Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) COMPLETE 3/3/10

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) Ch 61 8/4/09

Post by Oz »

Hi All,

This is just a very short update - apparently my muse only had this much in her tonight.

But the good news is that I'm also working on another fic, so that should be posted in the next few weeks. :D

Max POV

And I thought the hardest thing would be the proposal, but according to Maria, we have to throw the most extravagant party of the century. There’s the engagement party, the dress, tuxes, cars, flowers, flower girls, the venue, the guest list… I’m exhausted just thinking about it and Liz and I have only been engaged for less than 48 hours.

“We have to do something to rein in Maria’s, uh … enthusiasm.” I said to Liz after another 3am phonecall from Maria about some idea she had in a dream that had something to do with a horse drawn carriage down Main Street.

“I’ll have a talk with her tomorrow.” Liz promised.

“What are you going to say to her?” I asked curiously.

“I’m going to tell her that you’ve been called back to your home planet urgently and we couldn’t possibly organise a wedding in such a short amount of time.” Liz smiled. “Then we’ll elope and get married by Elvis in Vegas.”

“Vegas? Really? Would you really want to get married in an Elvis chapel?” I asked surprised.

“At this point, I think it might be the lesser of two evils.” Liz smiled.

“Do you have a plan B?” Max asked.

“No.” Liz groaned.

“But you can see the future, what do you see?”

“I see us letting Maria drive us insane for the next 12 months... I obviously haven’t yet found a course of action that will actually work.” Liz replied.

The phone began to bring and I audibly groaned.

“It’s your turn.” I sighed, handing the phone to Liz.

“Maria?” Liz answered, without even waiting for the caller to introduce themselves. There was then silence on Liz’s end for so long that I thought that Maria might pass out from not taking a breath.

“I don’t know that Beyonce will be available… or Rhianna…” Liz rolled her eyes at me, and I chuckled.

Then I had a brainwave, and indicated for Liz to pass me the phone.

“Maria? Hi. Liz and I had actually just been discussing this, and we wondered whether you would do the honours of singing at our wedding?” I asked. Surely that would mean she had less time to hassle us about the wedding plans.

I then put the phone away from my ear at the sound of the squeal – now understanding exactly what Liz must have heard when she first shared the news with Maria.

“Oh, I would love to, oh, that would be fantastic.” Maria replied, before adding, “Do you want me to sing at the church or the reception or both? And what would you like me to sing? I think something current would be best, although I know Liz has always liked Nina Simone… What do you think?”

“I think we can probably work out the details a bit closer to the date…” I replied, after the barrage of questions.

But that only led to more problems.

“And when would that be?” Maria asked.

“The date? I, well, Liz and I haven’t … we were thinking …” I began.

“M-ax?” Maria interrupted.

“Yes Maria?” I replied, knowing that her tone could only mean that I was in trouble.

“You and Liz haven’t discussed it yet have you?” Maria stated in a tut-tut tone.

“Not exactly.” I replied, but then had a stroke of genius that I was sure would get us off the hook. “The date will probably depend on when the venue is free I guess.”

“And have you discussed the venue?” Maria asked again with that tone.

“Uh, no.” I conceded, with my tail between my legs.

“Max! Do you realise how early venues book up? If you don’t act now the two of you could still be unmarried in two years time!” Maria admonished me.

“That wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing…” I replied, then immediately regretted it. Putting the phone away from my ear I could still hear Maria’s shouting coming through the phone. Obviously she wasn’t a fan of long engagements.

“… have you even given her the ring yet?” I heard when I judged it safe to return the phone to my ear.

“If you’re going to be like that, we might just elope to Vegas.” I replied before hanging up the phone.

Liz gaped at me, but then burst into giggles. I handed her the phone.

“It’s your turn.” I said, only moments before the phone began to ring.
"Do you see what we’ve done?
We’ve gone and made such fools of ourselves..."
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) AN 30/4/09

Post by Oz »

Here's the next instalment. Only 2 weeks between posts - not too bad.

Sorry if it seems to jump ahead quickly, but I didn't want to drag it out too long.

Liz POV

“You look like you’re about to puke.” Maria said with concern on her face.

I felt like I was too. Great – I guess I looked as crap as I felt.

“It’s just nerves I guess.” I replied, as Maria placed the veil over my head.

Did I mention that it was my wedding day?

“Well, you look beautiful.” Maria beamed as she turned me around to face the mirror, which up until now I had been forbidden to look at.

“Wow…” I replied, taking in this stranger looking back at me. Maria hadn’t done a bad job.

“You’re welcome.” Maria smiled. “Now let’s go and find your handsome prince…”

“And I now pronounce you man and wife.” The minister announced. “You may kiss the bride.”

There was an uproar from the congregation as Max lifted my veil and placed a church-acceptable kiss on my lips.

So yes, we did let Maria have her way and plan us the wedding of the century. And I have to say, it didn’t turn out too badly. Maybe I was wearing a dress that made me look like a cream puff, but it was nice to be surrounded by our family and friends.

I looked over at Max, took his outstretched hand in mine and gave him a beaming smile – the same smile I hadn’t been able to wipe off my face since seeing him standing at the alter as I made my way down the aisle towards him. We headed down the aisle to greet our family and friends for the first time as man and wife.

I still couldn’t believe that we had finally done it. After everything we have been through over the years, it was sometimes hard to believe that we could be this happy. I was still waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I have to admit, Maria knew how to plan a party. We had so much fun dancing that we missed dessert, and didn’t get around to see nearly as many people as we should have.

“I’ll be right back.” Max said, at the end of a song and indicating to the men’s room.

I nodded, and he spun me around once more, in the direction a group of our friends that were all dancing together.

When I got my bearings, Max was still standing in front of me.

“That was fast.” I smiled. The song then changed and we moved closer for a slow dance.

I pulled back suddenly. Something was off.

“Z-Zan?” I asked searchingly.

“Hi Liz. It’s been a while.” Zan replied.

“It’s really you?” I clarified.

“Of course. Who else would it be?” Zan laughed to himself at his own joke.

I gave him a huge hug. I hadn’t realised I had missed him so much.

“Wow. Is that how you greet all the boys?” Zan smiled.

“No – just you. What are you doing here?” I asked.

“I couldn’t miss your wedding day.” Zan smiled.

“How did you get here? I’m not asleep am I?” I asked confused. I’m sure I could have imagined this whole day.

“I came in the Granolith.” Zan explained.

“The Granolith?” I repeated, my heart clenching in my chest. “That means…”

“That means its time for Max to go home.” Zan finished.

“No – no. That’s not supposed to happen yet. We’ve still got years left.” I fervently shook my head.

“The future isn’t set. The decisions we make can change how the future comes to be.” Zan replied.

“Who’s decision? I didn’t decide. I’m sure Max didn’t decide.” I said, whispering Max’s name so as not to confuse others on the dance floor.

Zan was silent.

Then it came to me.

“You decided.” I said incredulously, ignoring the stares of astonishment from some guests – obviously assuming they were witnessing Max and my first fight as husband and wife.

“An opportunity arose to return earlier than expected – I’m not sorry that I took it.” Zan explained. “Our people need help. They need Max.”

“So, we go to Antar.”

“No. Max, Michael and Isabel go. You don’t.” Zan announced.

“Why not? Because I may be executed?” I asked.

“No. Because Max doesn’t want to risk your son’s life.” Zan replied.

“What son? What are you talking about? I’m not pregnant.” I denied.

“Are you sure about that?” Zan replied.

I thought for a moment. I had been feeling crappy all day, but it didn’t make any sense. This wasn’t supposed to be happening now.

“Let’s suppose for a second that you’re right. You expect me to believe that Max will go without me? He loves me!”

“He thinks he’ll be able to come back when he’s done his duty.”

“Will he?” I asked.

“I don’t know. Like I said – the future isn’t set.” Zan replied.

“But it’s possible.” I clarified.

“Theoretically. But I wouldn’t count on it.” Zan warned.

“So Max goes, and I stay.” I clarified.

“Yes.”

“Why? Why would you take Max away from me?” I cried, beating his chest with my fists – not caring who was watching.

“I’m not doing this to hurt you. I’m trying to help our people.” Zan replied, restraining my fists.

“He won’t go.” I argued.

“He will. This is a once only offer. If he doesn’t return to Antar with me, then there will be no other chances.”

“And how long does he have to make that decision?” I asked.

“The Granolith will be leaving in 24 hours. He needs to be in the pod chamber by then or he will miss his chance.” Zan said, before making a hurried exit through the crowd and out of sight.

I stood in the middle of the dance floor, contemplating my now bleak future, when I realised how many eyes were on me. Turning around, I made a beeline out of the room and onto the balcony.

It was cold out – and I was wearing a strapless gown – courtesy of Maria. I shivered and tried to warm myself with the friction of my hands on the tops of my arms. As I did, I felt what was still unfamiliar – the metal ring on my finger. I twisted it on my finger, before wriggling it off. I then took of my engagement ringwhich I did often to read the engraving – ‘united as one’.

United as one but about to be torn apart forever.

At that moment Max stepped out onto the balcony and I threw myself into his arms.

“Wow. If that’s the way you are going to greet me every time I return from the bathroom then I’m going to have to frequent the place more often.” Max joked, but then realised that I wasn’t smiling with him. “What’s wrong?”

“Zan was here.” I announced.

“Zan? Here?” Max repeated. “That would explain some of the looks I got inside. And some of the others could only be explained by Zan having done a strip tease on the dance floor.”

“It’s not something to joke about.” I replied seriously. “He’s here with the Granolith and the clock is set for the return trip.”

Max’s face dropped. “How long?”

“24 hours.”
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) AN 14/5/09

Post by Oz »

Thanks for all the FB!

Don't get used to it, but I got inspired - so here's the next instalment.

Liz POV

Later that night, Max and I should have been alone in our hotel room celebrating our marriage with a glass of champagne and more. Instead, Max was sitting on the bed, not waiting for me, but for the rest of the gang to arrive, and me – well I was in the bathroom peeing on a stick.

On the way from the reception to the hotel, I had begged Max to stop at the pharmacy so I could get some airsickness tablets for our flight the following morning. While he waited in the car, I ran inside, in my wedding gown, and purchased a pregnancy test instead. I must have given the sales assistant a good laugh.

“Are you okay in there Liz?” Max called through the door as I waited for the results.

“I’m fine. Just trying to get all of the pins out of my hair.” I replied – which wasn’t exactly a lie. I looked a sight with all of the hairspray in my hair - making it go in very weird directions. I must have had a hundred pins in my hair.

“Can I help you?” Max offered.

“No, that’s okay. But could you send Isabel in when she gets here?” I asked. She would be able to fix it in a flash. I didn’t need Max’s memory of our wedding night to be of the Bride of Frankenstein… I smiled to myself, but then my face dropped. No, Max’s memory of tonight would be of the news that he would have to leave Earth and return to Antar. That he would have to leave me. I looked at the stick. That he would have to leave us…

There it was – two very distinct lines. I was pregnant.

Then the images came – reminiscent of what I had seen before – just a different place and an earlier time…

“I have to go Liz.” Max said solemnly.

“No … not yet.” I replied shaking my head. “I’m not ready to let you go just yet.”

“We don’t have a choice.” Max replied. “And I won’t ask you to come with me.”

“I’m willing to die for you.” I promised earnestly.

“I’m not willing to let you.” Max replied.

“Without Tess or I, the four square will be incomplete.”

“That can’t be helped. Tess is gone. It’s just the three of us now – that has to be enough.”

“What about me?” I asked. “We’ve seen the future – we can make sure that it doesn’t happen. You need me.”

“I need you to live… our son needs you to live.” Max replied, placing a hand on my stomach. “But I will come back to you – I promise.”

And then the images were identical to what I had seen before. Nothing had changed…

“Tell me again about my father.” The man asked.

“He was just like you… Tall and handsome, strong and … stubborn.” I smiled.

“What happened to him?” He asked. “And don’t tell me that he died in a car accident. I’ve never found the police report, and you’ve never shown me his grave.”

“He had to go away. A long way from here.” I replied, looking up at the stars and pulling my shawl tighter around me, attempting to keep ward against the chill on my old bones.

“Have you tried to contact him? Is he still alive?” My son asked.

“Many times. And no, he is dead.” I replied, trying to hide the tear in my eye.

“How do you know?”

“Because I can feel it.” I replied, aching from the half of my soul that had been missing for so many years.

“Do you regret not going with him?” My son asked.

“Sometimes…” I replied. “But then I think of you, and the only regret is that your father never had the chance to meet you.”

There had to be a way to fix this. There had to be a way that I could go with Max so we could be together. I might die – but at least I would die with Max by my side.

So what needed to happen for Max to let me go with him? Once he finds out that I’m pregnant, I know that he won’t want to risk the child.

Once he finds out … But what if he doesn’t?

“Are you sure you want to do this Liz?” Max asks fervently. “I would understand if this goes above and beyond ‘till death do us part’.”

“You are my husband, and I don’t want to be anywhere in this universe without you. You and I are a team. The two of us … we’re invincible.”

“Okay. Let’s do this.” Max replied, kissing my forehead, and squeezing my hand tightly – not letting go.

“Liz? It’s Isabel.” There was a knock at the door.

“Just a minute.” I replied, shoving the pregnancy test to the bottom of the bin, before opening the door.

“Wow. That’s a great look Liz.” Isabel smirked, looking at my hair.

“Can you just fix it please?” I snapped.

“What’s up with you?” Isabel asked, catching my unusually tense reply.

“Nothing.” I tried to put on a sweet smile. “I guess it’s just been a long day.”

“And judging from the look on Max’s face out there, I take it it’s not going to end anytime soon.” Isabel replied. “What’s going on anyway? Max said it was an emergency.”

“We should probably wait for Max to explain it.” I replied, running my hands through my now smooth and shiny hair that Isabel had just supplied with a wave of her hand. “Let’s not keep him waiting any longer.”

Isabel followed me out of the bathroom and I found the gang all there – looking rightly confused. I took my place by Max’s side and held his hand – intending not to let it go until we were safely leaving planet Earth.

“You’re probably wondering why I’ve called you all here…” Max began. There were a few nods around the room, and an elbow in the ribs from Maria to Michael when she sensed he was about to say something entirely inappropriate about our wedding night.

“Zan’s here.” Max announced. “My dupe. He’s back from Antar – with the Granolith.”

“What for?” Michael asked.

“For us.” Max replied. “It’s time to go home.”

“What do you mean go home?” Isabel asked. “This is our home now.”

“You don’t know how much I wish that was true.” Max replied to Isabel. “But our people need us. You know how much – we’ve all had the same dreams.”

It was my turn to whip my head around and look at Max with shock. It didn’t take much to surprise me these days – but Max’s confession about having dreams that he had kept from me had me surprised. From the look on the faces of Max, Michael and Isabel, I knew that whatever they had seen was not good.

“What dreams?” Maria asked. Looks like I wasn’t the only one in the dark.

“For the past month we’ve been having dreams about home.” Max explained, only glancing at me for a second before addressing Maria. “They show our people struggling – being tortured and enslaved by Kivar. They’re dying… And it shows the resistance crumbling. Zan’s been trying, but there’s only so much he can do.”

“So he’s here to bring you home?” Maria clarified, before looking at Michael. “To bring all of you home?”

“Yes.” Max replied. “He needs the four square. Together we are stronger than Kivar. We can defeat him.”

“But the four square no longer exists.” Maria pointed out.

“It does – and it is even stronger than before.” Max replied, squeezing my hand.

“Liz.” Maria surmised, looking at me horrified that she was not only about to lose Michael, but could be losing me too.

“Liz is my Queen.” Max replied, looking at me with a smile. “She is stronger than Tess ever was.”

“When is this happening Max?” Isabel asked solemnly.

“In about 22 hours.” Max replied regretfully.

“So soon?” Isabel gasped. “No. We can’t go. I need time…”

“We don’t have time Isabel. This is a once and only chance. Once the Granolith is gone, there’s no other way to go back.” Max explained.

“What about our parents? Liz’s parents? What are we going to tell them?” Isabel asked.

“It doesn’t matter at this point.” Max replied. “It’s unlikely we’ll ever be back.”

“No!” Isabel gasped – tears about to spill over.

There was silence in the room while everyone thought over exactly what lay in store. I couldn’t help but wonder at the fact that Max was so quick to acknowledge there was no chance of return compared to the future that had him leaving me behind. Had he known then that there was no chance but didn’t want to tell me. He knew I wouldn’t have let him go.

And I won’t let him go alone now.

“I’m going with you.” Maria announced suddenly, obviously thinking similar thoughts to me.

“No, Maria, it’s too dangerous.” Michael replied.

“Liz is going. So I’m going too.” Maria replied defiantly.

“Liz has powers. You don’t. What if something happened to you?” Michael asked.

“First of all, something could happen to me anywhere – whether it is on Earth or on Antar. I could get hit by a bus tomorrow, or have a car accident. It won’t be any different just because I’m on another planet. And second of all – didn’t Liz have a vision that she would be executed if she returned to Antar? You can’t tell me that she’s safe…”

Damn. I wish Maria hadn’t brought that up. Max looked at me earnestly, as though he had momentarily forgotten that part of my vision. I could see the worry etched on his face and I was determined to wipe it away.

“We control our own destiny. We can stop that from happening.” I replied.

“What do you see now Liz?” Isabel asked. “Is it going to work out okay?”

I thought about it. There were too many variables – too many decisions left to be made. Too many unknowns.

“Yes. It’s going to be fine.” I lied.

“Well, there you have it. I’m going.” Maria folded her arms with a look that if we knew what was good for us, we wouldn’t argue with her. It worked.

“Fine. Say your goodbyes – we meet in the pod chamber at 9pm tomorrow.”

After everyone had left, Max turned to me – his hands on my shoulders and looking me in the eye.

“Are you sure you want to do this Liz?” Max asked fervently. “I would understand if this goes above and beyond ‘till death do us part’.”

“You are my husband, and I don’t want to be anywhere in this universe without you. You and I are a team. The two of us … we’re invincible.”

“Okay. Let’s do this.” Max replied, kissing my forehead, and squeezing my hand tightly – not letting go.

Yes – the three of us were invincible.
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) AN 18/5/09

Post by Oz »

Thank you to everyone who participated in my survey. The overwhelming result was for more angst, so I'll do my best to deliver.

This is just a short part because I'm supposed to be working, but had to get this out of my head. Now that I have, it's back to the tax law... :?

Max POV

Zan was waiting for us when we reached the pod chamber. When I say ‘waiting’ – he was pretty much wearing a hole in the floor from where he had been pacing. On seeing us he looked almost startled out of some reverie.

“You’re late.” He stated.

“We’re here.” I replied, my eyes narrowing. What was the big hurry anyway? I glanced at the countdown on the Granolith. We still had time.

I couldn’t help but look Zan up and down. I could never get over the fact that I had a dupe – a twin. And that Liz had kissed him. My fist clenched involuntarily.

“It’s time to say your goodbyes. We have to go.” Zan said, moving away as if to give us some privacy.

“We’ve said all the goodbyes that we need to say.” I replied, remembering just how well our goodbye to our parents had gone. Liz’s parents at least had some idea of who we were, and accepted the news as graciously as they could. But my parents… well, I think they are probably still reeling from everything we told them. I’ll never forget the look on my mother’s face when it all sunk in.

Zan’s head immediately whipped around.

“Liz is coming with us?” He replied with a look on his face that I could only put down to surprise.

“Of course. She’s my wife.” I replied, taking her hand in mine and squeezing it gently.

Zan’s eyes narrowed – but not in my direction.

“You haven’t told him.” Zan stated, glaring at Liz. It was the first time I had ever seen him look at her with anything but love or concern.

Liz’s hand wriggled out of mine and she stepped toward the Granolith.

“Told me what?” I asked.

Liz looked back at me with an apologetic look on her face, before touching the Granolith with her palm.

“No!” Zan called, lunging towards Liz, but he was too late. The Granolith began whirring and within seconds, she was standing inside the cone of the Granolith looking out.

“Told me what?” I demanded, making a threatening advance towards Zan. If Liz was in danger I needed to know.

“It’s too late.” Zan sighed in resignation.

“Too late for what?” I demanded again.

“Too late for me to protect her.” Zan replied.

“From what?” I asked, growing more and more concerned.

“From you.” Zan stated matter-of-factly.

“Max.” Isabel interrupted my sudden need to pummel Zan to the ground. “The clock.”

I looked up and saw that we had less than thirty seconds to be on board or else Liz would be going to Antar without us.

“Let’s go.” I nodded, being the first to touch the Granolith. I had to make sure Liz was alright.

One by one we were ‘beamed’ up into the Granolith. Zan was the last to come on board, by which time I had already made my way to Liz’s side. No matter what Zan said, there was no way Liz would ever need protection from me.

“Three … two … one …” Zan counted, as though he was counting down to our doom.

No sooner than he was finished, we felt the Granolith begin the rumble and the lights surrounding us swirl faster.

“Blast off.” Michael added.

It was the last thing I remembered before I blacked out.

Liz POV

Oh God, the pain…

I crumpled towards the floor, unable to breathe without feeling like I was being sliced in two.

“Liz!” Zan cried catching me and lowering me to the ground.

It was then that I noticed that Max was no longer by my side. Where was Max?

I twisted my head to the side to try and find them. I did.

“What’s happening to them?” I cried, watching Max, Michael and Isabel convulse. Maria was trying to help them but there was nothing she could do so just looked on helplessly.

“Don’t worry about them. Are you okay?” Zan asked.

“No.” I whimpered.

I wasn’t. I felt as though my soul was being ripped in two. Not unlike when Tess had made me think that Max had broken the connection with me.

“I wish you hadn’t come.” Zan sighed, as if he knew exactly what was happening to me.

“The baby…” I began.

“What baby?” Maria asked. I hadn’t realised she was so close as to overhear.

“Is okay.” Zan replied, darting Maria a look as if to say that now wasn’t the time to discuss it.

“Then what…” I asked confused. If it wasn’t the baby that was in trouble, what was causing this pain? And what was happening to Max and the others? The pain was becoming so bad that my head was spinning and I felt like I was going to be sick. I could feel the beads of sweat forming on my forehead.

At that moment the convulsions stopped, and Max, Michael and Isabel began to come to. Zan stood up defensively, and Maria took his position by my side, dabbing the sweat from my brow.

I watched as Max stood up and looked over to Maria and I without so much as a passing look of concern. His attention was fixed on Zan.

“What is going on?” Max demanded in a voice that didn’t sound like his own. It sounded regal. “Who are you?”

“Welcome back Zan.” Zan smiled at Max.
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) Ch 65 3/6/09

Post by Oz »

Here's another instalment. I got inspired and had a bit of time to kill. Enjoy.

Liz POV

I sat huddled on the ground with Maria, while Zan spoke to the pod squad on the other side of the Granolith. It didn’t seem to be going well.

“Well this is an unusual turn of events.” Maria observed.

“You can say that again.” I replied.

“This is an unusual…” Maria said before being stopped by the daggers I was shooting at her with my eyes. “Sorry. How are you feeling anyway?”

“I’ve been better.” I replied. Truth was, the thing that was hurting the most was the fact that Max had barely looked in my direction since ‘waking up’. And I couldn’t feel him through the connection anymore. This was not good.

At that moment Zan stepped away from the pod squad and joined us on the other side of the room.

“How are you feeling?” Zan asked concerned, and I couldn’t help but think that it should have been Max to be the one worried about me. Shortest honeymoon period in history.

“Great, you?” I replied sarcastically. “What’s going on anyway? Has Max’s memory been erased? Does he not remember me? Does Michael remember Maria?”

“It appears not. I’m sorry – it wasn’t supposed to happen like this.” Zan replied.

What wasn’t supposed to happen like this?” I demanded, my eyes narrowing. “You knew something was going to happen?”

Zan didn’t reply.

“That’s why you didn’t want me to come to Antar. You knew something like this would happen.” I stated.

“I knew that all of his memories of Antar would return. Same goes for Isabel and Michael.” Zan explained.

“But not you?” I observed.

Zan smirked. “Perk of not being one of the true Royal Four.”

“I see.” I said, trying to take it all in.

“So you didn’t know that Max’s memories of Earth would be erased when his memories of Antar returned?” I clarified.

“No. I still don’t understand why that happened. It doesn’t make sense.” Zan looked honestly confused.

“I still don’t understand. If you didn’t know, when why didn’t you want me to come to Antar?” I asked. “What were you worried about?”

“I knew that Max would be different once his memories returned.” Zan replied vaguely.

“But how did you know?”

“Because he and I used to be the same… and I remember what and ass I used to be.” Zan replied honestly.

“So… can you give me some kind of idea as to what to expect?” I asked, suddenly worried.

“Okay.” Zan replied, before thinking for a moment. “You remember what Nicholas said when we were at the school?”

“That you used to decide the fate of an entire army with a flip of a coin?” I remembered. “He was telling the truth?”

“I’m ashamed to admit it.” Zan lowered his head.

I looked over at Max and caught him quickly looking away. But not without leaving me with an impression of something that I saw momentarily on his face. Was it… regret?

“Max?” I whispered, and then staggered to my feet. “Max?” I said more loudly this time.

Max looked over at me but took a step backwards, as Michael stepped between Max and I. Michael – second in command.

“Max.” I said again, undeterred.

“Step away from the King.” Michael ordered.

“Get out of my way Michael.” I replied, attempting to push him aside, but I was weak, and he stood his ground.

I looked passed Michael to Max, who stood behind him looking impassive.

“Get out of her way Michael.” Maria said, coming to my aid.

“No.” Michael replied to her defiantly.

Maria crossed her arms and raised her eyebrow. Michael hesitated for a moment but then puffed out his chest – accepting Maria’s challenge.

Maria responded by grinding her heel into his toes.

“Damn it woman!” Michael yelped, and hopped away enough for me to get passed him to Max.

“Max. Please, you have to remember me.” I begged, reaching for him.

“I don’t know you.” Max replied, stepping away.

“You have to. Connect with me – you’ll see. You’ll see everything we had … have … together.” I pleaded, cupping my hands to either side of his face.

“How dare you touch me!” Max growed, pulling away, at which point Michael had recovered enough to resume his position as Max’s guard and pull me away.

“Max please!” I begged, the tears streaming down my face.

“Stop calling me that. That’s not my name.” Max replied.

“It is – you just have to remember.” I replied.

“No. My name is Zan and I’m the King of Antar. I am returning to retake my throne and you… you have no business being here. You are just an Earthling.”

“I am your wife!” I exclaimed. “I am your queen. You and I make a complete unit – more powerful than even the four square.”

“You are nothing to me.” Max spat. “And as for my queen … her name is Ava.”

“She’s dead.” I announced.

Max looked at Zan as if for confirmation that what I said was true.

“She’s telling the truth.” Zan affirmed.

“Well. That’s a disappointment.” Max replied, not looking any more than slightly annoyed at the news. He definitely didn’t look broken hearted. I guess what Zan had told me before was true – while Ava may have been his queen, she wasn’t ‘the one’.

“Zan. The Granolith is slowing.” Isabel announced, addressing Max.

“We need to be ready.” Zan replied. “I have people waiting for us to take us to safety, but it’s never completely safe. Kivar has spies and informants everywhere. We have to be ready.”

“You get us to safety, and then I’ll be the one calling the shots. Remember that.” Max snarled.

“You’re the boss.” Zan mock saluted with a smirk. Max tried to ignore the insolence. I wondered how long it would be before Zan crossed the line Max had drawn.

“Where are we going?” I asked Zan, starting to fear addressing Max unless I was sure that I could reach through to him.

“There’s a system of underground caves nearby. It’s where the resistance has their headquarters. We will stay there while we plan our next wave of attack.” Zan explained.

“How far is it?” I asked.

“A few kilometres.” Zan replied, and then saw my face drop. “It’s okay. I’ll help you there.”

“What’s wrong with her?” Max asked, having been listening in on our conversation. I hoped that it was genuine concern that I heard in his voice rather than disappointment that I may slow them down.

“She’s unwell.” Zan replied, not elaborating.

Max then muttered something under his breath that I couldn’t catch.

“I’ll be fine.” I replied defiantly.

“You’d better be. If you fall behind we will not be jeopardising the mission to wait for you to catch up.” Max snapped.

It was my turn to mumble something under my breath, which I knew he caught even though he turned quickly away.

“Ready?” Zan asked, as the Granolith came to a halt.

“As I’ll ever be.” I replied, bracing myself for a possible onslaught of firepower.

I was waiting for a door to open, but just as we had entered, we were somehow beamed out of the Granolith into a large white room that made me shiver from the onslaught of memories that returned.

“Your highness… princess … welcome home.” The two new faces in the room welcomed Max and Isabel, while giving a friendly nod to Michael.

“It’s been a long time.” Max replied, shaking their hands. “Aros and Phelies, how have you been?”

“Good now that you have finally returned. Kivar’s reign has been oppressive.” Aros replied, and I could see the passing look of loss and despair cross their faces that indicated that to describe the years as ‘oppressive’ was an understatement.

“It will soon be at an end.” Max replied with certainty, and for the first time since stepping onto the Granolith, I was actually proud of Max’s behaviour. In this moment, he was a true King – willing to do everything to help his people. I was proud to be his wife.

“Who are they?” Phelies asked, indicating in Maria and my direction.

“No one you need to concern yourselves with. They will be returning from where they came from as soon as the Granolith can be reprogrammed.” Max replied with a dismissive wave of his hand.

I clenched my jaw, biting back a smart retort.

“Let’s just get going shall we?” Zan suggested, placing a hand on my shoulder as if to indicate that I was important despite Max’s statements to the contrary. “We need to go before we lose the cover of nightfall.”

“Of course Sir. Let’s go.” Aros replied, after taking a quick glance at Max to see if he was going to disagree with Zan’s suggestion. Obviously Zan had some authority here, and there was likely to be some issues now that the true King had returned. Okay ‘some issues’ was also an understatement.

Zan lifted me onto his back as though I was as light as a backpack, and we headed out of the door that I hadn’t noticed off to the left. As we left what could only be described as a secret compound, we found our way out into the open.

Zan was right – we still had the cover of darkness, although the light from three moons did give more light than what we were used to on Earth.

“Wow.” Maria said, following my gaze to the three moons.

“I know.” I replied, feeling exactly what she was feeling at this moment.

“We’re not in Kansas anymore Toto.” Maria sighed.

I couldn’t agree more.
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) Ch 66 7/6/09

Post by Oz »

Sorry for the delay - I was suffering from a slight case of writer's block! Hopefully that is all behind me now.

Liz POV

We reached our destination in safety – our arrival obviously having been missed by Kivar’s spies. Maria and I were taken to a room to ourselves where we could refresh ourselves from the journey with sleep, baths and food. I wouldn’t have been surprised if Max had ordered a guard at the door, but I never opened the door to find out. I was glad to be away from Max, Isabel and Michael for the moment while I gathered my thoughts.

Max’s loss of memory had thrown me for a loop. I had pictured coming to Antar with Max and experiencing his world with him as his wife. Our connection would be enough to defeat Kivar, and as a team, we could bring his people back to a world of peace.

I did not picture him shooting me looks of loathing and disgust like I was a slug beneath his shoe.

With the connection broken, as I was sure it was, I wasn’t sure whether Max would be as strong as he would need to be to defeat Kivar. Without the four-square, and without me, I feared that his life would end the same way as it had before. But this time there was unlikely to be a second chance resurrection.

I needed to find a way of getting through to Max – this alien Max. I had to get the connection back. I had to make him remember our love. But how?

There was a light tap at the door before Zan entered.

“Liz? How are you feeling?” Zan asked.

“I’m okay, all things considered.” I replied.

Zan just nodded in understanding.

“So… what’s happening out there?” I asked, indicating to the world that was going on outside my door.

“The leaders of the resistance are meeting with the Royal Three to brainstorm strategies.” Zan explained.

“Do you think we have a chance against Kivar and his army?” I asked.

“We have to. There’s no room for failure – too many lives are depending on us.” Zan lowered his head.

“Then tell me what I can do to help.” I begged.

“Nothing. There’s nothing you can do.” Zan shook his head.

“There has to be.” I exclaimed. “I have all these powers.”

“So do many of us here, but without the added strength you get from your connection with Max, there’s no use sacrificing your life or the life of the baby.” Zan explained.

“Well then, I guess I’ll just have to get that connection back.” I stated.

“It’s impossible. I know Max – he’s stubborn.”

“I know him too – and I’ve somehow made him fall in love with before. I can do it again.” I replied.

“Max isn’t the same person he used to be – he may not be someone that you would want to be with anymore.” Zan pointed out.

“If it helps Max and helps his people… I have to try.”

“Okay, but don’t say I didn’t warn you.” Zan warned.

I gulped. Now I just had to work out how to do it.

At that moment there was a light tapping at the door.

“Sir? We need you.” A man addressed Zan as he poked his head through the door. He took a sideways glance at Maria and I, the curiosity evident on his face. It was obvious that rumours had spread about the ‘humans’ that they had locked up here.

“I’m on my way.” Zan acknowledged, heading to the door.

“Let me come to.” I begged.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea…” Zan replied.

“How am I supposed to rebuild my connection with Max from in here?” I pointed out.

“Okay, just … try to be inconspicuous.” Zan pleaded.

I wondered what Zan meant by that, but on leaving the room I noticed how much attention Maria and I was getting from the Antarians. By the time we reached our destination, we seemed to be drawing a substantial crowd of onlookers.

“Why is everyone staring at us?” I whispered to Zan as we entered the room.

“Because you’re an alien.” Zan stated, as if it should have been obvious.

I guess it should have been.

“Of course.” I sighed.

All these years of wondering how Max, Michael, Isabel and even Tess felt about being aliens on Earth, I now had first had experience. Maria and I didn’t belong here.

But Max did. And Max couldn’t look like he belonged any more than he did at this moment.

There was a hologram image of a man in the middle of the room, and from the look of him and the way everyone seemed to be afraid, the image was of Kivar.

He was a handsome looking man, but he was weathered, and there was something about his eyes – they were piercing – they were evil.

Max was standing before him – the only person in the room that was looking Kivar in the eyes.

“You will pay for everything you have done.” Max sneered.

“And how exactly do you intend on making that happen?” Kivar grinned. “I found you. I can get to you. You are weak. You can trust no one. My people are everywhere.”

“Really?” Max laughed, almost cockily.

At that moment one of the guards that had been skulking at the back of the room came rushing towards Max with a dagger in his hand – aimed for Max’s throat.

“No!” I screamed, milliseconds before Max ducked out of the way while Michael grabbed the guard by the throat and gave his neck a sharp snap. The guard’s body slumped to the floor and was quickly dragged out of the room.

“Next.” Max ordered Kivar to bring on his next trick.

Kivar seemed lost for words, and as I turned my attention from Max to Kivar, I knew exactly why.

He was staring at me.

“H-hmm.” Max cleared his throat, diverting Kivar’s attention back to him.

“That was just a bit of fun. Next time my men won’t fail.” Kivar warned.

“What? You’re not going to face me yourself?” Max jeered.

“It’s getting more and more tempting by the day.” Kivar replied, taking one more glance at me before signing off. “Don’t get too complacent – you won’t have to wait long before you see me again. But if I was you, I would run while I had the chance.”

“And if I were you, I’d be counting down the hours until any reign you had over this planet is taken away from you.” Max replied.

Kivar just smiled wryly before the hologram disappeared.

There was general discussion from the witnesses in the room as to what had just taken place, but it only lasted until Max broke away from the group and came storming in my direction.

“What is she doing here?” Max demanded from Zan, as though suddenly noticing my presence.

“I brought her.” Zan replied, the only person in the room that had the guts to stand up to the former king.

“You shouldn’t have.” Max replied, giving me only a momentary sideways glance.

“I made him.” I interjected.

You made him?” Max almost laughed at the thought that Zan was bossed around by a woman.

“Can we focus here?” Michael interrupted my well-thought out retort that was on the tip of my tongue.

Max gave me another look up and down before walking back to the group. Zan immediately followed to join him. Maria and I were left on the side of the room as onlookers – not where I pictured myself to be when the strategy decisions were being made.

I walked over to the window and looked out onto this strange world we had found ourselves in. We must have been in some sort of old warehouse, linked by I-don’t-know-how-many tunnels and levels underground. I hadn’t been able to see much on our way here from the Granolith chamber, but now I was able to see the world that looked vaguely familiar from my dreams. The three moons were just visible, though it was still daylight, and as the sun set the sky turned a much darker pink than it had been when I had first entered the room.

As I looked up what appeared to be the main street, there were suddenly more people there than what had been a few moments ago. As I watched, the numbers continued to increase until a large crowd had formed. I thought that it must have been some sort of demonstration, until I realised that many of them were looking in our direction.

“Zan… I think you need to take a look at this.” I suggested.

“What is it?” Zan asked, immediately joining me by the window.

“Crap. Crap.” Zan swore, before addressing the room. “Time for talking is over ladies and gentlemen.”

Max moved over to us by the window, and I couldn’t help but get goosebumps by his sudden proximity . I wasn’t sure whether it was because Max still had the ability to give me wonderful shivers, or because his recent coldness towards me was manifesting itself in a physical reaction.

“They’ve found our location.” Max stated. “Get all the men you have on the exits and make sure they are well armed. War is upon us.”

“What can I do?” I repeated the question I had previously asked Zan.

“Nothing.” Max replied. “Just stay here and try not to get yourself killed.”

“No.” I replied defiantly.

“No?” Max repeated, as if it was a word he had never heard before.

“You need me – you just can’t admit it.” I continued.

Max laughed the type of laugh that made me want to slap him. I refrained.

“You’re human.” Max scoffed as though I was the lowest life form on the planet.

“Max would have made a better king than you.” I addressed Max as though he and his old self were two different people. It was the only way I could come to grips with how different this Max was to the one I knew and loved.

“Max was too human – he couldn’t lead the way I can – he couldn’t fight the way I can.” Max replied.

“You got yourself killed last time you faced Kivar if I recall the story correctly.” I pointed out.

Max didn’t respond immediately, but I could see the veins pop on the side of his neck.

“Face it – you don’t have the four-square without Ava. You and I had a connection – with it we can defeat Kivar.” I tried to explain.

“I will not lower myself to connect with a human.” Max spat, before turning to Michael. “What’s our position?”

“Kivar’s army is almost upon us. He has about two hundred men surrounding the building.”

“What do we have?” Max asked.

“Maybe fifty. We’ve got a handful at each exit, but that won’t be able to hold Kivar’s men back for long.” Michael replied.

“Maybe you should…” Michael added, indicating to me standing behind Max.

“No.” Max replied as soon as he knew what Michael was suggesting.

“You know how powerful we were with the four-square. If your connection has even a sliver of that power, we would have a fighting chance.”

“No!” Max replied even more sternly, refusing to look at me the whole time.

“You’re a stubborn, ignorant fool!” I exclaimed, unable to stand by and watch him throw away the only chance he had to help his people.

“And you are nothing to me – less than nothing!” Max shouted back, his eyes flaming.

The fierceness of his statement made me almost back down and give up the fight – accepting that his own stubbornness was going to lead to his downfall – but this was Max we were talking about. I would give my life for the Max I used to know and I was sure he was still in there somewhere.

“Max.” I said quietly, before raising my voice and placing my hands either side of Max’s face. “Max! Look at me. I have to tell you something before I don’t get another chance.”

“Take your hands off me.” Max struggled, but I was determined.

“I’m not talking to you.” I replied, talking to the ‘new’ Max. “I need to talk to my Max.”

I watched as a flicker of something passed over Max’s face. Was it recognition? Understanding? I didn’t know, but I took it as encouragement to continue.

“Max. I didn’t tell you this before because I was worried that it would impact on your decision to let me come with you to Antar, but I should have. I had no right to keep this from you. And now, now that there’s a chance that I’ll lose you – I have to tell you while I have the chance… I’m pregnant. We’re having a baby.” I blurted.

I watched as Max’s face contorted with what seemed to be an internal struggle, before his lips came crashing down on mine as he picked me up and swung me around the room. My chest swelled as I felt our connection scream back to life with so much force that it almost winded me.

“Liz? Oh Liz.” Max breathed as our lips parted.

“Max? You remember me?” I stammered. I had hoped that I could get through to Max, but I didn’t expect to be successful.

“It’s me. I’m so sorry – I’m so sorry.” He apologised, burying his head in my neck. “I was such an ass.”

“It wasn’t you.” I consoled.

“It was the worst of me. I told him what you were to me, but he wouldn’t listen.” Max explained. “I have been trying so hard to get a message to you…”

“Are you here to stay?” I asked desperately.

“Now that the connection is back we’ll be inseparable – I’ll make sure of it.” Max promised.

And I believed him.
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) Ch 67 13/7/09

Post by Oz »

Thanks for all the feedback. Here's the next instalment!

Warning - this update contains some violence...

Max POV

I don’t know how to even begin to explain how it felt the moment the Granolith left planet Earth. It was as though I was flooded with a lifetime of memories – the other lifetime I had previously spent on Antar as King Zan. I remembered my parents, my childhood growing up as the heir to the throne, and I remembered Ava. Most of all, I remember the last day of my life.

When I came to, it wasn’t just that I now remembered every moment of my previous life, but it was as though the old Zan took control. The King had returned. Stubborn and headstrong. He believed he knew best – despite the fact that he had all of my memories too. He knew exactly what Liz meant to me, and exactly what our connection could be. But as I said, he was stubborn and headstrong.

Now that I had overcome my former self, it was all on me to lead the resistance against Kivar. This was a prospect that would have been daunting to me a week ago, but now – now I had my memories on how to lead like a King. And I had something my old self didn’t have – I had Liz. And we were going to have a baby…

“Orders?” Michael barked, breaking my attention from the mother of my child.

“I want you to pull your people off the doors. Bring them all back here to this room.” I ordered.

“Are you mad?” Michael asked.

“Just trust me.” I replied.

Michael gave me a look as if to suggest that he didn’t agree with what I was doing, but he would obey his King. Very much like Rath – not at all like Michael. I knew he must be faced with the same internal struggle as me, and debated whether or not to help him break out of it. It didn’t take me long to decide that I needed a second in command that would do what I asked – no matter what. Michael would have to wait.

“What’s your plan?” Liz asked me, putting a light hand on my arm. Just that touch sent so much electricity through my body, that I knew that we had a chance if we could use that electricity against Kivar and his men.

“We’re just going to stand here and wait.” I shrugged.

We didn’t have to wait long. No sooner than the last of our people entered the room, we heard feet pounding up the hallway.

“Okay, I want everyone behind Liz and I.” I ordered, taking Liz’s hand and stepping out to the middle of the room.

The door burst open, and the first of Kivar’s men poured into the room, their weapons raised in our direction. They seemed shocked to find no resistance.

“Put your weapons down and we promise that none of you will be hurt.” I offered.

I was expecting a few scoffs at the thought that they would need protection from us, but they just seemed dumbfounded. It seemed as though nobody here had any idea what to do. I realised then that these men had been sent in as sacrificial lambs – even Kivar had expected some sort of fight from us.

“It’s not too late to change who and what you are fighting for.” I offered. “Kivar doesn’t care if you live or die. With your help, I can bring peace back to this land - if you’ll let me.”

There were a few looks between themselves as though they were contemplating the idea, so I continued.

“How many of you are here because joining Kivar was the only way to ensure that your families would be protected from his reign? How many of you have lost someone you love under his rule? Make it end now. Join us and I promise you that we’ll win.” I promised. “Antar can return to its former glory.”

One man stepped forward from the group.

“Kivar is waiting on our signal that we’ve infiltrated your hideout before he follows in the second wave. He wanted us to contain you so that he could be the one to kill you.” The man confessed, bowing his head in shame that he was a part of the plan.

“You traitor!” Another man screamed, raising his weapon and aiming it at the confessor.

“Stop.” I called, immediately placing a protective force-field between the two men. At the same moment, Liz shot a blast of electricity towards the man with the gun, causing him to fly through the air and hit the wall behind him – knocking him unconscious.

There were general murmuring among the men, and all of their eyes were staring at Liz like they had never seen anything like here before. An alien.

“I’m sure you must have heard the rumours that the King has returned with a new Queen – a human Queen. Well the rumours are true, and you haven’t yet seen what she is capable of. If you think Antarian’s are powerful – you ain’t seen nothing yet.” I smirked. “So … what will it be? Join us, or face Kivar’s fate?”

Every man in the room relaxed his hold on his weapon, and knelt in submission.

“What now sire?” Michael asked.

“I want you to get everyone out of here. Once it is clear, we’ll let off the signal and let Kivar come to us.” I ordered.

“How many men do you want to remain behind?” Michael asked.

“None. Just Liz and I.” I replied.

“You can’t be serious?” Michael replied.

“I am. I need you to get everyone else out safely.” I confirmed.

“No, Max. You need us.” This time it was Isabel to argue. Zan and Maria were close behind. “If you think the four-square was strong – just imagine what the four-and-a-half-square can be.” Isabel said, touching Liz’s stomach lightly.

“Besides, you need to give us a chance to fight. We have been waiting for this day for so many years – you can’t expect us to miss the ending.” Zan added.

“Fine. Whoever wants to stay can stay.” I agreed.

No one made a move to leave. It seemed we now had an army.

“Okay, so if we’re all staying, then there’s nothing left to do but send the signal.”

One of Kivar’s men stepped forward and raised his hand towards the window, and out of his palm blasted a stream of light that I could only describe as being akin to a ‘bat-signal’. I wondered if Kivar knew just how corny that seemed – and not exactly discreet.

“And now we wait.” I announced to the quiet room.

Liz and I took our place in the middle of the room again, but this time we were joined by Michael, Isabel, Zan and Maria.

“Maria – you should get to safety.” Liz pleaded with Maria.

“I am safe – I’m with you. I know nothing will happen to me.” Maria replied.

Liz just nodded in understanding.

“Besides, I need to be here to slap Michael upside the head when this is over so that he remembers me again.”

Michael glared at Maria, but she didn’t seem phased.

“It’s time.” I interrupted, having heard the thumping of boots down the corridor.

This time when the door burst open, we had two hundred and fifty people on our side so the sides were even – which was something that was apparently unexpected. Weapons were raised on both sides of the room, but no one fired.

“I’ll give you the same offer as your comrades.” I addressed the impeding army. “Put your weapons down and we promise that none of you will be hurt.”

There was similar murmuring from the throng, but it was clear that these men were higher up Kivar’s food chain, and much less likely to take my offer seriously. Or maybe it had something to do with the company they kept…

The crowd began to part to let someone through to the front line. From the fear in the men’s eyes, I knew before I saw him, that it was Kivar.

“Zan, Zan, Zan…” Kivar shook his head. “Always trying to save the unsaveable. Or do you go by the name Max now?”

“Kivar.” I seethed. The memory of my death, so recently reacquired, was seared into my brain.

“Well, I must say that I’m surprised to see you here. I would have thought that you would have been abandoning your people and running for the hills like last time.” Kivar smirked.

“You’re one to talk. Correct me if I’m wrong, but last time, didn’t you let others fight your battle for you?” I countered, knowing full well that he was only trying to undermine my authority. I didn’t die running, I died trying to save my family – but it wasn’t worth my breathe to correct him. The truth would be evident by the time the sun set today.

“Perhaps.” Kivar conceded, taking a glance at Isabel who was giving Kivar a look that would have made less of a man shrivel up and die on the spot. “Isabel.” Kivar acknowledged with a nod of the head. “It’s nice to see you again. I’ve missed you.”

“I can’t say the feeling’s mutual.” Isabel sneered.

“Ouch. A woman scorned…”

“Enough reminiscing. Can we get back to the present?” I asked.

“Sure. Keen to bring on your own death?” Kivar smiled.

“No. I’m keen to bring on yours.” I grinned.

“Really? And how do you intend to do that?” Kivar sniggered, but despite his bravado, I couldn’t help but notice the nervous sideways glance Kivar gave to Liz.

“I think you know exactly how.” I replied confidently, taking Liz’s hand in mine.

“I had heard reports that the old King was slumming it with a human. I didn’t think that even you would sink that far. I have nothing to fear of her.” Kivar replied dismissively. Now I probably wasn’t the only one in the room that could tell he was getting nervous – it was written all over his face. He knew what Liz could do but didn’t want to admit it.

A millisecond before Kivar’s hand shot up to fire a ball of fire in Liz’s direction, Liz and my hands went up and shot green bolts of electricity back at in defence, sending Kivar’s fireball off course. At that moment Kivar pulled the closest soldier in front of him to act as a shield and take the full brunt of the blast that had been meant for him. As the man died, and went limp in Kivar’s hands, Kivar ran to take cover behind the first and second lines of soldiers – knowing full well that our attack would stop if other people’s lives were at risk.

“Come back here you coward!” I roared, and the crowd parted in fear at the vehemence in my voice. Kivar found his path blocked at the exit by soldiers either too slow to move out of his way, or finally ready to put an end to all of this. With Kivar’s back exposed to me, he had no choice but to turn around.

“You won’t kill me. You couldn’t do it last time, and your years with this human have made you soft. What makes you think that you can do it now?” Kivar asked.

“Because this time I only have to look at the five hundred faces in this room to know that, despite my faults, their lives would be better off under my rule than yours. You are the only thing standing in the way of peace and prosperity.” I replied.

It was true. Last time I was faced with an army set to take my throne, I had doubted my ability to rule the planet. Surely if I had been a good king, there wouldn’t have been so many people willing to take up arms against me. I wasn’t always just and I wasn’t always fair, but I did the best I could with the upbringing I had.

Now, after all those years on Earth, and having someone like Liz love me, I was sure that I was a better man for it. I could do great things for this planet, and I wasn’t prepared to see any more lives destroyed. It was time to step up.

Kivar looked around at his soldiers for support, but they either wouldn’t meet his eye, or they deliberately raised their weapons in his direction. It seemed that everyone was ready for a new era of change.

“Arrest him.” I ordered Michael and others from the resistance. “Take him to the dungeons.”

Michael went to make a move towards Kivar.

“I told you that you were a coward.” Kivar spat at my feet.

“I’m not a coward – I’m just fair. No man on Antar can be executed without a fair trial.” I replied.

Kivar just sneered at me as Michael went to bind his hands behind his back. Before anyone knew what was happening, Kivar pulled a knife out of his sleeve and stabbed Michael in the stomach before racing towards the window and jumping through it to freedom.

“No!” Maria screamed, rushing to Michael and softening his fall to the ground. “Liz! Max! Help him!”

It only took a moment for me to determine my priorities. I could have gone after Kivar, but his death wasn’t worth risking Michael’s life.

Liz and I immediately rushed over to Michael, and I pulled the knife out of Michael’s stomach before placing my hands over the wound. Liz placed her hands on mine, and together we concentrating on healing Michael’s wound. Our combined power meant that Michael was healed in almost no time, and was immediately trying to stand up. It was then that I noticed the mad panic that was going on around us as others followed Kivar out the window, while others headed for the door. Perhaps I had lost my opportunity, and the recently converted soldiers would rejoin Kivar now that he wasn’t surrounded?

“Max? What do we do?” Liz asked. “We can’t just let him get away.”

“He tried to kill Michael.” Maria interjected.

“Let’s go.” I replied to the both of them, taking Liz’s hand in mine as we jumped through the same window Kivar had disappeared through. We would soon know our fate.

Not far ahead in the clearing, we found the soldiers gathered, but they didn’t seem to even notice our approach – they weren’t lying in wait for us. Pushing our way to the front, we found Kivar surrounded and under gunpoint from a hundred rifles. A couple of the larger men, were beating him to a pulp – his eyes already turning black and blue as blood ran down his cheek. Other people from the town began to gather as well to see Kivar’s downfall, so the throng was swelling every second.

“Help me.” Kivar begged as we entered the clearing.

“How many people did you help while you were ruling? How many people did you take pity on? How many of them got a fair trial?” I demanded.

Kivar was silent.

“Then let me ask you this – how many people died under your rule? How many people were enslaved? How many people suffered?” I questioned.

Kivar was silent again.

This time I turned to the people gathered. “How many of you have suffered? How many of you lost someone you loved? How many of you lived in fear?”

Every person standing there raised their hands.

“You wanted a trial? There you have it. All of these witnesses have made statements against you. I find you guilty of murder, treason, and crimes against Antarians. Your punishment? The death penalty.” I gave my verdict.

I nodded at the soldiers who been beating Kivar, and currently had him under their restraints. I then took Liz’s hand and left the clearing. The unmistakable sound of a neck breaking filled the air before the crowd started roaring with cheers. Kivar’s lifeless body continued to be beaten while those people who had suffered got their revenge.

“You did it.” Liz turned my attention away from the crowd, and squeezed my hand.

“I couldn’t have done it without you.” I smiled back.

“Actually, I think you could have. I really didn’t do much.” Liz replied.

“Yes you did. You gave me strength, clarity and focus. You made me into the leader I should have always been.” I replied.

“Well, in that case, you’re welcome.” Liz smiled.
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) Ch 68 30/7/09

Post by Oz »

Thanks for the push. I needed it. I can't believe it has been 2 months!

I wasn't sure how I wanted to proceed with this, and I eventually wrote what was supposed to be the concluding chapter. However, it has taken on a life of its own so there will be a few more parts coming. I hope you like what I've done.

17 years later…

Max Jnr POV

The desert is different to what I had imagined. The sky is bluer, the sand is hotter, and the heat is so much drier. Despite the number of answers my mother would give me to my endless questions as an inquisitive 4 year old, she could never make me understand what it was like to actually be here. I had to see it for myself. It was my dream. No, it was more than that – it was my destiny.

My father wasn’t happy with the idea first. I guess he was worried about letting the heir to his throne not only out of his sight, but off the planet. But once mum pointed out that he was being a bit hypocritical, he came around. I mean, he spent his youth growing up on this planet – how could he complain about me coming for a vacation? I am the same age as he was when he left there to come home.

Home. It was so far away from where I was now, but it didn’t seem like such a long way knowing that I had my transportation home. My dad had told me about his time on Earth many times, and one of the things that was hardest for him was knowing that he didn’t belong on Earth, but couldn’t get home either. He was stuck on Earth as far as he knew. He had the Granolith, but didn’t know how to use it. I had the Granolith waiting to take me home. I could look around, take my time, and return when I was ready – and hopefully before my parents died from worry about me!

When my father had eventually returned to Antar, he dramatically retook the throne and restored the planet to how it used to be under his own father’s rule. He is a good leader. Political commentators claim he is the finest king Antar has ever had. I don’t know if they are saying that just because he is still alive and they don’t want to get on his bad side or whether they truly believe it, but I tend to believe it is the latter. I have never heard a bad thing said against him since he returned with my mother. There was plenty said about his rule prior to Kivar’s takeover, but not since he returned from Earth. I think Earth was good for him.

I think my mother has been good for him. I’ve heard people say that my father used to be selfish and unpredictable, ‘deciding the fate of armies with a flip of a coin’. I don’t know if that is true, but I once asked my father about it and while he didn’t admit it, he didn’t deny it either. Now, he was level-headed and fair. He not only put an end to Kivar’s tyrannical rule, but he put in place a government made up of representatives of the people – something he learned from his time on Earth. And he wasn’t selfish – he put all others before himself, and none more so than my mother and I.

You could see the love they had for each other, even after all these years. I was now a teenager, and sometimes when watching them together, I felt as though I was the adult in the room. They acted like lovesick teenagers sometimes and I pretended to be embarrassed, but I was secretly happy for them. I only wished that I could find someone who I could love like that one day - someone I could be in love with every single day for the rest of my life.

It wasn’t as though my parents life on Antar has been a breeze from the start. I’ve been told that there were many people that were scared of her and Aunty Maria because they were aliens. If anyone has ever spent anytime with my mum and Aunty Maria they would know that they couldn’t hurt a fly (unless, in Aunty Maria’s case, your name is Rath and you’ve done something to upset her yet again). But some people didn’t take the chance to get to know them.

For the first few months of my mother’s life on Antar, she was confined to the castle with two trusted bodyguards assigned to her at all times with instructions to shoot first and ask questions later. It may have seemed like overkill, but my father wasn’t taking any chances when it came to my mother’s safety. He had information to suggest that her life was in danger, and he wasn’t going to let anything happen to her. How did my father know about this plot to kill her? My mother dreamt it.

Turns out that when an Antarian heals a Human, the Human can develop powers beyond what a normal Human is capable of. My mother did that after my father saved her life on Earth. She was working in her parents café when a gun went off. She was shot and would have died if my father hadn’t been there and used his healing powers to save her life. I’ve heard the story a thousand times before, particularly since it has been turned into a fairy tale. Children are told the story as soon as they are old enough to listen. It’s folklore. It’s romantic. It’s the reason I wanted to come to Earth so badly – I wanted to see where my parents met.

Anyway, my mother predicted that when she came to Antar with my dad, that she would be taken from him and executed. She saw that was going to happen, yet she still came. I don’t know if that was brave or stupid or what. But it didn’t come to pass. They were able to change their future, and my mother is not only still alive, but well respected by everyone. Every girl wants to be her, and every boy looks for her qualities in their future mates. I’m proud to have her as my mother.

So here I am - recently having disembarked the granolith and now taking the long walk into the town in which my mother was born, and where my father grew up. I came to see it for myself – to follow my heritage and see where I came from.

As dusk settled over the land, I felt more and more like home. The sky turned pink and I thought of my own parents sitting under the Antarian pink sky. I hoped they were worrying about me. I hoped they were happy. I hoped they were as excited for me as I was. There was something electric in the air that gave me shivers down my spine – like my life was about to change forever – and I couldn’t wait for it to happen.

Stepping into the Crashdown, I looked around at the alien-themed restaurant where my parents’ lives first became entwined forever. From what my mother had described, it hadn’t changed much. Paintings of aliens covered the walls, almost all of them completely unrealistic and so far for the truth that it was laughable – almost all of them. One of them caught my attention and I couldn’t help but feel almost homesick at the sight of it. It was a painting of what looked like the clouds parting as something faster than a rocket shot between them. Something that looked remarkably like the Granolith…

“Welcome to the Crashdown, may I show you to a seat or a booth?” A girl’s voice interrupted my thoughts.

My father had a penchant for the booths.

“A booth please.” I replied, before following her to the booth in the corner under the painting. I couldn’t help but gaze up at it again and shudder at the resemblance to reality. I had seen the Granolith leave Antar many times in the past sixteen years, and the only difference between what I had seen and what the picture depicted, was the colour of the sky.

“I see you are admiring the painting.” The girl observed.

“Yeah. It’s a little different to the other pictures in here.” I replied, glancing around at the paintings of grey-skinned aliens with three antennae’s and flying saucers.

“This was painted by a local who swears they saw this rocket fly out of the rocks in the desert about seventeen years ago.” The girl explained.

“But you don’t think it was real?” I asked, detecting the cynicism in her voice.

“How could it be real?” She replied. “There’s no such thing as aliens.”

“Yet you work in an alien-themed restaurant.” I pointed out. “Surely it’s a prerequisite to believe in aliens.”

“Not when you are related to the owner.” The girl replied. “Anyway, I’ll send Beth, your waitress, over to take your order shortly.”

I watched the girl walk away, and thought about my mum and what she would have been like when she was working here. My grandfather owned the restaurant then, and my mother worked there for as long as she could remember. I do believe she once told me a story about how she used to show fake alien photos to gullible tourists, but that was before meeting my dad. I wondered how she felt after she knew the truth? That there were aliens out there. Did it make her skin crawl to work in a place like this?

I wondered if my grandfather still owned the restaurant? My mother had been home a couple of times since leaving Earth for Antar, but only when she could bring herself to leave my father’s side. My father couldn’t bring himself to leave Antar again, and I was never allowed to come. My parents thought it was too dangerous for me. I think they were worried that I would expose my powers while I was too young to control them, and then through puberty when I couldn’t have controlled them if I wanted to. The last time my mother had come, her parents had been contemplating selling the restaurant.

“My name is Beth and I’ll be your waitress today. Are you ready to order?” A voice that sounded like starlight interrupted my thoughts. I looked up to see a beautiful young girl with the face of an angel standing before me.

“Uh, not quite.” I replied, fumbling to open the menu that I had in front of me. “Any recommendations?”

“I personally like the ‘Blood-of-Alien Smoothie’ and ‘Will Smith Burger’.” She replied.

“Sounds great. I’ll have those thanks.” I replied with a smile. Who the hell was Will Smith?

“Are you in town for the Crash Festival?” The girl observed after writing down my order.

Ahhh, the Crash Festival. My mum had told me about that. It looks like I timed my trip well.

“Yes. I enjoy any chance I get to dress up as an alien.” Oh, the irony.

I was an alien. It was a new experience for me. I always thought of my mum as being the one who was from another planet, but now it was me.

“I hope you don’t mind me saying, but you really don’t seem like the type.” The girl blushed.

And I forgot to breath. When she looked into my eyes I felt like she knew me already even though we had only just met.

“Okay, maybe the costume thing isn’t really my thing, but I’ve heard it is a bit of fun. Will you be going?” I asked, hoping that it didn’t sound as desperate out loud as it did to me.

“Yeah, I go with a bunch of friends every year. You should come with us, unless you were already planning on going with someone else?” The girl added shyly.

“No.” I replied, and as her face fell I realised that I hadn’t explained what part of her question I was answering. “No, I don’t have any plans to go with anyone else. I’d love to join you.”

“Great. We’re meeting here at 7 o’clock tonight.” She smiled, before walking back to the counter.

I watched as she placed the order with the chef, and then step behind the counter to make my drink. The girl who seated me was immediately at Beth’s side and with the several indiscreet glances my way, I didn’t have to try too hard to guess what – or who - they were talking about. The blush that crept over Beth’s face made my heart race and I ducked my head so she wouldn’t see me watching her and cause her any more embarrassment.

For the duration of my meal, I tried to find other opportunities to speak to Beth without sounding desperate. When she brought over my drink, we talked about the weather – hot and dry. When she brought my burger, I asked her about things to do in Roswell while I’m here – turns out there’s not that much besides the UFO museum across the road. When she cleared my table I asked her what she does when she’s not working here – school and hanging out with friends, particularly her best friend – the girl at the counter – Marissa.

As I paid the bill, I wondered whether Beth’s offer to join her at the festival the following night was still on, but I needn’t have worried.

“See you at 7?” Beth said, a question more than a statement.

“I’ll be here.” I smiled. “My name is Max by the way.”

“It’s nice to meet you Max.” Beth smiled, putting out her hand to take mine.

As I reached to take her hand, I could feel the energy between our palms before we even touched. It grew in intensity as the millimetres between our hands closed. The moment our palms touched, I saw all of the turning moments of her life played out before my eyes.

Whipping her hand away, I could only imagine what Beth had seen on her side of the connection. I desperately searched her eyes for signs of fear, and while it may have been there at a subconscious level, the more dominant emotions were confusion and fascination. I could live with that.

“See you tonight.” I smiled and hastily made an exit with as much grace as I could muster.

I was now a firm believer in love at first sight.

With a human.

Oh crap. My parents were going to love this.
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) Ch 69 30/9/09

Post by Oz »

Hi All. Thanks for all the feedback :D

Here's a nice long part for you. I should have been studying, and I'll now have a very late night, so send me lots of feeback to tell me it was all worth it :wink:

Enjoy!

Max Jnr POV

I had a few hours to kill before meeting Beth back at the Crashdown, and it take me a lot less time than that to look around the town. There was nothing going on here, but I guess that was why my Dad liked it so much - it was easier to see what was coming. One thing that I was keen to do was check out the UFO Centre, if only for a good laugh - oh, and some ideas for a costume.

Most of the UFO Centre was filled with large displays of the crash and alien autopsies that made me shudder at the thought. My father had told me briefly about what had happened to some of the protectors from his ship, and now I understood why he didn’t say more. What captured my interest the most, however, were the walls of photographs of apparent UFO sightings. Some of them were no more than a small dot in the sky, possibly nothing other than a bird or a plane, but others, the more recent photos, depicted something that looked remarkably like the Granolith. It seemed that the UFO Centre got a whole lot more interesting seventeen years ago when a UFO was captured on film leaving Earth, rather than arriving.

The final photo almost made my heart stop - it was a photo of my father. The caption below the photo linked his sudden exit from the town to the timing of the sighting of the Granolith. Maybe now I could truly understand why my father had never returned home during all of these years. What I didn’t understand, however, is why he was the only one implicated? He wasn’t the only one to leave Roswell that day.

“I see that photo has struck your interest.” A voice came up behind me.

“Well yeah. You think this guy is a real life alien?” I said, pulling my long hair further down around my face in an attempt to hide any resemblance to the photo.

“It’s a theory.” The man replied.

“He looks so normal. Why do you think he’s an alien?” I asked.

“He used to be an employee here. There were always a few odd things happening when he was around, and then he leaves out of the blue without saying anything the same day the departure sighting was made. His parents were suspiciously vague when I called to ask of his whereabouts.”

“Surely that’s just a coincidence.” I scoffed disbelievingly. This guy, while correct in his suspicions, had no proof. Dad had told me that his parents had left Roswell shortly after his and Aunt Isabel’s disappearance. They now lived in Miami.

“Maybe, but it brings in the tourists’ dollars.” The man smiled before walking away to attend to someone else.

Well at least I didn’t have to worry too much about him taking the photo too seriously. I looked at the photo more closely. My father was my age in that picture. I could see the resemblance. My mother had always said that I looked just like my father, but with her eyes. I could see how true it was, well, except for the hair.

I had been meaning to cut it for a while, now that it was passed my shoulders, but I’d resorted to tying it back in a ponytail to keep it out of my face. Now seemed like a good a time as any to make the change. I also had brought with me the jacket that my father was wearing in this photo – a brown leather jacket that my father had never been able to bring himself to throw out, despite its inappropriateness for Antar. He’d given it to me before I left for Earth, along with some other human clothes, on the off-chance that they wouldn’t be too dated.

So now I had a costume for the festival.

At five minutes to 7 o’clock, I walked into the Crashdown, with my new haircut, my father’s denim jeans and brown leather jacket, and a pair dark sunglasses. The café was half-filled with people in alien costumes, while the other half were looking rightly confused by what they had stepped into. I made my way to the counter and took a seat on one of the stools, hoping that Beth would appear soon to save me from making small talk with the guy with three heads next to me.

I didn’t have to wait long before Beth appeared through the double doors that lead out to the kitchen. She scanned the restaurant before her eyes settled on mine. My heart skipped a beat at the look of happiness that twinkled in her eyes on finding that I was there.

“Hey.” Beth said once she strode over to me. She was wearing a skin tight purple lycra suit that was studded with diamantes and black stripes. She had bold purple and black eye makeup and her hair was pulled back. She was beautiful.

“Hey.” I replied. Original, so I added. “I love your costume.”

“Thanks. Yours too. The photo from the UFO Centre right?” Beth confirmed, recognising my inspiration for the costume.

“Yeah.” I replied surprised that she had recognised it, and perhaps a little concerned. Maybe I had done the wrong thing deliberately dressing as the town’s suspected resident alien.

“I like your hair like that. It suits you.” She smiled, as she ran her fingers through my now much shorter locks.

“Thanks.” I blushed, and tried to ignore the electricity shooting through me at her touch.

“Look, Marissa is having a costume issue, so we’re running a little behind. You don’t mind coming up while we sort it out?” Beth asked.

“Of course not.” I replied, trying to curb my enthusiasm. If Beth said ‘up’, I was assuming she was referring to my mother’s old apartment. I couldn’t wait to see where my mother had grown up. Even if it was now changed by the current owners, I’m sure I could still get a sense of what it was like when she lived there.

On walking into the apartment I couldn’t help but be blown away by how much it just felt familiar. I think it was the smell of the place – it smelt like my mom.

“Wait here.” Beth requested, leaving me in the living room, while she went to attend to Marissa, who was obviously in a room down the hall.

“Sure.” I replied, before taking a look around the room. It wasn’t long before my eyes were drawn to the photos on the mantelpiece. I picked up the one closest to me and let out a gasp. It was a photo of me.

I glanced at the other photos on the mantle and realised there were many other photos there of me when I was growing up, and a few of my mother. None of my father.

“That’s my grandson.” A voice explained from the other side of the room, noticing the photo that I had picked up.

“I know.” I replied as I turned around and faced him. It was his turn to let out a gasp.

“Max?” My grandfather gasped.

“Jnr.” I corrected.

“Of course.” Grandpa acknowledged. “I’m sorry. We haven’t received any photos in a few years and you’re the spitting image of your father the last time I saw him – except you have my daughter’s eyes.”

“So she likes to remind me often.” I smiled.

“What are you doing here?” He asked.

“I guess I wanted to see where my parents came from.” I replied. “I only arrived today. I didn’t realise you still lived here. Beth invited me up. We’re going to the Crash Festival.”

“Well, come here and give your Grandfather a hug.” Grandpa held out his arms. I immediately stepped into them, and tried to block out the onslaught of images that threatened to overbear me through the connection. I felt the emotions my grandfather experienced while my mother was dating my father, and his fears for her during that time. I saw the gratitude and respect he now held for my father and I could also see that my mother’s absence had affected him deeply.

“I’d better get your Grandmother in here or I’ll never here the end of it. NANCY!” Grandpa hollered.

“What is it?” My grandmother’s voice called down the hallway before she stopped short in the entranceway on seeing me. “Max?”

“Jnr.” My grandfather corrected.

“Of course it’s Max Jnr – unless these aliens have discovered the fountain of youth, in which case I’m going to hunt your father down for not sharing it with us!” She laughed, as she hobbled over to me to give me a hug.

“What’s this about aliens?” A voice came from behind my grandmother. I looked up to see Beth and Marissa standing in the doorway. The costume disaster had apparently been fixed.

“Just joking around.” My grandmother said flustered. “With all these tourists here dressed up for the Crash Festival I’ve got aliens on the brain.”

“And why are you hugging Beth’s date?” Marissa asked with a curious stare.

“Marissa, this is our grandson Max.” My grandmother replied, putting a hand on my shoulder as though she was laying claim to me.

“Wait, what?” Marissa replied in shock.

“Max, this is our grand-niece, Marissa. And, well, I guess you’ve already met her friend Beth.” My grandfather explained.

I smiled, and tried not to blush as I looked over at Beth and her intense stare. She was confused, and maybe even a little distrustful. I owed her an explanation.

“I was under the impression that he was living with his dad and you didn’t have any contact with him.” Marissa replied, a little affronted that I had dared to show up unannounced.

“That’s true…” My grandfather replied hesitantly. How were we going to explain this one?

“I do live with my father, but he would have never stopped me seeing my grandparents if that’s what I wanted. As a graduation present he bought me the plane ticket and here I am.” I replied. It was partly true. My father had only relented in letting me come on my own once my studies were over. When I returned to Antar I would immediately begin training to take over the leadership of the country. I guess this could be considered to be my ‘gap’ year.

“Whatever. We’d better get going.” Marissa huffed, before heading out the door.

“Have fun.” My grandmother called to Marissa’s retreating form, before grabbing my arm to hold me back from following Beth out the door.

“Where were you planning on staying tonight?” My grandmother asked.

“I’ve got a room at a motel.” I replied.

“Please stay here instead. We’d love to have you.” My grandmother offered.

“I would love to, if you’re sure you have room and it wouldn’t impose on Marissa too much.” I agreed. “She seems a little put out.”

“You’re our family. Don’t ever think that you’re imposing.” My grandfather replied. “Marissa will get over it.”

“Thanks.” I replied. “I’ll see you later then.”

“Have fun.” My grandmother smiled the same farewell as she had given to Marissa.

I felt like part of the family already.

Turns out the Crash Festival was in the desert, so we took Marissa’s car. I sat in the back seat with Beth, while Marissa’s boyfriend Josh drove.

“You’re very quiet.” I addressed Beth after the silence in the car had threatened to deafen me. “What’s on your mind?”

“I was just thinking that it was weird that you didn’t mention that you were related to the owners of the restaurant when we spoke earlier today. It was a little bit of a surprise.” Beth answered.

“Good point Beth. Why didn’t you mention something?” Marissa asked, sensing a little bit more venom in the question than in Beth’s.

“I didn’t realise they still lived here. My dad has been out of contact with them for a few years now and they had previously talked about selling the restaurant. I had assumed that they had.” I explained. “I was going to start my search for them once I had settled into town.”

“Couldn’t you have just asked your mum where they were?” Marissa picked up the flaw in my explanation.

“Marissa, please stop giving him the third degree.” Beth interjected, saving me.

Marissa just ‘humphed’ from the front seat and the car returned to relative quietness.

“Jeff and Nancy were going to sell the restaurant – they even had a buyer lined up, but they couldn’t go through with it. I guess it still holds so many memories for them. By then Marissa had come to live with them, and they decided to advertise for a manager instead. They still live upstairs but aren’t involved too much in the day-to-day running of the restaurant.” Beth explained.

“I see.” I replied. I wanted to ask more about how Marissa came to live with them, but felt that it was better not to do it in Marissa’s earshot – she didn’t seem to like me very much. For some reason she had seemed excited about me as a date for Beth, but not as a relative.

“We’re here.” Marissa announced as we pulled into the car park – almost running over an alien with four legs in the process.

“This is going to be an interesting night.” I said to Beth.

“You ain’t seen nothin’ yet.” She smiled.

Beth was right. I had never seen so many aliens in the one spot at the one time – and a couple I swear I recognised from some of the councils that I have sat in with my father with the rulers of the other nearby planets. They gave me a wink and were on their way before I could acknowledge them, and I wondered if my father was aware of their ability to travel?

“Having fun?” Beth asked as we left the sideshow alley where I had just won a stuffed alien head for Beth at one of the booths.

“I am, thanks.” I replied. “You?”

“Yeah., I am.” Beth smiled.

“I didn’t realise the festival would be so huge.” I said, indicating to all of the rides and entertainment going on, away from where the actual depiction of the crash was set to happen later in the night. “It’s much bigger than my parents had described. There’s so many people.”

“It seems to get bigger and better each year – particularly because the sightings are much more common than they used to be in your parent’s day.” Beth explained.

“There’s been a lot of sightings?” I asked interested.

“Yeah. Every couple of years there’s talk of a flash of something landing or taking off from somewhere in the desert. No one has managed to find anything out there, but just the rumours of it bring a lot more people to Roswell, and to the festival.”

I guess the Granolith’s movements hadn’t gone unnoticed. I hoped that would cause a problem in the future – in my head I was already planning many more visits to Earth.

“Cool.” I replied, hoping that was the appropriate response. Beth smiled – I guess that wasn’t used in this context anymore.

“It keeps your grandparent’s café in business.” Beth nodded.

“So what is the deal with Marissa? How did she come to live with my grandparents?” I asked.

“Her parents were killed in a car accident almost two years ago. Your grandparents were the only relatives she had left so they took her in. She was living in Boston, so it has been a huge change for her to come to New Mexico - not knowing anyone.” Beth explained.

“And you became friends because you were working at the Crashdown?” I asked, wondering how someone as quiet and mild as Beth could end up being friends with fireball Marissa.

“No, we actually met on her first day at school. I found her in the girl’s bathroom before first period, trying to get up the courage to go into her first class.” Beth replied.

“Marissa was scared? I can’t picture that.” I laughed.

“She came out of her shell very quickly.” Beth nudged me in the ribs. “Anyway, we’ve been friends ever since. She was the one who got me the job at the Crashdown.”

“Cool.” I replied, and mentally slapped myself for repeating that word. What was the current lingo? ‘Awesome’? Surely not.

“You know, there’s something about you that I can’t work out.” Beth stopped suddenly.

I turned to face her, but already mentally preparing myself to run – what had I revealed about myself that gave me away?

“You clothes, and some of the words you say, they are quite old fashioned. You remind me of my father in a way.” Beth observed. “It’s like you’re from a different time – or a different place.”

“I …” I began, but she placed a finger gently over my lips.

“But I like it.” Beth admitted. “You feel like home.”

I gave a small smile and our eyes locked in an unbreakable stare. I gradually felt my head bend down towards hers, as though locked in her tractor-beams. I could see a smile creep over her lips as she welcomed the proximity and what was about to unfold. Within millimetres of her face, I felt the warmth of her skin and smelt the sweet scent of her fragrance – a smell that I wanted to enfold me forever.

“There you two are.” Marissa’s voice broke the connection.

“Hey.” Beth replied, blushing and pulling away. I felt incomplete at her sudden lack of proximity.

“Where’s Josh?” Beth asked Marissa.

“He’s off with some of his football buddies. I need you.” Marissa said to Beth, stepping in between us and linking her arm through Beth’s.

“What for?” Beth asked, giving me an apologetic look. I just smiled.

“We need to have our fortunes told. Madame Vivien has a booth here.” Marissa announced.

My ears pricked up. My mother had been to see a fortune teller once and she told her that she and my father would be together. I had some faith in this fortune telling business.

Beth rolled her eyes and I could tell that she didn’t share the same faith.

“Okay. Let’s go.” Beth agreed, indicating for me to follow them.

We entered the tent where we found Madame Vivien sitting at a small table with a deck of cards and a crystal ball.

“Who’s first?” The fortune teller asked.

“Me!” Marissa shot up her hand and sat at the table while Beth and I stood back in the corner.

“I see travel on your horizon.” Madame Vivien began, looking into her crystal ball.

“Where to? Paris? London?” Marissa asked.

“Further. More remote.” Madame Vivien clarified.

“Not somewhere with one of those squat toilets…” Marissa screwed up her face.

Beth and I turned to each other and giggled, until stifled by a glaring look from Madame Vivien. We sat through the rest of the reading in silence, hearing the usual things - it seems her relationship with Josh wasn’t going to last, and she was going to have a career change. Nothing too unexpected for someone in her last year of high school and with a jock for a boyfriend.

“Your turn.” Marissa all but forced Beth to sit at the table with Madame Vivien.

“I’ve never seen the cards fall like this before…” Madame Vivien began with a frown as she turned over the tarot cards on the table. “A boy … he’s different.”

I was all ears.

“He’s very … important, this boy. Royalty.”

“Okay…” I heard Beth reply with a truckload of disbelief in her voice.

“Great.” Marissa whispered to me. “I’m about to get dumped, and it turns out that Beth is going to marry a prince. Story of my life.”

In that moment I had a tough choice – listen to the rest of Beth’s fortune, or build a bridge between Marissa and I. I chose the latter.

“I think you’ve got the better end of the deal.” I whispered in reply. “Who would want to be married to a prince anyway? All of the royal duties and responsibilities? You don’t strike me as the type of person who would like to be tied down to all of that.”

“You know what? You’re right.” Marissa smiled at me for the first time since she found out who I was. “Screw the prince – give me Rob Pattinson instead.”

“That’s the right attitude.” I agreed. I’d have to find out who this guy was later. I was guessing a musician or actor.

As I turned my attention back to the table, I realised that Beth had finished and was getting up from the table. She looked a little shaken.

“Your turn.” She said, indicating that I should sit down.

“Oh, no, I don’t need my fortune told.” I attempted to argue.

“Sit!” Madam Viven’s voice commanded. It was a voice that you didn’t argue with.

“Hold out your hand.” She commanded.

“Can’t you just use the cards instead?” I asked – my arms firmly crossed across my chest.

“Hand!” She commanded again.

I put out my hand reluctantly.

As soon as her palm touched mine, I was overcome by images of Madame Viven’s life. Her struggle as a child to understand all of these images she was seeing; her dabbling in witchcraft as a pubescent teenager, and her final decision to give in to her gift and start her fortune telling business. I saw fortunes of people who had come to her, including some who were here tonight. I saw her absolute confusion as to who or what I was and her overwhelming fear of what she didn’t understand. I did everything I could to send her messages through our connection that I wasn’t anything to be afraid of and that I was a good man. I particularly made it clear that she shouldn’t tell anybody about me – particularly Beth and Marissa.

“I see a peaceful future for you.” She began, shaking herself out of her stupor, only giving a very slight glance towards Beth and Marissa. “You will be respected and trusted in your … uh, vocation. You will have a large family, beautiful wife and extensive property. You will live a long and healthy life.”

“Cool.” I replied, attempting to pull my hand away, but Madame Vivien latched on and her face became almost contorted. I could feel her inner struggle whether to tell me something or not. It seems she decided to speak.

“Beware of the ninja.” She said, before her face quickly returned to normal and she dropped my hand.

“Will do.” I replied confused, but quickly escaping before she grabbed me again.

We paid our money and quickly left, none of us speaking after that spooky moment.

“Well, that was fun.” Marissa finally said and we all burst out laughing. “I’m travelling to some remote village, Beth is marrying a prince and Max is looking out for ninjas.”

“Apparently it’s also imperative that I don’t look into bright lights.” Beth added.

Both Marissa and I stopped laughing immediately.

“Is that what she said to you? Look out for bright lights?” I asked concerned.

“Something like that. She said I would meet a prince and that my life would either end or change forever when surrounded by bright lights.”

“Maybe you’re going to go to a concert with Prince William the sixth?” Marissa joked.

I was taking it more seriously.

Whether on Antar or on Earth, cautions about bright lights meant death.

I wasn’t letting Beth out of my sight.
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lips of an Angel (M/L, CC, TEEN) Ch 70 13/10/09

Post by Oz »

Two fics updated in one night! I've even impressed myself. That's what happens when my husband goes away for business and my son sleeps at Grandma's!

Enjoy...

Max Jnr POV

“So, what should we do now?” I asked, trying to enjoy the time we had left at the carnival. Maria had gone off to find her boyfriend and Beth and I were alone again.

“It’s almost time for the crash.” Beth explained. “We should go and get a good spot to watch it.”

“After you.” I agreed, indicating that she should lead the way. As she moved amongst the crowd that was becoming denser, I placed a hand on her back so as to stop us getting separated. My hand tingled at the proximity.

Beth made her way to the top of the make-shift grandstand that was set up next to the field where the ‘crash’ was to be re-enacted. I took a seat close to her. Noticing her shiver, I took of my jacket and wrapped it around her shoulders.

“Thank you.” Beth replied.

“Your welcome.” I smiled.

We sat and watched the pyrotechnic guys set up the final few items for the show.

“So this is a re-enactment of the 1949 crash?” I asked. My parents had already explained it to me, but I wanted to make conversation.

“Yeah. It’s a bit lame really, but it’s become something of a tradition.” Beth explained.

“I can’t wait to see it.” I replied.

Truth was, I wasn’t sure if I could watch it. My father could have been killed in that crash all those years ago. If he had, I would have never been born.

“Are you okay?” Beth asked, placing a hand on my arm.

“Fine.” I replied with a forced smile.

“We can go if you want.” She offered.

“No. There’s no where else I’d rather be.” I smiled – unforced this time.

“So… tell me more about you.” I said, changing the subject. “Have you always lived in Roswell?”

I thought back to the moment that we first touched and I had received some images of her life. There were a few things that I wanted to make sense of.

“Yes. Roswell born and bred.” Beth replied proudly.

“And you still live with both of your parents?” I asked.

There was silence as Beth’s eyes turned to the ground.

“My mother died when I was really young.” Beth replied softly.

“I’m sorry.” I apologised. I shouldn’t have pushed.

“It’s okay. She had cancer. I don’t remember her very well.” Beth shrugged.

“And your father?” I was almost too scared to ask.

“About a year ago he was put into a nursing home. He has early-onset dementia. Most of the time he can’t even remember his own name, let alone that he has a daughter. I just couldn’t care for him anymore.” Beth replied.

“I’m sorry.” I said again. The images made sense now – those of her trying to look after her father while he slowly treated into his shell – the tears she shed when she couldn’t make him understand.

“So that’s why you and Marissa bonded so quickly. You had both lost your parents in some way or another.” I observed.

“Yeah.” Beth nodded.

“So who are you living with now?” I asked.

“No one.” I replied. “I’m still in my father’s house, and trying to keep up with the bills so I can stay there until I go off to college. I didn’t want to be put in a foster home.” Beth explained.

My heart went out to her having to deal with so much responsibility at such a young age. I also panicked at hearing that Beth was living alone. It only increased my desire to protect her – from what I still wasn’t sure.

“Do you get lonely?” I asked.

“Sometimes, but I have school, the Crashdown and Marissa. It keeps me busy. I visit my dad as much as I can too, although he rarely remembers me that I sometimes wonder why I bother.”

“I’m sure deep down he appreciates your visits.” I replied.

“I know. It’s just so hard to see someone you love so much not even acknowledge your existence.” Beth explained. “And I don’t want my memories of him to be of him like this. He was my best friend once upon a time.”

“He sounds like a great guy.” I smiled, deliberately not using past tense.

Beth smiled, she was grateful for it.

“Anyway, enough about my sad life. I want to know more about you. Marissa said you were living in Boston with your dad.” Beth changed the subject.

I didn’t want to lie to her, but what could I say?

“My home feels like such a long way from here.” I acknowledged, not correcting her but not exactly agreeing to the fact.

“I bet. You must be glad that your parents got out of Roswell.” Beth replied.

“I guess. But I’ve heard so much about it that it almost made me homesick to see it. My parents had some good memories here.” I admitted.

“So why did they leave?” Beth asked. “Your grandparents don’t talk about your parents much – not to me or Marissa anyway.”

“I guess they felt like they had this whole other destiny outside of Roswell.” I replied vaguely.

“And what happened to them? Marissa said that you live with your dad. Where is your mum?”

Now the questions were getting harder and the lies harder to keep track of.

“It’s complicated.” I replied, trying avoidance as the solution.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to pry.” Beth replied abashed. I felt a pang that she had told me the sordid story of her life, that I couldn’t share mine with her.

“It’s just that, well, I do live with both of my parents. They are very much together.” I replied honestly.

“Then why…” Beth replied, obviously confused.

“It’s hard for my grandparents to explain. I guess they found it easier to make it sound like my father was out of the picture.”

“Don’t they like him? There aren’t any photos of him on the mantle – only you and your mum.”

“I’m sure he’s not always there favourite person for taking their daughter so far away, but I don’t think they have anything against him per se.” I tried to explain.

“Boston is only a few hours by plane.” Beth pointed out.

“We don’t exactly live in Boston.” I admitted, getting in too deep. Why didn’t I just lie?

I just couldn’t do it. I couldn’t lie to her.

“Wh-where do you live?” Beth asked, obviously realising that it was complicated after all, and perhaps she didn’t really know me at all.

“A lot further away than that.” I replied.

“O-kay.” Beth replied, annoyed at the lack of a definite answer.

“I’m sorry I can’t tell you more than that.” I added.

“It’s okay. You don’t have to tell me anything.” Beth replied, but I could tell she was affronted.

“I want to… I just… This isn’t the right place.” I said, indicating to the crowd that had gathered in the stand while we had been talking.

“Of course.” Beth seemed slightly appeased. “Is there anything about you that you can tell me?”

“I … well … um …” I stammered. I hadn’t been expected to be put on the spot like that. Could I tell her about the three moons or the pink sky of Antar? About the fact that my mother and father were the King and Queen of a planet, and that effectively made me a prince? That if the authorities knew about me that I would be placed in a white room and examined like a lab rat? That she was in danger just for knowing that I existed? That I thought she was the most beautiful girl that I had ever seen?

“Nevermind.” Beth replied. This time I could tell she was definitely pissed off now.

“Beth…” I began, but was prevented by the arrival of Marissa and Josh.

“Thanks for saving us seats. I thought we were going to miss it.” Marissa interrupted, taking a seat next to Beth. She looked over at Beth who was staring at the ground and me, who was looking intently at Beth, trying to gauge her thoughts.

“What did we interrupt?” Marissa asked, sensing the tension.

“Nothing.” “Nothing”. We both replied at once.

“Riiiight.” Marissa replied disbelievingly.

The spotlights shone on the field in front of us and the crowd fell silent, ready for the show to start. I tried to catch Beth’s eye but she was intent on avoiding me. So I resignedly followed the direction of her eyes to the field.

“Were going to start the countdown and we need all of you to count with us. Ready?” The announcer’s voice came over the microphone.

“10 … 9 … 8 … 7 … 6 … 5 … 4 … 3 … 2 … 1!” The crowd bellowed.

A flash of light appeared from behind the ‘craft’ to make it look like fire and smoke, and the rope was released, sending the fake spaceship crashing to the ground. I watched in horror as alien mannequins fell out of the craft, and lay ‘bleeding’ on the ground.

The crowd cheered but I felt like mourning.

Of course Beth chose that moment to finally look over to me. I caught her eye for a second and watched as her expression changed from hurt, to confusion, to compassion in that second.

“Are you okay?” Beth asked shyly.

“Of course.” I replied unconvincingly.

“You look as though someone died.” Marissa piped up.

“Someone did.” I replied, before getting up and excusing myself. I had to get out of here.

I don’t know what I had expected, but I was caught off-guard about just how much it had affected me. I knew the story. I knew my father and Aunt Isabel and Michael had survived, but they just as easily might not have been so lucky.

“Do you want to go home?” Beth asked. I hadn’t realised that she had followed me down from the stand. I guess I hadn’t expected her to want to be so close to someone who she could not trust.

Home. No, I wasn’t ready to take that trip yet. I couldn’t leave things as they were.

“Not yet.” I replied.

“We’re going back to the Crashdown for post-festival icecream.” Marissa said, joining us. “You guys coming?”

Beth looked at me expectantly.

“Sure.” I replied.

“The car’s this way.” Marissa said, leading the way with Josh as Beth and I fell into step behind.

“About before…” I began.

“Don’t worry about it. You don’t have to tell me anything.” Beth replied, although I could tell she was still a little put out by my silence about my past.

“You don’t know how much I want to tell you everything. It’s just, I don’t know how to without you running for the hills.” I admitted.

“It’s that bad? I don’t think it could be.” Beth shook her head.

“You’d be surprised.” I replied.

“You’ve been in jail?” Beth guessed.

“No.”

“You’ve killed someone?” She tried again.

I raised my eyebrows. “Seriously?”

“It’s the best I could come up with on short notice.” Beth smiled. I had missed that smile. “Okay, I’ve got it. You’re on the run from the FBI for grand theft. You chose the right place to hide – no one would look for you in Roswell.” Beth laughed. I liked her laugh even more than her smile.

“You need to get a bit more creative than that.” I couldn’t help but smile in return.

“Okay… let’s see. You’re an alien from outer space and you’ve come to commemorate those of your kind that came before you in the crash.” Beth suggested.

I stopped laughing and stopped walking.

“Max?” Beth turned around when she noticed that I’d dropped behind. “I was just kidding.”

“Well, that wasn’t necessarily the reason I came, but it’s turned out that way.” I replied.

“Don’t be silly. I was just kidding around.” Beth tried to laugh my comment off, but she was looking at me funny. The clogs began turning. I was from a long way away, my parents rarely visited, my grandparents had never met me, I had no idea that my grandparents still lived in Roswell, my striking resemblance to the photo in the UFO centre, I couldn’t tell her anything about where I was from, the look on my face when I watched the crash.

“You’re not kidding.” Beth eventually said. I watched as her light features turned dark. She was going to freak out.

I was conscious of the crowd beginning to surround us as others also headed for their cars. Despite my intentions, I had picked the worst place possible to break the news.

“Beth…” I pleaded, seeing what was crossing her mind.

“No. Stay away from me.” Beth ordered, backing away.

A number of people in the crowd gave me a strange look, trying to size up whether they should step in and intervene or not.

Beth also looked around before realising that Marissa was long gone and that she was alone with me. She did the only smart thing – she ran.

“Beth! Wait!” I called, wanting desperately to catch up to her and make her see that I was nothing to be scared of.

We soon cleared the crowd, just as we were reaching the car park.

“Beth! Please, let me explain.” I called.

I didn’t have the chance to say another word before the road was flooded with a bright white light – the headlight from an oncoming motorbike, going much too fast.

“No!” I screamed, using all of my strength to reach Beth in time.

Seconds before the bike was going to hit her, I managed to shove her out of the way, but I wasn’t quick enough to save myself. The motorbike clipped my legs and sent me flying.

“Max!” I heard Beth scream.

The pain in my right leg was excruciating. I looked down and saw that part of my leg was lying perpendicular to the rest. I tried to straighten in as much as I could before anyone else noticed. I wouldn’t have the chance to heal it before the crowd gathered, so I would have to leave it for now.

“Someone call and ambulance!” Beth shouted.

“No! Don’t!” I begged. “I’m okay, it’s nothing.”

“I can’t believe he didn’t stop…” I heard someone in the crowd say. Sure enough, the motorbike was nowhere to be seen. Obviously someone scared of being charged by the Sherriff for driving recklessly. That was the least of my concerns at the moment.

“Marissa, help me get him to his feet.” Beth asked.

I met her eyes thankfully. She was going to help me stay out of hospital. She was going to keep my secret. The fortune teller had said that her life would either end or change forever when surrounded by bright lights. With the knowledge she had now, her life would never be the same.

“We’ll move on three.” Beth explained. “Ready, one, two, three!”

They each heaved me up and took my weight as I hopped on one leg to Marissa’s car.

“Are you sure you don’t need to go to the hospital?” Marissa offered as I slid into the back seat. Beth followed while Marissa took the wheel.

“It’s just a sprain. I’ll just ice it and I’ll be fine.” I replied.

“Where’s Josh?” Beth asked, trying to change the subject.

“He wanted to go out drinking with his mates.” Marissa rolled her eyes. “I seriously don’t know why I bother.”

“Let’s head for the Crashdown. Your Grandfather will know what to do won’t he?” Beth asked. I knew what she was doing – she was confirming that my Grandparents knew my secret.

“Yes. He’ll know what to do.” I nodded.

The car ride was longer than I remembered, but that was probably because every bump that I went over sent an excruciating jolt of pain through my body.

“Are you okay?” Beth asked, seeing my face turn pale as the pain was getting too much.

“I’ll be fine.” I tried to smile.

“Thank you, you know, for getting me out the way.” Beth smiled.

“Your welcome.” I replied.

“What happened?” My grandfather asked as Marissa and Beth helped me into the apartment. The stairs had been a challenge.

“Max was hit by a motorbike.” Marissa announced.

“Are you okay?” My grandfather asked, helping Marissa and Beth lie me down onto the sofa.

“I’ll be fine. Marissa, could you please get me some ice?” I asked, wanting to find some way of getting her out of the room for long enough to heal myself.

Marissa dutifully headed for the kitchen.

“What can I do?” Beth asked.

My mother had explained to me how her strength, when combined with my father’s gift, had saved his life. She had always said it was because my father had changed her, but I had another theory – love was stronger than any other power in the universe. I know that I had only just met Beth, but I couldn’t deny how much I already felt for her. Maybe combined we could do great things.

“Place your hand here on my leg.” I said.

She did.

“Max…” My grandfather warned.

I placed my hand over hers and gave my grandfather a look to explain that Beth knew enough about who I was to handle this. Besides, the connection we would form in the healing process would explain things much more than I could in words.

“Now concentrate and look into my eyes.” I explained. It wasn’t essential for the healing to work, but I wanted to watch her expression as she received the flashes.

Through the connection I tried to send her images of my life and who I was deep down. I wanted her to know that she could trust me and that I was nothing to be scared of. Most of all I wanted her to know how I was beginning to fall for her.

That last image sent a blush to her cheeks as I broke off the connection.

“Here’s the ice.” Marissa announced, walking into the room.

“Brilliant, thanks.” I smiled, disengaging my gaze from Beth’s face where it had been locked, and placing the ice on my leg. It was now completely healed, but we had to keep up the pretence.

“You say you were hit by a motorbike?” My grandfather pondered. “I hope the police charge him with reckless driving or something.”

“It was a hit-and-run.” Beth explained. “The rider didn’t stop.”

Alarm filled my grandfather’s face.

“What?” I asked quickly.

“Marissa, could you get Max some aspirin from the cabinet.” My grandfather send Marissa from the room again.

“Has it occurred to you that this may not have been an accident?” My grandfather suggested.

“You think someone did this on purpose? Why?” It honestly hadn’t occurred to me.

“Your father has enemies doesn’t he?”

“Very few, and none on Earth – not anymore.” I replied.

“How many people know that you are here?” My grandfather asked.

“My parents, Zan, a few of the council.” I replied.

“Are you sure that’s all?” My grandfather wouldn’t let it go.

“Actually, I thought I saw some from the Solar System Council.” I replied, remembering those I had thought I had recognised at the beginning of the night. “But they weren’t aiming for me.” I pointed out. “They were going to hit Beth.”

“My guess is they guessed how much that might hurt you…” My grandfather considered.

“Why would anyone want to hurt Max?” Beth asked. “Capture and study I understand, but hurt?”

“His father is a powerful man.” My grandfather tried to explain. “He’s the king.”

“And that would make you…” Beth began.

“A prince, yes. Royalty.” I said, remembering Beth’s prediction.

“I think I need to sit down.” Beth said, but then realised she already was.

“As much as I hate to suggest it Max, I think you need to think about getting home. It’s obviously not safe for you here.” My grandfather suggested.

“Wait, when you say home, where is that exactly?” Beth asked.

“Antar. That’s the name of my home planet.” I explained.

“Someone had better start explaining what’s going on right now.” Marissa’s voice came from the door.

This was going to be interesting.
Paramore - Decode