Can't We Try (A/I, Teen 1/1) 9/12/05

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

KaraGail
Addicted Roswellian

Can't We Try (A/I, Teen 1/1) 9/12/05

Post by KaraGail »

A/N: This is something I wrote after Alex returned from Sweden (and I feel that this should have been the way the writers handled it) :lol:

Disclaimer: The characters of Roswell belong to Jason Katims, Melinda Metz, WB, and UPN. They are not mine and no infringement is intended.

Category: Alex and Isabel

Rating: Teen

Part 1/1

Can't We Try

By: KaraGail

Alex stepped off the plane and groaned as he finally came to grips that he was back in Roswell and no longer in Sweden. He had spent the last 2 months as am exchange student and it had been great to get away from all the problems he faced in his home town. Now, as he stepped into the airport, he knew he would have to face them again.

One problem that he definitely needed to work on was Isabel Evans, the love of his life. He had dated her for what seemed like ten seconds earlier that year. But that had been before DESTINY had reared it’s ugly head and tore the group apart.

Alex had tried to get close to her again but she had pushed him away. He had understood up until she had taken up with Grant Sorenson right after telling him that she couldn’t get involved with anyone. Alex had been hurt for days after her birthday party when he had surprised her with a strip tease and she had surprised him with bringing her date.

A few weeks later when he had told her he was going out of town, Isabel hadn’t seemed to care. She had wished him well and was sure she would see him when he returned.

“Oh well” he ran a hand through his hair that he had let get longer in the last few months. “It’s time to move on.”

Hitching his book bag higher on his shoulder he made his way to the baggage claim where he knew his parents would be waiting. He just hoped that the time apart from Isabel would dull the constant need for her that he had developed over the years.

Isabel Evans continued to push herself as she jogged through the town hoping to out run the demon of her past life. She was still feeling guilty over the whole Vilandra episode even after she and Max had come to terms with everything.

Running had become a necessity when she realized she had no one to talk to and listen to her. It seemed to help her clear her mind of all the problems her alien half brought her.

As she continued to run, Isabel was not really paying attention to her surroundings until she was near the Crashdown. Out of the corner of her eye something caught her attention and she looked up to see a tall lanky guy walk into the café. The sight of the familiar boy made her come to a dead stop as her heart raced when she realized who it was.

“Alex” she said aloud to herself in wonder of seeing him again.

Automatically she began to remember how loving he had been to her before she had finally pushed him away. He had been her best friend. Someone she could talk to when she had a problem and was the only guy who saw her beauty on the inside as well as the outside.

Isabel had given that up when her mother’s hologram had informed her that she belonged with Michael. Alex had tried to stand by her as long as he could but somewhere after her birthday she had lost him.

Unable to help herself, she looked into the windows of the Crashdown and watched as Liz enveloped Alex in a hug. A few seconds later, Maria joined in as he held his two best friends.

Sighing Isabel turned away from the sight and ran back the way she had come. This time she was hoping to out run the image of Alex as he held her.

“How was Sweden?” Maria asked as she placed a drink in front of Alex

He smiled at his quirky friend, “It was great. I’m really glad I went.”

“Well I’m glad your back. It just hasn’t been the same without you. We really need to start rehearsing soon.”

Alex chuckled, “I do believe that you have been bitten by the bug.”

“Bug?” Maria frowned as she leaned across the counter toward him.

“The stage bug.”

She laughed, “You know me. I want to be a star.”

“So how is everyone?” Alex began to sip his soda realizing that he hadn’t had an orange soda since he left a few months ago.

“Well let’s see.” she held up a finger counting everyone off, “Michael and I are currently ON. So I am both happy and miserable. Liz and Max are still starring into each others eyes and Tess is now living with the Valenti’s.”

Without thinking about it he heard himself ask, “How’s Isabel?”

“Oh, the Ice Princess? She is the same but lately she has gone back to her old self. Very standoffish.”

Alex nodded and set his glass down, “I better get home. I still have a lot of unpacking left to do.”

Maria ran around the counter and wrapped her arms around him, “Don’t leave ever again, okay?”

He smiled down at her knowing that he could never promise her that. One day he hoped to get far away from Roswell and to get on with his life.

That night, Isabel crawled into bed, her body aching from the stress she had put it through while she ran. She could have healed herself and eased the pain but decided that she needed to feel human tonight.

She had pushed herself even harder after seeing Alex that afternoon. Isabel had realized that if she hadn’t ran away from him then she would have ran to him. There was nothing like Alex Whitman’s hugs and right now she could really use one.

Sliding her hand under her pillow she pulled out the worn picture that was constantly there. Isabel’s finger tips itched to touch the familiar lines of Alex’s face and after an internal war gave in and touched it.

“Let me in.” she whispered before shutting her eyes and finding herself in Alex’s dream.

They were surrounded by snow and he was bundled up in a snow suit pacing in front of her. Isabel couldn’t help but admire how the blue of the suit brought out the color of his eyes. She had always thought his eyes were so beautiful and pure. She could always tell what he was thinking just by looking into those orbs.

Pulling her attention away from him she realized he must be dreaming of Sweden. Just as it dawned on her, Isabel’s eyes went back to Alex and once again was struck by how handsome he looked. Her heart quickened and she wanted nothing more but to go to him and reveal herself to him.

She saw him stop pacing and a grin spread across his face. Isabel started to smile back wondering when her dream self would appear as she had done in many of Alex’s dreams. There had been many times that she had needed reassurance that someone cared for her that she had gone to him while he slept.

Isabel’s smile faded away when Alex wrapped his arms around someone that wasn’t her.

‘I thought you would never make it, Leanne.” he led the petite blonde to a bench where they both sat.

“I couldn’t let you leave without saying goodbye.” she smiled up at him while taking his hand in hers.

Isabel was unable to stop the jealousy that clenched in her stomach as she realized that Alex had met someone while he had been away in Sweden.

“I wish I didn’t have to go back.” He sighed.

Leanne nodded, “But you must, Alex. You are needed.”

He shook his head, “They don’t need me. Believe me.”

Isabel felt her heart break at his words. She wanted to tell him that he was important to everyone of them in the group.

“I’m sorry, Alex” Leanne got up from the bench, ‘Thanks for the fun times.”

Alex sat there and watched her go before dropping his head into his hands, “Why does it seem like all my relationships last less than a minute?”

Isabel saw the misery and knew she couldn’t watch anymore. Quickly she tore herself from his dream with a cry, she began sobbing for the heart she had broken and for the love she could have had.

“Alex should be here any minute.” Liz said excitedly as the crowd got ready to surprise him in the Crashdown. Both Maria and she had put together the surprise welcome home party for their male friend and now were just waiting for the guest of honor to arrive.

Not only the Pod Squad was there but also Alex’s band mates and others who wanted to see him. It was spur of the moment planned but the girls had everything from food to music as well as the huge banner that read “WELCOME HOME ALEX!”

Isabel took it all in from her corner wondering what she would say when she finally saw him again. She was still shaken up over the dream and had been unable to think of nothing else but him for the past few days.

“Where is he?” Asked a frantic Maria about twenty minutes later.

Liz looked at her watch for the millionth time, “Maybe I should call and see if he is okay. He told me yesterday when I called that he would come in tonight to visit.”

Isabel frowned wondering where he was. This wasn’t like him to not show up at the Crashdown so she watched as Liz picked up the phone and dialed.

“Hi, Mr Whitman it’s Liz. IS Alex there” She paused and at that moment Isabel wished she had super hearing to know what was being said.

“No he didn’t tell me.” Liz frowned

Isabel arose from her seat and walked closer to the counter wondering what was going on.

“Okay.” Liz sighed and looked over the crowd in the café and gave a shake of her head, “Have him give me a call when he gets back.”

As she hung up the phone, Maria quickly jumped on her friend wanting answers, “Where is he?”

“It seems Alex has gone to California for the weekend. He had an opportunity come up at last minute for him to visit one of the colleges there and he left early this morning. He should be back Sunday evening.”

Maria frowned, “California? He didn’t say anything about going away again.”

Isabel felt her heart trip at hearing that Alex was gone once again.

“That’s not like him.” Max also frowned.

Michael on the other hand shrugged, “Sp what now? We have all this food and people.”

Liz looked around decided to go ahead with the party since everyone was already there. Isabel didn’t stick around to hear the announcement or the party. The only reason she had come was no longer a reason to stay.

Instead she walked home thinking about Alex and the fact that he was planning to go far away at the end of the school year.

Monday morning Alex woke up still groggy from the late night he had . The flight back from California had been later than what he had been expecting and now he had to get up for school.

He was still somewhat surprised that he had been asked to come up for a visit at the last minute. One day he was getting off the plane from Sweden and two days later he was getting back on the plane and heading to the West coast.

Deciding to jump in the shower in hope that it would wake up some more brain cells, Alex thought more about his recent trip.

The weekend away had definitely reaffirmed to him that there was life outside of Roswell and it was so much different. No spying, no running and definitely no aliens or heartache. He had a decision to make and he had a feeling that he had already made it.

Isabel pretended to look through her locker for something when in fact she kept glancing over at Alex’s locker. She had yet to see him all day and she wanted nothing more than just to get a glimpse of him just to make sure he was okay.

She knew he was there at school since Liz and Maria had told the group at lunch that they had spoken to him in their math class. Once Alex had learned about the party he had been very apologetic but had been tight lipped when it came to his trip to California.

Maria had been upset and wanted to go find Alex and make him tell her what was going on. Max and Michael had stopped her by reassuring her that this was Alex. Loyal and trustworthy Alex who would always be there.

Isabel though knew the truth. Yes, he was loyal and trustworthy but so was a dog. Alex was not a dog and he was tired of being treated like one by his friends. Plus, he had been hurt one too many times by her and she knew that one day he would no longer be there.

Finally she saw him at his locker Isabel view some what blocked from all the students leaving the school for the day. Even with the crowd she could see his tall frame above the rest as he opened his locker.

She watched as he paused looking at the pictures on the door. Isabel knew that they were candid pictures of her and it made her smile that he was looking them over. Her smile quickly vanished when he began removing those same pictures and shoving them into the bottom of his book bag.

Isabel realized that he was systematically removing her from his life as well as any mementos he had. Not able to bare seeing him do this she turned and quickly fled the school.

It was days later that Alex and Isabel finally were in the same room together. Sheriff Valenti had called a meeting at his house to warn the teenagers about some government officials that were doing some test near the cave that held the alien’s pods.

Max was fairly certain that no one beside the four of them could find the entrance of the cave but everyone still felt uneasy with the possibility. Michael threw out the idea of going out there and keeping an eye on the situation for a few days.

They had all readily agreed except for Alex who remained quiet and allowed the group to speak. No one noticed except for Isabel who was also quiet.

“If we are going to do this we need to do it in shifts and partner up.” Max said looking over the group.

“We also need a cover story in case we are caught,” Liz pointed out, “So let’s do what we always do and pair off the Alien’s with the humans.”

Alex frowned knowing who exactly he would get paired off with and knew it meant trouble for him.

“Sounds good. Liz is with me. Michael and Maria.” Max looked at the remaining four, “Tess with Kyle and Isabel you are with Alex.”

Isabel nodded but her eyes were on Alex wondering if he would protest or leave. It took him a moment but finally he nodded as well once again proving how loyal he was to the group.

“Let’s draw numbers to see who goes first.” Maria said grabbing a pen and paper. After tearing up four strips and writing the numbers on the she grabbed the sheriffs hat, ‘Humans draw”

Liz drew and read out the number 4 then Maria drew the number 2. Kyle drew the 3 leaving Alex with the number 1.

“Okay let’s get you two some camping equipment.” The Sheriff said before disappearing to the garage.

Alex couldn’t believe his luck tonight. He would be doing two things that he had hoped never to do again. Spy and be alone with Isabel Evans.

After a quick planning session they packed up the jeep with a tent, sleeping bags and cooler of food and drinks before driving away from the Valenti house.

Isabel and Alex did not say a word as they headed into the desert. The silence was due to the fact that neither one of them knew what to say to the other. Once they did arrive at the spot that they could see the cave they only spoke when they needed to. Things such as:

“Let’s put the tent here” “Where are the binoculars?” “Would you like something from the cooler?”

Then they sat by the small fire that Isabel started hoping to keep warm in the cool desert night air. After 10 minutes of quiet she couldn’t take anymore.

“So Alex how was Sweden?”

“It was good.”

“That’s good.” although he answered her his focus was on the night sky, “I’m sorry I didn’t write back. I did get all of your letters and post cards up until about 3 weeks before you returned. Then they just stopped.”

Alex nodded and looked over at her, “That’s because I quit sending them.”

Isabel’s stomach clenched at his words but she nodded in understanding, “I would have responded but so much was happening that I never got around to it.” Even to her it sounded like a flimsy excuse.

Once again Alex nodded and returned to stargazing. He was so quiet for so long that she thought he had forgotten that she was there until he started to speak again.

“I remember the first time I saw you on the school play ground. We were eight years old and I thought you were the prettiest girl I had ever seen. Just being near you made me happy.” he sighed loudly lost in the memory, “Over the years your beauty kept growing and with it so did my feelings for you. But it wasn’t just your outside beauty I saw. I knew there was more to you than what everyone else saw. More than the Ice Princess persona you put on.”

Isabel could feel the tears form in her eyes at his words and she wished she could wrap her arms around him and let him comfort her but she remained there listening to him.

“I was happy to be your friend and then for those 24 hours I was over joyed at being your boyfriend.” Alex ran a hand across the back of his neck massaging the muscles there as he continued looking up, “My trip to Sweden helped me realize something, Isabel.”

His eyes turned to her then, “I now know that we will never be together and that you will always be the unattainable woman that I could have loved.”

She could no longer hold the tears back as they streamed silently down her cheeks. At that moment Isabel realized that she had lost Alex, the only man who knew her totally on the inside and out. She had brought this on herself and she had no one else to blame for her own heartache.

It took her a few moments but finally she said, “Okay. If that’s what you want, Alex.”

He looked her over and almost let himself give in to his real desire. He decided to remain strong and steal himself from her, “What I want and what is best are two different things, Isabel.”

“So you are leaving Roswell when you graduate?”

Alex almost didn’t answer her but decided to let her know, “I’ve been looking at Berkley in California”

“Berkley is a very good school.” she said as she brushed her tears from her cheeks.

“What about you? Where will you be going after graduation?”

Isabel shrugged, “I have looked at a few schools. I have the chance of graduating early but Max has put his foot down on that.”

‘What do you mean?” Alex frowned wondering why she hadn’t jumped at the chance to leave Roswell.

“I mean he put up a fight when he found out and told me that I could not leave. He was adamant that we remain together.”

Alex couldn’t believe Max would be so demanding over his sister and that she would allow him to do so, “Is it really his decision?”

She let out a dry chuckle, “Since he found out that he was the king there hadn’t been much democracy about it.”
Alex looked at her and realized that she had been going through her own personal hell recently. He wished he could draw her into his arms and erase the pain but knew that it would be him who would wind up hurt in the end.

As they sat there starring at each other both heard the sound of something coming toward them. Alex’s eyes met Isabel’s and silently communicated their course of action. He stood up and waved Isabel over to the open sleeping bag for her to slide in and then he followed her.

“Who is it, Alex?” Isabel whispered against his ear as he wrapped his arms around her. Noticing that she was where she wanted to be Isabel wasn’t sure if her heart was pounding so hard because of the footsteps or because she was in his arms.

“Sh.” Alex said before doing what he said he would never do and pressed his lips to hers.

The kiss was supposed to be fake so that the trespasser would think they were just a couple of kids making out in the desert, but soon as their lips touched something seemed to snap inside and they both were drawn in deeper.

Soon they forgot about the sound of footsteps and just concentrated on the sounds that arose from the passions that they were stirring in each other. Thought fled from them as Alex’s hands found the hem of her shirt and slipped under to caress the bare skin of her back. Isabel sighed as his lips wandered down her throat but before they could make contact to her collarbone they both became aware pf the sound of a throat being cleared.

Alex looked up to find a man dressed in army fatigues standing by their camp fire. Both he and Isabel sat up in the sleeping bag, her arms still wrapped tightly around him.

“What are you kids doing out here?” the soldier asked but by the look in his eye Alex knew he already had a pretty good idea.

“My girlfriend and I were looking for some place to be alone.” Alex said glancing around to make sure the guy was alone.

Isabel felt her heart speed up at his words. She really liked it when he called her his girlfriend and right then she decided that she was determined to really be that for him.

“How long you two staying?” The man asked taking in the situation.

“Just tonight.” Alex frowned, “Is something wrong? Why is the military out here?”

Seeing nothing wrong in telling the two high school students the soldier informed them, “Just doing a few maneuvers here in the desert. Since the war in the Middle East the government thought it would be good if we had some desert training.” he shrugged, “We will be out of here in a few days.”

The couple nodded both a lot relieved to find out that the government still had no idea where their pods were. Finally the soldier told them good night and vanished into the desert.

Isabel finally let out the breath she hadn’t known she was holding in, “Do you think he’s gone?” she whispered to him.

Alex held up his hand before crawling out of the sleeping bag and picking up the binoculars. Isabel missed his warmth the minute he left her side, but she stayed in the bag as he used the glasses.

“He is heading back to his camp. I don’t think we’ll be bothered again tonight.”

Isabel nodded and watched him gather more wood and placed it on the fire all the while not looking at her. Before she could say anything he started to speak.

“Um...I’m sorry that the kiss got out of hand, Isabel.” Alex kept his back to her as he stoked the fire.

“I’m not.’ she whispered starring at him.

Alex turned and looked at her with a confused look, “Your not?”

Isabel shook her head and decided to take the plunge knowing that Alex was worth any risk, ‘There are a lot of things I’m sorry for, Alex. The way I have treated you is one of them but I am not sorry for that kiss. It was the most beautiful experience because I could feel how much you still loved me in that kiss.”

Alex didn’t deny her words knowing his love foor her would always be there, ‘I do love you, Isabel. But my love is not enough.”

Isabel climbed out of the sleeping bag, “Don’t I have any say in your decision?”

He watched as she walked over to him and then kneeled on the ground in front on him so that they were eye to eye, “Don’t I get to tell you how I feel? I have been so afraid to say it but I know I can’t let you go without you knowing.”

Isabel took a breath and went for broke, “I love you, Alex Charles Whitman. I have known since that morning I came to your house and kissed you.”

Alex frowned again, ‘You love me?”

She nodded and touched his chin, “I was so afraid to tell you how I felt and let you in. I didn’t want to make any ties with you or the others in case we ever went back home. But somehow you slid beneath my defenses and took my heart.”

“Why now?” he asked quietly.

‘Because I couldn’t stand to lose you and not tell you how I really felt.”

Alex took Isabel’s hand and looked into her eyes seeing the truth there and knowing he could never deny her anything even his love. He pulled her to him and wrapped her in his arms for a long hug.

‘I guess then there is nothing else we can do.” he sighed against her ear.

Isabel pulled back to look at him worriedly. She didn’t understand what he meant so he explained.

‘We are going to love each other for the rest of our lives.” he stated before pressing his lips to her to seal their fate.

Isabel wrapped her arms around him and sighed his name against his lips. She was finally happy. Her home was in the arms of Alex Whitman and she planned to stay there for the next 60 years.

The End
Last edited by KaraGail on Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.