Shall We Never Get Older (AU,CC,Adult) Ch 19 - 06/20/12[WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

The Mad Hatters
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Shall We Never Get Older (AU,CC,Adult) Ch 19 - 06/20/12[WIP]

Post by The Mad Hatters »

Title: Shall We Never Get Older

Author: The Mad Hatters

Disclaimer: We don’t own nada…but the words pouring out of our MAD minds. Similarities among famous people and other famous people is the result of pure MADNESS. And now, for the fine printed words meant to be read really fast. <Roswell and its characters do not belong to us. They belong to the creative minds of Katims, Metz, UPN, WB, yada, yoda and dark(th) vader?>

Rating: Adult

Pairings: Michael/Maria & Max/Liz

Summary: Four amazing people stuck in childhood antics wonder if they will ever grow older. The challenge, however, comes in the simple fact that they are all in different stages of maturity. Some are younger, some are in the middle, others are older and wiser, regardless; they all still have some growing up to do.

Author’s note: Two people, a stubborn challenge idea, a funny story about a wheel chair bandit and a late, late night where we were both punch-drunk on lack of sleep inspire this story. It’s our first time writing together and well…it all started out with a joke and soon raged out of control like the burning passion that…yeah; let’s keep this A/N PG-13 shall we?

*Special thanks to LostFate99 for being our beta!

CHAPTER ONE

Maria

“Pass me the popcorn…” I ask my best friend without taking my eyes away from the TV screen. The Secret Window is playing right now and it doesn’t matter how many times I have seen this movie, I’ll never get tired of it. Well…tired of Johnny Depp that is.

“Pass me the M&M’s….” Liz swats me on the shoulder causing me to hiss. No…my M&M’s…I push the bowl away from her so she can’t take any. She’s evil and needs to be stopped. Liz the giant chocolate goober eater!

Liz scowls at me and bares her teeth. Snap, snap! Snap, snap! “You know this is my movie right?”
I pout…no fair. My movie, my Johnny Depp! Mine…mine! Grrr! Sighing dramatically, I slid the bowl back towards her. “Fine,” she can eat the yellow ones anyways. No one eats the yellow M&M’s. It’s like unconstitutional.

I turn my attention back to the TV screen and plop my chin down into my hands. I wish I could have a guy like Johnny Depp…who knows what we would be doing right now. Probably out traveling the world, singing karaoke in random bars, or eating sushi in Japan. Nope…instead it’s just me-o-my-o all by myself—and Liz (can’t forget her), stuck in Roswell, New Mexico. Home of the freakingstastic aliens. Oh, no need to mention that my mom is the biggest UFO nut of them all, nope, even if does make me the baby nut.

I hear Liz give a breathy sigh next to me causing me to turn my head and look at her. “What’re you thinking about?”

She sighs again, heavier this time. “How much I wanna have Johnny Depp’s love child.”

I can’t help but laugh at her and I both…look at us, both 22 years old and still pinning over good ole Johnny like we did back in the eighth grade, it’s ridiculous. We’ve had an ongoing obsession with him since we first discovered Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas that one summer. “Me too honey, me too.” I let out a sigh as well, wondering if his hair is really that messy in the morning or if it just naturally falls in place like that. I wouldn’t put it past his perfection. After all, this is Johnny Depp we’re talking about. It sort of reminds me of Michael’s hair, Liz’s older brother. His sticks up everywhere too, only it doesn’t matter what time of day it is.

That idiot! He’s only four years older than me but he still treats me like I got 2nd grade cooties. In fact, this morning when I was getting coffee, I completely forgot that he was going to be here. Usually when I spend the night at the Parker’s, I never see Michael in the morning. He usually doesn’t crawl back into his hole of an apartment-garage till way late in the afternoon. But for some reason he was there and as soon as he saw me, he actually pulled my hair and tried to drop my shorts. Then he ran around the house yelling: “she touched me, she touched me.” It was so embarrassing, especially since Mr. and Mrs. Parker were there. God, you know, you’d think someone who is 26 years old would have grown of this childish phase…but—

“Earth to Maria!” Liz waves her arms in front of my face.

“Huh?” I must have spaced out there for a second.

Liz shakes her head. “I was just saying that wouldn’t it be interesting to see what our names would be like if we actually did marry someone we’ve known forever.”

Oh! Wow, that’s right the depressing subject Liz. Way to put a hamper on my good mood. Looking at her, I snicker. “What…you mean like Elizabeth Evans?”

Liz scrunches her up face like she just got a whiff of a really bad smell. “You’re disgusting.”

She then leans over and gives me a hard push, nearly causing me to fall off the bed and I’m laughing so hard I can barely talk. “What….what…about El…Elizabeth Val…Valen…Valenti…” I choke out. Oh God, I crack myself up, I should really be a comedian…Elizabeth Valenti…ha ha! Liz pushes me harder, this time sending me off the bed where I’m too amused to care so I just lay there, continuing my giggle fit on the floor.

“Whatever, Maria Sohn.” She smirks at me and crosses her arms over her chest looking quite impressed. I stop laughing almost instantly. I dated Doug Sohn in the eighth grade for about five seconds before he attacked me with his mouth and tried to swallow not only my tongue but my tonsils as well and then proceeded to stalk me for the rest of my high school career. I actually begged my mom to get a restraining order at one point.

I shake my head at her, but she’s right, this is kind of fun…that is until I see her coming back with notepad and pen along with the yearbook.

“You want to write this down?” I gasp in shock.

“Oh yeah,” she wiggles her eyebrows, “I want to remember this.” She flashes me a big grin, grabbing a pillow and plopping her things down on the floor near me and giggles when she sees the crazy look I’m definitely giving her. She’s been abducted, there’s no doubt about it. “Close your mouth Maria, you’re going to catch flies.”

I grumble as I swipe my pillow against her. “Very funny, Lizzy Parker.”

She giggles at me. “What? It’s true.”

I roll my eyes at her and stretch my body along the floor. “Okay…so say hypothetically, if we were to really marry someone we know, who would that be? I mean, I barely like to talk to, let alone be in the same room with half of the males in our senior class and I don’t know a single guy beyond that that I would ever want to spend the rest of my life with.”

“Oh cheer up grumpy,” Liz pushes the yearbook between us and starts flipping through the pages. “I’m sure we can find someone that you would like. After all, you did date Doug Sohn…and we all know that every guy is a step up from that.” She giggles and I swipe my pillow at her again.

“Keep the jokes coming Lizzy and I’ll tell Max Evans that you used to have a crush on him in third grade.”

Liz whips her head around and fixes me with a glare. Aha! I got her attention, serves her right. "You will do no such thing Maria, Max...ugh...Max will not let me see the light of day if he ever finds out about that. Besides, that was so long ago…that the last thing I would ever want to do would be to date him. Not to mention that he's the opposite of everything I want in a guy...he's sexist, he's a republican, and he's got enough money to buy a small country yet he still feels the need to apply for scholarships instead of letting them go to someone who actually needs them. I may love Max, but not in that way...that would just be completely wrong...." She trails off and I raise a disbelieving eyebrow at her. Please, am I the only one that sees that both of them have this constant flirty vibe-thing going on around them? "Promise me, Maria." she looks at me with a serious expression and sticks out her pinky finger.

Oh God, not the pinky finger…man! Liz and I have this rule where if we pinky swear to something, no matter what it is, we can never go back on it. And considering that we rarely pull out the pinky these days…I know she’s serious.

“Fine, I pinky swear that I won’t tell Max Evans you used to have a crush on him.” I drabble out as I hook my pinky finger into hers and shake. Damn…that would really have been a good one too.

“Good,” she turns back to the year book. “Okay, what about…Whitman.” She looks at me and smirks…”Maria Eloise Whitman…hmm, has a nice ring to it.”

I glare at her but have to admit to myself that it actually does have a nice ring to it. I used to play around with it when I was first learning how to write my name. In kindergarten, I used to tell my mom that I was going to be Mrs. Maria Whitman when I grow up but that was only because our other best friend, Alex has a very hot brother. “Write that one down.” I tell her.

Liz is now looking at me like I’m the one that’s been abducted by aliens. Hey! It wasn’t my idea to act like 16 year olds tonight. Humph! The nerve! “He’s married Maria! And that’s kinda gross.”

“Not Alex, Daniel!” Duh! I know Alex is married, in fact the last time we saw him, it was on his wedding day, after which he took off to follow his wife Isabel in her dream to be a supermodel.

“He’s married too!” She gasps in astonishment.

Okay, she’s got me there. Unfortunately, Daniel has been off the market for quite a few years now, but hey, if he ever gets a divorce and I find myself available, I don’t see how it could hurt to provide him with a little bit of comfort in the bedroom for a few hours. “And your point being?”

Liz just shakes her head at me before writing it down in the notebook. Mmm…yeah, she knows she would jump in the sack with him if she could.

“Okay do me!” She pushes the yearbook towards me.

I scour the year book, seeking out the perfect name for her and there it is…staring me in the face and I can’t help the sly smile that suddenly creeps up my face. “Elizabeth Ann DeLuca.” I don’t stand a chance as Liz grabs the yearbook, fast as lightening and decides to thwap me on the head with it. Ow! That hurt.

Michael

I’m bored and completely plastered which is probably one of the reasons why I decided to sneak into the house tonight. I have my own apartment above the garage, but my sister still lives in the house while she attends grad school and thus can provide hours of entertainment for me whenever I want. Especially when I’m drunk. And even better when Maria’s there to bug too.

I’ve never understood why the two of them choose to hang out here. Maria’s got her own apartment, a damn nice apartment too, but they still choose to sit in my sister’s tiny ass room acting like they’re 16 again and whispering about boys all night long. More specifically, boys they don’t stand a chance in hell with, like Johnny Depp, Ewan McGregor, and Gerard Butler. Crazy man! Chicks are insane.

I’m a little disappointed when I see Liz’s door open and no Liz in sight, but at least Maria’s there. She’s got her head bent over a book and small notebook in her hands with a wicked grin on her face as she writes something down. I walk in as quietly as I can which isn’t very easy considering the amount of beers I’ve had tonight and snatch the paper out from under her before she gets a chance to react.

“Hey!”

Ouch…I cringe and cover my ears. Well if mom and dad aren’t already awake, they sure would be now. DeLuca’s got a mouth on her, always has and she doesn’t have any concept of an inside voice. My eyes scan the piece of paper quickly. What the fuck! The paper’s split into two columns, one for Maria and the other for Liz. It reminds me of the time I caught them playing MASH when they were in middle school. There are a ton of names, all with their own variations but only in the last name. As I look at it closely, I realize that they’re all names I know: Whitman, Sohn, Valenti, and Evans. Some are crossed out, some are circled and there’s even a few with a heart next to them like Whitman. “What the hell are you two doing?”

“Nothing.” Maria’s face is turning a deep shade of red and I have now found my entertainment for the evening as she reaches out to snatch the notebook out of my hands.

Fortunately for me, DeLuca’s always been short and not very athletic, so it’s easy for me to hold it just out of her reach while she jumps around like a little kid trying to steal it back. Eventually, she jumps onto Liz’s bed hoping to get the height advantage but once again I’m too quick for her as I jump on the bed as well, enjoying the agitated look on her face.

“Is this a list of the men you want to marry DeLuca?”

She huffs and snarls at me, and for a second I wonder if she’s actually going to try and attack me for it. “No!”

I laugh and hold it above my head as I read it, glad that I’m not too drunk that the words would be blurry before my eyes. “Maria Eloise Whitman?” I ask her with a smirk. I never knew she had a thing for Whitman. I wonder if her mom knew that whenever she would allow them to have co-ed sleepovers all the time. “Alex, Maria? Really? He’s married.” I tease.

“Shut up, Parker.”

Speaking of Parker, there’s not a single Parker on this list. I’ve know her since she was in diapers, so I would think that I at least would warrant an honorable mention. After all, Doug Sohn’s on her list and the whole town knows how she feels about him, and even Evans’ is on Liz’s list and considering how clueless she is about him, that’s really saying something. “Why aren’t I on this list?” I should be, after all, I’m young, hot, and from what I’ve been told, absolutely amazing in the bedroom. I grin.

“Are you proposing Parker?” She asks me with a raised eyebrow.

What? Is she serious? This girl knows me better than that, as far as I’m concerned, Maria’s still got cooties. “No way, but you can’t deny that I’m sexy.” I wiggle my eyebrows at her and smirk.

She actually snorts at me and I raise an eyebrow. I know she knows I’m sexy. She walked in on me in the shower once and we have one of those clear shower-curtains…yeah, let’s just say that Maria couldn’t look me in the eye or stop blushing every time she saw me for days. Well…I am pretty well endowed, if I can say so myself. “Just give it back, Michael!”

“No, uh uh! You didn’t say the magic words.” I tsk my finger at her and if anything, her face becomes even redder than before as if it’s even possible at this point.

“Give it back before I knee you in family jewels.” She stomps her foot on the bed and almost slips and I can’t help but laugh.

Yeah right…like her knee could even reach that far. “Those aren’t the magic words Maria. Now let’s see, Maria Eloise Parker.”

Maria’s face scrunches up and she looks at me like I’m insane. “Gee, now I know why it’s not on there. It sounds like crap.”

Actually, it doesn’t sound half bad, but like I’d tell her that. Wouldn’t want her to get the wrong idea after all, not that it really matters anyways. “Yeah, you’re right. Hmmm…what about Maria Eloise Guerin?” I ask, raising an eyebrow. You know, that actually doesn’t sound bad at all…I lean in, actually interested in what she has to say about it.

She pauses in her endeavor to steal the notebook back, thinking about it for a minute. “I don’t know anyone named Guerin.”

I can’t help but smirk at her. I was planning on bugging Liz with this little piece of information, but she’s somewhere else and Maria’s here. Besides, it’ll be just as fun when Maria drops the bomb on Liz, I just hope that I can be around to see her reaction. “You do now.” I reach into my back pocket, pulling out the piece of paper I got from the social security office today and hand it to her. It cost me a small fortune, but I think it's well worth it.

She timidly reaches out to take the paper from me like she’s afraid it’ll bite her and while she’s distracted reading it, I take the notebook and move it into the back pocket of my jeans. Teasing Maria was fun, but teasing Liz with it later will be even more fun. Unfolding it, I watch as her mouth drops open for a moment as she stares at it, then shakes her head with obvious disapproval. I don’t know why she’d disapprove; Maria does crazy shit all the time too.

“You changed your name to Guerin?” Her voice sounds slightly sad but I chalk it up to my imagination. There’s no way Maria would be sad about something like this, it doesn’t even have anything to do with her.

“DAD!” I hear Liz shriek and turn to look at the doorway just in time to see her turn around and dash down the stairs.

Oh, this worked out just perfectly.
Last edited by The Mad Hatters on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 21 times in total.
The Mad Hatters
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Shall We Never Get Older (AU,CC,Adult) Chapter 1 01/11/

Jason’s Lover – Thank you, hope you enjoy the next chapter too.

mary mary – Lol…the first two chapters are really flukes. They are acting childish but they are also well aware of it. Do they normally act this childish? No. Would any of them act like this in front of say, they’re professors? Most likely not…but in the first two chapters, they are knowingly teasing and annoying each other. It gets worse in chapter 2, so be prepared…but we promise, once chapter 3 rolls around, you will start to see how our characters really behave. It’s not all immature, hope you stick through.

nibbles2 – We checked, double checked…and yep, triple checked. 22 and 26, but don’t worry, they’ll come around. Glad you enjoyed. Thanks.

keepsmiling7 – Thanks…hope you like the next chapter.

begonia9508 – Thanks, we had a great time writing the scene. And Michael might just surprise you.

angiebrenna – Thank you. Hope you enjoy the next one too.

Thank you so much for the feedback again everyone. It made our week. :)

CHAPTER TWO

Liz

“Dad!” I shout and make a mad dash for the stairs. I was walking back into my room just in time to hear Maria questioning Michael about changing his name. What the hell! My brother is crazy! He’s 26 years old, he lives at home in the apartment my parents made for him and despite the fact that we put a kitchenette in there for him, he doesn’t even bother to buy his own food but instead comes into the house to mooch up all of ours.

“Dad!” I shout again, wondering where they are. I mean, what the hell was he thinking? Better, how could he even think about changing his name? It’s the most disrespectful thing I can think of. It’s not like I can carry on the Parker name, I didn’t get the penis, he did! He’s probably drunk right now! Idiot, I swear his eyes looked it!

“Dad!” I scream one more time, jumping the last few steps to the bottom and finding my parents calmly sitting on the couch, snuggled up and watching the news.

What’s wrong Liz?” My dad asks me as if he doesn’t already know that Michael’s done something completely crazy and insane again. Crazy! I swear I live with a demented family. I mean, there are only two people who can make me act like this and get me all wound up; one is my brother and the other is Max Evans but thankfully for him, he’s nowhere in sight right now or I swear I would be forced to kick him in the ass too, just for good measure.

I hear thumping coming from behind me and see Maria followed by Michael barreling down the stairs. “Liz,” Maria says warningly but I ignore her. I know Michael and Maria have some sort of weird type of friendship going on between the two of them, but this is really something my dad needs to know. God, why did my parents have another kid before me? Grave mistake, grave, grave mistake.

“Michael changed his name!” I blurt and point towards him in disbelief and wait for the fireworks to start. Our parents have always been cool but I don’t think even they’re this cool.

“Really? What to?” Dad asks genuinely curious and I want to smack myself in the head. It’s always been the same with them. Do they really not care?

“Guerin.” Michael smirks.

“Why?” I hear mom ask and I can’t help but smile a huge smile. Thank God for mom, she looks properly stricken, she’ll get him.

“Guerin? Like Bill Guerin? The hockey player?” Dad asks sounding impressed. What the hell? Isn’t it in the male genetic makeup or something for a son to want to carry on their family lineage? But ohhh, just because the name comes from some famous Hockey Player, it’s okay? Hmmp, apparently, Michael isn’t the only crazy one in my family.

“Yeah…It sounds better than Parker,” Michael shrugs, “plus I think it gives me that whole mysterious vibe that chicks dig. Parker’s so ordinary, but Guerin, Guerin’s unique.”

I hear Maria snort from somewhere behind me and I’m glad that I’m not the only one who thinks this whole conversation is absolutely ridiculous. Sometimes, I feel like I’m the only sane person in my family…well mom still looks upset though.

“Please tell me you didn’t do this while you were drunk?” Yeah…go Mom!

A-huh! I was right, Michael’s been drinking! I mean, here I am 22 years old, the age where drinking like a fish is thoroughly acceptable yet I hardly ever get drunk, but he on the other hand is 26. He should be settling down, buying a house and making little mini Parkers….or Guerin’s I guess, not partying every night.

Michael looks around innocently and Mom just shakes her head. What, no…come on, yell, scream, do something. I wait for her to say some something, anything, but there’s nothing. She just shakes her head. Ahh, come on. “Dad!” I shout, maybe if I scream loud enough, some sense will leak into his brain and he’ll finally do what any normal father would do and that is to start lecturing Michael. Please, any parent would be mad that their only son changed their last name, but no, he’s just looking at me like I’m the ridiculous one. Uh, hello? University of New Mexico State Graduate student here! 4.0 GPA, double major in biochemistry and biophysics. Michael didn’t even go to college. I give Dad my incredulous look. C'mon, I realize that I’m acting extremely childish right now but Michael just changed his last name, how does that not warrant an uproar? And yeah, maybe I should have handled this better, but still, I can’t help it when it comes to Michael. He’s the only one that can turn me into a tattling fifteen year old in a matter of seconds, it’s like I’m cursed.

“What? He’s an adult and he can do what he wants. If you want to change your name as well Liz, you’re more than welcome to.”

I close my eyes and throw my hands up. Why did I even bother? It's not like they can actually do anything about it anyways. Without another word, I turn and start walking up the stairs. I'm only half way up there before I realize that Maria's not following me. "Maria!"

With a long drawn out sigh, Maria gives a small wave to my family before turning around and following me up the stairs. I run into my room and quickly get back into my position on the bed, hoping that our game will help lighten me up some. There’s only one problem though, the notebook’s missing. “Maria?”

She looks at me a little confused before flopping down on the bed. “What?”

“Where’d the notebook go?”

“Shit!”

MICHAEL

I follow DeLuca up the stairs and notice her tight little ass swaying back and forth. Aww…how cute. DeLuca finally grew out of her tomboy phase and finally got some junk in the trunk. I’ll have to make sure to tease her about it next time.

She walks into Liz’s room without noticing me and I can’t help but smirk as I pull out the notebook from my back pocket. My dear little sister is gonna learn not to tattle.

I make my way through the hallway, quickly entering the side door to my apartment. I just hope Max’s home right now, this would all go much smoother if he was. See, the good thing about Max Evans, other than the fact that he makes fun of my sister just as much as I do is that he’s always got my back. He’s four years younger than me but we’ve become practically best friends over the years. Not so much when we were younger, but once after we spent a summer together coaching the youth baseball and basketball teams to state championships. Max has gotten me out of some tight spots over the years and in turn I introduced his sister Isabel to Alex. Okay…so it really isn’t the same thing, but I did give him the push to create his website idea. See, Max has been working on an internet prototype module of some kind, it’s suppose to allow you to graph images online while giving you the tools to manipulate them in phases. I don’t really understand it, but its sounds cool and if what Max says is true, it could prove to be very helpful to someone who needs that kind of thing. But the best thing about Maxwell is that when it comes to pigeon peas and carrot stick across the hall, he’s my partner in crime.

Turning on the computer, I quickly pull up my video chat and ping Max.

“Hey man, you on?”

Max’s grumpy ass face looks back at me. “Yeah just got up, what the heck do you want?” Max is a grouch after he wakes up, even more so if he’s been drinking the night before. I thought I was bad, but I’m a wuss compared to Max in that category.

“I have a list here that might interest you.” I lift the notebook up so he can see. "Pertinent information about someone that wants to marry you.” I figure I’ve only got about three minutes before Liz and Maria barge in here so I better make this quick.

“Yeah? Well make it quick…my shift starts in less than two hours and I need to get dressed and ready.”

I roll my eyes, I don’t think the words have fully hit him yet; he’s probably still half asleep. Oh well, I still plan on pulling this out of him because once he realizes who I’m talking about, he’s never going to let Liz live this down. “Guess who wants in your pants?”

“Michael, if this is another one of your Courtney jokes—“

“It’s your favorite six letter word.”

“LIZARD!”

“MICHAEL!” My apartment door bangs open just as Max guesses the name.

Liz looks stricken, her eyes wide as she notices the notebook in my hands and Max’s face on the computer screen. “What’re you doing?” She asks me as she steps closer and I hide the notebook behind my back. Behind her, I see Maria, her hand over her mouth like she can’t believe it. Wow, I think I just made DeLuca speechless. Epic.

“Nothing,” I answer, “just having a private conversation with Max just like I was having a private conversation with Maria earlier.” Her face is starting to redden and she’s getting that fierce expression she gets anytime I really piss her off. Whatever, she deserves it. What if I didn’t want to tell mom and dad about changing my last name?

Liz charges at me and I hop off my chair and make a dash towards my couch…Oh hell no, I’m not going to give up that easy. ”Give it back, Michael” She yells as she catches up to me, punching me in the shoulder. I manage to push her away with one hand, geeze what a lightweight. “Michael, give it back!”

“No way,” I push her away again and hold the notebook above my head. “Uh-uh-uh, you know the rules little Lizard, finders keepers, loser’s weepers.” I laugh when I hear Max say ‘here, here’, causing Liz turn a brighter shade of red as she pummels into me from my side. I just push her away again. “Interesting list you have here Lizzy, so tell me, what does this heart mean around Max Evan’s name?” There actually isn’t a heart, more like numerous death skulls, but what Max doesn’t know can’t hurt him right?

“Shut up, you idiot, there is no heart! Now, give it back Michael,” she punches me, “this isn’t funny.”

“No you’re right,” I managed to push Liz away again and then rub my jaw thoughtfully. “This isn’t funny.
This is a matter of serious importance.” I point towards the notebook and thump it once for good measure. “It’s a matter of LOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVE.”

Behind me, I hear Maria giggle and I nod my head in approval.

“MARIA!” Liz whirls around and fixes her with a glare. Oh…sure glad I’m not Maria right now, Lizard’s being scary.

“What?” Maria pretends to look innocent, but she’s not doing a very good job of it. I’ll have to teach her the mean Guerin look one of these days.

“See,” I stroll over to Maria who’s now sitting on my bed and flop down next to her, watching as she bounces and almost falls off the bed. Guess she didn’t know this was a water bed. Quickly catching her so she doesn’t fall, I pull her close and look at Liz. “You should really listen to us Lizard, we know what’s good for you munchkin.”

I watch as Liz bristles with anger at being called Lizard…damn, she must have not caught it when Evans’ had said it earlier. Beside me, I feel Maria squirming out of my grasp and I tighten my arm around her. Oh hell no, if I’m going down, I’m taking my DeLuca with me.

“Liz…” Maria interjects and I look down at her and raise an eyebrow. What’s she going to do? But before I can even think about it, Maria pushes me onto my bed and grabs the notebook, throwing it at Liz. NOOOOOOO! Fuck! I reach to grab it but Liz’s already got it and she’s out the door. Damnit! That was my ticket! Feeling Maria still struggling in my grasp, I push her down and climb on top of her. Paybacks a bitch!

“You’ve been a naughty girl DeLuca.” I look down at her and smirk. She’s still trying to push me away but it’s only because she knows what’s coming. Oh yeah, I slide my hands down on to her sides and start tickling her. Maria’s the most ticklish person I know, all you have to do is poke her and she starts to giggle. I can’t help but laugh when she starts squirming against me, her face going red.

“Michael, stop!” She tries to kick me off of her, but there’s no way in hell that I’m letting her go now.

“Ahh c'mon, Maria, you should know that bad girls get punished…hell, you’re a master at it.” I move down and lift her shirt and start blowing raspberries across her stomach. She hates it and I love it!

“MICHAEL, noooooooo, plea…please…Michael” She yanks at my hair, but I’m not relenting, until…well what do we have here? I lift my head and raise an eyebrow at her. “You got a tattoo?” I lift her shirt higher to see all of it and she quickly pushes me away causing me to fall off the bed.

“Since when do you have a tattoo?” I question her as she gets up, pushing her shirt down, her chest heaving as she tries to fix her hair.

“None of your fucking business Parker!” She moves to walk away, but I quickly yank her down with me.

“Does Amy know?” I ask her. It is a well known fact that Amy hates tattoos. For some odd reason she think its evil or a sin or something like that. I watch as Maria flushes red and I just got my answer. Well this is good, I’ve been looking for dirt on Maria for a while now, unfortunately, she hasn’t been doing much other than working lately.

“Ahhhhh…she’s so going to kill you!” I laugh and shake my head at her when she flushes red again.

“Shut up!” She pushes me. “It’s my body and I can do what I want with it.”

True, I can contest to that as I already have four tattoos and looking to get another one. But, who knew that little Miss Maria Eloise would want a tattoo as well.

“Besides, I’m 22 years old and I don’t need yours, my mom’s or anyone else’s permission!” She’s getting angry now.

“Well, I think it’s hot, makes you seem sexier, who knew huh?” I push my fingers through my hair and grin at her.

She looks at me curiously for a second and then pushes me, “shut up,” before walking out the door.
~~~
Last edited by The Mad Hatters on Tue May 03, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Mad Hatters
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Shall We Never Get Older (AU,CC,Adult) Chapter 2 01/18/

twilight – Glad you found it funny and enjoyable. And as far as Max and Liz go, chapter 4 is for you.

begonia9508 – Glad you’re enjoying the story so far. Michael is not adopted. Jeff and Nancy want their kids to be happy and have a very laid back approach to dealing with their children. They want them to make their own mistakes and learn from them. And even though they reacted calmly, it doesn’t mean that they don’t have their own thoughts. Numerous factors are at play here and you will get more insight to that later.

mary mary – Gasp! And deprive herself of possible future nephews and nieces??? We think not! But you’re right; it probably would’ve been a more effective method of getting the notebook back. We’re not promising that they all still won’t have their childish moments, but it does get better from here on out. Glad you’re still with us.

nibbles2 – Lol, valium and alcohol eh? Well it’s an interesting theory and could entirely be possible, just not this fic. And as far as pigeon peas and carrot sticks go – we think Liz is most likely the pigeon peas and Maria the Carrot stick, but we’re also willing to bet that Michael uses them interchangeably. Glad you’re enjoying the story so far.

CHAPTER THREE

Maria

I walk back into Liz’s room, grumbling and running my hands through my sides. I hate being tickled and Michael’s the worst of them because he always seems to know where to target. I see Liz sitting at her desk, her cell phone in her hands and she’s nodding her head with brief interjects of “uh-huhs.”

She gives me a pleading look from across the room and I know that whatever it is, it just ruined our plans for tonight. Crap! We haven’t had a girls’ day in months and I was really looking forward to it. This has been the first time I’ve had a full week off from work and I was really looking forward to just relaxing and spending some time with Liz.

My mom’s away for the entire week with her “new” family and didn’t even bother to ask me if I wanted to come. She just assumed that I couldn’t take the time off and carried on with her plans. By the time I found out, she had already booked the hotels and trip for her, Mark – her new husband and my new step dad, and his three kids.

“Maria…” I can already tell by her voice that I’m right. “You mind if I cut girls’ night early tonight? Mr. Garrison just called me for work and I really—"

“Liz, its fine.” I look at her. “I know how much of a prick your boss is and we’re saving up to go skiing during Christmas…so it’s cool.”

“You sure?” She looks at me a little tentatively. Damn, I must really sound and look pathetic right now. “I mean, I know you’ve been stressed out at work lately—and don’t even try to deny it Maria, I know you—“

“Liz…it’s okay! I swear. Besides, I got loads of stuff to do at home that I’ve been neglecting.” Not true, not true, not true…but the girl needs the job, so what am I going to say?

“Okay…thanks Maria,” she smiles and gives me a hug before hopping over to her closet to get her clothes.

“So get this. Someone famous is coming to Roswell!”

“Who?” I immediately jump on the bed, eager for the gossip. No one comes to Roswell except for UFO nuts and those are people I steer clear from (no pun intended).

“I don’t know.” Liz whirls around and lifts up two shirts with a raised eyebrow. I point to the red one and she nods as she puts the other one back and starts to get dressed. “But…that’s why I’m being called in tonight. Apparently, they’re staying at our hotel and Mr. Garrison is calling an emergency meeting to ensure that everything goes smoothly. Apparently it’s so low key that Garrison didn’t even know that they were arriving till just a couple hours ago.”

“Wow…” I scrunch my nose up in bewilderment, “But wait…who in their right minds would want to come to Roswell? I mean, even if I was a nobody, I would still stay steer clear of this hell-hole.”

Liz chuckles and rolls her eyes. “Such the pessimist Maria, you have to think outside the box. What if it was Johnny Depp?” She looks at me with gleam in her eyes and huge smile on her face.

My mouth drops open. She’s right, it could be Johnny Depp. “Oh my God, oh my God, Liz…you have to tell me who it is as soon as you find out. Text me, call me, just find a way and tell me!”

Liz rolls her eyes and moves to put her shoes on. “It’s probably no one we really want to know anyways. Besides, I’m willing to bet that Garrison’s probably going to make us sign our lives on the dotted line before we leave tonight. But, who knows, I’ll see what I can do.” She stands up and puts the finishing touches on her hair before grabbing her purse and twirling around. “So how do I look?”

“Gorgeous.” I exclaim before joining her down the stairs where Michael’s there fixing a sandwich. Ughh…does he never stop eating? I swear, he eats more than anyone I know.

“Hey, where are you two going?” He frowns when he notices that Liz is dressed and I’m not. Jerk.

“I’m going to work, got called in and yadda, yadda, yadda.” She grabs an apple from the fruit bowl before turning and looking at me.

“Seriously, Maria, you’re really okay with me ditching you for tonight?”

She says this after she’s dressed? I give her crazy look and push her towards the door. “Yes, go, go, go! You have to tell me who the famous person is.”

“Famous person, what famous person?” Michael comes around the counter and leans next to me, a huge sandwich in his hands.

“Apparently, someone famous is coming to Roswell and they’re staying at the Desert Sun.” I look at Michael and give him a wink.

I watch a slew of expressions cross his face. “Who? Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Aniston, Jessica Alba?” He sounds like a puppy dog that’s going to get his first bone. I shake my head and look at Liz.

“What? Why are you looking at me?” Liz shakes her head and shrugs, “I don’t know who it is yet. Heck, for all I know, it’s probably going to be Betty White.”

“SCORE!” Michael nods his head and takes a big mouthful. God, he’s disgusting sometimes.

“Betty White? Seriously?” I turn to look at him.

“What…she’s hot for an old person. ‘Sides, you’re just jealous ‘cause she’s got huge hooters.” He gives me a wink and takes another huge bite.

I scowl and cross my arms over my chest. I can’t believe I just lost to an OLD person. Stupid Michael, uhg, I hate him sometimes. I know I’m small, but damnit.

“Whatever, anyways, I gotta go, or I’ll be late. BYeeee” Liz yells as she walks out the door and I wave goodbye.

I look over at Michael and raise my eyebrow. “Jerk!” I lightly punch him in the gut and steal his sandwich before running up the stairs.

I hear him running after me and I know that he’ll have me in no time, but still I run faster, hoping that he doesn’t. Strong arms close around my waist and before I know it, we’re both rapidly falling down the stairs. Ow, ow, ow, ow! I push Michael off of me.

“Ouch jerk. I’m not a football player you know.”

“Sorry.” Michael stands up, pulling me up along with him before examining me for injuries. Hmmm…you know, this is normally my job, but it’s really kind of nice to have someone else taking care of me for a change. “You okay?”

“I’m fine.” It’s so weird, Michael can be the biggest prick in the world sometimes, but deep down he’s a really sweet guy. I doubt he’d ever let anything happen to me or Liz…now if he could just grow up a bit, he’ll make a good husband someday. Although with his reputation in Roswell, he’ll probably have to move first. “Anyways, we should call a truce. I have to go pack.”

“What….why? Where’re you going?” He looks at me with a genuinely confused expression and I almost have to snort.

“Home, where else?

“But it’s raining; you should just stay and hang out with me. We can watch a movie or something, plus I have a bottle of tequila in my freezer.”

I shake my head and laugh. Oh God, the last time Michael said he had tequila in his freezer was the last time I ever touched that stuff. “You know…I’m tired and to tell you the truth, I really don’t feel like going to work on Monday with ‘Michael Parker’s Sexy’ written on my face in permanent maker.” I cross my arms and try to glare at him but he in turn pouts his best puppy dog expression at me and I can immediately feel myself giving in. I hate him.

“C'mon, promise I won’t do that, unless…you…uh…just don’t want to.” He gives me a small smile before fixing me with an innocent expression.

What? I scrunch my nose up. Since when does Michael care about what I do and do not want to do? He usually just drags me along no matter what it is. I shake my head; something has to be up with him. He’s been drinking, which he hasn’t done in a long time, he changed his last name, which I still can’t believe, and he’s choosing to spend the night with me instead of partying it up somewhere.

“No…yes, no, I mean, why the hell not. But just promise me that you will NOT and I repeat not, under any circumstance write on my face tonight. Seriously Michael, I’m not going to walk around for a week with your name tattooed across my forehead.”

“Scouts honor,” he raises his right hand up and gives me a salute before dragging me towards the couch. “So, what’re you in the mood for. I’m really not sure what we have here anymore,” he searches through the box of DVDs’ while I stretch myself on the couch, grabbing a bunch of pillows and the afghan from the other side before settling in. “Um…anything’s fine, just as long as it’s not overtly stupid or horror, not much in the mood for scary movies tonight.”

“Kay…” He picks something out and puts it in the DVD player before grabbing the remote and heading my way. “Wow, got some room for me? You’re looking pretty bundled up there.”

I roll my eyes and lift the afghan up so he can join me. But instead of scooting in beside me, he climbs over and behind me, adjusting his body several times until he’s finally found a comfortable position: one arm underneath his head and the other draped over my stomach. “Comfortable?”

Surprisingly yes. Michael’s actually quite comfortable to lie with and his body seems to radiate heat. Oh yeah, I doubt that we’re even going to get through the movie tonight, he’s already making me sleepy.

“Yeah,” I whisper before snuggling even deeper into him. We’re just lying there in silence for a few minutes, watching the previews until it finally lands on the main menu and to my surprise, I’m shocked that he actually put in a decent movie this time. I was expecting The Matrix or Michael’s all time favorite Braveheart, but instead, I get Dragonheart. “Didn’t realize that you were into fantasy.”

I feel him shrug behind me. “I like Sean Connery.”

I snort. “Of course you do.” Every man likes Sean Connery. It’s like it’s engineered into the male gene or something. Said person cannot be a true male if he does not willingly want to participate in a threesome with the great all mighty Sean Connery! – Law recorded in Darwin’s book of evolution. Circa Reference: 19.7 bazzillion years ago.

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

I shake my head trying to hold back my giggles. Michael’s not a homophobe or anything, but he’s probably one of the straightest straight guys I know and I really don’t think he would appreciate my thoughts right now, but of course, my mouth just has to open without my permission. “Would you go gay for Sean Connery?” It’s supposed to be a joke but it comes out sounding so serious that Michael actually chokes on his own spit.

“What?”

“Would you go gay for Sean Connery?” I repeat, turning a little so that I can actually see his face.

“What kind of question is that?” He actually looks uncomfortable, could it be? Nah…this is Michael we’re talking about. His first rule of thumb is: ‘when in doubt, pull it out.’

“Just answer the question Michael, yes or no?”

He looks down at me and smirks. “I would if Betty White would join us in a threesome.” And despite how disgusting that image is, I actually find myself laughing.

“You totally would, wouldn’t you?” I turn back around, readjusting myself to get comfortable again when I feel him bend down and whisper in a low voice. “If you’d join me too, yeah, I would.”

For some odd reason, I suddenly break out into Goosebumps and shiver. Not saying anything back, I just sink deeper into the couch and Michael before turning my attention back to the TV screen.

We’re probably halfway through the movie when I feel Michael shift behind me. Turning my head to look, I notice that Michael’s not even watching the movie. His eyes are fixated on some random point in the corner of the room and he’s got a serious almost hurt-like expression on his face.

I frown slightly. His behavior has seemed off all night and I don’t know what his deal is. I mean, he asked me to watch a movie with him but he’s not even paying attention, it’s so un-like Michael. “Okay, what’s up with you?”

“Huh?” He looks at me with a confused expression before moving his hand to scratch his eyebrow and that clinches it for me. You see, Michael has a tell. He does it when he’s bluffing at poker, when there’s something bothering him, and whenever he lies. Liz hasn’t seemed to have caught onto it yet, which is strange considering she’s known Michael from the moment she opened her eyes in this world…but who knows, I'm guessing it's a sibling thing.

“You’re scratching your eyebrow Michael.” Michael’s hand goes back to its previous position and I roll my eyes. Yeah, like that’s gonna help. He’s already given himself away and I don’t give up that easily. “You going to talk to me?”

He lets out a deep sigh. “You promise not to laugh?” He gives me probably the most serious expression I think he’s capable of and I find myself praying that it’s not something bad. I answer him with a small nod and it seems to be enough for him because he opens his mouth to speak. “About eighteen months ago, I was with some friends, hanging out in a bar. I was really drunk and my friend Steve…you remember Steve right?”

I nod again, encouraging him to continue. “Well, Steve had just graduated from the local police academy and I had spent all night giving him shit for it. Well, one thing lead to another and…anyways, he ended up betting me a thousand dollars that I’d never be able to make it through the academy let alone make it as a cop.” I watch his eyes dart around as he shifts uncomfortably. “So I took him up on it, I made it into the academy and I dunno, I guess…somewhere along the lines it stopped being a joke.” He gives me a small smile before scratching his eyebrow again. “Anyways, I graduate in two weeks, but tomorrow’s my state exam and…and I’m just scared that I’m not going to pass.”

I’m sure I look startled. Michael, a cop? Michael, who used to smoke weed in public places, impulsive Michael who likes to do things for no rhyme or reason and doesn’t care if it’s breaking the rules? Michael, who’s probably the only person in this town whose police record rivals that of my own mother, wants to be a cop? I feel like the world is coming to an end because there’s no way that this is possible, but it is and even though I’m probably the first person who would ever give Michael a hard time about it, he sounds so passionate about it that I just can’t.

“I think I’d make a really good cop. I mean I know I’m a screw up, hell I know I have a reputation for being a screw up, but I want to help people. That and this is the first time that something has just clicked for me you know?”

“Yeah…” I find myself shaking my head and smiling. Michael really is a great guy and before I even know what I’m doing, I move in and give him a hug. “Wow Michael…that’s…that’s pretty awesome.” I tell him, truly impressed.

“Really?” He looks at me, a little unsure and shifts a little.

“Yeah,” I nod my head. “Very. So, tomorrow is your state exam and that’s why you’re so nervous?” I sit up so I can talk to him properly.

Michael scratches his eyebrow again. Yep, definitely nervous. “Um…yeah, I don’t know, I think I’m going to fail.” He sits up as well and gives me a smile which ends up looking more like a grimace. Aww. “It’s the second time I’m taking it.” He looks away as if embarrassed and I actually want to open my mouth in shock. Michael rarely ever becomes embarrassed. .

“I don’t know. It’s just…I went in there passing all the physical training and field aspects of it and flew with flying colors. Everyone at the academy was saying how I was going to be at the top of my class…and all I had left was the final written examination. I went in there thinking it would be a piece of cake just like the physical stuff, but bombed and…” He trails off and flops back onto the couch.

“But you’ve been studying for it right? He briefly nods his head and that’s really all the confirmation I need to know that he’ll do good. “Then I’m sure you’ll do well.” I know he will, Michael’s smart, he just doesn’t show it most of the time. And really, there hasn’t been one thing that when Michael puts his mind to, he doesn’t accomplish. I mean…he single handily raised six thousand dollars last year so that he could take the local youth baseball team to the state championship in Albuquerque.

He looks at me from his position on the couch and lifts his head. “Would you mind helping me study, maybe quiz me on some of the questions?”

“Sure!” Like he even had to ask, I was going down that road next. He nods and gets up from the couch. “Cool, just let me just grab my stuff.” He slides down the hardwood floor and around the corner but stops before he turns. “Hey Maria?” I look up. “Thanks!” he smiles happily at me before disappearing again.

It only takes about two minutes before Michael’s back again with a couple of books and a pen. “Okay, so this is the stuff I’m really having a hard time on. The conceptual stuff I know, as well as what to do in different scenarios…but it’s the little number facts that I’m having trouble with. Like on average, what are the normal reflex times of a person when they’re sober and when they’re intoxicated?”

I nod, seems easy enough. If Michael’s got the concepts down…all he needs to do now is memorize little facts here and there. I make room for him on the couch again and grab the paper, push a pillow behind me and start with question one.

It’s about one in the morning when we finally get done. I’m exhausted, Michael looks like he’s about ready to fall asleep and even I have to admit that based on the way we ran through these questions, even I could pass the exam.

We snuggle back up on the couch, putting the TV on the sy-fy channel and watch some weird show where a guy is trying to prove the existence of some mythical animal and whether or not ghosts exists on some naval ship. I try to keep my eyes open because the guy is just about to open the ghost-door…but, it’s just too much work…that…I…close my eyes…just for a little while...

I’m almost asleep when I feel Michael shift behind, his elbow hitting my shoulder. I pout. “Mitall”

“Sorry,” he mumbles before shifting again, this time, his arm coming out to hold me tighter. I snuggle back into him, ready to just fall asleep when he suddenly shifts again, taking the afghan with him. Ugh...I open my eyes and turn, ready to grab the blanket again when I notice that Michael’s still got a worried expression on his face. Closing my eyes for a moment, I sigh…maybe, it’s time to even out the odds a bit.

“Michael?”

Hmm?” He sounds sleepy. Maybe I should just leave it alone, but fair is fair and he did tell me something personal tonight, it just wouldn’t be right if I didn’t do the same. I already feel guilty as it is when it comes to Michael. “I think I’ve been replaced.”

My voice comes out so quiet that I wonder if he’s even heard me - part of me hopes that he hasn’t. I don’t like being vulnerable…even if I know that Michael will accept me regardless of anything I say or do, I just don’t like admitting my weaknesses. But finally I feel him raise himself up on his elbow. “What?”

I can feel his eyes on me but I don’t want to look at him as I say it. “I think Mom’s replaced me. She’s got a new husband, a new family, they went on vacation and she didn’t even bother to ask me if I wanted to come even though she knew for months and I could’ve requested the days off. She hardly ever calls me anymore….I’m not even sure she loves me anymore.” I take in a shuddering breath. It’s taking everything in me not to burst into tears. Admitting the truth hurts, and this is the first time I’ve ever said it out loud.

Michael doesn’t say anything. He doesn’t tell me I’m stupid or that it’s going to be okay or that’s it’s not true, instead he just lays back down, moving the arm that was once behind his head down and underneath me to hold me tighter to his body before he begins to gently stroke my hair, and I can’t help it anymore. In this moment, I feel safer than I’ve felt in a long time and the second I feel his lips on my head, the dam breaks and my tears release as I cry into his shirt.
~ ~ ~
Last edited by The Mad Hatters on Tue May 03, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The Mad Hatters
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Shall We Never Get Older (AU,CC,Adult) Chapter 3 01/25/11

begonia9508 – Thank you. And you might be on to something there…

nibbles2 – Thank you. Michael’s like an onion, he’s got layers.

sarammlover – Thanks! And we’re glad you liked it. And for Max and Liz…wait no more.

Alien_Friend – Thank you. We’re glad you’re liking it so far. Michael has a lot of heart in him, he still surprises us and we’re writing him.

keepsmiling7 – Thank you. Michael’s great, we have fun writing him.

StarCharms – Thank you. Glad you’re enjoying the fic so far. Friendship among our characters are very important…they definitely keep each other going. And glad you like Michael, he’s our favorite…but we might be just a tad biased.

CHAPTER FOUR

Liz

I pull my old beat up Chevy truck into the parking lot of the Desert Sun Hotel and immediately feel out of place. It doesn’t matter that I’ve been working here since I was eighteen or that I know this place like the back of my hand, I still have small-town-girl written all over me. And a poor small town girl at that, my Chevy is like a Vera Bradley sitting in-between a Prada sports car and an Armani Hummer.

The Desert Sun is Roswell’s most high end and prominent hotel, and although that’s not saying much because after all this is Roswell, New Mexico, it’s still pretty fancy. We get a lot of UFO nuts here and strangely enough, most of them are rich, but…I guess they’d have to be considering that they’re chasing something that still to this day has provided no conclusive evidence regarding extraterrestrial existence. Though, you won’t find me complaining, the UFO boom as has brought about a lot of business and tourism into a town that would otherwise still be considered pre-historic in comparison to other cities around the world.

I mean, Roswell may still be a small town, but it has been thriving into a central hub of activity in the past couple of years. Ever since multi-billionaire Brody Davis decided to make this shabby little town his home, he bought out the old UFO museum across the road from my parent’s diner and converted it into an innovating and high-tech computer company. Not exactly sure what they really produce other than digital cameras and computer software, but it has provided a good amount of humor over the years. See Brody has a crush on Maria and is always trying to get her to accept his invitation out for a date or something, despite the fact that he’s almost 12 years older than her. It’s actually pretty cute, because I think Maria genuinely likes Brody. I’m just not sure if it’s in the romantic way.

After struggling with my door for a few minutes, I finally manage to get it to open and take one step out only to jump back inside quickly when a shiny black BMW charges into the spot next to me. God damn Max Evans, leave it to him to try and run me over AND give me a heart attack at the same time.

I clutch the stitch of my shirt and watch as he gets out of his car, a stupid devil’s smirk on his face. “Hey, Lizard.”

“Are you trying to kill me?” I say jumping back out of my car, slamming the door shut and walking over to him for the sole purpose of kicking his toochie to china. Ever since he got that stupid car, he drives it like he’s the only driver on the road. So what if it goes fast and can maneuver in and out of small places most other cars would only dream of, it doesn’t mean that you have to drive it like a crazy person. Okay, well I’d probably drive like a crazy person if I had one too but that’s beside the point.

“What? You know I wouldn’t off hit you.” He puts his arm around me and gives me a tight squeeze before bending over and digging around in his car.

“Cutting it kind of close there, don’t you think?” Okay, so I know Max would never intentionally run me over, but does he always have to scare the hell out of me with that thing?

“Nope. I knew I was good.” He emerges from the car, ruining my view of his cute ass. It’s too bad I don’t actually hold any romantic feelings for Max because even I have to admit that he’s actually got a really hot body, but hey, my view of his perfect little toochie is replaced with a view of something even better: a double mocha chip frappachino; and I can’t help but lick my lips. Yum! And I know it’s mine because Max refuses to drink cold coffee.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.” I wrap my arms around his neck and give him a few quick pecks on the cheek before taking my coffee out of his hands and enjoying the first drink. Mmmm, so good.

“Forgive me for trying to run you over?” He jokes.

Oh yeah, I forgive him. I’ll forgive him for anything just as long as he keeps supplying me with Starbucks. Giving him another kiss on the cheek as my answer, I make sure to leave a large dollop of whipped cream there before moving towards the hotel. “So, I’m assuming Garrison called you in tonight as well?”

“Yeah, he was practically flipping out on the phone…I was having trouble just trying to figure out what he was saying. Do you know what’s going on?” He gives me a raised eyebrow and I roll my eyes. Why does he always assume that I know everything? Okay…so maybe most of the time I do, but that’s not always the case.

I shrug, “Something about a famous singer staying at the hotel and how Joey quit tonight.”

“Oh,” Max trails off as he looks ahead as if contemplating something. “So, who’s the famous singer?”

I give Max a disbelieving look before shaking my head. God, he’s just like Michael sometimes. “How should I know?”

“Well…you knew what we’re being called here for, sorry if I thought you knew who the singer was as well.”

I roll my eyes and keep walking. “Shut up, you’re just hoping it will be Shakira.”

“Hey,” Max lifts his fingers defensively. “A guy can only hope you know. Besides…” he looks at me and gives me a cocky grin, “You know you like Shakira; I bet you’d shag her too if you had the chance.” He wiggles his eyebrows and starts shimmying his chest, signing, “Whereverrr….whenever…we’re meant to be together, I’ll be there and you’ll be near, and that’s the deal my dear.”

I can’t help but snort as Max starts dancing around me, trying to wiggle his hips and shake his ass. Max maybe good at a lot of things, but dancing is definitely not one of them. “Oh God Max, please stop before you have us arrested for indecent exposure in a public area, God knows, dancing like that should never happen out in the open.”

Max stops and pouts…then grins. “So, you’re willing to let me give you a private show then? I promise to wear coconuts for my ta-tas if you put on that cheerleading outfit you wore for Halloween last year.” This time, it’s my turn to narrow my eyes at Max. I hate that outfit. It was supposed to be an adult small when I ordered in online from the Halloween costume store, but instead, they sent me a youth large and so the outfit ended up being wayyyy to small for me. My skirt was way too short and my boobs were nearly hanging out from the top, I felt like a slut that I had to have Max lend me his cape from his Dracula outfit to cover myself. Uhg, not a night I want to remember…ever.

“Shut up,” I retort again as he opens the door to the hotel only to be immediately met by a harassed looking Mr. Garrison ushering us in.

“Hey Mr. Garrison.” I say in greeting before hearing Max echo my words seconds later. When did he become my parrot?

Mr. Garrison doesn’t say anything until he ushers us into his office and has the door shut securely behind him.

“So, as you may already know since word travels faster than lightning in this town, Joey Moretti quit this afternoon, and we’ve had Kris Pyne check into the hotel this morning. He’s a-”

Oh my god. Did he just say what I think he said? I’ve completely zoned out on anything and everything Garrison’s saying right now because this is like a total dream come true. If I can’t have Johnny’s love child, then Kris Pyne is my second choice.

“Wait, did you say Kris Pyne?” I’m bouncing on my feet, please, please, please have said what I think you’ve said.

“Yes, he’s an up and coming movie star doing collaborative research for one of his upcoming roles and has decided that the best place to do that would be here. Therefore, I will need the two of you to be at his every beck and call, but please bear in mind that he’s quite demanding which is essentially part of the reason why I’m assigning the both of you to this task. You will need to keep these,” he tosses two pagers onto the desk, “on your person at all times and do NOT lose them. Also, take note right now that he is a night owl; he’s already stated that under no circumstance does he want to be disturbed during the daylight hours so… I’d like you both to stay at the hotel until he decides to call it for the day. And since I don’t exactly have an office for you to work in, you can set up room 318 as your base of operations while you’re on the hotel property. I’m sure I don’t have to tell you what a good review like this will do for our business so I’m trusting the both of you to utilize good judgment and act professionally at all times. Is that clear?”

I nod courteously, knowing that it might not be easy to contain my excitement for much longer. My whole body feels like it’s humming with electricity and I’m finding it really difficult just to sit still. I always hoped that I’d be one of those “cool” girls if ever given the chance to meet a celebrity, but based on the way I’m bouncing on the tip of my toes and sipping my coffee like a mad woman...let’s just hope that the brain freeze will momentarily calm me down some.

“Now, before either of you start to worry, I know you’re both full time students and have obligations, so just as long as the schedules you gave me at the beginning of the quarter are still the same, I’ll make sure that this won’t interfere with your class schedules. Any questions?”

I have questions! Boxers or briefs? Is he a momma’s boy, does he believe in marriage, does he want kids, what does he look for in a woman? But the biggest question I want answered is...will he marry me? Pretty please…with a giant cherry on top?

Max nudges me before mouthing the word “what” to me, but I just ignore him and shake my head. How could Max possibly comprehend that the father of my children is currently upstairs waiting for me? He can’t. Max nudges me again, but I’m saved from having to throw some love-hate towards him as Garrison places a confidentially agreement in front of us. I sign it willingly, suddenly realizing that I won’t be able to tell Maria about this. She’s going to hate me.

We’re hardly out the door when Max stops me and pulls me into a quiet section of the hall. “Okay, who is this guy and why are you smiling like a lunatic?”

I attempt to turn my grin into a straight face….I really don’t want to look like a crazy lunatic when I meet Kris Pyne for the first time. And seriously, how the hell does Max not know who he is? I mean, I know he’s done mostly chick flicks but Max is a huge trekky whether he admits it or not. There is no way that he doesn’t know. “He was in Space Trek.”

“Oh.” Max answers before frowning again.” Wait who?”

I roll my eyes. I bet if I had asked him who the original James Crirk was he’d know. “Crirk.”

“Oh.” I’m still not sure if he knows who I’m talking about, but whatever, I have no time to explain. Kris Pyne is waiting for me people! I start walking towards the elevator, assuming that Max is following me. I’m in the midst of wondering if Kris prefers his coffee hot or cold when Max suddenly pulls me back and turns me around.

“You’re going the wrong way Liz-bit.”

I scrunch my nose and look at Max with some love-hate. I hate when he calls me Liz-bit. He’s been doing that ever since the ninth grade when Maria once let it slip. Of course, I had made sure to chew Maria off about it, but it didn’t help when Max picked it up instead, calling me that practically every day since. It’s time that I lay down some ground rules.

I realize that he’s walking us over to the front desk and I blush as to why…we don’t even know what room Kris is staying in and I was already making my way to the elevators. Oh God, I’m such a dork, but whatever, there’s no time to be embarrassed now.

“Listen Max, when we meet Kris Pyne, under no circumstance are you to call me Liz-bit, Lizzy, Lizard, Evil-Liza, or any other stupid nickname you have for me, okay?” I give him a serious look. What? I’m meeting my future husband here in a few seconds and I’m not going to have Max ruin it for me by calling me Liz-bit like some 6 year old kid.

Max rolls his eyes as he just tightens his hold on my hands and drags me forward. “Don’t worry, Ms. I know-it-all, I promise not to call you by your nicknames in front of the one that’s holy.”

I can’t help but narrow my eyes. Max gave up too easily…and if I know him, he’s probably planning something even bigger to embarrass me. That bitch. I’ll love-punch him if he does. Opening my mouth to make sure that he won’t try anything, I find myself being cut off as Alyssa Morgan, the night front-desk clerk’s voice filters through my ears.

“Hey, Max!” she smiles a little too enthusiastically and I just want to gag. Please…everyone knows that she’s been trying to get Max to go out with her ever since she started working here, but luckily, my Max is still clueless. Thank God, because I would seriously have to knock some sense into him if he did. Alyssa’s the doorknob that gets turned once too often if you know what I mean.

“Hey, Alyssa.” He greets her in his very naturally charming Max way. Sigh…Max needs some backbone, if he keeps being nice to her, Alyssa will never stop. “Can you get us two keys for room 318 and also print up an itinerary of Kris Pyne’s stay here at the hotel? I’ll also need the master key’s to access the pool, gym and recreation area incase Pyne ends up wanting to go.”

“Sure thing, Max.” She busies herself getting all the things Max requested, all the while shooting flirty glances at him. It takes her another five minutes before she’s back and I practically have to pry Max’s hands away from the witch’s before dragging him towards the elevators once again.

“Whoa, what’s the rush?” Max gives a fleeting wave to Alyssa before allowing me to drag him forward.

“Please, like you don’t know.” I look at him and raise my eyebrows. “She wants in your pants Max…and for a second there, I think she was actually getting high off of having hand-sex with you.”

Max makes a confused face. “What’re you talking about and what the heck is hand-sex?”

I just shake my head as I push the level three button in the elevator. “It’s when you let your hands linger a little too long on someone else’s, thereby letting the other person know that you want to continue that with more private parts. It’s like sex 101.”

Max laughs and then looks down at my hand that is tightly locked with his. “So, does that mean we’re doin’ it right now?” He tightens his grip on my hand before attempting to shake it really vigorously. “Oh yeah, Liz, harder…harder. Yeah, just like that. Oh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh.”

I scream and try to get my hand out of Max’s grip, feeling completely mortified as Max moves even closer to me when the elevator door suddenly pings open and I see Kris Pyne standing there, looking at us like the alien Martians we are. Oh Shit!

Max

Talk about great first impressions. Liz and I immediately jump apart as I try to control my breathing. Oh shit! I’m pretty sure I just got caught making sex noises in the elevator by our celebrity guest, this is so not good. The guy is staring at us with wide eyes and I’m pretty sure he’s probably thinking that something a whole lot more than just hand-sex was going on in here. So much for professionalism. Mustering up my courage, I take a deep breath and hold out my hand, hoping to at least salvage the situation a little. Hopefully the guy has a sense of humor.

“Sorry about that, we were just…” I trail off hoping to smooth out the situation a little. “You must be Kris Pyne?” He nods and takes my hand. “It’s a pleasure to meet you. I’m Max Evans and this is Elizabeth Parker. We’ve been assigned to assist you throughout your stay here at the Desert Sun Hotel and make sure that your stay here is as comfortable as possible. We were just on our way to your suite to introduce ourselves to you.”

“Nice to meet you Max…Elizabeth.” He shakes my hand firmly then holds it out to Liz who blushes a bit but still takes it. She’s probably going to kill me for this later, especially if word gets back to Garrison.

“Hello.” She smiles at him dazzlingly that I find myself raising my eyebrows; she’s actually handling this pretty well. That is until I see that her hand is still clutching Pyne’s while he’s trying to get her to let go. Oh geeze, I discreetly elbow Liz in her side and clear my throat.

Her face turns the color of a cherry tomato and she blushes hard while quickly giving Pyne his hand back. "Um, sorry." He gives her a funny look and turns toward me with a questioning brow. I offer him an apologetic smile. "I see you were on your way to the elevators. Is there anything we can get for you?"

“Yes, I was just on my way out but I was going to drop my dry cleaning at the front desk, I need this suit by tomorrow and it seems that in all the traveling I have done over the last couple of days, it’s taken quite a bit of beating. Can you please have them dry-cleaned and sent to my room before 6:30 tomorrow morning?”

“Sure thing sir,” I take the clothes from him and put them in one of the elevator carts. “Is there anything else?”

“Food…I have already made out a menu for tonight, make sure that it gets delivered to my room on time and is hot. I didn’t get a chance to look at the desert menu, so…if you two can recommend something…” He looks at us expectantly and just as I’m about to open my mouth to suggest Amy’s coconut cream pie Liz butts in instead.

“I hear the Sex on Mars pie is amazing…” She sort of giggles it while looking at Pyne and then flushes red when he turns to look at her. The worst part is I don’t think she realizes what she just said. In her mind, it’s a completely innocent thing because the truth is…the Sex on Mars pie is truly the most amazing thing ever.

“Right…” Kris opens his mouth to respond but gives up and turns to me questioningly. “Uh…I want you to pick out the desert.” He points at me before turning around. “And I also want you to take care of my dog, Moon…” he trails off before turning around and lifting up a dog crate and taking out the ugliest boxer puppy I have ever seen. But apparently Liz seems to think the opposite because her eyes suddenly soften and she almost gives a small pout as he looks at the alien dog.

“Oh my God, that is the cutest puppy I have ever seen.” She bends down and attempts to pet it when Kris suddenly screams “no,” and the puppy starts barking and growling at Liz like the puppy killer she is. He immediately pulls the Cujo-mad dog away from Liz as she jerks her hand back.

“Sorry,” She whispers…”I didn’t mean…” she trails off and then blushes before turning towards me. She looks like she’s about to cry.

“It’s okay.” He manages a smile before looking at the evil beast of Hades. “She’s just a little jumpy from the flight. She’s neurotic as hell and doesn’t do well with new people so any fast movements will set her off.” He cuddles it and I have to cringe. I’m pretty sure that dog has Rabies…I hope he knows that because I sure as hell wouldn’t let an ugly pug like that lick my face. “Can you handle that? Just calm it down some while I’m out for the evening.”

“Sure…and actually, there’s a pet spa just across the street. We’ll make sure she gets in tonight. Will there by anything else?” Kill me, kill me now?

“No,” he shakes his head and turns to look at Liz who’s once again staring at him with a look of complete adoration. Why can’t she ever look at me like that? She has a twinkle in her eye and everything. Jesus, please tell me…am I not twinkle worthy? “No, that’s fine for now. I’ll have Moon staying in the room adjoining mine…so you can just come by and get when you’re ready.”

“Of course, we’ll be there shortly.” Liz offers a little too enthusiastically, she seems to have come down to normal people land again because I can see her mind already working on our jobs for tonight.

“Actually, uh…you know, I’d just prefer to deal with you from now on if that’s possible.” He waits for my nod of confirmation before turning around and walking back towards his room.

I watch as Liz’s face turns from happy to confused to outraged in a matter of seconds causing me to back away a little. “Hey, what did he mean by that?” She whirls around, giving me an annoyed look. “Why does he only want to deal with you?” She pouts and crosses her arms across her chest, a small scowl forming on her lips. Great…now she probably thinks I beat at another thing again. Sighing, I punch the elevator to ground floor. It’s going to be a long night.

“Well?” She asks again.

I close my eyes, knowing that she’s not going to let it go until I tell her the truth. Funny thing about the truth is that Liz can always tell when I’m lying, yet whenever I actually try to tell her the truth about us potentially being more than friends, she always thinks I’m joking. “Why do you think Liz, you looked like you wanted to grab him and go a few rounds in the elevator with him.” I give her a knowing smile even though I hate it and I watch as she blushes and turns beat red again.

“Wow, was I that obvious?” She looks at me with those puppy dog eyes, slowly biting her bottom lip like she’s hoping that I’ll change my answer.

“You looked like a jungle cat that had just found its next prey. I mean I could practically your feel your female pheromones trying to attack him. Hell they were attacking me.”

“Shut up,” she shoulder punches me before sticking out her tongue. “I can’t believe it. I mean even if I was just some groupie, you’d think he’d know better that to assume that I would automatically be all gaga over him or something. I mean it’s not like I wanna have his baby or something.”

“Uh…Liz, you pretty much said that when we first found out whom our celebrity guest was going to be. In fact, it went something like, 'Oh Max…………..It’s Krissssssss Pyne, I wanna marry him and kiiiiiissssss him and have little Kris Pyne babies with him.'”

“Ugh, I did not say that.” She moves to punch me again, but I quickly catch her wrists and move even closer to her so that we’re almost touching.

“No, you’re right. Know why?” I ask her, wondering if it’s really true. “It’s cause you wanna have MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY babies.” I wiggle my eyebrows and watch as she tries to move back, but I quickly catch her again. “So Liz-bit, is it true?” I let go of her hands and wait for answer, my heart racing a mile a minute despite our playful conversation.

“I’m so killing Michael!” She makes a disgruntled face before hitting the ground button again.

“What so you don’t want to have my babies?” I ask her, sounding hurt.

“Max, shut up.”

“No, really Liz….I mean, you put me down on that list for a reason and I mean, if you really want to have my babies then you know all you had to do was ask…well that and do a little bit more than hand-sex…but I’m game if you are.”

She smacks me on the arm and makes a face again. “You’re disgusting Max.”

“It’s okay Liz, we both know how you really feel.” I wink at her as the elevator doors open and quickly walk away before she can smack me again. She’ll come around eventually. She knows she wants my babies.
~~~
The Mad Hatters
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Shall We Never Get Older (AU,CC,Adult) Chapter 4 - 02/01/11

keepsmiling7 – lol yes. Hope you like the next chapter.

twilight – Haha thank you. We would give you Max but we still kinda need him…lol, hope you like the next chapter.

Alien_Friend – Thank you. We’re floored that you loved the chapter and could see the chemistry between Max and Liz. We were actually worried about posting the chapter because we didn’t think anyone would see it. Hope you like the next one.

mary mary – and here we thought you left us. HAHA, glad we were able to turn you around and glad you’re enjoying the fic. As for Kris Pyne, you'd have much better luck googling Chris Pine instead. Thanks for reading and hope you like the next one.

nibbles2 – Thank you. And Moons psychotic! Are you saying you like psychotic dogs? Huh huh? Just kidding. She is adorable. You’ll get to see more of why Max deals with his crush the way he does in later chapters, hope you enjoy.

nwinchester – Welcome and thank you. You make us blush. Hope you like the next one.

Earth2Mama – Thanks. We're glad we could make you laugh. Neither of us really realized exactly how funny we were being when we wrote this and it's really great that people are finding it to be hilarious. Well, now that you've found us, we hope we can continue to keep you entertained.

begonia9508 – LOL, you just gave a great idea. Kris could totally be gay and be after Max. Glad you like the Liz-bit! Hope you like the next chapter as well.

Roswell_Dreamer – Thanks. We're glad you're enjoying this and hope you enjoy the next one.

angiebrenna – We're sorry, but the awesomness that is hand-sex, is currently in the process of being copyrighted. Lol j/k...but if you do figure out how to use it in the real world, please tell us because that really was made up on the spot. And you may be onto something, though Liz and Max's relationship is complicated and you'll see more of that in the coming chapters. Thanks for reading and hope you like the next one.

sarammlover – Thanks. He might be a little diva but he could be much worse. We'd totally have his super hot love babies too though.

Natalie36 - Thanks for reading. Hope you like the next chapter.

CHAPTER FIVE

Michael

The morning sun is hitting my eyes pretty heavily and I find myself shifting to avoid it. I just want to sleep some more. I’m exhausted, tired and that’s when I feel a heavy weight on my chest. Opening my eyes, I lift my head and find Maria still fast asleep on top of me. Wow…how did we end up like this?

I look at her and notice that her eyes are still a little puffy. Her hands are clutched around my shirt and I drop my head back onto the couch. She cried for about a half hour before she managed to finally fall asleep. I had no idea how bad she was taking her mom’s marriage to Mark. I know she had said things here and there, but I really had no idea that she felt that hurt over everything.

Lifting my arms, I find myself slowly wrapping them around her, surprising myself that I haven’t made a move to wake her up yet. I lift my head again and notice today’s newspaper is already on the kitchen table which means that Mom and Dad have already been here and have left.

Crap! I wonder if they saw us….and on that note, I wonder if they saw all my books. MY BOOKS! I turn to table and see all my papers and books everywhere and groan. I really don’t want them knowing about any of this just yet.

On top of me, DeLuca starts moving and I glance down her and smirk at her obvious bed hair. It’s sticking up everywhere and I watch as she blinks several times before turning her head to look at me.

“Morning sleepy head.”

She turns towards me and then squints; the sun’s hitting her eyes too and she stretches out on top of me, causing me to groan as my morning erection makes itself known. “What time is it?” She snuggles back into me and the side of the couch, closing her eyes as if she’s going to sleep again.

“I don’t know, but it’s time for you to move.” I poke her and she grumbles as she pushes my hand away.

“Stopppppppp.” She whines and it just causes me to do it again. DeLuca’s so not the morning person. I love it.

“Michael!” She tries to move, but now it’s too late. I roll her over, pinning her underneath me and reach out to my backpack. Grabbing the permanent marker, I smirk as I raise myself on my knees. DeLuca’s still half asleep, her eyes closes as she stretches. Weird chick.

Slowly lifting up her shirt…I begin. Hey, she didn’t say anything about the rest of her body, just her face.

She bats at my hands unconsciously when I lift her shirt. “Mmm… what’re doing?” Please, like I’m going to tell her. I uncap the pen with my mouth, watching her to make sure she’s still got her eyes closed. Hmmm, her hands are free. Yeah, totally need to fix that. When they make their way back down to her sides, I pin them with my left arm and quickly write ‘Michael Guerin was here’ with a big arrow pointing down to her sexy part – which is quite difficult because the second she realizes what I’m doing, she’s trying to get her arms free, arching her back, and squirming every which way.

“Will you lay still?” I flash her a stern look.

She shakes her head. “No. Please, Michael stop, pleaseee.” She tries pouting at me and I sigh. Damn, Maria’s got the puppy dog look down, and it’s even harder to resist because her eyes are the most brilliant shade of green I’ve ever seen on any girl. Must not give in, must not give in. “Come on, I’ve got a date tonight.”

I stop midpoint on my arrow and look up at her. What…she's got a date tonight? Since when and how come I didn't know about it? I usually do considering that she never shuts up about it, so how come she hasn’t mentioned this one? Especially if she’s going to be showing him her stomach, something sounds fishy.

Taking advantage of my distraction, she tries to wiggle herself out from underneath me, but you’d think she’d have realized by now that she doesn’t stand a chance. I’m not fat, but I definitely weigh a lot more than her and she’s crazy if she thinks she can get away from me when I’m pinning her down like this. I put my right hand down boxing her into the couch. “You know better than that, who’s the guy?”

“There is no guy, now get off of me fatty. You’re cutting off my air supply.” She starts pushing at me with her hands.

“You know you like it.” I’ve totally forgotten about my morning wood and I rub myself against her suggestively with a wink.

Apparently, she’d forgotten about it too because her eyes get wide. “Ew, ew, ew! Get off me you pervert!”

I know I should, but this is too fun. I lift myself up a bit so that I’m not actually touching her this time and begin to mock hump her, the whole time feeling her fists pounding into my back. “Mmm yeah, Maria! You feel so good. Aw! Maria, Maria, Maria!!!!”

I’m getting a kick out of the disgusted look on her face and I’m waiting for her to start turning green, which she does, but she’s no longer looking at me but past me. I turn my head to look over my shoulder and see Liz standing with a shocked expression in the doorway.

“I think I’m going to be sick. “ She says before rushing up the stairs, a hand over her mouth. Well damn, isn’t this just awkward.

“UHgh, look what you did!” Maria pushes me off of her before jumping up, pushing her shirt down before running up the stairs. I chuckle as I sit back down. Yeah…she knows she liked it.

Closing the pen-cap on the marker, I make to gather all my things and head to my apartment. It’s almost eight and I have to be at the Academy at 10.30 for the test…which once again I find myself worrying about. We went over all the questions I was having a hard time on last night and then some and even though I feel slightly better that I’m not going to fail, I just wish that it was all over.

Taking a quick shower and getting dressed, I quickly grab my keys and head back to the house. I really need to go shopping soon, this is the third time this week I’ve eaten over at Mom and Dad’s and it kinda puts a damper on the whole having my own apartment thing. Well sorta, I still get a hell of a lot more privacy in my own space that even Liz knows not to come there unless she needs something.

Making my way towards the Kitchen, I smell bacon and I wonder whose cooking. Liz sure as hell doesn’t and Mom has that thing with Dad today so that could only mean.

Maria!

Oh hell yes! Maria is a lot of things, most of which I like to make fun of, but she’s also one hell of a cook.

“You’re cooking?” I find her by sink, washing her hands and I see pancakes already on the table and bacon on the stove. Did I mention how much I love DeLuca?

She turns around gives me an evil look before pushing me away as I try to steal some bacon. “Back off buddy, this is not for you!”

“Then whose it for?” I question, still managing to steal the bacon before she takes it away in a plate.

I watch her frown at me for a moment before moving back and grabbing the syrup. “Fine it’s for you, I sorta figure you’d be nervous about the test and all and soo…..”

She did this for me? After I wrote all over her stomach? I catch her by waist and lift her shirt, happy to see that my penmanship is still there.

“MICHAEL!”

“Sorry!” I deuce, before sitting down. “So Liz okay?”

Maria nods her head and smirks before putting the plate down in front of my usual place at the table. “Yeah, as soon as she realized I didn’t have enough time to put my clothes back on after I followed her up the stairs, she was good. She told me if we ever decide to get it on, we had better do it in a private place though.”

I smirk. If I ever have sex with Maria I think I’ll it’ll have to be a public place now.

I shake my head. Liz is really insane if she thinks I’d be boffing Maria of all people on the living room couch. I was raised with more respect than that, but play sex on the other hand, that’s a different story.

“God I can’t believe you molested me. I feel so…” she pauses, “violated.”

“Yet you still made your attacker a delicious breakfast. This is great by the way. Thanks.”

“You’re welcome.”

She grabs a plate for herself and moves in to the spot across from me. It’s kind of weird because that’s actually her spot. No one else sits there but the fifth chair at the table right between Liz and Dad has been there as long as I can remember, reserved for Maria. Honestly, she’s probably eaten more meals here than she ever did at her mother’s house.

I finish up my food and grab my plate to take it to the dishwasher, but I feel Maria’s hand reach out to stop me. “I got it.”

“You sure?” She nods and I smile as I walk around the table and give her a kiss on the cheek. “Thanks for everything.” She smiles before pushing me a little and I can’t resist reaching out to rub the top of her head and musing up her hair a little before I take off. I chuckle when I hear her growl. “Later.”

Maria

I watch Michael walk out the door and say a little prayer for him to pass the test. I have to admit, I really do think Michael will make a pretty good cop and I know it'll make his dad proud to see him finally doing something worthwhile with his life. He'd never say it out loud because it's Michael's life and he wants him to find his own way, but I know that he worries about him.

I grab our plates and move them over to the sink, rinsing them off and putting them into the dishwasher before taking a plate up to Liz. She needs a little sustenance before bed and I know she’s probably hungry, especially considering that she didn’t have anything but junk food to eat last night.

"I bought gifts." Liz glares at me from behind her book. It's obvious by her expression that she's still a little unsure of what she interrupted between Michael and me even though she made me swear on my life that nothing happened.

I hand her the plate which she tucks into with a small smile. “You do know that, that was just the perfect ending to a perfect day.” she grumbles.

“That bad huh?” I ask, flopping down onto the bed next to her.

“Worse, I completely embarrassed myself in front of our celebrity guest by acting like one of those obnoxious fan girls. It was like he was Robert Patterson and I was 14.” She pouts.

"It's not really Robert Patterson is it? I ask curiously. Because seriously, if it is, I'm calling in sick and locking myself in my apartment until he leaves town. I will not risk getting trampled on by a million little tween girls...and boys.

Liz shakes her head with a dreamy smile. “No Maria, it was so much better…and I made a total fool of myself.” She whines, grabbing a pillow from the spot next to her and screaming into it. Damn, she’s never going to give me the dirt is she? Mr. Garrison probably made her sign a confidentiality agreement or something.

Having finished venting her frustration into the poor pillow, she then hits me with it, somehow managing to knock a piece of food of off her plate and onto my face. “And then I come home to you and my brother dry humping on the couch!”

No fair. How many times do I have to tell her? “We weren’t dry humping, he was molesting me!”

“And you liked it!”

I open my mouth and close it, before opening it again. She’s kinda right, I did like it. Well not in that way, but it was kinda fun wrestling Michael off of me.

“So you have class today?” I change the subject, not really wanting to have an in-depth analysis on the implications of Michael dry humping me. Knowing Liz, she’ll probably say that I’m impregnated with Michael’s imaginary love child right now.

“Yeah, in about three hours. I’m hoping to sleep for two hours before heading to campus.” She finishes her plate before putting it on the side table and flopping on to her bed. "Hmmm...." I watch as she smiles and buries her head in the pillow, "maybe I can get Max to buy me more coffee.”

I chuckle, like that‘s hard. I’m sure Max would find a way to give Liz the sun if she wanted it. “I‘m sure you‘ll find a way.”

I get up from the bed and start gathering my clothes. “Alright sister, I’m heading home. My shift at the hospital starts in two hours and lucky me, I get to do a colonoscopy on old Mr. Johnson.” Gross, Mr. Johnson is this really old, fat man that’s a little too friendly with his fingers if you know what I mean. Shuddering, I zip up my bag and head to the door. “Just be happy, you’re not in my position today.”

“Bye,” Liz waves, already half asleep. “I’ll pray for you.”

“Please do!” I blow Liz a kiss before heading down stairs and to my car.
~~~
The Mad Hatters
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Shall We Never Get Older (AU,CC,Adult) Chapter 5 - 02/08

keepsmiling7 – You just might be right. Thanks for reading and hope you like the next one.

mary mary – Thanks, we’re hoping Michael passes the test too. Hope you like the next chapter.

Earth2Mama – I wonder how you’ll feel about Max and Liz after this chapter. Thanks for reading, hope you like the next one.

Alien_Friend – Thank you. We’re pretty sure that everyone knows Max likes Liz except for Liz. She’s so stubborn. Hope you like the next chapter.

nibbles2 – Thanks, we're glad you're enjoying this. Hope you like the next chapter too.

begonia9508 – Maria still has Michael’s penmanship on her stomach. We think Michael used super permanent marker. That damned spaceboy. Thanks for reading, hope you like the next chapter.

janetfl – Thank you. We’re really glad you’re enjoying this. The couples are actually going to take time once we start introducing problems…but this a pure relationship story. Both in friendship and in actual couplehood so they will have some differences to overcome before we put them together. Hope you like the next chapter.

angiebrenna – LOL that must have been fun to explain though. Glad you’re enjoying our story and glad we were able to give you something to relate to. Thanks for reading, hope you like the next one.

CHAPTER SIX

Max

“So, I’d like to hand back the essays that everyone wrote last week. And I have to say, one essay stands out in particular. Mr. Evans, your essay on ‘How You Rot and Rust’ was quiet informative and very entertaining at the same time. Probably, one of the best pieces I’ve seen in quiet a few years, if everybody could give Max a hand please.”

My peers give me a few claps and I try to smile modestly. It’s been this way ever since I can remember. For some reason, all my teachers and professors have always loved me. That essay in particular, I didn’t finish until five in the morning – after I had already been up for over 24 hours and running on copious amounts of black coffee. And while I’d like to say that the reason was because I was bogged down with work, I’m honest enough to admit that it was because I slacked off until the last possible second.

After smiling at my admirers, I turn to look around the room, well more specifically to search for Liz. She’s sitting three rows down and as soon as my eyes land on her, she gives me the finger which only causes me to grin wider. I really should tell her not to make any offers she doesn’t plan on keeping. Mature as I am though, I only wiggle my tongue at her and watch as she shakes her head before turning back around to wait for her own essay, probably to see if she got a shiny gold star too.

You see, ever since the third grade in which we were finally allowed to compete against each other in school science fairs, brain bowls and the likes, Liz and I have competed at everything. I win some, she wins some, she loses some, I lose some, but she has yet to forgive me for beating her at valedictorian, all the starbucks in the world won’t make up for that one apparently.

While I’m zoning out staring at Liz, the girl in front of her suddenly turns, our eyes meeting briefly before she manages to give me a small smile. I return it and watch as she smiles even wider before picking up her essay. She mocks a small bravo on my accomplishment before giggling and I can’t help but laugh. That’s Ava. She’s my ex and even though we’re not together anymore, she’s still pretty cool. She’s beautiful, long curly blonde hair, fun to be around, smart, and an all around good person - everything my parents would love to see in a future daughter in law and essentially a big part of why I dated her. But the problem is, she’s not who I want to be with. If truth be told, she’s not Liz.

I give her a small wave and take a look at my essay. Damn no gold star. It’s a good thing that I carry my own around just for moments like this. I check to make sure Liz isn’t looking at me and as luck would have it, she’s re-reading her essay, probably wondering what I did that was better. I quickly rip off a sticker and stick it to the top of my paper.

“Liz!” I shout and she stops and turns around before giving me an evil look.

“If you want to gloat, too bad. I’m tired and not in the mood to feed your ego today.” She’s whining, she has a tendency to do that when she’s tired.

I catch up to her and wrap my arm around her shoulder. “Starbucks?”

She instantly perks up. I wonder if I can get away with giving her coffee flavored candy instead, my wallet will definitely thank me for it. “Frappachino?”

Well of course. I don’t think I’ve ever seen her try anything else. “Sure why not.”

I lead her out towards the coffee shop. “So did you get a gold star too?”

She raises her eyebrow at me. “Max, they don’t give gold stars in college.”

“Yeah they do. See?” I hand her my paper after ensuring that the gold star is still there. I watch as she snorts before handing it back to me, shaking her head. “You’re such a loser.” She laughs. “Do you just carry them around in your bag for moments like this?”

“Nooo.” I quickly deny. Damnit, she knows me too well.

“A-huh, sure.” She whirls around and starts walking back towards the coffee shop and I have to practically run to catch up to her. “So, I was thinking….” She looks back at me and gives me a sly grin and I know that whatever it is, it’s not going to be good. “Is there any way you can introduce me to that guy you were talking to before class?” She stops and turns around causing me to almost knock in to her.

“What?” I spit out and sputter, more from the fact that she wants me to introduce her to some other guy than anything else.

I watch as she rolls her eyes, “c’mon Max, please. I’ve seen Ryan around campus a lot and I know he likes me but for some reason he won’t ever approach me. I really thought he was going to when we went to the fresher party last week, but I dunno, it was like as soon as he seemed to be heading my way, he turned around and went the other way instead.” She makes a face and pouts. “Am I unapproachable? Is that why Ryan won’t come near me and Kris Pyne won’t deal with me?”

Ha…as if. I slip my arm into hers as we start walking again. Actually the truth is, Ryan thinks I’m Liz’s boyfriend. At first he wasn’t sure, but after constantly seeing Liz and I together, he stopped me after class one day and well…he asked me if I was and while I didn’t confirm it, I didn’t deny it either. “Nah, I think it’s ‘cause he’s gay.” I quickly state before looking away, hoping that she won’t catch my lie. Luckily, she’s too busy thinking to really pay any attention to my face and sneaking a glace back at her, I watch as her expression suddenly turns happy. Happy? What the heck? What would she be happy?

“OH MY GOD!” She thumps her forehead as we enter the coffee shop. “I can’t believe I was so stupid.” She looks at me and blushes a little. “Oh my God, how did I not see it before?”

I look at her, a little confused as we move one space up in the line. “See what?”

“That Ryan’s gay.” She shakes her head at me and smiles really brightly, nudging me when it’s our turn to order. “Max, he has a crush on you.”

“Wha…t!” I sputter and do a double take. “What?”

“Max, don’t you see it? Every time he tried to come over, he always turned the other way whenever you showed up. Oh my God Max, you totally have to hook up with him.”

Wait? Did she just say I should hook up with him? “I’m not gay Liz.”

She shakes her head and grabs our coffees once our orders are out and we move to sit in our favorite arm chairs in the corner. “It’s okay, Max. I mean, all the classic signs are there. You’re pretty, the only girl you really hang out with is me.” The door chimes and Liz makes a face as I peer behind me and see Ava walk in. “And her…” she trails off, her face taking on a hint of animosity.

“Ava’s not that bad Liz. She’s kind of nice.”

“Yeah nice, if you like trophy wife kind of nice.”

I sigh. I really don't want to have this conversation with Liz, but Ava's my friend and I feel the need to defend her. "You know, she’s actually pretty smart.”

“Then why aren’t you still with her Max? I mean, the two of you already look like you belong together anyways. You’re both pretty, your both smart, and judging by the designer clothes she wears, I’d venture a guess that you both have money too.”

Liz’s pretty, Liz’s smart, and I don’t care if she has money or not, between the two of them, I’d take Liz any day. “That doesn’t mean we mesh.”

Liz just shakes her head and just as I'm about to respond, Ava decides that this would be a great time to show up. “Hey Max, hey Liz.” She smiles. “You mind if I sit with you.” I feel bad for Ava when I see Liz already starting to stand up, she knows Liz doesn’t like her but for some reason she always tries.

“Actually, I was just about to leave but Max here still has another class so I’m sure he wouldn’t mind if you stayed and kept him company. Bye Max.” And just like that, Liz stalks out the door. I really wonder what her problem with Ava is.

I quickly make an excuse to Ava and run out after Liz.

"Liz! Liz!" I call after and watch as she turns around, flashing me an irritated look like I was the one who was just rude.

“What Max?” She asks, taking the last sip of her coffee before tossing it into a nearby garbage can. “I really just want to get a few hours of sleep before I make a fool out of myself in front of Kris again.”

I come to a stop in front of Liz, nice words seemingly having lost all fight in the back of my throat as I see Liz looking at me with an annoyed expression. “What the fuck is your problem?”

I can see the shocked expression on Liz’s face as she tries to digest my tone. Normally, I give in. Normally, I’m nice. Normally, I let her comments about Ava go, but you know what? Ava really is a great person and even though we’re not together anymore, I still care about her and consider her to be friend. And if anything, I owe it to Ava. It's amazing how many times she stood up for me in front of my parents when they were trying to pressure me to go to law school and take over half of dad’s law firm.

She’s been the only one other than Isabel and Michael who have done that I’m not going to give into Liz this time.

I watch as Liz narrows her eyes at me. “I don’t have a problem Max,” she snaps, “I’m sorry if I don’t like your wonderful girlfriend, but it’s no reason to bite my head off about it.” She crosses her arms over her chest and I know she’s practically daring me to argue with her.

“Seems like you got a problem. Why can’t you just be nice to her?”

“Because I don’t have to! Last time I checked, this was a free country and that means I can talk and act however the heck I want to. I’m sorry if your girlfriend doesn’t fit onto my list of favorite people, but then again, that’s easy, I don’t accept brown-nosing bimbos on there.” She turns to walk away and I watch her as stops for a second, probably wondering why I’m not following her like I usually do.

I just stand there, rooted to the ground and watch as the only person that I’ve ever seen myself being with give no consideration or regard to my feelings. But then again…when has Liz ever? It’s always about her.

“I guess that means I’m not on that list either huh?” I shout out when I see her jump into her truck. “Since I fall into the category of brown-nosing sons of bitches and all.” I watch as she stills for a minute before shutting the door. Turning my on my heel, I walk back to the café. Hopefully, Ava is still there.

Liz

I watch as Max turns around and starts running back towards the direction of the café and I can’t help but sink down into my seat, feeling completely appalled by my actions. I have no excuse for the way I reacted and I hate that, but I just don’t know, Ava just gets to me for some reason. It’s not that I don’t like her, I do like her, it’s just that…I hate her around Max.

I know it sounds juvenile, but I have this fear in the back of my mind in which I'll wake up one day and Max won't be around because he's going to be with her instead. She’s got everything going for her, she’s extremely pretty, she comes from a good well-to-do family, she’s going to be a teacher for Christ sakes and the worse thing is, she’s nice, like really nice…and therefore, perfect for Max.

And even though I know that Max has really broken up with her, I hate the way he still keeps in contact with her. The way he saves her a seat sometimes whenever we’re in a full class or the way he still says ‘hi’ to her whenever we walk by. Why would he do all those things if he didn’t still have feelings for her? And I know Ava has feelings for Max, she’s practically admitted to it in the rare times I’ve been caught in the middle of the two of them trying to have a conversation.

I feel like such a loser. I totally snapped at Max and he didn’t deserve any of it. Wiping away the stray tears that had begun to fall down my face unconsciously, I open my door. I have to apologize, God……I’m so stupid.

I quickly slam my car door, not caring this time when it springs back open before I take off running towards the café. Maybe I can tell Max that I’m just not having a good day today and hopefully he’ll understand.

I reach the café and search over the crowd, hoping that he’s somewhere near. I spot him sitting behind of those display bookcases and just as I muster up all my courage to go and apologize, I hear a loud girly laugh and watch as Ava comes into view, her blonde bouncy hair swinging around her face as she play-punches Max on the shoulder. I do that, I’m the only one who does that. I stop in my tracks and watch as Max bends down closer to her ear, whispering something and watch as Ava laughs again. Oh God, I wipe my tears before running out the door again. I lean against the side of the café and take a few deep breaths before yanking open my purse to look for my cell. I really hope Maria answers because I really need my best friend right now.
The Mad Hatters
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Shall We Never Get Older (AU,CC,Adult) Chapter 6 - 02/15

Earth2Mama – With respect, we have to disagree with you and defend our characters. We don’t think they are idiots but just two best friends that are so blindly in love with each other that it’s causing them to act out emotionally. They do need to talk, but when you have been best friends with someone since you were kids, it’s a lot harder in case the outcome does not come out favorably. Plus there is a lot more going on under the surface. Insecurities, troubles that neither one know about, and just general life issues. For Max and Liz, the fear of losing each other is a lot greater than their mutual attraction at this point. Thanks for reading and hope you enjoy the next one.

mary mary – True, our characters are immature. We haven’t hidden that fact and in fact, this whole story revolves around maturity – that is the main idea. How they react to situations, how they deal with things, how they feel about each other and themselves. They will not learn and grow up over night and there is a lot more going on under the surface than meets the eye. We are not aiming to make them perfect. Our Max and Liz are flawed, hot-headed and both of them absolutely love to play around - it’s their nature. Finding the balance between all those things however will take time.

And really, immaturity is immaturity. We have forgone the stereotypical version you see in most fics and have opted for an unconventional version. Would it have been better if we had characterized Max as a male slut? One who had very adult thoughts and treated women as sex objects? That’s also extremely immature but just because it’s a very adult thing doesn’t mean it’s not immature in its own right. At the end of the day, we would prefer a Max that likes to joke and fool around a little too much and still care about Liz than one who would rather hurt Liz by only thinking of her as a sex object. It’s just an unconventional version of something that is widely popular in most fics. Thanks for reading and hope you like the next chapter.

Alien_Friend – We love that you love our Max and Liz. Thank you so kindly. They’re both stubborn towards each other and you will find that Max’s weakness is Liz and Liz’s weakness is Max. But they will also be each other’s beacon when things get really tough. Hope you enjoy the next chapter.

Janetfl – You're on the right track, don't worry. As for Ava...Liz has been Max's closest friend since they were kids, so it's no wonder she feels threatened by Ava in many ways, especially someone who she deems perfect for Max. Thanks for reading and hope you like the next one.

begonia9508 – Thank you. And you may be right, they definitely will run circles around each other until one day they both realize that they’re going in the same direction and it will be too late ...because they're going to crash into each other. Glad you liked it, hope you like the next one.

keepsmiling7 – Lol, give them some credit. The journey to maturity is filled with speed bumps. Thanks for reading and hope you like the next one.

angiebrenna – Thank you so much. The fact that you understand our Max and Liz and their dynamic for what it truly is makes us feel good about writing them. I think you hit the nail on the head with Liz and more will be revealed about it in upcoming chapters. Thanks for reading, hope you like the next one.

Roswell_Dreamer – Lol. We thought so too, poor Liz. We're glad you enjoyed it and hope you like this next one too.

sarammlover – Thank you. We’re glad you’re enjoying it. Max and Liz…they’re just two peas in a pod. Hope you like the next one.

nibbles2 – Lol, loved the Rachel Berry reference and it’s freaky because this one time in Glee camp…
Thanks for reading and yep, Max and Liz are going to be rollercoaster for a while. Hope you like the next chapter.

cardinal – Hmm...It’s a good thing we made Max rich then. Thanks for reading and hope you like the next one.

CHAPTER SEVEN

Maria

I hate Mondays. I hate being a nurse on Mondays because my work day usually lasts for twelve very long hours and it always kills me. Like it’s only one right now and I’m already feeling it. I had to deal with three car accident victims, one child that wouldn’t stop puking, a guy claiming to be in pain just to get drugs and another girl who was apparently “experimenting” in the bedroom and had a little “accident.” I’ve changed my scrubs four times now and instead of my cute pink ones, I’m stuck wearing the ugly standard green ones which are completely un-cute, totally unattractive and a definite fashion no-no. But right now, I don’t care because all I really want is crispity crunchity Butterfinger to get me through the rest of the day but this damn vending machine that just will not cooperate.

After quickly checking to make sure the coast is clear, I rap my knuckles against the machine with some force, hoping to entice it to drop my chocolaty goodness. "Come on, just fall already." I whine but of course, it doesn't listen to me so I rap my hand against it again, just with a lot more force this time.

“What did that vending machine ever do to you?” I spin around only to be greeted by Dr. Wesley Saiter, known around the nurses’ station as Dr. Sexy.

“Not give me my Butterfinger.” I pout at him, I want my Butterfinger and there is no point in pretending like I wasn’t banging on the machine, he caught me red handed.

He gently pushes me out of the way and gives it a sharp rap causing the Butterfinger to magically fall into the trap. Thank God, I get my sugary sweetness after all. “Thanks,” I smile at him before taking it.

“No problem.” I start to walk away but he calls my name again and I turn around to look at him, I really hope they don’t need me back in the ER so soon because I really need a break. “Is that all you’re going to eat for lunch?”

I look down at my candy bar sheepishly and grin. I was too focused on getting a sugar fix to actually think about real food. “Uh…”

He chuckles and shakes his head at me. “Come on, I’ll buy you some real food, well as real as you can get with the cafeteria food here.

Lunch with the male God of beauty himself, otherwise known as Dr. Sexy around the nurses’ station? “Sure.”

We walk in silence most of the way to the cafeteria, with Wes trying to act innocent and me trying to hide my blush and embarrassment as I see various nurses walk by and not so subtly giving me the thumbs up at me having snagged Dr. Mc hot hot here. Thankfully, Wes doesn’t say anything even though I see a slight smirk on his face.

“You do know that that is all your fault.” I point behind me at all the nurses that are gawking and straining their necks to see us walk by. I can practically feel the hospital rumorville and gossip going into overdrive tonight.

“What?” He pretends to be clueless about it but then starts laughing. “Okay, okay, I give.” He smiles before politely opening the cafeteria door for me. “But can you really blame them? I currently have the attention of the hottest nurse in hospital and they’re envying me right now. I can feel their death glares burning into the back of my head. It’s a real shame nurse DeLuca, you should really take some pity on them and have lunch with them some time too.”

I blush and lightly brush past him, shaking my head. “Shut up, but thank you.” I grab a cafeteria tray before getting in line and turning to look at him. He’s lightly chuckling and I can’t have but laugh before giving him a look. “You know, I wouldn’t be laughing if I were you.”

“Oh and why not?” He grabs the Tuna Melt sandwich and right as he reaches for it, I do too causing our fingers to brush against each other. And even though I know that it’s not really anything major, I can’t help be feel excited about it, that and now I really hate that I’ve been forced to change into the plain green scrubs. I probably look like hell and just for once, I want something to go right with a guy.

He hands me the sandwich before grabbing one for himself, smiling slightly at me and raising his brow in question again.

“Oh come on, like you honestly need me to spell it out for you. You know damn well that we have nicknames for all the doctors here…and you my friend are lucky or unfortunate, depending on the way you want to look at it, the most talked about doctor here.”

“Oh really, so what’s my nickname then?” He asks innocently, even though I’m pretty sure he knows and is only asking me to see my blush. He grabs a fruit cup for himself before raising an eyebrow. “Want one?”

“Yeah.” I love fruit. “And like you don’t know.”

“I don’t know.” He says it with a straight face but I can see the corners of his lips moving upward, giving himself away.

I giggle and shake my head as the cafeteria lady gives me a slight wink. I feel kind of like a celebrity. “Sure you don’t.”

He shrugs as we finish filling up our trays and he pays the cashier. We find a small secluded table in the corner of the cafeteria, hopefully away from the prying eyes that are going to be watching us all during lunch. I really don’t feel like being the center of hospital gossip.

“You have to tell me. You’re the one who brought it up.”

I can feel the flush coming onto my face and I can’t believe he’s going to make me say it. “Dr. Sexy.” I whisper it like it’s a bad word and now, it’s his turn to blush. Apparently he really didn’t know, uhh. I can’t help but giggle, he looks cute embarrassed too.

He focuses on un-wrapping his sandwich and takes a bite before talking again. “So do you help in handing out the nick names?”

I wink at him. “Maybe, do the doctors give the nurses nicknames?”

He gives me a wink. “Maybe.”

Damn him, using my own words against me. I’ll just have to try a different tactic. “What’s my nickname then?”

“Wouldn’t you like to know…” He smirks.

Yeah, actually I would like to know but I doubt he’s going to tell me so I grab a blueberry out of my fruit cup and fling it at him. Best to let him know the real me early on.

“Did you just throw a blueberry at me Nurse Deluca?”

I flash him my best innocent look. “And if I did?”

“Trying to start a food fight? His brow lifts and the corners of lips slightly turn up. “I’d be careful what you start nurse DeLuca, I grew up with nine brothers and sisters and I was the middle child.” He prompts.

“Is that supposed to be a challenge?”

He leans in slightly. “If it is, would you take it?”

I can’t help but curse myself when I feel a blush creep up my face. Leaning back, I throw his words right back at him. “Maybe.”

Wes chuckles before picking up his sandwich. “Touché…so I’m really glad I ran into you today because I’ve actually been meaning to talk to you.

He has? Now I’m scared, I swallow the small bite of strawberry that I just ate. “Oh? What about?”

“Well I was wondering if you might want to-”

“MARIA!” I raise my eyebrows turning around to look at whoever’s calling my name, confusion drawing on my face as I spot Michael making a straight bee line towards me. What the heck is he doing here? He has never stopped by the hospital to see me before. And why the hell is he smiling like that?

“Michael?” I squeal when Michael literally crashes into me, lifting me out of my seat and hugging me. Oh God, oh no, please no, not in front of Dr. Sexy. I feel like I’m going to die.

“Check it out, I passed!” He slaps a blue piece of paper in my hands and moves in to give me a sloppily kiss on the cheek before moving to stand behind me, his face right next to mine as he points at his score. “See, I scored a 97 percent on the test and this here,” he points to a number 6 in the far right hand corner and smiles proudly. “That’s my ranking. I’m gonna graduate in the ten of my class. Can you believe it?”

“Uh no, I mean yeah, I mean…that’s great Michael.” Oh God, now I babbling.

I move away quickly and had the paper back to Michael, tying to smile while covering up my embarrassment. Okay, I’m really happy for Michael and everything because he really does deserve this and I wish I could sound more enthusiastic but…it’s just, I was pretty sure that Dr. Saiter here was about to ask me out and I swear if Michael has ruined it for me, I swear to God I won’t hesitate to kill him and then do a happy dance on his grave to celebrate his grade.

“Great?” Michael looks at me like I just grew two heads. “No, it’s freaking awesome.” He wraps his hands around my waist before lifting me off of the ground and twirling me around. “And I owe it all to you!” He blows a really loud raspberry on my cheek and I now I now beyond a doubt that I’m gonna kill him.

“Michael, Michael!” I slap him on the shoulder as I try to pry my face away from his. “Put me down!” But he’s too busy blowing raspberries and I can’t help but die in embarrassment. Now I know that there is absolutely no way I’m going to get that date with Dr. Sexy, Michael just ruined me. “Michael, I’m at work.” I whisper in his ear and I immediately feel his arms loosen against me as he puts me down.

“Uh…yeah, sorry about that.” He gives me a sheepish grin before raising his arm, trying to wipe away the spit from my face. “Didn’t mean to….you know.” I slap his hand away and fix him with a glare, warning him to just stop touching me.

Turning around to face Dr. Saiter, I smile in apology. “Sorry about that, my friend—“

“Oh no, don’t worry, it’s not a problem.” Dr. Sexy waves his hand towards me and Michael. “Obviously, it was something really important.”

“No—“

“Heck yeah! I just passed my SOEC exam that gets me certified to be a police officer in the state of New Mexico. Check it out,” I watch in horror as Michael not only steals my chair but pulls it up to sit next to Dr. Saiter while pushing the test results in front of them. “Oh, I’m Michael Guerin by the way.”

Michael

Maria sits across from us with her head in her hands, looking pretty peeved. I guess I should think before I act, but hey that’s me and besides she knows that I didn’t mean to embarrass her.

“Doctor Wes Saiter.” Maria’s friend holds out his hand and I shake it firmly.

“You’re a doctor?” I ask, appraising him. This guy does not look old enough to be a doctor, he looks younger than me.

“Yeah, I just finished up my residency last year and took a position here. I work in the ER with Maria.”

I look over at Maria and flash her a big grin and a wink. “You must see her a lot then. Maria’s a little workaholic.”

She removes her head from her hands long enough to glare at me. I really wonder what her problem is. It’s not like this is the first time I’ve ever embarrassed her, in fact one of my favorite things to do is to embarrass Maria. So what makes this time so special? It only takes a quick look at Wes to figure it out. He’s totally her type and I know I have to be intruding on some sort of lunch date.

“So am I, so yeah I guess we work together quite a bit. Are you two?” He gestures between us.

“God no!” Maria pipes up, finally entering the conversation, a pinched look on her face. “No…no….Michael’s my best friend’s older brother and since I’m an only child, he’s kind of taken it upon himself to fill that role. You know, annoying, obnoxious, pain in the ass.” She flashes me an annoyed smile.

Obnoxious? Pain in the ass? I raise an eyebrow at Maria…is this how she describes me to her co-workers and friends? I look at the Doc and decide to have a little fun, maybe even out the score a little. “Doc, don’t listen to Maria here, she only said that because she has the hots for you and is too immature to just say that we’re friends.”

I watch as Maria sputters on her orange juice. “Michael!” She’s got the death glare thing down and even though doesn’t hold a candle against me, I can’t help but squirm a little in my seat.

“What?” I shrug, “it’s the truth.” I give her the evil grin and smile wide. “Unless…you uh really don’t like Dr. Wes here?” I thump Wes on the shoulder and watch as Maria turns red and kicks me under the table. Fuck! I reach under and rub my shins. Sheesh, that fucking hurt. What the hell is she wearing? Metal shoes?

“Please ignore him,” Maria smiles at the Doc, “he grew up with a pack of wolves; he still has trouble formulating full sentences.”

The doc chuckles and waves Maria off. “No needs, I have sisters. I know how sibling rivalry can be.”

Siblings? Me and Maria? Are we that obvious? Damn, I really hope not, otherwise I would have to avoid being seen with Maria in public like I do with Liz and that would really suck because Maria’s a hell of a lot more fun to mess with outdoors. She tends to always get red faced and exasperated unlike Liz who just uses Max against me. You know, you’d really think he would be my best friend first. I watch as Maria nods her head while rolling her eyes at me.

The doctor turns his attention back to Maria. “But uh, actually while we‘re on the subject…do you maybe want to go out with me some time? Off the clock.”

The doc looks uncomfortable as he starts to rubs the back of his neck awkwardly, leaving me feeling like a third wheel when I see their eyes lock as they start staring at each other.

“Uh yeah, yeah I’d love to.” She finally answers.

“Great.”

“Great!” I chime in and they both look at me suddenly realizing that yes I am still here.

“Anyways Maria, I was going to try to take you out for lunch as a thank you, but I guess that’s already been taken care of.”

The glare that Maria had been giving me since I showed up turned into a much softer smile. See, she‘s over it already. “Oh Michael don’t worry about it, I was just happy to help.”

“Either way.” I shrug. “How ‘bout you let me take you out the next time you have an evening off and aren’t busy.” I smile over at Dr. Wes. “I’ll take you out to the Spiked Saucer and we can have tequila wars.”

She grins wickedly, and the poor Doc just looks confused until Maria turns her wicked expression towards his direction. “Michael’s been trying to drink me under the table ever since I was old enough to walk into a bar.”

Wesley’s eyebrows rise up at that. Who would have ever thought that a girl the size of Maria could drink me under the table, sad but true. He turns his bewildered expression towards me. “Seriously? Are you a light weight?”

I shake my head. Me a lightweight? I don’t think so. “No, Maria’s just the champ. I’m not really sure how she does it, though, I have a theory that she cons the bartender into replacing her shots with water.”

“Oh ha ha, very funny, you’re just a sore loser who can’t handle the fact that I can drink you under the table any day.”

“No, I can handle losing” I shrug, “I just have a problem with cheateeeeeeeeeeers.” I drag the word out and watch as Maria’s face flashes with that look of determination that I absolutly love on her.

“Cheater? Michael, we’ve been doing tequila wars for over two years now and at one point, YOU WERE even the bartender.”

I chuckle remembering when I bartended for about a year. Yeah, great money but horrible hangovers every day though. “Right…and why the hell do you think you won by so much?” She actually did drink me under the table, in fact she beat me by a whole four shots and still managed to keep her stomach while I spent most of the night in the bathroom throwing up.

“Excuse me? Are you telling me that you let me win?” She bristles with agitation and I can already see her planning the night.

I shrug, “You were a new drinker, pretty much a baby on the scene and you were so excited to get your first drink with your new I.D…I couldn’t just crush your spirit.”

“You’re lying,” she shakes her head and scowls, “there is no way that you let me win that night…and even if you did, it doesn’t matter because that still doesn’t change the fact that I drank you under the table the last time we were there. We were in a freakin’ contest with eight other people and I won.”

“And that leads me back to my theory,” I look over at the Doc and nod at him, happy to see him following our conversation with amusement, “that you sweet talked that bartender into rigging the contest so you’d win. Everyone knows he’s got a major thing for you.” I lean back in my chair as the doc looks at me with raised eyebrows. “Don’t worry doc, Maria actually hates Robbie…but!” I turn to face her, “that doesn’t mean this girl here doesn’t know how to play dirty.”

“Oh that’s it buddy, you and me, Friday night, we’re doing tequila wars, jaggerbomb specials and kamikaze suicides. And just to make sure, Wes can be our mediator.” She looks at the Doc expectantly.

What? No, no, no…why is she going to invite the doc? We always do tequila wars together, we never have dates. I look over at Wes and give him a small smile. “I mean...that is if you want to come.” Maria adds on shyly looking at the doc for conformation.

He just chuckles and nods. “Yeah, I want to see this for myself.” Damnit, and he just had to go ahead and accept the invitation, didn’t he? I roll my eyes.

“Come on Maria, we already know the doc here wants in your pants. How do I know you won’t sweet talk him into playing favorites?” There now he can’t be there. Wes looks a little embarrassed but he’s not denying it. You see, proof, Michael Guerin always brings out the truth.

Maria thinks about it for a minute and then her eyes light up as she looks at me confidently and says, “Fine two judges. Since we don’t know anyone that could be impartial and since we already have one judge partial to me, you can have one too.” Her eyes suddenly light up. “Max! He’ll do it, he’s your best friend.”

Now, she’s inviting Max? I feel like a part of me has just died. Damnit, Tequila wars will never be the same again. I sink down into my seat, feeling oddly unsettled.
~~~
The Mad Hatters
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Shall We Never Get Older (AU,CC,Adult) Chapter 7 - 02/22

Alien_Friend – Thank you. That's really nice to hear and we're glad we can make your Tuesdays, we hope you like this one as well.

mary mary – Thanks.

begonia9508 – Thank you. Michael is trouble, he’s always sticking his hand in the cookie jar, even when he tries not to. Lol, Hope you like the next one.

janetfl – We’re glad you found it funny. We’re pretty surprised that all our chapters seem funny, especially since we thought we lost the funniness at chapter 2. Thanks for reading, hope you like the next one.

nibbles2 – Love that jealousy is transcending to the readers, it cracks us up. Hmm…Michael may surprise you with the way he handles things here, but ever come a time when Michael really feels jealous, it’ll show. Thanks for reading, hope you like the next one.

keepsmiling7 – Thanks, hope you like the next one.

Earth2mama – Thank you. And yep, they do both have growing up to do and you'll see more as to why they deal with situations the way they do in the future chapters. And yep, putting yourself out there is hard and it is a personal achievement for yourself and both Max and Liz have yet to realize this. Michael's reaction is a bit complicated, but we're loving the way everyone's reading into it. All will be revealed in due time and you’ll just have to wait and see. Thanks for reading and hope you like the next one.

CHAPTER EIGHT

Liz

I wipe the tears out of my eyes, hoping that I can just escape up to my room and hide under my covers without my parents seeing that I’m upset and having to deal with a game of 20 questions. I just want to go to sleep and wake up and find that this whole morning has been nothing more than a nightmare and that the words between Max and I were never said.

Of course all hope of that is shot the second I open the door and see Mom and Dad snuggled up on the couch, watching T.V. with a bowl of popcorn resting between their laps.

“Hey Liz.” Dad says, looking up when I shut the door. “How was class?”

“Great.” I say, offering up as big of a smile as I can muster. “I’ve got a lot of studying to do for tomorrow so I’m just going to go upstairs and work on it a bit before getting some sleep.” I know it’s a lame excuse, there’s no way I’ll be able to get any studying done with how crappy I feel but I’m not really in the mood to socialize.

Mom looks up and smiles. “You study too much. Why don’t you take the day off and join us, we’re watching home movies.”

“I don’t know…” I tell her, hoping that I can come up with a good excuse to get out of this only to be distracted by a familiar looking little brunette girl talking rapidly on the T.V. screen. It doesn’t take me long to realize that I’m looking at the eight year old version of myself, standing in front of a table with a big piece of folded up poster board plastered with diagrams.

“Want to tell us what this is Lizzie?” I hear Dad’s voice ask in the background.

“It’s my science fair project Daddy, duh.” I can’t help but laugh at myself. “Oh God, did you guys actually dig around for the old home videos?” I ask my parents, smiling the first real genuine smile since Ava showed up at the café earlier. The last time I saw our collection of home movies, they were gathering dust in the attic.

“Just felt a little nostalgic.” Mom says, giving Dad’s hand an affectionate squeeze. I love how affectionate my parents are with each other, they’ve been that way ever since I can remember and I just hope that someday, I'll be as lucky. “Come on Liz, watch it with us. We’ll start it over.”

I think about it for a moment and for some reason instead of wanting to escape to my room like I had wanted to a minute ago, I now find myself wanting nothing more than to cuddle on the couch with my parents and relive better times.

“Why not?” I shrug, moving over and sitting next to Mom while snagging a handful of popcorn along the way. Maybe this is just exactly what I need right now.

I can see Mom’s face take on a joyful quality as she reaches for the remote while Dad flashes me a huge grin. I think I just made their day and honestly, that makes me feel really good despite the swirling pit of guilt that's still lingering in my stomach.

“Ah the third grade science fair.” Dad smiles. “You missed one hell of a time Nancy. I swear those kids were really driving me up the wall, especially Max and Liz. I’ll tell you something though, that tie really was the start of an era.”

I force myself not to grimace when Dad mentions Max’s name and quickly turn my eyes to the T.V. again and watch as the screen wobbles thanks to Michael’s wonderful movie making skills.

“We’re at Roswell Elementary School for Liz’s third grade science fair. It’s the first one she’s been allowed to do and she’s been locked up in her room for weeks with a ‘do not disturb sign’ on the door, not that I care, but we finally get to see what all the fuss is about.” Michael points the camera around the large school cafeteria. “She’s freaking out because the guy next to her tied and he did his project on video games - something she feels is completely lame - although I’ve got to say that I think it’s pretty awesome. I wish I could’ve thought about doing something like that when I went to school here.”

“Hey Maria.” Michael says, running the camera along her body. “What lame project are you doing?”

“Shut up Michael.” Maria retorts, blocking the camera with her hand before walking away.

“Michael, what are you doing? You’re supposed to be recording your sister.” The voice of Jeff Parker rings from somewhere in the distance.

Michael turns around to face his father. “Fine, you take the camera then, I’m bored.” He says, handing it off. “I’m going to go take a look at Liz’s competition.” He smirks at his sister.

Jeff waves his son off before turning the camera back onto his daughter who’s glaring after her brother. “So why don’t you tell us what this is Lizzie?”

“It’s my science fair project Daddy. Duh!” Liz says, rolling her eyes.

“What does that ribbon say?” He asks, pointing to a large ribbon on the poster board behind her.

Liz smiles brightly. “That’s my first place ribbon ‘cause my project was awesome and the judges said it was the most imaginative one here.” She turns to the little boy sitting next to her and glares menacingly.

“Oh yeah, if it’s the most ‘imaginative’ one.” The boy says making air quotes with his fingers, “then how come I tied?”

Liz rolls her eyes like it’s the most obvious thing in the world. “Duh, because one of the judges was a guy Max and everyone knows that guys like video games. There’s nothing scientific about it, you just tied ‘cause he thought it was cool.”

“Lizzie.” Jeff says warningly.

“What? It’s true! If he had done his project on something normal, he would’ve lost.”

“Liz, you apologize to Max right now.”

“Fine. I’m sorry Max. I guess your project is kind of cool.” She says, crossing her arms over her chest, quite obviously not sorry.

“Mr. Parker, Mr. Parker.” Maria comes up and starts tugging on his hand. “Did you see my project? I won a ribbon. My volcano’s so cool, you should come see it.”

“It doesn’t even blow up.” Michael says, trailing behind her.

“Shut up Michael, no one likes you anyways.” Maria retorts back, glaring at the older boy.

“Michael can you take the camera for a minute and talk to Liz about her project while I go see Maria’s.” Jeff asks, holding out the camera to his son.

“Sure Dad.” Michael answers, standing up on his tip toes to whisper in his ear. “You know, it really is kinda cool.” He takes the camera from his dad and waits for him to move out of sight before turning the camera onto Max’s display that has a small T.V. and super Nintendo hooked up to it. “What games you got for that thing?”

“I’ve got a ton at home but I only brought Mortal Kombat with me.”

“Awesome, can we play?” Michael asks, obviously getting excited as he bounces the camera up and down.

“Sure.” Max says with a smile.

“See and that’s why you won.” Liz says, sticking out her tongue.

“Don’t mind her, she’s just upset ‘cause she tied.” Michael responds, ignoring his sister and setting down the camera.

“Am not! Max’s project is stupid.”

“Is not. You’re just jealous.” Max scowls before turning back to the game and blocking Liz’s view.

“Hey wait…” Liz rushes up next to them when something huge blows up, capturing her attention. “Hey, can I play winner?”

Max flashes her a huge grin, reaching ear to ear. “Only if you admit that my project is better than yours.” Max teases her.

“What?” Liz scoffs. “No way.”

“Fine, then you can’t play my Nintendo.” Max replies, turning his attention back to the game.

“Okay, what if I admit that your project is kinda cool and mean it?” Liz looks down at the floor as she wiggles back and forth, impatiently patiently waiting for a reply.

“Oh man! I can’t believe you beat me!” Michael growls, putting down the controller. “Did you rig it for your experiment?”

Max shakes his head and picks up the abandoned controller, handing it to Liz. “You can play I guess.”

“Thanks.” Liz smiles brightly. “You know, you’re kind of cool.”

“You’re kinda cool too.” Max says, smiling back. “For a girl anyways.”

Liz blushes and misses her shot, giving Max the opportunity to go in for the kill. “I win!”

“NO FAIR, you cheated.”

“Hey, what are you kids doing?” Jeff asks, coming back to the group.

“Playing Nintendo and I won. You wanna play next Mr. Parker?” Max asks.

“Sure. I guess we can turn this thing off if we’re going to duke it out. I’m going to need all my concentration.”

“And I came out as the reigning Champ too.” Dad says rather smugly once the video fades out causing me to chuckle knowing full well that he didn’t.

“Dad, you lost so bad you didn’t even get past the starting line.”

Dad just shakes his head. “No proof, you have no proof. You mother saw it, ask her.”

“Mom wasn’t even there!”

“Lies, total lies. Nancy, what have you done with our daughter, she telling false tales.”

I laugh even louder and throw some popcorn at Dad and he just chuckles in response. I love that he can make me laugh even when I’m down.

“Oh honey, remember this? I look over at Mom when she suddenly starts rewinding the tape and turns up the volume. “This was so sweet and you were so upset, you cried for a good thirty minutes when you first saw that bird.”

I frown as I turn my attention back to the T.V screen. I vaguely remember it, but nothing too clearly.

“Oh and it was your first kiss too.”

“My first kiss?”

“Uh huh.” Mom shakes her head and laughs when she sees Michael destroying Maria’s sandcastle just to get back at her for making a better one than him. “That was the summer we took you kids to Florida to visit your Grandma Claudia and go to the beaches. But when we got there, all the beaches in the surrounding areas were closed because of an oil spill that happened in the Gulf. Michael wouldn’t stop complaining about it but you, Maria and Max thought it was the best thing and you begged your father and I to take you out there so you could help volunteer to clean all the animals that were covered in oil.”

Mom laughs at the TV screen when it suddenly changes to the hotel room. “Oh this part, honey. This was so sweet, just watch.” I look over at TV screen and laugh when Michael comes into view and I see his nineties hair. Oh God, he had to be about 13 there.

“This is so stupid. It’s raining outside, storming and we’ve been forced to come back to the hotel room ‘cause Dad says it’s too dangerous to drive and go anywhere. Something about hurricanes and lightning, Pssh…I think Dad’s just embarrassed to go outside. Mom warned him to put some sun block on when we went to the beach…but did he listen? Nooooooooooo. Dad looks worse than Maria right now and we all know how red she gets.” Michael snickers as he focuses on Dad.

“Hey Dad, say ‘hi’ to the camera.” Michael zooms in on Dad’s sun burnt face.

“Michael, put that camera away. How many times have I told you that it’s not a toy for you to play with? And stop messing with your father…he’s…had a long day.” Mom makes a soothing sound and shakes her head before applying more aloe to Dad's face.

“Hiiiiiiiiii camera.” Dad gives a cheesy grin, waving at the camera.

“Jeff!” Mom scolds, “stop encouraging him.” Mom slaps Dad playfully, somehow poking him in the eye.

“OWWWW!”

“Oh honey, Jeff I’m so sorry.” Mom goes to sooth him and Michael laughs hysterically.

“Geeze Mom, no need to be violent, there’s no reason to kill Dad.”

“Michael, I’m warning you, one more peep from you and tomorrow, you’ll be sharing a room with Grandma Claudia.”

“Oh God!” Michael turns the camera on himself. “She’s threatening me. First she almost kills Dad and now she’s threatening me. Did you see that?”

Michael turns the camera back on Mom who is now shaking her head and muttering something about ‘fathers and sons’ and something. “Michael, why don’t you be useful and check on Maria, make sure she’s thoroughly applying the aloe to her arms and face. Here, take this, she might need more.

Michael groans. “Fine.” He turns the camera on himself as he starts walking towards the bathroom. “Let’s go see what the smurfs doing.” He wields the camera around, zooming in and out at random things along the way until he finds Maria.

“Hey puke face, feeling any better?”

Maria looks up at Michael and scrunches up her face. “A little.”

“OH MY GOD, MARIAAA!” Liz crashes into the bathroom and almost knocks the camera out of Michael’s hands. “It’s waking up.” Liz suddenly stops and her eyes grow wide when she notices Michael there.

“What’s waking up?” Michael points the camera at Liz

“Uh…” Liz looks at Maria and Maria flushes red even despite being as red as she can possibly be by the sunburn. “Uh…nothing.” Liz smiles innocently and bats her eyelashes at Michael, taking her foot and dragging it in a circle in front of her.

“Sounds like something.”

“Uh-Uh, no, nothing.” Liz shakes her head vehemently.

Michael spins the camera back on himself. “Hmm…something sounds suspicious. Liz is nothing short of evil and the fact that she’s being nice and trying to act all innocent right now? Yeah, that means she’s made a pact with the devil.”

Michael points the camera back at Liz, zooming in on the guilty face. “Liz, where’s Max?’

“Uh...um…Max?” Liz looks at Maria before looking back at Michael. “Um…he’s sleeping. Uh-huh, he was very tired earlier, so um…yeah, he’s asleep.” She smiles really brightly.

Michael snorts before zooming in again on Liz. “C’mon, like I believe that, now give me the truth.”

“I told you, he’s sle—“

“LIZZZZZZZZZZZ!” Max rushes into the bathroom and crashes into all three of them causing the camera to shake. “Liz, it’s—” He stops mid-sentence when he sees Michael and gulps. “Uh, hey Michael.”

“Hey Max. Watcha doing?” Michael zooms in on Max now, particularly towards his hair. Max has the whole Alfalfa hair going on, complete with a single alien antenna sticking straight up.

“Uh…” he looks at Liz before looking back at Michael. “Um, reading. I was reading.”

“Reading?” Michael turns the camera back on himself. “See, told you something suspicious was going on.” Turning the camera back on the three culprits, Michael zooms in on the three guilty faces, intimidating them with his zooming action. “I thought you were sleeping?”

“I was?” Max asks until Liz slaps him in the stomach. “Umff…I mean I was.” Max smiles and turns bright red. “I was…um, reading and then I fell asleep.”

“Interesting.” Michael focuses on Max then on Liz before suddenly turning on Maria. “Maria, tell me what’s going on.”

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.” Liz jumps in front of Maria and shakes her head.

“We’re not doing anything Michael, now LEAVE!” Liz shoves Michael towards the door.

“No way, not until you guys tell me what so secretive here.”

“Uh…Liz,” Max interjects, pulling on Liz’s dresses as he strains his neck to look past the bathroom. “I think—“

“Not now Max.” Liz shakes her head.

“But—“ Max tries to Liz’s attention again.

“Max, I said not now.” Liz stomps on Max’s foot when suddenly there is a loud crash in the other room and Liz eyes grow wide.

“That’s what I’ve been meaning to tell you, it’s escaped.” Max rubs foot indignantly, feeling a little put out by the raging ball of brunette inferno he calls his best friend.

“MOMMMMMMMM,” Liz runs into the other room with Michael following close behind.

“NANCY, what was that? I saw something. I saw something move.”

“Jeff honey, I think you spent a little too much time out in the sun today.”

“OWWW, something bit me. Nancy, something just bit me!”

“Oh My GOD It’s a rat! JEFF KILL IT!”

“Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo,” Liz rushes over. “Don’t kill it!”

DAD slams it with a book.

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!” Liz screams as she rushes over to the animal. Tears are streaming down her face as she sits there, picking up the poor bird that has suddenly stopped moving.

“Oh Jeff, it was a bird.” Mom’s voice sound slightly broken as she steps closer. “Oh Liz, come away from there.”

“No,” She shakes her head, petting the bird and trying to talk to it while chocking on her sobs.

“Is this what was in the box that you, Max and Maria brought from the beach that you didn’t want us to see?” Nancy kneels down next to her daughter, bringing her closer to her.

“The rescue man said that it was probably going to die ‘cause they didn’t have enough people to clean all the animals cause everyone was focusing on the bigger ones. It’s not fair, he shouldn’t have to die just ‘cause he’s little.”

“Oh honey, why didn’t you say anything?”

“’Cause I was gonna save it. Me, Max and Maria and no one was listening to us today.”

“Ah baby, that’s not true, let me take the bir—“

“NO! “ Liz stands up and shakes her head. “You…you and daddy killed it.” She cries and runs off into the bathroom, slamming the door shut.

“Jeff?” Nancy looks up at her husband.

“I’m going.”Jeff starts to walk towards the bathroom but Max’s hand on his shirt stops him. “Um…Mr. Parker, can I go instead?”

There is a shocked look on Dad’s face but after a moment, he nods his head and Max runs off to bathroom with an unbeknownst Michael still following and capturing everything.

“Hey Liz, can I come in?” Max pokes his head inside the bathroom and when Liz doesn’t respond, he sits down next to her at the foot of the tub.

“I’m sorry…it was my fault, I was supposed to watch it but I didn’t and it got away.”

Liz makes a sound in the back of her throat as she pets the sleeping bird, tears streaking down her face.

“I didn’t mean to, I…I’m sorry.” Max apologizes again before attempting to pet it slightly. Liz moves to rest her head on Max’s shoulder.

It’s silent for a moment before Max talks again. “You know, my sister taught me a magic trick. She said that if anyone tries to hurt you, all you have to say ‘abracadabra risus mendendi’.”

“What does that mean?”

“I don’t know.” Max smiles a boyish smile before rolling his eyes. “She’s Isabel.”

Liz gives a small giggle before looking at Max. “Do you think it works?’

Max shrugs, “I don’t know, she said that it takes the hurt and pain away.”

“Can you try it?” Liz looks up at Max and smiles.

“Uh…um, okay.” Taking the bird, Max closes his eyes before slightly moving his face down towards the bird and softly whispering the magic words. Opening his eyes, he holds his breath for a moment or two before shaking his head and handing it back to Liz. “Sorry, it didn’t work.’

Liz nods before petting the bird again. Tears start clouding her eyes when suddenly the bird moves slightly. “Ahh…” Liz gasps as she looks at the bird. “It worked, Max it worked.”

“What?”

“Look, it’s moving.” Liz looks up at Max and suddenly smiles really brightly. “YOU DID IT!” Liz jumps on Max and kisses him square on the lips before standing up and running out the door. “MOM, DAD, look.”

Michael barely moves out of the way to let Liz run past him before zooming on Max’s face. “She kissed me.” He whispers before his hands move up to his face. “She kissed me.”

I can feel the tears welling up in my eyes, but I’m too fixated on the screen to wipe them away. I had forgotten almost all about that. I don’t think I even realized that Max was my first kiss until just now.

“He’s alive! He’s alive!” I watch the younger me shout out, the bird still held gently in my hands, holding it up for my parents. “Max healed him.” I can hear the awe in my voice as the screen suddenly goes black.

“Michael must have run out of tape." Mom shakes her head as stands up to change the tape. "I swear half of this box is filled with nothing but random videos because he would constantly record everything and anything…and the weirdest things at that.”

“I always thought he’d end up shooting movies.” Dad says. “But then again I always knew Liz would go into science so maybe he will someday. Are you okay Liz?”

“Hmm?” I look up at Dad and quickly rub my eyes. “Yeah I’m fine.”

“You sure?” Mom asks, turning back towards me. “You’ve been quiet the whole time we were watching it.”

“I’m sure. Just really tired.” I lie. “It’s been a long day. I think I’m just going to go upstairs and get some sleep before work.”

“Alright, we’ll be sure to keep it quiet then.”

I smile. “Don’t worry about it, with how tired I am, I’ll probably sleep like the dead.” Although honestly I’m not sure I could sleep at all right now. “Night.”

“Good night.” I offer them a small smile before quickly escaping up to my room and flopping on my bed. I grab my phone out of my pocket and consider calling Max to apologize, not just for what I did today, but for taking granted how big of a part of my life he is. Just as I start dialing his number, a mental picture of Ava whispering in his ear flashes before my eyes and I quickly put the phone down, sighing heavily.

He’s not going to want to talk to me. How could he? I wouldn’t want to talk to me either. I close my eyes and will the sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach to go away. I hate this, why did I have to snap at him like that? And why is that it’s always Ava that makes me act like that. I feel a lone tear slip down my cheek and don’t even bother to wipe it away.

“Abracadabra risus mendendi.” I whisper. Maybe it can take away the hurt and pain I caused today. Smiling faintly, I close my eyes, hoping that I’ll wake up tomorrow and find that all of this has just been a bad dream.
~~~
The Mad Hatters
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Shall We Never Get Older (AU,CC,Adult) Chapter 8 - 03/01

Earth2Mama – Thank you. We honestly try not to write Michael as the instigator but his personality always wins. Hope you like the next one.

Alien_Friend – Aw, thank you. It means so much when someone says the can picture what is happening. We're glad you're enjoying the fic and happy to see that we haven't reached a stalemate. So without keeping you waiting, here's the next one.

mary mary – Thank you. You're right, home movies are great. Hope you like this next part.

nibbles2 – Ah, give them some credit. We doubt they'd still be fighting over who got to play winner in Mortal Kombat, a lot has happened in eight years and that technology sadly is now obsolete. It would totally be Halo instead. ;) Thanks for reading, hope you like this next part.

angiebrenna – Thank you. We hope you like the next one.

Roswell_Dreamer – Aw, thank you. Really happy to hear that you enjoyed the part. You might have to wait just a while for Max and Liz but we promise to make it worth your while when it finally happens. Hope you like the next chapter.

begonia9508 – Aw, thank you. We had lots of fun writing the chapter. We’re hoping to show you all the different layers of their relationships and what makes each one pull and push. Glad you’re enjoying it, hope you like the next one.

keepsmiling7 – Thanks, you might have to wait a little bit for the Max and Liz meeting, but we hope you like this next chapter.

sarammlover – Thank you. Glad you liked the chapter, we had fun writing it. Hope you like the next one.

CHAPTER NINE

Maria

“C’mon, open…open…open!” I jiggle my key to my apartment door a few times, struggling as the stupid thing will just not turn. Stupid doorknob, and stupid landlord that won’t bother to fix it either. Though, I think it’s because he likes to see me struggle just because I once told him that he had his toupee on backwards. What, it was true and as far as I could see, I was doing him a favor. I mean, if I hadn’t told him about it, he would have gone all day like that. I roll my eyes, Mr. Kincher maybe a good landlord with everything else, but I swear if he postpones getting my door fixed one more time, I’m going to send Michael on him. “Commeeeeeeee onnnnnnn, opennnnn, please.” I struggle with my keys and this time I hear the phone ringing inside. Crap, it’s probably Liz. I told her I would call her at seven once I got home but we ended up getting a car accident victim thirty minutes before I was supposed to clock out and got held up. She’s probably going to hate me, she sounded horrible on the phone earlier.

“Come ON! I bang my fist against the door and kick it, tears welling up in my eyes when I awesomely bang my pinky toe against the door, causing pain to shoot up my body. “Fuck! Ow. Ow.”

“Woah there,” Michael catches me as I try to kick the door again, this time angry at it for both not letting me in but hurting me as well. “No need to take your frustrations out on the door.” Michael reaches out to pet the door lovingly and I roll my eyes. Here I am hurt and Michael’s petting my door. You see, Michael loves my apartment, everything about it; the location, the interior, my furniture, the door, and the kitchen - even though he never goes in there unless it’s to eat my food. In fact, he tried to talk me into switching apartments with him by saying how much closer I could be to Liz.

“Michael, what are you doing here?” My voice comes out with a bite to it even though I don’t mean for it to. It’s just that right after Michael left me at the hospital, my day just went downhill fast. Between Liz calling me sounding seriously upset and dealing with a baby that didn’t look like it would make it through the night, I had a lot of paperwork to catch up on while fighting off a social worker that was on my case all afternoon.

“Snappy much?” Michael shakes his head before leaning over me and turning the key and effortlessly opening the door to my apartment. “I brought food. Mom made dinner and wanted me to bring some over.”

I look down at Michael’s hands, confirming the food and make a small sound of appreciation in the back of my throat. Thank you Mrs. Parker, honestly, because I really don’t think I have it in me to cook tonight. “Okay,” I push open the door, turning on the lights and throwing my stuff on the table before checking my answering machine.

“Hey Maria, its Mom. Just calling to check in and see how you’re doing. It’s absolutely gorgeous in Hawaii, you would really love it here. Our days are pretty booked up and I just managed to find some time to call so don’t bother trying to reach us at the hotel. I’ll try to call you again in a few days. Love you.”

I can’t help but feel a little disappointed. They had the vacation planned for months and all they had to do was mention it so I could schedule time off too. I let out a sad sigh and drop my jacket on the couch. A small part of me can’t help but feel like she didn’t really want me to come.

“You okay?” I hear Michael ask and I shake my head, realizing that I just got lost in my thoughts.

“Hmm? Yeah, fine.” I give him a small smile and move to erase the message when Michael stops me.

“You sure?” He pulls me towards him and searches my face. “You know I’m here if you need to talk.” I nod and try to move out of his grasp but he doesn’t let go.

“Michaelll…” I whine. “Let me go.”

“Tell me you’re okay then.” He turns my face to look at him when I look everywhere but at him.

“I’m fine Michael.” I move out of his grasp again. “I just…I just.” I shake my head before turning around. “I just don’t feel like I belong anymore. I mean, Mom sold our old house when she moved in with Mark and everything’s just different. It’s not like I can just pack up and spend the night with her whenever I need to, I feel too uncomfortable there. And ever since the wedding, it’s like she hardly has any time for me anymore. A month will go by before we see each other, we rarely talk like we use it, it’s just different. I mean, I love that she’s happy now finally, it’s just I didn’t know I’d have to give her up in the process.” I can feel all my frustrations from today and all the pent up emotions I’ve been keeping rise up to the surface and just as I feel the first tears threatening to fall, Michael tugs me closer and hugs me.

“You’re wrong, you know. I know your Mom and there is no way that she’s replaced you or doesn’t care about you anymore.” He lets go of me and smirks. “You’re a DeLuca. No one can escape the DeLuca love trap, especially Amy DeLuca’s love trap.” He chuckles and I laugh. “But nothing is ever going to happen unless you tell her how you feel. I’m sure if your mom knew that you were feeling left out, she would drop everything for you in a heartbeat. Heck, she would leave a fully fledged trail of destruction in her way. My first day on the job and I’ll be forced to arrest her and probably you in connection with it. C’mon, don't give up on her Maria, she loves you and you've always been the most important thing in her life. I doubt that would go away just because she gets married.” He pushes me towards the kitchen and then slightly frowns. “You know maybe I should just arrest you right now.”

He laughs and I punch him. “Shut up!”

“It’s true.” He quips as he moves over to the kitchen, taking out two plates. “But seriously Maria, tell her how you feel, you’ll be surprised.”

I nod and have to condone that Michael is right. Smirking a little, I sit down on the bar stool and wait for Michael to hand me my plate. “When did you get all sentimental?”

“Shut up.” He throws a napkin my way and I chuckle as he shakes his head. "I used to tend bar remember? You have to deal with everyone's issues when they're wasted."

I gasp in mock outrage. “Are you saying I have issues?”

“You’re best friends with my little sister. Willingly.” He emphasizes. “That’s scary DeLuca.”

I laugh as he takes a couple steps back from me. “Better her than you.”

“Ouch. Aw, baby you wound me so.”

“My passion in life.”

He smiles before putting a plate in front of me that’s Mrs. Parker’s specialty, twice baked potato casserole. Yum. “So I liked your new boyfriend.”

“Really?” I raise an eyebrow. Michael’s had a complaint about nearly every guy I’ve dated. “And he’s not actually my boyfriend.”

He shrugs. “Yeah, way better than that last guy. What was his name? Melvin?”

My whole body freezes up at that name. I’ve never dated a Melvin but I know exactly who Michael’s talking about. And unfortunately for me, I don’t think I will ever be able to forget him. “Martin,” I say quietly, swallowing the large lump in my throat. Of all the relationships I have ever been in, I have to say that that one ended the worst.

Michael doesn’t seem to notice my discomfort as he loudly finishes up his plate. “Yeah, him. He really did look like a Melvin. I don’t know what you ever saw in him. He was a complete loser, not to mention a nerd.”

I shrug, not really wanting to talk about it and stuff my face with more food to keep from having to participate in the conversation.

“Whatever happened to him anyways?”

“I don’t know. I haven’t seen him since we broke up.” And I hope it stays that way, I silently add.

“Well good…’cause, he’s just not someone I picture you being with long term. I mean, he may have been nice, but he had too many nerdish qualities, that and he was completely wrong for you.” Michael stops talking and looks at me, a frown marring his face as if he’s studying me. “You know, you never did tell me why you two broke up. I mean, besides him being a giant nerd…you went out with him for four months, that’s longer than that Jason guy you dated, and he was pretty decent.

I feel my face flush under his gaze and I quickly pick up my plate and head to the garbage to scrape it, my appetite suddenly gone. No one knows why I broke up with Martin, not even Liz and I’d like to keep it that way. “Eh, like you said. He was a nerd, plus the whole dungeons and dragons thing…and,” I shake my head, “I really couldn’t have a conversation with him without somehow having to do multiplications in my head for some reason or another.” I shrug. “We didn’t work.”

“You didn’t work?” Michael scratches his brow before handing me his plate and leaning against the sink, watching me curiously. Damn if he doesn’t know something’s up. Michael’s always been able to read me like a book. “How’s that?”

I look up and scowl. I really think a part of him is enjoying this. “Nothing…we just didn’t have anything in common in the long run. Our personalities clashed. I mean he was a Gemini and I’m a Capricorn – two of the biggest enemies if there are any.” I move away from him and open the freezer, grabbing some double chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, more to distract him away from the conversation than anything else. “Ice cream?” I ask as I grab two spoons, brushing against him before heading towards my couch.

He frowns. “No, I’m not buying. You knew about his nerdiness before you ever went out with him.” He joins me on the couch, grabbing the whole tub of Eddy’s ice cream and taking a spoonful out of it. “You even knew about the dungeons and dragons things.”

“Michael!” I whine, grabbing back the ice cream. “We didn’t get along, so we broke up, what’s the big deal? It happens.”

“No…what happens, is you coming over and going into your usual rant on how all guys are pigs and jerks and deserve to be roasted on an open fire.” I watch as he contemplates for a second, the ice cream filled spoon in his mouth. “Come to think of it, you didn’t do that with Melvin. In fact, I didn’t even know you broke up with him until like a week after it happened.” He looks and me and narrows his eyes and I know he’s going to try to get it out of me now so I try to make a break for it.

“No way,” Michael grabs me by the waist and pushes me down on the couch as he hovers over me. “Tell me what happened.”

“Nothing happened, geeze, now get off me.” I try to push Michael off me, but he doesn’t budge and I groan. Why can’t he just let this go? This is not something I want to talk about.

“Did he try to hurt you?”

I roll my eyes. Please, this was Martin, even I could take him. “No.”

“Then why?” Michael hovers over me, his eyes locked to mine. He’s not joking, he’s not messing around, he really wants to know, and somehow I find myself actually wanting to tell him. God, I hate that he can do this to me.

“Fine, but you have to promise not to laugh.” I turn to face him and notice that his expression still hasn’t changed. It’s still the serious, genuine look. “And if I tell you, you have to promise not to tell anyone, not even Liz.” His eyes turn a darker color and his expression changes.

“Promise.” And I believe him.

“Okay,” Michael lets up and I sit up to face him. I never thought I would tell anyone this, but at the same time, it’s been eating away at me and it would be nice to finally get words out…and maybe some of the hurt too. “It was the weekend of Mardi Gras and the ER is usually always packed with people that think their invincible just because they have a couple drinks in them. Anyway, I had worked two double shifts back to back and I was supposed to work the night too, but my boss saw how tired I was and cut me off early.” Michael makes a confused face but nods anyways. “So…I was going to head home but then I decided to drop by his apartment instead, hoping to surprise him. I didn’t get to see him all weekend and thought it would be fun, just to order pizza and watch a movie or something.”

Michael nods again, leaning back against the sofa and taking my legs with him. “And so I got to the apartment, knocked a few times but no one answered. Though, I knew someone was in there, I could hear some loud music inside…so….I decided to let myself in with the spare key he usually keeps hidden outside by that weird gnome thing and…”

Michael furrows his eyebrows. “And?” He shakes his head.

“I found him in his room…and he was um…” I trail off, not really sure where to go from there.

“You caught him with someone else?” Michael asks, and I can see fire flash behind his eyes, but I shake my head no and his expression quickly changes to one of confusion. “Then…?” He asks raising his eyebrow.

I close my eyes before I try to say it. “I caught him masturbating to a picture of me…” I trail off and look away and for the first time, I can see a hint of smile behind Michael’s eyes.

“Maria, that’s really no—“

“He made a life size picture of me, the one where I’m got dressed as up as Princess Leah from Star Wars that Halloween and he hung it up on the wall...and the worst part is that he wasn’t the only one in the room looking at it while…”

“There were other people there jacking off to your picture?” There is anger behind his eyes and I can feel it coming off of him in waves. I’m really not sure how to interpret that, I figured Michael would…well, I’m not sure how Michael would have reacted but I wasn’t expecting him to be this angry.

“Do you want me to hurt him?”

I shake my head. Maybe at the time, I wouldn’t have minded if he had somehow gotten seriously wounded, but it’s over now and I luckily I haven’t heard from him since.

“Maria, he let his friends jack off to you.”

“I know…” I whisper it before flopping down on the couch. I can feel the tears in my eyes because I’ve tried to rationalize it in my head so many times but it just feels wrong and I hate that I can’t get over it. I can feel Michael’s eyes on me like he’s expecting an answer and shrug, expelling the only one rational excuse I ever been able to entertain. “God, why are you looking at me like that? I mean come on, it’s not like you and Max have never looked at a playboy together.”

He shakes his head and looks at me like I’m insane. “Maria, we don’t whip out our dicks and get off on it together and it’s just some random girl, not anyone either one of us are actually boffing. And really, the day that Max and I ever go into detail beyond a fucking “yes” or “no” when it comes to the pictures, will be the day I shoot myself.” He shakes his head.

Okay, so he’s right, Martin and I were in a relationship, it wasn’t some random picture of some random girl, I was his girlfriend and he disrespected me the second him and his pervy friends took their pants off. I close my eye and despite everything, I actually smile. I’m really glad Michael feels that way because I couldn’t make myself believe it either and the fact that he’s trying to explain why it’s not the same thing makes me smile even wider. “Thank you…” I whisper it but I don’t think he’s heard me.

“If I ever see him again, I’m going to kill him.” Michael keeps talking and I turn my hand over and give his a squeeze.

“I’m okay Michael.”

He shakes his head. “He violated you.”

I shrug. Maybe he did, I know I felt violated but I’m okay now. He’s out of my life, and normally out of my mind. Luckily I’m saved from the conversation when Metallica’s Wherever I May Roam breaks through the tension in the room.

Michael grabs the phone out of his jeans pocket before looking at it. “It’s Max.”

Oh shit! I forgot to call Liz. Is it weird that thinking about Max makes me think about Liz? “You should go, I was supposed to call Liz back two hours ago and I’m exhausted.”

He nod and moves his legs off of me while leaning over and to give me a kiss on the cheek. “I’ll see you later. Get some sleep, you look like the dead.”

I scowl and slap him with a pillow, “shut up.” I smile.

He chuckles and gives me one last smile before answering his phone and leaving the apartment. I follow behind him, knowing that if I don’t lock the door, he’ll most likely sit out there all night until I do. Picking up the cordless, I dial Liz on the way, hoping she doesn’t kill me.

I hear it ring a couple of times before she picks up. “You didn’t call.”

I smile and head to my bedroom “I know, I’m sorry but I just got home and Michael just left and it’s just been a rough day. I’m all yours now though. “

“Well, have any ice cream then?”

“That bad?” I ask surprised.

“Worse, but I’m craving mint chocolate chip so I’m pretty sure it’s because someone we know is out there somewhere watching The Goonies.” I laugh. That used to be our favorite movie when we were kids and any time we would watch it, Liz would splurge on mint chocolate chip ice cream and I would do double chocolate cookie dough. I frown at that thought and look back into the living room where my ice cream container sits on the coffee table. Weird.

“Sorry girly but I think Michael ate everything I had today.” I head to my closet and start laying out my clothes for the next day.

Liz makes a disapproving clicking noise. “I don’t know why you let him in your apartment. I’m pretty sure that he’s going to move in one day without you even realizing it.”

I make a face and pout, shaking my head before groaning. “I think he already has, his stuff is everywhere.” I look around my room and frown at the hockey gear near the door. How the heck did that get here? I scowl and narrow my eyes. “I think he has a key.” I whisper conspiratorially into the phone.

“I wouldn’t doubt it, you should change your locks.”

My eyes narrow even more at the aforementioned locks. “You know, I’ve been trying to get my landlord to fix my door for ages now, but there’s always been an excuse and it’s now the third time that he’s ‘re-scheduled’ the appointment. And today, Michael just effortlessly opened the door after I had been struggling with it for like ever.”

“You see, the proof is right there in the locks.” Liz sniffs. “Pretty soon, Maria won’t exist anymore. It will be Michael with a blonde wig.”

I laugh as I flop down onto my bed, fighting the amusing image in my head with giggles. “Oh wow, thank you for that. I really needed it.”

“You sound tired.”

“More like exhausted. It’s not every day I get to change my scrubs four times at work.” There is a pause on the phone. “You sound like you’ve been crying.”

“I hate him.”

“Who?”

“You, who else? Oh, wait, I could hate Michael too.” Liz laughs. “Never mind.” She pauses and then says. “Max.”

I nod. I had an inkling it would be Max. “Do you want me to beat him up for you? I’ve just ate half a tub of ice cream and I could use the exercise.”

Liz chuckles. “Yes, though go easy on him, he still hasn’t recovered from the self defense class I talked him into doing with me last weekend.”

I smile at that. “What happened?”

“We fought.” Liz says it quietly.

“Over?”

“Ava…” She says it even more quietly than before and I nod my head. Liz has never liked Ava. If there is one person that can push Liz’s buttons by not doing anything, it would be Ava and the worst part is she doesn’t realize why she feels that way.

“Okay, explain form the very beginning.” I sit up so I can hear her better.

“It was horrible. God, why can’t I just act normal around that girl? I mean, she’s nice, she’s great, she’s…she’s everything I’m not.”

“Liz, come on, you don’t honestly believe that do you?”

“A part of me does.” I can hear Liz’s voice breaking through the phone. “It’s just that where she’s all girly and nice, I’m like total tomboy and I’m only nice to you if you have chocolate and maybe coffee.” I can hear her almost pout through the phone and I laugh because it’s sort of true. “And he likes her.”

“Max?”

“Yeah…” she sighs. “I’ve never seen Max with a girl that can change him when he’s around her. Every girl Max has been with, Max has always been Max, you know? Like my Max but with Ava…it’s just different. Whenever they talk, they’re like in a different world and I just feel like…like there’s no room for me there.” I hear sniffles. “And it’s not that it’s a bad thing, ‘cause I love Max, but it’s just that she’s the complete opposite of me. He would listen to pop music with her but if we were in the car together, it would always be like rock or something. I don’t know, it’s like she gets to see a part of him I don’t and I hate that. And the fact that she seems to be the opposite of me really makes me wonder how Max could be my best friend but be so in love with her.” I can tell that she’s fighting not to cry and I hate that she can’t see how much Max affects her.

“Yeah, but Liz, they broke up, so if there was really something truly there don’t you think Max would still be with her? Sometimes, people are better off being great friends rather than something more.

“Maybe.”

“Really? ‘Cause you don’t sound so convinced there.”

“I don’t know, I’m just…I’m just confused and mad at myself. I snapped at Max and it was completely uncalled for…I just…I don’t know.”

“But he’s Max and this is you. The world wouldn’t be right if you two weren’t fighting about something.”

Liz manages a chuckle but then she sighs. “He was really angry with me, I’ve never seen him that mad.” I can hear her voice breaking again. “I mean, Max and I always banter and argue back and forth, but this…this was just anger, from both of us. From me.” I can hear her wiping her tears and then laughing. “Why does he have to be so God damn stubborn?”

I laugh. “Don’t lie, you know you like him that way.”

“Gross, he’s got cooties.”

“So you’re going to apologize?”

“Yeah, I think I might even soften the blow by bringing him coffee this time.”

“I think he’ll come around. Besides, aren’t you two going against each other for the New Age Scholarship?”

“That slut totally submitted his essay early. Maybe I should poison his coffee?”

“Oh wow, okay, I think we’re done. I’m hanging up now.” I make a clicking sound.

“Whimp, a best friend would help me conspire, you know.”

“Maybe, but I know you’ll love me regardless, so I know I’m off the hook.”

“That’s what she said.” Liz jabs back and I burry my head in my hands laughing at the absurdity.

“Bye Liz.”

“Bye Maria.”

“Call me if you need anything ‘kay, I’ll have my cell on.”

“I have another crack but I’ll stop myself and say okay. Bye…and thanks.”

“No problema, Bye.”
~~~
The Mad Hatters
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Shall We Never Get Older (AU,CC,Adult) A/N - 03/14/11

Earth2Mama- Thanks. Michael can be a pretty great girlfriend at times. He considers it a part of his deadly charm. And you'll see more of that in this next part. Don't worry we won't tell him though, but did we mention he has super powers? Hope you like this next part.

Alien_Friend- Thank you. Friendship is pretty important to us and it was one of the main ideas revolving around this fic. We’re hoping to really show all the types of relationships they have with each other including the Michael/Liz sibling relationship that you’ll get in this part. Hope you enjoy.

mary mary- Haha, thanks…and you may be right about Martin. Glad you enjoyed the conversations. Hope you enjoy the next.

nibbles2- Thanks. You know, we actually thought the same thing when we were writing these first parts, but you'll soon learn the same things we did…that the other characters just might surprise you when you least expect it. And you might be right about Amy; their situation and dynamic will be revealed in the future chapters. Hope you enjoy this next part.

begonia9508- Thanks. And you might be right. They’re oozing frustration with each other right now. Hope you enjoy the next one.

keepsmiling7- Thanks. We're sorry to say that Ava will be around for awhile but who knows, you might just end up liking her. Hope you like the next part.

sarammlover- Thank you. And ah…we wouldn’t do that, that thought alone makes us sad and if did, we would have to write some sort of justice for it. No one deserves to a bad tempered hand on them. Glad you’re like the relationship between Michael and Maria & Maria and Liz. Hope you like enjoy the next one.

angiebrenna – Aw...well, we're back. Hope you enjoy.

azure- Thank you and welcome. Glad you found us and are enjoying the story so far. Hope you like the next chapter.

CHAPTER TEN

Michael

After a quick call from Max, I rush to my apartment straight from Maria’s. He sounds upset and I have two guesses at who’s responsible. One, his extremely snobby, blue blood parents pressuring him to do something that he doesn’t want to or two, my sister who seems to be completely blind towards her feelings regarding Max.

I pull my black jeep wrangler up next to Max’s little BMW and smirk at the comparison. I don’t think there are two people in Roswell who resemble their cars more than we do. I spot Max sitting on the step leading to my apartment, starting off at Liz’s truck and I instantly know that my sister is responsible for whatever has gotten Max upset tonight. If she wasn’t, he’d be inside hanging out with here instead of out here waiting for me.” Hey.”

He breaks his staring contest with Liz’s car and turns towards me. “Took you long enough, it’s freezing out here.” He shivers a little before standing up.

“It only took me ten minutes. It’s not my fault you speed that little thing around, it’s a wonder you don’t have a glove box filled with speeding tickets by now.” I step around Max and unlock the door to my crappy little apartment. Okay, it’s not that bad; nice plush carpet, furniture left over from the last time my parents remodeled, a king size bed, and a 47 inch plasma TV that I bought the first day I moved in…but it still sucks compared to Maria’s.

I head over to my fridge, pulling out two Snapples and toss one to Max. “Long day?” Max is frustrated, I know he is and knowing him, he won’t talk until he sorted it out in his own mind.

“Something like that.” Max flops down onto the couch only to jump back up, pulling something out from under him and staring at it intently. He smiles before pocking the item. “So, I ran into Katie Mclair today.”

That stops me in my tracks and I opt to sit down at the bar stool near my kitchen as I wait for Max to go on. “She asked about you.”

I feint nonchalance as I pick up a magazine and start flipping through it. “And what did you tell her?”

“Hmm…the usual, that you were alive and breathing. Didn’t know there was anything to tell.” He looks up at me and I groan. He knows, of course he knows. I grab my Snapple and the magazine and flop down onto the armchair next to Max.

“Are you here to bust my chops on it?”

“I don’t know, should I?”

I glare at Max and he lifts his hands up in defense. “Hey, you’re the one that broke her heart—“

“I did not. One date, one date that was really a non-date considering that I double booked it bowling night. I mean, how did I know that she would still want to be friends and even take me up on making it up to her?”

“So, she wants to go out with you?”

“No, worse. She wants me to be part of the Mr. 1947 pageant for the crash fest this year and has been hounding me for the last month. I just managed to get her off my scent and damnit, Maxwell, if you told her I was alive, I’ll kill you.”

Max laughs before looking at me and then stopping. “Wait, you serious?”

“Does it look like I’m joking?” I growl before turning back to the magazine and making a mental note to check out the website. I need to replace Liz’s bumper on her truck before she realizes that it’s missing.

“Wait, you do realize that this is the Mr. 1947 pageant right? No one below the age of 50 has ever been part of that pageant.”

“And you don’t think I know that?” I sigh. “She’s guilt tripping me. She wants younger guys to be a part of it…something about recharging the Crash Fest to appeal to the younger crowd and stuff. She’s been doing everything to get people to sign up but to no avail…” I trail off…

“And what? She thinks if you sign up, others will too?”

I shrug. “It’s not my fault that my reputation precedes me.” I smirk at that thought and sink down into the chair, feeling a little smug.

Max rolls his eyes. “So why don’t you just tell her no?”

“Cause I told you, she’s guilt tripping me. Something about how if more young people participate, the more money they will make and the more they can donate to the Davis Foster Care Fund.” I squirm in my seat at little. “Damnit, I shouldn’t have to feel guilty about this. Doesn’t she know me by now? I don’t do tuxes, no fancy dinners, neat hair and all that shit.”

Max nods his head. “The Davis fund could really leg up. They’re breaking apart at the seams.”

I growl at Max and whack him in the head with my magazine. “Don’t start.”

“Just think about it Michael. All those kids not getting a Christmas this year. Yeah, you’re right…it’s too much to get all dressed up for one night so that little Timmy can have a toy car.” Max perches his lips before turning his attention back to his Snapple.

I look up and narrow my eyes at Max. “She got to you didn’t she?” I shake my head and laugh. “Typical.”

“I was sadly being fitted for tux measurements before I even knew what the heck I had said yes too.” Max grimaces. “She’s going to call us to see when we want to do the photo shoot.”

“Us? Uh-huh, no way. You got yourself into the mess, and you’re gonna get yourself out of it. I have nothing to do with this. As far as the world at large is concerned, I’m dead.”

“Charlie Davis is going to be there.” Max pulls out the big guns and I sink down. Damnit, you save one kids life and he hangs onto you as a hero forever. Shit.

“So you’re in?”

No! “Yeah,” I sigh, “but I call dibs on Mrs. Morgan. No exceptions.”

“Mrs. Morgan?” Max questions me with a confused brow.

“Yeah…well, you do realize that the Mr. 1947 pageant is coupled with the Mrs. 1947 pageant right? We have to take the women matching our winning number out to a fancy dinner and all that shit and last time I checked Maxwell, Old Lady Celia is still running it and she’s not looking for younger recruits.”

Max makes a horrified face. “What? Wait you’re kidding right?”

I snicker as head back to the fridge, pulling out two beers this time. Yeah, let him dwell on that. I have it under good sources that Agnes, from the Crash Down is entering the pageant and she’s had eyes on Max ever since he saved her from a stray bullet from some kid’s toy gun.

“So how come you were waiting outside and not upstairs terrorizing my sister?” I hand Max a beer and watch as he plays with the wrapper.

“’Cause Liz is the biggest pain in the ass I have ever met.”

I raise my eyebrow at that. “What…she beat you at another one or your silly competition things. She got an A + and you got an A -? Is this some sort of jealousy kinky thing you two have going on? ‘Cause I like you man, but she’s my sister and I really don’t want to get involved with any of this. It’s bad enough that anytime you and Liz fight, she not only hates you but me for some reason too.”

Max glares at me and throws a magazine at me. “No, we fought, or actually she fought and I just stood there.”

I shake my head not understanding the problem. They always fight. I shrug. “So…what’s the problem?”

Max looks at me like I’m dense. “Did you hear me, we fought.”

I shake my head. Max’s mouth is moving but his words, they make no sense, that is until I see his expression and know that he’s serious. “Wait, you fought?

Max groans before flopping down on the sofa. “I have an idiot for a best friend.”

“Hey!” I make a face. “I take major offense to that you know. Besides, you’re the sidekick in this relationship, not me. I’m Batman, you’re Robin. So if I’m an idiot then you’re the uber idiot.”

“Shut up!” Max throws another magazine at me and I snicker.

“Okay, okay. Seriousness. What happened?” I put my beer down and nod at Max, letting him know to continue. He’s upset, I can tell, but I honestly wasn’t expecting it to be because of my sister. But then again, maybe I should of. Any fight with Liz and Max is bigger than what it really is.

“Ava…” Max looks up in sympathy and I groan. Why didn’t I know? Ava, she’s like a sweet addiction that just will not go away. I mean, she’s a cool chick and all…but just way to sweet for my tastes. Always polite, never rude, does everything she’s told…truth be told, I was glad when Max broke up with her. He needs a girl with spunk and even though Ava may come off looking like a punkish rocker…her personality sure doesn’t. I look over at Max and notice him twirling his beer in his hands and I sigh, crap…he must be really out of it if he doesn’t even want to drink.

“I’m guessing Liz and Ava had a little cat fight then?” It’s really no secret that Liz doesn’t like Ava. In fact, for the six months that she and Max were going out, I had to endure the wrath of Liz…she was like a total demon on speed that needed some anger management classes. Well not really since Liz doesn’t seethe like that in public, but it made it difficult to annoy her. The tiniest thing would make her snap and even though that’s usually what I aim for…this snapping was on a whole different level. The kind that sucked the life out of anything that dared to live or breathe, really the only good thing about that time was Maria…because she had to endure the wrath of Liz too and for a while; it was really fun just hanging out with her, both of us trying to avoid Liz at the same time. It was odd being on the same team…usually it’s always Liz and Maria against me and Max…but that time it was me and Maria against Liz and Max.

“Not really…” Max shoots me a grimace. “Honestly, it wasn’t even about Ava. I mean it was on the surface, but deep down, I could tell that she was talking and angry with me for some reason. Ava…Ava’s always just been the catalyst, the thing that puts us at opposite ends of the spectrum and makes us fuse in the wrong way. And I get that that it’s because Liz doesn’t like Ava nor does she ever want to like her and I’m okay with it, I really am. And I’ve kind of finally come to accept that there is really nothing I can say or do that will change that but it’s just…just all the assumptions she makes. All of them wrong and it’s like she expects me to agree with her or confirm them without lever giving me a chance to talk or consider how I feel.” Max shakes his head and flops back down on the sofa, running a hand through his hair in frustration. “I don’t know…it just got to the boiling point this morning and we both kind of lost it. We fought, and I mean, really fought and when it was all over, I realized something. Liz is always going to think of me as this rich snob that will always get his way.”

No…no, no, no. I shake my head. “Max, I think you’ve got it wrong—“

“No, I don’t Michael. Because you know what Liz told me when I asked her what her problem with Ava was? It was that she was a brown nosing bimbo that has everything handed to her on a silver platter. I mean, how many times has she said those same things to me?”

Okay, I have to admit, it’s true. Liz does say that to Max all that time – well not that specific, but I know that she doesn’t actually mean it. They joke around, they always have. It’s just who they are together. “C’mon Max, you know she doesn’t mean it like that.”

“Doesn’t she?” Max sighs placing his head in his hands. “It may come out as a joke, but a part of her is serious.”

If there is any part of that that is serious, it’s only because Liz is going on what she actually knows and sees. And with that point, I can’t really fault Liz. Max is keeping her in the dark and instead of setting things straight, he’s isolating her. “Max—“

“I don’t know anymore. I don’t know why I bother when she’s never going to feel the same way about me as I do about her.”

“Max you don’t know how she feels.” I remind him. He’s never asked her out on a real date, he’s never even talked to her about a possible relationship.

“I don’t need to. She just sees me as some rich snob, who lives off his parents and gets everything handed to him.” He grumbles.

Okay, that’s it. I’ve had enough, it’s not Liz’s fault that she doesn’t know what’s going on in his life when he doesn’t tell her. “Who’s fault is that Max?” He just looks at me like I’ve grown two heads and I shake my head. “It’s true. You can’t expect Liz to ever get over these preconceived notions if you don’t tell her and you can’t expect her to think of you as anything other than a friend if you don’t tell her how you feel. You expect too much of her and it’s not fair Max.”

Max just perches his lips and doesn’t say anything. Damnit, why can’t he just tell her how he feels about her? There is little doubt in my mind that deep down, Liz doesn’t feel the same. “Maxwell, listen to me...you can’t expect Liz to understand if you don’t let her in, and you can’t expect her to feel anything more than friendship when you keep her at arm’s length all the time. And really, she’s your best friend. She’s more of a best friend than I am to you and if you can’t even be honest with her now, how do you think a relationship with you and her will work?” I don’t think Max is up to listening to me right now and I just sigh in defeat, taking another sip of my beer.

“She thinks I’m gay.”

“Wh-at?” I look at Max and with raised eyebrows. Okay, I definitely know that’s not true.

Max looks at me and wiggles his eyebrows at me. “How you doin’ Mickey-G?”

“Ah fuck! No homo dude!” I scramble to the other side of the couch, taking my beer with me.

“What? You once told me even I could pass off as a prettier girl than Courtney.” He smirks and I know that Max is back to being Max now, “you don’t like me?”

“Dude,” I chuckle, “If you ever find yourself crying at my shoulders again, it’s because this fist didn’t punch your lights out tonight.”

Max makes a horrified face. “I’m not crying at your shoulder.”

“Tell that to Maxine.”

Max laughs as he shakes his head and gets up from the couch. “Yeah, yeah…whatever, my shift starts in three hours, so I’m out, maybe I can get an hour of sleep in. I’ll be dreaming about you.” He heads towards my door and I salute him goodbye.

“TELL HER man!” I yell just as he shoots me a bird before walking out of my apartment.

When I hear Max’s car take off, I stand up and stretch. I’m not cut out to be a counselor, especially when it comes to my sister’s love life or non love life but I at least need to go check on her and make sure she’s okay. Hopefully, she’s let Maria off the phone so the girl can get some sleep, she looked beat when I left.

I finish the last of my beer before heading into my parent’s house and making my way up the stairs to find her lying on her bed with her eyes closed and her favorite Sheryl Crow song, Always By Your Side playing in the background. Her windows are open and despite the fact that it’s actually quite cold in here, she seems to be sleeping soundly.

I move closer, grabbing the quilt she keeps at the foot of the bed and tuck her in tightly. Leaning down to kiss her forehead, I can tell that she’s been crying. Liz and Max don’t fight often, at least not real fights and I can only assume that my sister feels like dirt and is probably beating herself up over it. She has a tendency to do that.

Her eyes slowly blink open and she reaches up to rub them lazily. “Michael?”

“Yeah it’s just me Lizard. Go back to sleep.” I tell her softly while turning to creep out of the room, her voice stopping me as I reach the door.

“What are you doing in here?”

I turn around and walk back over to her, sitting on the edge of the bed. “Max was here. I wanted to see if you were okay?”

“Does he hate me?” She asks miserably and I can’t help but feel bad for her.

“Nah, he’s just upset. He’ll forgive you.”

She nods and I can see her eyes becoming watery. “Why does he like her?”

I take a deep breath, damn this is really not a conversation I want to get into with Liz…maybe I can explain it away as a chemical reaction? Boy likes girl, girl likes boy…I look over at her see that she’s not even bothering to wipe her tears away, she’s actually crying in front of me, she hasn’t done this since high school really. Lying down next to her, I decide to make her answer the question instead. “Why do you hate her?”

She looks away. “I shouldn’t,” she wipes her tears. “It’s just that I’m worried.”

“Worried?” I sit up and look at Liz, confusion drawing on my face. “Worried about what?”

Liz gets up from the bed and rummages around in her drawers for something, finally returning with an envelope and handing it to me. “This.”

I flip the envelope over before looking at her and despite the tears in her eyes; she actually smiles a big smile. “Open it.” She urges.

I flip the envelope open, taking out the letter and looking at Liz one last time before I begin to read it. Wow. “Liz, this…this…” I shake my head, unable to say anything.

“I haven’t told Mom and Dad about it yet.” She smiles, “Actually, I haven’t told anyone yet, just you…now. I was going to tell everyone at Thanksgiving when Dad’s not busy with the Crashdown and Maria has the week off and everything.”

I shake my head and pull Liz into a hug. “Liz, wow, this is like your dream come true. I mean, are you serious? Full paid and everything?” I look at her and she nods her head up and down, a huge smile on her face. “Holy shit, this is literally all you and Max talked about after that summer during junior year when Dad took the both of you to visit Harvard.”

“I know. I mean, I never thought that I could end up doing a year at Harvard, or even stepping foot there in an academic way. And now this?” She picks up the letter and I can see her eyes glistening with wonder. Yeah, Liz had always wanted to go to Harvard, it was her dream but we couldn’t afford it, not even with her scholarships and she opted for UNM instead.

“So…” I shake my head, “what does this have to do with Max and you being scared?”

“Worried.” Liz corrects me before taking the letter back. “I don’t get scared of anything.”

“Liz—“

“He got a letter too.” She says it quietly, but I can tell by her voice that there is some anger in there. “And he didn’t tell me about it.”

“What?”

“We applied together. This program only accepts 100 students nationwide and Max and I did everything together. We both helped each other on the project submittal we had to do. Mine was a biology video showing cell division and Max helped enhance it doing by creating a computer program to show it in different stages. I mean, other than our essay, everything was same for us. Except mine talked more about meiosis and the actual biology of it while Max’s focused on the computer programming aspect of it. Anyways, we did this during our sophomore year and we were both waitlisted the first two years, and then this…” She shakes her head. “When I got the letter, I practically ran to Max’s apartment but like as soon as I got there…he like pushed me out. I don’t know, something was going on with him…but that was also around the time he got into that car accident and then it was one thing after another…and there just didn’t seem like a right time to tell him, so I just decided to wait.”

“Okay…” I still don’t get where Liz is going with this.

“It’s been seven months, the program deadline is in two months and Max still hasn’t told me about. And I know he got the letter ‘cause I was over at his apartment a while back and I lost my keys and when I was searching for them, I found it. He got accepted and he didn’t tell me.”

“Well, maybe he’s waiting to tell you. Or maybe he forgot, or—“

“Or he’s not going to do the program because of Ava.” Liz finishes for me. “He did it before, when he was dating Ava. He didn’t do the summer internship at Cal-Tech. We were supposed to do it together but I ended up going alone. And we had been talking about that for a long time, we made plans and everything and then suddenly, he pulled out.”

“And you think it’s because of Ava?”

“Yes. I don’t like her; he’s like someone completely different with her. I mean in the last year, he’s moved twice…and if you notice, closer to where Ava lives, and…and. I’m just scared that Max and I are drifting apart. With her, it’s like he has a whole new life…and his parents and her parents are friends and when was the last time Mr. Evans ever talked to us, any of us even though he knows that we’ve all practically grown up together?” Liz flops down on her bed. “I don’t know. It’s just this has been my dream for the longest time and I always pictured Max by my side, you know. It was always us, together, and actually half the dream is Max’s and I just keep feeling like he’s pulling out on me for some reason. In the last year especially, Max’s lies to me, about where he’s been and what he’s doing. He’s never done that before and I swear, it’s because of her.”

“Liz, listen to me. You need to talk to Max. Tell him how you feel and tell him about this internship. For all you know, it may not even have anything to do with Ava. And really, the only time you need to worry if whether or not you and Max are drifting apart is when you stop talking to him. And right now, you’re not talking to him, at least not honestly, so do yourself and me a favor and talk to him?”

“Maybe.” Liz stuffs the letter back into the envelop before depositing it back in her drawer again.

I shake my head and groan. “You’re not going to talk to him are you?”

“I don’t know. I think I crossed the lines today with him and really pissed him off. I don’t want this to come off as another reason of me just harping on Ava.”

Stubborn…both of them and here I thought I was the wayward one of this family. “Well just think about it alright?”

Liz looks at me and smiles for a second before stuffing the letter back in the envelope. “Michael?”

“Hmm…?”

“What happened to my bumper?”
~~~