Of Journals & Journeys (AU M/L, YTEEN) Ch. 62 Pg 22 - 12 / 29 [COMPLETE]

This is the place to post stories that significantly alter the show's canon or mythology such as prequels, backgrounds for the characters that differ from on the show, fics where different characters are alien, and alternative family relationships. These fics must contain aliens or alien storylines as part of their plot.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Hunter, Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

clueless
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Of Journals & Journeys (AU M/L, YTEEN) Ch. 53 Pg 13 - 7 / 13

Post by clueless »

Just checking to see if you updated :wink:
Misha
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Of Journals & Journeys (AU M/L, YTEEN) Ch. 53 Pg 13 - 7 / 13

Post by Misha »

Update coming right away!

For anyone who has just realized I'm posting again, I've been posting new chapters since page 11 :)

Countless days...

It's strange how things turn out sometimes. How a bunch of strangers that had nothing in common end up being friends. How my need to get out of the drug and out of the base put Parker and Whitman on a direct collision with my life, not to mention John and his wife.

I don't know how any of this will end, I just hope is not with someone dying.

Chapter Fifty-Four
Breakable

Breathing hurt. Moving hurt more. Thinking about moving was the worst. In the dark corners of his mind, memory eluded him. All he got back was bits and pieces of a motel room, rain, and something about a spaceship. I’m drugged, he concluded, his training kicking in as he assumed he'd been captured by the enemy.

The thought compelled him to open his eyes, no matter how much his body protested. He found darkness, but while his eyes adjusted to the dim light, he realized he wasn’t confined. In fact, it looked like he was on a coach, a pillow under his head. By the narrow windows on the walls, he guessed he was on a basement. The light coming in had to be from a nearby street lamp, so it was night, but he had no idea what time exactly.

He tried to sit up and the world moved in dangerous ways. He was too weak to do much of anything, so he laid back again. Vaguely, he realized that his shirt was soaked, his body felt hot, and he was thirsty. He was on someone’s house, but if he had broken in or if someone had guided him here, was anyone’s guess.

He took a deep breath and willed his fuzzy mind to focus. On the ceiling, a curious crack ran in three different directions, and he wondered what could have caused that.

Where am I? he wondered again as his eyes finally adjusted, revealing lab equipment and counters, with glass shattered everywhere. It looked as if someone had been on a fight down here. At the back of his mind, something told him to stop looking for answers he was not going to like.

Voices reached him then, faint and unintelligible, but it was a warning that he wouldn’t be alone for long. With a renew sense of purpose, Max managed to sit up and leaned against the wall, a far better position to defend himself rather than laying on his back.

“No. He hasn’t moved since I came,” a man said, in a familiar voice Max couldn’t place.

“I’m far more concerned about him bringing my entire house down, to tell you the truth,” a woman answered, but this voice was a complete blank in his memory.

A door opened somewhere nearby, and lights were turned on, showing the scale of the destruction that had taken place. He ignored it. Max steadied his breathing as he raised his hand. He was not going to be able to do much, so he had to make it count.

“Oh! You’re finally awake!” Whitman’s enthusiastic smile was a relief, and Max dropped his arm. Even doing that little had cost him too much energy.

Behind Whitman’s tall frame, a blond woman walked in, a clinical look on her face. He’d seen her before, somewhere, maybe on a file on a computer screen—

—or in John’s memories.

“You’re John’s wife,” he whispered, his voice strangely low.

“Anne, yes,” she said, extending a tentative hand in front of her, as if he expected to find something invisible there. “You had a telekinetic wall surrounding you. It was impossible to reach you when you started trashing my lab. I bet you’re sore all over.”

“What?” she was talking too fast and telling him way too many things.
She realized this, and sighed in resignation.

“What’s the last thing you remember?” she asked instead, opening a drawer and getting a flashlight out.

“I—” a kaleidoscope of memories rushed into his mind, none of them making sense. Frank warning him to get out. Maggs telling him to wait for her. John walking into a spaceship. And above it all, Parker’s terrified eyes as he closed the door to a motel room. He was going to get his fix, no matter what.

“Take your time,” Anne was saying, flashing a light on his eyes, startling him out of his mind. He moved back, out of her reach, following the elusive memory.

“Where’s Parker?” he blurted out, as Anne tried again with the flashlight.

“Sleeping,” Whitman answered. “John told her to bring you here, and I told her where here actually is. I flew on the first flight I could find, but by that time, she’d already been watching you for—”

“Slow down,” Anne said, willing Max to follow the light for the third time. “He’s barely awake, and not all here, are you?”

“Is she okay?” Max asked, the only answer that mattered—the only answer he needed.

“Yes,” both said at the same time.

“Now, let’s try this again,” Anne said, placing a hand on his wrist while looking at her watch, effectively taking his pulse. “What’s the last thing you remember?”

He thought about it. “Summer wanted to see me in his office. He—he wants to be the one to give me my shot. I don’t think… I don’t think he gave it to me?”

She nodded. “Go on.”

“I’m running. In the woods. I’m escaping… I’m escaping Summers? That can’t be right.” It hurt to remember.

“Alex, could you bring Max a glass of water? He’s still running a fever.”

“On it.”

Whitman left, and Anne’s serious eyes met his. “You left the base under the influence of some drug, so someone wasn’t playing nice with you.”

“They did?” The fog surrounding reality became thinner, letting him remember with more clarity. He was in a motel room, rain was falling hard. “It was Summers…” he whispered with certainty.

“I don’t know,” Anne said, “But somewhere down the line you met with Liz, and then John. At some point, my demented husband took your place and went back to that damn base.”

“He went to the spaceship,” Max said, the memory hitting him as if Anne had slapped him. It looked like she wanted to slap someone, anyway.

“He found it?” she asked, bewildered. “After all this time, I thought he’d let it go. I thought—” she stopped in midsentence, and looked at Max with a frown. “How do you know he found it?”

“I think I dreamwalk him or something.”

“So you know he’s alive?”

Max thought about it for a second. “He was. I saw him getting in. He knew exactly where to go and what to do.”

She sighed, defeated. “If they don’t kill you, I will,” she muttered. She closed her eyes for a moment, and nodded once to herself.

“He said he wanted to destroy it,” Max pressed, memories and questions becoming clearer by the minute. “He said something about—”

“Antar, I bet,” she said, dismissive.

“What is it? What does it mean?”

Whitman came down with a tall glass of water right then. Max reached for it, but his hands trembled so badly, Anne took it instead.

“A story for later. Let’s concentrate on what we can control right now, shall we? You’re still going through withdrawals,” she told him.

He didn’t remember coming here, not really, but he did remember the motel room, and how his treacherous self had planned a way to get his fix—Parker and freedom be damned. His plan had failed, obviously, but at last this room made sense: he’d been lying here thinking he was going to die. He’d been lying here without his fix. He’d been lying here without that cursed drug running through his veins. And he was here now, still breathing.

“I’m still alive,” he whispered with awe, looking at her, and then at Whitman.

I didn’t die. John was right, they didn’t want us dead. The drug was never going to kill me.

“So far so good,” Anne nodded, pressing the glass to his lips. He swallowed slowly. He had no energy for anything else.

“The thing is,” she said, “you’re not out of the woods yet. Your body is pretty messed up. It’s not like you to take so long to heal.”

He frowned. “How long have I been out?”

“About two days,” Whitman said.

“Two days since John went into that base. What else do you remember?” Anne asked, all businesslike, “Did he destroy the ship?”

“I don’t know. He pushed me out once he reached the main controls.”

“I can try to hack into the security footage,” Whitman offered. “See where he is, or if we can find a way to get him out.”

Anne looked at Max. “Or you can dreamwalk him again.”

He nodded, still feeling uneasy, but more than willing to know what had happened to his older “brother”.

He closed his eyes. His head felt heavy, as if he could fall to the floor by its weight alone. He leaned back on the couch, and steadied his breathing. Darkness greeted him, and nothing else.

His body ached everywhere. The room was too hot—or maybe he was too hot?—and although he hadn’t eaten in two days, his stomach felt as if he’d swallowed a rock. He lost focus again and again. Something wasn’t right. It almost felt as if something inside him was broken.

“I can’t do it,” he said, opening his eyes to the disappointed look in Anne’s face.

“We’ll try it later,” she said, standing up, “once you’ve rested and—”

“No,” Max said, realizing he had a deeper problem, “it’s not tiredness. I think—I think my powers are gone.”
"There's addiction, and there's Roswell!"
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Of Journals & Journeys (AU M/L, YTEEN) Ch. 54 Pg 14 - 7 / 29

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Max is so messed up.......will he ever be normal again?
Will Liz's counter drug ever help him?
What was John's true purpose in all of this?
And what will Max do now that his powers are gone?

Thanks for the new parts,
Carolyn
clueless
Addicted Roswellian

Post by clueless »

Great part! I didn't see that ending coming!
SmileeUk
Addicted Roswellian

Post by SmileeUk »

I so missed this story & am SO HAPPY you are back!! :D
Have to catch up from page 11 now. :mrgreen:
Feedback later :wink: {Jumping up & down.....}
~~~~~~ ###### Smiling is a Gift ###### ~~~~~~
SmileeUk
Addicted Roswellian

Post by SmileeUk »

I have missed so many chapters :oops: Glad I have caught up now :wink:

Max has suffered a lot and this dream walk ability is new :shock: but happy to see he could share what John did and got insight into his heritage. What is happening with John :?:

Liz has been so supportive to get Max to Anne and she must be exhausted. Alex always come at the right time and save everyone, love him!

What is Max going to do now and the rest of the group?

Please don't make us wait too long :wink:
~~~~~~ ###### Smiling is a Gift ###### ~~~~~~
begonia9508
Roswell Fanatic

Post by begonia9508 »

It must be quite upsetting to have two Maxes - not the same age and not the same life - but in both These lives - Max and Liz are!
Must also means something anyway!
Thanks EVE :?
- Les jouissances de l'esprit sont faites pour calmer les orages du coeur!
- On reconnaît le bonheur au bruit qu'il fait quand il s'en va!
- L'amour vous rend aveugle et le mariage vous redonne la vue!
clueless
Addicted Roswellian

Post by clueless »

Just checking in!
Misha
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Misha »

Ah! Reviews!! I LOVE REVIEWS!!!! Here's a new chapter. I'm still ironing out plot details for the final arc, but the bunnies are not exactly chatty :roll:

Journal entry #26, September 5th, 2011

Details. You know people because you know their details. You don’t see them as a whole, not really; you see them as little, moving parts that form them in your mind, a person that means many things, never just one.

When you come to the root of all things, it’s the details that stand out to you. A look in the hallway. A fleeting smile. A heartfelt thank you. It’s every good morning and every good-bye.

It’s every laugh and every tear. It’s every kind word and every look of indifference.

You’ll always remember the details.

Chapter Fifty-Five
Details

Liz opened her eyes to a room that wasn’t hers, and to a life that didn’t look much like hers, either. Her body ached and her head felt heavy, so she turned around to find a better position on the soft bed.

Alex will tell you if anything has changed, she told herself as she stared at the door, halting any thought of checking up on Max. If she did, she was never going to fall asleep again.

On the nightstand, the clock read 6:02 a.m.

I’m sharing a house with an alien-hybrid being, the errant thought passed her tired mind. She smiled. That didn’t sound like Max at all. He was just a guy—a brooding, too serious, dark-haired guy who could move things with his mind.

Why does everything have to be so complicated with you, Max Evans?

Sighing, she catalogued the meager things she actually knew about him—starting with his name. But is that his real name, or like an alias? Like the name he gives on the phone but is not in his passport? Does he have aliases for each country he goes to? How many countries has he traveled to, anyway?

Rolling her eyes at herself, she tried again to focus on the facts she did know about Max Evans. He liked his coffee black, with lots and lots of sugar. He liked Cherry Coke, apparently. He snored slightly, but she suspected he wasn't aware of that. He had a dry sense of humor that only Alex could rival, and one that Maria would approve.

He made beautiful crystal bunnies.

He drove a Jeep. He liked to read. She wasn't sure on that one, but she'd seen him browsing her library back in her apartment. He was also a decent cook who liked Thai take-out.

He wore black. A lot.

Maybe he dreamed about her?

And that was about it. Unless she wanted to count the things she knew about his biochemistry, and the mysteries his blood had been unraveling for the past months.

Or the fact that he had a twin brother—or were they like clones?—and that half of their genetic makeup came from the stars…but that didn’t tell her who Max was any more than her DNA would tell him who she was.

Or those videos about you growing up, she absently thought, still staring at the door, but in her mind, she was seeing Max standing still on the doorframe, those intense eyes of his too guarded for her to read him.

I mean, what do we even have in common? Besides that we both want him to be free?

She didn't like where her thoughts were going, and her growling stomach protested that some food would be greatly appreciated.

Go back to sleep! she ordered her brain, and closed her eyes for all of five seconds.

He’s not dead, Liz, he’s just unconscious, so chill, a voice in her mind said, one that sounded suspiciously like Maria's.

Okay, okay, he's not dead, I'll add that to the things I know about him.

A light knock on the door had her full awake in a second, and she sat up at the same time Alex popped his head in.

“Oh, I didn’t mean to disturb you,” he said with a guilty smile.

“No, it’s okay. Is he okay?”

He paused long enough for her mind to conjure a dozen different scenarios, all ending with Max dying for real.

“He’s awake,” Alex started, “but there might be a problem…” he trailed off. “Anne is trying to figure it out.”

“She’s back?”

“She came about an hour ago, actually.”

“Alex!”

“She told me to let you sleep, and then Max woke up and, well…his powers are gone.”

“What? Gone?”

“Not a single spark.”

She stood up, and barely caught sight of herself on the closet mirror. Her hair was a mess, and so were her clothes. She absently searched for a ponytail on her pocket, and tried to look half decent with her hair tied up, and not like a crazy girl. It will have to do.

“Liz,” Alex called her up. “Max is still not out of the woods yet.”

She nodded, and continued out of the room, into the hall, and into a deserted dining room. She finally found them in the kitchen, and she stopped when she saw Max. He was holding his head with both hands while Anne placed a tall glass of iced water in front of him, a straw bobbing in it.

“Drink,” she ordered.

He looks so tired, Liz thought, and then crossed eyes with Anne Herschel.

“Is everything okay?” Liz asked, uncertain as to what was going on.

“Max should be resting, but he’s insisting he doesn’t feel like crap,” Anne pointed out.

Max snapped out of his hands and turned to look at her. His eyes were bloodshot, he was sporting a two-day beard, and his hair was completely disheveled. For a moment, he looked trapped, and then relieved.

“Parker,” he said, as if he’d been afraid she wasn’t real. “Are you all right?”

Coming from someone who looked two steps from falling unconscious, it was a rather strange question.

“Yeah, just tired. Alex said your powers are gone?” she asked, coming into the kitchen.

“I can’t seem to focus enough to get anything going. And I keep telling Anne—”

“No,” Anne cut him off, “I won’t do that. You barely survived this time.”

“Do what?” Liz asked, while Max and Anne glared at each other.

“Anne has the drug,” Max explained, returning his head to his hands, “but she won’t give it to me.”

“Yeah, and you know why I won’t give it to you? Because you’ll be back to square one. You’ll have to go through what you just went through for the past three days.”

“But I survived it! And it will give me my powers back,” Max said, still leaning his forehead on his hands as he tried to stay upright.

“First, you don’t know if it will give you your powers back. Second, did you just hear me say that you barely survived it? There’s no guarantee you’ll survive a second time.”

“I’m useless without my powers. I can’t find John without them,” Max said, looking at Anne with all the seriousness in the world.

“Don’t you think I know that?” Anne whispered, hurt. “Don’t you think I’d be more than happy to stab that needle in your arm and find out if he’s dead or alive? But you’re not a machine, and I won’t use you like one. You need to get better, and I need to start thinking how to get him out of that place.”

“You don’t have to do that alone,” Alex said behind Liz. “I’ll keep trying to hack into it.”

“I’ll go back,” Liz offered. “I live in the area, I have every reason to be around.”

“You’re doing this blindly,” Max said, getting the glass closer to himself. Even doing that looked like too much effort. “You need to locate your resources, understand the terrain, and come up with a plan. A real one, not a half-baked laughable attempt at one.”

He sipped his water, his eyes closed.

The silence that followed prompted him to open them. “What?”

“You’re not useless at all,” Anne said, amused. “So, Fearless Leader. How do you propose we do this?”
"There's addiction, and there's Roswell!"
clueless
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Of Journals & Journeys (AU M/L, YTEEN) Ch. 55 Pg 14 - 8 / 26

Post by clueless »

You like reviews and I like new parts! Seems like a nice trade off lol

Anyway, thank you for another great part! I'm eagerly awaiting more.