The Assistant (AU,M/L,Adult) Chapter 17 2/15/11 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

MorningStar
Enthusiastic Roswellian

The Assistant (AU, M/L, Adult) Chapter 10 1/14/11 pg 11

Post by MorningStar »

A/N: Thanks for all the feedback. I don't name my chapters; but if I did I might call this one step forward, two steps back.

Chapter Eleven

Liz was five minutes late when she rushed into her parents’ apartment above the Crashdown. Her father was standing over the stove flipping pancakes and her mother was fussing over the place settings.

“Wow you busted out the good china.” Liz said giving her mom a kiss on the cheek.

“More incentive for you to come visit,” Her mom said pinching Liz’s cheek before pulling away.

“Do you want Mickey shaped pancakes?” Jeff asked waving his spatula.

“I think once you reach the age of 10 you are officially too old for Mickey pancakes, Dad.”

“Nonsense. You can never be too old. Now how many do you want, two? Three?”

“Two is fine, thanks.”

Jeff turned pack to the griddle flipping each pancake with a confident ease.

“So is your boss behaving himself?” Nancy asked as she poured her daughter some orange juice.

Liz’s mind immediately flashed to the night on the couch.

“Yes, no problems.”

“Good. I don’t like seeing you upset, honey. And you looked like someone told you your dog died when he let you go.” Her Mom could read her emotions far too well but Liz had no desire to talk to her parents about her confusing relationship with Max Evans.

“I’ve never had a dog. You're allergic.”

“Stop being a smart ass.” Her mother warned good-naturedly.

They made it halfway through breakfast, Liz carefully keeping the conversation about her parents and not herself before they seemed to catch on.

“Now, we know that work is going alright. But what about the rest of your life?” Nancy asked knowingly and her father agreed.

“You can’t be working all the time. You need to get out into the world or you’ll snap.”

“When was the last time you were on a date?” Her continued, while her dad inwardly cringed.

Jeff Parker never got used to the idea of his little girl dating. Even when she was married with kids of her own he still wouldn’t like it.

“I am not really interested in dating right now, Mom.”

Liz should have known that it wouldn’t get her mother off her case that easy. Jeff not wanting a part of this conversation started washing up the pans in the sink.

“That’s a shame because Paula from book club’s son is in town.”

“No…” For the love of god, why was everyone trying to get her laid?

“He’s a real looker.”

"No!”

“Big hands.” Nancy waggled her eyebrows.

“Oh gross, Mom.”

“Nancy, if Liz doesn’t want to focus on men right now that’s her chose. We should respect that.”

Saved by the Dad.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

After Brunch was finished, Liz decided to pop downstairs and harass Maria while she was working. The blonde was leaning over the bar reaching for a new bottle of ketchup and didn’t see her friend approach.

Liz wound her hand up and smacked Maria’s ass, dropping her voice to a low octave.

“Hey there sweet cheeks,” She teased.

Maria’s entire body tensed making her look like a cobra about to strike. She turned around preparing to go off on the asshole and instead saw her best friend.

“Liz!”

“What’s happening, sweet cheeks?”

“You need to stop calling me that. I swear I tell you once about an ex’s pet names and you never let it go.”

“It’s my duty as your best friend to mock you with love for as long as I see fit.”

“So what brings you to my neck of the woods?”

“Brunch with the parental units.”

Maria pulled Liz into the back room.

“How did last night go? Was he good in bed? He looks like he would be good in bed. I mean he has big hands…”

“Stop! Everyone needs to stop talking to me about hands!”

“Who else is talking to you about big hands?”

“I don’t want to go there. Suffice it to say; last night we watched a movie. We cuddled. I had a dream that we sleep humped the shit out of each other and I woke up alone in my own bed.”

Liz flopped down on the break room couch.

“Wait, be kind rewind. You dreamt that you sleep humped him?” Maria’s eyes were huge. She couldn’t believe prudish little Liz Parker was talking about sleep humping her boss.

“Yes. I dreamt that we were spooning on his couch, and that I was getting off on his morning wood while he slept. And that he was responding in kind. Then we both finished. And went back to sleep.”

“And you are sure this was a dream?” Something wasn’t adding up for Maria. She knew that Liz believed it, but she wasn’t sure if she did.

“Of course it was a dream, Maria. I woke up in my own bed, remember?”

“Right.”

“So what did you do last night?” Maria knew she was just trying to avoid the subject, so she humored her for now.

“Michael came over. Did you know that he carries around real handcuffs in his pocket everyday?”

“What?! Oh god… I’m sorry I asked.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It became strikingly clear that the man who she spent a fun and teasing weekend with disappeared the moment the workweek came calling. Max and Mr. Evans were such vastly different personalities that Liz almost thought of them as Jekyll and Hyde without the weird facial deformities to denote Mr. Hyde. Max Evans could never be anything but handsome.

As she sat sorting through the mail, she wondered how one person was capable of being so vastly different from one day to the next save having split personality disorder. She didn’t think that was the problem. What she wouldn’t give to sit in on one of his sessions with Langley to know what was running through that mind of his.

A dark blue envelope drew her attention back to the present, and she slowly slid her finger under the flap prying it open.

Two embossed tickets to the Samuel Hunter Gala fell out into her palm along with a small card reminding them of the occasion. It was in two weeks and she had yet to make Mr. Evans’ travel arrangements. She would bring it up with him this afternoon.

Liz’s eyes locked on Max’s as he emerged from his office. She hadn’t seen him look so conflicted since the day he visited her in the Crashdown. Her body itched to comfort his in the smallest of ways, a gentle hand on the shoulder a whisper of encouragement. But she knew that it wasn’t allowed here.

“Ms. Parker, I will be working in my office through lunch. If you wouldn’t mind ordering some Chinese for me I’d appreciate it.” His hand reached out toward her, only for him to push it back through his hair.

“Of course, Mr. Evans. Do you have any preferences?”

“I trust your judgment.” She watched him shove his hands in his pockets as he wandered down to the boardroom for the meeting.

It was almost as if he hadn’t slept in days. But he hadn’t been this way on Saturday, which meant that whatever was bothering him occurred after their viewing of “E.T." so maybe the movie had given him nightmares.

Somehow Liz didn’t believe it was his fear of aliens that had kept him up at night. When they went home she would suggest Courtney make him a cup of chamomile tea before bed. The half-dead look didn't suit him.

Her desk phone rang, its shrillness disrupting the quiet that had settled on the floor.

“Mr. Evans’ office?”

“Hello, this is Tess Harding calling. Is Max available?” A slightly accented voice chirped over the line.

“I’m sorry Ms. Harding he just stepped into a meeting. May I take a message?”

“Yes, please tell him that I have something very urgent to discuss with him before he comes to New York for the Hunter gala and that its vital he calls me before then.”

“Of course Ms. Harding, may I take down your number?”

As soon as Liz had scrawled the digits into the message pad, she bid Tess goodbye.

Tess Harding was the daughter of Edward Harding, she knew that much. But beyond that she had little knowledge of her. It was so easy to Google these days; it wouldn’t hurt to take a little peek.
It was already loaded up on her computer screen as it was.

It wasn’t like it was weird for her to Google Tess.

Before she could stop herself, she had entered her name into the search engine. The first few pages that popped up were the standard info about the girl. She was finishing up her masters at NYU, she had been educated at Spence. Her mother was a well known Australian socialite, her father was of course Edward Harding co-founder of Evans-Harding.

There was a picture. Tess Harding was gorgeous in a tiny elfin way. Her light blonde hair fell in short curls over her shoulders, her small body achieved curves hers couldn’t. And worst of all, Tess had her arm around Max’s waist in the photograph.

The caption read:
“A joining of houses, couple Maxwell Evans and Tess Harding arrive at the Evans-Harding benefit at the Met.”

The photo was from this past Spring. So who was Tess? An ex-girlfriend? Or worse the current girlfriend who was waiting back home in NYC. Liz felt sick. A lead weight had dropped into her stomach and it was a thousand times worse than the idea of Max and Whitaker. She knew that Whitaker wasn’t Max’s cup of tea, but clearly Tess was.

Liz didn’t want to go down that train of thought. Not here. Not now. She took a sip of water, and focused herself going back to work. A call to Senor Chows allowed her to order a selection for Mr. Evans to choose from and a small lunch special for herself. She had learned her lesson last time.
The food arrived and he wasn’t out of his meeting yet. It gave her the chance to set everything up for him in his office without being in his way. She couldn’t be in his way, not now.

Liz had only just settled back at her desk when she strolled by her, sniffing the air.

“Has the food already arrived?”

“Yes, it is waiting for you in your office. Also you received a phone call, the message is on your desk.”

“Thank you, Liz. Did you want to join me for lunch?” His voice was soft and he'd stammered a little at the end.

“I’m sorry, I have errands that I needed to run today. I will be back by the end of the lunch hour if that is alright.”

“Yes, of course. You are free to do as you wish.” She hated that she was making him feel like she kicked his puppy, he seemed so resigned.

Liz grabbed her lunch and purse and rushed to get into the elevator.

‘What the hell did I say that for? I don’t have errands.’

She ended up eating her lo mein in the nearby park watching small children play on the jungle gym. When Liz could no longer force herself to eat the greasy noodles, she tossed them into a garbage bin.
While she was out, Liz realized that she needed to stop at the ATM to get out more cash. Her paycheck from Evans-Harding should have deposited by now.

Liz hated using her debit card, she felt like she never kept track of how much money she was spending that way. And she needed to pinch her pennies if she wanted to pay off Harvard by the time she was 80.

Liz stepped up to the ATM machine, and slid in her card punching in her pin when prompted.
$15,342,83 was her balance.

‘Sweet baby Jesus!’

Liz knew all about the $342.83. But where did the other $15,000 come from? Surely her paycheck wouldn’t be that much. It couldn’t be that much. It said in the dossier $60,000.00.

Maybe they made a mistake and deposited too much. She’d have to stop by the payroll department before she left to get it straightened out.

Taking out forty dollars, she slipped the cash into her wallet and headed back to the office. It was tempting to know that much money was sitting in her account. She could easily take care of so much debt in one fell swoop. But if the money really wasn’t supposed to be there and they demanded it back she’d have no way to pay it back. So she’d wait.

When she got back to the office the sight of Mr. Evans sitting behind her desk shocked her. He was at her computer and the screen still displayed the article on Tess Harding with the photo of him and her together.

‘Well fuck my life…’

“Mr. Evans, can I help you with something?” Liz asked as she divested herself of her purse.

“I was doing some work and I realized that I had misplaced an excel file you sent me. I was hoping to just pull it off your computer, I was a little surprised to see this when I turned on the screen.” His voice was too calm. Not good.

“I can explain that.” She forced herself to think to come up with anything that might seem less like a creepy stalker.

“Please, do.”

“I received the phone call from Ms. Harding while you were in the meeting and I realized that I knew little about her. What her involvement was with the company, etc. I like to keep myself informed of who’s who, it makes my job easier when determining the urgency of matters. So I Googled her, and this was the first article that popped up. I mustn’t have been distracted by the arrival of lunch and forgot to close it down.” Liz lied through her teeth, she was barely making eye contact with him.

Max looked at her distrustfully. He wasn’t buying it. Liz wished she could say what she really wanted to say to him:

‘You see the truth is Mr. Evans is that I have an unhealthy fixation on you, and your hands, and in a moment of insanity I decided to see who my competition was.’

No that wouldn’t go over well at all.

“Ms. Harding is a personal contact of mine and in the future I wish for you to leave my personal life private.”

“Of course, Mr. Evans. I will stay out of your personal life if that is what you want.”

‘Please tell me that isn’t what you want. Please tell me to just stop being nosey but don’t tell me to stay away.’ Liz’s eyes pleaded.

He stood up and ran a hand through his hair. For a moment Liz thought he might refute her, instead he excused himself to the restroom. His silence said it all.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream." - Willy Wonka
MorningStar
Enthusiastic Roswellian

The Assistant (AU, M/L, Adult) Chapter 11 1/16/11 pg 13

Post by MorningStar »

A/N: I know this took me a little longer than usual to get out. But I think it was worth it. Thanks for all the reviews.

Chapter Eleven

The life of a post-it note is often undistinguished. It is born in a 3M factory, shipped along with its siblings to a store where it is purchased and brought to an office or a home.

Post-it notes lie in wait. They do not know what they will be used for, perhaps a simple doodle or a reminder. Maybe they will be crumpled up and tossed into the trash or given a place of distinction on a bulletin board.

Few ever think a post-it note could be responsible for changing the course of the future for an entire group of humans. How absurd would that be?

This post-it note was born yellow, basic, boring. It had sat in the back of the desk drawer for as long as possible while it was passed over for electric orange and soft robin’s egg blue.

Then one day a hand closed around it, pulling it out from the darkness of the drawer and out into the light of the office. The pack of post-it notes would have vibrated with excitement if they were capable of such a feat.

The nervous feminine scrawl placed upon them in pen was written with too much force. The other notes bore the scar. But the message was written and it would be delivered.

The note was peeled from the pack and stuck on top of a rather nice group of copies. They didn’t talk much but they were blissfully warm. The post-it note liked it here. It felt it could do great things here.

Had the post-it note remained on the group of copies, it would have done great things. It would have informed Larry in accounting that Michelle in HR wanted to ask him to dinner. Larry would have said yes. The two had been dancing around each other since this branch opened but both were too nervous to make a move. This post-it note would have been responsible for bringing together a couple in love.
That would have been a great life. A successful life.

This post-it note did not have that life.

This post-it note couldn’t hold on to the stack of copies. They were too warm, the glue wouldn’t hold. This post it note fell on to another stack of copies waiting to be picked up in the copy room.
The post-it note was scared. It didn’t know what was going to happen. Would it ever be found? Then all it could feel was nothing, but the warmth and knowledge that another stack of copy paper had fallen on to it.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Are they ready?” Liz asked hurrying to the copy center to pick up a stack of reports Mr. Evans wanted for his budget meeting tomorrow.

“Yes, just finished with them.”

Liz thanked the man behind the counter and grabbed the stack of paper, resisting the urge to press her cheek against the warm surface.

She had just brought them back to her desk when Mr. Evans called out to her from his office.

“Yes, Mr. Evans?”

“Liz, do you have the reports for the meeting tomorrow? I need to go over my notes tonight and I want to make sure I have a copy with me.”

“Of course, they just came back from the printers. I’ll have them for you in a minute.”

Polite. Cold. She could do this. She could think of him solely as a boss. If he was old and wrinkly like Mr. Simmons down the hall it would be so much easier to fight the pull.

Liz went back to her desk and removed a packet, handing it to Mr. Evans.

Liz did not notice a small piece of yellow paper stuck to the back.

“When you have a moment, Mr. Evans, I would like to discuss your gala trip with you.”

“Right now would work for me.”

Liz pulled out her blackberry so she could take notes.

“I need to book your travel. Do you prefer an early morning flight? Or a late-night flight?”

“Late-night.” He answered automatically.

“Are you going to be staying at one of your residences or shall I book you a suite at the hotel where they are holding the gala?”

“I will be staying at my apartment.”

“Very good. I will have this set up and I will forward the information to Ms. Dupree so she can make arrangements while you are there.” Liz finished up her note to herself looking down at her blackberry screen.

“Why would Ms. Dupree be making my arrangements?” She looked up confused.

“She is your primary assistant is she not? She is also is New York, so I assumed.”

“Ms. Parker, you will be traveling with me. You are also attending the Gala. I thought you understood that was why there were two tickets.”

“I am sorry. I did not realize that you wished me to travel with you.”

“You are now my primary assistant. You are the one who understands what is going on with my immediate work, that is why you and not Ms. Dupree are necessary for this event.”

“I understand. I will make my own travel arrangements.”

“Make sure that we are sitting next to each other on the plane. There is nothing worse than getting stuck next to a slob or chatterbox for several hours, even in first class.”

Liz nodded and got up hesitating in the doorway.

“Was there something else?” He said picking up on her nervousness.

“I was just wondering if you wanted me to book myself into a hotel? Or did you want me in your apartment with you?”

His eyes darkened with an emotion she didn’t understand. Liz thought she was simply being considerate. If he was still dating Tess, than she was certain the other woman would consider it odd that his young assistant was cohabitating with him no?

“My apartment. I want you close.”

Liz nodded and headed back to her desk. Why did the idea of staying in his apartment with her make the butterflies in her stomach all jittery? Did this mean that Tess wouldn’t be popping by?
And why did him saying ‘I want you’ even in context send a shiver down her spine?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Mr. Evans was eager to get back to the Estate so Liz was forced to put aside the investigation of her overflowing bank account to later in the week.

It was just as well because she was now panicking about having to attend the Gala. The classiest thing Liz had ever attended was her cousin Warren’s wedding to a San Francisco socialite and that had been when she was seven.

She made a mental tabulation of what this event might cost her and her head swam. Even if the company was picking up the cost of her travel there was still the matter of purchasing a gown, having her hair done, her make-up…etc.

It all made her sick to her stomach. All the money she had just legitimately earned going to an event she had no place being at.

He excused himself to his office when they arrived back at the Estate, eager to begin going over the reports once more. Liz however decided to take a bath hoping that the power jets would sooth her nerves.

She had come down to dinner feeling refreshed and a little more relaxed. Mr. Evans had not yet arrived so she took her seat and busied herself with placing her napkin in her lap.

Mr. Evans arrived moments later looking pale. This was a feat in itself as he had a naturally tan complexion. He seemed so shocked, as if he saw a ghost or an alien that Liz didn’t know whether to laugh or be concerned.

Throughout dinner, Max he then kept staring at her. Not in a malicious way. Nor in one of his lustful playful gazes. This was something different. It looked as if he was afraid of her.

When she reached for her water goblet he literally jumped.

“Are you alright?”

“I’m fine." His voice was strangled.

Liz covertly looked down, had she flashed him again? No she was wearing a turtleneck dress so it was impossible. Maybe she had something on her face?

He barely ate anything and hurried off as soon as she had finished.

Liz was too stunned to move.

“Is Mr. Evans feeling alright?” Courtney asked when she came in to clear the table.

“I’m not sure. I’ve never seen him like this.” Liz said rising to help carry in the half-empty salad bowl.

Michael came sauntering into the kitchen with a concerned look on his face.

“Liz, did something happen with Mr. Evans today? He seems off.”

“We’ve both noticed. He didn’t seem odd at work, maybe a little more stressed than usual. But at dinner he looked like he might pass out at any second.”

“I hope he’s not getting sick.”

“Heaven forbid.”

“What do you mean?” Liz didn't understand.

“A sick Maxwell Evans is by far the most pathetic and frustrating thing you will ever see in your life. He will insist he is capable of working even though he’s on death’s door. He also complains constantly; it makes you wonder how much Diane Evans gave in to him as a child.” Courtney explained.

“For your sake, Liz, I really hope he isn’t sick.” Michael said slapping a hand on her shoulder.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

He wasn’t sick. The next day his color had come back. But he kept staring at her as if he was waiting for to say something or mention something. Whenever she brought up a work topic he seemed disappointed.

Her email pinged. Liz smiled, ‘Alex.’

It has become increasingly clear that we have not seen each other since our fateful lunch on the day of you know what. I feel used. Like a shoe cast aside. Lunch today?
-Alex.

This was what she needed; a lunch with Alex would get her away from the strange puzzle that was her boss.

Deal. I’ll meet you in the lobby at 12:15pm.
-Liz

Liz knocked on the frame of her boss’s door to find him sitting on his couch his fingers idly playing with a folded up piece of yellow paper.

“Mr. Evans, I know you are growing tired of me asking, but are you alright?”

He looked up at her and said nothing.

“Okay. I’ll stop asking. I just wanted to let you know that I’ll be heading out for lunch. Are you sure you don’t want anything?”

“I’m fine, Liz. I’ll run out and grab something for myself. I think I could do with a walk.” He stood up and gathered his jacket walking with her to the elevators.

‘You are a very, very odd man.’ Liz thought to herself.

In the small elevator the weird tension that had been hanging over them was amplified.

When the doors to the lobby opened, Liz said a silent prayer of thanks. She thought Mr. Evans would bid her goodbye and head out. But, no, naturally he decided to hang about her side like a lost puppy.

“Where are you going to lunch today, Liz?”

“I’m not sure,” Liz said checking her watch it was 12:18 so where was Alex?

“Well were you planning to just sit here in the lobby until inspiration struck?”

“No, I was waiting for—"

“So, sorry I was running late, dahling. You would think the world was ending when people couldn’t load Google on the 3rd floor,” Alex said in a rush when he noticed who was standing alongside Liz, “Maxwell, haven’t seen you about much.”

Max had frozen at the sound of Alex’s voice.

“Alex, I wasn’t aware that you were on such familiar terms with my assistant.”

That tone of voice was never good. It was the way he spoke before he freaked out—the calm before the storm.

‘Danger, Will Robinson!’ Every cell in Liz’s body screamed.

“Liz and I are old buddies. Couldn’t resist her charms.” Alex slung a friendly arm around her shoulders.

Max was glaring at the area where Alex was touching her. Liz knowing she had to diffuse a ticking time bomb slipped out from Alex’s arm.

“You are a liar. He was the one Isabel had sent over to help me get set up. He was very kind to me. We’re lunch friends.”

This didn’t seem to mollify, Max at all. Why he cared all of a sudden so much about whom she hung out with was news to her. It must have simply bothered him that there was something about her he didn’t have control over.

“Ah demoted from friend to lunch friend. This is what happens when you disappear for a month…” Alex trailed off realizing that talking about Liz being fired in front of the person who fired her wasn’t the best of ideas.

Max’s knuckles cracked. His jaw ticked.

“As much as I would love to continue standing here all day I am starving. So I’m going to go. When you two have worked out whatever it is you need to work out, feel free to join me. I’ll be at the café on the corner.” Liz had to extract herself from the situation.

She didn’t look back to see if they were following her or not. It wasn’t until she was sitting at a table with her panini that Alex showed up sans Maxwell Evans.

“I’m sorry, Liz. I don’t know what that was back there.”

‘That makes two of us.’

He seemed to notice the partially eaten sandwich in front of her then and sighed.

“I’m a terrible lunch friend. You’ve already got your sandwich and I still have to brave the line.”

“You are a great lunch friend. Now hurry up and get your ass in line.” Liz threw a napkin at him.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Liz massaged her temples. The scene before lunch had given her a headache. She didn’t really understand the pissing contest. Or furthermore how anyone could have a pissing contest with Alex who is the least threatening man alive.

A palm holding out two Advil reached out to her. She knew that palm. Intimately.

“Thank you,” Liz had been preparing to suffer through her headache as she had forgotten her own Advil in her other purse. She took them quickly and washed them down with some water.

“That’s what you prefer right? Advil to Tylenol?”

Liz tried to think of how Mr. Evans would know this. Had he ever seen her take a pain reliever in front of him? She couldn’t remember.

“Yes, thank you again.”

“I wanted to apologize to you for ruining your lunch plans.”

“Its not necessary.”

“It is necessary. I acted poorly. It was precisely this that made me lose you the first time, and I do not repeat my mistakes.” He gave her desk a short rap with his knuckles before heading into his office to wait for Langley.

‘Am I on some bizarre reality show? Does this ever happen to anyone else?’ Liz casually glanced around to see where someone might hide a camera. That rubber plant over there looks shifty.

Liz had just started rustling through its leaves when Langley arrived.

“I thought I saw a mouse…”

“You are a real piece of work, Ms. Parker. If you ever want to talk about it, here’s my card.”
He thrust the small white rectangle into her palm and disappeared into Max’s office.

‘Did a licensed professional honestly just suggest that she could use therapy?’ You are a nut job Liz. Spy cameras, indeed.

When Max’s hour was up, Langley reemerged and gave Liz an incredulous look.

“Really, you should call me. As soon as possible.” He straightened the hat on his head and hurried to the elevators.

‘All I am doing is filing. Filing things doesn’t make me a crazy person!’ Liz wanted to shout. But if she did shout that, it would basically confirm that she was in fact a crazy person.

Her phone chirped with a reminder to visit the payroll department, and if she wanted to finish up down there by the time they had to leave she had to go now.

“Mr. Evans, I’m just going to run down to accounting for a moment. If that’s alright?”

“Sure of course.” There it was again that tiny yellow piece of paper had been unfolded and was placed in front of him.

If she just craned her neck a little more, she might be able to see it. Mr. Evans raised a brow.

“Right, I’ll be back shortly.”

Liz was fortunate in that most people didn’t visit the payroll apartment on a Tuesday afternoon. She was able to get in to talk to Larry Fulton with relative ease.

“Hello, what can I do for you Ms. Parker?” He was an adorable looking older man with a cardigan sweater on over his button up shirt. She almost wished his last name were Rogers.

“I think there might have been an error with my direct deposit.”

“Did it not go through?”

“No, it did. It was just that it was too much. And I thought maybe the computer glitches and double or rather triple paid me.”

“Odd, our systems are normally very good about this sort of thing. Let me pull up your file.”

She waited while he typed a variety of things into his computer and his own eyes bugged out at what appeared on the screen.

“Well it appears Ms. Parker that nothing is out of the ordinary.”

“What do you mean?”

“You were supposed to receive the $20,000.” His own throat stuck on the words.

“Twenty thousand?!?!” Liz got up to look at the screen.

There it was. Another check deposited into her account for $5,000.00 signed by Maxwell Evans.
He would have to explain himself. Liz fumed as she marched back to her office. If he meant to buy her cooperation and forgiveness he had another thing coming.

“Back so soon?” He said looking up from his computer screen.

“I need to ask you something and I need you to be honest with me.”

He sat up a little straighter.

“You can ask me anything.”

He momentarily through her off track with that statement and she had to find her words again.

“My bank account has about twenty grand too much in it and I know that you are responsible. My question is why? Did you mean to buy me?” Her voice was even but her questions pierced him all the same as if she had yelled them.

“Buy you? What!? No, Liz, I would never… I would never think to.” He ran a hand through his hair.

“Then why is there so much?”

“I just revised your contract.” Mr. Evans mumbled.

“What?”

“After the day at the Crashdown when you rightfully set me straight about how I was treating you I went back to your contract. I realized that the amount we were paying you was not congruent to the amount of work you were doing here. So I adjusted it.”

“An adjustment would be a small raise. Not this.”

“Think of it as an advance of sorts. I realize that you as my assistant will be required to be present at a variety of functions and that it costs money to purchase a wardrobe that works accordingly. I have Isabel for a sister, I understand way too much about the cost of a good dress these days.”

“So that is all, its just a raise and an advance.” That she could deal with. It also assuaged her fears about affording a Gala appropriate gown.

“Yes, you could put it that way.”

“Okay. Thank you for clarifying that matter.”

It was only when Liz got back to her desk that she realized the $20,000 was hers to keep. She was never more thankful to be sitting down than at that moment.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Friday afternoon mercifully came fast. She was certain she had a grey hair from the week. The office was more harried than usual, departments demanding more from Mr. Evans because they knew he’d be back to New York soon and harder to pin down.

Liz had just settled into the bubble bath with a new novel she had been intending to read for ages but hadn’t had a chance to when she heard someone knocking on her door.

“Just a minute!” She called.

She slipped from the bath, and tossed on a robe going to answer the door. Max stood on the other side looking way too good. No man should be able to wear jeans that way. He had put on an after shave that drew her closer to the skin of his throat bared by his slightly opened black shirt. He held a single white rose.

“I’m early. I’m sorry. Finish getting dressed.” His voice brought her back to the present.

“What?” Liz looked around, that reality camera crew had to be hiding somewhere.

“Dinner, Liz. You said eight o’clock.”

Did she have Alzheimer’s? Was she dreaming? Liz pinched herself. No she was firmly awake because that hurt like a bitch.

“I know you are going to think I’m insane but, we have a date that I apparently asked you out on?”

“Well the exact words you wrote were: ‘Grow a pair and take me to dinner this Friday at 8.” Liz’s eyes bugged out of her head.

“Wrote? I wrote you a note?”

He seemed as confused as Liz, when he handed he the rose so he could reach into his pants pocket to pull out a piece of paper. The yellow note!

He handed it out to Liz and she looked at it not recognizing the scrawl as her own. She also never would have used the phrase ‘grow a pair.’ The amount of creases in the paper showed that he had carried it around reading and rereading it thousands of times.

Liz looked up to see how nervous he had become. The tips of his ears were red and his hands were shoved so deep into his pockets that they just might reappear in China.

“I didn’t write this note, Max.”

“Oh…” He snatched it back from her. The light was gone from his eyes. Liz couldn’t stand the fact that she had taken it from them. Her hand grasped his wrist gently pulling his hand from the pocket.

“I didn’t write that note, but it doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t enjoy going to dinner with you.” She said shyly.

“Really? You don’t have to feel obligated because there was some sort of mix-up. I—” His rant was cut off by her hand over his lips. They were soft and warm against the flesh of her palm.

“Give me ten minutes to rinse off and get dressed.”

Liz wandered back into her bedroom. Shutting the door behind her.

An errant post-it note. She was going on a date with her fuck hot boss because of an errant post-it note. If she didn’t already love them before, she wanted to send the company a fruit basket now.
Last edited by MorningStar on Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MorningStar
Enthusiastic Roswellian

The Assistant (AU, M/L, Adult) Chapter 12 1/17/11 pg 15

Post by MorningStar »

A/N: Thank you for all the reviews, I love them more than you know. I finally am confident enough to admit that I am a review slut. I literally wrote three different versions of this chapter. I wanted Max and Liz to go in one direction but they just wouldn't cooperate. I wish you all many cold showers after this.

Chapter Twelve

Max had been dressed casually, so taking her cue from him she’d slipped on a pair of jeans that always flattered her and a lacey dark red tank top. She slipped her feet into a pair of kitten heels and fluffed her hair.

She wasn’t sure what he expected out of her for the evening. They were both attracted to the other; there wasn’t any point in trying to deny it. So was it just sex for him? Liz wouldn’t complain if it were. Sex with Max would most likely be phenomenal. A deeper part of her however wanted more.

One last swipe of lip-gloss over her lips and she rejoined Max who was looking a photograph she had set up in her living area. It was one of her favorites--two small girls one blonde and one brunette sitting covered in dirt holding trowels aloft.

“That’s me and my best friend Maria. We were five and my grandmother Claudia was visiting. She had just gotten back from a dig, and we decided that we wanted to go on digs too. My mother nearly killed us from destroying her flowerbed. God I miss that house.” Liz stroked the white cottage in the photograph lovingly.

“What happened to it?” Max whispered next to her. Liz’s smile morphed into something more bittersweet.

“Oh… we had to sell when I was nine. Business wasn’t doing too well.” She replaced the photo on the table and turned to find Max much closer than she thought.

“Shall we go? I hope I didn’t make us too late.”

“I actually didn’t make reservations. I thought we could play it by ear.”

“That’s a phrase I never thought you would utter.”

“Well I like to think I’m evolving.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

They were standing outside the swanky tapas bar that Max hoped to take Liz to when they were informed it would be an hour wait for the table. Liz could see that Max was ready to fight the maitre ‘d or perhaps offer him a heavy bribe. He had been so nervous the car ride over about the night that he didn’t need this.

“Max, come on let’s go.” She pulled him back gently by the arm.

“But I wanted you to try this place…” Was he pouting?

“And we can some other night now that we know we definitely need reservations. Besides, I have another idea.”

He acquiesced and her hand slipped down into his as she pulled him down a few blocks to Cow Patty’s. Seeing Max Evans mixing with the crowd here would be amusement in and of itself if the rest of the date didn’t go well.

“You want to go here? Isn’t it a little loud?” He had to practically bend all the way down to her ear and they were just standing in the entryway.

“I thought you were working on evolving?” She winked and disappeared into the crowd forcing him to follow her to her perch at the bar.

“What are you drinking?” Liz asked him having already ordered herself a beer.

“A coke?”

“What are you twelve? If you are worried about drinking and driving you can at least have one and sober up by the time we have to go home.”

Liz was aiming below the belt. She knew he generally didn’t drink, but she felt that he’d lose some of his nervous energy with a drink in him.

“Fine, I’ll take a beer.”

Liz leaned over the bar and gestured to the bartender that she wanted two beers instead. Max sidled up against her, pushing his way between a couple that were making out on their stools.

The bartender returned with the beers and Max slid his card across the bar instructing him to keep the tab open. He was effectively standing between her open thighs and that fact was not lost on Liz.

“What band is this?” He said leaning into her body.

“The Kit-Shickers I think. Kyle’s Uncle’s band.”

“How do you know so much about Kyle?” He was getting jealous again. Silly man.

“I talk to people. I know it’s a strange concept, but I try to get to know people now and again. Do you never talk to the people who work for you?”

The look on his face told her he didn’t. She knew his relationship with her was far from the norm but now she was beginning to see how far he had deviated from his normal path to spend time with her.

“You should you know,” She said with a small smile, “People may surprise you.”

“You certainly do on a daily basis.” His tongue slipped out as his mouth closed around the bottle. She had to resist the urge to rub her thighs together because if she did she’d end up trapping him against her hips.

‘Now is not the time or the place, girls. Behave.’ She reprimanded her ovaries.

“I try.” She smiled downing more of her beer.

“Liz! Lizzie is that you?” Liz froze. Oh no. “Max I’m so sorry.”

“What? Why?” He placed a hand on her shoulder afraid she was going to bolt. Liz turned her attention to the two people walking up behind Max.

“Mom, Dad, why are you out on a Friday night?” She said with false cheer.

“We came to see Jim’s band!” Her Mom shouted.

“You make it sound like we aren’t allowed to have fun anymore.” Her dad joked as he tossed back the last of what appeared to be whiskey.

“Who’s your friend honey?” Nancy said with a wink.

‘Kill me. Strike me down with a bolt of lightning. Put me out of misery, God I beg of you.’

“Mom, Dad this is Max. Max these are my parents.” She whispered ‘I’m sorry’ to him again.
Max turned and gave them a bright smile.

“Nice to meet you Mr. Parker, Mrs. Parker,” He shook their hands in turn.

“Wow you have a nice strong grip,” Nancy said holding on to him a moment longer than she would have if she were sober, “Nice and big. Great hands to have.”

Liz downed the rest of her beer and signaled to the bartender to keep them coming.

“So how do you know my little girl here?” Jeff said sizing up the man who was wisely backing up from the space between Liz’s thighs.

“We work together.” Liz answered quickly. Somehow her parents knowing she was out on a date with her boss wasn’t high on her list of priorities.

“Isn’t that nice? I was just telling Liz at brunch the other day that she needed to find herself a nice young man and I guess she listened. Never has time to date the poor thing.”

Liz was bright red. Max was going to flee now. This was a horrible idea. Why did she bring him here?

“I guess all the better for me then that she stayed on the market.” He squeezed her knee reassuringly and smiled.

“How old are you Max?” Her Dad continued despite Liz’s glare for him to stop the interrogation.

“Thirty-Four.” Max didn’t back down.

“A little old aren’t you for my Lizzie?”

“Mom, I love Dad but can you make him stop please. He’s scaring away my date.” Liz pleaded with her mother. Nancy always was a sucker for romance.

“Come on Jeff, take me for a spin on the dance floor.” When her mother had them sufficiently out of sight, Liz covered her face with her hands.

“Liz. Liz, come on. Sure its not a conversation I wanted to have tonight but it wasn’t that bad.”

“Wasn’t that bad? My dad was two steps away from giving you the don’t have sex with my little girl talk.”

“I wouldn’t have listened.”

“What?” Liz said dropping her hands back to her lap.

“I wouldn’t have listened if he told me not to sleep with you. The only person who gets to tell me no is you.” Max clarified his voice huskier than she remembered.

‘Well hot damn, I need to change my panties.’ Liz thought.

They had a few more beers and on her dare a couple of shots before Max pulled her out to dance. They mercifully didn’t run into her parents again, which made her relax into Max’s touch. They were swaying to the slow ballad, his hand burning through the fabric at her hip, his thumb just brushing a sliver of skin that was revealed when she moved.

The strong buzz that they both were feeling made them a little more bold. Her hands played with the hair at the nape of her neck and his other hand released her right to find purchase on her hip bringing her flush against him.

He lowered his head barely brushing his mouth against her shoulder. She wanted him to kiss her, so badly. If she could she wanted to crawl inside him so there would be no space between them.
Her brain argued that they didn’t know each other well enough, that he was her boss. But the pull was stronger, more primal.

He raised his head his mouth just level with hers. All one of them needed to do was to move an inch and they’d touch. His eyes searched hers wanting to know that she need him too.

‘Do it. Do it. Do it!’ Her lady parts chanted.

‘Don’t you dare! He’s your boss!’ Her brain fought back.

Her mouth answered for her.

“I’m not telling you no, Max.”

Max understood what she was implying and he tentatively touched his lips to hers. Barely brushing them, before Liz’s body sprung into action. She pulled him more fully against her moving with an urgency she couldn’t control.

What had started as sweet quickly moved into a full on smoldering toe curling kiss. Liz could feel herself getting lightheaded from the lack of oxygen but she couldn’t be the one to end the kiss. Finally he pulled away but kept kissing the available skin in reach.

Liz’s eyes had trouble focusing but she could see the crowd watching the couple making out in the center of the room.

“Home, home, Max,” she demanded in his ear.

He managed to pull himself from her neck and they pushed through the crowd rushing outside to grab a cab. Neither of them were sober enough to make the drive. Liz was trying hard to behave in light of the fact that the cab driver was leering at her through the mirror but Max’s hand doing pornographic things in her lap was making it impossible.

“Wait until we get back to the Estate.” She warned.

He moved his hand to her thigh instead and began kissing her neck.

‘What the hell am I doing?’ She thought as they pulled into the drive.

‘Letting us make new friends, that’s what!’ Her lady parts shouted.

The moment the cab stopped, Max threw a bunch of bills to the driver and pulled Liz from the back was slipping his tongue into her mouth again. They propelled themselves forwards and soon he was pressing her against the front door with the force of his hips. Liz struggled to get the door opened under the assault. As soon as the door was opened, he hoisted her legs up and walked them up the stairs towards his room. They stumbled at the top and fell crashing to the floor.

Liz ground herself against him needing the friction to alleviate the ache. He let out a deep groan and pulled down her tank top to nip at the top of her breasts. She needed to focus or they would end up going at it right here in the foyer.

“Bed…bed…” she moaned as he pressed the heel of his hand into the seam of her jeans.

Max struggled to his feet and pulled her up half allowing her to stumble and half carrying her down the hallway.

‘We are going to the holy land!’ Her ovaries chanted as if they had just won the Superbowl of sex partners.

Her sole focus was exploring as much of his exposed skin as possible, Liz didn’t notice that she was in his bedroom until she was horizontal and he was climbing on top of her, pulling off her top and feasting on her bare breasts.

“I’ve wanted to taste you so badly, since that morning by the pool,” He murmured as he switched from one nipple to another.

Her hips squirmed and she brought her right leg up so he could grind his length against her.

“I want to keep you so badly, Liz…so…so badly. I need to...I don't want to give you up..” He sucked on her neck marking her while his hands explored her body. She moaned in response.

Liz basked in his attentions for a few minutes when she realized he was still fully clothed. She took him by surprise and flipped him off of her. Straddling his hips she ripped the rest of his shirt open—to hell with buttons. He can afford another one anyway.

Liz lowered her mouth to taste his skin. It tasted like fire with a hint of something sweet. Her downward journey was punctuated by his low groans when she licked his nipple and slid her hand into his pants.

‘Sweet lord, the man is packing.’

Liz had just given him a couple of strokes when she heard a change in his breathing. She looked up to see that he had succumbed to the alcohol and passed out.

‘NO!!!! WAKE UP YOU ASSHOLE!’ The lady parts cried.

“Max! Max!” She shook him but was only awarded a soft mumble.

‘This is not happening! I am way too sexually frustrated for this to happen now.’ Her entire body screamed that it felt cheated. Her ovaries felt like they had just been told that there was no Santa.

She slapped his face lightly but he didn’t wake.

Liz gave up with a huff settling in against him, her bare chest lying on top of his own and she gave in to the sandman as well.
Last edited by MorningStar on Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MorningStar
Enthusiastic Roswellian

The Assistant (AU, M/L, Adult) Chapter 13 1/17/11 pg 17

Post by MorningStar »

A/N: Wow thank you for the reviews. A lot of you are convinced that Max won't remember anything, but we will see how it pans out.

Let it be said that I plan on letting this story live up to its rating in the next few chapters. You are warned. :wink:

Chapter Thirteen

Liz woke up with a throbbing headache. She didn’t just have a cotton-mouth, oh no the dry crackle of skin near the corner of her lips informed her she had been drooling.

She cracked her eyes open protesting against the light. Liz was back in her bed. She was also wearing an oversized t-shirt that smelled like Max. She fumbled around her nightstand looking for her watch and noticed a glass of water and a bottle of Advil.

Max must have put them there for her. How the hell did he manage to do all of this when he was more annihilated than her last night? And more importantly did he have a phobia of her waking up next to him?

Liz swung her legs out of the bed, and realized her urgent need to pee. After relieving herself in the bathroom she assessed her damage in the mirror.

Eyes like a raccoon. Check

Hair that looked nested in, possibly by a raccoon. Check.

Drool at the corner of her mouth like a rabid raccoon. Check.

A receding alcoholic flush leaving her cheeks blotchy like a raccoon—oh piss it that makes no sense.

She tied her hair back and set about washing her face. The cool water seemed to restore some humanity to her countenance. Her teeth then received a good solid brushing. Liz was loath to discard the supremely soft t-shirt but she was in desperate need of a shower. She folded the garment carefully on her vanity and took a sinfully hot shower letting the water work its magic on her once more.

Liz emerged from the shower feeling like she might be able to salvage the day once she had some greasy food in her stomach. She had just wrapped a towel around herself when she caught site of two rather dark patches on her skin just above her collarbone. She shifted the towel downwards and noticed several more on the tops of her breasts.

‘What the hell? Max gave me hickies!’

Liz hadn’t had a hickey since Sean DeLuca convinced her to make out with him in his crappy little car when she was fifteen. She found it the next day and confronted him over it. He told her now other guys would see she was his. Liz promptly kneed him in the balls and told him she belonged to no man.

While she had no desire to ruin Max’s manly bits before she had a chance to get to know them better, she definitely was going to give him a piece of her mind. She would be reduced to turtlenecks and cleverly placed scarves all week in the office.

Max Evans was a dead man walking.

Had he known that Liz was on the warpath Max may have chosen not to sit on the edge of her bed and wait for her to return. When Liz emerged clad in a towel and spewing fire he wasn’t sure if he should be turned on or scared.

“You! You! I am going to murder you! And I will get away with it too, none of that easily traceable bullshit.”

“Liz, please calm down.” He looked too good; too perfect for someone who had drank his weight in beer and tequila. This just made her angrier.

“Calm down? You gave me hickeys you territorial jerk. Do you want to piss on me as well? Are you into that freaky R. Kelly shit?”

“What? You aren’t making any sense.” Max couldn’t keep up with her train of thought.

“Fine! You want to see your handy work!?”

Without any further adieu Liz dropped her towel exposing her chest.

“I look like a fucking Dalmatian.”

Max’s eyes dropped down to survey the damage. He hadn’t been aware that he’d made them but he seemed pleased to see them.

Liz let him get a good luck until she realized that he was now simply staring at her bared tits like she offered him a desert buffet. Quickly she covered herself back up and Max looked like a little boy caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

“Liz, I am really extremely sorry about the hickeys. But if you want me to be sorry about last night I can’t do that.” His voice was soft, and pleading.

He had to have been drunk, that was the only explanation of why he’d done what he did.

"Do you even remember last night?”

“Enough to know that if I hadn’t fallen asleep…” He didn’t need to finish that statement the tension in the air said it all. She swallowed.

“How are you not hung-over? Aren’t you in pain? Even the littlest amount?”

“I admit when I woke up I wasn’t in the best shape. But I took some meds, drank a lot of Gatorade and went for a work out.”

“Are you insane? You worked out.” Liz’s eyes were bugging out of her head.

“That’s what I’ve always done after a hangover. I was a bit of a partier in college.” He shrugged and scratched the back of his neck.

“And all this time I thought all I needed was greasy food.” Liz quipped.

Max smiled and produced a greasy breakfast sandwich from behind his back and held it out to her.
She recognized the packaging as being from the Crashdown. He’d gone back to the place that terrified him for her. A little of her anger dissipated and she gave him a look of awe.

“Your mother says it’s on the house provided that I take really good care of her baby girl.” He teased.

His waving of the breakfast sandwich under her nose alerted her to the scent of sweet bacon and fried egg.

“Hand it over.” All bets were off. Her stomach wanted that sandwich right now.

“I don’t know… I’m feeling kind of hungry myself.” He brought it up to his mouth.

“Take one bite of that and I’ll… I’ll”

“You’ll what exactly?” He raised a brow in challenge.

She dropped the towel again showing him her breasts and like clockwork his gaze shifted from her reaching arms to her perky tits. Liz knew it was a cheap shot but a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do. Quickly before he realized her ruse she reached out for the sandwich.

Max was faster, he simply used her momentum to propel her under the bed and trap her beneath him. He straddled her, pinning her legs with his weight and one hand held her wrists, the other the bagel.

“Now that you are immobilized we need to talk.” He started slipping into business mode.

“Max, I hate to break it to you. But having the talk with a girl while she’s pinned naked beneath you and you are keeping her from the breakfast sandwich of her dreams isn't exactly winning you any points.”

“I can’t believe I’m saying this,” He looked pained to do so, “Put your clothes back on, and I will give you this tasty delicious sandwich if you promise to talk with me after.”

She had been feeling so frustrated these past few weeks that she was tempted to say screw the sandwich and go for the sex. But she would behave, for now.

She wriggled her hands free and reached for the sandwich. He handed it over reluctantly and moved off her body into the space next to her on the bed. She didn’t make a move to get dressed. Let him look. Let him see what he missed cause he fell asleep like a pussy last night.

Then she proceeded to eat the sandwich with gusto. Max was a little frightened of how ferociously she attacked it. Liz threw in a few extra moans of pleasure and saw Max tense out of the corner of her eye.

When it was gone she stretched luxuriously pressing her breasts forward in an attractive manner.

“Alright, do you mind getting up so I can get dressed now?” Liz patted him on his thigh. Oh yes, he was hard all right, the man was pitching a tent that could comfortably house a party of six.

Max shot her an incredulous look. He’d just seen almost all there was to see and she was kicking him out now? He wasn’t even sure he could walk.

“If you want to talk, I do need to put something on.”

Liz could tell that he was two seconds away from saying fuck it and having his wicked way with her. He struggled to his feet, and then very slowly he managed to make his way out into her sitting room.

Liz: 2. Max: 1.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

They were sitting awkwardly next to each other on her couch. Liz had gone for a pair of stretchy yoga pants and a light weight t-shirt. It was comfortable unlike the silence that had settled between them since she joined him.

Both knew that they had a lot to work out but neither knew how to go about it. Liz was deathly afraid that she would say the wrong thing and he’d run for the hills.

For example:
‘Well Max, I know you are my boss and all, but I kind feel like your penis might be my ovaries’ soul mate. And I know that you may or may not have a hot, parent-approved piece waiting for you in New York, but if we could explore this connection by sharing in a series of dates followed up by hot sex, I’d appreciate it.’

Liz shook her head. While unfailingly honest, Max would have a panic attack if she said it. He moved closer to her and grabbed her hand so she had to look at him.

“Do you regret last night?” His voice had never been more like a small child’s but Liz was glad that he had spoken first.

“I regret the tequila shots, but nothing else. Do you?”

“I never seem to do the right thing when it comes to you. I’ve thought about last night happening thousands of times but never did I picture falling asleep in the middle of it.”

“That was quite a blow to my ego you know.” She said with a pout.

“Trust me, you have nothing to worry over,” He gave her a meaningful look.

‘Yes, he wants us! He wants us!’ The girls piped up from their spot in the peanut gallery.

“What do you want this to be?” Good girl, Liz, ask the question first. Let him define us so you don’t look like a crazy for wanting something he can’t give.

“I want us to be friends.” He swallowed heavily.

“Friends? Friends,” Liz said evenly. Well shit.

“Good.” He didn’t sound convinced.

“Great.” She wasn’t convinced.

“Friends.” He repeated and she nodded with a tight smile.

Liz wasn’t sure who had moved first, all she knew was they were locked in a furious battle of lips and tongues. He pressed her down into the couch cushions continuing his assault.

This was what they both needed. They needed to dispel the sexual tension that had haunted them since they met. If they fucked it out of their system then they’d be able to move on.

She wasn’t going to let him leave her hot and bothered again. This time Liz was going to take what she wanted. Her hands wriggled their way between his bodies and ripped his t-shirt up and over his head, before hastily removing her own. His hands were pulling her tight pants and underwear from her hips leaving her bare before him.

Then he pulled away.

‘What the fuck?’ Liz’s eyes snapped open.

His dark head had made its way down to the apex of her thighs and he was smirking at her.

“I believe I owe you, Ms. Parker.” He took on a business voice. His kicking ass and take no prisoners voice. So that’s how he wanted to play it.

Her ovaries fainted in a dead swoon.

His long fingers slid into her folds and were soon joined by his prodigious tongue. Her thighs wanted to clamp together, to keep him there so he could not leave. Dear god if he ever stopped she really would have to kill him.

Liz could feel the pressure building, the he crooked his finger and she saw another galaxy. The orgasm surged through her like a thousand electrical pulses. Hot damn, little earthquakes indeed.
He slowly raised his head and licked her from his fingers. Liz was fairly certain he just cured her hangover.

She wasn’t sure how she managed to undo his pants as he’d rendered her boneless, but he got her meaning and pulled them down enough to expose himself.

‘Well fuck me the boy is commando.’

Liz’s ovaries thought his thick erect cock was the most beautiful thing they’d ever seen. He pulled her up and positioned her over him, and Liz slowly slid down feeling him sheath himself inch by sweet delicious inch.

“God, Liz you’re tight.” He moaned leaning forwards to capture her lips in a scorching kiss.
It took a minute for her to accommodate him, as it had been a while. But holy Jesus she might as well have been a virgin because no one before had ever been like this. He was brushing his thumbs against her nipples, as she rode him with all she had.

Liz couldn’t keep up the furious pace and Max flipped them onto her back without slipping from her wet heat. He brought her legs up urging her to wrap them around his back as he thrust into her with almost a punishing slowness.

“Harder…God damn it, Mr. Evans fuck me harder,” she moaned.

He heard her request loud and clear and boy did he deliver. The couch was sliding around the floor as he picked up force. He anchored himself on the arm of the couch behind her head, and with his free hand reached for her clit.

“Let go, Ms. Parker. Come for me,” He ordered.

She did. Her resulting moan was probably loud enough for Kyle to hear down at the guesthouse. There was that galaxy again. If Max kept giving her orgasms like this she should take the time to name it. She’d call it Antar. She liked that.

He thrust into her a few more times, his pace more hurried and erratic. Then she felt him pulse then release into her. He stayed inside of her for a few minutes gathering his breath, then with great reluctance he slid out, and fell down onto the couch on top of her resting his cheek on her stomach.

“So its safe to say we’re not just friends then?” Liz said and he responded with an exhausted chuckle.

“I admit I don’t know much about having friends. But I do know that I’ve never wanted to do that with Michael.”

His laughter tickled her sides and she squirmed beneath him.

“I don’t know what we have, Max. But I do know I will never complain about you calling me Ms. Parker again if it ends up like this.”

“Work should be interesting then.” He responded with a smirk.

Liz was assaulted with a variety of fantasies of him taking her on his desk, her desk, his couch, on the copier, and against the wall by the shifty rubber plant.

God, she wanted him again. She reached down fully expecting to have to give him a minute to work up another erection. Her eyes popped open in surprise to find him ready and waiting.

“I will never tire of having you Liz.” He said answering her surprised gaze.

“Prove it.”

*~*~*~*~*~*

Let it be said that Maxwell Evans never backs down from a challenge. Liz was deliciously sore in all the right places. Somewhere between him taking her from behind in the shower and the slow tender exploratory sex in his bed they had come to an understanding.

For the first time, Liz went to bed in Max’s arms with the promise of still being in them come morning.
MorningStar
Enthusiastic Roswellian

The Assistant (AU, M/L, Adult) Chapter 14 1/19/11 pg 18

Post by MorningStar »

Chapter Fourteen

Liz woke up to butterfly kisses on her shoulder and a fingertip tracing patterns on her hip. Rolling over she was greeted by the sight of a shirtless Max propped up on his side smiling down at her.

“You watching me sleep?” She said through a yawn.

“Mmm…” He brushed some of her hair back behind her ear.

“I don’t want to go into work today. “ She mumbled pressing kisses against his chest.

“Don’t let your boss hear that. I’m told he’s a real bastard.”

“Oh the worst… he’s lucky he’s so attractive.” Liz looked up at him with her big doe eyes and he smiled.

“What makes him so attractive then?” He asked tugging on her hair.

“You really want a list?” Liz couldn’t believe he was serious.

“Enlighten me.”

Fine. She’d play.

“Alright, well he’s got amazingly soulful eyes,” Liz pressed a kiss to each eyelid.

“Adorable ears that stick out just a little too much,” She nipped his earlobe.

“Fully kissable lips,” She traced them with the tip of her tongue.

“A nice strong chest,” She pressed a kiss on his sternum.

“Fuck hot hands,” She pressed a kiss to his open palm then sucked on his index finger, biting the tip as she released it.

“You are killing me,” He groaned.

“You asked me to enlighten you, Max. Don’t tell me you want me to stop?”

“Don’t you dare stop,” He begged. She smirked knowing she had him eating out of the palm of her hand.

Liz slid further down the bed, running her hand over his abs. His muscles tensed and flexed under her touch.

“I love his absurdly perfect abs,” She continued.

“I want to spend all day licking this V,” She allowed her tongue to follow the ridges of his hipbone down towards the promised land.

Her hands slid off his hips to grab his ass.

“He’s got an amazingly tight ass,” Max jumped as she squeezed his cheeks.

“I think that’s everything.” Liz sat up and went back to her side of the bed.

Max sputtered in protest.

“What do you mean that’s it?” He lifted his hips calling attention to his cock, which was so hard she was fairly certain it could cut through diamond.

“You asked me to make an assessment and I listed the good parts.” Liz said stony faced.

“You didn’t leave out anything? Anything big?”

Liz pretended to think for a moment.

“Nope, nothing I can remember.”

“Well I’ll just have to remind you,” With a growl he had pinned her beneath him and thrust himself into her.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

To say Courtney was surprised when Max and Liz arrived together, late, for breakfast was putting in mildly. The fact that Mr. Evans was almost grinning creeped her out. Who was this man and what happened to her boss?

“Good morning, Courtney,” Liz said sweetly helping herself to some coffee.

“Liz, did you sleep well?”

“Yes, yes I did.” Liz sighed into her cup of coffee.

After Max’s morning reminder, they had grudgingly separated to shower and get dressed for the first time since Saturday morning. She wanted to taunt Max so she put on a fitted turtleneck (to cover the hickies), and an impossibly tight black skirt paired with her knee high boots.

“Did you work out this morning, Mr. Evans? I didn’t hear the treadmill going when I arrived. I want to make sure I clean it if you did.” Courtney asked curiously.

When Courtney came in through the servants’ entrance, and yes the home was pretentious enough to have one, she passed by the gym. Normally the sound of Max’s feet pounding against the treadmill would greet her but the entire room was dark and silent.

Courtney assumed he had just gotten his workout in early. Mr. Evans never deviated from his schedule in all the years she’d known him.

“I actually didn’t make it down to the gym. I decided to do a work out in my bedroom instead.” He answered calmly.

‘Why was Liz squirming?’ Courtney wondered.

The reason would have shocked her into a heart attack if she knew. Thank god she didn’t make the connection that Max’s right hand had gone missing from the table.

Liz’s fork fell to her plate with a clatter.

“You know I think I’m done.” Liz choked out.

“Yes, we should probably head to the office. Courtney, have a nice day.” Mr. Evans rose straightening out his suit before pulling out Liz’s chair and escorting her from the room.

Something strange was going on, Courtney was sure of it.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

As soon as they were in the town car and Michael was firmly in the driver’s seat behind the partition Liz was undoing her boss’s fly.

“Turn about is far play, Mr. Evans.” She challenged before taking him firmly in her mouth.

“Liz…oh my god, Liz.” He groaned out as she began to fondle his balls.

‘That’s right Mr. Evans, let Liz Parker take you to Antar.’

She started purring around him and the grip he had on her head tightened. He was doing everything in his power to fight the natural urge to thrust himself repeatedly down the back of her throat.

Liz felt him tighten and prepared herself to swallow. He didn’t disappoint. She greedily took everything he gave, letting him fall from her lips with a small pop before she gently tucked him back inside his dress pants.

Liz had never been so grateful to have a lack of gag reflex in her life. When she was nine, she realized that her Popsicle went further into her mouth than Maria’s did. Nancy informed her of her condition and told her that one day it would be a very good thing. Creepiness aside of the fact that her mom alluded to blow jobs when she didn’t even think about boys, Nancy Parker was right.

“What was that for?” He looked at her with glazed eyes when he came down from his Earth shattering orgasm. Oh yeah, he totally went to Antar on that one.

“I remembered I didn’t get a chance to have any protein with my breakfast. And you know Mr. Evans, it’s the most important meal of the day.” Liz fixed her make-up while looking in her compact mirror.

“Happy to help you meet your nutritional requirements.” He breathed out.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

When they arrived at work Max slipped back into his Mr. Evans persona. It almost scared Liz how easily he could make the change. It was taking everything she had not to jump him in the elevator and he seemed completely nonplussed.

It was just as well because she would never attempt anything at work. She could be professional. Sure she wanted her boss to bend her over his desk and give it to her, but that wasn’t all that different from what she wanted last week except now she knew exactly how well he could give it to her.

Liz slid behind her desk, sitting a little more gingerly than she normally would. Even though her body loved every second of their 48-hour marathon, she had to pay the piper sometime.

Her email loaded and she saw a flight confirmation in her inbox. She and Max were flying into JFK on Wednesday morning for the Gala even though it wasn’t until that Friday night. Max would be in and out of meetings Thursday and Friday. Then they would fly home on Sunday morning.

Liz had never been to New York. She had always meant to take a bus down from Boston when she was at school but could never find the time nor the money in her budget for a weekend in the city. She knew that for the majority of their trip she’d be stuck in the Evans-Harding building, but she hoped to get a little sight seeing in on Wednesday and Saturday.

The phone rang interrupting her Google search of the top ten places to see in the city.

“Mr. Evans office?” She answered automatically while book marking the website so she could browse it later.

“Liz, is that you dear?”

“Yes it is, Mrs. Evans. Did you want to speak with Max?” She had learned to identify Diane Evans voice with ease. She called almost daily to chat with her son. It was a little worrisome, either Max was an utter momma’s boy or she wasn’t ready to let him leave the nest.

“Actually I was hoping to speak with you.” Liz held the phone away from her ear in surprise.

‘Oh no, did she find out I violated her son? Does she have a sixth sense or something?’

“How can I help you?” She tried to keep her voice bright.

“You can convince my son to come out to lunch at the house on Saturday after the gala.”

“I see.” Well fuck there goes my plans of doing naughty things with him all day.

“And what time would you like Max to join you?” Liz pulled up the calendar and started to take notes.

“At noon. This invitation is extended to you as well dear.”

No! Not the parents. This is far too awkward. Liz wished she could grab Max and have him save her from this conversation but the door was shut and he was on another phone call.

“Thank you, Mrs. Evans. However, I don’t think it would be appropriate.” Good, polite deflection.

“Nonsense. If Max gives you any flack tell him that I requested you personally. I know we will probably run into each other at the Gala but it’s so hard to have a proper conversation at one of those events.”

“Well then, I will be seeing you on Saturday. Can I bring anything?” Liz considered maybe taking ill on Saturday morning. Max would understand.

“You are sweet. No we have people to take care of that sort of thing.”

Of course they had people. How easy it was to remind her that Max came from a world she could only dream about. Servants in a proverbial castle raised him while she was waiting tables in her parent’s rundown restaurant from the age of fifteen.

“Right, was there anything else?”

“No, that was it. I’m so excited to have my son home. You’ll have to forgive me. Take care, Liz.”

Why was it that God saw fit to punish the two of them with meeting the parents before they even were officially dating? Was it because they were having sex out of wedlock? Did she do horrible things in a past life?

“Ms. Parker, please come into my office.” Her entire body shivered and she found herself growing wet like one of Pavlov’s dogs at the sound of his voice.

She grabbed a pen and notepad, smoothed down her skirt and walked into his office. If she thought they were going to re-enact a sexy boss and naughty secretary scenario they were sorely mistaken.
Max was leaning over his desk rubbing the back of his neck as he looked over a file in front of him.

“Max, are you alright?” She asked softly.

“I find that none of these files are in order. I can’t even find the information I need to put together my presentation to the board.” His voice had started out calm but by the end he was nearly shouting.

Liz flinched like a frightened animal. She had not forgotten about his propensity to anger quickly but she had hoped that she would not see it again for a while, or at least not directed at her.

“How many files are affected, sir?” Liz attempted to keep her voice even. She couldn’t understand it. She impeccably filed all the documents he had given her and even went back to redo the entire filing system over the course of several afternoons.

“All of them damn it,” He punctuated this by throwing a file he was holding down on the desk, hard.

“I am not sure how this could have happened, but I assure you I will have it fixed.”

“Ms. Parker, I have not doubted your abilities before. But right now, I am not sure what to think.” His voice was cold, so different from the warm man she had come to know and cherish over the weekend.

He dismissed her from his office and Liz sat at her desk for a moment trying to stop her hands from shaking. It just didn’t make sense, she knew that all the files he needed for New York were in perfect order. She went through them several times on Friday.

Liz tried to think of what could have happened between then and now. The files had originally been stored in Mr. Evans’ office in one of his locked filing cabinets. When she took them to organize them, she had locked them in her desk with the full intention of returning them to his office on Saturday morning.

But they had never come in on Saturday morning. So the files should have still been in her desk and not back in his filing cabinet. Which stands to reason that someone with access to this floor and his office was trying to sabotage him. But whom?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Michael, I need a huge favor,” Liz asked barging into his office where he sat inf ront of a state of the art monitoring system.

“What can I do for you, Liz?”

“I think someone broke into Mr. Evans office over the weekend and messed with some files.”

Michael sat up straighter and gestured for her to take a seat. Liz explained what had happened with the files, leaving out the reason that they never came in on Saturday, which Michael thankfully glossed over.

“Who has access to his floor on weekends?”

Michael entered some information into the computer and pulled up a restricted access list. Her name, Max’s name and Michael’s name were all on it, along with the executive janitors and Isabel Evans.
Isabel. It had to have been her.

“Do we have security footage?”

“Yes, but we don’t have any cameras up on this floor. Just one in the elevator.”

“So if we see who was in the elevator we will know who did this.”

“You won’t be able to prove anything, but you will be able to narrow it down.”

“I think I know who did it, but you wont like it.”

“You think it was Isabel?”

“Who else would know what files to go for? Who else would know that Max and I weren’t coming in? Everyone else would have assumed that we would have been working all day.”

“For all our sakes I hope you are wrong. It’s going to take me some time to get the tapes sent up. I’ll call you when I hear anything.”

“Thank you, Michael.” Liz said with a relieved sigh. At least she had one person on her side.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Liz was knee deep in files and sitting on the floor behind her desk trying in vain to make sense of the damage that was done to them.

“Ms. Parker are you ready to go?” Max asked at the end of the day, suit jacket slung over his arm with his black leather satchel.

“I am sorry, I have,” Liz took a moment to breathe, “I apparently have a lot of work to do so I’m going to stay behind. Unless you need me for something at the Estate, then I will just come back later.”

“Liz…I know I was upset about the files but surely there is another time you can do them.” He didn’t seem to understand the zone of frazzled determination she had set herself into.

“There is a lot of work that needs to be done tomorrow before we leave on Wednesday, so no Mr. Evans there isn’t exactly another time. I’ll be fine, Michael already agreed to have someone drop my car off later.”

She turned her attention back to the cost reports for the past quarter.

“How late do you plan to stay here?” His voice was concerned; she didn’t want to look at him.

“Until I am finished.”

“That’s insane, Liz.”

“No what is insane that I have to do this now when they were perfectly ordered before. I can’t believe that someone came in here and messed with them.”

“Liz, I am upset that that this is occurring. But what you are implying is that someone in my company maliciously tried to destroy it.”

Liz scrambled to her feet; she couldn’t make a rousing case when she was on her knees.

“I am aware of that Mr. Evans. I am also highly aware that when we left here on Friday these files were locked in my desk. I was going to return them to your filing cabinets on Saturday morning after I had made my final review of them. But because we never made it in on Saturday I never had the chance.

“Funny isn’t it how they somehow made their way back into your filing cabinet then without my help this morning.” Liz finished.

“Who would do such a thing?”

“You don’t want to know the answer. And until I have the evidence I need I’d rather not go accusing the wrong person.”

“Liz, if there is corporate espionage or file tampering going on I need to know this right now. Who do you think it was?” Max wouldn’t relent until she answered him, but, god did she hope for all their sakes she was wrong.

“Isabel…I think it was your sister, Isabel.” Liz forced the words out of her mouth.

“No. She wouldn’t that’s insane.”

“Max, Michael and I have narrowed down the people who had access to the floor. Isabel is the only person who would have the motive and the knowledge of which files to disrupt. Check the rest of the files in the filing cabinet; they are all as perfect as I normally keep them. Whoever did this specifically went after the information that the Board of Directors needed to see.”

Max dropped heavily into her chair.

“Who else knows about this?”

“Just Michael.”

“Tell no one else. Let me deal with my sister.” His voice was low and dangerous; a king about to order an execution.
MorningStar
Enthusiastic Roswellian

The Assistant (AU, M/L, Adult) Chapter 15 1/22/11 pg 21

Post by MorningStar »

A/N: Sorry everyone for the delay. My muse deserted me briefly, the evil wench and when she came back I had the misfortune of getting sick. That being said I've written this chapter hopped up on Nyquil. Liz goes shopping for her gown in this chapter, I've included the link to the dress herehttp://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/store/ca ... _sku=B182Z

Chapter Fifteen

If Liz kept a list of the top five most awkward silences in her life, this moment would be on them. Ever since she had accused Isabel of tampering with the files Max had been standoffish. Liz had thrown in hours of overtime to get them back into shape so he could prep his presentation.

Having a purpose kept her focus off of the enigmatic man sitting next to her. But sitting next to him trapped on airplane for the next eight hours was driving her insane. He didn’t talk he just continued to work on his laptop, ear-buds in as he listened to music.

Liz had attempted to return her attention to the book in front of her but then Max would shift and she’d get a whiff of his scent and she’d be distracted yet again. She glanced at his computer out of the corner of her eye trying in vain to see what he was typing but the privacy screen showed her only a dark glare. Bastard.

If he weren’t typing so much she wouldn’t put it past him to be playing solitaire to avoid her. Maybe he was writing erotic fanfiction. That made her snort. Max’s eyes snapped to her as he looked at her in confusion.

‘How had he heard that? Oh, son of a bitch he’s not even listening to music. He just doesn’t want me to make conversation.’ Liz thought.

“Something caught in my throat,” She lied before dramatically returning her attention to her book.
He allowed her to sit in silence and pretend to read the same page over and over again for almost another hour before he shut his laptop and turned to her.

“Listen, Liz. I’m sorry for the past couple of days. But you have to understand, New York is a whole other ball game. I can’t afford to screw anything up. Its bad enough that I will have to report that Whitaker will pull our government funding.”

“I understand.”

She did. She understood that he still blamed her deep down for that. Yes she would have judged him harshly if he had gone through with sleeping with Whitaker but ultimately it was his decision. Liz didn’t like how he was alluding to the fact that she might compromise his dealings again.

“While we are there I think it’s best if we maintain a strictly professional relationship.” Max continued fiddling with the cuff of his shirtsleeve.

“Have I ever not treated you with the professional courtesy and respect you deserve in the workplace?” Liz lowered her voice, which was laced with confusion.

“I’m not referring to just the workplace, Liz. I mean beyond it. I can’t afford any distractions.”
So the truth comes out. She was a distraction. A fun little diversion for him. Asshole.

“I see. I am sure that if you find my presence too distracting that I can book a room for myself at a hotel.”

Liz didn’t want to be around him after him saying that. God did she want some distance. Besides, New York had nice hotels and she was sure that she could have the company spring for a good one.

“No, Liz. God…that’s not what I want.” His voice was laced with desperation but he had to understand how his inability to know what he wanted was killing her.

“I’m sorry, Mr. Evans, I am not a mind reader and I don’t even think a mind reader would be capable of understanding what you really want.”

“I care about you, Liz. But, I have responsibilities in New York and sometimes when I’m with you, I don’t think as rationally as I should,” He started and paused as if he didn’t know how to articulate the necessary words, “I need to tell you something, before we get there. It’s about Tess Harding.”

Liz’s head snapped up. How could she forget about the perfect woman waiting for him? Oh god, he was still dating her wasn’t he. She was the other woman and he wanted her to keep quiet. Liz felt sick. Her hands started fumbling for the seat belt but she couldn’t seem to work it.

“Liz…calm down it’s not what you think. Please, let me explain.”

She took a deep breath and released the seatbelt, instead wrapping her hands tightly around the armrests.

“As far as our parents and Evans-Harding are concerned, Tess Harding and I are together. It started as a publicity campaign, to drum up some interest in the company by having the two of us date. But then my father and Ed, they got it in their heads that if the two of us married and united…Well what a picture perfect marriage of shareholders that would make.” His tone was bitter but pleading.

Liz’s knuckles had turned white from her death grip; she could feel the hard plastic pressing her nails back into her flesh. She couldn’t make herself look at Max. How was she supposed to after that? She was the other woman as far as the public and his parents were concerned.

“Tess and I indulge them, but we aren’t that way with each other. She’s in grad school and wants to go into literature. She could care less about the company or family business. We quietly date whom we want. And our parents are kept happy.” He finished valiantly trying to capture her gaze.

If he could look into her eyes, he would know instantly what she felt. If she would just give him her eyes. When she finally turned the force of her gaze on him he was stunned by the emotions he found there. Hurt. Confusion. Betrayal. Hope?

“What is this to you, Max?” It took all of her strength to force those words out from her body but if she never asked she would never forgive herself.

“For right now, these next few days, all you can be is my friend and my assistant. But know that you mean more.”

Was that enough? Liz wasn’t sure. What was more? More could mean she was the love of his life, though she was fairly positive she wasn’t. More could mean that she was his girlfriend. More could even mean that she was his fuck buddy. It was such an open ended word and such a copout she wanted to scream and lash out against him.

It was her own fault for allowing herself to be swept up by him, the idea of him. Now she would have to grin and bear it. It was a shame; she had been looking forward to New York.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A dark suited man greeted them at baggage claim holding up a sign that said Evans. He grabbed Max’s luggage from the carousel and hers as well loading it on to a trolley he had on standby.

The moment the wheels of the plane had touched the ground Liz had been set back weeks. She was the assistant, subservient and only spoke when spoken to. Max for his part had flawlessly become Mr. Evans the Vice President and one of New York’s elite. His phone had rung shortly after they landed and she heard him talking to what appeared to be his lawyer.

Liz tuned him out and tried to focus on the sites flying by outside of the town car window. When they pulled by Central Park, the leaves just starting to turn she smiled with all the joy and wonderment of a child.

Mr. Evans paused mid-conversation to stare at her. Liz could feel his eyes and turned to look at him shyly, unable to remove the simple pleasure from her face. He smiled in return, the corner of his mouth slanting upwards. Her Max was still there under the surface. She just needed to remember that.

Soon they were pulling up to Max’s apartment. Though apartment was too mild a word for what it was—an elegant old brownstone the front covered in ivy and a set of steps accompanied by elegant swirling wrought iron rails.

The front door opened and a pretty blonde woman came forward to shake Mr. Evans hand.

“Hello Ms. Dupree, it is nice to see you again.” He stated formally.

“Mr. Evans. And you are Ms. Parker, I presume. It is a pleasure to finally meet you.” She shook Liz’s hand quickly.

Laurie Dupree was a little too thin, a little too quiet. But perhaps her shyness was built in from years of working for Mr. Evans with all of his rules. There was a kindness in her pale blue eyes; Liz thought she might find a friend here after all.

“Everything is ready and stocked according to Ms. Parker’s specifications.” Laurie led them inside.

Fresh flowers, white roses her favorite, greeted her in the foyer. A brilliant wooden staircase led upwards and down a narrow hallway they came to the living room. Instantly, Liz could see that this place was far more suited to Max’s tastes than the Estate was. This was the place he had made home.

“Are you sure that you do not wish me to place a call to have your household staff ready?”

“Yes, Ms. Dupree. I would rather be alone this weekend, thank you.”

Liz’s brow quirked at that. Why would Max not want his staff to be present? Maybe he was afraid that they’d notice him being a little too friendly with his assistant.

“Very well, I will take my leave then. Ms. Parker do you wish to share my car to your hotel?”

Liz opened her mouth to reply but Mr. Evans cut her off.

“Ms. Parker will be staying here. I need her to help me finish my presentation and it’s easier if she doesn’t have to contend with the traffic.” Mr. Evans answered with some finality.

Laurie hid her shock well. Liz caught only a flash of it before her face was composed and neutral.

“Of course, Mr. Evans. I will see you tomorrow.”

When she left Max loosened his tie, removing it completely and shrugged out of his coat, tossing it absentmindedly on the chair.

“Your room is at the top of the stairs on the right, if you want to go ahead and get settled in. I need to make a private call.”

Liz nodded, slinging her bags over her shoulders as she climbed the stair. Various artworks decorated the wall, most of them large prints of black and white photographs. They had a theme of old Victorian houses, Liz noticed. Maybe his decorator had a fetish?

The room he had directed her to was done up in warm earthy tones. It reminded her a great deal of the desert and it was comforting. She wondered if Max had placed her there for that very reason.

As she unpacked her clothing she began to realize that it might not be appropriate for a trip where she was now strictly his assistant. Liz had envisioned a weekend of hot sex breaking in a new apartment. Her hands closed around a deep blue bustier. Yes, definitely packed incorrectly on this one.

She hung up the few business outfits she had brought with her for the occasion. Liz knew she would have to find a gown for the Gala, she’d just have to expand her shopping trip a little.

Her phone rang; she answered it without looking at the caller id.

“Hello?”

“Hello again, Ms. Parker. It has been brought to my attention that you might not have appropriate attire for the Gala.” Ms. Dupree’s voice barely above a whisper came through the receiver.

“Yes, I decided to put off buying a dress until I was here in New York.”

“I figured as much. New Mexico doesn’t exactly scream fashionable. I’ve set you up an appointment at Bergdorf’s. They’ll be expecting you at three thirty.”

‘Wow, Bergdorf Goodman’s? She almost squealed, if only Maria could see her now.’

“Great. Laurie, I have a quick question for you.”

“Certainly…Liz. What can I help you with?” Laurie said her name like it was a foreign language strange on her tongue.

“I happened to forget one of my bags back in New Mexico that had a lot of my more…casual clothing in it. Were there any shops that you enjoyed here that might have something up my ally?” That sounded like a reasonable lie. Far better than the truth.

“I do know a few cute boutiques in SoHo that you might like. I’ll email you a list of places when I have a free moment.”

“Thank you, I appreciate it.”

The long flight had made her parched, and soon Liz descended the stairs looking for the kitchen. As she walked past the living room she caught the tail end of Max’s phone conversation.

“…of course I will make myself available to you…Yes, I agree this is something that needs to be done. I will see you at 8:00 sharp. Take care.” Max finished up his call and wandered into the hallway nearly colliding with Liz.

“Going somewhere tonight?” Liz hoped she didn’t sound clingy. She was just curious. It had to deal with his schedule and she was the keeper of the schedule.

“Yes…business dinner. They want to welcome me back.”

“Great.” Her first night in the city and he was leaving her alone.

“There are a variety of take-out menu’s in the top drawer of the island. I believe the fridge is also stocked if you would prefer to make something yourself.”

“Have no fear, Mr. Evans. We common folk are capable of feeding ourselves without a staff of twenty.”

“Right.”

“I will be heading out to get my gown around three this afternoon, so you are aware. Do you need my assistance for anything else? I thought I might try to get in a bit of sight-seeing, unless that is frowned upon.”

“You are your own woman for the afternoon.” He meant it to be teasing but it just cemented the idea that in his head he owned her. Liz didn’t like it one bit.

She walked blindly down the hallway where she came into a newly updated kitchen. It took her a few tries before she found a glass amongst the cupboards, and she filled it from the spout on the fridge. Liz took a long drink, the water soothing her parched throat almost instantly.

“Ms. Parker… I was wondering if...I mean I was curious to know,” Mr. Evans stammered from the doorway.

“Curious to know what exactly, sir?”

“Could you… Would you be so kind as to,” He shoved his hands deep into his pockets and shook a thought from his head.

“I would be glad to help you, I just need to know what it is you are asking for.”

“Right. I just wanted to see if you could make sure that Michael knows of my dinner plans.” He finished lamely.

Liz was almost positive that was not what he wanted to ask her, but he had backed off. She knew that it must have been toeing the line of professionalism, but damn if she didn’t care to know what it was he really wanted.

“Of course.”

Max turned on his heel and strolled away from the door, she could hear the creek of the old floorboards letting her know that he had disappeared upstairs.

There was something humanizing about knowing that he had as much trouble with the distance between them as she did. But it was a distance of his own making and he would have to be the one to fix it.

Did she want him to fix it? Did she really want to roll around with him in the sheets here at night and pretend that they were mere acquaintances with his family? Her ovaries were all about the sex. They missed their soul mate. Her brain and her heart however knew that it would just add to the confusion and probably hurt her more in the long run.

What would it take for Maxwell Evans to grow some balls for once and stand up to his father against the absurd idea of an arranged marriage in the 21st century?

A yawn escaped her lips and she thought that a nap might be a great use of her time before she went through the marathon that was dress shopping. She set the alarm on her phone to wake her up half an hour before she needed to leave and passed out on the ultra-soft bed.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Welcome to Bergdorf Goodman’s,” An immaculately dressed older woman who looked like she came out of a catalog greeted her at the door.

“Hello. My name is Elizabeth Parker, I believe I have an appointment.”

“Of course, Ms. Parker. Please follow me. Pamela will be taking care of you today.”

Liz followed the woman away from the main store into a smaller room that looked like a sitting area save for the large three way mirror against one wall and a rack of elegant gowns that had already been pulled.

“Pamela is just finishing up another appointment but she will be right with you. Can I offer you anything while you wait? Mineral water? Champagne?”

‘Holy fuck, they offered you booze? Yes please.’

“A glass of champagne would be heaven right now.”

“I know the feeling. Please get comfortable and someone will be right with you.”

Liz sank down into the over stuffed white settee. She only had a minute to herself when a young raven haired woman who had bitch written all over her entered carrying a glass of champagne.

“Hello, Ms. Parker. I am Pamela and I will be your style consultant this afternoon.”

“Thank you, its nice to meet you.” Liz said accepting the flute and taking a sip. Her entire body tingled, oh yes this was the good stuff.

“Now, we had an approximate measurement for you, but nothing too accurate so there may be a little trial and error, I’m afraid. If you wouldn’t mind stripping down to your panties we may get started.”

Liz swallowed heavily. She could get practically naked in front of a total stranger. People go to nude beaches in Europe all the time.

“Is that really necessary? May I keep my bra on?”

“Ms. Parker many of the gowns we have selected for you are not meant to be worn with a basic issue bra if they afford the coverage for a bra at all.” Pamela said with the patience one might explain something to small child.

Liz downed more of her champagne sitting it on the low table beside her. Before she lost her nerve she was unbuttoning her top. As soon as her clothes were removed and folded on the settee, it took all of her strength not to fold her arms over her chest. She knew that she had very little uptop, and while Max didn’t seem to mind one bit it didn’t mean that the overly enhanced woman in front of her wasn’t silently judging her.

“Great, now with your complexion I’ve pulled a few things. You are quite short, so we may have to have them hemmed. Luckily we have a tailor on staff. Please step up on to the platform.”

Pamela returned with a bright red gown which she instructed Liz to step into. The silk was wonderful against her body but the sweetheart strapless bodice didn’t sit well against her chest.

“Hmm… I don’t think this works with your frame,” Pamela stood behind her pulling the fabric flush to see what it would look like with tailoring, it still didn’t flatter.

“No, mind. I think we just need to go in a different direction with the gowns, if you wouldn’t mind taking that one off.”

Liz slipped the fabric from her, afraid that she would rip it. Covertly when Pamela was busy sorting through the racks she peeked at the price tag: $9,995.00. Holy shit! This dress was worth more than her car.

“I think I’ve found the one.” Pamela returned with an elegant satin dress in deep green.

The minute Liz put it on she felt taller more elegant. It was breathtaking— a throw back to the art deco period. The deep v in the front and back worked well with her lack of cleavage and the gold metal belt drew attention to her trim figure.

“What do you think, Ms. Parker?”

“I think it’s perfect.”

“Wonderful. We will have to get this hemmed. If you don’t mind waiting, I will see if I can grab one of our seamstresses to pin the gown now.”

Staring at herself in the mirror, Liz saw someone different. She saw a woman who looked like she belonged in this world of chauffeured cars and household staffs. When she turned to the side she caught site of her hand made earrings and realized that part of her could never adapt to this world.

“Here we are Ms. Parker. Now please stay as still as possible. Wouldn’t want you to get stuck with the needle.”

Liz held her breath as the small grey haired woman began pinning various sections of her dress, taking up the hem and fitting it more dramatically to her sides.

“You must be very careful when lifting off the dress. Or you will get pricked and bleed all over fabric.” The seamstress warned in a thick Russian accent.

With great care and her assistance Liz managed to get the gown off with only a slight scratch that she didn’t dare mention to Pamela who would have probably gotten some sick sort of amusement out of it.

“We should have this dress ready for you to pick up on Friday morning.” Pamela explained as she let her redress.

When it was time to pay, Liz almost peed her pants. Her hands physically shook as she handed over the card.

‘This is what you got extra money for. Don’t think about the fact that the cost of this dress alone could pay off months of student loans.’

“Please keep hold of this ticket. It will allow you to pick up your dress later. We do offer a courier service if you prefer for an additional fee.”

“I’ll take the courier service, I believe I will be quite busy come Friday.” Pamela smiled and entered in some more information into the computer such as the address where she wished it to be delivered.

Liz frantically avoided looking at the computer screen when it displayed the price, and simply tried to sign the slip when it was given to her.

Damn, the total was right above the spot for her to sign. Liz scrawled her name down and it came out more harried and less legible than normal.

She gave the woman a tight smile and polite goodbye before she was rushing back out on to 5th Avenue and taking a deep breath.

Liz Parker did not just spend $8,000.00 on a dress. She couldn’t have. She needed to call Maria a.s.a.p.
MorningStar
Enthusiastic Roswellian

The Assistant (AU, M/L, Adult) Chapter 16 1/24/11

Post by MorningStar »

A/N: I'm sorry for the delay in posting again. I can't shake this damn cold. This is a short one, but I think it will take you all by surprise. Thanks for the reviews.

Chapter Sixteen

“Is it sexy? I bet a dress that much is total sex.” Maria squealed over the speakerphone.

Liz was busy putting moisturizer on her legs as Maria chattered away. It made her feel like her best friend was there in her room with her, as she would have been if Max Evans hadn’t turned her life upside down.

“I think it’s more classy than sexy.” Liz admitted as she wiped her hands on a towel.

“Classy is a code word for boring.”

She didn’t think her dress was boring. It was understated and sophisticated, but not boring. Maria would eat her words when she saw a photo, she knew it.

“Well, I’m only at this benefit as an assistant, Maria. I’m not supposed to stand out.”

“That is such a cop out.”

Liz could hear the doorbell ring from downstairs and told Maria she’d call her back. Max had already left for his business dinner and Liz was planning to enjoy his absence by vegging in front of his flat screen and giving herself a pedicure.

When Liz opened the door she did not expect the small blonde woman standing on the other side.

“Hi, I’m Tess. You must be Liz.”

Tess Harding didn’t resemble the polished princess that the photos showed online. Her curly hair was straightened, and fell loosely about her face. Liz took notice of a glint of metal; wow she had a lip-ring. She was wearing a white wife beater, a black bra showing through underneath and a pair of ripped up jeans. If Liz was being honest the woman looked to be about sixteen instead of in her mid-twenties.

“Yes…hi. Max isn’t here.” Liz blurted out. In her head when she finally encountered Tess Harding she wasn’t wearing a pair of sweat pants and a t-shirt of Max’s that she may have stolen from his closet.

“I know. He actually called me on his way to dinner and asked me to come over. He feels utterly gutted that he couldn’t take you around the city. So he requested that I offer my services.”

“That’s very kind of you, but I don’t want to put you out or anything.”

“Nonsense. Get dressed and we’re going out on the town.”

Not knowing a way to refuse her, Liz went up to her room and slipped on a pair of jeans and a black tank top. Then headed back down stairs with her purse in tow.

“How do you feel about beer?”

“I like it?”

“Awesome. I know the best dive bar downtown. My friend’s band is playing tonight.”

Tess hailed them a cab and Liz slid in next to her. Tess seemed incapable of allowing any lulls in conversation. She chatted aimlessly about her friend the guitarist and how excited she was to see them play new songs.

The bar she took her to was a little hole in the wall. The bouncer seemed to know Tess and he waved them through with little fuss. The floor was sticky underfoot and Liz couldn’t help but notice that Tess seemed to know a lot of the male clientele as well.

They grabbed a table facing the stage and Tess ordered them a pitcher of beer.

“To be honest I was a little surprised when Max told me about you. He normally doesn’t feel the need to make sure his assistants are entertained.”

Liz didn’t know how to respond. She felt that she needed to refute her statement and say that she was just a simple assistant but she knew Tess would see through her.

“How long have the two of you been sleeping together?” Tess asked casually.

Liz sputtered, her eyes bugging out of her head.

“What? Why would you say that? I wouldn’t… Mr. Evans is my employer and you’re his girlfriend.”

“Cut the bullshit. I know Max told you about our arrangement. Frankly, it’s normally me bringing a variety of strays home. He doesn’t date much.”

Liz couldn’t control the blush sweeping up her face and tried to hide behind her hair.

“Oh please don’t be such a puritan. Sex is sex. Max is a very attractive man and you are an attractive woman. I’d question your sexual preferences if you weren’t banging each other.”

“So what exactly did Max say to you?” Liz asked letting her curiosity get the better of her.

“Aww, Honey, you’ve got it bad don’t you?” Tess teased.

“You like to make people uncomfortable don’t you?” Liz bit back.

“You’re fiery. Fine, I’ll humor you because not knowing will probably make you go cry into your pillow tonight. The fact that Max ran you by me means that he’s serious. We don’t exactly feel the need to tell each other about every casual fuck we have. When we try to date seriously, Max has to know about whom I’m with and I need to know whom he’s with. And let me tell you its often me calling Max and rarely me receiving that phone call.“

Tess poured them each another glass of beer.

“So when you called the other day and needed to speak to him…”

“Yes, I was letting him know about my latest playmate.”

“And are you still with this playmate?”

“Why? Would you be threatened by me if I wasn’t?” Tess gave her a wicked grin.

Tess signaled to a man with a grey t-shirt, a few days of scruff and dirty blonde hair that had just gotten off the stage. He came over with a cheeky grin and pulled her from her chair where he proceeded to do some deep exploration of her throat with his tongue.

“Who’s your friend? She’s hot.” The man said with a British accent and a grin as he pulled away.

“Behave!” Tess bit his bottom lip.

“Charlie Bradmore,” He offered his hand to her.

“Liz Parker,” She moved to shake it but he placed a kiss on the back of her hand instead.

“I apologize for Charlie. He’s been trying to talk me into a threesome for weeks.”

“I maintain that she would love it. And if Tess were a decent girlfriend, she’d indulge me.” They proceeded to play tonsil hockey once more.

“How do the two of you know each other?” Liz asked wanting to take the conversation back to a normal place.

“We met in class,” Charlie said with a lecherous smirk.

“Oh so you are in grad school too?”

“Not exactly.” He responded taking Tess’s chair and pulling her down into his lap.

“He’s my erotic poetry teacher. I maintain that he has a school girl fetish.”

“I love a woman in a short plaid mini-skirt as much as the next person. But this one likes to write some extremely naughty and suggestive prose. I thought they might make good lyrics, and I was right,” Charlie pressed a kiss to her cheek.

“If music be the food of love, play on.” Liz quoted.

Charlie slammed his glass down and barked out a laugh.

“Ah you like Shakespeare? We are practically related you know on the account that we are both British.”

So the conversation went talking about everything from the Twelfth Night to indie music to the proper way to install a sex swing. Don’t ask.

Tess was the complete opposite of what she imagined, and Liz felt a little ashamed that she harbored such resentment of her.

By the time Liz stumbled out of the cab and into the brownstone she was feeling better about her situation with Max. She still wished that he would give up the false pretence but knowing that Tess was not a threat took a large weight off her shoulders.

Liz smelled like cigarette smoke and stale beer. She hurried up the stairs to change, deciding on wearing Max’s t-shirt from earlier, to hell with pants. It didn’t matter anyway Max wouldn’t be back yet, he told her that these dinners tended to run late.

She knew that she would have a killer hangover if she didn’t drink some water and eat something to balance out the beer, so she made her way back to the kitchen to forage for a snack.

Liz was digging through the fridge when she saw a shadow out of the corner of her eye. Startled she threw the first object she could get her hands on which happened to be a Granny Smith apple.

“Oww…fuck!” The figure that definitely sounded like Max crumpled to the ground.

She ran over to the light and flicked it on to see Max Evans dropped down to his knees holding his side in pain.

“Shit! I’m sorry. Are you okay? I thought you were an axe murderer! Why aren’t you still at dinner?”

“As you can see I do not have an axe. And you have one hell of an arm. I developed a headache and came back early. What did you throw at me anyway? A rock?”

“No, a Granny Smith. Here come on sit at the table and I’ll get you some ice.”

She helped him up and he hobbled over ot the dining chair while Liz frantically took an ice pack out of the freezer. Without thinking she lifted up his shirt and pressed the ice to his side where an angry bruise was already forming.

Max jumped when the cold plastic touched his skin. Liz could feel his breath coming out in short pants against her neck and she could feel the electricity crackling between them. His large hand came up to press against hers where it held the ice pack against his body.

Her eyes found his, pupils dialated with lust. Like two magnets they seemed to gravitate toward each other. When they were a hairsbreadth from each other’s lips it all came flooding back to Liz.

He didn’t want her distractions this weekend. He needed her to be his friend and his assistant nothing more.

With a strength she didn’t know she possessed she managed to break the force of his gaze and pulled her head back. Her small hand slipped out from beneath his and she turned from him.

“So I’m no Courtney in the kitchen but can I get you anything, Mr. Evans?” Her voice shook.

“Liz…” He breathed out.

“On second thought, I think I’m going to get up to bed. Tess wore me out.”

Liz turned and fled up to her room. As soon as the door was shut behind her, she pressed her back against it catching her breath and willing her heart to slow down. Why did everything have to be so complicated?

Her lady parts were crying at being so close to their soul mate, yet pulled away again. They wanted someone to write about their sorrow and make it into a classic play about forbidden love.

Liz’s ears perked up at the sound of his footsteps on the wood floor outside her room. The steps stopped outside her door, and she could see that his shadow blocked the light.

She wouldn’t go to him. If he wanted to recant his request, then he had to come to her. But Max never opened the door. He simply turned and went back to his own room. So much for him growing a pair.
MorningStar
Enthusiastic Roswellian

The Assistant (AU, M/L, Adult) Chapter 17 2/15/11 pg 27

Post by MorningStar »

A/N: Hello my lovely addicts! I'm baaaack! I've been on a whirlwind with my personal life, then by the time I sorted it out my muse was gone. I've finally tracked her down and chained her to my laptop. Bitch isn't going anywhere now.

I'm touched by all of your reviews, and how much you seem to enjoy my story. So without any further adieu...

Chapter Seventeen

What was it about drinking beer that made her have a worse headache come morning than any other drink? Liz pushed the heel of her hand against her throbbing temple as she wandered to find Advil amongst her bags. She took two little red pills and drank an entire bottle of water to wash it down. It was no Gatorade but it would do in a pinch.

Liz dressed carefully. Today was the first day she would be entering the world of Evans-Harding New York and she wanted to make sure she fit in, that they didn’t question why she was there.

She pinned her hair back into a severe bun and pulled out one of her pantsuits that offered the maximum coverage of her body. Liz brushed on a little mascara and a neutral gloss but kept her face bare.

Liz arrived in the kitchen before Max, and set a copy of his schedule out on the table along with a cup of coffee. She searched the cabinets for something she could put out for breakfast but settled on a couple of whole-wheat bagels and fruit. If Max wanted something more elaborate he should have kept his staff.

She could feel him before she saw him. Every molecule of her body stood at attention when he came close, and she felt the skin of the back of her exposed neck warm under his gaze.

“Good morning,” He murmured.

“Mr. Evans. I hope bagels and fruit will suffice.” She took the toasted bagels from the four-slice toaster and plated them before setting one down on the table before him and keeping one for herself.

“Liz, when we are alone at home together please do me the courtesy of calling me Max.”

“I hope you can try to understand why I cannot.”

“I’m at a loss I’m afraid.”

“You confuse me at every turn. I am not as good at compartmentalizing as you are, I can’t just shut me feelings off and turn them back on again for your convenience. On the plane here you told me that you need a strictly professional relationship and that you view me as a distraction. You cannot have your cake and eat it too. So for my own sanity, you are my boss Mr. Evans. Understood?”

“Very well, Ms. Parker.” He finished his breakfast in silence, not making any eye contact with her until it was time to leave.

Liz followed him out into the foyer where Michael was waiting for them with a car. He gave Mr. Evans a polite nod and a small smile to Liz as he ushered them into the town car.

The tension between her and her boss was so thick that she was tempted to ask if she could ride in the front but the car was already in motion.

‘Parker, put on your big girl panties and suck it up.’

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Sucking it up apparently consisted of sitting on the lounge with her laptop in the antechamber to Mr. Evans office and periodically relaying requests to Laurie who was seated at the desk.

Laurie was efficient at her job but was too quiet for her liking. If she had to work with her on a daily basis she might scream. Laurie also took Liz’s presence as a threat and was constantly trying to one up her whenever Mr. Evans appeared to ask for anything.

At first Liz was glad to allow her to jump up like an eager golden retriever at the sound of his voice because she had just reached the next level in angry birds. But by the afternoon Liz was thoroughly annoyed and feeling a bit competitive herself.

“I need the Cilandria research file.”

Laurie was instantly on her feet and combing through the file cabinet behind her desk. With a smirk Liz calmly stood and placed the file directly into his hand.

“I know that Cilandria is the main target focus drug that you’ve been hoping to pitch to the board so I took the liberty of flagging the pages where the data you utilized in your presentation is found.”

Laurie’s eyes narrowed and her tongue clicked against the roof of her mouth.

“Perfect, Ms. Parker. This is exactly what I needed.” He gave her a small smile and headed back into his office.

Liz turned to look at Laurie who was staring at her with her head tilted.

“What?”

“How did you know that he would ask for that file?”

“Do you ever read the bulletins that you pass on to Mr. Evans?”

“Of course I do.”

“No I mean really take the time to understand them, not just pass them on as useless facts that you memorize for a moment than forget later?”

Laurie looked chastised.

“For the past week all the emails and research meetings have been focusing on Cilandria. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that Mr. Evans would include it in his presentation to the Board of Directors.”

‘It also helps that I was the one that physically assembled his power point presentation to the Board of Directors,’ Liz chuckled inwardly.

Lunch came and went and as the hours came closer to the end of the day Liz could see how stressed Mr. Evans had become. He frantically demanded that Laurie summon Michael to his office and when Michael rushed out of the office later talking hurriedly into his cell phone, Liz knew that something was amiss.

When Laurie excused herself to the restroom, Liz took the opportunity to knock gently on his door before entering.

She found him staring out his picture window overlooking the city, his shoulders slumped as if he carried the weight of the world on them.

“I just wanted to make sure that you were alright.”

“Khivar Corp has let it slip that they are releasing a drug to the public market next month called Vilandra. It’s a near match for Cilandria.” His voice was defeated.

Liz’s stomach dropped. Khivar Corp was Evans-Harding’s biggest competitor. They had been counting on Cilandria to keep them ahead of the game. But they still had months of human testing to get through before they could launch.

“How?”

“The research had to have been compromised.”

‘Dear God, the messed up files. Could Isabel be a spy for Khivar?’

“If they just took the information from the files this past week how could they ever hope to launch next month with the FDA’s blessing?”

“They couldn’t. So either they’ve been stealing our reports for far longer than that, or they are finding a way to pay off the FDA.”

“Do you know anyone at the FDA who investigates these sorts of things?”

“This is primarily Ed Harding’s area of expertise, but I believe the man he speaks with is named Mr. Pierce.”

Liz moved so that he was directly in front of him, and grabbed hold of his hand so he looked her in the eyes.

“So we will start there. Have Harding place a call to Mr. Pierce and see what he can dig up. Meanwhile, you’ve put far too much work in getting Cilandria to market, so you cannot abandon it."

He nodded his breathing evening out slightly.

“If you could make sure that Langley arrived in New York for my appointment I would appreciate it.”

“Of course, whatever you need. I’m here.” She hoped she conveyed to him everything she needed to say.

When he gave her hand a small squeeze before releasing it, she knew that he heard her loud and clear.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Ed Harding was never an easy man and the knowledge that his company’s new wonder drug had been leaked to the competitor put him on a warpath. He stormed into Max’s office sometime around four, and the yelling had been continuing for the better part of an hour.

Liz and Laurie exchanged concerned looks when they heard the sound of something shattering but neither of them had the courage to open the door to see what was going on. Then Liz had the brilliant idea to idea to engage the intercom system.

“…Never in my forty years of building this company have I ever been subject to corporate espionage. Yet the minute I leave you alone our files are tampered with?!” Harding growled.

“I know that this situation is difficult, but if I could just have some time…”

“Time?! You’ve had more than enough time. If it weren’t for the fact that I’ve known you since you were a child I would have you fired for this. What has gotten you so distracted from your goals? This situation you’ve put us in could jeopardize the company’s entire year.”

“Trust me I am handling it.”

“NO! If you were handling it I wouldn’t have to stand by and protect you. I’ve put a call into Pierce. He’ll call me in the morning with his findings. Find the spy. Find them now. And maybe I will be lenient with you.”

Liz and Laurie could hear the door start to turn, and they hastily turned off the intercom and pretended to be busying themselves with papers on the desk.

He gave Liz alone a hostile glance, which she did not understand before storming off down the hallway.