THE ASSASSIN - AU/CC/Adult - Epilogue - 11/6/16

Fics using the characters from Roswell, but where the plot does not have anything to do with aliens, nor are any of the characters "not of this Earth."

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

sarammlover
Addicted Roswellian

Re: THE ASSASSIN - AU/CC/Adult - Part 36 - 10/4/15

Post by sarammlover »

I am SO in love with Kyle and TEss! THey are hilarious together. I am so glad Bane/Michael has so really good confidants here! And I am glad M&M are talking a little easier. Glad the tracker is out and excited to catch up with the other two couples! Great job.
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: THE ASSASSIN - AU/CC/Adult - Part 36 - 10/4/15

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Great part.
Thanks,
Carolyn
Double Trouble
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 37

Post by Double Trouble »

Roswelllostcause: That is good news. No, they still have a way to go before they can get past their current situation.

begonia9508: That’d be a good idea if the trackers work that way... we’ll have to wait and see.

Earth2Mama: We’ll have to wait to find out what they do with it.

That side of him does exist... though he may not want to admit it.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Eva: Lol, we wish we did! How amazing would it be to see something you write up on the big screen?

Yep, this’s very uncharted territory for Michael. It may be a side of himself he wishes didn’t exist, but with Maria there’s no doubt that it is there.

sarammlover: They’re great! We love them too and they’re so much fun to write! It’s time for them to have a little easing between them, they’re overdue. Thanks!

keepsmiling7: Thanks for reading!

Part 37

Alex sat hunched over the laptop, his gritty eyes closed as he fought back another yawn. He had finally managed to unlock the password protected file that held the dossiers of the assassins in The Circle’s network. Unfortunately his success had led to yet another blockade. Each of the dossiers was password protected and while he was only focusing on two of them he hadn’t made much headway. He’d begun working on a program to decode the passwords but so far he hadn’t quite perfected it.

Stifling a yawn he pressed his fingertips against his closed eyelids and stretched his back before resuming his former position. He cracked his knuckles and typed in another string of code, his concentration focused on the information on the screen. He was determined to crack the system. He had spent hours upon hours working on his project, hoping to uncover the answers in his companion’s past. She denied an interest in having them, but he had a feeling it would be a different story if he could actually present her with them.

He watched as a keypad suddenly appeared on the screen and his program began to rapidly filter through literally millions of numeric combinations. Sequence after sequence was attempted and discarded, each one seeming faster than the one before. It could still take days to get a hit so he forced himself to his feet and stumbled across the room for a cup of coffee.

His gaze lifted to the mirror as he stirred his coffee and he stared at Val’s outline beneath the sheet covering her. He knew she slept in the nude and in spite of his exhaustion his body responded to that thought. He resisted its demand that he abandon his coffee and seek other, more satisfying stimulation. As incredible as sex with her was, she wasn’t receptive to having a bedmate unless she specifically requested he join her. And that had yet to happen.

He’d made the mistake of thinking he’d slip into bed with her one night when the thought of his tall frame being contorted on the couch was too intolerable to contemplate. He’d barely had one butt cheek on the bed and he’d found himself pinned to the mattress with the blade of a combat knife pressed against his throat. He reached up to rub his throat unconsciously. That was not something he cared to experience again.

She had been pissed at him and she’d expressed her fury quite vocally as she proceeded to rip him a new one for daring to cross the line she’d drawn. He’d been terrified at first, left speechless by the feeling of the cold steel pressed into his flesh. Then, once she’d backed off and put the knife away, his mood had shifted to mirror hers. They’d gotten into a huge argument and all that anger had ignited as they stood toe to toe, each of them refusing to back down. She’d had him pinned to the wall, hands and mouth ravenously exploring and demanding, before he’d even known what had hit him.

He sighed at the memory. They’d done it up against the wall that night. She allowed him plenty of freedom where sex was concerned but not once had she let him take her in a bed. That was as off limits as sleeping next to her at night. Rationally, he supposed he could understand it. His heart, on the other hand, it wasn’t as capable of understanding the boundaries she’d set.

Val watched him as he padded softly across the room, her gaze seeking and finding the evidence of arousal in his tented boxers. Her thighs rubbed together in anticipation. She had avoided emotional entanglements for as long as she could remember because it was safer that way. Alex was a man who enjoyed sex, he was the kind of lover who understood the balance of give and take, and while she knew he didn’t like the boundaries she’d placed in certain areas, he still respected them. He was a generous lover and there were times she wanted to really let go with him and see what happened, but she knew better.

Their arrangement would eventually end and she couldn’t risk having second thoughts about that when the time came. He was the kind of guy who stuck around. The kind who was going to make some woman a great husband one day and he’d be a great father to their children. He was the type that would do whatever was necessary to care and provide for his family. She, on the other hand, was a born killer. She wasn’t destined for love, family, or anything else that normal people dreamed about. She had the here and now. Nothing existed beyond that.

Alex believed something more was possible but when this was all over he’d have to face reality. He would go back to his life and she would disappear, living out her life in seclusion. Even if they managed to bring The Circle down she would be marked. They would never completely eradicate the organization and that meant there would always be a bounty on their heads. He deserved better than living a life like that and she intended to see that he got that. Right now though, he was going to get something more immediately satisfying, she thought as she threw the sheet back and rose from the bed.

Alex watched the number sequences as they filtered for a few minutes before he took his glasses off and tossed them on the table next to his laptop. Coffee finished, he tossed the disposable cup in the trash and stretched before slouching back against the couch. He rubbed his eyes and swallowed a yawn when a pair of hands slid down over his shoulders. His left hand dropped to settle on one of her arms where it rested on his chest. “I thought you were asleep.”

“I was,” she murmured against his ear before her tongue slipped out to tease the skin, “but I had this dream –”

“I thought you said you didn’t dream,” he interrupted.

She huffed in irritation. “Fantasy, alright? I was lying in bed fantasizing about you fucking me.”

He was asking questions she didn’t like so she was drawing lines again, reminding him of his place in their arrangement. He loved sex and sex with her was incredible, but he wanted it to be so much more. He wanted her to understand it could be so much more. “So you just want a good fuck so you can go back over there and get some sleep,” he said conversationally as he stood and stripped his boxers off.

Her eyes darkened further when he turned to face her and her gaze moved over him hungrily. “Yes.”

He nodded and moved around the couch, his body hot as it came into contact with hers from behind. His hands gripped her hips and pulled her back into him as he used his upper body to push her forward over the couch. Their bodies were in alignment, his cock rubbing against her folds and making her moan. “Maybe like this?” His hips shifted, teasing her slowly. “Just bend you over and fuck you until we’re both too weak to stand?”

“Yes.” She pushed back into him, needing to feel him and whimpering when he denied her needs.

“No.” He held her in place when she started to turn. “There’s a time and a place, Val. And you don’t know the difference.” His left hand held her hands pinned against her body as his right slipped down to slide his fingers through her wet heat. “It doesn’t always have to be hard and fast and it doesn’t always have to be just fucking.” His teeth grazed the soft skin of her ear as he stroked her, bringing her closer to orgasm.

Val felt like she was on overload. He was touching her with nothing more than his hand and his breath and it was more than she could handle. Hard and fast served multiple purposes and by not following the rules he was ruining things. Her body started to shake when he capitulated to a small degree and thrust two fingers inside her while grinding the heel of his hand against her clit. She came apart and for a few minutes lost track of time. As soon as she could put a coherent thought together she pushed him away.

“You deserve more than what you’ve allowed yourself to expect, Val,” he said quietly.

“Go to bed, Whitman.” She walked back over to the bed and crawled beneath the sheet. She didn’t deserve more. She knew who and what she was and one day he would accept that truth and stop trying to make her believe otherwise.

Alex glanced down at himself and shook his head. What the hell is wrong with you, he railed silently. But he knew what it was, and it wasn’t that anything was wrong with him. He didn’t believe nice guys always finished last, but sometimes it sure felt like it. Nights like this to be more precise. A perfectly good erection completely wasted. Ungh, he hated cold showers. And since he and Val had become lovers he’d had no need for one.

“I’ll take watch soon as I get outta the shower,” he said without waiting for a response. He knew she was awake and she’d keep an eye on things until he came back. He didn’t bother going back for his boxers before heading to the bathroom. What was the point? He did lean over the couch, stretching his right arm out to snatch his gun off of the coffee table before heading to the bathroom. His gun. He smirked and shook his head. Even in his wildest imaginings he’d never pictured himself in a scenario quite like this.

Maria groaned slightly when she woke up, looking around and seeing that it was already getting dark again. Damn, had she really slept through most of the day? What day was it anyway? And when had she last eaten?

Her body felt stiff like she hadn’t moved it for weeks. Carefully, she flexed her feet first, slowly trying to get some feeling back in her legs. Something cold was wrapped around her thigh and when she lifted the blanket slowly, she saw the dishtowel wrapped ice pack there. Someone must have been in here, because she couldn’t remember placing it there. Instead the last thing she remembered was…

Her fingertips went to her lips and caressed them softly. Yeah, he had kissed her again. Passionately, but also gentle because he had been worried about the surgery although he hadn’t admitted it for obvious reasons.

A slight movement of the mattress made her frown. She wanted to put it off as dizziness at first, but when something warm brushed her back where the tee shirt had ridden up, she forced her upper body into a sitting position just to find a certain assassin lying right next to her.

How long had he been there? She examined his bare upper body with her eyes and detected the bandage that covered the wound on his back. Probably for a while. Soft breaths escaped his mouth and she couldn’t help but run a hand through his short unruly hair.

Her eyes went to the door at the end of the room. Damn, she really needed to pee and although her body was protesting with every move, she forced herself out of bed and into the bathroom to take care of business. When she returned a few minutes later, she found him staring right back at her with his cheek pressed to the pillow and one strong arm under it for support. It was semi dark in the room, but she didn’t miss the exhaustion in his features. “What time is it?” he asked.

She limped back to the bed and sat down on the edge carefully. “Just after 7pm.”

He grunted and motioned to the bed with a nod of his head, letting her know she should lie down. Damn, just that simple move made his head hurt like hell and his stomach rolled nauseatingly to remind him that even though it had been some time since he’d eaten he’d better take it slowly. He hated anesthesia and even in small amounts it just never set well with him. The pain in his back was constant, but painkillers dulled the senses and he couldn’t risk it. It was bad enough he’d been out for hours.

“How’s the leg?” he rasped.

“Cold. Other than that I don’t feel much more than soreness.”

“Everything else?” She looked a lot better than she had the last time he’d looked in on her.

“I’m still damn tired, but not so dizzy.” She rested her back against the pillows and lifted the leg on the mattress carefully. “I could eat something.”

“Well, Harding can cook and judging by the smell I’d say she’s puttin’ those talents to use.” He just hoped it would be something his stomach could handle.

“How are you feeling? Was she able to remove it?”

“Feel like somethin’ with razor sharp claws did a Mexican hat dance on my back, but other than that and a little nausea from the local she gave me I’m fine. She got it out.”

“That’s good.” She smirked. “At least you don’t have to worry about a sex drive disaster and I won’t have to watch my back.”

He snorted at that and frowned when just that simple move made his incision hurt. “Me? No sex drive? Never happen,” he said confidently.

“Yeah, it’s hard to believe,” she sighed dramatically.

“Baby, you have no idea.” He turned his head when one of the steps creaked. “We’re gonna have company soon.”

“Well, hopefully they’re gonna tell us dinner’s ready.”

His stomach rumbled in an unsubtle agreement just as the door was nudged open and Kyle poked his head inside. “She said you’d be awake right about now.” He shook his head. “It’s okay if she’s wrong once in a while, y’know.”

“Well, just don’t tell her, Valenti.”

He rolled his eyes. “I won’t have to. She always knows. I’ve gotta take a look at that incision, make sure there’s no infection present.”

“You sure your stomach can handle that?” Michael snorted.

“It’s stitched closed, jackass.” Ungh, even stitched he hated looking at wounds, but it was a helluva lot better than when they were wide open. He didn’t want to know what anyone’s insides looked like. He much preferred the outer view.

“Make it quick, I need to piss,” he sat up.

“Sit up too quick?” he mocked when Bane gripped the bed tightly. He was familiar with that sensation; the one where the room started spinning because you refused to be told what to do or how to do it after surgery. “Blow chow and I’m not cleanin’ up after you.”

“I’m not gonna puke on you, now hurry up.”

Kyle carefully peeled the tape back, pulling the bandage away from the incision and inhaling deeply before he leaned in to take a look. “You’ve gotta give the woman credit,” he mused as he took in the clean line of stitches, “she does good work.” Satisfied that everything was alright he taped the bandage back down. “Looks good, no sign of infection, but I’m sure you know she’ll be double checking to make sure.”

“Yeah, whatever,” Michael shoved the man away from him, but not too hard, and got to his feet, careful to not look like a wuss.

“Do you think he needs some help?” Maria asked.

“He’d refuse it anyway,” Kyle shrugged.

“That doesn’t mean he doesn’t need help.”

“Maybe, but the last thing you wanna do is try to give him a hand right now. You think a wounded bear’s dangerous?” He shook his head. “As long as he can get up on his own two feet it’s better to just let him test his limits.”

Maria sighed. “Well, okay. But if he slips, you’re gonna go in there.”

“He’ll be fine. Tess said your leg should be feeling a little better. Was she right about that too?”

“Yeah, I feel less dizzy as well.”

“That’s good. I’m sure once you get some food on your stomach you’ll feel even better.”

“Food sounds good,” she agreed.

He chuckled. “Well, you won’t be disappointed. I swear, if that woman of mine hadn’t gone into the military she’d have been a famous chef.”

“That sounds like I’m gonna be even more hungry now.”

“Well, as soon as pokey drags his sorry ass back out here we’ll go down and have some dinner. In spite of getting whacked with a spatula, popped with the dishtowel, and smacked a couple of times for trying to get a taste I’m ready to dig in too.” He rolled his eyes when she just stared at him. “She’s bossy in the kitchen too.”

“Ah, okay. You can go back and help her if ya want. I’ll wait for him an’ if he needs help we’ll let you know.”

He knew a dismissal when he heard one. Yeah, he could see how Bane just might have met his match in this woman. “What I do in the kitchen can hardly be called help according to my wife. But I’ll leave you to it.”

Maria chuckled and waited in silence until Michael got out of the bathroom. “Everything go okay in there?” she teased when he joined her.

“You’ll be happy to know everything’s in workin’ order.” He forced a grin in spite of the agony shooting through his back.

“Dinner’s ready. Think you’ll be able to join the others in the kitchen?” She slowly got up on her own.

“Yeah, I’m good. Harding managed to get the tracker out without nicking my spine, so everything’s functioning normally.”

“That’s good news,” she chuckled and grabbed some sweatpants from the chair in front of her.

Yeah, he was pretty happy about that too. “I don’t know what she’s cookin’ but fuck, it smells good.” He grabbed a shirt but didn’t bother putting it on, just hung it over his shoulder. The first thing Tess was gonna wanna do would be to take a look at the incision.

Maria groaned when she lifted her legs one after another to pull the pants on. “I feel like I’m 90-something.”

“You haven’t been up much the past few days. It’ll work itself outta your muscles when you start movin’ around more.”

“Yeah, probably.” She straightened and forced a smile. “I think I’ll live. For a while at least.”

“We’re holdin’ our own for now, just focus on that,” he advised as he took the lead, checking the hallway out of habit before stepping out and gesturing for her to follow him. He paused at the staircase, one hand gripping the rail in a white-knuckled grip when a wave of dizziness washed over him. He mentally took stock and decided it had to be a combination of not eating for hours and the blood loss from the surgery.

“I know you don’t want to hear it, but take it easy.”

No, he didn’t want to hear it but he heeded her words anyway. It wasn’t like he had much choice. If he pushed it he was gonna end up taking a header down the stairs and he couldn’t afford that right now.

She followed him silently and was thankful when they reached the kitchen with no damage to him or the house. “That smells wonderful, Tess.”

“Thank you.” The woman turned away from the stove, her gaze assessing as it moved over each of them in turn. She motioned to the table with the spatula in her hand. “Sit.”

“Jeez,” Michael muttered as he took his seat

Kyle grinned from his spot leaning against the counter, taking up space and drinking a beer. “Good job makin’ it downstairs without fallin’ flat on your face.”

“Thanks, Valenti.” He flipped him off.

Tess just rolled her eyes and started to serve everyone a plate. “So bring us up to date. We know Val and Alex are heading for a target involved with the Circle. What about the civilians they had in tow last time?”

“They were...” he frowned and looked around. “They were supposed to make contact with me after they infiltrated the bank in Salem. Where’s my phone?”

“I’ll get it.” Kyle placed a hand on his shoulder as he got up, snatching up a piece of roasted broccoli off of his plate and shoving it in his mouth. “That’s good, babe.”

She smirked and nodded as she took her seat. If it weren’t for the fact that she was a damn good cook he’d never eat anything healthy.

“I talked to Val, told her to reach out to them because I didn’t know how long I’d be out after you got done diggin’ that tracker out. She said she’d send a text, let me know they got out safe and made contact.”

“It’s got a message on it,” Kyle agreed as he handed the cell over.

“Why don’t you get to work carvin’ that bird, Valenti,” he said as he punched in the code to unlock the screen. “Since the wife left somethin’ for you to do.”

The other man flipped him off and reached for the carving knife and the platter of roast chicken at the same time. Tess had already filled the plates with all the sides and he was dying to sit down and eat. He lifted an eyebrow when his buddy listened to the message and then went through the menu to listen to it again. “Everything okay?”

“Yeah,” his gaze landed on Maria. “Your uncle has a few surprises up his sleeve even after his death.”

“What’s that mean?”

“The contents of the bank deposit box? It was your dad’s last will.”

She frowned. “I don’t understand. My dad made provisions for me, I’ve seen the documents.”

“Obviously there was more to it.”

“Did they say what was in it? I need to see it. I’ve seen everything my parents left so I can tell you if it’s different.”

“They said it’s actually only a hint to another deposit box that only you or your mom would be able to access.”

“How do we find out where it is?”

“The paper says where it is.”

“They won’t be able to access it, will they?” She dragged her fork through the mashed potatoes on her plate.

“No,” he said. “Only you’d be able to do so an’ that’s gonna be hard since you’re officially dead.”

“What if the information in that box is the key to this whole mess? I mean, my dad was investigating The Circle and they had him killed. He had to have something on them that was damaging.”

“Could be,” he agreed. “We’ll have to put Alex on it. He’ll need to find out about the security system at the bank. If we’re lucky the thing’s sealed with some code that only you would know. That wouldn’t require an ID check to get to it.”

She nodded, her mind turning over the possibilities. What could be in that box? She fell silent as she started eating, more from hunger than anything else in spite of the obviously gifted hands that had cooked the meal. The food was pure heaven but she tasted very little of it as she lost herself in her thoughts.

“There’s not much we can do about it until we’re healed and Alex has that information,” Michael told her. “I’ll give Valkyrie a call after dinner.”

“Right, I know,” she agreed. “So Max and Liz will hide out in New York? For how long?”

“That has yet to be seen. They need to stay off the radar.”

“Yeah. What happens if they’re located? I mean, they’re on their own, they don’t have anyone watching their backs.”

He looked at her for a long time. “We don’t have anyone to send after them.”

“No, I know.” She fell silent for a while, eating and paying no mind to the conversation going on around the table.
Fics: A Xmas Story - A Merry Mt. R. Xmas - Cupid's Revenge - Double Trouble - Double Date - Double Dare - Double Empire - Double Xmas Wish - In The Course Of A Lifetime - Mountains So High - Not A Question At All - Surrender - TIC TAC - Two Double Dates at Xmas
begonia9508
Roswell Fanatic

Re: THE ASSASSIN - AU/CC/Adult - Part 37 - 10/11/15

Post by begonia9508 »

Another great part and I have the feeling that things are going to be better for them, now that they have some clues, thanks Alex! :D

Looking for more - EVE :mrgreen:
Last edited by begonia9508 on Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Les jouissances de l'esprit sont faites pour calmer les orages du coeur!
- On reconnaît le bonheur au bruit qu'il fait quand il s'en va!
- L'amour vous rend aveugle et le mariage vous redonne la vue!
Roswelllostcause
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Roswelllostcause »

More questions are being raised now.
Check out my Author page for a list of my fics!

http://www.roswellfanatics.net/viewtopi ... 1&t=155639
L-J-L 76
Roswell Fanatic

Post by L-J-L 76 »

Can you please tell what is going on with Max and Liz? Are they safe? Are Max and Liz going back to see Maria and Michael? Are Max and Liz in hiding?

L-J-L 76
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Poor Alex..........he hates cold showers.
Thanks,
Carolyn
Eva
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Eva »

Val is a very special woman. Just as Michael, she is a product of her past. But Alex will counter her as nothing before. I like his interactions and the way he tries to stand up for him and for her.
Take a look at Eva's world
sarammlover
Addicted Roswellian

Post by sarammlover »

Oh Alex.....the roles are completely reversed right now....he is the one with all the emotions and Val is the one who is completely (well not completely anymore) detached. I think Alex is going to break her down and she will finally see what it's like to be able to depend on someone else emotionally!

Love how strong and hilarious Kyle and Tess are. THose two crack me up. Glad she was able to talk some sense into Michael about laying down and resting a bit. Michael is SO stubborn!
Great job!
Double Trouble
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 38

Post by Double Trouble »

begonia9508: Thanks! Alex has played a very big part in their ability to access and collect information on The Circle.

Roswelllostcause: Lol, that’s a trend that may continue for a while.

L-J-L 76: As soon as they check in with us we’ll let you know. ;) Last we heard they were following Val’s orders and going somewhere that hopefully they won’t be found.

keepsmiling7: He sure does, lol.

Eva: Yeah, that’s one word for Val, lol. She might be able to handle anything that comes at her in the form of other assassins or dangers, but she’s not really armed to take on the softer emotions that Alex is awakening in her. She wants more than what she has in this life, but she really has no clue how to reach out for it. Good thing Alex doesn’t know how to give up easily.

sarammlover: Alex is just the man for the job, too! He and Val balance each other out but she’s not capable of seeing that right now.

Kyle and Tess... what can we say? We love them too! They’re a riot and they’re a force to be reckoned with for sure. Yeah, there’s no denying that Michael’s stubborn to the power of infinity. Thanks!

Part 38

Michael could feel his strength coming back gradually and with it the growing agitation at having his space invaded for too long. He was used to being on his own, used to dealing with whatever situation he found himself in without the aid of anyone else, and he was beginning to feel penned in. It wasn’t a good feeling. While he appreciated Kyle and Tess coming out, putting themselves in harm’s way to help, he needed his space.

Tess could be overbearing but over the years he’d learned to just ignore that part of her personality. She was bossy as her husband reminded her whenever it suited him, but since it seemed to be some form of foreplay for them, it really didn’t matter. He brushed her off when her examination of his back took longer than he wanted and he pulled his shirt on, forcing his face to remain still when the material caught on the stitches and dragged over them. The incision was healing but it was still tender and it would be for a while.

“Well, in spite of your surly mood, I’d have to say you’re healing fairly quickly,” she said when he escaped her clutches once again.

“I’ve always healed quickly,” he snapped.

She sighed and tossed the gloves in the trash before going to wash her hands. It had been more than a full day since she and Kyle had arrived and she could see the signs of restlessness in the man standing at the window. His dark eyes were hooded as he stared out into the darkness. He was cagey, feeling closed in, and she knew how much he hated inactivity. She didn’t take it personally; she was familiar with that feeling. It was part of the reason she and Kyle lived out in the middle of nowhere.

“I know you hate extended visits, but let’s give it one more day. I want to make sure there’s no sign of infection before we haul ass outta here.”

He nodded reluctantly and looked at her over his shoulder. “Make sure Maria’s okay too.”

“She’s well on her way to recovering. I’ll do another ultrasound before we leave. The last thing you want is for her to end up with compartment syndrome out here in the middle of nowhere.”

“She has to survive,” he muttered in agreement, more to himself than to her. His whole life he’d spent killing people, for once he wanted to protect an innocent even if it meant paying with his life.

“Have you given any thought to what happens to her when this’s all over? Or what happens to you?”

“No, it’s too early for that.”

She nodded, accepting his answer for what it was. She had survived two tours overseas and she’d quickly learned that making long-term plans was for fools. Getting through the day was all that mattered when you were in the zone. She and Kyle had gotten out of the zone, but it had taken a long time before they’d been able to see beyond the day to day survival they had grown accustomed to. “Is there anything else we can do to help? Maybe we could get our hands on that will if Alex can find the key.”

“You should head back home.” he said seriously. “I mean it, Tess. You guys get outta this an’ hopefully no one will suspect you of helping us.”

“You think we care about that? You know better than to think we’d just leave you in the crosshairs if there’s anything we can do to help.” She rolled her shoulders and refused to back down when he turned and glared at her. “The odds aren’t stacked in your favor.”

“Don’t you think I know that?”

“But you still won’t let us help.”

“I don’t wanna fuck the two of you up, Tess. That’s all.”

She sighed and shook her head. “Y’know, when Kyle was shot down over that jungle and he was held in that shithole camp and left to die,” she swallowed with difficulty. “Our own government denied knowledge of any mission involving American military and they scrubbed the rescue mission because of fucking political relations. You went in after him against orders and on your own. You leveled that hellhole and you carried him outta there, broken and bleeding so badly it’s a miracle he survived.” She shook her head. “We have an interest in seein’ you come outta this alive, that’s all I’m sayin’.”

“I was alone, Tess. I had nothing to lose. You guys have something that I’m not willing to take away from you.”

“We’ll respect your wishes.” She nodded and pushed away from the counter, heading for the doorway to leave the room. “But I think you’re wrong.”

He chuckled. “That’s new.”

Kyle waited until his wife had left and a few moments later he heard her talking to Maria in the living room. He stepped out of the shadows of the hallway, crossing the kitchen to pull a couple of beers out of the refrigerator. He slid one across the counter towards Michael, smirking when he caught it without even looking. “It pisses her off caring about you sometimes,” he said with a quiet laugh.

“I appreciate your help, I really do, but I don’t wanna drag you any further into this, Kyle.”

He nodded and took a long drink of his beer. “Thing is, I understand that. Deep down, she does too, but bein’ a woman it gets tangled up with emotion.”

“Women.”

“Yeah, go figure. I wouldn’t change ‘er though.”

“You two have a good life,” Michael nodded with approval. “Make sure you make the most of it.”

“We do,” he said seriously. “Every damn day.”

“Good. That’s good.”

He set his beer down and crossed his arms over his chest. “I know you’ve never been the kinda guy that wanted to settle down with just one woman, but when it’s the right one it tends to change the way you look at things.”

“An’ you’re tellin’ me this why?”

He shrugged. “Just thought maybe it might be pertinent.”

Michael eyed him. “I’ll protect her but when the times come, I’ll let her go.”

Kyle nodded. His friend believed what he was saying but somehow he had his doubts it would be that easy. “Okay.” He checked his watch. “If you’re up for keepin’ an eye on things I think I’ll see if I can talk my woman into slippin’ into somethin’ more comfortable and pretending we’re alone for a while.” She’d need that connection after letting the memories of his captivity surface. And to be perfectly honest, he needed it too. Those were dark days and no matter how far in the back of his mind they were, they still haunted him.

“Go for it, but do it quietly.”

“Buddy, need I remind you that I walked in on you an’ Val in a very compromising position? At least we have the decency to keep it behind closed doors when we have company.”

“No I did not need that reminder.”

Kyle nodded and grinned as he waved over his shoulder. “Night watch is on you.” He walked into the living room and rested his hands on his wife’s shoulders as he leaned over the couch to whisper, “It’s time for us to get naked and hit the sheets, woman.” He nipped her earlobe and squeezed her shoulders, grinning when she turned her head to look at him.

“I heard there’s a hot tub.”

“Y’know, I heard that same rumor.” His right hand trailed down, grazing the side of her breast.

“Let’s go then.”

He took her hand and pulled her to her feet, not releasing her as she skirted around the end of the couch. “Maria,” he acknowledged the other woman with a smile, “have a good night.”

“You too,” she nodded.

“No other kind.” He was a happily married man and he wasn’t ashamed to let people know it.

Maria’s eyes followed the couple when they left the room. It was weird, they were both brave bad ass people, but you could almost see the love they felt for each other.

Michael’s gaze strayed to her, watching her until she sighed and looked away from the doorway. “Don’t start getting ideas,” he warned.

She frowned and turned her head to look at him over the back of the couch. “What do you mean?”

“If we make it outta this alive I’ll disappear again.” He shrugged unapologetically and nodded at the door his friends had disappeared through. “I don’t do that.”

She tried to look as if she didn’t care but the truth was it stung. IF they survived, she wouldn’t have anyone left to lean on. “I know that.”

He wasn’t buying it. “Do you?” She’d spent most of her life being denied what she craved most and when this thing was over – IF they made it out alive – she’d be left alone.

“If we survive, you’re gonna leave. I got the message.” Stubbornly, she turned and stared at the TV, having no clue what she was even watching.

He smirked at her rigid posture, somewhere between defiant and defeated, and he leaned over the couch, snatching up the remote and switching over to one of the channels that showed nothing but skin flicks.

“Seriously?” she asked, annoyed.

“Why not?” he asked conversationally. He tipped his head to one side, trying to get a better view of the chick.

If he had to ask then he didn’t even deserve a reply. “I’m gonna lie down again.”

His eyebrows lifted. “What, no argument tonight?” Usually she gave him an earful about the crap he watched.

“Watch your stupid porn if that’s what ya need. I won’t prevent you from doing it.” She waved him off while she got up carefully with the icepack pressed to her thigh.

Well, that just took all the fun out of it. He turned the TV off and wandered into the kitchen, grabbing a beer and then shadowing her as she moved around. “Goin’ back to bed?”

“Yeah, so?”

He shrugged. “Just askin’.”

“Already had enough?”

“Seen it before.” For some inexplicable reason he got more out of his banter with her than he got out of watching the movies. He didn’t get it, but why question it.

“So what’re you gonna do now?” She leaned her back against the counter while taking a drink to wash down some of the pills Tess had given her for… whatever.

“I dunno.” His eyes wandered over her. She was limping around when she was mobile, bruised like she’d gone ten rounds with a heavyweight champ, rumpled from being in bed and feeling like shit, and he still found her attractive. It defied logic.

She felt his eyes and shifted slightly, feeling a combination of heat and embarrassment at his obvious stare.

“You should get back to bed.” He ran a hand over the back of his neck. If he didn’t get her back into bed soon he was gonna make a move she wasn’t ready for. The last thing he needed in this situation was for Tess to have to do emergency surgery on her leg. “Harding said you needed to keep it iced and elevated for a while.”

“Yeah, I’m just taking my pills, brushing my teeth and then heading back.”

He nodded. “I’ll be up once they’ve got it outta their system.”

“Okay.” She didn’t know what to say.

He didn’t wait for her to find her tongue. He groaned at that thought and pushed away from the counter, heading out to make his rounds. If he stood there much longer he wasn’t going to be able to keep his hands to himself. He rolled his shoulders and winced at the painful pull that reminded him he’d had surgery less than twenty-four hours ago.

Valkyrie took point as they infiltrated the compound. It was eerily silent as they crossed the grounds. She refused to allow her gaze to shift to the two-acre section housed on the grounds; a cemetery that was listed as a historical landmark in order to preserve it and explain why it was barricaded by an eight-foot electric fence that was strung with razor wire to prevent anyone from climbing over it. It hadn’t taken much work to discover that there was no historical significance to the old cemetery. She supposed it was appropriate that The Circle’s research facility would have found a way to bury their dead without question.

Between her skills and Alex’ they had managed to get past the fence with minimal damage and taking out the cameras had been easy thanks to the storm that had moved in. They had waited for the storm, determining it would make it infinitely easier to disrupt the security system without raising too many red flags. They reached the panel Alex needed to access and she watched as he made the necessary connections, tapping into the system and hacking his way into the monstrous generator that provided power in the event of a power outage.

“We’re in,” he said after what felt like forever. “The generator will go offline in three minutes.” He quickly disengaged from the panel and put the tablet and connectors in his backpack.

When he’d uncovered the location of The Circle’s research facility Valkyrie had insisted they had to get inside the compound. It had taken time for him to access the security protocols and figure out how to bypass them. If they got caught inside the compound it was all over. It would be hard enough breaking in, but breaking back out after getting caught? He didn’t even want to contemplate what an impossible feat that would be.

Alex pulled out the keycard he’d just finished programming and handed it to her. “If it worked we should be able to access everything we need.”

Valkyrie nodded. “You’re sure about the shifts?”

The guards would be changing shifts just as the generator shut down, giving them enough time to get inside and access the records vault. “Yeah. It should take them less than three minutes to get the generator back online and then we have exactly twenty minutes to get what we need before it goes offline again. When that happens – “

“I know, four minutes to get back out. Got it.” She checked her watch and when the 00:00 flashed she swiped her card over the reader. For a moment the light remained red and then it blinked twice and turned green. “We’re in.”

“Hallway to the right, all the way down. Take the stairs down the basement level. The guard on that hallway should be out of the way for the shift change. The generator will shut down and then we go down that hall to the left and the vault’s in the next to last room on the right.”

“Let’s go.” Just as they reached the basement level there was a loud popping sound followed by a loud hum and then they were suddenly surrounded by pitch black silence. They could hear the rushed footsteps as the guards left their posts and they quickly faded away.

The tension was palpable as they waited for the generator to kick in again and as the lights came back on, leaving them completely visible, she swiped the card again and they entered the room. She glanced around and her eyes locked on the vault. Another swipe of the card and they were inside. She nodded at Alex and he pulled the heavy door closed behind them, locking them inside.

“There’s nowhere to hide in here if someone comes in,” he muttered as he looked around.

“Whoever comes in won’t have a chance to take a breath,” she told him.

He nodded and looked around at the file cabinets before focusing on the computer set up on one wall. “I’ll see if I can get in and copy the files over. You wanna check the cabinets, see if maybe there’re hard copies for you and Michael?”

For a moment she glared at him, ready to tell that she was the one giving the orders, but she bit her inner cheek and nodded sharply.

He sat down and cracked his knuckles before going to work. He forced his concentration to stay focused on the screen and cracking the password to access the system. They seemed to favor Latin and that narrowed the options down, but it also cut into their window of opportunity because his grasp of the language was limited and he had to keep checking his translator. He punched in yet another one and he punched the air when it was accepted. “I’m in.”

“Good,” she muttered going from one cabinet to the other, “because they’re all empty.”

“Weird,” he mumbled as he navigated from one screen to the next, taking the time to cover his tracks.

“What’s weird?”

He glanced at her and shrugged. “Oh, that the cabinets are empty. Why bother having them in here taking up space if they’re not bein’ used?” He clicked on a folder and shook his head when a box flashed on the screen. ACCESS DENIED. “Okay, fine, you go on the external just as you are.” He copied the folder over and moved on to the next one. It opened with no problem and he scanned the contents before closing it and moving it to the external too.

“Find anything interesting yet?” She went to him when her search turned out to be useless. Checking her watch, she gave him a nudge. “Hurry up.”

“There are two files left to copy.” The first one copied in seconds but the last one was large. “How long do we have?”

“Ten.”

“It’s gonna be close but we can’t leave this one.”

She sighed while she stared at the door. “We don’t take the risk, if it’s not done, we go.”

“Val, look at the folder’s name,” he insisted. “Sicariorum? According to the translator that’s Latin for assassins. This folder probably has...” he trailed off. She’d made no bones about the fact that she didn’t care what her past was. She’d make him leave it if it came down to it. “It could contain everything they did to you.”

“And who’s it gonna help if we’re dead and the information doesn’t leave this building?”

He winced at her sharp question and nodded. “Understood.”

Her nails tapped impatiently on the metal of his chair while they waited. This waiting sucked.

“That doesn’t make it go any faster.”

“So?”

He shook his head and tapped into the security system while he was waiting for the file to transfer. If the generator went offline again before the file was finished they’d lose their opportunity. His gaze jumped from one screen to the next, keeping an eye on where all of the security guards were between them and their exit.

“Three minutes,” she told him.

He just nodded and began backing out of the system. He checked the progress meter. If everything went right it should be done in just under two minutes.

“If we get outta here we need to find something to eat.” She made a face when her stomach rumbled through the silence.

“Yeah, food’s good.” They’d driven most of the day to get to the compound’s location. “Tamping down the adrenaline levels sounds good too.” He shot a grin at her over his shoulder.

“I don’t know what you’re referring to.”

His gaze moved over her and he shook his head. “That’s a damn shame,” he said before turning back to the screen. “Thirty seconds and we’re outta here.”

“45 and we have to be.”

He nodded and watched the progress meter as it moved closer to the completion mark. When it finally flashed a 100% Complete on the screen he quickly shut the external down and removed it. He closed everything out and returned to the home screen just as the lights flickered and went out. “The guard should be on his way to check out the power outage.”

“Come on then,” she dragged him from his chair.

“You’re always draggin’ me around,” he muttered as she pulled him to the door. “Maybe you could try draggin’ me into a bed.”

“Shhhh,” she silenced him and opened the door, walking along the hallway quickly although it was pitch dark.

They stuck close to the wall as they moved to the steps and then quietly and quickly made their way up to the ground level. His hand tightened around the grip of the gun that had become an extension of his body since being drafted into this situation. Well, honestly, he’d volunteered, hadn’t he? He followed her lead as they slipped out of the building, sticking to the shadows as they moved back towards the fence.

“Be careful,” she hissed when he stumbled lightly.

“Y’know, I’m doin’ pretty good for a guy with no formal spy training,” he bit out.

“You are,” she didn’t deny it.

He nodded, accepting her agreement without question.

They made it past the fence without any problems, but Val suddenly froze when she heard a sound. Her arm came behind her to push Alex right behind her while her eyes scanned the area.

Alex followed her gaze, trying to see what she sensed was out there. “What is it?”

“Down,” she hissed and pressed him to the ground just as a bullet whistled through the cold air. The grass was high and provided some cover, but their enemy had an idea of their location and it wouldn’t take long for him or her to take a better shot. “You crawl left,” she instructed. “And keep your head down.”

“Crawl left,” he muttered to himself as he belly crawled through the soaking wet grass. The storm was great cover for sneaking in and out, but damn, it was cold and wet and now he was sliding through the mud. This was not as interesting as it looked on TV.

She rolled her eyes and went the other way, hoping that Alex wasn’t giving away his position.

Reaper took his time scoping out his target, following the movement of the tall grass as it took on a pattern. “Um-hmm, there you are, you little bastard.” He chuckled to himself and lined the target up in the crosshairs. Maybe he’d just play with him for a while, just wing him and then go after Valkyrie. He inhaled slowly and squeezed the trigger, nodding when the bullet hit the target with unerring accuracy. “That should keep you busy for a few minutes.” He shifted and turned to find the rogue assassin.

Alex bit his lip hard to not cry out in pain when something hit his thigh and a stinging pain shot through his whole body. FUCK! He had been hit! FUCK!
Fics: A Xmas Story - A Merry Mt. R. Xmas - Cupid's Revenge - Double Trouble - Double Date - Double Dare - Double Empire - Double Xmas Wish - In The Course Of A Lifetime - Mountains So High - Not A Question At All - Surrender - TIC TAC - Two Double Dates at Xmas