Twined Roads (AU, CC, Adult) ch. 38 - 08/13/16

This is the place to post stories that significantly alter the show's canon or mythology such as prequels, backgrounds for the characters that differ from on the show, fics where different characters are alien, and alternative family relationships. These fics must contain aliens or alien storylines as part of their plot.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Hunter, Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

Eva
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Twined Roads (AU, CC, Adult) A/N 3/22/15

Post by Eva »

@ Eve: I’ll send Isabel to you whenever you’ve got a car problem. Lol.

That temperament of Maria will hit the roof in this chapter.

I didn’t know you were European and that you lived so close to me! Well… close, in American terms it isn’t that far away. We go by the way quit a lot to the Black Forest and that’s on the way to your hometown!

@ Sara: Yeah, this story took a whole other turn that the original. That strength in numbers will be very important in the future.

@ Carolyn: Max & Liz feel good together and they’re not afraid to show that to each other. They aren’t those teenagers anymore. They’re far in their twenties and they have some life experience to count on, even when it wasn’t always that good.

A/N: A new chapter as Easter present together with a beautiful Dreamer’s moment! Hope you’ll enjoy!
This chapter has references to first season’s ‘White Room’ and second season’s ‘Ask Not’ in it.
The song used is Nobody's wife from Anouk.

Chapter thirty-two

Lazily he tried feeding her a strawberry. His hand lingered before her mouth, even backing off a bit the moment she wanted to take a bite. The pretend pout made him repeat his banter a couple of times. His laughter warmed her heart but that didn’t stop her from teasing him back by poking her finger in his sides.

“Stop, stop!”

But Liz didn’t listen to his demand to cease fire. With a wicked smile on her face, she playfully went on with her attack. Forcing him to bring in the big guns.

Max really couldn’t stand being tickled and needed to restrain himself to keep from struggling wildly. But he didn’t want to give her that satisfaction either.

“Gotcha!” With one hand he grabbed her wrists and held her in place.

“Seems to me that the berries are all mine now.” Devilishly he winked at her while stuffing a large one in his mouth, just before her eyes.

Liz glared at the berry disappearing into his mouth, licking her lips in desire. Though her reaction wasn’t meant to be erotic, Max felt the atmosphere change within seconds. With brooding eyes he stared at her, taking every little detail of her face in. God, she was beautiful! She always had been. But back then she had been off limits. And now…

Their first kiss had only happened Thursday evening but after the drama this morning it seemed to be ages ago. Bewitched he forgot the world around him. Finally aware of his gaze, her eyes wandered in return and they connected with his in no time. The love he read in her expression finally awakened him. Softly he let his right hand roam around her face, his fingers leaving a light trail on her skin. And she let him, savoring his touch.

Her arms crept slowly around his neck. Heartwarmingly she smiled at him, encouraging him to go on. But when she met his eyes again, her heart crushed when she saw the broad palette of emotions. Love, affection, tenderness, surprise, doubt and despair. They alternated at such a high speed that she held her breath.

How could she have ever thought he was unable to communicate with others? That he should take communication classes? While in fact she could see his whole soul in his dark brown eyes? They were like deep pools reflecting every emotion he harbored inside. How had she been that blind? Or maybe he had never opened up to anybody else as he did right now, with her? And his vulnerability struck home.

On impulse she tightened her grip around his shoulders, pulling him into a warm embrace.
Her silent compassion took him by surprise and Max buried his face in the curve of her neck. Inhaling her sweet fragrance, a scent that was so typically Liz. Feeling things he had never felt before.

God, he could lie there forever!

When he felt her fidgeting under him to find a more comfortable position beneath his large frame, he knew he had to roll over. Relaxed he found a place next to her, his hands linked behind his head. Once in a while he opened his eyes. Just to see that Liz was still lying next to him. Making sure he wasn’t dreaming though logically he knew she was there. Hell, he even felt her snuggling against him.

When he had verified her presence for the umpteenth time, she couldn’t help but smile. “What is it, Max?”

Blissful he sighed: “Last week I made the best decision in ages.”

When he detected the scowl on her forehead, he explained himself immediately. “You know, telling you the truth.”

“Which I forced you to do,” Liz bantered.

“True,” he admitted with a smile, “but nevertheless, one of the best things that happened to me. I lost so much time being alone. We all did.”

“Why did you?” she questioned with interest.

He shrugged his shoulders. “We really didn’t know where we came from. But there was no doubt that we were different. When they found us we didn’t even speak English, we somehow communicated without words. But we weren’t stupid either. We saw it in every single thing in our lives, on television, in adult conversation, in the tourists visiting Roswell… People weren’t ready for us. You just have to glance at the boards in the Roswell Center. Mankind is afraid of everything that’s different. They even slice the aliens open in films.”

A shiver ran down his spine. “We knew we had to hide ourselves. But it’s lonely when you can’t share your life, when you always have to tiptoe around people because you can’t reveal who you really are.”

“Not even with your parents?”

A restrained pain made his face grimace. The regret in his voice was explicit when he declined. “No.”

His eyes drifted away, looking for a point in the skyline which wasn’t even there. “Isabel hated us for that. That’s why she flipped the way she did. And truthfully? I can’t blame her.”

“There’s something to say about both of your stands.” She softly touched his hand. “You are you and she just thinks about it differently.” Liz cocked her head a bit. “Did you notice the same attitude with Tess?”

Max nodded.

“How do you feel about her? About what she said?”

He hesitated. “I’m not sure yet. Have to think it through first. And that’s another reason why I’m so glad I told you. Without you I would be brooding over it non-stop, wearing out the carpet under my feet.”

Liz couldn’t help but laugh out loud when she imagined his vivid metaphor.

“But instead of going nuts about every possible detail, there’s something I want to do first.”

With the ease of a wild puma he rolled over her and captured her mouth in one easy motion. His sudden display of his feelings took her off guard. But just for a nanosecond. She answered his kiss with an ease that kept surprising him. Her passion made his blood boil; unveiling feelings he never had discovered before. Like she kept ramming in doors to a place he had banished from his thoughts ages ago. The fire starting in his heart set him ablaze.

Between two kisses they both caught a breath. Bewitched they couldn’t help staring at each other, drowning in each other’s eyes. And those eyes twinkled as never before. Saying more than their owners ever could.

Eventually it was Liz who spoke up. Tenderly she let her fingers trail along the lines of his cheekbone. “Whoa! Where’s the man who wanted to take it step by step?”

Warmhearted he laughed out loud. “The other day he encountered a girl who said he needed to live a bit more.”

Liz’s “Smart girl!” was immediately silenced by an ardent kiss which made her forget the world around her.

Hungry for more their bodies collided in a play of fingers and kisses. Fingers crawled under clothing in a passionate quest to explore the other with insatiable greed. Their mouths followed those finger trails.

“Get a room!”

The yell called by a group of youngsters driving by in an open car, made them stop. The abrupt break made them look in each other’s eyes. Just for a second. And then the amusement took over, making them both burst out laughing after seeing the humor in the moment.

The last five minutes had been more than silent. The minute they had climbed in the van, Kyle had locked himself up in his own mind, steering on autopilot. A stern look on his face while grabbing the wheel with tight, white knuckles.

The silence creeped her out. Tess didn’t know Kyle that well but she did know that this wasn’t normal. The other occasions he had enjoyed small-talk. Joking around even seemed to be his second nature.

Before her adoption she couldn’t care less what anybody thought about her. Nasedo had taught her not to get wrapped up in what he had called ‘human crap’. She could still hear his toneless indoctrinating voice: “Emotions are a weakness. Humans are weak – which doesn’t bother me – and wasteful. Their brains are incredible machines they haven’t even begun to use. It's not really who you are. You’re not human. You’re engineered.”

With a short pull of her head she tried to shake the bad memories off. It had taken her years to see the beauty of emotions, the happy and the sad ones. Thanks to her mom, the kind-hearted Ellen Harding. Her heart warmed when she thought back to the way that woman had fought for her, no matter how many times she had rejected her. In all absurdity it had been a woman, one of those despicable humans according to Nasedo, who had given her a home. A warm place where she had been able to discover herself. A place where she had found a balance between her alien and human side.

And now that human side played up, crushing her heart in the process but at the same time making her feel alive too.

Kyle stopped his van in front of her hotel but she didn’t notice. Her attention was drawn solely to the man next to her. His hard profile made her worry.

“Kyle?”

“What?” he snapped, almost biting her head off.

Normally that would provoke an equal reaction out of her but now Tess just remained concerned. This wasn’t one of the quarrels with her brothers. So softly she said, “Are you ok?”

“What do you want me to say? That I’m happy? Thrilled from joy and excitement because I met some aliens? Well, I’m not.” He bit out again.

When she stayed quiet, his last straw broke. “Listen! This...this whole aliens-are-among-us thing...it is really screwing me up...endangering my home and family… making me question stuff...life, reality, my place in this universe...and you don't understand. You...you guys...you people turn our life upside down. I need a little clarity. I need a little peace of mind.”

His offensive rant made her blood boil and without thinking it through, she threw it all back in his face. “No, I don't understand. I'm a girl from another planet. The man I grew up with was an insane resentful Antarian who screwed me up for five years. Thank God I ran into the arms of the woman I call my mom now. But I’m still searching for who I am. There are only three other people like me in the world and I met them today. You're right, Kyle. What would I know about needing some peace of mind?”

Her face indicating the storm in her, Tess grabbed her belongings, slipped out of the car and slammed the door behind her. Leaving a completely taken aback Kyle in the van. In all his misery, doubts and fears he had never realized that she might be going through a lot of stuff too.

“Sorry.” Out of frustration he slammed his right hand against his steering wheel. Damn it!”

Snuggling deeper into his embrace, she inhaled his scent. His fragrance was like a perfume to her. Familiar, comforting, her Michael. Her and Emily’s. Closing her eyes she thought back to the first moment she had met Emily. And what the heart thinks, the mouth speaks. Surely when it’s about Maria. So like a waterfall she said what was on her mind. “I fell in love with her from day one. She was hardly a couple of hours old and she stole my heart the minute I saw her.”

Astonished by the – for him – out of the blue comment, he didn’t react immediately. But then he nodded in understanding. When Hannah had been born, he had felt exactly the same way. It just surprised him that she felt so warm about a child that wasn’t hers biologically. “Why did you want to adopt her? Or any child?” he specified.

Laying her head against shoulder, she went back in time. “Call me egoistical but I wanted a counterpart against the busy life I was living. I wanted a home, a real life. Everything was so hectic at the moment. After my first real hit, it all got so crazy.”

Gently he played with his fingers on her arm, leaving invisible traces behind. “Which was that?”

“Was what?”

She was so enjoying his touches that she couldn’t think straight anymore. Michael smiled before clarifying himself. “The hit.”

“Oh, I broke through with ‘Nobody’s Wife’.”

“Is that yours? Didn’t know that.” He smirked and mused out loud. “Nobody’s Wife, huh?”

“That’s right, mister!” Maria radiated. The title and lyrics had matched her life like no other song had before. But now, sitting here with Michael, that title seemed odd. So she cuddles her back into his warm arms.

After a couple of minutes chewing on the matter, he just spit out. “Did you meet Court?”

“Yeah, I did.” She nodded.

“And?”

“What: and?” Maria looked behind her to see his face. “Do you want to know what I thought about her?”

“No, no.”

She could hear his hesitation when he finally managed to get it out. “Did she drop my name?”

To her regret she had to decline. “No, sorry. The only thing she said was that the relationship had stranded a couple of weeks before she learned about the pregnancy. She hid it away, thinking that you wouldn’t agree to it. That it would ruin any chance of getting back to you.”

Michael buried his face in her neck. Muffled he whispered. “God, she was wrong. So wrong!”

Becoming part of a family had always been his biggest desire, like ever. Certainly when it turned out that they would never find a connection to their origins. In an effort to comfort him, she wrapped her arms around him, pulling him even closer to her body.

Softly she whispered in his ear. “You’ve got that second chance now. What a coincidence our roads twined. That you were there to save Emily. Maybe even saving yourself.”

“Yeah, right.”

He said it with so much cynicism that it made her eyebrows pull down in a frown. “Michael?”

When he didn’t answer her, Maria cocked her head and tried to make eye contact. But even before she could see his expression, she felt him stiffen, withdrawing into himself.

“You really don’t wanna know.” His spikes came up on autopilot. So he tried dismissing the matter, brushing her off verbally and even literally when he released himself from her embrace.

But that didn’t deter her. In one flowing movement Maria stood and approached him. The palm of her hand softly touched his shoulder. “Let me decide that.”

“You don’t.”

His empty voice gave her the creeps. She could just see him putting his walls back up as they spoke. She even felt it when his muscles tightened under her touch. Liz and Max had warned her about his legendary way of withdrawing from the world. Something she had bypassed the evening of his meltdown. The need to hide himself had simply disappeared after he had unintentionally shown her his soul. But now she witnessed his stone wall from the front row and although it was quite impressive, she didn’t want to cave for it.

Eventually he just threw it out. “I wasn’t there by accident. I had been following Emily already for a couple of days before that…”

“What?”

The image that some stranger from the shadows had been lurking after her daughter for days made her flesh creep. All of the sudden that thought changed everything for her. Feeling like she was stung by a bee, she let loose. There were so many thoughts screaming in her head that she did the first thing she could think about: she walked out.

Michael didn’t even look at her. As a frozen statue he remained in place, his head bowed over his crossed arms.
Take a look at Eva's world
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Twined Roads (AU, CC, Adult)CH 32, 04/05/2015

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Love Max and Liz together.......and him checking to make sure she is still there with him.
Great part,
Carolyn
sarammlover
Addicted Roswellian

Post by sarammlover »

Well luckily one of our couples has it figured out....good for max and liz. Such a sweet moment for the two of them. And I feel bad for both Kyle and Tess....neither knowing anything and now knowing everything. I hope Tess get an apology from Kyle and listens to it. And Michael, you bone head! No more walls. Maria should not have walked out. She should have stayed and listened.....I am patiently awaiting the next update!
Eva
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Eva »

Author's note:

I'm very sorry for the delay. A new course that I need to work out almost from scratch is putting spikes in the wheels. I'm hoping to return in June.
begonia9508
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Twined Roads (AU, CC, Adult) A/N , 05/19/2015

Post by begonia9508 »

Hey Eva! Thanks for the fantastic part!

And I really appreciate having a Tess who isn't planing the end of the World! :shock: :lol:

Of course, they are all shocked about what they learned but it is not so bad; they are all together and should make front to save Emily, even the stupid ass Michael! I just hope he comes back and explain what's really happened with Emily's mother!

Max and Liz are so sweet... and Isabel, I am so pleased that she got to do with Alex! He is not going to accept her way of thinking! Ah the Ice queen!!! Well done, guy! :wink:

Thanks! Waiting for more! EVE :mrgreen:

PS Are you talking about la "Black Forrest" in Germany? Not so far for me but too touristic!

Anyway, in my presentation message, I wrote "somewhere in chocolat land" and it should have given you a clue where I come from; my people are the ones who eat most chocolate in the world and I think last year was 12 kg pro person! :lol: :wink:
Last edited by begonia9508 on Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Les jouissances de l'esprit sont faites pour calmer les orages du coeur!
- On reconnaît le bonheur au bruit qu'il fait quand il s'en va!
- L'amour vous rend aveugle et le mariage vous redonne la vue!
Eva
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Twined Roads (AU, CC, Adult) A/N , 06/21/2015

Post by Eva »

Just a little note to say that I restarted writing! Thanks for waiting on me!
begonia9508
Roswell Fanatic

Post by begonia9508 »

Looking and waiting for more! EVE :wink: :mrgreen:
- Les jouissances de l'esprit sont faites pour calmer les orages du coeur!
- On reconnaît le bonheur au bruit qu'il fait quand il s'en va!
- L'amour vous rend aveugle et le mariage vous redonne la vue!
Eva
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Eva »

@ Carolyn: Thank you!

@ Sara:
You’re right about almost everything you wrote: Kyle surely needs to apologize to Tess. He worked off all his frustrations on her, which wasn’t correct. Will Tess listen though? I don’t know, she’s a strong woman too. But I surely hope she will. And the same goes to Maria. Should she have stayed? Of course, no doubt about it. But on the other hand, she stays a mom, who will protect her daughter like a mother-hen her little chicks. At this moment Max & Liz seem to be the only ones living on a happy cloud right now.

@ Eve:
This Tess grew up in a totally different context: she experienced the alien and human stuff and she knows the pro’s and cons. She learned to make a difference between them and that makes her a much stronger and likable person.
Michael will stay Michael, that’s just the way he is. But I believe he can change and take his life back in his own hands. If he’s willing to take the step, that is

Sorry that I missed your pointers. I really didn’t get it because Belgium is also known for his chocolates. I never been to Switzerland but I think it’s beautiful. Just as “Schwarswald” if you can look behind the tourist traps and go to little villages hidden in the woods. I’m a hiker myself and I love to wander through little roads in the woods.

A/N: I'm late, I know it and I'm very sorry. Life just took over but I'm happy to send in my newest chapter. Hope that there is anyone still out there to read it! Enjoy!

Chapter 33

Looking over her cup of hot coffee, her eyes wandered to the cottage. Much to her relief she saw the lights turned on. He was still there. Michael hadn’t left.

Her beeping cell snatched her back to reality. Without looking away from the little house, she grabbed her smartphone on the counter. On autopilot she quickly pushed it open to reveal the incoming message.

StayD W r folks. evrytings QL. Em S doiN gr8. Wil brng her W me. Kyle

Her eyes rolled when she read her brother’s cryptic message. He sure didn’t use a letter too many. At least it meant one less worry. Maria had a rough night behind her. One where she lay awake, contemplating everything that had happened from back to front and back again. When her clock radio had indicated 6 AM, she had been relieved. With wary eyes she had gone directly to the kitchen for a much welcomed cup of coffee. A cup of comfort after a heavy night.

Her eyes drifted back to the house. It always came back to one thing. Or person. Michael.

Maria had thought she had known him. She had seen him, his soul, his life. Or would he have messed with her head? Letting her only see the good things? That thought sounded unbelievable, even in her own mind. “Yeah right, there hadn’t been any good in his life,” she snorted out loud. His life hadn’t been a walk in the park. Far from it actually. And yet… What kind of adult man kept glaring at a child he had randomly seen on the street? Even stalking her from the shadows?

A guy who had just seen the spitting image of his own lost daughter?

That thought kept blaring in her head, like the refrain of a catchy and hideous pop song on auto play. Had she jumped to conclusions?

A pair of eyes peered through the morning dawn at the main house. Roughly he drew his left hand through his hair before grabbing the mug behind him. Without even blinking a second, he kept his view focused on the house while having his first taste. He grimaced. Not sweet enough. With his right hand he snatched the sugar bowl, tossed the spoon aside and just poured it crudely into his cup before adding a gush of Tabasco. During the whole routine, his gaze staying focused on its target. He put the mug back to his lips. Mmm, that’s how coffee should taste. Sweet and spicy.

Michael saw the lights going on in the kitchen. She was up! It somehow eased his mind. She hadn’t run away to her parents or Liz. Maria was still here. And he would do the same fucking thing, he was going nowhere. After all the bullshit that had happened yesterday, he had learnt one thing: this was his only chance to do the right thing, to make a difference. In his life and in the ones of the people he loved. And he would take that opportunity with both hands. Maria wouldn’t be pleased. He knew that without a doubt. Although she had begged him to stay in the first place, she resented him now. And he couldn’t blame her.

He knew she would despise him, even before he had opened his big mouth. That’s why he hadn’t been willing to share his thoughts. What kind of guy would stalk a little girl? If the situation would’ve been reversed, he would’ve throttled the creep, well before the guy could’ve explained a thing. Nobody touches his girl.

He pressed his lips together when his mind leapt back to his little Hannah. The way he lost her kept his blood boiling. Now more than ever. When a child dies, it’s always tragic. But when that same child dies because who she is or whose daughter she is, it’s more than resentful.

Fucking bastard!

The glasses in the green cupboard tingled. With effort he tried to take a deep breath. The glassware behind his back settled down and so did he. Michael knew he had to restrain himself if he ever wanted a good ending in his life. It was the first time he was aware that the ball was now in his court. And hell, was he going to take that shot!

That afternoon when the first car drove up the driveway, it was somehow the green light for the others. One after the other they pressed the button on the outdoor phone before entering Maria’s property. The colorful diversity of vehicles and car brands struck Maria. Details like that could inspire her at any moment of the day. The clicking of several car doors however brought her back in no time.

From her spot on the porch she saw her visitors stepping up to the main house. The way they had finished yesterday’s meeting was clearly reflected in everybody’s features. The first ones held hands, their fingers twined. Maria couldn’t miss the sparkle between Max and Liz. The way they looked up at each other every other second revealed more than they could say in words. She would put money on it that those two had wonderful sex together, or at least some foreplay.

“Well, well, Lizzy girl, looks like you hit the jackpot!” Maria mused with a smile on her lips while eying her best friend approvingly. Someone will be grilled later on.

If you could say one thing about Maria, it would be the fact that she could be very happy with someone else’s happiness. Even when her life was falling apart. And apparently there was a fly in the ointment with some others too. Max & Liz were in stark contrast of her next visitors. Although Tess had stepped out of Kyle’s van, she froze him out completely. The guilty look on her brother’s face told her that he had something to do with it. Maria snorted out loud. She could just imagine how he had vented his frustration on the young woman and most likely offended her at the same time.

From behind them an energetic short-stuff found her way and launched herself into her mother’s arms. Maria spun her around while her laughter charmed everyone. Nobody could resist her cheerful chattering. And in her turn Emily couldn’t resist Michael either. So the moment she saw him standing from the corner of her eye, she wriggled herself out of Maria’s arms, and ran straight into his.

His presence surprised Maria. While she had observed her visitors, she had forgotten all about him. Which was odd, considering the fact that she had contemplated all morning about the things she would say to him. But the moment her daughter threw herself into his embrace,

Maria felt silent. Just like everybody around her. With bated breath they all witnessed how Michael met his daughter for real. How he gazed at her with wide eyes, taking in every line in her face and her features. This was his daughter! With closed eyes Michael drew her portrait in his mind. Maria bit her upper lip when he snuggled Emily even more in his arms. Cradling her like their lives depended on it.

In that moment she saw the resemblances between the, at first sight, so totally different people. He, the dark and unsociable loner in his end-twenties. She, the lively blond four-year-old. But they shared the same mouth and look in their eyes. A look that gave a peek into the depths of their souls in one single look, if you took the time to see beyond the surface.

The moment didn’t last long though. The tireless little girl escaped from his arms in a blink, totally unaware of everyone’s odd reactions while she rattled off her adventures of the past days. “And Gran Amy laughed at me yesterday. She asked me what I wanted to do and I just said I wanna grow. Did I say something wrong?”

With a hopeful look Emily glanced at Michael but the stunned man could only stare back. Maria knew she had to step in to get him off the hook. Or not. Although her heart crushed at the sight in front of her, something in her enjoyed the little payback Michael had gotten himself into. Because of her small hesitation the decision to react or not was ripped away. To her surprise it was Kyle who came to the rescue.

“Hey squirt, give the man a break. You’re chattering his ears off. Besides, there are other people to say hi to.” With that he pointed at Liz beside him.

“Auntie Liz!” But before she could embrace her, Emily let out a new squeal. “Uncle Alex!!”

On cue all the adults turned their heads to the new arrival. If some mouths hadn’t fallen open by the last event, they were now. To everybody’s surprise they saw the dark-haired musician stepping out of a tiny beige Fiat, directly followed by the car’s owner.

Max squeezed his eyes while focusing on the man. The guy looked damn familiar. The minute that thought crossed his mind, a vague recollection popped up. “Is that Alex Whitman?” he whispered to Michael who was standing next to him.

Michael’s short nod was immediately followed by another question. “Why is he with Isabel? And what is he doing here?”

With his smart way of observing and his quick perception, Alex knew something was off the minute he swung his legs out of the car. He had visited Maria a lot but the welcoming committee he saw on the porch, set off his inner alarm. The tension between all of them vibrated through the air. And what were all these people doing here? Were they all in on the alien madness?

Alex felt like he was trapped inside some extremely long, extremely weird nightmare. He shook that thought off and put up his coolest hard rock attitude. “Well, well, a mafia welcome party disappears into nothingness when I see you guys here. Speaking of secrets,” he spoke directly towards Liz and Maria now. “Isn’t Kyle normally running with the blinders and not me?”

The girls’ eyes crossed. They both knew Alex inside out and the cynical remark warned them he was anything but pleased. As best friends they had shared every little detail of their lives. Always. Even in the periods when they hadn’t seen each other on a regular basis, they had managed to keep in contact with mail and video chat. So the guilty look on their faces said it all.

“I'm not gonna get an explanation, am I?” he stated out loud, his gaze bouncing back and forth from one to the other.

Apologetically Liz bit on her bottom lip while Maria hesitated. Unintentionally her eyes fell back on Michael, finding him waiting with a stoic expression next to a nervous looking Max. Oh boy, what a mess! She hated lying to her best friend. Maybe she would’ve slipped in some pointers in a more private setting but now, with everybody’s glaring eyes on her, she had her back to the wall. So she laid a hand on his arm and made eye contact. “Look, Alex, I’m sorry but it’s not our story to tell.”

“No, it’s mine. And I told him.”

Isabel’s harsh snarl exploded like a thunderstorm.

“What?”

The simultaneous shouts from her brothers didn’t surprise her. Triumphantly she smiled at them. “You said I couldn’t tell our parents. As you can see, Alex isn’t exactly one of them. Besides, you told your lovers too.” Isabel added in an accusatory tone.

The blood in Max’s veins almost boiled when he roared. “Technically we didn’t have a choice. You did!”

From beside him he felt somebody rushing by. An angry Michael stopped right in front of his sister. Like two hissing cats they just stared at each other, their noses practically together.
The silent clash kept on, the two of them too obstinate to surrender.

They were twins, both made out of the same headstrong material. They would go through wind and fire for their loved ones but they could be as hard as stone when it came to standing by their beliefs. And they stayed put. It kept everybody holding his or her breath, certainly when the air around them began to flare up.

“Michael!”

A high pitched shriek broke the silence. When the little girl started pulling on the hem of his shirt, the tension decreased notably.

“Michael, that’s my teacher! That’s Miss Izzy!” she tried to make it clear that he needed to back down.

“And she’s my sister, kiddo. Doesn’t mean I can’t be angry at her.”

“Doesn’t mean you have to throw a fit, do you?”

Michael looked baffled from the unexpected wisdom, coming from the mouth of a four-year-old. From behind him he heard Maria chuckle before bursting into laughter.

When she finally managed to pull herself together, she wiped off her laughing tears before shaking her head at her little daughter. “Well, pumpkin, nicely said. At least you’re starting to remember what I’m saying over and over. Anyway,” she directed herself to the fighting siblings now, “the truth comes out of a child’s mouth. What’s done is done now. It’s time for talking.”
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Twined Roads (AU, CC, Adult) CH 33 - 08/03/2015

Post by keepsmiling7 »

As Maria stated.........Liz certainly hit the jackpot with Max.
I loved, loved Emily throwing herself into Michael's arms. We could have all just sat down and had a great big cry then.
But now it is definitely time for talking. The sooner the better.
Thanks,
Carolyn
Natalie36
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Twined Roads (AU, CC, Adult) CH 33 - 08/03/2015

Post by Natalie36 »

great part and what a smart kid