When He Returns (CC, M/L, Mature) Complete 11/28

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

Daydreamer23
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Daydreamer23 »

Hey guys, I'm back. Thank you so much for all your wonderful feedback. I haven't had a lot of time to write, but your encouragement really pushes me to keep going when I can. You are all fantastic!

begonia9508
cassie
Emz80m
Flamehair
chanks_girl
Luna_Seer
nibbles2
behralicious87
Timelord31
aussietrueblue
IheartMax
And of course any lurkers

Chapter 19

“Liz, it’s nearly 11:00. Maybe we should get up?”

Max had actually been awake for hours, but he had been more than content holding Liz in his arms, pulling her closer to him when she began to whimper, kissing the top of her head when she smiled serenely in her sleep. Unconsciously he pulled her closer to him; the feel of her body against his was heaven. He loved the way she draped her leg over his, how she snuggled into his chest, how her hand moved to the crook of his neck while she slept.

But he reminded himself that he couldn’t forget the reason they had come to California: Liz needed to develop her powers, to learn how to protect herself when the attack finally came. And he needed to figure out a plan, some sort of strategy to fight Kivar. The trouble was that he didn’t even know where to start. And to make things even more difficult, he couldn’t keep his mind off Liz. If he wasn’t agonizing over the idea of Kivar trying to hurt her, he was worrying about how her new powers would affect her…or thinking about how gorgeous she looked first thing in the morning. He knew that it was wrong, that he shouldn’t be thinking about those kinds of things with all of their lives in danger, but everything about Liz was so intoxicating. She filled all his senses, making him forget about everything else.

“Can’t we just stay like this a little longer?” she pleaded, nuzzling in closer to him.

It was times like this, when they were alone and wrapped up in each other’s arms, that everything bad that had ever come between them seemed to have vanished completely as though it had never existed. There was no Tess, no destiny, and no galaxies to separate them. The moment reminded Liz of their night out in the desert, waking up beside Max, looking into his loving eyes and feeling like the world couldn’t be more perfect. She wasn’t ready to give it up just yet, and she resented the world for asking her to do so.

Max turned her face to look at his, the fingers running sensually through her hair contradicting his words. “I really want to get up and practice your powers.”

He pulled a way from her then, picking his shirt off the floor and slipping it over his head. But having his shirt over his face made Max vulnerable to attack, and noticing this Liz took advantage of the situation. She pulled him back to the bed, throwing him off-balance so that he landed on his back. Throwing a leg across his abdomen, she positioned herself over him and pinned his hands above his head.

“I can think of better things to do…”

With the husky tone of Liz’s voice, her toned form shifting on top of his, it only took seconds for Max’s body to react. He watched her lips turn up in a seductive smile as she felt his desire for her. But before she knew what was happening, Max had flipped her underneath him and he was standing again.

“Liz, this is important. If anything ever happened to you…I don’t know how I’d go on.”

The tenderness and sincerity in his voice broke Liz’s resistance. She knew he felt responsible for what was happening to her. It didn’t seem to matter to him that she would have been dead long ago if he hadn’t intervened. So if it would do something to assuage his aching conscious, she would give in and allow her training to begin. But, a small voice insisted, you’ll just have to make sure he makes it up to you later.

“What are you reading?”

Maria fell unceremoniously into an armchair next to Michael, laying her legs across his lap.

His eyes remained on the pages in front of him as he answered. “It’s just something Serena translated for me. Kind of a history book about home.”

As much as she hated to admit it, Maria felt a sting of jealousy that Michael referred to Antar as ‘home.’ Jealous of a planet? How pathetic is that?! It’s just a huge lump of rock. Nothing whatsoever to be jealous of. But before she could stop it, the word tumbled out of her mouth, her contempt completely transparent.

“Home?”

Michael shrugged his shoulders, dismissing the question. “You know what I mean.”

“No, Michael. I don’t,” she snapped. “I thought your home was here. With me.”

Michael threw the book to the table, not noticing how it caused Maria to flinch. His hands wearily rubbed his eyes, his head pounding. He couldn’t handle a fight at that moment.

“Maria, you know I love you. When it was time to go back to Antar or stay, I chose you. But that doesn’t mean that I’m not curious, that I don’t want to help the planet that gave me life and sent me to you. How many times am I going to have to explain it? I have never regretted my decision to stay.”

A thread of guilt wrapped around Maria’s heart, forcing it to constrict. She was sure that she could feel it tightening with every beat. She nudged Michael’s leg with her foot, drawing his eyes up to her.

“I’m sorry. I know I shouldn’t bother you about this, but it’s like I have no control over myself. I’m out here, away from my home, my mom, my other friends- not that I have many anymore. Max and Liz are back together and in their own little world, Alex and Isabel are always together, and now that Kyle has this obsession with Serena it’s like completely taken him over. So then all I have is you and all you can talk about is ‘home’ and it’s like you don’t even notice how that makes me feel. I feel so completely alone and I can’t handle it.”

The words came out in an emotional rush. Once she started Maria seemed powerless to stop; it was like a dam had broken inside her. She buried her face in her hands, relieved and embarrassed at the same time. She wasn’t surprised when Michael pushed her legs to the floor. She could only imagine how angry he must be with her for her outburst. But suddenly his hands were resting on her knees, his voice softly reassuring her.

“I had no idea that was how you felt. Why didn’t you say something sooner?”

Maria sniffled. “It’s just…I wanted to be the understanding girlfriend. I know how important it is to you to find out about where you came from. It’s a completely natural thing. And it was totally bitchy of me to give you shit about it.”

“Yeah, you were kind of being a bitch.”

Maria gasped, ready to sock him in the arm. But her anger instantly vanished at his teasing smile. She bit her lip to keep from smiling herself, but her eyes gave her away. Michael pulled her down to meet his lips, tenderly showing her that she had not been forgotten.

“Okay, focus on building up the energy. Feel it pulsing at the back of your skull.”

Max stood behind Liz, one hand on her waist, the other resting at the base of her neck.

“Now take the energy and force it down, past your shoulders…”

His fingers trailed a path from her neck to her shoulder, emphasizing his words.

“Down through your arm…”

His hand continued to demonstrate, his feather light touch leaving a tingle of excitement everywhere it traveled. Liz nibbled her lower lip, her eyes closed in concentration.

“I think that’s more distracting than helpful,” she murmured.

“Just focus,” he gently commanded, resisting a groan as her lower body grazed his. “Make a clear picture of what you want to happen in your mind. Now take the energy and release it out of your fingers.”

It was a simple exercise, changing the color of a piece of paper. But Liz couldn’t keep her mind on the task. Images of her past with Max kept forcing their way to the front of her mind, demanding her attention. Well if she couldn’t push the images aside, she would just have to utilize them. There she was, standing on her balcony, breathlessly anticipating the moment when Max’s lips would touch hers for the first time. She closed in on the charcoal gray of Max’s t-shirt, allowing it to overwhelm her vision. She felt a jolt of electricity at her finger tips and heard a satisfied chuckle from behind her.

“See, I knew you could do it,” Max’s smooth voice spoke into her ear as his arms wrapped about her.

Liz opened her eyes to find that the paper did indeed match the vision in her mind. She spun around excitedly in Max’s arms, her hands gripping his waist.

“It worked! I actually did it!”

“I never doubted you for a second,” Max said, leaning his forehead against hers.

Just as Max was about to capture Liz’s lips with his, Maria threw open the door.

“Oh God, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to interrupt anything,” Maria hastily apologized.

“No, ‘Ria. It’s alright,” Liz said dejectedly, releasing her hold on Max. “What’s up?”

“I told my mom that I would call her, but my phone’s dead. I would use the hotel phone, but I don’t want to pay for long distance. Can I use yours?”

A look of horror flashed across Liz’s face. “Oh my God. Chris! I told him I’d call him and I just…and now school’s started and I’m not there…oh God, he must be freaking out. He’s probably called my parents, the police…”

Liz continued on unintelligently as she threw the clothes out of her duffel bag. At the bottom she found what she was looking for- her cell phone, which was turned off. She flipped it open and turned it on, waiting for the greeting to end before playing her messages. She deleted them, one after the other from Chris. She knew she’d have to call him, but what the hell was she going to say?

Her hand shook as the phone rang, and she was finding it increasingly difficult to breathe. “Chris? Hi, it’s Liz…Yeah, I’m sure you must have been really worried… No, my phone was just turned off…Well Isabel was worse than we thought…I know I should have called but I just…Uh-huh…”

Liz was pacing around the room, hoping that the movement would calm her nerves. She could tell by their faces that Max and Maria were trying to overhear the conversation while simultaneously trying to look like they weren’t listening.

“Yeah, I know I- I miss you too,” Liz lied, certain that Chris would be able to hear it in her voice.

Apparently he hadn’t, or at least wasn’t willing to push the issue, because his only response was to ask when she was coming back.

“I really don’t know. Isabel is one of my best friends and I just need to be here for her as long as she needs me. You know what, she’s actually calling me right now. Be right there, Is,” Liz called out loudly. “Listen Chris, I really have to go.”

“Okay, but just call me back later. I love you.”

Liz could tell from his voice the response that Chris expected. She had to say something to placate him.

“Yeah, uh…me too.”

Liz turned around and was immediately met with Max’s pain-filled eyes. He must have heard that last little exchange. She shook her head, silently trying to tell him that she hadn’t meant it.

“Good-bye Chris,” she said abruptly and snapped the phone closed.

She immediately rushed to Max, her hands pressed imploringly against his chest.

“Please, Max. I just didn’t know what else to say. I can’t…I can’t tell him over the phone that you and I are back together. I just need to put it off a little longer until I can tell him face to face. Please. I didn’t mean it, I swear. I’ve never loved anyone but you.”

Max cupped her cheek in his hand, stroking her skin with his thumb. “I know. It was just hard to hear, even if it wasn’t true.”

Liz rose onto her tiptoes and gently touched her lips to his. “Why don’t we get back to training? And you can show me again how to move the energy down through my arms…”

Lovely banner by guelbebek

Find all my stories here!
Daydreamer23
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Daydreamer23 »

A/N: I just wanted to let you guys know that on Wednesday I'm leaving for vacation for a week. And then not too long after that school starts, so I'm not sure when the next update is going to be. But I hope you like this next part.

Flamehair: Thanks! Maria and Michael are fun to write. It's kind of a contrast to the Max/Liz relationship.

begonia9508: Max always was Mr. Responsible.

Emz80m: Liz never actually told Chris before that she loved him. And while she wanted to love him, she never really did. Poor Chris. :(

nibbles2: Thanks!

IheartMax: Chris is...around. We'll be hearing more from him soon. And I think your spot on with the Liz/Chris relationship!

Natalie36: Liz really does have to end things with Chris. It's better for both of them.

Thanks to everyone who's reading!

Chapter 20

“Anybody hungry?” Michael asked the small collection of friends scattered about the sitting room. “I could order a pizza.”

A rumbling groan preceded Maria’s quick interjection. ““Please Michael, no more pizza okay? I need a balanced meal. I need protein and fruits and vegetables.”

“So we’ll get a Hawaiian,” he countered.

Maria narrowed her eyes at him. “A Hawaiian?”

“You know. Ham and pineapple.”

Michael counted off on his fingers as he continued, “So you got your carbs, dairy, protein, fruit. Balanced.” He finished with a satisfied smirk as he reached for the phone.

“Chica, please back me up here,” Maria pleaded with Liz, who was sitting cross-legged on the floor, adeptly turning water to ice and back again.

“Sure thing, ’Ria,” she said absently, her eyes never leaving her task.

Maria flung herself against the back of the couch, her arms defensively crossed in front of her chest. “I might as well just be talking to myself.”

“You say something, babe?”

Maria’s eyes rolled to the ceiling as she shook her head in disbelief. Unbelievable. “Nothing, Michael. Absolutely nothing.”

Max slid from his chair onto the floor behind Liz, wrapping his arms around her waist and resting his chin on her shoulder. He couldn’t believe how far she had progressed in only a few weeks. Every small achievement served to boost her confidence and pushed her to work even harder. But the fact that she was advancing daily did little to settle Max’s nerves. Everyday he felt Kivar closing in on them. He couldn’t be sure whether it was some sort of alien sixth sense or just the over-activity of his paranoid mind. Either way it was slowly crushing him, bruising his heart and mind. He knew that there was only one cure for it, only one thing that could keep the demons at bay. And that was Liz.

He placed a tender kiss against her temple and continued down her jaw line. Liz leaned her head to the side, giving him open access to her neck. Her head rolled back against his chest, eyes closed, as she let the sensation of Max’s lips on her skin sweep through her. It had been too long since they had been physically intimate like this. Every day that she didn’t feel Max’s skin against hers was becoming increasingly more frustrating for Liz.

Most of the problem, it seemed to Liz, was Max’s fixation on developing her powers. Liz was beginning to feel less like a girlfriend and more like a soldier in training. In their sessions, which took up practically all their time, he seemed to be separating her from her abilities. And the latter was definitely getting the most attention. She was beginning to worry that he didn’t really see her anymore, didn’t desire her the way he used to. But the way his mouth was adoring her body and the hardness she felt at her backside were certainly convincing her otherwise. She moved her hand to the back of his head, pulling him in closer. A low moan escaped her lips as his hand moved up her side and grazed against her breast.

“You guys do realize that we’re all still sitting here, don’t you?”

Liz’s head snapped up at Kyle’s comment, her cheeks flushed a deep pink. She couldn’t believe that she had allowed things to get so heated with everyone around. That was just so unlike her. The fact that her mind was so clouded was a testament to how badly she needed to be with Max. When she glanced behind her, she could see that he was red up to the tips of his ears. A shiver ran through her at the thought of running her tongue along those ears, watching Max lose control at her touch.

She forced her attention back onto their friends, willing herself not to let her mind wander to Max. Michael had apparently coaxed Maria’s forgiveness with a foot rub. Kyle and Serena were seated at the table playing cards. Kyle had been complaining quiet frequently that she was using her ‘alien voodoo’ to cheat. And then there was Alex and Isabel. Cuddled up together in the armchair. Liz couldn’t quite put her finger on it, but she was certain that they were hiding something. Not a bad something, but those two were definitely sharing a secret that no one else was in on.

A sudden knock on the door drew everyone’s attention.

“Pizza!” Michael shouted, jumping excitedly to his feet.

He opened the door to find the scrawny, red-headed delivery boy holding five boxes of pizza. The poor waif looked like he was just about to topple over. Michael quickly extended his arms to relieve him of his load. After giving the boy the money and telling him to ‘keep the change’, Michael turned back into the room and dropped the boxes on Serena and Kyle’s table.

“Hey! We were in the middle of a game!” Serena cried indignantly.

“Pizza,” Michael responded simply, as if it were the most infallible excuse in the world.

Liz wrinkled up her nose. “You know what, Max? I think Maria was right about the pizza. Do you want to go out and get something else?”

“Yeah, sure.”

“Please. Take me with you,” Maria whimpered.

“Oh come on, Maria,” Michael said around a mouthful of pizza. “It’s not that bad. Besides, I’m sure Max and Liz could use some time without all of us gawking at them.”

Maria slid a slice of pizza onto a plate. “Alright Michael. Whatever you think is best.”

Her voice was gentle and polite, but Michael could hear the venom behind her words. His stomach rolled, anticipating the lashing that would come later. He leaned in close to Max and muttered in his ear.

“You owe me, Maxwell. Go enjoy yourself.” He stole a glance at Maria, “For the both of us.”

Max gave Michael a sympathetic pat on the shoulder, understanding the sacrifice he had just made. Max reached for the keys sitting on the windowsill, but Liz swooped in and grabbed them before he could.

“Mind if I drive?” she asked, spinning the keys around on her finger.

“It’s all yours,” Max answered.

A satisfied smile crossed Liz’s lips as she grabbed Max’s hand and practically dragged him down to the car. Pushing him up against the passenger-side door, she grabbed tightly to his coat and pulled his lips down to hers in a passionate kiss.

“Liz?” Max said breathlessly when she pulled away.

“Just get in the car, Max,” she commanded softly.

They drove in silence along a winding coastal road, rock formations rising and falling along the way. Several minutes later, after recovering from Liz’s searing kiss, Max was ready to ask her exactly where they were going. But before he got the chance to speak, Liz swerved onto a grassy dune overlooking a deserted stretch of beach.

Max furrowed his brow, wondering why Liz had brought him here. “Liz…this isn’t a restaurant.”

Liz turned off the ignition and turned to him, her chocolate eyes shining in the dark. “I know.”

She stepped out of the car and kicked off her shoes, dragging her feet along the cool sand. This was different than the sand in the desert. Desert sand was rough and harsh, going from blistering heat in the day to bitter cold at night. This sand was smooth and gentle against her skin. She beckoned Max over to join her in the sensation. He threw his shoes inside the car and strode over to her, needing to taste her again. He cupped her face in his hands and drew her in for a gentle kiss.

“There’s something I want to show you,” she whispered against his lips.

She held his hand and led him down to the beach until she reached the mouth of a small cave. As she pulled him inside her fingers slipped from his and he could hear her stepping away.

Max’s eyes struggled to see through the darkness. “Liz, what’s going on? What is this?”

Her voice echoed around him. “The other day when Maria and I went out for a drive we came along this place and I thought it would be perfect.”

Max groped along the side of the cave as he moved further inside. “Perfect for what?”

The cavern suddenly lit up as several candles were instantaneously ignited. Carefully laid out in the middle of the cave, surrounded by dozens of white rose petals, was a large blanket. Max’s eyes traveled upward until they fell on Liz. She slowly pulled her arms out of her jacket and let it fall to the ground.

“Perfect for our first night together.” Liz bit her lip unsurely. “Do you like it?”

Max looked around at her and the cave in wonder. She had planned this for them. Because she wanted to be with him. Because she loved him. His heart still skipped a beat every time the thought crossed his mind.

He crossed the distance between them and ran his hand through her hair, mesmerized as it slid through his fingers. “How could I not like it? You’re amazing, you know that?”

Liz nuzzled her nose against his, brushing her lips against his teasingly. “Flattery will get you everywhere with me, Max Evans.”

She held her lips to his but he needed more. His tongue ran along her lips, waiting for her to open up to him. Her lips parted as she released a hungry moan, begging for Max to make her his. She pulled him backwards down to the blanket as her hands roamed up under his shirt. She broke their kiss just long enough to pull the clothing over his head. Her fingers trailed along his sculpted chest and abdomen, needing to feel more of his flesh. But as her hands began working at the belt of his pants Max suddenly stilled her movements.

His worried eyes scanned her face as he raggedly spoke. “Liz, you’re shivering. Are you sure about this? We don’t have to do anything you don’t want to.”

Liz brushed the hair back from his face. “Trust me, Max. It’s a good shiver.”

“I just don’t want you to feel like-”

“I love you Max,” she interrupted. “Do you love me?”

How could she even ask him that? “You know I do. I always have.”

“Then show me.”
Last edited by Daydreamer23 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daydreamer23
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Daydreamer23 »

A/N: It's now 3 in the morning, but I really wanted to get this chapter out. So forgive me if I've messed up anywhere.

Humble thanks to my readers and for the bumps!:

begonia9508
Emz80m
futuremrsmcdreamy
Natalie36
nibbles2
behrluv32
behrlyliz
Addicted2AmberEyes
IheartMax
Timelord31
Flamehair

Chapter 21

His worried eyes scanned her face as he raggedly spoke. “Liz, you’re shivering. Are you sure about this? We don’t have to do anything you don’t want to.”

Liz brushed the hair back from his face. “Trust me, Max. It’s a good shiver.”

“I just don’t want you to feel like-”

“I love you Max,” she interrupted. “Do you love me?”

How could she even ask him that? “You know I do. I always have.”

“Then show me.”

Her words echoed around the cave. A challenge. A plea. Max swallowed down the lump that had risen up in his throat, lowering his lips to hers. His tongue explored the sweet recesses of her mouth, brushing against hers in languid strokes.

He broke away breathlessly as he trailed hot, open-mouthed kisses down her neck to the hollow of her throat. His hands moved to the hem of her shirt, inching it up at a torturously slow pace. Every time his fingers grazed her bare skin, a tiny moan escaped Liz’s lips. Before she knew it, Max’s fingers were at the waistband of her pants, his hands trembling slightly as he lowered the zipper. Unconsciously she lifted her hips and allowed him to slide the material down her legs until it was discarded, leaving Liz in only her matching black lace bra and panties. She fought to suppress the victorious smile trying to plant itself on her face at Max’s slack-jawed expression. It was just the reaction she’d been hoping for when she had picked them out.

“It’s getting a little hot in here, don’t you think?” She questioned suggestively as she toyed with the top button of his shirt.

“Hot. Right.” He replied mechanically, his eyes still trained on her chest.

Liz chewed her lower lip under his intense gaze. After a moment she reached out to cup his face in her hands, placing light kisses up his jaw to his mouth. Her lips still against his, she unbuttoned his shirt and cast it aside. Her hands explored the taut muscles of his back, his strong biceps and chest. Max could only watch on in awe as Liz’s hands worshipped his body. Unable to resist any longer, he claimed her lips with his. His mind was swimming with the taste of her, the feel of her, her scent. All the world was Liz Parker.

Somewhere in the back of his mind, he registered Liz fumbling with his belt. He beamed down at her as he still her movements with his hands.

“Here, let me.”

He opened his belt and tossed his pants and socks off in one swift motion. But when he looked up, Liz was sitting up with her legs pulled to her chest and her head buried in her arms.

What had he done wrong? He thought she had wanted…“Liz?”

“I’m sorry,” was her muffled reply.

Was she crying?

Max wrapped a tentative arm around her shoulder, not wanting to make her any more uncomfortable. “It’s okay, Liz. Come on baby, don’t cry.”

She lifted her head, staring straight up cave ceiling, talking more to herself than to him. “I don’t even know what I was thinking. God, I was such an idiot. I’m not even going to be able to compare to…”

Compare to what? Max found himself growing more and more perplexed.

“Liz what are you talking about?”

With a shaky breath Liz found the courage to meet his eye. “I mean that you and Tess…and I’ve never…”

Liz wiped at her eyes and took another steadying breath. “I’ve never…been…that way with anyone before. I don’t know, it just never felt right. I guess inside I was always waiting for you.”

She smiled wistfully at him, caressing his cheek with the back of her hand. But the smile quickly faded and she pulled back, wrapping her arms around her legs. “But this whole ridiculous plan I had to seduce you…I could never give you what she did.”

“That’s not true, Liz,” Max vehemently denied. “Listen to me: Tess could never compare to you. I love you, with all my heart. Everything you’ve done here is perfect. You’re perfect.”

She shook her head sadly. “Max-”

“No, Liz. I mean it. Making love to you was something I thought I’d only ever dream about. Being here with you means more to me than you could possibly know.”

“Really?” she asked hopefully.

A tender kiss was Max’s simple reply, and Liz found herself quickly reacting. Her arms wrapped around her neck and nipped his lower lip. He deepened the kiss, trying to convey the depth and truth of his feelings for her.

Confusion replaced the love in his eyes when she put her hands to his chest and gently pushed him back. But understanding quickly dawned on him as she reached behind her back and released the clasp of her bra. She removed the material unsurely, her cheeks flushing a deep pink.

“God Liz, you’re so beautiful,” Max murmured as he reached out to cup her with his hand.

She arched into his touch with a sharp intake of breath. She lost all conscious thought as he lowered his head and took her in his mouth. Her hands fell to his boxers and pushed down at them insistently. He removed the obtrusive material and laid himself flat against Liz. Looking down at her flush face, her swollen lips, her mussed hair, and her eyes, shining with love and trust, Max couldn’t help but think that she had never been more beautiful.

Liz took his fingers and hooked them into her panties, urging him to rid them of the last thing that separated them. Max pulled them slowly down her legs, leaving reverent kisses along the way. He had positioned himself between her legs when a sudden thought struck him.

“Liz, what about protection?”

She smiled reassuringly at him, playing with the hair at the back of his neck. “I’ve taken care of it, Max. I’m on the pill.”

A stiff nod of his head preceded his passionate assault of her mouth. Liz thought she might explode from just that kiss. But soon it wasn’t enough. She could feel his arousal pressing against her thigh, brushing against her sensitive core, and she needed to feel him inside her. She pulled away, gasping for breath.

“Max, please,” she begged.

He licked his suddenly dry lips, an almost pained look on his face. “Liz…it’s going to hurt.”

“I know. But only for a little bit. Max, I want to be with you. I want you to have this part of me. I love you,” she reassured him.

He gave her a gentle kiss and softly returned her vow as he slid himself into her. It felt so good to be inside her, he had to fight the urge to rock quickly against her. He rested his forehead against hers and gazed into her eyes as he broke through her virginity. He stilled his movements at her quiet whimper of pain.

“I’m so sorry, baby.”

She swallowed hard, letting herself adjust to the feel of him. “It’s okay. I just…need a second.”

Max placed light kisses across her forehead, over her eyelids, behind her ear, professing his love between each one. After a few moments he felt her hips rise to his, asking him to continue. He began slowly, building a steady rhythm. Needing to taste her again, his mouth sought out her soft breast, gently sucking her aroused nipple.

The feel of Max’s body joined with hers, his hot, wet mouth on her body was pure bliss for Liz. How could she ever have doubted this? She felt so full with him inside her, and while it had been slightly uncomfortable at first, nothing else had ever felt so right to her.

Something close to a growl rumbled at the back of Liz’s throat. “Oh my God, Max.”

“Tell me what you want, Liz,” he breathed in her ear, nuzzling her neck.

After a moment’s hesitation, she responded. “Faster, Max.”

He increased his pace, building friction between them. Her hips eagerly met his and he could feel himself coming closer to the edge. His hands roamed along her body and it felt like heaven every time she moaned his name. Her fingers gripped the back of his head and drew her down to him so that she could take his earlobe into her mouth. She nipped at it before running her tongue along the outer shell, just like in her fantasy. God, she loved his ears. She smiled inwardly when he groaned loudly, pleased that she knew what he liked.

Max felt a tight pull in his groin and knew that he was close, but he forced himself to hold back, wanting to make sure that Liz came to completion.

“God, Max, I’m so close,” she murmured against his shoulder before sinking her teeth in.

His hips moved faster and he laced his fingers with hers. “I know, baby. Me too. Just let go.”

Her head was suddenly thrown back in ecstasy, Max’s name escaping her lips on an emotional cry. Max’s release quickly followed hers and he fell heavily against her. Their ragged breathing kept silence at bay as Max lifted himself up to look at her.

“Are you okay?” he asked, his voice filled with concern.

“Mmhmm,” she sighed contentedly, brushing her fingers through his hair. She silently thanked God for bringing Max back into her life. A life that she knew would have been incomplete without him.

Max rolled to his side, his eyes intent on Liz’s face. “I love you.”

“You keep saying that,” she giggled, tracing the muscles of his abdomen with her hand.

Max trailed his fingers through her damp hair. “Yeah, well get used to hearing it. Because I’m going to tell you every chance I get.”

Liz snuggled into his side, resting her head on his chest as his hands moved slowly up and down her bare back. “I love you, too.”

As her eyelids grew heavy and sleep began to take her, Liz silently wondered if Max had seen what she saw at the height of their passion.

Daydreamer23
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Daydreamer23 »

spacecowboy- Thanks so much!

Natalie36- Sorry, I can't help it!

Emz80m- I guess Liz still has some 'Tess' issues. Good thing Max can help her get through it. And like Liz said, she was waiting until it felt right.

begonia9508- Thank you! I was a little nervous about that part, so I'm glad you liked it.

IheartMax- You know what they say, 'always leave 'em wanting more'. And I always thought that Liz was one lucky girl!

futuremrsmcdreamy- Is this soon enough? :D

katydid- Lol, I'm glad you liked it!

Flamehair- I guess that's the million dollar question.

Michelle in Yonkers- Wow! I'm so flattered! Thanks for all your comments. Another person who doesn't like Chris. I really made you guys despise him, didn't I? :wink:
Much more like! I knew it wouldn't be SpOT. What happened to SpOT, anyway?

SpOT? Could that be 'spawn of Tess?' :lol: We'll find out more about that later.

Chapter 22

For a brief moment as he stirred from sleep, Max was certain that he was still in his cell on Antar and that the previous night had simply been another dream. Just like all the others. Just an illusion he had conjured up to protect his mind from his tortured existence. Tears formed behind the eyelids that he refused to open, not wanting to let cold reality invade his memory. Instinctively he moved to wrap his arms around himself, but the soft body beside him wouldn’t allow for that.

Like the breaking of a dam, the truth of what happened between he and Liz the night before flooded his mind, soothing the growing ache in his stomach. The smooth stone walls of his cell melted away and he was wrapped up in the warmth of her love. He let out a sigh, relief mingled with contentment, as he pulled her closer and buried his face in the crook of her neck. He could smell himself on her skin, on the tender flesh that he had marked when they made love. He smiled against her shoulder as the image fluttered into his mind.

Liz’s body shifted beside his as she too began to wake up. She turned herself flush against him, her arms stretching lazily above her head before coming to rest around his neck. With seemingly great effort she opened her eyes and gazed up at him from under her lashes.

“Good morning,” she breathed, her voice just above a whisper.

“Morning,” he returned. “How do you feel?”

She pondered his question for a long moment. How was she supposed to answer that? Physically…physically she felt sore. But at the same time her whole body was buzzing from the feeling of Max’s skin against hers. Emotionally…she was feeling so many things that she didn’t even know how to put into words.

“I feel…” she paused, brushing her lips against his. “I feel like I’m finally alive again. I feel complete. I feel like my life has finally found purpose.”

“And that purpose would be…” Max prompted.

“To be naked with you as much as possible,” Liz answered with a giggle.

That must have been the response he was looking for, because Max promptly pulled her in for a passionate kiss. He was careful not to be too rough with her, knowing that their lovemaking would leave some lingering pain for her. Well, not just for her. The muscles of his legs and back felt thoroughly worked out as well. It was the best feeling in the world.

Her hands moved down the broad expanse of his shoulders and back up his neck. With a soft moan she pulled away from him, a questioning look in her eyes.

“Liz, what is it? Are you ok?”

“I’m fine, Max. It’s just…when you…I mean when we…and then…”

She was obviously flustered, and a smile tugged at his mouth as he mused on what could be causing it.

“What is so funny?” she asked, exasperation and slight amusement lacing her voice.

Unable to hold back any longer, Max let out a loud chuckle. “Liz, we’ve seen each other naked. We’ve made love.” He rested his forehead against hers. “Come on, we’ve seen into each other’s souls! I think we’re past the point of modesty.”

“Fine. When you had an…orgasm,” She smiled shyly and rolled her eyes at the amusement on his face. “Did you see anything?”

“Like what?”

“I don’t know…like us.” She tried to sound nonchalant as she watched her fingers trace imaginary patterns across his stomach.

Max dipped his head, forcing her to meet his eye. “Liz, did you see something?”

Her fingers suddenly stilled and she looked at him seriously.

“You know what, I bet it was nothing. Forget I said anything,” she said dismissively.

He sat in an upright position, pulling her with him. “When has it ever been ‘nothing’ with us? What did you see, Liz?”

“I don’t know, just…our life. You know, us graduating, getting married, finding our own place. Things that have never happened, but as I saw them it was like…it was like I was remembering them. Like they were real.”

Max looked at her intently as he considered what she said. He wasn’t sure exactly what to think of it. Was this some side effect of her new powers? Was this something he had done to her?

Liz fidgeted under his gaze. “I’m being stupid. You know it’s probably just my imagination. Just things that…that I’m hoping for in the future. Really, just forget it.”

Max shook his head, knowing that he wouldn’t be able to just forget it. “Maybe we should ask Serena about it.”

“How could you have lost them?!”

“I don’t know, sir. We were driving along this road and I was keeping my distance so they wouldn’t notice me. I came around a curve and they were just gone.”

The booming voice quickly became chillingly calm. “If he has touched her…”

The rest of the threat was unnecessary. The man in the old Chevy knew very well the horrific fate that awaited him if he allowed anything to happen between his two targets.

“I’ll find them, sir. You have my word.”

“See that you do.”

The dial tone beeped ominously in his ear, like the sound of a ticking time bomb. Closing the phone, he briefly considered abandoning his task and running to the most remote location he could find. But the thought was quickly tossed aside. There was no location isolated enough to protect him if he allowed himself to fail. Death itself would be preferable.

Like an answer to his prayers, the jet blue car he had been tailing appeared in the distance. He pulled a map out of the glove compartment, shielding his face behind it. He watched discreetly as the car passed, knowing from experience when it would be safe to start following again. He was the perfect predator, stalking his prey and pouncing at the absolute exact moment. It was exceedingly frustrating to know that his talents weren’t being fully utilized; it had been made perfectly clear to him that his mission was strictly to observe the targets and report back on what they were doing. But to be trusted with such an important task…well, as bad as things would be should he fail, the rewards would be equally abundant if he succeeded. And he had no choice but to succeed.

“Are you trying to get us killed?” Max asked, trying painfully to keep his hands on the steering wheel.

“I haven’t the slightest idea what you’re talking about,” Liz responded innocently, even as her tongue ran up his ear and her hand brazenly cupped the erection straining in his pants.

Liz smiled at her own boldness. A few months ago she would be blushing at even the thought of doing something like this. Her modesty had forced Chris to be the one to make all the moves. But now…now Max Evans had taken her virginity and with it the shy little Miss Parker.

Without conscious thought Max lifted his hips into her touch, breathing raggedly as her fingers stroked his length. He was on the verge of pulling the car over when Liz’s phone began to ring from the backseat. Disappointment washed over him as she fell away with a huff. Grabbing the phone and flipping it open, Liz turned herself in her seat so that she could face him. She winked at him lasciviously and settled her feet on his thigh.

“This better be important, Maria. I said to call only if it was an emergency.”

“You’re damn right this is important, Lizzie!”

“Dad!”

She jumped with a start, her feet connecting with Max’s groin. She winced apologetically as he bit back a low curse.

“What’s going on Liz? I got a call the other day from the Dean of student’s office. They said that classes started three weeks ago and that you never checked back in. Where the hell are you?”

“Dad, please just calm down, okay?” Liz pleaded.

“No, Liz. I’m not calming down until you explain yourself.”

“I just…” she looked to Max for assistance, but he shrugged his shoulders helplessly. “I just…needed a break.”

“A break?”

“Yeah. I’ve been feeling really overwhelmed lately and so has Serena and we just thought-”

“You just thought you’d blow off school and not tell anyone where you were going. I’m really disappointed in you right now, Liz. Your mother has been worried sick.”

“I’m really sorry, Dad. Please tell mom that I’m sorry.”

“So where exactly are you?”

“…California,” she answered pathetically. “L.A.”

“I see. And when do you plan on coming back?”

“I…I don’t really know.”

“Mm-hmm.”

“Dad, please just trust that I know what I’m doing. I promise that I’m being careful and when I’m ready to go back to school, I’ll work just as hard as I always have.”

“I’m not going to be able to talk you out of this, am I?”

“No.”

A resigned sigh and then, “I love you, Liz.”

“I love you too, Dad.”

By the time Liz hung up the phone they were already back at the hotel. Max turned off the engine but made no effort to move, just sat staring at the steering wheel.

“You okay?”

Max offered her a weak smile. “Yeah. It’s just listening to you talk to your dad…I haven’t thought about my parents in a while and…I miss them.”

Liz took his hand in between hers and placed a lingering kiss against his knuckles. “Do you want to call them?”

He shook his head as he regarded their entwined hands. “I don’t think so. Just calling them on the phone, it wouldn’t be right after all this time.”

“I’m sure they’d be glad to hear from you.”

“I’m not,” he responded with a self-deprecating laugh.

She held his chin and forced him to look at her. “Max, they’re your parents. They love you.”

He smiled and nodded, but Liz could tell that it was only for her benefit. The seeds of doubt were already planted and it would take more than some reassuring words from her to convince him. She knew that was something Max had always been afraid, even as a child. That if his parents ever found out what he was that they wouldn’t love him anymore. It was crazy and she knew it, knew how impossible it was not to love him. But Max just couldn’t see it himself.

He squeezed her hand before opening the door and stepping out of the car. He walked purposefully, his eyes trained on Liz as they met in front of the car. His arm wrapped around her waist and she fit perfectly against his side. Moments later he was standing behind her as she attempted to open the door, his hands teasingly rubbing the bare skin of her hips. She repeatedly dropped the key card into the slot and pulled it out, but the door remained stubbornly locked.

“I think you’re going too fast. Maybe you just need to do it slower,” he whispered huskily into her ear, grinding his hips into her backside.

She muttered something incoherent as she gave a final attempt at the door. If it didn’t open this time, she was going to turn around and give herself to him right there, prying eyes be damned. A satisfied moan rumbled in her throat as she threw the door open. She wasn’t more than two steps in when she flung herself into Max’s arms, hungrily devouring his kiss. But the sudden cat call from the couch was a definite mood killer.

“And where have you two been all night?” Kyle asked, the tone of his voice betraying his innocent face.

“Kyle, it’s not nice to tease. Besides, if you pick on her about it, I won’t get any of the details,” Serena scolded as she entered the room, carrying two cups of steaming coffee.

She curled her legs under her as she sat next to Kyle, passing him one of the cups.

Max and Liz shared a long, silent look, trying to decide whether now was the right time to tell her. Serena glanced over at Kyle, wordlessly asking if he understood what was going on. A careless shrug told her that he didn’t.

“Actually, Serena, there was something we needed to talk to you about,” Max said unsurely.

He inclined his head toward his room where they could talk in private. Serena handed her cup to Kyle as she followed them, closing the door behind her.

“This sounds serious, guys. What’s up?”

Max and Liz sat together on the bed, their hands still locked together. Strength and love flowed from one to the other, giving them courage.

“When Max and I were…together last night, I saw things.”

Serena eyed them both. “What kinds of things?”

As Liz explained what happened, the frown on Serena’s face slipped into a smile which continued to grow.

“Is this…a good thing?” Max asked.

“It is for us,” Serena answered excitedly. “If I’m right, it means that Liz is seeing things from the other timeline. And if she is, then…then I think I know how to find out what went wrong last time.”

Daydreamer23
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Daydreamer23 »

Whoa! I come back and the story is pruned. Thanks for all the comments and bumps, guys!

Chapter 23

Alex released the chair, the last item of furniture from the living room, and it hit the floor with a thud. Serena had been so caught up in her own excitement that she hadn’t even explained to them why they were clearing the room. He stretched his long arms up over his head, and from behind him he felt a set of fingers tickling his ribs.

Over his shoulder he could see Isabel beaming proudly. “Now that’s my big, strong man.”

“Uh, who me?” he tossed back playfully, glancing around the room as though expecting to find someone else.

Isabel dropped her hands to his hips and spun him around so that she could snuggle against him, her head resting lightly on his shoulder. A soft smile on his face, Alex toyed with the chain hanging down her back, the chain that he knew held the engagement ring he had given her.

“So, if I ask you to marry me am I going to get shot down again? Because I really like to avoid that kind of embarrassment wherever possible.”

Unshed tears shone in her eyes, contrasting the amused smile on her face. “How often do you ask girls to marry you, Alex?”

“Isabel…”

“Yes.”

His face fell. “Yes,” he repeated numbly.

She reached out for his hand, the tears falling freely now. “No. I mean ‘yes’, I’ll marry you. I’d love to.”

After a long talk, they had finally decided to wait to let everyone in on their engagement until the time was right. Whatever that might be, they weren’t quite sure. But for the time being, it was kind of fun to have this secret to themselves. Everything was always group business, always discussed with everyone, but this…this was just theirs.

“So do you have any idea why we’re doing all this?”

Isabel shrugged her shoulders, not entirely interested in why Serena wanted to empty out the living room. At the moment she was more caught up in Alex’s scent than anything else. She moved her fingers up his spine to the back of his head, drawing him in for a kiss. A shiver of enjoyment ran through at his sharp intake of breath, just before their lips met.

“Guys, we need you in the living room. Now.” Serena’s commanding voice filled the whole room.

Buzz kill.

Max and Liz were already inside when the others began to enter, hands entwined as they leaned against the wall. An irrepressible smile remained on their faces, born of a shared secret and ignited by longing glances.

The living room looked strange, almost eerie, stripped of all furniture and bathed only in candlelight. Serena had used her powers to paint strange symbols on the walls which seemed to be glowing dimly with an unnatural light. A small circle had been drawn in the middle of the floor, surrounded by more foreign symbols.

Surveying the room, Kyle leaned in towards Isabel. “Should I go grab my Ouija board? Or do you think Madame Serena has the whole talking to dead people thing under control…”

He immediately straightened and put on his most innocent face when he caught sight of Serena’s glare boring right into him. She stood in the middle of the circle, addressing everyone but looking mainly at Max and Liz.

“I’m going to see if I can tap into Liz’s mind and release her memories of the other timeline. Hopefully it will give us a little insight into what we need to do to protect ourselves. The symbols on the walls and the floor will help amplify my powers.”

Her eyes were soft and sympathetic as she continued. “It’s going to be difficult, and possibly even painful for both of us, but it’s imperative that you all stand back and let us do what needs to be done.”

Max took one look at Liz and shook his head decisively. “No. No way. You can’t ask me to just do nothing while Liz is in pain.”

He gripped Liz’s hand tighter, adding this moment to the list of suffering she had already endured because of him. “Can’t you get the memories from me instead?”

Serena met his pleading eyes and wished she was able to grant his request. She offered him a small shake of her head, the only thing she could think to do.

“Sorry, Max. Liz seems to be developing gifts similar to mine. She’s the one who had the visions. I don’t see any other way.”

Liz pulled him into her arms, whispering reassuringly as her hands roamed his back. “It’s okay, Max. I can handle this.”

She followed Serena’s directive and took a seat across from her inside the circle.

“Liz and I are the only ones who can enter the circle while we’re doing this. I should be able to project the images that I encounter so that the rest of you can see. We need total concentration so I need all of you,” she threw a meaningful look directly at Kyle, “to remain as quiet as possible.”

Silent nods signaled their acceptance of the terms, though Max still looked uncertain.

Serena held her palms out in front of her. “Are you ready, Liz?”

With a weak nod, Liz placed her own palms against Serena’s. As she did so, a beam of light emitted from the floor, encircling the two of them. A surge of apprehension rushed through Liz, but Serena’s reassuring smile helped settle her nerves.

“W-what do I do?”

“Just open up your mind and let me in. Don’t worry, I’ll know what to do.”

Liz did as she was told, trying to blank her mind out like Max had instructed her the first time he opened his soul up to her. It seemed like a lifetime ago, when little Liz Parker believed nothing of aliens or soul mates or true love. Oh how wrong she had been, she reflected wistfully.

The memory retrieval was easy at first, as Serena sifted through the events of the past few weeks. Images of her and Max walking to the cave, the activities that followed gratefully absent, Liz healing Max in their hotel room, her first kiss with Max after years of separation, seeing Max under the lamplight at Northwestern. Then time seemed to pick up speed, months and years flying past, her whole life on display for everyone.

“Okay, Liz. Now comes the hard part,” Serena whispered.

Max shifted uneasily, his eyes intent on Liz, watching for any sign of distress. He took a few cautious steps closer to the circle, unsure if he would be able to keep his promise if he thought something was wrong.

Michael stood behind Maria, her hands resting on his atop her shoulders. She leaned against him, allowing him to hold her up as her best friend offered up her life for them. Across the room Isabel and Alex stood in a similar position. Kyle had fallen into a corner, not comfortable with the idea of invading Liz’s privacy this way.

Liz closed her eyes tighter as she felt Serena dig deeper into her mind. It wasn’t terribly painful, and for a moment she thought that Serena had been exaggerating. But as soon as the thought crossed her mind a searing bolt of pain shot through her head. Her first instinct was to pull away from Serena, but her brain overruled her impulse and she forced herself not to move. She almost cried out at the intensity of the pain, but bit her lip to hold it back. The gesture didn’t go unnoticed by Max, who stepped even closer to the circle.

The symbols on the wall glowed brighter as Serena pushed her powers to their limit. Tapping into Liz’s buried memories was proving more difficult than she anticipated it to be. Her breathing grew increasingly labored and sweat beaded up on her forehead. Serena pushed harder, and it was more than Liz could bear. It felt like a thousand knives driving deeper and deeper into her brain. Her memories were being lost into the air, and she felt certain that soon there would be nothing left of her. Unable to hold back any longer, Liz threw her head back in a tortured motion and screamed out in pain.

The primal sound of agony coming from the woman he loved pushed Max beyond his bounds of self-control. His hands reached for Liz, determined to pull her out of the circle and tell Serena that she needed to find another way. Kyle could see what Max was planning and was behind him in an instant, grabbing hold of his arms and pulling him back. Max struggled hard against the restraint, but Kyle’s years of wrestling gave him the upper hand.

“Come on, Max. Remember what Serena said, we can’t go in the circle. Liz is tough, you know that. She can do this.”

Max looked on in dismay as the pain remained etched on Liz’s face, her body on the verge of convulsions. Serena was struggling too, and everyone began to seriously doubt if the retrieval would work. Maria silently prayed that vision or not, it would be over soon. She received her response as both Serena and Liz’s expressions gradually returned to normal and their breathing slowed back down. A swirl of iridescent mist rose up between them, slowly taking form.

Max and Liz stood beside each other in front of…Elvis? Max in a tux, Liz in a flowing white gown, they made the perfect cake-topper wedding couple.

Kyle’s grip on Max’s arms slackened and Max sunk to the floor. He choked back a sob as he recognized his vision from Las Vegas. It struck him then just how much he had lost out on. He had always known, in abstract, what he had given up when he chose to be with Tess, to return to Antar with her. But seeing it occur in front of him, as realistic as if it were really happening, cut him to the core.

The scene shifted to a seedy bar, empty save for the small group of friends collected there. They were scattered around the room, slumped exhaustedly in chairs, all except for Max and Liz. They alone were dancing, holding tight to each other and seeing the whole world in the other’s eyes. The images continued to move swiftly, flowing over and past each other like liquid.

But something about one of the memories struck Serena, and she tried to hone in on it. But this one proved more difficult than any of the others had been.

“I think…I think this one has been suppressed, or…or altered. Liz, I need you to help me. Try to focus on it.”

Liz and Serena forced all their energy into bringing that one memory to the surface. It flickered into existence for a brief moment, but both women were feeling the strain of their efforts. Somehow they could sense how important this one was, and they pushed harder. It took everything in them, and with a final burst the image came to life.

Max stood in front of a mirror, tightening a tie that perfectly complemented his dark blue suit. Liz approached him from behind, her eyes holding his in the reflection. Her hair was piled elegantly on her head, a deep red dress with a plunging neckline hugging to her curves. Her hands traveled up his back and came to rest on his shoulders.

“Happy anniversary,” she whispered huskily into his ear. “What do you say we skip this party?”

He turned and pulled her against him, the hunger in her dark eyes matched in his own. “And just what did you have in mind?”

“Well,” she began, slowly loosening the tie he had just finished with. “I was thinking we could lock the doors, turn off our phones…”

She placed her lips to his neck, hungrily sucking at his racing pulse, “And you could have your way with me all night. I promise to make it worth your while…”

“This is what’s going to save us? Watching Max and Liz do the nasty?” Maria asked doubtingly, a hand in front of her face to shield her view.

“I so don’t need to see this,” Isabel concurred softly.

Max was grateful that in the darkness no one could see how his face was flushing. He had to agree, though that he couldn’t see the relevance of this particular scene to their current situation.

A deep groan rumbled in Max’s throat as Liz pushed her body wantonly against his. They moved as one toward the bed, hands roaming greedily over exposed skin.

The image suddenly froze, Max and Liz suspended in a seemingly impossible position.

“What’s going on? Are you okay?” Max asked, frantically looking from the stationary memory to the two women in the circle.

An outstretched hand made its way into view, followed by a mess of blonde curls.

Tess.

She made her way over to the entwined couple, her eyes roving with curiosity, jealousy, and even, it seemed, regret.

With a flick of her wrist she separated the lovers, tossing Max to the bed and leaving Liz standing stiffly in front of her.

Her voice was uncharacteristically soft, and laced with sadness. “I know you won’t believe this, hell you won’t even remember this. But I’m sorry. I really am.”

She pressed her hand against Liz’s abdomen and a faint light emanated from the contact point. The light grew brighter for a few seconds and then quickly extinguished. Another motion and Max and Liz were returned to the way they were, and Tess was gone.

The circle surrounding Liz and Serena vanished, and Liz fell back into Max’s waiting embrace. Tears fell heavily from her eyes and she clung tightly to Max’s arms.

“It was Tess! Tess did something to me. She…” Liz shook her head disbelievingly, her voice hoarse as her hands fell to her stomach. “She stole my eggs. She’s the reason Max and I never had children. She’s the reason we all ended up dead.”

Liz vaguely felt Max’s hands running through her hair and his lips murmuring against her temple as her exhausted system shut down and she fell into darkness.
Last edited by Daydreamer23 on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Daydreamer23
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Daydreamer23 »

Have I mentioned how much I love your feedback? You guys are awesome.

begonia9508- Tess is just causing them all kinds of trouble, isn't she? Try to remember that she didn't exactly thrilled to do it (not excusing what she did, just putting it into context).

Natalie36- I take it that last bit surprised you? :wink:

Emz80m- Thanks! It's definitely going to be hard on Liz.

IheartMax- Thank you so much! That totally brightened my day.

Timelord31- Thanks for the fb. Don't forget that Max and Liz's child will have the power to take Kivar out.

futuremrsmcdreamy- Thanks for reading!

aussietrueblue- Lol, I'm glad I was able to suprise you!

katydid- Thank you! I'm kind of amazed I left you stunned.

Addicted2AmberEyes- Glad you liked it!

hazz- Looks like just about everybody was surprised! :D

paper- Thanks! We'll find out more about Tess later.

cassie- Thank you!

Thanks for the bumps guys! Things are a little bit settled in this part, but you know what they say about the calm before the storm...

Chapter 24

Kyle couldn’t believe how quiet the hotel suite had become. The stark silence was almost eerie, when barely an hour ago the roar of several competing voices had completely filled the space. Max, still on the floor cradling Liz’s unconscious form in his arms, had uncharacteristically barked for silence. Everyone immediately complied, except for Maria who was practically in hysterics. Alex finally pulled her aside and was able to calm her down, if only for a few minutes. Max told everyone to go to bed, assuring them that everything would be discussed in the morning. The tone of authority in his voice when he spoke…no one questioned his command.

With seemingly no effort, Max carefully lifted Liz up and carried her out of the room. The other two couples quickly followed behind him, leaving only Kyle and Serena. She sat hunched over on the floor, drawing in deep breaths, still trying to renew her strength. Kyle moved to kneel behind her, running his hand supportively up and down her back, unsure of what else to do. Hesitantly he drew her into his arms and attempted to pick her up, only to be told that she could walk just fine, thank you very much.

Yet despite her protests, Serena had allowed Kyle to support her as she walked to her room. And then, much to Kyle’s surprise, she pulled him down with her as she fell onto the bed. He lay full against her, noticing for the first time that her crystal blue eyes were tinged with purple. She traced the outline of his jaw, inclining her head so that their lips met in a brief kiss.

His eyes searched hers for something that he wasn’t sure he could name. “What are we doing?”

“Come on, Kyle,” Serena said with a sideways smile. “I’ve been flirting with you like crazy for weeks. And it became pretty obvious that you were never gonna make a move, so…”

Kyle drew in a deep breath. God, when did he become such a pussy? Kyle Valenti knows how to make the first move. He invented the first move!

Slipping a hand down Serena’s side, he spoke in a low voice, “Well then, we better do something about that…”

Kyle slowly dipped his head, his pulse picking up speed with every inch that he came closer to her. He felt her shudder as their tongues met, and he couldn’t help but think what an incredible kisser she was. His hand moved to cradle her face while the other gripped her hip, his thumb stroking across her bare skin. He wanted to protest when Serena pulled away from the kiss, but the words died in his throat as her mouth nipped the sensitive skin there, soothing it with her tongue. The whole room seemed to be spinning as Serena tangled her hands in Kyle’s hair. As her mouth moved lower, coherent thought returned to him and Kyle somehow found the will to speak.

“I’m not sure this is a good idea,” he choked out.

He winced when he looked down into Serena’s fallen face, realizing the stupidity of his words, and quickly backpedaled. “I mean right now. It’s definitely, definitely a good idea. But you’ve been through a lot tonight, and it’s pretty obvious that you need the rest.”

“But I’m not tired,” she countered softly, the seductive tone of her voice sending shivers down his spine.

Kyle groaned as he buried his face into her neck. “God, why was I cursed with such strong moral fiber?”

He pulled back to look in her eyes and his stomach flipped over. It took all of his self-restraint not to do what her eyes were screaming for him to do.

“Serena, I don’t want to take advantage of the situation.”

“You’re not taking advantage of anything, Kyle,” she said, arching up into him. “I want you. Now.”

Damn that was hot. His resistance crumbled, and with a slight shrug of his shoulders he said, “Well you’ve convinced me.”

In a fraction of a second his lips were back on hers. His tongue hungrily sought out hers, craving another taste of her. When he broke away for air, Serena took the opportunity to pull her shirt up over her head.

Kyle blinked furiously. “Wu…uh…wow.”

“I take it that’s a good thing?” Serena asked with a confident smirk, seeking out bare flesh as she pulled off Kyle’s shirt.

Kyle gently pushed her back onto the bed, trailing hot kisses down the valley between her breasts.

“Mmm, that feels so good.”

Kyle smiled against her skin as he continued to move lower. He loved every little moan she made, the way her breathing came in small gasps, the way she was…snoring? Kyle looked up curiously, finding Serena in peaceful slumber.

“Way to go, Valenti. You put the girl to sleep,” he mumbled dismally. He climbed back up the length of the bed, resting his head on the pillow beside Serena. “Was I really that bad?”

Soundlessly, Kyle shifted them both underneath the covers. He curled up next to her, one arm stretched out under her neck, the other hugging against her stomach. A feeling of warmth gathered in the pit of his stomach as Serena sighed contentedly, covering his hands with her own.

And that’s where he found himself now, staring up at the ceiling as Serena snored quietly beside him. Almost against his will, his mind wandered back to the images he had seen earlier, the ones he had tried futilely to forget. He just couldn’t understand…how could he not have known? All the time he spent with her, everything they shared together. Was he really that blind? Then again, none of the others had known what she was really like. But none of the others had been as close to her as he had.

Kyle dropped a hand over his heavy eyelids, allowing them to fall closed. And he saw her. Those icy blue as she approached Liz. As she apologized for the life and the future she was about to take. And for a moment, Kyle thought he saw remorse flickering there, a passing reminder of the Tess he thought he had known.

In the bedroom next door, Max wasn’t fairing any better. When Liz collapsed into his arms, he could hardly breathe. His whole body had relaxed at the feeling of her steady pulse, but he was far from feeling at ease. Watching her suffer through that was harder than he thought it would be, and even now the possible repercussions were weighing on his mind. For the thousandth time he looked down to where her head rested on his chest. Still asleep.

Taking care of Liz had consumed him so much that he hadn’t had time to think about her uncovered memory. But now he was at rest, and all he had were his thoughts. He blamed himself, of course. He was supposed to be their leader; he was the one the group looked to in times of doubt. And he was the one who brought Tess into their lives. Like the others he had been wary of her at first, but never had he imagined that she was capable of that.

And Liz…God, he could only imagine how she would feel once she woke up. She had been violated, had something indescribably precious stolen from her. A shiver ran through him and he pulled Liz tighter against him, listening to the even sounds of her breathing. He was grateful that she was able to escape in sleep, at least for a little while.

“I’m sorry, baby. I’m so sorry,” he mumbled into her hair. “Everything’s going to be alright now. I promise.”

But some promises, no matter how heart-felt and genuine, are just impossible to keep.

Daydreamer23
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Daydreamer23 »

A/N: Sorry for the delay, guys. School has kind of been kicking my butt lately. But I'm back!

Thanks for reading guys!
Timelord31- No apologies necessary. :D
Flamehair
Natalie36
Emz80m
begonia9508
IheartMax
Ms_BuffyAnneSummers
Elizabeth Kivana

Chapter 25

“Hey there Sleeping Beauty. You need a kiss to wake you up?”

Max’s eyes snapped open at the soft voice whispering in his ear. Liz smiled down gently at him and placed a light kiss on the tip of his nose.

Max ran his fingers up her arm before sitting up against the headboard and drawing her into his lap. “How are you feeling?”

She shrugged her shoulders, her hands resting on his chest. “I don’t know.”

There was a long pause, with Liz seemingly deep in thought as she bit her bottom lip. “It was strange, wasn’t it? Seeing us like that. What we could have been…what we almost were,” she trailed off sadly.

Max responded with a jerky nod of his head, unsure what to say or do. Physically he thought that she was looking better than she had the night before, but the tone of her voice betrayed the emotional turmoil that was churning inside of her. He was overwhelmed sometimes by how strong she was, but everyone has their breaking point. He only hoped that Liz hadn’t reached hers.

She went on, her voice shaking slightly, “And what Tess did to me, to us.” She blinked back the tears in her eyes and looked miserably into Max’s. “I mean, I know that it was another life and that it isn’t real anymore, but it’s still…it still hurts, you know?”

Anger and guilt tore through him at the trembling of her small frame. She looked so lost and vulnerable, so unlike the girl he had always known.

His thumbs ran across her cheeks as he spoke soothingly. “I know it hurts. It hurts me, too. But everything is going to be alright now. I’m not going to let anything happen to you.”

Liz sighed at the tender gesture, but the feeling was washed away as guilt flooded over her. “Everything I did, Max…all the pain I caused you, both of us…all of it was for nothing. She tore our lives apart, and I helped her do it. I don’t deserve your help or your forgiveness.”

Max pulled her tightly against his chest, hoping she hadn’t seen the tears forming in his eyes. It tortured him to see her in so much pain, but right now he needed to be strong for her. Liz tried to pull back from him, but his strong arms held her in place. She finally relented and tucked her head under his chin, letting his warmth envelope her.

“Don’t blame yourself for this, Liz. None of us could have known what was going to happen. We all made mistakes. Me more than anyone else,” he finished softly.

She pulled back harshly at his words. “How can you say that, Max? You wouldn’t have done anything that you did if I hadn’t…hadn’t…”

His hands went to either side of her face, holding her gently. “Please don’t say that. You didn’t force me to do anything. I made my own choices. You have to stop blaming yourself for this, okay?”

She nodded her head weakly, and Max could tell that it was only for his benefit. It would be a long while before Liz would forgive herself for what had happened, before she would stop feeling responsible for it. Until then all he could do was be there for her, to reassure her and love her.

He tilted her head forward and brushed his lips against her forehead. “I love you, Liz.”

Wiping away the lingering tears with the back of her hand, she responded feebly. “I love you too.”

“How about I run you a bath? Sound good?”

Liz silently nodded her head, then shifted away so that he could stand. His hand lingered over hers, a promise to return, before he stepped inside the bathroom. He turned the water on, adjusting it until it was just the right temperature. Steam billowed up inside the room, and Max was suddenly pulled back to the kitchen of the Crashdown.

Liz maneuvered about the room, refilling a bowl of strawberries. There was a pull in the pit of his stomach, something more than desire and deeper than need. God, she was so temptingly close. Every time she moved past him he could smell her, and it was making him dizzy. Unable to stand it any longer, he grabbed her arm and pulled her roughly against his body. His lips claimed hers passionately, and she met him with equal fervor. Lifting her up to the table, his mouth sought out the sweet bare flesh of her neck as she clung tightly to him. He never wanted this moment to end.

Max shook the memory from his head, shutting the water off. Back in the room he found Liz sitting on the bed waiting for him. She looked almost on the verge of tears again. Max lifted her up into his arms, smiling to himself when hers wound around his neck. He set her gently on the edge of the tub and knelt before her, his hands stroking up and down her bare calves.

“Do you want me to help you get undressed?” His intentions were completely innocent, but Max couldn’t help the heat that tingled beneath his skin.

Liz wordlessly nodded and raised her arms above her head. Max took hold of the bottom of her shirt and pulled it off. He smoothed back her tousled hair, allowing his fingers to linger in her dark tresses. When his hands moved to the bottom of her pajama pants, Liz lifted her hips, allowing him to pull her pants and panties off in one swift motion. All her clothes removed, she lowered herself slowly into the tub. The hot water eased her tired muscles, and her eyes fell closed as she voiced her appreciation.

“Mmmm, that feels really nice. Thank you so much.”

Max ran his thumb across the small, contented smile on her lips. “I’ll be right in the other room if you need me.”

The smile slipped from her face and something akin to panic took its place. “You mean you’re not staying?”

Max kissed her lightly on the lips. “I’ll stay if you want me to.”

“Actually…” Her hand slipped under his shirt, dancing across the rippling muscles of his stomach, “I was thinking you could join me.”

Max narrowed his eyes in mock thought. “Hmmm. Now that you mention it, I could use a bath.”

Max quickly removed his clothes, a faint blush painting his cheeks under Liz’s appreciative stare. His stomach still tightened every time she looked at him. Liz moved forward, giving him room to slide into the tub behind her. She settled in between his legs, resting against his chest. A moan rumbled in her throat as Max’s hands began to slowly massage her shoulders and her neck.

“Do you like that?” he asked, his breathing becoming quicker.

She leaned further into his touch, throatily making her reply. “Oh yeah. Please don’t stop.”

A few relaxed minutes passed by in silence, broken only by Liz’s occasional moans. At that moment all her pain, her fear, and her guilt seemed to be wiped away by Max’s strong hands.

“How do you do it?” she asked dreamily.

Max leaned in close to her ear. “Do what?”

“Take away all my pain with just one touch. Nothing else that we go through matters to me, as long as at the end of it I can be right here in your arms.”

Liz turned herself in his lap, not an easy task in the small tub, and draped her arms around his neck. She gently moved her lips gently against his as their bodies joined together. The kiss became hungrier, more desperate as their hips rocked rhythmically until both reached their release. Held securely in Max’s arms, Liz knew for certain that she had meant every word she said.

Freshly dried and dressed, Max and Liz walked hand-in-hand to the living room. And when all chatter instantly stopped, Liz knew exactly what they had been talking about.

“How are you feeling, chica?” Maria asked warmly from her perch on the arm of Michael’s chair.

“Pretty good,” Liz answered, leaning into Max as he wrapped an arm around her shoulder. “And, listen you guys…I don’t want you to feel uncomfortable talking about what happened. I mean we have to talk about it, right? I just want you to know that I’m okay and it’s not going to upset me.”

As Liz finished speaking, she felt her legs wavering and the strength leaving her body. “Max,” she said softly, “I don’t…I don’t feel so good.”

He looked down into her face, and her pallor had him instantly worried. He gripped her hips to steady her. “Liz maybe you should go lie down. Here, let me help you.”

As he pulled her to him, his mind was assaulted with a flash. Liz’s heart clenched at the pained and concerned expression that lingered over his features.

“Liz,” he started grimly, “I think we need to talk.”

Daydreamer23
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Daydreamer23 »

A/N: Well I officially suck at life. It's been almost two months?! Sorry it's taken me so long to update, but my professors have been keeping me really busy lately. So without further delay, here's the next chapter. Thanks for the comments and the bumps!

So that we're up to date, the group has just found out that in the previous timeline Tess used her powers to prevent Max and Liz from conceiving a child who was supposed to bring peace to Antar, thereby causing the end of the world.

From chapter 25:

As Liz finished speaking, she felt her legs wavering and the strength leaving her body. “Max,” she said softly, “I don’t…I don’t feel so good.”

He looked down into her face, and her pallor had him instantly worried. He gripped her hips to steady her. “Liz maybe you should go lie down. Here, let me help you.”

As he pulled her to him, his mind was assaulted with a flash. Liz’s heart clenched at the pained and concerned expression that lingered over his features.

“Liz,” he started grimly, “I think we need to talk.”

Chapter 26

She knew that look. She knew it all too well, had seen it probably dozens of times before. No matter how he tried to hide it she could always see it in the little crease between his brow and the flicker of darkness across his eyes. He had something bad to tell her and he was struggling with how to do it.

Liz fidgeted on the bed, fists clenching and releasing in attempt to ease the anxiousness flowing through her. “Max? Would you please say something already? This silence is driving me crazy.”

Max reluctantly lifted his head and took her hand in his, his thumb lightly stroking across her skin. “I know Liz, but I…I just don’t know exactly what to tell you yet. I’m trying to work out exactly what it was I saw.”

Her body went slack against him, all tension instantly flooding from her body. Poor, sweet, overprotective Max was probably just overreacting. “If you aren’t sure what you saw then how do you know that it’s something we need to worry about?”

His hand stilled as he averted his eyes from her. “The feelings I got from the flash were really clear. It’s just the images that went along with them that are giving me trouble.”

“So what exactly did you feel?” she asked, turning his face to hers with her free hand.

Max swallowed thickly, knowing that she should know but still not wanting to tell her. “It was dark…malevolent…evil.”

Liz’s breath caught in her throat. He had seen that from her? What could that mean?

“Wh-what did you see then?”

He made to turn his head away, but her hand on his jaw held him in place. He was holding something back. She could see the torment swirling in his eyes and a spike of fear shot through her. Mustering up the strength to appear unfazed, she leaned her forehead against his.

“It’s okay, baby,” she encouraged, “You can tell me.”

“It’s all really blurry but there was one thing that I saw clearly…”

His breath was shaky and the words clearly weren’t coming easily.

“Go ahead,” Liz urged, wondering now just how much she wanted to know what he saw.

Max raised a hand to cup her cheek, offering her a sorrowful smile. “I saw Chris,” he said slowly, his voice filled with concern.

Liz pulled back abruptly, confusion creasing her brow. “Chris?”

“I’m so sorry, Liz. I don’t-”

“Of course you would see Chris,” she cut in. “He’s been a part of my life for the past year. I’m not surprised that you would get a flash about him.”

Max shook his head gently, dropping his hand from her face. “Liz you don’t understand. I got a really bad feeling about him. I also saw him with this other and guy and…I don’t know. I didn’t like what I was feeling.”

“What are you trying to say to me, Max?”

Max didn’t notice the anger laced through the question.

“I don’t know. All I know is that there’s something off about him, Liz. I don’t think you should trust him.”

“No,” she replied resolutely. “I can’t believe that. I just can’t. Chris is a good person. He’s never been anything but kind and sweet to me.”

Max sighed heavily. How could he make her understand? “Liz, I-”

Raising her hand to stop him, Liz spoke forcefully. “I’m not discussing this with you, Max.”

That was apparently her final word on the matter. She roughly pushed herself from the bed and, throwing the door open so hard that it flung against the wall, exited the room. Michael stood on the other side, looking sufficiently scolded when she threw an angry glare at him.

“She didn’t seem to take it very well,” he said evenly.

“Were you listening at the door?” Max asked indignantly, certain that he already knew the answer.

“What else did you expect Maxwell? It was clearly something serious, and clearly something that you weren’t planning on sharing with us.” Michael’s tone was annoyed, though not really angry.

“I wanted to tell Liz first,” he replied through gritted teeth.

Michael ambled over to a chair, propping up his legs and linking his hands over his stomach as he sat. “Well you told her. Now what do we do? What do you think this guy’s deal is?”

“I don’t know, Mike. But I don’t trust that guy.”

“Are you sure this has nothing to do with the fact that he’s been dating Liz?”

Max shot him a look clearly meant to end that line of thinking. Michael, however, continued on undeterred.

“I mean, you’ve seen him touch her, hold her, call her little pet names. You know that they’ve kissed…maybe more. Are you sure you’re not just angry with this guy for taking your place?”

Max’s jaw tightened momentarily before he made his stiff reply. “That has nothing to do with it. I’m telling you Michael, this guy is bad news.”

Michael considered him for a brief moment before nodding his acceptance. “Okay, I believe you. So what do we do about it?”

“I don’t think we really need to do anything right now. He’s on the other side of the country.”

“You think we need to go check him out?”

Max leaned his elbows onto his knees, running his hands through his hair. “I honestly don’t know what to do. Liz trusts him. She won’t hear a single word against him. And I just can’t…”

“You don’t want to be on the skids with the old lady,” Michael replied with a smirk.

“Something like that,” Max returned with a smile. “So whatever we decide, we have to make sure she doesn’t know about it. At least not until I know more about what’s going on. I just don’t want to upset her.”

“Okay. I’ll talk to Alex and see if we can do some recon on this guy,” Michael said, standing up from his chair. His eyes narrowed as he looked at Max’s neck and under his breath muttered, “Damn.”

“What is it?”

“Uh, nothing,” Michael answered, fighting against the tug at the corners his lips that threatened to become a smile. “I guess I just never pegged Liz as a biter.”

xxxxxxxxxx

“How could he even suggest something like that, Maria?” Liz bit out angrily.

She and Maria were on the bed in the room that Maria shared with Michael. As Liz had passed by the living room moments before, she grabbed Maria’s hand and without a word dragged her into the empty room. Her face slightly flushed, she went on to tell Maria what Max had said about the flash.

“I mean it’s not like I expect him to like Chris or anything, but to say that Chris is somehow…evil…”

Maria looked down at her angry best friend who was sprawled out on her back. She fell down beside her, their head close together as they both looked at the ceiling.

“I don’t know what to tell you, chica. All I can say is that Max doesn’t really seem the spiteful type to me. I mean, I can’t imagine that he would say those things just to hurt you. I don’t see him holding some kind of grudge against Chris. And I don’t think he’s worried about Chris as competition.” Maria turned her head to regard Liz, one eyebrow arched. “Should he?”

Liz snapped her head in Maria’s direction, clearly affronted. “Of course not! How could you ask me that? You know how much I love Max.”

Maria shrugged her shoulders. “Just asking. So when I consider what I know about Max, I can only come to the conclusion that he’s telling you what he really believes. Maybe he’s wrong, maybe he isn’t. But I don’t think you should be angry with him.”

Liz heaved out a heavy sigh, knowing that Maria was right. She should apologize to Max for overreacting. But still, she couldn’t accept that the things he said about Chris were true. There had to be some other explanation. Turning back to Maria, she looked at her through narrowed eyes.

“What you just said is really insightful and level-headed. How come you’re never like this when you and Michael fight?”

“Because I’m always right and Spaceboy needs to come to terms with that.”

Both girls erupted into a fit of laughter, which was quickly cut off by a frantic pounding on the hotel room door. They moved cautiously towards the living room, Max and Michael already there with the others. Everyone eyed the door suspiciously, none of them sure if they should open it. Max raised a hand, signaling to Maria and Liz to stay where they were. Michael, Isabel, and Serena flanked him as he raised a hand to the doorknob. He didn’t get the chance to open it though, as the entire door was flung forward off its hinges, a bloodied body collapsing on top of it. The man appeared gravely injured and it seemed a miracle that he was still moving. He lifted himself up onto his arms and surveyed the group gathered in front of him. It took all of what fleeting life he had to speak, and when he did it was in a hoarse and cracked voice.

“He’s here now. There’s nowhere left to run. He’s come for you.”

Daydreamer23
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: When He Returns (CC, M/L, Mature) Ch 26 12/12/07

Post by Daydreamer23 »

A/N: Thanks for all the feedback and the bumps. It's really late here and I'm exhausted, so I'm just going to jump right into the chapter.

From Chapter 26

Everyone eyed the door suspiciously, none of them sure if they should open it. Max raised a hand, signaling to Maria and Liz to stay where they were. Michael, Isabel, and Serena flanked him as he raised a hand to the doorknob. He didn’t get the chance to open it though, as the entire door was flung forward off its hinges, a bloodied body collapsing on top of it. The man appeared gravely injured and it seemed a miracle that he was still moving. He lifted himself up onto his arms and surveyed the group gathered in front of him. It took all of what fleeting life he had to speak, and when he did it was in a hoarse and cracked voice.

“He’s here now. There’s nowhere left to run. He’s come for you.”

Chapter 27

It was nearly an hour later and aside from the order that they all leave the hotel immediately, Max hadn’t uttered a word to anyone. He sat by himself in front of Gate 3 at LAX, waiting for the plane that would fly them into the Roswell International Air Center. He wasn’t sure exactly what it was that had made him decide on running back to Roswell. He didn’t even remember making the decision until the words were out of his mouth, but somehow he felt that it was right.

It had gone unspoken among them, but everyone seemed to know that Max needed to be by himself. There had just been something in his eyes when they were fixated on that man’s face. If Liz had to put a word to it, she would have almost called it recognition. Though why Max would know him she could scarcely begin to explain. And his demeanor afterward had been distant as he appeared to be sorting things out in his mind. But now Liz decided that he been alone long enough. If left to his thoughts for too long he was certain to find a way to hold himself responsible for this, and would inevitably isolate himself from her in a misguided attempt to protect her. And they had come too far for her to allow him to do that to her again.

All eyes wearily followed her as she dropped into the seat next to him, waiting patiently for him to acknowledge her presence. He bit the inside of his lip before tentatively offering his hand out to her. She took it without hesitation, holding it securely between her knees as she leaned her head to rest on his shoulder.

“Are you ready to talk about it?”

Max stole a surreptitious glance down at Liz’s face. How was he going to explain this to her?

“I don’t think you’re going to like what I have to say,” he said softly.

“Well then that’s my problem and I’ll have to deal with it,” she replied, compassion shining in her eyes as she turned her face to his. “When you love someone you make sure you’re there for them, even if sometimes it’s hard on you. I don’t want you to feel like you have to keep things from me, Max. We’ve done the whole secretive thing before and it’s never worked out for us, has it? Let me be there for you.”

Max allowed himself to relax into her touch, welcoming her warmth and support. What they were facing was starting to overwhelm him, but he knew he had to appear strong for the others. He was, after all, supposed to be their leader. But Liz allowed him to be vulnerable, to let his tough veneer crack and help him maintain his sanity. Still, he hated to burden her with his fears, and right now he knew he had a lot to be afraid of, even if he didn’t completely understand what was going on.

“I…I’ve seen that guy before,” he began cautiously, preparing himself to stop at the first sign of distress from her.

Liz nodded her head, his words confirming what she had half-expected. “Where did you see him?” she prodded gently.

This was the difficult part, and Max debated with himself if he should tell her the full truth. He once thought he knew Liz better than anyone, but at that moment he wasn’t sure he could predict her reaction. Her response to his flash certainly hadn’t been what he expected. But even as he tried to come up with a suitable deception, he knew that he shouldn’t. She was right; they had both lied and left each other out of the truth too many times.

“He was in the flash that I got from you. He…he was the person I saw…with Chris.”

Liz’s gaze snapped down to her lap, worry and confusion racing across her features. She toyed with Max’s fingers in between hers, her mind furiously trying to process what Max told her.

“Wh-what does that mean?” she asked, trying yet failing to sound unfazed. “Do you think Chris is in some kind of danger?”

“I don’t know,” Max answered, squeezing her hand in an attempt to reassure her. The action drew her attention back to his face and he continued softly. “I’m going to figure this out, Liz. And I promise that I…that I won’t let anything happen to him, ok?”

Liz pressed her lips against his for a brief, sweet kiss before pulling back and allowing their foreheads to linger together. She couldn’t describe to him how much she appreciated his promise to protect Chris. She knew how hard it was for him that technically she was still in a relationship with him. Though she thought that it was possibly even harder on her. She had always detested cheaters and never in her life had she imagined that she would cheat on someone…but when it came to Max Evans, she just couldn’t deny her heart. Even to her it sounded like a pathetic excuse, but it was the whole truth. And she hated feeling guilty for being with the man that she loved. The problem was that her conscience wouldn’t let her break up with Chris over the phone, nor could she very well go back to Chicago right now. For the time being at least, the situation seemed hopeless to her. She took her solace in knowing that she had Max and his love to sustain her.

“We’ll figure it out together, Max,” she assured him. She brought a hand up to gently caress his cheek before drawing him in for a deeper, slower kiss.

Isabel turned her eyes from the spectacle of her brother making out with Liz Parker, silently cursing her perfect eyesight. “What do you think they were talking about?” she asked to no one in particular.

“I don’t know. They both looked pretty upset,” Maria responded, pulling Michael’s arm tighter around her. She had felt a pervading cold that sank down to her bones ever since the incident at the hotel. The way that man had spoken to them, his ominous warnings…she just couldn’t seem to keep it from her mind.

As if sensing her need, Michael pulled her even closer into his body, wrapping his free arm around her middle. “Oh yeah, real upset. You can tell from the way they’re sucking face just how distressed they are,” he said dryly.

Across from him Kyle snickered, trying to cover it under the guise of a cough. He wasn’t able to hide it from Serena though, and both men were promptly rapped on the head by the women sitting next to them.

“Jesus, woman! What did you do that for?” Kyle cried, lifting a hand in protection as the other rubbed the sore spot on his head.

“I think they’re sweet together,” Serena replied indignantly. She added in a frustrated whisper, “Would it kill you to try to be romantic once in a while?”

“What are you talking about?” he asked in an injured tone. “Are you forgetting the other day when I bought you chocolates?”

“It was a Hershey bar that you had already eaten half of!”

He pointed an accusing finger at her. “I brought you flowers.”

“Dandelions that you picked from the side of the hotel,” she tossed back.

Excitedly jumping up as inspiration struck, he shouted out, “Last week I bought your tampons!”

The four people around them burst out laughing at this and Serena grabbed Kyle’s hand to pull him back into his seat, a deep red blush creeping its way to her cheeks.

“How is that romantic?” she hissed.

Kyle’s mouth hung agape, clearly showing that he couldn’t believe how she could even ask that. “Do you have any idea how embarrassing that was? I even had to ask someone what kind to get. That was a total gesture on my part.” He turned toward Michael for support, “Mike?”

“Purchasing of feminine products is a definite symbol of devotion and should, I believe, be rewarded handsomely.”

"Amen," Alex grumbled in agreement.

Maria scoffed at Michael's comment, though she couldn’t exactly say she was surprised. Michael had come along way in the romance department in the years they’d been together, but she suspected that deep at heart he was still the man who thought that generic brand shampoo/conditioner was a romantic gift. But what could she do, she silently reminded herself, she loved him.

The couples sat in silence then, gentle touches and caresses promising that everything would be alright, even though no one could be sure that it would be. It was a short time later when the gate attendant announced the arrival of the plane and the rows to be boarded.

It was time to go home.

Daydreamer23
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: When He Returns (CC, M/L, Mature) Ch 27 1/26/08

Post by Daydreamer23 »

Oh my goodness! Has it really been that long? I guess time flies when you're buried under a mountain of homework. Let's get right into it then.

Chapter 28

She held her hand in front of her discreetly, admiring the gold band adorning her finger. It seemed she had not yet become accustomed to the novel piece of jewelry. She turned at the sound of footsteps behind her and a pair of arms wrapped themselves around her waist, the mate to her ring reflecting the light of the afternoon sun. She giggled helplessly as her husband scooped her up over his shoulder and walked towards the front door. Certainly not the conventional way to carry the wife over the threshold, but sweet all the same.

Liz sighed as turned her head from the happy couple, feeling somewhat of an intruder. She wondered if that could ever be her and Max, happy and in love and without a worry in the world. Sure, everyone has their problems. But sometimes it’s nice to pretend that they don’t exist, to allow yourself a moment where love wraps itself around you like a shield and nothing bad could possibly touch you. Liz sadly reflected that she and Max had never had that kind of peace, not really. Their problems had always been too big, too dangerous, too consuming to be ignored. And if the tribulations they were currently facing were any indication of what their future held, they were sure in for a hell of a ride. But if that’s what it took to be with Max, well then she would endure a lifetime of it with a smile on her face. Of course that didn’t stop her from hoping…

“Are you gonna sit out here in the hot car all day or are you coming in?”

Liz bit her lip apprehensively as she slowly turned her head towards the familiar voice. Max was leaning in her window, crossed arms supporting his weight. And, she noted with relief, the biggest smile was plastered to his face. Her stomach fluttered at the sight, at the wide grin and the light shining from his eyes. If she wasn’t so in love with him already, that smile alone would be enough to steal her heart.

She grinned to match him and asked in a confident voice, “So I take it that everything went well?”

He pushed his upper body further into the car and spoke against her lips. “It did.”

Liz broke away from his mouth just as Max tried to deepen the kiss. “I knew it would,” she said confidently, pushing the door open and forcing Max back a couple of steps. She took hold of both of his hands and pulled them behind her back, drawing him to embrace her. “Tell me everything,” she commanded softly as her lips lightly brushed his.

“Well…”

Max and Isabel stood in front of the door, their hands clasped so tightly together that circulation was becoming a serious issue. What now? Should they knock? Or would it be better to just walk in? It had taken them over two hours to work up the courage to leave the car and cross the street. Now it was like they were surrounded by invisible walls, forbidding them from going any further, but not allowing them any retreat. Max had never imagined it would be this hard to walk through a door that he passed through so many times before, to the place he had called his home. Hadn’t his dad taught him to ride his bike right in that driveway? Wasn’t that the garden that he helped his mom plant? So many memories that should be urging him forward but instead seemed to be holding him back. All he remembered of them was the all-accepting love and compassion they had always showed him. He was scared to death to go in there and find it all changed. He looked over his shoulder to find Liz smiling at him encouragingly, and with one last squeeze of Isabel’s hand, he turned the doorknob and stepped inside.

His eyes barely had time to adjust to the new lighting when he found himself pulled away from his sister and into a tight embrace.

“I was wondering when you were finally going to come in, you’ve been out there practically all day” an emotional voice spoke into his ear.

Max pulled back to look into his mother’s face, smiling and crying at the same time, before pulling her firmly back against him. Over her head he could see Isabel crying into their father’s shoulder, her hands twisting the fabric of his shirt as he ran his hand up and down her back. He noticed the glistening of tears in his father’s eyes as his own rolled down his cheeks.

“My babies are home. Thank the Lord, my babies are finally home.”

“We sat down in the living room. My mom held my hand the whole time, even when she was hugging Isabel,” Max said with a chuckle. “They said that they understood why we kept the truth from them so long, and why we had to leave the way we did. Of course they asked us what we’ve been doing and why we came back. We….we had to tell them the truth, though I tried to leave out some of the more…difficult details.”

Max unconsciously pulled Liz tighter against him, and she noticed the slight trembling that ran through his body. She released his hands to wrap her arms around his waist, resting her cheek against his chest.

“They said that…that no matter what we were their children. That nothing we could tell them would change their love for us,” Max said, his voice breaking.

“See,” Liz teasingly pinched his side, trying to alleviate some of the tension. “You were worried for nothing. I told you everything would be fine.”

His mood lightening, Max smile down at her. “Yeah, you did. Lucky for me I have such a smart girlfriend, huh?”

“And don’t you forget it,” she accentuated her words with a poke to his chest. “I guess that means you’re going to keep me around, huh?”

“Oh I plan to,” Max responded as his feet began to move him backwards, pulling Liz along with him. “Now come inside, they want to talk to you.”

Following Max into the house, Liz could see Isabel sitting close to Phillip on the couch, dabbing at her eyes with a tissue even while happiness laced itself through her voice. She and Liz shared a smile, and Liz marveled at the vulnerability that she had always suspected but had never seen in Isabel Evans. Diane entered from the kitchen, carrying a tray drinks which she almost dropped when she caught sight of Liz. She hastily shoved it into Max’s hands and, gripping Liz’s upper arms, pulled the young woman into a hug.

“Thank you,” Diane whispered into her ear. “Thank you so much.”

“For what?” Liz asked, feeling overwhelmed by the emotions pouring off the other woman.

Diane’s eyes cut over towards Max. “For everything,” she answered quietly. “Max…told us about…about this prophecy,” she continued on haltingly, concern etched on her face. “How do you feel about all this, dear?”

“It’s a little overwhelming sometimes,” Liz admitted honestly, reflexively tucking her hair behind her ear. “But I have Max to help me through it. Even though sometimes he drives me crazy, the way he’s always worrying over me,” she added with a small laugh and ducked her head.

Diane felt renewed tears flood her eyes as she gazed over the young woman in front of her. It had not escaped her notice the way that Max looked at this dark haired beauty, like his heart had sprung from his chest and was now walking about the living room. She was his life, his world. She had worried for so long that Max’s past, his crippling shyness would keep him from finding true happiness. Now she could see just how truly his sentiments were returned with her own eyes, and it caused her heart to swell.

“You really love him, don’t you?” Diane asked, unable to hide the awe shading her voice.

Liz leveled her head to look Diane squarely in the eye and answered with certainty. “With all my heart.”

Her response was a shaky nod of her head, gratitude and understanding passing between the two women. Diane stepped aside when she saw her son approaching, his eyes reflecting his thankfulness over her easy acceptance of his love. He approached Liz from behind and she willingly fell back into his embrace.

“It’s been a pretty emotional day, huh?”

Max nodded, his cheek rubbing against her soft one. He breathed her scent in deeply and trailed a path of feather-light kisses from her jaw up to her temple. Liz turned in his arms to face him.

“I think I’m going to head over to the Crash, see my parents,” she said, watching her fingers dance back and forth across Max’s chest.

“Sounds good. I’ll give you a ride,” he responded, already reaching for his keys.

Liz grabbed hold of his wrist, stopping him mid-motion. “No, you don’t have to do that. You stay here, with your family. You guys should really spend some time together.”

Max’s hand rose up to stroke her cheek. “I don’t want you wandering around by yourself. It’s not safe anymore.”

“You worry too much,” she tossed back, forcing her tone to remain light. His words brought back images of the bloody corpse in their hotel room, and she couldn’t deny that she was frightened. But Max had enough stress as it was. She refused to let him see her fear. “I’m going to be in a crowded restaurant, with my dad. You remember how scary he is, don’t you?”

Max’s eyes widened at her teasing, not finding it funny in the least. He remembered all too well how much Mr. Parker intimidated him.

“Aaaaaand, if it makes you feel better, you can come by to check on me later and tuck me into bed,” she finished, gently tweaking his nose.

After a few seconds of a stubborn staring match, Max released a heavy sigh. “Fine. You can go alone. But you are taking my car, and calling me when you get there.”

“Max!” she laughed, “It’s like a five minute drive from here to the restaurant. What do you think is gonna happen between here and there?”

“Hey, that’s the deal. You call when you get there. And you have Michael meet you until I come over,” he said resolutely. “Now you either accept that, or I go with you.”

Liz could tell he had gone into overprotective mode and knew that one way or another he was going to get his way. “Alright, alright. I’ll call when I…” she stopped short, noticing the worry in Max’s countenance and knowing that there was something else causing it. “What’s the matter?”

Max licked his lips and darted his eyes away from hers. “I…I just…what exactly are you going to tell your parents? About me? A-about us?”

Liz couldn’t help but smile at how cute he looked, so shy and nervous. At times like this it was easy to forget that he was only half human. He seemed so…normal in his insecurities.

She moved her face into his eye line and forced his gaze to focus on her. “I’ll tell them whatever you want me to, Max.”

He shook his head. “That’s not for me to decide. This isn’t just my secret. This whole thing affects you too. You’ve lied for me for so long, and I know how much you hate lying to them.”

Liz couldn’t help but think that Max Evans couldn’t be real. Even with all he had been through, the years he had spent trying to hide his identity and the torture he had suffered at its discovery, his concern was still for her feelings. Just so she could feel better about her relationship with her parents, he was willing to expose himself to even more danger than he already faced. Just what saint did they clone him from?

Her arms twined around his neck and she lifted herself to her tiptoes to be more level with him. “For the time being, I think it’s best that we leave out the alien details. At least until we get through this current crisis.”

Max nodded his acceptance of her decision.

“But I love you, and I never want to hide that,” she added, pressing her lips firmly against his in a reassuring kiss. “So I’ll explain to them that we’re together and that’s that. They can say whatever they want, but it won’t change anything. I love you and it’s forever.”

Max’s emotions seemed to peak and valley practically every other second that day, but hearing Liz Parker say that she loved him always put on a high that lasted. With a smile that he was sure wouldn’t fade, he walked her out to the car, kissing her deeply before watching her drive off.

The next thing Liz registered, she was stepping from the car and dialing Max’s number, giving him assurance of her safe arrival, a promise that she would see him later, and another declaration of her unshakeable love. She closed the phone just as she stepped inside, scanning the restaurant for her parents. She noted a few customers scattered among the booths and tables, families, groups of friends, and couples of varying ages, and one person seated at the counter.

She stepped further inside and the door to the back swung open, a red-headed figure emerging with her back to her. As the woman turned around, her eyes immediately settled on Liz and widened in surprise.

“Lizzie! Oh sweetheart, when did you get here?!” her mother shouted across the room, wiping her hands on her apron and hurrying over to her daughter.

Liz met her mother half-way and the two embraced one another. “I just got in, actually. I really wanted to see you and daddy.”

“I’m so glad you’re here sweetie. We missed you so much!”

When her mom released her, Liz was slightly taken aback by the grin on her face. It was the kind of smile she wore when she was planning something, or when she knew some sort of secret.

Why was her mom smiling at her like that?

“And…” Nancy began in a sly voice, “You have a visitor.”

Liz’s brow furrowed in confusion, and she followed her mother’s sideways glance to the man on her left. Slowly he spun his stool around to face her.

“Chris?!”

“Hey there, sweetness. Surprised?”
Last edited by Daydreamer23 on Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.