Unbreakable - A Beautiful Lie (AU M/L ADULT) COMPLETE 5/5/17 + A/N 5/5/19

This is the place to post stories that significantly alter the show's canon or mythology such as prequels, backgrounds for the characters that differ from on the show, fics where different characters are alien, and alternative family relationships. These fics must contain aliens or alien storylines as part of their plot.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Hunter, Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

begonia9508
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Unbreakable (AU M/L ADULT) Ch 34+35, 8/30/15, p. 30

Post by begonia9508 »

After reading the last three parts, I've got the feeling that Max doesn't tell everything to Liz because he keeps something important from her, like maybe what would happen if they would make love?

It could be THE possibility to stop Sean for what he plan to make of Liz...

Are all the people in Roswell acting like sheeps and give free room to the aliens? We are back to Middle Age there! :? :mrgreen:

Anyway, I wonder how our two lovers will get out of this disaster! :shock: :twisted: :(

EVE :wink: :mrgreen:
- Les jouissances de l'esprit sont faites pour calmer les orages du coeur!
- On reconnaît le bonheur au bruit qu'il fait quand il s'en va!
- L'amour vous rend aveugle et le mariage vous redonne la vue!
Natalie36
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Natalie36 »

liz could just kill sean, no :x
L-J-L 76
Roswell Fanatic

Post by L-J-L 76 »

So sorry for bothering you will you please come back and post more really soon? I can't wait to find out what will happen when Max and Liz get back to Roswell. If Max will be able to see Liz in secret again, If Max and Liz will make out again. If Max and Liz will kiss? And if Max and Liz will sleep together before Sean tries to rape Liz.

L-J-L 76
max and liz believer
Obsessed Roswellian

THIRTY-SIX

Post by max and liz believer »

So... we lost touch with the motherboard again :cry: But the admins seem to have fixed it *happy dance*, which means that I come bearing gifts. In the shape of - not one, but - two chapters. The first one is a bit short and the second is a bit long. So it all balances itself out :roll:

Ashley (Morning Dreamgirl) - I know you're there and I know that you've been reading. Looking forward to your feedback :roll:

Helen (Roswelllostcause) - I thiiink, if they were to find you chasing them, they would run. Maybe you should run them into the desert. That's what Ashley (Morning Dreamgirl) plans to do. Maybe you two should book a bus, gag and chain them up inside and send the bus towards its final desert destination of your choosing. But seriously, you're right. As we've seen, the connection is right now protecting Liz against Sean and God knows who else. So it would be stupid to remove it. But what other option is there...? :|

Thank you for the feedback! (and try to keep your cool at the end of this update... Ah, what the heck - I'll get that bus ready)

L-J-L 76 - It's silly, isn't it. Liz wants to protect Max. Max wants to protect Liz. The one thing that seems to be able to protect them both is their connection. And they have to remove that one. Stupid. You also express a concern about Liz's father. We don't know the story about his possible involvement in the whole alien business, but it would be more difficult for the aliens to explain why Jeff would suddenly be hurt. So they'll probably just leave him alone. He's in a lot of pain (emotional) without them having to do anything.

Thank you for the feedback! And as always, the bump <3

Carolyn (keepsmiling7) - I think this is complicated for most of us. I, the writer, sometimes find myself a bit confused :roll: So many questions....that I can't answer yet. But the answers will come, I promise. But yes, the connection is important. And it should probably remain intact. Thank you for the feedback!

Eve (begonia9508)
After reading the last three parts, I've got the feeling that Max doesn't tell everything to Liz because he keeps something important from her, like maybe what would happen if they would make love?
Yeah, Liz seemed to have the same feeling, didn't she? Max is keeping something from her. Why?

Heh, the inhabitants of Roswell are not necessarily acting like sheep, but the aliens are good at covering their tracks so that it'll look like nothing odd ever happens in that town.

Thank you for the feedback!

Natalie36 - Hmm...now there's an idea :wink: A very dangerous one, but... Thank you for the feedback!

From THIRTY-FIVE:

”What did he say?” I whispered.

He shook his head, almost looking surprised at his father’s obvious knowledge of his whereabouts. ”I haven’t been home all day, so naturally he needed to investigate.” He diverted his eyes to the phone in his hand. ”It was stupid. I shouldn’t have stayed away. I made it seem suspicious.”

Fear tightened in my stomach and I put my hand over his on my knee, squeezing it, ”You can’t go back. He’ll…”

Max looked up, his voice devoid of emotions as he stated, ”I’ve broken the law. With Sean. With you, tonight.”

”But, he can’t just-” I started, but he silenced me by pressing his index finger gently against my upper lip.

”Let’s go home,” he said quietly, resignation vibrating through his body and our connection.

His hand released my knee and I could do nothing but follow as he rose and started to pack up the blanket.

Our alone time was over. For now. Maybe forever.

”What are you doing up, honey?”

I jumped, almost spilling the cup of tea I had just picked up from the kitchen counter. My heart was hammering in my chest as I fixed an easy smile on my lips before turning to face my father. ”I couldn’t sleep.” I grimaced sympathetically as I came upon his frail shape. ”You?”

He leaned against the doorway, stifling a yawn as he ruffled his hand absently through his hair. ”Same.” He hitched his head towards me, eyeing my winter scarf. ”Cold?”

”Yeah,” I answered, wrapping my hands around the hot cup. ”I can’t seem to get warm.”

I was freezing. Ever since Max dropped me off about two hours ago.

My dad looked at me sympathetically. ”Is it about that boy? Sean? And what he did?”

I absent-mindedly chewed my bottom lip before answering evasively, ”It really wasn’t that bad. I guess I’m just a bit rattled by it. Being at the hospital and all.”

My dad knew of my aversion to hospitals and doctors, so I hoped that would satisfy his questions.

He nodded slowly and I was holding my breath as he slowly searched my face, afraid that he might find answers in my features that should best remain hidden.

The purple bruises under my father’s tired eyes looked darker than ever in the sparse kitchen light as a fleeting spark of concern graced his gaze. ”Are you eating okay? You seem thin.”

I was momentarily surprised that he had noticed. Most of the time he seemed barely in the land of the living.

I looked at him incredulously. ”You’re one to talk, Daddy.”

He aimed for a smile, but it was unpracticed and wobbly. ”Point well made and received, daughter.”

I leaned my hip against the edge of the counter, pressing my elbows into the thick cardigan I wore while trying to still my shivers and keeping my cup of tea from spilling over as I raised the warm liquid to my lips. Taking a sip, letting it slide hotly down my throat, I looked at him over the rim of my cup, ”How about a peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich…?”, hoping that he would go for it. Even if it was just to be nice to me or to keep me company.

He really needed to eat something.

And after my rendezvous with Max, I found myself ravenous. It was the first time since Max had announced that he was going to find a way to not be connected to me that I had something resembling an appetite.

The connection still had to be broken, and my life was probably going to be hell from now on, but just knowing that Max was on my side in all of this, made it easier.

”That actually sounds delicious,” my dad said and stepped into the kitchen.

”Great,” I smiled, my heart feeling light. I could see a small sign of my dad, like he was before the fire. Maybe there was hope of getting him back from that deep well of sorrow.

Would I even be aware of my dad once Sean had gotten a hold of me?

Would I still be me?

Would I still notice if my dad was doing okay or would I walk around in a haze, like a zombie..?

Overcome with pitch black sadness, I pulled my father into a hug as he passed by me. I pressed my cold nose into the curve of his neck and squeezed my eyes tightly closed. I noticed the surprise in the tentativeness with which he hugged me back and my arms tightened around him.

”I love you, Daddy,” I whispered, swallowing back the tears.

Would I continue to love my father? Or would my feelings (the ones that were not mind controlled) go away?

There were so many things I still didn’t know about my recently mapped-out future. Would I only be in Sean’s control when he was with me or would I be mind-controlled all the time? And if it was only part-time, would I be aware of Sean’s effect on me or would I believe the lie that Sean would be feeding me?

”I love you too, honey,” dad answered and returned my tight squeeze.

I felt his shoulder blades jut out though his sweatshirt and concern flared.

Who would take care of my dad once I was ’gone’?

”You feel really cold,” my dad whispered, interrupting the concern-induced anxiety which was tightening my stomach. ”Are you getting sick?”

I took a deep breath, steeling myself for leaving his embrace, and took a step back.

”I’m just tired,” I answered and produced a thin smile. ”Makes it difficult to maintain body temperature, I guess.”

My dad lightly grabbed my chin and angled my face up to his. He looked very paternal all of the sudden, telling me to, ”You have to take care of yourself.”

”So do you,” I whispered, my voice breaking as my dad looked guilty.

”I know,” he mumbled and let go of my chin, averting his eyes. ”And I’m sorry.”

I hesitated, not knowing if I was overstepping some boundaries in the father-daughter relationship, before suggesting, ”Maybe you should talk to someone. A grief counselor.”

Dad didn’t react the way I had expected. He looked perfectly comfortable with that suggestion, and I suspected that he had been considering it himself once or twice. ”Yes. I think I should do that.”

A real, happy, smile crept onto my lips and I tied the scarf closer around my neck to fight of the chills as I turned towards the pantry. ”Let’s make ourselves something to eat.”

”Sounds great,” dad replied and sank down on a kitchen chair.
My ribs were aching, my head was pounding, my abdomen felt sore and I could have sworn my jaw was in the wrong position.

By now, I knew what this meant. I just didn’t want to face it.

I didn’t want to believe that Max had dropped me off in the early morning hours, only to return home and get abused (even though he had alluded to that exact grim future just after having spoken to his father).

And it was because of me. He was hurting now because of me.

I hadn’t felt the actual abuse, only the injuries slowly blooming out over my body. They had followed the chill, the chill which had slowly been freezing me to the core, even when I was wearing five layers of clothing, a beanie, a scarf and mittens.

And now I was sitting on the side of my bed, my knees bopping restlessly up and down, my arms wrapped tightly around my middle to preserve heat, trying to figure out what to do.

I looked at the clock on my bedside table. 4.11 a.m. Only one minute had passed since I last looked at it.

I was supposed to stay away from Max. I was supposed to break the connection to him. Tonight. As he had dropped me off outside of my apartment, Max had informed me quietly, ”Try and break the connection tonight. Sean won’t waste any time and I don’t want him to find out that the connection he thought he broke through in the gym is back in place.”

Obviously, I hadn’t broken the connection yet. Otherwise I wouldn’t be feeling everything he was feeling right now.

Max was scared and in pain. I was pretty sure I was only feeling a small fraction of it. Most prevalent to me was the cold. Was he outside? Because the cold must be coming from him. There was no other reason why I couldn’t get warm.

I wasn’t ready to break the connection yet. I had planned on not doing so until Sean was actually standing in front of me - wanting to force entry into my mind. I wanted to wait until the last possible second before I lost Max’s presence from my mind.

I looked over at the clock. Still 4.11 a.m.

My gaze trailed to my cell phone, lying quiet next to the clock.

I hesitated, digging my fingers into the multiple layers of clothing, ignoring the pain from my ribs at the increased pressure and decided to count to ten.

One.

I needed to stay away.

Two.

We had decided. We had decided together.

Three.

Sean was my future. I had to forget about Max.

Four.

He was only one of my classmates now.

Five.

I was going to desperately miss him.

Six.

Would I be able to survive without Max? Even with Sean’s dominance over my mind?

Seven.

I glanced at the clock again. 4.12 a.m.

Eight.

I bit my bottom lip and remembered how Max had bit it too.

I abruptly reached for my cell phone.

Fuck this.

I found his number in my contacts, dialed and waited for an answer.

”Liz?” There was clear surprise in his tired and sluggish voice. Apparently, I had woken him up.

”Hey,” I mumbled, highly aware of the nervous rhythm of my heartbeat. ”Sorry for waking you.”

”What’s up, Liz?” he asked, sidestepping all the polite chit-chat, his voice serious and worried.

”I need your help,” I declared simply, hoping that he wouldn’t hang up.

He groaned. ”Last time you asked for my help, you wouldn’t speak to me for a week.”

”I know. I’ll explain everything later.”

”I think I’m quite well-aware of the reason behind your silence,” he said quietly.

Of course he was. He was an alien, after all. They seemed to know everything. And he probably knew that I had figured him out. That he was not my long-time human friend any longer.

I briefly wondered how much he knew about the situation. Did he know that my mind had supposedly been erased just hours post figuring out that he was an alien? Either he didn’t (otherwise he wouldn’t have alluded to something I should no longer have any knowledge of) or he had been let in on the secret that Max had faked the wipe of my mind.

But why would Max tell Alex about it?

No, Alex probably just didn’t know that I was supposed to be oblivious. So I settled for a mumbled, ”Right.”

”But I’m glad you called,” he hinted with a hopeful lightness to his confession.

”I’m not ready-” I started hurriedly, because I wanted him to know - in the nicest way possible - that I might not be ready to forgive and forget yet. That I only needed him right now because he might just be the only one that could help me.

Alex saved me from turning the conversation into a circus of awkwardness. ”How can I help you, Liz?”

”I…” I trailed off and glanced at the clock. 4.14 a.m. Pain was slowly spreading across my right eye and I knew that this was the right thing to do. I licked my lips and blurted out, ”I need your help breaking into Max Evans’ house.”

TBC... (right below)
Last edited by max and liz believer on Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Unbreakable (M/L, AU)
Facebook Page
My Imagination

Instagram: author_josephin_ripa
max and liz believer
Obsessed Roswellian

THIRTY-SEVEN

Post by max and liz believer »

THIRTY-SEVEN

”You won’t find him in here.”

I jumped, stifling a cry as Alex gasped next to me. We simultaneously turned in the direction of Max’s bedroom door, towards the voice, wearing the guilty expressions of the intruders that we were.

Isabel was casually leaning against the doorframe, wearing a somewhat amused expression. She raised one well-plucked eyebrow at Alex and stated simply, ”Alex.”

”Isabel,” Alex confirmed next to me.

”So,” Isabel said suavely, looking at me, ”Breaking and entering, huh?” She put her head to the side, her eyes turning incredulous. ”What’s it going to take for you to back off, Liz?”

I opened my mouth to answer, my heart beating harshly in my ribcage, but Isabel simply raised her hand in a ’Quiet, please’-gesture and looked at Alex. ”And you… Helping her?” She pursed her lips. ”Let me guess; you’re trying to get on her good side again?”

Pushing off the doorframe, a delicate frown settled in the porcelain skin of Isabel’s forehead, and she stepped into the room.

”I didn’t know she meant so much to you, Whitman,” she mused. Shaking her head with a disapproving clicking of her tongue, she added, ”Risking your well-being like this. For a human.”

I froze. She knew. Isabel knew that I knew. She obviously didn’t have any trouble insinuating that neither she nor Alex were quite human in front of me.

Maybe it had been foolish of me to assume that my discoveries had been kept secret. Had Max told Isabel? Were they close? Did they talk about these kind of things?

But most importantly; was Isabel’s knowing going to be a good or bad thing for my situation?

”I’m surprised you still trust him,” Isabel said, obviously addressing me, but keeping her eyes on Alex.

It was as if I was not in the room. Whatever was going on was between Isabel and Alex. I could feel it in the vibrations in the room, the way the air wobbled around us.

”I mean,” Isabel said slowly, stopping right in front of Alex. Isabel was fairly tall for a girl, which meant that Alex was one of the few guys I had seen actually rise above her height. She placed a dark red painted nail to his lower lip, her eyes drawn to the location of that finger while Alex stared back at her silently.

”How would you know that he is good…” a slow smile spread across her full lips as she looked up and met Alex’s stare, ”…or bad?”

I felt a blush spread across my cheeks, locally warming my cold face, and watched the same thing happen to Alex’s face.

Isabel ran her tongue slowly over her bottom lip as she pressed down on his lip with her finger, making it press downwards until she released it and it plopped back into place.

I gasped as strong desire whipped through me and Isabel’s soft laughter was like an abrupt cold shower.

”Has he told you of his ability yet?” Isabel asked and turned her head to look at me with curiosity.

I numbly shook my head, desire rippling through me while at the same time (oddly enough) I felt like grabbing her roughly by the shoulders and teaching her a thing or two about playing with my emotions.

”You’re probably feeling the effects right now,” Isabel said, her smile white against her slightly rosy cheeks. She looked as flustered as I felt. ”At least, I can.”

Huh?

Isabel looked back at Alex and her voice turned almost condescending, as if she was speaking to a child, ”Alex doesn’t have that much control over his powers yet.”

”What is it?” I whispered, my eyes flickering between Isabel and Alex. ”Is it another mind control?”

Was I being fooled into seeing what I was seeing? But it didn’t feel the same way as when Sean was controlling me. I felt perfectly like myself.

Well, apart from the icy cold that had settled into my bones, the phantom pain from injuries across my body and the inexplicable longing to have sex with Isabel.

My eyes widened and I whipped my head to Alex. Wait…

Isabel laughed. Probably at my expression. ”Yeah, that’s right. Alex here is an empath. He can regulate emotions of the people around him. If he’s not careful, he’ll also project his own feelings to people around him. Like now.”

A strong sense of discomfort and embarrassment hit me (Alex’s feelings) and I softened with sympathy for my friend. It all made sense. Why I had always felt so comfortable in Alex’s company. He had regulated my feelings. My first reaction was to feel used and hurt, but rather quickly the rational side of me decided that Alex’s ability seemed to be one of the nice ones. Like Max’s.

Not like Sean’s. And, relatively speaking, that was a good thing.

”Where’s Max?” I asked and I could tell that my sudden change of topic had surprised Isabel.

Isabel sighed and put some space between her and Alex. ”You really should go home, Liz.”

I crossed my arms over my chest. ”I’m not leaving. He’s somewhere in this house.”

”Alex didn’t tell you?” Isabel asked, a touch of smugness in her question.

I narrowed my eyes at her before glancing at Alex. Isabel was trying to play on the fresh insecurities that were already between Alex and I. But I needed Alex right now. I needed to trust him on this. I didn’t know Isabel. Didn’t know if she was one of the good guys or not - as she herself had put it.

”Alex helped me get into Max’s room, because we both assumed that he was in here. I didn’t think he would be somewhere else this early in the morning.” My voice was tense. I was getting fed up with this. Max could be hurt somewhere while we were just standing around. Flirting. Well, I was watching Isabel flirt with Alex.

Isabel looked at me for two long seconds before she sighed in resignation. ”Fine.” Turning around, she moved her arm behind her in a ’Come along’-gesture and walked out the room. Expecting us to follow.

I glanced at Alex.

He read my face and whispered, ”We can trust her.”

I swallowed, wondering if he was affecting my mood right then and if that was the reason why I was so easily reassured by his declaration and found myself moving towards the door.

Isabel was waiting for her outside. She looked at us with impatience before quickly scanning the surroundings. As I had seen Max do so many times before. I distractedly wondered if paranoia was sprinkled on top of their breakfast cereal growing up.

”Be quiet,” she ordered, before turning around and walking down the corridor.

On reflex, I grabbed Alex’s hand to still my trembling nerves and together we followed Isabel down the stairs to the first floor, only to proceed by taking the stairs to the basement.

Of course, since this was a mansion, the basement wasn’t the regular dark and musty level as it was in many houses. This basement consisted of large rooms off to the sides of a well-lit hallway. It was nicely decorated and gave a very homey impression.

Still, I found myself drawing closer to Alex as we walked down the hallway. There was a chill in the air. A chill that resonated with the chill deep within my bones.

Isabel lead us all the way to the end of the hallway, to a closed wooden door. She turned around, a hesitant look on her face as Alex and I looked at her silently.

Inhaling deeply, she addressed me evenly, ”I would have lent you a jacket or something, but for some reason you seem to already be wearing a ridiculous amount of clothing, so…”

I frowned. ”Why would I need a jacket?”

Isabel’s eyes flickered to Alex, which had me also looking at Alex. His face was blank, avoiding my eyes.

”Liz. This is your opportunity to turn around. Alex will take you home.” I looked back at Isabel’s serious face, felt the pulsating pain in my abdomen and for the first time I acknowledged that the buzz of Max’s presence at the back of my head was loud.

Max was close.

”He’s behind that door, isn’t he?” I asked Isabel.

Instead of answering my question, Isabel asked slowly, ”Are you sure about this?”, her eyes firmly trained on my face.

I was as certain as my voice was firm, ”Open the door, Isabel.”

Isabel looked at me closely for a second, before shrugging. ”It’s your funeral.”

A shiver ran through me at her choice of words, wondering how true it actually was. Suddenly I was very afraid of what I would find on the other side of that door.

Isabel opened a small cabinet next to the door, revealing a keypad, and entered a code while shielding the keys she was hitting behind her hand.

There was a noticeable click from the door and Isabel closed the door to the cabinet before pressing down on the door handle.

Cold air swept towards me and I had time to register that the door was actually a metal door, with a deceiving wooden panel on the outside, before I saw his shape at the far end of the room.

My chest tightened as adrenaline mixed with concern, anger and fear simultaneously exploded inside of me. The sounds around me turned muffled until I heard only the sound of my own pounding heart in my ears as I practically ran across the white tiled floor towards him.

I fell to my knees, sliding across the ice-cold floor for a feet or two - my body propelled by my speed - and brought my hands to his face.

Tears were already blurring my vision and my hands were shaking as I brushed them through his hair, down his bare shoulders and his chilled arms.

I vaguely registered that he was basically naked, wearing only a pair of boxers, curled up in a tight fetal position on his side, with a whiteness to his cold skin and a blue tint to his lips.

”Max? Max?” My voice was frantic, my thumbs brushing across his closed eyelids, and I might have thought he was dead if it hadn’t been for the mental presence of his mind at the back of my own.

I whipped my head towards the door, where Isabel was silently observing us with an unreadable expression. ”Help him! He’s freezing!”

”This is his punishment,” Isabel said quietly. ”It’s the law.”

The law?

Anger was blazing through my heart and I snapped my head back to Max’s prone body.

”Max?” I breathed, a tear sliding down my face.

His voice was faint, his eyes still closed, as he mumbled, ”Liz?”

I sagged at his voice, bending down to press my face into the cold nook of his neck. I placed a quivering kiss against his skin before whispering, ”What are they doing to you?”

”No,” he whispered and I felt him move. ”You can’t be here.”

I pulled back and watched his lips start to tremble with the return to consciousness, shivering in response to the cold.

”Get him some clothes,” I demanded without looking at the two aliens that were standing - just standing and watching - over by the door. ”Now!”

”We can’t do that,” Isabel replied with remorse in her voice.

I turned to look at Alex, burrowing my eyes through his head. He shifted uncomfortably, scratching behind his ear.

”Alex…” My voice was a promised warning. If he didn’t-

”It’s the law,” Alex said, echoing Isabel’s excuse.

I bit the inside of my cheek, trying to control my anger and frustration.

Why are they not helping? How could they just stand there?

Monsters. They’re all monsters.

”Leave, Liz. Please.”

I whipped my head back to Max, finding his eyes looking up at me. But they were not the same warm brown hue, glinting with fire and sometimes mischief. These eyes were watered out, bland and lifeless.

Had they done this to him every time? First beaten him up and then thrown him in here? Was this common practice?

My whole body was tightening and I felt like jumping to my feet, crossing the room and strangling the life out of Isabel Evans if she didn’t help me help Max.

But I couldn’t get myself to leave his side. Instead, I shrugged out of the jacket and the cardigan I wore. They were too small for him to wear, but I placed them over his trembling shoulders, hoping they would give him some warmth.

I pulled the beanie off my head and gently pulled it down over his hair, down over his ears.

The look in his eyes as he was watching me unsuccessfully dress him was tearing me apart. ”Iz, get her out of here. Before dad-”

”I’m not leaving,” I grumbled, getting annoyed with him. I got that he was afraid of what his father would do were he to find me here. But I honestly didn’t care. Not as long as Max was isolated in a bright white tiled room at chilling degrees wearing nothing but his underwear.

”We should leave,” Alex said.

”You’ve seen him now,” Isabel reinforced. ”It’s time to leave.”

I ignored them, instead laying down on my side so that I was facing Max. I don’t know if he was trying to fight me or push me away, but he didn't seem to have the energy to do either as I positioned my head on his arm - the one closest to the floor - and pushed the front of my body up against the front of his, pulling his other arm down in the curve of my waist.

I slung my uppermost positioned leg over his thigh and scooted my lower body up against his. I ignored the feel of his body against mine, of the hardness of the muscles underneath that chilled skin, and wrapped my arms tightly around his shoulders.

I was trying to, the best way I could with my slight frame, wrap him up in my body heat.

The cold from the floor and the chill from his normally really warm body, was already seeping through my layers of clothing and I tried to resist the temptation of my jaw to shake.

Instead I focused on the connection, trying to reach him through it. I had presumed that his defenses would be down, that I would be hearing his thoughts and feeling his every emotion. But I could feel the weakness of his mind, could feel him circling in and out of consciousness.

”Alex, you need to take her out of here,” I heard Isabel say.

”You obviously don’t know Liz as well as I do,” Alex grumbled in reply. ”You don’t get her to do anything she doesn’t want to.”

”So we should just leave her here? On the floor? With Max? And wait for my father to check in and see what he will do?”

”You’re just protecting your own skin. Afraid that you’ll get punished for taking her here?”

I could hear the smirk in Alex’s voice and I briefly considered how Alex never had as much as glanced at Isabel during our upbringing, but how Isabel and Alex were now talking as if they’d known each other for years. And they probably had. Just not officially.

I ran my fingers up Max’s cold bicep, over his shoulder, and up the side of his neck, watching the goosebumps form in the trail of my fingers before I buried my hand in his hair. I loved his hair. It was so soft. Gently letting my fingers massage his scalp, I scooted even closer and pressed my lips softly to his closed eyelid, brushing against the painful blackness surrounding his eye.

A trembling sigh floated from his mouth and I felt a boost of fire through my body.

”No,” Isabel answered Alex with a snap. ”But she’s interfering. And you know as well as I do that she’s not protected here. She’s breaking the law now, too.”

”And what kind of law is that?” I whispered, but my voice was clear enough to cut through ice. The question sliced through the chill of the room and made Alex shift uncomfortably and Isabel tense.

Our law,” Isabel stated.

”Alien law?” I asked, my thumb brushing over Max’s eyebrows, down across his closed eyes and his dark long eyelashes. I never had a chance to get this close when he was alert. I had never felt brave enough to adore his features with my fingers before.

”Yes,” Isabel confirmed.

”Don’t you have human- I mean, alien rights? Or at least, your equivalent of humane?”

”This is our way of punishing individuals that do not follow the rules,” Isabel replied, her voice rigid. ”You have your jails and prisons; for obvious reasons we can’t have anything as public as that. So everyone has to build a room like this, which can serve as a pool room or home cinema under normal circumstances, but which are used to restrain our own when they break the law. It’s nothing different from what you humans are doing.”

”We don’t torture our criminals,” I bit out, my leg tightening around Max’s hip and a weak wave of heat flowed through my body, ignited by Max.

”You did, not too long ago.”

”So, you’re doing it the medieval way in the 21st century?” I asked tightly. ”How visionary. I would have thought - since you were advanced enough to travel through space and successfully inhabit another planet - that you would be more advanced than that.”

There was a moment of silence, before Isabel answered coldly, ”You think you know so much about us, just because Max has told you a thing or two? Huh? You know nothing about us.” Her voice rose, ”Nothing!”

I pressed my face into the hollow between his chin and the top of his chest, my silent tears wetting his numbed skin and I doubted that they could hear me as I said, ”How long will he be in here?”

But Isabel heard me. ”In total; 24 hours.”

”On whose order? Your father’s?”

”No. Of course not.” She had the audacity to sound offended. ”This is ordered by the sergeant. No one else is allowed to make the decisions.”

My chest trembled with my strained breath. ”He’s the judge too?” Before Isabel could answer, I bit out, ”So this is a dictatorship?”

”No,” I could tell that Isabel was getting annoyed. Angry even. ”But he is in charge with upholding the law.”

”And what is Max’s crime?” I had a suspicion about the answer, but I needed her to tell me.

Isabel’s laugh was short and bitter. ”Why don’t you tell us? You were there.”

”Liz, we really should be going,” Alex interrupted, sounding antsy and worried.

I pressed myself closer to Max, ignoring that I was now myself terribly cold and shivering.

”Max accused Sean of trying to rape you. Of either getting you drunk, drugging you or both, to make you defenseless. Max made the whole thing very public by dragging both Maria DeLuca and the principal into it.”

I inhaled deeply against the sudden guilt as Isabel confirmed my hunches. Damn it.

”Let’s just say that turning against your own and hanging them out to the humans, is very much frowned upon within our community.”

My eyes fell on the small area of bruising over Max’s left shoulder, the blackness around his eye and the dried blood to the abrasion on his cheek. My body was trembling, not only with cold but with concern for him. If I had been stronger, if only I had been bigger, I would have carried him out of here - damn the consequences.

”He did it to save me,” I mumbled sadly, trying to rein in my tears.

I heard someone cross the floor and felt the heat from that body as it stopped next to the coiled up shapes of Max and I.

”I know,” Isabel said softly and crouched down behind my back. I flinched as she put a hand on my hip. ”But they don’t care about that.” I felt heat flow into my hip, into my body, and I realized that she was trying to heat me up. ”What Max did was serious. He has jeopardized our cover, jeopardized the sergeant’s position and reputation.”

My heart skipped a beat in anger as the heat from her hand continued to flow into my hip, and I looked up at her perfect face with burning eyes. ”Why don’t you heat up your brother instead of me?!”

She grimaced sadly, glancing at her barely conscious brother. ”Because I’m not allowed to.” She paused and licked her lips. ”But you are. You’re not restricted by alien law.”

I frowned. Was she suggesting that I should transfer the heat that she was giving me to Max?

”Don’t look so shocked,” Isabel said. ”I know that you’re connected. You’re probably already giving him heat, that’s why you are getting colder so quickly.”

My mouth went dry as I stuttered, ”How?” and looked at Max’s pale face.

Out of the corner of my eye, Isabel shrugged. ”I’ve never been connected to anyone, so I don’t know the details.”

How could I feed him energy? I needed to help him. It was, after all, my fault that he was in this situation. I pulled on my memories of how he usually connected to me. Of how he looked into my eyes, cradled my face with his (usually) warm hands…

But Max’s eyes were closed and I could tell from the faint buzz of our constant bond that his semi-conscious state wouldn’t allow me to contact him through mere eye contact.

”You know what to do,” Isabel whispered. ”And once you’ve done it; you need to leave.”

I looked at her, feeling a sudden kinship to Max’s sister. She had finally understood that I wouldn’t leave Max’s side until I had made sure that I had helped him in some way, that he was feeling better. She had finally realized that she couldn’t force me to leave.

”Okay?” Isabel asked.

”Yes,” I whispered and took a deep breath, suddenly knowing what to do.

I shut out the surroundings, blurred out Isabel’s curious eyes and Alex’s presence by the door, and leaned in.

We were alone now.

I kept my eyes open as I, for the first time, instigated the fusion of our lips. His were cold against my warm ones, but the contrast only heightened the (always) overwhelming sensation of kissing him.

I was aware of the pulsating flow of heat through my hip, originally supplied by Isabel, as I gently coaxed Max back into awareness with a soft slow nibbling of his lips.

Our bond fluttered and an invisible line formed from my hip, along the length of my upper body, to the place where my lips were fused with his.

His feelings were coming alive in my mind, his consciousness waking up as he started to reciprocate my kiss. I could feel his confusion blend with fear, in the midst of an incredibly warm sensation. Gratitude. And love.

Then the arm that I had positioned in the curve of my waist flexed, flushing my body with his as his hand moved up the back of my neck and buried itself in my hair as he pressed my head closer, deepening the kiss.

Desire was awakening, curling my cold toes, flowing deliciously up my legs and settling hotly in my core as I felt his strong demanding presence return.

My fingers ran down the side of his face and, as if in response, his eyes snapped open. My heart faltered before I fell.

I gasped as heat brushed through my body, sparked at my lips, and left my body with something akin to a pulling force. His eyes widened, but he didn’t stop kissing me.

It was something fascinating to watch and feel the emotions in his eyes while he gently met my lips. Over and over again.

A comforting sleepiness and daze was washing over me, making me want to curl up even closer (but that wasn’t possible; we were as close to each other that was physically possible) and go to sleep.

As soon as that feeling came over me, Max pulled away.

”Enough,” he whispered thinly, his voice a very weak replica of his normal strength.

I felt him pushing at the connection, forcing me away, closing himself off as a chilliness spread through my body.

”No,” I protested, my hand tugging at the hair at the base of his neck. ”You need more.”

He sighed, deep concern in the eyes that were more alive now than before. ”Leave.”

He was going to be here for more than 20 hours. He needed more. ”No-”

”Iz,” Max interrupted, and even though his voice was barely there in strength, he still managed to sound authoritative. Naturally, I was made aware of the fact that we were not alone. Something I had tried very hard to make myself forget.

”Alex,” Isabel said in response, calling to the attention of the guy at the door.

”Before dad comes to check on me,” Max continued and coughed.

I pressed my body against his, melting my hand against his bloodied cheek, and whispered with my eyes strongly locked with his, ”No. You need more.”

His face softened and his fingers in my hair curled tenderly against the back of my head. A small smile settled on his lips and he whispered, ”Yes.” I bit my lip, unconsciously attracting his eyes. Those eyes darkened with a familiar emotion as he added, ”But even more, I need you to be safe.” He coughed again and I shuddered at his weakness. ”And you’re not safe here.”

Alex’s hand closed around my upper arm. His touch was warm even through my multiple layers of clothing. ”Liz. It’s time to go.”

My eyes were still on Max as he mumbled, ”Break the connection.”

”Not yet,” I whispered back, a tear tumbling down my cheek.

Grief so intense and bright that it abruptly sliced through me flashed in his eyes before he closed them and pressed his lips to mine in a gentle caress. Pulling back, he caught my eyes again, let his hand flutter down my spine before he removed it from my body.

I shivered at the coldness and tightened my leg across his thigh in response, displaying my reluctance at his withdrawal.

”As long as it’s before Sean notices it,” Max compromised, letting me keep the connection for as long as the Gods of fate would allow.

Alex’s hand around my arm tightened. ”Liz?”

”Go,” Max whispered and pressed his lips to my forehead.

I sighed, tightening my embrace, before scooting my stiff body away from his. Alex bent to help me to my feet as Isabel’s warm presence took my other arm and helped me regain my balance.

My chest was tight with anxiety, worry, fear and deep grief as I looked down at his naked shape on the floor. He was shivering again, his skin turning gradually whiter almost in front of my eyes, and his eyes were already closed.

I felt the buzz at the back of my head diminishing and my frustration grew along with it. Had my energy helped him at all? It didn’t even seem to last.

”He’ll be fine,” Isabel said next to me, taking my hand. I let her hold it, feeling like I was about to crumble.

”Once his punishment is over, he’ll be healed,” Alex explained.

I fought my tears as Isabel, still holding on to my hand, bent down and picked up my jacket and cardigan and gently pulled my beanie off Max’s head. She silently bundled up the articles of clothing under her arm and I felt her questioning look on the side of my face.

”We need to leave,” Alex mumbled. ”Now.”

I swallowed and nodded. With one final look at Max, I let the aliens turn me around and walk me out of the freezing room.

TBC...
Last edited by max and liz believer on Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Unbreakable (M/L, AU)
Facebook Page
My Imagination

Instagram: author_josephin_ripa
Morning Dreamgirl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Unbreakable (AU M/L ADULT) Ch 36+37, 9/2/15, p. 31

Post by Morning Dreamgirl »

But the upside is we get to celebrate now that the board is back. Gonna read when my phone finishes charging. *Taps fingers while watching battery*
Roswelllostcause
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Roswelllostcause »

OK so Isabel knows that Liz knows and is connected to Max. Alex also seemed to know that Liz was in on the secret. On Sean and his dad better run from me! Cause after giving them a good old Detroit woman beat down I will chain them to that bus you are getting and drag them behind it down the pot hole infested Michigan roads! Some of the pot holes look like the babies of the Grand Canyon!

Helen
Check out my Author page for a list of my fics!

http://www.roswellfanatics.net/viewtopi ... 1&t=155639
Alien_Friend
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Alien_Friend »

Please tell me that Liz won't go through with breaking the bond. Please, please, please. It would be so friggin sad. There just has to be a better way. :( Please tell me there's a better way. There just has to be.

I wonder if each punishment for breaking the law is 24hrs or if it depends on the crime. It's one thing to discipline your child by grounding them or something but to play police and beat him up then proceed to through him into a cold cell because someone else told you to. What kind of parent does that? I don't see any redeeming qualities to Philip Evans. None. Isabel insinuated that Philip was a good person. I think he doesn't let her see his ugly side.

I am not surprised to find out Sean killed Liz's mom. It seems like something he would do. Go Nancy for fighting to protect her daughter though. Liz needs to think about this. She knows her mom was fighting for her so why would she let that be in vain and actually think to break the connection. She has no protection without it. This isn't what her mother died for. I get Liz not wanting Max to be hurt by her but he made his own choices. He knew what the consequences were and he helped her anyways.

I was so happy for Max and Liz when they allowed each other to have that fleeting moment. It was a beautiful scene. It sucks Mr. Evans had to ruin it though. The whole make out session and Max letting Liz see how he feels for her does this mean he believes she cares about him in spite of the bond?

I wonder why Philip didn't mention that Max whipped Liz's memory to the sergeant. Perhaps he was actually trying play the role of a father. Or who knows. I kind of wish he would get himself into trouble with the sergeant instead of Max.

I wished when Liz was trying to reason with Alex and Iz they would have listened. She made some excellent arguments. I don't get why they are so afraid to break the rules. I don't get why they can't get together with a group of them that feel the same about the rules and join forces. It might start some kind of civil war and that would be dangerous for the humans but at some point something has give against these archaic rules. Hey Max could be the leader? :lol: Where have I heard that before?

Man, it scared the heck out of me when the sit was down yesterday. I was freaking out thinking I would never get to continue reading this story. I was so sad. So when I learnt all was right again I had to seize the opportunity to see if you updated and to my pleasant surprise there wasn't just a couple new chapters but 4. :) They were wonderful. Thank you very much.

You are spoiling us with these two chapters per update. I hope it is the new normal. ;)
L-J-L 76
Roswell Fanatic

Post by L-J-L 76 »

Great Chapter!!!! Please please please please please please please please please come back and post more really really really really soon? I can't wait to read what will happen next for Max and Liz. I fell so sorry for Max and Liz. Liz is getting cold and Max is in a dark freezing place. I can't believe the way the serge and the other aliens are punishing Max for being with Liz and letting the town know Sean tried to rape Liz. I'm glad Liz got Alex to help he break into Max's house. I can't believe Isabel was there waiting for them. I'm glad that Isabel let Liz help Max. I think it was a good for Liz to leave. Who knows what would have happened if Liz and Alex were there when Mr. Evans comes back.I wonder when Alex is going to tell Liz about his powers. And I wonder what will happen when Liz and Max go to school the next day.

L-J-L 76

P.S I agree with Morning Dream Girl let's party the board is back. I am so doing my happy dance!!!!!
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Great news......two chapters!
Liz......no, no, not ever is Sean your future.
Breaking in Max's house.......is that really a good idea?
Liz, please keep the connection and don't break it.
Thanks,
Carolyn