Lucid Absinthe (AU,M/L,MATURE) [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

RosDude
Addicted Roswellian

Lucid Absinthe (AU,M/L,MATURE) [WIP]

Post by RosDude »

Banner made by me.
Title: Lucid Absinthe
Author: Chad
Disclaimer: Roswell does not belong to me. No infringement is intended.
Rating/Category: Mature/ AU without aliens? Who knows?
Summary: Max Evans is an alien…or is he?
Author’s Note: Hey guys. I know I’m supposed to be working on other stuff right now, but this story was born during the two months that I didn’t have a computer. I’ve worked on it here and there on my wife’s computer, and I just couldn’t get it out of my head. But I promise no more sidetracks after this.
Author’s Note 2.0: For those of you that don’t know much about alcohol, the title of this fic comes from a liquor called absinthe that until recently was banned in most Western countries. In the late eighteen hundreds it was thought to supposedly have hallucinogenic effects, and is believed to be what ultimately led to Van Gogh lobbing off his own ear. Lucid just happens to be the name of the absinthe I tried, and I thought it was a fitting title. The story will take place from two POVs, “The Doctor”, and “The Patient”. Essentially both POVs will cover the same situation, but show how it is perceived very differently through two sets of eyes. So in the interest of conveniences, and so that each chapter is not twenty pages long, chapters will be posted in two parts representing the two POVs.

I hope you all N+JOY it.
One — The Doctor
~Monday, August 3, 2009My new patient~

I was seeing a new patient today.

His name was Maxwell Evans. He has been in this hospital since he was a child of nine or ten years old. I would have to check his file again to be completely sure. He was seventeen now—an age I considered to be still very young. Though I was not entirely sure of what type of patient he would be, I assumed he was well adjusted after having been here for such a long period of time. Still, I didn’t rest on that assumption. Even though I hadn’t been working here very long, it had not taken me long to come to the realization that every patient was different.

After having spoken with Maxwell’s previous doctor, Dr. Abernathy, I was under the impression that he believed Maxwell to be a very intelligent boy. The doctor had informed me that Maxwell’s comprehension skills were intact. He was able to accomplish tasks that ranged in complexity from relatively easy, to moderately difficult. He did not throw tantrums. He did not yell, or communicate his frustrations by raising his voice to any tone higher than a temperate speaking level. He was able to respond to questions when asked, though his mind tended to wander easily. He was lucid and capable of engaging back and forth in conversation. He exhibited no indications of any learning disability, and on the contrary, showed signs of possessing an accelerated learning capability.

Based on Dr. Abernathy’s assessment alone, one would not have believed a boy like Maxwell would ever have had a reason to be in a psychiatric hospital. To read of him on paper, the boy seemed completely normal, but to be in his presence was an entirely different situation. Regardless of the way things appeared, there was still one thing about Maxwell that made him different from the other five billion nine hundred ninety nine million nine hundred ninety nine thousand nine hundred ninety nine people on the planet.

Maxwell Evans believed he was an alien.

I had been working at this psychiatric facility for a little over a year, but in that time I had learned a great deal about this boy that believed he was an alien.

According to his file, it had all started when he was a young child, even younger than he had been when he was first admitted here. Unlike other children his age, Maxwell was not active and outgoing. He was a quiet child who spent most of his time in his own company. For the longest time he simply stayed in his room, and in the few times he had ventured outside of it, it was not to play with the other children his age, but to stare up at the sky above him. According to the boy’s family, whenever he was asked what he was doing, he would only answer that he was waiting for his otherworldly family to come and take him home.

Maxwell had only been around the age of five when his family first began worrying about his antisocially peculiar behavior. He didn’t socialize, he barely even spoke, and on top of that, he didn’t seem to do well in the presence of other children his age. But it was not until he started claiming he possessed “otherworldly powers” that his family had him scent away.

Although I had never officially met Maxwell, I had been studying his case for quite a while now. He was one of the longest standing patients we have had to date. According to Dr. Abernathy, his family had never expressed any indication that they wished to consider having him released into their custody, and none of his previous doctors had ever made any recommendation that he be released. Apparently, they deemed that it was more beneficial for him to remain here than it was for him to live among normally functioning human beings.

That was why I was taking over as his doctor.

Unlike all the other doctors that had been assigned to his case, when I looked at him, read about him, or studied him on paper, I didn’t see Maxwell as I saw countless other patients in this hospital. Aside from his delusions that he was a being from another planet, there was still a lucidness about him that suggested there was something more there, and he was not just clinically insane. After first hearing of his case, it had become my number one priority to evaluate him myself. I was not entirely sure what was the driving force behind the idea, but it was my strong belief that Maxwell was capable of living a normal life, if given the opportunity

Today was to be the first of many sessions I intended to have with Maxwell, and if I was correct in my assessment of him, perhaps we would be able to work though his problems together.

When I reached Maxwell’s room I knocked softly on the door twice before entering. I always knocked before entering a patient’s room. I felt it was a common courtesy everyone should be allowed, regardless of what clinical condition they happened to be in. It was also my way of testing the affability of the patient. A reserved patient would not answer at all. A more sociable patient would.

Maxwell did not answer my knock, but his gaze did focus on me as I entered the room—another test that gauged patient awareness. However, it was a bit difficult to determine exactly how aware Maxwell truly was of my presence, as his gaze did not rest on my face, but rather honed in on my feet. For the longest time he stared at my shoes as if they had cast some sort of hypnotic spell over him. I glanced down at my feet and twisted my ankles to and fro, watching for his response to the motion. Surly enough, his eyes followed their every move.

Interesting.

“Hello Maxwell,” I greeted him.

He looked away from my shoes before he answered back. “Hello.” His voice was low and monotone and he spoke with no inflection.

Placing a friendly smile on my face, I walked further into the room. He was sitting across from me on the bed, directly adjacent to the door. His room was neat and cozy, though there appeared to be no personal possessions. I wondered about that. According to his visitor log, Maxwell received one visitor twice a month. A woman named Isabel Evans. I was told she was his sister, although there seemed to be no obvious relation between the two of them. She never stayed long, perhaps half an hour or so at the most, and as was apparent by the state of Maxwell’s room, she neither brought him anything, nor took anything away.

“Max,” my patient suddenly said from nowhere, calling my attention back to him.

“Excuse me?” I asked, confused by this sudden breaking of the silence.

His gaze fell back down to my shoes. “You called me Maxwell. Call me Max. I prefer to be called Max.”

I nodded my head in understanding. Dr. Abernathy was right so far. Based on the tone of his voice as he spoke, as well as the structuring of his sentence, there was nothing about him that suggested incoherence. Other than the strange fascination with my shoes, so far, Maxwell appeared to be perfectly capable of following a conversation. “Very well then, Max. Since we’re getting to know each other a little better, you can call me Dr. Parker,” I told him.

He indicated his understanding with a slight nod of his head. “Why are you here?” he asked me next. But before I could answer his gaze finally focused on mine as he added, “With your yellow shoes.”

I was thrown by the odd tag on his question, but I masked the confusion that formed inside me at his strange words as I looked down at the canary yellow pumps I wore on my feet. “Is there a problem with my shoes, Max?”

He continued looking at me, never breaking eye contact for a moment. “Do they hurt your feet, Dr. Parker?” he asked.

I shook my head. “No they do not.”

“Then why would there be a problem with them?”

I paused for a moment, contemplating the best way to respond to that question. “You’re right, Max. There is no problem.”

He nodded again as his eyes shifted away from mine. “Are you new?” he asked.

“Yes, I’m your new…councilor.” I didn’t like referring to myself as my patient’s doctor. I didn’t like the implication it made that they were “sick”. “I’ll be meeting with you three times a week. Is that alright with you, Max?”

He looked up at the ceiling. “If it wasn’t, would you still come?”

He was being snappy, and there was a touch of sarcasm in his tone, but I didn’t let it get to me. I knew better than to allow myself to be bated “Yes, Max, I would still come,” I answered seriously.

“Do you know what’s wrong with me, Dr. Parker?”

I frowned at that question. “Do you know what’s wrong with you?” I returned.

He looked away from the ceiling and back to me. “Yes, I know. You people won’t let me go home.”

There was something startling about that sentence. I could hear a strange hint as he said those words. His tone was not accusing, but there was something about the way he said it that said a lot more than what he was saying. It was not the answer I was expecting, though I was not surprised by it. If he meant it in a conventional way, it was completely normal for him to feel that we were the ones keeping him here. But there was still something that suggested to me that he meant those words in a different way. “May I sit, Max?” I asked him politely.

He paused for a moment and looked at one of the two chairs that were pushed into a small table beside his bed. He looked at me, then at the chair, then me, then the chair again. “No, you should stand,” he said.

“May I ask why?”

He continued looking at the chair. “It doesn’t matter,” he repeated.

“Very well then,” I said. We would explore the chair situation later. Right now I had more important questions I wanted to ask him. “Do you mind if I ask you some questions?”

He didn’t look away from the chair as he answered me. “You’ve asked me questions already. ‘Is there a problem with my shoes, Max?’ ‘Is that alright Max?’ ‘Do you know what’s wrong with you?’ ‘May I sit Max?’ ‘May I ask why?’ ‘Do you mind if I ask you some questions?’ Six. You’ve asked me six questions.”

I smiled, impressed, and a bit put off that he was able to remember and recite every question I’d asked him since I had entered the room. He was obviously a very bright boy. “Well then, since we’ve established that I’m a bit of a motor mouth, I think I will take a seat anyway,” I said, reaching for the chair closet to me.

He did not respond.

When he did not make any further protests about me sitting, I pulled my chair closer to his bed and took a seat. “Forgive me, but I’m afraid I have a few more questions for you.”

“What’s your name?” he asked suddenly.

“I already told you, you can call me Dr. Park—”

“Not that, I mean your real name. Your first name. The name your parents’ gave you.”

I didn’t answer his question right away. With some patients, revealing something as personal as a first name could be potentially dangerous. However, I didn’t see that there was any danger with Max. Still, I knew better than to make assumptions. “Why do you want to know my name?” I asked him instead.

“You know mine. It’s not fair that I only get half of yours.”

“Would it make you any more or less comfortable with me if you knew my first name?”

“Not really,” he answered but there was something about the way he said it that seemed like he was not being entirely truthful.

“Did you know your pervious councilors by their first names?” I asked, though I seriously doubted it. Dr. Abernathy did not seem the type that would reveal personal information, even something as small as a name, to his patient.

“You mean the man with the little glasses, and the ones before him,” Max said.

I nodded.

He shook his head at me. “They were doctors. I called them Doctor. They called me Maxwell.”

“Then why do you feel you should know my first name?”

I watched closely as he looked away from the chair to the pillow on his bed. “You called me Max when I asked you to. You said you’re my councilor. Does that mean you only want to council me?”

“Do you think I could council you?”

He groaned and finally looked back at me. “I think you ask a lot of questions, just like the others. I think you think I’m crazy, just like the others, and I think ‘council’ is a euphemism for ‘help’”

I had to give it to him, he wasn’t going to be easy to deal with. His guard was up and he was hesitant to trust me, but that didn’t mean he did not need my help. “I don’t think there’s anything wrong with getting a little help every now and then. It can be good to get a helping hand when you need one.”

“A helping hand,” he repeated, seemly speaking more to himself than he was to me. “You think you can help me,” he said in a stern tone.

He had not voiced it as a question, but I answered anyway. “I would like to try.”

Max watched me silently with evaluating eyes before he pushed himself to the edge of the bed. “Do you really want to help me?” There was a definite touch of skepticism in his tone, but I was happy that he now seemed to trust me a little.

I didn’t hesitate in my answer. “I really do, Max.”

He stared at me again, this time for a longer than he had before. His eyes darted across from left to right quickly as if he were reading words on the page of a book. Sometimes, when looking into the eyes of my patients, there was a ‘not all there’ sort of look in their eyes. However, I saw nothing like that in the deeply examining eyes that stared into mine.

“O…kay,” he said hesitantly.

I smiled. “Okay,” I echoed him. “Then let’s start with some simple questions.”

“Okay,” he said again as he looked away from me. It wasn’t total assurance, but it was a start.

“Do you know how old you are, Max?” I asked him.

Before answering me, he scooted back on the bed and folded his legs underneath him. “I was ten years old when they brought me here. It has been four-hundred fifty-two days since the third time I lost count of how long I’ve been here.”

“Really?” I enquired, fascinated by that bit of information. I took a glance around the room in search of a clock, but there was none. There were no windows in Max’s room, so there was no way to determine what time of day it was without the aid of a clock. Max didn’t even have a calendar in his room. “How have you been keeping track of how long you’ve been here?” I asked curiously.

“In my head,” he answered, as if it were the simplest method to keep track of something.

Very intriguing. “And do you keep track of a lot of things in your head?”

Once again, he stared at me for a long time before he answered. “I don’t have a calendar. I don’t have a clock. They won’t give me pencils or paper. My head is the only place I am able to keep track of things.”

“Would you like me to get some of those things for you? A calendar or a clock?”

He shook his head no. “If I had those things there would be no reason to keep track of the time that passes.”

I couldn’t say why, but for some reason his answer made me want to smile. “Would you like me to tell you how old you are?” I asked.

He shrugged. “If you’d like.”

“You’re seventeen years old, Max.” I waited to see if that revelation would invoke any response in him. It didn’t. “Do you know what that means?” I followed up.

He looked up at the ceiling again. “It means I’ve been here for two thousand five hundred fifty-five days,” he said. “Give or take a week or so.”

Another fascinating answer. It seemed Max was quiet good with numbers. “Tell me more about your time tracking. How do you judge when one day ends and another begins?” I asked.

Max looked away from the ceiling and back down to my shoes. A frown took shape on his face before he answered. “Each day starts with breakfast,” he said, then his eyes shifted to his own bare feet.

His feet.

My shoes.

The ceiling.

My face.

All throughout our conversation his gaze remained fixated on those places. I would have assumed he lacked concentration, but his gaze remained steely on those things in particular, and when he locked on one he was completely focused on it. “What are you looking at, Max?” I finally asked.

He continued to frown down at his feet, but instead of answering my question, he asked one of his own. “How old are you?”

I laughed at that question. “A lot older than you.”

He looked back at me and his eyes seemed to study my face. “You don’t look it.”

“Well thank you,” I said. But at twenty-nine, I was more than a decade older than him. Rather than go into all of that, I opted for a subject change. “Are you going to tell me what you’re looking at?”

He looked away from me, this time to his hands which he had resting in his lap. “Everything,” he said.

“Everything?” I repeated.

“Everything I can see.” He looked back up at me. “And things you can’t.”

Now we were getting somewhere. “Things I can’t?” I asked.

He shrugged.

“What kind of things?”

“You wouldn’t understand, even if I explained them to you. People don’t understand what they can’t see. That’s why I’m here.”

I took a second to stew on Max’s words. For the most part, he was right. One of the core reactions in people was to label the things they didn’t understand as insane, or abnormal. It was not impossible that Max could have been correct with his take of his situation.

But still…

“Max, I want to ask you some more personal questions,” I said.

“Go ahead.”

I cleared my throat and shifted straighter in my chair. “How old were you when you first began thinking that you were different.”

“Different,” he repeated in the same inflectionless tone he’d greeted me with when I’d first come in.

“That you were an alien,” I elaborated.

“I always knew,” he answered.

“How did you know?”

He was silent for a long time, and for a moment I wondered if he was going to answer. When he did speak again, it was not to answer my question.

“Have you ever wondered what colors really look like?” he asked.

I frowned. “I’m not sure I know what you mean.”

Slowly, he began tapping his fingers against his folded knees. “I know what colors look like to me. I know red is red and blue is blue. But how do I know what blue really looks like? Is it the same thing you see when you look at blue? Or are you seeing what I see as another color?”

“Max I don’t think—”

“I’m a different color than human being,” he continued, and for the first time I noticed a far off look on his face as he gazed into my eyes. “I’m not…your blue.”

I let his words sink in, trying to work out in my head what he was saying to me. “You feel like you’re different from everyone around you,” I said.

“Don’t you?” he asked.

I didn’t answer that. “It’s a perfectly normal feeling to have, Max. No two people are exactly alike. It doesn’t mean you’re not human,” I explained.

“It’s more than a feeling,” he said.

“Tell me,” I coaxed.

He shook his head. “I can’t.”

“Why not?” I asked.

Slowly, the corners of his mouth turned up into a smile. “You’d have to be my blue to understand.” He smiled. It was the first time I’d seen him do so, and the sight was…haunting.

“Then let’s pretend that I’m your blue,” I said. I wanted him to keep talking. I wanted to understand what he was trying to say to me.

His smile went away. “I can’t pretend. You’re not my blue.”

“Okay then,” I started, attempting a different approach “Have you ever come across someone that was your blue?”

Max stopped tapping his knees and unfolded his legs. “You mean someone like me?”

“Yes,” I nodded. “Have you ever met anyone else that you thought was like you?”

He looked down at the bed. “Two thousand five hundred fifty five days,” he said. “That’s how long I’ve been here.”

“Yes,” I nodded, waiting for him to go on.

“In all that time I’ve never met a person like me,” he said.

“And what about your sister?” I asked. Is she not like you?”

Max froze ramrod stiff, as if my words had suddenly triggered something inside of him that he did not want to be triggered. He looked at me with large eyes that for a moment seemed as if they were going to tear up.

“You should go,” he said in a very low, almost inaudible tone.

“Max, did I say something that upset you?”

He shook his head. “Please leave,” he said, looking away from me.

In that slight second, and with nothing more than the turning of his head, everything about the Max I had been speaking to was gone, and what remained was a boy I did not recognize. Max sat there, stiff as a board, not moving or speaking, barely even showing any indication that he was breathing. I didn’t know exactly what about what I had said had triggered this reaction, but I could see that attempting any further progress with him right now would be useless.

I stood up from my chair and pushed it back into the table. “Alright Max, we can stop for today if that’s what you want,” I said, speaking in a soothing tone. “But is it alright if I come back tomorrow?”

Without looking at me, Max nodded his head.

“Okay,” I said, walking towards the door. “Then I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Once again he nodded inaudibly.

Standing at the door I watched Max silently, trying to determine what had caused this drastic change in him. Touching a hand to the side pocket of my coat, I felt for the tape recorded that had been recording every word of the conversation I’d had with Max. Still Max made no indication that he ever registered my presence in his room. With one final glance at him, I left the room.

Stepping out into the hallway, I closed Max’s door behind me and entered the lock code on the door, then headed down the hall. Halfway to the elevator I reached inside of the pocket on my coat and took out a small recorder and pressed the stop button.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last edited by RosDude on Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:20 pm, edited 7 times in total.
RosDude
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lucid Absinthe (M/L AU/Mature) One

Post by RosDude »

One – The Patient
~452 days since the third time he lost countHis new doctor~

One two.

There is a knock on his door. He is surprised. No one ever knocks. They barge in at all hours of the day. They sit down. They ask questions. They watch him. They ask questions. They leave…they’ll be back later to ask more questions.

But they never knock.

She walks into his room. The sound of her shoes clicking against the floor draws his eyes to her feet.

Her shoes are yellow.

He decides he does not like the color yellow. It’s not a color that is pleasant to look at. Everything should be black and white. Colorless things are much easier to look at. His room is white. His bed is white…sheets black…black…He does not like colors. They hurt his eyes. This woman has yellow shoes.

He does not like them. They should be black.

She speaks to him. She says hello.

Say hello.

He says hello. She has a nice voice. It’s calm. It’s sweet. It’s nothing like the other doctors that have come before her. Her face is pretty. Her hair is dark like his.

Everything should be black and white.

From the moment she steps into the room he knows who she is. He wants to know why she’s here. He wants to know what she thinks of him.

He doesn’t care.

He’ll be kind. He’ll be polite.

She’ll think he’s crazy.

They all thing he’s crazy.

She calls him Maxwell.

“Max,” he says. His name is Max. She should know that.

“Excuse me?” she says.

He likes Max, he explains, catching sight of her shoes again.

They’re so yellow.

She says something. She’s introducing herself. She’s Dr. Parker. He doesn’t care. He wants to know why she’s here.

“Why are you here?” he asks.

Why are her shoes so yellow?

He looks up at her. “With your yellow shoes.”

Did he say that?

She looks down at her own feet. She looks at him. “Is there a problem with my shoes, Max?”

He doesn’t know.

Say something smart.

He asks her if they hurt her feet.

She says they don’t.

There’s no problem.

Except that they’re yellow.

He looks away from her. He wants to ask her a question. He wants to know why she’s here.

Ask her who she is.

He looks away from her. “Are you new?”

“Yes, I’m your new…councilor,” she says.

Councilor…councilor? Why not doctor? She looks like a doctor. Is she lying? Is she telling the truth? She looks like a doctor.

“I’ll be meeting with you three times a week. Is that alright with you, Max?”

Her words float up to the ceiling. He follows them with his eyes. Why does she ask his permission? If he said know would that stop her?

He asks her.

She says it wouldn’t.

Is she lying?

Her words touch the ceiling.

Ask her a question.

He asks her a question.

“Do you know what’s wrong with me?”

She frowns. “Do you know what’s wrong with you?”

He looks at her. He knows what’s wrong with him. But he can’t tell her. There’s no point. She won’t listen. She won’t understand. She won’t let him go home.

“Yes, I know. You people won’t let me go home.”

Did he say that?

She studies him for a moment. She thinks he’s crazy. They all think he is crazy. They don’t understand. If they would listen they would know. It would make sense. He doesn’t belong here. This isn’t his home. If only they would listen.

But they never listen.

She asks him if she can sit.

He looks at the chair. That’s where the other doctors sit. It’s where they ask their questions. It’s where they watch him. It’s where they think he’s crazy. She would think he is crazy too. He does not want her to sit.

Tell her to stand.

“No, you should stand,” he says.

She asks why.

She’ll ask questions. She’ll watch him. She’ll think he’s crazy. It doesn’t matter. She already does.

“It doesn’t matter.”

She’s watching him.

“Do you mind if I ask you some questions?”

Asking him questions. Lots of questions.

Count them. Repeat them.

“You’ve asked me questions already. ‘Is there a problem with my shoes, Max?’ ‘Is that alright Max?’ ‘Do you know what’s wrong with you?’ ‘May I sit Max?’ ‘May I ask why?’ ‘Do you mind if I ask you some questions?’ Six. You’ve asked me six questions.”

She smiles at him, then sits anyway.

Damn. She sat.

“Forgive me but I’m afraid I have a few more questions for you,” she says.

She pulls her chair closer to him. That’s new. No one has ever done that before. And when she smiles, he likes it. Maybe she can sit. Maybe they can talk. Maybe she can understand.

Ask her her name.

“What’s your name?” he asks

She starts to answer. She doesn’t understand. He means her real name.

“Not that, I mean your real name. Your first name. The name your parents’ gave you.”

She asks him why he wants to know.

Because she’s nice. Because she smiles at him.

Don’t tell her that!

“You know mine. It’s not fair that I only get half of yours.”

That’s good.

“Would it make you any more comfortable with me if you knew my first name?”

Yes, more comfortable.

Don’t say that!

“Not really,” he lies.

She asks him if he knows his other councilors’ names. He doesn’t have any other councilors.

“You mean the man with the little glasses, and the ones before him.”

She nods.

She doesn’t understand. They were doctors. They didn’t care if he knew their names.

“They were doctors. I called them Doctor. They called me Maxwell.”

He didn’t care if they knew his name.

“Then why do you feel you should know my first name?”

He looks at the pillow on his bed. He doesn’t want to look at her. He doesn’t want her to treat him like the other doctors. “You called me Max when I asked you to. You said you’re my councilor. Does that mean you only want to council me?”

“Do you think I could council you?”

Another question. Just like the doctors.

He groans “I think you ask a lot of questions, just like the others. I think you think I’m crazy, just like the others, and I think ‘council’ is a euphemism for ‘help’”

That’s what they said. They wanted to ‘help’ him. All the doctors just wanted to help him.

She admits it. She wants to give him a helping hand.

“A helping hand,” he repeats. “You think you can help me.”

Does she not think he is crazy?

“I would like to try.”

He does not know what to do. Is she lying? He cannot tell, but her eyes will tell. He scoots closer to her. “Do you really want to help me?” he asks her.

Just watch, her eyes will tell.

“I really do, Max.” she says.

Her eyes don’t lie.

He watches her some more. He doesn’t want her to be lying. She doesn’t look like she is lying. Maybe she isn’t lying.

“O…kay,” he says.

She smiles again. “Okay,” she says.

He likes it when she smiles. Then she wants to ask him more questions. He doesn’t like that, but agrees anyway.

“Do you know how old you are, Max?” she asks.

How old he was? He doesn’t know exactly. How old is he?

Four-hundred fifty-two days since the third time he lost count.

He knew that. He told her so.

She seems surprised. She looks around the room. “How have you been keeping track of how long you’ve been here?”

More questions. But he likes her now. He’ll answer them. “In my head.”

More questions. She wants to know how he keeps stuff in his head. He stares at her. She likes asking questions. Does she think he’s crazy?

Answer her.

“I don’t have a calendar. I don’t have a clock. They won’t give me pencils or paper. My head is the only place I am able to keep track of things.”

She asks him if he wants those things. A calendar. A clock.

No! Keep them in your head.

He tells her no. He’ll keep them in his head.

“Would you like me to tell you how old you are?” she asks.

How old is he? He wants to know.

He cannot tell her he wants to know. He’ll make her think he doesn’t care.

He shrugs “If you’d like.”

That’s good.

She tells him.

He’s seventeen.

Seventeen? How many days is seventeen?

“Do you know what that means?”

Her words float up to the sky again. He follows them once more with his eyes.

How many days is seventeen?

“It means I’ve been here for two thousand five hundred fifty-five days,” he says.

Plus some.

“Give or take a week or so.”

She wants to know more about his mind. She wants to know about the numbers. He looks down at the floor and catches sight of her shoes. Her yellow shoes. He frowns.

Answer the question.

“Each day starts with breakfast,”

Breakfast. Eggs. Yellow. Her shoes. Yellow.

Look away.

He looks at his own feet. They aren’t yellow. They’re fine.

She notices. “What are you looking at, Max?”

Don’t answer! Don’t look!

Ask a question.

“How old are you?”

Good question.

She laughs. It’s a pretty sound. He likes it. “A lot older than you.”

He looks into her pretty face, where the pretty sound came from. “You don’t look it.”

She thanks him, then asks what he is looking at again.

No!

He looks away.

What if he tells her? He can talk to her. She listens to him. She’s nice. She said she wants to help him. Maybe he should tell her. Maybe she will help him.

He doesn’t know how to tell her.

One word. Just one word.

“Everything,” he says. That’s the word.

She echoes him.

“Everything?”

“Everything I can see.” He looks back up at her. She does not understand. He’s the only one that can understand. “And things you can’t.”

But she tries. He does not understand. Why does she try?

“Things I can’t?” she asks.

He shrugs again.

“What kind of things?”

She won’t understand. She doesn’t understand that she won’t understand.

But still…

Try. Make her understand.

“You wouldn’t understand, even if I explained them to you. People don’t understand what they can’t see. That’s why I’m here.”

She’s quiet for a long time. Maybe she’s thinking. Maybe now she understands.

“Max, I want to ask you some more personal questions.”

Maybe not.

Let her ask her questions.

“Go ahead.”

She clears her throat and sits up straighter in her chair. I she nervous? Does he make her nervous? He wonders. She was not nervous before.

“How old were you when you first began thinking that you were different.”

“Different,” he repeats. That was the words the doctors used too. Different. He hates that word.

“That you were an alien,” she rephrases.

Does she know?

Does it matter?

“I always knew,” he answers. It is the best explanation he can give.

“How did you know?”

He can explain it. Will she understand? He wants her to, but no one has ever understood before. No one has ever wanted to.

But no one has ever asked.

“Have you ever wondered what colors really look like?” he asks.

Did he say that?

She tells him she does not know what he means.

Think. How can he explain it? How can he make her understand? He taps his fingers on his knees. There has to be a way. What is it like? It is like…colors.

“I know what colors look like to me. I know red is red and blue is blue. But how do I know what blue really looks like? Is it the same thing you see when you look at blue? Or are you seeing what I see as another color?”

Everything should be black and white. If there were no colors, he wouldn’t be different. If there were no colors, he wouldn’t be here.

“Max I don’t think—”

“I’m a different color than human being,” Not black and white. Not the colors she sees. “I’m not…your blue.”

She’s quiet again. Still thinking he is crazy. They always think he’s crazy. But he doesn’t want her to think he’s crazy.

She speaks. “You feel like you’re different from everyone around you.”

Yes. A different color.

Don’t say that.

“Don’t you?” he asks.

“It’s a perfectly normal feeling to have, Max. No two people are exactly alike. It doesn’t mean you’re not human,” she says.

How clinical.

She is a doctor.

“It’s more than a feeling,” he says.

Why bother? She won’t understand.

“Tell me,” she says.

But she wants to! Keep going.

He shakes his head. He can’t.

“I can’t.”

She wants to know why not.

Because, she’s not his blue. She was…yellow. He smiles. “You’d have to be my blue to understand.”

She looks at him. She studies him. He doesn’t like it.

“Then let’s pretend that I’m your blue,” she says.

He stops smiling. She wants to pretend—to pretend to understand—to pretend to be his blue—to pretend to be his friend. “I can’t pretend. You’re not my blue.”

“Okay then,” she says.

She won’t pretend. She’ll ask more questions.

“Have you ever come across someone that was your blue?” she asks.

He stops tapping. “You mean someone like me?” Someone that was his blue?

“Yes,” she nods. “Have you ever met anyone else that you thought was like you?”

He looks down at his bed. How long has he been here?. “Two thousand five hundred fifty five days,” he says. “That’s how long I’ve been here.”

“Yes,” she says to him.

“In all that time I’ve never met a person like me,” he tells her.

“And what about your sister?” she asks. “Is she not like you?”

He freezes.

His sister.

No, don’t talk about her!

He does not want to talk about her. It’s her fault that he’s here. It’s her fault that they all think he’s crazy. She does not understand who he is. She does not want to understand. She does not even try.

She will want to talk about her.

No. He doesn’t want to talk about her.

Get her out.

“You should go,” he says.

He has to get her out.

“Max, did I say something that upset you?” she asks.

He shakes his head.

Get her out.

“Please leave.”

Please get out.

If she leaves she won’t know. He won’t have to talk about his sister, and she won’t know.

Please get out.

He looks away from her. He can’t look at her. Not if she wants to ask him questions about his sister. Not if she wants to know about her.

She stands up. “Alright Max, we can stop for today if that’s what you want, but is it alright if I come back tomorrow?”

Tell her yes. Tell her anything Make her go.

He nods his head.

Don’t look at her.

“Okay,” she says. She’s walking towards the door.

Good. She’s leaving.

“Then I’ll see you tomorrow.”

He nods.

She stands there at his door. She’s looking at him.

Oh no, is she not leaving? Is she going to stay? Is she going to ask him?

Please leave!

Finally, she does.
TBC
RosDude
Addicted Roswellian

Lucid Absinthe (M/L AU/Mature) Two - 9/25/09

Post by RosDude »

chanks_girl
nibbles2
keepsmiling7
Heavenli24
Drogyn
April
Alien_Friend
Rowedog
abbs007
begonia9508
Natalie36
destinyc
Evelynn
CandyDreamQueen
garcia88

Thanks for reading.

Hey guys. What’s up?

So at long last here is chapter two...or three and four…whatever. Sorry it took so long. I actually had plans to get this out a lot sooner, but as some of you already know, my son was born a few days ago, so I’ve been really behind on a lot of things I planned to do. For the past few days my life has consisted mainly of sleeping. But enough explanations excuses. Here’s the next chapter.

Hope you N+Joy. I’m going back to sleep.

~Chad~

Two — The Doctor

~Tuesday, August 4, 2009My new friend~

If I were asked to evaluate the sanity of Max Evans on a scale from one to ten, I don’t believe I would be able to find a place for him anywhere on that scale. With Max, it was not simply a question of sanity or insanity. He was just as he claimed—different, only not so much in the way that he claimed to be. Albeit he was surprisingly different than I’d imagined he would be. In fact, there were several things in particular that stuck out to me about him. Without a doubt, he possessed a contemplative nature, and apparent intelligence unlike any patient I’d dealt with before. But aside from that, there was still an air of innocence about him, coupled with a sense of naïveté that said he didn’t know much about anything outside of his own world. Which when I examined more closely, wasn’t an entirely surprising discovery.

For the substantial growth part of his life, the only home he’d known had been the inner walls of this building. In the span of these past seven years he was more accustomed to being surrounded by doctors and nurses than by friends and family, and had never really had the chance to “grow up” in a traditional sense. It would be a perfectly logical probability that Max retained more of the qualities and outlooks of a child than those of a teenager his age.

After returning to my office from my first meeting with him, I’d listened to our session several times, and reviewed everything that had been said very carefully. From what I was able to determine, Max was a smart kid who possessed a mind that lived in a world where he felt like a stranger to the people that lived alongside him. It seemed logical that the core feeling of being a stranger to those around him translated to Max as being a stranger to this world entirely, and manifested itself as his belief that he was an alien. Having come to that conclusion, it was now my objective to discover what it was about Max’s childhood that had caused him to feel as if he didn’t belong to this world.

It was around two in the afternoon when I returned to Max’s room the next day. Just as I had the previous day, I knocked on the door to signal my arrival before entering his room. Once again my knock was answered by silence. Even so, when I entered the room, right away I could see that the Max who I walked in on today was different from the Max who had insisted so strongly that I leave him yesterday. Just as he had been during our previous session, Max was sitting up in his bed with his feet tucked underneath him. Unlike yesterday, he made eye contact with me as soon as I entered the room. Although he had not answered my knock or invited me to enter his room, he seemed alert and somewhat impatient, almost as if he had been waiting for my arrival.

“You came back,” he said quietly. Judging from the still tone of his voice, I could not tell if that pleased or disappointed him.

“Yes, I did.” I answered, still trying to get a read on his mood.

Max looked over at the table and chairs at the side of his bed. I noticed one of the chairs was turned away from the table to face the bed. “You can sit…if you’d like,” he offered.

“Thank you, Max,” I said, taking my seat in front of him. It seemed he had intentionally sat the chair this way in preparation for my visit today. I took that as a good sign, or at least a sign that he had no intentions of shying away from me today as he had yesterday.

Just as that though crossed my mind, Max’s gaze fell away from mine. “You want to ask me more questions today don’t you,” he said.

I smiled at him, speaking as reassuringly as I possibly could. “I was hoping that the two of us could just have a conversation.” Another thing that I had gotten from our previous session was that Max did not like being questioned. I would need to form a different approach if I wanted to get him to truly open up to me.

“A conversation,” he repeated.

“That’s right,” I said.

“What…kind of conversation?”

“Just a normal conversation. I want the two of us to get to know each other a little better.”

Max’s eyes shifted back to me and locked on mine in an examining glare. “You want to see how crazy I am,” he said. His tone was filled with the bitter bite of accusation.

I shook my head, quick to rid him of that notion. “No, Max. I want to get to know you. I want you to get to know me, and I want us to be comfortable talking to one another.” The more comfortable Max was with me, the easier it would be to get him to open up more about his life.

“I…” he paused, like he didn’t know what to say—something I noticed he seemed to do a lot, then started again. “I’m not crazy.”

“I know that Max,” I said.

His eyes widened, transforming his face to a look that said he was surprised by my answer, but that he was hesitant to believe me. “You don’t…think I’m crazy?”

I shook my head. I thought Max was a lot of things. I thought he was a sensitive boy who was perhaps a bit confused about who he really was, and where he belonged in this world, but I did not believe that he was crazy. “No Max, I don’t think you’re crazy.”

The look of surprise was replaced with a look of confusion. From it I could see that he didn’t really know how to react to what I had just said. It was more than likely that I was the first person here to have ever spoken those words to him.

“Are you…lying to me?” He shook his head fiercely as he let out a sigh of frustration. “I can’t tell if you’re telling me the truth or not.”

“I’m telling you the truth, Max. I would never lie to you.”

Those words lingered in the air between the two of us. I watched Max closely as he took the time to determine whether or not he could believe me. I didn’t say a word. This was obviously something he needed to come to on his own.

“Alright,” he said quietly after what seemed like almost an eternity.

I smiled at him, letting him know that his acceptance pleased me. “Great. Then there’s something I want to tell you, Max.”

“Not ask me?”

I shook my head. “No, not ask you.”

“What?”

“I want the two of us to be friends.”

“Friends,” he repeated.

I nodded. “Yes, friends. Wouldn’t you like for us to be friends?”

He looked away from me, down to the pillow on his bed. “I don’t know. I guess I would. What kind of friend would you be?”

“Hopefully I would be the kind of friend you can talk to,” I said.

“You want me to talk to you,” he repeated.

I nodded again. “I would like that.”

He was quiet and I could not help but wonder what he was thinking. Would Max be able to open up to me? I had to believe that he would.

“Will you ask me questions?” he asked.

I frowned. “You don’t like it when I ask you questions.”

He shook his head. “It feels like you’re trying to see inside of my head. I don’t want you to see in there.”

The urge to ask why was burning inside of me, but I didn’t know if it was a question I could get him to answer. So I opted for an indirect question. “You believe that it’s different inside of your head than it is out here.”

“It is different. I’m different,” he said, and it was clear that he truly believed that.

“Tell me how it’s different.”

He shook his head. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

I definitely wanted to know more about this, but I wouldn’t push him. So I backed off for now. “Okay Max, Then what would you like to talk about instead?”

That question appeared to throw him. “I would like to talk about…” He looked around the room as if there were some hidden topic he was searching for.

“Let’s just talk about your day,” I suggested.

“My day?” he asked.

“Yes,” I said. “Just take me through your day.”

“My normal day,” he said. It was apparent that he was speaking more to himself than he was to me. “Well, I wake up when Tim comes.” he said.

“And who’s Tim?” I asked.

“The guy who brings me my food,” he answered obviously.

I laughed. “Okay. So Tim brings you your food in the morning. That’s how you mark the start of your day right?”

He nodded.

“And after you eat your food…” I waited for him to continue.

“I don’t know,” he shrugged. “Sometimes I walk.”

I looked around the small room. There wasn’t really a lot of room to move around here.

“Not here,” Max said.

“Not here?” I asked.

“No. I walk on the beach,” he answered.

“The…beach?” Was he being sarcastic?

“The beach back home,” he explained, his voice rising se with his excitement. “It’s the most beautiful place. The sand is black, and it’s so light. Holding it is kind of like trying to hold air in the palm of your hand. It slips right through your fingers. And the water is white…like milk. No colors. But it’s more than that…it’s…”

“Go on,” I urged when he suddenly stopped speaking.

“I don’t know,” he said. “It makes me happy.”

“This beach is home to you,” I said. It was obvious that the beach Max was speaking of was not a real beach, but a place he had created in his own head. A place where everything was black and white.

Without looking at me he nodded his head. “Yes.”

“And when you say home you mean…?”

“My planet,” he finished.

Just as I assumed. “How do you get to this beach if it’s on your planet?”

“My planet’s not so far away,” he said. “I can go there anytime I like.”

“You can?” I asked.

He looked at me, then tilted his head quizzically. “You…don’t believe me?”

“That’s not it,” I said. “I would just like to know more about it.”

He shook his head, the spark leaving his eyes. “No. You don’t believe me,” he said, obviously getting upset. “You do think I’m crazy.”

“Max, I think you need to calm down,” I tried to sooth him.

“You don’t want to be my friend,” he said.

“Max—”

“You…you’re a liar.” He squeezed his hands together into two tight first. “Just like her…just like…” He closed his eyes.

Just like who? I wondered. “Max,” I tried reaching him. “I’m not lying to you. I do want us to be friends.” What had I said that had caused him to doubt me so strongly?

His eyes remained closed. “You can leave,” he said, squeezing his eyes tight. “You can go—you can just go to hell.”

This was not good. Max was shutting himself off from me, and I needed to draw him back. “Max, please listen to me. I’m not lying to you. I promise.”

I got no response.

“Fine Max,” I said. “You don’t have to talk to me. But I won’t leave you. I’ll sit here, and I’ll be quiet if you want, but I won’t leave you.”

The two of us sat there in silence, neither speaking. Max didn’t move a muscle or even open his eyes. I crossed my legs and folded my arms, determined to wait him out.

After almost five minutes of complete silence from the two of us, I decided that I’d had enough of this. Max wasn’t talking and the silence was getting us nowhere. If I wanted to get to him I would have to try something different. But just as I was going to rise from my seat, I saw that one of Max’s eyes had opened and he was watching me.

“Why?” he finally spoke very quietly.

“Why what?” I asked.

“Why are you still here? Why didn’t you leave?”

I smiled at him, hoping to ease away whatever anger remained in him. “Because, we’re friends,” I said.

The other eyes started to open. “No, we’re not,” he said harshly.

I shrugged. “Okay, we’re not friends,” I said. “But I would like for us to be.”

He didn’t respond, but he seemed calmer now.

“Why do you care if we’re friends or not? Why do you want to be friends with me?” Again there was the obvious doubt in his voice.

“Well, do I really need a reason to be your friend?” I asked.

Both of his eyes were wide open now. “I don’t know. I’ve never had a friend.”

“Well I don’t think we need a reason to be friends, Max,” I said.

“And I guess you would know,” he said sort of under his breath.

I laughed at his cheek. “Yes I would,” I said, holding my hand out to him. “So, can we be friends?”

First he peered at my hand strangely, like he feared it would jump out and bite him, but after a brief moment of hesitation, he took it. “Yes,” he said, slowly touching his fingers to mine. “We can be friends.”

Even as I held his hand I knew I was still far from having Max’s total trust. However, for the moment, I considered this to be a great accomplishment. Even if Max was not ready to lay everything out to me, it seemed I was one step closer to truly figuring out who Max Evans was, and more importantly, why he was that person.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last edited by RosDude on Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RosDude
Addicted Roswellian

Lucid Absinthe (M/L AU/Mature) Two - 9/22/09

Post by RosDude »

Two – The Patient

~1 day since she cameHis first friend~

He cannot tell how long it has been since she went away. He has done nothing but think of her since she’s been gone. He does not know how long that has been. He wonders if she will come back. She told him that she would.

Maybe she lied.

She does not seem the type of person that would lie. He knows that. She seems honest.

An honest liar.

He is good at figuring out when people are lying to him. He has seen a lot of lies in his life. He knows very well what they look like.

She may be a liar.

He still wants to see her. He does not know why. She makes him happy. He does not know why. She makes him calm. He does not know why.

She will be back.

He gets off of the bed and walks over to the table. He pulls out the chair and sits it in front of his bed. It is the same chair she sat in yesterday.

For when she comes.

If she comes.

She will come.

He wants to believe she will.

He wants to believe.

He sits back down. He needs to think. If she comes, what will she say to him? What should he say to her?

If she comes she will ask more questions.

He knows that. It is her job to ask.

It is her job?

He does not want to be her job.

Then what?

He wants to be her…what’s the word? Maybe he’ll know when she comes.

Anyway, he can avoid the questions. He is good at doing that. The other doctors like to ask questions. He is good at not answering them. Answering questions is bad. His doctors don’t like his answers. His answers only make the doctors think he’s crazy. His doctors don’t like to hear the truth.

He hears a sound outside of his door.

Is it her?

Someone knocks on the door.

It is her.

He waits for her to come in. He knows she will come in. He can’t wait to see her.

Why?

He doesn’t know. He’s just glad she is here.

She walks into the room.

“You came back,” he says.

“Yes, I did,” she answers.

He looks over at the chair he pulled out for her.

Offer her a seat.

He offers her a seat.

“Thank you, Max,” she says as she takes her seat. She’s looking at him strangely. What is she thinking? He would like to know.

Don’t look at her.

He looks away from her.

She’s thinking that she wants to ask more questions. She thinking that she wants to know more about him. She’s thinking that he’s crazy. She’s thinking that he needs help. She’s thinking that she can help him

Stop it!

What was the first one? “You want to ask me more questions today don’t you,” he asks.

That was it.

She smiles. He still likes her smile. She says she wants to have a conversation with him. He does not know what that means. Does that mean she wants to ask more questions? He does not know. He asks her what kind of conversation she wants to have with him.

“Just a normal conversation. I want the two of us to get to know each other a little better.”

That’s not it. What was the third one? “You want to see how crazy I am,” he says. That’s what everyone wants to know.

She denies it. “No, Max. I want to get to know you. I want you to get to know me, and I want us to be comfortable talking to one another.”

He wants to believe it.

“I…”

Don’t believe her!

“I’m not crazy.”

She won’t believe that.

She believes it.

His eyes widen. She believes it? “You don’t…think I’m crazy?”

She shakes her head. “No Max, I don’t think you’re crazy.”

He wants to know if she’s lying. He needs to know if she’s lying. He looks at her. He can’t tell.

Ask her.

“Are you…lying to me?” he asks. He still can’t tell. Why can’t he tell? “I can’t tell if you’re telling me the truth or not.”

She says she’s telling the truth.

He still can’t tell. He needs to think. He doesn’t know. He wants to believe her.

So believe her.

“Alright,” he says. He’ll believe her.

For now.

She smiles her pretty smile at him again. “Great. Then there’s something I want to tell you, Max.”

That surprises him.

“Not ask me?”

Don’t say that!

She shakes her head. “No, not ask you.”

“What?”

“I want the two of us to be friends.”

“Friends,” he says.

Was that the word?

She nods. “Yes, friends. Wouldn’t you like for us to be friends?”

Friends. Yes, that was the word.

Don’t look at her.

He looks away from her. He’s embarrassed. He wants to be her friend, but he wants her to be his too.

Is there a difference?

There’s a difference.

“I don’t know. I guess I would. What kind of friend would you be?”

“Hopefully I would be the kind of friend you can talk to,” she says.

“You want me to talk to you,” he repeats.

She wants to ask questions.

“I would like that.”

She looks sincere. He can’t see what her lies look like. She might be lying. She might want to just ask him questions. She might want to know if he’s crazy.

Ask her.

He asks her. “Will you ask me questions?”

“You don’t like it when I ask you questions,” she says.

That wasn’t an answer.

He knows that. He shakes his head anyway. “It feels like you’re trying to see inside of my head. I don’t want you to see in there.”

Don’t say that!

She’s looking at him. He’s not looking at her, but he knows she’s looking at him.

“You believe that it’s different inside of your head than it is out here.”

He should not have said that.

“It is different. I’m different.”

Don’t say that either!

“Tell me how it’s different.”

Don’t say it! Don’t tell her!

He won’t. He shakes his head. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

That’s good.

“Okay Max, Then what would you like to talk about instead?”

She’s asking what he wants to talk about? The other doctors never ask that question. He doesn’t know what he wants to talk about. “I would like to talk about…”

He does not know. He does not have much to talk about. He looks around his room. He does not have much in life.

“Let’s just talk about your day,” she suggests.

“My day?” he asks. He’s confused. Why would she want to know about his day? What does he even know about his day?

“Yes,” she says. “Just take me through your day.”

What is his day? He needs to think. “My normal day,” he says. “Well, I wake up when Tim comes.”

She doesn’t want to know that. Why would she care?

“And who’s Tim?” she asks.

She does care.

He tells her who Tim is.

She laughs. The sound is almost as pretty as the look on her face when she smiles.

Did he say that?

He didn’t say that.

Good.

“Okay. So Tim brings you your food in the morning. That’s how you mark the start of your day right?”

He nods. She remembered.

She wants to know what else he does.

“I don’t know,” he shrugs. “Sometimes I walk.”

Don’t tell her that!

But he wants to tell her.

She does not understand.

He explains. “Not here.”

“Not here?” she asks him.

“No. I walk on the beach.”

Don’t tell her!

But he wants to.

“The…beach?” she asks. She seems confused.

Don’t tell her.

Tell her.

He tells her about the beach—the beautiful beach with the black sand and the white sea—the beach that he walks on whenever he wants—the beach that’s always there—the beach that he loves the smell of. He wants her to see it. He wants her to feel the sand between her fingers. He wants her to see the white sea just as he does. He wants her to look at the colorless beach and see it just as he does. He wants her to…

“Go on,” she says, urging him to continue.

He doesn’t know what else there is to say. He only knows that the beach makes him happy. He tells her so.

“This beach is home to you,” she says.

“Yes,” he admits.

He can’t believe it. She gets it! She understands!

“And when you say home you mean…?”

“My planet,” he finishes.

He can’t believe she gets it.

“How do you get to this beach if it’s on your planet?” she asks.

Why would she ask that? Maybe she doesn’t get it. “My planet’s not so far away,” he explains. “I can go there anytime I like.”

“You can?” she asks.

He looks at her. He does not understand. Dose she understand? Why is she asking this? Unless… “You…don’t believe me?”

“That’s not it,” she says. “I would just like to know more about it.”

He continues staring at her, then shakes his head. He is wrong. She does not understand. She never understood. She’s still asking questions. She’s still trying to read him. She still wants to know…if he’s crazy. “No. You don’t believe me,” he says. “You do think I’m crazy.”

She’s saying something to him—that she wants him to calm down. He does not understand. Has he said something else? It does not matter. He does not care. He hates the tone of voice she’s using. It’s patronizing. He’s not a child.

And she’s not his friend.

“You don’t want to be my friend,” he says.

Did he say that?

She tries to say something.

Don’t let her. Don’t listen to her. Don’t let her speak.

He doesn’t let her. “You…you’re a liar.” He can see that now. It’s written all over her. He squeezes his hands together into two tight first. What is this feeling?

Anger maybe?

Yes this is anger. He is angry at her for lying. He is angry at himself for not seeing it. He hates liars. He knows too many liars. This world is full of them.

Just like his sister.

“Just like her…just like…”

Don’t say it! Don’t look at anything.

He closes his eyes.

Darkness. Blackness.

That’s better.

“Max…”

She’s speaking to him. He is not listening. He does not care what she has to say. Probably more lies. He wants her to leave. He tells her so.

Tell her to go to hell.

He tells her to go to hell.

Eyes shut tight. Keep them closed.

She’s talking again. She says she’s not lying. She wants him to believe her.

Don’t listen. Keep them closed.

She’s speaking again. He does not want to listen, but he can’t tune her voice out. “Fine Max. You don’t have to talk to me. But I won’t leave you. I’ll sit here, and I’ll be quiet if you want, but I won’t leave you.”

Don’t say anything. Don’t listen. She’s lying. Don’t listen. Don’t say anything. She’s lying. Don’t listen. Don’t say anything. Don’t say anything. Don’t listen. She’s lying. Don’t listen. Don’t say anything. She’s lying. Don’t listen. Don’t say anything. Don’t listen. She’s lying. Don’t listen. Don’t say anything. She’s lying. Don’t listen. Don’t say anything. Don’t listen. She’s lying. Don’t listen. She’s lying. Don’t listen. Don’t say anything. She’s lying. Don’t listen. Don’t listen. She’s lying. Don’t say anything. Don’t listen. She’s lying. Don’t listen. Don’t say anything. She’s lying. Don’t listen. Don’t say anything. Don’t listen. She’s lying. Don’t listen. She’s lying. She’s lying. She’s lying. She’s lying…

He listens.

She’s quiet.

He listens.

She says nothing.

He listens.

Is she lying?

He can feel her. She’s still there. He opens one eye. Why does she say nothing? Why is he listening?

“Why?” he asks quietly.

“Why what?” she asks.

“Why are you still here? Why didn’t you leave?”

“Because, we’re friends,” she says simply.

It’s not simple.

He opens his other eye. She’s wrong. They’re not friends. He tells her.

“Okay, we’re not friends,” she agrees. She’s unfazed. “But I would like for us to be.”

He can feel his heart beating inside of his chest. He can hear it in his ears. It’s not loud. It’s not fast. It’s steady. His heartbeat is steady.

He’s calm.

Why is he calm?

“Why do you care if we’re friends or not? Why do you want to be friends with me?” He does not understand.

Does she make him calm? Is that what it is?

“Well, do I really need a reason to be your friend?” she asks.

Yes. She makes him calm. The sound of her voice—the touch of her presence—it calms him.

The liar calms him.

She’s not a liar.

What is she?

“I don’t know. I’ve never had a friend.”

“Well I don’t think we need a reason to be friends, Max.”

What is she?

He says something. She says something else. He doesn’t care. He is not really listening. But then she’s holding her hand out to him. She asks him something.

She wants to be his friend.

He looks at her hand.

Friends.

That word again?

Was that the word? Was she…his friend?

He takes her hand. It feels soft. It does not feel like the hand of a liar. Maybe they can be friends. Maybe she’s not a liar.

“Yes,” he says softly. He presses her hand with his. “We can be friends.”

Maybe that’s is the word. Maybe that’s what she is.

So it's friend then?

Yeah...friend.
TBC
RosDude
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lucid Absinthe (M/L AU/Mature) Three - 12/07/09

Post by RosDude »

Alien_Friend –
chanks_girl
keepsmiling7
begonia9508 –
To answer your question, there is no “liaison” between Max and absinthe. It is simply the name I chose because of the style in which the story is written. Kind of like reading something that makes sence, “being Lucid” and something that really is kind of foggy, like you’re drunk or high. Like absinthe. Hope that helps.
mary mary
garcia88
Natalie36
Rowedog

Michelle in LA – Welcome back. Yep this I my first kid. I guess I had baby on the brain.
Drogyn
Janetfl

Thanks of reading everyone. And thanks for all of the congratulations. Sorry it has taken so long to get this out. I hope you enjoy. The “Patient” portion is a little hard to follow this time, but I tried to do it as clearly unclearly as I could. But if you have any questions (that I can answer) feel free to ask.

~Chad~

Three — The Doctor
~Friday, August 14, 2009I've learned “nothing”~

Max.

What is he?

Fascinating.

I found this word to be best fitting of him. Even though the time I’d spent with him amounted to no more than a few days, I could assuredly say that he was unlike any patient I’d ever had before. Already he had managed to shock, enlighten, humble, perplex, and simply amaze me. It was as if the time I spent with him actually had transported the two of us to another world. It was a world that made very little sense, and supported logic in the barest form of the word—if indeed there was any logic to it at all. An hour a day every other day, that's all it was. Yet in those hours it was perfectly acceptable for Max, the things he said, the things he did, and the way he said and did them, to not make sense to anyone else in the world but him.

During the times I had spent with my patient, I had slowly begun learning how to read him. Sometimes when Max spook it was like there was someone else speaking though him. Because of this, I often found it difficult to determine his actual feelings. There was something about him that seemed so intelligent, but still completely incognizant. There were times when he could be wholly focused on whatever topic the two of us happened to be discussing, while other times, he seemed barely aware of what was going on around him, and yet always he managed to respond and react to every word I spoke to him. Those were the times I found it most difficult to understand whether or not what he said was his true belief, or a conditioned response he had triggered in his mind.

How?

How could a seventeen year old boy be this mass of contradictions?

More importantly, why?

I had yet to determine a plausible reason for Max's supposed insanity. I found that since our first meeting, it was difficult to get him to speak candidly about his past. On the rare occasion that he did let me in on anything about his childhood, he immediately redirected the conversation towards me. However, I had been able to gather some information about Max based on my own observations and interpretations of our conversations.

So far, those conclusions were only ones I had come to on my own. None of which had been directly confirmed by the patient.

He does not like being questioned about himself. — A fairly early observation.

He does not like colors. — I have yet to determine the reasoning for this.

He is easily distracted by little things, but is able to maintain focus on more than one topic at a time. — I call these drifts, and find them particularly interesting.

So where do I stand with Max?

In regard to his relationship with me, I believe I am slowly placing myself into a position of confidant. It is a slow process, but if I continued working towards the goal of earning Max's trust, I had no doubt that he would soon consider me someone he could speak to about anything. Including the things he had never spoken about to anyone before. I believed that therein lied whatever event, or perhaps trauma Max had suffered that caused him to see himself as something other than a human being.

When I reached Max’s room for our regular meeting, as always, I knocked before opening the door. And as always, Max gave no answer. However, when I entered into his room, I saw that he was laying face down on the bed instead of sitting in his usual potion with his back to the wall, and his legs crisscrossed on the bed.

Seeing this was a bit of a surprise for me. Another thing I had learned about Max was that it was not in his nature to change things. Everything about him was constant, from the way he always left his shoes sitting in front of the door, to the way he arranged his room for every meeting we’d had so far. I had not expected him to change anything from the structure the two of us had established for these meetings. Previously, he would sit in the bed facing me, while I sat in the chair facing him. Even though the room held two chairs and a table, the two of us never sat at the table together.

Though I was a bit perplexed by the change, it was not so drastic that I needed to sound any alarms. “Hello, Max,” I greeted him—again as I always had.

Max made no response.

The chair he usually set aside for me in preparation for our meetings had also not been taken out, and was still tucked under the table. I pulled it out and drug it over to Max’s bedside, then took my seat.

“Max, it's Dr. Parker,” I tried for a second time.

Still no answer.

Just when I was beginning to worry that something was wrong, Max's body lifted slowly from its face down position, resting his weight on his forearms. However, he kept his head buried in the pillow on his bed.

It was a relief to know that at least he was conscious.

“Max?”

“I know who you are,” his pillow muffled voice answered.

“Are you alright?” I asked.

“Yes.”

I waited to see if he would say anything else. When he made no indication that he intended to speak any further, I continued on. “I'm sure you know why I'm here, Max.”

“I do.”

“Then shall we begin?”

“We can.” Still, he did not turn his head away from his pillow.

I frowned. It was difficult to gauge his attitude because I could not see his face, and his voice was being muffled by the pillow. “Do you intend to speak more than two words to me?” I asked calmly.

Finally, Max turned his head away from his pillow to face me. Surprisingly enough, he was smiling. “Possibly,” he said.

Another one word answer. Was he teasing me? If so, it was not something he did often. Perhaps this was the mark of further development in our relationship.

“What were you doing, Max?” I asked, smiling myself. If he had been teasing, it was best that I reinforced to him that I was in an easy mood, and didn’t mind being teased.

He shrugged, then rearranged himself to a sitting position. “Thinking.”

“And I suppose there is a reason you chose that position to think in,” I said, fishing for an explanation from him.

“It's the best way to think without interference.”

“Interference,” I echoed, wondering what he meant by that.

“Interference from the world,” he said. He crisscrossed his legs and placed his hands palms up on his knees in a position that made him look as if he were going to start meditating. “Close your eyes,” he ordered.

In my mind I wondered what he intended, however I did as he asked without question.

“Now cover your ears,” he added once I’d closed my eyes.

I opened my eyes to see that his eyes were already closed, and he had lifted his hands from his knees to cover his own ears.

“Alright,” I said, following his example and closing my eyes once more.

“Now there is no interference,” he said. “There's nothing.”

I opened my eyes again, and took my hands off of my ears, not really understanding what Max meant by “nothing”, but I assumed it had to do with the lack of sight and sound this position induced.

Max went on. His eyes were still closed and his ears were still covered. “It's easier to think when there's nothing. When it's just you, and no one else,”

“Well, I'm not sure if I’m a ‘nothing person,” I said teasingly.

Max opened his left eye without taking his hands off of his ears. “That's because you're a 'something' person.”

“A 'something' person?”

“It's okay,” he said, opening his other eye, and removing his hands from his ears. “All doctors are something people. They use the things around them to tell them what they want to know. They listen to the things people say, they examine their patient’s bodies for illnesses or disease, then they make determinations from that. They don't see what’s not there, or listen to what people don't say. They can't see it or hear it. They don't know what 'nothing' is. They are 'something' people.”

I thought on Max's explanation of “something” people. I had never heard of anything like it before, and of course, I knew it was just something he had made up. However, it was still an interesting notion. Plus, it gave clearer insight into Max's perception of people.

“So then if there are 'something' people, like doctors. What quantifies a 'nothing' person, like yourself?”

Max stared at me quietly without speaking in one of those moments between us when I could not clearly judge what he was actually thinking. He opened his mouth as if he were going to speak, then closed it without saying anything. That was a motion I recognized clearly. Max often did it whenever he wanted to tell me something, but felt hesitant about saying it.

“Please Max,” I said, urging him to say whatever it was he wanted to say. “I would really like to know.”

“You have that look,” he said.

“What look?”

“I don't like it,” he continued without explaining what “look” he meant. “Whenever you have that look it means you're trying to figure me out.”

“We're just talking,” I told him. Perhaps he was right in a way. Indirectly I was trying to figure him out, but not in the negative way he seemed to perceive it as. I only wanted to get to know and understand Max better so that I could make a clear and accurate assessment of his state of mind.

“Isn't it your job to figure me out?” he asked, then shook his head vigorously before I could answer. “I'm crazy. It's your job to figure me out. That's why you're here.”

I had assumed we were passed this point in our relationship. Apparently not. Then again, it was a mistake on my part to assume anything with regard to my relationship with Max, or any patient I had for that matter. “That's not why I'm here, Max.” I did not know if he was listening to me anymore. He was no longer looking at me. However, I'd already learned that Max was often aware of what I said or did, even when it outwardly appeared that he was in his own little world.

“You want to know what makes a ‘nothing’ person?” he asked, suddenly switching back to the topic that had set off this sudden distrustful attitude he had towards me.

I was unsure of how to answer. If I said yes, there was the possibility that it could set him off again. Determining what type of reaction Max would have was often as predictable as a coin toss.

“Yes, Max. I would like to know.” It was the truth. True and simple.

Max sighed.“I am…no.” he shook his head. “I would want the world to stop. When things were happening, or they were yelling, I would want them to stop. I would want everything to stop so that I didn't have to hear…them…anything. When it was quiet and it was just me in my head. No one else was there. No one could…”

He paused right when I wanted desperately for him to go on. He seemed to finally be speaking honestly. It was the most frank he'd ever been in all of our meetings. I noted he was speaking in the past tense. Had whatever he had spoken of been referring to something that had happened in his past?

“Max,” I called to him. He was no longer looking my way. He didn’t seem to want to look at me. There was no helping it. I had to ask him. “Who are ‘they’?” Who and what were the things he hadn’t wanted to hear?

He shook his head again, still without looking at me. “If I said it…if I told you…you wouldn’t believe that I…”

“That you what, Max?”

He looked back at me. His eyes were completely blank. “Nothing,” he said. “It’s nothing.” He smiled. “Can we take a walk?”

I frowned. Just like that, whatever Max had been about to share with me was gone. I contemplated redirecting the conversation back, but chances were that Max would feel pushed, and would most likely close up on me for the rest of the session. I sighed. “You want to take a walk?”

He nodded. “If it’s okay. You do that don’t you?”

I nodded. Yes, patients were allowed to leave their rooms for timed breaks as long as their doctor’s believed they were of a fit mind to be around other patients, or if they were accompanied by a security escort. As far as I knew, Max had never requested to leave his room before.

“Sure Max, we can take a walk, if that’s what you would like. Just wait here one moment.” Since Max would be with me, I didn’t feel that the two of us were in need of an escort, however, I wanted to make sure security was aware that the two of us would be leaving Max’s room for a while, and that they were also aware of our location. Taking a walk was a good idea, and one I should have suggested myself. Perhaps the fresh air and release from what seemed like captivity would do Max good.

When I returned to Max’s room after notifying security of our plans, he was still sitting crisscrossed on the bed. “Alright Max, we’re ready.”

“Really?” he asked, his eyes lighting with what appeared to be a sudden excitement.

I nodded. “Yes, whenever you are.”

He pushed himself to the edge of the bed and came to stand next to me. “I’m ready,” he said.

I looked down at his shoes that were still sitting on the floor in front of the door. “Are you going to wear your shoes?” I asked.

He followed my gaze to the shoes. “Those?” he asked pointing to them.

I nodded. “Yes, those.”

Max shook his head. “No, those aren’t mine. They were here when I woke up one day.”

I wanted to laugh, but I wasn’t sure if he was joking or serious. “Max, those shoes were left here for you,” I explained to him.

He looked back at them. “Really? They’re ugly.” He turned back to me. “I’d rather not wear them.”

He was serious. “Well, since we’re going outside, don’t you think it would be better if you wore them? You could step on something.”

“I’m stepping on something now,” he answered smartly.

“Be that as it may, I think it’s a good idea that you wear your shoes outside.”

“Will it please you?” he asked, turning suddenly back at me.

It was an odd question from him, but then, I was used to Max asking me odd questions. “Yes, Max. It would please me if you wore your shoes outside.”

Once more Max looked down at the shoes. “Then I’ll wear them.” He picked the shoes up and walked back over to his bed to put them on.

I contemplated what had just happened. He would wear the shoes — if it pleased me. A strange notion. Max wanted to please me.

Why?

Perhaps I would find out the reason on our walk.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
RosDude
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Lucid Absinthe (M/L AU/Mature) Three - 12/07/09

Post by RosDude »

Three – The Patient
~More daysHe teaches “nothing”~

Nothing.

There is nothing. He likes it this way. It is peaceful. Even though there is nothing, he still thinks of her. He thinks of Dr. Parker.

She is in his mind.

She is in his nothing.

Why?

Hmm, that’s a question, right?

He does not know the answer.

Maybe?

He likes the way she smells. He likes the way she smiles…the way she talks…the way she…

Maybe.

He sees her in nothing. When his mind is clear it goes to her.

How?

He does not know.

How is she inside nothing?

He likes that she is there.

No!

He does. He feels safe when she’s there. Feels sane…

Don’t say that!

Not insane. He’s not insane.

Good.

…but still. She’s there.

Damn.

He hears a knock on the door. She’s here.

He’s happy.

Nothing! Remember nothing?

She’s better than nothing.

Damn.

She’s moving around. He hears her.

What is she doing?

She’s going to sit down.

Is she looking?

She probably is.

He hears “Hello, Max.”

Her voice. He likes it. He says nothing. He wants her to speak again.

She’s moving the chair. He hears it. He forgot. He forgets everything when there is nothing. He’ll remember next time.

“Max, it's Dr. Parker.”

Again. Her voice.

Stop. She’ll be worried. She’ll be suspicious.

He sits up.

“Max?”

Answer her.

He answers her.

She asks if he’s alright.

He’s alright.

Keep speaking.

No. He wants to hear her speak.

She speaks again.

He answers.

Again,

He answers.

She’ll be mad.

She won’t. She knows. He’s not insane.

“Do you intend to speak more than two words to me?” she asks. Her voice is sweet.

Enough!

It’s enough. He turns around to face her.

He sees her.

He smiles.

“Possibly,” he says.

She smiles. How pretty.

Stop. Listen.

He listens. She wants to know what he’s doing.

She wants to know? Answer her.

“Thinking.”

“And I suppose there is a reason you chose that position to think in.”

“It's the best way to think without interference.”

Is that what it is?

Well, not all interference.

“Interference.” She says it. She wants to know what it is.

Tell her.

“Interference from the world,” he tells her.

That’s not enough. Show her.

Why?

Show her and see if she knows.

He’ll show her. She’ll know he’s not insane.

He gets into position.

Make her close her eyes. Make her see it. Make her feel it.

“Close your eyes.”

She does.

“Now cover your ears.”

He covers his ears.

“Now there is no interference. There's nothing.”

Can she see it? Can she feel it?

“It's easier to think when there's nothing. When it's just you, and no one else.”

When there is her, and she is his nothing.

Don’t say that.

He does not say that.

“Well, I'm not sure if I’m a ‘nothing person.”

Ha! She does not like nothing!

He opens his eyes. He knew she would not like nothing. She could not like nothing.

Why not?

“That's because you're a 'something' person.”

“A 'something' person?”

A something person?

He tells her it’s okay. This is why: “All doctors are something people. They use the things around them to tell them what they want to know. They listen to the things people say, they examine their patient’s bodies for illnesses or disease, then they make determinations from that. They don't see what’s not there, or listen to what people don't say. They can't see it or hear it. They don't know what 'nothing' is. They are 'something' people.”

Then why is she his nothing?

“So then if there are 'something' people, like doctors. What quantifies a 'nothing' person, like yourself?”

What?

What?

How did he become nothing?

Don’t tell her that. Can’t tell her that.

He wants to tell her that.

He wants her to know.

He wants to leave nothing so that…so that.

But…without nothing, he’s nothing.

“Please Max, I would really like to know.”

Look at her face.

He looks at her face.

See. She has that look. She doesn’t really care. She doesn’t want to know. Don’t tell her.

But…

“You have that look.”

“What look?”

She knows what the look is. Don’t believe her.

“I don't like it.”

“Whenever you have that look it means you're trying to figure me out.”

It’s because she’s a doctor.

“We're just talking.”

That’s right. They were just talking.

No.

He doesn’t know.

“Isn't it your job to figure me out?”

Yes, it’s her job. She’s here for her job.

His head hurts. He shakes it. “I'm crazy. It's your job to figure me out. That's why you're here.”

“That's not why I'm here, Max.”

He wants to believe her. He wants to believe her. He wants to tell her.

Don’t tell her.

He wants to tell her.

Don’t.

He wants…

He will.

“You want to know what makes a ‘nothing’ person?”

She doesn’t.

Yes she does.

She tells him she would like to know.

He sighs. “I am…”

That’s not right. He would start again.

“No. I would want the world to stop. When things were happening, or they were yelling, I would want them to stop. I would want everything to stop so that I didn’t have to hear”

He can’t find the words. He can’t get them out.

“…them…anything. When it was quiet and it was just me in my head. No one else was there. No one could…”

He can’t find the words. They’re mixing up in his head. He wants her to know, but he can’t find the words.

Don’t tell her. Stop.

He stops.

She says his name.

Stop.

She asks him something. What does she ask?

Just stop.

But he wants to tell her. She wants to know. She wants to…help.

“If I said it…if I told you…you wouldn’t believe that I…”

She’ll know. What will happen if she knows?

What will happen? No he can’t let that happen.

He can’t tell her.

Good.

“That you what, Max?”

Don’t tell her.

He doesn’t tell her. He says it’s nothing.

That word again.

Change the subject.

He asks her to go for a walk. It’s the first thing that comes to him.

Smile.

He smiles.

She frowns. He does not know that look. She does not frown often.

Now her face is changing. It’s that look. Is she going to ask him? I she going to…?

She sighs. She doesn’t ask him.

Good.

“You want to take a walk?”

A walk? Oh right. A walk.

He nods. “If it’s okay. You do that don’t you?”

Yes. She does that.

“Sure Max, we can take a walk, if that’s what you would like. Just wait here one moment.”

She leaves to go prepare for their walk.

He sighs.

That was close.

But he wanted to tell her. He was sure she wanted to know.

She doesn’t. Remember?

He remembers. To her, he’s just crazy. But she said she didn’t think he was crazy. She said she wanted to be his friend.

Lies.

She wants to help him.

Lie.

Right…he doesn’t need any help.

Right.

He’s not insane.

Right.

He’s not crazy.

Right.

Time goes by. How much time?

Six minutes and forty-seven seconds.

She comes back. She says she’s ready.

For what?

The walk.

Right. The walk. “Really?” He tries to sound excited.

He’s not.

“Yes, whenever you are.”

Stand up.

He gets off the bed. “I’m ready.”

She doesn’t leave. She’s looking at something.

“Are you going to wear your shoes?” she asks him.

He looks at the shoes. “Those?”

“Yes, those.”

Those aren’t his. Someone else left them here. He never wears them. He wears socks. He goes bare. He never wears them.

She tells him. Those shoes are his.

He looks at them. They’re ugly. He tells her so. He’d rather not wear them. He tells her so.

“Well, since we’re going outside, don’t you think it would be better if you wore them? You could step on something.”

“I’m stepping on something now.”

Still. She wants him to wear them

He won’t. Unless…

“Will it please you?”

Don’t ask her that.

Did he ask that?

He did.

Why does he want to please her?

Because.

Because what?

Because…

“Yes, Max. It would please me if you wore your shoes outside.”

Then he’ll wear them. If it pleases her, he’ll wear them.

Why? Why please her?

Because.

Why?

Because she is his nothing.

No.

Because she is everything.

What?

Yes. She is his everything.
TBC