Twined Roads (AU, CC, Adult) ch. 38 - 08/13/16

This is the place to post stories that significantly alter the show's canon or mythology such as prequels, backgrounds for the characters that differ from on the show, fics where different characters are alien, and alternative family relationships. These fics must contain aliens or alien storylines as part of their plot.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Hunter, Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

Eva
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Twined Roads (AU, CC, Adult) ch. 34 - 01/31/16

Post by Eva »

A new chapter is send to my beta and I hope to post it pretty soon!
Take a look at Eva's world
Eva
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Twined Roads (AU, CC, Adult) A/N - 06/06/16

Post by Eva »

@ Sara: The combination of our four aliens set everything in an higher gear. And that speed is a bit too fast for a woman as Isabel who likes to have control about her life and everything that comes along with it.

@ Carolyn: I hadn’t thought about that one but you’re completely right! The combination of the BMW’s suspension and that gravel road was far from ideal. Such a beautiful car deserves better conditions to cruise on.

The birth place brings a lot of mixed feelings. This is the first key to their origins.

@ Jess: Thank you for the compliment! Welcome to my fic, I hope I can keep it interested but I can guarantee already a lot of winks to the real thing. Which you will have experienced already.

Hanna was indeed born after Emily. Courtney & Michael were still studying when she became pregnant. At that time their relationship had been off and Courtney never dared to tell Michael on the assumption he would hate having children. So she gave Emily up for adoption. Afterwards they got back together though and she got pregnant again, this time from Hanna. Hanna was about two years old when she died in a hit-and-run. Because to two girls were only one year apart, Michael was drawn out of his fuzz when he saw a girl that had a resemblance with his Hanna.

A/N: As usual I borrowed some old bits and pieces, this time from Season One’s “Max’s to the Max” and “The Balance”.

Chapter 35

“Isabel, wait!” Max called her back. But he went ignored. Frustrated he scolded. “We can’t leave her alone, Michael. Come on.”

He didn’t wait for a response and with a worried look on his face he chased after her.

“Yeah, yeah!” Michael just muttered, barely out loud. The world wasn’t going to perish because their sister had a hard time facing reality. But this cave was real and it was the first encounter he ever had with their origins. And it would take more than an overstressed Isabel to haul him out of this thing.

With care he started checking out the place.

Curious Tess observed him. She still didn’t know how to act among them. The others had a history together. A history she knew nothing about other than the things she had discovered in her research of Michael’s past. But those facts had told her little about their interpersonal relationships. “You’re not going after them?” she finally remarked.

“Nah! They can wait a sec or two.” After a short glance toward her, he noticed her doubts. It made him smirk. “Barking dogs don't bite, you know. Besides, she’ll come around.”

She pointed to the entrance. “Is she always so -”

“Uptight? Bitchy?”

His dry and sharp description cracked her pinned-up emotions and Tess burst out laughing, shaking her curly hair up and down. “That’s not exactly the word I was going for. But yeah, it comes close.”

In its turn, her warm laughter broke his tension. Seemingly relaxed, Michael leaned with his shoulders against one of the walls and faced the small blond. “It’s just an act. It’s her way of dealing with everything.” Unaware he scratched his eyebrow again. “If I’m honest, we’re cut from the same cloth but don’t tell her that.”

Nodding from time to time, Tess just listened to him, amazed by the fact that he had taken the time to explain. After her investigation and the few moments she had encountered with him, he didn’t strike her as the most sociable guy ever. Far from it actually.

“We -” Michael’s voice broke off in the middle of his sentence, his eyes locked on a point behind her.

Curious she whirled around to see what had attracted him. Unaware she narrowed her eyes and scanned the rock-face. The moment Michael started to climb up a higher situated ledge, Tess discovered the little blue package halfway stashed away in the narrow bay between the fissures.

His teeth pressed together Michael swayed himself to the left until he could grip the boulder above him. For a moment he just dangled there before he found the strength to pull himself further up. Arms stretched, his right leg found a steady underground on the platform. After that it was peanuts. Within seconds he snatched the parcel wrapped in blue and lowered himself again. Like a wildcat he jumped down, making a tumble just before hitting the floor. Tess couldn’t help but heave a sigh of relief. Just then she realized that she had bitten her bottom lip with excitement.

“What is it?” Her voice couldn’t contain the curiosity and anxiety that had built in her the last half hour.

Michael’s eyes sparkled in the dark cave. Although he wasn’t a patient kind of guy, he treated his discovery like a treasure. Which it actually also was. Carefully he unpacked the little thing with a shining Tess next to him. Both feeling like a little child in a toyshop.
Under the blue cloth a metal book revealed itself. They tried to get a better look and a ray of light from outside the cave reflected off of the cover. Giving away a row of alien symbols.

“Holy fuck,” Michael murmured out loud.

“Come on, girl! You know you’ve got to tell me something.”

“Me?” Liz asked semi-innocent while she smoothed out her green summer dress with her right hand, taking the time to pick an invisible speck of dust off of the fabric.

Maria rolled her eyes. “Yeah, you. You’ve been sitting here for almost five minutes now and the only thing you can do, is smile.” Her head resting on her folded hands she took another look. The sparkle in her best friend’s eyes was unmistakable and she directly corrected herself. “No, you’re shining.”

It was true. The moment the girls had taken a seat on Maria’s porch while Kyle and Alex had started a ball game with Emily on the lawn, you’d have to be blind to miss Liz’s radiant face and the mysterious smile on her lips.

Attentive she observed her friend further. “If I didn’t know you, I would say you had sex.”

Sex. It sounded so casual when it had been anything but that. The way Max had lit up the room with romantic candlelight, the way he had made her feel so special…

Maria’s eyes grew big when Liz couldn’t hide her dimpled cheeks. “No, you didn’t!” Playfully she gave her best friend a thump. “Elizabeth Parker! Start talking, girl, before I make it public on Facebook!”

The second Liz hesitated, Maria grabbed at her smartphone lying on the wooden little table in front of them.

“Oh no, you won’t!” With a jolt she sprung up to grab her best friend’s wrist.

With played injured innocence, Maria pretended to just read the clock on her mobile phone. “Oh, it’s already 3 pm.”

“Maria!” Liz narrowed her eyes but when she saw the teasing smile on Maria’s lips, she shook her head and started laughing herself. “God, you really can be annoying, you know that?”

“I know!” The contented grin on her face said it all. Unconsciously she played with a spoon on the little table while she stared anxiously at her friend. “And?”

“I don't think that we should talk about it.”

“Are you kidding? We have to talk about it. Not only are we best friends,” Maria bowed a bit closer, “and best friends just share things like that.” She took a second to think about that last thing she said and then shrugged her shoulders. “Although the last couple of years there wasn’t much to share in that department. Anyway, we're also the only two people in this world capable of having this conversation.”

“That we know of.” Liz pointed out.

Maria rolled her eyes. “Don't complicate things, ok?” Daring she challenged. “Who wants to go first?” She didn’t let Liz wonder about it too long though. “Fine, I'll start! It was…”

Maria had wanted to talk about those last couple of days already a long time. But when it finally came to putting her feelings into words, she didn’t find the right words immediately. Eventually only one word came in her mind. “...Explosive.”

Explosive. Another underestimation. Ok, it had been explosive but then again, it had been so much more. Max had looked at her as if she had been the prettiest girl on earth. And that’s how she had felt. They had started softly and tenderly. Kissing, stroking, exploring each other bodies. Inch by inch. In the process, they had removed each other’s clothing. Piece by piece. Her first orgasm had hit her by surprise.

She had never had a lover that had cared so much about the way she felt. The last one, a preppy rich medical student who she had dated for two years, had most of the time only cared about his own needs. Leaving her as unsatisfied as possible. An in and out in a maximum of a minute or ten. Why waste time if you can come without the fuss?

But that wasn’t Max. Oh boy, did he take his time. After her first orgasm he hadn’t stopped. With ease he had explored her further with his mouth where his fingers had stopped. Almost eating her out until she had screamed his name out loud, over and over again. When he had finally entered her fully, the world had exploded in bits and pieces with colorful sparks all over the place.

With red cheeks Liz could only nod. “Yeah. Uh, that's a really good word.”

“Right?” The hesitation made Maria doubt. Explosive didn’t cover the complete range of emotions she had experienced. Her eyes glowed when she thought back to the beautiful night with Michael. She wet her lips. Compared to her memory, every word she could think of just paled. At last she came up with a thought that came closest to what she tried to explain. “It was like every cell in my body felt the same cell in his and started heating up.”

Encouraged by Maria’s phrase, Liz let her guard down. “And I got really dizzy. Did you get dizzy?”

Maria waved a hand. “I get dizzy just thinking about it.”

“Ok, you know like all of that time that I spent with Kyle and Edward...I didn't have any of those feelings that I did when I was with Max. What about you?”

Maria nodded. “Billy Darden from the Academy?”

“Yeah.” Liz still remembered the good-looking but very arrogant prick of a musician.

She waved her hand in the air like she was dismissing him. “Amateur! Michael is the real thing.”

“Ok, now, here is the big question. Do you think that we feel like this just because of the fact that they're like...”

In agreement Maria nodded again. “Oh, their non-human status.”

“Yes!” Finally it did feel like a relief to talk about it. Sharing an extraordinary experience like this made it even more tangible. Briefly she brushed a lonely hair from her forehead and bowed towards her best friend. “And I’m not even talking about the things he let me see, you know.”

The minute he had opened himself up to her, a wave of emotions and images had flooded her. Giving her a special energy and glimpses of his life. At that moment she could feel everything he was feeling. She could feel his loneliness. For the first time Liz was really seeing Max Evans. She saw herself as he saw her, and the amazing thing was, in his eyes, she was the most beautiful woman on earth.

Understandingly Maria whispered. “I know.” Louder she proceeded. “It’s like they’re not only showing themselves but the whole galaxy at the same time. He makes me feel so special; it goes beyond anything I’ve ever experienced with a human.”

“Yeah, I’ve never felt so beautiful as yesterday evening with Max.”

“That’s not a privilege! Normal guys can do that too!”

The disbelief was written all over their faces while the two women stared at him. Just when he had wanted to quench his thirst and had hopped up the four steps, Alex’s ears had whistled when he had heard their last remark.

The saucy part in him stood up. “Hell, I can do that!”

“Yeah, right!” They wiggled their eyebrows before glancing at each other and snickering it out.

A dare like that only threw more oil on his fire. “Wanna test me to compare some notes?” he challenged.

They both burst out laughing while the girls shook their heads, their faces a grimace of pretended disgust.

Alex grabbed a chair, turned it around and took a seat, his arms laying on the backside. “No, seriously, with the right woman, every man can do stuff like that.”

“With Isabel?” Maria tried to pick loose while she refilled his glass.

“Maybe.” A cocky smile gave away how he felt about the beautiful blond.

It made them all snicker out loud. It really felt like old times. They had always shared each other’s love lives with the occasional wink, laughter or serious advice. And when the relationship had gone to the drain, they had been there to pick up the pieces.

With two fingers Alex started to drum on the chair before him. He really felt alive again although he had stepped from one set of chaos into another one. An alien related one! You had to be living in Roswell to stumble over a thing like that. A smile played on his lips when thought back over those last couple of days ending it up with the conversation he had witnessed that morning. He stopped tapping his fingers and let his gaze bounce between Emily and her mom.

“Maria?”

“Mmm.”

“Why was everyone holding their breath earlier when Emily was jabbering Michael’s ears off?”

With a soft smile she thought back on the bittersweet moment. “Ah, the two billion dollar question. Yeah well, let’s say the world is a small planet after all.”

“That’s what they say.” Alex grinned at her.

Maria nodded and looked back at her daughter. When she saw that the child was far enough away she bent closer to him and whispered. “Yesterday we found out that Emily’s birth mom had a relationship with Michael. He lost her last year after a car accident together with his baby girl.”

Alex whistled between his teeth. “Is Michael Emily’s biological father?”

“Your logical reasoning always surprises me. The rest of us needed more time to come to that conclusion.”

“Holy crap!” he blurted out. It made Maria poke him between his ribs and Liz waved at him in order to keep him quiet. Alex nodded that he understood and bent closer himself. “Is he going to ask for custody?”

Maria’s blond hair went back and forth while she shook her head. “Sticking to the letter, he can’t. I adopted her and I have all parental rights. But we haven’t discussed that kind of consequences yet. We had an argument yesterday evening and haven’t talked since.”

“Ouch!”

“You can say that alright!” she answered his spontaneous reaction.

Liz frowned, pulling her eyebrows down and gave her friend a confused look. “But I thought you guys became so close this last week.”

A deep sigh was her first response. “Yeah, well… we were. But then it kinda exploded.” She scratched her head and smiled coyly. “Or better said, I exploded.”

“What did the man do?” Alex bantered. “Buy you some discount shampoo as a gift?”

Although she felt a pang of guilt, she couldn’t hide a small smile. He knew her so well. “That could’ve been the trick too but no.”

Carefully she searched her words. On one hand she was still convinced of everything she had said to Michael, but on the other hand pieces of her understood his motives. Eventually she just threw the question that had haunted her the complete night towards her friends. “How would you react if some guy would say to you that he had followed your four-year old daughter several days?”

Liz’s eyes grew big. She immediately understood Maria’s dilemma which was directly vocalized by Alex’s out loud thinking. “That’s a tough one.”
Holding up his right hand, he counted on his fingers. “One, I don’t have kids. Second, Michael isn’t ‘some’ guy.”

“No, not at the moment. But at that time he was.” Maria pointed out. “At that time he was a drunk, homeless hobo, wandering the streets of LA. Staring at MY daughter.”

“And his.”

“God, Alex, be helpful, will you.” Maria lowered her head on the small table in front of her and covered it with her hands. “And you’re not exactly helping me right now.” She tilted her head a bit. “I’ve got every right to be mad, don’t you think? Liz?”

“Yeah, you do.” The confirmation weakened almost directly when her second remark followed. “But I can understand Michael too. How would you react if you encountered the look-alike of your passed away daughter?”

“I know!” Maria moaned, “What do you think I saw almost every hour of the freaking night!”
Ms_BuffyAnneSummers
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Twined Roads (AU, CC, Adult) ch. 35 - 06/07/16

Post by Ms_BuffyAnneSummers »

Woo hoo great new chapter!! Can not wait to see how it will unfold!!!! Come back with more soon!!! BUMP Bump ASAP!
MAX: Liz, I just want to put everything that happened behind us.
LIZ: Yeah, you know that I would, too, if I had impregnated an alien killer who murdered one of our best friends and then left the planet with my unborn child.
MAX: So you're still holding on to that?
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Alex and his logical thinking.......he hit the jackpot didn't he?
Michael is so different now from when Maria first found him
Thanks, but I want more,
Carolyn
Eva
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Eva »

@Ms_BuffyAnneSummers: Thanks for your enthusiasm! I’ll try my very best to write as fast as I can

@ Carolyn: Yeah, Alex ‘s a very perceptive man. A successful combination with his fast intellect.
Michael has indeed changed a lot this last week. But I can understand Maria’s feeling too: she’s a mother-hen looking out for her beloved girl.

So, you want more, huh? Are answers on different alien question a good starter?

A/N: Why would I change a good recipe? So, like always you can find some bits and pieces to 1st seasons ‘Max to the Max.”, “The White Room” and “Destiny”.

Chapter 36

Shielding his eyes from the radiant sunbeams it took them some time to readjust to the daylight. The transition from the dark cave to the shiny surface created by the reflection on the sandy underground made his eyelids blink. Next to him he heard Tess dusting her clothes off. In the same nanosecond he located the other two standing next to Max’s blue convertible. Well, standing wasn’t exactly the way to put it. Even from here he could see that Max held her by the shoulder in an effort to bring her to a standstill. The next moment Max pulled her into a comforting hug. A smirk appeared on Michael’s face when he realized how fast Isabel had descended the hillside before Max had caught up with her. Knowing that her determination had beaten his excellent good shape.

He nodded his head towards them as a sign to the girl next to him before he started to go down himself. The gravel under his black Docs creaked and for the first time in ages he felt alive again. Aware of the, for him, foreign concept he inhaled the fresh air and actually felt his blood pumping through his veins. It gave him even more energy than he already had.

A couple of feet before his destination, he saw his brother advance, curiosity and eagerness visible in every detail of his behaviour. Behind him Isabel tailed along, trying to get grip on her emotions. Stepping closer, she intercepted Michael’s studious gaze. A small smile found her face again. It gave her a warm feeling that her twin brother still cared. That, despite the long lonely year without him, the violent quarrel and all the chaos it had brought them, they still had a bond.

Her reaction wasn’t instant though. So his eyebrows made an even higher quirk. His wordless manner of communication made her smile widen. This was her brother from head to toe. The fact that there were still some certainties in life was very soothing.

“Sorry, but that place totally freaked me out,” she apologized, “we knew we were different but to see it for real?”

“Then this will freak you out too.” Michael smirked in response while holding up the parcel in his hands.

With everyone around him, he wiped his right hand of his soft blue jeans before unpeeling the little blue thing for a second time. Even in the sun light the bright rays surprised them all.

“It’s a book!”

“In some kind of strange language.”

“Two times correct!” Tess agreed with both Max and Isabel. Carefully she paged through the metal book, while the others watched over her shoulders.

Isabel was the first to see a glimpse of the back cover after the final turn. “Oh my god!”

“What?” Max grabbed the book closer while Isabel pointed towards the etching of a beautiful girl with long hair, casually framing a delicate face.

“This is me!”

“It’s all of us.” Michael’s bass voice added.

The frown on Isabel’s forehead amplified her agitated voice. “But how did they know what we would look like?”

Michael looked her right in the eye. There was not a single fraction of emotion in his voice when he dead serious stated. “‘Cause we were designed.”

Perplexed she stayed rooted, the wind playing with some strands of her hair while she just stared at him as if he had transformed into some hideous creature. Next to her, Max grabbed the book completely out of Tess’s hands, rubbing his fingers over the engraved pictures over and over again.

“That’s impossible, Michael.”

Cynicism took over when Michael threw the words at his brother: “Whether you want to face it or not, we weren’t born, we were engineered.”

“Do you understand what you’re saying? What that means we are?” The thought alone made him fly into rage. His heart hammered in his chest. Max needed every bit of strength in his soul not to hit the roof. He pinched the bridge of his nose and inhaled deeply. “I won’t believe that.”

He looked them all right in the eye. “I just won’t!”

To everyone’s surprise it was Isabel who backed Michael up. “I think he’s right,” she nodded towards Michael. Carefully she took the book Max held and with her index finger she followed the lines of the engravings. “Either way, this book is trying to tell us something.”

“Did Nacedo really tell the truth for once and were we paired up, just like in the pods?” Tess chipped in while referring to the combination of photos on the cover in which she was placed next to Max and Isabel next to Michael. “Or, and that makes more sense to me, are Isabel and Michael paired up as a twin while Max and I just followed along.”

“I agree. No way I’m getting in a relationship with Isabel. No offense Iz, but we would drive each other crazy!”

“No offence taken,” Isabel reassured him, “besides we dreamed it differently.”

“But can we trust those dreams?”

Her eyes sparkled when Isabel almost bit Max’ nose off and fretfully answered. “That dream was a token! The first and only sign that we were different. And we dreamt it all.”

“A dream proves nothing.” Challenging he looked at her. Everything in him screamed out his agitation. Max knew they were different. Hell, they knew it all from the first minute they had encountered other people and weren’t able to communicate with them. The dream had indeed been their only hold on their special lives for a very long time. Certainly for the twins, giving them the first sign that they had really belonged together. But now it scared him. It scared the hell out of him: the book, the fact that somebody was out there harming their loved ones…

Stubbornly Isabel glared at him. “I beg to differ. As a dreamwalker I know the difference.”

“Oh, is that your ability?” Tess chirped with such an oblivious enthusiasm that she took the sting out of the conflict.

His arms seemingly relaxes across his chest, Michael focused on the blond Energizer bunny next to him. “What do you mean?”

Her colorful bracelets on her left wrist tinkled while she emphasized her words with sweeping arm motions. “Your powers, Michael. Your gifts. You do have them, don’t you?”

He scratched his eyebrow. When he thought about the billion things he had blown up in an effort to make something work, it was hard to call his powers a gift. So he just shrugged his shoulders. “We’re not too advanced, you know.”

Knowing what a hard time he had with being different and controlling his emotions and powers and how he had always envied her and Max, Isabel saw through his faked nonchalance and stepped in. “We can do easy things, like change simple molecular structure, but we don’t use them very often. What about you?” she tossed the question back.

“Being around Nasedo for a couple of years has taught me quite a few things.”

“Like?”

For the first time a shadow fell over the face of the enthusiastic young woman. Thinking back on the numerous chilling moments wherein the alien had never understood that hybrids didn’t function the way he did. It had always come to one constant: bringing her down and making her feel like crap. In between she had managed to pick up some things which she explored later on to a higher level, but still within her own capacities. The fine tuning of her most special ability had helped her along her professional career although she had been careful, only using it when she had felt that her other options had been slim to nonexistent.

All of the sudden a dark colored SUV cruised down the desert, producing a giant sandy dust cloud. The driver seemed to speed up his car even more. Swift as an arrow it piloted itself towards them. When it didn’t seem to slam on its brakes, Michael was the first to become conscious of direct danger. Purely on instinct he lifted his right arm, palm wide open and sent an electric bolt from his hand towards the vehicle. It struck like lightening, overturning the car in one smooth movement. The minute the wheels hit the ground again, the SUV disappeared into nothing. Leaving them all perplexed and confused.

The whole thing had only lasted for a couple of minutes but the impact unseen. An ecstatic Tess grinned widely at their shocked faces, increasing their disbelief a couple of notches more.

“It’s ok, it’s ok.”

“Oh my God, what just happened?” Isabel whispered barely out loud.

The confidence dripped from Tess’s voice. “I made you think something was happening right in front of you when it really wasn’t. That’s one of my gifts. But you, Michael-” She clapped her hands in appreciative applause. “You’re a protector!”

“I’m what?”

“What did you do?”

Michael’s exclamation crossed Max’s demand.

Completely taken off guard, Michael could only look at his hands. “I don't know.” He said while turning his hands over and over.

His impatience slammed against his limits. He hated to lose control and in an effort to regain a hold on the situation, Max just barked. “What do you mean you don't know?”

It wasn’t the way to treat the high-tempered Michael. Something Max immediately remembered when he encountered the fierce look in his brother’s eye. “I don’t know”. Which was actually a translation for “Fuck off, this isn’t the moment to question something I don’t understand myself!”
Impressed by his own power, Michael softened his harsh words after his outburst. “I don't know how I did it, Max. I don't even know what I was trying to do. It just happened.”

He couldn’t stop watching his big, rough hands until two small ones covered them. “It's just your own energy, Michael, and how you focus it.” In a friendly manner she brushed her thumbs against his skin. “It’s the way you protect yourself. Us. Everyone you love. Your energy can be life saving. Don’t ever doubt that. You only need to control it.”

With a bright smile she laughed at all of them. “It’s something we all can. Remember how you reacted at Maria’s place yesterday, Max?”

Max frowned at her before it dawned him how he had raised his own arm when Michael’s emotions had gotten insane. Carefully he nodded his head at her.

“Well, we all can protect each other but Michael’s powers are unmatched in that area. That’s why he was the first to react and took control. Deep down, we all tap into our alien heritage. It’s just buried deep down under our human make-up. It’s something Nacedo never understood.”

“The make-up?” Isabel teased.

The little joke made Tess laugh out loud. The combination of Nacedo with something as human and feminine as make-up just went too far. The humorous way Isabel and the others dealt with everything was refreshing. And it fit her so much more than Nacedo’s way of sneering and belittling. That was something she had feared the most when she had got on track of Michael. After her mom had drummed it in her head that she was worth loving, she didn’t settle for less anymore. So she rolled her eyes. “Could’ve been. Unfortunately he never understood my human side.”

Max smirked. “So those stupid aliens thought that hybrids were the perfect match but never considered the human side-effects, huh?”

“Sort of,” Tess grinned, “but I never had the chance to ask more. The moment I was old enough to start questioning his actions, he disappeared. I tried to practice and maintain my skills. I never knew if I would need them one day, you know.”

They could all relate and just nodded. Although they hadn’t encountered more information on their origins, they had learnt their powers by trying. Most of them had even come by surprise. But they had used what they had found on their own behalf.

Thinking back on how the conversation began, Tess refocused on Isabel. With anticipation she clapped in her hands “You said you were a dream walker, right?”

The blond just shrugged her shoulders. “It’s not that much but I can go into people’s heads when they’re sleeping.”

Stunned, Tess opened her eyes wide. “And you can all do that?”

“No, just Isabel.” Michael shook his head.

The astonishment dripped down from every word she spoke. “And you can communicate with them?”

Her alien side had always given her an ambiguous feeling. On one hand she wanted to be as normal as possible but on the other hand she had used her powers almost every day on a very recreational level. She couldn’t imagine life without her small but oh so alien tools. It had colored her vision on being normal in such a way that it surprised her that there were things other people or in this case hybrids couldn’t do. “Subconsciously, yes. I’ve only done it a few times though. My brothers-” a wicked smile was sent to both of them, “thought that I was violating people’s privacy.”

“Which you actually did” Michael agreed. “It was MY privacy.”

“Among other people.”

Her muttered interpretation was treated with a cynical, “Yeah, and that makes it right!”

Tess began to get used to the playful bickering between the two of them. Not impressed, even a bit eager, she pointed her left index towards Max, “So, that leaves only one. What’s your gift?”

“I can heal people and animals.”

She held her head on the side. “The little things every one of us can or the whole shebang?”

For the first time Tess heard Max’s warm laughter. His wide smile even reached his eyes while he snickered. “The whole shebang!”

“Oh, whoa!” Impressed Tess pulled a funny face. “Who needs a doctor when you’ve got someone like you?”

Max cleared his throat. “Well, huh -” he grinned again, “I’m doctor too.”

“As a cover?”

Her conclusion was fast but he liked it. It felt liberating to actually talk about it. Michael and Isabel knew him so well that he’d never had to explain his motives. Let alone talk about them. “Yes and no. No, because, I’m not God, you know. I can’t rescue people all the time. Even with the best intentions, it’s just not possible. I would raise too much unwanted attention too. But my powers taught me that I like helping people. I like healing people, operating on them while using every medical skill I possess.” Unaware he grimaced from bad memories. “And when it still comes down, my powers help me to guide them through their last moments without having too much pain and suffering.”

“I’m beginning to understand what Nacedo said all those years ago.”

They all stared at her so incomprehensibly that it made her smile again. This truly was a day of explanations. The book, the similarities between them… For the first time Tess really felt normal. There were people like her and they all had their own encounters and struggles in life. Her almost constant good mood blew up in the comparative degree, giving her grin an even more contagious character.

“As I said yesterday Max, he called us the Royal Four. That gave me so a princess kind of feeling. As a little girl it gave me so much hope for more than what I had, the quote stuck in my head forever. He also said that our powers balanced each other, something I never quite understood. But now, now that we’ve talked about it, I can only agree. We do balance each other out.”

“Does that mean that we’re all family?” Max asked.

Holding up the shiny book, Isabel reset the whole conversation. “The answer has to lie in this.”

Michael nodded in understanding. “It has to!”

“But what does it mean?”

“We need to translate it!”

“But how the fuck you start with that?”

“Yeah, this language is neither here nor there.”

The blurted out thoughts and ideas were thrown together in a way that they couldn’t remember afterwards who had said what exactly. But somehow that wasn’t important anymore. The moment had been a catalyst to a new bond between them. If one thing had been shown to them, it was that they needed to work together because they belonged together. Because whether it was in English or in Antarian, a picture always said more than a thousand words.

“Ok, what are we going to do now?” Michael tried to summarize everything. “Does anybody have an idea how we go from here?”

“I don’t have a complete plan yet but this is what’ll we do first.” At that moment Max felt calm, even a bit relaxed, again. As if by taking charge of the situation, he felt in his own element again. His self-assurance was undeniable when he started assigning different orders. “Tess, you were getting on track of the other shape shifter?”

Her blond curls bounced while she nodded affirmatively.

“I suggest that you investigate that further. Michael,” he looked at his brother now, “can you make copies of this book, preferably on paper?”

When he saw the frowns on everybody’s faces, he immediately explained himself further. “What isn’t digitally saved can’t be lost or hacked.”

Michael only needed one word to understand the bigger picture. “’Cause we don’t know who we’re up against.”

“Exactly!”

“No, problem,” Michael shrugged his shoulders, “it’s peanuts duplicating such simple things. Even a kid could do it.”

“Yeah, when they can draw.” Max chuckled. “Which I can’t. I’m a doctor and my handwriting matches my job as they say.”

Although his little joke eased the mood a bit, the hair on Isabel’s arms kept standing upright, giving her goose bumps on a warm summer day. “What are we going to say to the others?”

“What you want them to know.” Max scratched next to his right eyebrow. “Look, it’s clear that obligations don’t work anymore. We’re not the kids we used to be. And I’m not sure we made to best choice at that moment. Somebody made that very clear to me last week.” His look stayed a moment rooted on a smirking Michael in front of him. “So I’ll leave it to each of you to decide whether you want to talk about it or not. And in case you’re wondering, Liz will hear the whole story.”

They all nodded.

“When Michael has the copies, we all need to try to decode the symbols. Meditate, try remembering, google them or even dream them again… I don’t care. Just try. It’s all we can do right now, I’m afraid.”

Again they all nodded and deep in thought they wanted to return to the car, when Michael interrupted them.

“Just one other thing,” he started casually before tuning up. “Isabel, you’ll keep an eye on Emily during school hours. I’ll work something out for the rest of the time. Whatever we find out, Emily’s safety stands above everything. I'm not losing her and that’s a fact!”
begonia9508
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Twined Roads (AU, CC, Adult) ch. 36 - 07/01/16

Post by begonia9508 »

With all the problems with Roswell Fanatics, all these months ago, I totally forgot your Story but now I got back and read it again and I am going to follow now... I am so sorry but I really lost the Story, in all that chaos... EVE :? :roll:
- Les jouissances de l'esprit sont faites pour calmer les orages du coeur!
- On reconnaît le bonheur au bruit qu'il fait quand il s'en va!
- L'amour vous rend aveugle et le mariage vous redonne la vue!
begonia9508
Roswell Fanatic

Post by begonia9508 »

Me again!!!

I read what I missed and for once, I like Tess... she grew up with a mother and that could make the difference because Nasedo was more a robot than an man!
And even if she wanted, Tess couldn't change the lives they had and extol "Destiny" until they could no more hear about it!

Loved it and thanks! EVE :mrgreen:
- Les jouissances de l'esprit sont faites pour calmer les orages du coeur!
- On reconnaît le bonheur au bruit qu'il fait quand il s'en va!
- L'amour vous rend aveugle et le mariage vous redonne la vue!
Ms_BuffyAnneSummers
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Ms_BuffyAnneSummers »

Awesome part! I can not wait to see what happens next!! Bump bump bump!
MAX: Liz, I just want to put everything that happened behind us.
LIZ: Yeah, you know that I would, too, if I had impregnated an alien killer who murdered one of our best friends and then left the planet with my unborn child.
MAX: So you're still holding on to that?
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Great new part.
The Royal Four now know their alien heritage and that they belong together.
Max easily takes charge, and I was glad to see him say Liz would hear the whole story.
With all of these explanations, I'm anxious to see how they go forward.
And everyone must protect and watch Emily.
Thanks,
Carolyn
sarammlover
Addicted Roswellian

Post by sarammlover »

Wow.....look how far they have come!! Amazing. I love how each of the 4 are open and honest and I am glad the royal 4 are working together! Excited to see how it all plays out!