Wish You Were Here (CC,M/L,Teen) Pt 17 3/30/05 AN 9/13 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

TaffyCat
Addicted Roswellian

Post by TaffyCat »

Part 10

Setting:
Antarra Palace, two days later

Max: he stood by the window and watched from his third floor office: his wife and son were below in the garden getting acquainted with the new nanny, correction, potential new nanny: damn, he hated that: he wanted to raise his son himself, not some hired help, but he knew that wasn’t possible and it wasn’t fair to continue to use his mom and aunt in that capacity: damn: he heard the door squeak open and knew without turning to look that Trevan would be silently standing there awaiting orders: he sighed: he’d already been subjected to a morning-long meeting with his new staff to discuss his schedule of even more meetings and responsibilities that he would have to discharge throughout the day, the week, the month, hell, they even had some stuff that was more than a year out that they were planning for him now: damn…
“So, what’s next?”

Trevan: he bowed slightly and checked his schedule…
“First Priest of Antar, Demar is next.”

Max: he turned and regarded him with a confused look…
“Why?”

Trevan: “He requested one, and it would be…impolite to refuse. Until the High Priestess Wynn returns to Antar from Renular, he speaks for her.”

Max: “When does this High Priestess Wynn return?”

Trevan: “When the Granolith does, and not before.”

Max: “Oh. So what does Demar want?”

Trevan: his face remained neutral but he was disappointed that His Majesty had obviously not taken his lesson the other day in proper titles and addresses seriously: he understood that they weren’t really used that much where he came from on Earth, but they weren’t on Earth anymore…
“First Priest of Antar, Demar…”
He was sure to stress the title…
“Is most likely wishing to discuss the Granolith’s return to its proper place and the accompanying ceremony, which you will no doubt be an integral part of since you are the one linked to it and control it.”

Max: “Oh. Right. Of course. Okay, um, let me know when he’s here.”
He glanced once more out the window at his wife and son and wished that he could join them down there, running and laughing in the sun: he turned away from the window and the wish, other things took his time now: duty calls.

Trevan: “He’s already here, Your Majesty.”

Max: he sighed and sat down, a king was always supposed to be sitting when receiving anyone, that lesson had been drummed into him both by Tobias back home and later by Trevan: he sits, everyone else stands until he says otherwise: God, all this pomp and circumstance sucked: what was so wrong with standing and shaking their hand: he remained seated…
“Okay, show him in.”

Demar: he bowed respectfully as he entered and waited for His Majesty to acknowledge him.

Max: “Good day, First Priest of Antar, Demar. It’s good to see you again. Please sit down…”
And so his afternoon meetings began.

~

Setting: Byral House, same time

Michael: he stood in front of the reflector and tugged at his tunic: he did a couple of squats to see if it rode up in the back: so far so good: he had to admit that it was pretty comfortable, even if he did feel like something out of Star Wars: he rather liked the white trim that set off the deep maroon: only members of a House as close as his could use white accents in their clothes to such an important function as the Opening of the Houses, and he would be representing his House for the first time.

Maria: she couldn’t help but smirk as he tugged here and there, checked the arm length, twisted this way and that way: he’d even gotten his hair trimmed for it: now that was a minor miracle: she came up behind him and gave him a warm smile…
“Impressive.”
She looped her arms around his waist.

Michael: he gave her a surprised but pleased look…
“Yeah?”

Maria: “Yeah.”

Michael: he turned and gave her a look over: she was gorgeous in her deep maroon long tunic dress that was belted with a white sash, and the tiara of Antarian rubies in her hair proclaimed to all that she was of his House: the engagement ring of Earth rubies matched perfectly and told all that she belonged to him…
“You too.”

Riana: she smiled as she cleared her throat to get their attention…
“Yes, both of you are very impressive, but we should practice again. The entrance is the first time you will be officially appearing together as a couple and first impressions are very important.”
She would be accompanying them, as the ‘official’ Lady of Byral House, it would raise speculation that there was something amiss within the House if she was absent: it was more important than ever that they present a strong, united front: it was also important for Maria to establish herself as a member of Byral House, even if that wasn’t technically correct: when Maria had shown her the ring that proclaimed their promise of marriage to each other, she was duly impressed and very pleased: it went flawlessly with the official jewels of Byral House, particularly the Lady’s tiara: technically Maria had no right to be wearing it in public, but by doing so, it let everyone know that this impending marriage was accepted and approved by the House…
“Okay, now stand up straight, heads held high. Michael, straighter, straighter…try imagining a string running through your body and someone is pulling that string taut out of the top of your head. Why are you looking at me like that? You’re standing straighter already. There, better, much better. Now Maria, one step behind. Yes, I know, not the way it’s done on Earth, but this is Antar. Okay, now Michael take her hand and hold it up high, showing your union…um, no, not like…”
She went over and adjusted a few things…
“There much better. Now, heads high and look straight ahead and walk…”
CRASH!
“Uh, that’s not quite it.”

~

Setting: Antarra Palace, same time

Isabel: she frantically tore her closet apart and grew more frustrated and panicked as each garment flew to the floor…
“I can’t believe this! How can I have nothing to wear?”
She totally ignored the worried looks of the two assistants that had been assigned to help her with her wardrobe: they didn’t know her and their suggestions were just awful: how could they expect her to wear that…that horrid dress with the high neck and long sleeves that was the most ugly shade of blue she’d ever imagined.

Diane: she stood at the door for a moment and observed as Isabel was obviously on a tirade: she felt very sorry for the two Antarian ladies standing there looking panicked without a clue what to do: she cleared her throat as she stepped into the room, and in the firm tone of a mother, addressed her daughter…
“Isabel, what seems to be the matter?”

Isabel: her head shot up at the voice, but it was the tone that had really caught her attention: she knew that tone, it was a ‘what do you think you’re doing, young lady’ tone: she’d heard it too many times to count, but it also meant something else, Mom was there to handle it, no matter what it was…
“Mom, look at that…that abomination they want me to wear. Have you ever seen anything so hideous? It looks like something a hundred-year-old matron would wear. And they want me to wear it to the Opening of the Houses! Represent the Royal House in that…that thing!”

Diane: she tried not to cringe when she saw the garment: it really was all wrong for her daughter, but then fashion here was very different…
“Well, it’s not…um…”
It was bad: she turned to one of the attendants…
“What is considered fashionable for young ladies at formal functions?”

Trista: she nodded politely to the adoptive mother of King Zan and Princess Isabel and walked over to a vid screen: a selection of various outfits filled the screen…
“My Lady, these are the latest in style, but some of them are too…modern for such an important occasion as the Opening of the Houses.”

Diane: her brow went up when a dress, completely open at the top and baring the model’s breast, crossed the screen…
“Yes, I can see that. Let’s take a look at some that are a tad more conservative but still stylish. Maybe we can rework this dress into something closer to one of them.”

~

Trudy: she’d spent the last couple of days exploring the palace: she loved the garden and beach that was below the cliff, and the music room: she loved the music room: she was currently strolling through the northern wing, it was the side that ended at the edge of the cliff and provided the most spectacular views of the ocean: she also noticed it seemed more ornate and impressive: she felt something prickling her senses as she neared a particularly rich golden-paneled set of doors: this room seemed important somehow: it called to her and she couldn’t resist answering the call: she opened both doors and walked in: a cool wind seemed to sweep through her but she saw no windows open: she felt a breath blow in her ear and turned to see who was there: no one: she stepped further into the room: she could feel it, feel them: they were here, someone or ones were still here: her hand went to her right ear and slowly removed her hearing aid: she knew she wouldn’t need it to hear what they had to say: she surveyed the room: the wall to her left was floor to ceiling windows that offered a magnificent view: directly in front was a raised dais with two large ornate chairs, flanked by a half dozen less ornate ones: a throne, she immediately realized and that’s when she heard it…

“What is this?”

“Submit or die!”

“No, never!”

“No…NO…Rath…take Vilandra…Ava…side door…safety…”

Trudy: a chill came over her and she turned her head from the grisly carnage she could feel in her bones: she opened her eyes to a view of golden tapestries lining the other wall: she almost expected to see the blood running down them: she’d seen it once before: she heard a cough, more like a death rattle, coming from the direction of the dais and had to turn to look again…

“Peace. I only wanted peace for all…”

Trudy: she knew that those words were from a dying man, no, a dying king’s last wish, and those words would echo through eternity unless they were laid to rest: she put her hearing aid back in, there was nothing more the room could tell her: she turned to leave and was surprised to see someone standing in the hall watching her: she gave a slight bow…
“Queen Nataria.”

Nataria: though it broke with custom, she gave a slight bow back: she’d known somehow that someone was in this room: no one came in here since Kivar had been defeated: servants had reported ‘sightings’ of something but they were not sure what, and of strange noises, crying, shouts of anger, and then of pain and sorrow, the room felt wrong they’d say: so the doors had been shut and no one entered: even now, she didn’t enter, she stood in the hall, but she had known that someone had come into the room: she’d felt the…change: she was a disciple of the Order of Ruan: she knew…
“What did they tell you?”

Trudy: she regarded the queen for a moment…
“What do they say to you?”

Nataria: she shook her head…
“I was there. I saw it as it happened. My memories mingle with the echo of the past and I cannot hear clearly. What do they say? Please tell me. They were my children.”

Trudy: she slowly walked the few steps to the hall and closed the doors: immediately a warmth enveloped her: she took the queen’s hands in hers and gave her a gentle smile…
“Peace, they only want peace for all.”

Nataria: her eyes closed: she felt the wetness collect at the corners of her eyes: even in the violence of their deaths, they wanted peace: she opened her eyes and the wetness ran down her cheeks…
“Thank you. We will get them the peace they wanted and maybe then they’ll finally be able to rest in their own peace.”

~

Setting: Antarra Palace, short time later

Max: he gave the priest a dubious look…
“Three days? I…I’m very sorry but there is no way I can spare three days to go on some sort of religious retreat. Not now. Maybe later, after things have settled down a bit.”

Demar: he remained very calm: his instructions were clear and he would carry them out: it was really as simple as that…
“Forgive me, Your Majesty. I must not be relaying the gravity of the situation. In order to properly install the Granolith in its rightful home, you must use your mastery of it to move it into place.”

Max: he cut him off…
“Yes, I understand that, and I admit that I’ll need to do some meditation beforehand to help relax, but I honestly don’t need three days worth. I have too much to do here.”

Demar: his hands were folded on his lap in a perfectly relaxed manner…
“Forgive me, Your Majesty, but I don’t think I’m making myself clear. It will take three days of instructions and ritual cleansing of the body, the mind, and the soul in order to properly fulfill this task. It simply cannot be allowed to happen without it. It would be sacrilege. And the people need to see the Granolith home, safe and secure. I don’t think that I need to remind you what a temptation it is while it is sitting out in space and open to attack.”

Max: he sighed…
“No, you don’t. But I can’t see how…”

Demar: “Your Majesty, you don’t need to see, all you have to do is believe and the way will be open.”

Max: he wanted to run his hand through his hair in frustration: he wanted to yell at him to get the hell out, that he had too much to do to be playing games like this: but he was king and could do none of that: he shook his head…
“Your Eminence, forgive me but I have to be honest here. I don’t believe. I never seriously believed in the church that I was raised in, let alone the Order of Ruan. I don’t even know exactly what it is, so I don’t see how three days of ritual cleansing is going to make much difference.”

Demar: he sat up at that: he wasn’t overly surprised that he didn’t grasp Ruan, but not even his own church, now that was surprising…
“Forgive me, Your Majesty, but if I may be so bold as to ask…”
He waited until the king nodded to continue…
“Then why were you married in your church? Are the vows you took to your wife before God meaningless?”

Max: his jaw dropped…
“What? Of course I take my marriage vows seriously.”

Demar: “But you don’t believe?”

Max: “I believe in my wife, and in us. We belong together.”

Demar: “Ah, and how do you know this?”

Max: “I…we…we’re soul mates.”
Damn: why did he feel like he was losing a debate?

Demar: “But how can you be soul mates if you don’t believe in souls?”

Max: “I…”
Damn, damn, damn…
“There has to be something…more…but I don’t know what.”

Demar: he smiled with kind eyes…
“Then let us help you explore the possibilities.”

Men deal in the world of the tangible, and the Fates to help intervene with the intangible.
TaffyCat
Addicted Roswellian

Post by TaffyCat »

Part 11

Setting:
Antarra Palace, King’s office, following day

Kyle: he sat and watched the flunky hand Max something to sign and then stamp with his ring: it was odd that they still had that signet ring thing going on here: it was a thing of the past on Earth: the flunky took the document, digitally scanned it into a handheld scanner, waited a moment, and then presented the device for inspection to Max, who nodded in approval: the flunky bowed, took the device back, and then walked backwards out of the room, for it was considered extremely rude to turn your back on His Majesty: Kyle snorted and smirked, he did it on a daily basis…
“You done playing with the hired help, El Presidente?”

Max: it was his turn to snort and smirk…
“You never change, do you?”

Kyle: “Not in your lifetime.”

Max: his brow went up a little…
“You realize I’m officially on my second life?”

Kyle: “So? What’s your point?”

Max: he shook his head in defeat…
“So what’s the latest?”

Kyle: he got down to business, which in his case was the security of the royal family, including the king…
“Kivar is nicely tucked away on the Rock Maximum Security Prison, with Nicholas as a neighbor.”

Max: “The Rock? Where’s that?”

Kyle: “Nice little place on an asteroid, no oxygen except in the bio-dome, which is rather small and primitive. Not exactly a vacation spot, ya know?”

Max: he nodded…
“And Lonnie?”

Kyle: he grimaced a little: this was a problem that he had decided was for Max to deal with…
“Um, she’s on the neighboring planet called Princer. It’s rather remote but it’s been terra farmed and it’s…well, it’s not too bad I hear. The royal family owns lands there. She’s at the family estate under house arrest. As I said, it’s pretty remote, so she should be pretty secure there.”

Max: he eyed Kyle critically…
“She’d be more secure in prison.”

Kyle: he nodded…
“Yep, I totally agree.”

Max: his arms crossed in irritation…
“So why isn’t she?”

Kyle: he took a big breath and blurted it out…
“Because Queen Nataria ordered the guards to take her there, and…well, she is the Queen Mother.”

Max: his first thought was to override that order and have her taken immediately to join Kivar and Nicholas, but that had major repercussions: he knew that if it had been Diane Evans, he wouldn’t countermand her orders, he wouldn’t dare, but then Diane Evans would never have ordered something like this behind his back…or would she: Lonnie was Nataria’s daughter just as much as Isabel was: he shook his head: maybe Mom would have done something like this, she wouldn’t want to see any of her children in prison, but she would have at least talked to him about it first: damn…
“Fine. She stays there until I say otherwise, but from now on I am the only one that calls the shots about this. As king and the head of the House, it’s my responsibility.”

Kyle: he gave him a mock salute…
“Got it, Kemosabie.”

Max: he shook his head, then looked up and noticed Trevan trying to get his attention…
“Yes, Trevan?”

Trevan: he bowed politely…
“It’s starting, Your Majesty. Would you like for me to bring it up on the viewer?”

Max: “Yeah.”
They all waited as the image appeared and he watched with a smile as Isabel, all decked out in the Royal House’s finest jewels and a tiara befitting a royal princess, led the procession with Alex discreetly walking only one step behind her: that had raised a few brows since they weren’t married yet and Alex had no official connection to the Royal House, but protocol be damned.

Kyle: he was beaming as Maria appeared next to Michael: she’d made it quite clear that she’d be damned if she was going to walk even a half step behind anyone: yep, that was his sis!
“She looks good.”

Max: he wasn’t sure which ‘she’ he was referring to but it didn’t matter, they both did…
“Yep.”
They listened to the formalities of the opening session being read: nothing much would really happen today, it was mainly ceremonial, but, as he was finding out, pomp and circumstance held a lot of weight.

Kyle: “So are you meeting with him afterwards?”

Kyle: “You don’t have to, you know.”

Kyle: “Want someone here, just in case?”

Max: he shook his head…
“No, I can handle it.”

Kyle: he chewed on that as they both continued to watch the litany of speakers drone on and on about how historic it was to have all of the houses in attendance once again…
“What if I happen to stop by during the meeting?”

“I can’t show any weakness and give him the impression that I can’t handle myself. Besides, he’s not his father.”

Kyle: it was his turn to shake his head…
“You don’t know that. Varner is Kivar’s son and the assumed Head of Quanar House. There’s no telling what he might be capable of. And Kivar still has supporters that’d love nothing better than to have the throne vacant again, just waiting to be filled by someone else.”

Max: he sighed to himself: Kyle had a point, but at the same time others might consider it a sign of weakness: politics: it always came down to politics: God, he hated it…
“No, I’ll meet with him alone.”

Kyle: he didn’t like it…
“Fine, but Michael and I will be checking out that new pool table just down the hall, within easy striking distance.”
He didn’t need to add that if Varner did try something, they’d never reach Max in time.

Max: he shrugged, even if he objected, they’d be there anyways…
“Okay.”

Kyle: they watched the Chamber of Houses acknowledge each and every Head, starting with the least ranked, which meant Byral and the Royal House would be the last two: he shook his head: all that waiting and protocol, it was a good bet that Michael would be about ready to explode, if he wasn’t sound asleep by the time they got to him…
“Hope they didn’t drink anything beforehand. It’d be murder trying to hold it for so long.”

Max: a grin broke out and then a chuckle…
“Man, after all these years, you still know how to turn a phrase.”

Kyle: “Yep, that’s me.”
He watched as one by one all the Heads rose to speak: Jesus, a hundred and ten of them: he didn’t envy them: he looked over at Max: he envied him even less: he wouldn’t want the crown if they’d handed it to him on a silver platter: security seemed easy in comparison…
“Any idea about what you’re gonna do with Quanar House? Dissolving it?”

Max: “I don’t know yet. That seems to be the consensus of my advisors, though.”

Kyle: he nodded: it did make the most sense, if they had no House, they had no voice, and that greatly reduced any lingering threat: it made sense, but was it fair…
“I guess it’s a good thing for them that this is a monarchy and not ruled by a consensus.”

~

Setting: Antar’s Northern Region, about the same time

Baxnor: he had sat for hours with his little cousin in the foyer of what used to be a grand house: people were coming and going and none of them looked happy: he finally heard his name called and rose while balancing his cousin on his hip: she was tired and cranky and had a cough that didn’t seem to be going away: they entered the large ornate office: it was littered with supplies and people sorting through piles of things: this was the main home of the Lower House of Tafnar House, his house: they weren’t very highly ranked even within his House, but that didn’t matter at the moment: he sat where told and shifted his cousin to his lap: his mouth dropped open in surprise when he spotted the person sitting across from him, who couldn’t be more than ten years older than himself, and he’d just had his fourteenth…
“Sir…”

Caylor: he looked up at yet another new charge sitting across from him: God, would this ever end…
“You’re Baxnor, correct? And this is your…”
He checked the papers in front of him…
“Your cousin, Ambrea?”

Baxnor: he nodded…
“Yes, sir. Um, are you Lord Caylor, Head of the Lower House of Tafnar?”

Caylor: he sighed: it was a title he didn’t want and wished he didn’t have, but it was his nonetheless…
“Unfortunately, yes.”
He glanced at the paperwork again. “Petition for Assistance,” it read…
“You’re petitioning me for help.”

Baxnor: he nodded again…
“That’s right. My father…he…Kivar took him three years ago and I haven’t seen him since. And…and my aunt, Ambrea’s mother, died four months ago.”

Caylor: his brows pinched in concern: it was a story he’d heard way too many times: this area had been hard hit by the war…
“Whom have you been staying with for the last four months?”

Baxnor: “Some friends, but, um…times are tough, you know, and, um, they just couldn’t continue. They told me that I could do that petition thing and that my House had to help me, right?”

Caylor: “Right, if it can, and unfortunately, I just can’t. As you can see, I’m doing everything I can for my people but it’s not enough and I’m out of resources.”

Baxnor: he would not cry: he would not cry…
“But what am I supposed to do? What about my farm? We’ve been there for generations and now…now it’s ruined. Our home and farming supplies were burned when Kivar came through that last time. We need a place to live and equipment and seed for planting.”

Caylor: “I know. Believe me, I know. This whole region was hard hit. The problem is that you aren’t the only ones and this is a small House. I’ve suffered too, and I’m sharing what I’ve got with as many as I can but I’m at the breaking point myself.”
He pulled out a document maker and began to fill in the blanks…
“Look. I’ll give you a reference letter and enough credits to get to Antaria, where you can petition the Higher Branch of the House for help. They have more resources and I’m sure they can help more. I’ll send them a message to expect you. Will that work?”

Baxnor: inside he was scared: he’d never been outside their province, let alone to the world’s capital, and he didn’t know anyone there, not even within his own House: but he didn’t really have a choice…
“Okay.”
He took the letter of reference and the credits, hoisted his cousin on his hip, and with a heavy heart began a long trek to the capital city for help.

~

Setting: Antarra Palace, later that same day

Max: he remained seated as he regarded the lord that stood before him: the face of the enemy they’d told him, but was he: he was the son of Kivar, whom he was responsible for putting in prison, but what about the son: he’d done some research and so far he hadn’t found anything to make him think the man standing before him was the power hungry monster his father was, but at the same time, he apparently hadn’t opposed his father’s reign either…
“Lord Varner.”

Varner: he bowed deeply and humbly: he was on shaky ground and he knew that he would be lucky if he and all the remaining members of his House weren’t outcasts by the day’s end…
“Your Majesty. Thank you for taking the time to see me.”

Max: he was determined to keep a neutral face on…
“Indeed.”
Max recalled all the pointers his dad had given him over the last several months on how to retain the upper hand and keep the opponent off balance: he laced his fingers together and took his time studying the man: he appeared to be in his mid-forties, average height, a little thick around the middle, hair neatly trimmed, and he was wearing his finest attire since he had just come from the Chamber of Houses’ opening ceremonies, though he was careful to remove any overt sign of authority, some that most likely had been acquired during his father’s reign: Max said nothing and waited.

Varner: he was beginning to sweat as the silence continued to hang in the air: by custom he could not sit in the king’s presence unless invited to do so, which he hadn’t been, nor could he initiate the conversation: so he stood there, head slightly bowed, and felt the sweat pooling in the small of his back.

Max: he waited until he saw a sheen of sweat on the man’s brow before gesturing towards a chair…
“Please be seated.”

Varner: his bow deepened for a moment before he sat down…
“Thank you, Your Majesty.”

Max: he suddenly just wanted this to be done…
“What is it that you wished to see me about?”

Varner: he took a deep breath and let it out before answering: this was it, his one chance for him, his House, and hopefully even his father’s survival…
“Your Majesty, I’ve come to request…to beg you to spare my House and my father.”

Max: “Spare your father? No. I cannot do that. His fate is in the hands of the people where it will remain. He will be made to answer for what he’s done.”
He took a deep breath…
“As for your House, tell me why I should spare them? Your father spent more than fifty years hunting down members of my House and murdering them, as well as confiscating our lands and properties, along with many others. Give me a reason why I shouldn’t dissolve your House and return your ill-gotten profits to their rightful owners and as compensation to those that suffered under your House’s rule?”

Varner: his heart soared: despite the harsh tone and words, the king was giving him an out for his people, if he could come up with a reason…
“Your Majesty…”
He was trying to think fast: it had to be a valid reason but from what he’d heard the king was fair and kind, if he was so inclined…
“Your Majesty, not all in my House are guilty, only a select few profited and, admittedly, committed crimes against your family and others. Punish the guilty but please don’t destroy the lives of the innocent.”
He could tell the king was listening and considering…
“It is the same for many Houses. If you punish ours, will you be doing the same for all? It would only be fair, would it not? Yet, if you did so, it would cause chaos and instability within the Houses and in the streets.”

Max: damn, he knew what Varner said was true but he wasn’t quite so ready to agree…
“Who said I had to be fair?

Varner: his mouth dropped open: what was he supposed to say to counter that: if he suggested something then it could be seen as criticism, something that wouldn’t garner any favor, and favor is what he needed: he closed his mouth and bowed his head: what will be, will be…
“You are king and whatever you decide will be fair.”

Max: he sat back and looked at the now defeated man: it should have made him feel good to have the fate of his enemy in his hands, to be able to crush him at will, but it didn’t: he sighed…
“Very well. I will give your House one chance and one chance only to redeem itself. You will work with the Order of Ruan to see how your House can assist in their efforts to help the needy, including monetary assistance. You will, out of a sense of compassion and doing what’s right, seek out those that your House has wronged and make reparations to them. Your accounts since the start of the war will be audited for their value and manner of acquisition. All sources will be checked to verify that they were attained properly without threat or coercion. If there was, it will be returned to the original owner, without repayment to you. Think of it as a penalty. You will make right what your House has wronged as much as possible. And as head of Quanar House, I will hold you responsible for the success or failure of this undertaking.”
He waited for a moment to make sure the terms were understood…
“If you feel these terms are too harsh, tell me now and I’ll dissolve your House tonight and confiscate your properties and holdings to be distributed to the needy. It’s what was advised to do in the first place. So, yes or no?”

Varner: he blanched: what he was being asked was a lot of work, and he’d be lucky if he owned a blade of grass by the time he was done, if it was ever done: this could take years to do and the costs…: but if he didn’t he’d lose it all anyway, plus his standing and voice in government: he’d be an outcast, all of them would be, without hope for redemption: he didn’t really have a choice…
“Yes. It will be as you demand… Uh, if I may…?”

Max: “Yes?”

Varner: “Where would my House standing be during this…restitution phase? Will I have a say in the Chamber of Houses? And how long do plan for this to take?”

Max: he knew that House ranking was extremely important here, marriages and livelihoods depended upon it, or at least were influenced by it…
“Your ranking will be determined by your actions. For now it will remain as the twelfth ranked where it was before the war, but your say will not go against the Royal House. As for how long…that depends upon your plan, which I will have review and approval over. I want to see an honest and concerted effort on this or I will do as my advisors suggest and dissolve your House. Do not doubt that.”

Varner: he swallowed and bowed upon rising…
“I do not doubt it, Your Majesty. And thank you for giving me a chance to save my House, Your Majesty.”

Max: he nodded at the standing man…
“Of course. Good day to you, Lord Varner. And good luck.”

~

Setting: Antarra Palace, shortly later on that evening

Max: it was the clash of balls hitting balls that told him that they were still at it: he stood in the hall and smiled: there’d been a time long ago, or so it seemed, that he would never had thought Michael Guerin, Mr. Stonewall, would be playing a casual game of pool with Kyle Valenti, all around school jock and sheriff’s son, along with the school geek, Alex Whitman: but here they were: it made him realize how far, and not just in distance, they’d all come: he walked in…
“Hey.”

Michael: his eyes never left the pool balls as he made his shot…
“Six in the corner pocket.”
His expression never changed as he sunk the stated ball in the correct pocket…
“You didn’t do it, did you, Maxwell?”

Max: he strolled in and grabbed a pool cue and looked for the chalk…
“It didn’t seem right to make hundreds of thousands of people suffer for the actions of a few.”

Kyle: “It’s a mistake.”

Alex: “Maybe. Maybe not.”

Michael: he missed the next shot and Kyle took his turn…
“He killed us.”

Max: “His father did and he will be held accountable. Varner did nothing.”

Kyle: “Yeah, nothing. Nothing to help either.”
He lined up his shot…
“Three in the side pocket.”

Max: he reached for the simple wooden humidor that had been a gift from President Wilkinson: this game room had been a compromise: it held a pool table, card table, foosball table, large viewing screen, a well stocked bar for those able to drink, and several large overstuffed comfortable sofas, perfect for lounging on and enjoying a good cigar: oh yeah, and this room, by mutual agreement, was off limits to wives and mothers: there were some advantages to being king…
“That’s going to change.”

Alex: he had been privy to the alternate plan that Max had been considering: Max had gone over it with Isabel, since she was the official representative of the family: she’d also been working closely with the Order of Ruan and their relief efforts…
“He agreed to everything?”

Max: he took a good long drawl on a cigar: it had a warm tangy feel as the smoke coated his throat, and most likely his lungs…
“Yep, he didn’t really have a choice.”

Kyle: he snorted…
“Too little, too late, if you ask me.”

Max: he shrugged and looked over at his second…
“You’re here late.”

Michael: “Yeah, yeah. Maria’s on the marriage thing again and now I’ve got Riana bustin’ my chops about it too. Family honor. Bah! That’s all I need. I’m already henpecked. Can’t wait to see what it’ll be like when we do finally decide to tie the noose.”

Kyle: he smiled an evil grin…
“I got a call from Dad. He, Amy, and Justin will be here for Christmas.”

Michael: rolled his eyes…
“Just shoot me now.”

Alex: “I don’t get it. Why don’t you just marry her? You’re going to anyway. What are you waiting for?”

Kyle: his grin was even more evil if possible…
“Two kids, according to Aunt Trudy.”
He looked over at his brother-in-law in all but name…
“Which by the way, Dad said he was going to be talking to you about that. Seems Maria mentioned it in her last letter home. Amy suggested he bring his shotgun on the trip.”

Michael: he practically growled…
“Great. That’s just great.”

Max: he bit his lip: he knew Michael: he knew that Michael would marry Maria, but the more he was pushed, the more he would dig in his heels, so he remained silent on the subject: if Michael wanted to talk with him about it, he would…
“So how was Justin doing? Still eating mud pies?”

Kyle: he smiled at the thought of his baby brother: he’d never thought he’d have one of those…
“Yep, Dad and Amy went to D.C. to visit and stayed the night with Zan and Ava. They’re doin’ good, and from what I hear Zanya took great delight in playing tour guide in the Antarian Exhibit Hall. Took Zan until four in the morning trying to put a priceless orb back together. Seems Zanya thought it’d be good to play catch with Justin with it and…well, one of them missed.”

Max: he shook his head: oh the things he had to look forward to as a parent…
“I can imagine.”

~

Setting: Princer, similar time

Lonnie: she stood at the high window and watched the wind blow through the wheat fields: she was grateful that her mother Queen Nataria had interceded on her behalf, otherwise she had no doubt that she’d still be sitting in a cell next to Kivar, but now what: she was to be tried for treason, for attempting to kill Prince Zan: her brows cinched, Prince Zan but not King Zan: why hadn’t she been charged with attempting to murder him as well: and then there was Rath: she’d done nothing to even try to stop him: it could be said that she even encouraged him along: and what about the men that she used and then threw away, and the people she stole from or even harmed in her attempt to get what she wanted: and Nicholas and Kivar, she would have used them to attain her goal, a ticket home and the crown, and then she’d just throw them away too without a second thought: she had much to answer for: she shook her head to put an end to this useless pondering and wondered where these thoughts were coming from in the first place as she picked up the copies of the ancient scrolls of Ruan and continued her evening reading.

The Fates provide many paths to redemption, but it is up to the individual to choose to follow one.
Last edited by TaffyCat on Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TaffyCat
Addicted Roswellian

Post by TaffyCat »

Part 12

Twelve Advisors to the Throne, their ranking, and loyalty during the war

1st Ranked House: Royal House – Princess Isabel – Loyal to Royal House
2nd Ranked House: Byral House – Lord Michael – Loyal to Royal House
3rd Ranked House: Trynor House – Lady Mystal – Loyal to Kivar/Quanar House
4th Ranked House: Ethol House – Lord Nigor – Loyal to Royal House
5th Ranked House: Drasol House – Lord Kemptal – Loyal to Kivar/Quanar House
6th Ranked House: Breecer House – Lord Chilter – Loyalty undeclared
7th Ranked House: Kimar House – Lady Karmel – Loyal to Royal House
8th Ranked House: Shimba House – Lady Fyola – Loyalty Undeclared
9th Ranked House: Quinner House – Lord Pictel – Loyal to Royal House
10th Ranked House: Whistnar House – Lady Brental – Loyal to Kivar/Quanar House
11th Ranked House: Komper House – Lord Ringold – Loyal to Kivar/Quanar House
12th Ranked House: Triden House – Lord Bahreece – Loyal to Kivar/Quanar House

~

Setting: Antarra Palace, few days later, first meeting of the Royal Advisors & King Max

Max: he eyed each of his advisors as he entered the room: these were the Heads of the top twelve Houses and his official Royal Advisors: he knew that most were not loyal to him, or at least hadn’t been during the war: where would their loyalties lie now, he wondered as he took his seat at the head of the large table…
“Lords and Ladies, please be seated.”
He waited a moment as they did so and then turned his attention to the document reader in front of him for a moment and then set it aside…
“Before we begin I wanted to say that I appreciate all of yours assistance and advice and that I will weigh what each of you has to say carefully before I make my decisions, but…they will be my decisions.”
He took a breath and then looked at each one…
“My first decision was the status of Quanar House. The reasons to extract revenge were strong, and the truly guilty will be punished, however I do not believe punishing the innocent along with them will accomplish anything. Therefore, I have agreed to give Quanar House a second chance, provided they make reparations to those that they have harmed directly. Any reparations made to me, or my immediate family, will be applied towards the relief effort of those less fortunate. I thank all that offered their opinions and insights on the matter.”
He saw some surprised flashes but for the most part the advisors remained stone-faced: he hoped that was good as his stomach churned with worry over how he was measuring up to the previous occupier of this chair, Kivar: many here had risen to their current position thanks to Kivar and he wondered how loyal they would be to him, the new kid on the block: he pulled the document viewer back in front of him and opened the first document…
“So let us begin. This here is a relief bill that has been passed by the House and sent for my signage. I would like to hear each of your views on it. We’ll start with Lord Behreece of Trident House.”

Behreece: he sat stone-faced and didn’t show the shock he was feeling: Kivar rarely had been interested in anyone’s opinion outside of his own inner circle, which he was not a part of: his House had only risen so far as a reward for the vast factories they owned that were able to turn out an increasing number of supplies for Kivar’s army: they’d grown rich from the war profits, and with those riches came power, or at least the appearance of such, but King Max was actually offering him a voice: but what did he want to hear, the truth, or simple agreement…
“Your Majesty, thank you. I believe the legislature is a good one that will help many and should be passed.”

Max: he looked at him hard, trying to determine his sincerity…
“Why? What about the disclaimer that “outcasts” are not entitled to the same assistance? Won’t Ruan object to restraints being put on the credits and supplies this bill offers? And what of the requirement that all recipients register? Won’t that discourage some from seeking the very aid that they need?”

Behreece: he was ashen, as the King was obviously against this bill while he had spoken in favor of it…
“Forgive me Your Majesty, you are correct of course.”

Max: he held on to his growing aggravation: damn: he wanted honest debate and discussion, not a lot of yes men and women: he sighed and turned his attention to Michael: he already had an inkling how Michael felt about this bill and hoped it would open the others up a little…
“Lord Michael, what do you think?”

Michael: he pursed his lips and looked at his childhood friend and king: Max already knew where he stood and why, but he wanted him to say it again…
“I think it’s too flawed and should be rejected.”
He added at the last minute…
“Your Majesty.”
He was going to have to watch that: he was too used to simply addressing Max as his friend instead of his king.

Max: he fought from grinning: he could always rely on Michael no matter what the circumstances…
“But that would deny much needed aid to those that need it the most.”

Michael: “But it would alienate others that need it as well. It would create an even worse off class of people, those that don’t even qualify for aid. What are they supposed to do? Eat air? Die in the cold? Winter is coming, where are they going to sleep?”

Max: he noticed a Lady shifting in her seat: Trevan had briefed him on all of his advisors, including her rumored romance with Kivar…
“Lady Mystal, what is your opinion and why?”

Mystal: her House had been on the Royal Advisor’s Council for as long as Byral House: she had been raised in politics and high court: she knew how the game was played and was practiced at reading the signs: she looked at him straight on…
“Sign it. It would give the widows and orphans the aid they need. Many had loved ones that died in this war. You owe it to them to look after their families. But this is not the only aid package out there. Ruan will provide with their other funds which most here have already generously contributed to. Plus the Higher Houses will provide for their Lower Houses, as they have always done. I say you should sign it, Your Majesty.”

Max: he saw Isabel shaking her head…
“Princess Isabel, you differ?”

Isabel: “But what of the others? The outcasts? They have no Houses to offer support.”

Max: he saw other Lords and Ladies starting to get into it, finally: he picked one that was shaking his head…
“Lord Kemptal, what is your opinion?”

Kemptal: “I agree with Lady Mystal. You need to sign it. To not do so will not bode well with your subjects. As for the outcasts, I’m sorry, but they are outside consideration. They will take care of their own or Ruan will provide. This legislature was not meant for them or their use. To include them would insult the very ones that this was meant to help, Your Majesty.”
He could instantly see that his words did not go over very well with His Majesty, or Princess Isabel…
“Your Majesty, I do not mean to offend. I understand your sympathies for all of those in need. It speaks well of you, however, the fact remains that we only have a finite supply of assistance to offer and we must choose. If we offer it to all, there won’t be enough to go around and you will have those that had offered up sons and daughters, husbands and wives, or parents, that will be suffering and yes, dying. We owe this to them. If we want to aid the outcasts, then that can be a separate bill that can be worked on when the funding is available.”

Max: he chewed the inside of his lip: there were points to both sides of the debate…
“What about the registration? Won’t that turn people away?”

Kemptal: “Perhaps. But it is not meant as a deterrent. There are multitudes of lost people, young and old, that need to be reunited with their families, or at least their Houses. Many Houses, especially at the lower and middle levels, suffered greatly and could not provide. As these individuals come in for aid, by registering, it will notify the Higher Houses of their plight so that they can further assist them, Your Majesty.”

Max: he thought that sounded rather reasonable, but there was something about it that just didn’t sit well…
“Okay. Point taken. Lady Fyola, what are your feelings?”

Fyola: she had played her House very carefully all these years, neither siding with Lord Kivar, nor opposing him, and as a result her House had neither really profited nor suffered during this war directly: oh, there had been modest gains and a few losses but nothing that would unseat them: as always, she weighed things carefully…
“Your Majesty, the bill is not perfect, nor will one ever be perfect since no one bill will fit all situations. However, I agree that it will not bode well for his majesty to deny widows and orphans aid, and therefore I think you should sign it, Your Majesty.”

Max: he nodded: it was about what he expected: in the end the tally was eight in favor and four opposed, with Michael and Isabel being two of the four opposing: he thanked them and let them know he would make his decision shortly.

~

Setting short time later, billards room

Philip: he inhaled deeply of the fine tobacco as he watched his son break the balls, sinking one in the side pocket: he took a sip of his scotch and noticed in surprise that Max also had a drink sitting on the edge of the pool table next to his cigar…
“I didn’t think you could drink, Max.”

Max: “Seven ball in the corner.”
He sunk the ball and then took a sip of his drink…
“It’s called Tyrol and it’s sort of an Antarian brandy, or so I’m told. Trevan suggested it the other night and it wasn’t too bad. It supposedly would affect pure humans the way alcohol affected me the one time I tried it. I guess I’m a bit more Antarian than I admit to.”
He lined up his shot but missed.

Philip: he sat his cigar down and looked over his pool options, one in the corner was a possibility: he didn’t ask his son about why he was drinking, something he hadn’t needed before, but something that Philip could understand, as his scotch glass clearly attested to…
“Twelve in the corner.”
He sunk it and thought the two ball also in the corner would be an easy shot…
“How’d the meeting go?”

Max: “Eight to four. Eight for it, with Michael and Iz two of the four opposing it.”

Philip: he made the shot and paused for a sip and smoke…
“So have you decided?”

Max: “I don’t know. They all had good arguments, including the ones for it. But Michael and Iz…”

Philip: he shook his head…
“You asked for their opinion and they gave it, but it’s your decision. Don’t put it off on them. Weigh the pros and cons, decide, and then stand by it.”

Max: he nodded, but in truth he had already decided during the meeting, he just didn’t want to admit it to himself…
“You’re right.”
Later that night he sat at the ornate desk in his official office and signed, sealed, and watched Trevan scan the document in: it was official, he’d signed his first bill into law and had done it over the objections of his sister and best friend.

~

Setting: Later that night, king’s bedroom

Max: he was in his massive closet, actually it was the queen’s closet, the king’s closet was larger and well, Liz had more stuff so they switched: he was undressing for bed…
“I hope they don’t kill me for going against them.”

Liz: she was likewise undressing…
“You didn’t go against them. You signed a bill into law. It wasn’t against them.”

Max: “It was against their recommendation.”

Liz: she slipped a nightgown on and entered the bedroom proper…
“Max, it’s not the first time you’ve gone against them and it won’t be the last. God, if you’d listened to them, you and I would never have gotten together.”

Max: he nodded in agreement, that seemed like such a long time ago, though, he thought as he came out of the closet…
“What’s that?”

Liz: she popped the video crystal into the slot and turned on the viewer…
“Don’t know exactly. Tess gave it to me and suggested we watch it together. Said it was rather informative on Antarian customs.”

Max: he joined his wife on the bed and watched the viewer come to life: there was a scene of a man and woman in a field of flowers running toward each other and then kissing: some Antarian text scrolled underneath, something about loving or lovemaking: the scene changed and the couple was now naked and… his mouth dropped open…
“Uh, Liz…”

Liz: her mouth was equally hanging open: were pure Antarian men really that well…
“Yeah?”
How could she…wouldn’t she gag with that…

Max: he was speechless, but becoming aware that his body was definitely reacting on its own, no conscious thought needed: man, could she really take…

Liz: was it hot in here or what…

Max: he waved his hand and a window opened, letting in a cool sea breeze: the woman on the viewer screamed her climax and the man let out a moan: the scene changed suddenly to just text: ‘Lesson two’ it read: again the same couple but this time she was on top and…
“Liz, what the hell are we watching?”
His eyes remained glued to the screen.

Liz: “I’m not sure but it looks like some sort of Antarian version of a Kama Sutra?”
Her eyes equally transfixed.

Max: they watched through the end of Lesson Two and Lesson Three was announced…
“How many lessons are there?”

Liz: “Not sure.”
She used her powers to change to the table of contents menu…
“Apparently sixty-four.”
She looked at her husband…
“They seem to be starting with the basics.”

Max: he couldn’t help the naughty grin that played at his lips…
“Let’s skip around.”

Liz: she watched as the man…
“Can you…”

Max: “No!”
He rethought it…
“Maybe.”
He glanced at his wife…
“Why?”

Liz: she shrugged…
“Just curious.”

Max: he used his powers to pause it and then backed it up before restarting it in a slower motion: he put his arm around his wife and then glanced back at the viewer…
“Okay, so my arm goes here, and your leg goes…”

Liz: “No, this way. My arm goes…”

Max: “Yeah, and then I move this…”
He looked again to be sure: he was.

Liz: she grinned…
“Well, hello there big fella, coming my way?”

Max: he was grinning from ear to ear…
“Oh, yeah.”
Lesson 27 was fun: Lesson 34 a bit more challenging but very rewarding: they decided Lesson 49 could only be done by contortionists, and by the time they tried Lesson 59 he felt something give, and it wasn’t where he expected it either…
“Oww, oww, oww, my back, my back!”

Liz: “What?”

Max: he pulled away and rolled over on the floor in pain: his hand was quickly glowing as he did the best he could to reach the spot on his back and the offended muscle and soon a healing warmth spread and he relaxed…
“That’s better.”

Liz: she pouted as she leaned over her naked husband…
“It is? I thought 34 was the best.”

Max: he laughed…
“Yeah, that one was pretty good.”
His smiled vanished though as he thought of something.

Liz: she saw his expression change…
“What’s wrong?”

Max: “You said you got this from Tess?”

Liz: “Yeah, why?”

Max: he rolled his eyes at the thought, just too much info…
“Kyle had me heal some pulled muscles in his back this morning and I’m pretty sure they were in the same spot as mine.”

Liz: she laughed…
“Well, I guess we know what lesson they tried last night.”
After Lesson 63, which was slow and gentle, they both fell sound asleep: it was the last night they’d spend in each other arms for three days as the morning brought his commitment to Ruan: it was time to bring the Granolith home.

~

Setting: Edge of Antaria city limits, red-light district

Baxnor: he was scared but couldn’t admit it: he wanted to hide under his bed at home, but he didn’t have a home anymore, let alone a bed: he didn’t have parents or family anymore, just his little cousin, and she was only a baby: he was the adult: he was thirteen: he held Ambrea closer to him to ward off the chill of the night and offer her what comfort and security that he could: he hoped her occasional coughing didn’t turn into a coughing fit like it had last night and kept them both up most of the night, their last night of lodging: he was almost out of money, certainly not enough for another night even in the seediest inn: instead he tiredly but doggedly walked toward the more affluent part of the city, the part that held the great Chamber of Houses and the Houses related offices: it was there that he needed to go to get assistance.

~

The Fates know that the world is rarely black and white, but more shades of gray.
TaffyCat
Addicted Roswellian

Post by TaffyCat »

A quick point of clarification - Baxnor is not an outcast. Though not highly ranked, he has a House to turn to for help. That's his whole reason for going to Antaria, to ask the higher House of Tafnar for help, as is his right.

That being said, yes, the bill Max signed will effect him, though other aspects that I've already touched upon will also come into play.

And now I will shut up since more will give it all away, if I haven't already.

Thanks for reading and I do love the speculation.

Taffy
TaffyCat
Addicted Roswellian

Post by TaffyCat »

Part 13

Setting: First Temple of Ruan, Antarra, next morning

Demar: he bowed appropriately as His Majesty entered the temple proper…
“Greetings, Your Majesty.”

Max: he’d been dreading this: it was just a waste of time as far as he was concerned: he had such little personal time: if he had to take three days to do something, he would have preferred sharing them with his wife and son, but no: instead it was three days of meditation and religious instruction: he couldn’t even wear real clothes, Antarian or American, but a simple long robe and sandals, however he left his boxers on in spite of tradition: he gave a slight nod in return…
“Your Eminence, First Priest Demar, it is good to see you again.”

Demar: “And I you, Your Majesty. Please come and welcome.”
He escorted his king through the most secluded parts within the bowels of the temple to a simple lodging cell…
“Here, your Majesty. This will be your personal room for the duration.”

Max: he looked around unimpressed: it looked like a dungeon, stone walls, stone floor, a cot that looked like it would collapse at any moment, a rickety chair and ancient table, and a small window with battered wooden shutters on it: he opened the shutters and looked out at the sea…
“Home sweet home.”

Demar: he kept his demeanor neutral but he knew what the king was seeing and commenting on…
“It has the basics. This study is not for the body but the mind and soul. I think you will find the rewards far outweigh any temporary materialistic discomfort.”

Max: he thought back fondly now to that retreat Father Rodriguez had forced them to attend, compared to this…
“Where are the…uh, facilities?”

Demar: it took him a few moments to comprehend the question and then smiled and showed him down the hall, again, barely the basics…
“You will find that your body needs very little when the mind is occupied.”
He then directed him down the hall to the main dining room, which he would only see once a day for the simplest of meals, and then down another corridor…
“We will begin with a bath.”

Max: he scowled…
“That’s okay. I already took a shower this morning.”

Demar: he nodded patiently…
“Yes, I’m sure you did, but we will begin with a ritual bath. The body must be purified before the mind and soul can be. Come.”

Max: he was led to a large pool within some sort of cave that was lit by old fashion torches: it could have been romantic if Liz was with him, and if there weren’t four other priests there all waiting for him to take his clothes off and enter the water…
“Um, do they need to be here?”

Demar: he nodded again…
“Yes, they are here to attend to you. Please do not be shy. There is no need here.”

Max: “Right.”
He slowly kicked off his sandals and slipped his robe off: he saw the raised brow at his boxers.

Demar: “Those too, Your Majesty.”

Max: he swallowed and dropped them before quickly entering the pool: at least the water wasn’t too cold: he wasn’t sure what to think as the other priests disrobed and joined him in the pool: at least he now knew that Antarians weren’t all built like that guy on the viewer last night, what a relief!

Demar: there was no missing how uncomfortable the king was…
“Are you okay, Your Majesty?”

Max: “Yeah, just great. Now what?”

Demar: he walked through the water to the side and rang a bell: four priestesses appeared with bowls of steaming liquid and patiently waited…
“Now we are bathed.”

Max: he clamped down hard on his jaw so it wouldn’t drop open and make a splash in the water: bathed?

Demar: “Your Majesty?”

Max: he nodded before he remembered that he had to make his legs work in order to actually move: he slowly made his way over…
“Right.”
After what seemed an eternity in that pool being bathed, which he refused to dwell on, he was shown to what he assumed was some sort of meditation room that was lit by candles and filled with different aromas: he thought he smelled something like sage and lavender and several others that were simply beyond him: dressed in his fresh robe, they at least gave him back his boxers, he sat on the cushion on the floor with candles surrounding him and was handed a string of beads…
“A rosary?”

Demar: he took a seat next to him…
“A rosary? Uh, no, I don’t think they’re quite the same but close. These are to help you concentrate when chanting.”

Max: “Chanting? I’ve never done that. I think Buddhists chant.”

Demar: “And Ruan as well. It helps one to focus and see clearly.”

Max: he raised an unbelieving brow…
“I thought meditation did that.”

Demar: “It can. It can also help one find peace from within. Now, repeat after me…”

Max: he had to listen a few times in order to pronounce it, of course he hadn’t a clue what it meant: it sounded Antarian but…ancient: he began copying the priest and repeating the chant: he never did figure out what the words or chant actually meant and he wasn’t at all sure what he was getting out of all of this, but it was shaping up to be a long three days: that evening, though it seemed an eternity to him, he finally sat in the dining hall with everyone else: they were all dressed the same and no distinction was made between anyone: they were all served the same way, given the same thing, the same amount, and no talking was allowed: multi-tasking was a no-no here: as one they rose, taking their bowls and cups with them, and filed out, stacking their dishes after quickly cleaning them with their powers, and proceeded out the door, to where, he had no idea.

Demar: he stopped in front of the door and bowed to his majesty…
“This is your room. Have a good evening, Your Majesty. We shall come to collect you two hours before sunrise.”

Max: he was surprised, the sun had barely set and they were already going to bed…
“Well then, good night, Your Eminence.”

Demar: he bowed slightly…
“Good night, Your Majesty. Sleep well.”

Max: he entered the sparse room and glared at the cot: it just did not look like it would hold his weight for any length of time, like all night: his head shot up as he recalled Demar’s words, “Two hours before sunrise”…
“Oh no. Now I know what it means to go to bed with the chickens and rise with them. Damn.”
He carefully laid down and called out to his soul mate: maybe a little telepathic sex would tire him out enough to get some shut eye: it did eventually.

~

Setting: First Temple of Ruan, next morning

Max: he eyed this new priest critically as he followed him: he didn’t seem like much of a priest, nothing like Demar: where Demar was cool, calm, and collected, this one was anything but, he mumbled to himself as he bumbled along, befuddled would describe him, he thought: a very strange duck, indeed…
“So more chanting today?”

Twill: he turned for a moment, as if just remembering that there was someone following him: he smiled…
“Oh, no, not yet. The junrie berries are ripe and need picking. They are at their sweetest right before the sunrise.”
He brought them towards a simple wood door and pushed it open to the terrace that faced the city: he walked over to a small shed and fumbled around for the picking sacks before finally finding two and handing one to his guest…
“Here we go.”

Max: he wasn’t quite sure what to make of this as he slipped the sack over his head…
“Okay. Now what?”

Twill: he looked at him as if to say “isn’t it obvious?”…
“We pick. Here, I’ll show you. Now, only those that are dark and plump are ripe enough for picking. They’re the sweetest. The others we can leave for another day.”

Max: he watched the gnarled old hands go to work: he was a little surprised at how deft and quick those hands were…
“So, that’s it for today? Picking berries?”

Twill: “What? Oh, no, no.”

Max: by moonlight he picked as he waited for the priest to elaborate but he didn’t…
“So, what else are we going to do today?”

Twill: “Do?”

Max: “Yes, do?”
He was beginning to wonder if this priest was of sound mind.

Twill: “Do. We will do what needs to be done.”

Max: he sighed: this was getting nowhere fast…
“Right. So how long are we going to do this?”

Twill: “How long?”
He pondered for a moment: this one was certainly transfixed on time…
“Until we are done.”

Max: he gave up and just continued to pick berries.

Twill: he began humming a melody as he picked.

Max: he kept glancing over at the strange priest, trying to figure him out…
“What’s that tune you’re humming? It’s pretty catchy.”

Twill: “Huh, what tune?”

Max: “The one you were humming.”

Twill: “I was? When?”

Max: “Just a moment ago. You were humming a tune. What was the name of it?”

Twill: “Oh.”
He thought for a moment, what was that song called…
“Oh, ‘Another Sip of Wine’ I think. It’s been a while.”

Max: “Another Sip of Wine? How does it go? Are there words to it?”

Twill: “Words to what?”

Max he sighed…
“Nothing.”

Twill: “Words to nothing?”

Max: “No. I mean… Never mind.”
They were silent again, except for Twill’s resumed humming: the melody almost sounded like “99 Bottles of Beer” to him, but he didn’t dare ask him again.

Twill: “So, my young friend, why are you here at temple?”

Max: his mouth dropped open: didn’t this priest know who he was…
“Retreat. I’m supposed to meditate and I guess chant before bringing the Granolith back home.”

Twill: his eyes brightened at the mention of their sacred icon…
“It will be good to have the Granolith home again. It’s been hard not having it here. I’ve missed it. I used to talk to it so often when I was young and in study.”

Max: “Talk to it?”

Twill: “Of course. It knows all our history, our legends, our hopes, and keys to our future as well. That’s why it was sent to Earth.”

Max: he felt a chill run down his spine…
“Why was it sent to Earth?”

Twill: “I told you, it’s the key to our future.”

Max: “The Granolith?”

Twill: “Yes, that too.”

Max: “that too?”: why was it so difficult to get a straight answer out of a priest or priestess…
“Earth is the key to our future?”

Twill: “Of course.”

Max: “How?”

Twill: “How what?”

Max: “How is Earth the key to our future?”

Twill: “Because it is. Ruan foretold it and the Granolith confirmed it.”

Max: “Wait, the Granolith confirmed it. How did it do that?”

Twill: “Do what?”

Max: “Argh!”
This was like pulling teeth.

Twill: “Really! One must learn to control one’s temper in order to find one’s own peace.”

Max: he was getting frustrated and was starting to lose it …
“I don’t want peace, I want answers!”

Twill: “Answers! Then you have come to the right place. Ruan offers the path to many answers. What is the answer you seek? Perhaps I can guide you.”

Max: he took a deep breath and counted to ten before trying again…
“You said that Earth was the key to our future and that the Granolith confirmed it. How is Earth our future?”

Twill: he smiled as dawn approached: he put a kindly hand on the youth’s back and directed him to watch with him…
“See, look, Ruan has given you the answer.”

Max: “What answer? The sunrise?”

Twill: “Indeed. Now come. We must do our morning prayers so that the day can begin.”

Max: he hung his head in defeat as he followed the daffy priest back into the temple.

~

Setting: Similar time, offices surrounding the Chamber of Houses

Baxnor: he had never in his life seen such, such…grandeur: even a lower ranked House, such as his, was still a grand and opulent House and could easily afford to help two orphans from the country, he was certain: he patiently sat with his cousin and waited for his number to be called: they’d been there since early morning and it was nearing early evening: his stomach growled and he knew that Ambrea’s was as well, plus she was coughing more: he needed to get her to a healer but they were so busy with other more seriously ill and injured: a cough seemed like such a minor thing, even a worsening one such as hers: finally he was called and he gathered his cousin into his arms and stepped into the meeting room.

Secretary Fren: she reviewed the application: it had the proper endorsement from his immediate Lower House, who’d cited impoverishment as a reason why they couldn’t help directly and thus kicked it up to the highest level: she scanned the children in front of her: their clothes were worn and slightly tattered, the little girl seemed to be coughing and both looked hungry: she sat the document viewer aside and addressed the boy…
“You are Baxnor, of Tafnar House, from the Northern Region, Township of Tenan?”

Baxnor: “Y-yes. And this is my cousin, Ambrea.”

Fren: “Yes, of course. We have received your petition and the referral letter from Lower House Head Caylor. We of course will investigate and advise you of our decision shortly. Perhaps as early as next week.”

Baxnor: his stomach knotted and twisted as he listened to her words…
“Next week? But…but what are we supposed to do in the meantime? We used all the credits Caylor gave us to get here. We have nowhere else to go.”

Fren: she calmly detached a voucher and handed it to him…
“This stipend should be sufficient to see you both through to next week. No worries. Everything seems to be in order. We just have to get through the formalities. Come back the same time next week and I’m sure all will be in order.”

Baxnor: her words were only minimally reassuring: the truth was that he was tired, bone tired, tired of having to be the adult: he wanted to be the little boy again but it was beginning to seem like that desire was far off in the future: he nodded and took the stipend…
“Thank you. We will.”

Fren: “Good. Just another week, I’m sure.”

~

Very rarely do the Fates make anything cut and dry.

Author's note/hint - Brother Twill isn't as daffy as Max thinks.
TaffyCat
Addicted Roswellian

Post by TaffyCat »

Part 14

Setting:
First Temple of Ruan, later that night

Max: he tossed and turned for what seemed like hours before his body succumbed to sleep on the rickety cot: his mind was far from resting though as he began to dream…

He threw his head back as he basked in the warmth of the late afternoon: the smell of sea salt was heavy in the air as he heard the ocean lapping at the beach: he smiled as he opened his eyes to the glorious sight of the sun just beginning to set on the horizon: a sense of peace and safety washed over him: he was on a tropical paradise, what could possibly harm him here: he breathed deep in contentment as the sun sank lower, and kissed the vast ocean: as dusk began to blanket his paradise, a sense of foreboding: something was not right: he felt gooseflesh rise along his arms as the sun sank further and further, turning from the brilliant yellow-orange to the darkening red of dusk, the rays reflecting off the water casting a red tinge to all and growing ever darker: a blood red world: he felt a chill set in: he looked up and saw the storm clouds gathering: something wet and cold hit his nose: he reached for it: just a dollop of water: a raindrop: he held out his hand and a fine ice crystal fell from the sky and landed on his palm, and then another and another: it was snowing in his tropical paradise: he looked out across the horizon and saw the last weak rays of the red sun casting ever darkening blood red shadows across the water bringing darkness and the doom.

He bolted upright as his heart raced in near panic: doom, he was doomed, they all were: he looked around the small cell his was in: too small: it was too small: he had to get out: he had to breathe fresh air: he climbed out of the cot and threw open the shutters and breathed deep of the sea breeze that blew in on him: air, he needed air: he needed to feel it all over, be in it: this wasn’t enough and he hurried to the door: he needed to get outside and get some air: that’s it, he needed a bit of fresh air to quell his lingering fears from the disturbing dream.

Twill: he looked up when he heard the door creak open and smiled: his young helper had returned…
“Ah, there you are my young friend. I thank you for your offer but I’m afraid that the rest of the berries aren’t ready for picking yet.”

Max: he shook his head in confusion…
“I’m sorry, what?”

Twill: his eyes narrowed and he really looked at the young man: he had a sheen of sweat on his brow and he looked dazed, as if he wasn’t really sure where he was: Twill calmly put his garden tools away and took the young man’s hand and pulled him along…
“Come with me.”

Max: he followed Brother Twill back inside and down some stairs to a lower level: Brother Twill opened a large ancient looking door and bade him to follow him into some sort of cave that was lined with various plants and herbs hanging all over: he was led to the far side of the cave, in front of a massive door, to a low table surrounded by cushions and told to sit: he watched as the old man used his powers to start a blazing fire in the hearth and swung a metal arm that held up a cooking pot over it: he soon saw steam rising from the pot…
“What are you doing?”

Twill: he turned from harvesting different plants and herbs to his guest…
“Collecting the ingredients for our tea.”

Max: “Oh.”
He looked around more as the odd priest prepared their tea: there was a sleeping platform with rumpled bedding next to where he was sitting, another table containing various potted plants, what looked like an old fashion grinding stone and if he wasn’t mistaken that was a spinning wheel off to one side: it finally dawned on him that this was Brother Twill’s home.

Twill: “Here we go my young friend, a nice soothing cup of tea.”
He sat the two cups on the low table and then looked up at the massive closed door…
“Oh, almost forgot.”
He waved his hand and the door slid up, disappearing into the stone above…
“There, that’s better. I always enjoy my morning tea better when I can sit and watch the waves crash over the rocks and smell the fresh salt air.”

Max: his mouth was hanging open: they were almost at sea level, just a few feet above it: if that door wasn’t there this whole cave would be flooded during a storm: but Brother Twill was right, it was a beautiful scene: he took a sip of the tea, surprised at its rich spicy flavor…
“This is good. What’s in it?”

Twill: “Oh, a little of this, a little of that. And I’m always trying new things. I’m expecting some chamomile and mint on the next shipment from earth. I’ve never tried those before.”

Max: he smiled…
“Yeah, those are pretty good.”
He looked around the cave again and then at the massive view of the ocean…
“This is where you live?”

Twill: he studied a particular wave and tried to gage when it might break: too far out he decided…
“Yes. I asked for it.”

“Why didn’t they finish it off for you? Make it more comfortable?”

Twill: “It is comfortable.”
He pointed at a wave…
“Look, do you think that one will make it all the way to shore?”

Max: he shrugged…
“It might. It certainly is big enough.”

Twill: he shook his head…
“Size has nothing to do with it. Does it have the resiliency to go the distance? Watch.”
It broke about five feet from shore…
“See.”

Twill: he looked at his friend…
“No, you don’t. At least not consciously, but your dreams know. You must listen to what they tell you.”

Max: a chill went down his spine…
“How do you know about my dreams?”

Twill: “They are not so quiet as you might think.”

Max: he thought of his sister, but dreamwalking was a female trait…
“You got into my dreams?”

Twill: “No, they got into me.”

Max: “How?”

Twill: “How? How what? They just did.”

Max: “But…but there must be a reason.”

Twill: “Why?”

Max: “Well…because.”

Twill: “Because, why?”

Max: he felt like he was having a conversation with Zanya when she was in one of her difficult moods…
“Things don’t happen like that for no reason.”

Twill: “This is true.”

Max: “So how and why did you…connect to my dream?”

Twill: “Maybe so I would know that you would need a cup of tea and watch the morning waves break.”

Max: he sighed and sipped his tea…
“Are you always so…ambiguous?”

Twill: he smiled as he likewise sipped his tea and watched the wave…
“Only when it’s important.”

Max: “My dreams are important?”

Twill: “Always, my boy. Always.”

Max: “Will you answer some questions?”

Twill: “Ask, then I will tell you.”

Max: “Are we doomed?”

Twill: he didn’t blink…
“Doomed? We are all doomed from our first breath.”
He looked at the boy for a moment…
“Too all there is a beginning, a middle, and an end. But the end is just the beginning of the next and the process starts all over again.”

Max: he shook his head and pressed on for answers…
“How much time do we have?”

Twill: “Time enough, I think. If we act appropriately.”

Max: “What’s appropriately?”

Twill: “You already know.”

Max: “How? How do I know?”

Twill: “All is as it should be.”

Max: “But we’re doomed.”

Twill: “Yes. We have been from the beginning.”

Max: he figured it would be sacrilege to wring Brother’s Twill neck but it was a tempting idea at the moment: instead he tried again…
“Can you help me to understand?”

Twill: he looked back at the ocean: the first rays of the morning sun were reaching out and lighting the day…
“Of course, just open your eyes and you will see. The answer is before you.”

Max: “The ocean?”

Twill: he sighed but smiled kindly…
“When you are ready, you will know.”
He patted the youth’s hand…
“Now, drink your tea and enjoy the sunrise. We have time yet.”

Setting: Dusk the same day, slum area, edge of Antaria

Baylor: he held his cousin tight against him as he ran up the five flights of stairs to the roof: he could recall his father telling him of the time before the war, in his father’s time, when the Granolith was in on Antar and there was peace in the land: Baylor had never known such a time, his father never would: he wish his father was here to see this day: he gathered with the rest of the tenants up on the roof and watched in anticipation: today was the day that their new King Max would bring the Granolith home.

Setting: High Ruan Temple, exterior platform on summit of temple

Liz: she held her head high, as a queen should, as she took the steps one at a time: to her right and three steps behind was Isabel, looking every inch a royal princess and her brother’s representative to the Chamber: to Liz’s left and also three steps behind, Princess Royal Tess, also royally decked out: and behind them trailed Kyle and Alex, and then the Evanses, and then Bryal House: technically that was not correct, they weren’t immediate family in the strictest sense, but to hell with that: they’d been together for too long and through too much not to be called family: and to her immediate right, Queen Nataria, the Dowager Queen: she was magnificent in her royalness: Liz did her best to imitate her manner and decorum: Nataria had been incredibly kind to them all, especially her: she had reminded Liz that she too had married into the royal family and had over seventy years experience at being queen, which lead Liz to wonder exactly how old she was: Nataria didn’t look that much older than Diane but she obviously was: did Antarians age at a different rate than humans: she shook her head, now was not the time for such thoughts: she ascended the steps to the main platform on the roof of the temple: at the proper moment, Max would be coming followed by the priests and priestesses: she could feel him drawing near: she’d felt him for the last three days as his frustration grew: he’d found the experience confusing and couldn’t wait to be done with it, that is until today: today he had been in deep meditation: she’d still felt him but he’d seemed farther away than before, with the Granolith no doubt.

Nataria: she stayed the required one step behind the current Queen: she held her emotions in check but inside she was bursting with joy and pride: the Granolith, the most sacred of Ruan was being returned to its rightful place, and it was her son that was master of it and would guide its last leg of the journey home: she couldn’t help the maternal look of pride as she spotted her son ascending from a second set of stairs.

Setting: A few moments later the same day, slum area, edge of Antaria

Baylor: a cheer went up when someone with a sight glass announced that the king was now present: the Granolith should be appearing anytime now: he scanned the sky looking for any signs of it: according to the news reports, the king was going to command it down from the sky and call it towards him and its home in the temple: he lift Ambrea up a bit in his arms…
“Look for it. It’s coming.”
He smiled as she looked up and around: the money their House had given him was enough to rent a small room in a tenement for a couple of weeks: it wasn’t a great place, only marginally safe, but it was warm and dry, and he even had enough for food for a bit, and that had been enough for Ambrea to start to recover: she still coughed some but that constant deep raspy cough that had worried him so had lessoned in the last couple of days: things were going to get better, he just knew it: he pointed to the northern sky…
“There it is!”

Max: he’d been in concentrating on his connection to the Granolith all morning: it’d started just after morning tea with Brother Twill: he’d been taken to be ritually bathed, something he was sure he’d never get used to, and then to prayer and meditation, only the meditation was like none he’d ever done before: they’d been in a small room, sitting on a cushion on the floor in front of a large breezier with hot coals burning in it and every once in a while something was added to the fire, some sort of herb he thought: he had no idea how long he’d sat there, it could have been minutes, or hours, or days for all he could tell: all he could feel was the Granolith: he’d been calling it somehow: he could feel it, but at the same time he never let go of his bondmate: throughout the day, he’d kept one part of himself firmly in touch with Liz: he’d be lost without her: his eyes automatically sought her out as he came upon the platform: his expression never altered but his eyes told her everything: a baby cry of “DADA” drew his attention as his son squirmed to get out of his mom’s arms: his son had missed him too: his attention was drawn back to the First Priest Demar as he began a chant: the air seemed to literally pick up the chant and carry it in the wind: it felt as if the whole city was chanting as the rhythm seeped into his soul: he raised his right hand and silently called out.

Setting: A few moments later the same day, slum area, edge of Antaria

Baylor: his heart pounded as the Granolith floated through the sky on course to the temple: he’d thought it was simply going to streak past but instead it was at a nice easy pace: he had plenty of time to see it: then it slowed even more and began to spin causing sparks of brilliant colors to shootout in every direction: it was if it were taking rays of the sun, coloring them, and then throwing them out in the sky: it was the most beautiful light show he’d ever witnessed: there seemed to be some sort of musical beat behind it that only added to the beauty of it: the “oohs” and “ahhs” he heard surrounding him told him that he wasn’t the only one that thought so: and just think, it was the king that was making this happen: he had to be a remarkable person.

Maria: she watched in fascination as Max used his powers to bring the Granolith home: remembering the last time how Max had to so tightly control the Granolith, she kept glancing between Max, the Granolith, and Liz to see if Max seemed to be under any strain or anything: she figured Liz would be the first to sound the warning, but so far, so good: she heard a shocked gasp and turned in time to see the Granolith slow and begin to spin and produce a magnificent light show: she watched in awe for a while as the spinning took on a beat of its own: it almost seemed like it was timed to music: an accompany tune began to play in her head: it was a tune that she knew.

Max: his eyes were closed but he saw everything as he made the Granolith spin: he decided to give the people a bit of a show as a song with a good beat played out in his head….
to
I took a walk around the world to
ease my troubled mind
I left my body laying somewhere
in the sands of time
I watched the world float to the dark
side of the moon
I feel there is nothing i can do, yeah

I watched the world float to the
dark side of the moon
after all I knew it had to be something
to do with you
I really don't mind what happens now and then
as long as you'll my friend at the end

If I go crazy then will you still
call me Superman
if I'm alive and well, will you be
there holding my hand
I'll keep you by my side with
my superhuman might
kryptonite

You call me strong, you call me weak,
but still your secrets i will keep
you took for granted all the times I
never let you down
you stumbled in and bumped your head, if
not for me then you would be dead
I picked you up and put you back
on solid ground

call me Superman
If I'm alive and well, will you be
there holding my hand
my superhuman might
kryptonite

call me Superman
If I'm alive and well, will you be
there holding my hand
my superhuman might
kryptonite

yeah!

Liz: she smiled: Max could only marginally carry a tune.

Maria: quizzically, she leaned close to her best friend…
“That’s funny. I swear I could hear a song playing… but the vocalist sucks.”

Liz: “Um hum.”

Maria: she rolled her eyes…
“Only a guy would bring a religious icon home to the tune of a rock song.”

Aunt Trudy: she could feel the electricity in the air: when the Granolith slowed and began to spin she noticed the surprised looks on the priests, on all except one: as a rock song she’d heard Zan play on a few occasions seemed to strum in the wind, she studied this priest more closely: he seemed ancient: he noticed her studying him and turned and nodded in her direction: she nodded back: he had kind eyes but there was something more underneath: she bet he was one hell of a poker player.

Brother Twill: he could feel her eyes upon him: he turned and nodded politely to the lady that was staring at him: he quickly appraised the lady before turning his attention back to the brilliant light and surprising music display their king was giving them: he had the distinction impression that she was a lady to be reckoned with, friend or foe, he didn’t know but hoped as a friend: time would tell all.

Demar: his face was stoically neutral but inside he wanted to jump for joy: in all his years, he never thought he would be the one to oversee the return of the Granolith: he had done everything he could think of to prepare the temple and the people for its return, which had gone remarkably well, but he knew he was only marginally successful in preparing His Majesty: it had been very obvious to all almost immediately that King Max truly did not believe: that had been why the Most Reverend Brother Twill had been called upon from his retirement to befriend and hopefully teach their young king: if anyone could guide the king on a journey of self discovery, it was Brother Twill: and it was paramount that he understand, but it must be an understanding that can only come from self examination and discovery for it to have the appropriate significance: so far the results had been mixed: he turned his eyes and thoughts back to the magnificent light and music show: he briefly wondered what that song was, he was certain he’d never heard it before: he sighed inwardly, soon all of this would no longer be his responsibility, for with the Granolith’s return, so too did the Most Reverended High Priestess Caleen.

Max: he wondered if everyone could feel the rhythm of the granolith like he could: he’d try to give a beat that made sense to him: in the past few days very little had made sense to him and as he meditated today in preparation for this, he knew from the bottom of his soul that there was something important they were wanting him to understand: he wished that they’d just tell him and quit with all the riddles: he breathed deeply as the Granolith closed in and hovered over the special platform, it was the same platform that it had been hastily torn from over fifty years ago, first to Renular and then to Earth: he could almost feel a sigh of relief from it as it gently settled into the proper place: they all turned as if one, and bowed to it: the Granolith had returned home.

High Priestess Caleen: she peered out the window of the hovercraft that had been trailing the Granolith and watched it spin wildly: a slight grin tugged at her lips: that was unexpected, she thought: she knew that her predecessor had only been able to do only one intense session with their new king: it was obviously a successful one: she closed her eyes for a moment and concentrated on the sound, a beat, a melody, a fast paced one: the words were in the Earth’s English language, something she’d studied it while on Renular: the words were interesting: she opened her eyes and saw the Granolith glide effortlessly through the air: yes, this new king was strong, but young and mostly untrained: there was no way to predict what he might do: a true unknown: she allowed the grin to grow for a moment as she considered their new king and of what Ruan was expecting of him: this should be interesting.

Sometimes people fail to see what the Fates have placed right in front of them.

Song is Kryptonite by Three Doors Down.
TaffyCat
Addicted Roswellian

Post by TaffyCat »

Part 15

Setting:
Earth, Antarian Embassy a week later

Zan: he sat back comfortably and inhaled the cigar: he took a moment to watch the smoke swirl around a bit…
“So tell me, Mr. Rhines, what exactly are looking to sell again?”

Rhines: “Only the finest distilled spirits that ever came out of Kentucky, Your Highness.”

Zan: “I see.”
Shit, now what…
“Mr. Rhines, I’m not sure your wares will be well received on Antar. See, based on past experience, Antarians do not take too well to alcohol.”
Actually the opposite was true and they took too well to it and that was the problem.

Rhines: he sat back at that…
“Are you forbidding us from selling alcohol on Antar?”

Zan: YES!

Rhines: he took the prince’s silence as his answer…
“I understood that Antar was now a free society and that you were encouraging free trade with Earth. Is that not the case?”

Zan: he could remember well, or maybe not so well as the case turned out, the times he and Rath had split a beer, or smoked a joint: a simple pinner and they’d been stoned off their asses for hours and eating everything in site, or drunk as a skunk and passed out somewhere: the last thing he wanted to do was introduce whiskey to his home world…
“It is as you say, a free society and open market, however is it wise to get somebody that has powers to loose all control?”

Rhines: “It is not our fault that people don’t know their limits. But whether to drink or not is still their decision. You can’t make it for them.”

Zan: damn, damn, damn, he knew he was right and it sucked…
“Of course, the special taxes and tariffs will apply.”

Rhines: he nodded in agreement…
“Of course, of course.”

Zan: “You can have your firm check with my assistant as to the next cargo ship that has room…”

Rhines: he waved his hand…
“No need, Your Highness. We already have that lined up via Cromar and then Dranular. A bit of a long way around, I admit, but we figured shorter than waiting of an Antarian cargo, what with all of the critical need shipments they carry. We certainly wouldn’t want to impede a much needed food shipment.”

Zan: it was his turn to nod: no doubt they figured that they’d be towards the bottom of the list for cargo space…
“How very… resourceful of you.”
He bowed to the inevitable…
“I’ll make sure you are given the proper paperwork.”

Rhines: he smiled in satisfaction…
“Thank you, Your Highness. That would be most helpful.”
He waved toward the box of cigars…
“And please, enjoy these in good health.”

Zan: he rose from the leather sofa along with his guest…
“I shall. Thank you.”
He started to escort him to the door but paused half way and waved his glowing hand…
“Just something to ponder on the long voyage to Antar and your hot new market. Be careful you don’t get burned, Mr. Rhines.”

Rhines: he tried to swallow but had no spit: his eyes were huge as he nodded at the Prince of Antar, as the huge reptilian statue, some sort of dragon he thought, that had stood quietly in the corner suddenly sprung to life, roaring, and breathing fire and brimstone at him as he quickly exited the office in great need of finding a bathroom.

Tobias: he barely raised an eyebrow at the snarling statue as he entered the room…
“You still need to work on the snarl some more. It supposed to have high pitched squeak to it.”

Zan: he waved his hand and the statue returned to it’s normal stone setting…
“A dragon that squeaks. Great scary monsters you got there on Antar.”

Tobias: “Indeed. So when is Antar getting its first shipment of whiskey?”

Zan: he sighed…
“Too soon. They already booked alternative cargo space via Cromar and Dranular. Anyway we can stop them?”

Tobias: He shook his head…
“Nope, not if His Majesty was serious about those added freedoms and open markets.”
He grinned…
“Though those added tariffs are going to help pad the coffers, something we need badly.”

Zan: “Yeah, to pay for Antarian AA programs.”

Tobias: he’d been on Earth long enough to be aware of what AA was, besides his girlfriend was a nurse…
“You can’t choose for them. Did you ever drink?”

Zan: he handed a cigar to Tobias and took a long drawl of his own…
“Yeah, not even a half a beer and I was drunk off my ass. Rath too. I heard Max had a similar experience. And you saw what happened to Kyle at Max and Liz’s engagement party.”

Tobias: he suppressed the grin that threatened: Kyle would never live that karaoke experience down…
“True.”
He looked at his planner then back up at his prince…
“You have exactly fifteen minutes to get Ava to her doctor’s appointment. And need I remind you of the last time…”
He didn’t need to finish: Zan was already out the door.

Setting: Earth, Antarian Embassy a short time later

Caprian: he looked up as his son entered…
“Did he make it in time?”

Tobias: he smiled…
“They had to take a shuttle but yes, I understood it landed at John Hopkins with three minutes to spare.”

Caprian: he breathed out, one potential disaster averted: he shuddered at the memory of the last time Zan had made Ava late for an appointment: those mood swings were lethal and he hadn’t even been in the direct line of fire…
“Good. Good. How did the meeting go with that distillery representative?”

Tobias: he smirked…
“About as expected.”

Caprian: he rolled his eyes: he’d been asked to stay on and help his son establish the Antarian Embassy and get Prince Zan situated: he knew it was going to be quite a task but he had no idea how challenging and unexpected it would truly be until it was too late and he’d already agreed: Prince Zan had a mind of his own, no matter what he counseled…
“Did he do the dragon thing again?”

Tobias: “Uh huh.”

Caprian: “And?”

Tobias: “He still needs to work on the squeak.”

Caprian: he shook his head again: Prince Zan amazed him: he did everything he shouldn’t and yet still managed to get away with things that were just beyond comprehension: Caprian checked the list of the latest shipment headed towards Antar and this time shook his head in admiration and wondered how Prince Zan had managed to convince that auto manufacturer, Mercedes he thought it was, to depart with all those ground transport vehicles in exchange for just a few old shuttle transports: something about reverse engineering he’d heard: amazing.

Setting: John Hopkins, about the same time

Ava: she regarded Zan’s expression as he gazed at the monitor: the phrase “pleased as punch” just about covered it: she followed his gaze and had to smile…
“So?”

Doctor Yip: “So, you have a very healthy baby here.”
He finished the scan and then made some notes on her chart…
“We’re still looking at slightly early Christmas present. You still don’t want to know the sex, correct?”

Ava: “Yes, that’s correct.”

Zan: he just continued grinning like fool at the ultrasound picture that the nurse handed him: he studied it a bit closer and then really grinned…
“Hey, it’s a boy and take a look at his…”

Doctor Yip: he gave the picture a quick glance…
“Umbilical cord.”

Zan: “Oh.”
He held it closer: he guess that could be the cord: damn, for a moment there he thought he was going to have one hell of boy.

Ava: she rolled her eyes: Zan could be such a guy…
“So anything we need to do?”

Doctor Yip: “Just keep doing what you’re doing. Plenty of rest, and eat right and moderate exercise. And I’ll see you in two weeks. Are there any questions?”
There weren’t, so he had his receptionist make the next appointment: he had been honored to be chosen as the obstetrician for the royal alien couple: he’d been referred to them by Doctor Morgan in Boston, Queen Liz’s obstetrician for the birth of Prince Philip: he was the envy of his colleagues who were all expecting something spectacular, but so far it was a simple uncomplicated pregnancy, no glowing at all other than the normal glow of an expectant mother.

Zan: he studied the picture of the baby, his baby, was that really the umbilical cord: the elevator jerked to a stop and he looked up as the doors slid open revealing the roof and a cold wind blowing: he took Ava’s elbow and guided her to the waiting shuttle.

Ava: she watched him study the picture again as they waited for takeoff…
“It’s an umbilical cord, Zan.”

Zan: he scratched his chin in contemplation…
“Yeah, I guess.”

Ava: she shook her head…
“What is it about guys wanting their sons to be…well, well endowed. It’s not a reflection on you.”

Zan: his head shot up…
“You saying I’m not?”

Ava: she rolled her eyes…
“For the love of God, chill out.”

Zan: “You didn’t answer the question.”

Ava: “Zan, you’re fine.”
She smiled to herself as she thought, {but I haven’t had anyone to compare it to so how would I know.}

Zan: he scowled…
“I heard that.”

Ava: she sighed: damn connection…
“Zan, I’m just teasing.”

Zan: “That’s not a good thing to tease a guy about.”

Ava: “Okay, fine, I’m sorry. Won’t happen again.”
They felt the shuttle touch down and moment later the door slid open: Zan took her hand and they both smiled broadly, there was a film crew on hand, part of a local documentary production on the Antarian arts, including gardens: funny thing was, it was a British guy that’d designed their gardens and courtyard, including the one surrounding the shuttle landing pad at the embassy: they were once again the royal ambassador and his wife as they smiled and nodded on their way into the embassy proper: they parted with a quick kiss a she headed upstairs to check on their daughter.

Zanya: her arms were crossed in stubbornness as she pouted…
“I no wanna.”

Clea: she sighed inwardly: she’d been employed in the finest houses on Antar and Renular and had been honored and excited to be selected as the governess for Princess Zanya and visit Earth: she understood that children had minds of their own, but this one exceeded at it…
“I’m sorry young lady but you have to.”
She held up the dress and attempted to pry one of the arms loose and then the other.

Ava: she peaked into her daughter’s room, which had recently been redone in a rainbow motif with a multitude of colors…
“How’s it going in here?”
She knew that look on her daughter and could sympathize with the frustrated look on Clea.

Clea: she bowed slightly, as was appropriate, to Her Royal Highness…
“Fine, Your Highness, just getting Princess Zanya ready for her afternoon music lesson.”

Ava: she stifled a snort: children of high-ranking families on Antar and Renular were expected to learn at least one musical instrument: the music room had recently been relocated to the basement: they would have moved it across the street, down the block, in the next town, if they could have: music didn’t seem to be Zanya’s forte so far…
“Yes…um…”
She leveled a glare at her daughter…
“Zan – ya…”

Zanya: her arms dropped to her sides so Clea could slip the dress on her but her pout remained.

Ava: “Good girl.”
She sighed: she wished she was just that stay at home mom again and part-time student: but she wasn’t: now she was a royal princess and an ambassador’s wife, not to mention growing ever more pregnant by the second: she checked her watch and frowned…
“Okay, honey, I’ll see you after your music time.”

Zanya: she pouted as her mommy kissed her, but as Mommy pulled away she wrapped her arms around her…
“Mommy, you and Daddy won’t forgets teas time, huh?”

Ava: she smiled: it was their afternoon ritual: one that she and Zan promised Zanya they wouldn’t break, and to come hell or high water, they weren’t…
“Of course not. That’s our time. It’s marked off on the calendar every single day of the year.”

Zanya: she beamed at Mommy: she loved their tea time: some times they went out for tea or ice cream, she liked the ice cream best, but usually Mommy and Daddy came into her room and sat at her table and they had tea and sandwiches and cookies and played games: she liked games, especially the ones her and Daddy made up together, usually those made Miss Clea frown though: but Daddy didn’t care…
“Okay Mommy, maybes I do bedder on the pie-ano.”

Ava: “I’m sure you will, honey. You’ll be playing chopsticks in no time.”
In the basement and out of earshot, I hope, she finished off silently as Zanya nodded in agreement and took Clea’s hand: and off they went to torture some poor piano teacher, while Ava returned to her office and duties.

Lady Drena: “Your Royal Highness.”
She bowed to Princess Ava as she entered: Drena had been selected by Lord Caprian as head secretary to Her Royal Highness and was charged with keeping Princess Ava’s schedule and making sure Princess Ava covered all of her responsibilities and was seen in a good light at all times.

Ava: she nodded to her secretary as she crossed the room and took a seat behind the ornate desk: she’d been worried that she wouldn’t have what it took to be an ambassador’s wife, after all she really wasn’t more than a street smart kid from New York with no real education, but somehow from somewhere it just came to her, some hidden instinct…
“Lady Drena, what do we have on schedule for this afternoon?”

Lady Drena: she didn’t need to glance at the schedule; she kept it in her heard…
“We need to select various goodwills and charities for you to sponsor.”

Ava: “Right, and what are the recommendations?”

Lady Drena: she laid out the list before Her Highness and chanced a personal inquiry…
“Is everything well with the expected one?”
She glanced quickly at the growing belly: a pregnant Royal Princess didn’t happen everyday and was a news worthy event: the media both here on Earth and on Antar were clamoring for interviews and updates on the growing Royal family: a few were granted but not many and only on occasion was Princess Zanya included: they worked hard to maintain some privacy and didn’t want their daughter to be “on display” as they called it: no doubt it would be the same with the new one: pity.

Ava: she perused the list…
“Fine. Everything is fine. Still on schedule for late December.”
She scowled at the list…
“Museums, dance schools, symphonies, and various artist and foundations for the arts.”
She shook her heard…
“You couldn’t drag Zan to a symphony or opera, and you’d only get him to a play if it were a good comedy, same for me. I can’t sponsor these things. I know they’re valuable and deserving but they’re just not me.”

Lady Drena: “But Your Highness, tradition…”

Ava: “Since when are Zan and I traditional? Show me what other charities and causes you have. All of them.”
After almost an hour Ava was finally satisfied with her selection.

Lady Drena: she’s aghast…
“But… but… Your Highness, these aren’t…they aren’t that well received charities. They are usually supported by Ruan since no ones else will have anything else to do with them. It would not be looked upon favorably if you, and by extension Prince Zan, were to sponsor such causes.”

Ava: “So? I can think of nothing more important than sponsoring programs to assist those without Houses to support them, and children without anything, that have done nothing except be born into unfortunate circumstances. Need I remind you that Zan and I were both left on the streets of New York as children with nothing? We know more than anyone else of means of what it takes to survive on your own. We can relate to them and to these charities. These will be the ones that we sponsor. Make the appropriate arrangements and let me know how we can most help.”

Lady Drena: she bowed…
“Yes, Your Highness.”
She left the room to make the arrangements as instructed: she understood why the princess had chosen as she had, but it didn’t change the fact that most of Antar would not understand and would not look favorably upon this.

Setting: Earth, Antarian Embassy, Ambassador’s Office, same time

Zan: he rose and extended his hand with a sincere smile…
“Father Rodriguez, it’s good to see you. It’s been about a year hasn’t?”

Father Rodriguez: he nodded and took the hand in a firm shake…
“A little over. Not since Prince Philip’s baptism, I believe. We’ve missed your attendance.”

Zan: his smile slipped a bit…
“Er… sorry Father. I gotta admit to not being overly into church.”

Father Rodriguez: “I understand. No worries though, you are in my daily prayers.”

Zan: he wasn’t entirely sure how to take that but decided on the diplomatic approach…
“Um, thank you, Father.”

Father Rodriguez: he smiled knowingly: he knew of course that neither Zan or Ava had ever been regular members, or even considered members at all: they only attended when Philip and Diane had attended: they weren’t even baptized, nor was their daughter for that matter, but one could always hope: besides, they were good people with good hearts, who were trying to do the right thing, and they could use all the help they could get: which was why he was here…
“Your Highness, may I introduce Father Pastori.”

Zan: “Father Pastori, welcome.”
They shook hands and sat down across from either on the two facing sofas in the office: a butler with a tray of tea and cookies immediately appeared and was placed on the low table between them with the butler disappearing just a quickly: Zan had been surprised at the last minute meeting request: he barely knew Father Rodriguez and only because Mom and Dad had insisted they attend church as a family: like Max, Zan and even Ava, while they had great respect for it, weren’t overly comfortable with organized religion and avoided it whenever possible…
“What can I do for you?”

Father Rodriguez: while Father Pastori sipped his tea, he started things off…
“As you probably know, the Church has been lending its support through Antar’s Order of Ruan and is organizing a visit to help better understand the people of Antar and their needs and how best to serve them. We were here to pick up our visas for the trip and since we heard that you were in attendance at the residence today, we thought we should pay our respects as well.”

Zan: he sipped the tea as he carefully studied the two priests: Lord Caprian had been giving him pointers on what to watch for in body language, which usually told more than any words that were spoken, and this case was no different: they wanted something: normally they would have been given an appointment for some time in the next few weeks or so, but since this was Father Rodriguez, Zan knew he had no choice but to grant their request for an immediate appointment or he’d never hear the end of it from Mom of how he had disrespected the family’s religious advisor and friend…
“Wonderful. I’m so glad you could come by. Was everything in order for your visa?”

Father Pastori: he figured he’d drunk enough tea…
“Yes, yes, we picked them up without trouble. However…”
He paused for a moment as he switched gears…
“We did want to speak to you about something.”

Zan: he nodded politely and wondered if someone would ever stop by just to visit: no strings attached: sighed inwardly as he figured that no matter how bad he might have it, Max had it ten-fold: there was some perverse comfort in that…
“Of course, what did you wish to speak about?”

Father Pastori: “As you might know, the Church has been involved in caring for the children, orphans or those abandoned, for generations. Including overseas adoptions.”

Zan: he felt the skin on the back of his neck start to prickle: he knew that Lord Caprian had quietly slipped in and was standing at the back of the room: he could somehow sense that Caprian had tensed up, though he was sure that if he looked, he wouldn’t see any difference in appearance…
“Yes, go on.”

Father Pastori: “After such a long, horrible war, there are undoubtedly thousands of children without families to care for them on Antar.”
He took a breath…
“We also have heard of the…I apologize for not knowing the right term so I’ll use an earth term instead…outcasts on Antar that really don’t have much of a future, from what we hear that is. We’ve had several hundred inquiries from parishioners about their possible adoptions. These are good families that could offer wonderful homes and a new start in life for these children. We were wondering if it were a possibility.”

Zan: he was torn: he knew next to nothing of Antar, had never even seen it, yet he considered it his home world: but at the same time he knew what it was like to grow up alone with no one to help, no one to support you, no where to go: and he knew how much better it was when he did stumble upon a family, his family now, and how much of a difference they’d made in his and Ava’s lives: and Zanya, thanks to them his little girl will never know the hardships he and Ava had faced growing up: but she was a princess of a world she didn’t even know: did she care: did he care: what was more important: he felt a longing for Antar, his home world, but earth was his home: he and Ava had even decided to stay because it was more comfortable here: what was more important…
“That’s an interesting idea. I would need to… explore it some.”

Father Rodriguez: he had been studying Antar and their religion and society: he had informed the Bishop and others that Antar might not be as open as one might think: if they were to have a chance, they would have to appeal to someone who understood what was at stake and what was potentially being offered first hand…
“Of course, that’s all that we can ask.”
He paused before casually asking…
“By the way, how are your mom and dad?”

Zan: cheap shot, he thought…
“Fine. Mom will be coming on the transport with the Ruan Priests and Priestesses. We’re hoping she will make it before the new baby arrives. We’ll undoubtedly need the extra help with Zanya. Dad’s keeping busy.”

Father Rodriguez: he smiled and nodded: he knew he had him…
“Yes, that’s wonderful. Diane is such a wonderful and caring woman and mother. She waited a long time to become a mother and I know that she’s enjoyed her children and now grandchildren immensely. Your father too.”
They rose and took their leave: they doubted they’d hear anything before their transport left, but hopefully they would be able to pick up the dialog again with King Max directly, or perhaps through Philip: their motives were twofold, to help the ones truly in need, and if they could, save their souls as well: after all King Max, Queen Liz, and Prince Philip had been baptized and saved, so there was precedence.

Lord Caprian: he waited until the door closed before turning to his prince…
“No.”

Zan: he wasn’t overly surprised: he’d felt the growing tension from his advisor during the meeting but wanted hear his reasoning…
“Why?”

Caprian: “It’s just not done. It’s not our way. The Houses provided for the orphans and abandoned children. They would consider it… outside interference for anybody to come in and take them. They would be seen as not being able to provide for their own, which would lower their ranking. They won’t stand for it.”

Zan: “Can they provide? All the Houses for ALL the children?”

Caprian: “They have to.”

Zan: “But can they? And what of the outcast ones? What can they expect in life?”

Caprian: “Yes! The Houses have stood for over a thousand years. They know what they must do and will do it! As for the outcasts, they know what to expect. If they don’t want to continue their fate, then they shouldn’t have children.”

Zan: his lips snarled in anger…
“May I remind you that I do know what it’s like to live in the streets and sewers? To have nothing but the clothes on my back and a shit hole to call home and if it weren’t for the Evanses, who took me in and made me their son, I would still be there, as would my daughter. Are you telling me I deserved that life? That Zanya deserved that life?!”

Caprian: he was so startled at the outburst that he took a physical step backwards: from his point of view, the Church was an interloper, who was daring to assume part of the role and responsibility of the Houses: he knew that most of Antar would also see it that way: adoption from outside one’s House was very rare, almost unheard of, and the House who was giving up a child to another House was looked upon with disfavor and assumed too poor or weak to provide for it: he had overlooked and failed to consider that on Earth, particularly in this part of their world, adoptions weren’t at all uncommon, and of the major role it played in their current Royal family …
“I apologize, Your Highness. But you must remember, Antar is not Earth. Our customs are not the same. Also, you must consider that while most families are as wonderful as the Evanses and would welcome the children, there will be some that will do so only to exploit them. Think of it, them with children with powers in their hands. Not only would it be incredibly sad, it could also be dangerous. For everyone.”

Zan: he paused: he had seen the ugliness of the world: you didn’t have to look far when you’re on the streets: the drugs, the abuse, the fear: it could turn you if you weren’t strong enough: look what happened to Lonnie, to Rath: sick and twisted, monsters who would do anything to anyone to get what they wanted and no one to stop them: he wouldn’t want that for anyone….yet, could he deny a vastly larger number of them a better life with people like the Evanses because of a few possible bad ones: was that fair…
“You have a point… I’ll think about it.”

There is nothing more confusing and chaotic then when the Fates try to blend two homes into one.
TaffyCat
Addicted Roswellian

Post by TaffyCat »

Part 16

Setting:
Antar, palace’s private quarters, two weeks later

Diane: she laid her head on his chest and sighed contentedly: she could hear his heart slowing as they both relaxed, happily sated…
“Philip, are you sure you’re okay with this? I mean this is the longest we’d ever been separated and over the holidays even.”

Philip: he took deep even breaths to help his body cool down…
“It’ll be okay. The kids need us. Zan and Ava are going to have their hands full when the new baby comes.”

Diane: “You could come too.”

Philip: he had to admit that it was tempting, but he was needed here: what was expected of Max was crazy, in his opinion, it was simply too much for any one person to handle, yet Max had no choice: he had used Philip as a sounding board often: their nightly pool game was both a release and a chance to return to their roles and bond as father and son: he’d always thought he was close to his son but it was only recently, mainly during those pool games, that he realized that he had only known one side of him: while Philip had no official role, he felt deep down that Max need him here if for no other reason than moral support and to remind him of where he came from and who was, Max Evans…
“Tempting, but I’m needed here.”
He turned slightly and smiled at his wife…
“And you’re needed there. You’ve always been better with Zan than I have, and Ava is really going to need your help with Zanya once the baby is born.”

Diane: she smiled as she pictured her little granddaughter and recalled clearly how she’d loved, then hated, her cousin when she realized he was getting some of the attention that used to be solely hers: there was no doubt in anyone’s mind that it was going to be ten-times worse when Zanya’s baby brother or sister is brought on the scene: a grandparent to pay extra attention to Zanya was absolutely required until things settled down: besides Diane had missed them terribly…
“You’re right. It’s just going to feel so strange for all of us not to be together for the holidays.”

Philip: “They’re grown, Diane. This was bound to happen. They all have families of their own, and their own traditions to start. We always knew that was going to happen one day, though I admit intergalactic travel was an unexpected twist.”

Diane: she rolled her eyes…
“That’s an understatement. I have no regrets though. As crazy as our lives became, I wouldn’t change anything. Finding Max and Isabel that night in the desert was the best thing that ever happened to us.”

Philip: he kissed her forehead…
“I agree.”

Diane: “Philip, what do you think of Zan’s recommendation for outside adoptions? It certainly ignited a firestorm here.”

Philip: “I know. I can understand both sides. The Houses resenting outside interference and the Church and many on Earth thinking that their egos are getting in the way of helping those in need. I know Max is really struggling with this one. I don’t see how this will be resolved without Ruan stepping in to mediate.”

Diane: “And so far they’re staying silent.”

Philip: “I talked to Nataria about it. They’re as torn as we are. It’s tough to fight a thousand years of tradition.”

Diane: “What did Larek have to say?”

Philip: “He advised against it. He promised to see if he could get the individual families on Renular to pitch in more and maybe take in some of the orphans and help those left destitute from the war. They almost all have ties to the Houses here. It would be seen as distant cousins, an extension of the Houses, helping instead of complete strangers. He thought the Houses would be more open to it.”

Diane: “That’s a good idea. But what about the ones without Houses?”

Philip: “I’m afraid that for the moment, they’re on their own.”
The words tasted bitter but there wasn’t anything he could do about it other than to thank the good lord that his children and extended family were all healthy and happy and doing well.

Diane: it broke her heart to think of the ones, especially children, that were suffering: but it was her last night before boarding the ship for home, Earth, and she didn’t want it to be a sad one so she decided to change the subject…
“At least Amy and Jim and Justin will be here for Christmas.”

Philip: he smirked at that…
“Yeah, I’m sure Michael can’t wait.”

Diane: she lightly smacked his chest…
“Michael gets along well with Amy. And the Jim has been a surrogate father to him.”

Philip: “True. True. But he IS Maria’s step-father and has a long trip through space to listen to Amy about the marriage, or lack thereof, situation.”

Diane: “Ugh, I just don’t understand why he’s dragging his feet. He obviously loves her and she loves him. They’re already bonded. What’s he waiting for?”

Philip: he loved Maria and Michael, they were part of his extended family, but he wasn’t their father and for that he was grateful: he was quite happy to let Jim handle this one: he shrugged…
“His feet to thaw out?”
They fell silent as he held her close as they watched the red dawn approach: this would be the last time in months that they’d be together.

Setting: Later the same day, Antarra Palace

Max: he stared out the window at the scene below in the garden and wondered why he was down there, and why Aunt Trudy was apparently arguing with him.

Trevan: he entered the king’s office and noticed His Majesty staring out the window: clearing his throat…
“Your Majesty, the High Priestess Caleen is here for her appointment.”

Max: he continued to stare out the window trying to gain new insights by watching him…
“Very well, escort her in.”
He turned as he heard her enter: he gave her an ever so slightly bow in respect and bade her enter and sit on the comfortable couches: he waited until tea was poured and the servants left before beginning…
“Thank you for coming, Your Eminence.”

Caleen: she nodded politely…
“Of course, Your Majesty. We are always here to serve.”

Max: “Yes, of course.”
He took a sip of tea as did the priestess: he’d never drunk much tea at home, coffee and sodas, lots of sodas, but tea was something served over ice on a hot summer afternoon when you ran out of sodas: now he was forced to drink it hot all the time as it was the customary drink for informal occasions, as was idle chitchat…
“How are you settling back in to Antar? I understand you left when High Priestess Serela did? Is it as you remembered it?”

Caleen: she knew the custom well and was very practiced at them…
“Memories are what we want them to be and not always what they were.”
She could almost see him roll his eyes even though he did nothing but smile politely: she decided to be a bit more upfront with him, after all it served both their purposes but only to a point…
“It is much the same but different. There is much more need now.”

Max: “Indeed. Has the extra assistance passed by the Houses for those in need and who lost loved ones in the war been of benefit?”

Caleen: she hesitated for a moment…
“All assistance is appreciated, but… it is somewhat disconcerting to have the identification checks on all the participants. We are concerned that it will turn some away, which of course would contradict the very basic teachings of Ruan.”

Max: he caught the hesitation and listened carefully: he’d been worried of that very thing but had been assured when he signed it that it wouldn’t be a detriment…
“I can sympathize but it was necessary to determine those that qualify.”

Caleen: “Yes, we understand but still, it is not the politicians that must tell those that don’t that they can’t have it.”

Max: he bowed his head…
“That is true but it was the only way it would pass in the Houses. We do want to help.”

Caleen: “Yes, that is very clear to all. I understand Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, along with her Lady in Waiting Ms. De Luca will be visiting a local center this afternoon.”

Max: “Yes, I’m sure they’ll both be most interested in ascertaining how the aide is helping and how we can help further.”
He shifted slightly…
“Which brings me to another matter and a question.”

Caleen: she of course had a pretty good idea what His Majesty wanted: one in her position would never come before the king unprepared if it at all could be avoided…
“Of course, please ask and I will try to answer.”

Max: “Thank you.”
He took a breath and wondered if her answer would make any sense: it usually didn’t when dealing with priests or priestesses…
“What is Ruan’s position on adoption of orphans by humans on earth?”

Caleen: she had already received word of Prince Zan’s recommendations as well as his reservations: they were both well founded…
“I believe the people of earth are very generous, caring individuals with the best intentions at heart.”

Max: he could hear it coming…
“But….”

Caleen: “I believe there is a saying on earth, ’the road to ruin is paved with good intentions.’”

Max: “I see. So Ruan would not support it at this time.”

Caleen: she sighed…
“No, not at this time.”

Max: he sat back: he’d read the report and even talked to Zan at length: and they’d both agreed…
“I hope you understand that both Isabel and I had wonderful childhoods and were and are loved very much. And when Zan came, he and Ava were welcomed as well. In fact, as you know, my adoptive mother just left to go be with them and their daughter, her granddaughter, for the birth of their second child. We are looking to offer the same for those that have nothing. With Ruan overseeing it, how could that not be a good thing?”

Caleen: she took an even breath….
“I am grateful for all the things and the love that the Evans family gave to all of you. We give our heartfelt gratitude to them for caring for you all so well, and for continuing to do so. And we do understand your good intentions. But let me ask you this, how did you feel growing up? Did you fit in?”

Max: “I…”
He had to pause: had he really fit in…
“They were very kind to us, made us a part of their family.”

Caleen: “But did you feel that you fit in? Or was something missing?”

Max: he reluctantly nodded…
“Yeah, I guess that’s true. No matter how much they loved us and no matter how hard we tried, there was something missing.”
He looked at her…
“But that was because we didn’t know the truth or anything about our heritage. Once we understood that, we fit.”

Caleen: she appraised him with a critical eye…
“Did you? Do you? What about here? Do you fit in here?”

Max: “I…yes, of course!”
He was lying and he knew it: she knew it too.

Caleen: “Really? You have done an incredible job of blending into our world, but do you truly feel that you belong here, not just in the palace and as king, but on Antar?”

Max: he shook his head in defeat…
“No. Not really. I’m still the odd man out.”

Caleen: “And you are half human, how do you think a full Antarian would feel without even a genetic link to his adoptive world?”

Max: something she just said was important and not to just the discussion at hand: he could feel it, but what….
“Lord Tobias told us that we were made half human to be better able to fit in on Earth. Is that what you are telling me?”
But he knew that wasn’t totally true: Tobais was on Earth, even considering marriage to Kathy, a human: why wasn’t Tobais feeling lost with no genetic link to his home world: and what about Renular and Vintar and all the other smaller worlds and satellite worlds that they’ve since terra farmed: did one really have a genetic link to their home world, he didn’t totally think so: yet, he couldn’t dismiss the argument out of hand: he had felt the odd man out all of his life.

Caleen: she could almost see the wheels in his mind turning as he thought it over…
“There are many reasons for doing something, that was one.”
She took a breath…
“In time, perhaps one day we will be with Earth as we are with Renular and such arrangements would be most common place.”

Max: he wondered what exactly she meant: was she still talking about adoptions or something else, but what: Earth the same as Renular, what the hell did that mean, that we’re as close: but Antar colonized Renular centuries ago and that’s where the close ties come from, same as Vintar: is she suggesting that Antar colonize Earth: but that’s not possible: Earth couldn’t support such a population infusion…
“Yes…perhaps.”
He felt very uneasy and wished to hell he knew what exactly she meant.

Caleen: she could tell he wasn’t exactly sure of her meaning but he would be in time…
“Change takes time, Your Majesty. Everything is so new in our relationship. Give it some time and things will work out as they should.”

Max: he nodded for lack of a better thing to do: he’d heard similar from Larek: impatience had been his downfall before: perhaps it was best to work on it some this time around, he might not get a third chance: he glanced over at the window he had been staring at earlier…
“Can you answer me something else?”

Caleen: “Of course.”

Max: “Why is Brother Twill in my garden with my aunt?”

Caleen: “Because he wanted to be.”

Max: he was beginning to think that he was being purposefully plagued with Brother Twill and it was quite obvious that he was only going to get the answers that the Order of Ruan wanted him to have and that was just not good enough anymore…
“Yes, of course. Thank you for your time, Your Eminence.”
He waited for her to leave before summoning his helper: of course since he hadn’t said it was an emergency, his helper took his own sweet time in arriving…
“Kyle.”

Kyle: he made a mock bow, one that always goaded the staff but screw ‘em…
“You rang, Kimosabi?”

Max: he shook his head: some things never changed, thank God…
“Yeah, come over here.”
He rose and walked to the window with Kyle following right behind him…
“See him?”

Kyle: “The old guy with Aunt Trudy? A priest, right?”

Max: ”Yeah, him. His name is Brother Twill and I want to know who he is and why he’s always around me. There’s something else going on around here and with the Order of Ruan in general, and if they won’t answer my questions directly, then I’ll need to get my answers some other way. And he looks like a good place to start.”

Kyle: he watched the old man for a moment: he seemed rather harmless but then so did Aunt Trudy at first glance…
“M’kay. Anything in particular?”

“No, not really, just…well, you’ll know it when you find it.”

Kyle: he studied the old man for a moment longer: he supposed he could start with a search of public records: find out where this Brother Twill was from, any marriages, education, etc: and it probably wouldn’t hurt to chat with Aunt Trudy about him and see what her thoughts are about him…
“I’ll let you know.”

Max: he felt better having someone he knew doing this: Kyle had really taken to his criminal investigation classes at school: he had a natural instinct…
“Thanks. Oh, when do you and Tess leave for Vintar?”

Kyle: “Next week. We’ll be gone for almost three weeks with travel time.”

Max: he smirked…
“Meeting the old in-laws is always fun.”

Kyle: he deadpanned…
“Oh. Joy.”

Max: he chuckled and slapped Kyle on the back…
“See what you can find out before you leave, ‘kay?”

Kyle: he saluted…
“Will do.”

Setting: Relief center, outskirts of Antaria, later that same day

Maria: she was having a hard time not breaking down and crying: there were just so many of them: and so many children: why did there have to be so many children…
“Oh, Lizzy.”

Liz: she could not, not look at the endless lines of people: they were lined up for everything: for food, clothing, the bathrooms, medical checks, even to get in: that peaked her curiosity…
“Priestess Myn, why are they lining up at the gate to enter? I thought Ruan was open for all?”

Myn: she scowled for a moment as she glanced to where Her Majesty was pointing…
“Ruan is but the government isn’t. At least their aide isn’t. That is why it must be done outside the gate proper. Ruan doesn’t own nor control what happens outside our gate, only once they are in. It is hard to watch for all of us. But if we do not comply, then potentially all funding may be cut and too many need our help to take that chance.”

Liz: she was aghast…
“His Majesty would never cut aide to those in need.”

Myn: “That may be true, Your Majesty, but others might.”
She snapped and then sighed and bowed her head: she’d worked a lifetime helping those in need and she had seen too many travesties of justice happen even when good people were there to help: sometimes she forgot herself and let her anger and frustration take over…
“Forgive me, Your Majesty. You and your husband, the king, have been most generous and have helped greatly in arranging help for those in need, both on Antar and on Earth and elsewhere. We are most grateful.”

Liz: now she shook her head…
“No, you’re right. Not everything is within our control but we will do everything we can.”
Her eyes swept again at the long line of children waiting to get in: some were with their mothers or fathers, but many, too many, were by themselves: she grabbed Maria’s hand for support as they walked along: anything had to be better than this, she thought…
“You were saying that there were some healers just arrived from Renular? I would like to meet them and see what efforts they are working on.”

Myn: “Of course, Your Majesty. Right this way.”

Baxnor: he held Ambrea’s hand tight as he strained from his place in line to see Her Majesty: he thought he made out a young woman with dark hair and another one with blonde hair but he didn’t know which one was which: he thought the dark haired one was the queen but he wasn’t sure and he had no idea who the other one was either: he moved forward a few steps as the next one was finally done and entered the relief center: he’d seen quite a few turned away and he wasn’t sure why: he thought Ruan took everyone: on his last visit to his House, he’d been told to come here for additional help: that the Houses were all pitching in to help those left orphaned through these centers and go there until summoned for the final disposition of his appeal: he wasn’t entirely sure he understood: Tafnar was his House and he and Ambrea were orphans and had petitioned for their help, what was there to decide: he assumed it was to see what distant relative had room for them in their home but they’d never exactly told him what the delay was: he glanced down at his little cousin: she still coughed occasionally but nothing like before and she was up and around a little bit, wanting to walk some, which he was glad for since carrying her around all the time was tiring…
“We’re next.”
He stepped up to the desk and looked around at all the guards: it seemed odd to have guards in front of a relief center run by Ruan…
“Um, I was told to come here. I am Baxnor or Tafnar House and this is my cousin Ambrea, also of Tafnar House. Our…our parents are dead.”
His throat felt constricted as he said that last part: he watched as the man ran their names through the system, took both his and Ambrea’s palm prints and then waited for a moment while the computer did its thing: he was amazed that the man doing all of this never looked up at him, never even tried to look him in the eyes: his father had always said that if they couldn’t look you in the eyes, then you should be doing business with them: he didn’t like that thought at the moment: the screen beeped and two tags spit out: he stuck his wrist out while the band was snapped around it and then held Ambrea’s as the same was done: he was told that while here, he would continue to be responsible for Ambrea, that there were baths, and clothing and food and beds to sleep in: that if they left for any reason whatsoever that they’d have to be reprocessed before reentering and to think long and hard before leaving the center: he never did look at them: they then entered and were immediately ushered into another line for a quick medical check: it would be the first of many such lines.

Sometime there are no easy answers, not even for the Fates.
TaffyCat
Addicted Roswellian

Post by TaffyCat »

Part 17

Setting:
Byral House, later that same night

Michael: he fought not to cringe as he entered the room: it was never a good sign when Maria had her arms crossed with her foot tapping away.

Maria: she watched him as he silently entered and began to undress…
“Long day at the office, dear?”

Michael: he grunted…
“Yeah.”

Maria: “Um, so, dear, tell me again how the Houses are taking care of their own?”

Michael: he had no doubt this was not going to be good…
“The ones that can afford it are taking care of theirs directly. The ones that can’t, we are funneling additional funds through Ruan to help.”

Maria: “Um, yes. And after having spent a very long time with Riana learning the books, I happen to know that Byral House is one of the wealthiest after the Royal House. So explain to me why there were THREE ORPHANS THERE THAT BELONGED TO BYRAL HOUSE!”

Michael: he took a step back as if someone had punched him in the stomach…
“Wh…what?!”

Maria: “You heard me. Three of them.”

Michael: he had to do something, take action…
“I’ll send for them right now.”

Maria: her stance softened some: she’d figured all along that Michael didn’t know or he would have done something already, but she’d been so shocked and horrified when she’d discovered it…
“Don’t worry. Like I’d let them stay there. I brought them here and talked to Riana. She didn’t know either since the kids had never made any petition for help. She sent them to a cousin’s house. They have kids around the same age and thought it’d be a good fit. But Michael, that was just one center, how many more are there are at other ones? If you didn’t know, what about other Houses, how many of theirs are there in the same situation?”

Michael: he scowled: he hadn’t thought of that: he’d been very certain to ask Riana about any petitions, there were none, but he hadn’t thought past that…
“We have to fix it.”

Maria: she nodded and rose from her side of the bed…
“And in the meantime, Liz, Isabel, Tess, Riana and I are going to meet tonight to see if there is someway we could help all of them further. Ruan is doing okay with the basics, medical, food, housing, schooling, but they don’t have anything extra. We want to give them the extra.”

Michael: he nodded and gave her a kiss as she left the room to head over to, he assumed, the palace for this meeting, but his mind was elsewhere: he slipped off his formal tunic and trousers and donned Levi’s and a Metallica t-shirt and headed over there himself for a game of pool.

Setting: Antarra Palace, immediately following

Michael: he heard, “your break, Dad,” as he entered the room and walked over to the humidor.

Max: he watched his best friend enter and walk over for a cigar, but he didn’t light it: he just stood there obviously lost in thought…
“Everything okay, Michael?”

Michael: he looked at his friend for a moment: they’d been on opposite sides on this adoption issue: he’d seen it as interference: as head of his House, it was his responsibility to take care of his House, his people, and he thought he’d had it all under control, only to be rocked to the core to find out he was wrong: was he wrong about the adoption thing too…
“Maria said there were three that belonged to Byral House at that center today.”

Max: he watched his friend for a moment before taking his turn at billards: he had of course been informed of all this earlier by Liz, who’d also checked the center’s record and was relieved to discover none of the Royal House there: she’d also instructed her aide to check all other centers and facilities to make sure there were none there as well, for both theirs and Byral House…
“I know. Liz is having all the facilities checked for both Royal and Byral House. Don’t worry, if there are any more, we’ll find them.”

Michael: “Except Ruan doesn’t keep personal records of who’s there, at least they didn’t until we pushed for the registration.”

Max: he didn’t have an answer for that…
“I guess it’s a good thing that the Chamber did push for that provision then. So we’ll know.”

Michael: “Yeah.”
He scowled again as he removed the unlit cigar from his lips, it was starting to get soggy: he waved his hand to dry it out and then lit it…
“What did the High Priestess say about Zan’s proposal?”

Max: “No deal. They won’t support it at this time.”

Michael: he nodded and then looked at Max’s dad: the only official human father of an Antarian, or more precisely half Antarian…
“Do you think it’s a bad idea too?”

Philip: “No. I think it’s a good idea and the provisions that Zan suggested, oversight by Ruan as well as CPS, Antarian heritage classes for both adoptors and adoptees, checks every six months by Ruan and CPS for the first threes years, a mandatory trip to Antar via Ruan for all adoptees at the appropriate age, and the like are good ones. But I also see that people here aren’t ready. And I admit that many on Earth probably aren’t either.”

Max: “So you agree with Caleen, it’s too soon?”

Philip: he shook his head in agreement…
“Yeah, I guess I do.”
He accidentally sunk the eight ball by mistake and lost: time for a new game.

Max: while Michael broke and took his turn, he brought up something else the priestess had said…
“Caleen also spoke about a time when Earth would be as close to Antar as Renular is. Do you think will ever happen?”

Philip: “Someday perhaps, but the distance would make it hard. Plus Renular really is just an ancient extension of Antar so I can’t see how they’d be the same.”

Michael: “Ten in the side pocket.”
He sunk the appropriate ball….
“Sure they could. All they’d have to do is settle Earth like they did Renular.”
He missed his next shot as what he just said sunk in.

Max: his stomach flinched as they all looked at each other…
“That can’t happen. I won’t let that happen.”

Philip: he thought of all the discussions he’d had with his son about Ruan: the ambiguity, the half answers, the hints of an ulterior motive, it did fit…
“What if you can’t?”

Max: he paced around the room…
“No. No, I can’t believe it. Why go to all this trouble? Why send us to Earth, have us made part human and raised there, only to want to invade it. Why do it?”

Michael: “So we’d know it better. Be better able to predict what Earth’s response is.”

Philip: he shook his head…
“No. That would be taking the chance that you’d bond with Earth, which you did, and be just as likely as to oppose the invasion, even work against it. Too much would be at stake for them to take that chance. Besides eventually Kivar would do it for them. If anything they worked against it by recreating you and sending you to Earth. The hope of your eventual return helped keep the rebellion alive and kept Kivar occupied here.”
He shook his head again: no wonder his son was having such a difficult time dealing with them: another thought occurred to him…
“But there is another way to invade a place and America would be a prime example of it. Immigration.”

Michael: “Wait. You mean like Ellis Island type of thing?”

Philip: he nodded affirmative…
“Exactly. It fits. They’d made sure their leaders would know the lay of the land and could navigate the complexities of the societies. Plus you would hopefully be advocates for how wonderful Earth is. It would then make perfect sense for you to be sent to Earth to be reborn.”

Michael: “But we’d still be part human and want to protect it. Even through immigration, we’d be likely to oppose that type of invasion.”

“No, we wouldn’t. We aren’t. Remember, I announced free and open trade and travel. I’m modeling much of what I want to do on what I know, America. There is nothing to stop our people from migrating there. And Earth is so curious and anxious to see what all Antar has to offer that they are welcoming all with open arms. But the exchange is mutual with just as many humans arriving here and on the other worlds. America has always been a melting pot. It’s how it was born, through immigrants. They might eventually limit the inflow, but they won’t cut it off completely.”
He looked at his dad…
“I think you may be right.”

Michael: “Okay, say this is true. What I don’t get is why? Why do they want to immigrate so badly?”

Max: something Brother Twill said snapped into place…
“Because we’re doomed.”

Michael: “WHAT?!”

Max: “I dreamed it and then when I asked Brother Twill, he confirmed it.”

Philip: “Doomed how?”

Max: “I don’t know.”

Michael: “Maxwell, I’d say you’d better find out pretty damn quick so we can stop it.”

“That’s just it. I don’t think we can.”

Michael: “Nah, Maxwell. I won’t buy that. I refuse to buy that.”
He looked around and realized that they were missing a few of the normal crowd…
“Where’re Kyle and Alex?”

Max: “Kyle is looking into a few things for me and he asked Alex for some help.”

Setting: Public Records Building, same time.

Alex: he’d gotten an urgent message from Kyle and told to come immediately here and to bring his translator for printed material…
“Okay, you want me to do what again?”

Kyle: he hadn’t trusted his Antarian enough to translate it correctly: actually that wasn’t true, he couldn’t believe what he was reading and wanted someone else that he trusted to do it for him…
“Translate these records to English. And all of these articles as well. I need an electronic copy.”

Alex: he set up his gear and pulled out his scanning wand and began…
“Why are we doing this again?”

Kyle: “His Royalness asked and for once, I’m glad he did. Check it out, Alex.”

Alex: he began reading the scanned and translated version…
“Holy shit!”

Kyle: “Exactly.”
He watched him for a moment…
“You gonna be long?”

Alex: it was hard for him to tear his eyes away from what he was reading and look over at the stack of records and articles…
“Could be a couple of hours, maybe.”

Kyle: he thought for a moment and decided he had enough time…
“Okay, I’ll be back shortly. I have an aunt to go talk to.”

Setting: Immediately following, palace atrium.

Kyle: He found her sitting in the palace atrium watching the stars in the night sky…
“Aunt Trudy?”

Trudy: she smiled…
“Kyle, nice to see you. What brings you by?”

Kyle: he took a seat next to her…
“I wanted to talk to you about something… someone, actually.”

Trudy: she quirked an eyebrow at him…
“Want me to give up my secrets, eh?”

Kyle: he grinned at her for a moment then recalled what he’d found and his grin vanished: Max had been right: Brother Twill was more than he seemed, a lot more: he came right to the point…
“What can you tell me about Brother Twill?”

Trudy: she took a sip of her tea that was generously spice with her remaining rum: she was going to miss it when she ran out…
“He knows nothing of rose bushes.”

Kyle: “No, Aunt Trudy, this is important. It’s for Max. Something’s going on and I think you might have some idea about it. I need to know. Max needs to know. Please, Aunt Trudy.”

Trudy: she sighed: she’d struggled with this for days: for the first time she hadn’t been sure what to do with it: her and Brother Twill had gone rounds about it: he’d been so surprised when she’d confronted him with her insights: he’d had no idea she’d picked up on it, and when he realized that he couldn’t order her into remaining silent, he’d begged her and finally explained: she’d agreed to a point and she would keep her promise, but that didn’t mean she couldn’t point Kyle in the right direction…
“In addition to being poor at rose gardening, he insists on telling ancient tales of how Antar came to be. For instance, did you know that Antarians didn’t evolve on Antar? They were originally a colony from another planet centuries ago. I believe you can find this ancient story at the library. I suggest you look there to start.”

Kyle: “Stories? Aunt Trudy, I need facts not ancient stories.”

Trudy: “You’re wrong, Kyle. It’s all about ancient stories.”
She could tell that he wasn’t convinced…
“What is it that they say, ‘Those that don’t know history are bound to repeat it’.”
She turned serious…
“If Max isn’t careful, it’ll be repeated.”

Kyle: he thought about it: he knew Aunt Trudy wouldn’t play games with him unless there was reason…
“He asked you not to tell us didn’t he?”

Trudy: she smirked a little…
“Actually he demanded and you can imagine how well that went over.”

Kyle: “But you agreed.”

Trudy: “Eventually… but only after he explained his reasons, which I still don’t totally agree with but I’m not sure if they’re wrong.”
She looked at him sternly…
“I will tell you this. They believe that the only way for Max to truly understand is to find out on his own.”

Kyle: “Are you telling me not to tell him what I find?”

Trudy: she straightened her back and sipped her tea…
“I said no such thing. If Max has asked you to research something then obviously he is looking for answers on his own and I see no problem with that.”
She sipped her tea again and gazed up at the stars…
“They haven’t lied to him. He’s just thinking too much in the abstract. He needs to think more literal.”

Isabel: they were in one of the numerous sitting rooms brainstorming…
“I don’t think another bill will go through unless there’s something new and right now, there isn’t, unfortunately.”

Riana: “I agree. And the Earth adoption angle won’t work. Even if they acknowledged that some did slip through the cracks, their response is going to be that Earth should take care of its own before accusing them of falling down on the job here, which in their eyes is exactly what they’re doing. We need something new. A new angle.”

Maria: she stretched her back…
“Too bad we can’t have one of those ‘Live Aide’ things like they did back in the eighties for famine and farming relief.”

Tess: “So why couldn’t we?”

Riana: she was totally lost.

Isabel: “Actually that’s not a bad idea.”

Maria: she was shocked: she hadn’t really meant it: it was just a flippant remark…
“You’re serious?”

Riana: “I’m sorry but what is ‘Live Aide?’”

Isabel: “A concert for charity.”
She rose and began to pace as the idea took hold and began to blossom…
“A cultural exchange of music between all of the worlds with the proceeds to help the war needy. It’s perfect!”

Riana: she had asked for a new angle…
“So where would this ‘Live Aide’ be held? And who would make all of the arrangements?”

Maria: “And on what planet?”

Isabel: “Here. It should be here.”

Maria: “Anyone know of a large stadium we could use?”

Riana: “Well, there’s a large game arena in the Cowin Desert.”

Isabel: “No. That’s too far away from everything. It needs to be where the action is.”

Liz: “What about the Royal Gardens?”

Tess: “Um, but that’s also our backyard. Do we really want to have it in out backyard? I know Kyle would have a fit over the security issues.”

Isabel: “Hmm, she does have a point.”

Maria: “Yes, but it would also show how important this concert for relief is to Byral and the Royal Houses.”

Riana: she smiled: Maria was coming along nicely.

Tess: “So how are going to do this?”

Liz: “Anyone got Bob Geldof’s number?”

Setting: Public Records, a short time later

Kyle: he carried in a bunch more books for Alex to scan and translate, and grumbled under the weight of them…
“Take them literally, yet look up a bunch of myths and fairytales. Yep, perfect sense. No irony there, Aunt Trudy. Nuh…umph, none whatsoever.”
He plopped them on the table next to Alex…
“Well?”

Alex: he stared at the printout he’d made as he reread it for the tenth time…
“I don’t believe it, that little old man was…”

Kyle: “Exactly. Now, at Aunt Trudy’s suggestion I have liberated these books on ancient myths and legends from the main library. We need to start translating these next.”

Alex: “Isn’t the library closed?”

Kyle: he smirked.

Alex: “Right. So what exactly are we looking for in these books?”

Kyle: “Aunt Trudy said something about Antar being colonized long ago. It’s either that or anything to do with rose bushes.”

Alex: he cocked an eyebrow at him…
“You need to stop spending time with Aunt Trudy.”

Kyle: he smirked until he picked up the printout of the translated newspaper article that Alex had been reading: so his Antarian wasn’t as bad as he thought: damn: he laid the printout down with the others and got to work.

Article headline:
“In our greatest hour of need with our beloved King Zan and Queen Ava lying slain, we beseech the former High Priest Twill to reclaim his earlier title as General of High Command and lead us to reclaim our freedom.”

While it would be easier if everything were black and white, the Fates know that most things in life are various shades of gray.
Last edited by TaffyCat on Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
TaffyCat
Addicted Roswellian

Post by TaffyCat »

Since I'm starting to get emails on this I thought I should drop off another note.

I am alive. I am well. I have not forgotten my stories or those wonderful persons that read them. I just have no life whatsoever.

I am a sales person and right now my life revolves around work, and work, and work, and...oh yeah, work. It's great on padding the pocketbook but leaves very little time for enjoying it. Even though I can't afford it timewise, for the first time this year, Hubby and I am taking a long weekend and going out of town (I have tickets to see the King Tut Exhibit in LA and 2-day Disneyland passes). And then, back to work.

And for those mentioning it, no, I don't come here all that often anymore. Just no time. So if I haven't responded to your pm's, it's because I'm not picking them up quickly. But I do get them. And yes, I do read them, as I do your emails.

I am hoping that things will slow down around the holidays so that I have some free time to write for pleasure, though that may be wishful thinking on my part.

Sorry for being so neglectful. It certainly wasn't intentional. I will do all that I can to get these stories finished. I just can't promise when.

Taffy