Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) COMPLETE 3/3/10

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) CH 51 17/11/08

Post by Oz »

Okay, I'm back. The feedback wasn't as bad as I expected :wink: It seems most of you have given Max the benefit of the doubt :D

And I seem to have the writing bug at the moment - partly inspired by the fact that I've finally found two new characters that can potentially rival my obsession with Max and Liz. I'm probably way behind the times (well, I must be since the movie opens in a few weeks), but I've just started reading the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer and I'm feeding off the Edward/Bella relationship (pardon the pun :lol:). Very inspiring. Stephenie Meyer is a genius.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Short and sweet, but better than waiting another week I say!

Max POV

“Where is it? Where is it?” I mumbled to myself, frustrated that I couldn’t find my phone. I needed to call Liz.

I heard a key in the front door and it squeak open slowly. I looked at my watch – it was early and I had assumed that Tess was still asleep in bed. I guess not. I waited as she crept up the hallway, trying not to make a sound.

“Hi.” I said, when she walked into the lounge room.

“Max, you scared me!” Tess exclaimed, jumping sky high – obviously not having expected me to be up so early.

“Where have you been?” I asked, asking as casually as possible. There was something odd about the way she had crept inside.

“I went for a walk.” Tess replied, and when noting my sceptical expression, she added “and I didn’t want to wake you when I came in.”

“I’ve been up for a while.” I replied. Truth was, I couldn’t sleep with images of Liz and Bryce spinning around my head all night.

“What happened in here?” Tess asked, referring to the bomb that had hit the lounge room.

“I’m trying to find my cell phone.” I replied, straightening up the cushions on the sofa. “Have you seen it?”

“No, I haven’t. Sorry.” Tess replied.

“That’s okay. I probably just left it at the hospital.” I replied, giving up the search. “Happy birthday by the way.” I added, kicking myself for not having said it as soon as she had come inside.

I rummaged around in my satchel and pulled out her present. Handing it to her, I gave her a quick kiss on the cheek and a hug.

“Thanks Max.” Tess smiled, lingering longer than was normal – or necessary. She then opened the present, revealing a silver charm bracelet.

“It’s beautiful.” Tess gushed.

I peeked over her shoulder – thank goodness for Isabel. I didn’t have time to go out and get a present yesterday, and I knew Isabel really wouldn’t mind choosing something for me.

“Here, let me help you put it on.” I said, picking up the chain out of the box. I went to pull up Tess’ sleeve slightly to reveal more of her wrist, when she flinched and let out a slight whimper.

“What is it?” I asked, pulling her sleeve higher to reveal a third degree burn on her arm.

“Tess! What happened?” I demanded. She should be in hospital with a burn like that.

“It’s nothing.” Tess tried to dismiss it and pull her sleeve down. But the pain must have been overwhelming because she staggered a little as though she was feeling faint.

“How did it happen?” I asked.

“I’d rather not talk about it. It’s silly.” Tess replied.

I just raised my eyebrow at her. She wasn’t getting out of it that easily.

“Fine. If you must know, the reason I was out early this morning is because I went into the desert to see the sunrise, just like you did the other day. I thought it was appropriate to see the sun dawn on my birthday. Anyway, because it was cold and dark when I got there, I decided to build a fire. I guess I got to close and I burnt my arm. I was too embarrassed to go to the hospital, so I came instead, I was hoping that you would heal it for me.” Tess explained, blushing.

“Of course I will.” I replied, pulling up her sleeve again and placing my hand over the burn as gently as I could. As I concentrated on looking into her eyes as I healed her, I couldn’t help but feel that she was having a hard time letting me scrutinise her so closely – like she was worried that I would see something I shouldn’t.

“You should be okay now.” I replied, taking my hand away. “But promise me that you won’t go building fires on your own again.”

“Thanks Max. I promise.” Tess replied with a smile, but that wasn’t enough to hide her obvious fatigue.

“Maybe you should take it easy today.” I suggested, leading her to the sofa and insisting that she put her feet up.

“Would you stay with me?” Tess asked, when I turned to leave the room.

“Of course.” I smiled. “How about I cook us some pancakes for breakfast and we watch some old cartoons?” I suggested.

“Sounds perfect.” Tess smiled in return.

“Did you have anything else planned for your birthday?” I asked, concerned that she was going to have to miss out on something special to spend the day on the couch.

“Nothing that would be better than spending a day with you.” Tess replied.

Liz POV

My eyes cracked open, before I immediately closed them again against the bright sunlight that was streaming into my bedroom. I started to make sense of my surroundings and knew that I was lying on my bedroom floor where I had collapsed the night before. I remembered exactly what had happened, and couldn’t even begin to fathom how it was possible. Max told me that I didn’t exist to him, and he broke off our connection.

It didn’t make any sense. If it was so easy for him to do it – why hadn’t he done it while I was away for all of those years? That way, he would have been free to move on with Tess. Why choose now, when we were finally happy together? I didn’t believe it was over one little kiss – Max wasn’t that fickle.

There was another explanation, I was sure of it - except that the connection was gone. There was no way to fake the pain I felt and the hollowness inside of me. I felt as though I had been ripped in two. It was exactly how I imagined I would feel if Max were to die…

No. No. No no no no no no NO! The vision I had of Max’s death came back to me with a vengeance.

I needed to speak to Max again. I needed to hear his voice. I needed to make sure that he was okay. And if he was, then I needed him to say the words again to me to make me believe that he meant them.

Opening up my eyes, I impatiently waited for them to adjust to the bright light while fumbling around on the floor for where I had dropped my cell phone the night before. I found it under my bed, and dialled his number. I waited for it to ring but it went straight to message bank - he must have had it switched off.

Hi, you’ve reached Max. I can’t answer the phone right now, but please leave your name and number…” Max’s message bank rattled off.

I didn’t leave a message. There would be no point if he was dead…

And if he was, then there was nothing to lose by calling his home number…

I quickly thought of an alibi in case Tess answered the phone, but I didn’t need it. The phone was engaged.

I decided to check the hospital too, but after waiting on hold for ten minutes I was told that Max wasn’t scheduled to work today.

That only left one more option. I had to go and find Max myself.

There was only one small problem with that. I was currently having trouble getting up off the floor. The pain I could live with. It hurt like nothing else on Earth, but not enough to prevent me from trying to find Max. The problem was that I was physically exhausted. I needed help.

I was about to dial one more number, but in the end, I didn’t need to.

“Liz? Oh my god, Liz! What are you doing on the floor?” Maria asked, rushing to my side. Michael quickly appeared next to her. “Michael. Help me. Something’s wrong with her.”

Michael scooped me up and laid me out on the bed, while Maria immediately sat by my side. I just wrapped my arms around Maria and let the tears come.

“What’s wrong Chica?” Maria asked.

“It hurts Maria. It hurts so much…” I cried.

“What hurts? Liz? Did Bryce do something to you last night? That son-of-a-bitch.” Maria swore and Michael clenched his fist ready to hit something.

“It wasn’t Bryce. It… it was M-Max.” I blurted, finding it hard to say the words that I still couldn’t believe.

“What did he do?” Maria asked, still worried that I had been hurt physically. I guess he had, but just not the way she was thinking.

“He told me he didn’t love me. Well, not in those words exactly. But he broke our connection. The pain … I feel as though he ripped my heart out.”

“He broke your connection?” Maria asked dumbfounded. “Is that even possible?”

“I hadn’t thought so, but now … And I can’t feel him anymore. It’s like he’s no longer there. Like he doesn’t exist.” I choked, remembering his words from the night before. My panic began to sink in once more.

Michael immediately pulled out his phone to dial Max’s number. He hung up when he got the message bank. He dialled again, no doubt Max’s home number.

“The line’s busy.” Michael announced. It wasn’t news to me. “I’m going over there.”

“I’m coming with you.” I replied, making an effort to get off the bed.

“No, honey, you’re too weak.” Maria argued, trying to make me lie back down.

“I have to Maria. I have to see him for myself.” I said determined. Maria didn’t stop me getting up this time although my knees noticeably wobbled as I stood.

“Okay, we’ll all go. We’ll find him. It will be okay.” Maria agreed, indicating that Michael should carry me to the car.

When we reached Max’s house, his jeep was parked in the driveway. That was a good sign right? My heart started racing. If he was alive and well, did I really want to see him and confirm that what he had said the previous night was really true? I knew that would kill me, but it was better than the alternative. It was better than living without Max.

“Stay here.” Michael ordered, when I went to open the door to get out.

“No.” I refused.

“Look, if this is just a big misunderstanding, do you really want to do this in front of Tess?” Maria asked. She had a point.

“Fine.” I huffed, remaining where I was in the car while Michael and Maria went to the front door.

I watched as they knocked and waited for the door to open. From the angle I was to the door, I couldn’t see who answered it, but it wasn’t long until Maria and Michael were headed back to the car. I couldn’t read their expressions which was driving me crazy.

“Is Max there? Is he okay?” I asked the moment they opened the door.

“Max is fine.” Michael answered, although not with the jubilation that I would have expected.

I felt relieved. Momentarily. Until I realised what his expression meant - Max was fine which meant that he had willingly turned the connection off.

“What did he say?” I asked. I had to know – for better or worse.

“He said that he had said everything he needed to last night and you should respect his feelings and leave him alone.” Michael replied reluctantly, while Maria looked on with a look of pity on her face.

“I don’t believe you.” I replied, opening the car door and using all of my strength to stride across the front lawn.

“Liz! Wait!” Maria called, coming after me.

Walking to his front window, rather than going to the front door, I peeked inside. Max was standing not far from the window, digging something out of the top drawer. It was a photo of me – a younger version of me that I had given him so many years ago in another lifetime. He stared at the photo for a moment and then, without any ounce of expression, he ripped it into tiny pieces before turning them to ash with his powers. He let the ash float to the floor, before returning to where Tess was seated on the sofa.

“No.” I said vehemently. “I don’t believe it.”

“Liz, honey, we have to go.” Maria said, pulling me away from the window.

“It doesn’t make any sense.” I replied, my head spinning.

“I know.” Maria agreed. “But we’ll sort it out one way or another. Right now you need to rest.”

“No!” I cried, disentangling myself from Maria. I then felt Michael’s hands grab me and pull be towards the car. I struggled as hard as I could, but even in full health I would have been little match for him, unless…

My arms began to crackle, and Michael whipped his hands off me as though he had been burned. I took that moment to take off down the street as Michael restrained Maria from coming after me. I was counting on him trying to protect Maria from being hurt by the walking time bomb.

The only thought in my head was that I needed to get to the pod chamber. I had no idea why, but I wasn’t going to ignore such a strong directive. Crossing the street outside the Crashdown, intent on borrowing Agnes’ car, I didn’t see the car coming towards me until it was too late.
"Do you see what we’ve done?
We’ve gone and made such fools of ourselves..."
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) CH 52 18/11/08

Post by Oz »

Okay, this bug is really starting to interfere with my time... Today I've managed to avoid doing any paid work, housework, and I sat my son in from the The Wiggles to give me more time to write. So this seriously needs to be my last update for the week... Really... I'm serious ...

Sorry about the cliffhanger in the previous chapter. In hindsight that was probably a bit too cruel - although it inspired lots of feeback!! :wink:

In this chapter we welcome the return of a favourite character ...

Liz POV

The wind was knocked out of my body and my body flying through the air. I waited for the painful impact of my body hitting the concrete below, but something soft broke my fall.

“Are you trying to get yourself killed?” Bryce asked, pulling himself out from under me.

Bryce had pushed me out of the way of the car just in time and broken my fall.

“No … I wasn’t looking … I…” I stammered, reeling with the possibility that my life could have been over – with no alien king around or willing to heal me.

Max.

I groaned, letting Bryce help me to my feet.

“I need to borrow your car.” I demanded, holding out my hand for the keys.

“You’re not in any state to drive.” Bryce argued.

“Fine. You’re fired.” I replied, using the only card I had to play.

Bryce just raised his eyebrow. Crap.

“Please?” I pleaded. “If I don’t bring it back in perfect condition I’ll buy you a new one.”

“It’s not the car I’m worried about. Do you realise that you could have died if I hadn’t been here?” Bryce pointed out.

“Thank you?” I replied, not sure if he was looking for gratitude or just pointing out my lack of the required reflexes needed to drive a car. The truth was that I owed him more than just gratitude for saving me, but I couldn’t focus on what propriety dictated – I needed to get to the pod chamber as though my life depended on it.

“I’ll give you the keys on one condition.” Bryce replied, dangling the keys like a carrot in front of me. “Let me come with you.”

I started walking away. I couldn’t take Bryce where I was headed.

“Okay, okay. Here, take them.” Bryce replied, obviously realising that I was going to acquire a car eventually. “Just be careful okay?”

“I will.” I promised, bolting to Bryce’s car and jumping in the driver’s seat. I tried not to spin the wheels in my haste to get going.

Max POV

I looked at my watch. It was getting close to lunchtime and we had been sitting on the couch watching old cartoons for far too long. I don’t think I could here Elmer Fudd say ‘that’s all folks!’ one more time.

“Hungry?” I asked Tess.

“A little.” Tess replied distractedly. She hadn’t really been herself all morning, but I had put that down to recovering from her burn.

“How about I go to the Crashdown and pick us up a couple of burgers.” I suggested casually. And then I could check on Liz. The only person who had been on my mind all morning.

“That’s not necessary. I’m sure we could whip something up in the kitchen.” Tess replied. It seemed I had her attention now.

“It’s no trouble. I won’t be gone long.” I promised, grabbing my keys.

“No!” Tess replied.

I did a double-take. There was a little too much urgency behind that request.

“Why?” I asked, my eyes narrowed.

“I … I just don’t want to be left alone at the moment.” Tess confessed.

My face softened. Of course.

“Okay. We’ll stay here. I think we have some 2-minute noodles in the pantry somewhere.” I replied, hunting around.

Checking on Liz would have to wait. I hadn’t received any calls. But then again, my phone was missing. Well, if she was desperate she would have called the house like she did the other night.

Except the phone battery was flat…

“Weird.” I said under my breath, placing the handset back in the cradle. I was sure I had only charged that the night before.

“What did you say?” Tess asked.

“Oh, I thought we had some noodles in the pantry, but I must have finished them off. Don’t worry, I’ll find something else.” I replied, rummaging through the cupboard, wondering if there was anyway I could get away with calling Liz myself without Tess overhearing. I concluded that it was highly unlikely.

Liz POV

Reaching the pod chamber, I looked around, wondering what it was that had been drawing me here. Nothing had changed since the night Max and I were here last, and any remnant of the glowing symbol on the ground had disappeared.

Now that I had made it to my destination, the adrenaline that had kept me going all morning ran out and I immediately collapsed to the ground. The pain was easing a little, and was almost bearable, but I just felt so tired – it was though my body was fighting against an unseen force.

I let my eyes shut, with the intention that it would be only for a minute, while I considered my next move. Sleep washed over me…

‘Liz?’ A familiar voice asked, prodding me awake.

My eyes fluttered open and focused on the person standing over me.

“M-Max?” I stammered, trying to sit up.

I looked at his warm smiling face – nothing like what I had seen the previous night.

“Oh thank God you’re here.” I gushed, wrapping my arms around his neck. Something in my mind triggered, and I pulled away.

“Zan?” I corrected.

‘Hey Liz. It’s been a long time.’ Zan smiled.

I pulled him into a bear hug, refusing to let go for anything. I then started sobbing on his shoulder.

“Oh Zan… you wouldn’t believe what has been happening…” I cried.

‘I know… That’s kind of why I’m here.’ Zan replied.

“Wh- how dow you know?” I asked, pulling away and wiping my eyes.

‘You told me. In the future.’ Zan explained.

“I don’t understand… I’m not supposed to go to Antar… You said…” I stammered, confused.

‘The future is changing as we speak. The path you are on now – if we get this right – you will go to Antar.’ Zan explained.

“With Max?” I clarified. Maybe it wasn’t over after all.

‘No.’ Zan said sadly. ‘Not with Max.’

“I don’t understand.” I replied.

‘Max doesn’t survive.’ Zan explained.

My vision. It was going to come true! I couldn’t stop myself from audibly gasping.

‘I’m here to change that. We have to be very careful what we do – one false move and the future will change completely. But if we are successful – Max could live for a very long time.’ Zan promised.

“Tell me what to do.” I pleaded. I didn’t care if Max hated me – as long as he was alive, that’s all that mattered.

‘I think it is actually better if someone else explains it to you.’ Zan replied, indicating to somebody in the shadows to step forward. I hadn’t noticed them standing there before now.

‘Liz. Meet your future self.’ Zan introduced me - us.

Max POV

“How are you feeling?” I asked Tess. She seemed to be getting some of her strength back as the day went on, but she still wasn’t herself.

“I’m feeling great.” Tess smiled.

“So are you up to having your birthday dinner?” I asked. “You never did tell me what your plans were.”

“Oh, I decided to keep it small and just have dinner with you here.” Tess explained.

“That may be difficult …” I replied, opening the fridge door and reviewing its contents. “The fridge is bare besides half a carton of milk that has solidified.” I replied, taking a whiff of the milk and screwing up my nose in disgust.

“It’s all taken care of.” Tess replied.

As if on cue, the front door bell rang, and on opening the door I found a chef and waiter standing there with an esky of food and drink for them to prepare and serve.

“Come in I guess?” I said, turning to Tess for an explanation.

“Surprise?” Tess shrugged.

I looked at the contents that the two gentlemen were beginning to spread over the kitchen bench, and I began to get the feeling that this dinner was going to be more formal than our current attire.

“Why don’t you have a relaxing bath before dinner?” I suggested to Tess.

“What are you going to do?” Tess asked nervously.

“I’m not going anywhere, if that’s what you’re asking.” I replied. “I’ll help set the table.”

Tess seemed happy with that answer and took off in the direction of the bathroom. Once I heard the bath water running, I grabbed the phone which now had sufficient charge in the battery, and stood by the front window – the furthest place in the house from the bathroom.

Dialling Liz’s number, it rang and rang before diverting to her message bank. Not leaving a message I tried Liz’s home number, but that was also picked up by the answering machine. I half contemplated stepping out for a few minutes in the hope of catching Liz in the Crashdown, but I knew that it would worry Tess if she found me gone. Something was really bothering her today, and I didn’t want to escalate that by doing something she had begged me not to. Especially on her birthday.

Instead, I changed for dinner, making an effort to dress up for Tess’ birthday dinner. She still wasn’t out of the bathroom by the time I was ready, so I helped set the table that the waiter had already covered with a large candle and flowers. It would have almost have been a very romantic setting if it wasn’t the furthest thing from my mind at that moment.

Tess finally appeared from the bathroom, and did a twirl, showing off a new dress that she had obviously spoilt herself with.

“You look beautiful.” I smiled, taking her hand and leading her to the table.

“You don’t look so bad yourself.” Tess replied smiling. I had to admit, she was looking a lot more like herself now. She had the sparkle back in her eye.

Liz POV

I looked my future self up and down. It was like looking in the mirror, except for the shorter hair and the lines around her eyes. I wondered how much older she was than me. I couldn’t help but see the sadness in her eyes – a lifetime of living without Max.

‘Liz. Hi. I’m here to help you develop your powers. You’re going to need them in the coming conflict.’ Future Liz explained.

“You refer to this conflict, and the fact that Max doesn’t survive it, but when is it going to happen, and with whom?” I asked.

‘Very soon. And with Tess and Nicholas.’ Future Liz replied.

“I thought Nicholas was dead.” I gasped.

‘He’s not that easy to kill.’ My future self replied.

“And he’s here? In Roswell?” I prompted.

‘He’s been here for a while now… You know who I mean.’

Bryce! I think I was going to be sick.

“A-and when you say soon…” I clarified.

‘Tonight it will begin.’ Future Liz replied.

“So soon?” I stammered.

‘That’s why we don’t have much time. We need to get you up to speed so that you and Max can combine your strength to defeat Tess and Nicholas. You’re connection is one of the most powerful things in your world and ours.’ Future Liz explained.

“I disagree.” I shook my head, and unconsciously placing a hand over my heart. “It can be broken very easily.”

‘It’s not broken.’ Future Liz replied. ‘Tess just wants you to think that it is.’

“She can do that?” I asked, dumbfounded that Max and I had really underestimated her skills. “This is a mindwarp?”

‘Yes. Although it requires a lot more energy than she is used to expending for her to be able to keep it up. It’s also why you are so tired, because your body is trying to fight it.’

My anger grew at the thought of being manipulated by Tess in that way. My arms began to flicker until I was unable to control the electricity coursing through my body. I couldn’t handle the sudden power and I let out a growl that turned into a scream at the top of my lungs, causing the walls of the chamber to shake.

Max POV

I pulled out Tess’ chair and indicated for Tess to sit down. I then went to take the seat opposite her when I felt a sudden whoosh of air leave my lungs, leaving me struggling to breathe.

“What’s wrong?” Tess asked concerned as I started doubling over.

“I don’t know.” I replied. Something wasn’t right. I had almost heard a scream echoing through Liz’s connection, but then the connection was gone. It was as though she no longer existed – and I felt as though I was being ripped in two.

No, no, no, no, no!

“I have to go.” I announced.

“Wh- why?” Tess asked. “We just sat down for dinner.”

“I think something is wrong with Isabel. I have a horrible feeling…” I lied. She couldn’t stop me if she thought Isabel needed me, could she?

“It’s not Isabel is it?” Tess replied, indicating that she knew exactly who I was lying for.

“No.” I admitted.

“It’s Liz.” Tess replied.

“Yes. I can’t feel her on the other side of the connection anymore. I need to make sure she’s alright and not …” I couldn’t finish my sentence – it wasn’t conceivable.

“Isn’t that what you wanted?” Tess asked confused. “For the connection to be gone?”

“Y-yes.” I stammered. “But not like this. Not so suddenly as though she’s no longer there at all.”

“How did you think it work exactly? That she would gradually fade away?” Tess asked.

“Something like that.” I replied, although the truth was that I thought it would never be possible to break the connection.

“I’m sure she’s fine. Like you said, now that she and Bryce are together, she’s probably just been able to break the connection.” Tess shrugged, not worried.

“Then why did the connection never break when I was around you? I know you a lot better than Liz knows Bryce.” I asked.

I watched Tess’ reaction and was sorry for my comment. I could see it plainly on her face even though she didn’t want to say the words. It was because I never loved her enough.

“If you are so worried, than why don’t you call her?” Tess seethed.

I didn’t need any other invitation than that. I grabbed the phone and dialled her number.

“Hello?” A male voice answered.

“I’m looking for Liz.” I said, not introducing myself, and having a fair idea who was on the other end of the phone.

“She’s in the shower at the moment.” Bryce replied. “I could get her if you like.”

I shuddered at the level of intimacy that Bryce was suggesting he shared with Liz.

“No. Just tell her Max called.” I seethed, before hanging up the phone.

“Well?” Tess asked.

“She didn’t answer the phone, but it seems she is alright.” I replied.

“So, can we return to our dinner?” Tess requested.

I sat back down at the table, but merely played with my food – I was no longer hungry. What the hell was Liz doing taking a shower with Bryce there? No … surely not… It was impossible.

“So…” Tess began, breaking me from my thoughts of exactly what I would like to do to Bryce if I was ever in a room alone with him.

“So?” I replied, wondering where she was leading.

“If the connection really is broken… then there’s no reason that you and I couldn’t be together.” Tess broached.

I looked up at her and wondered if she could see the blood draining from my face. All of my comments as to how I wish that Liz wasn’t here and that we didn’t have a connection so I could be with Tess was now coming back to bite me on the a-.

“I … I guess not.” I replied, trying to sound somewhat happy at the idea.

Tess reached a hand over the table and placed it on mine, stroking the back of my hand. I involuntarily flinched.

“What’s wrong?” Tess asked.

I stood up from the table and started pacing. I couldn’t do this. Sure it was one thing getting Liz to date Bryce, but they barely knew each other – there was a long way to go to get to any level of intimacy… or so I thought at least. Tess and I already shared everything except that. But it was a step that I couldn’t take.

“Look, Tess, I…” I began. How was I supposed to do this gently and without ruining everything that Liz and I had worked towards?

“You don’t want to be with me.” Tess stated, looking as white as a ghost as though it had never occurred to her. I guess I hadn’t ever given her reason to think that way.

“It’s just sudden, that’s all. I wasn’t expecting this to happen.” I replied.

Tess stood up from the table and walked towards me, cupping my face in her hands.

“This is our chance to be together.” Tess breathed. “There’s no connection to Liz anymore, which means there’s nothing stopping us from finishing what we started all those years ago.”

I took her hands away from my face and held her by the wrists.

“No. There is something stopping us.” I replied. It was the time for honesty.

“You still love her.” Tess said in resignation.

“Yes.” I admitted. “I will always love her.”

“So that’s it then is it.” Tess sighed. “I might as well just pack up and leave.”

“No!” I replied. “You don’t have to go. You and I will always be friends.”

Tess just raised her eyebrow and I saw a flicker of something in her eyes that I didn’t recognise. Hate? Disgust? For the first time in a very long time, I felt I had reason to fear her.
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) CH 53 19/11/08

Post by Oz »

So RL finally caught up with me and demanded to know what I had been doing with all my time... RL has just ducked out for the moment so I have time to post!!!

Thanks for all the FB as usual. Enjoy!

Max POV

“You can leave now.” Tess turned to the chef and waiter who were standing by watching the show. When they didn’t move, she let fly - “Now!”

Not needing to be told again, they quickly grabbed what they could and hightailed it out of the apartment.

“I’m sorry that I can’t return your feelings.” I began, once they had safely left, trying to deflect her anger.

“Yeah, I can see you’re all cut up about it.” Tess sneered. “Why don’t you go and check on your precious Liz? Just don’t expect me to be here when you get back.”

“Do you realise what will happen if you leave?” I asked. “You complete the four-square. If we are ever going to defeat Kivar, then we need to remain as a complete unit.”

“So I’m supposed to just stand by and watch you and Liz ooze over each other with your eternal bliss? I can’t do that.” Tess replied.

“So you don’t care what it could cost us? Me, Isabel, Michael?” I asked dumbfounded. I had always held out hope that Tess could be selfless once she found out the truth. She was supposed to be my friend.

“Of course I care, but I just can’t do it. I love you Max, I always have, but it’s insanely obvious that you don’t feel the same way. And you want me to make more sacrifices for you? I’ve been by your side for all these years, happy just to be there for you when you needed a shoulder to cry on – knowing that if things could have been different, if you didn’t have a connection with Liz, that you would have wanted to be with me…”

I felt a justified amount of guilt over the way I had strung her along all those years. But in my defence, while Liz was gone, while I was angry at her, I had always wished that Tess and I could have been more than we were. Whether that was just the loneliness and the broken heart talking, I guess we’ll never know.

“…But now that Liz is back you just want me to step aside and let you tread all over what’s left of my happiness? What do I get in return for giving up what I want for you?” Tess asked.

“You get to be my friend, like you have always been. You get to see the four of us return to Antar and save our people from Kivar. You get to see Michael, Isabel and myself live.” I replied. That had to be enough because I couldn’t offer anything more.

Tess just smiled sadly.

“Goodbye Max.” Tess murmured.

“What do you want me to do? Do you want me to tell you that I will never see Liz again?” I asked, exasperated. “Would that make you happy?”

“It would be a start.” Tess replied. “I don’t know what you see in here anyway? She left you for all those years, broke your heart, and you want to take her back with open arms?”

“She had her reasons.” I replied.

“You’re weak.” Tess sneered.

“I’m beginning to see a side of you that I never knew existed.” I observed. “I defended you to everyone – Michael, Isabel, even Liz. I was the only one who thought you could be trusted. I was the only one who thought you were worth knowing – worth being friends with. You were my best friend. But now… I wonder exactly how long you’ve been taking me for a ride…”

“You don’t know the half of it.” I thought I heard her murmur under her breath.

“What?” I asked.

“Nothing. Just go. I want to be alone.” Tess ordered.

I debated whether I should leave her here, not knowing wether it would be the last time that I would see her. I couldn’t say at that moment whether I cared at all. All I wanted to do was find Liz and make sure she was really okay.

I grabbed my keys and was about to storm out of the apartment.

“Max! Wait!” Tess called out, taking a step towards me.

I watched the intense concentration on her face, and the sweat form on her brow. I felt something twinge in my mind, like a gentle tugging, telling me to forget that the conversation ever happened.

Tess’ stance faltered and she seemed to lose her balance.

“What the hell was that?” I demanded. “Were you trying to mindwarp me?”

As Tess collapsed to the ground, I felt the connection with Liz come back with a vengeance – even stronger than before. I could feel exactly what she was feeling, despite the fact that she was nowhere around. I could feel her pain and suffering, but also that she wasn’t in any immediate danger.

“It was all a mindwarp?!” I cried. “You made me think Liz had broken our connection!” That was the only explanation. Tess was too exhausted to keep it up any longer. She was momentarily zapped of her powers.

Tess was in a heap on the floor from exhaustion. I could now see the truth.

“Today, you’ve been so tired... you’ve been using your powers all day. Tell me – what have you done!” I screamed.

Tess didn’t say anything but turned her face away in defiance.

“TELL ME!!” I shook her.

“You’re hurting me.” Tess whimpered, and I could already see the bruises forming under my hand.

I let her go, but my anger didn’t fade.

“Liz…” I guessed the object of Tess’ attention.

Tess just smirked.

“Do you really hate me that much?” I asked, unable to believe that Tess would knowingly inflict harm on the woman I loved.

“I just don’t like being played with.” Tess replied. “Did you really think I didn’t know about your relationship? The two of you running around behind my back?”

“You should have said something.” I replied. I would have felt guilty if I didn’t hate her so much at that moment.

“And spoil all my fun?” Tess replied with a crooked grin.

“If you know what’s good for you, you will leave town and never come back.” I growled.

“Or what? You’ll kill me?” Tess scoffed. “You need me remember.”

“Maybe, but I’d rather take my chances than keep you in my life.” I replied, heading for the door. “Enjoy being alone Tess.”

“Who says I’ll be alone?” Tess snickered.

I wasn’t sure what she meant, but I didn’t want to waste any more time on her.

“Make sure you’re not here when I get back.” I said, slamming the door behind me on the way out.

Liz POV

“So what do we need to do exactly?” I asked.

‘I’m going to place my hands on your temples, and I need you to look into my eyes.’ Future Liz explained.

“I think I’ve done this before…” I smiled. My future self smiled back.

‘I’m going to transfer everything I’ve learned about my, I mean our, powers to you.’ Future Liz said, placing her hands on my temples. ‘Just relax…’

I did, and I immediately saw a flickering of images as though they were being played at high speed. Opening my eyes, I felt an amazing amount of strength and understanding of what I was capable of. Not just my ability to use the electrical currents as a stronger weapon, but I could also call for visions of the future on demand, rather than waiting for the visions to come to me. I could see my future laid out before me as it stood at that very moment. And it was not good - Max wasn’t there.

The remainder of what I saw was Future Liz’s pain at having to live without Max for so many years. I shuddered at the thought. I wasn’t sure I could be so strong under the circumstances, but I guess she was proof that I was.

“So I can see absolutely everything that will happen in the future?” I clarified.

‘The future isn’t set in stone. What you can see is what the future will be based on the choices being made in the present.’ Future Liz explained. ‘If a different path is taken, if a different choice is made, the future you have seen will no longer exist and a new future will be created.’

“So that is why you are here now? Because based on today’s outcome, I return to Antar and Max dies?” I clarified.

Future Liz nodded sadly.

“And that’s why Zan came to me all those years ago – because based on my path at that time, I would not have survived the return to Antar.” I continued.

‘Did I?’ Zan asked. Of course he wouldn’t have known – that Zan had been from a different future. Man, this was confusing.

“Then what has changed on Antar to make it possible now?” I asked, voicing part of my confusion.

‘I don’t know.’ Future Liz replied. ‘We have no idea what happened in the other future.’

“Tess left Roswell and I wasn’t accepted as Max’s Queen by the Antarian people.” I gave the cliffnote version.

‘Then maybe Tess is the key.’ Future Liz hypothesised. ‘In our future she died before returning to Antar.’

“How?” I asked.

‘I – you – kill her tonight.’ Future Liz grinned devilishly.

Max POV

I climbed through Liz’s bedroom window but there was no sign of her in there, or in the bathroom. Searching through the apartment, I found the rest of it equally empty. Quickly running down the stairs, I almost knocked Maria over as she was coming into the back room from the restaurant, carrying a load of dishes.

“What are you doing here?” I asked her, referring to the apron she was also wearing. It had been years since I had seen her in the Crashdown uniform.

“The Crashdown was short-staffed today so I had to pitch in – not that you’d care.” Maria bit.

The colour drained from my face – what had Tess done?

“What do you mean? Where’s Liz?” I demanded.

“I don’t know, okay? After your little display, she took off. Michael tried to stop her but she was lighting up like the fourth of July.” Maria replied. “How did you expect her to react? You broke her heart.”

“Whatever she saw, it wasn’t real. It was Tess – she mindwarped me, Liz and I don’t know who else.” I despaired.

“So that wasn’t really you this morning at your house? Telling Michael and I that it was over between you and Liz.” Maria hesitated.

“I was there all morning, but I don’t remember seeing you or Michael.”

“Well, thank goodness for that…” Maria replied. “You and I were about to have serious words about that girlfriend.”

“So you don’t have any idea where Liz is?” I asked, now feeling a lot more apprehensive about her safety.

“No.” Maria shook her head. “Sorry.”

At that moment Bryce walked into the back room. Taking one look at me he started to back out again.

“Oh no you don’t.” I retorted, grabbing him by the shirt and dragging him into the back room where I proceeded to haul him up against the wall – reminiscent of my recent encounter with Liz’s dad.

“Where is she?” I demanded, remembering Bryce’s explanation when I had dialled her phone earlier.

“I don’t know.” Bryce replied. “I swear.”

“So you weren’t with her while she was showering then?” I raised my eyebrow.

“No. I swear. I was just messing with you.” Bryce stammered.

“How did you get her phone?” I asked, my eyes narrowed. There was something weaselly about this guy.

“She dropped it when I stopped her from being hit by a car when crossing the street.” Bryce explained, obviously hoping that his heroic act would lessen my hostility.

It worked. I almost stopped breathing at the thought of how lucky we were that Liz was still here.

“You can thank me for that by the way.” Bryce smiled wryly.

“Where did she go then?” I demanded – not wanting to thank any body until I was sure that she was alright.

“She took off. I don’t know where.” Bryce shrugged.

“In which direction?” I persisted.

“North.”

“On foot or in a vehicle.” I pushed.

“In a car.” Bryce sighed.

“Whose?” My eyes narrowed.

“Mine. She seemed desperate.” Bryce answered.

“And she didn’t say where she was going?” I clarified.

“No, but wherever she went she was in an awful hurry.” Bryce observed.

I thought for a few moments. There had to be some way of tracking her down…

“This car of yours…” I addressed Bryce. “Any chance it has a GPS tracking device?”

Bryce didn’t say anything but pulled out his cellphone and began to dial a number.

“Hi. My cars been stolen. I need the location…”

I waited as Bryce got the details and hung up the phone.

“Where is she?” I asked desperately.

“I’ll take you there.” Bryce replied.

“Tell me where she is!” I demanded.

“No. I’m worried about her to. I’m coming with you.” Bryce insisted.

I considered how long it would take me to get the information out of him, and decided it was quicker just to give in and bring him too.

“Fine. Let’s go.”

Liz POV

‘So I think you’re ready now.’ Future Liz finished.

“You can’t stay?” I begged, knowing how valuable their presence would be in the coming conflict. I had seen exactly how it would be played out, including the moment that Max is killed. My focus was on doing everything possible to prevent that from happening.

‘Liz. We’re not really here. Open your eyes…’ Zan replied, as the vision began to fade away.

My eyes flickered open to reveal that I was still lying on the floor of the pod chamber, where I had fallen asleep.

I looked at my watch. It was almost eight o’clock and would be getting dark outside. According to Future Liz, that meant the conflict was imminent.

I shuddered at the thought that if things didn’t go as planned – if Future Liz’s confidence in me was misplaced, then I could lose Max tonight.

Max POV

“There’s my car.” Bryce pointed, as we took off from the highway and up a familiar stretch of dirt.

I pulled the jeep up next to it, and climbed out.

“Stay here.” I ordered Bryce before he could climb out of the car himself.

“No way.” Bryce argued.

“Okay, well, how about you check around the base of the rock, and I’ll climb to the top. We’ll find her faster if we split up.” I ordered, needing to keep him away from the pod chamber.

“Yes, sir.” Bryce saluted at the order, and headed off to the base of the cliff. I immediately took off up the track to the pod chamber, and when I was sure that Bryce wasn’t looking, I placed my hand on the rock to activate the opening, and disappeared inside.

It took a few moments for my eyes to adjust to the light, and when they did, I was greeted by the sight of Liz standing before me.

“Oh, Liz. I’ve been so worried.” I gushed, running over to her and throwing my arms around her.

“Max, wait, you have to listen to me. We don’t have much time.” Liz said seriously, placing her hands on my arms and forcing me to look at her. “I need you to promise me that whatever happens tonight, you’ll do whatever I ask – no questions asked.”

“Of course.” Max nodded, now concerned. “What’s going on?”

“A battle to the death.” Liz replied gravely.

“With who?” I asked, before I spun around at the sound of the pod chamber opening slid open.

“Bryce!?” I said, confused as to how Bryce would have been able to activate the opening.

Liz took one look at Bryce and stepped in front of me defensively as if to shield me.

“Nicholas.” Liz sneered, shooting a ball of green electric current at him, narrowly missing him, but causing a rain of rocks from the cave ceiling to come crashing down.
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) CH 54 26/11/08

Post by Oz »

This part was way too much fun to write... :twisted: What does that say about me? :twisted: :twisted: (I think I have an inner devil trying to get out...)

Oh, and thanks for all the fantastic feedback on the last few parts - it's awesome!!

Max POV

“Max. Run. Now!” Liz ordered, grabbing me by the jacket and hauling me back towards the back of the chamber – where the Granolith used to be. From where I stood I could see a glimmer of sunlight – an opening that must have been created when the Granolith shook the chamber on its exit.

“No.” I refused, standing my ground. “You have to tell me what is going on.”

“We don’t have much time. I have only slowed him down long enough to give you a chance to escape.” Liz replied, still pulling me away from the pile of rock that now covered both Bryce, no, Nicholas and the chamber entrance.

“Okay – let’s go.” I agreed, taking Liz by the hand.

“No. I have to stay and take care of this.” Liz replied.

“I’m not leaving you here alone.” I replied incredulously. “If Bryce is Nicholas, then he is far stronger than you or me.”

“Trust me. I know what I’m doing.” Liz pleaded – her eyes darting over to where the pile of rocks began to shift. “Remember you promised me that you would do whatever I asked.”

“I didn’t realise that would include leaving you to face our enemies alone.” I replied, crossing my arms defiantly.

I saw Liz hesitate for a moment as though she was trying to analyse the consequences of my answer.

“Okay. Fine. There’s another way.” Liz replied, taking a few steps closer to the chamber entrance, where Nicholas was already making his way out from underneath the rocks. Liz raised her arm ready to fire, and I got ready to put up my shield if necessary.

“So I guess the cat’s out of the bag.” Was the first words to come out of Nicholas’ mouth when he was back on his feet, brushing of the dirt. “I can’t say I’m not disappointed. I thought this was going to be a bit more fun.”

“Sorry.” Liz quipped, making it obvious that she wasn’t sorry at all.

“What was it that gave me away? My wit and charm? Or was it my impeccable good looks – unable to be concealed under this human exterior?” He replied, cringing over the word ‘human’.

“Does it matter?” Liz asked. “Either way, you’re not going to make it out of here alive.”

Even I was surprised by Liz’s confidence. I wasn’t sure what had happened since I had seen her the night before, but this was a side of Liz that I hadn’t seen for a long time. I can’t say that I didn’t like it. An image of her seated next to me on a throne flashed through my mind. She looked like someone with years of experience of being a leader of a nation – a real Queen.

“And here I was thinking the same thing about the two of you.” Nicholas smirked. “Which is a damn shame because I really thought you and I had something Liz.”

“Dream on.” Liz scoffed.

“You can’t tell me that you didn’t feel something when we kissed.”

Wait - kissed? I darted a look at Liz. She didn’t even blink.

“I did feel something…” Liz acknowledged.

Nicholas smirked smugly, and I had to restrain myself from doing something to wipe that smile off his face.

“… violently ill.” Liz finished.

Nicholas’ smirk faltered for a moment – his smirk replaced by mine.

“I would have won you over eventually – with a little more time.” Nicholas replied hotly, as though he was frustrated that things had gone the way they had. He had obviously had another plan, and I wondered what had gone wrong to bring everything to a head.

“I doubt that.” Liz replied with obvious distaste in her mouth.

“You say that now, but believe me, you were digging me as ‘Bryce’.” Nicholas smirked. “Anyway, thanks to Tess, we’ll never know.”

Tess. Of course. It wasn’t surprising that she had her finger in this somehow. And she had screwed up…

As though summoned, Tess suddenly appeared at the chamber entrance.

“Speak of the devil.” Nicholas muttered when he saw Tess approach.

“Wait – Tess mindwarped me without your permission, didn’t she?” Liz hypothesised – reaching the same conclusion I had. From the look on Nicholas’ face I could tell that she had guess right. “How does it feel that you can’t even control your subordinates?”

Tess visibly flinched at Liz’s use of the word ‘subordinate’ – obviously hitting a nerve.

“She’s been appropriately punished.” Nicholas replied, and I watched as Tess immediately rubbed her arm that was previously red raw from a burn. Now that I thought about it – the burn had looked awfully like the shape of a hand. I can’t believe I bought the lies she was spinning.

“Like I said to Tess, I know I’m good, but even a complete simpleton would know that just one date with me could have made you forget this unexplainable bond the two of you seem to share.” Nicholas admitted. “But no, she had to go and mindwarp you into thinking Max was that fickle in his love for you. Apparently she was expecting you to take it lying down.”

I saw Liz glance over at Tess and her eyes narrowed – the green energy flickering up her arm as her anger rose.

“No matter – it just brought the timeline forward a bit.” Nicholas shrugged. “I am a little disappointed as I was enjoying the anticipation of being able to destroy the two of you. It’s like skipping foreplay…”

I instinctively stepped in front of Liz to shield her for an impending attack from Nicholas, but Liz held me back.

“Well, I’m glad too. I was getting sick of having to run around behind Tess’ back.” Liz smiled, turning to Tess. “How does it feel Tess? To know that you will never have him? That you never did?”

Tess pulled her shoulders back and raised her chin high, but didn’t say a word.

“Why did you do that by the way?” Nicholas asked. “Why go to so much effort to spare Tess’ feelings?”

“We were under the misguided notion that Tess was necessary to complete the four-square.” Liz replied. “Turns out that’s not entirely true.”

“How so?” Nicholas asked, confused.

“Because the rules changed when Max healed me.” Liz smirked, raising her hand and firing a shot in Tess’ direction.

“Bitch!” Tess cried, grabbing her other wrist where Liz’ shot had grazed her arm – leaving a nasty burn.

“Payback is, isn’t it?” Liz smirked.

It was only then that I could see that something much more dramatic had changed in Liz. Not only was she exuding confidence, but she was also making deliberate attempts to bring harm to others. This wasn’t self defence – it was almost like sport. I didn’t know what Tess had done to Liz in the last 24 hours, but the only way I could justify Liz’ behaviour was to assume that it was extremely bad for Liz to deliberately hurt another person without physical provocation.

“I’m going to take pleasure in killing you.” Tess hissed at Liz, and I could see more clearly why Liz had taken the first shot – she wasn’t going to give Tess the opportunity to do so.

“Just try…” Liz dared her.

“Girls, girls, girls.” Nicholas interrupted. “There will be plenty of time for that later. Tess, stand down.”

Tess obediently took a couple of steps backward and bowed her head in submission.

“So tell me Max…” Nicholas asked, finally addressing me. “How does it feel to stand by like a pussy-whipped puppy while your girlfriend does all the work?”

My eyes narrowed at Nicholas for a moment, and then I decided there was nothing to be annoyed about. Liz had everything in control and I completely trusted her.

“I’m going to look forward to seeing Liz put you down.” I smiled, giving Liz a wink.

“I like your confidence Max. Too bad you always put your confidence in the wrong people…” Nicholas taunted, indicating to Tess.

That was true – I’d give him that. But I had the upmost confidence in Liz at this moment, as though I could feel her power and energy through our connection.

“We’ll see about that.” I replied.

Liz POV

I had all current possibilities assessed in my mind. The minute Nicholas or Tess decided to do something, I was already one step ahead of them. I caught Tess contemplating mindwarping Max and myself again, and one shot to the arm made her lose her focus and change tactics. My new powers were less than an hour old, but I already felt like a pro. If Nicholas and Tess were going to try and bring us down, then they had their work cut out for them.

I glanced over at Max. He was looking markedly more relaxed. I think he was beginning to sense that I was now more powerful than he had imagined. Either that, or he was doing a great job at not showing his fear. He was going to hold his ground and follow my lead – perfect.

I could sense Nicholas’ patience starting to wane and I knew that the time was coming to bring everything to a head.

“What are you waiting for?” I asked Nicholas, sensing his indecision.

Nicholas looked taken aback for a moment, and then a smile formed on his face. It was a smile that would previously have sent shivers down my spine, but not anymore. He wasn’t so scary now that he wasn’t the one in control of the situation – I was.

“Tess.” Nicholas ordered an unspoken command to Tess. He was going to try the mindwarping trick again.

I immediately shot another electricity ball in Tess’ direction, this time sending her flying backwards, and crashing against the wall of the pod chamber. She slid to the ground and her eyes rolled backwards – unconscious. I turned my attention to Nicholas, knowing that I would be aware of the exact second that Tess came to.

“Next.” I prompted Nicholas, my hand already aimed and ready. Max was edging closer to me, ready to use his shield if necessary.

In a microsecond, I knew that Nicholas’ plan was to run – attempting to even the playing field by going out into the open. Shooting an energy ball towards the chamber entrance, this time the crumbling ceiling completely covered the chamber entrance, leaving the rest of us in a cloud of dust.

Nicholas raised his hand towards me, although backing away slightly on his feet. I could sense his hesitation.

“Let’s dance.” I smiled, raising my hand towards him and taking the first shot –skimming his left shoulder.

“Bring it on.” Nicholas replied, trying to ignore the burning sensation on his shoulder.

The second he sent the blast in my direction, I was already sidestepping out of the way, and firing another in his direction – hitting him in the leg. With a limp he fired again. The dance continued. I always darted out of the way before impact, and my shots always found another place on his body that were still yet untouched.

Max’s initial reaction was to shield me from whatever blasts came my way – but he could soon see that it wasn’t necessary – I was always long gone from the firing line before any of them impacted. Soon, he lowered his arm and watched the show, although always within reach if necessary.

Blast after blast, Nicholas took the hits, and was starting to crumble under his injuries. When I shot another blast at his legs, he fell to his knees.

“Stop – please, stop.” Nicholas begged. It was a sight I hadn’t seen before – and probably never would again.

“You surrender?” I asked, stepping towards him, enjoying being able to look down on him.

“Yes – yes!” Nicholas replied.

I hesitated for a moment – wondering if I should believe him.

The answer was no.

Placing my hand on his head – reminiscent of what he had done to Max all those years before, I concentrated on sending energy through my hand and into his brain.

“Arrrggghhhh!!!!” He began to scream as the electric shocks went through his body.

“Liz. Liz! Stop!” Max was shaking me, but I couldn’t stop – I wanted him dead.

Not for what he had done to Max and not for trying to kill me now. But for what I had seen of the future – Maria, Michael, Isabel, Zan, Max and I … all dead at his hand. Tess by his side as Queen and our people in perpetual slavery. Kivar may be the one ruling now – but that only lasted as long as Nicholas was on Earth. The moment he had succeeded in ending the royal blood line, he would return to Antar and overthrow his own master. All I had to do was take my opportunity to kill him, and it would all end.

Then something changed. I had been too caught up in what I had to do that I hadn’t seen it coming. My hand dropped away from Nicholas while he was still able to breathe, and I took a step backwards. I watched as Nicholas’ hand rose, and this time I didn’t duck or step out of the way. I stood still as the blast came towards me, and waited patiently for the impact – unwilling to move.

“Liz!” Max screamed now, taking two massive strides towards me and throwing himself in front of the blast – taking the impact.

“M-Max?” I said shaking myself out of a daze and seeing Max on the floor by my feet – his chest still smouldering from where Nicholas’ shot had hit him squarely. “MAX!”

Nicholas scrambled to his feet while I checked Max’s pulse – it was barely there.

“Well that turned out even better than I could have hoped.” Nicholas sneered. “I didn’t kill Max. You did.”
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) CH 55 9/12/08

Post by Oz »

Short-ish update, but it seemed an appropriate place to end.

Sorry to keep you all in suspense!

Liz POV

“I didn’t.” I replied vehemently, rising to my feet. It had been Nicholas’ blast that had hit Max – I saw it. I could still see it playing over an over while my mind tried to comprehend how my world could change so dramatically in just three little seconds.

“Oh, but you did.” Nicholas smiled. “I think your little display here today proved that you could have easily stepped out of the way of my shot. It would have been a piece of cake for you – particularly in my unfortunate, uh, predicament. But no – you just stood there like someone defeated and waited to die. You gave Max no choice but to risk his life because you weren’t willing to do it yourself.”

“No.” I shook my head vigorously, but Nicholas’ words cut deeply. I hadn’t moved. Why hadn’t I moved?

It was only then that I saw something in my peripheral that made everything make sense.

Tess.

I had been so caught up in trying to kill Nicholas – had focused all my attention and anger on him, that I hadn’t seen it coming. Tess had regained consciousness and used her powers to control my mind. It was more than mindwarping – she had made me do something against my will. It seemed that we had always underestimated Tess’ abilities.

Now she was white as a ghost and shaking like a leaf.

“Is… is he okay?” She asked, not daring to come any closer to see the damage she had done.

I stared at her incredulously – after what she had done she now cared about what happened to Max.

“Is he dead?” She asked more forcefully – the tears welling in her eyes.

“Yes.” I replied through clenched teeth – unable to say anymore to the woman I held responsible.

But it wasn’t entirely her fault – or Nicholas’. I had been cocky and I had proved that I wasn’t infallible. Because I hadn’t been careful enough to ensure Max was out of danger – even though I had seen the consequences. I guess some futures you couldn’t change no matter how hard you tried.

But I still had time.

"No..." Tess breathed, taking a hesitant couple of steps towards Max, the tears now streaming down her face.

“I didn’t mean to. I didn’t want for him to get hurt. You have to believe me.” She muttered, taking another step closer.

“DON’T you dare touch him!” I cried, causing Tess to take a hurried couple of steps back.

I looked from Tess and to Nicholas, who was standing back a little perplexed by Tess’ reaction to Max’s death. I wondered if he really knew the depth of Tess’ feelings or whether she had led him to believe that she was just using Max to get back to Antar. I wondered so many things about how Tess got into this alliance, but I didn’t have time to voice my questions.

But in just three seconds, all the answers that I wanted streamed to me – answering every question I had that I would have asked if I had time on my side. She had loved Max with all her heart, but knew that he would never have returned her love. When he had given up the opportunity to return to Antar with Lonnie and Rath, she had realised that if she ever wanted to return to Antar to rule, she would have to find someone else that would assist her. In comes Nicholas. She tracked him down after the debacle in the school – knowing that her fireball was merely an illusion, a mindwarp, and could not have killed Nicholas despite how it had seemed.

So she and Nicholas teamed up – scheming of ways to return to Antar, with or without the Royal Four. When I returned to Roswell, and she overheard Max on the telephone to me one night, she knew that her loose grasp on Max was about to disappear, so she had the bright idea of getting Nicholas to ‘woo’ me, in the hope of keeping Max and I apart. She got cocky, and underestimated our relationship, or our connection, or both. And the rest is history.

I processed all of this in a matter of seconds, and the rage that I felt at her betrayal of Max was unleashed. She was willing to kill him if necessary for her to return to Antar. She would rather betray him than see him with me. And now she had.

And Nicholas… He was currently plotting the best way to dispose of me in the best possible way. And when I say ‘best’, I don’t mean for me.

But I wasn’t going give him the opportunity – either of them. Raising my arms in the air, I sent two blasts squarely towards both Tess and Nicholas without a second of warning – leaving no chance of being caught unaware again. They didn’t see it coming.

I watched as both of their bodies were slammed against the chamber wall with so much force that they broke through the rock, letting sunlight stream inside. I heard the popping sound of breaking bones against rock, and then silence. And I knew that they were dead – or at least very soon would be. They no longer had a future that I could see.

Immediately dropping to my knees, I placed my palms on Max’s face and whispered to him.

“Max. Wake up. You have to wake up.” I cried.

There was the slightest murmur of a movement under his eyelids.

“Max. Please. Remember what you promised me… you would do whatever I asked. Well, I’m asking you now – please open your eyes.” I pleaded.

It felt like an eternity, but Max’s eyelids flickered open and his beautiful eyes were staring up at me.

“That’s it.” I said, stroking his head. “Now don’t close your eyes – don’t you dare look away – just concentrate right here.” I prompted – indicating to my eyes.

“I … love …y-you.” Max stammered, barely above a whisper. “I need you to know how much before…”

“You are not saying goodbye to me Max Evans.” I ordered – knowing exactly what he was trying to do. “You have a lot of life ahead of you. Believe me, I know.”

“It hurts…” Max replied defeated.

“I know. But I’m going to fix this. I’m going to make this right. Just look into my eyes…”

Max stared up at me as though he was looking at me for the last time. I tried to concentrate on what I had to do rather than trying to allay his fears – we didn’t have any more time.

I picked up Max’s hand and placed it over the burn, trying to ignore the obvious shooting pain that it was inflicting.

“Keep looking at me.” I ordered, knowing that all he wanted to do was close his eyes in the hope that the blackness would overtake his pain.

Using the connection between us, albeit weakened by Max’s loss of strength, I focused on Max’s healing abilities that I could control through our connection. I concentrated on fusing the fibres of burnt tissue back together and restoring the blood and water to his skin and muscles.

For the first time I really understood what it must have been like for Max to heal me all of those years ago. Having to focus on the blood, muscle and sinew – enveloping himself with every cell and micron that made up my body. Hoping that nothing was overlooked and everything would function as it should when he was done.

And the fatigue… It took so much energy and so much concentration, that I felt like I was going to pass out before I could finish. I willed myself to keep going, just a few more seconds…

“Liz?” Max’s beautiful voice interrupted my concentration.

As I focused my attention back to his face, I noticed the colour had returned to it, and the smell of burnt flesh had diminished.

“How did you…?” Max asked confused, attempting to sit up and look over my handiwork.

“I didn’t. It was all you. I was just the facilitator.” I replied. And because I thought he needed more explanation, I added, “Together we are a complete unit – we can combine our strengths.”

“How did you know how to do that?” Max asked completely bewildered. “In fact, how did you do any of what you did tonight?”

“It’s a long story.” I replied, helping Max to his feet.

“But you will tell me?” Max prodded.

“Of course. Once I get you home.” I promised.

“And Tess and Nicholas?” Max asked.

“Dust.” A voice said from the door of the chamber. It was Maria, Michael and Isabel. “We were just driving up when we saw them being blasted out of the side of the cliff face. We saw them land on the ground below, but when we got there all that was left was two life-size piles of ash.”

Max looked at me with an eyebrow raised.

“Yes, I’ll explain that later too. C’mon, let’s get out of here.” I prodded, guiding Max to the door, refusing to let Michael take Max’s weight from me. I knew Max and I would make it to the car on our own. In fact, I knew that Max and I were going to make it far.
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) AN 26/12/08

Post by Oz »

Hi! Sorry for my long hiatus - too many excuses I could list, but mainly wanted to make sure that I covered everything I needed to in this handy question and answer session (and in the end decided I didn't have time to re-read my own story to make sure I had dotted all the I's, so I cut the explanations short and moved on).

Short part but didn't want to leave you waiting any longer...

Liz POV

I looked nervously at the group standing before me. Okay, they were sitting, I was standing. Actually, I wasn’t standing either – I was pacing.

“Are you going to tell us what’s going on?” Michael interrupted the anxious silence.

I stopped pacing and faced each person in turn.

Michael. He was going to react in his usual way – mildly complain that he hadn’t been there to help with the fight, be completely blasé about my new-found powers, and kick us out of his house so he could watch the basketball game that he was currently missing. The game that the Lakers would win by the way.

Maria. She would be more concerned about me and how it was going to affect my life. Oh, and use me as her own personal psychic. Great.

Isabel. Well, she would take it really well. Offering support and friendship and a listening ear if I ever needed it. We would become much closer than we ever had before. Just like sisters. I couldn’t help but smile at the thought.

Max. Oh Max… This was going to be hard for him, but I could see no other way to explain it to him that would make him see it any other way than the end of my human life as we knew it. There was nothing I could say until he was ready to hear it.

“I’m not sure where to start, or how much each of you already knows, so I’ll start from the beginning… For a while now, I’ve been receiving visions.”

“Visions of what?” Isabel asked.

“Visions of the future.” I explained, then hastened to explain before I wasn’t interrupted with a barrage of questions, “Sometimes they come to me in dreams, and other times they come to me while I’m awake – like a momentary glimpse of what is going to happen to someone that I have just come in contact with, such as a customer. In most cases, however the vision comes, it will show something bad that is going to happen – but also usually something that is preventable.”

“Like what?” Isabel prodded.

“Muggings, assaults, car accidents, rapes, convenience store hold-ups…”

“That’s why you were at the convenience store that night?” Isabel clarified. “Because of a vision?”

“I saw the store owner get shot dead – I couldn’t not do anything.” I pointed out.

“You could have been killed.” Isabel replied horrified, glancing a look at Max.

“But I wasn’t.” I counter-argued, also glancing at Max and seeing a look pass between them as if to say that he knew that I had been putting myself at risk but that he hadn’t found a way to stop me … yet.

“When did these visions start?” Isabel asked, placing the conversation back on track.

“I had my first vision when I returned to Roswell to help with the Skins.” I answered.

“What did you see? Did you see what Nicholas would do to Max at the school?” Isabel asked.

“That was part of it…” I replied, blushing and avoiding all eye contact with Max – wishing that the image had not reared its ugly head at that moment. I couldn’t help but sigh when I knew exactly what Isabel’s next question would be.

“What else did you see?” Isabel pushed.

“I saw Max and Tess … uh … kissing.” I replied, playing down exactly how much more than kissing it had appeared at the time.

Max’s head shot up at that moment, and I meant only to glance at him for a moment, but I couldn’t look away.

“That night I confronted you about seeing you in bed with Zan…” Max began. “You said something to me that I didn’t understand … until now.”

I nodded.

“You were talking about Tess and I was telling you that she didn’t mean anything to me… And you replied ‘come back and say that to me in 24 hours and we’ll see if you mean it’.” Max continued.

I nodded again.

“You knew that I would go to Tess.” Max stated.

“I hoped you wouldn’t. I hoped that it was just a nightmare – nothing more. I was wrong.” I replied.

“And that’s why you came to Tess’ bedroom window that night. To see if it came true.” Max concluded.

“Yes.” I replied. “I had already seen what happened in the school with the Skins come true, but I just couldn’t believe that you and Tess …” I couldn’t finished. Despite the fact that the skank was dead – I didn’t want to think of Max being with her.

“So you had a dream that Tess was evil? And that she was involved with Nicholas? That’s how you wound up at the pod chamber?” Isabel asked, sensing that we needed to get the topic back on track before we headed down unfamiliar territory. I was glad of the respite.

“Why didn’t you tell us to meet you there? I would have enjoyed blasting that gerbil to kingdom-come.” Michael’s face betrayed all the ways he was imagining Tess’ final moments.

“I had a vision from Bryce that there was something not right about him but nothing concrete. But I didn’t get anything from Tess – well, nothing that my obvious dislike of her couldn’t be explained away by her being with Max.” I replied, answering Isabel and trying to ignore the satisfied smirk that had settled over Michael’s features. “It wasn’t until tonight in the pod chamber where I had a visit from Zan and my future self that I came to know the truth.”

Max’s head whipped around at lightening speed. I guess he wasn’t expecting that.

“They told me what Nicholas and Tess were planning, and gave me a lifetime of knowledge needed to boost my powers and defeat them.”

“When you say boost your powers…” Maria clarified.

“Increased strength, speed and control over my energy to hone my ability to use it as a weapon against our enemies. Also, the ability to see everything that will happen in the future, without waiting for a vision or dream to come to me.”

“Wait, everything?” Maria gasped.

“Yes.” I replied.

“Tonight, you were dodging Nicholas’ blasts before he even released them…” Max observed.

“I knew where he was going to aim the moment he thought it.” I smiled. “Handy gift to have in combat.”

“Great, so you know exactly what’s going to happen in the future and we can sit back and wait?” Michael piped in for the first time, taking a seat on the couch and grabbing the remote.

“It doesn’t work that way.” I replied. “What I see is subjective, based only on what decisions have been made at the time by all those involved. Once someone chooses a different path, that future ceases to exist and another unfolds.”

“So your power is pretty useless then.” Michael shrugged, flipping through the channels while dodging a slap over the head by Maria.

“I guess it depends on the circumstances.” I shrugged. “For instance, I could tell you that the Lakers are going to win by 2 points in the final seconds of the game. It may come true, or it may not – but is the game still going to be as interesting for you with the knowledge of what the ending will be based on current circumstances?”

“Guess not.” Michael replied, switching off the TV.

“So how did Zan and your future self visit you?” Max asked hesitantly.

“I’m not sure exactly. It was like a dream that felt so real.” I replied.

“So they didn’t come in person?” Max clarified, and I could hear the relief in his voice. I guess he was still holding onto some jealousy regarding my former relationship with Zan.

“No.” I smiled, to relieve his concerns.

“You said that what you see in the future is subjective, so how do you know that Zan and yourself from the future were giving you the right information. The future could have been completely different between now and then.” Maria asked.

“The future has already changed. In their reality Max died tonight in the pod chamber.” I explained, looking at Max.

“That is why you wanted me to leave. You were trying to save me.” Max observed.

“Yes. But you were stubborn and I almost lost you.” I pointed out.

“But you didn’t. I’m still here because of you. Thank you.” Max smiled.

“So now what? That Zan and Liz of the future no longer exist?” Isabel asked.

“I guess so.” I replied, feeling momentarily sorrowful, but also relieved that my future self would not have to live without her beloved. I looked over at Max and gave him another smile. It wasn’t going to happen to us.

Max POV

Liz continued to answer a barrage of questions – mainly from Isabel who, apart from Michael, was the least ‘in the know’, when it came to Liz’s abilities. Me? I should have had a million questions myself, but I couldn’t voice any of them, due to the impending cloud of heaviness that began to settle on my shoulders.

Liz’s life had irrevocably changed forever and it was all my fault. I had saved her life that day in the Crashdown, but I had also taken it away from her. She was no longer the Liz that she was when I met her. She had lost her innocence and was no longer so carefree. She would forever have the weight of the world on her shoulders.

How could a mind process so much information without going into overload? How will Liz be able to concentrate on the present, when she is constantly bombarded with the future? How will she ever live a normal life? How could I not feel responsible for that?

“Please don’t freak out.” Liz’s voice suddenly interrupted my thoughts.

I looked up and noticed her standing before me, with everyone else in the room focusing their attention on me.

“I’m not freaking out…” I replied. I wasn’t – not yet, but my thoughts were definitely headed that way.

Liz just raised her eyebrow.

Okay, now I was freaking out. I suddenly stood up, causing Liz to jump backwards a step.

“So this is how it’s going to be?” I demanded. “You’re going know everything that is going to happen before it does?” My voice was now rising. “You are going to know everything I’m doing or thinking?”

“Doing, yes. Thinking … only if you tell me or if you act on your thoughts.” Liz replied meekly.

“So what am I about to do?” I demanded.

“You’re about to storm out of here and go back to the pod chamber.” Liz replied quietly. “You’re going to stay there until I come and find you to talk about all of this. By then you will have calmed down and be able to accept the changes that have occurred in me.”

I looked at Liz for a moment, and then turned and stormed out of Michael’s apartment, slamming the door behind me.

Okay, sure, Liz got that bit right. But there was no way in hell I was going to the pod chamber. I was going to prove her wrong – show that I was still in control of my destiny.

Liz POV

“I guess you were right.” Maria sighed.

“No. Max isn’t going to the pod chamber.” I replied.

“Where’s he going then?” Maria asked as I waited for the answer to come to me.

“He’s going back to his apartment where he is going to start going through Tess’ belongings.” I explained, before turning to Isabel. “Isabel, could you…”

“You don’t think you should be the one to talk to him?” Isabel replied, although she was already standing up, ready to head for the door.

“He’s not ready to talk to me yet.” I replied.

But I wasn’t worried. He would come around.

Isabel nodded and left the apartment. Michael settled down on the couch and turned on the TV – eager to test me now that Max had proven that I wasn’t entirely accurate in my predictions.

I went to the kitchen and poured myself a glass of water. Maria followed me and took a seat opposite me at the kitchen table.

“So this is pretty nuts, right?” Maria stated.

“It’s crazy.” I agreed.

“So…” Maria began the inevitable. “Me and Michael…”

“Are fine.” I replied. “For now…”

“What do you mean, for now?!” Maria exclaimed, to which I smiled. Predictable.

“I told you my power is subjective. The future will change if someone chooses it to. But for now, you are both going to live happily ever after.” I smiled.

“I guess that’s enough for me.” Maria smiled, before getting up to join Michael on the couch. I couldn’t help but notice that Maria slapped him over the head as she sat down.

“What was that for?!” Michael exclaimed, rubbing his head.

“Just reminding you not to be a bonehead and do anything to change the future.” Maria replied, snuggling into him.

Michael looked at her in confusion, before shrugging it off and retuning his attention to the game, but not before putting his arm around Maria so she could snuggle in closer.

Me? I sighed, wishing that my relationship with Max could be so uncomplicated.
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) Ch 57 13/1/09

Post by Oz »

Sorry for the delay. My muse took a break, and only returned because I promised her lots of chocolate icecream.

Thanks for sticking with me :)

Max POV

“Are you okay?” Isabel’s voice could only just be heard over the crackling of the fire.

What was burning? Tess’ things. Let’s call it a cleansing.

“Fantastic.” I replied, adding a few more of Tess’ clothes to the fire.

“Max…” Isabel said in a warning tone.

“What?” I shrugged. “What could possibly be wrong? Turns out my best friend was the devil incarnate, and now my girlfriend is a walking crystal ball. I’m friggin great.”

I looked around for something else to burn – Tess’ CDs… Actually, no, I think I’ll hold onto those. Her taste in music wasn’t that bad. Her books? Yep – nice kindling.

“How did we get here?” I asked, shaking my head. “How did I not see what Tess was until it was too late?”

“Tess fooled us all. We should have stuck to our first instincts about her, but we made the mistake of letting her in.” Isabel replied.

“I made the mistake. This is all on me.” I dropped my head.

“Don’t blame yourself. You couldn’t have known.”

“But I should of. I knew there was something wrong about her from the start, but I guess I also knew that being with Tess was the one thing that would hurt Liz. So I got close to her. The closer I got, I guess the harder it was for me to see her clearly. I should have never dropped my defences. I was being selfish and immature, instead of being the King that everyone needed me to be. And it almost cost me my life – and Liz’s life.”

“It’s over now. Tess is gone.” Isabel replied, stroking my back.

“Is it over? If it was over, our lives would be returning to normal, but our lives are far from normal, not with Liz…” I couldn’t finish, before I choked up. No, our lives would never be normal.

“Max. You are an alien king, yet you are a successful doctor at a hospital and own an apartment here where you live in general obscurity. Your life shouldn’t be this normal given what you are… what we all are.” Isabel pointed out.

She had a point. I once said it myself – what’s so great about normal?

“I’m sorry Tess turned out to be … well, evil.” Isabel continued. “And you have every right to be angry. Just… well, just don’t take it out on Liz okay?” Isabel replied, causing me to lower my arm that was about to throw Tess’ shoes onto the fire that was now blazing.

“I don’t want to take it out on Liz…” I sighed, knowing I shouldn’t have walked out like I did. But Liz had been right – I had freaked.

“It’s not her fault you know, she didn’t ask for this.” Isabel pointed out.

“Don’t you think I know that?” I bit. “Don’t you think I know that this is my fault? That day that I saved her life – I also changed it forever.”

“If you hadn’t been there Liz would be dead. Be grateful that she’s here, she’s alive and she loves you. And she saved your friggin neck from Nicholas. Without these abilities that she has, who knows what would have happened.”

“I know… It’s just a lot to come to terms with. She now has this burden… Her life will never be the same.” I sighed.

I wasn’t upset that Liz would now know everything that I did or would do. What could I possibly want to hide from her? I was upset that she had the weight of the world on her shoulders, and she could never live a normal life. When it was just the occasional vision here or there, I could handle it. I didn’t want her putting herself in danger like she was, but it didn’t happen all the time. Now… now I couldn’t imagine what kinds of things she was seeing. If I couldn’t stop her from risking her life before, how was I ever going to keep her safe now?

And it wasn’t only that… she was always going to know everything before it happened. There would be no surprises, no spontaneity. She would never experience anything first hand.

“No, it won’t.” Isabel interrupted my thoughts. “But it will be a hell of a lot easier if the both of you are together.” Isabel pointed out.

I nodded. Of course we would be together. There was never any doubt. I just needed time to get my head around everything. Liz had seemed so accepting and so in control of her new powers. She had said something about her future self giving her the ability to cope with what her future self had had years to get used to. I didn’t have that luxury – and I had every right to freak out over what these new powers meant. But that never meant that I didn’t want to be with Liz.

“I love her Iz.” I acknowledged.

“I know you do.” Isabel smiled, placing a hand on my shoulder as we watched the flames.

“Now, do you need some help?” Isabel asked, picking up a pair of Tess’ shoes.

“Go for it.” I smiled, indicating the fire.

“Actually, I think I’ll hold onto these – they’re Jimmy Choo’s. It would sacrilegious.” Isabel replied, putting the shoes to one side and picking up an old pair of sandshoes instead.

“Isabel?” I began.

“Yeah?” Isabel asked questioningly.

“Thanks.” I smiled.

“You’re welcome.” Isabel smiled in return.

Liz POV

My eyes fluttered open to find it was still dark, but there was something different in the room. I rolled over, knowing exactly who it was that was lying next to me.

“Max.” I smiled. “This is a surprise.”

“So it’s still possible then?” Max replied. “To surprise you.”

“Until the moment I wake up – yeah, I guess it is.” I replied.

“Then I guess I’ll have to hatch all of my evil plans at night while you’re asleep then.” Max replied with a wink.

I sat up, feeling intensely sad.

“Max … I would never … I mean, I don’t want to use this ability to keep tabs on you.” I said.

“I know.” Max replied. “And I don’t care anyway – no matter what I said before. I don’t have any secrets from you. Besides, I don’t know that you could help it even if you wanted to. It’s not as though you have an off switch.”

“I can filter out as much of the unnecessary things as I can, but you are such an important part of my life … our lives are too intertwined for me not to see you.” I explained.

“So what do you see Liz Parker. What’s my destiny?” Max grinned – repeating the words that I had once asked him.

My eyes lit up at the beauty of our future together, and Max could tell by my face that the future was bright.

“That’s okay – don’t tell me. I want to experience it for myself.” Max smiled, rolling onto his back and putting his hands behind his head – looking relaxed for the first time in a long time.

“It makes me happy to see you like this.” I smiled.

“Like what?” Max asked.

“Like you don’t have a care in the world.” I replied.

“Looks can be deceiving.” Max replied solemnly, and I saw a flicker of sadness pass over his face, but it was gone so quickly that I would have missed it if I had blinked. “I’m just trying to follow my new years resolution to stop and appreciate the goods things in my life.”

“Max? It’s September.” I pointed out.

“But this is a new year.” Max rolled over excitedly. “It’s the start of the rest of our lives together.”

“Okay, so if we are making resolutions, then I guess I should make one too.” I said, thinking of the one thing I wanted to change most. “I promise this year to not keep anything from you – to tell you everything.” Too much time had been lost from me not giving Max the opportunity to help me in my quest to save the world – his world.

“Not that I don’t appreciate the offer, but I’m not sure if I could handle that kind of sensory overload. What about promising to stop your mission to save the world one person at a time?” Max offered.

“What about I just promise to take you with me?” I counter-offered.

“Deal.” Max replied.

We both smiled.

“I love you.” I blurted.

“I love you too, but what brought that on?” Max asked, confused by the suddenness of my declaration.

“I just … well I just felt a little overwhelmed by the way you feel about me.” I confessed.

“You saw something from the future?” Max asked.

“No. I felt it through the connection. It felt wonderful.” I replied, closing my eyes and smiling as I basked in the waves of love that he was now deliberately sending through the connection.

“I was wrong.” Max muttered to himself.

“Wrong about what?” I asked confused.

“I was worried that this power of yours meant that you would never be able to experience anything first hand ever again.” Max admitted.

“I may be able to see the future, but it is never as good as being there and feeling it.” I smiled.

“I could give you something else to tantalise your senses.” Max said seductively, and a moan escaped my lips as I had a vision of what he was offering.

Max smiled at my reaction, and leaned and gave me a kiss that didn’t have any barriers, any insecurities, or any hesitations.

“What are you doing?” Max asked, as I slowly pulled away and reached for the phone.

“I’m calling in sick.” I replied. “Apparently there’s more where that came from.” I blushed as Max smiled devilishly.

Oh yes, our future was going to be beautiful.
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) Ch 58 9/2/09

Post by Oz »

Thanks for the FB!

Another small part, partly inspired by the recent events in Australia (the guy they caught should rot in jail. :x :x The freak had the nerve to file an insurance claim after starting a bushfire that burnt down his own house! What a nerve :twisted:).

The song is 'Citzen Soldier' by Three Doors Down.

Enjoy!

Liz POV

“So how long do we need to wait?” Max asked, looking at his watch for the fourth time in the past ten minutes.

“Do you have somewhere you need to be?” I asked with a raised eyebrow.

“The only place I want to be is with you.” Max smiled.

I couldn’t help but smile in return. It had been over a week since Max turned up in my bedroom that morning, and we had been pretty much inseparable ever since. Even when we had to work, I would call in to the hospital during Max’s break, or Max would sit at the counter in the Crashdown and watch me work. Now, we were doing a different kind of work.

“It’s not an exact science, but it can’t be much longer – my vision happened when the sun had only just set and the first street lights were coming out.” I explained.

Beyond the boundaries of your city's lights,
Stand the heroes waiting for your cries.
So many times you did not bring this on yourself,
When that moment finally comes,
I'll be there to help.

“So, what’s going to happen exactly?” Max asked, watching the street lights come on one by one up the street, from where we were crouched behind some bushes in someone’s front yard.

“He’ll come from that direction.” I said, pointing to the east. “He’ll casually walk by the brush fence and drop a match. Within seconds the fence will be in flames. Thirty seconds later, it will spread to the tree on the other side of the fence. A minute later, the roof of the house will catch on fire. By the time the fire fighters arrive, it will be too late. The family will lose everything.”

“What’s your plan?” Max asked.

“We wait for him to move on, and we extinguish the fire before it can spread.” I explained. “We then follow him down the street and do the same to the next three properties.”

“Why don’t we just call the police? This guy needs to be locked up.” Max pointed out.

“They’ll get him. The fifth property is an abandoned warehouse. He gets cocky and hangs around to watch his handiwork. A police cruiser happens to be driving past…” I explained. “He’ll get what’s coming to him – we’re just here for damage control.”

On that day when you need your brothers and sisters to care,
I'll be right here.
Citizen soldiers holding the light for the ones that we guide from the dark of despair.
Standing on guard for the ones that we sheltered,
We'll always be ready because we will always be there.

“I love you, you know that right.” Max blurted.

I looked up and met his eyes. “I do. And I love you too.” I smiled.

“And despite the fact that I don’t always agree with you risking your life doing this, I think you are making the world a better place, and I’m proud to be here with you.” Max beamed.

When there are people crying in the streets,
When they're starving for a meal to eat,
When they simply need a place to make their beds,
Right here underneath my wing,
You can rest your head.

“I’m glad you’re here too.” I smiled, turning my attention back to the street for a moment.

Only a moment…

“Max!” I cried – literally, tears began welling up in my eyes.

Max just smiled a sly smile. “Saw that did you?”

I nodded – the image of a sparkling bright diamond ring resonating in my head.

“Did you see how I would do it?” Max asked curiously.

“No. You haven’t decided yet – only that you want to do it.” I replied.

“I could really have some fun then.” Max smiled wickedly.

“What do you mean?” I asked curiously.

“By spending all my spare time thinking up every possible way I could ask you. It will drive you mad.” Max grinned.

An image of Max on bended knee in the pod chamber flickered through my mind. I gasped and Max grinned even more.

I used all of my power to force myself to return my attention back to the street, just in time to see a flicker of flame as a dark shadow disappeared around the corner.

I'll be right here.
Citizen soldiers holding the light for the ones that we guide from the dark of despair.

“It’s time.” I announced, clearing the bushes and racing across the street. Max was only a few steps behind me.

I concentrated on the flames, using my powers to suck all of the oxygen away from the fire, so that only the smoke remained.

“How did you…?” Max asked.

“Something I’ve been wanting the chance to practice, since meeting my future self. I wasn’t sure that I’d actually be able to do it.” I replied, suitably impressed with myself. I had barely touched the extent of my powers.

“We’d better go.” Max interrupted me, indicating to the now darkened corner where the arsonist had continued on his path of destruction.

Hope and pray that you'll never need me,
But rest assured I will not let you down.
I'll walk beside you but you may not see me,
The strongest among you may not wear a crown.

We extinguished three more fires, and then couldn’t help but follow to the abandoned factory to see the man get arrested. It made for a satisfying end to the night.

I'll be right here.
On that day when you don't have the strength for the burden you bear,
I'll be right here.

“We should probably get some kind of uniform.” Max said, as I unlocked the front door of my apartment later that night.

“Uniform?” I repeated.

“Yeah, well, if we’re going to spend our nights fighting crime…” Max smiled, before grinning. “I could just imagine you in a black leather suit like Catwoman.”

“Really?” I smiled, as Max pinned me against the wall and started kissing my jaw and down the side of my neck.

“Maybe I should get a black leather suit anyway…” I purred.

At that moment there was a sound of what sounded like a chair being scraped across the floor in the kitchen. Both Max and I froze. Crap, they were early. How had I missed that?

“Lizzie, is that you?” My father’s voice came from the kitchen, and was followed by the sight of him stepping into the living room a moment later. “Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t realise you had company.”

At that moment Max turned around so that his back was no longer to my father. I berated myself for not telling Max to go straight home instead of coming inside.

“Max?!” My father exclaimed, looking from Max to me with a look of a mixture of both hate, surprise, and disappointment.

It was going to be a long night…
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) Ch 59 20/2/09

Post by Oz »

Here 'tis for another month. My muse came to visit unexpectedly. Lucky this financial crisis meant I had no work to do!

Enjoy.

Liz POV

“Hey Dad.” I smiled innocently, despite the compromising position he had just found me in with Max.

“Hi.” My father replied with his jaw clenched, still eyeballing Max.

“Lizzie, honey.” My mother gushed, pushing past my father and giving me a huge hug. She then turned to Max and gave him one too. I could see my father’s jaw drop – too stunned to speak.

“Hi Mrs Parker.” Max replied. “How are you feeling these days?”

“Perfect, thank you.” My mother replied, emphasising Max’s influence on the state of her health.

“H-hum.” My father fake-coughed, his eyes now stuck on the sight of his wife’s hand casually resting on Max’s arm. He then turned his attention back to me. “Don’t you think its time your guest said goodbye. It’s late.”

“It’s not that late.” My mother replied for me, and ushered both Max and I into the kitchen. “I’ve just boiled the kettle.”

I glanced at Max who glanced at me with a momentary look of panic at the prospect of being in the same room as my father for a little longer. I berated myself for not having orchestrated this better. I had seen their decision to come home, but had been distracted with Max and our night of crime-fighting that I had overlooked their arrival. I guess I wasn’t infallible after all. But it would turn out okay.

“So, you haven’t asked us what we are doing home.” My mother began as she poured four coffees.

They had missed me and wanted to spend more time with me.

“Uh, why did you come back? I thought you had another six months on the road already planned out.” I asked.

“Well, we were driving to Yellowstone National Park, your Dad had always wanted to see Old Faithful, and well, we …”

While my mother continued her long winded explanation of what I already knew, I watched my father from the corner of my eye. He was standing up against the wall, refusing to sit at the table with Max and I, clenching his fist to the point that it was turning white. If I couldn’t see the future, I would have been worried that he was getting ready to jump over the table and strangle Max. Okay, so maybe that wasn’t far from the truth.

“… and so we turned around and came straight home. We would have called but we had wanted to surprise you.” My mother finished grinning.

“Well, you definitely did. It was a nice surprise.” I smiled, casually squeezing Max’s leg under the table, to let him know that it was going to be okay. There was no need for him to leave.

“It was probably more of a surprise for us.” My father spoke for the first time since entering the room. “You didn’t tell us that you and Max were seeing each other.”

“It’s only a recent thing.” I shrugged as casually as possible.

My father breathed a sigh of relief, as though there was hope that we weren’t that serious and it could end just as quickly as it had begun.

“We love each other.” I replied to my father’s unspoken statement. “So you had better get used to Max being around.”

Max looked at me in a panic, before returning his attention to my father, as if expecting a cobra to strike. My father didn’t disappoint.

“How could you even fathom being with Max after everything he put you through?!” My father pounced, and I wondered how close he was to literally having steam coming out of his ears. “I don’t know what happened between the two of you all of those years ago, but I saw how much you were hurt. Who’s to say he won’t do it again?”

I tried to overlook the fact that my father was acting as if Max wasn’t in the room, so I took Max’s hand in mine to make it harder for my father to ignore.

“We both got hurt and we both had our reasons.” I replied, trying to deflect all of the blame. “Those reasons have disappeared, and so now we are trying again.”

“And how long will it be before he’s running around with that blonde again behind your back? I may not know what happened between you, but I could see what was happening after you left.” My father said, his eyes narrowing at Max as though he was daring him to retaliate.

“With all due respect Sir…” Max began, but wasn’t allowed to finish.

“If you respected me you would leave my daughter the hell alone!” My father exclaimed.

“Dad, you don’t understand…” I tried to explain.

“No, you don’t understand. While you are living under my roof, I do not want him in my house!” My father yelled.

Max rose to leave, but I held him back.

“Then I’ll move out.” I replied defiantly.

My father went to speak, but it seemed that he had been stunned into silence. He obviously wasn’t expecting that reply. Max squeezed my hand in support, as my father and I stared each other down.

“Enough!” My mother interjected. “This is just ridiculous. Jeff, there’s something you need to know...”

Max POV

“No!” I exclaimed, before it would be too late and I was outed to the one person left in the world that I had reason to fear. “I’ll leave.”

I squeezed Liz’s hand before disentangling myself and heading for the door.

“Wait, Max.” Liz cried as I reached for the handle. I looked up at her in apology, but was surprised by the urgency that shone on her face.

“Tell him.” She begged.

“No.” I shook my head. There was no way on earth…

“It’s going to be okay.” She promised.

If it was any other person I would have laughed at them, disbelieved them and headed for the door. But this was Liz. She could see the future. I trusted her.

But I still couldn’t help raising my eyebrow in disbelief. How could this possibly turn out okay? Was it possible that Liz could see a future that didn’t involve Jeff turning me into the FBI, or worse, banning me from ever laying eyes on his daughter again?

Liz visibly relaxed, and it put me at ease instantly.

“I promise.” She said, coaxing me back into the room.

“Will someone tell me what’s going on?” My father demanded, looking at the three of us in confusion, obviously having deducted that he was the only person in the room that didn’t have a clue what was going on.

“I think you should sit down.” Nancy replied, guiding my father to a chair, taking a seat beside him and placing a hand on top of his. Liz and I remained standing, hands linked and ready for battle.

“You once described my recovery from cancer as being a miracle…” Nancy addressed Jeff.

“I did.” Jeff nodded, obviously remembering the conversation.

“It wasn’t a miracle.” Nancy explained, and I cringed for what would inevitably follow. “It was Max.”

“He’s a good doctor, I’ve never disputed that.” Jeff conceded, and I couldn’t help but feel a little vindicated at that concession.

“He’s not just a good doctor… he’s a healer.” Nancy clarified.

“You mean like one of those spiritual-voodoo-type-hippies?” Jeff said, looking me up and down like I was a crackpot. Oh yes, this was going really well.

“I don’t know how he does it, but he can heal people. He placed a hand on my abdomen…” And I would have done anything at that moment to hide from the look Jeff gave me at the mention of me touching his wife’s body. “… and concentrated, and the cancer was gone. He literally made it disappear into thin air.”

Jeff flicked a suspicious glance in my direction, but I could tell that he wasn’t buying it.

“We’ll prove it to you.” Liz replied, and before I had a chance to react, Liz reached for a kitchen knife and sliced her forearm open.

“Liz!” I exclaimed, automatically reaching for her arm to stop the bleeding that had already begun pooling on the table.

“Do it. Heal me and prove it to him. End this.” Liz begged.

I stared at Liz for a moment, wondering if I should be mad that she put me in this position, or relieved that there would be one less person in the world that I would have to lie to.

“Of course I would heal you. There is no question.” I replied, taking my hand away to show that the skin had already been reformed. I had healed her before she had asked me to. I then got up and walked away from the table, waiting for the fallout.

Jeff’s jaw dropped for the second time that night, before he quickly grabbed Liz’s arm to see for himself. Despite the blood that remained as evidence, there was no sign of the injury that had spilled it.

“How?” Jeff gasped.

“Humans only access around 10% of what their brains are capable of…” I began. “I can access more.”

“Again I ask, how?” Jeff replied. “What makes you different to everyone else on this earth?”

I hesitated for a moment and glanced at Liz for encouragement. Liz gave me a smile and a small nod of her head, so I took a breath before I continued.

“Because I’m not from Earth. I landed here in 1947.” I stated nervously.

Jeff looked me up and down for a moment, before jumping up from the table.

“Freak!” Jeff exclaimed, pointing his finger angrily at me. “Get out of my house!”

I looked at Liz in shock as I nervously took a step backwards.

Not quite the reaction I was expecting given Liz’s confidence.

“If Max is a freak, then what do you call your own daughter?” Liz demanded, jumping up from the table and letting the energy run down her arms and crackle in her fingertips. Aiming away from everyone, she used the power in her fingers to blow up a defenceless lamp in the corner of the room.

“Oh, my.” Nancy exclaimed, fainting where she stood.

“Mum!” Liz exclaimed, racing to her side.

“Don’t touch her!” Jeff yelled at Liz, holding his own daughter back from her mother like she was dangerous.

“She’s going to be fine.” Liz replied, not showing any sign of being hurt by her father’s reaction.

“How do you know?” Jeff spat.

“You’d be surprised how much I know.” Liz smiled. “Mum is going to open her eyes in approximately ten seconds, she’ll rub her head with her left hand and complain that she’s so embarrassed.”

Jeff looked like he was going to challenge Liz on it, but thought better of it.

“Three, two, one.” Liz counted down.

Nancy’s eyes fluttered open and she glanced at the standoff between Jeff and Liz.

“What happened?” Nancy said, rubbing her head with her left hand and struggling to sit up. “Did I faint? How embarrassing? Oh dear…”

Liz gave her father an appropriate I-told-you-so-type of look.

“I’m so sorry.” Nancy continued to apologise as she got to her feet. “That was just so unexpected. I don’t understand, Liz honey. You’re ours, you’re human – how could you do that?”

“I changed when Max healed me.” Liz explained.

“Just then?” Jeff clarified.

“No. When Max saved my life that day the gun went off in the Crashdown.” Liz explained.

Now Jeff looked like he was going to be the one to faint.

“You – you told me that you weren’t hurt. Y-you told me that it was ketchup on your uniform.” Jeff stammered, looking as though he was unable to catch his breath.

“I would have died if Max hadn’t been there. I was shot, but Max healed me. He brought me back to life.” Liz explained, and I waited for the reaction. Would this redeem me in Jeff’s eyes, or would he still consider me to be a freak?

“I … I …” Jeff stammered, before he clutched his chest and gasped, “Help me…”

“Max!” Liz exclaimed, as Jeff’s knees began to buckle underneath him.

I was already under him, catching his fall, and laying him down on the floor.

“Jeff. Jeff! If you can hear me you have to look at me!” I ordered, as I ripped open his shirt and placed my hands above his heart. “Look at me!”

As he did, I was able to form a connection, and was flooded with images as I concentrated on settling the rhythm of Jeff’s heart to a steady pace.

I saw images from his childhood.

The first day he saw Nancy from across the room at a school dance.

His wedding day.

The day Liz was born.

Teaching Liz to ride a bike, and then to drive a car.

The heartache at seeing Liz so sad and the loneliness of having her living so far away from home.

It was becoming too much to bear, and with his heart beating steadily, I removed my hands.

“I’m sorry.” Both Jeff and I said at the same time.

“You have nothing to be sorry for Max.” Jeff conceded, accepting my hand to help him up from the floor.

He had seen just as many images of me through the connection. He had seen into my soul.

“I know I hurt her. It’s my fault that she left you and Nancy for so long.” I admitted. “I know that there is nothing I can do that can make it up to you.”

“You already have. You gave me my daughter back. You gave me my wife back, and now you have given me my life back.” Jeff replied. “I’m sorry that I have given you such a hard time over the years. It is more than you deserved. I see now how much you love my daughter and how … complicated your life has been. I’m sorry that I didn’t make it any easier.”

He put out his hand for me to shake, and I took it with a strong grip. Instead of shaking my hand, he pulled me into a one-armed hug and patted me on the back.

“Is it too early to say, welcome to the family?” Jeff smiled at me and then at Liz.

“It is a little premature, yes.” I replied, as Jeff and Liz embraced.

“Well, you’ll have my blessing.” Jeff replied.

Our blessing.” Nancy corrected, giving Jeff a hug.

I put my arm around Liz and felt her beaming with happiness at her father’s acceptance. Exactly as she had foreseen.
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) AN 4/4/09

Post by Oz »

Thanks to those who bid on me in the Auction - particularly to Alien_Friend who won me for $40! I'll be writing a fic for her which is looking to be interesting - but you'll have to ask her very nicely, and possibly provide bribes, if you want to get the chance to read it!!

Here's the next update. It should bring a few smiles... :wink:

Liz POV

“Would you stop that!” I begged, clutching the dresser as the head-spins threatened to send me spiralling.

“Stop what?” Max asked innocently, but with a wide grin that stretched from ear to ear.

“You know what.” I frowned. For the past week I had constantly received images of Max asking me to marry him. Sometimes it happened on a tropical beach at sunset, sometimes it was in the morning after glow, one time it was on top of the empire state building on Valentines Day – but we had only just finished watching an old Tom Hanks movie. Each one had something in common – they were all so utterly romantic and perfect that my heart felt like it was going to explode. It wasn’t very helpful when I was in the middle of dealing with an irate customer in the Crashdown and a sudden onslaught of images meant that I couldn’t wipe the smile from my face.

Max laughed. “I just figure that since we’re moving in together, that I should make an honest woman of you.”

Did I mention that we were currently knee deep in boxes and packaging tape, ready to move into our new place? Despite finally receiving the acceptance of my Dad, there was only so much Max and I wanted to spend in the same apartment as my parents. And Max’s place – well there was too many memories for him – memories that I was just as happy to leave well alone. So we had found somewhere new, halfway between the Crashdown and the hospital, and tomorrow we would get the keys.

“That’s so romantic.” I berated him, but with a smile – he had shown me, over the past week, just how romantic he could be.

“You know you enjoy it.” Max winked, tossing an old baseball mitt into the closest box. I could smell the sweaty odour from where I stood, but was not in the mood to attempt to get him to throw it on the dump pile instead – I had learnt not to come between the man and his sports.

Max was right. I did secretly enjoy the images he had been giving me. It was like living in my own personal romance movie, where the hero and heroine finally get together – only I get to see the alternative endings that the director threw on the cutting room floor. Problem was – I couldn’t see anything wrong with any of the rejected versions.

And I loved the thought that when Max finally proposed, it would be a complete surprise – I wouldn’t believe it was serious until he actually put that ring on my finger.

“Can you get me those empty boxes from the spare bedroom?” Max asked, returning to the task at hand. I tried not to focus too much on the fact that he seemed unable to mention her name – it was Tess’ bedroom.

I felt sick to the stomach.

“What’s wrong?” Max asked, immediately worried by the look on my face.

“Nothing. It’s nothing.” I replied, slowly putting down the packaging tape that I’d just used to seal the box I had been filling, and slowly walking towards Tess’ room.

I had two choices, I could grab the boxes and quickly run back out of the room, or I could face the demon. Question was – was Max ready? Maybe not, but I’d promised myself, and Max, that there would be no more secrets.

Sliding the boxes across the floor, I found the floorboard that looked a little more worn than the rest. Using my fingernails, I pried the floorboard away from the floor to reveal a cavity under the floor – Tess’ private hiding spot.

Taking out a leather bound journal, I blew off the dust that had settled on it in the last few months. Flicking open the pages, I skimmed the entries.

…‘They hate me, and they don’t even try to hide it. If it wasn’t for Max, I would have left ages ago. But putting up with them is worth it – for the prize at the end.’…

…’I had seen him in my memories, but nothing had prepared me for how I would feel when I was actually in the same room as him. Did he feel the same way about me? Did his heart quiver as though it had found its missing piece, and wanted nothing more than to be whole again? He couldn’t, otherwise he wouldn’t feel anything for that Liz Parker girl – his heart just wouldn’t stand for it.’…

…’I’m beginning to wonder whether all this heartache is worth it? Liz Parker had been gone for so long, and we were making progress, but the second she’s back, I can feel him already pulling away from me. He may try to disguise his feelings for her with anger, but I see his eyes when he thinks I’m not looking. Those eyes are hurt, and jealous of her relationship with Zan. It’s clear that he’s not over her.’…

…’That bitch! She turned up and ruined everything! I was so close to being able to go home – back to Antar with my husband! We were heading to a place where memories of Liz Parker would vanish, and memories of our previous life would return. Max would have remembered how much he loved me – but he threw that away for her!! That’s it. It’s over. I’m out of here and the rest of them can just rot here on Earth as far as I’m concerned. I’m going to find someone who can take me back to the place where I really belong. I’m going home one way or another.’…

…’I can’t believe that Liz Parker threw me a lifeline, just when I thought it was all over. Unbelievable, she understands how important I am for Max and the rest of them to survive. She is going to leave once and for all – and I will be here to put Max’s shattered heart back together. And if she ever comes back, then I will always have ‘plan B’ up my sleeve…’…

“What are you doing?” Max asked from the doorway, obviously wondering why I was taking so long to grab the boxes.

I snapped the journal shut and handed it to Max.

He took it and rolled it over in his hands for a moment.

“It’s Tess’.” I stated unnecessarily.

“Where was it?” Max eventually asked.

“Under a loose floorboard.” I replied.

I stood and put my hand on his shoulder as I headed out of the room – intending to give him some time alone.

“Stop.” Max said. “Will you read it with me?”

“Are you sure?” I asked.

“Of course. She hurt the both of us – we both need closure.” Max explained.

“Okay.” I nodded, taking a seat on the floor next to Max.

We read the journal from cover to cover, learning the full extent of Tess’ lies and manipulation. She had aligned herself with Nicholas after that day in the pod chamber, and had been playing both sides – biding her time until she had to make a choice as to who’s camp she would settle in. She had always held out hope, until the very last, that Max would finally realise he had feelings for her, but if he didn’t, she was willing to let him die in order to prove her allegiance to Nicholas.

When we were done reading, we burned the journal in the fireplace until it was nothing but ash. Leaving Max’s apartment to start our new lives together was even more significant now. Everything Tess had done to us in the past would be left behind too – and we never had to think of it again.

Max POV

“What do you say about ordering some take-out for dinner?” I asked Liz, as we both sat exhausted on the sofa after having finally unpacked the last box.

“Sounds like heaven. I’m too tired to even walk to the refrigerator.” Liz groaned, rubbing her feet. “Besides, I think the fridge is empty.”

“Thai? The usual? Green chicken curry and Pad Thai noodles?” I suggested – our favourites.

“Don’t forget the spring rolls.” Liz called as I started dialling the restaurant from the next room.

When I returned, Liz had already fallen asleep, so I covered her up with a rug, and sat on the other side of the room and watched her sleep. She was so beautiful, and I still couldn’t believe that she was mine. After everything we had been through, I just never really believed that we could have this – a moment of absolute perfection where everything was right with the world.

Well, almost everything… I still wanted to find a way of proposing to her. Instead of being on the other side of the room where I now sat, I pictured sitting on the sofa with Liz’s head resting on my lap watching some comedy like ‘How I met your mother’. I would stroke my fingers through her hair and then ask simply – ‘Marry me?’. Liz would reply ‘Mmm-hmm’, snuggle in closer and give a contented sigh.

I watchd as a smile crept over Liz’s face. Even in her sleep I was able to give her beautiful dreams.

I gave a contented sigh.

Liz POV

Waiting on the corner of Main Street, I checked my watch again. Max was supposed to meet me for lunch ten minutes ago. My phone was flat so I couldn’t call, and he’d probably left a message that I couldn’t check. He had been working so much at the hospital lately, and I had been busy with the Crashdown and getting the apartment decorated, that we had barely seen each other since we moved in together. Today’s lunch date was supposed to be the first step back to getting some quality time. So far it was not off to a good start.

“I’m sorry I’m late.” Max puffed, as he gave me a quick kiss to greet me. “I got caught up talking to the chief about some new diagnostic equipment. I hope you haven’t been waiting long.”

“No, not long.” I smiled. “Where should we go to eat?”

“What about trying the new plaza. There’s a whole heap of new restaurants and shops down there now.” Max suggested, leading me in that direction.

It really felt as though Roswell was coming to life with all the new development going on. My father was a little worried about what it would do to business, but the Crashdown had such a steady clientele, that it was hard to imaging them going elsewhere. I guess time would tell.

“Let’s try this place.” Max suggested, leading me through a door. I hadn’t been concentrating on where we had been going, but the moment he said those words, I was bowled over by images of a sea of diamond rings. It wasn’t until I looked around at he place Max had taken me into that I had realised that this vision was really happening… And Max was on bended knee.

“Liz.” He began, holding my hand. “I know that there are a million ways that I could have done this, and you have seen many of them. But no matter how many ways there are to ask, there is only one answer I want to hear. That answer would make me the happiest man in this universe. So I ask you, Liz Parker … will you marry me?”

“Yes!” I cried. No matter how many times I had seen him ask me, and in how many different ways, I couldn’t stop myself blubbering like a baby when it finally happened.

There was a round of applause from the shop assistants who had watched the entire thing, and who were now passing around tissues among themselves. I on the other hand, let the tears of happiness fall where they may, while I wrapped my arms around my fiancé.

“Surprised?” Max asked.

“Completely.” I replied, smiling from ear to ear. “How did you do it without me knowing?”

“Turns out it was easy in the end – it was just a spur of the moment decision when I saw the store. I hadn’t planned it to happen this way.” Max explained, before frowning. “You’re not disappointed that it wasn’t on a tropical island? Or in a mountain chalet?”

“Of course not. All I wanted was for you to ask the question. I didn’t care where or how it happened, as long as it came from the heart.” I replied.
“My heart is, and always will be, yours.” Max replied.

“And mine yours.” I promised.

“So now its time to get down to the serious business…” Max said seriously, and before I could think past Pre-nups and Power of Attorneys, and image of the most beautiful ring crossed my mind.

“…Let’s find you the perfect ring.” Max smiled, taking my hand.

“Do you have an idea what type of ring you are looking for?” The sales manager asked, leading me to the counter.

“It’s a single stone clasp diamond set in platinum gold band with a decorative scroll.” I described from what I remembered of the image.

“I have just the thing.” The manager said, crossing to the other side of the counter and coming back with a box. There sat the ring I had seen from my vision.

“It’s beautiful.” Both Max and I exclaimed at once.

“We’ll take it.” Max added.

“But Max, the price…” I tried to argue, seeing the receipt before it had been written.

“Is fine. Nothing’s too much for you. I wouldn’t want you to wear anything else.” Max smiled, preparing to finalise the purchase.

I was left to gaze at the diamond ring, contemplating how wonderfully perfect Max was, and how brilliant our lives together would really be. I had seen enough of our future to know that. I also saw a desperate need to call Maria before she made my life a living hell from keeping this from her for more than half an hour.

I walked to the entrance of the store and dialled her number.

“Maria?” I asked as she picked up the phone.

“Hey Chica, what’s up?” Maria asked.

“I was wondering if you could do me a favour?” I began casually.

“Sure thing.” Maria replied before she even knew what it was.

“Will you be my bridesmaid?” I asked, before pulling the phone away from my ear in anticipation. I wasn’t disappointed. Some of the shoppers from the back of the store looked around at the sound of Maria’s squealing coming through the phone.

When the squealing finally ended, we were able to talk details.

“Oh Chica, I’ve got so many ideas, we have to start planning. Have you set a date?” Maria asked.

“We haven’t quite got that far in our discussions. We haven’t even left the jewellery store.” I rolled my eyes.

“Well, you’re going to have to set a date quickly before everything books up. And the dress… we’re going to have to book a trip to New York to see some designers… There’s so much to organise…”

I could tell Maria was getting stressed out already, but she thrived on it.

“I’ve got to go. We’ll talk soon, okay?” I said, trying to cut the conversation short, as Max was finishing up the transaction.

“Sure, okay. Oh, the reception…” I could hear Maria still talking as I hung up the phone.

“Ready to go?” Max asked, taking my hand.

“Aren’t you forgetting something?” I smiled, holding out my left hand.

“You’re going to have to wait.” Max replied. “I’m having it engraved.”

“Maria’s not going to like that…” I grinned.

“I can handle Maria.” Max shrugged, but I could see the nervousness flitter across his face.

I giggled. The only thing worse than Hurricane Deluca was Bridesmaidzilla Deluca.
Paramore - Decode