The Offer (CC ALL, YTEEN) Ch. 41 - 5 / 21 COMPLETE

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

Misha
Addicted Roswellian

Re: The Offer (CC ALL, YTEEN) Ch. 38.1 - 4/3

Post by Misha »

The author is very happy to update as well :mrgreen:

Thank you all for waiting! Next part won't take half as long, I promise-promise :D Max and Dave were not very... cooperative :roll:

XXXVIII
Fire

cont.

“Tess was… not like us,” Max said as he contemplated the half-empty soda can in his hand. Outside, it was a dark, gray morning with snow lazily blanketing the woods not so far away. It was the perfect kind of weather for the type of thoughts that were racing through his mind, bare trees looking as desolate as he had felt not so long ago in his life.

He was standing by the window while Dave kept putting his puzzle together on the other side of the black, wooden desk. Max felt like one of those puzzle pieces now, being flipped onto one side or the other to fit into Dave’s view of their lives. “Or rather, we were not like her,” Max amended, looking at the window in front of him, frowning, the can in his hand now forgotten.

“That’s an interesting way of phrasing it,” Dave commented, meeting Max’s eyes by the reflection of the glass, silently asking him for an explanation.

“We were… too human, I guess, too many earthly attachments. Nothing like we were supposed to be. Nothing like her or what she was expecting from us. At all.”

It was hard to talk about Tess. Harder than Max had expected. Too many wounds, too many conflicting thoughts, and worst of all, too many unanswered questions still lingered in the air. It was too easy to get lost in a sea of half-truths, assumptions and questionable intentions. The silence stretched on with Max barely aware of it, not from reluctance to answer Dave’s latest question of who Tess had been, but because Max truly didn’t know where or how to begin.

“What exactly do you want to know about her?” he asked above a whisper, half turning his face, so his profile was all Dave could see.

“Anything,” Dave answered, almost hypnotically flipping pieces. “Everything,” he added, this time stopping to look at Max. “You don’t strike me as a one-night-stand kind of guy. You’ve been reckless in the past, but not that kind of reckless.”

Dave’s words had an odd effect on him. It made him relive too many old memories of a time better left forgotten. He’d been going through hell and, ironically, he didn’t know how to start conveying those facts either. Sometimes he wished meeting Tess had all been a bad dream… Sometimes he wondered if anything of what Tess had said had been true at all. But most of the time, when he thought about those months, he just felt a strange mix of failure, shame and disappointment. He’d felt so alone then, more than at any other point in his entire life.

“I’m not going to judge you if that were the case,” Dave said, sensing Max’s sudden stillness, misunderstanding the cause behind the heavy silence that had so abruptly settled. Max fully turned to face Dave now, still unsure of what to say.

“It wasn’t like that,” Max answered a bit too harsh, some of his inner frustrations shining through. Taking a short, deep breath, he tried to calm himself, looking at the puzzle instead of Dave. Seconds ticked by on an imaginary clock, yet he could not find the right words to explain what had happened with Tess. “Is there anything you regret?” he finally asked in a cheerless tone, maybe buying himself time, maybe wanting Dave to understand how he felt about the subject. Either way, he found himself actually curious about the answer now that the question was on the table.

Dave let go of the piece he was holding, and slowly reclined on his black leather chair, thoughtful. “A few, I guess,” he said at last. “I trusted in the wrong people once, though that led me to Jake. I’ve misjudged some others, but usually I only lose money, so that’s not so bad. Seldom have I fallen and not gained something in return, so I usually don’t regret failing. I don’t like it, but it doesn’t keep me awake at night either. Few things do,” Dave added as an afterthought. Losing his thoughtful look a few moments later, he centered on Max again, expecting him to continue.

“How much… do you… actually know about Tess?” Max cautiously asked, narrowing his eyes.

“Not much,” Dave admitted with a short sigh, “not much outside what you’ve told me this week, which means your shapeshifter knew quite well how to keep his tracks covered. It’s quite impressive in this day and age, if I must say. Almost everything leaves a paper trail, and Tess’s was as clean as they come. What little I found was that she moved around a lot, which actually tells me more about him than her. If she wasn’t leaving silver handprints behind, then he was the reason they were moving around so much. She must have known half the continent by the time she was 12.”

How ironic, Max privately thought, that Tess got to see the world and ended up despising it anyway. They could barely decide where to go to college for fear of being separated, let alone go to another country. Why did Tess never seem to appreciate such things?

“She never talked about her trips?” Dave asked, intrigued.

Max shook his head. “She never talked about her past much. She was… focused on her future. She was always… so intent on bringing up Antar and our ‘destiny’ that, honestly, it never occurred to me that she might actually want to talk about anything else.” He tried to picture Tess talking excitedly about some exotic place she might have seen, but utterly failed. There was hardly a time when he remembered her smiling, let alone sharing something non-alien that she might have found interesting.

“According to school gossip,” Dave continued when Max didn’t elaborate, “Tess was pretty much a loner if she wasn’t around one of you, though she was not unpopular. She got good grades, and kept out of trouble, so there was not much to get from the teachers.” Dave paused for a second, as if mentally shifting sheets on an imaginary file. “She dated Kyle, moved in with him, but since his dad was the Sheriff not many people made much out of it… Then she dated you for a short while, and then… she disappeared. Just as she came, she went. It really is surprising for someone who use to be the queen of an entire planet. You gotta give it to her, she knew how to keep a low profile.”

And how… The dark thought crossed his mind, remembering how long Tess had been controlling Alex without anyone suspecting a thing.

“I didn’t even notice the first day she was in school,” Max conceded in a rather frustrated manner, his eyes going to the half-made puzzle again. Memories of happier, easier times came to him then. Of afternoons spent with Liz when everything wasn’t so complicated. With no destiny in sight, no running away, no alien enemies.

Just the Unit.

Max involuntarily shivered. He turned to the window to disguise it, unwanted memories following him along with Dave’s gaze. How do you know women so well? Tess’s first words to him echoed through his mind. The answer was easy: He didn’t.

“You have to understand something very fundamental about Tess,” Max said, barely above a whisper, though the room was so silent it didn’t really matter, “She had the power to make you believe just about anything. You would literally see what she wanted, and she could wipe away your memories and replace them with new ones. Reality was never a sure thing around her.”

His mind kept reliving that time, of Tess placing thoughts about them together… And it hadn’t been just the idea that he was somehow cheating on Liz that had terrified him, but the profound feeling that had invaded him that he was no longer the same. Something had awakened in those weeks, something he had never truly been able to lock back up: the sense of being alien. Worse, the sense of being alien to himself.

Ironically, this he had been able to forgive with time. Hadn’t Tess grown up thinking he was her husband and king? That they were ‘meant to be together’ as she proclaimed at every chance she’d had at the time? How much different would Max have been had he been in her place? Growing up alone, yearning to find others like him, family. No, he couldn’t hold it against her, though he did warn her that he did not appreciate being mindwarped. She’d said she was sorry. He’d say it was okay. So easy.

So wrong.

Next time she did it, it was to make him believe that he was making a connection to his son. And to this day, Max could not forgive her for that. Not playing with him like that.

“Regardless, you let her in,” Dave pointed out, slightly narrowing his eyes.

“We thought she was one of us,” Max agreed. “It was only natural…”

Sometimes, on rainy days and lonely roads, Max thought that maybe Tess too had thought that she was one of them. That if he’d tried harder to include her, maybe she wouldn’t have turned on them. That if he’d done more he would have prevented her from killing Alex at the very least, and maybe even make her a part of their group at best. Was it really so bad to be human? Was it so repulsive to want a normal life? He could never shake the feeling that on some distant planet, their former selves had been married, had cared for each other, and had even somehow ensured they would be together afterwards. Didn’t that count for something? In this new version of their lives, he had to admit that things didn’t quite add up on the romantic side of it… but still, she was part of their puzzle, and for a while she’d seemed to awkwardly fit…

In retrospect, for a while too, he saw her as a friend. When his life was falling apart, he saw her as a confidant. And when being human hurt like hell, being alien became the only way he could hold onto some semblance of sanity. And being alien also meant accepting his destiny. I’m ready to wake up now…

The light in the room flickered, and Max immediately stopped his train of thought, quickly raining in his rising anger. Hardly ever did he allow himself to get too deep in these thoughts, but losing his focus now was unacceptable. Dave looked up at the light bulb, and then slowly lowered his eyes to Max, and then to his puzzle.

“You all have the strangest reactions when you’re talking about her,” Dave said, his hand reaching for a far away piece, hazel eyes tirelessly searching its place.

Something hit Max with those words. The thing that made talking about Tess so difficult, Max realized, was that he’d never done it. Who would he have sought to talk to about her? During the months after Tess had left for Antar, Max had tried Michael, but Michael could only take a serious conversation for so long. Isabel had wanted her dead. Maria had had very vivid ways of describing how exactly that death should occur. Even Kyle would shy away from it, one of the rare topics he wouldn’t talk about. Liz was just out of the question, plain and simple.

And then Tess had come back, had died, and they had found themselves on the run. Max had talked to Liz once about their past mistakes, but it wasn’t as if he had detailed every single thought, doubt and suspicion he’d had about Tess out loud, the way he did in his mind.

Shaking those rather somber thoughts, Max refocused on the present.

“You thought she was one of you,” Dave repeated Max’s words in order to retake the conversation, “that explains why she was around. But it doesn’t exactly explain why Liz wasn’t,” the older man said as he fit another piece.

“I don’t understand,” Max replied, honestly not sure what Dave was fishing for here.

“Liz spent the entire summer in Florida in 2000. I’ve got plenty of records to confirm that. Tess had just moved in… so why was Liz moving out?”

The new apparent focus on Liz took Max by surprise, even though in his mind the uncensored answer easily came, because she could run and I couldn’t. He recovered fast, however, answering Dave’s seemingly random question. “Liz thought it would be best for me… if she wasn’t around… in the middle of my destiny.”

“And Tess took advantage of that?” Dave asked, stopping again as if this point in the story was more important than all the others.

Honestly? No. If anything, she’d taken a rather stoic approach once he’d told her that there was nothing between them beyond a kinship of sorts. Reluctantly, Max shook his head.

“Maria didn’t buy it,” Max elaborated with a sad half smile. “When Liz left and Tess stayed in the background, Maria never thought I should… you know… believe Tess’s words anyway… She never liked Tess.”

When that summer from hell had begun four years back, and Liz had gone to Florida, he’d just turned to Maria. She was his only link to his soul mate, and there were so many things he was desperately trying to block from his mind, starting with Pierce and ending with a message from his real mother. He was barely 17, and already he’d escaped torture and survived the FBI, just to find out that a war was waiting for him back “home”, assuming he hadn’t brought it to this home, while everyone was waiting for him to lead, especially Michael. But to lead where? To fight what? It didn’t matter, he was supposed to know. He was always supposed to know.

You know what? Maria had said one night when he was feeling particularly low, harshly placing a Cherry Coke on the table, the contents spilling a bit from the force of it. Screw them all. They want you to be the hero, well, sorry. But no. You’re dealing with a lot of crap that for some reason you don’t want to share with them, and that’s fine. But you need to take care of yourself before you can -or should- take care of anyone else.

Spending time with Maria in those days had been soothing. She was the only one who knew what had happened to him, and the only one who wasn’t looking at him for answers, but rather letting him be silent, sitting in a half obscured booth by the corner. He’d needed to be surrounded by familiar places, safe places, and slowly but surely, he’d put himself back together under Maria’s soft, green eyes, even if she was equally hurting because of Michael’s refusal to be with her.

He would have drowned without Maria’s reassurances that Liz’s rejections had nothing to do with him as a person, and his own self assurance that Liz being out there and not in here was better for her safety anyway. If Roswell was doomed, if he was calling back the bad guys, it was better for Liz to be as far away as possible than by his side keeping the shadows at bay. Shadows that were aplenty for months without end.

“She really is very protective of you, you know?” Dave casually said, as he narrowed his eyes at a piece, trying to figure out where to fit it. “She’s Liz’s best friend, and Michael’s love, but I think… I think she’s the one who keeps you honest to yourself when everyone else fails. She’s incorruptible like that…”

It was a rare thing to hear from someone who Max would technically consider a threat. It took him by surprise to hear such well defined observation, indeed, but part of him wondered if there was some possibly dangerous undertone. Was Dave threatening Maria or merely remarking something he found noble?

“Just like Jake,” Dave added as an afterthought, a warm smile spreading as he fit the piece in its proper place. It wasn’t much, but it was enough of an opening for Max to get some much needed background.

“How did you meet Jake?” Max asked, trying to sound casual about it. Dave raised an eyebrow, expectant. Maybe surprised. Max wasn’t really sure, except that Dave didn’t look all that happy about the question itself. It made Max feel awkward, and too aware of the silence in the room, the harshness of the light, and the vague tingling in his fingertips. Max hated being nervous.

What he didn’t know was that getting the answer to his question would be getting information that just a selected few had ever known. How Dave and Jake had met was a tangled story buried in dark corners that no one wanted to touch. Not even Dave.
"There's addiction, and there's Roswell!"
Misha
Addicted Roswellian

Re: The Offer (CC ALL, YTEEN) Ch. 38.2 - pg. 7 - 10/3

Post by Misha »

Well, it's a bit comforting to know I did avoid the Dead and Buried boards this time... I am incredibly thankful I still have readers (especially those who had been reading for five years :shock: ) and just know that it's not lack of interest or will that keeps me from the story, but rather uncooperative characters. And work. :roll:

Hopefully, once I'm out of the Max-Dave realm, I'll be faster again. Hopefully.

xmag, alleluia indeed! :lol: Tess is such a complicated character to write from outsiders' points of view. She messed up the dynamics of the group in so many levels, yet in this story we don't hear her voice (evil, misunderstood, confused, whatever) so all there is left is everyone's feelings regarding her, which considering the voting in 4A&B, does not seem promising. Still, Max must have seen another side of her, something that clicked with him, or he would have never started "dating" and ultimately sleeping with her. So I want to explore that and the circumstances surrounding that decision, even if my dreamer heart cringes at that...

PML,I agree with you, those parts are never long enough... I agonize over them for days, just to have five pages to show for my effort.

maipigen, I was so glad to see you moved into the boards! Fanfiction.net is good, but it doesn't have the same vibe! And I always blush at someone saying they re-read! *I* don't reread my own stuff unless I'm hunting details! So appreciated!

cjsl8ne, I would be the one to admit that Max made terrible choices, but I also know he wasn't exactly in the best of circumstances, and I love to explore that time from his perspective. Here he was supposed to be perfect, when his world was also falling apart.

StrandedInSummer :lol: Michael is my most challenging character! It's so fun when the Candies say they like how I write M&M! Makes me feel all the hard work into getting into that dense head of his is worth it!

ken_r!!! Always leaving such well thought reviews!! It was kind of surprising to understand that Max really had little choice if he wanted to talk to someone about what he was going through. He had to be the strong one, and since he'd messed up, and everyone knew it, well, that's the end of the story. No wonder he just lost it with the trash can in ITL&ITB... But even after, it was as if he tried to start from scratch, and leave his past behind. Except, things like the ones he went through, cannot just be wiped out of your memory...

Timelord, I'll so think of you when I write The End :lol: You're THE best moral support any author can ask for! Such short sentences, so much guilt packed into them... :mrgreen: Love ya'!

Thank you so much to Sundae for her fantastic betaing! And to my other two lovely betas, KathyW and Michelle in LA for always looking out for the story!

And now...

XVIII
Fire

cont.

A knock came unexpectedly at Jake’s office. He was not supposed to be at the lab, it being a Saturday morning and all, and no one had said anything about visiting, especially Alan, the newest addition to the compound and Liz’s future science mentor if the girl was smart enough to accept his offering.

“Come in,” Jake said, closing his notebook. This was not a welcome visit since having company now meant he could not continue analyzing the data he had collected from the kids all week.

Of all the people that could have come walking in that door, he was not on the list. Tall and slender, Richard came into the room. Their Administrator rarely talked to him, especially since Dave was his main reason to be here, and they only spoke when Dave was present. Everybody was too busy with their own grand research to be much trouble to the Administrator but should trouble ever arise, Richard had proven to be very effective at controlling and solving the problems.

Richard had also proven to be very good at tracking down Dave back in the day. Of all the people in this place, Richard was the one person who knew the most about them, a thought that did not quiet sit well in Jake’s mind. He didn’t dislike the man, but he did think that Dave had placed way too much trust in him.

“I thought I’d find you here,” the older man said, letting himself in.

“I hope everything is okay,” Jake queried, frowning. There really were only a few reasons to have Richard in one’s office and none of them were good unless the man was one’s friend.

Richard nodded, blue eyes glancing at the chair, obviously waiting for an invitation. “I’m just curious,” he said, as Jake indicated with a hand that he could have a seat.

“Curious?” Jake inquired, his mind going through options and memories of whether or not anything had been said about Richard recently.

“I usually know what’s going on, so it really intrigues me to be… in the dark. I can go and research on my own, but I guess it would be easier to just talk with you. Dave seems to be busy at the moment…”

“I’m sorry, but what are we talking about?” Jake asked, some inner alarm going off. It was an odd sensation, one he had not felt in almost two decades. It was the feeling of being cornered.

“The new kids that arrived last week.”

It took a great effort, but Jake made himself look calm, looking as though those words had had no more effect on him than being told that the weather was cold.

“What about them?” he asked, the notebook beneath his hands suddenly feeling hot with all the information it contained regarding those very same kids.

“Is there something I should know about them?” Richard questioned, slightly narrowing his eyes.

“Why so curious?” Jake asked, trying to smile.

“White Cards are not easy to come by,” Richard said, referring to the color keys everyone had on the complex, signaling one’s clearance to go around. White was the highest, and it was bound to attract attention. “But no one seems to know why they are White Cards. Keepers are crawling the walls thinking that they are Messengers. Except I know all Messengers, and those kids are not on the list.”

“They are Dave’s latest plan. That’s all there is to know,” Jake said, trying to sound casual, though both men knew this was supposed to be the end of the discussion.

Richard nodded once, acknowledging Jake’s words. “I usually would think the same but the thing is, there was an intruder yesterday,” the Administrator continued, bringing to Jake’s mind that Dave had been battling some hacker yesterday who had been dangerously close to decrypt level 5 codes. Dave had been impressed; Jake had thought that had been the end of it. Well, apparently not. If Richard was fishing for answers, there was no better way than going through a security argument. “And this intruder was looking for specific files,” Richard ended.

“On the kids?” Jake asked a little too fast, astonished. Who could know that they were under Dave’s care only after a week?

“No,” Richard said with a small smile, glad he had finally gotten a reaction out of Jake. “About a project to search for high energy microwave signals in space. He did get to see the files for about two seconds before the Keepers chased him out of the system, and luckily, he was not able to them. The files however, are attached to something regarding our new guests, and so I started to research what else was related to them. Turns out I have no access at all.”

“Does Dave know what this hacker found?” Jake asked, knowing that Dave was in the middle of his meeting with Max. He also knew that Dave had dismissed the attack, thinking that it had done no damage.

“No, he’s been in a meeting all morning long. I barely discovered this an hour ago. Short of telling him, the only other person who I thought might know what’s going on is you. Besides, Dave never worries about what did not happen, so he might not pay attention to this at all.”

You might be wrong this time if it concerns Max and the others, Jake quietly thought. This was bad. High energy microwave signals were the first step into finding out about aliens and how they were making contact with Earth. And from there, with a little luck, one could find about Max.

“So, since I’d like to know what I’m fighting against, I thought maybe you could tell me what else I should look into. The hacker will come back, he’s too good not to try himself against Dave’s systems.”

“I’m sure Dave will look into it,” Jake said after a moment. Programs and codes were not Jake’s field, and though he understood the basics, it did not come to him as naturally as chemistry did.

Richard looked thoughtful for a second. “You shouldn’t let David make such decisions on his own. He’s blind to everything else except to what he wants, and you’ve always been the one to set him straight.”

Jake tried to look unaffected, but hearing him talk so casually about their relationship, especially saying David as an everyday word, made him feel utterly exposed. Of course Richard knew about their past, that was no secret, but knowing that he was using it was unsettling beyond words.

“What makes you think that Dave will not take this seriously?” Jake asked, feeling tense.

“Oh, he will take it seriously. He’s spent millions on whatever his plan is. I said ‘he’s blind to everything else except to what he wants’, which means he’ll act recklessly in order to get it. That puts you, and by extension this place and me, in danger.”

He was right, of course. Dave got obsessed with things and could lose sight of other events happening around him. The problem was, however, that not even Jake himself was entirely sure what Dave was after. What troubled Jake the most was the fact that Richard knew Dave had spent millions, which meant that their Administrator had been snooping around.

“There is another thing,” Richard said after a moment, as if it were an afterthought. “The Pentagon got a cyber attacked shortly after ours. I cannot prove that it was the same hacker, of course, but… for what I am able to piece together, he was looking for the Alpha files.”

The name echoed in Jake’s mind as everything else stopped. For all Jake knew, the whole world had indeed just stopped. The Alpha project’s logo flashed into Jake’s mind as bright as a neon sign in New York City. Jake remembered everything, but this symbol in particular would have been embedded into his memories regardless.

“I thought they were destroyed,” Jake heard himself say far away. The Alpha project, the place where he had met Dave 32 years ago. The place they had both escaped 6 years after. The people who thought Dave was dead and could very well still be out there looking for him.

“They were,” Richard assured him, “but there’s always a backup somewhere. I know it could be a coincidence but… I think someone’s trying to find your friend.”

“Dave’ll find him first,” Jake absently said, swallowing hard to get his mind on the present. “He should know,” he said, blinking rapidly twice, “about the hacker wanting those files.”

“Jake,” Richard said, slightly inclining forward, “Why are those kids so important? This is no time for Dave to be distracted if there’s someone on his tail. I cannot foresee any threats if I’m not aware of the things Dave has had his hands on.”

It was a valid claim, Jake had to admit. Sighing, he resigned himself to answer. He just hoped that Dave would see it his way once he found out.

Easy, Dave. Easy.

Jake’s words echoed in Dave’s mind as he regarded Max. They had been talking about Tess, a subject that had turned out to be darker and deeper than Dave had previously thought. Max did not seem to be inclined to continue that path, understandably of course, but Dave still needed to know. It was time to change tactics.

It was easy to read Max. He had a nice set of patterns one could depend on. Max’s mind worked in a very lineal way: from A to B, from B to C. Things had an order, causes had effects. There was nothing chaotic about his thought process, and chaotic situations were dealt with observation, calmness, and rational choices. At least as rational as a 19 year old could make them.

No wonder Max was such a match for Liz. Between their logical view of the world, their need to catalog and explain everything, they fitted together like an intricate puzzle, both very much the same. Except, where Liz had an almost compulsion to answer, Max was far more guarded about what he said. Which was why they were on their current position: very little had been answered, while many more questions had emerged.

Why had Liz left that summer, really? Why had Maria not trusted Tess? And why had Tess not taken advantage of Max that summer, when all he had heard so far was how manipulative she had been? She had gotten what she wanted in the end, but at a much slower pace than Dave would have thought. She was a piece of the puzzle that didn’t fit.

Regardless, Dave changed topics to leave Max some breathing room.

Jake was both an easy and a dangerous topic. It was easy to relate to Jake, and Dave needed Max to trust the good doctor for this whole thing to work, so talking about him was a must. But at the same time, dwelling too much on Jake was also dangerous, not only because it brought memories better left alone but it also further invited Max’s curiosity to rise. Neither thing was a good thing.

If Max’s biggest weakness was wanting to protect the others no matter what, then Dave’s was the same: Jake’s welfare. It was Jake who had gotten him out of that place. Jake who had taken care of him when he was barely more than a child. Jake who had trusted him, guided him, and ultimately, Jake who had become his only family, if not by blood then certainly by everything else that counted.

Without Jake, Dave would be lost now, either killed by those who had sought to control him, or becoming too twisted in his views of the world to be recognized as the man he was today. Everything Dave did, he did for his own reasons, but Jake was always the voice that brought a balance to his wildest ideas, the view that usually made Dave think things through in a different light.

Max’s latest question still lingered in the air.

How did you meet Jake?

It was a question that required a careful thought out answer. It wasn’t the bad memories that ultimately prevented Dave from telling the story, it was the fact that sharing it would put Jake in danger. They both had buried their past as if it had never occurred, because when one didn’t talk about something, then no one got to know about that something.

“We bonded… over a common enemy,” Dave slowly answered, uncharacteristically feeling exposed, especially since he’d been the one to bring up the subject. If Max could read minds, he would currently be getting some interesting memories from Dave, of a time when he was six years old and all he wanted in the world was to solve math problems and decipher codes. Would Max understand any of it? The high level mathematics and the complicated formulas? The errand question came and went unanswered.

“When you were kids …” Max stated, even if the sentence could almost have been mistaken for a question.

“Indeed,” Dave affirmed. “Age doesn’t matter when you have… certain gifts,” Dave answered on a rather darker tone, meeting Max’s gaze. What would Max’s life have been like had Max grown up in a military base? If he had emerged from his pod in a government controlled facility? In a twisted universe, they might have even met there.

Dave blinked, breaking the stare and his wandering mind. “Maybe I’m not being totally honest, here,” he admitted, his eyes going to the puzzle, incidentally a gift from Jake. “Not unlike you and Tess, Jake and I were the same. It was only natural that we would meet…”

To keep things rolling in the direction Dave wanted, he had to make deliberate connections between Max’s life and what little Dave was willing to share. It was an interesting exercise, he inwardly admitted, a technique he hardly ever used since most of the people he talked to were either making business with him, or knew too well their own faults and were desperate for a deal.

In fact, this was the first time he’d taken a whole week, his birthday included, to sitting down and talking to the people he was offering a deal to. Something Richard, his Administrator, had most definitely not missed.

“Regardless, Jake needed someone good with numbers, and… I guess there was no one else up for the task.”

3-7-3-4-7-1-6-4, the combination numbers to the door that separated them to freedom flashed in Dave’s mind. Jake had not been able to decipher the locks, and that number had been the last key; it had taken all but two minutes to Dave’s mind. Getting to the door had been a whole different thing, one that had required a high level of people skills and careful planning. And those plans Jake had figured out long before Dave had arrived. Glancing to his left, the numbers hanging on the wall arranged themselves in his mind. All numbers in the matrix played with the eight digits in one way or another. They were the basis for his level six codes, a weird way of using that that had held him prisoner to guard his most precious secrets now.

“Things must be easy… easy to understand for you,” Max said, slightly frowning at some inner thought.

There it was, the classical assumption. Just because one was a genius, it didn’t mean one was a genius in all fields. But people tended to believe that, that intelligence spread the same over all areas. That he was just as good with numbers as he was with poetry, while throwing in a good measure of music and language skills. It did come easier, but hardly at a genius level. Dave sighed inwardly. He’d always expected things to be easy when he was a kid, complex concepts deciphering themselves in his mind’s eyes, always surprising the adults around him with his extreme memory and logical skills; but as he’d gotten older, as he’d escaped with Jake and faced a world where he had to remain hidden, he’d learned that his high level of skills in regards to numbers, logic and memory were only as useful as they could provide money for a roof and food.

It was Jake’s people skills that had gotten them out of bad situations far more often than Dave’s ability to play the odds and gamble when he’d been a teen. On the other hand, by the time Dave had been Max’s age, he’d already figured out how to play the corporate game better than Jake ever could. Cue in programming skills and electronic deft…

“Most of them are easy,” Dave agreed, not bothering to explain which ones were and which ones weren’t.

“It must have been easy defeating your enemy, then” Max’s seemingly innocent observation caught Dave unguarded. Just as it had happened with Jake, the memory of the Alpha project logo flashed in his mind, making everything stop. Except, it got worse. Major McKay’s steely blue eyes flashed in his mind without warning. His lungs slightly contracted, for a fraction of a second the fear that that man had invoked in Dave’s memory was enough to potentially trigger an asthma attack.

Dave took a deep breath to calm his body. Fear would alter the rhythm of his breathing, inviting his lungs to initiate a chain reaction that would end somewhere he didn’t want to… His eyes focused for a moment on the table, knowing that on the other side of his desk, inside his drawer his inhaler was lying, waiting. He’s not here, he thought, returning his eyes to Max.

“We made his life hell,” he answered, managing a small smile. He hated how McKay still had a hold of him, triggering childhood fears that had no grounds in his mind now that he was an adult. Now that he could fight back. Now that his mind could not be used to kill others. He could manage the memory most of the time, when Dave would bring it up, but when someone else made the most remote reference…

It doesn’t matter, he coached himself as he took control of his breathing once again, knowing perfectly well that McKay was still alive, now promoted to general and probably still hunting Jake since Dave had been officially declared dead. Inwardly, Dave still wished he could have seen the look on McKay’s face when the report declaring him dead had arrived. Gone beyond his grasp was his most precious code breaker. But that was the only thing Dave ever wished to see from that man.

“Are you okay?” Max asked, calling Dave back to the present.

No.

“Yes,” he lied, pushing the mental door that had opened tightly shut. “What about you, Max? How did you defeat your own enemies? The Sheriff in a way; the Skins. And quite cleverly the Unit the first time around.”

With the subject safely back on track, Dave shook himself silently. It had been a while since he had seen what McKay was up to, and Richard was keeping an eye on things. Maybe it was time to see for himself. Before Max could reply, it suddenly occurred to Dave that if McKay ever found out about him, by extension he would find out about the hybrid as well.

For all Dave had done and was still doing to keep them out of harms way, it was now painfully clear to him that, thanks to his past, Max had one more enemy to add to the list.
Misha
Addicted Roswellian

Re: The Offer (CC ALL, YTEEN) Ch. 38.3 - pg. 8 - 12/28

Post by Misha »

Hey all!

Thank you sooooo much for considering The Offer to be nominated! This story is now the proud owner of the Best Science Fiction and Best Future Fic awards! Now, if only I could hurry up the future bit... :roll:

This next part is short because it's the intro to the chapter, but I think I'll be back in a week with the main part.

Chapter 39
The Nature of Things

If there was something Maria really hated it was waiting. Especially waiting for bad news. Waiting usually came with a lot of silence, a lot of fidgeting, and a lot of useless thinking.

If she was going to be honest, she had been in a state of waiting for more time than she cared to admit. Ever since Liz had told her the truth ages ago on a Carnival night, she had always been waiting for bad news. First thinking the Czechoslovakians were the enemy, then realizing the sheriff was the enemy… Then finding out there were one hell of a lot of enemies out there… and finally, on the run, just waiting for things to be over.

Waiting for her life to begin, if she was being selfish enough.

Yet today she was waiting on something not quite so simple. If Max’s meeting went well, they would be staying. If Max sensed there was something fishy, then they would be leaving. Both choices were bad. Both represented unknown futures. Both meant her life would be stuck, either underground, or on the road. The only good grace was that, in here, they apparently had a chance. Out there…

“What time is it?” Isabel asked while she massaged the sides of her forehead. Michael, Kyle, and Ray were talking about gun parts some thirty feet away, while Isabel took a break.

“11:02,” Liz answered flatly, not even checking her watch. She didn’t need to, since Liz had been checking that watch fifteen times in less than ten minutes. Maria couldn’t really blame her. Even if they had all sat down with Dave, it was not a nice feeling to be separated down here, wondering what Max was talking about.

“Max is going to be fine…” Maria said, sounding way more positive than she felt.

“I’m sure my brother will be fine. It’s the outcome of that meeting that is killing me…”

It was killing all of them. She could feel the tense waves coming from Michael even from this distance. He had thrown himself into the gun-dismantling thing to keep his mind busy, but as noon was approaching, they were all slipping back into waiting mode.

If Max gave the all clear as each of them had done the entire week, then there was an awkward future coming, dividing their time between learning defense techniques from Ray and lab visits for the alien trio. If Max found something he felt was too dangerous, then… well, they were supposed to leave, but how that leaving would go was still up in the air. Would their cars be waiting? Should they be packing now, just in case? And all this was assuming Dave would be okay with them leaving.

God, she hated waiting.

A minute went by without anyone saying anything.

“Is he okay?” she asked out loud.

“Anxious,” Isabel answered.

“Worried,” Liz said almost at the same time.

Even if Maria did have a sort of connection with Michael, it was nowhere near the strength Liz shared with Max, or that Isabel had always had with both Michael and Max. She didn’t envy them in situations like this.

“So, just being Max,” she joked, still not turning to look at them.

Isabel chuckled first, and then Liz let go a small, fleeting smile. The three of them sighed.

It was still one hour before noon, the usual time the meetings were over, and God, it was going to be a really long hour.

She wondered if Dave would say something to Max. Something about what Maria had shared of Max’s memories at the Unit’s hands. Max was the best there was to be anxious and worried, but he also had this uncanny way of bottling things up, keeping things to himself, without any way to let them out. Michael had his temper, and he would usually blow up things, or yell, or storm out, or something equally Michael-ish. But Max… Max would rather die than let his guard down.

She would bet good money that Max would sell his soul first if it meant the rest of them would be safe. In a way, they all would do that, but none of them would do it in the quite, guilt-ridden, stoic way that Max would. He got it into his head that all of this had happened because he had saved Liz, and by extension had started a chain reaction that had landed them on the run. Oh, and he was the leader too, so it was his responsibility to see everyone was okay. He was the first to go out and see if there was any trouble, and the last one to retreat, much to Michael’s chagrin. And it was not going to be any different now.

In the distance, things were getting agitated between the three guys. “Look! It’s not just that simple, okay?!” Michael exploded, throwing his hands in exasperation, the lights on the much higher ceiling flickering for an instant.

Wisely choosing to avoid conflict, Ray simply said, “I think it's time for a break.”

That man was a genius.
Misha
Addicted Roswellian

Re: The Offer (CC ALL, YTEEN) Ch. 39.1 - pg. 9 - 3 / 16

Post by Misha »

There are 24 pages on the editing floor... I realized three days ago that the reason this was being so agonizingly slow was that I wasn't letting those pieces go... Alas, it's a shorter chapter, but I hope it's a good one!

Huge thanks go to Timelord31 for making me go back to the drawing table time and time again until the part was good enough for you guys, and to Michelle in LA, who's the fastest beta this side of the fandom :D The Offer wouldn't be what it is without you guys!

XXXIX
The Nature of Things
cont.

“You know… the thing that… intrigues me…" Dave slowly said, his concentration half on his puzzle as he was putting the last pieces in the corner, “Is there really a gene for the Antarian soul?”

The question was as unexpected as it was weird. “Soul?” Max managed to ask. This was the kind of thing he would sometimes discuss with Kyle, hardly with anyone else, and much less with Dave.

Straightening himself, Dave looked rather serious for such a philosophical question. “Someone once said 'there's no gene for the human soul', but is there one for the Antarian?” Pausing for a moment, Dave reconsidered. “Maybe soul is the wrong word... Memories. Looking at you, and knowing what your people tried to do, the question is probably the most important one: Can memories be cloned?”

Standing with his back to the window, it all dawned on Max: “You want to know how much I remember.” It wasn’t a question. It was actually an unsettling thought: Could this be what Dave wanted? Clone his memories and achieve a twisted way of immortality?

“It’s an interesting topic,” Dave mused, carefully choosing his words as he rose and joined Max at the window. “Both Michael and Isabel were vague at best about their own memories, but… Tess. Tess seemed to remember. Many of the things she did were because she was pursuing those memories.”

Max remained quiet. He couldn't deny the fact that memories of a better, royal life had moved Tess to extreme measures. Ultimately, those memories had driven him to the same extreme but if he didn't have to volunteer that information, he wasn't going to bring it up.

“The thing about memories,” Dave said, looking out of the window and seemingly not worried about Max’s silence, “is that they are always changing… Even for such extraordinary memories as Jake’s and mine, they are altered by our perception of the world. By what we cared about then, and what we care now. In a way, we are shaped by our memories, and we shape them back. So what we remember, and how we remember them, is essential to knowing who we are.”

“I don’t remember that much for it to define who I am,” Max answered, uneasy at what Dave was hinting at.

“Maybe,” Dave conceded, unconvinced, “but its shadow keeps haunting you, even if your memories are pale echoes of what really happened.”

“So you think— what? That my memories are… tainted?” he asked. He was actually curious if he was going to be honest with himself. This he had never really thought about, that his memories were not what they were supposed to be. Vague and incomplete, sure, but not different than what they had originally been. He finally turned to look at Dave’s profile, now barely six feet to his right.

Dave turned to look at Max too, frowning. “They are humanized,” he explained, fully turning towards Max and leaning his back against the window. “You look at them through a human mind, coloring them with your own human experiences. But their basis is alien, and that intrigues me indeed.”

Max returned to stare at the puzzle, slowly exhaling and briefly closing his eyes. He didn’t know how to answer to that. Up until this morning, all his memories had been vague, glimpses of places, but every time he had tried to focus on people, on Michael or Isabel, or even Tess, he had come up empty. He could not remember their physical forms, just a sense of who they were, like a poorly described character in a book.

Even in his newly acquired memory about the guards on his way to the meeting, as clear as it was, everything he had seen had made sense in a human way. No alien thoughts. No alien perceptions. Just Max, looking into another’s life.

“They are not clear,” he finally agreed, resigned to answer Dave’s question, even curious as to how Dave would take the actual lack of information he could provide. “Feelings, sensations. Like a half-remembered dream whose details vanish during daylight. Only glimpses are left.”

“What do you remember the best?”

Max’s eyes briefly side-glanced Dave, and then returned to the puzzle. “Tess…” he whispered, and thinking better of it, he corrected: “Ava.”

Dave arched his eyebrows for a second. “Not the same person?”

No.

Yes.

“Ava is a vague glimpse that I cannot even really focus on, but that Zan was supposedly in love with,” he said out loud, trying to explain this even to himself. “Tess came out of nowhere and ultimately destroyed our lives. I have a hard time picturing them as the same,” he concluded, visibly frustrated. He also had a hard time picturing Zan’s life as his own, and it scared the hell out of him to imagine a day where he actually would. A day when Zan’s “soul” would crash into his life, making Max nothing but a memory.

“I don’t understand,” Max added, turning to look at Dave. “What is it that you want to know about Tess?”

He wanted to ask, too, why Dave kept bringing her back into the conversation, and God! Could they just stop talking about her? But these thoughts he kept to himself, even if his entire body language was screaming exactly that.

Dave slightly raised his hands in a gesture of truce.

“It’s just a way of knowing you,” he simply answered, without an ounce of apology. “These memories, Max, are an incredible drive. She went to extremes for a past that she claimed she remembered. You are followed by your people, both the good and the bad, because of what those memories make you.”

“I’m not Zan,” Max stated, three words he had told himself a thousand times over, his voice carrying more conviction than he had expected.

“And she was not Ava, right?”

Max nodded twice, his mouth set in a thin line.

“It’s a remarkable dilemma,” Dave said, slightly smiling at whatever he was thinking, his eyes roaming the half made puzzle. “Am I talking with Max, the 19-year-old boy who’s caught in the middle of an interstellar drama; or Zan, the alien king who was awkwardly placed in a life that doesn’t really matter, because he already has another life, one that includes overthrowing an usurper and getting his planet back?”

It really came down to those two paths, between what Max had been told he had been and what he wanted to become. To be. Time seemed to stretch forever as he considered his answer: Who was he?

When he finally spoke, Max’s voice sounded tired. “I’m just trying to do the right thing.” Max’s eyes diverted towards the window, the shattered glass by the corner a reminder of Michael’s typical outburst. It felt oddly familiar, and by extension, calming.

“Sometimes it means I have to be Zan,” he explained, simplifying a complex dance of playing the role according to his audience, “or pretend to be him to get us out of trouble. Sometimes I’m the leader, and my decisions carry the final word, the final responsibility and consequences. Sometimes it means I have to be the outsider, lay low and act normal, hiding what I can do. But most of the time I’m just a teenage boy who fell in love with a girl, and everything in between seems to be happening to someone else.” He inwardly sighed at the longing he felt in his words. At the burden that followed him around, no matter what role he was playing, because sooner or later, he would have to play another one.

He suddenly felt so old.

“But I’m not a king,” Max’s eyes locked with Dave’s. He needed this man to understand this if nothing else. “I’m barely able to recall anything alien, anything valuable in that regard. I… I realize that you have doubts. That you may want things we cannot give you, expect things out of our range. That maybe you’re even afraid of us. But this deal will only work if you trust us as much as you want us to trust you.”

There was something that fleetingly crossed Dave’s eyes, as if something in that statement had a deeper meaning to the older man.

“Fair enough,” he agreed a moment later, nothing but honesty on his face. “As interesting as Zan sounds, I’d rather deal with the… mundane.”

Not honesty, Max thought. More like… relief?

It had been relief, something Dave would admit one fateful day eight years in the future. Because Dave needed Max to be Max for his plan to work. Zan, on the other hand, would have ruined everything. Ironically, that same fateful day, everything would depend on Max being Zan.
Last edited by Misha on Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Misha
Addicted Roswellian

Re: The Offer (CC ALL, YTEEN) Ch. 39.2 - pg. 9 - 3 / 31

Post by Misha »

:shock: Yes, another year...

The good news is that book 2 is entirely written by now. All 51,000 words of it :mrgreen: It's now with the betas, and I'll have it ready once The Offer is finished... which should be one long chapter more... Thank you all for your patience!

Here's the next part! Thank you to marzmez for her beta-ing!

XL
The Weight of The World

It was 11:31 a.m. when Liz arrived at the elevator doors that led to Dave’s office. Try as she might, she had no patience to wait till noon for Max to come back. He had waited for her here, she fondly remembered, and so would she. The closer she was to him, the easier she could breathe.

This was the last half an hour of a long, long, long week, and it couldn’t end fast enough. If they had to leave, that was fine, if they had to stay, that was fine too. At this moment in time all she needed was for Max to be safe. He had not kept a particularly strong bond today, not wanting to worry her obviously, but that had just made her more anxious and desperate for any sign he would send.

Some part of him was nervous, and some part of him was sad. Another part had felt confident and serious. But for the most part, he had been afraid. Afraid of making the wrong decision, of saying the wrong thing. Of getting them into a devil’s bargain no one would be able to get away from unharmed.

Newsflash Max, we all agreed to be here… We all agreed to a lot of stuff in the past too, actually…

Closing her eyes, she rested her head against the wall and took a deep breath. Somewhere, up there, Max was talking to a man who had tracked them down for months and was trying to close a deal that stood to bring him far more benefits than it would them, but if there was something Liz had learned from the moment she had discovered Max’s secret, it was that peace of mind was priceless.

At least the kind of peace that would let us sleep without wondering if grenades are going to explode at 2 in the morning. That’s what they were getting out of this deal, and it wasn’t even 100 percent pure peace of mind. They would never have that.

Max would never have that. Or Michael, or Isabel… Who was she kidding? After that bullet had almost ended her life and had brought Max into hers, everyone who had ever been involved in the alien abyss was never going to have peace of mind… ever. She felt like laughing. The hysterical, maniac laugh that came from too much pressure, too little sleep, and too much to hope for.

It was one of those moments that felt like too much was on her shoulders, like there was not enough air in the entire world for her to breathe. I’m having some sort of breakdown, she idly thought, a part of her mind acknowledging that, at some point, everyone was entitled to some sort of breakdown, indeed.

“You know, Ms. Parker, we really have to stop meeting in halls,” Jake’s voice startled her out of her thoughts. Sure enough, he was politely watching her with a barely-there smile and a tired look on his face. And although he was taller than her by a good head and a half, he looked smaller. Not short, jus smaller. Something was heavily weighing in his mind, she knew, not only because she probably look just as small right now too, but because she had seen that posture too many times on her own husband when he thought no one was looking.

She half-heartedly shrugged one shoulder, and attempted a smile of her own.

“Long week,” he said knowingly, taking a position in front of her, leaning against the wall. She was sure that, had he been alone, he would have mirrored her previous position: eyes closed, head looking up, the world on his shoulders.

“Long year…” she corrected, half of her looking for Max’s emotions through their low connection. He wasn’t so afraid anymore. Or he was covering it better.

“You know, when I was your age, I wasn’t in a good position either. Dave was fourteen, we barely had any money, and we were completely alone in the world. But, he turned things around. I couldn’t see how that was gonna work, but it did.”

“That’s what you meant? The other day that we met… When you said—”

“—that he had already saved my life?” he finished for her. “No, he was much younger when he did that.”

This she wasn’t expecting. What could have a minus 14 year old have done to save someone’s life?

“It’s odd, isn’t it?” Jake continued, although this time he was looking at the ceiling, “The feeling that you matter enough for someone to want to save your life despite the risks.”

She slowly nodded, as the events of that crucial day came back to her. “Max risked everything he is to do that…” she whispered, that feeling that the world was not big enough coming back with a vengeance. If Max had let her die… if she had just duck like every single other person in that shooting… if any of a million other possibilities had played out, they would not be here.

“Just like that… Such a Max thing to do,” Jake said thoughtful, still looking up. She realized he was probably looking at Max and Dave somewhere up there, than just the ceiling.

“What did he do?” she asked, intrigued. “You know, Dave?”

3-7-3-4-7-1-6-4,” Jake said almost automatically, the random numbers making no sense to her. “8 digits,” he sighed as someone who is deep in the past and not really liking it. “Dave figured them out.”

“A combination?” she guessed.

“Freedom,” Jake all but confirmed it. A minute went by as she contemplated him contemplating 8 digits that meant escape somewhere thirty years ago. “I would have been dead by now,” he simply said, eyes still unfocused. “Heck, I would have been dead by my 20th birthday.”

I would have been for my 17th… Liz mentally acknowledged.

There would have been no fear, no missing Alex, not knowing the person Kyle had become, never being part of something so much bigger than herself. And not knowing Max. The real Max.

“There’s a before and after,” Jake was saying as she was really contemplating all the things she would have lost had she died that day at the Crashdown Café. “That exact moment in your life that defines that line. You can have a million other things happening to you that change your views, your habits, even some big ones that change your life in other ways. But there’s nothing like this one event. For most people it’s falling in love, having a child, accomplishing a goal. But for a handful of others, it’s surviving.”

“Not surviving,” Liz slightly shook her head, “not for me. That day that Max saved my life… I came to life. I don’t know how else to describe it.” She shrugged, feeling lighter, a genuine smile coming to her lips. Jake’s answering smile came a second after, even if it was smaller.

“Yeah, it did feel like that,” he admitted, looking at his watch. “Do you want to come up?” he simply asked.

“Come up, where?” Liz said, turning to look at the elevator.

“I need to talk to Dave as soon as Max leaves. Might as well have some company up there. I’m pretty sure Max won’t mind seeing you there either,” he said with a wink.

Something’s wrong, Liz thought, not at the idea of going up and meeting Max as soon as possible, but of Jake wanting to talk to Dave. The way he looked, how he had just talked.

Suspiciousness traveled through her connection unchecked, and she could feel Max stopping whatever he was thinking to concentrate on that. Great, as if he doesn’t have enough things to worry on his own, she thought while still looking at the elevator door.

“Sure,” she finally accepted, her turn to muffle things out of her side of their connection. And who knew? Maybe Jake wanted to chat a great lot more while waiting for Max to come out.

Two minutes later, they were on their way up.

Max stopped in mid sentence, as if he had heard something. Dave stopped moving as well, his fingers in the middle of turning a piece the right way. Slowly, Max exhaled.

“In the end, I decided to stop…” he finished, the last twenty minutes spent talking about hiding in plain sight, and how it almost backfired when he –and Isabel- had been sent to therapy. Of all things to endure, Dave sympathized.

It wasn’t that he didn’t value a good, serious, deep talk of oneself with a total stranger, but… “It’s not useful if you’re not truthful,” he concluded for Max.

"Did you talk to him, too?" Max asked, slightly narrowing his eyes, his shoulders tensing again. Not that they had ever been relaxed.

"Dr. Paul Woodward, graduated from New Mexico State University in 1982, had two other offices before moving to Roswell, New Mexico in 1998, including a position in said University. Divorced, two children. Had a decent reputation, and a not so decent fee for treating teenagers’ problems. 'Kids talk to him' I think was the recommendation line given by Roswell’s High School. But if he couldn't make you go for more than six sessions, I doubted it was worth my time either."

"Five," Max corrected, frowning with a bare hint of a smile. You didn't know that, it was meant to say, in a rather triumphant way. "Dad had to pay 6 as a minimum, but I skipped the last one. Being called by an interplanetary Summit seemed more important at the time..." It was intended as a sarcastic comment, but it came out more like a longing sigh. Maybe Max would have preferred to go to his sixth session instead to New York to face a life he was not sure was his.

"I never made it a secret I didn't want to go...” he continued, remembering while his eyes aimlessly followed the puzzle pieces closer to him. “And when I missed Thanksgiving, my parents thought they had gone too far. They didn't ask me to go again... and I never went back..." a beat, "as you well know." This time, the smile was more than just a bare hint. Dave smiled back, acknowledging the correction.

He had hacked into old Dr. Woodward’s computer and gotten into his files, just to make sure there were no more loose ends to tie in. Frustratingly, there had been nothing to find. He had either deleted the files by backing them up, or didn’t keep digital records. In the end, Dave had concluded that if nothing had come up in two years by now, he could let it go. Jesse’s therapist, on the other hand…

Now Dave wondered if he should try to look into those sessions once more. His ban from Roswell had been lifted once the kids were no longer there. If for nothing else, it would give him an idea of what kind of man Max had had to deal with.

“It was oddly… useful, actually,” Max added as a second thought, correcting Dave’s assumption again. “Not in the straight way one might think,” he agreed, still looking at the scattered pieces on his vicinity, “but it felt… normal. You know, it made me realize that not everything in my life was alien related. I had homework and grades to worry about, a job, parents that cared enough to seek help for me… Put things in perspective for a little while, at least. For one hour a week…” he trailed off, narrowing his eyes at a group of random pieces within his reach. Max had not tried to place pieces on the puzzle all morning long, something that didn’t surprise Dave.

“Couldn’t have been easy… with everything that was going on in your life,” Dave summarized, Max’s eyes stilling for a second as if a thinking something through.

“Do you really know where they fit?” Eyes still focused on the pieces, curiosity was evidently in his voice.

“The pieces?” Dave asked a bit taken aback by the sudden change of subjects, looking at the same pile Max was looking at. “Yes,” he simply answered. It was always so clear in his mind, and not for the first time he wondered how the world looked to regular people. “I flip them over in my head,” Dave explained, “There are clues, of course: the patterns, the direction, the color… and in more similar places, the shape of the pieces. Small, large, narrow…”

“And you remember… all of them? All the pieces? All the puzzles you’ve ever put together?” Max’s bewilderment was evident now, brown eyes meeting Dave’s hazel ones.

“It’s trickier than that,” Dave conceded. “I can recall them if I need the information, but it’s not like they are at the front of my mind all the time.”

Max let loose a tired smile, the bewilderment gone. “It was easy just like that,” he pointed out, turning his early question into an example. “In your every day, you deal with people all over the world, break codes, kidnap teenagers… but if you concentrate on one simple, normal thing, you could stretch it for an hour. He might not have been the brightest of doctors, I’ll grant you that, but I could pick one random fact about my life and he would listen without making me feel anything but a teenager.”

It was Dave’s turn to be –inwardly- surprised. Max had turned that one around rather nicely.

“So, why did you stop going?” Dave continued his questions, more careful now.

“There are only so many lies I can keep at any point of my life,” Max truthfully answered, eyes back to the puzzle, shadows running in his face. Especially at that point of your life, Dave silently added. Rumor had it Liz had slept with Kyle right about that time. Nasedo had died but a couple of months before; the Summit in New York… And just a little before all that… Pierce.

"Max was having nightmares, waking the entire house at times," Isabel barely said above a whisper, "how could we keep something like that from our parents?"

“Your parents never asked you again? Not to go back to the sessions, but…” he purposefully trailed off.

“I didn’t let them,” Max said, contemplating for a moment some inner thoughts. “I preferred to leave the house before dragging them in any further… And I’m glad they didn’t know until the end… I can’t imagine how they would have felt had they known before… What would they have tried to do to help us.” Max’s eyes filled with stormy thoughts as they met Dave’s, silently considering a question. Finally, “Are they okay?”

That depends on your definition of “okay”, Dave wisely kept to himself.

“They are worried,” he said at length. “Not knowing can be pretty hard on your nerves.”

Max slightly nodded. “Can you… can you let them know we are okay?”

That was tricky. Not only did he have to fool the Special Unit, it would spur their parents into wanting to do something. Right now that something had been asking questions to Roswell’s former Sheriff. From what Dave could gather, Jim Valenti was having an interesting time explaining himself to their parents as he was the only adult in the know, who had, in the end, lost their kids to an unknown future, including his own child. They were all still in Roswell, and that was fine by Dave. The Unit was waiting for the kids to slip up… to make contact… to follow them…

That might work…

“Something small,” Dave said out loud, as his mind was working into misdirecting the Unit. Till that moment, his idea had been to leave the Unit in darkness, thinking the six kids had vanished into the night to never be seen again. Would it work, though? What would he gain by giving them crumbs to follow just to leave them in the middle of nowhere? Maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to keep giving the Unit reasons to pursue the kids…

Except… by the way Max’s eyes lit up at the prospect, Dave finally decided that, at least this once, the risk was worth it, to gain the kids’ favor for once.

Eight years in the future, he would regret his decision.

“Something small,” Max agreed, hopeful one moment, lost the next. “We’ll have… to think about what…” he nibbled his lower lip, a subconscious action that gave away how important this truly was to him. Fleetingly, Dave wondered who had had the quirk first, Max or Liz?

“The idea about Liz’s Journal was… pretty bold,” Dave pointed out, seeing an opening to stir things into something he had wanted to ask for seven days in a row now. Two years if he was being honest.

Why Liz?

Of all the things Dave had learned, pieced together for those two years, that single event in time, Max saving Liz was what was responsible for having Max here. Had that not occurred, had Max not been in love with Liz, maybe the Royal Four would be back on their home planet…

Or maybe they would have gone on with an average life, white fence included.

Alas, neither was the case.

“It wasn’t fair,” Max reluctantly said, “for them… for Liz’s parents, and Maria’s mom. At least Kyle and his dad knew the whole truth, but even our parents hardly knew a thing… That night… when the soldiers came to our house and they had just learned we were… different… It was like living a nightmare,” Max held Dave’s stare, fear lurking in the back of his mind at the memory of what Max had most likely imagined the outcome was going to be. Taken away from his home while his parents watched in horror at what he was. “But they came through,” pride shone now in his eyes, probably not only because of his parents, but because it had been the right choice. When one’s life was at stake, every wise choice was a source of pride, indeed.

“You weren’t expecting that they would… take your side?” The answer was rather obvious, but he wanted to hear Max’s reply.

“I wasn’t sure,” he slowly answered, his eyes turning to the scattered pieces closest to him. “I honestly thought they would never find out.”

“What about Liz?”

Max’s eyes met Dave’s faster than lightning, as if Max had been caught thinking the wrong thing. Or fearing why am I bringing her to the talk.

“What about her?” From pride to guarded, the little trust Dave had been earned was now on thin ice. Very thin ice.

“Did you ever think she was going to find out?”

A pause. A dozen different emotions passed by, each one leaving Dave more intrigued. “Every day,” he quietly answered, the pride coming back, but keeping the guarded stance. “She was Liz Parker. She was not going to go to High School with a half alien sitting beside her without finding out somewhere along the line.” A slight smile. “I saw her every day for ten years, wondering… It was harmless, wishful thinking, I guess… I would have never… done anything to actually tell her… But when that gun went off… The whole world froze.”

Somewhere outside, a branch broke under the snow’s weight. Max’s eyes were just as distant, lost in some memory five years ago.

“I wish I could say that in that moment I thought I couldn’t live without her, that I… knew I was risking everything and everyone by saving her life, but the truth is, I can’t even recall Michael trying to stop me. I knew I had to go to her. There was nothing else in the world but getting to her side. No thoughts, no emotion… Just the overwhelming need to get to her. And then… and then I saw the blood… and everything just rushed back.”

“Because Liz was dying,” Dave accurately guessed.

“I was terrified,” Max whispered. “That’s when I knew I was risking everything and everyone… But I chose her. And… miraculously… she chose me back.”

A miracle Dave was more than thankful for, and knew had come with a lot of complications, but had Liz not chosen him back… what would that have done to Max’s young heart? If she had not lived up to his expectations, it would have been a disaster.

Ironically, if Dave didn’t pull off his own miracle with these kids, he would be leading them all into a bigger a disaster.

Misha
Addicted Roswellian

Re: The Offer (CC ALL, YTEEN) Ch. 40 - 1 / 22

Post by Misha »

Ah... I was so close this time to miss Dead & Buried... :|

In any event, I can now safely say there's only one last chapter to go, to wrap things up, and then we'll shoot to book 2, right into 8 years in the future :mrgreen:

Thank you all for your enormous patience! I know this is not an easy story to follow, so I'm always grateful that you still come back to read :)

Thank you to marzmez and Michelle in LA for their incredible beta powers :D

XL
The Weight of The World

cont.

Jake R. Holt wished for three simple things: that he could sit down with a cup of coffee; that it was a rainy afternoon; and that one Liz Parker was sitting in front of him and willing to answer all his questions in one go.

Instead, they were both standing a few feet from Dave’s office door, staring at it; there was no coffee in sight; and although it was snowing, midday did not have the same cozy sense as afternoons did. And most importantly, he was not going to ask Ms. Parker anything.

Do you want to have children with Max? What does it feel like to have a flash? Why didn’t you run away that night when he told you the truth?

No, none of those. Dave probably would be interested in the last question, and he might even ask it outright. Jake wasn’t as bold, but it didn’t mean he didn’t want to know.

“Is everything all right?” Liz asked after a minute, turning concerned eyes to him. Jake raised an eyebrow, for one second wondering if he’d actually asked those questions out loud and not just in his head. “You seemed… kind of worried down there…” she elaborated. It took Jake a second to gather his thoughts in the here, the now, and the appropriate.

“Something we’d hoped would remain in the past has just… popped up,” he said as truthfully as he could. Their past, Dave’s and his, was something that had a knack of always lurking at the edges of their lives, and it was not a welcome reminder that it could easily be used against them no matter how often they ran.

“Something serious?” she deduced.

Yes.

“No, just kind of annoying,” and that was the end of his truthfulness. “When Dave comes for a visit, there are always a million things to do. He… Well, he distracts easily if you’re not careful, and next thing you know, he’ll be calling you at 3:00 a.m. to tell you what he thinks about ‘that thing we were talking about the other day’.”

She nodded twice as if that made sense, and absently bit her lip as her eyes glanced at the closed door. Behind it, Max was still talking to Dave, probably wrapping things up into a mutual agreement. Jake wasn’t worried about it, but Liz clearly was. In a way, because Max had saved her life, they were all here. Max had risked so much when he saved her, especially his own heart, yet he had chosen well… most of the time. Some things, like a shooting at the Crashdown Café that would bring those two together, were just beyond anyone’s control. Even Dave’s.

“Did Max lie to you?” Jake asked, realizing an instant later that question had not come out as he had intended.

“Lie to me?” Liz repeated, half surprised, half insulted.

Jake raised one hand as if to appease. “I mean, when he healed you, afterwards. Did he lie about what he had done?” he explained, remembering all too well how he had first disbelieved Dave when he had called him to offer this project. Only it wasn’t just a project, was it, Dave? he somberly thought. Liz looked back at the door for a second.

“I… I sort of didn’t give him a choice…” she answered, looking at some point in the wall while she was thinking it through. Slightly nodding to herself, she turned her eyes to his. “I spent the entire night looking at the ceiling, and my brain was blank one second, and completely crowded with impossible ideas the next. I couldn’t pick one. I didn’t even know how to ask for help or how to research it. And that’s when I knew,” she shrugged. “I had to ask Max. That was the only way I was going to be able to sleep again. The only way the world was going to be right again.” She gave him a half-resigned smile.

“Did it work?”

“Yeah… he told me. He kind of had to once he saw the glowing handprint… and I had seen his cells under the microscope.” This time, the smile turned mischievous.

Sneaky, he silently praised. He shook his head.

“Not that. Were you able to go back to sleep again once you had your answer?”

It took her longer to put her thoughts together this time. Finally, “No. Not really… Not by a long shot. By the second night I had already compiled a list of questions I was too embarrassed to ask. Everyday I would go to school and practically stare at him. And then it hit me: I was part of something bigger. And it was amazing. Or at least it was for a couple of hours until I realized I was never going to be able to tell anyone. When Valenti came that Friday, asking questions about Max, giving me my backpack without my uniform in it? That’s when it became real. That’s when I understood what kind of world I was now living in. What kind of world Max had always been living in.”

That’s when it hit you that you had survived, Jake thought to himself, remembering a highway 26 years back when he had come to the realization that he, too, had survived. He was free. He and Dave were finally out.

“But that just made me want to protect him, you know? I had been clueless my entire life about this incredible and terrifying fact. Looking back I realized I had seen Max, since the third grade, quietly living with this fear, of not knowing where he came from, who would come for him, or even if he was going to be alive the next week. When that bullet threw me to the floor and Max came running to me… I knew something that wasn’t supposed to happen was happening, I just didn’t know what. But when I finally got it, I understood that what Max had done was to face his worst fear, the fear of discovery, because losing me was worse. I can honestly tell you my nights were never the same after that.”

She’d said it all seriously, but as she realized what she’d just admitted, she smiled. A shy smile that wanted to become a full blown grin but instead found its escape into a blush. Falling in love was no small feat. That this girl found it between gun shots, FBI Agents, alien hunters, and life and death decisions was nothing short of a miracle. How small her frame looked, Jake reflected, yet she’d snatched Antar’s mighty future king’s heart without trying, one sunny day on an alien themed restaurant floor.

Yet the real question was this: was she going to be strong enough to hold on to it in the years to come?

Time was up, and Dave’s internal clock gave a final tick tock that echoed through his mind. If he’d played his cards right, then everything he’d planned, every single move he’d made for the past two years –let alone the past week- would have been worth it.

If he’d miscalculated, though…

In front of him, watching the snow fall, Max was silently weighing his final word on their deal. Dave was no mind reader, but it wasn’t hard to imagine that Max’s worst fears were playing on the movie screen in the back of his head. He was deliberating between surrendering now, or to keep running; between the promise of freedom, and the certainty of being caged. A very dangerous and precarious freedom, or a very safe and cozy cage, Dave admitted to himself, but what real choice was there for someone like Max?

I was 12 when the first hunters started looking for me… by the time I was your age I was way past my first million dollars. But then again, I’ll never sit at an interplanetary Summit or claim a throne for myself.

There was a lifetime of decisions that only Max could make, including this one, and Dave wondered if his friends and family truly appreciated the burden on this young man’s shoulders. He’d tried to persuade Max by telling him that leaving would be a waste of his talents, for one, and lost opportunities for all of them, for another. You know Max, I could try to keep you here, but in the end it wouldn’t do either of us any good. I have no desire of holding you against your will. It was the escape clause Max needed, and Dave was more than happy to provide it. It was the promise that he would let them go, and now the decision came down to whether or not Max could trust Dave’s word.

“You have to understand that I don’t agree with what you did before…” Max slowly said, in that quiet manner of his that made everything calm, even deadly cold, “but until there’s no safer option… there’s really no other option.” He was still looking at the falling snow, but his shoulders were tense, his hands were stuffed in his pockets- more a sign of anxiousness than of being casual. “I will defend myself and mine if you cross that line ever again.” Max nodded once to himself, as if he were reassuring his inner self that he was making the right decision. He turned to look at Dave, “And if you touch my wife again, you’re a dead man.”

It was a promise, of that Dave had no doubt. Dave nodded once.

“Then we have a deal,” Max said, and with those words he turned around and silently and decisively walked out of Dave’s office, the door closing behind him making no sound.

The silence left in his wake was rather deafening, as if Max had taken all the sounds in the room with him, all the energy that made Dave’s office impressive. Now it was just a big room with furniture in it, but no life. No power.

By the window where Max had stood looking outside, Dave noticed something odd. His curiosity piqued, he pushed the foreboding feeling that Max had somehow left him powerless by walking out of the room, and went over to the window.

It was shattered.

The eight glass squares surrounding the area were Max had stood were cut into a million fine cracks. Where Michael’s outburst shattering the window had been fierce and explosive, Max’s energy had been subtle, quiet, but no less destructive.

This, Dave decided, is what really leaves me feeling powerless.
Last edited by Misha on Mon May 14, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Misha
Addicted Roswellian

Re: The Offer (CC ALL, YTEEN) Ch. 40.2 - 5 / 9

Post by Misha »

I can't believe I'm saying this, but welcome back to read the last chapter! (of book 1, anyway).

There are a ton of people to say thank you to, but I'll leave that for after the end. Just know I thank you all!

I think I'll start posting book 2 by June 4th. Although the book is entirely written, it still needs the beta's careful eye, but I'm aiming to post every Monday if the gods allow it :mrgreen: I'm also writing book 3 for Camp NaNo so hopefully I'll have a coherent tale by July to work with this year. (I bet Timelord is reading this in total disbelief. You thought this day may never happen, uh?). Ken, to answer your question, The Offer took 11 days from the moment they were caught till the moment this chapter ends. The longest 11 days of my life...

To all you readers out there, THANK YOU! I may not know you, but knowing you are out there was a constant motivation to keep going. If you can spare a moment, I would love to know what was your fave part :D

XLI
Correspondence

Michael melted and reformed a rubber ball he’d found somewhere laying around. That he’d gotten much, much better with his powers was a fact no one could deny, but it still unnerved Maria to see him so openly displaying his annoyance. He knew Ray was watching him while explaining to Isabel some inner workings of the handgun she was holding, and he also knew it was making Ray nervous.

Great! Leave it to Michael to scare the hell out of the only teacher who’s willing to place a gun in his hands…

Apparently bored with the effort of manipulating molecules, Michael threw the ball against the wall, and caught it effortlessly a second later. He threw it again, caught it again. And again. And again. This ritual of dealing with his anxiety was more familiar to her, but no less annoying. She needed some way to vent her own nervousness, and Michael was in no mood to help her through it. That would usually leave Liz, but her best friend was somewhere, waiting for Max.

“Could you just stop doing that?” she irritably said. Michael raised his hand and caught the ball one last time, and remained still. Too still. “What? What happened?” she asked a moment later when Michael’s eyes turned to search for Isabel’s. She was looking right at him.

“Max…” he whispered, finally turning to look at Maria, “was holding one hell of a punch…”

There was only one place in the whole world where Max wanted to be and that was exactly where he was: in Liz’s arms. Immense relief filled him by just seeing her, feeling her, holding her. His hands were still tingling with the effort it had taken to not release his nervous energy in a spectacular display of fireworks, especially ten minutes ago when he’d closed the deal. Now he needed reassurance that he hadn’t made the biggest mistake of his life.

Liz’s hands stroking his back soothed him while he leaned on her. He just needed a moment to gather his thoughts, gain some composure and be able to walk down that corridor and take the elevator to his new “home”. Just a moment… or two.

Jake’s eyes locked with Liz’s as she silently held Max. In retrospect, he would say that every little bit of the queen she was going to be shone in her eyes in that moment; but in that instant what he thought was how fierce she looked, protecting Max from Jake’s prying eyes. This was a moment meant for the two of them and no one else. That Jake couldn’t help but be there was not important. That he didn’t take advantage of it was. And that was exactly what Liz was doing with the way she was warning him with her eyes: don’t say a thing, don’t bring attention to yourself, don’t even breathe.

He didn’t. Instead his eyes focused on Dave’s closed door, and wondered for the hundredth time what was Dave really up to. And if once he knew, would he stand behind him or not?

Eight years in the future, he would have his answer.

It was time to leave, but Dave could not stop staring at the fine cracks on the glass. Just as Jake had searched for a point of impact on Michael’s shattered glass, Dave was trying to understand how the energy had diffused through all eight panels.

His mind was also reviewing the last seven days of interviews. They were good liars, he admitted, but they still needed practice. There had been things he had expected and few surprises. Most of all, it had been a tale of bad and good decisions, a lot of luck and guessing. A lot of shooting, hiding, and fear.

And love.

Then, there were other things that intrigued him. Like why none one of them had mentioned Kal Langley and–

“There’s a situation,” Jake’s voice sounded rather loud in the silence of the office, efficiently shattering Dave’s train of thought.

“I take it it’s nothing good?” he asked, turning to look at his best friend, ignoring the window –and its implications- for now.

“Richard gleefully cornered me today; told me that hacker of yours went hunting for the Alpha files.”

Wonderful. I’ve just finished one crisis to land right into the next one.

“You don’t look all that surprised,” Jake said, fully entering the room and closing the door behind him, “or worried…”

“If it were really serious, Richard would have banged in here the moment he saw it. I’m sure he had his reasons for running to you though. What did he complain about?”

Jake took a second to recover. It was never nice to be told one had been manipulated. “He complained about you, actually. That I should make sure your mind was on the right problems.”

Dave chuckled. You have no idea.

“You’re concerned I’m not?”

“I’m concerned you are juggling too many balls.”

“Fair enough… But as far as I’m concerned, things are going well. A kid hacking into our childhood files is hardly a threat on my radar, Jake. If he couldn’t get into my codes, then I won’t lose sleep over him. Now, if you’re interested in catching one of my balls, come closer and see Max’s response to closing the deal.”

His curiosity piqued, Jake stopped glaring at Dave for taking the subject lightly, and approached the window. A moment later, he whistled.

“Yeah, imagine what he would have done had he said no,” Dave said thoughtfully, letting the doctor’s mind to take over. They both stared at it in silence for a few seconds. Having appeased Jake for the moment, Dave took that as his cue. “And speaking of juggling, I have a plane to catch and a meeting to attend in about 32 hours.” Not to mention a plan to set in motion now that Max has said yes.

Jake sighed in defeat. That stopped all thoughts in Dave’s mind, again. What now? “Do you really know what you’ve done to those kids, Dave? Max came out of this room ten minutes ago and he went straight to hold Liz as if she were his last salvation. And all I could do was watch by the sidelines. I don’t think he even noticed I was there. Are you sure you’re doing the right thing?”

“Yes.”

They locked eyes for a long, silent moment. Jake nodded to himself, almost as if telling his inner self that Dave could be trusted. “Okay… okay… You go and play with the world. I’ll stay and look after them. Hopefully, Ray won’t quit… might even help me out as well…” They both smiled at that and the tension dissipated. “I’ll see you in a month then. And keep me posted on the hacker thing, please? I don’t want our lovely Administrator Richard to catch me off guard again.”

And off Jake went through the door, leaving Dave to his own devices. There were only a couple of things he still had to do before leaving the compound and starting his journey to Berlin. So much to do, so far to go… he muttered to himself as he took his G.E.S. He fleetingly thought that in less than ten years, everyone would probably have something like these little handheld computers to play around with.

Pressing buttons and going through systems, he arranged the car to be brought to the door and told the pilot to ready his private jet. He made sure that annoying hacker kid had not attempted anything again. He assured Susset that he was officially “on the clock”, and that she could start sending him the pending projects and notifications he needed to pay attention to. It took her two minutes to gather her thoughts and start filling his inbox with urgent, really urgent and extremely urgent matters. She really didn’t like it when he took extended vacations.

He stopped smiling, though. There was one last thing he had to do before leaving, but the shattered window gave him pause. What would I have done had Max said no? the thought stuck in his mind. Max had said yes, but barely. At that moment in time, Dave contemplated everything that could have gone wrong, that still could go wrong, and he froze.

Too many variables, too many unknowns, too many shadowy figures… Such an impossible task—

The horn of a car brought him out of his reverie with such force he actually took a step back. That sense of urgency cleared his mind of any doubt and his composure returned. Nonsense, he told himself, his confidence back in place. The car he’d ordered was already waiting and he had things to do, people to talk to, places to go. All those things that needed to be moved and arranged for his plan to work in the years to come were just waiting on him. It wasn’t an impossible task, but it certainly was a very complex one. And if they did leave… well, he would cross that bridge if he ever found himself there.

Pulling up his outbox one last time before leaving, he efficiently and grimly composed one last message. He wasn’t happy having to report the milestones he was reaching, but he had promised. Not complying with the rules he had set for his own protection would end in disaster sooner rather than later.

Hitting the “send” button and glancing one last time at his office –especially at the shattered window- Dave felt confident all over again. Wasn’t his message proof enough that his plan was working? Just three words. Just a simple phrase directed to the other “conspirator” of this plan.

They are staying.

End of Book 1
Misha
Addicted Roswellian

Re: The Offer (CC ALL, YTEEN) Ch. 41 - 5 / 21 COMPLETE

Post by Misha »

Here it is: THANK YOU!

There are a lot of people who helped me through the 9 years it took to plot, write, review and post this story, and I'm bound to leave someone out, but to all of you, THANK YOU!

KathyW: who convinced me the plot was not far fetched. I owe you big, girl! Your comments are always so appreciated! And your wonderful series has inspired me in more than one way. I hope one day I can write as well as you do :mrgreen:

Michelle in LA: aahhh, you, my friend, make the reviewing process a roller coaster: scary but fun :lol: Your insights are always taken into consideration, even if sometimes I'm glaring at you.

marzmez, I've been blessed with wonderful betas, and the story would never be what it is without your valuable red pen.

Josh: I can't say I'm sorry for dragging you into the alien abyss. Your timely betaing helped this thing get through 8)

To my wonderful betas through the years: thetvgeneral, sarah, sundance, Sundae, jero, behrinthecity and all the others who got a correction here and there for me, wherever you are, thank you for taking on beta duties with so much care and insight.

To my faithful readers:

Timelord31, so few words, so much guilt...

ken_r, you are such a wonderful listener! Plotting has never been so much fun!

xmag: I certainly thought twice about writing Michael and Maria knowing I had such a fierce Candy reading over my shoulder :shock:

cjsl8ne: it's always so nice to see you coming back, and in two boards! It makes me feel I'm doing something right :)

cwm_: thank you for sticking to the story, girl!

To all my other reviewers: I have no words to tell you how much your reviews mean to us authors. All of them spark the desire to keep writing, even if they are one liners. The long, insightful ones are like Christmas.

And all of you who started, continued and finished the story, THANK YOU! Knowing you were out there was of great inspiration to get the muse back.

To thank you all, here's the first part of Chapter 1 for The Message, the next book. I'll come back next Monday to start the actual thread and post the entire chapter.

The Message

Part 1 – Soon
November 2nd, 2011

1 : Michael

12:43pm
T minus 3 hours, 17 minutes

They had stayed.

For eight long years the six of them had stayed within Dave’s shadowy empire. Things had changed since those cold February days when they had accepted the offer, he would admit, but two simple things still remained: they still were under Dave’s supervision, and they still were not clear about what exactly Dave was aiming for.

But not for long, Michael thought as his eyes swept the park. He was sitting on a bench in Central Park, the early November wind chilling his exposed hands. Tucking them in the pockets of his black coat, he tried not to get his hopes too high. He was waiting for Max and Isabel to share his latest discovery, and this time things did seem promising, if in a dark way. He could be wrong though, like so many times before. He actually hoped he was wrong this time, too.

Somewhere, children were laughing. The park was filled with trees in greens, yellows and reds, and more buildings Michael cared to count. Despite being in one of the world’s most crowded cities, sitting here in a deserted area should feel lonely. But Michael always had the feeling that someone was watching him, at every turn, every time he stepped out into the world. Maria said it was only his paranoid self, and after years of being out and about, he thought that was probably true. Still, he felt edgy. Where were Max and Isabel?

Glancing at his watch for the hundredth time, he cursed his bright idea about being early. They had agreed to meet at 1 pm, and there were still 17 minutes to hit the mark. His foot impatiently drummed the floor, marking some inner rhythm that eluded his conscious mind. He was so eager about sharing his news he had rushed to this bench, but his eagerness was fast becoming dread.

He had news from home. That is, their other home.

Funny how he had spent half of his life wanting to know about it so much it hurt, and then he had spent the other half unraveling the secrets kept in his memories, just to be sitting on this bench pondering whether or not, now that home was closer than ever, he actually wanted to know.

He remembered what the view from Dimaras Rock looked like, how the skyline from the Palace looked, but most of what he remembered was facts. There had never been a sense of wonderment attached to those scenes. That life had always been about being alert, always being on the lookout. For some reason, he didn’t remember much about what he felt for people or situations, and sometimes he wondered if it was because he didn’t want to remember, or if nothing in that past life could compare to how he felt now. Here, in this time, in this world, he was in love, and for the longest time now, he felt like he fit in. Here on Earth. Although not exactly here on this bench.

He didn’t remember much of his childhood back on Antar. None of them did. He didn’t remember how he had died either, although his mind liked to play tricks on him from time to time and he would wake up in a cold sweat. He could never retrieve those memories, he wasn’t even sure that those nightmares were about his death, but something told him that what lay dormant in his subconscious, was better left alone for now. At least until they could decide what to do with their growing knowledge.

He impatiently looked as a jogger went past him. The trail where he was sitting was secluded, but by no means private. New York was a busy city, and the fall foliage was a spectacle all on its own, making Central Park busier as well. But being out in the open made it harder for anyone following them to listen in on their conversation. Dave could swear all he wanted he was not following them, but Michael knew deep down with some inner sense that that wasn’t the case. It was the strategist in him, the soldier in him maybe, that would not allow himself to feel comfortable about sharing this man’s secrets in close spaces.

Eight years was a long time to learn about his enemy. And even if Dave still kept things behind firewalls, Michael had gotten past almost all of them. He’d learned a great deal about what kinds of business Dave liked to do, and what kinds of people Dave liked to make deals with. That was why, when he had deciphered the Level Six codes yesterday, he had frozen.

It was lucky the three of them were in the same city –let alone the same country these days—
and he had taken full advantage of that. What he had read was not something he wanted to discuss over the phone, or worse, with their human circle around.

He winced slightly. He hated keeping things from Maria, but this was a necessary evil. Once he knew what to do with these memories and responsibilities, then he would tell her… some of it… maybe. There was just no good reason to bring this subject to the table only to decide later on that his long forgotten past would stay forgotten. The current theory was they should embrace it but keep it at a distance. Hell, if it were only that easy.

“Hey,” Max said by his left, making Michael jump out of his thoughts, his first instinct to defend. The closest lamppost flickered, and Max took an involuntarily step back with his hands slightly raised. A flimsy, small, green energy shield shimmered for about two seconds as they stared at each other. Then Max let it go and they both let go of the breath they’d been holding.

“Jesus, don’t do that!” Michael admonished. It had been at least a couple of years since he had lost control of his powers, and the reminder now was not welcome. At least Max had been startled too.

“Sorry, I thought you had… already sensed me.”

“I had other things on my mind,” Michael murmured, as Max took a seat beside him, both men feeling slightly embarrassed at their reactions. Their matching black coats gave them an air of mystery, though neither of them was conscious of that. They both subtly looked around, trying to see if anyone was paying attention to their energy surges. No one did.

“That was interesting,” Max said lightly, his eyes going to the tree line as Michael’s had done when he had settled in. Michael wouldn’t say almost-blowing-you-up was interesting, but Max always had had a dry sense of humor. “Last time you almost blew me up was five years ago…”

That was Jake’s fault,” Michael sourly reminded his best friend. He had never really trusted Jake –that was Max’s department— but after that day, he had trusted him even less.

“All I’m saying is,” Max said in a calm voice, still looking at the trees and the buildings further out, “that I haven’t seen you so tensed up about anything for a long time. How serious is this, Michael?”

The last sentence was not a question, really, more like a command. Here was Zan’s side of the equation, talking to his good ol’ general. Out of the three of them, Max had had the most success in blending in his former memories with his own, but it didn’t mean he wouldn’t sometimes slip into that part of him that was used to giving orders and expecting answers. Michael was getting there. Isabel was still struggling, but damn if any of them would confess such things to anyone outside the three of them. Except maybe Jake.

He was not going to get into another argument with Max about Jake, nor was this the appropriate time to get into any kind of argument.

“It’s serious,” he simply answered, and Max nodded once, acknowledging he understood.

There were few things they would consider serious enough to have a private talk about, and they all pretty much involved Dave or the Special Unit. Now Michael was bringing up a third option.

Max turned to his right a second before Michael did. Now that he was focused on sensing her, Isabel’s familiar energy was getting near. They had always sort of felt each other in close proximity, but after years of training, they could pinpoint exactly where the other was in a 100 feet radius. That is, if they were not worrying about something else. No wonder Max had thought it exceptionally odd that Michael had been startled.

“We’re not gonna like it, are we?” Max asked, his posture a little less regal. This was Max talking, and Michael was happy about it.

Do we ever? Michael silently thought as he shook his head. They had rarely had any sort of meeting this way, usually preferring Isabel’s dreamwalking sessions for exchanging information, but the problem with dreams was that details got lost by the time they awakened. He could not afford for details to get lost now.

Turning the corner, Isabel’s red coat and blond hair were hard to miss. Her smile shone the second she saw them, and it was hard not return the smile. They had not seen her in the flesh in the last five months.

“Hey!” she said enthusiastically as she hugged Michael first, and Max second. “I’ve missed you,” she added, looking them both in the eyes, her smile dwindling as the seriousness of their faces sunk in. “We’re not gonna like it, are we?” she asked the same way Max had.

“I finally broke through the Level Six codes,” Michael said without answering her. She would know soon enough how much she was not gonna like it.

“And?” Max said, surprised and afraid at the same time. They had known for a long time that in those codes lay the answers to all their questions about Dave. Or at least they had thought so.

“I only went through a few of the files, and the Network Keepers helping me were having a heart attack at managing to get in, but there was one… about high-energy microwave signals in deep space.”

“Wait—like Brody’s microwave signals?” Max asked, trying to understand.

Exactly like Brody’s microwave signals. I got the file, and went to decipher it on my own. They seem to be messages, back and forth, though most of them are still gibberish.”

“What are you saying?” Isabel asked, worry now in her voice. If there was one thing she hated, was remembering anything that had to do with Antar and her traitorous past. “That Dave’s been communicating with someone out there?”

Someone pretty much meaning Khivar, and that would make Dave the next in line for the traitor title.

“It seems exactly like that,” he somberly answered.

“Is there any chance he might be just monitoring communications?” Max added, ever looking for ways to make things not so bad. Michael reluctantly nodded.

“It’s not like they have a sender and a subject, or that I could see where the signals are coming from here on Earth, I still have work to do on that, but… The last message that came through a couple of weeks ago was very clear: Someone’s coming for us.”