Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) COMPLETE 3/3/10

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) Ch 39 7/5/08

Post by Oz »

Next part. Sorry it is a bit short. I need some inspiration...

Liz POV

“C’mon…” Maria whined. “You’ve been at that for hours. Let’s go out and have some fun.”

“I can’t. The bookwork for the Crashdown hasn’t been done since my mum got sick. There’s a mountain of it, and with running the Crashdown all day, my recent late night escapades, debriefs with Max and various welcome home parties, I haven’t had a chance to do it before now…” I replied.

“Well then, maybe you need to hire someone to help you out with the Crashdown?” Maria suggested.

“… and I think I’m coming down with something.” I sighed, holding my head in my hand, ignoring Maria’s suggestion.

“I’m not surprised – you’re running yourself into the ground. You can’t be expected to run that place 24/7. Promise me you’ll advertise for some help.” Maria asked.

“I’ll think about it.” I replied, returning to the bookwork, and then slamming it shut. With the way my eyes were glazing over, I would be wasting my time if I continued.

“So I guess going out is out of the question?” Maria observed.

“Sorry Maria. Raincheck?” I apologised.

“Sure. Just get some rest ok?”

“Ok.” I promised, crawling into bed as Maria pulled the quilt over me before turning off the light and letting herself out.

Unfortunately, sleep didn’t come that easily to me. I tossed and turned all night, with broken images flashing through my dreams. Unlike my usual visions, there was no clear sign of what was going to happen, or what I could do to stop it. Instead, all I could remember when I woke in the morning, was an uneasiness and a sense of foreboding, as though evil was about to arrive in Roswell, and there was nothing I could do to prevent it.

“Excuse me, miss?” A voice in front of me interrupted the little doze I was having at the counter.

“Sorry.” I fumbled for my order pad and pen. Sure it was a slow morning, but I have never fallen asleep on the job before. “What can I get you?” I yawned.

“I’m here about this…” The man said, holding up a ‘Help Wanted’ sign that he had pulled from the front window.

One word – Maria…

“Oh, I wasn’t … I didn’t…” I stumbled.

“So you don’t have a job going?” The man frowned – understandably confused.

“Yes – no, um, I wasn’t really expecting …” I stuttered, before stopping to take a good look at this guy standing before me. He was tall, slim, fair, with blue eyes, and was about my age – not really someone who I expected to apply for the job. “Why would you want to work here?” I blurted.

“Well, because I’m new in town, and I’m not sure how long I’m staying, so I don’t want anything too permanent.” He replied.

“Are you sure?” I clarified.

“Sure, why not?” He smiled. “This looks like a fun place to work. You’d meet a lot of interesting people in a place like this.”

“You’re not a UFO-junkie are you?” I asked hesitantly. We had so many people pass though town wanting to find out about the Crash, certain they are going to see their very own aliens. I guess their chances were better than expected, given that at least one alien ate here every day…

“You got me.” He confessed, throwing his hands up in the air in surrender. “And where better to work than at your little alien themed restaurant opposite the UFO centre. So can I have the job?”

“I don’t know…” I replied cautiously – not really sure if he was paying a compliment to my family’s restaurant or taking the mickey. “I was really looking for someone who would work for minimum wage to bus tables.” I lied, hoping it would put him off the idea at working at the Crashdown.

“Fine. When can I start?” He asked.

“What’s your name?” I asked.

“Bryce.” He replied, holding out his hand for me to shake. I didn’t.

“Look Bryce. I’m going to do you a favour and say no. I really don’t think this is the job for you.” I explained, before sneezing five times while fumbling around for the box of tissues. I really just wanted to go back to bed, not deal with this guy.

“Why don’t you give me a shot? You don’t have anything to lose do you?” He pointed out, as he headed around to my side of the counter.

“What are you doing?” I demanded, watching him take out a mug and pour some boiling water.

“You’re not well. I’m making you a drink of hot lemon tea.” He explained, squeezing some lemon juice and adding a drop of honey.

“I’m fine.” I lied, watching him with interest.

“Liar.” He smiled, before putting his hand on my shoulder and gently leading me into the back room and guided me to the sofa. “I grew up with seven sisters, so I know how to speak ‘girl’. You’re not fine, but you aren’t willing to admit it. Why don’t you rest here for a while I watch the restaurant for you.” Bryce instructed. “It’s a slow day – I’m sure I can handle it.”

“But…” I began to protest as he walked back through the swinging doors.

“Your welcome.” He called.

Max POV

“Earth to Max?” Tess snapped her fingers in front of my eyes. “Where’d you go?”

“Uh, nowhere.” I replied, focusing back on Tess rather than the swinging doors that I had just seen Liz disappear through with a strange guy. A moment later I watched the guy return to the restaurant, and start bussing tables. Eventually he came to our booth to take our order.

“What can I get you both?” He asked.

“A Will Smith – where’s Liz?” I asked, ignoring the sudden frown that appeared on Tess’ face. I know I shouldn’t have asked, but I was concerned – she hadn’t looked well. Not to mention I was currently trying to resist the urge to punch this guy for touching Liz.

“Liz?” The waiter asked.

“Your boss…” I clarified with a raised eyebrow. Surely he would know the name of his own boss.

“Oh, yeah, Liz. She’s out the back.” The waiter replied, taking Tess’ order and walking back to the counter.

“Are you okay Max?” Tess asked concerned.

“Of course.” I smiled, wondering how I could get away to go and check on Liz. Something felt off, and it wasn’t just because I was unable to shake the image of his hand on Liz’s shoulder as he had led her out into the back room.

Eventually I excused myself to go to the bathroom, and while Tess wasn’t looking, I slipped out into the back room where I found curled up on the couch asleep.

“Liz? Are you alright?” I asked.

“Hmmm.” She sighed, not opening her eyes and sinking deeper into the cushion she was resting her head on.

It was then I noticed the tissues strewn all over the floor, and the half drunk cup of lemon and honey tea.

“Let’s get you upstairs.” I said, lifting Liz up and carrying her up the stairs to her apartment.

Once she was safely tucked in bed, I couldn’t help but linger and watch her sleep. For an instant I had an overwhelming feeling of despair settle in my stomach at the knowledge that I couldn’t be that guy for her – that guy that could sit at her bedside and wipe her sweaty brow when she was sick and make her better.

… But I could, that is, make her better at least. I bent down and placed my hand on her brow concentrating on ridding her body of the virus. When I pulled my hand away, she seemed more relaxed and comfortable. I was about to stand up and walk away, when she put her hand in mine and asked me to stay.

“I…I can’t.” I replied, taking my hand away. “Tess is downstairs waiting for me.”

Liz nodded and snuggled deeper into her pillow, as I turned to leave the room, wishing that I could stay but knowing I shouldn’t, for more reasons than just that Tess was downstairs.

When I got back downstairs, Tess was no longer at our booth, but sitting at the counter talking to the new waiter. I took my seat back in the booth where my food was waiting, and shortly later Tess rejoined me.

“What took you so long?” Tess asked.

“What were you doing talking to the waiter?” I asked, changing the subject.

“Just sussing him out. New face in town and all.” Tess replied.

“And what did you find out?” I asked.

“Nothing much.” Tess shrugged. “He seems pretty normal. His name is Bryce and he’s from Connecticut. He’s working his way across to the west coast, just doing odd jobs to pay his way. Just took the job here this morning. I didn’t know Liz was hiring…”

“I guess she must be short staffed.” I shrugged, taking a bite of my burger, and trying not to think about Liz lying upstairs. I really needed to start eating elsewhere … yet I couldn’t stop myself. Despite the fact that we couldn’t be together, and I wasn’t even sure that I wanted us to be together, Liz was a magnet that just kept pulling me back. I couldn’t help myself.

Liz POV

My eyes fluttered open, and I found myself in my bed. I looked at the clock and realised I had been asleep for a few hours. It was a little hazy as to how I managed to find my way to bed, but Max’s image popped into my head. I guess he had helped me upstairs.

Sitting up in bed, I felt remarkably refreshed, so I straightened up my hair and headed back downstairs. I was more than just a little worried about the state I would find the restaurant in, having left it in the hands of a complete stranger.

As I opened the swinging doors, I found the diner full of contented patrons. Everyone was looking fed and satisfied. There was no screaming for attention, or angry and dissatisfied looks. The few empty tables that were there were all clean and ready for their next customers. Even the kitchen staff looked relaxed and cheerful – not run off their feet with waitresses demanding their meals.

“Hi. You’re awake.” Bryce smiled as I approached him. “Feeling better?”

“Yeah, I am thanks. You seem to have everything under control here.” Unable to hide my surprise.

“Yeah, it’s been a breeze.” Bryce shrugged.

“So… about that job… It’s yours if you want it.” I conceded. I had to admit I was impressed, and was beginning to see the benefits of having someone like Bryce that I could rely on.

“Thanks. I do. I just have one request…” He added.

“What’s that?” I asked hesitantly, expecting him to now play hard ball with the wages.

“That I be excused from wearing the uniform.” Bryce smiled, indicating to one of the waitresses who was dressed in the old uniform, complete with antenna, which I had promised to get rid of once my parents had handed over responsibility for the Crashdown. It was on my to-do list.

“Not even the antenna?” I smiled.

“Okay, but only on national holidays.” Bryce smiled in return.

“Deal. Now if you have the restaurant under control, I think I might go and do some of the bookwork. I’ll be upstairs if you need anything.” I said, leaving Bryce in charge of the restaurant and feeling confident that I was leaving it in good hands.
"Do you see what we’ve done?
We’ve gone and made such fools of ourselves..."
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) Ch 40 22/5/08

Post by Oz »

Here is the update as promised!

I apologise in advance for the ending. It wasn't my original intention to leave you hanging, but do so in the interest of getting this chapter uploaded this century ... :wink:

Liz POV

One week later

“So what is there to do in this town anyway, you know, for fun?” Bryce asked at the end of a very busy day in the Crashdown.

“Well, we all meet down in the town square for a Ho Down y’all.” Maria replied in a tone that indicated that she took mild offence to Bryce’s suggestion that Roswell was the equivalent of Hicksville.

“Actually, Maria and I were thinking of going to ‘HQ’ – it’s a club downtown. You’re welcome to join us if you want.” I replied, trying to deflect Maria’s reply.

“Sounds great. Just let me grab my hat and spurs and I’ll be ready to go.” Bryce replied with a smile and a quick flick of his dish towel at Maria as he headed to the back room.

“I like him.” Maria admitted once he was out of earshot. “Aren’t you glad you took my advice and hired him?”

“Okay, I admit that maybe I have had a little more free time since he’s been here.” I replied.

“Oh c’mon. He’s practically running the place for you. You could stop working altogether and the place would still run smoothly.” Maria pointed out.

“Maybe I should. I’ll become a lady of leisure who sits around all day being fed grapes and endless glasses of ice tea.” I joked.

“As long as it was Bryce feeding me the grapes, I wouldn’t mind.” Maria winked. “You must admit the boy is hot.”

“Who’s hot?” A familiar voice came from behind Maria.

“You honey.” Maria replied without missing a beat, and turned around to give Michael a kiss.

I looked up to see Michael was closely followed by Max and Tess.

“Ready to go?” Max asked.

“Sure. We’re just waiting on Bryce.” Maria replied.

“Bryce is coming?” Max clarified stealing a look in my direction that I couldn’t read.

“Yeah, he’s just out the back.” Maria replied, grabbing her purse and pulling out her lipstick.

“Maria? Can I see you for a second?” I asked, grabbing Maria’s arm without waiting for a response and dragging her to the ladies room.

“You didn’t tell me Max and Tess were coming too? I thought it was just the two of us.” I huffed.

“Three of us – don’t forget Bryce.” Maria winked.

“About that … Everyone’s going to think we are on a date … the rest of you are all coupled up.” I whined.

“First of all, you’re the one who asked him to come along.” Maria reminded me, raising her hand to silence my protest that I wouldn’t have asked him if I knew the others would be coming. “And secondly … doesn’t it beat being the third wheel?”

“I guess…” I admitted.

“Besides … it might knock some sense into Max – once he sees you with another guy…” Maria winked.

“I don’t particularly want to make Max jealous.” I protested. “Things are as they should be. He’s with Tess and I’m …”

“You’re alone, and that is no way to go through life.” Maria finished for me. You need to live a little, have some fun, have a fling, and if it makes Max get his act together, then that’s a bonus.”

“That’s not my style Maria.” I protested. “I don’t want that to be the reason that Max chooses me…”

“So you are saying that you do want to be with Max.” Maria grinned.

“That’s not what I … I didn’t.” I fumbled. “I just want us to be friends.”

“Whatever you say Liz…” Maria smiled before walking out to join the others.

Max POV

“What are you doing here?” Liz asked surprised.

“I came for you.” I replied.

“You’re living dangerously don’t you think …” Liz smiled.

“I’m sick of being safe.” I replied, wrapping my arms around her waist and dancing seductively to the music, her body against mine.

“I’ve missed you.” She whispered in my ear, trying to make myself heard over the music.

“Not dancing tonight?” Michael asked, leaning back on the bar where we had been standing since arriving at the club.

I shook my thoughts from the memory from New York that had been playing in my mind as I watched Liz on the dance floor.

“Since when have I ever danced?” I replied, raising an eyebrow. Okay, so maybe I did once, but that was a long time ago… Now days, these clubs were really not my thing, but I wasn’t going to ruin everyone else’s fun by saying I’d rather stay at home.

“Liz has never been here before though.” Michael winked.

“Don’t start, please. Liz and I are not like that anymore.” I replied. “And even if we were, you know the deal with having to keep Tess in Roswell…” I replied.

“Yeah, yeah, whatever. I guess you have Bryce to thank in that case.”

“Thank him for what?” I asked.

“For making a play for Liz.” Michael replied, indicating to the dance floor. “Tess would be … more content … if Liz was seeing someone.”

I turned to see where Michael was indicating, and it did appear that Bryce was sideling up to Liz more than any other girl on the dance floor.

“Where is the little gerbil anyway?” Michael asked looking around.

“How many times have I asked you not to call her that?” I sighed, knowing I was wasting my breath. “She’s gone to the ladies room.”

“We just got here.” Michael replied smugly.

“What?” I demanded, seeing the smirk on his face.

“I was just thinking, she must have a bladder the size of a gerbil…”

“Can you please make an effort to be nicer to her? Is that even a remote possibility?” I begged.

“I can’t help it if she makes it so easy to make fun of her- Hey Tess.” Michael replied, seeing Tess appear at my side.

“Uh, Hi Michael.” Tess replied nervously, obviously not used to Michael even acknowledging her existence.

“You look lovely this evening.” Michael continued.

“Uh, thanks?” Tess replied, now looking at me with a questioning look.

I subtly elbowed Michael in the ribs to warn him that he was overdoing it, and Michael shrugged and walked off to join Maria on the dance floor.

“What’s up with him?” Tess asked.

“He’s just being Michael – the eternal enigma.” I shrugged, watching the effect that Michael’s presence had on the others dancing. Michael and Maria, Liz and Bryce…

“Wanna dance?” Tess asked.

“Maybe later.” I replied, turning to the bar to order another drink – something soft of course. I hadn’t had any alcohol since that night with Kyle, and I wasn’t looking to ever repeat it – although it would help if I was going to be forced to dance at some stage later tonight.

I held my breath, wondering whether Tess would stay with me or join the others on the dance floor, despite my refusal to dance. It wasn’t that I would rather not have her company, but four plus one equalled an odd number …

I let the breath out when, out of the corner of my eye, I saw Tess follow Michael to join the others on the dance floor. I tried not to feel any guilt at refusing to join her, but I can’t say that it was only my unpolished dancing ability that prevented me from joining her. If I joined Tess on the dance floor, that would put Maria and Michael together, and Liz and Bryce back together. The thought alone made me feel ill. By staying exactly where I was, it would leave the five of them dancing as a group rather than as couples.

I sighed. I couldn’t be thinking about Liz like that. I couldn’t be jealous. I couldn’t be wishing that I was the only one allowed to dance with her. I sighed and lowered my head. It was getting harder to deny that I had any feelings for Liz when those kinds of thoughts kept creeping into my head.

Liz POV

“Nice moves Ms Parker.” Bryce smiled as we danced. When I say we, I mean Bryce, Maria, Michael, Tess and I. Max was still standing on his own at the bar, just watching. I couldn’t help but blush at the thought that maybe he was watching just me. Then I quickly told myself to get over myself…

“Uh, thanks.” I replied. Why wasn’t Max dancing? Not that I was complaining. Seeing him sidling up to Tess was not my idea of a good night out. Speaking of which, I made sure there was a respectful distance between Bryce and myself too. Not that there was anything remotely going on between Bryce and I, but I didn’t want Max to think there was – no matter what Maria had suggested otherwise.

Unfortunately Bryce seemed to have different ideas, as I couldn’t help but notice that he was spending more time trying to dance one-on-one with me rather than dancing as a group.

As I wondered how obvious it would be if I switched places with Maria, I was knocked to the floor by a young girl, who had already had to much to drink, and who was headed to the bar - no doubt for more.

“Are you okay?” Bryce asked, offering me a hand off the beer lacquered floor.

“Fine.” I replied, trying to refocus from the vision in my head. “I’ll be right back.”

Without seeing the confused look on Bryce’s face, I pushed through the crowd to catch up to the girl. I found her at the counter, trying to get the barman’s attention, less than a few feet from where Max was standing.

“Are you okay?” Max asked concerned. “I saw you get knocked to the ground.”

“Fine.” I repeated distractedly, watching as a man approached the young girl and struck up a conversation.

“Can you do me a favour?” I asked Max, not taking my eyes off the man.

“Sure.” Max replied.

“Play along.” I directed, as I put my arm around Max’s neck, causing him to bend down lower and put his arm around my waist to balance. He and I then stumbled the few steps over to where the man and young woman were talking.

“Honey, wud you gets me anudder drinky-poo … oops, sorrry.” I slurred, pretending to be drunk and purposely bumping into the man at the bar. As I did, it caused him to knock over the girl’s drink, spilling its contents onto the bar, including the not-quite-dissolved date rape pill he had just dropped in the glass. The man began to back away as the barman looked from the pill, up to the man, and to the man’s jacket pocket where the barman reached in and pulled out a container of pills. The barman immediately indicated to two big, burly bouncers to escort the man away while the barman made a phone call to the police.

“What’s going on?” Tess asked breathlessly, as she and the others joined us by the bar.

“Nothing.” Max replied, immediately dropping his arm that had lingered on my waist, and taking a step away from me, which I couldn’t help but notice took him a step closer to Tess.

“I think we should go.” I announced, watching the police escort the man from the building. “There are some unsavoury people here tonight.”

“But it’s still so early.” Maria whined. “This was supposed to be our night out on the town.”

“Well, what else is there to do in this town?” Bryce grinned at Maria, trying to start the fight from earlier.

“’Ironman’ is showing in the cinema.” Michael replied.

“You mean ‘Sex and the City’”. Maria corrected him.

“You can see that chick flick if you want, but the guys are going to see ‘Ironman’. Am I right gentlemen?” Michael asked, putting his arm around both Bryce and Max.

“Fine – I can accept Robert Downey Jnr as a compromise - but you’d better be buying me ice cream!” Maria ordered.

“Sure, but I’ll need to borrow some money. I don’t get paid until Thursday.” Michael shrugged.

As we all left the club, the sound of the music was replaced by the sound of Maria berating Michael for not being more careful with his money.

Max POV

Okay, could the night get any more awkward?

After Liz’s impromptu arm around my neck, and my arm around her waist, I felt like my skin was on fire, just dying to be able to touch her again. I wondered if she was feeling it too?

Sitting in the cinema watching the ads before the movie began, I was seated between Tess and Maria, wondering what Liz and Bryce were talking about so in depth. I wasn’t jealous. No really, I wasn’t. I just ached to be near her. That’s not the same... right?

“Are you okay?” Tess asked, looking at me concerned, obviously noting the stiffness of my shoulders. Or maybe it was the fact that I hadn’t spoken two words to her since leaving the club. I berated myself for not treating her like I should.

“Yeah, fine.” I forced a smile, but was unable to relax.

“Oh, great.” Maria sighed under her breath as a tall person sat in the seat directly in front of her. “Michael honey…” Maria batted her eyelids.

“I’m comfortable.” Michael stated, making no attempt to move.

“Liz? Would you mind…?” Maria sweet-talked.

Liz immediately stood up and swapped places with Maria, giving me a shy smile as she sat down next to me.

“Hey.” I said. Smooth Max, real smooth.

“Hey.” Liz replied.

The lights darkened and the opening credits rolled.

“Popcorn?” Liz whispered.

“Sure.” I replied.

“Just help yourself.” Liz instructed, placing the bucket in the cup holder between our two seats.

Ten minutes later, the inevitable happened, and both Liz and I reached for the popcorn at the same time, causing our hands to brush each other.

“Sorry.” Liz immediately apologised, pulling her hand away.

But it was too late. Just that one simple little touch made my skin feel like it was aflame, and the only thing that would put out the fire was to touch her again. As the movie continued, I could think of nothing but how I could orchestrate a way of touching her again.

Liz placed her hand by her side on the seat, and after I had placed a few pieces of popcorn in my mouth, I casually let my hand rest on my seat, a heartbeat away from hers. With all of my strength I refrained from taking her hand in mine, but the weakness in me outstretched my little finger so that it gently brushed the side of Liz’s little finger. As it did I felt shivers up my spine – nice shivers. As I looked over to Liz I saw her close her eyes momentarily, before a small smile crept over her lips.

I couldn’t tell you what the movie was about, from then on my entire body was concentrating on those millimetres of our skin that were touching. And while it was only millimetres, it felt as though our body was one.

Liz POV

I was in heaven. For a whole hour I was in heaven. I can’t even begin to describe the feeling of having Max so close to me – touching me. I felt like I was alive for the first time in years.

But it didn’t take long for it to look as though my world was crashing down around me - another hour to be exact. We had left the theatre and Max and I had parted company, and I’ll admit that I had walked home with a spring in my step. Max and I had made progress, it was a small step but it was progress.

Later that night when I was drawing the curtains, ready to climb into bed, Max climbed onto my balcony. I don’t know what I was expecting, but a few scenarios raced through my head – all of which involved kissing.

None of the scenarios included the following words…

“Liz. I want you to leave Roswell.” Max blurted.
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) Ch 44 26/8/08

Post by Oz »

Here's the last few chapters again, and my latest update.

Liz POV

“I’m sorry, what?” I asked him to repeat himself. I had heard him clearly enough the first time, but what he had said had been too unexpected – especially after those tender moments we had shared in the dark at the theatre.

“I want you to leave Roswell.” Max repeated.

“What-why?” I asked.

“Because I can’t do this anymore.” Max replied.

“Do what exactly?” I prompted.

“Keep telling myself that I don’t need you anymore. Keep telling myself that I don’t care. Keep telling myself …” Max trailed off, looking away.

“Then don’t. Stop lying to yourself and to me.” I replied. It was not like me to be so blunt, but I had a feeling that this was our ‘now-or-never’ moment and I might not get another chance.

“It’s not that simple.” Max sighed.

“It can be.” I replied.

“No. It can’t.” Max shook his head fervently. “Do you realise how long it took me to get over you the last time you left? Years. Many years. And the only way I was able to move on with my life was to shut off my heart. And now your back…”

“And now I’m back...” I nodded.

“… and you are making it so hard not to open myself up again.”

“Then don’t fight it.” I replied, taking a step closer. “Stop fighting.”

“I have to.” Max replied, his face practically contorting with the sheer will power not to let me break down his defences. “I’m the King. I can’t be vulnerable. I have to be strong for my people and do what is right by them.”

“We are stronger together.” I pointed out. “You heard the voice too - ‘the King and Queen are united as one’.”

“If we are stronger together, why have we never been able to stick together?” Max asked. “We only seem to manage to hurt each other… And not to mention our being together could bring about the end of the world…”

“Only if we let it.” I replied defiantly. “We have a chance to make things right, and I’m sick of running instead of standing my ground and using the knowledge I have been given to make things right. We are supposed to be together, I know it, and together we can fix this.”

“I can’t take that risk.” Max shook his head. “I can’t trust that you won’t turn around in the next minute and head for the hills. I can’t wake up alone again.”

That was it. Max’s fear and lack of trust all went back to me leaving Roswell the day after the dupes disappeared to Antar. The day Zan warned me of our future. I didn’t blame Max’s trepidation about trusting me again after just up and leaving like I did.

“I’m not going anywhere.” I promised. “I will never leave you – I promise.”

“I can’t...” He replied dejectedly.

“Yes you can.” I replied, slowly lifting a hand and placing it softly on his cheek, caressing it with the slightest movement of my thumb. It was enough to make him break.

“Please don’t…” Max whispered, tears streaming from his eyes. I had never seen him look so vulnerable.

I slowly raised the other hand and cupped his other cheek so that I could bring his lips down to mine.

“I don’t want to be hurt again…” Max whimpered.

“I would never… never again.” I promised, his lips almost touching mine. “I’ve never stopped loving you.”

That was the moment that all of his resolve broke down and his lips touched mine. Not the passionate crashing of lips that we had shared on my balcony when I had first returned to town. No, this was gentle and tender – the kind of kiss that could restore and heal rather than tear down and break.

“So is this the beginning of the end of the world?” Max asked after the kiss had ended.

“Let’s find out together.” I replied.

Max POV

As my eyes fluttered open it took me a few seconds to recognise my surroundings. A smile crept over my face – that’s right, Liz’s bedroom.

We had spent a long time the night before talking through everything – the past, what we were feeling now, and of course what our future would now hold. In all of that we couldn’t help but talk about the most pressing issue we faced with our decision to try and be together – Tess.

After much debate, we both agreed that the only way forward, at least for the short to medium term, was to keep Liz and my relationship a secret from Tess. It was as important than ever that Tess remained in Roswell, and Tess had made it clear that she would leave at the first sign of Liz and I resuming our relationship. Until we could find a better solution, we knew we would have to make some sacrifices to ensure Tess stayed on the scene.

And I had already potentially blown our secrecy by spending the night at Liz’s, but it was so worth it – just to be able to watch her sleep. I glanced over to Liz’s side of the bed, expecting to see her sound asleep under the covers, but her side of the bed was empty. On her pillow was a note.

I couldn’t help but feel some trepidation as I reached for the note hesitantly – having vivid flash backs to the last time Liz left Roswell. Even after voicing my fears the night before, and having Liz promise to never leave me again, I couldn’t help but catch my breath and attempt to stay my beating heart.

‘Max,

Didn’t want to wake you. I had to open the Crashdown for breakfast. Come down when you are ready and I’ll have a steaming hot cup of coffee ready waiting for you.

Love Liz’

Saying that I breathed a sigh of relief was an understatement. I know I shouldn’t doubt her now, but I couldn’t help it. I guess my insecurities were still there – just buried a little deeper than before.

I clambered off the bed and quickly put on my jacket and shoes, splashed some water on my face and headed downstairs. Stealing a glance through the window in the door from the back room into the restaurant, I watched Liz serving behind the counter. She was laughing at something Bryce had said, and I couldn’t help but feel a pang of jealousy. I knew there was nothing between Liz and Bryce to be jealous about – Liz had made it very clear to me that she felt absolutely nothing for the guy. It was the fact that he was free to make her laugh anytime he wanted to, whereas I couldn’t even acknowledge her as more than an acquaintance in public, let alone make her laugh so hard that her face lit up.

As I continued to watch, Liz deliberately turned in my direction, the connection we shared making her aware of my close proximity. As she looked over she didn’t smile, didn’t show any recognition in her eyes, but made a very slight movement with her index finger across her throat. It was a sign we had come up with the night before to indicate that Tess was there and that I needed to stay away.

Backing away from the door, I took the back door out into the alley and then walked around to the main street, intending on leaving the Crashdown and heading home. I would have loved nothing more than to have gone back into the Crashdown for breakfast as I had planned, but I was still wearing the same clothes that I had on the night before – and without an alibi for where I had been all night. Speaking of which... I pulled out my cell phone.

“Michael, hey, can you do me a favour?” I asked.

“Depends – what is it?” Michael asked.

“If Tess asks – I was with you last night. We stayed up watching Braveheart and I fell asleep on your couch – okay?”

“There’s a slight problem with that.” Michael replied.

“You’re with Tess now and you’ve already told her you don’t know where I am?” I guessed.

“Yeah.” Michael replied.

“Okay. Thanks anyway.” I replied. “Are you there with anyone else?”

“I’m waiting for Isabel.” Michael replied.

“Thanks man.” I said, hanging up the phone, and immediately dialling Isabel’s number.

“Izzy, Hi. It’s me.” I announced. “Can you do me a favour?”

“Sure.” Isabel replied. She sounded so accommodating, but I knew that I wouldn’t hear the end of it once she heard more.

“When you see Tess at the Crashdown could you casually mention that I spent the night on your couch?”

“Where were you really when you were pretending to sleep on my couch?” Isabel asked predictably.

“With Liz.” I answer honestly – there was no point even trying to keep the truth from Isabel.

“What the hell were you doing with Liz?!” Isabel practically screamed down the phone. It wasn’t as though she disliked Liz – she just understood what was at stake by us being together.

“I can’t not be with her Isabel. It would be like choosing not to breathe.” I replied – really not keen to go into it too much, but knowing the true romantic hidden deep within Isabel’s usually icy façade couldn’t argue with such an explanation.

“I hope you know what you are doing.” Isabel warned.

“I’m confident I do.” I replied, willing my voice not to falter.

“Okay. But before I do this, we need to come up with a better story. Why would you fall asleep on my couch?” Isabel asked.

“Because when I dropped you home for the movies I came inside and we got talking about the ‘good ol’ days’, and you dragged out some home movies that Dad had taken, and one thing led to another, and it was too late at night for me to drive home.”

“Okay – that at least sounds like something I would do. Actually, we should do that for real soon, I haven’t watched them in years.” Isabel started getting excited.

“Thanks Isabel. I’m hanging up now.” I rolled my eyes and hung up the phone.

After hanging up the phone, I really intended on going straight home, but the opportunity of seeing Liz again – even if from afar, was a far too tempting proposition. So rather than heading home, I turned back towards the Crashdown and walked through the front doors.

“Where have you been?” Tess asked as soon as I was within earshot.

“At Isabel’s. She should be here any minute.” I replied, noticing Tess looking me up and down – obviously noting the fact I was still in yesterday’s clothes. “She put me to sleep making me watch endless hours of old footage from my dad’s handycam. It was like a long drawn out slide night without the fun and excitement. I need a coffee.” I said, using the excuse to look over to the counter. To my disappointment, Liz was no where in sight.

“Well I’ve got a double-shift today so I won’t be home until early tomorrow morning.” Tess replied dispondently.

“Really? That’s a shame.” I replied, using all of my might to try and sound disappointed rather than ecstatic at the thought of being able spend the night with Liz again.

“Hey everyone!” Isabel said cheerily as she joined us at our booth in the Crashdown. “Max I dug out some more videos that we didn’t get a chance to watch last night.”

“Great.” I grimaced.

“Are you guys ready to order?” Liz’s voice asked from behind me. I had to restrain myself from turning around to look at her, but was rewarded for my restraint by Liz leaning past me to top up Michael and Tess’ cups with coffee. She also pulled out an extra cup, placed it in front of me and filled it, as promised, with steaming hot coffee. As she straightened up, she brushed past my shoulder and the electricity that I felt from that one sliver of a touch gave me goosebumps.

I wasn’t sure if Liz had felt it too, but I could only guess that she had blushed at the touch, because the next thing I knew Isabel was commenting on Liz’s appearance.

“Hi Liz. You’re looking particularly lovely today.” Isabel grinned. “You’re practically glowing. What’s your secret?”

Liz looked at Isabel quickly to see if she was being serious, before answering- “I guess I just had a great sleep last night, that’s all.”

“Max and I were up until all hours watching old home videos – weren’t we Max?” Isabel nudged me in the ribs, and giving Liz a surreptitious wink to let Liz know that she knew exactly what was going on.

“Sounds like fun.” Liz replied, holding her pen to her pad indicating that the small talk was over and she just wanted to take our order. I didn’t blame her for wanting to get away from the scrutinising gaze of Isabel as soon as possible.

“Can I get a stack of pancakes with maple syrup?” I asked, only glancing up and making eye contact for a second – but oh that second was worth it. I started to think we were being naïve that we could keep our relationship a secret from Tess, given that I couldn’t stop thinking about how my life would end if I couldn’t find a way of touching Liz again – even just for a second.

Liz walked away once the rest of the table had placed their orders, and with her departure I tried to focus on the conversation at hand – particularly listening to whatever Tess was currently going on about. It had something to do with her intern at the hospital – a girl that looked like Liz actually, with brown hair and brown eyes, although they didn’t light up and sparkle like Liz’s did when she was truly happy…

“Earth to Max?” Tess interrupted by thoughts of Liz.

Oh crap. I couldn’t keep my thoughts off of Liz for one second. This was going to be so much harder than we had expected …

Liz POV

“What’s got you in such a good mood?” Bryce asked as I attempted to wipe the grin that had been planted on my face since I had woken up that morning.

“Nothing.” I replied, although not without a smile, “I just slept well, that’s all.”

“I always sleep well - that’s why I’m so beautiful … because I get my beauty sleep... Get it? Earth to Liz?” Bryce said, waving his hand in front of my face.

“Yeah I get it.” I replied distractedly.

Did I mention that Tess had just walked into the restaurant? Or that the unmoveable grin had just been removed from my face? Or that Tess was walking towards me at that moment?!

She knows. Oh God she knows…

“Hey Liz. You haven’t seen Max this morning have you?” Tess asked.

“No, sorry, should I have?” I pleaded ignorance – just in case she really didn’t know and it was just a coincidence that she chose this morning to come and speak to me for the first time since our little chat when I first returned to Roswell.

“He left early this morning without having breakfast, so I thought he may have come here.” Tess replied.

“I haven’t seen him. Maybe he grabbed something at the hospital?” I suggested, knowing that Max wasn’t due at work until later in the day, but Tess didn’t know that I knew that. Man, this was going to get confusing to keep all of the lies straight.

“Okay, thanks anyway.” Tess smiled before taking a seat with Michael who had just entered the Crashdown.

“Did I sense some sort of tension between the two of you?” Bryce asked once Tess was out of earshot.

“N-no.” I stammered. “Why would you say that?”

“I’m just a really good observer and I noticed you back stiffen as though you were preparing either for a fight or to hightail it out of here.” Bryce explained.

“Okay, so maybe there was a little tension …” I admitted. Damn I’m going to have to be more careful if an almost-stranger could tell something was up.

“Let me guess. You were the head cheerleader in highschool and she was the bitchy underling always looking for an opportunity to usurp your position and take your throne?” Bryce guessed.

Throne? …‘The King and Queen are united as one’

Overcoming my shock at his use of word – a word that hit a little too close to the truth at the moment, I dismissed it as a coincidence.

“Me, a cheerleader? I thought you said you were a good observer?” I smiled at the thought of firstly me in a cheerleading costume, and secondly, of Tess coming second to me. Even though Max had recently chosen to be with me, I couldn’t help but feel that I could come first in anything.

“Okay, that was a lousy guess but I didn’t have much time to work on it. So what was it then, you were both fighting over the same boy?”

“Something like that.” I replied, not meeting his eye but concentrating on wiping down the counter in front of me.

“Still fighting over the same boy?” Bryce asked in a lower, more serious voice. “Max?”

“No.” I replied a little too quickly. The look on Bryce’s face told me that he didn’t believe me, so I added reluctantly “It’s ancient history.”

“But some wounds don’t heal?” Bryce asked, placing a hand on mine.

“Wounds heal, but memories don’t necessarily disappear.” I replied, before pulling my hand away.

“Well. I think she looks a bit like a gerbil.” Bryce added, trying to lighten the mood. His comment, one which I had heard from Michael on more than one occasion, couldn’t help but put a smile back on my face.

“That’s a horrible thing to say.” I replied, trying to chastise him unable to suppress a laugh.

At that moment I felt a familiar warmth flood by body just under my skin, and I instinctively turned towards the door to the back room. As expected, Max was watching me from the window. My heart leapt at the vision of him but, remembering exactly who was in the restaurant with me, I had to make sure Max didn’t choose that moment, or that method, of making his entrance.

Surreptitiously I indicated to him that Tess was in the restaurant, aptly with one finger across my throat as though suggesting that Max’s entrance at that moment would lead to the execution of our relationship.

Giving a quick nod, he backed away and I couldn’t help but feel disappointed that I wouldn’t get to see him for breakfast. If I had known that, I would have woken Max up before I started work, just so I could hear him tell me that he hadn’t changed his mind about wanting to try to be together again – that it was going to be worth all the effort. I guess I would have to wait until we could find a moment to be alone again.

“So what did you think of the movie last night?” Bryce asked, changing the topic.

“Don’t you have tables to serve?” I sighed, wanting a moment by myself to clear my thoughts.

“Yes Maam!” Bryce saluted before grabbing his order pad and heading for the other side of the restaurant.

I looked over to Tess and Michael knowing that I should take their order too, but decided instead to head for the back room. If I was lucky Max’s scent would still be on my pillow…

A few minutes later, I was at the back room door, stealing myself to walk back into the restaurant and see Tess again. I needed to make sure that my demeanour betrayed nothing. Once I had myself under control, all my work became undone when I saw Max boldly walk into the restaurant and take a seat as though it was the most natural thing in the world for him to be there.

And I guess it was natural - for those who didn’t know any better. So I walked up to Max’s booth, also trying to act as natural as possible.

“Are you guys ready to order?” I asked, choosing to stand slightly behind Max so that I wouldn’t be tempted to look at those soulful eyes. But I couldn’t resist the temptation of brushing past Max as I poured him a cup of coffee. The sensation of his skin on mine was enough to make me struggle to repress a gasp. Why did one sliver of a touch feel like a bolt of lightening through my veins? The connection we had was so strong that it was going to be impossible to hide from anyone.

“Hi Liz. You’re looking particularly lovely today.” Isabel grinned. “You’re practically glowing. What’s your secret?”

I looked at Isabel with a mix of surprise and confusion. Did she know? Had Max told her that we were together? Or was it so obvious that it was written all over my face. Stumbling for an appropriate response, I replied “I guess I just had a great sleep last night, that’s all.”

“Max and I were up until all hours watching old home videos – weren’t we Max?” Isabel nudged Max in the ribs, and gave me a wink. Okay, she did know.

I watched Isabel curiously to determine whether I should be worried that I was going to cop the rathe of the Ice Queen. But Isabel didn’t seem to upset by the news, and almost seemed quite excited.

“Sounds like fun.” Liz I replied, holding my pen to my order pad, hoping to get away from the table, and the scrutinising gaze of Isabel, and especially Tess, as soon as possible.

“Can I get a stack of pancakes with maple syrup?” Max asked, glancing up for only a second – but in that second all of my doubts about his ‘morning-after’ feelings were put to rest. His eyes betrayed so much feeling in that one second that I felt that I was floating on air.

Somehow I managed to compose myself to take everyone else’s order, before quickly making my getaway to the safety of the counter.

Did we really think we would be able to keep our relationship from Tess? I couldn’t even keep my emotions under control after one glance. This was going to be so much harder than we had expected …
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) Ch 44 26/8/08

Post by Oz »

Thanks everyone. I've been a good girl and written a nice long part for you for once!

Liz POV

“Tell me something about you that I don’t know.” I prompted Max. We were lying on his couch watching an old black and white movie that neither of us was paying attention too. I was personally too engrossed in his hand that was intertwined with mine. It was coarse and worn yet so gentle in mine – betraying the hard life of a young king who was just trying to survive.

It was probably a risky move being in the house that Max shared with Tess, but she was pulling a double shift at the hospital, so we were pretty much guaranteed that she would not walk in on us. On the off chance she did come home, we had the movie on as a cover – we could hang out as friends, couldn’t we?

“I hate peas.” Max replied, quoting a line from one of my favourite Heath Ledger movies.

“Be serious.” I replied, playfully slapping him.

“Okay, let’s see… When I was ten years old I ran away from home.” Max replied.

“Really?” I asked. That was definitely something I didn’t know.

“I still wasn’t sure about the Evans’ – I still felt of myself as the unwanted stray that had somehow found its way to their doorstep. Isabel was my only family and we had just had a major fight – I can’t even remember what it was over. Anyway, I packed my backpack with all of my personal belongings, which wasn’t much, and climbed out of my bedroom window.”

“Where did you go?” I asked.

“I was going to head for the bus station, but I didn’t get any further than the park.” Max explained.

“Why not?”

“Because something caught my eye.” Max replied.

“What was it?” I asked.

“It was you.”

“Me?” I asked confused.

“Yeah. I saw you playing with Maria and Alex, and you glanced over to me. You gave me the sweetest little smile that made me feel that even if I was all alone, I still had a home in Roswell.” Max explained.

“Max…” I sighed, squeezing his hand tighter. How could he have never told me this story before?

“Okay, it’s your turn. Tell me something about you that I don’t know.” Max requested, trying to change the subject.

“I can do better than that. I can show you.” I replied, placing my index finger on the vein that ran down the back of Max’s hand. With a small amount of concentration, I was able to make that vein begin to glow green, and the little ball of light quickly spread up the length of his arm before disappearing over the back of his shoulder.

“How did you-?” Max asked, staring at me in wonder.

“I’ve learnt how to control my powers over the years.” I replied.

“My arm feels tingly.” Max said, holding up this arm to view from all sides. “It feels … indescribable.”

“It’s nice that I can finally touch you without lighting up like the Fourth of July.” I smiled.

“I guess that means you’re not angry at me anymore.” Max smiled in return.

“I guess not.”

“So tell me … what do you feel?” Max asked shyly.

“Peace.” I replied.

“Peace?” Max repeated, obviously expecting me to say love or even happiness.

“Yeah. I feel like I’m finally where I was always destined to be.” I smiled. “I feel like the part of my soul that has been wandering the earth searching for its other half can finally rest knowing that it has found what it has been looking for.”

“I know exactly what you mean.” Max replied.

“Are you still scared that I’ll hurt you again?” I asked.

“Petrified.” Max replied honestly.

“Do you… do you ever wish that I hadn’t returned to Roswell?” I asked. “Your life would have been simpler.”

“But it would have been empty.” Max replied. “The only thing that I could wish is that you had never left Roswell in the first place – that I could have been the man you needed me to be.”

“You were just a boy, and I didn’t trust you when I should have. I’m just as much to blame.” I confessed.

“Well, for the record, I’m sorry.” Max apologised.

“Me too.” I replied. “I really just want to get to a place where we can heal each other.”

“I know what would be a good start.” Max replied huskily.

“What’s that?” I raised an eyebrow.

Without answering, Max slowly disentangled himself from his position with me on the sofa, and proceeded towards the other end of the sofa where he took up position with one of my feet in his hands and proceeded to massage it.

“Ohh that’s good.” I groaned.

“What about this?” Max asked as I felt my foot warm under his touch and flood over me like a warm blanket. Any lingering tension I had felt in my head and shoulders from my day at work lifted immediately.

“Are you using your powers?” I challenged.

“Maybe.” Max grinned.

“Well, I could get used to this.” I replied, closing my eyes so I could just concentrate on Max’s touch. “You’d better watch out – I could come to expect this at the end of every day.”

“That would be alright by me.” Max replied.

Then a heavy grey elephant appeared in the room.

I opened my eyes and noticed that Max was looking just as despondent as I felt. How could we spend more nights like this when we were forced to hide our relationship from everyone?

“I guess it had to happen eventually.” I blurted.

“What?” Max asked.

“Tess had to interrupt our night.”

We were both silent for a while until I figured we might as well talk about it.

“Do you really think this can work? I mean, keeping our relationship a secret from Tess?” I asked.

“I don’t know. All I know is that I can’t not be with you, and if the fate of the world relies on Tess staying in Roswell, then I don’t think we have a choice. Until we are confident that she would stay despite us being together, we can’t take that risk.” Max replied.

“What does she really mean to you?” I asked hesitantly, not sure if I really wanted to hear his answer. “I know you told me last night that you were just friends, but there has to be more to it than that.”

“She’s my best friend.” Max replied. “When you left all those years ago, I didn’t have anyone. Isabel and Michael were always on my back about being the leader, but Tess was just there for me. We grew close over the years.”

“Did you ever … you know?” I asked, the thought making me feel sick to the stomach.

“No. The bond… It was impossible.” Max replied.

“But you wanted to.” I added.

“I won’t lie to you and say the thought had never crossed my mind.”

I pulled my foot away and stood up from the sofa and paced the room a little. When I stopped I was face to face with a photo on the mantelpiece of Max and Tess with huge smiles on their faces looking truly happy.

“You were gone for seven years Liz…” Max justified himself. “I was lonely, and Tess was always here. She was the closest … she deserved more than I could give her.”

“I see.” I nodded, and then added, “I understand Max – it’s only natural. It’s just hard to hear, that’s all.”

“What about you? Has there ever been anyone else?” Max asked.

“No. Never.”

“Is it wrong of me to be relieved at hearing that?” Max asked.

“Of course not.” I replied, still unable to shake the image of Max and Tess, despite the fact that nothing ever actually happened between them.

“Can I just say that I’m glad that I was never able to go through with it with anyone else? It will make being together so much more special.” Max admitted.

“So you’ve thought about it? Making love with me, I mean.” I asked, putting my hands on either side of Max’s waist while he put his hands on my shoulders.

“Of course I have.” Max smiled before tucking a fallen strand of hair out of my eyes. “How could I not?”

“I’m so happy to hear that. I am. But…”

“But what?” Max asked hesitantly.

“But I don’t think I’m ready.” I finished.

“That’s okay Liz, because neither am I.” Max agreed. “I just want to spend some time getting to know each other again before we rush into anything. So how about we put on another movie and just hang out for a while?”

“Sounds great.” I smiled. “Why don’t I go and get us something to eat while you choose another DVD?” I suggested, heading for the kitchen.

“There should be some microwave popcorn in the pantry.” Max called.

As I opened the pantry door, I suddenly received a vision that almost bowled me over.

“Can you find it?” Max called.

“Uh, no.” I replied. “I think you may have run out.”

“Typical. Tess has a fetish for popcorn with chilli and sugar.” Max replied.

I tried not to let my skin crawl at the mention of Tess’ name.

“I’ll run down to the convenience store and grab some more.” I offered, shaking the thought of Tess.

“Don’t go to any trouble.” Max pleaded.

“It’s no trouble.” I smiled sweetly, grabbing my purse. “I’ll be back in a jiffy.”

“Can I help you Miss?” The cashier behind the counter asked.

“The man at the back of the store has a gun and is going to demand the money in the register.” I warned in a whisper, looking over my shoulder. “You need to call the police.”

“What are you talking about? How do you know that?” The cashier asked.

“I just do okay. Trust me.” I pleaded.

At that moment the man at the back of the store sidled up behind me.

“Empty the register. Now!” the robber demanded, pointing his gun towards me and then towards the cashier, and then back to me.

“Relax man.” The cashier tried to act calmly, while pretending to reach for the register as he instead pressed the panic button under the counter to call the police.

Unfortunately he wasn’t discreet enough.

“You’ll pay for that old man.” The robber snarled, aiming his gun and the cashier.

Fearing that the man was going to fire his weapon, I lunged at the robber, hoping to aim his gun away from the cashier. The robber retaliated and sent me flying across the floor – which was the last thing I remember before my world went black.

Beep … beep … beep …

I opened my eyes and took in my surroundings. White walls, white floors, white linen. I was either in a hospital or I was in heaven – I wasn’t sure which.

“You’re awake.” Tess’ voice said beside me.

If this was heaven, what the hell was Tess doing here?

“Where am I?” I asked, trying to sit up.

“Don’t move.” Tess ordered, encouraging me to lie back down. “You’ve got a head injury.”

“What happened?” I asked, touching my head and feeling the bandages.

“You don’t remember?” Tess asked.

“I remember going to the convenience store to get some popcorn.” I replied.

“There was an armed hold-up at the convenience store. The cashier said you tried to stop the cashier from being shot.”

“Really?” I replied. I couldn’t remember that, but I guess it sounded like something I would do.

“You haven’t called my parents have you?” I asked, worried about calling them back from their holiday for no reason. My ulterior motive was to surreptitiously discover whether there was any way Max would know where I was – he must be so worried.

“No. I called Maria and Michael. There was a little situation we had to deal with.” Tess replied.

“A situation?” I asked confused.

“You lost some blood.” Tess explained, lowering her voice. “We had to make sure that no one got a hold of it.”

That’s right, my blood is no longer normal. I had forgotten about that.

“We are lucky that I was the doctor assigned to you, otherwise who knows what would have happened.” Tess observed.

“I’m sorry to have caused so much trouble.” I apologised.

“Just try not to be a hero again, okay?” Tess smiled.

I smiled. Did trying to save the world by keeping Tess in Roswell count as being a hero?

“Hey, you’re awake!” Maria exclaimed, interrupting my little moment with Tess. “You had us so worried.”

“Sorry Maria.” I apologised again.

“No problem Chica. Disaster averted.” Maria hugged me. “We may not even have to tell Max about this.”

“Max doesn’t know I’m here?” I asked, trying not to sound too invested in the answer.

“Not yet. Michael was going to call him, but I convinced him that we could handle it. You know how Max gets when one of us takes uncalculated risks that brings unnecessary attention to the pod-squad.” Maria replied.

I hesitated for a moment. Maria had a point, but I had to believe that Max would be more concerned about my safety than the fact that the risk I took could have exposed us all. He must be going out of his mind with worry – it was the longest trip to the store in history.

“I think you should call him.” I announced.

“Are you sure? I don’t think you don’t need any more friction in your relationship at the moment.” Maria replied concerned.

“You and I have got a lot of catching up to do, but right now you really need to call him.” I stressed, trying to convey to Maria how important it was without actually saying the words out loud – I wasn’t sure how far away Tess was at that moment.

“Okaaayy.” Maria replied, indicating that she had no idea what was going on but that she would act under the assumption that I knew best. “I’ll have to go out into the foyer.” Maria said, pointing to the large sign on the wall advising that mobile phones had to be switched off in the emergency department.

Max POV

“Maria?” I asked in a rush when my cell rang with Maria’s name as the caller ID. “I’ve been trying to call you and Michael all night.”

“We’ve been at the hospital.” Maria explained.

“Is Liz okay?” I asked.

“How did you know I was calling about Liz?” Maria asked.

“A lucky guess.” I replied. Truth was that I knew something was wrong the moment it happened. By the time I got to the convenience store Liz was already on her way to the hospital in an ambulance, and with Tess working in the emergency department I knew that I shouldn’t follow her there.

“She has a head injury.” Maria explained. “Apparently there was a hold up at the convenience store. I guess she must have had one of her visions or something because she would have had to have gone out of her way to be across that side of town…” Maria rambled.

“But she is going to be okay?” I asked impatiently.

“I think so. Tess is looking after her.”

“Good. That’s good.” I replied, wondering whether I should be grateful that Liz was in capable hands, or disappointed that there was no chance I could sneak in and see Liz without Tess knowing.

“Liz asked me to call you.” Maria explained. “Do you want to tell me why?”

“Not particularly. Not now anyway.” I replied. I didn’t want to stand here gossiping to Maria – all I wanted to do was to see Liz. And the more I stood here, the more I was convinced that I could justifiably come in and see Liz to check on her without Tess getting suspicious that there was something more going on.

“I’m coming to see Liz.” I announced.

“Do you want Michael to come and pick you up?” Maria offered.

“No. I’m already at the hospital. I’ll see you soon.” I replied hanging up the phone.

Did I mention that I had been pacing outside the hospital for the last hour, debating or not whether I would risk everything by going inside? Turns out the answer was a resounding ‘yes’.

“Max? What are you doing here?” Tess asked, approaching me as I walked up the hallway.

“Maria called. She said that apparently Liz had come in with a head injury. I thought I should probably check to see that everything was okay.” I replied, wondering if she could sense the guilt I felt at not telling the whole truth.

“It’s okay, we’ve dealt with it.” Tess replied.

“Dealt with what?” I asked, not catching the reference.

“The blood.” Tess replied. “Michael has manipulated every drop of Liz’s blood to ensure that nothing is left to expose us.”

Of course. That is what I should be worried about, but all I wanted was to make sure that Liz was okay – damn the consequences.

“That’s good.” I replied. “Sounds like you’ve got everything under control here then. How long do you expect Liz to have to stay in hospital?”

“She should really stay overnight, but I can probably arrange for her to be discharged earlier, as long as someone can stay with her at all times over the next couple of days.” Tess offered. “I’m only on duty for another few hours, and its probably best not to risk one of the other doctors taking her obs in case they notice anything unusual about her physiology.”

“Good idea. Can you arrange it?” I asked, hoping to send Tess off with a task so that I could have a couple of unrestrained moments alone with Liz.

“Just after I check her vitals.” Tess replied, accompanying me into the room.

As I stepped into the hectic emergency department, my eyes were immediately drawn to Liz’s bed, and our eyes locked for a blink of a second. The moment was interrupted by Liz diverting her eyes the moment Tess appeared by my side.

“What happened?” I asked gruffly. I was doing every thing I could to suppress my feelings for Liz which unfortunately brought ‘Leader Max’ out in me.

“Apparently I tackled a robber at the convenience store on the corner of South and Main.” Liz replied meekly. “I don’t remember.”

“They’re talking about giving her a commendation.” Maria added.

“Did you have a vision?” I asked, lowering my voice.

“Yes.” Liz replied, not meeting my eye.

I clenched my fist. Why wouldn’t she have told me before she left on her own? Instead, she had to go out and be a vigilante at the risk to her own life.

“Liz…” I said in a warning tone.

“Don’t, okay? Just don’t.” Liz replied tearing up and I could sense that I was pushing things too far. It took all my strength not to sweep her up in my arms and tell her that I loved her and I was just glad that she was all right.

“Okay. Let’s just get you out of here.” I replied.

“I’m on it.” Tess announced, exiting the room.

“Thank God you’re okay.” I sighed, taking Liz’s hand in mine.

“Sorry for scaring you.” Liz apologised.

“You have no idea how worried I’ve been about you.” I admitted, brushing her hair away from Liz’s forehead and tucking it behind her ear.

“Does someone want to explain what’s going on here?” Maria asked, watching the interaction between myself and Liz.

“Not here.” I replied, taking a quick look around before planting a kiss on Liz’s forehead.

“Ohmygodyouguyshookedup!” Maria squeeled, causing a couple of the nurses in the room to look over at the commotion.

“Which we would like to keep to ourselves for the moment.” I explained.

“Roger. Won’t mention it again, except to say ‘yay!’” Maria squealed.

“What’s got you so happy?” Tess asked, appearing from behind me. I quickly dropped Liz’s hand, hoping Tess hadn’t seen it in mine.

“It’s all done. You can take Liz home. Just remember that someone need to stay with her around the clock for the next 24 hours. If there is any change to her condition then she will need to come back in immediately.” Tess warned.

“Come on honey. You’re coming home with me.” Maria said to Liz, grabbing Liz’s jacket and purse.

I couldn’t help but feel disappointed at not being able to offer to take Liz home.

“No Maria, I just want to go home to my own bed.” Liz argued.

“Okay.” Maria conceded. “I’ll take you home and I’ll sleep on the couch. Michael will open the restaurant in the morning.”

“I will?” Michael asked.

“Yes, you will.” Maria replied, elbowing Michael in the ribs.

“C’mon. Let’s get out of the place – it’s starting to give me the creeps.” Maria begged, leading Liz out of the emergency department.
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) Ch 45 4/9/08

Post by Oz »

Sorry for the wait - here is the next chapter!

Max POV

“What a night.” Tess sighed, walking into the lounge room with two steaming cups of hot chocolate. She passed one to me then took a seat opposite me on the sofa.

“What’s this?” Tess asked, feeling something jab her in the back. Stretching her hand around, she pulled out a stick of lip gloss – Liz’s.

“Isabel must have left that here today. You know how she is – can’t leave the house for 5 minutes without having to touch up her make up. I’ll give it back to her next time I see her.” I said, holding up my hand indicating Tess should throw it to me across the room, which she did. The moment I touched it I had a flash of Liz’s face and smelt the sweet scent of her lips, and had to try with all my might to try not to let a smile creep over my face. Instead, I turned my attention to the swirling froth topping my hot chocolate.

I must have been lost in my thoughts, because by the time Tess eventually spoke up I found that my hot chocolate was cold.

“You’re thinking about her aren’t you?”

“W-what? Who?” I stammered. Could she read minds now too?

“Liz.” Tess stated.

“I. Um…” I hesitated. What was I supposed to say to that?

“I can’t believe she would take on that robber on her own…” Tess began, obviously not needing me to reply. “She’s either very brave or very stupid.”

“She was reckless.” I stated.

Yet so brave. There are many people in the world that would have done what she did – risking her life to save a complete stranger.

“She could have been killed.” Tess agreed.

If I believed in God I would thank him that she wasn’t.

“She could have exposed us all.” I said instead.

And it was true. If Tess hadn’t been the one assigned to her when she was brought into the ER, there would have been some very serious questions about the abnormalities in Liz’s blood.

“What was she even doing at the convenience store over this side of town?” Tess observed. “It’s not really in her part of the neighbourhood.”

“Maybe she was on her way over to Maria’s place. I heard her mention something about popcorn.” I suggested. Okay, so maybe it was only on the way to Maria’s if she was taking the long way.

“Well, I guess it was lucky for the store clerk that she was there. Who knows what would have happened to him otherwise.” Tess shrugged.

“Yeah, I guess it was.” I agreed.

Okay, so I had to admit that Liz’s methods were effective, no matter how reckless.

“You still have feelings for her don’t you?” Tess asked, her question catching me by surprise.

I had to choose my words very carefully.

“Liz was my first love, so she will always hold a special place in my heart.” I replied. “But we could never go back to how it used to be between us.”

And it was true - I was hoping we could be much more. What we used to be was toxic, for the lack of a better word. We hurt each other so much, and I never wanted to go back to that place.
“So, you’re friends?” Tess asked hesitantly.

“I guess we are working towards that. It is going to be a slow process though – there’s a lot of baggage.” I replied.

“I was going to pay Liz a visit tomorrow, just to see how she was doing. I was going to ask if you wanted to come, but maybe it’s not such a good idea…”

“No!” I replied, a little too quickly, so added a more restrained, “No. I’ll come with you. I would like to see how she is doing, and I need to make sure that she won’t put herself, or the rest of us, in that position again.”

“Okay. Well, how about we go after your shift tomorrow?” Tess suggested. “I’ll meet you at the hospital and we’ll head over to the Crashdown.”

“Great.” I replied.

My job between now and then – work out how I can be in the same room as both Liz and Tess without wearing my heart on my sleeve.

Liz POV

The piercing black stare of blood shot eyes.

The swing of an arm.

The metal of the gun barrel hitting my cheek with such force that it sent me flying across the room.

A tower of Coca-cola bottles bringing my flight to a crashing end.

A flash of light and a clap of thunder.

The wind howling and he rain crashing down on the dry desert ground.

A rumble as the earth opened.

A light, pulsing like a beacon, streaming up through the rubble.

A symbol, indistinct, alien, yet familiar.

Maria…

Maria?

“Liz? Psst Liz, are you awake?” Maria’s voice interrupted my dream before I could see enough to make sense of it. The initial images had plagued my mind since leaving the hospital – I guess my brain was starting to remember what had happened in the convenience store. The subsequent images were confusing and indistinct.

“Hey.” I said, squinting against the light that was flooding the room.

“How are you feeling?” Maria asked.

“A little better, thanks.” I replied.

“Good. That means you are well enough to give me all the goss.” Maria demanded, taking up position cross-legged on the end of my bed.

“What goss?” I asked, acting oblivious even though I knew exactly what she meant.

All she needed to do was raise her eyebrow for me to spill the entire story. As I told it, you couldn’t wipe the smile from her face – like a kid at Christmas.

“The world is finally as it should be.” Maria sighed happily at the end of my tale.

“Not quite.” I sighed despondently. “If we could just be together out in the open without the fear of Tess leaving…”

“You’ll work it out somehow.” Maria reassured me. “I know it.”

“I hope so.” I replied. “I don’t know if I could give him up now…”

“Give who up?” A voice came from the door.

“Bryce.” I said shocked to see Bryce walk into my bedroom.

“I just came up to see how you were doing.” Bryce smiled. “And to let you know to take your time getting better. Michael’s going now, but I’ve got everything under control downstairs.”

“Thanks Bryce.” I smiled. That was one less thing I had to worry about.

“I’ve got to go and catch Michael before he goes.” Maria interrupted, obviously torn between seeing Michael, and staying to supervise me with a strange man in my bedroom.

“Thanks Maria.” I smiled, giving her a kiss on the cheek as she leant over to give me a hug.

I expected Bryce to quickly follow suit, but instead of lingering by the door or walking back out through it, he instead walked over and sat on the edge of my bed. Something about the way he did it made my skin involuntarily crawl. Maybe it was just because of the fact that he wasn’t Max.

“How are you doing, really?” Bryce asked sincerely.

“I’m fine.” I replied flippantly.

“No. How are you doing?” Bryce pushed. “And I’m not talking just about your physical injuries.”

“I’m fine.” I replied, although a little less convincing.

“You know, I know exactly what you are going through.” Bryce began.

“Y-you do?” I stammered. He knew what it was like to have these constant visions pressuring you to go out and risk your life or otherwise live with the knowledge that someone could die when you had the power to prevent it. He had to live with the threat that a mere blood test could change the course of his life forever?

“One of the many jobs I have held in the past two years was working in a video store in Memphis. It was about midnight and I was just about to close up for the night. There was only one guy left in the store – he’d spent the last twenty minutes scrolling through the adult movie section. He finally headed over the counter, and instead of handing over his movie selections, he put a gun in my face and threatened to blow it off if I didn’t empty the register.” Bryce explained.

“What did you do?” I asked.

“I did what he asked. I gave him all of the cash in the register.”

“And then what happened?” I prodded, sensing there was more to the story.

“He told me to put my hands on my head and walk to the back of the store. I-I then heard a shot ring out before I felt the burning pain.” Bryce choked over the memory.

“He shot you?” I asked incredulously.

“Yeah. Hit me in the shoulder. Bullet went right through.” Bryce announced, pulling his shirt off to reveal the wound. “I think he probably intended to kill me, so it must have been my lucky day. Just like it was yours.”

“How long did it take for you to get over it?” I asked.

“The wound healed in a few weeks, but I don’t think you ever really get over something like that. The memories stay with you forever and they change the way you live the rest of your life.” Bryce replied. “They can either make you scared of your own shadow, constantly living in fear, or they teach you that life is short, and you have a second chance to live life the way you always wanted to. It’s up to you what you do with them.”

I nodded. I could use this experience as an excuse not to try and save the world one person at a time, or I could proceed with more vigour and determination not to let people like the man in the convenience store wreaking havoc on people’s lives.

“Anyway, I’d better get back downstairs. I hope you’re feeling better soon Liz. Just remember that I’m here if you need to talk to someone.” Bryce said, leaning over to place a comforting hand on my shoulder before grabbing his shirt and pulling it back over his head.

Max POV

“Hh-hmm.” Tess coughed subtly to announce our arrival at Liz’s door. Me? I was too angry to speak. How dare Bryce touch Liz like that? Not to mention - what the hell was he doing without his shirt on?

“Oh, hey.” Bryce said turning around to find Tess and I standing in the doorway. “Come in. I was just leaving.”

And where did he get the nerve inviting us into Liz’s bedroom as though he had any kind of say over who could enter her inner sanctum?

“Thanks for everything Bryce.” Liz said as she waved him out, trying to sound casual while eyeballing my white knuckles – obviously worried that I wouldn’t be able to control myself if Bryce didn’t leave the room quickly enough.

“Anytime.” Bryce smiled before leaving the three of us alone.

“I didn’t realise you guys were so close.” Tess observed to Liz with a twinkle in her eye.

“We’re not. I mean, uh … he’s just been a really great help in the restaurant.” Liz stuttered looking embarrassed. If I didn’t have such a strong connection with Liz that pulsated with how she felt about me, I would have been almost worried that there was something going on between the two of them too. And that made me think – maybe that was a way of allying any doubts Tess may have about Liz and my relationship – if she thinks there is something going on between Liz and Bryce.

“That looked like more than just being helpful in the restaurant.” Tess smiled at me. Unsure of whether she was trying to judge my reaction or wanting me to agree with her, I quickly diverted the subject.

“How are you feeling?” I asked Liz, trying not to lace the question with too much love and concern that I was feeling for her.

“Great.” Liz replied, attempting to sit up before clutching her head and laying back down. “Okay maybe just a little sore and dizzy.”

“I can heal your head for you.” I offered, taking a step towards the bed without even waiting for her consent.

“No, that’s okay.” Liz replied, making a sideways glance at Tess.

“Pretend like I’m not even here.” Tess said, turning around and looking at Liz’s photo-board.

I sat on Liz’s bed, deliberately making sure that our legs were close enough to touch.

“I have to touch you…” I said, trying to sound as removed and offish as possible in the circumstances. I’m not sure if I succeeded.

Placing my hands on either side of Liz’s temples, I concentrated both on healing Liz’s pain as well as flooding her with as much feeling of love and comfort as possible.

What I didn’t expect was to be bombarded with images – one of which was unmistakably alien.

“You should feel much better now.” I stated, but unable to hide the look of confusion on my face.

“What is it?” Tess asked.

“N-nothing.” I stammered, pulling my hands away and reluctantly getting up from Liz’s bed knowing Tess’ eyes were on us. Oh how I wish she wasn’t here – I had so many questions.

“Thankyou.” Liz thanked me. “I feel better already.”

“You should probably still rest for the rest of the day.” Tess instructed. “Just in case.”

“Okay.” Liz nodded. “Thanks for everything – both of you.”

“No probs.” Tess smiled. “Just don’t go putting yourself in danger like that again. We might not be there to fix you up next time.”

“I’ll try and be more careful.” Liz promised.

Tess looked at me, obviously trying to work out if I was going to say anything – to give Liz a reprimand about being more carefully as I had previously indicated that I might. Realising that I was mute, she took the lead.

“Okay, we’ll let you get some rest.” Tess said, heading for the door and indicating that I should follow.

It was the last thing I wanted to do at that moment but I had no choice. My questions would have to wait.

“Thanks for coming.” Liz smiled briefly at Tess, and didn’t even look at me. I guess she was finding it as hard as I was to disguise her feelings in front of Tess – avoidance was easier.

As I was closing the door behind me, I snuck Liz one single glance and the look on her face and the feelings coming through in our connection said it all. She and I had a lot to talk about.

“What happened in there?” Tess asked as we were well out of earshot of Liz’s bedroom. “You looked as though you had seen a ghost.”

“No, nothing like that.” I lied.

“Well, something must have happened. You barely said a word when we were in there.” Tess replied.

“I guess we are further away from becoming friends again then I first thought.” I replied.

“You were able to talk to her at the hospital without any problem.” Tess observed. Damn.

“I guess it was seeing Bryce here. I just hadn’t considered that Liz might be seeing someone…” I replied, desperate to appease Tess’ curiosity.

“You’re not jealous are you?” Tess asked, trying to discover whether seeing Bryce had reared any feelings for Liz that I was keeping buried.

“Of course not.” I attempted a laugh. “It’s just weird that’s all. Seeing someone you used to love with someone else.”

“Tell me about it. It’s even harder to see someone you still love with someone else.” Tess attempted a smile.

Crap, I didn’t mean to steer the conversation in that direction.

“Well, it’s a good thing neither of us are seeing anybody then.” I replied with a grin, putting my arm loosely around Tess’ shoulder and giving her a squeeze. “What do you say pizza and a movie tonight?”

“Sounds great.” Tess smiled. “It feels like ages since we’ve both had a night off together.”

Not as long as it felt before I would be able to see Liz again.
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) Ch 46 29/9/08

Post by Oz »

Thanks for all the FB everyone! Please enjoy the next instalment...

Max POV

I woke to the sound of tapping on my bedroom window. I sighed with regret at the minutes of sleep I was losing, having only just gone to bed after watching a couple of movies with Tess. I had an early shift at the hospital in the morning too, so sleep was already at a premium.

“Michael, this better be good.” I complained, pulling back the curtain…

… to reveal Liz.

“Liz? What are you doing here? You should be home in bed.” I whispered, willing my brain not to picture her in bed. Get your mind out of the gutter Evans.

“I, I had to see you.” Liz stammered, and I couldn’t help but notice that she was having a hard time concentrating on my face – her eyes drawn to my naked chest.

“Come in.” I smiled, offering to help her over the threshold, all fear of Tess overhearing us momentarily forgotten.

But apparently Liz had other plans.

“Can you go somewhere with me?” Liz asked, not making a move.

“Sure.” I replied concerned – starting to get the hint that this wasn’t just a social visit. I found where I had left my clothes on the floor and pulled my jeans up over my boxers, before putting on my t-shirt. Throwing on my shoes and grabbing my keys, I climbed out of the window.

“What’s going on?” I asked, once we were sufficiently out of earshot of Tess’ bedroom window.

“It’s about what you saw when you healed me.” Liz stated, heading for the jeep.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

“To the desert. I have to show you something.” Liz replied.

Liz climbed into the passenger side of the jeep, while I took of the handbrake and put the car into neutral, pushing it down the driveway and onto the street so that Tess wouldn’t hear the car pulling out.

“Do you want to tell me what it is?” I asked, after starting the ignition and heading towards the highway.

“When we get there.” Liz replied.

“O-kay.” I replied. “Instead, why don’t you tell me how you’re doing? I haven’t really had the chance to talk.”

“I’m fine. Never better.” Liz replied, although distracted.

“You know you shouldn’t have gone to the convenience store alone, don’t you?” I couldn’t help but chastise. “Why didn’t you ask me to go with you?”

“I guess I’m so used to taking care of things on my own after all these years, that I thought I could handle it.” Liz replied. “I’m not in the habit of relying on anybody else.”

“Well, it’s about time you start. We’re a team now, you and me, we have to start trusting each other.”

“I know. I’m sorry. Next time I promise to take you with me.” Liz promised.

“So there will be a next time?” I confirmed. “I thought that this episode may have convinced you to be more careful.”

“I can’t change who I am. I’m given these visions for a reason – I have to use them to help others.” Liz replied adamantly.

“I’ve been given the ability to heal, but you don’t see me using it to help every Tom, Dick or Harry in the hospital. It’s called self preservation.” I replied.

“That’s different – unlike you, I can help people without exposing my ability.” Liz argued.

“Only because you got lucky this time. Tess won’t always be there to help you.”

“Thank God for that.” Liz replied under her breath.

I let the comment slide. We were trying to keep Tess around as long as possible, but that didn’t mean that Liz had to be happy about it.

Silence ensued.

“Do you want to tell me what Bryce was doing in your room today… shirtless.” I broached, changing the subject.

“Don’t you trust me?” Liz winked, turning my words around on me, but with a smile.

“Of course I do, I’m just curious.” I replied.

“He was showing me his scars from a gunshot wound. Apparently he was involved in an armed robbery too and wasn’t as lucky as I was.” Liz explained. “It was totally innocent I assure you.”

“On your part perhaps.” I added. “Anyway, it had Tess all excited. She was practically planning your wedding. So I was thinking…”

“No.” Liz replied.

“Just a couple of dates. It would get her off our backs if she thinks you’re with someone else.” I explained.

“Let me get this straight. You want me to date someone else so that you and I can be together?” Liz asked incredulously.

“I know it’s unorthodox, but it just might work. It’s the fate of the world we’re talking about here, and if we want to be together then we may have to make a few sacrifices along the way.”

“And you would be okay with this?” Liz asked.

I paused for a moment. Was I really okay with this?

“I would have to be.” I eventually replied. Half of me saying that it was necessary, the other half screaming that it was insane.

“Let me think about it.” Liz replied. “Pull off here.”

I swerved the jeep off the road and followed an unsealed track towards a familiar rock outcrop.

“The pod chamber?” I confirmed. “Why?”

“There’s something here.” Liz replied, jumping out of the car the moment it stopped.

“Liz wait!” I called, racing to catch up to where she was already scrambling up the rock. As I reached the top I watched as Liz placed her hand over the alien handprint and the door opened.

Liz could see my shock at her ability to open the door and just shrugged.

“I’m the Queen remember.” She smiled before climbing inside.

Following her, I was surprised to see that the pod chamber was still somewhat intact, after the Granolith blasted out of here all of those years ago. Michael had gone back a few times to look for any alien remnants, but I was so caught up in Liz’s second disappearance that I had never been back.

Bringing my thoughts back to the present, I noticed something unusual. There was a faint beep and a flashing light filling the chamber. Liz was already scrambling on her hands and knees to remove a pile of debris. Getting down on my knees I helped Liz pull away the last heavy rock to reveal an alien symbol in the sand. The same alien symbol I had seen when I had touched Liz earlier that day.

“How did you know where to find it?” I asked Liz.

“Whenever I close my eyes I see him – the last few seconds before I’m knocked unconscious. Those images are quickly followed by images of this symbol. After a whole afternoon of seeing the same thing, I eventually worked out where it was coming from.” Liz explained.

“What do you think it is?” I asked.

“I don’t know. But I think it wanted to be found.” Liz replied.

“You don’t think it is related to the attack in the store?” I asked. “The way the images follow on from your nightmare?”

“No.” Liz shook her head after thinking about it for a moment. “I mean, how can it be? I can’t get the images of his face out of my head, and so it is just a coincidence that they seem to coincide with the images of this symbol.”

“What do you think we should do?” I asked, watching the swirling lights emanate around the cave walls.

“We could try touching it.” Liz suggested.

“Okay. On the count of three?” I suggested, before counting, “One … two … three.”

Liz POV

As we touched the symbol, it felt as though the cave walls began to spin, and a huge pressure push us to the ground. As I opened my eyes, I noticed that the cave was somewhat different, and bustling with a hive of activity.

“Zan, is it true? Have the King and Queen returned?” A solider asked the man standing in command in the centre of the chaos.

The man turned around to reveal that it was in fact Zan, a few years older and decades more weathered. I wanted to run to him but the way that no one seemed concerned by Max and my sudden arrival, indicated that while we could see them, they couldn’t see us.

“Yes, the ship has just arrived. Unfortunately we were unable to reach it before Kivar and his men. I have sent an extraction team, but I do not hold out hope that we can get to them. They will be so heavily guarded by Kivar’s men. Their fate now rests on his mercy.” Zan replied sorrowfully.

“How did he even know they were coming?” The solider asked.

“I hate to say it, but I believe there is a spy among us.” Zan stated. “We had everything planned for months in secret, to whisk them to safety before Kivar even knew they were there. How he could have known exactly where they would be landing is too much of a coincidence.”

“What do you intend to do?” The solider asked.

“What we always do. Find every opportunity we can to bring down Kivar, its just that the urgency to do so has increased a hundred-fold. Without us, the King, Max as he is now known, and Liz will die.” Zan bowed his head.

“From what I have heard, it is not this Liz that you refer to that has accompanied the King. It is his Queen, Ava.”

Zan’s head shot up, that was obviously not what he was expecting to hear.

“Ava?” Zan confirmed. “That cannot be.”

“Yes. They are saying she is as beautiful as she was when she left.” The solider continued.

“That means that Liz … Liz is safe.” Zan replied with a smile.

The scene quickly changed, and without Max or I moving from our spot, we now found ourselves looking up at a large spacecraft, from which Max, Tess, Michael and Isabel were being led in chains.

“In what life did you ever think you could have beaten me.” A man, who I could only presume was Kivar, mocked Max as the soldiers marched him past. “I killed you once… I just might do it again.”

Max didn’t say a word, but kept his eyes raised, defiant.

“Where should we take them Sir?” one of the soliders asked Kivar.

“To the dungeons, where their fates will be decided.” Kivar replied.

We watched as the crowd disappeared into the distance, leaving Max and I alone by the ship.

“What now?” I asked Max.

“I don’t know.” Max answered, just as shocked as I was at where we were and what we were seeing.

“Wait, look there!” Max pointed up at the ship. From the dark, we could see the outlines of Max, Tess, Isabel and Michael appear, disable the few guards that had remained to guard the ship, then disappear into the nearby scrub.

“What the-?” I stammered, confused.

“Tess must have mindwarped everyone into believing that they had apprehended us, while we hid until it was safe to come out.” Max replied. “With the element of surprise, we would have a greater chance of defeating Kivar. Tess may have just saved our lives.”

Feeling sick to my stomach, the scene changed again to confirm Max was right.

“Long live the King! Love live the Queen!” The crowd cheered as Max and Tess were recrowned the King and Queen of Antar.

It was a very different picture to what I had seen in my earlier visions, where I was executed and Max was slaughtered.

The scene changed again, and Max and I found ourselves back in the pod chamber, lying on the floor where the alien symbol had been. It was now no longer there, as though our visit to the future was a once and only offer.

“Wow.” Max said, summing up exactly how I felt too.

“So I guess Tess is pretty vital hey.” I tried to say light heartedly, but it fell a little flat. What were Max and I even doing trying to have any kind of relationship when we would only just be hurt in the end?

“Liz.” Max cautioned, knowing exactly what I was thinking.

“You saw it Max. You can’t deny that things would be better for everyone if you and Tess … and I…” I couldn’t finish, but he knew what I meant to say.

“Better for everyone except for you and me, and that’s enough reason for me to try and make this work.” Max replied, cupping my face and leaning in for a kiss.

“We can’t just ignore what we just saw.” I said, pulling away. “Tess is critical to your survival. We need to do more to make her stay.”

“We will, but I refuse to do anything that will mean losing you.” Max replied.

“We are not meant to be…” I argued.

“Don’t you dare back out on me now Liz Parker…” Max warned.

“I won’t. I don’t want to. I just want to do what is right.” I replied.

“Be with me. Be my Queen. That’s what’s right. I can feel it.” Max said adamantly.

“They said that Tess was your Queen.” I pointed out.

“That was in the past. They could not know that my heart now belongs to you.” Max explained. “Do you promise to stand by me as the rightful Queen?”

“I promise.” I replied with a smile.

“Good.” Max smiled in return. “Now let’s get going. I need at least a few hours sleep before I start work tomorrow.”

Getting up off the cave floor and brushing ourselves off, we took each other’s hand and stepped out of the pod chamber…

… into the light of day.

“Well I guess I’m late for work.” Max gulped.

“And Maria will be going ballistic when she finds that I’m not in my bed.” I gulped too, as we both bolted down the hill as fast as our legs would take us.
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) AN 31/10/08

Post by Oz »

Just a short part, but I hope to follow it up quickly with the next chapter. After returning from two weeks of my son having his Dad and Grandma by this side 24/7, he's been a bit more demanding of my time now that they are back at work. Hopefully it will settle down next week and I'll get my spare time back to write.

Max POV

“Where have you been? I had to cover for you. The Nazi shift supervisor is looking for your blood. You know how understaffed we are this time of year.” Tess nagged the moment she found me at my locker putting on my scrubs and white coat, hoping no one would notice that I was over two hours late for my shift. No such luck.

“My jeep broke down and I had to get it towed.” I lied.

“Where? It doesn’t take 2 hours to walk from anywhere in Roswell to the hospital.” Tess replied.

Okay, so I never said it was a good lie.

“I was in the desert.” I replied, trying a different tact – at least it was honest.

“What were you doing in the desert?” Tess questioned.

“I just went out there to clear my head.”

“You must have left early. I noticed the jeep was already gone by dawn.” Tess observed.

“I couldn’t sleep, so I thought I would go out into the desert and watch the sunrise.” I replied, hoping her next question wasn’t going to be a request for a detailed description of the sunrise this morning. I had no idea how much cloud cover there had been in the morning.

“I wish you had woken me. I would have loved to have joined you.” Tess replied instead.

“Next time, I promise.” I smiled, mostly from relief that the inquisition seemed to be over.

Or maybe not…

“So what’s on your mind that is keeping you awake at night?” Tess asked, following me out into the hall where I was beginning my rounds.

“Nothing in particular.” I replied, shrugging unconvincingly.

“So you weren’t thinking about Liz?” Tess asked.

“No.” I replied a little quickly. “Why would you automatically assume…?”

“It’s just that despite how much you tell me that it is over between the two of you, you can’t pretend that you haven’t been acting strangely since she returned to Roswell. You haven’t been yourself, particularly in the past week, and I just thought that maybe her being in Roswell is getting to you.”

I guess I hadn’t been as inconspicuous as I had thought.

“No, it’s not. I’m fine. Really.” I replied, standing at my first patient’s room, hoping Tess would get the hint that I needed to get to work.

“Okay, just know that you can talk to me Max.” Tess said, placing a hand lightly on my arm.

“I know. I’ve got to go. I’ll see you tonight?” I replied.

“Sure.” Tess smiled, finally taking the hint and walking away.

I let out the breath that I had been unconsciously holding. I was going to have to be much more careful in my behaviour, whether Liz was in the vicinity or not, to ensure Tess didn’t get any more suspicious. As much as I hated to say it, I think Liz and I needed to cool down our relationship for a little while until things settled down again. The last thing I wanted was for Tess to turn her attention to Liz and start scrutinising her every move.

I know the vision that Liz and I saw in the pod chamber showed Tess as the essential element to our survival on our return to Antar, but I couldn’t help but feel that all of this effort to make Tess stay would turn out to be all in vain. Why? Because the way I felt at this moment - there was no way in hell that I could possibly leave this planet without Liz by my side.

I shook my head. I couldn’t afford to think like that. I had to step up and make decisions as a king, not as a man in love. If Tess was critical to our survival than I had to do everything in my power to make sure that she would be there to save us. Even if that meant drastic measures had to be taken.

“Doctor? Are you okay?” The patient asked, having watched my internal struggle for the last couple of minutes as I stood at the entrance of his room.

“Yes of course.” I replied, returning my attention to the task at hand. All thoughts of leaving planet Earth would have to wait until my shift was over.

Liz POV

“So, are you going to tell me where you where this morning?” Maria asked as I sat at the counter in the restaurant. Maria had conceded that I seemed well enough to leave my bedroom but still insisted that I wasn’t to return to work until she was satisfied that I was completely better. I didn’t mind – Bryce seemed to be handling the restaurant well enough, and it had been a long time since I had taken it easy.

“I told you, I was out in the desert.” I replied, rolling my eyes.

“But not alone I’m guessing.” Maria raised her eyebrow.

I didn’t say anything – I didn’t have to.

“You guys didn’t… you know, did you?” Maria asked.

“No!” I replied, unable to suppress a blush. “It wasn’t anything like that.”

“Weel then it wasn’t related to Czechoslovakian’s was it?” Maria dropped her voice to a whisper.

“Who’s Czechoslovakian?” Bryce said, coming up behind us suddenly.

“Czechoslovakia was a country that ceased to exist in 1992 – Google it.” Maria replied, to which Bryce just put up his hand in mock surrender and withdrew to the other side of the restaurant.

“It was just another stupid vision.” I replied once Bryce was safely out of earshot.

“Stupid how?” Maria asked curiously.

“It showed Tess saving Max, Isabel and Michael from certain death, once again supporting the increasing body of evidence that Max and I are not meant to be.” I replied somewhat disgruntled.

“Have you ever considered that these visions are wrong?” Maria asked.

“Believe me, it is the hope that I’m clinging to.” I smiled weakly.

At that moment my phone began buzzing across the counter.

“Lover boy?” Maria asked, as I checked the caller ID.

“Bye Maria.” I rolled my eyes as I grabbed my phone to answer it out the back.

“Hello?” I answered once alone.

“Hey, it’s Max.” Max announced, unnecessarily.

“So how much trouble are you in?” I asked, referring to his late start at the hospital.

“I have to take on some extra shifts this week to make it up.” Max replied.

“So I guess I won’t get to see you much this week.” I sighed. I think my week was about to take a turn for the worse.

“That’s why I’m calling. I think we need to lay low for a while – I don’t want Tess getting any more suspicious than she already is.” Max announced. “Apparently she’s noticed some differences in my behaviour over the last week. I have to be more careful – we have to be more careful.”

I swallowed the lump that had formed in my throat.

“I understand.” I replied.

“Just for a little while.” Max tried to soften the blow.

“I know.” I replied, trying to sound upbeat at the prospect of not feeling Max’s touch for I don’t know how long.

“I’ll miss you.” Max sighed.

“I’ll miss you too.” I smiled.

“Liz?” Max said hesitantly. “Have you thought about what I said, about using Bryce to divert Tess’ attention away from us?”

“Are you sure it’s necessary?” I asked, not really looking forward to the prospect.

“It couldn’t hurt. It would remove whatever suspicion that Tess may have.” Max assured.

“And you’d be okay with it?” I asked incredulously, unable to believe that he was really wanting me to go through with the hair brained scheme.

“I have to be.” Max replied. “Our future depends on being able to pull this off.”

“If we are successful, you and I won’t have a future.” I pointed out, unable to stop a tear forming. If Tess stays, Max leaves me on Earth to go home to Antar.

“I can’t believe that.” Max replied earnestly.

“You’ve seen it.” I whispered, unable to find the strength to talk any louder.

“I have to believe that we can change it.” Max replied gently.

“Then why are we trying so desperately to ensure that it comes true? Why are we tip-toeing around Tess?” I asked.

“Because we need her strength and skills if we are going to survive, but I have to believe that you and I need each other too.” Max replied vehemently.

There was some noise in the background, and Max’s voice changed when he spoke again.

“Okay Isabel, tell mom I’ll see her on the weekend. Bye.” Max said before hanging up.

Returning to the restaurant with heavy feet and a heavy heart, I noticed Bryce across the room and thought about what Max was asking of me. Sure he seemed like a nice enough guy, but he really wasn’t my type. What was I supposed to do? Just walk up to him and ask him out? I’ve never asked anyone out on a date in my life.

At that moment, Bryce looked up from the table he was bussing and looked in my direction, curious no doubt of the intense stares that I was shooting in his direction. It was probably the opening I needed, but instead, I raced in the opposite direction as fast as my legs would take me.
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) CH 48 6/11/08

Post by Oz »

Am I good to you or what!! 2 updates in 1 day (1 day in Australia at least - I don't think I quite scrapped in US time). I had unexpected babysitting offered this afternoon so I chose to use my time wisely!

Liz POV

A couple of days later, I was back into the swing of things in the Crashdown. While Maria and Bryce still insisted that I take it easy, it seems the plumbing had different ideas, and I spent the day trying to stop the bathroom being turned into a nuclear waste land. The dishwasher also packed up, so all the dishes had to be washed by hand – I was in serious need of a long hot shower.

Reaching the sanctuary of my apartment and closing the door behind me, I noticed something was different, but I couldn’t put my finger on it. All I knew is that it felt familiar and warm. Realising what it was, I inhaled deeply – the scent of my father’s aftershave filled the air.

“Dad? Mum?” I called, stepping further into the room and picking up the faint talking coming from the kitchen.

“Lizzie?” My father’s voice came from the kitchen, where I was greeted by the sight of him and my mother having a cup of coffee at the kitchen table. My father stood up and gave me a hug, before I went over to where my mum was sitting and gave her a hug too.

“I didn’t know you guys were coming home so soon!” I exclaimed happily. It surprised me exactly how much I had missed them even though they hadn’t been gone that long.

“Maria called us from the hospital. She told us that you had been hurt in armed hold-up!” My dad announced incredulously. “We came back as soon as we could. Are you okay?”

“I’m fine. I just got a bump on the head, that’s all.” I replied.

My dad gave me a quick once over to check for himself.

“You seem to be healing fine.” He announced.

“You know me – I’m a survivor.” I smiled.

“All those years you were living alone in New York I was so worried something would happen to you, and yet you get in more trouble here in Roswell!” My father muttered, partly to himself. “Maybe we should stay…”

“Liz is fine here.” My mother said, placing a hand on my father’s to settle his thoughts. “Besides, Liz has people here looking out for her, isn’t that right Liz?”

I met my mother’s glance. It was evident that she was clearly referring to Max and his abilities, and it was equally clear that she hadn’t mentioned a word about it to my dad.

“That’s right. I’m fine here.” I reassured my dad.

“But maybe we should help out with the restaurant just until you get back on your feet?” My father suggested.

“The restaurant is being taken care of. I have employed a manager who is doing a great job.” I explained. “I can introduce you to him later if you like.”

“Him?” My mother asked curiously.

“Yeah.” I replied lightly, “His name is Bryce and he’s actually very good at his job.”

“Well I’m glad that there is a man around the place to watch over things.” My father replied, looking pleased.

I could see him practically plotting our wedding in his head. I guess to him, anything was better than the alternative – the alternative that I was very much in love with.

“So when are you leaving again?” I asked, not wanting to sound like I already wanted them gone, but keen to change the subject away from boys.

“We could probably hang around for a week or more, until we’re sure that you are really alright.” My father replied.

“I’m fine.” I argued, not wanting them to feel that they had to stay on my account.

“… and I would really like to get to that desert wildflower show out passed Santa Fe on the weekend…” My mother interjected hopefully.

“We would have to leave tomorrow if we are going to get out there on time.” My father argued, obviously trying to put my mother off the idea.

“We can do that. Liz looks fine – she doesn’t need us here.” My mother replied.

“I guess not …” My father reluctantly agreed.

“Great, it’s settled.” My mother replied. “How about I start dinner?”

“You don’t have to do that.” I replied, getting up to follow my mother into the kitchen.

“It’s no problem at all – It’s nice not to have to cook on the pokey little stove in the RV.” My mother dismissed my protests with a wave of a hand.

“Max! MAX!!” I cried, crawling over to where Max’s limp body was lying on the ground.

“Open your eyes, please…” I pleaded. “Please don’t leave me here alone. I need you… I love you…”

Max’s eyes struggled open, looking searchingly into mine.

“Liz … I …” Max struggled, before his head fell to one side and his eyes went lifeless.

“Nooooooooo!” I screamed, feeling as if my soul was tearing in two.

“No!” I cried, sitting up in bed, drenched with sweat. I looked over at the clock – it was only 10pm, but I knew there would be no more sleep for me tonight until I was sure that Max was okay. I reasoned that it had been a couple of days since I had spoken to him, and it was obviously starting to affect my dreams, but I still had to check he was okay nonetheless.

Grabbing my phone off the bedside table, I called Max’s cell, praying with every ring that he would answer and he would be safe.

“Hi, you’ve reached Max. I can’t answer the phone right now, but please leave your name and number…” Max’s voicemail answered, doing nothing to unclench the knot in my stomach that had formed.

I paced the floor of my bedroom. I had a couple of choices – the most sensible of which would be to ask Maria or Michael to call on my behalf. The fastest option though was to call his home number myself, which I found myself doing, praying that Tess wouldn’t answer the phone.

“Hello?” Max’s voice answered clearly, to my relief.

“Max?” I asked, the question not being whether it was really him, but whether he was really alright.

“Isabel, hey.” Max said, indicating that Tess was within earshot. I had been lucky after all that she hadn’t been the one to answer the phone.

“Liz?” Max admonished, after I heard the sound of a door closing behind him. “What are you doing calling me at home? Tess is here.”

“I tried your mobile but it was switched off.” I replied, unable to repress the weeping over the joy that he really was okay, and that it had just been a dream… for now at least. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have called...”

“No. It’s okay. I’m glad you did. I’ve missed you.” Max replied more softly, having picked up on my fear. “What’s wrong?”

“I … I had a bad dream that’s all. I just needed to know that you were okay.” I replied. “I was worried about you.”

“I’m fine.” Max assured me.

There was a moments silence, and I knew I should have said my goodbyes and hung up the phone, but I couldn’t make myself do it. It seemed that Max had the same idea.

“I was thinking about you earlier.” Max confessed.

“Really?” I brightened up.

“Yeah…” Max said. “I was thinking about how much I wanted to be wherever you were.”

“That’s sweet. Especially since I was knee deep in a broken toilet and a broken dishwasher today.” I laughed.

“Liz – who are you talking to so late?” My dad poked his nose around my bedroom door.

“Just Maria, Dad.” I replied, covering the mouthpiece of the phone. “I’m sorry to wake you.”

“So your Dad’s in town?” Max confirmed.

“Yeah, he and mum are just blowing through on their way to Santa Fe. They’re staying the night.” I explained.

“I take it he still hates me.” Max stated, obviously referring to me lying about who was on the phone.

“I don’t know that I would say ‘hate’… But I just really didn’t want to start an argument.” I explained.

“I’d better go.” Max announced reluctantly. For a moment I had forgotten that Tess was home and we were currently breaking the rules by talking.

“Okay…” Liz I replied sadly, before adding “Max?”

“Yeah?” Max replied softly.

“Do you think Tess knows… you know, about us?” I asked. It had been a couple of days since our venture into the desert, and I wanted to know whether our worry about Tess’ suspicion was justified.

“No.” Max replied. “I don’t think she has any idea.”

“Okay… Goodnight Max.” I said, somewhat hopeful that our imposed separation would therefore soon be at an end.

“Goodnight Liz.” Max replied, before hanging up the phone.

“I love you.” I whispered after he hung up, careful that my dad was no longer in earshot.

Talking to Max had relieved my present fears about his safety, but given that my visions generally always came true, I needed to figure out exactly who would want to hurt Max … before it was too late.
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) CH 49 7/11/08

Post by Oz »

Here's the next instalment. Sorry if there are lots of mistakes, but I was so desperate to post it before the weekend that I didn't have time to proof read it as much as usual.

The song is 'Your arms feel like home' by 3 Doors Down. I currently have their latest album, Finger Eleven, One Republic and Kings of Leon shuffling in Itunes.

Thanks for all the feedback. Keep it coming!!

Max POV

I was pacing the apartment like a caged animal. I felt like my skin was crawling. The only thing I could put it down to was an unbelievably intense desire to see Liz again. If only I could think of an excuse to go and see her.

Normally I would have visited her at night in her room, under the pretence of going for a late night run, but with her parents back, it just wasn’t worth the risk. What can I say? Liz’s dad scares me a little.

“Are you okay?” Tess asked, scaring the bejeebers out of me. I hadn’t realised she was home.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I replied unconvincingly. Maybe what I needed was a cold shower, or sweat it out at the gym.

“I’m about to meet up with Isabel and Michael at the Crashdown for breakfast. Interested in coming?” Tess asked.

My heart almost skipped a beat. Tess was giving me the perfect opportunity to see Liz, all laid out on a silver platter. Sure Liz’s dad might be there, but it was worth the risk, right? I may not even get the chance to speak to Liz, but we would be in the same room, and if the stars aligned, I may even be able to take a glimpse at her beautiful face – I was sure that’s all I needed to get myself under control.

“I guess so.” I replied, trying to sound as uninterested in the prospect as possible, while I was mentally grabbing the keys and already heading out the door wanting to be there now. “For a little while anyway. I have to go to the hospital afterwards.”

“I thought you had the day off.” Tess whined.

“I picked up an extra shift.” I replied. “I’m trying to get in the good books of the shift supervisor.” And I needed a distraction from missing Liz.

“You haven’t forgotten that tomorrow’s my birthday have you?” Tess asked.

Crap.

“Of course not.” I smiled. “How could I forget?”

“Good. I thought we could all go out for dinner tomorrow night.” Tess suggested. “Unless you had something else planned…”

“Dinner sounds good. I’ll organise it when I get out of work tonight.” I promised.

“No, that’s fine. I can do it.” Tess offered.

“Are you sure?” I asked. “You shouldn’t have to organise your own birthday party.”

“It’s fine.” Tess smiled. “Now, let’s go.”

She didn’t have to tell me twice. In a few minutes I would see Liz again.

Liz POV

“Bryce?” I interrupted as he was under the counter hammering the plumbing of the drinks machine that was playing up again. It seemed that all the plumbing in this place was going to hell.

“Yeah?” He answered with a smile, climbing to his feet to find me waiting for him on the other side of the counter … with my father. Credit to Bryce, his smile only faltered slightly – my father could be intimidating to some.

“I’d like you to meet my dad.” I introduced my father, stepping to one side. “Dad, Bryce, Bryce, Dad.”

“Nice to meet you sir.” Bryce smiled, wiping his hand on his apron before holding it out to shake my father’s hand.

“You too Bryce. And please, don’t call me sir. It’s Jeff.” My father smiled in return. “Having trouble with the soda machine?”

“Yeah, it’s playing up again.” Bryce replied as my father walked around to the other side of the counter to give him a hand. “I thought I had it fixed yesterday…”

I took that as my cue to leave them to it and get back to work. As I turned to face the restaurant and determine my next task out of the half filled restaurant of customers, I came face to face with Max, Michael, Isabel and Tess, who were just entering the Crashdown. Max held the door open for the others, which meant he was the last to walk across the restaurant and take his seat. In those few moments that Tess, Isabel and Michael had their back to him, he gave me a flicker of a look that made my heart race and gave me butterflies in my stomach. I blushed and turned away, to avoid any chance of Tess turning at the wrong moment and seeing the look on my face that I was incapable of hiding.

It really hadn’t been that long that we had been apart, not in relative terms, but it felt like a lifetime to me. Now that we were in the same room, I was having a hard time stopping myself from running to him and throwing myself in his arms. I’ve missed those arms so much.

Making myself see some sense, I forced my feet to turn one hundred and eighty degrees and walk to the kitchen where food was waiting to be served to another table. I could afford a few minutes to compose myself before approaching Max’s table rather than risk everything by giving Tess a clear view of the emotions that I wore plainly on my sleeve for the world to see. So instead, I took orders from other patrons and bussed some tables, doing everything I could think of to keep busy until it was becoming undeniably evident that I was avoiding their table.

Taking out my pen and order pad, I casually walked over to Max’s booth, ordering myself to avoid looking at him and to concentrate on speaking without a nervous shrill in my voice.

“What can I get you?” I asked, pointedly looking only at Isabel and Michael.

They gave their orders and I scribbled them down hurriedly, before turning to Tess. We stared at each other for seconds only, but I couldn’t help but feel I had been locked in an interrogation room for hours with the scrutiny she was giving me. I tried not to panic or show any sign that I had something to hide from her, so instead I smiled sweetly. She eventually turned to the menu and gave me her order before she looked over to Max. I followed her gaze.

“And for you?” I asked Max quietly.

“A piece of asteroid pie and a cherry coke.” Max replied, not looking up from his menu, but concentrating intently on the salt and pepper shakers in front of him. I wasn’t sure if I was disappointed or relieved that I didn’t get a chance to meet his eyes – I don’t know whether I would have been able to stop myself from kissing him right there at the table if I had.

“I’ll be right back with your drinks.” I replied as casually as I could before I hurried away.

“How’s the soda machine going?” I asked Bryce and my dad who were deep in conversation behind the counter.

“All fixed.” Bryce replied. “Thanks to your dad. He’s got the right knack obviously.”

“And years of practice.” My father laughed heartily as he slapped Bryce on the back. “That thing has been playing up since we bought it.”

Okay, so they were best friends now? It had been a very long time since I had heard my father laugh like that with anyone.

“Well, it was a good thing you were here.” Bryce replied. “You should call through Roswell more often.”

“I like you Bryce, you’re a good man.” My father smiled. “How would you like to join me and my family for dinner tonight? It would be nice to get to know you a little more while we’re in town.”

“I thought you were supposed to be leaving today?” I clarified, before Bryce could answer one way or another.

“There’s no rush. There’s no reason why we couldn’t stay one more night before heading off.” My father said.

“It’s very nice of you to invite me Jeff, but I was actually planning on asking Liz to go to the movies with me tonight.” Bryce said, addressing my father before turning to me.

“I have to work.” I quickly replied.

“I’m sure we could find someone to cover your shift.” My father replied.

“I shouldn’t really have a late night. I’m supposed to be resting as much as possible.” I argued.

“We’ll see the early session and I’ll have you back by ten.” Bryce replied.

“I…” I ran out of arguments.

“Good, it’s settled.” My father clapped his hands together. “Now, I need to check the kitchen is in order, if you’ll excuse me.” He said before heading out back, leaving me alone with Bryce. Well, alone as you can be in a crowded restaurant and three or four people in particular burning holes in the back of you head with their eyes.

“Look, if you really don’t want to…” Bryce started, although obviously disappointed.

I thought for a moment about taking the opportunity to get out of the date, but couldn’t. It would make my father happy, it would make Bryce happy, and in some weird way I knew that it would make Max happy because it was what he had been asking me to do all along. I should be relieved that I wasn’t the one who had to instigate it – it would be easier to let him down gently later on.

“No, I’d like to go to the movies with you.” I smiled. It was just a movie, it couldn’t hurt right? “Just no blood and guts shoot-em-up movies, okay?”

“Promise.” Bryce smiled, before returning to the soda machine to clean up the mess he had made trying to fix it.

As I turned around to head back into the restaurant, I noticed that Max was no longer at his booth, but was only a couple of metres away, heading in the direction of the bathroom. I knew he would have heard every word, but I also knew it wouldn’t be right to try and discern anything from his eyes now – he was determined not to risk making eye contact, and I didn’t want Tess noticing how much I was studying him. I just wish I knew what he was thinking.

Max POV

Of course I heard every word of what was going on behind the counter. Liz and Bryce were going out on a date. It’s what I had wanted – a diversion from Tess’ suspicion. That’s not what was bothering me.

What was bothering me was how readily Liz’s dad had been to organise a date between Bryce and his daughter while barely knowing the guy. Sure he had some reason to dislike me, but I guess I had always clung to the hope that part of his problem with me was that nobody was good enough for his daughter. I guess I was wrong.

I didn’t want Liz to feel as though she was being scrutinised, which was a little difficult given the other three people at my booth had been hanging on every word, so I decided to disappear to the bathroom before she turned around. At least she wouldn’t have to worry about seeing me with Tess watching over my shoulder.

I hadn’t quite calculated it property, and Liz turned around and saw me while I was still crossing across the restaurant. I could see in an instant that she was worried that she had done the wrong thing. I wanted desperately to tell her that it was okay, and that what she had done was what was necessary, but how could I? An idea dawned on me.

At the jukebox stood a guy debating over his song choice. As I walked passed him, I pretended to accidentally trip and land with one hand on the jukebox, and one on the man’s back.

“Sorry man. My fault.” I apologised, slapping his back with one hand, while concentrating on the jukebox with the other, before heading to the bathroom.

Seconds later, a song started playing.

I think I've walked too close to love
And now I'm falling in
There’s so many things this weary soul can't take
Maybe you just caught me by surprise
The first time that I looked into your eyes

Liz POV

There's a life inside of me
That I can feel again
It's the only thing that takes me
Where I've never been
I don't care if I lost everything that I have known
It don't matter where I lay my head tonight
Your arms feel like home
Feel like home

“That’s not the song I chose.” The man that had been at the jukebox muttered to his wife as he sat back down at his table.

And I knew then exactly what had happened. I smiled to myself – leave it to Max to find some way of communicating under so much scrutiny.

“Sorry, the jukebox has been playing up.” I said, slipping the man a quarter to repay the money he spent on a wasted song choice, hoping it would stop him from complaining loud enough for Tess to hear and get suspicious.

I began wiping the crumbs off a nearby counter, keeping my head down in an effort to hide the smile that lingered on my face. As I headed to the kitchen with a pile of dishes I noticed my dad watching me through the kitchen window. I smiled at him before taking some completed orders to the waiting customers.

This life ain’t the fairy tale we both thought it would be
But I can see your smiling face as it's staring back at me
I know we both see these changes now
I know we both understand somehow

I hummed along as the song played, trying to stop the smile that refused to leave my face, but I couldn’t. Even though Max and I couldn’t talk in public, it was nice to know that we could still communicate through other means. Bussing some more tables, I tried not to let the skip in my step betray me as I carried the dishes past Tess’ table and out the back into the kitchen.

At least that is where I was headed before I was stopped by loud voices coming from the back room. Looking through the window I saw my father pining Max up against the wall by the collar of his jacket.

“What are your intentions with my daughter?” My father demanded. “I saw the look you gave her earlier.”

“I...” Max began.

“I hope you’re not thinking about messing around with her again. I don’t know if she’s even recovered from the last time. I don’t know that she ever will.” My father stammered, and I caught the hitch in his throat. I guess he was always going to have an inbuilt fear that I would leave again.

“Liz and I, we’re…” Max started, and I decided it was about time I went in and saved him.

“Dad? What are you doing?” I burst in.

“I’m just having a little chat with Max here.” My father replied, loosing his grip on Max’s jacket and straightening up his shirt.

“What about?” I asked, eyes narrowed.

“Guy stuff.” My father replied. Obviously he hadn’t meant for me to see them talking.

“Really?” I asked sceptically. “What kind of guy stuff?”

“If you must know, I was just about to tell Max the good news about your date with Bryce.” My father replied, ensuring he could watch Max’s reaction when he said it. “You should have seen her face after Bryce asked her… I have never seen my daughter look so happy. Ever.”

Max didn’t say anything, but tried to look as indifferent as possible at the suggestion that Bryce was better for me than Max was.

“What’s that got to do with Max?” I asked my father, starting to show my annoyance at the antagonistic tone in my father’s voice.

“I thought that he would want to hear the news so that he could be happy for you too. You’re happy for her aren’t you Max?” My father prompted.

“Of course I’m happy for her.” Max replied, although his voice sounded forced.

“And you will allow her to go on with her life and be happy… without you.” My father finished.

“Dad!” I admonished.

Max didn’t say a word, but kept his chin up.

“Promise me that you will stay away from my daughter - forever.” My father pushed Max for an answer.

That I can feel again
Where I've never been
Your arms feel like home
They feel like home
Hold on, you're home to me

“I’m sorry. I can’t promise you that.” Max replied, giving me an apologetic look for making things worse with my father, but I knew that Max wouldn’t lie.

“I’m sorry you feel that way.” My father’s face dropped. “I was hoping you were a better man than that. I guess you are exactly what you seem – a selfish creature who takes what he wants and gives no thought to the destruction that he is leaving in his wake.”

“Dad. You don’t know what you are talking about.” I cried. If only he knew what Max did for my mum – his wife!

“I saw how much he hurt you in the past, and I would hate to think that you are holding a candle for him. You deserve so much better. You deserve someone who will treat you right – someone who will treat you like a Queen, rather than always breaking your heart.” My father ranted.

“Dad, you don’t understand…” I began to defend Max.

“Yes I do Liz. You have wasted half of your life over that boy. It’s time that you got over it and started dating again. I hate thinking of you here all alone with no one to look out for you. If you had someone special looking out for you, then maybe then you wouldn’t end up in the hospital with concussion…” My father continued his rant.

Max looked horrified – that my father was unknowingly suggesting that Max was somehow to blame for not protecting me well enough.

“Mr Parker…” Max began, but my father cut him off.

“Stop.” My father said, holding up his hand to reinforce the word. “The only words I want to hear from your mouth are that you are never going to hurt my daughter ever again.”

“I will do everything in my power never to hurt Liz again.” Max repeated – emphasising that some things may just be out of his control – like destiny.

“Tell me once and for all, are you involved with my daughter?” My father demanded.

Lie, Max, lie!

Max looked at me for a moment, debating whether or not he should tell my father the truth. I surreptitiously shook my head once from side to side.

That I can feel again
Where I've never been
Your arms feel like home
They feel like home

“I will always love your daughter.” Max replied quietly. “But I know that I’m not necessarily the best thing for her…”

“Damn right you’re not.” My father retorted. “I guess we finally agree on something.”

“…But that’s not going to stop me from hoping that one day we’ll be together again.” Max finished.

“Well, you may be too late.” My father replied smugly. “Isn’t that right Liz?”

I didn’t say anything but looked at my father incredulously.

Max looked like he wanted to say something more, but clenched his fist and jaw in restraint.

“Was there anything further?” Max asked, taking a step towards the swinging doors.

“No, I think that about covers it.” My father smiled, believing he had shaken Max, which I think was his motive all along.

“I can’t believe you just did that.” I admonished my father the moment Max had stepped out of the room.

“What?” My father asked innocently, with just a touch of smugness.

“Uurgh!” I threw my hands in the air and headed to the kitchen, wishing that the door on the kitchen was slam-able so I could let out my frustrations.

Max POV

“Where are you going?” Tess asked, jumping out of the booth and following me out of the restaurant.

“I just need to get out of here.” I fumed.

“Do you want me to come with you?” Tess asked.

“Only if you feel like blowing stuff up.” I replied, jumping in my jeep. Tess quickly followed.

“Did you talk to Liz?” Tess asked as we headed in the direction of the desert.

“No.” I replied. “Her dad. Apparently he’s still holding a grudge.”

“What did he say?”

“Nothing I shouldn’t have expected. He just has a way of making me feel like a slug under his feet. It’s all ancient history but the guy still acts like it happened yesterday…”

If only he knew the truth. That was almost enough to stop me fuming and start laughing – almost…

“How long is he in Roswell for?” Tess asked.

“I don’t know, but I think it’s just a quick visit.” He’s leaving tonight thank goodness.

“Well, maybe we should stay away from the Crashdown for a little while, just in case.” Tess suggested.

I gulped before nodding. Great, more reason to not be able to see Liz…

“So how do you feel about this whole Liz and Bryce thing?” Tess asked, changing the subject somewhat.

“Fine.” I shrugged.

“Are you sure?” Tess pushed.

“Sure, why not? Good for her.” I replied as nonchalantly as possible. “And if she finds away to get around the connection so we can have a clean break, then I’ll be glad to hear it.”

Tess just smiled and rested her hand on my thigh as we continued to drive in silence.

For a brief second I imagined that it was Liz next to me instead of Tess, and I let a smile creep over my face. One day soon, it would come true, I was sure of it.
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) CH 50 14/11/08

Post by Oz »

I'm just going to post this and then duck for cover. Let me know when it is safe to come out again...

Liz POV

“You look nice Liz. Are you going out?” My mother asked from my bedroom doorway.

“Yeah, I have a date.” I replied, as she came into my room and helped me clip the chain of my necklace behind my neck.

“With Max?” My mother’s eyes lit up while keeping her voice low just in case my father was walking past my bedroom door at that moment.

“Uh, no.” I replied awkwardly. “With Bryce, you know the guy I work with?”

My mother’s face dropped.

“You and Max aren’t together?” My mother asked disappointed. “I thought you may have worked out your issues by now.”

“We’re still working on them.” I replied. It wasn’t exactly a lie. We were working out our issues – the issues being Tess, not Max and myself.

“Then why are you going on a date with Bryce?” She asked, unsurprisingly confused.

“Because he asked, and I didn’t have a reason to say no.” I replied. “Anyway, it’s just a movie. No big deal.”

“A date is never ‘no big deal’.” My mother reproached me. “You can’t lead this boy on if you have feelings for Max, no matter how unlikely it may seem to you now of ever working things out between you.”

“I know.” I sighed. I was being unfair on Bryce. I would just have to make sure that I was very clear that I wasn’t interested in taking this relationship any further. Then it would be just two friends going to the movies together, not really a date at all – and Tess didn’t have to know any different.

“I know you’ll do the right thing.” My mother smiled, giving me a hug.

“Thanks mum.” I replied.

“Are you ready to go?” My father asked my mother, walking into the room. “Wow, you look beautiful Liz.”

“Thanks dad.” I gave a weak smile, still annoyed at his little display earlier with Max. I half debated whether I should have told my mother about it so that she could give my father an earful. “You two had better go if you’re going to make it to Santa Fe tonight.”

“Okay. Are you sure you don’t need us to stay?” My mother asked, giving me another hug.

“I’m fine.” I replied, wishing they would stay longer, but also knowing that by doing so it would prevent me being able to see Max with dad acting the way he had been. It wasn’t a hard decision. “Don’t worry about me.”

“Alright. Enjoy your date Liz.” Dad smiled, giving me a hug and a kiss before he left. My mother did the same before I waved them out of the door.

For a few moments the house was quiet and I closed my eyes took a deep breath, trying to ready myself for what the night was going to hold in store for me. I could do this. It would all work out fine.

My silent meditation was interrupted by a soft tap at my window. Max.

“What are you doing here?” I asked, opening my bedroom window and hurrying him inside.

Once inside, Max immediately scooped me up in his arms and gave me the kind of kiss that made my toes curl.

“What was that for?” I asked, once I had regained my breath and he had placed me gently back on the floor.

“I’ve missed you.” He smiled.

“I’ve missed you too.” I replied, beaming at him. My face then dropped slightly, “I’m sorry about my dad.”

“It’s okay.” Max shrugged as he disentangled himself, and I could tell that it wasn’t okay. He had been hurt by some of the things my father had said.

“If he knew the truth he would think differently.” I argued.

“Maybe.” Max replied unconvinced. “I guess we’ll never know, because we’re never going to tell him.”

I nodded. I knew it would be a risk to let my father in on the secret, but I can’t say that I wasn’t disappointed. I hated keeping something from my father.

“So what are you doing here Max? Bryce will be here any minute.” I asked.

“I came to tell you something.” He hesitated.

“What?” I asked, suddenly worried by his change of expression.

“I wanted to tell you that I don’t want you to do this – I don’t want you to go on this date with Bryce.” He blurted.

“But… it was your idea…” I replied confused.

“I know.” Max replied.

“You asked me to do this.” I added.

“I know.” Max nodded. “Now I’ve changed my mind. The thought of you with him … with anyone… I can’t stand it.”

I couldn’t help but smile – it was comforting to see that Max wasn’t exactly ecstatic at the idea of me going out with someone else. It was cute that he was jealous.

“It’s too late to pull out. What would I tell him?” I asked.

“That your alien king boyfriend has decided that he wants to spend the night with you instead.” Max breathed, pulling me back into an embrace and kissing my throat.

“What … about … Tess?” I asked between kisses.

“Way to kill the mood.” Max said, pulling away, but smiling as he did so.

“What did she think of my date with Bryce?” I asked.

“She seemed extremely pleased with the idea.” Max confirmed.

“Well, then, that’s enough for me. If this helps to take the pressure off, then I’ll do it.” I replied.

“Maybe we could just tell her the truth - damn the consequences.” Max replied, taking my hand and kissing me up the length of my arm.

“No.” I replied, pulling my arm away. It seemed one of us had to be the sensible one. “Not that I wouldn’t love that idea – there’s too much at stake. We’ll stick to the plan, and everything will work out – you’ll see.”

“Nothing is going to change.” Max nodded, as though he was trying to convince himself, not me.

“Nothing will ever change how I feel about you.” I replied, wrapping my arms around Max’s neck, and melting at the feeling of his arms stretching around my waist.

At that moment the doorbell rang.

“It’s pumpkin time.” I announced, disentangling myself from Max.

“Okay.” Max accepted. “If he tries anything I will hunt him down so help me God.”

“I didn’t think you believed in God.” I observed.

“When it comes to you, I’m not taking any chances. I’d pray to Buddha if I thought it would mean that he would protect you.”

“I have to go.” I smiled.

“I’ll see you soon.” Max smiled, backing towards the window where he would make his exit.

“I love you.” I said, my hand on the door.

“I love you too.” Max smiled, before disappearing out of the window with one quick movement.

I walked to the front door, took a deep breath and opened the front door.

“Bryce, hi. I’ll just grab my coat.” I greeted him.

“Do I make you nervous?” Bryce asked, as we sat waiting for the movie to start. The cinema was still lit up, and people were still streaming in from the foyer. Bryce passed me the popcorn bucket and I gladly took it, needing something to keep my hands from fidgeting.

“No. Why do you say that?” I asked.

Bryce just looked at me leg that was bouncing up and down with a nervous jitter.

I clamped my hand down on my knee and smiled at him. “Oh. It’s nothing to do with you. I just … well I haven’t really been on many dates before.”

“Define many.” Bryce requested.

“Since high school? … none?” I replied, knowing how geeky that would sound.

“Are you serious?” Bryce almost choked on a piece of popcorn. “You’ve never dated?”

“I’ve had other priorities…” I tried to justify my existence that seemed so absurd to him.

“Like what?” Bryce pushed, amazed that something would be so important that a girl couldn’t find time to have a date every now and then.

“I … well … maybe it’s just that I’ve never been asked by anyone that I wanted to say ‘yes’ to before.” I replied, trying to come up with some reason other than ‘I’ve been completely obsessed by my connection with a certain human/alien hybrid who broke my heart’.

“Well then, I’m very honoured that you said ‘yes’ to me.” Bryce mock bowed.

“Shut up.” I playfully slapped him. “You know that maybe I only said ‘yes’ because I took pity on you having to cope with rejection in the face of my father.”

“Well thankyou for thinking of my wellbeing. I’m grateful.” Bryce replied.

“You should be. My father can be intimidating to some.” I replied.

“Really?” Bryce sounded surprised. “I thought he was just like a big teddy bear. Anyway, you said ‘since high school’… How much did you date in high school?”

“A little. There were a couple of guys.” I replied.

Kyle and Max – you couldn’t get too more different people.

“Let me guess… Max?” Bryce asked.

“I…” I stammered, surprised at Bryce bringing up Max’s name. I guess he had a good memory. “Yes.”

“So he’s the real reason you stopped dating?” Bryce hazarded a guess.

“I … can we talk about something else?” I asked, on the verge of begging.

“Sure. What about those White Sox?” Bryce immediately replied casually.

I looked over at him with my eyebrow raised.

“Okay, no sport. Religion? Politics? Current affairs?” Bryce listed.

“Why don’t you tell me a bit about yourself?” I asked. “You said you were working your way across the country… Where are you headed exactly?”

“No where in particular.” Bryce shrugged. “I’m just letting destiny direct me to where ever it wants me to be. Apparently right now that is in Roswell – and I think destiny has got it about right.”

“Look, Bryce, I don’t want you to think… It’s just that I … I’m not sure…” I stammered.

“… if you can complete a full sentence?” Bryce finished for me. “Look Liz, its fine. You have baggage – I get that. I just thought that you might want to go out and have some fun – away from all the baggage. I don’t expect anything from you except maybe a sounding board for all of my lame jokes.”

“They are lame…” I agreed, relaxing a little at the pressure being taken away from me to be a good date.

At that moment the cinema darkened as the credits began to roll. I reached into the popcorn bucket and grabbed a handful of popcorn which I surreptitiously threw at Bryce – starting an all out popcorn war before the movie had already begun. It stopped once the ‘he-hmm’s’ started from the gentleman behind us.

Maybe I was capable of having a nice night out after all.

“Well that was good.” Bryce said, hands in his pockets and shuffling from one foot to the other as we stood at my apartment door.

“Yeah.” I agreed. “I get to choose the movie next time though – that was terrible.”

“Hey, it fit your criteria. There was no blood and guts.” Bryce pointed out.

“There was no storyline either.” I cringed.

“So are you suggesting that there might be a next time?” Bryce asked, returning to my previous point.

“Sure.” I replied, before adding. “As friends.”

“As friends.” Bryce concurred.

“Well friend, you’d better get inside, it’s getting cold.” He added, holding out his hand for me to shake goodbye.

“Goodnight.” I replied, shaking his hand.

As I went to take my hand out of his grasp and turn the handle of my front door, I felt him pull me by the hand towards him in such a swift action that our lips were barely millimetres away from each other. Before I could protest, his lips were on mine with his hand on the back of my head so that I couldn’t pull away. The kiss only lasted a few seconds before I was able to free myself from his grasp.

“Sorry.” He apologised before I could say any of the profanities that were threatening to spill in his direction at that moment. “You can’t blame a guy for trying. Forgive me?”

“Please don’t do that again.” I eventually managed to say.

“I won’t.” Bryce promised, in mock scout salute. “Goodnight.”

I watched as he headed down the stairs before I went inside and quickly locked the door behind me. Slumping against the door, I tried to control my breathing and make sense of my thoughts.

When Bryce’s lips had touched mine, I had a vision. It wasn’t clear enough for me to understand what I had seen. All I knew was that there was a darkness within him, and I couldn’t help but feel a foreboding of what was to come.

I quickly pulled out my phone and dialled Max’s number. I knew it was against the rules, but I had to try and explain to Max what I had seen. After the vision I had the other night of Max, I was not taking any chances.

To my surprise I heard a phone ring in my bedroom. Walking slowly up the hallway, I slowly pushed open the door, ready to run if I needed to. There was a shape hiding in the shadows. As the door opened wide enough, I saw Max step out into the light.

“Max? What are you doing here?” I asked, relieved that it was him. My relief only lasted for a second.

“I saw you kiss him.” Max choked - his face devoid of all emotion.

“I didn’t.” I shook my head. “He took me by surprise. I didn’t kiss him back. I… I told him not to do it again.”

“It doesn’t matter. You can kiss him as much as you like as far as I’m concerned. It’s over. We’re over.” Max replied sadly.

“What are you talking about?” I asked, totally confused. Max was upset about one little kiss that I didn’t initiate and didn’t welcome? I felt like I was in the twilight zone.

“Tonight has just shown me exactly what kind of girl you really are.” Max hissed. “I can’t believe I wasted so much time on you…”

I was stunned. This was completely out of the blue – particularly after Max’s earlier visit. It was like he was somebody else.

“I don’t understand.” I eventually stammered. “Why are you doing this? After what you said tonight…”

Max looked taken aback all of a sudden, then regained his composure.

“Because I need to move on. I need to do what I should have done so many years ago.” Max replied. “I need to cut the cord.”

What the hell was he talking about?

And then I felt it. The feeling of my heart being ripped from my chest. I fell to the floor withering in agony.

“You don’t exist to me anymore.” Max stated, towering over me with no concern on his face for my obvious pain.

“Max…” I whimpered.

He didn’t say anything, but climbed out of the window, leaving me barely able to breathe.
Paramore - Decode