Blue Murder (AU CC Mature) Part 23 (08/27/12) [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

WR
Addicted Roswellian

Blue Murder (AU CC Mature) Part 20

Post by WR »

Holidays over already? :( They went by so fast! Only 50 more weeks till my next one.

keepsmiling7 - Well, Barry is nothing if not consistant ;)

Twighlighteyes - Sorry for the wait ;)

Michelle in LA - Ooops - forgot about that Law. But then, I suspect they do too ;)

eririn - Things are GOLDen here :) Aren't the games great? Good Luck to your daughter.

L-J-L 76 - I think Lix and Barry are almost done. Just a few more things to clear up and then...

begonia9508 - Congrats to you son... and to everyone elses sons and daughter :) Yes, Barry blinked first and has given Liz an alternative. HE is the one demanding the divorce. Max's fear of flying came with the accident he had with the alien space ship, remember? (My version of the story as discussed by Maria and Isobel earlier in the story)

HypnotiqueBlueEyes - ah, and Max and Liuz have only just departed for Seattle. ;)

nitpick23 - As yet, Max is not really poaching Liz as a client. As Michelle says, he is more likely to be annoyed that Liz is more interested in Max as a potential partner.

dreamerfiend - Just a few i's to dot and t's to cross ;)

clueless - No, I think even with Liz's fading determination to make the best of it, it's going to take some saving now.

mary mary - Thank for that explanation. I did wonder why they the schedules routed me that way. :)

dreamon - Thanks

Chapter 20

Monday May 11th

It was a little after one o’clock in the morning when a tired Max Evans and Elizabeth Drake emerged from the arrival hall of the Sea-Tac Airport.

“Do you want to go straight to your Mom’s house?” Max asked in a gently cautious tone.

The closer they got to Seattle, the quieter Liz had become. As she grew quieter, her sorrow grew deeper.

“I don’t think I could sleep there,” Liz shook her head. “We should find a hotel.”

“This way,” Max hefted both of the bags onto his shoulder and pointed toward the signs for the taxi rank.

“Could we just rent a car, Max?” Liz yawned. “I really don’t want to risk some taxi driver recognizing me. Besides, we’ll need to be able to get around, tomorrow.”

“In that case,” Max looked around and saw the familiar yellow and black sign. “We go this way.”

“You’ll have to give me directions,” Max checked the road before pulling out onto it. “I have no idea where I’m going.”

“Oh, right,” Liz nodded, almost numbly. “Follow the access road here, over there, look. We want to merge onto the highway, the 518.”

Max followed the road as Liz indicated, grateful that at that hour, there was little traffic to worry him. Although a good driver, he liked to have room to maneuver when he was following someone else’s directions. Slipping in between a huge truck hauling massive logs and an old Chevrolet Station Wagon, Max soon guided the car onto Highway 518.

“Okay,” Liz looked around herself to check her bearings. “In about a mile, we’re gonna come up against an interchange. You want to watch the signs for Highway 5, okay? And we need to head north, follow the signs for Seattle.”

“Got it,” Max nodded.

While Max watched the road, his eyes being straining against the oncoming lights, Liz pulled her cell phone out. She tapped in a short number and pressed the dial button.

“Yeah, hi,” she spoke. “Can you connect me to the Fairmont Olympic Hotel, Seattle, please? Thank you.”

“Can I use your name?” she waited to be connected.

Max nodded.

“There it is, there,” she pointed ahead at the intersection.

Having already seen it, Max nodded and prepared to join the correct filter lane.

“Hello, Fairmont Olympic Hotel?” Liz sat upright. “Yeah. Do you have any rooms available? A Suite, if you have one. Preferably the Cascade Suite. You do? Excellent. Uh, yeah. Yes please. In the name of Mr. M. Evans. Yes. Hold on, I’ll get his card.”

She covered the speaker with her other hand.

“I need your card,” she whispered loudly.

Dipping into his jacket pocket, Max handed her his wallet.

“Okay,” she fished out the card. “I have it here. Ready?”

“Sorry,” Liz slipped his card back into his wallet. “I didn’t want it getting out where I was. I’ll pay you back, Max.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Max shook his head.

“That’s easy for you to say, Max,” Liz gave her first smile since she had received her devastating news. “You have no idea how much the suite costs.”

“Than you better apologize to Maria,” Max chuckled.

“She gave you a card in your name?” Liz looked impressed. “Wow. You must be a great friend.”

“She owes me,” Max gave a mysterious grin.

“I’ll say,” Liz nodded. “What did you do? Save her life or something? Oh, follow this road for about ten miles.”

It was less than thirty minutes when Max pulled his rental in front of the Fairmont Olympic Hotel. To say that Max was impressed would have been an understatement. Huge illuminated colonnades stretched up the six or seven stories of the building. Flags fluttered in the chilly spring breeze. He strained forward, peering up through the windshield.

“Max?” Liz called his attention. “Uh, Max? The valet wants to park the car.”

“Oh, right,” He looked over at Liz surprised to find that she had already replaced her baseball cap and was sliding on her dark glasses. “Let’s go.”

A bellboy had already retrieved their small carry on bags.

“Is this all your luggage?” he asked as the valet pulled away with the car.

“Uh, yeah,” Max didn’t know where to look.

“Come on, Pathfinder,” Liz laughed, taking his arm. “Reception’s this way.”

The interior was just as spectacular as the exterior. It looked like a big budget set from a thirties film. It was all gold and glass and rich creams. Even in the small hours of the morning, there were still a lot of people milling about.

“Max?” Liz called him again, an indulgent smile on her face. “They need your card.”

“Right,” Max nodded, pulling his eyes from the décor. He produced his wallet again and made a mental promise to stop acting like Gomer Pyle on a day trip to the big city. He had seen elegance before. Miami had not been without culture.

“Have you stayed here before?” Max whispered to Liz as the bellboy took them up in the elevator.

“Yeah,” Liz gave a sad nod. “Once or twice. It’s lovely. You’ll like it.”

“How much do I tip the guy?” he whispered even softer.

Liz started to laugh. She looked up into Max’s confused eyes and laughed some more. She laughed all the way to their room. She was still laughing when the bellboy opened the door and deposited their bags on an elegant sideboard. Having experienced the elegance downstairs, Max was not surprised by how luxurious the suite was. Lavish furnishings, a fireplace with a chimney breast, deep pile carpeting and sturdy, ornate furniture.

“It’s been a long day,” Max apologized as he slipped the young man a twenty.

Max hoped it was enough. He hoped it wasn’t too much, either.

“Some help you were,” he grumbled as Liz collapsed into an armchair, holding her sides with laughter.

He couldn’t help smiling, though.

“Your room is through there,” Liz regained control of herself and climbed to her feet, heading for her room. She paused for a few moments before looking back at Max. “Uh… you know… I’m going to go to bed, now.”

“Good night, Liz,” Max nodded, collecting his bag and started walking toward his room.

“Max?” Liz called his attention. Her face was serious, now. The sadness had returned. “Thank you. For everything you’ve done. For coming to Seattle with me. For… For caring.”

“You’re welcome,” Max gave her a soft smile of comfort. “I’m glad I can be here for you.”

Monday May 11th

Max had not slept very well. In actual fact, Max had not slept at all. He had tossed and turned all night. He didn’t need a connection to tell him that a very beautiful young woman was lying in a room a couple of dozen yards away and that woman was in a certain amount of emotional pain. Pain caused not only by the sudden death of her mother but by the actions of someone who should definitely have been doing more to help her in her time of need - her husband.

Max wondered if Barry Drake had ever realized just how lucky he was? He got to hold Liz whenever he wanted. He got to kiss her any time and any where the desire struck him. He was allowed to take Liz to bed and spend all night – and all day, too, if he wanted – making sweet, passionate love. Barry Drake had it all while Max had to lay in his room and wait, wanting to offer her something as simple as comfort but knowing that it had to be her call.

Dawn was a long time coming.

“You ready to go down for some breakfast?” Max asked in a gentle voice.

They had both showered and dressed. Knowing that she did not have to look the glamorous part today, Liz elected to wear jeans and a T-shirt, the same as Max. she had pulled her hair up into a messy bun and had hidden it with a Padres baseball cap. With a pair of sunglasses, Liz would be almost unrecognizable.

“Do you mind if we just call room service?” Liz pleaded with her eyes. “It’s just… I have a lot of personal stuff to attend to, today and I could really do without journalists following me everywhere, asking me how I feel. I know that it’s unlikely someone will recognize me, but… Why take the risk, you know?”

“Of course,” Max nodded. “I’m sorry. I’m not used to this. I don’t think like you do. I guess I’ve never had to worry about things like that, before.”

“It’s annoying,” Liz gave him a weak smile. “And at times, it can be very invasive, and I won’t say you ever get used to it. But you do learn to live with it. But if they stopped paying attention, then I guess that would mean my career was over.”

“What would you like?” Max found the room service menu. “You like tea, right? Earl Gay and lemon?”

“And a croissant,” Liz gave a nod. “With butter and marmalade.”

“Just the one?” Max raised an eyebrow.

Liz nodded.

“Got it,” Max reached for the phone.

Monday May 11th

The day was as long and tiring for Max as it had been for Liz. With her hat hiding her hair and pulled down low over sunglasses, he drove her everywhere. She visited Dr. Julius to complete the necessary paperwork. She visited a funeral home and asked them to take care of the arrangements. She went to the house that had been her home for a long time and sorted through the papers, taking care of anything urgent that had to be resolved while Max emptied the kitchen fridge, freezer and cupboards of any perishable items or packages that had been opened. These ended up in the trash can. Everything else was boxed up and delivered to a nearby charity food bank.

Liz spent at least a whole hour, just sitting in one of the arm chairs, her thoughts a great distance away. A distance that was perhaps measured in time. A gentle, sad smile was on her lips while tears rimmed her eyes. And all the while, Max was there, offering help in whatever capacity she chose to use him; offering comfort in whatever way she chose to take it.

“I guess that’s all I can do for now,” she took a last look around the house that had once been home. “I’ll arrange for Alex to see to the rest of her affairs. I suppose all this will have to be sold.”

“You ready to go back to the hotel now?” Max touched her elbow.

With a sad nod, Liz turned to look up to the young man who had been her rock that day. The dam burst and tears flooded from Liz’s eyes.

“Oh, Max,” she sobbed, pressing herself against his solid body. Max didn’t disappoint her. He wrapped his arms around her and held her quaking body tightly. “What am I going to do without her? I’m all alone now.”

“You’re not alone,” Max shook his head. “You have people who love you. Your… your husband. You have Maria and Michael. And there’s your friend, Alex. My Mom already loves you.”

“You?” she looked up with a hint of teasing through her tears.

“Me,” he confirmed, his face turning several shades of red. “Always.”

“Come on,” Liz reluctantly broke out from his protective embrace and wiped her eyes. She pulled Max by the hand toward the door. “I’d like to reward you for your help, today. Let’s go back to the hotel and get dressed for dinner. But first, I just need something from my old room.”

Monday May 11th

When you can manipulate molecular structure, right down to knitting together sinew and bone, not to mention connect and seal severed arteries, then changing your jeans, T-shirt and wind-cheater into a smart, elegant suit with just a wave of your hand was a walk in the park.

At first, Max thought that Liz was trying too hard to take her mind off her mother’s passing, but the more he thought about it, the more he realized that going out to dinner, rather than hiding in the hotel was what she needed. And he would do his level best to keep her mind off of the bad things that had been happening in her life, just lately. He did wonder, however, how she was going to keep the journalists off of her back. He had no doubt that if anyone recognized her, which was bound to happen, then they would find themselves surrounded by the pests. They knew that she was in Seattle, they just didn’t know where. They had already managed to evade a few photographers that were loitering near the hotel, stationed there just in case, not to mention the ones they found camped out near her mother’s home. Ready for his evening with Liz, Max left his room and entered the living room.

When she joined him from her bedroom, Max was speechless. It wasn’t the dress that had left him that way. It was a simple affair, a pale blue sheath dress with shoestring straps that extended to just past her knees. It made her look stylish and elegant. Neither was it the modest two-inch heels that she wore. No, what made Max lose his powers of speech was Liz’s hair. The long, gorgeous chocolate curls were gone, replaced by long, straight strands of platinum blonde. Her eyes were blue. If Max hadn’t known that Liz changed in the next room, he might have thought this woman a stranger. The fact that he could feel her presence helped.

“It’s a wig,” Liz smiled. “Do you think anyone will recognize me?”

“I don’t think so,” he shook his head, reaching out to touch the blonde hair. It felt strange. “What’s it made of?”

“It’s a manmade fiber,” she told him. “It’s called Modacrylic. When I bought this for a fancy dress party, I couldn’t afford to buy a wig made from real hair.”

“And the eyes?” Max narrowed his own as he stared into Liz’s.

“Contacts,” she shrugged. “Same party. No one even knew who I was, not even Barry. It was a real hoot.”

“For the record,” Max smiled at her. “You look so much better as a brunette.”

Monday May 11th

“If you could only do one thing while you were in Seattle,” a blonde Liz explained as Max stared in wonder at the panoramic scene in front of him, “then the Space Needle is it. I mean, it ‘is’ Seattle.”

Liz giggled as Max kept moving around the edge of the window, trying to take it all in.

“Three hundred and sixty degrees of heaven. I’m so glad we have a clear evening Max. Sunsets here are just…”

“Awesome,” Max agreed. “Almost as good as in the desert.”

“You should see it at night, Max,” she rolled her eyes. “When Seattle is all lit up. I bet the desert can’t compete with that.”

“You mean you don’t remember the desert night sky?” Max raised an eyebrow. “I’m sure it’s beautiful, Liz. But the night sky, free from light pollution… All those stars… all that…”

“It’s a shame we don’t have time to see it,” Liz tugged on his hand. “The night sky here, I mean. Our dinner reservations are for eight.”

“I love this place,” Liz gave a smile of reminiscence. “When my cousin got married, we had the wedding breakfast here at The Metropolitan Grill. It was a good thing there were only fourteen of us. The bill came to over two thousand dollars.”

“So what’s good here,” Max looked down at the menu.

“Well, the seafood platter hors d'oeuvres are absolutely scrumptious,” Liz informed him. “But it’s rather a lot for just the two of us. That could probably feed a small family. But Max? You just have to try the ‘Kobe-style’ steak. It will be the most fantastic cut of meat you will have ever tasted. And you don’t even need a knife to eat it with.”

“This, I’ve got to see,” Max smiled. “Or rather, taste.”

Liz decided to order the same, and because Max was drinking only soft drinks, she too declined a glass of wine, or anything stronger.

“Were you a regular at the Crashdown?” Liz asked while they were waiting for their order.

“No,” Max shook his head. “By the time I was old enough to start hanging out anywhere, the Crashdown had already become a bit of a… It was not somewhere that sane people went to eat.”

“My Dad used to own it,” Liz gave a sad smile. “It was a great place, back then. Too bad the new owners let it run down. We traded it for a diner here in Seattle.”

“I’d have become a regular,” Max nodded. “I’d have taken a regular booth and spent as much time as I could, just watching a certain… During high school, did you work as a waitress in your Dad’s diner?”

“Yeah,” Liz blushed, trying to hide the grin that was spreading in her face. She knew what Max was going to say. “Thankfully, he didn’t have a lame uniform like he had at the Crashdown.”

“Pale green, weren’t they?” Max struggled to remember. “With silver aprons shaped like alien heads. Oh, and deely bopper antenna.”

“Oh my god!” Liz burst our laughing. “I can’t believe you remember those.”

“I can’t believe I missed out on seeing you wearing it,” Max chuckled.

Liz blushed even harder.

Liz yawned as they stepped into the suite they were sharing at the Fairmont Olympic Hotel. She held her hand over her mouth.

“Sorry,” she looked up at Max with tired eyes. “I guess these last two days have taken their toll on me.”

“That’s okay,” Max waved away her apology. “I can only imagine.”

“I’m going to go straight to bed,” she started to pull her platinum wig off. “Do you mind?”

“Not at all,” Max gave a gentle smile as he watched her shaking her head to fluff up her flattened hair. “Good night, Liz. Sleep well. I hope… I hope you feel better in the morning.”

“Thank you,” she nodded, turning away to head for her room. She stopped and looked back. “And thank you, Max. For being such a… such a great friend. I really don’t know how I would have coped on my own. Thank you so much for coming.”

“It was a pleasure, Liz,” Max looked down at his feet and rubbed his ear. “I’m glad that I’m being of use to you.”

She closed the distance between them and reached up on tiptoes to give Max a light kiss on his lips.

“You are wonderful,” she whispered before moving away.

Max placed his fingers on his lips where she had kissed him and watched her go.

“So are you,” he shook his head. “And Barry has no idea what he has.”

Monday May 11th

Maria sat in front of her piano, testing out a few compositions on the keys, trying to get what was in her mind, down on paper. It was a laborious task but so worth it when she got it right. Michael was in the other room, watching the hockey game. Because there were times when she couldn’t be with Michael, they liked to spend their days together, each doing their own thing in the evening, but close enough to call to one another. And Michael liked his hockey.

“Maria!” Michael burst into the room, moving with an urgency she had not seen from him since the days of the Skins. “You gotta come see this.”

He ran back to the living room.

“Michael,” Maria growled. “If you are dragging me in to see some stupid goal or penalty or something, so help me, I’m going to kick your…

The huge television screen wasn’t showing the hockey game, however. Instead, the screen showed the backdrop for E! News. Superimposed behind the two presenters, were photographs of Barry Drake and Elizabeth Parker.

“On E! News, tonight, we ask the question,” the attractive, blond female presenter started. “Is it all over for Hollywood’s golden couple. Barry Drake, star linebacker of the San Diego Chargers and Elizabeth Parker, Hollywood darling and star of the acclaimed, ‘Nancy’. We’ll be right back, after the break.”

“This can’t be good,” Michael shook his head.

“D’ya think?” Maria groaned.

Last edited by WR on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WR
Addicted Roswellian

Blue Murder (AU CC Mature) Part 21

Post by WR »

Hi everyone!

Question. Did anyone catch the clue???

L-J-L 76 - I am sure that Liz will find out about E-News and what they say about her. But I think Maria and Michael will have slightly different concerns.

keepsmiling7 - I think Liz is seeing what could have been. I'd love to hear you findings and msuing on the killer. In a PM, of course.

Michelle in LA - sorry of I didn't make it clear, the wig and contacts she collected from her bedroom in her mother's house. I think Barry might have other concerns looming. ;) Sorry I didn't get the metaphorical water to you quicker ;)

mary mary - Thank you

HypnotiqueBlueEyes - Thank you. And as for the show... full glorious technoclor (well, as techniclored as you have set your fanot and background) coming up.

eirin - Does it indeed ;)

begonia9508 - At this stage, a divorce has been threatened. Time will tell - and it's telling that time is moving rapidly on that front.

Twighlighteyes - Sorry. It's what I do best ;) My cliffhangers were legendary. I even had Max literally hanging from a cliff once. Oh wait. No. I had him fall from a cliff :lol: I don;t think that Barry is capable of cheating with another woman, let alone being caught ;)

dreamon - Thank you

cjeb - well, I'm sorry I left you guys hanging that long. :)

Alien_Friend - Max? A muderer?? Heh Heh Heh - Would I do a thing like that? :evil:

Okay - so just what is E! News going to dish up?

Chapter 21

Monday May 11th

“On E! News, tonight, we ask the question,” the attractive, blond female presenter who looked like a Barbie doll started. “Is it all over for Hollywood’s golden couple, Barry Drake, star linebacker of the San Diego Chargers and Elizabeth Parker, Hollywood darling and star of the acclaimed, ‘Nancy’? Hi. I’m Eve Bryant.”

“And I’m Dan Turner,” the Ken look-a-like with the bright, wide smile and the close cut brown hair introduced himself. “So, Eve. Rumors have persisted all day about a very public outburst between Barry and Elizabeth. What can you tell us about it?”

“Well, Dan,” Eve turned to look into the camera. “It seems that while staying with friends in Roswell, New Mexico, where she happens to be shooting scenes for her latest film, Elizabeth had decided to throw a party for the local dignitaries and neighbors. Now, sources close to the scene reported that while talking with a group of friends, including Kyle Valenti and Maria DeLuca, she received some rather devastating news from a Doctor in Seattle. Apparently, Elizabeth Parker’s mother passed away due to a heart attack. She was being comforted by a member of the family she is staying with, a Maxwell Evans.”

“Wasn’t he the young man that was seen dining with Elizabeth at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel’s restaurant just last week?” Dan flashed a dazzling smile into the camera, just as the grainy picture of Max and Liz appeared on the large screen behind them.”

“That’s right,” Eve nodded. “And Elizabeth’s husband, Barry chose that very moment to appear as a surprise for her.”

“I guess he was one getting the surprise.”

“He was, indeed,” Eve confirmed. “Barry really over reacted to seeing his wife in the arms of another man like that and called her some rather insulting names.”

“Sounds to me like Barry doesn’t have a lot of trust in his wife,” Dan spoke with a conspiratorial glance at the camera.

“Absolutely,” Eve agreed. “Elizabeth, of course, ran indoors to escape public scrutiny and humiliation. Barry was prevented from following her indoors by Elizabeth’s friend, Mr. Evans. By all accounts, no one in the NFL has ever managed to block Barry Drake as well as Mr. Evans did, yesterday afternoon. NFL scouts might want to take note. Barry left the party shortly afterwards in what was described as ‘not a good mood.’”

“Do we know where either of the couple are, now, Eve?” Dan wondered.

“Yes and no, Dan,” Eve gave a lopsided grin. “We know that Barry is at their home in San Diego. He arrived there late last night. There’s been a steady stream of visitors all through the early hours of the morning, fellow teammates for the most part, and his lawyer but Barry has not left since he got back. We’re not really sure where Elizabeth is right now, but we do know that her friends ran a ‘screen’ that the Charger’s Offense would have been proud of, misdirecting the waiting journalists so that she could sneak away from Roswell. We’ve heard reports that she was spotted emerging earlier today from her mother’s house, which would make sense, but it’s unconfirmed and she hasn’t been seen since.”

“It would seem, then,” Dan surmised, “that Barry is leaving Elizabeth to deal with her mother’s passing by herself.”

“Or perhaps, Elizabeth is dealing alone on her own volition.”

“Well,” Dan shrugged, “we’ve been hearing reports that Barry has been less than happy with Elizabeth’s behavior of late. There was the dinner with her lawyer, Alex Whitman, a reported dalliance with an as yet unidentified stranger at Maria DeLuca’s party and then her assignation at the Fairmont Miramar with Maxwell Evans.”

“Then you might be interested to know, Dan,” Eve smiled, “that sources have identified that mystery man at the DeLuca party as none other than Maxwell Evans. However, no one seems to know just whom this Maxwell Evans is.”

“Hmmm,” Dan pondered. “Perhaps Barry is right to have been annoyed to have found her in his particular arms. You know, this is getting…”

“Oh, I’m sorry. I have to stop you there, Dan,” Eve was holding her finger against her ear. She held her other hand in a stop signal. “We are just receiving some breaking news. Barry Drake is about to make a statement. We’re now going live to our outside broadcast team, currently situated at the gate to the Drake’s mansion in San Diego. We can go live, now, to our reporter on the spot, Melody Harper. Mel. What can you tell us?”

At the bottom of the screen, a red banner with white writing moved across the screen, announcing ‘Breaking News’.

“Yes, good evening, Eve, Dan,” the tall, slim, sandy haired woman held one hand over her ear and the other in front of her, holding a microphone. Behind her was a large crowd standing in front of the fully lit gates to the Drake household, which remained shut. The house seemed to have been lit up with every available light. Between Mel and the gates, a swarm of reporters where constantly taking photographs, the flash guns illuminating the night sky. “As you can see all about me, there are a lot of journalists standing around, waiting for any new developments. We’ve seen a number of people arriving, including Mr. Shellow – who is not only Barry’s manager, but Elizabeth’s too - and Mr. Aldus, Barry’s lawyer. The latter arrived only an hour ago and there has been no activity since. Then, ten minutes ago, John Goldsmith, quarterback for the San Diego Chargers emerged from the front door of the house and made his way to the gates. He told us that Barry would come out shortly to read a prepared statement. He also added that Barry would not be taking any questions. Mr. Goldsmith then returned to the house, ignoring all the questions that were being shouted at him. So the mood here is one of high expectancy.”

“Mel,” Dan called out as though he was taking to her directly and not through her ear-piece. “Have you been given any indication as to the contents of Barry’s statement? Did John Goldsmith give you any clues.”

“None,” Mel shook her head. “Although speculation is rife, no one really… oh… wait…”

Around her, the noise rose. The clatter of dozens upon dozens of camera’s clicked and buzzed in the background. Once again, flash guns turned the night sky into daylight. The television camera swung from the presenter to aim at the distant door that had just opened. Three figures stepped into the night air.

“That’s Barry Drake,” Mel’s voice could be heard over the other noise. “With him is his manager and his lawyer, Shellow and Aldus.”

The three men walked with steady, confident steps until they reached the gate. Standing back slightly, the three men stood and stared out at the crowd while they waited for the noise to die down. Soon, it was quiet, although the cameras still clicked and buzzed and the flash guns still lit the night. Dozen’s of recording devices were thrust forward.

“Good evening,” Mr. Aldus, Barry’s Lawyer took a step forward and spoke in a loud voice. “My client, Mr. Barry Drake wishes to make a statement. Once he has finished, we will not be answering any questions. Barry…”

Aldus stepped back. Barry stepped forward now and pulled some folded sheets of paper from his pocket. He unfolded the sheets and quickly perused them. With a quick cough to clear his throat, he started to read.

“Yesterday afternoon, upon making a surprise visit to my wife at the home of friends in Roswell, New Mexico, I discovered my wife in the arms of another man. Because my wife, Elizabeth Drake, better known to you as Elizabeth Parker, has been seen in the company of this man on more than one occasion, I reacted badly. I am ashamed to admit that I did not wait for an explanation but jumped to a very bad and erroneous conclusion. In my hurt – because yes, I was hurt – I grew very angry, very quickly, and rashly, called her a name I wish now that I could take back.

“Never-the-less, I should not have reacted the way I did and for that, I offer my wholehearted apologies to my wife, Elizabeth, her friends and colleagues and the Evans family for abusing their hospitality.

“We have been at odds, recently, because our respective jobs have been pulling us in too many directions at once and we have not been able to find that balance that we had last year. However, my wife and I are currently implementing a system whereby we will not open ourselves to the rumor and gossip that has hurt us both, recently.

“At this moment in time, my wife is in Seattle where she is seeing to her mother’s affairs and making the necessary arrangements. Elizabeth and her mother were very close and now, I am all she has left. She should be home in the next day or two. Once she has returned home, you will see for yourselves that we are still very much in love and still very much together.

“There is no story here. We are not splitting up. We are still strong in spite of the stress that has been put upon us by less scrupulous members of the press. I hope that you will all respect our privacy and allow us the peace and privacy we require to heal our wounds and put this regrettable incident behind us. I am confident that the press will leave us alone now, to grieve in private for the passing of Elizabeth’s mother. That is all I have to say on this matter. Thank you.”

In spite of the previous statement that they would not be answering questions, that did not prevent the massed ranks of reporters bombarding the trio with them. The three men turned and moved back toward the house, leaving the reporters shouting out questions after them. One question, however, shouted louder than everyone else’s, was heard above the din.

“Where is Max Evans right now?” a reporter asked. “And is he with your wife?”

“Shit, Maria,” Michael stared at the screen, shell-shocked. “What have we done?”

“What do you mean?” Maria frowned. “We put the two together. I told that things have a habit of coming together around you guys.”

“Maria,” Michael looked away from the TV screen. “Let’s say that this goes down how it’s looking. Barry can go on TV and say everything is fine but I’ll tell you right now, if Liz forgives his sorry ass then she’ll lose whatever respect I had for her. But that means Max is sidelined and probably in a place none of us want him to be. But say she dumps the moron’s ass and hooks up with Max. What do you think will happen then?”

“Max and Liz can start…” Maria’s eyes narrowed and then widened. “Oh, shit! Max is going to be living in the goldfish bowl.”

“Right,” Michael nodded. “And Max doesn’t do goldfish bowls. Goldfish bowls are not where you want to be when you’re hiding a big secret like we’re hiding. Max still does trees.”

“Are you saying that being in the public eye is a bad thing for you?” Maria placed her hands on her hips raised an eyebrow.

“Not for me,” Michael shook his head. “No one gives a damn about me. I’m practically invisible. And I wasn’t the one strapped to a gurney in a medical lab being poked and prodded and god knows what. We might have destroyed all the physical evidence, Maria, but what would happen if one of the technicians that was involved sees him and says, ‘hey, I know that guy’?”

“Oh my god!” Maria gasped. The look of horror died on her face. “No. No, I think it will be all right. I mean, it was seven years ago, Michael. Max has changed since he was sixteen. I seriously doubt they really looked at him. I mean, did you ever look at the rat’s face you dissected in bio lab?”

“Did you never notice how Max and Isabel always missed those labs?” Michael gave a wry grin. “Me too. Too close to home.”

“It’ll work out, Michael,” Maria shook her head in defiance. “Just like it always does. Besides. How stupid would they look? It would be like something right out of the National Inquirer. ‘Elizabeth Parker dating alien. FBI Special Agent recognizes boyfriend as alien he once tortured in a white room.’ Come on. The guy couldn’t show his face in public for all the laughing. And can you say ‘lawsuit’?”

“But will Max see it like that?”

Tuesday May 12th

Unable to sleep, Max sat up in bed, leaning against the solid wood headboard with his knees drawn up, his mind going over that special broadcast, earlier. He wore just a pair of boxers, his normal night attire. Earlier, he could hear Liz in her room, softly weeping but she had been quiet now for some time. Still, Max could not sleep. So instead, he pulled a folder from his small suitcase and opened the documents he had been working on before all of this started; the details for Maria’s tour.

“Can’t sleep, either, huh?” Liz stood at the entrance to his room, leaning against the edge of the wall. She wore a thick toweling dressing gown that held the crest for the Fairmont Miramar Hotel in Los Angeles.

Although the suite had two separate bedrooms, neither room had a door in the traditional sense. Instead, there was just a gap along the wall, angled so that the living room did not look directly into the bedroom.

“No,” Max looked up from the description of a soccer stadium in London that might fit Maria’s requirements. “Are you okay?”

“Not really,” Liz shook her head.

“Duh,” Max gave a self-deprecating smile. “Of course you’re not. Do you want to come in?”

“You don’t mind?” Liz gave an inquiring look. “You don’t want to get on with… what is it you are doing?”

“Maria wants to put together a small European tour,” he smiled, folding the documents and his notes back into the folder. “And it can wait. Did you want to sit?”

Nodding, Liz stepped into the room and approached the bed. She sat on the corner, leaning against one extended arm.

“You have a wonderful family, Max,” she told him. “Your mom and dad, they’ve been so kind to me. And Isabel… She was just so amazing.”

“Now I know you’re making that up,” Max chuckled. “I’m betting that she was full on twenty questions. I really don’t think that Isabel knows how to pass up an opportunity to question someone famous, even if she does know Maria and knows that underneath the glitz, they’re just ordinary people.”

“Is that how you see me?” Liz raised an eyebrow. “Ordinary?”

“No,” Max gave a soft snort. “No. You’re anything but ordinary.”

Liz stood up from the bed and walked around the edge until she reached the space on the other side from Max. She climbed up and sat beside him, leaning against the headboard. She stared at his bared chest for a moment.

“Uhm…” she looked straight ahead and licked her lips to moisten them. “Do you have a shirt or something?”

Max looked down, remembering how he was dressed and reached into the drawer beside him. He pulled on a white T-shirt.

“Better?” he asked.

“Probably,” Liz nodded, looking at him again.

“It’s been a rough couple of days, huh?”

“Yeah,” Liz agreed. “And I still have to face Barry, and then there’s the funeral… and I still have all that filming I have to do and I’m sure I’m going to put Langly behind schedule and he’s going to go over budget and… But then, if he goes over budget, maybe he won’t ask me to do those sequels.”

“You’ve agreed to do more films?” Max raised an eyebrow. “Didn’t I read somewhere that you would never do a sequel unless there was a demand for it?”

“See, even you knew that,” Liz chuckled. “The lawyer I had at the time missed the clause that signed me up to four possible extra films. That’s why I changed to Alex.”

Max remained quiet.

“Alex Whitman,” Liz nodded. “Uhm… you know. The firm who fired you.”

“Yeah,” Max grinned. “Because some film star prima donna didn’t like my face or something.”

“I said I was sorry,” Liz squirmed.

“You know,” Max gave a shrug of indifference. “If you want me to, I could take a look at that contract. Maybe I could find a loophole or something. Or maybe there’s a clause in there that could allow us to force a change or something. It’s a shame you never included a sanity clause.”

“A sanity clause?” Liz frowned. “What’s that?”

“Oh, nothing,” Max evaded.

“What do you mean, nothing?” Liz frowned. “Seriously, Max. What is it? Maybe Aldus put one in?”

“He won’t have, Liz,” Max shook his head. “You won’t have one.”

But how do you know?” she demanded. “You haven’t even looked at the damn contract yet!”

“Liz,” Max turned to look her straight in the eye. “You won’t have one. Because everyone knows that there’s no Sanity Clause.”

Liz stared at him in frustration for a moment before her face twisted in a grimace. She started to laugh.

“Oh, god,” she rolled her eyes. “That is just so bad, Evans.” She reached out and pushed against his shoulder. “Don’t give up your day job. Really.”

When Liz pushed against him, she took advantage of the action by moving herself closer to Max. Still chuckling, she leaned against him. It seemed the most natural thing in the world for Max to lift his arm up and over to wrap it around Liz’s shoulder, holding her until her laughter subsided. Max looked down, surprised to find that her laughter had turned into silent sobs.

“What am I going to do, Max?” Liz cried.

“Uh,” Max wasn’t entirely sure what she was asking. “About your contract? Like I said, I’ll look at it for…”

“No,” she edged closed to him. “About Barry.”

“What…” his throat went dry. “What do you want to do?”

“I mean, he’s my husband, you know? I don’t think Father O’Malley would ever forgive me if I asked for a divorce and…”

“Is that what you want?” Max was a little surprised. “A divorce?”

“I’m not sure,” Liz managed to gain control of herself. “Maybe. I mean, I’m not supposed to. Forsaking all others, until death us do part.”

“I think God would want you to be happy, Liz,” Max leaned against her slightly. “And if you’re not happy, then…”

“I don’t understand why he calls me those names,” Liz shook her head. “Max, I have never cheated on him. Never. And I certainly don’t plan to start, but he makes all these demands of me, telling me I can’t go to my premier, or a party or something, just because he can’t go with me.”

“Is this why you asked me those questions the other night?”

“Yeah,” Liz gave a nod. “Kind of. Did you ever call your wife… your ex-wife any names?”

“Like I said, Liz,” Max leaned his head back. “I’m not totally blameless for our problems. In fact, it’s probably all my fault. Debra, she… Isabel was really angry with her when she found out she had been cheating. But I hadn’t been giving Debra the love and the contact that she needed. Debra felt… abandoned, and so she started to get what I wouldn’t give her from someone else.”

“Wouldn’t?” Liz questioned. “Or couldn’t?”

“Maybe both,” Max shrugged. “The thing is, Liz, if I started to get angry with her, if I started to call her names, then I would only have been avoiding the truth. I would only have been shifting the blame to hide the fact that at the end of the day, what I had to offer Debra wasn’t enough. She wanted a full time husband and I wasn’t even able to be semi-part time.”

“He’s going to be all nice,” she told him. “He’ll tell me that he loves me, that we’re soul mates, he’ll apologize and tell me it’s going to be better. Then he’ll tell me that he basically wants to control my life, that I can’t go places or do things or… see people. But it’s okay for him to do all those things.”

“You mean, he…” Max went silent.

“No,” Liz gave a wry chuckle. “Believe me, an affair is the last thing I have to worry Barry would do.”

“How did you guys meet?” he asked, softly.

Liz remained silent for a moment, leaving Max to think that she wasn’t going to answer.

“All through High School,” Liz spoke quietly, “I was a cheerleader. They recruited me because of my size. I was always the apex of the triangles, the one they threw high into the air. I had hoped that I’d left that behind when I left High School. On my first day at college, my room mate found out about it and dared me to try out for the team. I guess meeting Barry was inevitable, after that. But I didn’t really know him until that day I saw…”

“Me,” Max nodded. “I really screwed up, huh?”

“It takes two to tango,” Liz sighed. “And I think I stayed with him because I kind of figured that maybe I wasn’t good enough for… for anyone else.”

“It was never about you not being good enough for me, Liz,” Max spoke in a thick whisper, clearly understanding what she had wanted to say. “I wanted to be there when you woke up. If you only knew the number of times I asked myself, what would have happened if I had just stayed in that damned bed until you woke up. I could have gone and got breakfast afterwards.”

“Well… It wasn’t you who made me marry him when I knew it was the biggest mistake since… ever. And it certainly wasn’t you who forced me to stay with him when it became obvious that things…”

She fell silent again.

“I don’t know what to say, Liz,” Max shifted to make himself more comfortable. “I don’t know what to tell you to do. I mean, maybe you should ask yourself, do you love him? Because if you do… If you love him with all of your heart, then it’s got to be worth fighting for.”

“Is Debra worth fighting for?” Liz raised an eyebrow.

“Debra is a lovely young woman,” Max gave a whimsical smile. “She’s pretty, she warm, she’s… just not the one for me.”

“What about the ‘one’ for you, then?” she pressed. “Would you fight for her?”

“There was a time in my life, once, when I would have answered ‘no’ without a moment’s hesitation,” Max rolled his head to one side. “And now, I would really love to say yes with just as little delay. But… it’s complicated.”

“My grandmother once told me that true love was always complicated.”

“No it’s not, Liz.” Max argued with a shake of his head. “Why should true love be complicated? It should be simple, really. Either you’re in love, or you’re not. The rest is just logistics.”

“And are you in love, Max?”

“Like I said,” Max exhaled deeply. “It’s complicated.”

“Hypocrite,” Liz smirked.

“That’s me,” Max gave a rueful nod. “A walking, talking stack of hypocrisy.”

“You’re a great friend, Max,” Liz sighed. “I’m really sorry that the press are going to hound you, now.”

“That’s okay,” he whispered. “I expect that once you and Barry talk and get this whole mess straightened out, the press will forget about me. I’m a nobody.”

“You’re not a nobody, Max,” Liz leaned her head against his shoulder.”

“Sure I am,” he disagreed with a smile. “I even have a coffee cup somewhere that tells me so. I am nobody. And nobody is perfect. Therefore, I am perfect.”

“Max?” Liz tilted her head to look up into his face.

“Uh huh?” he looked down into hers.

“Shut up.”

“I can do that,” Max nodded as Liz snuggled herself closer to him.

Ten minutes later, Liz was sound asleep. Max had to wonder why she liked falling asleep in the most uncomfortable of positions. Uncomfortable for him, that was. Maybe one day, they could fall asleep side by side. Except that Max knew that such an event would be too much to ask for. Somehow he knew that when they got back to Roswell, or San Diego, wherever it was that Liz decided to go, things were not going to be the same. In order to fix her marriage, Liz, he was sure, would have to make concessions to Barry. And Max knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt that one of those concessions would be that she had to stay away from him. He brushed her forehead with his lips.

It was not easy being an alien in a human’s world.

Last edited by WR on Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WR
Addicted Roswellian

Blue Murder (AU CC Mature) Part 22

Post by WR »

Hi Everyone...

sorry about that Sanity Clause (Santa Clause?) joke. Couldn't resist ;) Well, "I" liked it. :lol:

mary mary - I think Liz is getting there. :)

Michelle-In-LA - Liz is trying to be a normal girl around Max. Max is being a good friend and she's reacting accordingly - she doesn't to lose that but is caught in her own web, and as you say, dragging Max deeper. But then, he's not resisting too hard. ;) As for your Tarnished Liz comment, well you know how fickle people are and give them something better to look at and they lap it up. And won't they just lap up Max and Liz?

eririn - Well, with Max and Barry, that's all the possible candidates lined up ;)

HypnotiqueBlueEyes - Well, I guess Max is going to have to decide... goldfish bowl or tree? I'm sure that with Liz, a goldfish bowl won;t be so bad. No, no murders for a while.

begonia9508 - I think that Liz is very nearly with your way of thinking. Don't worry. that paticular fly in the ointment is played out and I just need to close it down. ;)

dreamon - Thanks, :)

keepsmiling7 - I think Maria got it right though. Who is going to look at Max and say "Hey! He looks like he might be an alien!" LOL. Max is just paranoid ;)

dreamerfiend - I expect you can make a good guess as to what the final straw for Liz will be.

Alrighty then... Max and Liz need to return home and face the music...

Chapter 22

Tuesday May 12th,

“Gentlemen,” Edward Bumenthall stood at the front of the meeting room. “I’d like to present my preliminary findings.”

Behind the man, a large square of light illuminated the wall. Lines of text and photographs detailing the clues that had been discovered with lines linking them together decorated the lit square. In front of him, in rows of seats sat various dignitaries of the local law enforcement agencies. Chief among them were detectives Roy Montoya and Carl Gartner.

“Firstly, I want to make it clear that until we discover further evidence, and until we can link in the evidence we have already found, the picture I am presenting to you is murky, to say the least.” He gave a wry smile. “Forensics is not as exact as the TV programs would have you believe, and neither is profiling. We cannot examine a single fiber and deduce the perpetrator’s blood type, height, weight, star sign and address. Neither can we look at the picture and figure out that we have a thirty two year old man born in Smalltown, Connecticut, who dropped out of High School and like to wear his Momma’s clothes every Thursday and currently lives at two thirty four Renford Street, Desmoine. Would that it could be that simple at any time. But I do have a picture that might be applied to people who might be known to the victim’s friends and families if we approach them again with our profile.

“At first, I was disposed to believe that the killer was in fact, a female. A tall, athletically fit female with brown eyes. This would fit with all sightings of the last person to be seen with the victim, including Mr. Deke Skolsgard’s claim to have seen a second girl with brown eyes. However, after revisiting his statement, I believe that Mr. Skolsgard may have simply been mistaken. There were a lot of strangers around at the time and this did happen some time ago.

“So, I now believe that we are looking for a male. More than likely he is Caucasian, and he is a well educated man. He is also fit; the strength needed to puncture through the ribs in a controlled manner requires a strength that would be lacking in a female, unless she were an athlete of some sort. The man might be involved in some sort of sports, or at the very least, he will work out on a regular basis. He is a very strong man.

“He is a man who likes to be in control. Apart from the first assault, and the latest one in LA, which had an element of frenzy to it, the man appears to always be in control of the situation. Somehow, he gains the complete trust of the victim so that his first strike comes as a complete shock to her system. It probably incapacitates her to some degree, allowing him to then puncture her six times in her chest, followed by the lethal strike to her heart.

“He has travelled. He has appeared in three locations on the West Coast. As yet, we have heard nothing from any other police forces so we can, for the time being, assume he either lives in the west or visits the west frequently.

“He understands how the criminal investigation team works. He is always careful to clean up afterwards. But as we have found, there is no such thing as the perfect crime. We have collected some evidence that can assist us. As yet, it isn’t telling us much, but it is early days.

“Now for the big one. I believe that this man has a secret. A secret that he keeps from everyone; one that he hides, perhaps to the point of paranoia. It might be something small, it might be something big, but he does not like this secret to get out. This secret embarrasses him. This secret prevents him from attaining any form of long term relationship, fearful of the fact it might get out. Which it did.

“My belief is that the Jane Doe we found up in Washington was his first victim. I believe that she discovered his secret and perhaps she laughed at him. Perhaps she was terrified by it and she threatened to go to the authorities. We don’t know. What we do know, however, is that it pushed him over the edge and he killed her. He first lashed out, cutting her throat. In this particular killing, he will have inevitably been splattered with blood. He now takes care to avoid this, although we are not sure about the killing in LA.

“He then stabbed her seven times in the chest; a frenzied mutilation before he regained control. This action gave him some kind of relief. Intense relief. So this is a pattern he continues with, recreating the scene exactly as it happened that first time, to give him that same release. The thing is, he enjoyed it. He probably cannot attain satisfaction any other way, now. So he finds women who remind him of his first… note how they are all petite, on the short side. Five two, five three…

“Will he strike again? I believe so. I believe that this, now, is his only way to achieve sexual release. Will he strike in San Diego or Los Angeles? Or anywhere else for that matter. That, unfortunately, we do not know. Unless he has his own pattern, we should certainly be aware that there might be a second victim in LA. Now… questions?”

“Yeah,” detective Montoya gave a soft snort, “Can someone check out who lives at two thirty four Renford Street, Desmoine?

Tuesday May 12th,

“Twenty seven missed calls from Barry,” Liz looked at the screen on her cell phone. When she climbed off the plane with Max, after they landed at Roswell’s airport, she switched on her cell phone for the first time in two days. “Deleted. Twelve text messages from Barry.” She chuckled. “Deleted.”

They had arrived in Roswell an hour before noon.

“Shouldn’t you have seen what they said, at least?” Max walked a step behind, carrying their cases.

“They always say the same thing, Max,” she looked back at him. He could see his face reflected in her sunglasses. “Love ya babe. Miss ya babe. Call me ASAP. He’s not what you call eloquent. A dozen texts and a ton of missed calls from Alex. He says ‘Call me.’ Guess I better call him, huh? Oh, I have a text from Maria.”

“What does Maria have to say?” Max raised his eyebrows.

“You, me, ice cream,” Liz read with a smile. “And can I please have my lawyer back any time soon?”

Max gave a chuckle.

“There’s Dad with the car,” Max indicated his father’s SUV approaching. Come on. Let’s get you home.”

Max paused, his face turning scarlet.

“I mean…”

“It’s okay, Max,” Liz smiled. “I knew what you meant.”

Tuesday May 12th,

“Hey, Alex,” Liz spoke into the phone she held to her ear.

Outside, the suburbs of Roswell slipped by.

“Liz?” Alex exhaled with relief. “Where the hell have you been? I’ve been trying to reach you for two days! Do you have any idea how many times Barry and his lawyer have called me?”

Alex sounded angry.

“I can guess,” Liz nodded. “We went to Seattle, Alex. I went to pay my last respects and get the important things sorted out. You know, like a funeral.”

“You didn’t have to go alone, Liz. I…” he paused. “Wait. We? Barry was in San Diego. Did your friend, Maria go with you?”

“Max came with me,” Liz confirmed. “You know, he was already here and…”

“That was hardly your best move, Liz,” Alex almost growled. “The whole cause of this latest… mess is because Barry caught you in that Max’s arms. What do you think might happen if Barry ever finds out that you… and Max… two days… and nights. Shit, Liz. What were you thinking?”

“Oh, gee, I don’t know Alex,” her voice was tight. “Maybe I was thinking that I had the right to do what I wanted.”

“Well, it wasn’t a very clever move. You should have discussed it with me, first.”

“Who employs whom, here, Alex?” Liz demanded. “Where in the contract does it say that you get to call me on who my friends are, who I can and can’t see. It isn’t enough that I have a husband who flies off the handle every time I see an old friend, but my lawyer, too?”

“I thought I was a friend, Liz,” Alex snapped.

“Then start acting like one and stop trying to control me!”

“Liz!” Alex complained. “It’s just that… You know he’s threatening divorce.”

“And do you think that would be such a bad thing?” Liz sighed.

“Personally?” Alex asked. “No. But professionally? It could really hurt you, Liz. Everyone would think that you were the guilty party, here. Barry would get all the sympathy. People might not want to sign you up any more? Besides. I thought that you didn’t want that.”

“I’m not so sure any more,” Liz shrugged. “And I always have those sequels with Langly to fall back on.”

“Is… Is that what you want, Liz? Because if it is, then you come straight around here and we’ll get started on the papers. But until it’s over and dusted, you can’t associate yourself with this Max character. This could hurt you, Liz. Big time.”

“Alex, I told you…”

“I mean it, Liz. As your friend and your lawyer. If you want to come out of this as clean as possible, you have to break all contact with him. You can’t see Max Evans until it’s done and dusted. You can’t even be in the same room as him.”

“I don’t think I like the sound of that, Alex,” Liz told him. “We’re on our way back to his house, now. I’ll call you in the morning.”

“Liz!” Alex yelled as she disconnected.

Tuesday May 13th,

“What’s that?” Gartner asked his mentor as he entered the office, which was also their command center.

Detective Roy Montoya was reading from a colorful brochure.

“Cheerleading supplies,” Montoya looked up.

“Uh huh,” Gartner grinned. “A secret vice?”

“Nope,” Montoya gave a smirk. “An answer.”

“To what?”

“Made from a blend of polyester and spandex, our cheerleading uniforms are…” Montoya dropped the brochure and looked up. “Jane Doe in Skokomish? She wore a cheerleader uniform.”

“Because of the colors…” Gartner gave a slow nod of agreement. “If was just keep fit stuff, it would probably have been just white.”

“Right,” Montoya nodded. “And want to know what else I found out?”

“What?”

“Know that fiber? The long brown one?”

“Yeah?”

“Acrylonitrile and vinylidene chloride is called a synthetic copolymer,” he picked up a small sheet of paper. “That’s the scientific name for Modacrylic, which is commercially described as soft, strong, resilient, and dimensionally stable. It can be easily dyed, show good press and shape retention, and is quick to dry. It has outstanding resistance to chemicals and solvents, is not attacked by moths or mildew, and is nonallergenic. Among it’s uses are in apparel linings, fur-like outerwear, paint-roller covers, scatter rugs, carpets, work clothing and…,” he looked up, “as hair in wigs.”

Tuesday May 12th,

It had been a while since Liz had taken part in such a simple event as a family lunch, at least, to this scale. As well as Mr. and Mrs. Evans – Philip and Diane as they insisted she call them, Isabel and Jesse had come over. And, of course, Max was still with her, seated at her side. It amazed her how they could handle so may different conversations at once and yet, know exactly what everyone was talking about.

“I hear Maria’s got some big plan,” Philip was looking at Max. “Actually, I think I’m better off stepping back from her. I can see that becoming high maintenance. Jesse, did you pick up the Rositer papers from the printers?”

“What’s Maria up to, Max?” Isabel was helping herself to some potatoes. “Oh, Liz. If we get a chance, do you think you could take me shopping somewhere nice? Maybe Rodeo Drive? Mom, these potatoes are gorgeous. You gotta let me have the recipe.

“Rositer files are on your desk, Philip” Jesse nodded. “Oh, Max. I gave your jeep a quick oil change. Noticed it was getting a little… Rodeo drive, Iz? Liz, please don’t take her anywhere that expensive. I’m going to be the one paying for it.”

“Thanks Jesse,” Max smiled. “I was keeping an eye on it. Maria’s planning a small European tour and she’s thinking of starting her own label. Can someone pass me the creamed corn?”

“Liz, honey,” Dianne was already passing the corn to Max. “Did you get everything sorted out in Seattle? Is Rositer up to his old tricks again, Philip? Oh, Jesse, did you remind Max that Michael wants him to call as soon as he got in?”

Liz just blinked. Everyone seemed to be talking at once and she had no idea how to answer the questions that were thrown at her.

“Sorry,” Max smiled. “It does take some getting used to. Just say what you need to say and trust me, they’ll hear you.”

She gave him an uncertain nod.

“Sure, Isabel,” Liz spoke, perhaps a little louder than necessary. “We’ll set up a trip to LA. I know some good priced stores. I’ve almost finished everything. My lawyer can handle the rest. And then I guess it’s just the… funeral.”

That one word dropped a heavy curtain of silence upon the table.

“Oh, Liz,” Diane sounded mortified. “I’m so sorry. Here we are talking nine to the dozen and we completely forgot… We are so insensitive.”

“No, no,” Liz shook her head. “Please. This is great. Being like this. It’s just what I need.”

“Will you return to filming tomorrow,” Isabel asked.

“I told Cal I would,” Liz nodded. “They filmed around my scenes, so far, but...”

“You know, if you need someone to help you… with the funeral…” Diane edged. “Isabel and I would be only too happy with the arrangements.”

“Thank you, Mrs… uh, Diane,” Liz smiled. “But that’s what I pay Alex for.”

“Are you and Alex very close?” Isabel wondered.

“Friends since eighth grade,” Liz nodded. “Uh, but that’s all. We’re not… uh…”

She was staring down at her plate, blushing.

“Well, if you need someone to accompany you to the funeral,” Jesse was stopped when Isabel slapped his shoulder. “What?” he demanded. “I was going to say that I’m sure Max would…”

“Oh, that’s okay, Jesse,” Liz saved him from further humiliation. “But, I expect Barry should be with me. Especially as he is still my husband. And, you know... appearances sake and everything”

Liz had never been so glad of her Hollywood 'fake' smile.

“Barry,” Jesse spoke in a tone that suggested just what he thought of ‘Barry’.

Max remained silent.

“Of course Barry should be with you,” Diane confirmed. “It’s great to know that no matter how busy he is, you have someone who will be there for you. Just like Philip with me. It must be so difficult for you both.”

When the knock at the door came, everyone turned to look that way.

“I’ll go,” Max pushed his chair back and rose.

With quick strides, he left the dining room, making for the front door. They heard the murmur of a conversation and it went quiet. Max appeared at the door, looking at Liz.

“There’s a courier at the door, Liz. He has a package for you but he can only give it to you. He, uh… needs a signature.”

“That’ll be from Cal,” Liz dabbed her lips with her napkin and rose from her seat. “He’s probably sending me script changes. Happens all the time.”

She followed Max to the front door. Moments later, Liz was sitting at the table again, opening her package as the conversation rose around her.

“Uh, Max,” Liz looked up from her document, her face draining of all color. “Can uh, you drive me to the airport?”

“Sure,” Max nodded. “Is everything all right?”

“Not really,” she shook her head. “Barry just sent me that agreement he wants me to sign. I really need to talk to him.”

“The one that basically signs you to servitude?” Max frowned.

“Yeah,” Liz nodded. “Either I sign this or it’s…”

She looked up, helplessly.

“I understand,” Max nodded, looking at the ground.

He would never see Liz again. She would no longer be able to have any contact with him.

“Actually,” Liz was thinking along the same lines. “Is there any chance you could drive me to San Diego?”

She could spend one last day with him.

“Of course,” Max turned to reach for his coat. “If we leave now, I’ll have you at your house by midnight.”

“Then, take my car, Max,” Philip reached for his keys. “A, it’s faster, b, it’s a hell of a lot more comfortable; Liz might even be able to get some sleep and c, you can’t see through the tinted windows. Just, uh… the plates will say whose the car is and Liz can claim that your Mom was driving.”

“Right,” Max nodded. “Thanks, Dad.”

Tuesday May 12th,

With a little alien know how, the car had purred along the highways and Max had managed to get to San Diego two hours before midnight. Speed limits were for humans, he had decided and every speed detector along the way developed a sudden case of static. Max parked the car just down the road from the home Liz shared with Barry. The two of them stared at the crowd of ‘journalists’ that were waiting outside the house for any more breaking news. As the only people who knew that Liz was heading home were Alex, the Evans’ family and Max and Liz themselves, her appearance would come as a big surprise. For Barry, as well.

Travelling light, Liz carried no bag because she knew that she had a huge wardrobe in the house. She would, in any case, be returning to Roswell for filming tomorrow morning. All she carried with her was her purse and the agreement that her husband had sent to her, the one that she had still yet to sign. She wanted to talk to Barry, about this, first. She wanted him to understand how far she was willing to go to save their marriage. To understand her commitment. But she also wanted to know how far he was prepared to go. She was tired of this being a one way street.

“How will you get through those people?” Max stared at the people ahead of them.

“I’ll ask those nice policemen,” Liz smiled, pointing at the squad car that stood watch. “I pay my taxes, too, you know.”

“Beats arresting felons, I guess,” Max smiled. “It’s not every cop who can say they escorted Elizabeth Parker home.”

“Don’t try to drive all the way to L.A. tonight, Max,” Liz warned him. “Stay at the Westgate Hotel in San Diego. Charge it on my account. I… I already warned them you would be dropping in.”

She reached over and typed the address into the SatNav.

“Liz, you don’t have to…”

“I know,” she interrupted. “But I want to. So please. Get a good night’s sleep and go to Maria’s in the morning. Arrive alive. Okay?”

“Okay,” Max nodded. “I will.”

“Max,” Liz turned to face him. There were tears in her eyes. “I wish…”

“So do I,” he nodded, his hands gripping the steering wheel so tightly that his knuckles had turned white. “Good bye, Liz. Look after yourself.”

“You too.”

She leaned across the seat and kissed his cheek. Quickly, before she could change her mind, before she could give in to the feelings that were overwhelming her, demanding that she kiss him properly, she opened the door and leapt from the car. The noise made by the slamming door was far more loud and ominous than Max had ever heard it before. He watched as she walked purposely up to the squad car. When she vanished among the crowd, between the two uniformed policemen, Max fired up the engine and pulled away, ignoring completely the detached voice of the SatNav suggesting that he turn left at the end of the street. He wouldn’t go to the hotel. In the mood he was in, there was only one place to go, only one thing to do.

“Thank you,” she called to the policeman as she let herself into the iron gates with her electronic key.

With a confidence that was missing, Liz walked straight to the front of the house. She paused and looked up at the large building. She looked up along the high wall, continuing until she was looking straight up at the starry sky. Aware that the distant cameras were still on her, Liz took a deep breath opened the large doors, stepping inside.

“Hello?” she called out, listening to hear if anyone was around. “Barry?”

She checked the kitchen first but no one was there. There was no one in the large media room, either, although the TV was on, a DVD showing a Chargers game that Barry had played in. She then went through to the exercise room. That room too was empty, but there were signs that it had been in recent use. Loud rock music was pumping through the speakers and there were some dumbbells still on the floor. The door to the shower room was closed but she could hear the sound of running water. She was almost at the shower room door when she caught sight of the medium sized, black plastic bottle on top of the water cooler.

Pausing, Liz picked up the bottle. As she did so, she saw a small opened box on the floor, next to the cooler. There were more bottles in the box, almost a dozen of them, identical to the one she held. Looked inside the bottle, Liz saw that it was only half filled with pink pentagonal tablets. Frowning, Liz looked at the label. It was printed in Spanish and no name had been typed onto the label. These tablets had not been prescribed. The large letters, however, even though they were in Spanish, told Liz all she needed to know.

Esteroides Anabólicos.

Barry had not only broken his promise, he had been lying to her the whole time. He had not stopped using them. He was still taking the steroids. The door to the shower room opened and with a towel wrapped around his waist, Barry stepped into the room.

“Liz!” he exclaimed in surprised.

His face erupted into a smile until he saw what she was holding. The smile vanished.

“I can explain,” he started, his face a mask of worry.

“You know what?” Liz placed the bottle back on the water bottle and turned to leave the room. “Don’t even try. I was going to sign your damned paper because I wanted to show you how hard I was trying to save our marriage. Only, now I find that you haven’t tried at all. It’s all one way. I make the sacrifices while you’ve been pumping this crap all the time!”

She spun on her heel and headed for the door.

“Where are you going?” he demanded as she left the room, lifting the phone to her ear.

“First,” she paused, “I’m shredding this agreement. And then, I’m going back to Roswell to finish my filming.” She then spoke into the phone. “Can you bring the car around to the front door please, Ben?”

“If you shred that agreement, Liz,” Barry warned, “then Aldus already has the divorce agreement set up.”

“You made me a promise, Barry,” she glared at him. “You promised that you were finished with all that. And you were lying all the time. So you do what you have to do, because I am so tired of this. I’m tired of your problems always being my fault.”

“Liz?” he called as she was already walking out the front door. “Liz!” he yelled again just as Ben pulled up in the limo. “I mean it Liz!” Barry was standing on the porch in his towel. “If you go through those gates, it’s over!”

Liz didn’t even look back as the limo pulled away and eased through the gates, through the crowd and out into the San Diego streets.

“Where to, Miss Parker?” Barry glanced at her through the rear view mirror.

Miss Parker. Liz gave a little smile. She liked the sound of that, she decided. Miss Parker.

“Westgate Hotel, please, Ben,” Liz sighed. She felt as though an intense weight had been lifted from her. She felt as light as a feather and more importantly, she felt free. She couldn’t wait to tell Max. How bad did that make her? “How fast can you get me there?”

Last edited by WR on Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WR
Addicted Roswellian

Blue Murder (AU CC Mature) Part 23

Post by WR »

Hi Everyone,

Bank holiday weekend and thigs are hectic. Family day out and all.
My youngest daughter did great in her AS level results. If she repeats these grades next year, she's a cinch for whichever University she decides to apply to.
Good news for me is that her favorite is only a 45 min drive away! :)

cjeb - Everyone's sentiments ;)

Michelle in LA - Even the die hards have their limits and Liz realising that it was all give from her was the final straw. Max and Liz "did the deed" that night way back in college. They are semi bonded. Not done it since, though.

eirin - Duh Duh Duh! Yes, where IS Max goinf and what IS he going to do? :twisted:

L-J-L 76 - However annoying, Alex does have to look after Liz's interests. His problem is that Max is oneof her interests ;) and that is bad news for her career - at leats he wants to thibk so.

begonia9508 - Yes, Max has changed plans. :twisted:

nitpick23 - Of course Liz has his cell number. She's already alled him once, remember? ;)

keepsmiling7 - But there are other people with secrets out there, right? ;) Right?

Alien_Friend - Max went to College in Washington, met Liz and they had their one night stand. Barry was already persuing Liz who accepted his advances because Liz saw Max with a blonde (Isabel). Max saw Liz and disgusted with himself (and upset) that Liz had a partner, he transferred to Florida. Barry was taking steroids from an early age and has always had sexual problems - at least, since he met Liz.

HypnotiqueBlueEyes - I'm pretty sure that Liz will come our smelling of roses. Even hote ones. ;)

Twilighteyes - I think Liz will just want to wash her hands of Barry as fast as possible. I doubt she wants to get embroilled in his drug problems.

I apologise for the shortness of tonights chapter. It used to be much longer but a scene I wrote WAAAYYY back was premature. I don;t know what I was thinking but it did not belong here. So it got removed but I had nothing to add in it's place. sorry.

Chapter 23

Tuesday, May 13th

Shortly after eleven p.m., Ben pulled the limo up in front of the Westgate Hotel in the heart of San Diego. The doorman was already opening her door for her.

“I don’t have any luggage today,” she gave him a feint smile. She turned back to the open door. “I’ll call you tomorrow, Ben. Uhm, a heads up, though? Barry might get a little awkward. Call my lawyer if he starts to threaten you.”

“You know our loyalties are with you, Miss Parker.”

“Thank you, Ben,” she smiled. “See you tomorrow.”

Smiling happily, Liz almost danced up to the check in desk.

“Good evening, Miss Parker,” the concierge gave a small bow. “We haven’t seen you here in a while.”

“No,” Liz gave a grin. “I’ve been a little busy.”

“So I hear,” he chuckled. “Will you be staying long?”

“Just the one night,” Liz gave a fake frown as she reached for the register. “I have to go back to Roswell for filming. Can you arrange for a nightdress, a toothbrush and some toothpaste to be sent up? And, uh, what room did you give Maxwell Evans?”

“Maxwell Evans?” the concierge scanned the list of names in his register. “Mr. Evans had not, as yet, checked in Miss Parker.”

“Oh?” she frowned. “But he… Never mind. Uh, can I get a call in the morning? Say… nine?”

“Certainly, Miss Parker,” he bowed again with another smile. “Good night.”

Tuesday, May 13th

While she couldn’t help wonder where Max was, Liz was fervently hoping that he was not trying to make the drive to LA. He had not slept at all that morning, and he had driven all the way from Roswell to San Diego without stopping, except for comfort breaks, and now he was trying to drive to L.A. As she pressed the quick dial on her telephone, worried that he would be involved in an accident. After all, he was only human.

“Come on, Max,” she groaned. “Pick up.”

“Hey, it’s me,” his voice intoned. “Leave a message, I’ll call you.”

“Dammit,” she cursed. “Where the hell are you Maxwell Evans?”

Liz decided to give him a few moments and would call again. But there were a few people she needed to talk to. Wheels had to be put in motion. People needed to know what was going on before they found out from the media. This time, she dialed another number.

“Hi,” Alex Whitman’s voice chirped. “You’ve reached the phone of Alex Whitman. I’m sorry, but I can’t take your call right now. But if you leave your name and your number after the tone, I’ll get right back to you.”

She tried his home phone and the office number as well. There was no answer from any of them.

“Probably asleep,” Liz shrugged as she tried yet another number.

“Liz?” Maria’s voice sounded surprised to hear from her. “Is everything okay?”

“I don’t know, Maria,” Liz sat against the headboard on her bed and pulled her knees up to her chest. “I guess ‘yes’ and ‘no’ might be good enough answers right now.”

“Talk to me babe,” Maria voice sounded full of sympathy.

“You know Barry wanted me to sign that agreement, right?” she asked. “Of course you do, you were there. So I asked Max to drive me home. I was going to save my marriage. Anyway, when Max dropped me off and we said… Oh, god, Maria. We said goodbye. And now Max thinks…”

“Thinks what?” Maria asked. “Liz, Chica. You’re not making a lot of sense. How about you tell me what happened in the order that it happened and we can psychoanalyze everything after.”

“Okay,” Liz nodded. “Max dropped me off at the house. And we said goodbye, okay? And it felt like I would never see him again. Anyway, I went inside and…”

Liz proceeded to tell Maria everything.

“So you’re at a Hotel, right? The Westgate?”

“Yeah,” Liz nodded. “Only Max isn’t here, Maria. And he won’t pick up his phone. Please tell me he’s not trying to drive to LA? Or home, to Roswell.”

“Wish I could,” Maria sighed. “But you know what? Don’t worry about Max, kay? Besides. If he felt anything like the way you’re feeling, he probably drove out into the desert. They do that a lot.”

“They?” Liz frowned.

Ooops, Maria chastised herself.

“They as in Michael and Max. A habit they picked up in Roswell. When ever things get a little… tense, they like to go out to the desert. In fact, that’s what Michael has done tonight. He took off, earlier and I probably won’t see him till the morning. He sometimes feels like he let Max down, and so he does that a lot.”

“Why would he feel that he’s let Max down?” Liz frowned again.

She felt like she was missing a bigger picture.

“Who knows why guys think what?” Maria chuckled. “You know… us being from Venus and them being from…”

“Mars,” Liz finished with a nod.

“Or even Antar,” Maria chuckled.

“Antar?” Liz shook her head as though to clear it. “I don’t understand.”

“Inside joke,” Maria mumbled. “Sorry.”

“Well, maybe he just went to a bar or something,” Liz continued. “I mean… it can’t have been easy for him, all this running me around and… Why are you laughing?”

“Between a bar and the desert?” Maria was still laughing, “It will be the desert. Trust me, babe. I have known these guys a long time and a bar is the last place on earth Max would go. So why the interest in Max’s whereabouts? Concern for his well being or maybe you want to let him know that you’re a free agent again?”

“Maria,” Liz gasped. “It’s not official or anything. I’m technically still married. And yes. Yes, I do have feelings for Max. I mean… He’s so great, Maria. So kind and considerate. And sometimes, he can be so gentle, he makes me want to cry. I love being with him.”

“Well, that’s a good thing, right?”

“I don’t know,” Liz groaned. “Maybe Alex is right. Maybe I should stay away from Max. At least until everything calms down. Then, maybe Max and I can go on a date and see if there really is anything there.”

“There will always be something else, Liz,” Maria advised her. “Forget what Alex said and do what you want to do. Do what feels right.”

“I’m so confused, Maria,” Liz sobbed. “I mean, what if what I feel for Max is just… fantasy, something I made up to help me get through this mess with Barry. I’m almost relieved it’s over. No, wait. I am relieved it’s over. Oh god. Do you think I’m going to be damned?”

“No,” Maria chuckled. “I think you ‘were’ damned. And now you’re not. Find Max, Liz. You know it’s what you both want.”

“But…”

“You are so totally in love with Max Evans,” Maria accused. “Just like he is in love with you. Liz, please don’t waste any more time worrying about what people will think of you. When you two are together, you are both different people. Other people notice that. And ten minutes after your first interview, the public will be in love with you all over again, because when Max lights you up, babe, he lights you up.”

“But…”

“And Liz?”

“What.”

“Don’t wait till you’re married before you let Max rock your world. If me and Jesse are anything to go by, you won’t stop smiling for a year. Maybe longer, knowing Max.”

“Maria!” Liz gasped. “You are so sending me straight to hell!”

“Nope. Heaven, chica. Uh oh,” Maria groaned. “Better not turn on the TV Liz.”

Wednesday May 14th,

“Things have certainly been happening here,” Melody Harper, the Outside Anchor for E Tonight! spoke into her microphone. Around her, the Drake Mansion was still illuminated by camera lights and flashguns. “A little after ten o’clock this evening, a dark car pulled up just down the road. Shortly afterwards, Elizabeth Parker climbed from the car and approached the nearby police squad, stationed for crowd control and they escorted her through the waiting journalists to her door. She refused to answer any questions. A little more than ten minutes later, Elizabeth’s chauffeur pulled up with the Limousine by the front door and Elizabeth got in and it drove away. We believe that she went to the Westgate Hotel in downtown San Diego. Then, another ten minutes after that, Barry Drake emerged from the garages in his four by four and raced through his gates, narrowly missing the crowds who had to scramble to get out of his way.”

“Any idea where he was going, Mel?” Dan in the studio asked.

“None, I’m afraid,” Mel shook her head. “A couple of photographers told me that they lost him when he went off road across a vacant lot. These are guys with off road motorbikes and are experienced at this sort of thing. For Barry to have lost them, he must have been driving like a bat out of hell.”

“Could you tell what mood he was in?” Eve asked.

“We couldn’t actually see his face, Eve,” Mel told her. “But from the way he was driving, I think it’s safe to assume that he was pretty angry.”

“And what about Elizabeth, Mel?” Dan asked. “How did she seem when she went into the house? And what about when she came out?”

“Well, here’s the strange thing,” Mel gave a confused frown. “She looked almost sad, dejected as she went in. And when she came out, she certainly looked angry but she also seemed… relieved.”

“Do we have any idea of the significance of this?” Eve asked.

“Certainly, everyone has their theories,” Mel nodded. “And there are a lot of morning editions that’s going to be running with them, but the consensus seems to be… Elizabeth and Barry are breaking up.”

“Who was in the car with her when Elizabeth arrived?” Dan was reading through some notes.

“The car is registered to a Mr. Philip Evans of Roswell, New Mexico,” Mel told them. “The windows were tinted so we couldn’t see who was in there with her, but given that she was staying in Roswell with Mr. and Mrs. Evans, it might be premature to suggest that anyone else other then Philip Evans was in there with her.”

“So,” the cameras returned to the studio. Dan was collecting his sheets of paper into a neat pile and tapping the end against the stable to straighten them. “That leaves us with the question, is it all over now, bar the shouting?”

Wednesday, May 14th

It was still early. The sun had barely climbed above the distant mountains in the east. There was a sea of black and white police cars with the red and blue lights flashing. A short distance from the road, a large, white tent reflected the light’s colors back at them. Uniforms were slowly walking along the road and the desert, carefully searching for anything that did not belong there.

“What have we got?” the Detective from the SDPD asked as the senior officer approached him.

“Female Caucasian,” he replied. “Early thirties, naked. Slashed throat and seven stab wounds to the heart area. She’s in a shallow grave but wasn’t covered. Her body was found around four o’clock this morning by some off road motorcycle scramblers. They’re right over there.

He pointed to young men in motorcycle leathers, both looking pretty shaken up.

“A little early to be off roading, isn’t it?”

“For you and me,” the uniform shrugged. “But these guys are hardcore. They said that they spotted her in their headlamps. When they stopped to check, they heard a jeep of some kind pulling away. They didn’t see any light, though, so can’t say if it was one or more than one person inside or which way they went.”

“So our murderer was disturbed, huh?”

“Seems that way.”

“Okay,” the Detective nodded as he pulled out a phone. “As soon as CSI are finished, I want a complete report." He frowned when he heard the phone go to voice mail. "Hello? This is a message for Detective Montoya. This is Detective Barnes of the SDPD. I’m out here north of Upper Otay Lake, just off Wueste Road. You know that case you’re working on? I think we have something that might interest you.”

Last edited by WR on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.