From Me To You (AU,M/L,Mature) Ch 19 - AN 12/26 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

Jason's Lover
Addicted Roswellian

Part 11

Post by Jason's Lover »

Chapter Eleven ~ Liz

“I’m coming.” I yell, hurriedly trying to pull on a pair of jeans as the door bell rings incessantly.

Zipping my pants up, I sprint down the steps, opening the door swiftly. “Isabel, hey, what are you doing here? I thought you were leaving today?”

She smiles warmly. “I am. In a few hours actually. I just wanted to talk to you before I left.”

I nod, stepping aside. “Sure.”

Taking a seat beside her on the couch, I twirl my wet hair up in a bun. “So, what’s up?”

“Well, I know that you know Alex a lot better than I do.” Isabel starts off, a slight flush on her face. “You went to school together and you’re best friends. You’re practically like a sister to him.”

“Isabel…,” I interject gently, placing a hand over hers. “What are you trying to ask me?”

“I like Alex.” She confirms, getting to the point. “I like him a lot. We talk and we can laugh and---he’s just the greatest person. I know what I want from him, what I want from us. I just don’t know if it’s---”

“What he wants?” I supply, my eyebrows raised.

She nods slowly. “I know, I shouldn’t be asking you. This is something I should be discussing with Alex, but we’re not an item yet and I didn’t want to mention anything to him and come off sounding---”

“Desperate?” I offer again.

Isabel smiles crookedly before frowning. “Am I?”

I chuckle lightly. “No, you’re not desperate. You just want a relationship. There’s nothing wrong with that.”

“So, what do I do?” She queries, her expression uncertain. “I mean, does Alex even like me, you know, enough to want to make this official?”

“Weren’t you the ones making out in my den day before yesterday?” I counter, grinning as she laughs in embarrassment.

“Yeah, I know.” Isabel smiles, rubbing her neck. “I’m nineteen and insecure. What can I say?”

I shake my head. “Alex likes you. He always has. You have nothing to worry about. I can assure you that.”

She releases a deep breath, nodding her head. “Thanks.”

“It’s no problem. I’m glad to help.” I answer, looking down at my fingernails. “But Isabel, you’re young and you’re still growing. Please, don’t let this type of stuff stress you out - this guy drama. It’s not worth it in the end.”

Isabel arches an eyebrow. “Are we still talking about me or my brother?”

I glance up at her then, noting the inquisitive look in her eyes. “Do you really have to ask?”

She smiles. “Liz, he really does love you.”

I roll my eyes heavenly. “That seems to be the popular sentiment these days.”

“I know you don’t believe him, and I don’t blame you for the way you feel, but I know love when I see it.” She tells me, her tone insisting. “He’s telling you the truth.”

“He’s your brother.” I say quietly. “I don’t expect you to say any differently.”

“That’s not what this is.” Isabel denies. “I’m not afraid to let Max know when he screws up. And I have. You can ask him, I’m more than a willing participant. But I’m not going to sit here and let you think something that’s completely untrue either. I care about the both of you way too much.”

I sigh heavily. “I appreciate your concern, but it’s a lot more complicated than that. Max can tell me anything he wants until he’s blue in the face, whether it’s the truth or not and it still wouldn’t matter. I learned a long time ago that his actions speak louder than his words.”

“I wish you could see him.” She replies after a long while. “I wish you could see the way he looks at you when you’re not looking. It’s beautiful.”

I fold my hands on my lap, shrugging lightly. “I don’t know what you want me to say.”

“Just give him a chance. Let him try.”

“It’s not that simple.” I murmur.

“I know it isn’t.” Isabel replies, her eyes sympathetic. “He hurt you…immensely. And by no means, should he be completely forgiven for it so effortlessly, but I wouldn’t have even bothered to say anything at all, if I didn’t know how much Max regrets every single thing he’s ever done that resulted in letting you go.”

I meet her gaze, my eyes burning with unshed tears. “It’s so hard to make yourself believe in something when you’ve spent so long being convinced that it wasn’t possible. It may be the biggest excuse in the world right now, but it’s the only thing that makes any sense. Can you understand that?”

She nods sadly. “I do.”

“So, Max says he loves me…,” I continue. “I‘m not going to denounce the credibility of it and call him a liar, because quite frankly, Max has never lied to me. But I need a lot more than just his profession to truly believe it.”

Isabel smiles softly, placing a comforting hand over mine. “Will you talk to him? Tell him what you just told me?”

I shrug, rubbing my forehead. “What good would it do? This is all just one big mess as it is. I really don’t feel like I should be the one to fix it either.”

“Maybe not.” She agrees. “But if Max offered, would you let him?”

“I don’t know.” I whisper. “I’m so confused. I don’t know what to do anymore.”

“You’ll figure it out.” Isabel says gently. “I may not be in your shoes, but I know you’ll do what’s best. You always have.”

I smile my gratitude. “I wish I had that much confidence. But I think you might be slightly crazy.”

Isabel laughs, reaching over to hug me. “I wish I had more time to stay, but unfortunately, I need an education.”

“Poor you.” I quip with a smile, returning the embrace. “I know Nicole is going to be so bummed she didn’t get to say goodbye to you. That girl adores you something terrible.”

“It’s mutual.” She replies, pulling away. “I’ll call her when I get back.”

“She’d love that.”

Standing from the couch, I walk her to the door, hugging one last time. “Take care Iz. Have a safe trip.”

“I will.” She promises, brushing her blond locks away from her eyes. “Can I ask a favor?”

I narrow my eyes, crossing my arms. “Is it Max related?”

“Maybe.” Isabel smiles coyly, undeterred by my groan. “Just, please Liz, hear him out. Don’t turn him away, no matter how tempting the notion to do so may be. You might like what he has to say.”

I sigh, uncrossing my arms. “I can’t make any promises.”

She nods. “That’s good enough.”

Today on Maury, exes begging for forgiveness. Can you really trust them again?

I frown in annoyance, my legs folded up to my chest. Great. Just what I needed.

Shutting off the television, I close my eyes, dropping my head into my hands helplessly. I’ve never been so undecided in my life. I usually know what to do, what to expect. But now, everything’s such a blur. I feel like I’ve been tossed into a tornado.

I want to let Max in. I want to fix this, to fix us. But I’m terrified of what it’ll mean. I trusted him once, believed in him more than I believed in myself. I thought he’d always want what I did, because we were meant to be together. It was a naïve thing to base your life on, but I was eighteen and pregnant and so in love. What else was I supposed to think? How was I to know that he’d shatter my dreams and let me down?

To be honest, it was foolish of me. Nothing’s ever that perfect…that idealistic. I’ve tasted reality. I know what it feels like to have the one thing you want more than your next breathe taken away from you. I’ve felt that hurt, the overwhelming disappointment. I’ve dwelled in it, lived it for a long time. No matter how much I may love Max, there’s no way I’m up for an encore of that experience. I won’t put myself through that again. More importantly, I won’t subject my daughter to it. She means the world to me.

Snapping my head up as the doorbell shrills loudly, I stand up from the couch slowly, rubbing my hands on my jeans as I reluctantly make my way to the door. Swinging it open, I’m not surprised to see Max here. I’d been expecting him ever since Isabel left.

I lean on the door post, crossing my arms. “Wow, two Evanses' all in one morning. Did you plan this?”

Max arches an eyebrow, his expression bewildered. “Plan what?”

I stare at him closely, finally deciding he hasn’t the slightest clue what I’m talking about. “Isabel stopped by earlier.” I inform him, walking away.

He steps inside, shutting the door behind him. “What for?”

I sit on the couch tiredly. “She wanted to talk.”

Max takes a seat across from me, his eyes suddenly wary. “About what?”

I pin him with a disbelieving frown. “Do you really think I’m going to tell you?”

“No.” He answers honestly. “But it doesn’t hurt to ask.”

I smile faintly. “We talked about you.”

“Oh?” He queries, his tone imploring.

I watch him carefully. “Yeah, imagine how that went.”

“I don’t think I want to.” Max admits, glancing at me. “I’m pretty sure I wasn’t glorified.”

“No, you weren’t.” I reply, smirking at his expression.

“I just dropped her off at the airport.” He says, shaking his head. “She mentioned nothing about this to me.”

“Maybe she didn’t want you to know.” I shrug, crossing my legs.

“Then why did you tell me?”

“Because you asked.” I answer simply.

Max chuckles, scratching his chin briefly. “You’re not making any sense. I don‘t understand.”

“That’s exactly how I feel.” I reply pointedly, all traces of amusement gone from his demeanor.

Our gazes lock, an unwavering amount of emotion transpired in the moment. It’s a while before I finally look away. “If you’re here to tell me you love me again, it’s best if you don’t. I‘m not up for the tug of war right now.”

His dark eyes are intense, their determination unmatched. “I’m here to make things right.”

“That won’t happen overnight.” I retort.

“I know it won’t.” Max agrees, sitting forward. “I get that. And I’m more than willing to do whatever it takes to earn your trust again---for you to believe in me. I’d do anything to fix that.”

I close my eyes briefly, an array of questions floating through my head. “For as long as I’ve known you, this is the first time you’ve ever been this hard to understand. God, Max, we were fine two weeks ago. What the hell changed?”

“I haven’t been fine for a long time now.” He admits quietly. “I just knew how to hide it.”

“Why would you have to hide?” I ask in exasperation, my voice rising. “It was you Max. You were the one that said no. We aren’t together because you said you weren’t ready. Now all of a sudden you are?”

“It’s never an easy thing to comprehend, but people change Liz.” He replies, his stare unwavering. “I’ve changed. I want to make you understand.”

I hold his gaze. “What if I’m not ready to understand? What if I‘m not ready for any of this?”

Max smiles wistfully. “Then I’ll wait. For how ever long I have to. You‘re worth it.”

I stare at him a while longer, hating the fact that his words made my heart flutter. I won’t give in to him. I can’t.

“I have to pick Nicole up from school.” I announce, standing up from the couch. “I can’t be late.”

He glances at his watch, arching an eyebrow. “It’s ten to twelve. School’s over at three.”

I unravel my hair, letting it fall down over my shoulders. “They have a early dismissal today.”

“Oh.” He murmurs, standing up as well. “I can go for her.”

“It’s fine.” I reply, slipping on my sandals. “I’m dressed anyway.”

I can feel his gaze on me, the heat of it boring through my back as I turn to put my jacket on. He wants to object to my dismissal, but he knows I’ll refuse him. It’s what I do.

“There’s a parents teachers conference this evening at the school.” I inform him, relenting with a sigh. “You can come if you like.”

Max smirks, sobering up quickly when I glare at him. “I’ll be there.”

“Good.”

“Here.” He mumbles, holding out a wad of money in front of me. “This is for you.”

I stare at the money, my eyes bouncing back and forth between his face and his outstretched hand. “What‘s this?”

“It’s money Liz.” Max chuckles, much to my chagrin. He knows exactly what I meant.

I narrow my eyes at him. “I know it’s money. I want to know why you’re giving it to me?”

“You quit your job, Liz.” He reminds me, his tone gentle. “I told you I’d help out any way that I can. And besides that, you’re the mother of my child. I want you to have it.”

I swallow convulsively, a wave of intense indignation surging through me. “And I told you I can take care of myself. I don’t need your money Max. I can manage on my---”

“Liz!” Max says fiercely, startling me momentarily. “I’m not giving you this money out of pity or any other reason you’re more than likely thinking. You don’t need to have pride with me. I want to do this. Stop fighting me on it. Take the money Liz.”

I shake my head. “Max---”

“Take it.” He repeats softly, enfolding the bills in my palm. “And no, I don’t want it back.”

I roll my eyes, fighting every restraint in my being to give it right back. I can’t help it.

I put it in my pocket, his eyes following my every movement. This is definitely a first.

“Thank you.” I murmur sheepishly, averting my gaze.

“Your welcome.” He smiles. “Should I pick you and Nicole up later or just meet you at the school?”

“You can pick us up.” I reply, grabbing my purse off the counter. “One vehicle instead of two. It would make more sense.”

Max nods. “Okay. I’ll see you later.”

Glancing up at him beneath my lashes, he openly grins at me as I move to open the door.

“What?” I exclaim in annoyance, unnerved by the way he’s watching me.

“Can I take you out?” He queries. “You and Nicole?”

“Can you what?” I ask in shock, my eyes wide.

“It’s not a date, obviously.” Max assures me with a crooked smile. “I mean, with what we just discussed, that’s not even in the equation. I just--I want to take you guys out. Have some fun together. That is allowed, right?”

I blink rapidly. “Um, sure, but uh, do you think that’s a good idea? Right now? With all that’s happening between us?”

“I know it may seem a bit awkward, but that doesn’t even have to be mentioned.” He replies, his eyes hopeful. “Please, don’t say no.”

I sigh. “Max…”

“Liz…”

“Okay.” I relent, my tone anxious. “Where’re we going?”

He smiles secretively, leaning down to kiss my cheek. “It’s a surprise.”

TBC…
Last edited by Jason's Lover on Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jason's Lover
Addicted Roswellian

Part 12

Post by Jason's Lover »

Chapter 12 ~ Max

“Peanut butter and jelly or a chicken sandwich?”

Nicole bites her lower lip, pondering my question. “Peanut butter and jelly.”

“Over a chicken sandwich?” I exclaim, my eyebrows raised.

“I had chicken for lunch.” She explains, scrunching up her nose. “I really don’t want it again.”

I chuckle at her expression. “Okay, peanut butter and jelly it is.”

“Don’t forget to…”

“Peel off the edges of the bread.” I finish, winking at her over my shoulder. “I remember.”

She nods her head, returning to her homework. I frown with her quiet demeanor. Nicole is never quiet.

“So…,” I begin, clearing my throat. “What’re you working on?”

“English homework.”

I nod. “Not liking it?”

Nicole shrugs. “It’s okay. It’s not like it’s hard stuff.”

“I was never into English when I was in school.” I tell her, placing a plate in front of her. “Your mom was really good at it. I always liked science.”

“So that’s where I get it from.”

I arch an eyebrow. “Get what from?”

“Didn’t you see my test score on the board when you picked me up today?” She asks, her eyebrows knitted. “Mrs. Smith said I got the highest score on the science quiz.”

“I did see it.” I grin, popping a grape in my mouth. “I was just waiting for you to tell me.”

Nicole frowns, her pencil poised in her hand. “Did you just trick me?”

I chuckle in earnest. “Sort of.”

She takes a bite of her sandwich, jelly poised on the side of her mouth. “I thought you did.”

“So what’s got you so stumped?” I ask, inclining my head towards her books on the table. “I’d know a frustrated look anywhere.”

“I’m not stumped.” She denies, closing her books suddenly. “It’s only nouns and adverbs. How hard can it be?”

“You want some help?” I counter, undeterred by her indignant attitude.

“I thought you didn’t like English.” Nicole replies, chewing slowly.

I shrug. “I don’t. But I could try.”

She shakes her head. “It’s okay, dad. I could do it.”

I nod, popping another grape in my mouth. “So if I were to check over your homework later, everything would be correct?”

She doesn’t answer. I know exactly where she gets her stubbornness from.

“Don’t ever be ashamed to ask for help when you need it.” I reprimand. “Pride isn’t always a good thing to have.”

“I don’t need any help.” Nicole responds, averting my gaze. “I just can’t concentrate.”

“Why can’t you concentrate?” I query, leaning forward. “What’s wrong?”

She looks at me briefly before lowering her eyes. “Nothing daddy.”

I sigh. “Nicole, I can tell when something’s bothering you. I’m your father, it’s my job.”

“I-It’s just this thing Dylan said at school today.” Nicole relents, frowning.

“What’d he say?”

“That his parents are divorced and they live in different houses.” She answers, seemingly bewildered. “He confused me.”

I scratch my chin. “Why did that confuse you?”

“You and mommy live in different houses.” Nicole says pointedly. “Does that mean you got a divorce?”

I stare at her in a stupor, completely thrown off by her question. I take a moment to choose my words carefully.

“No, we didn’t get a divorce. Your mom and I were never married to begin with.” I respond slowly, watching her intently.

“But you had me?” She counters, gesturing to herself. “Don’t parents have kids after they get married?”

“That’s the proper way to do things, or should I say, that’s what people expect from married couples, but that didn’t happen with me and your mom.” I explain. “I made some mistakes and things happened. When you were born, we were both a couple of kids ourselves.”

“Don’t you want to marry mommy someday?” Nicole asks, her big eyes inquisitive. “Don’t you love mommy?”

My heart clenches with her question. “I love mommy a lot. I love the both of you.”

She nods her head, still looking unsatisfied. “Does mommy love you?”

I open my mouth, about to respond, when my insecurities override my certainty. Should I be as bold as to say yes, or keep my vulnerability hidden to my own child? None seems very appealing at the moment.

Gratefully, the door bell rings, effectively cutting off any answer I attempted to give…for now.

I blow out a breath, standing from the chair. “That must be Maria. She came to pick you up.”

Nicole looks up at me. “But I haven’t finished my homework. And I thought mommy was coming for me?”

“Mommy’s held up today. And I’m sure Maria will see that you finish your homework.” I respond, kissing her head lightly. “I have to go to work.”

She nods, picking up her books. “I’ll go get my stuff.”

Jogging to the door, I swing it open, Maria’s hand poised to ring the doorbell again. “God, I was beginning to think this thing was broken or something.”

I smile. “No, it’s not broken. I’m just slow in hearing.”

Maria kisses my cheek, engulfing me in a hug. “There is nothing slow about you Max Evans.”

I return her embrace. “Your flattery will always be top notch.”

She pulls back, grinning. “Glad you noticed. Where’s your twin?”

“Getting her things together.” I answer, stepping aside to let her in. “By the way, do you know where Liz is by any chance?”

“Las Cruces University.” She answers nonchalantly, flipping through a magazine. “She’s signing up for med classes.”

I narrow my eyes. “She is?”

Maria freezes, her fingers stilling on the pages. “You didn’t know?”

I shake my head.

She grimaces, groaning in dismay. “Damn it. Why is it always me?”

I arch an eyebrow. “What are you talking about?”

“Max, if you didn’t know then Liz hasn’t told you.” She rants, frowning. “Her reasons are her own obviously. I just stuck my foot in my mouth as per usual.”

I nod in understanding. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s not your fault.” Maria scoffs self-deprecatingly. “I just don’t know when to shut the hell up. God, Micheal’s right, I should be in rehab.”

“It’s okay.” I dismiss, shrugging. “You only answered my question. I could forget I asked anything.”

She turns to me with hopeful eyes. “Could you?”

“No.” I answer, smirking. “That just felt like the right thing to say.”

Maria swears, chewing her lip. “Look, I need to clear my conscience.”

I cross my arms over my chest. “About what?”

“It was me, alright.” She exclaims, throwing her hands up in the air. “I was the one that told Liz about you asking where she was that night with Sean. I blew your spot. But I had to. Once Liz is on the prowl about certain information, she doesn’t let up. She’s like a piranha, knawing at your insides until you bleed. And besides, she’s my cousin, I couldn’t just keep it a secret and not tell her. It would defy all my principles.”

My lips twitch in amusement. “Are you done?”

She nods.

“Good. Now before you condemn yourself to hell, I already knew you told her. And I’m glad you did.”

Maria raises an eyebrow in surprise. “You are?”

I shrug. “If you hadn’t told Liz, then she wouldn’t have confronted me about anything.”

She blinks, shaking her head. “Okay, I’m confused.”

“Liz was the catalyst…how pissed off she was at what I did.” I explain. “That argument forced me to acknowledge all this repressed emotion I had inside of me. I was able to confess how I really feel about her.”

Maria nods. “How do you feel about her?”

I place my hands in my pocket, suddenly self-conscious with her penetrating look. “I love her.”

A brief pause ensues before she squeals loudly. “This is amazing.”

“What is?”

Maria grins, clapping excitedly. “You’re in love with Liz, she’s in love with you. It’s perfect. I think I’m going to cry.”

I shake my head. “It’s hardly any cause for celebration.”

“What do you mean?” She replies. “This is every reason to celebrate.”

“Liz still doesn’t trust me.” I respond. “I don’t blame her, but there’s still so much left for me to do before I can get my hopes up. I haven’t swept her off her feet yet.”

“I’d say you’re pretty close.” She mumbles, innocently picking the lint of her jeans.

My eyes narrow in suspicion. “What was that?”

Maria rolls her eyes. “Max, you took her and Nicole to Senor Chows last weekend.”

I shrug. “So? They did some renovating and made the restaurant more appealing. I wanted to show them what it looked like.”

“Does “first date” ring a bell?” She replies, glancing at me. “Take a nice long trip down memory lane. Try ten years ago.”

Our first date. “I know. But it doesn’t have to mean anything. Not if she doesn’t want it to.”

“It already does.” Maria says softly. “If this doesn’t tread the line of interference, I’m telling you it meant something to Liz.”

I frown in skepticism. “How do you know?”

She smiles coyly. “I know everything. In fact, I’ll do you one better. Let me keep Nicole tonight.”

“Why?”

“I want to.” Maria shrugs, a mischievous glint in her gaze. “I miss my god daughter.”

I sigh. “What are you up to?”

“Nothing.” She shrugs, smiling innocently. “I just want you and Liz to have a good time tonight.”

“How did you know--”

Maria holds up a hand, cutting off my question. “I told you. I know everything.”

I shake my head, chuckling. “Do you know you’re crazy?”

She winks at me. “I know that too.”

Sipping my coffee, I glance at the over head clock for the third time in five minutes. Where is she?

I called Liz to let her know that we’d be meeting alone tonight. She sounded apprehensive over the phone, but agreed all the same. I hope she hasn’t changed her mind.

Looking out through the window, I spot her crossing the street, hurrying to avoid any oncoming traffic. She’s dressed casually, wearing a pair of jeans and a form fitting blouse. Her hair is held away from her face with a clip, strands escaping and blowing in the breeze.

She’s always been beautiful to me, seeming to look younger as the years progressed. As much as I adore her natural beauty, it’s always been her eyes that captivated me. They always drew me in, held my attention effortlessly.

As she walks in the café, our gazes collide. She smiles softly.

That one action ignites a flare of longing, my stomach rumbling as she approaches me. She always had that affect. Why did it take me so long to realize what it meant?

“Hey.” I greet her, standing up to pull out her chair.

She smiles gratefully. “Hi. I hope I didn’t keep you waiting too long.”

“It‘s okay.” I reply, sitting down across from her. “You were busy.”

Liz nods, averting my gaze. “Should I order something?”

I shrug. “If you want.”

She browses the menu, chewing her lip in thought. “I just want a latte.”

I call the waitress over. She takes her order, before departing with the menu.

“So, why did Maria insist on watching Nicole tonight?” Liz queries, looking at me expectantly.

I smile. “I’d be lying if I told you I understood any of her motives for the things she does.”

Liz watches me, her expression wary. “Why are we here, Max?”

“I wanted to talk.”

She sighs, looking away. “I thought we agreed that we weren’t---”

“It’s not about us.” I interject. “It’s about Nicole.”

She narrows her eyes, her concern visible. “What happened?”

I clear my throat, pulling my seat in closer. “She asked me something today.”

“What?”

“She wanted to know why we weren’t…married.”

Liz sits back, closing her eyes briefly. “What did you tell her?”

“I told her the truth.”

“The truth?” She questions, her eyes cautious. “What does that mean?”

“I didn’t make up some tale.” I say pointedly. “I explained it to her the best way that I could.”

“Did she understand you?”

“It seems like she did.” I respond, looking down at my coffee. “I won’t be surprised if she has more questions though.”

Liz sighs, shaking her head. “This wasn’t supposed to happen now.”

I scratch my stubble. “It was inevitable Liz.”

“And preventable as well.”

I arch an eyebrow. “What are you saying?”

“Don’t you see, Max?” She continues. “It’s not a coincidence that she’s asking questions. She must’ve heard something or got some sort of impression. If you and I weren’t at this, this constant stand point of indecision--”

“No.” I interrupt her, my ire flared. “Don’t do that.”

“Don’t do what?” She hisses.

“Don’t make this out to be my fault.” I whisper angrily. “Don’t try to pin my intentions for our relationship as the reason why she’s curious all of a sudden. We always knew this day would come. There’s no point in hiding.”

“Who’s hiding?” Liz cries in rebuttal. “I’m trying to protect her.”

“Protect her from what?” I exclaim. “She asked a question Liz. Not offer to dismantle an atomic bomb.”

“This is so much bigger than you’re allowing it to be.” She responds. “We don’t know what she’ll think when she knows everything. I’m willing to spare her any semblance of being hurt. Are you?”

I stare at her in disbelief, her words finally sinking in. “You think I’ll hurt my own daughter?”

Liz lowers her gaze. “Not intentionally, but it is a possibility.”

“Why? Because you say so?” I clip out. “There’s no chance in hell, intentionally or otherwise. I’d give my life first.”

“I’m not saying you wouldn’t.” She replies, rubbing her temple. “God Max, can you really blame me for saying this?”

I glare at her. “Of all people, you should know better.”

“I don’t know anything.” Liz says in exasperation. “I don’t have any answers. Can you understand that?”

I pinch the bridge of my nose. “That’s not a reason and you know it.”

“And what is?” She counters. “I may be clueless Max, but you’re no different. And it’s not meant to hurt you. It’s just the truth.”

I look her intently before standing up from my seat. Dropping some money onto the table, I grab my jacket.

“It already has.”

TBC…
Last edited by Jason's Lover on Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jason's Lover
Addicted Roswellian

Part 13

Post by Jason's Lover »

Chapter Thirteen ~ Liz

“Liz, would you please hurry up. We’re going to be late.”

I roll my eyes in annoyance. “We’re just going to meet Kyle and Alex.” I yell, frantically throwing clothes out of my closet onto my bed. “They could wait.”

“Or you could make haste.” She retorts, stepping inside my room. “It never takes you this long to find something to wear.” Maria’s eyes wonder over to my bed. “What’s with the attack of the wardrobe?”

I shrug, pushing my hair behind my ears. “I haven’t found anything I want to put on yet.”

She walks over to my opened closet, her hands gesturing wildly. “Liz, the friggin thing is empty.”

“Is that an observation or an educated guess?”

Maria straightens, eyeing me curiously. “Are you being smart with me?”

I throw on a marine tank top before abruptly taking it off, not even answering her.

She watches me silently. “Okay, it’s quite obvious you’re not in a humorous mood today. What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.”

“Liz, I already know about what you said to Max.” Maria says pointedly. “I’ve known for two days now.”

I glance at her. “Who told you?”

“Does that matter? You should’ve told me.”

“I didn’t particularly feel like discussing it.” I respond evenly.

“You didn’t feel like discussing it?” She repeats incredulously. “For anyone else Liz, that’s acceptable, but not for me.”

“What else do you want me to say?” I exclaim in exasperation. “Okay, sorry, I didn’t tell you Maria. Silly me for wanting to keep my personal business my own. God, my life is not a sitcom. Everything doesn’t need to be analyzed and talked about.”

Maria shakes her head. “That’s not what I meant and you know it. Why are you making this more difficult than it has to be?”

“It is what it is.” I retort. “You wanted to know and you already do. So, go ahead. Dissect my problems and tell me what I’m doing wrong. Take his side like you always do.”

“That is a load of crap.” Maria scoffs, crossing her arms over her chest. “This isn’t about me or any motive you think I have to not hear you out. This is about you and the fact that you’re too scared to forgive Max.”

“I’m not scared of anything.” I deny hotly. “Max least of all.”

Maria frowns, rolling her eyes. “Right, that’s why everyone but him knows how you feel.”

Pulling on a pair of black jeans and a beige blouse, I sit on the bed to put on my boots. “How I feel is the last thing I want to discuss with Max.”

“Why?”

“Because it just is.” I respond dismissively. “I don’t want to talk about this anymore.”

Maria sighs loudly. “When are you going to stop being such a coward? God Liz, this isn’t like you.”

I stand up from the bed, appalled by her accusation. “I’m a coward? Me?”

“Yes Liz, you are.” She says firmly. “Instead of just telling Max how you feel, you continually skirt around the issue and unnecessarily complicate things. This isn’t as hard as you’re making it out to be.”

I shake my head, scoffing indignantly. “You couldn’t possibly understand what it’s like to be in my shoes. This is anything but easy. Far from it.”

“It is easy.” Maria responds softly, coming to stand in front of me. “You either forgive him or you don’t. That is the only thing you have to do.”

I lick my lips, struggling to keep my tears at bay. “Then why does it feel like when I finally make up my mind, this monumental change is going to happen and no matter the outcome, I can’t go back?”

Maria shrugs sadly, her arms crossed over her chest. “Because you can’t. Once you go down that route, there is no turning back. Believe it or not, this is a second chance - for the both of you. And it’s scary and uncertain, but it won’t ever outweigh the happiness and complete wholeness the both of you are bound to feel once you’re together again. I can’t think of any two people more perfect for each other than you and Max are for one another.”

Cracking a soft smile, I swipe a hand across my cheek, wiping away my tears. “I’m sorry for being a bitch.”

Maria smiles, pulling me into a hug. “You’re forgiven.”

I return her embrace, pulling away slowly. “I reckon this isn’t the only apology I’ll have to ensue today.”

“You reckon or you’re absolutely sure?”

I sigh, running a hand through my hair. “I’m sure. I just - I feel so terrible for saying what I did that I don’t even know how I’d go about making amends for it.”

“Just be honest with him.” Maria suggests. “Tell him exactly what you’re thinking and feeling, no matter how brash it may be.”

“Isn’t it that same brashness that has me in this position to begin with?” I query, an eyebrow arched.

Maria hurriedly picks up my jacket and purse, placing them in my arms before walking out of the room, racing down the stairs. “Liz, everything in this world can be abused. As will you, if we don’t leave right now.”

I follow suit, putting on my jacket and pulling my hair out from underneath the collar. “Lead the way.”

“That did not happen!”

“You are so in denial.” Kyle chuckles, sipping his drink. “Admit it Liz, you saw me naked in college and it made you hot.”

“Made me hot?” I laugh. “What cheap ass porno have you been watching?”

“The one where you gazed upon my beauty and fell to my feet, too over come with emotion.”

Maria chokes on her salad, eyeing him in amusement. “Emotion? I’m sorry, Kyle, but I’m surprised that word is even in your vocabulary.”

Kyle nods, smiling. “If you are referring to my asinine, demeaning behavior towards women in the past, I assure you, that’s been put to rest. I’m a new man these days.”

I smile cheekily. “This new change of character wouldn’t happen to have something to do with a woman, would it?”

Alex scratches the back of his neck innocently, avoiding Kyle’s stare. “I’m guessing Alex told you about Kathy.”

“Kathy?” Maria exclaims, feigning surprise. “What on earth do you mean?”

Kyle rolls his eyes. “Yes, Kathy Davis, she’s my girlfriend of almost two months now. We have fun together. Satisfied?”

“That almost sounds like quick stats.” Maria quips.

Alex chuckles. “Kyle’s being modest. It’s much more than just having fun. He bought her a “promise” ring the other day. Eighteen karats and everything.”

“Shelling out the big bucks, huh?” I tease. “She must be special.”

“Make fun all you want, but this girl is amazing. In fact, I’d like you all to meet her.”

Maria jumps out of her seat, crushing Kyle’s head to her chest. “I’d love to. I’m so proud.”

“I can hear your heart beating…very loudly.” Kyle says, his words muffled within her shirt.

Pulling away, she smiles sheepishly. “My bad. I’m just so happy for you. If only these other two crazy kids I know that are totally in love would take heed.”

I pin her with a glare. “Maria…,”

Kyle groans. “You have got to be shitting me? You and Max still aren’t together?”

“Nope.” Alex answers, shaking his head. “It’s like Moses and Mary resisting the inevitable.”

“Quite an analogy.” Maria chimes in. “I’ll have to use that one some time.”

I roll my eyes. “This is such a violation of privacy.”

Alex chuckles. “In which state?”

“Sure as hell not this one.” Maria quips.

“We are here at this fine eatery, enjoying a nice afternoon, catching up on old times.” I say, crossing my legs. “There are so many other things to discuss besides my relationship, or lack there of with Max. Let’s talk about thanksgiving or something. It's a few weeks away. It’ll come quicker than you think.”

“Nah, I don’t think there’s really any talking that goes into thanksgiving.” Kyle replies pensively. “The day just arrives, our folks make our favorite dishes and we eat it. In fact, there isn’t that much talking done at all.”

“I agree.” Alex nods. “Besides, we don’t want to talk about thanksgiving, we want to talk about you and Max.”

“I’d rather we not.”

“Why?”

Why?” I parrot incredulously. “It’s upsetting and personal. Unrequited and sacred. Do I need to go on?”

Maria shrugs. “Do you?”

I groan miserably. “This isn’t fair. How come we never talk about you and Micheal? Or Alex and Isabel? Why does it always come back to Max and I?”

“Because.” Kyle replies pathetically. “It’s you and Max. You guys have the biggest history.”

“And fights.” Maria includes.

“And drama.” Alex murmurs.

I narrow my eyes, cocking my head to the side. “So you’re telling me you get a kick out of our misery?”

“Not per se.” Maria responds. “We enjoy hearing you guys bitch out one moment, and then lovey dovey the next like nothing ever happened. It’s really amusing.”

“And that is what you want me to condone?”

“Not condone necessarily.” Kyle replies. “Just relent a little.”

I shake my head, sitting back in my chair. “You are all insane.”

“Look, the gist is, you and Max belong together.” Kyle says definitively. “He’s the one for you.”

I cross my arms over my chest, arching an eyebrow. “Since when are you his biggest fan? The last I remember, you were at each other’s throats.”

Kyle shrugs. “Things change. I mean, Max and I will never be the best of pals, but he’s good people. And he loves you. Everyone knows that. He might’ve kept it repressed for reasons beyond my comprehension, but I think he realized it that day.”

My eyebrows furrow inquisitively. “What day?”

“That day he came to see you.” Kyle answers nonchalantly. “It was about two weeks after you guys broke up. I was in town that week. His car was shot and he grudgingly asked me for a ride. I accepted - after much ribbing of course.”

I shake my head in bewilderment. “Max never came to see me after we broke up. In fact, we didn’t actually start talking again until a month later.”

“I was there.” Kyle says in rebuttal. “I saw him go in and he came back out like ten minutes later. He said everything went fine. He didn’t tell you about this, did he?”

I sit forward, frowning. “No, he didn’t.”

Maria looks over at me, her gaze understanding. “Do you want me to come with you?”

I nod, offering her a small smile. “Please.”

“Sure.”

“Wait, where are you two going?” Alex queries suspiciously.

“Max.” Maria answers simply, standing up from her chair. “We’ll catch up with you guys later.”

“No, hold on.” Kyle stops us, turning to address me. “I hope I didn’t stick my nose somewhere it didn’t belong. I honestly thought you knew about that.”

“It’s okay.” I smile. “I’m glad you told me. I needed to know.”

He nods, still slightly skeptic. “Okay. And uh, we got the bill. The lunch is on us.”

“Thanks.”

Alex stands, looking rather sheepish. “Um, Kyle, can you spot me too?”

I’ve just been standing here for ten minutes now, watching him play basketball in the yard all by himself. He was always good at it.

He hasn’t noticed me yet - or maybe he has and he’s still upset with me. Who could blame him?

Pushing my hair behind my ears, I take a deep breathe and walk further into the yard just as he makes a basket.

“Impressive.”

Max spins around at my voice, the ball poised between his palms. His stare penetrating.

I shrug, gesturing towards the hoop with an outstretched hand. “That’s the sixth three pointer I’ve seen you make in the last five minutes.”

He looks away briefly, repositioning the ball underneath his arm. “How long were you standing there?”

“A while.” I answer timidly, shoving my hands inside my pockets. “I wanted to talk to you.”

Max peers at me cautiously. “About what?”

I lick my lips, deciding to get right to the point. “You came to see me. Two weeks after we broke up.”

He sighs, running a hand through his sweat drenched hair. “Who told you?”

“Kyle.”

Max chuckles, dropping the ball to the ground. “He’s in town, huh? Perfect.”

“Max…,” I interject, looking up at him questioningly. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I didn’t think it mattered.” He responds, walking over to the steps beside the garage and sitting down. “It wouldn’t have made a difference anyway.”

I follow him, taking a seat near to him. “How would you know that? You never said a word.”

“And what if I did?” He counters, turning to face me. “Would we have ended up here?”

“I don’t know.” I murmur, brushing my hair out of my face. “What was I doing?”

Max looks ahead, sitting back. “You were sleeping. I rang the doorbell, but no one answered. I figured your parents weren’t there or something. I didn’t leave though. I went around the back and climbed up to your balcony. I just - I had to see you and I couldn‘t explain the urge or why I needed to. I guess I wanted to make sure you were okay. Anyway, I got up there and climbed through the window. And you were sleeping with Nicole right next to you. I sat on the edge of the bed and I watched the both of you, for what seemed like hours. I couldn’t turn myself away. I just…I missed you both so much. Nicole started whimpering in her sleep, you know, the way she always did when she was about to wake up. So I picked her up in my arms and I just held her. She opened her eyes and looked up at me…and smiled the biggest smile I’d ever seen her give. She fell back to sleep almost immediately after that.”

I smile reverently, bringing my legs up toward my chest. “That’s Nicole. Why didn’t you wake me?”

He looks down, his expression suddenly guarded. “It was the look on your face.”

“What look?”

“You looked serene…peaceful.” Max answered, his tone regrettable. “After I screwed everything up between us, I never saw you look that way again. Sleeping or otherwise. I just - I didn’t want to disturb you or what made you so content. I knew it wasn’t me. So, I left.”

“I wasn’t happy.” I murmur. “I was miserable and lonely. When I'd fall asleep, it was the only time I had any reprieve from what I was feeling when I was awake. I wanted you to stop by. I wanted to see you just as much as you wanted to see me.”

Max shakes his head self-deprecatingly, looking down. “I am so sorry. For everything.”

“I know you are.” I reply, sniffling. “I am too.”

He snorts, looking up. “You don’t have anything to be sorry for.”

“I do.” I retort, unfolding my legs. “What I said to you the other night, it was wrong.”

“I gave you every reason to feel the way that you do.” He interrupts. “I understand that. You don’t have to apologize to me.”

“No, you don’t understand.” I say in rebuttal, turning to face him. “Max, I said what I said not because I deliberately wanted to hurt you or punish you for anything you did in the past. I said it because I was scared and uncertain and so out of touch with everything around me. When you told me about what Nicole was asking, I just felt like my entire world was caving in. This thing I’ve been dreading for so long just sprung up on me out of no where and I wasn’t prepared for it. I freaked out and instead of being upfront about my fears, I hid them and took it out on you when you were the last person to ever deserve it. It just felt easier, you know, to rant about something completely irrelevant rather than to deal with your own short comings.”

Max nods, resting his elbows on his knees. “I know what you mean.”

Watching his profile intently, I make a split decision.

Shifting closer to him, I reach over and tentatively take his hand, linking our fingers together.

Max stares at me imploringly, his eyes finally resting on our joint hands. He squeezes gently.

“Everyone deserves a second chance.” I begin. “I’d be some kind of hypocrite to believe otherwise.”

He swallows imperceptibly. “What are you saying?”

“I’m saying that I forgive you.” I answer. “I want to let you in again.”

Max sighs, closing his eyes. “Why?”

I shrug. “It’s time to let go. We’re both different people now. I finally see that.”

“Liz…,”

“It’s not a romantic gesture.” I interrupt, wanting to be clear. “I’m not sure if we’ll ever end up there again, but I don’t want to be the reason we couldn’t. If anything, we can start over and get to know each other again. And, you know, be the parents our daughter needs us to be. I mean, we can do that, right?”

Max smiles gratefully, raising our joint hands to his lips to place a soft kiss on my knuckles. “We can do anything.”

TBC…
Last edited by Jason's Lover on Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jason's Lover
Addicted Roswellian

Part 14

Post by Jason's Lover »

Chapter Fourteen ~ Max

My front door slams loudly, rousing me from my nap. Cracking open one eye at the intrusion, I spot Micheal sprawled out on the sofa across from me, a scowl etched on his face.

Sighing tiredly, I sit up slowly, rubbing my eyes. “What’s the matter with you?”

Micheal rubs his jaw, his eyes hardening at my question. “Maria.”

Ah, I should’ve known.

“What did she do now?” I yawn, throwing the duvet across the back of the couch.

“I think she broke up with me.”

I arch an eyebrow inquiringly. “You think?”

He shrugs, sighing. “I don’t know. I never know the logic behind anything she says or does. She’s like a fucking cryptic language or something.”

My lips twitch in amusement. “What happened? You guys had an argument?”

“That’s just it, we didn’t have an argument.” He begins, sitting forward. “We didn’t bitch out or yell even once.”

“So, what’s the problem?”

“The problem is she’s never fucking satisfied.” He says in annoyance. “I could jump off a building for her and she’d tell me I didn’t jump high enough. You know how she’s always bitching about me working too much, right?”

I nod in response.

“Well today I took off early to meet her for lunch.” Micheal explains. “She’s been busting my ass about it all week, about wanting to meet up every Wednesday at that new place that opened up on Hobson Road. Anyway, we’re there and we’re eating, I even ordered all the crap I know she likes. I’m paying for it and while I’m looking at the bill, she keeps looking over her shoulder or staring at me. So I look up and I’m like, what’s wrong with you, she shrugs and says nothing. So I go back to looking at the bill and I feel her staring at me again. Annoyed as hell, because I absolutely hate when people do that to me, I ask her about it again and she says, nothing, I’m just curious as to what you have planned because so far you’ve been pretty nonchalant about it.”

My eyebrows rise in question. “What did she mean by that?”

“I have no idea and I told her just as much.” He replies. “Next thing I know, she’s glaring at me, her nostrils flaring before she jumps up out of her seat and storms out of the restaurant. I’m calling her name and then she just spins around and tells me to fuck off. I’m left standing there like what the fuck just happened. I’ve been calling her cell ever since she took off and she’s not answering. I don’t know what the hell her problem is.”

I scratch my chin in thought. “Could you maybe have forgotten about something? Her birthday maybe?”

He shook his head negatively. “Her birthday’s in December. Two days before Christmas. Trust me, as much nagging as I got last year about not getting her two gifts, I’d remember that.”

“Okay, perhaps an anniversary of some sort?”

Micheal snorted. “Our anniversary is November fifteenth. That‘s at least a week away.”

I shake my head incredulously, suppressing my laugh. Reaching for a miniature calendar and a pencil on my coffee table, I circle the date prominently before handing it to him.

The grimace that registers on his face a moment later is priceless.

“Fuck.” He whispers, pitching the calendar aside. “I forgot our anniversary. How in the hell? I thought today was the tenth?”

“No, the tenth was last week.” I clarify. “This is a new week. Where the hell is your head, man?”

“At the bottom of a pit when she rips it off.” He mumbles, holding his head between his hands. “I don’t even know how to fix this. I doubt she’ll talk to me now.”

I spark up a cigarette, taking a deep drag. “You are in some deep, deep shit my friend.”

“State the fucking obvious why don’t you?” He retorts, frowning. “I need help, not a bigger hole to throw myself into. What should I do?”

“I don’t know. Make it up to her.” I tell him, blowing out the smoke. “Tell her how sorry you are and then do something meaningful. Like orchestrating a romantic dinner or something, but you have to do it on your own. If you don’t, or you take her to some expensive, luxurious place, not only will you be insulting her morals as a woman, but it’ll come off as if you’re trying to make things easy for yourself. And trust me, that’s the last thing you want to make her think you’re doing.”

Micheal nods, absorbing my advice. “Is that what you did when you forgot about your anniversary? You know, back when you and Liz were dating?”

I shake my head, taking another drag of the smoke. “I never forgot an anniversary.”

His expression turns skeptical, the corners of his mouth twitching upward. “Come on Max, this is me you’re talking to. As you can see, Liz is no where in sight. Just fess up.”

“There’s nothing to fess up to.” I reply, stubbing my cigarette out in the ashtray. “I’m telling you the truth. I never forgot an anniversary. In fact, I remembered every significant day we ever had during the course of our relationship.”

Micheal stares at me, an eyebrow raised. “Never?”

“Never.”

A brief silence ensues. “Okay, tell me again why you guys broke up?”

I crack a small smile, scratching my stubble. “I think that’s common knowledge by now.”

He shrugs candidly. “Yeah, we all know you were a dick.”

“You’re the one that forgot your own anniversary.” I retort smugly. “Who’s the dick now?”

Micheal rolls his eyes, giving me the finger. “Funny. Just be grateful that you and Liz are on the same foot these days. I’ll be lucky if I even get that much.”

The same foot - it’s much more than that. It’s like a second chance. Another opportunity for me to make things right between us. I haven’t felt this hopeful in a long time.

After that talk we had nearly a month ago, things have been going much smoother than I ever anticipated. We talk about everything, from my job, to Nicole, about Thanksgiving coming up, and even the classes she registered for at the University of Las Cruces. There doesn’t seem to be anything we don’t discuss or tell each other about anymore.

About two weeks ago, we sat down with Nicole and answered all her questions about our relationship and what happened. We tried to be as honest as possible, but still we were aware that she’s a child and the last thing we’d want to do is confuse her. Needless to say, we greatly underestimated her capabilities. Nicole is the most matured seven year old I know.

“Judging by the sappy expression on your face, I’m guessing things are going pretty well between you and Liz.” Micheal comments, standing up from the sofa as he makes his way into the kitchen.

“They are.” I admit, unable to hide the contentment in my tone. “It damn sure is.”

He returns to the living room, in tow with two beers, a bag of chips and a salsa dip. He throws a beer my way. “I can’t say I’m surprised. I knew you two were going to work things out eventually.”

“We are, but it’s not romantic. It’s strictly platonic. You know, we’re rebuilding our friendship, our foundation.” I explain, peeling back the opener of the can until it pops off. “And we’re taking it slow. One day at a time.”

Micheal nods, dipping a chip into the salsa. “That’s good. It‘s good, right?”

“Absolutely.” I say in agreement, sitting back. “It’s better than good. It’s - it’s…”

“Great?” He supplies, an eyebrow arched.

“That too.” I nod, sipping my beer. “It’s good and it’s great. Great and good. What more can I ask for?”

Micheal chews slowly, giving me a weird look. “Nothing I guess.”

“Exactly.” I exclaim, smiling widely. “I’m fucking happy. I’m satisfied with my life and everything in it.”

“Okay.”

“I’m - I’m…” I trail off, my enthusiasm dissipating. “Who the fuck am I kidding? I want it all. I want every single thing she has to offer.”

“I assume we’re still talking about Liz?” Micheal queries.

“Of course.” I answer him, raking a hand through my hair. “Who else would I be talking about? Who else drives me crazy with want and things another woman never managed to instill within me?”

“Okay, I get it. You want a relationship.” He interrupts. “What are you doing about it?”

“What can I do about it?” I counter, resting my elbows on my knees. “I can’t force this on her. I won’t pressure her into being with me. It has to be something she wants just as much as I do.”

As great as things are progressing between us, this unromantic agreement is slowly killing me. I promised myself and more importantly I promised her that I wouldn’t rush anything, but the more time we spend together, the harder I fall more and helplessly in love with her. Some days we’d hang out alone and I’d want nothing more than to grab her and kiss her senseless, but I just know that would screw everything up again. And that’s something I just can’t afford. Not this time, not ever.

“Then talk to her about it.” Micheal suggests. “I mean, isn’t that what this whole thing is about? Keeping the lines of communication open? What if she feels the same way but you’re both too chicken to bring the matter up?”

I sip my beer, pondering his argument. “I don’t know, man. Even though we haven’t really discussed it, we weren’t supposed to have any expectations. I mean, I’m sure she knows I would, given what I’ve already divulged over the past few months, but I don’t think she’d be particularly pleased to know how distinctive mine actually are. I don’t want to overwhelm her.”

Micheal rolls his eyes. “You know, for someone that thrives on being in control, you sure do let an ass load of opportunities slip right through your fingers before you realize how good you had it. It’s like this thing you do. And unfortunately, I don’t think you’re even aware of it.”

“I’m aware of it.” I say defensively, frowning. “I think.”

“My point exactly.”

I sit back, deciphering my thoughts. “I don’t think we’re ever aware of our flaws until they manage to get us into something life-altering, something monumental. Then what would be the purpose of cause and effect? What would we experience and learn from if we didn’t make mistakes and fuck up every once in a while?”

Micheal nods his agreement. “So you’re saying we’re idiots by nature?”

“Sort of.” I reply, chuckling in mirth. “I mean, I’m almost positive that animals hardly ever screw up as much as we humans do.”

“True.” He laughs, his eyes tearing up. “We’re like this jacked up race of buffoons. Our stupidity growing along with the years.”

We chuckle heartily, our laughter echoing loudly. “No wonder we need rules and guidance and the bill of rights. We’d be lost without it.”

“Like a fucking rat in a maze.”

We laugh harder then, our sides starting to ache. The sharp ringing of Micheal’s cell phone penetrates our senses, effectively ending our joking.

“It’s Maria.” He whispers, staring at the phone as it continues to ring.

I arch an eyebrow. “Are you going to answer it?”

“Hell yeah.” He quickly replies, flipping it open. “I’m not that stupid.”

You ever had one of those days when everything just seemed to take on a whole new meaning? When the beauty of the outside world and all the insignificant things in it just managed to suddenly become of some importance to you?

That’s how I’ve felt all day, until my eyes settled on the most precious thing, person, that outweigh every lovely aspect this world has to offer.

Liz has always been beautiful to me, but now I’m actually able to appreciate it and see her for what she really is. A wonderful human being that I stupidly gave up. This incredible woman that I’ll do anything to have again.

I’m absolutely captivated. Intoxicated. Enthralled.

By her eyes…her smile…the faint trail of freckles along her collar bone…the scar above her right eyebrow…the…

“Max…Max…hello?”

I blink rapidly with the snapping of Liz’s fingertips in front of my face, startling me out of my day dream.

“What’s the matter with you today?” Liz queries, her eyes narrowed in concern. “That’s the third time you spaced out on me since I started talking. Am I boring you?”

I rub my eyes, stifling a yawn. “No, of course not. You could never bore me.”

Her features soften as she peers at me closely. “Then what’s wrong?”

I shake my head, rubbing the back of my neck. “I’m just sleepy, that’s all. When I was taking a nap earlier, Micheal busted in, ranting and raving about Maria. I hadn’t fell back to sleep since.”

Liz rubs my arm sympathetically, her touch igniting a flare of longing within my loins.

“Why are you sleeping so much?” She asks, arching an eyebrow. “You’re not pregnant, are you?”

I smile as she giggles at my expense, her laughter tinting her cheeks with an adorable flush.

“Very funny. But with the long hours at work and trying to keep up my energy level with having to entertain you and Nicole all the time, it’s no wonder I’m always tired.”

“Oh please!” Liz exclaims, rolling her eyes in amusement. “I’m barely a hassle. Nicole is the restless one, and well enough, she is a child…your child. I believe it is your duty to keep her entertained. Besides, who’d want a boring father?”

“My father was boring.” I tell her, eliciting a chuckle from her. “And look how I turned out?”

“Yeah, you’re a real firecracker.”

I stare at her, pretending to look wounded. “You know, I don’t think I appreciate your humor this afternoon. It’s very offending.”

“Max, I threw up on you on our second date back in high school and you weren’t offended.” She teases, grinning. “I’m surprised you even called me that night to ask me out again.”

“Because, puking on me aside, you were too damn cute to resist.”

Liz blushes, her eyes skittering away from mine momentarily. I find it so endearing that she could still get embarrassed about something that happened over eight years ago.

I lick my lips, needing to change the subject before I say something she isn't ready to hear. “So, what time is this class trip over? Is the bus dropping her off at home or do we have to go for her at the school?”

“The bus is dropping her off at home, we just have to be there.” Liz explains, pushing a lock of her hair behind her ear. “You should’ve seen her this morning. She was so excited that she was finally going to the museum in Albuquerque. It’s all she’s been talking about for the whole week.”

“I know.” I smile, finishing off the rest of my lunch. “She left a message on my phone, just talking non stop and shrieking about it. It was so cute that I just had to save it in my voice mail box.”

Liz grins, crossing her legs as she sits back in her seat, sipping her drink. Her hair is loose and flowing lightly with the breeze. She’s wearing a royal, ankle length summer skirt with a white blouse and matching slippers. I’ve never seen anything more beautiful.

God, I need to stop staring at her.

I can’t stop staring at her.

I think I’m in a trance.

“My parents invited us over tomorrow night.” She speaks, breaking the peaceful quiet.

I scratch my chin, sitting up straighter. “Really?”

“Yeah.” She nods, shrugging nervously. “Even though I haven’t seen them in a while, I kind of kept them up to date on my life, our life and what‘s been happening, not in lurid detail or anything like that. Anyway, they really want to see Nicole and I just figured that it would be decent, a better time, if you came along and just stayed with us, you know, like um…like a-”

“Family.” I finish, holding her gaze.

Liz licks her lips, running a hand through her hair. “Max, it’s not what you think.”

“How do you know what I’m thinking?” I whisper.

“I’m not using you.” She says frantically, seeming desperate to reassure me. “I’m not asking you to come to pretend like we’re something more when we’re not. I’m asking you to be there because I really want your company.”

I stare at her, taking in the sincerity of her words. I know she’s genuine. It’s all in her eyes.

“I’ll be there.”

TBC…
Jason's Lover
Addicted Roswellian

Part 15

Post by Jason's Lover »

Sorry for the incredibly long delay. :oops: For those that bumped this story and PM'ed me, I appreciate it. You guys are my motivation.

Chapter Fifteen ~ Liz

“How’s the salmon?”

Max looked up at my mother’s question, chewing slowly. “It’s great. Very delicious.”

Mom smiles appreciatively. Glancing at Nicole in the seat beside her, she adjusts her napkin in her lap. I roll my eyes with the action. That’s the third time she’s done that since we started eating. I understand the antics of grandmothers, but she’s seven years old for heaven’s sake!

“I’m stuffed.” Dad groans, patting his stomach. “I have absolutely no room for that apple pie, Nancy.”

“Oh please.” Mom teases. “I’ve learned to stop listening to you decline desert when I find half of the pie gone in the morning.”

I smile, nodding in agreement. “She’s got a point, daddy.”

Dad shrugs sheepishly. “It’s a midnight snack.”

“I don’t want these.” Nicole grimaces, pointing at the carrots with her fork. “They’re nasty.”

“Nicole, that wasn’t a nice thing to say.” Max says softly, reprimanding her.

“But I don’t like them.” She complains.

I sigh. “Nicole -”

“It’s okay.” Mom intervenes, removing the carrots from her plate. “She doesn’t have to eat them if she doesn’t want to.”

I open my mouth to protest when Max squeezes my thigh gently, shaking his head discreetly. I relent reluctantly.

“So, Max, how’s the job?” Dad asks, leaning back in his chair. “I hear they’re constructing some new corporate building near the library. Your team working on that?”

“No, ah, that’s not associated with me.” He responds wryly, sipping his drink. “I wish I was working on that. The salary is incredible. I wouldn’t have to work for the remainder of the year.”

Dad chuckles heartily. “Wouldn’t that be something. But it’s a dangerous profession, you know. It’s not all billboards and two story facilities. These guys work from sun up to sun down, just stuck up in the air for god knows how long. It’s extreme labor.”

Max smiles, rubbing his forefinger against his bottom lip. “I guess it’s a good thing I have insurance. I wouldn’t want to lose my balance and slip.” He jokes. “I hear it’s a long way down.”

“That’s not even funny.” I retort, slapping his arm lightly as he and Dad laugh in earnest. “You shouldn’t joke about things like that. Or jinx yourself for that matter.”

“I wasn’t serious. It was just a little man to man humor.” He says teasingly, engulfing my hand within his. I don’t pull away.

“What does jinx mean?” Nicole queries, her gaze bouncing back and forth between Max and I.

“It’s just a term, sweetie.” I explain. “It’s like saying or joking around about something bad happening to you or someone else when you really shouldn‘t.”

She tilts her head to the side, seemingly pensive. “Like wishing for something bad?”

I nod, shrugging casually. “That’s a good way of putting it.”

“So, if I say that I wish all the vegetables in the world would disappear, it could happen?” She asks excitedly.

Max grins at her hopeful expression. “Nice one, princess, but I don’t think all the magic in the world could make that happen.”

Nicole slumps in her chair with his answer. “Oh well, I tried. I guess it don’t work on good things.” I stifle a giggle.

Louis, my parents’ puppy comes strolling in the dining room, his stance demanding our attention. Nicole gives hers undividedly. “He came looking for me.” She squeals, her eyes lighting up in glee. “Can I go take him out in the yard?”

“Go ahead, sweetheart.” Mom tells her before I could even blink. I arch an eyebrow in bewilderment. What is up with her?

“I should start clearing up these dishes.” She announces, standing up from her seat. Offering to help, she refuses my assistance, instructing me to sit and relax. Dad ignores her protesting, following her in the kitchen with an arm full of dishes.

I turn to Max, utterly agitated. “What is her problem?”

His eyebrows furrow in confusion. “Who’s problem?”

“My mother.” I hiss, shoving a lock of hair behind my ears. “Do you not see how she’s behaving?”

“I’ve noticed the constant hovering and fussing around Nicole, but don’t all grandmother’s do that?” He queries.

“It’s more than just the hovering and the fussing.” I explain. “And I don’t mind that, I mean, she hasn’t seen her in a long time so it’s understandable.”

Max narrows his eyes in concern. “So what is it that’s bothering you?”

“She’s taking over.” I complain. “We’ve been here for at least three hours now and every single time Nicole’s asked or wanted something, she’s made it her objective to undermine everything I’ve said or just ignore me all together. It’s been driving me crazy.”

“Liz -”

“Not to mention that she’s barely said a word to you all night except to ask about how the dinner tasted.” I interject pointedly. “I should talk to her about it, right?”

“Talk to her about what exactly?” Max replies, looking uncertain. “She’s your mother, Liz. You can’t just go in there and accuse her of something she’ll just deny anyway. It’s unwanted tension. Just keep your cool.” He advises. “We’ll be out of here soon anyway.”

I sigh in resignation. “How soon?”

Max glances at his watch. “About another half hour. Nicole has school in the morning. And we have to trek all the way back into Roswell too.”

I nod, pushing out my chair. “I’m going to get another soda. You want one?”

Max favors me with a speculative stare, his gaze suspicious. “Are you going back there to make trouble?”

I roll my eyes, planting my hands on my hips. “I swear I just want a soda.”

“Alright.” I stick my tongue out at him, giggling when he throws a piece of ice at me.

Upon my descent to the kitchen, Dad waltzes out, a frown marring his face. He’s visibly upset.

“What’s wrong?” I ask in alarm. “Did something happen?”

“It’s nothing, sweetie.” He denies, trying his best to conceal his aggravation.

I arch an eyebrow in skepticism. “Are you sure?”

“I’m sure.” Dad nods, patting my cheek tenderly. “I’ll go look for Max. I wanted to show him these new cigars I bought.”

“Okay.” I smile tentatively, continuing into the kitchen. I find Mom at the counter, her back turned to me as she prepares desert. Retrieving a soda from the refrigerator, I get a glass from the cupboard, contemplating what to say to her.

“What’s up with Dad?” I opt to ask, popping open the lid. “He seemed really upset a few minutes ago.”

“I wouldn’t know.” She answers evasively. “Why didn’t you ask him?”

“I did. He said nothing was wrong.” I shrug, sipping my soda. “But I don’t believe him. I figured you’d know why.”

“Me? Why would I have any idea?”

“Maybe because you’re his wife.” I respond exasperatingly. “Or it could be that he was just in here with you before he came storming out acting all weird. God, it’s like pulling teeth just to get an answer out of you.”

Mom pauses in her task, spinning around to look at me. “You quit your job, Liz?”

“How do you know about that?” I ask, my eyes narrowing to slits.

“I ran into Mr. Hines’ wife day before yesterday at the mall.” She explains. “Leila mentioned you handing in your notice two months ago, assuming that I knew about it, which I didn’t.”

“Mom -”

“I’m just trying to understand why you’d give up a well paying job. The one that I put in a good word for you to get.”

“That job was working me to an early grave.” I explain. “I was stressed out every single day. I couldn’t deal with it any longer.”

“So quitting was your solution?” She queries incredulously. “That’s the alternative?”

My eyebrows furrow in annoyance. “It was my alternative. You have no idea what I was going through. I did what I thought was best.”

“And who’s providing for you?” Mom exclaims pointedly. “Where’s the steady income going to come from now? What about your bills and your child? Have you even thought about that?”

“My income and my bills are my responsibility.” I respond defensively. “Nicole and I have always been and will continue to be taken cared of. I can’t believe you’re standing here giving me a lecture about my own decisions. I’m not a child.”

“You’re certainly thinking like one.” She retorts. “Does Max even know about this? Does he agree with it?”

“Agree with it?” I yell, my face flushing in anger. “I don’t need anyone’s permission to do what I want with my life! You want to know what Max does? He supports me a hundred percent. He’s there for me whenever I need him!”

“Liz, relying on a man isn’t a guarantee. You have to be able to stand on your own two feet. These med classes you’re taking are wasting your time. You can‘t afford to be out of a job for this long. You don’t earn a degree overnight.”

“I didn’t ask for your opinion.” I hiss, slamming the soda down on the counter. “I could care less about what you think or want to believe. I‘ll get by the best way that I can.”

“You shouldn’t have to just get by.” Mom replies, her voice softening. “I want better for you. I always have.”

I reign in my temper, tears threatening to erupt. “Thanks for your vote of confidence.”

Storming out of the kitchen, I bump into Max, his hands reaching out to grip my shoulders.

“I heard you yelling all the way in the living room.” He murmurs, his face etched in concern. “What happened?”

“I just want to leave.” I whisper, not meeting his gaze. “I want to go home.”

Max stared at me with a worried frown creasing his eyebrows. “Okay, we’ll go. I’ll get Nicole and then we can leave.”

I nod in response. “I’ll be in the car.”

Twenty minutes later and we’re out on the road, Nicole asleep in the back seat as we head back to Roswell. I glance at Max beside me, silently grateful that he isn’t insisting I tell him about what happened. He knows I’ll talk when I’m ready.

“You okay?” He asked suddenly, his voice soft and gentle in the silence.

“I think so.” I murmur, running a hand through my hair. “What were you and my Dad talking about on the porch before we left?”

Max shrugged, his eyes focused on the road. “He wanted to apologize. I guess he knew the reason for what transpired between you and your Mom. I got the feeling that he was a bit upset with her though. He’s worried about you.”

We sat in silence for a few minutes before I spoke again. “She’s disappointed in me.”

He remained quiet, waiting for me to continue. “She said I’m wasting my time. That I don’t know what’s best for me and Nicole.”

Max snorts in disbelief, shaking his head in protest. “You can’t think that’s true. You can’t believe that.”

“Why not?” I murmur self-deprecatingly. “What if she’s right? What if this is just one big mistake?”

“Liz, you can’t let your mother deter you from what you want to do. Her opinions aren‘t what‘s important.”

“Max, I quit my job. I gave up a good salary to take med classes at a University.” I spit out, a dry laugh bubbling forth. “What was I thinking? What parent does that?”

“The kind that’s willing to take a chance for what they want.” He retorts, cutting off the engine as he pulls up in front of my house. “Liz, that job wasn’t for you. Regardless of how well it paid, your heart wasn’t in it and you know that just as much as I do. You have every right to do whatever it is that makes you happy. Quitting jobs and enrolling in classes included. It’s no one else’s decision to make but your own.”

Max lifts my chin when I lowered my eyes. “Don’t beat yourself up over this. You haven’t done anything wrong. You’ve got nothing to feel bad about.”

“I just got so angry.” I admit to him, closing my eyes momentarily. “She made me doubt myself. I felt so ashamed. Listening to her talk, it was like I was eighteen again being reprimanded for telling her I was pregnant with your child.”

Max looks ahead, seemingly caught up in the memory. “I remember that night. You called me in tears.”

“And you talked to me. Calmed me down. I fell asleep to your voice soothing me. Telling me that everything was going to work out and that I didn’t have to worry.”

He turned to look at me, his gaze honest and sincere. “That’s still true. You’re going to be fine. The both of you. I’ll make sure of it.”

“I can’t keep depending on you.” I murmur stubbornly. “You have a life of your own. It’s not fair to you.”

Max cups my cheek tenderly, his face mere inches away from mine. “You and Nicole are my life. Taking care of you both isn’t a hindrance for me. It’s more than just an obligation. I need you to understand that.”

Holding his gaze, I lean into his palm, relishing in the warmth of his touch. I can feel the heat of his stare as his eyes flicker back and forth between my mouth and my eyes.

“Max…” I whisper, closing in the distance.

He follows suit, our breaths mingling as he leans forward. “Yeah?”

Not even bothering to answer him, I capture his lips in a slow nibbling kiss, secretly thrilled when I feel him responding almost instantaneously. I can’t dispel the rightness of this moment. Of having him so close or the complete rapture that’s taken over the second our mouths touched. It’s electrifying.

Max takes control of the kiss, his lips slanting over mine in a passionate sensuous dance. Tangling my fingers in the hair at the nape of his neck, I open my mouth wider under his assault, wanting nothing more than for him to devour me in the worst way.

I forgot how breath-stealing his kisses were. How wanton and insatiable they made me. An undeniable ache of desire settles in the pit of my stomach the minute his tongue tangles with mine. I need more.

It’s that same thought that has me pulling away seconds later, panting and gasping for air.

Max opens his eyes to peer at me, the hungry look in his gaze arousing. He’s literally irresistible.

“I’m sorry.” I whisper, my lips tingling and swollen in the aftermath.

“Why are you apologizing?” He queries huskily.

“I shouldn’t have done that.”

“Done what?”

I swallow convulsively. “Kiss you.”

He arches an eyebrow inquiringly. “Why not?”

“I-I don’t know.” I answer lamely, averting my gaze.

Max sighs, leaning back in his seat. “Okay.”

I face forward, opting to stay quiet. I don’t trust myself to speak at this point. I’m still in a daze.

He gets out of the car, retrieving Nicole from the back seat. Lifting her gently into his arms, he walks across my lawn, waiting for me at the door.

I snap into action, hurriedly making my way over to him and opening the front door. I trail behind him wordlessly as he puts Nicole to bed, handing him her pajamas.

The moment he’s done he looks up at me, our gazes colliding in a sizzling stare. He stands up from the bed. I fidget nervously with the prominent silence between us.

“Just promise me that things won’t be awkward.” I blurt out unceremoniously. “I couldn’t bare it if it did.”

Max nods, his lips twitching upwards in some semblance of a smile. “I promise.”

TBC…
Last edited by Jason's Lover on Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jason's Lover
Addicted Roswellian

Part 16

Post by Jason's Lover »

Chapter Sixteen ~ Max

A week went by after that infamous kiss. Liz hasn’t brought it up or even mentioned it. It’s like it never happened. I promised her things wouldn’t get awkward between us, so I refrain from inquiring about it or what it could mean. If I’m honest with myself, I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it. I mean, she kissed me. Liz kissed me. All on her own volition. It was all her. So why is she so adamant on pretending that it doesn’t change anything between us? Why won’t she discuss it? Why doesn’t she see that the mere casualness of how she’s treating this is shattering any hopes I had for us into a billion pieces?

Sighing in frustration, I glance at Micheal beside me, his head lolled to the side as he dozes off on the sofa. Snatching the television remote from within his loose grasp, he jolts awake, cracking open an eye to peer at me.

“What are you doing?”

“What does it look like I’m doing?” I quip rhetorically, flipping through the channels.

Micheal sits upright, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. “I was watching that.”

“You fell asleep.”

“I was only resting my eyes.”

“Can you even remember what you were supposedly watching?” I ask pointedly.

He yawns, shrugging nonchalantly. “Not really.”

I roll my eyes. “Go back to sleep.”

“I’m already awake.” Micheal groans, stretching his limbs. “I’m bored.”

“How are you bored?” I exclaim incredulously. “You were just snoring away on my damn sofa.”

“Why do you think I fell asleep in the first place?” He retorts. “Your crib sucks. There’s nothing to do here. No entertainment. No porn. And the couches are too comfortable. It’s literally an invitation to conk out.”

I give him the finger. “You know what I just realized?”

“What?”

Switching off the television, I turn to face him. “That whenever I have some downtime or a day off from work, you’re the person I usually spend it with until I see Nicole and Liz later on in the afternoon. What‘s that about?”

Micheal shrugs. “We’re guys. Guys hang out with other guys. It’s normal.” He arches an eyebrow inquiringly. “Is that a problem?”

“Not a problem per se.” I respond. “It’s just an observation.”

“What else would you rather be doing?” He teases good-naturedly. “Sucking face with Liz?”

I avert my gaze, falling into a discreet silence. Little did he know.

“No fucking way!” Micheal cries in surprise, sitting up straighter in the sofa. “You and Liz sucked face? You’re back together?”

“No, we‘re not back together.” I divulge, scratching my chin. “We only kissed. It doesn’t mean anything.”

“The hell it doesn’t.” He retorts, leaning forward. “You guys make out and you‘re downplaying it? Why aren’t you jumping for joy?”

I stood up from the sofa, grabbing my keys from the counter. “I’ll explain on the court. Let’s shoot some hoops.”

Micheal frowns at the suggestion. “Basketball? This early? You’ve got to be kidding me.”

“That’s the best time to play.” I goad, retrieving the ball from my closet. “Come on. I thought you said you were bored?”

He agreed reluctantly. “Alright. But only on one condition. It’s a thirty point game and the loser has to buy lunch.”

“Fine with me.”

Micheal stands from the couch, unzipping his pants. “I need to take a piss before we leave.”

“I’ll be outside. And don’t forget to flush the toilet.” I holler to his retreating form. “Your urine is not the first thing I enjoy seeing when I need to go.”

“Fuck off.”

“It’s my serve.”

Micheal lifts an eyebrow in confusion. “How is it your serve? You just made a basket.”

“You fouled me when I went for the lay up.” I explain, stripping off my t-shirt. “I get a free throw.”

“Max, it’s eleven o’clock in the morning and we’re in the park playing a quick game because we don’t have anything better to do.” He retorts. “I don’t think this particular game calls for conventional methods.”

“Conventional or not, a game is a game.” I insist. “I don’t know about you, but I like to play fairly.”

Micheal snorts, rolling his eyes as he tosses me the ball. “Doesn’t matter. I’m whipping your ass anyway.”

Having made my shot, I effectively retrieve the ball, dribbling as I cut around Micheal’s larger frame. Hitting a three despite his defensive block, I turn to him with a boastful grin. “It’s funny how the tables turn, isn’t it?”

“Whatever.” He grumbles, snatching the ball from my grip. “I score in other aspects of life. Ask Maria.”

Chuckling, I take defense as he dribbles. “I’m guessing you took my advice.”

Micheal nods. “Took it and ran with it. That night ended with a bang. Literally.”

“I bet. What did you do?”

“Tried out a couple new positions.” He answered, shrugging. “And let me tell you, that sixty nine is a real -”

“Not in the bedroom you sick freak.” I interrupt with a grimace. “I meant what you did to make up for forgetting your anniversary.”

“Oh.” He murmurs unaffectedly. “I prepared a dinner for her. I cooked her favorite dishes. Bought some wine. Lit some candles. I even had the place smelling like that incense crap she likes.”

“So you pulled out all the stops?”

“I had to.” Micheal says emphatically. “My ass was on the line. Had I not done that, I might not have been standing before you today.”

My lips twitch upward in amusement. “She’s not that bad.”

“I beg to differ.” He retorts, panting as the ball drops to the floor. “I’m taking a break.”

Heading over to the benches, I sit beside him, trying to catch my breath. “You complain to the ends of the earth about Maria and how much she nags you, but deep down you know you love it. In some infinitely twisted way, that’s what you guys do. You argue and you make up and it’s okay because it’s your thing and no one else needs to understand it but the two of you. It’s your normal.”

Micheal stares ahead, his head tilted to the side. “I guess so. But not in so many words.” He smirks, glancing at me. “You’re too sappy for me, Maxwell. I don’t know if it’s a gift or a curse.”

“Must be a curse.” I surmise. “All the sappiness you can muster doesn’t seem to bring the one thing you want most in the world any closer. It only pushes it farther away.”

Micheal remains quiet, a brief silence ensuing before he speaks. “So, you kissed Liz?”

“No. She kissed me.”

“Really?” He asks in surprise. I nod in response. “And?”

“And, it was great.” I respond, the memory still fresh in my mind. “I mean, it was better than great. The passion and the intensity was all still there. We never lost it.”

“But…”

“But, she apologized after it was over.” I tell him glumly. “I guess it was only a spur of the moment kind of thing.”

“Well what did you say?”

“What could I say?” I shrug, leaning back. “I can’t stop her from apologizing. Yeah, it sucks that she saw a need to but there’s nothing I could do about it.”

“Yes, there is.” He retorts. “It’s what I’ve been telling you this whole time. Talk to her. Tell her what you just told me.”

“I can’t.” I protest. “Liz hasn’t mentioned anything about that night and I don’t ask either.”

Micheal arches an eyebrow in bewilderment. “Why not?”

“After the whole thing simmered down and died, she was worried that it would get awkward between us.” I explain. “I promised her that it wouldn’t.”

Micheal snorts in disbelief, turning to face me. “And you’re not angry?”

“Angry?”

“Yeah.” He nods. “She kisses you, apologizes for it and then has you promising that things wouldn’t get weird over something she initiated. That’s a piece of work.”

I narrow my eyes in confusion. “What do you mean?”

“She’s playing you like a violin.” Micheal says bluntly. “It may not be intentional, but she’s doing it.”

I shake my head in denial. “Liz isn’t like that. She wouldn’t do that to me.”

“Liz has you right where she wants you.” He insists. “That kiss wasn’t in the spur of the moment. It happened because she wanted it to. She apologized because she’s not ready to deal with the consequences of it. So what better way to avoid it than having you refrain from talking about it at all. That’s all fine and dandy if you two were in the same boat, but you’re not. You want to talk about it. You want to know what it meant.”

“Micheal, I can’t demand an explanation.” I say quietly. “I’m the one that’s trying to make things right. I’m the one that screwed up.”

“Which she already forgave you for.” He reminds me pointedly. “That’s in the past. That shouldn’t even matter.”

“It matters to me.”

“And that’s the problem. You can’t forgive yourself. It‘s time that you did.”

I sigh in defeat, glaring at him in defiance. “Why am I listening to you anyway? You forget your anniversaries and pick arguments.”

Micheal smiles triumphantly. “You can’t quite dispel my accuracy, can you? Besides that, it’s a favor. You give me advice all the time. I’m reciprocating the gesture.”

“You couldn’t just buy me a rolex?” I joke, a laugh bubbling forth. “You’re putting me to shame.”

“And where would the fun be in that?” He grins, standing from the bench. “Come on, lets get some lunch. I’m buying.”

After lunch, Micheal and I went our separate ways, making plans to hook up later. I came back home to take a quick shower and change before heading over to Liz’s house. I spent the entire drive obsessing over what Micheal and I discussed. I can’t deny that he made some valid points, but my own issues aren’t what’s important here.

Regardless of how frustrating it is, I have to respect Liz’s choices and what she wants. I refuse to force my own needs on her. Most importantly, I have to be patient. After all, I’d have her had I not made the foolish mistakes I did in the past. This time is all about correcting that. I’d be damned if I fuck up a second time.

Parking the rover in her garage, I walk in through the backyard, drawn to the childish laughter and loud shrieking. I spot Nicole chasing a boy with a water hose, their clothes soaked and sticking to their skin.

“Hey!” I exclaim, whistling to get her attention. Nicole looks over at me, her eyes as large as saucers. “What’s going on?”

“We’re just playing.” She answered innocently, holding the hose behind her back.

“With a water hose?” I question, walking over to her. “You’re dripping wet.”

Nicole grins, wet tendrils of her hair sticking to her cheek. “That’s the whole point of the game. Whoever’s the wettest loses the chase.”

“Your mother know about this little game?” I inquire, stooping down to her level. I incline my head over to the little boy standing behind her. “Who’s your friend?”

“Oh, that’s Mattie.” Nicole smiles, looking back at him momentarily. “He lives next door. Mommy said we can play in the backyard while she gets ready for school.”

“Ah, I see.” Kissing her wet cheek soundly, I stand to my feet. “I guess you can change your clothes later. Let me go see what mommy’s up to, alright?”

“Okay Daddy.” Running back to her friend, they resume their game amid much squealing and giggling.

Making my way into the house, I find Liz in the kitchen, hovered over the stove stirring something in a pot.

“What are you making?”

She turns at the sound of my voice, her hair whipping around her face with the sudden movement. “Spaghetti.”

I lean against the counter, inhaling the aroma. “It smells good.”

Liz smiles her thanks, lowering the fire before stripping off her apron. “I’m so glad you’re here.”

“You are?” I ask in pleasant surprise. “Why’s that?”

She looks up at me with a pleading look. “I need a huge favor.”

“Name it.”

“I need a babysitter. I have class in an hour and Maria was supposed to be here to watch them for me, but she had something else to do. I was going to call you next, but I didn’t want to bother you.”

I smile. “It‘s not a bother. I’ll do it.”

Her eyes sparkle in gratitude. “Thank you, thank you, thank you.” Liz exclaims happily, kissing my cheek. “You’re a god send.”

“You’re welcome. I just want some of that spaghetti.”

“Of course.” She grins, slipping on her sandals. “Nicole and Matthew are in the backyard soaking each other from head to toe. I know, bad idea, but it’s hot outside. His mom wants him home before eight. So after they eat just send him next door.”

I nod. “Got it. Anything else?”

Liz throws her backpack across her shoulder, shaking her head. “I think that’s it. Okay, I’ll see you later.”

“Later.” As she reaches for her keys near the door post, it’s then that I notice her out fit, or lack there of it. She’s wearing a light blue belly baring tank top and a mini jeans skirt. I narrow my eyes at the expanse of skin showing.

“That’s what you’re wearing?” I inquire, my voice halting her retreat out the door.

Liz looks down at her attire in confusion before meeting my gaze. “Yeah. Why?”

I cross my arms over my chest. “Nothing. I was just wondering where’s the rest of it.”

She frowns, her expression looking bewildered. “What do you mean? This is all there is to it.”

“I can see that.” I retort, eyeing her up and down. “Don’t you think you should cover up just a bit?”

“Max, it’s ninety degrees outside.” Liz says pointedly. “I cover up and I’ll more than likely faint when I get out there.”

“Forget it.” I sigh in resignation. “Wear what you want.”

I walk over to the refrigerator, grumbling the whole way.

“You’re mad?” She asks incredulously.

“No, I’m not.”

“You are.” Liz insists, shutting in the front door. “You only grumble under your breath like that when you’re annoyed.”

I lick my lips, not confirming or denying her claim.

“What’s wrong?” She queries. “You can’t be this peeved over my choice of clothing?”

“It’s not your clothes.” I reply, looking over at her. “Well, maybe a little. It’s just - it’s everything. You, me, us. This whole arrangement. I’m treading lightly and I have to say that it sucks.”

Her eyes narrow in concern. “What are you talking about?”

“The kiss, Liz.” I say quietly, watching her expression carefully. “The kiss we shared that you want to pretend never happened.”

Liz shakes her head, struggling for words. “I-I’m not pretending.”

“Then why won’t you talk about it?” I ask insistently. “Why haven’t you mentioned it?”

“I don’t want things to be awkward between us. I told you that. You agreed.”

“It’s us, Liz.” I point out. “It could never get awkward. It hasn’t been in the past four years and it won’t be now.”

She stares at me in a stupor. “I don’t understand why you’re bringing this up. I thought we moved on.”

“No, you moved on. I’m stuck between your wishes and what I want more than next my breath. What I need to know is if it’s what you want as well.”

Liz averts her gaze, seemingly in thought. “I don’t know what you want me to say.”

“You do know.” I retort passionately. “God, it was you Liz. You kissed me. It was your decision.”

“I know it was!” She exclaims, her eyes darkening. “I wanted to kiss you!”

“Then why did you apologize?” I ask in exasperation, raking a frustrated hand through my hair. “Why did you pull away?”

“I can’t have this conversation right now.” She evades, heading to the door. “I have to go.”

I quickly stride beside her, blocking her exit. “Stop running from me. Stop hiding. You know that I love you. You know where I stand. The only one that’s undecided here is you.”

“It’s complicated.” She mutters miserably. “I can’t explain it better than that.”

“You can’t or you won’t?”

“Max -”

I cup her face in my hands, swooping down to take her lips in a demanding kiss. I attack her mouth hungrily, trying to convey the passion and desire she instills in my being without words. I break the kiss when air becomes a necessity.

Slowly pulling away, I relish in her expression. With her eyes still closed and her mouth slightly ajar, I’m tempted to resume the kiss and keep that same look on her face.

Dropping my hands to my side, I step back to give her some room, her eyes finally opening and settling on mine.

“That’s the difference between you and me.” I whisper, my words deliberate and purposeful. “I’m not going to apologize.”

TBC…
Last edited by Jason's Lover on Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jason's Lover
Addicted Roswellian

Part 17

Post by Jason's Lover »

Chapter Seventeen ~ Liz

Class is moving along at a snail’s pace. It feels like I’ve been sitting here for hours now. The heat only adding to my irritation. Tapping my pencil against my notebook, I glance at my watch again, only five minutes having gone by since the last time I checked. I sigh in boredom.

I should be paying attention to the professor, because after all, there’s supposed to be a quiz on this stuff next week, but all I can think about is Max and the last thing he said to me. The way he said it, with so much conviction and intent, I just know he meant every word. It’s the ramifications of that that poises a challenge.

I have to make a decision. Not tomorrow. Not next week. But right now. I’ve been putting this off for far too long. Purposely cowering from the truth and running at every chance I got. It’s been my tactic for a while now and obviously, Max knows it. He was just man enough to speak up about it.

It’s why I need to pull the plug and step up to the plate. Max has always been honest with me. Whether it was something worthwhile or a fact I simply didn’t want to hear, he’s never backed down from it. It’s something I’ve always admired about him, his willingness to tell you exactly what he was thinking. The least I could I do is reciprocate that same honesty. He deserves that much.

“You’re not paying attention.”

I glance at my classmate Vin beside me, blushing guiltily. “I just can’t seem to concentrate. I never realized how long this class is before.”

Vin smirks, sneaking a look at our professor before regarding me. “Somewhere else you’d rather be?”

I think of Max and Nicole waiting at home, these two people more important to me than life itself. “Yeah, actually, there is.”

A bell sounds off not more than a minute after, ending our session for the night. I almost squealed in relief.

Gathering up my things, I hurriedly make my way out of the classroom to the parking lot. Muttering a few goodnights to the staff and students, I get into my car and drive off. The anticipation fluttering in my stomach lingers even after I make it home.

Rolling my shoulders in an effort to calm myself, I take a deep breath and unlock the front door with my key. The house is dark except for one dim light coming from the kitchen. Kicking off my sandals near the door, I slowly make my way in there.

Upon my entrance, I find Max bent over at the sink, loading the silverware into the dishwasher. On the counter there’s a newspaper spread open and a half eaten piece of cheesecake. I can’t deny how perfect he looks in my kitchen. Like it’s where he belongs.

I muster up a soft greeting so as not to startle him. “Hey.”

Max looks up at me in surprise. “Hey. I didn’t even hear you come in. How was class?”

“Long and boring.” I sigh, stepping further into the kitchen. “I couldn’t wait to get out of there.”

“That’s how I felt each and every day in high school.”

I nod my head in agreement. “I know what you mean. Is Nicole asleep?”

He stands upright, drying his hands with a paper towel. “Yep. I had her stay up a little later than normal though. Apparently, nickelodeon runs a spongebob marathon every night at ten. I had no idea. I sent her up afterwards.”

I take a seat on the stool near the counter, brushing my hair behind my ears. “You don’t have to do that, you know.” I murmur, gesturing to the dishes he’s still loading. “I usually put it off until the morning.”

Max shakes his head in protest. “It’s okay. I dirtied them. The least I could do is make sure they’re clean.”

I crack a small smile in amusement. “I don’t remember you being this helpful in the past.”

“I don’t remember doing a lot of things in the past.” He answered, glancing at me with an expression akin to regret. “I guess a little change isn’t so bad.”

We stare at each other in a moment of relative silence before speaking at once.

“Max, I’m sorry.”

“Liz, I’m sorry.”

We both chuckle at our precarious timing. Max scratches his chin nervously before taking a hold of the stool beside me. “You go first.”

I nod, taking a deep fortifying breath. “You were right about before. When you said I was hiding. That’s exactly what I was doing and I didn’t realize how selfish that was until tonight.”

Max sits in utter silence, listening intently.

“I’m not hiding from you. If anything, I’m hiding from myself. From what I feel every time I look at you.”

“What do you feel?” He asked quietly.

“I feel safe. I feel protected in a way that defies reason. I feel like I’m invincible. And I just know that as long as you’re here, there’s nothing in the world that could harm me, because you wouldn’t let it.” I admit in a near whisper.

“Why are you so frightened to feel that way?”

I lower my gaze, not wanting to see the hurt in his eyes when I say it. “Because I felt that way before and you let me down. I depended on you. I relied on our relationship and what we meant to each other. When you backed out on me, it hurt, but more than that I felt betrayed. And that’s something I never thought I’d feel with you. It’s something I don’t ever want to feel again.”

Max closes his eyes momentarily before pinning me with a solemn stare. “I can’t express to you how sorry how I am that I put you through that. I wish I could erase it so it didn’t happen. I wish I could’ve been what you needed.”

“Now you are.” I tell him earnestly. “And I’m not just saying that because you cleaned up my kitchen.”

He grins at the unexpected joke before sobering up. “Liz, I love you. All I want is to make you happy. But I need your forgiveness.”

“And you have it.” I smile. “In all it’s gleeful glory. I just needed to stop saying I’m over it and actually be over it. No matter what I wanted to believe, there was a difference. And I’m so grateful you confronted me about it.”

Max suddenly stood from the stool, clasping my hands and pulling me up with him. Crushing me in a fierce hug, I smile happily against his ear, returning his embrace just as eagerly.

I release a shaky breath, tears threatening to shed. It’s such a relief to be in his arms like this, knowing that I finally have him the way I’ve wanted to for so long. It means everything.

“I love you.” I murmur softly in his ear, tightening my hold around his neck.

Max pulls back, framing my face between his hands. “You have no idea how good it feels to hear you say that.” He whispers, his eyes glazed over in unbridled contentment. “I feel like I’m dreaming.”

I smile at his confession, wrapping my arms loosely around his waist. “I don’t think either of our dreams would be nearly as refreshing as this moment.”

“You’re right.” He murmurs, his grin disappearing as he leans down to kiss me. Our mouths clash in a viciously passionate kiss. Clutching the fabric of his shirt in my fists, I pull him harder against me, tearing a deep groan from his throat.

I pull away when a nagging thought occurred to me. “Wait, Max, what were you sorry about?”

Max looks utterly flustered, blinking slowly as he tries to focus on my question. “Oh, um, I sort of burned the spaghetti.”

“You burned my spaghetti?” I gasp in horror. “Max…”

“I’m sorry.” He rushes to explain. “I forgot that it was still on the stove. And the game was on. San Antonio was winning.” He stops babbling at my incredulous expression. “I’m really sorry, baby. I should’ve paid more attention to what I was doing.”

“It’s okay.” I sigh in dismissal. “So, what did you guys eat?”

“I ordered in.”

My eyebrows rise in interest. “Chinese?”

Max smirks at my excited tone. “There’s a shrimp lo mien in the microwave with your name written all over it.”

“Perfect.” I smile, leaning up to peck his lips. “I’m starving.”

“I’ll heat it up for you before I leave.”

I grabbed his hand as he turned to move. “Max, can you stay and eat with me? We could watch a movie or talk some more if you want. Maybe even make out until we fall asleep.”

He smiles at my suggestions, squeezing my hand lightly. “Just being with you is enough for me. Of course I’ll stay.”

Twenty minutes later we’re laid out across the sofa watching a movie, my head resting on his chest as he strokes my back in soft circles. The empty Chinese container is blocking my view of the television, but I wasn’t exactly paying attention to the movie in the first place. I’m too relaxed to care.

I run a lazy hand up his chest. “I haven’t felt this peaceful in a long time. I could almost fall asleep right here on top of you.”

Max runs his other hand through my hair, his chest rumbling beneath me. “I have no complaints.”

“Hmmm, I bet you don’t.” I yawn tiredly, the steady beating of his heart lulling me to sleep. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” I conk out not very long after that.

I wake up the next morning to a barrage of childish laughter. Lifting my head from Max’s chest, I glance at Nicole in the couch across from us. With a bowl of cereal in her lap and her eyes fixated on the cartoon that’s on, she’s not even aware that I’m watching her.

“Morning sweetie.” I say groggily, sitting upright. Max is still asleep, snoring lightly.

Nicole turned her head to regard me. “Morning Mommy. I didn’t even know you were up.”

“How could you.” I smile. “Those cartoons have your undivided attention.”

“It’s spongebob.” Nicole explains absently, her eyes drifting back to the television. “I love this one.”

“I know you do baby. You want some breakfast?”

“Yes, please.”

I sweep my hair up into a loose bun. “Alright, just let me wash my face and brush my teeth. I’ll be right back.”

“Wait, Mommy, are you and Daddy back together?” Nicole inquires innocently, her eyes hopeful.

My heart aches at how much this must mean to her. “Daddy and I are back together.” I confirm with a nod. “Does that make you happy?”

Nicole places her bowl on the coffee table before lunging into my arms, the force of her hug nearly knocking me back into the sofa. “I’m going to take that as a yes.” I huff out in a strained laugh.

“We’re going to be a real family now.” She whispers in wonderment. “I’m beyond happy.”

I engulf her tiny body in my embrace. “I’m glad. That’s what matters the most.”

Nicole pulls back, releasing her iron grip around my neck. “Can I wake Daddy and hug him too?”

“Be my guest.” I grin. “If there’s anyone that can wake him up, it’s you.” She doesn’t waste any time, jumping on his chest with the exuberance of a seven year old. Max’s yelp resounds a moment later as I retreat with a giggle to the bathroom upstairs.

I return ten minutes later to find him and Nicole at the kitchen counter doing a crossword puzzle. Max looks up upon my descent.

“We started breakfast.” He informs me, winking sexily. “I promise not to burn it.”

“Of course you won’t.” I retort with a glib smile, pouring out some coffee from the kettle. “I’m here.”

“Dad, I can’t find this word.” Nicole complains with a frown. “I looked everywhere. And now my eyes are starting to hurt.”

Max revises the puzzle avidly. “Which word was it?”

“Excellence.”

“Ah, ok. It’s already circled baby. It’s the one we started out with.”

“Oh.” She mumbled, tapping the pencil against her chin. “Well, I found the last one. So I finished it.”

“I did most of them.” Max whines in mock protest.

Nicole hops down from his lap with a teasing smirk so reminiscent of his own. “Don’t be such a sore looser, daddy. It’s not becoming.” With that, she saunters off into the living room.

I let out a loud chortle at his astounded expression. “Well, well. She’s got a mouth on her. I wonder where she gets it from.”

“Not me.” He quickly denies, sipping his coffee. “You’re definitely the one most privy to lashing out with the lip more times than I can count.”

“I only lip off when I’m pissed off.” I retort with a smug smile. “I can’t help it if my mouth gets carried away.”

“And what a lovely mouth it is.” He murmured huskily.

I roll my eyes in amusement. “You get distracted quite easily.”

“When it comes to you, that’s a given.” Leaning across the counter, he plants a deep, open mouthed kiss on my lips. I’m groaning when he pulls away.

“You’re kissing already?” Nicole questions, shaking her head in disbelief. “It’s not even a day yet.” She huffs out incredulously.

We flush guiltily in light of her accusation. “I’m going to get ready.” She says, sprinting through the kitchen.

“To go where?” I ask as she disappears from my line of vision.

“Daddy’s taking us out.” She yells.

I turn inquisitive eyes to him. “You are? Where?”

“To visit my folks. And then anywhere else you desire afterwards.” Max responds, turning his back to me to check on the breakfast. “And the eggs are done.”

I stare at him in complete fascination. “You know, you look really good in this kitchen.”

TBC…
Jason's Lover
Addicted Roswellian

Part 18

Post by Jason's Lover »

Chapter Eighteen ~ Max

“Hello, hello…I’m at a place called Vertigo…it’s everything I wish I didn’t know except you, give me something…I can feel, feel…”

Tapping my fingers in tune to the song against the steering wheel, I make a left onto the highway, the road unusually clear at this hour. Stepping on the gas, I drive steadily, careful not to go over the speed limit.

This has been the best two weeks of my life. Ever since Liz and I have gotten back together, everything seems to be falling into place, fitting exactly like it’s supposed to. I’ve never felt this carefree, like I could tackle anything and beat it. It’s overwhelming.

Our friends and family have no idea we’ve reconciled and we get the biggest kick out of it. For all their prodding and relentless interest in our relationship as far back as we could remember, keeping them in the dark for once is such a relief.

And the best part is being able to profess my love to Liz as much as I want, knowing that it’s reciprocated and understood. We’ve finally reached that place where we get it. It’s not a mystery anymore. This is the real deal, what a relationship’s supposed to be like. We’ve known each other for so much of our lives, but this is the first time it’s really felt like a partnership. It took me a while to get here, but I’m so grateful we’ve made it together.

Nicole is of course, a tad bit disgusted with all the affection. I’ve lost count of how many times she’s caught us making out here and there, but for all the reprimanding we get, we know she’s only teasing. It’s an adjustment for her, seeing us together and parenting as a unit, but we make it a priority to always discuss everything with her…like a family. As long as Nicole’s content, we’re content. It’s always been that way.

Adjusting my seat belt, my cell starts vibrating in the seat beside me. Taking my eyes off the road, I quickly glance at the incoming number and smile widely – it’s Liz.

“Hello, hello?” I answer in a sing song tone, mimicking Bono.

Liz groans good-naturedly. “What is with you and that song? You’ve been listening to it all week.”

“It’s describing my mood.” I say with a laugh. “You give me something I could feel, baby.”

“I’m sure U2 appreciates that.” I could just picture her rolling her eyes with a smile. “Where are you?”

I lower the volume of the radio. “I’m on the highway, about twenty minutes away.”

“You do know that today’s Thanksgiving, right?”

“Of course I do.”

“So that means that you’re also aware of the fact that I’m cooking, keeping an eye on our precious, yet restless offspring and attempting to make the place look a bit decent before our guests arrive?” She asks rhetorically.

My eyebrows furrow in thought. “Is that supposed to be a question or a statement?”

“Max!” Liz cried in exasperation. “I need you here.”

“Baby, I’m on my way. And you sent me out in the first place to pick up a few things you forgot to buy at the market.” I remind her pointedly.

“That was nearly two hours ago.”

“It’s a holiday, Liz. The only supermarket open was the one across town in Hondo.” I explained. “And let me tell you, the check out line was a bitch. I was standing there for at least a half hour.”

She sighed in resignation. “Did you get everything?”

“I got everything.” I assure her. “You wrote out your little list, remember?”

Liz giggled over the phone. “Shut up.”

My smile slowly fades as I peer ahead the road. Squinting against the sunlight, I spot a woman parked in the middle of the desert, sitting on the hood of her car smoking a cigarette.

“Whoa.”

“What?” Liz queried.

I exit off the highway, heading back in the direction of the scene. “There’s a woman out here just perched on top of her car. She looks sort of stranded.”

“That’s terrible.”

“I know.” I respond, driving up a bit more. “I mean, it’s Thanksgiving. Her car must’ve broken down or something.”

“Well, aren’t you going to help her?”

“You think I should?” I counter tentatively.

“Max, of course you should.” Liz retorted. “She’s obviously been waiting for help and no one bothered to stop.”

“But I thought you needed me there to help you?”

“I do, but I guess that’s more humanitarian. Helping your fellow man, well, in this case, woman.”

I chuckle at her response. “Okay then, I’ll see you in a little bit.”

“You better hurry unless I’m not making that almond stuffing you like so much.” She warned playfully.

“I’ll be quick.” I promise. “I love you.”

“I love you too. Bye.”

“Bye.” Clicking off the phone, I come to a stop a few feet away from the stranger, killing the engine. Honking the horn, I stick my head out the window. “Hey miss, do you need some help?”

Flicking the ashes from the bud of her cigarette to the ground, she turned to regard me, a familiar green gaze meeting mine. I recognize the person instantly.

“Candice?”

She smiled in acute surprise, waving timidly. “Max Evans, what are the odds, huh?”

I unhook my seatbelt, stepping out of the car. “You got car trouble?”

Candice slipped off the hood of the car, pointing to the rear front wheel. “I got a flat tire.”

“No spare?”

“It’s in the trunk.” She answered, fanning her face. “I’d do it, but I left the wrench in my jeep at home. Austin usually drives it more than I do.”

“Austin?”

“My fiancée.” She elaborated, grinning proudly as she lifted up her right hand. “He proposed last month.”

“Congratulations.” I murmur absently, retrieving a wrench from my tool box in the dashboard. “Can you pop open your trunk so I could get the tire?”

I wait patiently beside her as she makes a show of bending low to pull on the lever, her short skirt riding up. I roll my eyes heavenly at her antics.

Lifting the tire from its confinement, I wheel it to the front, kneeling on the ground and immediately going to work. I can feel her eyes boring a hole through the back of my head.

“So, Max, how’ve you been?” She begins casually. “I haven’t heard from you in months.”

“I’ve been good. Busy a lot most of the time.”

A brief silence ensues. “Busy with Liz?” She asked curiously.

“You could say that.” I respond vaguely.

Candice snorted, kicking the dirt with her stilettos. “That’s great.”

I smirk at her obvious disinterest. “I think so.”

“And what are your plans for Thanksgiving?” She quickly changes the subject.

“I’m spending it with my family.”

“That’s nice.” She says cheerily, anything but sincere. “I had a little get together I was supposed to attend at some friends in Albuquerque, but with the flat tire and all the time that’s wasted, I’m sure they’ve started the festivities without me. I won’t get there until tonight.”

I sigh, twisting in the screws as quickly as I can. “That’s too bad.”

Candice stomps her foot, seemingly upset. “Oh, come on, Max. You were never this cold. Why can’t you invite me to your little Thanksgiving dinner? Where’s your compassion?”

“My little Thanksgiving dinner will be in the presence of my child and her mother.” I retorted gruffly. “I’d never disrespect either of them by bringing you there. Furthermore, why would I even suggest that? We broke up months ago.”

“God, what’s the big deal?” She cried. “It’s just a stupid dinner. What? You’re afraid your little girlfriend is going to get jealous?”

I rise from the ground, dusting off my jeans. “Right, jealous. I’m afraid you’re the only one that’s mastered that emotion.”

Candice scoffs, her eyes narrowing. “Don’t patronize me. I had you, remember? She’s got my leftovers.”

“Oh, I’m your leftovers?” I shot back, unable to keep the amusement out of my tone. “I tell you what, go home to Austin, and tell him I said job well done.”

She flipped her hair over her shoulder. “Envious?”

“No, I’m relieved.” I clarify smugly, walking back to my car. “You’re no longer a thorn in my ass.”

“You bastard!” She screeched, yelling to the top of her lungs. “I hate you!”

I drive off with a smirk, not feeling the least bit sorry for the second hole I punctured in her tire.

I smile the whole way home.

The second I step foot inside the house I’m bombarded with favors and tasks, Nicole and Maria firing questions at me left and right, too fast for me to comprehend.

Maria snatches the grocery bag from my hand and quickly heads into the kitchen. “Good, you’re back. I needed the beans for the gravy.”

I follow wordlessly behind her. “Could you check on the turkey?”

“Sure.” I murmur, yanking on an oven mitt.

“Dad!” Nicole cried a moment later, appearing in the doorway. “I need your help.”

I shut back the oven door and turned to regard her. “Help with what, sweetie?”

“My dress.” She said miserably. “I don’t want to wear it.”

“Why?”

“Max, did you check on the turkey?” Maria demanded.

I nod. “Yeah, it’s fine.”

“Mommy picked it out.” Nicole answered, pouting.

I arched an eyebrow down at her in bewilderment. “That’s why you don’t want to wear the dress? Because your mother picked it out?”

“Exactly!”

I blink rapidly, fumbling for a solution. Maria interjected. “Max, before I forget, your Mom called and said they’d be running a little late. Therefore, they can’t pick up the extra chairs from the church. She wanted to know if you could do it?”

“If I could do it?” I exclaimed incredulously. “I just got back from that side.”

Maria shrugged, turning back to the stove. “Don’t look at me, dude. I’m just the messenger.”

I blow out a breath, running a hand through my hair in exasperation.

Nicole tugged on my arm insistently. “Daddy, you’re not helping me like you’re supposed to.”

“Okay!” I declared loudly, startling them both. “Maria, where’s Micheal?”

“He’s picking up my Mom. Why?”

“Call him, and tell him to make a quick stop at the church on Main Street to collect the chairs from Pastor Morgan.”

“Alright.”

I whirl on Nicole next. “Honey, where’s mommy?”

“She’s upstairs getting dressed.”

“Okay, here’s what I want you to do.” I begin, lifting her into my arms and climbing up the stairs. “I want you to wear the dress Mommy laid out for you.”

“But it’s pink.” She protested. “I hate pink.”

“I know, but wear it for me, please? And I promise, after tonight, you won’t ever have to wear pink again. Okay?”

Nicole sighed, relenting with my plea. “Okay.”

Letting her down, she sauntered down the hall, sulking the whole way.

I make a quick retreat to Liz’s room, knocking softly.

“Come in.” She answered. Turning the knob, I slip inside, shutting the door firmly behind me. It’s the sight of her, standing in the front of the mirror that literally steals the breath from my lungs.

“Wow.” I murmur, my eyes raking over her form appreciatively. “You look amazing.”

Liz cracked a shy smile, adjusting the clip that’s holding her curls in place. “Thank you.” She’s wearing a casual form-fitting dress, but it’s none the less stunning simply because she’s in it.

I move forward, stepping closer until I’m plastered to her back. She leans into me as I wrap my arms around her waist, pressing a soft kiss to her neck. We sway slowly in a comfortable silence.

“Did Maria give you the message?” Liz asked suddenly, meeting my eyes in the mirror.

I nod against her cheek. “She did. Micheal’s handling it for me.”

She turned around in my embrace, a curious smile curving her lips. “Well, what happened with your good deed?”

“You wouldn’t believe who the woman was.” I say with a shake of my head.

Her eyebrows furrowed inquisitively. “Who was it?”

“Candice.”

Liz drew back in surprise. “You’re kidding?”

“I kid you not.”

“Well, what did she say to you?”

I shrug indifferently. “She was bitter, ranting on and on nonsensically. I just fixed up her tire and high-tailed it out of there as fast as I could.”

“Oh.” She mumbled, looking away.

I lower my head to try and recapture her gaze. “Liz? What’s wrong?”

“It’s nothing. Trust me.”

Liz rolled her eyes in chagrin at my unconvinced frown. “It’s stupid, really.”

“I still want to know.”

She sighed in resignation. “Hearing her name, well, knowing that you ran into her today, I don’t know, I’m just a little bit…jealous, which is completely ridiculous. I mean, she lives in Roswell too. Of course you’ll see-”

I silenced her with a scorching kiss, possessively cupping the back of her neck to get closer, wanting nothing more than to devour her. Our lips mate hungrily, passionately. I pull away with a groan, relishing in her dazed expression.

Sex hasn’t been a topic we’ve broached yet, but if the look in her eyes is any indication, we’ll be having that talk a lot sooner than either of us planned. I take a deep breath, struggling to rein in my control before I lose it completely.

“You don’t have to be jealous…not even a little.” I whispered, lovingly brushing her cheek with the back of my hand. “I’m with you. That’s where I’ll always be.”

Liz smiled gratefully, leaning up to press a gentle kiss on my mouth. “I know.”

“So, are your parents coming?”

“I invited them.” She confirmed, biting her lip nervously. “I hope they show up, namely my mother.”

“They will.” I say firmly, calming her nerves. “It’ll be fine.”

An anxious grin plays on her lips. “You ready for this? Our first Thanksgiving as a reconciled couple?”

I engulf her hand in mine, squeezing lightly. “Let’s do it.”

TBC…
Last edited by Jason's Lover on Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jason's Lover
Addicted Roswellian

Part 19

Post by Jason's Lover »

Chapter Nineteen ~ Liz

“Are you and Max back together?”

Pausing in my task of decorating the turkey, I sputtered out a nervous chuckle. “What?”

Maria pursed her lips, crossing her arms over her chest. “Don’t act aloof. You very well heard what I said.”

“I’m not acting aloof.” I denied calmly, walking around her to retrieve more grapes. “I’m simply requiring an explanation for such a bizarre question.”

“Bizarre?” She repeated, her eyes widening. “Oh, no, it’s anything but bizarre. And we all see it. I’m just seeking a confirmation.”

“A confirmation or an interrogation?” I returned smartly, stifling a snicker as her eyes narrowed. It’s so much fun having this kind of power over her – the power of absolute secrecy. The need to know is written all over her face.

“Refusal to answer a simple inquiry.” She stated matter-of-factly. “If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you were hiding something.”

I rolled my eyes heavenly. “Maria, what on earth are you talking about?”

“I’m talking about the constant smiling and the casual touching, not to mention the loving stares across the room.” She pointed out, pinning me with her probing green gaze. “And don’t think I missed the hand he had so possessively poised on your lower back when you both came downstairs.”

“My, Maria, you are quite the observer.” I retorted sarcastically. “Sherlock’s got nothing on you.”

A low growl sounded from her throat. “Liz, please, I am going nuts over here. I need to know if what I think I know is really what I know.”

My brows furrowed in confusion. “I’m not sure that made sense.”

Maria grabbed my shoulders, shaking me lightly. “You’re toying with me. I hate when people toy with me. And I don’t mean to pry or seem intrusive or…”

“Obsessive, psychotic, nosy?” I supplied with an innocent smile.

She cracked a rueful smirk. “Funny. The point is, if you don’t tell me what’s going on, I’ll kill you, abduct your child and raise her as a transvestite.”

I removed her hands from my shoulders, gripping hers instead. “Besides the fact that you’re absolutely insane, don’t ever have children.”

“Liz!” She cried as I released her and went back to preparing dinner. “Just tell me.”

“My god, you are really not letting this go.” I whined miserably, throwing my head back in exasperation. “Why aren’t you letting this go?”

“I’m your cousin.” She replied with a justified grin. “And if I were the type of person to let things go, you wouldn’t love me as you do now.”

“I seriously doubt that.”

“I’m family.” Maria continued. “If you can’t confide in your blood, who can you turn to in this big bad scary world? We’ve always been more like sisters, Lizzie. There shouldn’t be secrets between us, its folly.”

My lips twitched upward in amusement. “Folly?”

“I know big words.” She attested, rolling her eyes. "I just don't use them very often."

”Right.”

“Liz, have you heard a word I said? This is unfair on so many levels. It’s evil and vindictive. I can’t believe you’d-”

“Okay!” I interjected with a yelp, throwing my hands up in surrender. “God, I’ll tell you…anything to put an end to your bitching.”

Maria appeared taken aback before settling onto a nearby stool, the inner glee clearly visible within her gaze. “Well?”

“It’s true.” I began, leveling her with an unwavering stare. “Max and I are back together.” Detecting the thinly veiled enthusiasm in her demeanor thriving to run rampant, I quickly busted her bubble. “And before you start doing cartwheels and listing off possible names for our next child, you have to understand that keeping it under wraps was a decision we both made. It’s been an amazing two weeks so far and we sort of wanted to revel in it before we told anyone. To be honest, it was a bit exhilarating keeping a secret for once. I had some fun with it.”

She nodded with my answer, seemingly satisfied. “So I reckon you’re issuing me to keep my big fat mouth shut, right?”

“Yes, well, until tonight at least.” I replied. “We’re planning on telling everyone after dinner.”

Maria grinned. “Hmm, there’s nothing quite like family gossip after a nice hearty meal. But, aren’t you nervous?”

“Maybe a little bit.” I admitted, shrugging. “But, it’s not a big deal. We’re together and we’re happy. That’s all that matters.”

“Well, you’ve got my blessing.” She said earnestly, rising from the stool. “And I’ll clam it until later.”

“Thanks.” Finishing up the rest of the turkey preparations, I lift the heavy pan, heading towards the dining room. “Uh, Maria, could you bring those two cans of eggnog for me?”

“Sure.” Grabbing them from the counter, she trailed beside me. “I’ve got one more question.”

“What?”

An impish smirk curled her lips. “How’s the sex?”

“Maria!”

“What? It’s a valid question.” She protested. “It’s-”

“Highly inappropriate is what it is,” I refuted, slightly flustered with her inquiry. “I’m not answering that.”

“I suppose it is.” Maria conceded grudgingly, holding up the two cans of eggnog. “Where do you want these?”

“Just put them near the cider.” I instruct, my attention drifting as Max sauntered over to me, an inviting smile on his lips. Oh, god.

“Do you need some help?” He asked softly, his breath warm and delicious against my ear.

“Ah, yeah, that’d be great.” I replied, relinquishing my hold on the pan as he took it into his firm grip, depositing it in the middle of the table. “Thanks.”

Max smiled, his eyes sparkling as I gazed back. It’s Maria’s deliberate snickering as she passed by that had us looking away. I shot her an annoyed glare.

“I can round everybody up for dinner if you’re ready now.” Max began, inclining his head toward the living room. “They’re watching a ‘Friends’ re-run.”

“And my parents?”

“They’re there too.” He confirmed.

I let out a breath I didn’t even realize I was holding until now. “Good.”

Max gently took a hold of my shoulders, leisurely running his hands up and down my arms. “Everything’s going to be fine. You don’t have to worry.” I nod with his reassurances, smiling gratefully.

He looked around cautiously before returning his gaze to mine, a coy smirk on his lips. “I’d kiss you, but I don’t want to take the chance that someone walks in and sees us.”

I moved in closer to his embrace, his hands falling to cradle my waist. “What’s life without taking risks?” I counter invitingly, relishing in the darker shade of his eyes.

“You’ve got a point.” He whispered huskily, lowering his head to meet my lips in a soft kiss. Just as it turned more passionate, a throat cleared loudly behind us, startling us apart. Max stiffened and shot me an apologetic stare as Micheal stood before us, wearing a bemused frown.

“Did I stumble into the past or something?” He asked with a careful drawl. “Because I could’ve sworn I just saw you two sucking face.”

“Yes, we were…sucking face.” Max answered, grimacing slightly at the terminology. “Look, what you saw wasn’t an apparition. We’re together…again. And it’s permanent.” He looked to me for confirmation and I firmly took his hand in mine, affirming our relationship.

Micheal stared between us, seemingly at a lost for words. A slow smile cracked his features before a laugh bubbled forth. “I’m just fucking with you. I already knew,” He chuckled, walking forward and clapping Max on the shoulder. “Well done, Maxwell.”

I stood in a total stupor, looking up at Max’s equally mystified expression. “How did he…”

Max shrugged. “I don’t know.” A sudden thought, or rather, person, occurred to me. “Maria.” I gasped.

“Maria?” he asked.

“I told her a few minutes ago.” I clarified. “In the kitchen. She practically grilled it out of me. But she promised she’d keep quiet until we were ready to say something about it.”

“Nope, it wasn’t Maria.” Micheal replied, mumbling around a mouth full of potato chips. “In fact, I knew since last week.”

“How?”

“I remember you had class all day and Max worked late into the evening.” He explained, licking his fingers between each word. “You asked me to watch Nicole, which I did. We had an interesting discussion.”

Max and I both closed our eyes in stupidity, coming to the same conclusion. “Nicole told you,” we murmured in unison.

Micheal grinned. “The kid’s elated. She couldn’t stop talking about it. And for future reference, you ever want to keep something a secret, don’t forget to inform your talkative seven year old. She’ll never get it otherwise.”

“You should know.” Maria quipped, sauntering into the kitchen with the family in tow. “You do share the mind set with a seven year old.”

“Maria!” Aunt Amy cried out, reprimanding her daughter in complete Deluca fashion. “You shouldn’t say such things to your boyfriend. How’s he supposed to ask for your hand in marriage with a mouth like that?”

Micheal snorted and muttered, “Don’t hold your breath.” Maria slapped him hard behind the head. “Ow! Jesus, woman!”

“This is the dinner table, not a boxing ring.” I admonished them both, quickly greeting my parents, Max’s folks and Aunt Amy before taking my seat beside Max and Nicole.

“Everything looks delicious, Lizzie.” Dad commented appraisingly. I smiled appreciatively.

“She had help Uncle Jeff.” Maria casually threw in, smiling innocently as my eyes narrowed.

“Well, who’d like to say grace?” Diane asked, glancing around the table. Usually she or my mother would take it upon themselves to do the honors, hence the surprised expressions on all of our faces with her question. Diane smiled knowingly. “I figured someone else would like to do it this year. Perhaps the person who has the most to be thankful for.”

All eyes fell on Max, their gazes expectant. His brows furrowed in bewilderment. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

Aunt Amy sighed. “Oh honey, we all know about you and Liz. You’re together again.” she stated happily.

Max and I exchanged wary glances, utterly stupefied. “Uh, what?” How in the hell do any of them know?

“Sweetie, you were never a good liar.” Mom spoke up, seemingly sympathetic. “You’re like an open book.”

Nicole perked up in interest. “That means she’s easy to read right?” she asked.

Micheal stifled a laugh and nodded firmly. “Exactly kid.”

“Oh god.” I muttered, my head buried between my palms. Max sighed in resignation beside me, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder.

“So you all knew?” He asked incredulously. “Mr. Parker? Dad?” Everyone mumbled out an affirmative.

“What about you Maria?” I inquired, lifting my head to study her. “You knew too?”

“Not more than a half hour ago.” She answered honestly. “I’m just as surprised as you are.” An uncomfortable silence ensued, each one of their gazes uncertain and probing. Max and I squirmed under the scrutiny.

“Would someone please say grace?” Nicole cried out, startling us all. “I’m starving.”

“I’ll do it.” Micheal volunteered, sitting up straighter.

“You?” Maria giggled, her eyes tearing up in mirth. “That‘s a good one.”

“Shut up,” He grumbled, “I want to eat.” Clearing his throat, he began, “Thank you lord…” His words died off as the entire table erupted in a chorus of laughter. Micheal sighed and rolled his eyes. “Forget it. Let’s just eat already.”

Dinner went along smoothly, conversation mainly centered around past Thanksgiving stories and occurrences. We laughed with the memories, enjoying our rare time together as we created new ones.

Max reached over and grasped my hand in his, our fingers entwining. I’ve spent four Thanksgivings without him beside me like this; without the other half of my heart. It feels so good to be whole again.

“I’m thankful for you.” Max whispered to me, his gaze warm and loving. “For Nicole and for our family.” He paused suddenly, searching for the right words to say. “I’ve sat beside you a million times like this before, but it’s never held as much meaning as it does right now.”

I smiled softly, lifting my hand to his cheek and drawing his mouth to mine. His cell began ringing insistently in his pocket, interrupting our private moment. He excused himself from the table.

“I am so stuffed.” Nicole groaned, lolling back in her seat lazily. “I don’t think I have room for the pumpkin pie.”

“You always have room for pie,” I grinned, twirling the ends of her hair with my fingers.

She shook her head. “Not this time.”

Max returned to the table, holding the cell out to Diane, he said, “It’s Isabel.” He chuckled as she took it hastily, Philip leaning into her side to listen in.

“I’m surprised Isabel hasn’t flown home for Thanksgiving.” Maria commented.

“Well, she’s not exactly alone.” Max answered with a secret smile.

My brows furrowed inquisitively. “Who’s she with?”

“Alex.”

Micheal snorted. “You’re kidding?”

“Nope.” Max smirked, “Apparently, he flew in this morning and surprised her.”

“The bastard took off without telling us?” Maria questioned, her mouth agape. “The least he could‘ve done was drop a hint or something.”

“Why should he?” Micheal retorted, sipping his eggnog. “He’s a grown man and you’re not his guardian.”

“Oh please! Look who’s talking,” she fired back, her belligerent response triggering another round of their banter.

Aunt Amy sighed in exasperation, rummaging through her purse as she muttered, “Where the hell is that cypress oil?”

TBC…
Last edited by Jason's Lover on Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason's Lover
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Jason's Lover »

I will be back... I swear it. I'm writing up the new part. Sorry for the incredibly long delay.

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas! :wink: