Finding Something Better by Fidomom (AU,M/M,TEEN/ADULT) Ch1-12/? - 12/10/18

For stories that are mostly conventional in their couplings, but might explore one UC relationship, or might explore a UC relationship to some degree. It is also for stories where to reveal the eventual pairings in an Author’s Note might spoil the story. It is also for character driven fic that focuses mostly on one specific character. Main character death fics might also be safer here. This is a "read at your own risk" forum. Please read Forum Rules for more information.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, Erina, Forum Moderators

keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Finding Something Better by Fidomom (AU,M/M,TEEN/ADULT) Ch1-11/? - 12/03/18

Postby keepsmiling7 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:09 pm

Wow......that was some honeymoon for M and M.
Michael's world defies logic.........
I don't see this honeymoon ending anytime soon.
Maria's flash.........pregnant??
Ava is handy to have around. I don't know about Kal.
Thanks for the new part, Carolyn

Fidomom
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Finding Something Better by Fidomom (AU,M/M,TEEN/ADULT) Ch1-12/? - 12/10/18

Postby Fidomom » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:11 am

@keepsmiling7- Yes The Honeymooners are always at it, one way or another, lol! Ava is very handy to have around and she's fun for me to imagine. Kal is annoying but somewhat useful, so for now he's ... there.
Here ... have another new part! Glad you're still reading this, Carolyn - thanks. :)

~FM :)

Title: Finding Something Better
Author: Fidomom
Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. It is only loosely based on characters from the 1999-2002 tv series Roswell as I imagine they could be from different points throughout and beyond the three seasons of the show. I am not affiliated with any of the original creations nor creators from the series. I will make no monetary gains from publishing this work of fiction.
Pairings/Characters/Category: Michael & Maria, Max & Liz, Kyle, Isabel & Ava, CC, UC, AU, w/Aliens
Rating: Teen
Summary: This chapter - The crew has a lot to process and Isabel is faced with a difficult choice.
Author's Note: warnings=

Finding Something Better
by Fidomom

Chapter Twelve

As soon as Maria had left the kitchen to try to prove Kal wrong, Michael started to ask Kal, "So if she really is this Com-", and Michael felt the air thicken around him.

One second he was standing in the kitchen, talking and in the next blink, he was in the living room, naked, standing behind Maria. He had felt no sensation of movement, at all. Had no recollection of the process, even. He heard her call out to the others, as she took a step toward the kitchen and he interrupted her departure, "Uhh, Maria? Behind you."

Maria let out a startled yelp and spun toward him, to look. She quickly processed his lack of clothing and was just about to ask for someone to bring him some clothes, when Max hurried into the living room, looking anxious.

Piled in his arms, were Michael's clothes that he'd been wearing moments ago. Max spoke to Maria, "So he ended up where you specifically wanted? It happened so fast. I had to make sure he was still here and not, you know, somewhere unintended. Here, take these. I'll, uhh, I'll go tell the others that he's still here."

Maria accepted the clothes from Max, mostly shielding Michael from view and when Max was gone, she gave Michael's clothes back to him. Michael dressed quickly, then called out to the others, "It's safe to come in here, now, guys!"

Maria was pensive as she looked around at all of them and then she set her eyes on Kal and she laughed humourlessly, as she accused him, "You did this! For some reason, you want us to think I'm some Commander or something and you used alien powers to make that happen! It was all your idea, right down to him being naked!"

Michael put a hand on her forearm and said quietly, "I don't think it was him, Maria. Just before it happened, I felt a familiar sensation. The same weird air as the magnet thing. He wasn't in our hotel room with us. I think it was you doing that, to us, after all."

Maria objected, "I told you, Michael, I wouldn't do that to you! Why would I do that?"

Michael shrugged and supposed out loud, "Maybe because your feelings were stronger than your reason, just then? You knew why I had to leave the room, it made sense, and so you had no reason for me to not go out to the car but emotionally? You didn't want me to go and leave you in that room, all by yourself, so you kept me with you."

Maria scoffed and accused woundedly, "Great, so now you're back to blaming me for that, all over again!"

Michael shook his head and held her hand, as he corrected, "Not just you. Me too. From what Kojak says, I gave you permission and I didn't exactly resist the pull; I wasn't thrilled about leaving your side, either. It was a mutual thing, I think.

Never mind that I complained about it. I complained about falling in love with you, too, but it didn't make me not fall for you. We found a compromise that worked for us and it stopped."

Maria was starting to accept his version of events but then she shook her head and denied it all, "Nope! No, Michael. I'm a simple human girl! I'm not a Commander of anything! All of this stuff is alien powers stuff; it has nothing to do with me! It just doesn't, okay?"

Michael chuckled wryly and mused, "I may not have had all the facts when I said it, but I wasn't wrong when I told you, that you are a force to be reckoned with. I think I believe what Kojak and Ava believe.

Maybe I even believe Madame Vivian, now. It was a hell of a thing she said to me, when it later becomes a possibility that you are this Commander that Kojak and Ava have talked about.

Believe in the love? That is what she said, right? Do you? Because I'm kind of leaning in that direction, right now.

I mean, in the space of a thought, I wound up in another room, naked."

Maria looked at him without speaking for several seconds and then she suggested, "Or maybe me being someone important, like this Commander being, works for you because it might save my life, if it turns out, that I really am pregnant?"

He didn't deny it and said softly, "Yeah, that, too."

Kal piped up in interest, "Pregnant? A pregnant Commander? I've never heard of such a thing!"

Isabel quipped impatiently, "Well, considering you didn't know the Commander could be a human being, either, then just your say so, on what is and isn't normal, doesn't carry much weight, anymore, now does it?!"

Michael emphasised to Kal, "If she is pregnant, I'm the father. Is she gonna die? Is my child going to kill her? I need to know, Kojak!"

When Kal didn't answer right away, Max ordered irritably, "Answer him, Kal."

Kal huffed impatiently and said in indignation, "I'm not resisting answering, Your Highness, I simply can't answer because as the Royal Princess has pointed out, I don't know the answer! I'm not psychic!"

Liz tried to reason with Kal politely but firmly, "But it's on you as the Royal Protector, to help us figure out the answer. Even if you don't know, as much as you thought you did, you still know more than we do.

If Maria is as important, as you seem to believe, then you have to help us ensure that she survives. It's as simple as that, because whatever else Maria may or may not be, to anyone else, she is my sole surviving best friend. I will not lose her, too and you need to understand that, Mr. Langley!"

Michael sent Liz a look of gratitude and he implored Kal, "Tell us what we need to do, going forward, to make sure that my wife lives."

Kal sighed and suggested, "First, we need to determine if she actually is pregnant. I'll have to touch her to see inside of her abdomen."

Maria seemed wary but she nodded and Michael said, "Okay. Do it."

Kal's hand was less than six inches from making contact, when he suddenly flew backwards three feet.

The hybrid members of the crew all looked at each other and asked, "Did you do that?"

Kal answered for them, "No. None of you did that. It was the baby."

Michael asked worriedly, "So Maria is pregnant? Our kid has powers?"

Kal answered, "I have no idea, yet, if Maria is pregnant or not. I was talking about the other one that definitely is here and is more powerful than I was ready for."

Everyone asked at once, "Lex did that?"

Kal sighed and answered, "No, not him, either. The other one. The one Her Royal Highness has neglected to tell me, that she is expecting."

Max asked in confusion, "You mean, Isabel? What?,

"Isabel, are you pregnant?"

Isabel's eyes teared up and she admitted, "I think so. Okay, I guess, thanks to Mr. Langley, I know so. Yes, I'm having another baby."

Everyone turned to Kyle and Max asked him point blank, "You got my sister pregnant?"

Kyle's eyes widened, he held up surrender hands and he denied, "What? Me? Noooo! She's still married to Jesse! I wouldn't. I couldn't!"

Michael asked in utter confusion, "Well, then who's the father?"

Isabel's teary eyes spilled over and she whispered, "You are, Michael. I'm pregnant with your child."

Michael saw Maria's eyes overflow, too and he hastily refuted Isabel's claim, "Maria, no! I'm not the father! I wouldn't do that to you! I promised you that I would never! I didn't! I swear, I didn't!,

"Isabel why would you lie about this? Tell her that I didn't do this, please!"

Maria answered confidently, "I know you didn't, spaceboy. I did."

Michael asked in confusion, "What do you mean? What are you saying, right now?"

Maria answered, "I knew that you would keep your promise to me for the rest of your life, if I let you. I heard Isabel ask you and I heard you decline. I wasn't about to let two people I care about, suffer or be deprived of joy just to spare my feelings or my pride being hurt.

I provided her with the means to end her painful condition and the means to make sure that you'd get to realise your dream of being a Dad. I love you, too much to stand in the way of that, Michael.

Of course I had no idea, at the time, that I might wind up pregnant, too and I didn't even know if it would work but I had to at least give her the option."

Michael guessed, "You gave her one of my condoms."

Maria nodded and Michael bit out fiercely, "You had no right to do that, behind my back!"

Kal interjected, "Of course she did! You gave her that right, yourself!"

Maria concurred with a small smile, "You really did. Literally, even. Congratulations, spaceboy, it turns out, that you do get to be a Dad, after all."

Ava asked Kal, "So Isabel's unborn baby knocked you flying? Why? How do you know?"

Kal nodded and explained, "I felt from which direction the power came but until the paternity reveal, I didn't know why.

Michael, that child has your cells. Your cells are committed to Maria, as a whole person. The child; or rather the part of you in the child, was protecting Maria from a perceived threat. Namely, me."

Ava gasped and exclaimed, "And from me, too! That's why I couldn't use my powers, before, to see if you're pregnant or not!"

Michael asked skeptically, "Why would my kid be more protective of Maria, than I am? I'm standing right here and I didn't feel any need to prevent either of you from diagnosing if she's pregnant or not."

Liz supplied the answer in excitement, "Because cognitively Michael, you know all of us but your cells in the baby only know Maria! Probably you, too, or at the very least, the baby doesn't perceive you as a threat, since the baby didn't interfere with the melting thing, earlier, either."

Kyle asked, "So then, how are we supposed to find out if Maria is pregnant or not, if nobody can touch her or use powers on her?"

Kal answered cryptically, "Who says we can't? Maria just needs to verbally order it."

Maria insisted, "But I did that, already! I told Ava she could do it!"

Kal clarified, "I didn't say allow or consent or give permission. You need to word it as an order. The same way His Majesty does to me if I'm not co-operating to his satisfaction."

Maria spoke quietly, "Well, I'm neither you nor Max. I'm not going to bark an order at my friends or at Michael's and Isabel's unborn child. I'll do this my way and if it doesn't work, then so be it. We can go get a pregnancy test and I can find out first thing in the morning, if I'm pregnant or not.,

"Isabel? Can I touch your tummy?"

Isabel nodded and exposed her abdomen for Maria. Maria kneeled down, placed her palm on Isabel's lower abdomen and she spoke conversationally to the life inside, "Hey, in there. Hi, my name is Maria. You did a really great thing protecting me. Thank-you, sweet one. I need you to know that there are no threats to me or to you, in this room, okay? You can rest now. Everything is okay.

Gosh, I'm so happy you are there! As soon as you run out of room, in there, that's when I finally get to meet you! So just take it easy in there, rest, grow and know that we all love you, and we look forward to properly meeting you, okay?

Now, there is something I do need your help with, though. See, I would like to know if I'm having a baby but I need help with that so I need your Auntie Ava to use her powers to take a look. You can let her do that. It won't hurt me. I promise. Everything is okay, baby. You really can rest now."

Maria stood up and addressed Ava, "Could you try again, please, Ava?"

Ava concentrated and smiled slightly. She addressed Michael, "Congratulations, Michael! Now, you're officially a father of two!,

"Congratulations, to you, too, of course, Maria, it's just that you mentioned that Michael really wanted to be a Dad and I can relate to that dream, myself.,

I'm actually pretty excited that there will be two more babies for all of us to fuss over, in the not so distant future!"

Michael exchanged an emotional look with Maria and he said to Ava, "Thanks, Shortstop, but congratulations may be slightly premature; first Maria needs to survive being pregnant.,

"So, Kojak? Tell me how I can help my wife survive an accelerated alien pregnancy."

Maria cautioned Michael, "Now hang on a second, Michael. Nobody said anything about accelerated. I'm not in pain, remember?,

"Ava, what did the baby look like?"

Ava ducked her head and admitted, "Pretty much the same as Isabel's baby; I couldn't help seeing both. Also, pretty much the same as Lex did, when Isabel first told us she was pregnant with him. Similar sizes and all three looked like perfectly formed babies."

Liz asked, "Ava do you remember when you and Isabel helped me to reach Max in New York? Is there any chance you could do something similar and show me what you see, when you see the babies?,

"Of course this will require your powers, too, Isabel; would you mind?"

Isabel nodded her assent. Ava, Liz, and Isabel held hands in a circle, and Ava concentrated on seeing the babies again. Liz and Ava both gasped and broke the connection.

Liz said very carefully, "The babies are communicating with each other."

Michael asked in curiosity, "Communicating? Really? What are my kids saying to each other?"

Isabel snapped, "How should we know? Nobody here speaks fetus, Michael! The point is, that they are communicating in utero; two different uteros!"

Kyle touched Isabel's arm in concern and asked, "What aren't you telling us, Isabel? It's totally usual for you to be emotional, when you're pregnant, but even I think that the level of hostility toward Heckle, just now, was kind of uncalled for."

Isabel teared up and she raised her voice, "My own baby hates me, okay!?"

Liz hastily corrected, "Babies can't hate, Isabel but they can get angry and yeah, I did pick up on the fact that yours is definitely angry. I've never felt anything quite like that."

Kal mused, "It's remarkable and yet given these unusual circumstances, it's only to be expected. The child feels a loyalty to Maria. Isabel isn't Maria. Isabel may have been Michael's intended mate, in the beginning, but once she bore another's child that chain of destiny was severed. Michael chose another mate for himself. Basically the child knows that it was conceived with the wrong mother."

Maria insisted quietly, "Don't you ever say that about Isabel, again. I chose her for very good reasons and I do not regret it, despite the fact that I'm now pregnant with Michael's child, myself. Isabel is an amazing mother. Her newest little one will learn that, eventually. We'll get it sorted out.,

To Maria's surprise Kal blushed and mumbled, "Apologies, eminent Commander."

Maria frowned uncomfortably. She'd halfway forgotten that whole thing. She shrugged it off and suggested to Isabel, "Last time I talked to your baby, it seemed to yield results. Would you like me to try, again?"

Isabel nodded and said gratefully, "I was going to ask you to do it, later but now would be great! The calmest my baby has been since I suspected I was pregnant was when you were talking to him or her earlier. Please, just make sure he or she knows that I love them, no matter what?"

Maria nodded reassuringly, knelt down, touched Isabel's abdomen and spoke to the baby, again, "Hey, it's Maria, again. I feel like maybe I didn't tell you enough information earlier. There are a lot of people in this room who already love you, especially your Mommy and me and your Daddy.

Sweet one, you're right where you are supposed to be; right where all three of us need for you to be. I know you already had a chat with my baby, your sibling. I hope you two are getting along and that you will love each other, a lot. I'm counting on you, to do that, okay?

I heard you've been feeling upset and I tell you what, if you start to feel upset, again, I want you to remember these three sounds; together they make a melody which is part of a song that I'm writing. La, la, la. The song will be ready for you when it's time for you to come out of there and meet us. I will sing it to you whenever you want. Here it is one more time; la, la, la. That's for you, sweet one. I love you, your Daddy loves you and so does your Mommy. You'll see. It's time to rest now. For real this time, okay?"

Maria looked up at Isabel questioningly and Isabel smiled through tears and nodded emphatically. Maria rose to her feet, hugged Isabel and said, "Congratulations, by the way! I'm really glad it worked; not only the talking to the baby part. I meant what I said; I really don't regret what I did."

Michael chimed in, "Neither do I. I'm sorry for my initial reaction, Isabel. I'm glad Maria helped you that night. I've gone from believing I'd never be a Dad to now being the father of two. I cannot regret that, even if I'm really scared for Maria.

Maria is going to be my focus, until I know for sure that she is safe but it doesn't mean you and our child aren't important to me, too, okay? You know that I do love you."

Isabel laughed through remnant tears and confirmed, "Yeah, I know that, Michael, but wow look at you saying things like that out loud, in front of other people and to my face, even! Very mature! I'm impressed and, also, thank-you, it helps and I love you, too."

Max prompted his wife, "Liz? Did you reach any conclusions, based on what Ava showed you?"

Liz nodded and answered, "Isabel is somewhere between twelve and fifteen days pregnant; which equates to four or four and a half months and that is also how old Maria's baby seems to be. Either they conceived around the same time or Maria conceived four and half months ago.,

"Any chance it happened that long ago, guys?"

Michael and Maria looked at each other and both said, "Yeah. We almost broke up for good, over it."

Maria amended, "But I've had a period every month since then."

Liz asked delicately, "And the other possibility? Around two weeks ago?"

Michael blushed and only said, "Yeah, there was an umm incident, then, too."

Maria frowned, racking her brain and then she blurted, "Oh, the scavenger hunt! Right! Hmm, well that complicates things. Still, if this is a speedy pregnancy why aren't I in any pain? Shouldn't I be, by now, if this is supposedly gonna kill me?"

Kal interjected, "The Commander makes an excellent point. She's quite right. By now, if this were a typical pregnancy, she should have been feeling a great deal of discomfort, if not outright pain, and by typical, I, of course, meant typical for the Royal Four."

Liz suggested, "Then I guess all we can do is wait a couple of days and take another look at the babies; if they are still at similar development to one another then Maria's pregnancy is accelerated just like Isabel's, whether or not she experiences pain from that. If Maria's baby looks significantly younger than Isabel's, in a couple of days, then she's having a typical pregnancy and I, of course mean typical for human beings, Mr. Langley."

Kal announced tersely, "I'll be leaving now. The Royal Princess will be needing the age-gap elixir for one or the other of her two children."

Isabel asked, "What do you mean? Are you saying wait until this one is born and use it on this one instead of on Lex, even though Lex is the eldest?"

Kal answered, "The nature of my role is to provide possible solutions, to protect you four, sorry, your Highness, I meant ten, of course, and to guide and educate you whenever possible so that you may protect yourselves, as needed, as well, since I am not omnipresent. I'll perform my duties to the best of my ability. What you choose to do with my suggestions and guidance is entirely up to you. You were the firstborn, Princess but the Royal Court needed your brother to be of age sooner."

Max accused, "You're interested in that unborn child's power. That's why you want her to use the elixir on he or she instead of on Lex."

Kal nodded his confirmation. Max ordered, "Tell us why."

Kal admitted, "Look, none of us knew what to expect with you four; with this mission. You and your back-up copies arrived in pods and were hatched from pods as reasoning, semi-independent, bi-pedal beings. I had erroneously assumed when you began to breed that pods would be released and would mature outside of your bodies, just as you four had done.

Isabel interrupted, to ask in amusement, "You really thought we would give birth to pods? Seriously?"

Liz defended him, "It's not his fault, Isabel, I mean come on, my Mom as a little girl thought she could make a baby by kissing a boy. You can't help what you don't know or what you think you know but you're mistaken, until you are educated otherwise. Now he knows. You give birth to infants and not pods.,

"I feel like maybe you weren't done with telling us your reasons for wanting Isabel's unborn baby to be given the age-gap elixir before Lex, Mr. Langley. Please do continue if you've more to say."

Kal gave Liz a surprised appreciative look and continued, "Yes, I was getting to the point. Lex, while obviously hybrid enough to alert me, clearly hasn't the brain capacity to exhibit powers, likely due to his fully human father, but the child that the Princess carries is not even done reaching the, I don't know what to call it now except what I've always thought of it as, but basically, the pod maturation stage and the child is already exhibiting incredible potential to be what we all assumed that your children would be.

The broken chain of destiny and other unforeseen odd circumstances, have not seemed to adversely affect the results. That child is still as remarkable, as expected. This is the first child of it's kind; of your kind. A second generation hybrid with powers, as hoped for. I'm curious as to what it might have to say, what it knows, what it can do, so yes, that is my motivation for suggesting the elixir for the unborn child, rather than for the one who is already here."

Isabel frowned in concern and asked, "So this child I'm carrying, is special to you and you wouldn't let me use the elixir on it, if it was in any way harmful or even had the potential to be harmful, to my baby?"

Kal assured her, "I am your Royal Protector. I have agreed to His Highness' terms and vowed to extend that protection to the lineage of each one of you, hereafter. It would break my vow to harm any of you, or knowingly allow any of you to be harmed, including the unborn, and as well as, those who have not yet been conceived."

Isabel darted a look at Kyle and said, "I'm not saying I will use it on this baby that I'm carrying but you've given me something to think about. I need some time before I commit to it, because there's no reversal once we start, right?"

Kal shook his head as apologetically as he was capable of and stated, "You don't have an infinite amount of time to decide but you do have some time, to make a decision, either way."

Isabel asked, "How much would I have to age up either this baby or Lex?"

Kal answered as if he thought she knew already, "Why to the same age that you were when you emerged. Six years developmentally should do quite nicely."

Isabel gasped and started to cry in shock and Kyle went to her side immediately. Ava picked Lex up and cuddled him protectively.

Kyle addressed Kal, "She'll get back to you on what she decides. Didn't you say you were leaving?"

Kal nodded and then added, "One more thing. Prepare to move at a moment's notice. Even if you haven't made friends here, you have been noticed, I guarantee it. If your numbers change too drastically, it will draw too much attention. It's best to move on, as soon as possible, after the child is born."

Isabel asked indignantly, "Excuse me? Did you just scold me for having a second baby?"

Kal shook his head and actually smiled as he answered, "Not at all! The Royal Four should breed as much as they desire to! It's all part of the mission.", and then he left.

Maria touched Michael's face and said, "You seem a little calmer. How are you feeling?"

Michael held her tightly in his arms and answered, "Still scared but there's some hope in there, too. Are you really okay? No pain?"

Maria shook her head and assured both he and Liz, who was also looking at her in concern, "No pain. I promise guys, if I start to feel like crap, I will definitely say something, okay?"

Ava offered to Isabel, "I'll look after Lex, if you and Kyle need to talk? You know ... about everything."

Isabel caught Michael's eye over Maria's shoulder and she answered Ava, "I'd appreciate that. Thanks, Ava. I think Michael needs to weigh in on this with us, too, though. It's his baby, too."

Michael started to decline but Maria urged him, "Look, she's right. Go talk it out with her."

Michael asked, "What about you?"

Maria answered with a smug smile, "I will finally get the low down on our wedding rings! Where's that video at, spaceboy?"

Michael asked again, "Are you sure? You'll call me if you need me? Promise?"

Maria whispered in his ear, "I promise. I don't promise to call your clothes, though. Just sayin'. Maybe if I am this Commander person, it isn't such a bad thing, after all. A wife could get used to having that kind of power."

Michael fought a grin and warned, "Just don't go overboard. Don't do that unless you're alone."

Maria flirted with her eyes, "Oh, trust me, spaceboy, if I resort to that, nobody else is invited!"

Michael pointed out, "This is not exactly incentive for me to go talk to Isabel right now, but I know why I have to, so I'll go do it, okay? The video is stored on the laptop. Your girl, Science knows how to find it. Hopefully, we get things sorted quickly, so I can get back to being a newlywed. I love you, Maria."

Maria kissed him on the lips, smiled softly and assured him, "Oh, I know you do, Michael. I love you, too. I'll be fine. Go be a good parent."

Michael's eyes warmed in surprise at the reality of that. He nodded and went to join Isabel and Kyle in the kitchen.

Liz kissed Max quickly on the lips, then stood up to go help Maria with the computer.

Max watched Ava with Lex and he asked her, "You're hoping he stays like this and just ages up at the typical human rate, aren't you?"

Ava shrugged and answered, "He's not mine. I don't get a say."

Max pointed out, "He's not Kyle's, either, but he's chiming in on the decision."

Ava smiled and pointed out, "Just because paperwork says otherwise, doesn't mean Kyle isn't already the only father, Lex will ever know. Surely, you've picked up on that?"

Max smirked and admitted, "Yeah, I have. I've been trying not to, though. I mean really? Kyle, of all people? Life turns out pretty weird, sometimes."

Ava admitted quietly, "I guess I'm just going to be sad if Lex is the one to grow up fast because, the new babies have both parents, so I won't get to spend as much time with them as I've been able to spend with Lex. I mean I know we wouldn't be losing him, he'll just be older. Maybe he won't like cuddles like this anymore, though. Until they decide, I'll just get as many cuddles in, as I can, I guess."

Max smiled at her and said, "You're going to be a really great Mom, someday."

Ava's face fell and she refuted, "No, Max, that's just it, I won't be. I thought Liz would have told you. I'll never get to be a Mom. I'm ... asexual? I think that's what Liz called it. Zan was going to help me find a way around that, but he's gone now, so, I just need to accept how things will be for me, going forward."

Max offered solemnly, "I didn't know, Ava. I guess Liz felt it wasn't up to her to tell me. She was right. It means more to me that you trusted me enough to tell me yourself, anyway.

You know, I have a son, somewhere out in the world but I also won't ever get to be a father in the truest sense, either, so I sort of understand your sadness about that.

Even if Maria's pregnancy is human typical, that's not enough proof for me to risk Liz's life by trying to have children with her. She and I have already talked about it. It was before Maria got pregnant, but I know Liz will see it the same way, as I do. Once is not proof. Even a dozen times is not proof.

On the bright side, my sister seems to be pretty intent on doubling our numbers under this one roof, so I don't think either you, or I or Liz will lack for babies to fuss over."

Ava chuckled and promised, "I won't tell her you just said that! Plus, it's perfectly fine with me if she triples our household population. I mean if this little guy is any indication, your sister makes wonderful babies!"

Max gazed lovingly at Lex chomping on his own fist, drooling all over himself and he smiled as he said, "I have to say I agree with you, there, Ava. He's definitely some kind of wonderful."

Liz returned to the living room and sat down on Max's lap, asking, "What's this now, about something wonderful?"

Max and Ava smirked at each other and said in unison, "Babies, Liz."

Liz looked back and forth between them and then at Lex and she smiled, too, as she agreed dreamily, "Yeah, they sure are that."

Maria wiped at tears on her face, as her Mom's face and voice greeted her on the laptop screen, in her pre-recorded message, "Hi, Maria, my sweet baby girl! If you're watching this, then I was right and there wasn't enough time during your wedding, after all! Oh gosh! You'll already be married by the time you watch this! I can hardly believe it! I miss you, darlin'! So much!"

Maria pressed pause and sobbed out, "Me, too, Mom! Especially right now! You've no idea and I can't even tell you, yet! You're gonna be a Grammy! Michael and I are having a baby! I hope we get to tell you all about it, soon! Gosh, I miss you, so much! Whew. Okay, so tell me already about Breepa's and Breema's wedding rings! How did you even get those to Michael?"

With a start, Maria realised she actually needed to press play, again, for the message to continue. She pressed play and Amy continued, "Okay so, Michael tells me that he has not kept you in the loop on our communication system. It's a pretty simple one, because this Mom's brain could not handle it, if it wasn't! I just need updates, now and again, and to know that being indulged on that, won't jeopardise your safety! Michael has been very patient with me, so far. He's very familiar with my tendency to worry.

Anyway, so how that all started, let's see, I guess it was not even a week after you'd left, I get this call on the landline. This male voice says to me, "Buy a burner phone. Activate it. Memorise the number. Tell no one." And then the line goes dead! It took me a few seconds, to realise it had been Michael! Well, I got very excited, at first and then you know, my Mom mode took over.

I didn't even know what a burner phone was, at that point! I did as he'd asked, though and then the strangest thing happened, Maria! Isabel Evans was talking to me but not in person; in my dream! Can you even imagine? Well, maybe it isn't new to you but I thought it was just amazing!

So, anyway, I told her the number, in the dream, you understand? I didn't actually speak to her and yet the very next morning my burner phone got a text! It was just a phone number. Nothing else. I don't think I believed that the dream thing worked until I called the number and heard Michael's voice on the other end of the line! Oh sweetheart, he was a right awful mess! He was so sure he'd really gone and done it and lost you forever!

Obviously, we, your Mother, with an apparent assist from one Max Evans, have successfully set him straight, though and it all worked out because look, you're getting married! No, wait! You're already married! This is such a confusing way to communicate!

Anywho, Michael asked me if I would consider talking you out of it, if he asked you to marry him and if you said yes. We had words about that. Several of them. Some of them were less than friendly, but we eventually got past that. That boy or young man, now, I suppose, is so smitten with you darlin', that he can't see the sandcastle for the sand!

Well, at the time, he couldn't. Obviously, by now, his vision has cleared right up and he's going to do right by my baby girl! Or I mean he already has done!

You see, I had informed him that he could not marry you unless I got to be at your wedding, however that would need to be arranged and I further told him, that you were supposed to have Breepa's and Breema's wedding rings; that you and I had been planning on that, since you were a little girl!

Now, Michael didn't have a solution for meeting either of my criteria, just then, but he promised me that he would figure it out and get back to me.

Now you know, that I will be, or for you I already was at your wedding, in the same way that I'm leaving you this message. Not quite in person but it's something like it. As for these laptops, aren't they something else! It might be the most expensive thing I own, after the Jetta!

Michael's sister Laurie is such a sweet girl! What's surprising is that even Bobby and Meredith helped us to pull this off! Apparently, they owed Laurie and Michael a favour or two, considering they should have gone to prison for fraud, at the very least.

Now, as to the wedding rings; they are well traveled my love! Meredith and I went through two jewelry brokers to get the rings to her, in Tucson and then she chartered a private plane to fly them as family heirlooms to Canada.

From there another jewelry broker sent them to a broker in New York. That broker drove them to Lincoln, Nebraska. The broker who received them will be driving them to Boise, Idaho, tomorrow, where they will be picked up by your groom, under the alias Bay Copes.

I keep forgetting that for you this has already happened but for me it's still in progress! So far so good! There have been no mishaps; the correct person has known exactly where the rings are, at all times. You will get them! I'm sure you're already looking at Breema's ring on your finger, as you watch this, actually!

I'm really so happy for you and Michael, sweetheart! I can hardly wait for the wedding! I get to see and talk to your beautiful face and not just talk to this inanimate laptop, as lovely as it is to be able to do this, as well!

Now what else was I - oh! I know! The codes! W H N means we have news. A W means all's well; Michael didn't think that one was necessary so I, of course, helped him to understand what being wrong is, as only a Mom can!

C U means call us. L T C means laptop chat. R S means radio silence and means don't acknowledge, don't initiate text, just wait to hear from whoever sent that code because trouble might be brewing; and of course this is where I really got my point across, on the A W code! Oh, you'd better believe, he finally got it!

W N means wrong number, which means you kids had to change your burner number and are texting me from a new one. Without that code, I'm not to acknowledge anything from a new number.

The codes can work in reverse too. If I have to change my number I can text W N to Michael and he'll know that it's still me.

You know, sweetheart, as much as I feel like I could just blather on and on, talking to imaginary you, as I stare at this laptop screen, apparently I'm to keep this as short as possible, something about memory and file size? I really don't understand the half of it all, but I am grateful for a visual way to keep in touch with you kids.

I love you, my sweetheart! Give my love to Michael, too and I will see you at your wedding! Hugs and kisses- muah, muah! Bye sweetie!", and the clip ended frozen on Amy's smiling face.

Maria cried for a little bit, then watched it three more times, laughing at the exchanges she imagined must have happened between her Mom and her spaceboy.

As she watched her Mom's video message, she felt compelled to occasionally take a nervous look around her, every time she so much, as thought of Michael. She really didn't want to go overboard with transporting him to her, frivolously, despite what she'd said to him about enjoying that power.

Michael, Isabel and Kyle looked around at each other awkwardly, without saying anything until Michael blurted to Isabel, "Does he have to be here for this?"

Isabel implored Michael with her teary eyes, "Michael, please don't start, okay? Yes, I need him, here. Okay? Okay!?"

Michael huffed and nodded, "Yeah, sure. Whatever. So? Which way are you leaning? Lex? Or our baby?"

Isabel's tears welled up and spilled over, again and she admitted, "I'm not. That's the problem. I mean, I know I'm pregnant but Lex is more real to me. That and our baby really doesn't like me, Michael. This child is still angry. I can feel it. I'm afraid to make a decision with the way that I'm feeling because I don't know this baby, yet.

Just the thought of watching my little boy speed through a childhood I've been looking forward to, gosh, Michael, it just, it hurts. What if that's exactly how I feel about our child once he or she is born? One way or another, one of my children, isn't going to have the childhood that I wanted for them. How am I supposed to choose which one of them to do that to?

Should we just do what Kal wants for the reasons he cited? Just because this child fits what the mission was supposed to be? How is that fair? If this baby presents as the eldest, how is Lex going to feel about that, when he figures out that he was my firstborn? I know it's always bothered me between Max and I, the way it carried over to Earth with us. Max has always acted like he was older than me, for as long as I can remember! I mean, did that contribute to Vilandra betraying her own brother? I don't know the answers!

They're both my babies, and I know one of them can't stay a baby. I just. I can't decide, Michael. I don't know what to do. One of my babies is going to be a six year old child, before I'm ready for it."

Michael was quiet as he weighed everything she had said and then he suggested, "I vote for maintaining the birth order. Use the elixir on Lex. To hell with what Kojak wants or when he wants it or why he wants it."

Isabel teared up and asked Kyle, "What about you?"

Kyle winced and answered, "Surprisingly, I think I have to go with Heckle, on this one. That Kal guy seems to have an agenda that he isn't sharing with us. I don't trust him. I vote for maintaining the birth order, too. Ultimately, though, Isabel, you're their Mother. Whatever you decide, I've got your back, even if you decide against our votes."

Michael nodded and agreed, "Same here. I won't fight whatever decision you make. Just give me a heads up when you do decide, okay?"

Isabel nodded but stopped Michael from leaving, "Michael, wait, there's something else I want to talk to you about.,

"Kyle, would you mind giving us the room?"

Kyle looked a bit surprised but was unoffended. He rubbed Isabel's shoulder on his way by her and said, "Sure. No problem. I'll be in the living room wrestling Ava for Lex."

Michael looked at Isabel expectantly and asked, "Okay, what's up?"

Isabel hesitated then blurted out, "I've been seriously considering relinquishing this baby to you and Maria to raise as your own. In that case, he or she would be your eldest. Maria can't have two infants too close in age any more than I can, so in that case, it would make more sense to use the elixir on our baby, Michael."

Michael was stunned and he advised, "That is not happening, Isabel. You are our child's Mother; not Maria. Why would you ever consider that, even?"

Tears ran down Isabel's face and she answered, "Because it's what our baby wants, Michael. Our baby has made it very clear to me that he or she wants Maria; and not me."

TBC ...
Last edited by Fidomom on Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~FM :)
I'm also a moderator at Roswell Ardor fan fiction forum.

keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Finding Something Better by Fidomom (AU,M/M,TEEN/ADULT) Ch1-12/? - 12/10/18

Postby keepsmiling7 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:45 pm

What in the world is going on with this group??
Isabel and Michael.......??
All of this baby business going on and Max still refuses to let Liz get pregnant. How much more can she take?
I can't wait to see how all of this plays out.
Thanks,
Carolyn

Return to “The Alien Abyss”