But the sheer cold reality hadn’t set in until she had seen his coffin lowered into the ground.

And buried.

Now she was just running on autopilot. Nibbling on various bits of food.

She was so hungry. So very hungry. Like she hadn’t eaten for a long time.

And her body hurt and her head ached. Like she had needed anything else to add to the general terrible events her period had started up two weeks early.

It was a good thing she was so tired, so weepy or she’d be unbearable. She hated when she got cranky. She preferred to use her temper as a tool, her wit as a weapon. But when she was feeling like this the temptation to lash out was usually unavoidable.

And it could be such work to repair a relationship when a caustic word spoken in anger was unleashed without cause or further planning.

She hated feeling out of control.

Her world was spinning like a top. She wanted to get off.

June could not come soon enough.

She was talking to Kyle on automatic, answering his questions casually. That was the good thing about Kyle. When he was your friend, he was your friend.

Isabel looked over at Maria. She was taking this hard too. She wished she wasn’t so broken. That she could help the smaller girl.

Hopefully by then they would both be together enough to actually help each other.

Isabel had meant it when she said she wanted to be friends with Liz and Maria. She still did. She just needed…. Needed some time to repair her heart a little.

Tess walked up and grabbed her arm.

“What is it, Tess?” Isabel noticed that Kyle was no longer looking at her the way he used to. He looked at Tess the same way he looked at Isabel. A good and trusted friend. And nothing more.

To think that just a little while she had placed a personal bet that they would either be sleeping with each other or in a serious relationship by the end of the year.

When had her instincts grown so bad? First Liz and Max, and now Kyle and Tess. Her own foray in relationship land had gone further and faster than anticipated.

And then…..

Isabel closed her eyes to stop the tears from coming. For a moment she thought they would fall, but her old skills held up.

She would not cry. Not here. Not right now.

Tess and Kyle looked at her expectantly.

“Sorry, I missed that.”

Tess said softly, “Liz wants to speak with all of us for some reason. She said it was important.”

Isabel followed them into another room, this one unoccupied. The guest room.

Liz stood at the other end of the room, near the window pacing. The group settled into their little groups. Maria with Michael. Tess with Max. Kyle sat near Liz.

That would explain it. Isabel really couldn’t see the fire there, but maybe that rumor from earlier on in the year was actually true. Maybe Liz and Kyle really did have a casual thing going on.

But if so she really didn’t know Liz as well as she thought. Kyle, well he could see Kyle…. Well maybe. If Liz really wanted to.

Isabel stood alone.

Always alone. Except for a brief happy time. A time that could have been so much longer if she had only been wiser!

Liz began to talk, “This may come as a surprise to some of you but the Sheriff is close to finishing the case involving Alex’s death.”

The room was quiet.

Liz dropped her bombshell. “He is going to declare it a suicide.”

Isabel felt as her legs gave way. By a supreme effort she did not fall. She walked over and leaned against the wall. She added her voice to the general disagreement over the thought of Alex committing suicide.

Everyone added their voice except one. Her brother. His eyes were dark and full of pain. He looked briefly in her direction.

Maria shook her head dramatically, “Not possible. Our Alex? No way!”

Max spoke up. His voice was quiet but certain. Isabel recognized that voice. He had used it on her often enough when he knew something she would not like. “I’m not so sure.”

Liz fixed him with a laser-like glare.

Isabel just felt as yet another support crumbled.

Her own brother thought Alex had killed himself!

He continued, “I have read the report that the Sherrif’s office is working on. It, look I don’t like it any more than the rest of you. But, but they were thorough.” Max looked again in her direction. “Very thorough.”

Michael shook his head’ “I can’t believe it is suicide.”

“That is because it is impossible!” Maria reached back and gave Michael a small kiss before giving Max a death glare. “And I can not believe you would think so!”

Liz smiled at her friend before continuing her attack, “It wasn’t suicide and I can prove it. Here, these tickets to Beth Orton. Two of them. For both of you I am sure Isabel.”

Isabel nodded sadly. Alex had told her about them. She had been excited about it. Not just the concert, but being there with him. She could feel the pressure building up again.

She would not cry.

Liz continued, “ You don’t make firm plans if you don’t plan to be there.”

“Two concert tickets? This is over two concert tickets? Um, isn’t that kind of slim evidence? If the report is as thorough as Max says….”

“Like you know anything. I knew Alex. And there is no way….“

Max spoke up, “I talked with Valenti about this. I, I didn’t believe Alex might do this. But, but its not always planned….”

And Isabel saw something she would have laughed to see under different circumstances.

Michael trying to be the voice of reason.

“Look, this is pointless. Fighting amongst ourselves won’t help anything. It doesn’t matter what is in the report. We knew Alex. And know he wouldn’t do that. It was an accident. A horrible tragic accident.”

Liz’s voice was sharp as a knife. “Alex’s death was no accident. Alex was murdered.”

Tess was caustic. “Murdered? How could you murder someone on the highway like that. His car speed into an oncoming semi!”

“An alien could have done it. Maybe Khivar knew that Isabel and Alex….”

Rage was the only thing holding Isabel together right now. The thought that Alex died, because of who she was, of who she had been…..

She was so frightened that it was true. With one comment Liz had demolished the little bit of self repair Isabel had managed.

Tears streamed down her face now. Unstoppable.

“That is not what happened here!” Max was calm so much, held his temper so well so much of the time you could forget it was there. But it was out in force now. Max got up, squeezed Tess’s hand and walked over to hold Isabel.

Tess just laughed at Liz with complete contempt and moved over towards Isabel. “You are grasping at straws.”

Michael shook his head, and looked at all of his friends. “Guys, this isn’t helping. It was just an accident.”

Liz shook her head, “If there is one thing meeting you guys has done is convince me that there are no coincidences in our lives. Something happened to Alex.”

Isabel bit out, “That’s not proof. None of this is proof that we had anything to do with this!”

“You have to admit….”

“I have to admit nothing. You know nothing. Nothing about us or our world.”

Liz said calmly, “All that you know, all that you have found out has been with our help. I think I deserve to be heard out.”

Isabel looked at her. Liz was right. Maybe. Maybe she should listen.

But she couldn’t, simply couldn’t take it any more.

And so she fled.

She ran the whole distance home, ignoring all of Max’s and Michael’s and even Tess’s pleas to join them. She threw herself in her room and cried.

And cried.

For there was part of her that so feared that what Liz said was true. That her past had killed Alex. That had been why she had stayed so far away from him for so long.

But she had watched as the others fell in love, and she wanted it. And she wanted Alex. Just the essence of him.

He wasn’t older, he wasn’t rich. He couldn’t protect her in anyway save one. He could call her on her own bullshit. Could see through her lies and self deception and tell her the truth.

And she had needed that. Needed him.

And he was gone.

Isabel was alone. Lost and alone.

-------
Michael-

Michael watched as the group shattered before his very eyes.

They might not recover from this. Might never gather together as friends again.

He needed to calm some of the down. He needed to go. He looked over at Maria and glanced at the door the others had left through.

She sighed and nodded.

He kissed her briefly.

And followed his fellow hybrids.

He reached Max before he got to the Jeep.

“Need a ride Michael?”

“No. What the hell went on back there.”

“She’s wrong Michael. She has to be.”

“What is she is not wrong. Have you given some thought to that.”

“But why would they attack Alex?”

“Soft target for maximum gain. I mean look at us. We are completely at each others throats.”

“No. I still don’t buy it. What is worse, her actions are drawing a lot of attention. Attention we do not need.”

That much Michael agreed on.

Max continued. “Maybe it would be better if we let them cool off for a while. And if, God forbid, Liz is right, our being next to them, caring for them is just laying them out as targets. Maybe….”

“You mean Maria.”

Max looked at him. “I can still give you a lift.”

“No.” If their loved ones were targets, if the closer they got the more danger they were in…. Maybe he should cool it with Maria.

The thought of her hurt, let alone dead…..

He closed his eyes and began the long walk home.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Weathering the Storm (CC, MM, Mature) Part 7 - 07/05/09

Post by PML »

I had not planned on posting this quite yet. But sleep is not coming easily tonight. So here you go. I should warn you. This part is dark dark dark.

Eva- Tess, well Tess is focused on her agenda at the moment. And she was trained to see people as tools.

DeDe PR- All of the characters are under lots of stress in this story. Even Tess. She can't sleep because she is afraid she is going to kill someone. Add in her desire to beat Liz, and her need to win over Max, and well, yeah. Not a nice person.

nibbles2- Thank you.

Chanks_girl- Tess fluctuates. She really does want to be a good person. But she has habits and ways of seeing people and situations that are not conducive to that outcome. She wants to have it both ways,and doesn't yet fully get that she can't.

Right now Michael is the only one who is detached enough to see what is happening. Everyone else is too emotional. Which is ironic as this is the reverse of what often happened in the earlier episodes.

Thank you.

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended. Maybe a touch of Its Too Late and Its Too Bad.

A/N- Just in case you missed the beginning, this part is dark, dark, dark. At least I think so. You have been warned.

Weathering the Storm part 8

Michael-

Michael stood hidden and watched Maria eat lunch. On the table she was sitting at was a spread of pictures.

She and Liz were doing a retrospective for the yearbook.

There had been a debate about it ever since Alex had been declared a suicide as to whether it should be included. That report had shocked the school body of West Roswell. Some said they had seen signs. Others couldn’t believe it.

Michael didn’t really care. He had known the man, and he doubted that Alex would have killed himself. He might have been annoying at times, but he had a core of courage.

Michael unconsciously rubbed his cheek where Alex had slugged him a few months back. No he had not lacked courage. And Alex had cared deeply for his friends.

Isabel. It always came down to Isabel. Alex had loved the girl.

And love could make you do some pretty stupid things.

It had been three days. Three days since he had last held Maria.

Three days of watching her from afar.

Michael felt a hand on his shoulder. He spun and faced Max.

Max looked past Michael. He sighed. “It really is for the best, Michael. To let her go. To let them go and live their lives. I’ve been listening in, and I’ve been thinking. We have really ruined their lives. Look at her. A couple of years back Liz and Maria had been inseparable. And now?”

“It hasn’t been all bad Max. Not even with you and Liz.”

Max winced. “Maybe not. She made her choice. When she pulled away last summer, I should have just gotten the message.”

“So you and Tess?”

Max shrugged. And then his eyes seemed drawn back to the table.

Liz was talking to Maria.

Michael could not quite keep a smirk from his face. Some things just didn’t change.

They both watched the two girls who had captured their hearts.

Max broke the silence. “It is better this way.”

“Why?”

“Because of who and what we are. Look Michael, this is never going to go away. It is always going to be hanging over our head. Look this summer you were all for staying away from them, and being prepared for the worst. Well you were right. And maybe Tess is right too.”

Wow, she’s really got you wrapped around her finger already. But is she right. Is Tess right about our Destiny?

“What do you think they are talking about?”

“Liz is probably accusing us of something else now.” Max sighed again and pulled his eyes from watching Liz. “Michael, I need a favor.”

“Sure.”

“Can you talk with Isabel? She’s still got this idea that she’s leaving. And we need to stick together.”

Michael nodded. He knew that. Deep in his bones he knew that they were only truly safe together.

It had been one of the reasons he hadn’t left last year.

The other being that there were those he loved in Roswell. Max. Isabel. And although he wouldn’t have admitted it at the time, Maria.

Maria.

Michael closed his eyes in tired pain. Last summer had been painful. But now….

Last summer she hadn’t needed him. Not like she needed him now.

Only pride and fear kept him from stalking out to her table right this moment. He was even starting to believe he could sense where she was even when he couldn’t see her.

Like Max with Liz.

But what was the right thing to do? His very presence might endanger her!

“So, will you help me, Michael?”

“Yeah. Sure. I’ll talk with Iz.”

“Thanks. We need to stick together.” Max clapped him on the shoulder and left.

Michael watched Liz and Maria a little longer. There was still a strain between them. Liz was still asking too many questions.

Michael just wished he could be sure that Liz was wrong. That it had just been an accident.

The problem was, that as annoying as Michael found her, Liz was often right.

There really could be a murderer out there stalking them.

He needed to keep watch on Maria. Make sure she stayed okay.

But maybe it was still better if he didn’t get too close. Just watch her and keep her safe.

-------
Isabel-

Isabel was simply going through the motions. The only thing that motivated her now was getting the hell out of Roswell.

To get away from all the memories that plagued her. In her mind’s eye she saw Alex everywhere. In everything.

She had not realized how much of her life he really had become. She had known he was important. That she loved him.

She had thought she had known how much she had needed and wanted him before his death.

She was wrong. So very wrong. By a large margin.

Without him, everything felt cold and barren.

And she kept feeling like there was someone watching her. Watching her every move.

She did not see Michael as he grabbed her arm.

“We need to talk.”

Well, Hi Michael. Nice to see you, too.”

“Can it Iz, we have something important to talk about.”

“If Max sent you to convince me about not going to San Francisco….” Isabel saw the surprise on Michael’s face. “That’s it isn’t it? God, this is like the alien Mafia. It is my life. Mine and not yours. Or that stupid brother of mine.”

“I never said that it wasn’t….”

“You don’t have to. Trust me I have heard all the arguments. And it is final. I am leaving.”

“Isabel, now is not the time to be making a snap…..”

“This is NOT a snap decision you ass. Do you think I could arrange for something this fast all by myself? I’ve been working on this for months.”

“And you never told us? When were we going to find out? When you were gone?”

Isabel looked away. “After I learned about who I was….”

Michael grabbed her arm again. “Not here. Not safe.”

Isabel let herself be dragged. People were looking at them. There had been a time she had cared.

That Isabel was dead.

That Isabel had denied and pushed away Alex. Until too late.

And now he was dead.

Unconsciously she rubbed her belly. The worst of the cramps had come and gone. But she still felt off. Different. Strange.

Michael pulled them into the second floor eraser room. It had been occupied by a couple of sophomores. Who looked surprised at Michael all but throwing them out of the room. Odds are they had thought the door had been locked.

Odds are it had been.

Maybe they would have fought him, but Michael could be a tad bit intimidating at times.

Isabel couldn’t help a small smile. “I presume you haven’t been listening to Tess like my brother and set this up as a starting tryst. Cause while I love you, I love you like a brother. You really aren’t my type.”

Michael snorted. “Not a chance.” He shook his head. “You were right though. I think you should reconsider.”

“Reconsider? Why?”

“You are acting on instinct, acting out of an emotional response…..”

“You are saying I’m being too emotional? Letting it influence my reactions? You? Don’t you do that with everything?” Isabel couldn’t help but feel tears start to well in her eyes.

She’d been feeling highly emotional. And she was getting really tired of crying.

Not that it stopped the tears.

Michael shrugged. “Doesn’t make it right. You should wait. See how you feel in a little while. After the pain begins to subside….”

“Michael. How would you feel if Maria died? Do you think you would ever recover? Wouldn’t you want to leave?”

Michael looked at her for a moment. “Yes. Yes I would. And Isabel I have less holding me here than you do. You still have you parents. Me, all I have is you, Max, and Maria.”

“So why do you expect me to stay.”

“For the same reason I would. What if we need you? Who ever sent us here was careful about making sure we stayed together. The three of us. We need to stick together. I, I have watched as we have drifted apart, and it scares me. It frightens me that Liz might be right and what are we doing? Scattering in a million directions. What if this is what they want?”

“I never would have expected you to back Liz.”

“I don’t know that she’s right, but I don’t know that she’s wrong either. And she’s been right too often for me to just dismiss her.”

“What does Maria think?”

Michael looked down. His expression pained. “I don’t know.”

“What? Michael I thought you were arm in arm? You two seemed so close at Alex’s funeral….”

Michael just looked at her.

Isabel couldn’t stop crying. It was all falling apart. All the good things.

All the hope.

Michael comforted her.

------
Tess-

Tess watched as the two younger teens had been evicted from the infamous eraser room. Which was a shame as she’d been tempted to try her luck with Max in that very room.

She’s been worried about Liz being in his room a few days ago. But he really seemed ready to move on.

Better yet, he seemed willing to listen to her counsel.

And the kisses. Lets not forget the kisses. Tess’s cheeks heated up just on the memory.

They would be having another ‘study’ date tonight.

The trick was to push him as far as he was willing to go without alienating him.

She sighed. Why couldn’t Max just be a guy and jump her? It wasn’t like she hadn’t been sending him signals ever since she’d gotten to Roswell.

Still things had been looking up lately.

Except for Liz. Liz was still a major problem.

But she had a plan.

Liz still had some respect and trust from her friends, even if they weren’t fully on speaking terms at the moment. And the last thing Tess needed was for them to think an alien had harmed Alex.

So she needed to alienate the girl. Make sure that none of her friends listened to her.

She saw Maria walking down the hallway and smiled. This was too good an opportunity to miss.

Plus she had always disliked the girl. Maria had never been willing to give her an inch. Always suspicious of her.

And that rankled.

If Tess spun this situation well enough though, it would spell the end of her friendship with Liz. And her relationship with Michael would likely be over too.

Tess walked up to Maria, “Hi.” She readied a light warp, prompting the right questions….

“Oh, hi Tess,” Maria looked thoughtful for a moment. “Have you seen Michael?”

Tess controlled her face. Look too much like she was hiding something and the girl would be suspicious. Not enough and Maria wouldn’t see what Tess wanted her to see. Cue a slight blush, “Um, no.”

Maria’s eyes sharpened, “Look Tess, just be straight with me. What is the worst boyfriend in the world doing now?”

“Uh, Maria, I really…..” Quick surreptitious glance at Eraser Room. The trick was to make it seem uncontrived. Instinctual.

Maria was actually fairly observant about some things.

Maria rolled her eyes and walked over to the infamous door. It was supposed to be locked at all times.

Tess closed her eyes and manipulated Maria. Stirring her suspicions and latent jealousy. Tess was pretty sure that Michael and Isabel were just talking. Much as it would suit her plans for them to be together, she had long ago given up on that part of the plan.

Tess wasn’t quite sure what Maria would be seeing or hearing. This was one of the tricks she had picked up from the Book. Maria’s mind would connect the dots and devise a reason for the feeling that Tess was implanting in her.

Maria watched as Maria got progressively angry and desperate.

What was she hearing?

Maria opened the door.

Tess saw Michael holding and comforting a sobbing Isabel. Neither one paying any attention to the outside world.

Or Maria.

For a moment it looked like Maria would attack them. Would launch into Michael and Isabel…..

And then Tess saw Maria break. Witnessed it with her own eyes.

Maria closed the door quietly and walked back to Tess, “Thank you,” she said quietly and she walked away.

Tess pushed other things on the girl.

The idea that it was all Liz’s fault. That Liz pushing Michael away had lead him into Isabel’s arms. That he had comforted her in more than just one way.

All Liz’s fault.

Tess watched as the dejected girl walked away. Broken.

Completely broken.

Part of her felt like she should be cheering.

But the jubilation wouldn’t come. She just felt tired.

They had loved each other. And she had ruined it.

She had stolen another of her family’s loves as surely as she had killed Alex. Tess closed her eyes.

She hadn’t expected it to hurt.

What was she doing?

She had promised herself that she would help her friends. Not hurt them.

Somehow she would have to make it up to them. Up to them all.

Even Maria.

She owed Michael that.

------
Maria-

Maria didn’t even bother going to fifth period. She just walked out the front door and kept walking.

Walking home.

Trying to clear her head. Trying to remove those moans and sighs.

And the sight of Isabel and Michael’s half dressed bodies intertwined.

Now she knew why Isabel hadn’t approached her since the funeral. Or Michael.

She closed her eyes. She nearly got hit by a car as she crossed one street.

Not that it would have mattered. Surely it would have hurt less.

She was going to miss the Yearbook meeting after school. But what was the point. They weren’t ready.

Liz had been no help at all, using the opportunity Mr. Whitman had given them to look for clues in Alex’s room.

Liz was obsessed.

She wished her mom was in town. But she’d had to go to Albuquerque for Sean’s hearing.

Maria was all alone.

So she walked home. She called out for her shift at the Crashdown. She just couldn’t deal with it.

She ate some ice cream, but it just wasn’t the same without someone to share it with. Someone to talk to.

No TV, no movie or music could fill the void that had opened up inside her.

She was alone. Entirely alone.

No one was there for her. And she needed someone anyone to be there for her. Right now. Right this moment.

But she was alone. All alone.

No one loved her.

Maybe they never had.

Her father certainly hadn’t.

Maybe he’d been right about that. Maybe no one was here because she didn’t deserve it.

Maybe that is why Michael would do that to her.

Maybe she was meant to be alone.

She drew a hot bath and gathered the best bath salts either she or her mom had. She lit fragrant candles and sniffed various aromatherapy jars.

And it still hurt. It all still hurt so bad.

Her cell phone rang. Maria debated not picking it up.

Who would want to call her?

But she walked over and checked it anyway.

It was Liz.

“Hey Maria, I have been looking through all of the photographs and charting Alex’s itinerary. I think if I can just find out what happened there, maybe talk to Leanna…..”

“Liz.”

“What.”

“Leave me alone.”

“But I….”

“LEAVE ME ALONE! I HATE YOU! SO JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!” Maria snapped the phone closed and threw it at the wall.

It shattered her mirror.

Heh. Seven years of bad luck.

Looks like it already started early.

She looked down and carefully walked back to the tub.

She would clear the glass later.

Maybe. If she could bring herself to care.

She sat back down in the warm soothing water. And thought about how all her life had gone wrong.

She closed her eyes and felt that dream again. Of the pool. Of her life leaking into it.

Maybe it was a sign. Maybe, maybe she should listen to it.

Her eyes began to tear a little as she made her plan. And grabbed a large shard of glass.

As her blood seeped into the warm water and her mind began to drift, she almost felt she could hear voices. Or more specifically a voice.

Alex’s voice.

And it said, “Not like this, no. Please, Maria, not this. I didn’t mean this…..”

And maybe she would have paid more attention.

But she was so tired.

So very tired.

She thought she heard a disturbance, but the night had fallen.

And it was time to sleep.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Weathering the Storm (CC, MM, Mature) Part 8 - 07/15/09

Post by PML »

Well, I apologize for taking so long to get this part up. Most likely the next one won't take quite as long. (Hopefully back to the usual seven/eight day rotation.) Thanks for everyone following along.

Eva- Well in this part Michael is going to attempt to save Maria. (I'd say he's got a good shot. Although he might need some help from his friends.) As for Tess, well she's conflicted, as you will see in this part. She wants to complete her mission and she is beginning to value the human parts of the group.

Unfortunately these are mutually exclusive goals at the moment.

tequathisy- Maria is in a very dark place. Very dark. And made so much worse by Tess's mindwarp. I agree, I don't think Tess realized the enormity of what she had done. When you use the heavy artillery in a casual manner you will get collateral damage.

Thank you.

DeDe PR- I was aiming for things to seem fairly light only to drift increasingly out of control. Last part effectedly ended the first act of the story.

Thanks for the bump.

Nibbles2- Thanks. Tess is casually playing with the fabric of the minds of her victims. She is not paying enough attention to the possible side effects of her actions. She didn't mean to kill Alex, she did not mean to destroy Maria..... But she did. And there is no guarentee that she is done.

somewhere87- I'm back. Hopefully you enjoy the part. (Thanks for the bump.)

Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended. Some allusions and a tiny bit of dialogue from Its Too Late and Its Too Bad.

Weathering the Storm part 9

Isabel-

Isabel was not sure how long Michael had held her. She could almost see the look of suffering on his face.

Poor Michael wouldn’t know what to do in a situation like this.

At least her Michael wouldn’t have.

She looked at him, really looked.

He wasn’t really her Michael anymore.

Oh that boy who had secretly lapped up all the comfort he could bring himself to admit he needed from her. All the friendship and fellowship from her and her brother. He was still there. But there were signs of new growth.

Maria had left her mark.

Isabel liked what she saw. Not for herself. No for her future sister- in-law.

Isabel was not going to let those two fall apart over this.

The alien abyss had already stolen Alex. Had wrest her heart from her. She would not let it destroy the little good it had brought.

It still might not work out. Their relationship could still fail….

But let it fail from human reasons. Let it fail from their own failures.

Not from hers. Not from the tragic accident that had killed Alex. Not from the senseless divisions that now wracked them all.

“Thanks, Michael. I just, I just really needed a shoulder to cry on.”

“No problem. You’ve been there for me.”

“Michael….”

“What?”

“About Maria…. Don’t make the same mistake I did. Don’t waste the time you have. You might never know when it could run out.”

“She is safer….”

“Really, how?”

“Well if our enemies attack us they might target our loved ones. I mean isn’t that what Liz was claiming had happened to Alex?”

“Michael do you love Maria?”

Michael was silent.

Isabel looked at him. Stupid question.

He did. She knew that. But getting him to admit it…..

Isabel shook her head. “Michael, all they would need to do is ask around school. If our enemies were ruthless enough to target our loved ones, they might just attack those who we might care for.” Isabel had a slight epiphany. “In fact, our being apart from them opens them up to being attacked even more. We can’t defend them if we let them go.”

Worry filled her. For her argument worked just as well with her parents. If their enemies asked anyone they would know that Isabel cared for them.

Running away to San Francisco wouldn’t change that.

Maybe she was being too hasty about going there. Maybe she was acting too fast. Being hasty to escape Roswell and all of the memories of Alex…..

No she would keep working on it. But maybe, just maybe she should think about it a bit more. Weigh her other options…..

She was not, WAS NOT going to spend another year at West Roswell. She was tired, very tired of the high school scene.

Silence filled the small room.

Michael just looked at her, a small glimmer of hope in his eyes.

Anger filled Isabel. “Did Max talk you into this? Did Max tell you that we shouldn’t be with the humans?”

“Well it was right after Liz basically accused us of being complicit in Alex’s murder….”

“What the hell is gotten into him lately! What gives him the right to push us around!”

“He’s the king.”

“Hah!”

“Isabel, you can not deny everything we have learned over the last year…..”

“And what good has it done us? Are we really better off knowing? Sometimes I wish we didn’t know. That Max would just be the same level headed if annoying brother he always had been before he knew he was king. King! Hah!”

Michael shrugged. “Knowing is better. I just wish we knew more.”

“I’m just sick of him playing the king card.”

This is what happened to Rath and Lonnie. Zan must have kept pushing and pushing….. God, I don’t think we could, that we would….

Memories of Whitaker, of all she had said to Isabel flickered in her mind.

No. She was Isabel. Not Vilandra.

Max was her brother.

Not her king.

This was Earth. Not Antar. Maybe he was king there, maybe she was a princess there…..

But here, here she was herself.

And she would not betray her brother. She would never be his subject.

But if he lead, truly lead….

She would follow.

What am I rambling about?

Memories of Alex flowed again into her consciousness and she began to cry again.

When had she become so emotional? When had she let the guard slip?

Michael held her again, providing her a measure of comfort.

Isabel held onto Michael, one hand absently rubbing her belly.

It didn’t stop the tears, but somehow it made her feel more serene.

Her chance to be happy with Alex was done with. And she would mourn.

But Michael still had a chance. There was still hope for him.

She would see he didn’t piss it away.

Not like she had.

One night! She’d only had one night…..

And Isabel cried.

---------
Kal-

Kal stood staring at the cave.

It had taken a lot of work to find it.

Not until he had remembered the cave and its map. Not until he remembered the bond Aric had had with that old Native American shaman.

Funny how things had turned out. Aric had spent years on and off with the humans, had escaped the worst of the ravaging of their captors. And yet it was he who had become so cold and calculating as the years past. So eager to kill.

And himself?

Kal had gone local. Yeah, he’d admit it. He liked his life here.

He liked pretending to be human.

He stared at the sunset, the colors just so subtly different from home. A home he seldom remembered anymore. A home he never thought he would see again.

Just as well.

There were friends and family there. Or there had been.

No. Earth was his home now.

And if his charges were wise they would think so to.

Kal rolled up his sleeves and began the repairs.

By his reckoning they would need the crèche soon.

--------
Tess

Tess half-heartily went to all her classes.

She couldn’t help but hear all the gossip that was floating amongst the students. Isabel and Michael were now an item, apparently.

There had been a time when Tess would have loved to have heard that. Would have loved to know that Isabel and Michael were following their Destiny’s. That they had put away their childish obsession with their human playmates….

She’d had this conceit that the humans weren’t really real. That this was all a dream. That only Antar and her duty were real.

Tess looked over at Kyle, passing notes with Vicky Delany.

Those two had hooked up last year. Kyle had been on the rebound from Liz, and Vicky had been on the rebound from some other kid. Vicky’d broken up with her boyfriend yesterday.

And Kyle was a free agent now.

This should make her happy. Should make her job even easier, as Kyle would be out of her hair.

But not out of her heart. It hurt.

And that surprised her. That it would hurt at all given that she was happy with Max. That she had single-mindedly chased Max down the entire time she’d been in Roswell.

Why should this make her weep for what might have been? For what she might have had?

For Max made her feel safe. And she loved him dearly. She loved how he kissed her. Loved his touch.

But he just wasn’t as much fun as Kyle…..

These feelings, these emotions….. They clouded her sense of duty, her sense of purpose.

But if she had learned one thing after spending much of her time this year with the Valentis. The humans were just as real.

They were not toys.

They were people.

And she had killed one.

Sent another home in despair.

And was doing her best to isolate another.

How do I make it stop? How do I stop hurting them? How can I complete my mission, do my duty, and still stop hurting them?

Because Tess was starting to think that what she was doing was wrong.

Alex had been an accident. She had used him, but she certainly had never expected him to die…. But what she had done to Maria….

There had been a time when she had seen herself as a heroine. As the put upon princess desperate to make her prince realize his true love.

And in so many ways she was succeeding. Max was hers.

Only she wasn’t sure any more. Not sure that she was the heroine of the piece any more.

There had to be a way to make things better. There had to be!

-------
Max

Max was walking the corridors looking for Tess. There was a movie she had mentioned being interested in, and she had been a little depressed lately.

Truth was he could use something to get his mind off of all the drama that was going on in his life.

Like the beautiful brunette who marched up the corridor in his direction. He couldn’t help but watch as she moved with an almost martial stride up to him. If he just avoided looking at Liz’s expression, and just watched her body, he could just for a moment imagine that things were they way they had been last year.

When she had loved him.

He’d been hoping to put this conversation off as long as he could. Not because it did not have to be said, but because it would make her even more angry.

Would make her even farther away from him than she was now.

Max still loved her. He always had.

He always had and he always would. But she had chosen a different route.

They were no longer on the same side. No longer allies. And if she reacted the way he thought she might, reacted to his demands like his sister did….

They might not be friends either.

And that hurt.

Liz’s smile seemed forced as she looked up at him. “Max. Hey. Have you seen Maria? She wasn’t in her fifth hour class.”

“Um, no. Look, Liz we need to talk.”

“Go ahead.”

“Look, I will entertain the thought that Alex’s death might have something to do with us, if you will stop asking around so openly. All you are doing is drawing suspicion.”

“Well, Max, seeing as my best friend was murdered, I think a small amount of suspicion is merited, don’t you.”

“Liz, Alex wasn’t murdered. It was, it was an accident.”

“And here I thought you believed Alex had killed himself. It is nice to see a little sense percolating in your head. Now if only you will go the rest of the way and help me…..”

“Liz. Did you even read the report? It was thorough.”

“And Alex is officially listed as a suicide. So who do you think will be next? Me? Or Kyle. Or, hey maybe my other best friend Maria.”

“You do realize how paranoid you are sounding right now?”

“Max, if it had been Michal or Isabel. Or your precious Tess. Would you just blow it off? Or would you be pushing to find out what actually happened to them?”

“That’s different…”

“How Max? How? Or do we pesky humans not count as much of one of you vaunted hybrids. You know, I think I’m going to track down my other friend. While I still have her.”

Max gripped Liz tightly, “Liz, you have to stop this. All you are doing is endangering us. This isn’t helping.”

Liz’s voice was colder than liquid nitrogen, “Get your hand off of me Max.”

“Liz….”

“You know, I used to love you. But then you stopped being Max. Being the Max I loved. And you became a king. Well I have news for you Max, you may be a king, you are not my king. You can push Isabel around, but not me. Get. Your. Hands. Off. My. Arm.”

Max let her go. “Sometimes I’m not sure I even recognize you anymore Liz.”

Liz turned to go.

Max softly said, “Liz, if you keep this up, I can’t be your friend.”

Liz turned around and looked at him, tears in her eyes. “Well I guess that’s just part of the price I will have to pay. Alex was murdered. And I will find out who was responsible.”

“No matter the cost?”

“No matter the cost.” And Liz stalked off.

Max closed his eyes.

He had hoped to at least to keep her as a friend. To cherish the memories they had shared together.

It was not to be.

Liz didn’t love him anymore.

She hated him.

Max felt as one of the foundations of his world crumbled, as the idea that he might have to not only watch Liz get hurt. But to oppose her.

Michael was distant. Isabel defiant. Liz a possible enemy.

His life had lost its moorings and was now drifting. He needed support.

Tess. He had to find Tess.

She was his last hope.

-------
Michael-

Michael walked up the sidewalk to Maria’s house.

Isabel was beside him, still a little weepy.

Michael knew that Amy was out of town, and this would have been a perfect time for some alone time with Maria…..

But Isabel was just too fragile right now.

Isabel rarely cut class, but today Michael had persuaded her to.

And they had gone to a Denny’s and talked. Talked like they really hadn’t for way too long.

He still thought Isabel was overreacting and shouldn’t be so fast to leave Roswell, if only because of her alien obligations.

But if she left he would support her.

It was her life after all.

And she had persuaded him to not break off from Maria. To apologize. (Like that was going to happen. Alright, so he might need to do a little industrial strength groveling, but he was not going to….)

Michael stopped.

Something was wrong.

Over the last year he had developed a feel for Maria. One that had grown stronger with each flash he had from her.

She was in the house. He could feel her.

Why did it feel so feint?

What if Liz had been right? What if Isabel’s point about abandoning their friends was also correct?

What if Maria was a target?

What if she was dying?

Michael moved. He heard Isabel squawking behind him. It became a voice of outrage as Michael forced the front door open.

Michael didn’t care. He wanted to see his little Pixie. He wanted to make sure she was safe and sound. And if what Michael had done something Maria would yell at him for, so what?

It wasn’t like it would be the first time. Or most likely the last.

Michael paused a moment at the bathroom door.

He could feel Isabel’s glare.

“So what are you going to do now? Just barge right in? God Michael, don’t you ever think?”

Michael knocked.

There was no answer.

His sense of Maria was almost gone. No time.

She’d forgive him someday.

Hopefully.

Michael burst the lock and entered.

The room smelled of sweet incense and metallic smelling blood.

Maria was taking a bath. A bubble bath. But these bubbles were red with her blood.

Maria was dying.

He could hear Isabel calling Max on her cell.

No time. Maria would be long dead by the time Max arrived. And Max couldn’t bring Alex back. He seriously doubted Maria would be any different.

Michael would have to heal her.

Should he wake her?

No. No time.

Besides. That was to form a connection. And Michael already had one with Maria.

Michael ignored Maria’s nakedness and got to work. His mind flowed into her body. And he stopped the bleeding. He stabilized her, but she had lost so much blood.

And Michael wasn’t Max. This wasn’t his talent. He used all he knew all he had…..

She had lost so much blood.

Michael just didn’t know.

He opened his eyes.

Isabel stared back at him worriedly. “Well?”

“I don’t know. Is Max on his way?”

“He’s not answering his cell phone.”

“Maybe he‘s with Tess.”

Isabel shook her head, “I can’t get her either.”

“Great, my girl dies while he tries to get laid.”

Isabel flinched. She mastered her emotions, “So what do we do?”

“I just wish I could do more. How about you, do you think you could….”

Isabel shook her head, “No, your better. Much better at this now. Where did you learn…..”

“Max taught me a bit. After Christmas.”

“Oh.” Isabel looked down at her. “We should get her out of there. Get her dressed.” She reached over and grabbed a jagged piece of glass from the water. Glass covered in Maria’s blood. “Why did she do it.”

Michael looked at Maria, “She saw us having sex in the Eraser Room this afternoon.”

“Michael, what are you talking about?”

“Liz was right. We are under attack. This is what must have happened to Alex.”

“Oh, God, Michael. What are we going to do? What if they attack my parents next. Or any of our friends….”

Michael lifted Maria out of the water, her body still somewhat chill from the blood loss and the cooling water.

He’d really hoped to be holding a naked Maria under much different circumstances. But Isabel was right. They should get her dressed. In her state she’d be in danger from shock.

“Michael. Wait.”

“What.”

“Put her back into the water.”

“Why.”

“Just do it.”

Michael paused a moment. And then set Maria back into the water.

Isabel placed a hand in the tepid water and it began to swirl around Maria.

“Isabel, I doubt Maria cares that you are turning her bath into a Jacuzzi at the moment….”

“Shut up and let me concentrate.” Her voice was tight with focus. “There.”

The water was separated. The bubbles were gone. And there were distinct pools of liquids, no longer mixed.

“Maria is suffering from blood loss. I take it you can’t replace the blood from her wound?”

“Yeah. How Max does it, I don’t know.”

“Well it is all right here. Maria’s blood. Maybe a little worse for wear, but…..”

Michael looked at Isabel like she had gone insane…. And then kissed on the cheek.

This just might work. First he focused on all of the blood. Making as much of it live again as he could. Making sure it was pure.

And it was. Isabel might not be the best healer amongst them, but she was way ahead in other sorts of molecular manipulation.

He used his powers to make a couple of small incisions that would allow him to slowly add the blood back into her body.

Bleeding in reverse.

And with Isabel’s help he healed Maria.

-------
Maria-

Maria felt so very weak. So very tired.

So heard a voice and opened her eyes.

Only to see Alex in her bathroom pleading with her to stay with him.

Pleading with her not to die.

Maria moved as much of her body under the bubbles as she could.

Sure, Alex was her friend. But he was still a guy.

And Isabel would kill her. That much she knew.

Maria looked at Alex, “Wait a minute. I thought you were dead?”

“Well yes. And you nearly joined me. When I sent you that vision, I didn’t mean it so literally.”

“Vision? What are you talking about?” Maria gestured violently, almost sitting up, until she remembered her perilous position.

Alex had his usually dopey smile, his eyes glazing over her. “They saved you… I thought they could. But I wasn’t sure.”

“Alex, do you mind turning away? And let me get a robe or something.”

“Sure thing, Maria.”

Maria looked at her robe. “No peeking.”

“Or what, you’ll kill me?” But Alex averted his gaze.

Maria put on the robe quickly. And then stopped and looked at Alex and began to cry. “That’s, that’s not funny. “

Alex held her. “Trust me Maria, I did not want to go. Any more than you do. Why did you do it?”

“Do what?”

“Try to commit suicide?”

“Alex what are you talking about! I would never do that! Never not in a million years.”

“And yet you did. What do you remember? What is your last clear memory?”

“I, I don’t know. I, I sang at your funeral. I, I remember there was a big fight at your wake. And, and Michael left me again. I haven’t talked to him, in a… I, uh, don’t recall.”

“You don’t remember anything else?”

There was a memory, a sharp jagged memory that just skittered out of her reach.

She couldn’t quite understand her thought processes. They felt… strange. Not her.

“Look Maria, we don’t have a lot of time. You obviously aren’t going to wake up soon. What ever they did to save you must have really done a number on your system.”

“I’m dreaming? You really are dead.”

“Sorry, Maria. But yeah, I am.”

Maria held onto him.

“Once they realize that you are dreaming, she’ll be here.” There was a dreamy adoring quality to the pronoun.

Isabel. Isabel could dream walk.

“Okay. So if you are dead, and you are saying that I am not….”

Alex nodded.

“So why are you haunting my dreams?’

“I need you to do something for me.”

“Anything. You should know that.”

Alex nodded and looked at her somberly. “I can’t stay. I have to avoid Isabel at the moment. If I don’t she’ll use me as a crutch and never start to heal. But I still can’t entirely avoid her. And, and she doesn’t realize what’s happened to her. What she has done.”

“Could you talk a little less cryptic? I mean, sheesh, you’re a ghost, I get it. But do you all always have to be so confusing?”

“Isabel is pregnant. It will not be a normal pregnancy. I need you to help her. To help my babies.”

“Babies? As in plural?”

Alex nodded.

“You are kidding right? I mean, she can’t be pregnant. Sure she said you both slept together, but she said she….”

“Maria, our friends are essentially human. They have a few… adjustments to provide with them with an edge. They can control their chances of reproduction. It is not foolproof. Isabel believes she was safe. That it is not possible. I won’t go into the details. But she is pregnant. And she will need your help. I’ve tried to reach the others, but only you listened to my call.”

“I’ll do what I can…..”

“She is coming. I have to go. Don’t tell her yet.”

“I, ah, will I see you again.”

“Yes. Be well and stay safe. Say hi to Michael for me.”

“I will.”

Alex faded from view.

Isabel, wearing the clothes she’d been wearing at school rushed in threw the door and hugged her.

Why did Maria begin to feel like her life was about to make even less sense than it already was?