Of Journals & Journeys (AU M/L, YTEEN) Ch. 62 Pg 22 - 12 / 29 [COMPLETE]

This is the place to post stories that significantly alter the show's canon or mythology such as prequels, backgrounds for the characters that differ from on the show, fics where different characters are alien, and alternative family relationships. These fics must contain aliens or alien storylines as part of their plot.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Hunter, Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Of Journals & Journeys (AU M/L, YTEEN) Ch. 55 Pg 14 - 8 / 26

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Loved Liz's descriptions of Max while he was out.......
They were just perfect.
Will he be able to find John in time?
Thanks, Carolyn
dreamon
Addicted Roswellian

Post by dreamon »

Thank for another great part! I can't wait to read more!!!
I have a few dreamer challenges in mind if you are looking for ideas so pm me!
SmileeUk
Addicted Roswellian

Post by SmileeUk »

So glad Max is ok. I guess he is still in withdrawal & just hope the worst is over.

If I were Liz I would ask the same questions:
What do we have in common?
How much do I know him?
Do I like him because of convenience as he has been in my life for many months & there is no one else ?

Good to see Anne has a cool head to think for the group & get a rescue plan in progress!

Please come back soon for an update :wink: :wink:
~~~~~~ ###### Smiling is a Gift ###### ~~~~~~
dreamon
Addicted Roswellian

Post by dreamon »

Missing this and hoping for an update!
dreamon
Addicted Roswellian

Post by dreamon »

Please post more soon!
Misha
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Misha »

Hey! The bunnies are finally plotting how to solve some knots in the upcoming chapters, so here's hope we'll see The End soon :) Thank you for coming back to read! :mrgreen:

September 5th, 2011 – Day 1787 and counting…

When you’ve been defined by one single label your whole life, realizing there’s more to you than just that can be liberating.

Chapter Fifty-Six
Beware the Voices

For the first time in ages, Max actually felt awake. The warm water ran down his back, soothing his still aching body, but at least he was able to stand without leaning on the wall.

He was hungry, too, and his fever was almost gone. But despite the progress, he was still powerless. Part of him told himself it was just a side effect from the drug. That once his body flushed it out completely, he would be back to his normal self. The other part of him wondered if the scientist who’d come up with this had designed it this way: he wouldn’t die, but he would be left defenseless.

And at the back of his mind, a terribly persuasive voice told him to snatch the needle out of Anne’s reach and find release from this hell.

“I’m not in hell, and I’m not going back to drugging myself,” he muttered, the water falling on his shoulders, taking the soap off.

What about John? This whole mission is impossible without your powers. So, what’s one more dose, hmm? Trust me, it’s a worthy goal.

“I can’t trust you,” Max said, angry at his addict self. “You would’ve sold Liz to the government for one more dose. You would trash everything I hold dear. I won’t trust you.”

Anne can make more. She can keep you supplied for life. There’s no need to “trust” me. You know what I’m saying is true.

“Shut up,” he said between clenched teeth.

Think about it, that’s all I’m saying.

He turned the shower off, and stood silent for a whole minute, just listening to the house. He was always attuned to his environment—years of missions and living in dangerous situations honing his instincts—but he’d never realized how reassuring silence could be when everyone around him was a friend.

Though maybe calling Anne a friend might be a stretch.

In the mirror, the taxing effects of the withdrawals were plenty to see. From black circles under red eyes, to that awful two day beard, to his hunched shoulders. He couldn’t stand straight for the life of him.

Don’t sell yourself short; you’ve done plenty of things to survive.

He absently waved a hand over his face, and sighed in defeat when nothing happened. He’d never shaved any other way than with his powers, and the thought of using a razor felt alien. His powers were normal for him, not these—these—these mundane things.

He raised a hand and will it to stay still, but a few tremors defied him. If he cut while shaving, he wouldn’t be able to heal those either.

The thought was depressing.

“Everything okay in there?” Whitman asked behind the closed door, as if somehow the hacker had also hacked into his thoughts.

Max opened the door.

“Hey,” Whitman said, “food’s ready and the girls sent me to check on you.”

“I need a favor,” Max said, and Whitman’s eternal smile faltered a little.

“Of course. Anything.”

Ten minutes later, Whitman expertly pressed the razor against his skin and slid it down.

“I bet this is the closest you’ve ever had a blade to your throat,” his improvised barber told him. Max grunted. “You know,” Alex continued, “if someone had told me that signing that contract with John also entailed running with aliens, hacking US facilities, and playing with psychic cards—”

“You would’ve said no,” Max muttered, completely uncomfortable at having someone shaving him.

“Hell, no. I would have said yes in a heartbeat,” Whitman smirked, cleaning the razor on the sink. “I mean, obviously you’ve known this your whole life, super powers and conspiracies and all that, but for us simple mortals…” he said as he went for the other cheek, “this whole thing completely changes our lives.”

“I could’ve gotten you killed,” Max said, tension building in his shoulders as this thing was taking way too long.

“I’m not saying I love every aspect of this,” Whitman pointed out, “but the sheer experience of knowing you is not something I take for granted. I mean, how many people can say they shaved a half-an-alien’s cheek?”

Max glared at him, but it somehow was lost on his already bleak demeanor.

“It’s not safe,” Max said, looking at Whitman and willing him to understand. “I’m not safe. I thought I could get Parker to find the drug, or maybe the counterdrug, and that would be it. That I would disappear.”

“Except now you worry about her.” Whitman’s clear eyes read directly into Max’s soul. “And she cares about you. More than anyone I’ve ever met.”

Max frowned. “She does?”

“Man, for all your superpowers, you can be so blind.”

“I’m nothing more than a problem to her,” Max said, dismissively.

“Right…” Whitman said, condescendingly.

“She’s—she’s the best person I know. She would do this for anyone. She would do this for you.”

Whitman rolled his eyes, and kept going with the razor. “All I’m going to say is this: you break her heart, you’ll have to answer to me. And don’t think that your superpowers and Navy Seal prowess will help you. After all, I’m the man who’s holding a blade to your carotid artery right now.”

They both stared at each other for a moment, and then smiled.

“All set,” his friend said, appreciating his work one last time.

“Whitman,” Max said before Alex could leave, “you’re wrong.”

“I’m not the first man to hold a blade on your throat?” he asked with mocked hurt.

“No, that’s actually accurate. What I mean is I can’t break Parker’s heart because I’m not holding it.”

Whitman grinned at that. “Then try calling her Liz for once and see her reaction.”

As the man exited the bathroom, Max was left with the uncomfortable feeling that of all the voices this morning, Whitman’s was the most dangerous of them all.
"There's addiction, and there's Roswell!"
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Of Journals & Journeys (AU M/L, YTEEN) Ch. 56 Pg 15 - 10 / 21

Post by keepsmiling7 »

What a wonderful surprise!

So we're moving towards completion?
I like the way Max stood up to John.......

More, more Misha!
Thanks,
Carolyn
dreamon
Addicted Roswellian

Post by dreamon »

Loved the part! And I can’t wait for Max to call Parker Liz!

I can’t believe that this is coming to an end. I don’t want it to!
clueless
Addicted Roswellian

Post by clueless »

Loving this and looking forward for more!
SmileeUk
Addicted Roswellian

Post by SmileeUk »

Just want to say hello :mrgreen:
Missing this story A LOT! :(
~~~~~~ ###### Smiling is a Gift ###### ~~~~~~