Returning Normal (CC,M/L,M/M,I/K,TEEN) CH 11 pt 3 9/30 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

chunkmonster2
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Returning Normal (CC, M/L M/M I/K, TEEN) CH 4 pt 4 (16NOV09)

Post by chunkmonster2 »

Chapter Four, pt 4

======================================================================================

Streets of Roswell - Unknown

Max had continued on his journey to nowhere only he was even more numb then before. In a state like this he realized he would not get anything accomplished and again wondered what he was looking to accomplish anyway. Max not being in the crashdown that day must have altered the outcome of what happened there. Since Max didn't save

Liz in the Crashdown the feds didn't seem to be on them and Liz continued with a normal life. The difference was that Max life had turned out for the worse and Michael and Isabel had no idea but they were in certain danger. Max was sure there was no way Tess' intentions were good and she had obviously convinced even Isabel to leave earth; which was really strange because Isabel loved it there.

Max finally made it back to his jeep. He hoped in and was about to start the jeep when he heard the old but familiar ring of his cell phone. Max reached into his pocket and pulled the cell phone out. Pressing the talk button he placed it to his ear.

"Hello." Max answered into the phone.

"Max, Max..... It's Liz I need to talk to you..." a frantic voice replied on the other end of the phone.

"What is it Liz?" Max questioned curious about why she would call him only a short time after what had just happened.

"I'm sorry to call you like this," she continued, "I called your house and your mother gave me your number. Something happened, something is wrong. I don't really know how to explain it but I had this memory.... well more like deja vu. What were you doing on my deck tonight?"

Max didn't know what to say. He didn't really want to think about it anymore and there really was no logical reason for him being there in the first place.

"I heard something, I thought you were in trouble" Max replied.

"Max you've been there before haven't you? I mean, Um, like this has happened before... or something. I know it sounds crazy but when I looked out and saw you it was

familiar which is ridiculous because you have never been there before. It was more then deja vu it was like I had this whole other memory of you... the look in your eyes... something... I can't" Liz seemed to be searching for words to describe her feelings but she couldn't find the right words.

Something must have triggered her memory. Something about the near same thing happening in this time must have caused her to have some sort of flash from the other timeline.

"Liz, where are you now? Where is Kyle?" Max really didn't want to ask the latter question but it was important to know if he was still there.

"I am at home, I asked Kyle to leave I told him I wasn't feeling well. Does this have to do with what you were talking about earlier Max? Is this connected?"

"Liz, just listen to me... I need to meet with you and I might be able to explain it." Max paused a moment and looked around. It had become increasingly darker out already. "Can you meet me in an hour?"

"Yes." Liz did not hesitate with her answer.

"Meet me at the school, near the music room. If the school is locked up and you can't get in just wait outside" Max figured taking her there and trying to jog her memory of their first discusion may work in brining her back around. First he wanted to find Michael and Isabel and make sure they were safe so that he could get through to them next.

Max opened his phone and dialed Isabel's number.

"Iz, get Michael and meet me at home in fifteen minutes."

======================================================================================

Evans Household - Unknown

Max quickly made his way up the walkway and into the house. Neither of his parent's vehicles were parked outside so it would be safe for them to talk there. After entering the house Max shouted out for his sister and best friend.

"Isabel, Michael where are you?"

A reply came from within the living room to inform him they were in there. Max took his coat off and chucked it over the back of one of the dining room chairs. Max made his way into the living room to find Michael and Isabel sitting uncomfortably close and holding hands.

"What are you guys doing?"

Isabel was the first to chime in, "I told you he was acting weird. There is something wrong with him."

Michael looked at Max and simply nodded.

Max shook his head at the whole situation. What had happened to change everyone so much? Max needed answers, "What the hell has happened within the last year?"

Isabel rolled her eyes before speaking, "Max we don't have time for whatever game this is your about to play. You know what had happened, you know the plan..."

Max cut her off before she could finish, "No Isabel, I don't know what happened. Let's say I woke up this morning and I don't remember anything since well over a year ago. Maybe if you would fill in the blanks here. Why do you even want to leave earth? I mean with Michael I get it, but you? You were always so content being here.... in this life."

"That's all changed Max.." Isabel shot back at him.

"But why? What changed in you? What changed in us?" Max pleaded with either of them to answer the question.

Michael finally took the opportunity to step up, "We were awoken for who we actually were Max. Tess and Nacedo came and we learned who we were, who we are suppose to be. Unlike you me and Isabel didn't relish on our responsibilities. We are together and ready to reclaim Antar just the same as you should be. Instead you have done nothing but act like nothing can touch you cause your the all mighty King of Antar, but really I think your just a boy who is afraid."

Max couldn't believe what he was seeing or hearing. Isabel and Michael were together? This had to be Tess's doing, she must have mind-warped them and confused them into thinking this was all they were to get them to leave the planet.

"Michael you have to listen to me, Tess is not who she seems. She has done something to you... well to us and she is using us" Max tried to explain the situation.

"Let me guess, she mind-warped us..." Michael replied using air-quotes as though he was playing off the situation. It was followed by a smirk from Isabel who was sitting next to him on the couch. Michael stood from his seat after speaking to be at an eye level with Max.

"Yes..." Max stated simply.

"Yeah she said you would say that. Maxwell we are done here," Michael reached a hand down to Isabel to help her up from her seat, "We are tired of your games and lack of responsibilities. We are leaving you behind. You obviously want to stay here and live this life when there is something better out there. Me and Isabel would gladly take your spot on that thrown anyday" Michael looked back at Isabel and smiled. The began to make their way from the living room.

"Wait," Max pleaded with them. "It's a trap. She has made a deal with Kivar and she will sacrifice you for her safety back there."

"Enough of your conspiracy theories Max..." Isabel spoke nearly inaudible as they exited the room. "And by the way, Tess saw you in the eraser room earlier with Liz Parker. She seems to have actually had enough of your games, she was especially not happy about this one. That girl better watch her back."

Max quickly followed Michael and Isabel into the small hallway near the front door. "What does that mean? Where is Tess?" Max questioned them. They both just shrugged their shoulders and continued on together.

"Liz..." Max said aloud as he grabbed his jacket from the chair. Max swung open the door and ran down the walkway to the jeep.

Roswell High - Unknown

Upon pulling into the parking lot of the high school Max jammed the jeep into park, causing it to come to a dead stop. He wasted no time hoping from the jeep and making his way toward the school. Max reached the entrance closest to the music room to find the door already opened. This most likely wasn't a good sign since he figured that the school should have been locked up by then. Max never hesitated one step as he made his way as quickly as he possibly could to the music room. Max slammed open the door. Quickly he began glancing about the room expecting to see Liz's face, but it seemed as though no one was there. Max now slowly made his way into the dark room still glancing about looking for Liz.

As Max's eyes adjusted to the darkness of the room something caught his attention near the far wall. The reason he hadn't seen it upon first scan was because he had been looking eye level and what he saw was in a heap on the ground near the wall. From a distance it looked much like a body but Max couldn't be sure until he got closer. He quickly made his way in the direction and as he got closer it became more and more apparent thats exactly what it was.

It took Max nearly getting right ontop of the body before his worst fear was realized when he saw Liz's familiar face. Max bent down next to her body and quickly lifted her gently in his arms. He placed his hand on her chest and focused his energy on healing her. Nothing happened.

"Come on Liz.." he said concentrating harder on her, focusing all his energy into her.

Nothing still.

Max reached for her arm and pushed his index and middle finger against the inside of her wrist. There was no pulse.

Max eyes immediately welled with tears that soon flowed down his cheeks. He held pulled Liz's body close to him. Max cried her name between tears and gasps for hair as he held onto her as though he would never let go.

"I'm so sorry Liz, I'm so sorry." he repeated closing his eyes as they began to burn from the emotions that was spilling from them freely.

"It's too late for that." a voice stated with the face still masked from the dark.

Max looked up at the shadowy figure as it made it's way toward him. Light from the street lights spilled in through long thin windows and eventually caught the face of the person speaking.

Larek.

"You did this." Max said looking up at the familiar face which had seemingly caused this whole debockle

"No Max, You did this. This is what you wanted this is the reality you created. I had nothing to do with this, you wondered what it would have been like to have never met her and now you know. This is on nobody but yourself." Larek shot back at Max with a smirk across his face. Max gently lay Liz's body against the floor on which it was found. He quickly clambered to his feet and outreached a hand in Larek's direction.

"A-ah" Larek held the small device in which had been like defused their powers before, "There is no need in doing anything rash is this there. Look at yourself Max... Look and you will see it was you that did this."

Larek's hand pointed toward the wall next to Max. Max turned his attention toward the wall where he came face to face with a mirror. Still his reflection was blurred and extremely distorted. Max didn't understand.

Larek spoke again, "You will see"

Max heard another familiar voice from next to him, one he didn't expect.

"It's not always what it seems Max. When the time comes look past logic... she never told the truth"

Max turned his attention to come face to face with Alex. Max was no entirely confused with the whole situation. Before he had time to speak Alex reached a hand outward and touched Max on the shoulder.

Max and Liz's Apartment - November 25th, 2009 2:23am

Max eyes shot open. It was only for a few seconds but his abrupt waking from his sleep had left him still in the paralysis stage of sleep. He pushed upward with all his strength but his body did not move. The paralysis quickly wore off and with one quick movement Max body shot to life sitting upward in bed as he made one loud gasp for air. His body felt warm and covered in sweat.

A dream?

Max reached for his phone on the night stand and dialed Isabel's cell number.

"Hello" a extremely groggy voice answered from the other end of the line.

"Isabel what day is today?" Max questioned her.

"Ah..." her voice paused a moment, "The twenty-fifth I think... What is wrong Max?"

Max jumped up from his bed and began walking down the hallway of his apartment. "I'm not sure Iz..." Max wasn't completely certain yet what was happening, had it all been a dream?

Max kept his sister on the line as he made his was first to the bathroom. He swung the door open and flicked the light with one quick movement. There was no one in there only his face starring back at him from the mirror. He continued by checking the living room, kitchen and eventually the door to the apartment which was still latched.

"Max, Max?" she questioned from the other side of the line since he had been silent for a long time, "What is wrong Max?"

Max glanced about the apartment one last time before answering his sister, "It was nothing I guess... It was a bad dream.."

Isabel tiredly asked one last question, "Do you want me to come over?"

"No it's alright... It's all alright" Max assured her as he ended their phone conversation.

This whole situation had been eating away at Max and obviously he had been thinking far too much about it before sleeping. Max didn't bother heading back to his room to try and catch more sleep... he was wide awake and didn't think he would ever want to sleep again. He stood there in silence before making his way to the living room to find something to occupy his time until the sun came up.

Author's Note: DO NOT READ THIS UNTIL YOU HAVE READ THE POST *SPOILER*

Okay... I am putting this at the bottom so you don't read it until you have read the post. Make sure to read that first then come here....

Basically this chapter I wanted to explore what Max's mind would dredge up if him and Liz were to never meet. So I figured a dream sequence chapter would be a good way to do it... and it would take people along for a ride.... hope ya'll don't hate me too much :)

I guess it was more of a nightmare then anything, because what I wanted to see what Max loss all what he loved and it pretty much happened. All his worst dreams came true pretty much. A lot of his fears and what not.

I tried to drop some subtle hints to the fact it was a dream... such as... you never really seen anything from anyone else's point of view... You heard what they said but never read what they were feeling because it was all Max's point of view.

Secondly there were odd things about the scenes... sometimes places would be deserted or in an odd state which is allowable by the fact it is a dream and we all know dreams can get wonky.

Finally the main hints were to do with time and his appearance. It is generally accepted that when you dream you can't keep track of time at all... so things seem to go by faster or slower then you expect..... that is one way of telling you are dreaming. In the posts Max couldn't keep track of time... it seemed to keep skipping forward and he even lost track of time once or twice. This was eluding to the fact he was dreaming.

Another hint was his appearance. It is also said that when your in a dreamworld that your appearance is always normally skewed or frightening... thats why his appearance was blurry and distorted... If you go back to the first post it shows that when he wakes up before what happens with Larek in the living room his is in the bathroom and his appearance is blurred which he believes is due to just waking... but really it is because he is already dreaming.... and then skip forward to this post when he enters the bathroom checkin the apartment for anything suspicious his appearance is back again to normal.

So I know the hints were kind of hard to pick up on... unless maybe you took a course on dreams or have researched them a little but it was all in good fun. I hope you guys didnt mind the wild ride... I originally wanted a cliffhanger between posts to be Max finding Liz dead but I thought I might get blasted via internet lol... What did you think of overall? Like it? Hate It? Whatever? Lemme know...

Back to the actual timeline next chapter.. I promise.. Thanks for following and as always post any comments, questions, suggestions!!

DO NOT READ UNTIL YOU HAVE READ THE ABOVE POST. *SPOILER*
Author's Page
"you come crash.... into me. yeah, baby. and i come into you."
"and how can i stand here by you, and not be moved by you?"
My Fics Below:
Returning Normal | Already Gone
chunkmonster2
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Returning Normal (CC, M/L M/M I/K, TEEN) CH 5 pt 1 (18NOV09)

Post by chunkmonster2 »

Author's Note: Character Development Time!
As usual make sure to comment. I love comments and the feedback helps me when I am writing! :)
For those of you who are Kyle, Maria and Michael fans... now that I have the basis down for the storyline (alot of what had to do with Max and Liz) there will be more of these characters and their lives worked in...

Isabel's main plottage isn't coming just yet but it will be in the future...

And it is also time to develop a couple characters which I feel deserved more developing! Um.... yeah... I guess that's it.... so here it is.... Remember

like it, love it, hate it, whatever...... JUST COMMENT:)

Chapter 5, pt 1 - Welcome to Earth Third Rock from the Sun

Just Us Cafe - December 18th 2009 12:06pm

"So what's your story anyway?" The cafe was practically empty save for Kyle, so he figured that Serena would have time to chat. Kyle had been curious about her for a while now. Ever since Liz left the groups connection with her had kind of died down. Kyle had only met her a couple times but she seemed like a nice girl and it really was a shame that she was here alone in this small town with virtually no friends.

"What do you mean by that?" Serena looked up from filling the ketchup to make eye contact with Kyle.

"I was just wondering how you came about being in this small town. You said you weren't originally from here before..." Kyle give additional information on exactly what he was asking her about. He clasped his hands together in front of him and smiled in her direction. Maybe the real reason Kyle was interested in finding out more about her wasn't sure simply for the fact that he felt bad for her and more of the fact he was attracted to her.

Normally Serena would have taken this as a compliment; someone wanting to get to know her that is. In light of everything that happened with Liz last month she couldn't help but think this was some sort of recon from the group of them trying to dig up more on her history. She just couldn't understand what they were so afraid of her for? Were they really that perfect that they had to know every detail of someones life before allowing them into "their group".

"I don't know as there is really more to say..." she said shrugging her shoulders as she placed the ketchup back on the tray the belonged. Serena eyes darted back and forth between where she was setting the bottles and back to Kyle's face. "I mean, nothing more then was in my file. I am sure Liz shared every detail with you so maybe you should just cut to the chase and ask me exactly what detail of my past it is your interested in?" So she went a bit off on him. It should be expected after she had her privacy invaded.

Kyle was taken back by what she had to say. His brow furrowed and his head jutted backward as his stare locked on Serena. "File? Liz? What are you talking about?" Kyle knew something had happened with Liz and Serena... some how her and Maria had went poking around to find out about her, but details was something he hardly got from the situation. "I think you lost me there." Kyle stated.

Serena finished placing the bottles away and made her way back to her usual spot near the cash behind the counter. Kyle was still sitting conveniently in front of her.

Serena placed a hand on the counter and locked her gaze with his as well. She was generally good at reading people, but she had been wrong about Liz. There was something in Kyle's expression, something in his eyes that seemed to be sincere. Was it possible that Liz hadn't shared the details with her friends? And if she hadn't shared them then what was the point in her going nosing around like that.

Serena squared and eye still trying to figure the situation. She tilted her head slightly to the side and remained silent for a minute. "Well what if I told you I wanted to know your story first?" She answered his question with a question.

"I asked first." Kyle smirked, using children's logic to reason why she would have to tell first.

"Don't play games... you already know. Just say it and get it out in the open." Serena said huffing after she finished the sentence. She wanted to test and see if he really knew anything.

"I have no idea what your talking about. Liz never told me anything about this file or whatever your talking about...." Kyle trailed off still trying to convince her of his innocence in the matter.

Serena simply shrugged her shoulders and began making her way over to some glasses that needed to be put away.

"Fine, if it will help you trust me I will go first..." Kyle offered. Obviously he couldn't tell her the whole truth, that was very against the groups policy. He wouldn't do it just for general safety even if it wasn't against their policy. There was no need in lying about the other aspects though were there. As a general rule they were never much for talking about their pasts with new people, but what could it hurt in this situation.

"Well you know my name is Duke...." Kyle started. Maybe Isabel was right, the more and more he used that name the more he realized how ridiculous it was. It was too late to change it now, "Um... Well I grew up in Roswell, New Mexico. I graduated high school there with the others. We were a tight group of friends. After high school we all kinda decided to take a journey around the country and see what there was to see. Here we are today!" he said finishing with holding his hands up in front of him.

Serena was silent for a minute while she unstacked the glasses from the dish washing tray, "I knew you had a funny accent" she turned her head slightly to make eye contact and offer a truce smirk in his direction.

Kyle chuckled, "I don't have an accent."

Serena up straighter as she finished stacking the glasses. She painted her face with a false serious look as she shook her head from side to side, "No of course not" she finished the sentence blatantly sarcastic.

Serena once again made her way back to the other end of the counter where Kyle set. She stopped herself directly in front of him again and leaned in a bit closer so they could talk. "So you have been just travelling around all these years? None of you wanted to continue with school, start a family, get a house?"

It was then that Kyle remembered why they didn't like to share the details of their past. They were so limited to what they could give for information it only ever opened up a whole new set of questions. Usually the questions were simple but not so easily answered. Of course they all had different dreams when they started out on this path together. For some of them it was school, others it was fame and for a couple of them it was simply a chance at a normal life. The only problem was if he answered the question truthfully then it would only lead to her wondering why they had never pursued their dreams.

Kyle took a deep breath before speaking, "Well you know it's just one of those things. We started out together on this journey. I don't think we really knew how far it was going to go or how deep it was going to take us. We always vowed to have each others backs and now after all these years we just can't part."

It was much more detailed then that but that's what it really was. They had all got involved in this secret back in high school and none of them really knew how it would affect their lives. Had they known how things would have turned out maybe they would have changed things long ago. The fact was it was still affecting them daily and really there was no way out of it, there was no going back.

Serena nodded as Kyle finished, "Well I am originally from Massachusetts. I graduated from high school back there in two thousand five. I was always an honours student and lived up to everyone's expectations. I was accepted into Harvard and went there to pursue my childhood dream...." Serena paused a moment because it was this point in her story that was always the hardest to tell. "It all was going well until I woke up one day and decided that maybe I didn't want to be this person everyone wanted me to be. My life had been so plotted, so stable... so... so"

"Reliable" Kyle offered a word to complete the sentence.

"Yes." she accepted it with a nod, it wasn't exactly the word but it worked. "I woke up and decided that maybe I wanted something that wasn't so painfully boring.

That's when I started partying as an outlet for something a little less normal. Fast forward a few months later and I had what I wished for, my life was anything but boring and normal. The school offered a program to me to try and get me back in the right direction. That's why I am here. I accepted the program and moved her to try and clean up my life." Serena chuckled as a though crossed her mind she had to share, "Now I am here and working at trying to get my life boring and normal again."

"I hear you there. Normal is something I would love to have in my life any day!" Kyle's eyes widened as images of everything he had seen and done flashed through his head. "I guess we have that in common." Kyle concluded. They all had it in common, it seemed she wasn't so different from them after all.

Serena couldn't remember the last time that telling her story felt so liberating. There was something about Kyle though. She could feel that he didn't judge her, she felt an understanding from him.

"Why don't you tell me this... Why is it all the nice guys are always taken?" she raised a brow to finish her question. Without thinking Kyle chimed in with a reply, "Well I am not taken!" Kyle had got wound enough up in their conversation that momentarily he had forgot about keeping with their charade, keeping with their cover story.

"Very Funny! I think your girlfriend would have something different to say.." she chuckled at his answer as she was sure he was joking. Obviously he wasn't trying to fool her because she had already met his girlfriend and was well aware of the fact that they were even serious enough to be living together.

"Right she would." he said with a playful wink, to try and play it off as he had been joking the whole time. Kyle was distracted by the clock behind Serena. He realized his break was nearly over and he had barely touched his food between their conversation. Kyle quickly stood from his stool and grabbed his sandwich and took one last bite before placing it back on the table.

"It was good talking to you Serena," Kyle managed to get out between chewing.

"Do you want this wrapped up to take along with you?" she grabbed the plate and pulled it toward her in case he did, that way she could quickly put it in a container for him to take along with him

Kyle shook his head to indicate no, "No thank you. I am good." he dropped a bill on the counter to pay for the meal, "Keep the change. Maybe I'll see you around though. If your ever interested in doing anything let us know. You don't have to be a stranger."

Serena simply nodded. She shot another warm smile back in his direction as he made his way to the door. Truth was Serena wasn't so sure the others would be as welcoming of her. Liz had been the only other one to really open up any before and that didn't last very long. As for the others they seemed to have little interest in getting to know her any amount other then acquaintances.

Kyle was refreshing, it was nice to have someone to talk to.

Liz's Bedroom - December 23rd, 2009

"Liz honey, you wanna come downstairs?" Nancy tapped lightly on the door before entering her daughters room.

Inside the bedroom Liz could be seen curled up in a ball on her bed. Her eyes were red from lack of sleep and her pillows were tear stained. Since she had come home she had good days and bad days it depended on how much she could occupy her mind. With it getting increasingly closer to Christmas she couldn't help but think more and more about Max. The holidays were a time to be with the ones you loved and Liz had spent the past ten years with Max at Christmas. It didn't seem right that this would be their first Christmas apart.

Nancy made her way into Liz's room and set on the bed behind her. She reached over and placed a hand on her daughters shoulder. Liz moved one of her hands up to meet her mothers and gripped tightly. The both stayed there in silence for a couple minutes before Nancy broke it by speaking, "Is there anything I can get you Liz?"

Liz let her grip go from her mother and rolled over to face her.

Nancy brushed the hair back away from Liz's face. Her daughters face was filled with pain, there was no denying that. Nancy and Jeff were both happy to have their only child back with them, especially around the holidays but it wasn't all happiness for them. To see her in this much pain really was difficult for them. It would have been selfish of them not to consider what it meant her being her - that she was away from her friends and her husband.

"I don't know what to do..." Liz said looking up at her mother as her eyes filled again with tears.

"I know honey. You will figure it out in time. You just need to give it time." Truthfully Nancy had no idea what to tell her. She still had a hard time gripping the whole situation. She was someone who grew up not even believing in simple things like ghosts or Santa Claus. To deal with the reality that other life forms existed was more then just a stretch for Nancy. She was still skeptical at best, but she put her trust in what her daughter said because Liz was an analytical girl and would not be someone to simply believe in something that didn't exist.

After another moment of silence Nancy thought she would offer her method for dealing with problems when they arose, "Maybe you should talk it out. Find someone to talk to and share with them every thought and feeling without limitation. It's what I do when I need to work through something."

Liz pushed herself up into a sitting position on the bed, "Where do I start?" Liz questioned her mother on the tactic.

Nancy hadn't expected her daughter to want to share with her. They had always had a healthy relationship but the truth was Liz had always had Maria in her life to share these kinds of things with and when she did need to deal with a parent Jeff had always been the parent of choice. Nancy felt honored that her daughter was to a point in her life now that she valued her mothers opinion.

"Well I have never heard the story, so why not start from the beginning." Nancy turned her body to face her daughter so she could give her full attention.

Liz shifted her blank stare at the wall to meet gaze with her mother. "He saved my life. I wouldn't even be here right now if it weren't for him. When he saved my life I saw how he felt about me.... how he always had felt about me"

"How he felt about you?" Nancy questioned curiously.

Liz pushed her lips together creating a slight smile, "He loved me. He had always loved me. I saw the way he seen me through his eyes."

"How did you feel about him? I mean, How do you feel about him?"

"I will always love him, he is the love of my life." she said without hesitation.

"Liz if you are staying here to make your father and I happy just know that we appreciate the gesture but it is not needed. We both hate seeing you like this, you don't need to give up your life with Max to be here with us."

Liz shook her head, "It's not that at all."

"What is it honey?"

"Its kind of complicated... it's hard to explain" Liz said not sure if she really wanted to get into this aspect of it with her mother, not knowing if her mother would understand.

"I have time... This is what will help you." Nancy nodded her head once for her daughter to continue.

"Well.." Liz said with hesitation, "Max and I both have made choices in the past, choices that we are still dealing with the consequences for. I have always believed in fighting for our love but I don't know what we are fighting for anymore. Sometimes I feel like we are just prolonging the inevitable. It's always been us against the world."

Nancy once again nodded. She accepted what her daughter said without understanding the full depth of it. She was merely here to listen as Liz got it off her chest, heard it out loud and was able to assess the situation.

"We were suppose to have this perfect future together. It was not at all how I had envisioned it from a little girl but in reality it was better because it seemed so right. I was so busy wanting it to work I overlooked the fact that it didn't turn out the way it should have.... looking back it feels more like we forced it then let it happen the way it was suppose to"

Liz paused only for a minute to come to her conclusion. It was something she had been avoiding for such a long time just the thought of saying it aloud scared her. Before speaking she closed her eyes lightly, which cause a single tear from each eye to stream down her cheeks, "Maybe we're not meant to be together. Maybe all this time we have been fighting for something that just wasn't meant to be."

Liz stopped speaking. She felt faint. It was probably from the rush of emotion she was feeling. The room began to spin as she widened her eyes to try and focus on something. Liz reached a arm out toward her mother. Liz's face went ghost white, right before her veins began to glow a bright green through her skin.

Nancy watched in horror as her daughter reached out toward her. Nancy extended both arms in the direction of her daughter who was sitting next to her on the bed. Liz collapsed into her mothers arms.

"Liz, what is wrong?" her voice shaking and her tone showing how frightened she was. "Jeff, JEFF!" she shouted as she maneuvered Liz onto her back, holding her head in her lap. Liz's eyes were rolled back into her head. Nancy placed a hand on her daughters forehead and to say it was warm would be an understatement. Nancy had never felt anyone's body that hot before and for it to spike so quickly.

Jeff burst through the door and looked down in horror at his daughter whose veins still pulsed an odd bright green. Jeff looked to his wife for direction with a gaping look of terror.

"Call 911." she stated simply.

The words must have snapped Liz back to reality. She reached upward with her hand and gripped her mothers arm tightly.

"No..." he voice weak and filled with pain. "You can't call them, you can't." she said her grip loosening as she didn't have much strength.

"What do I do Nancy?" Jeff stood frozen in the doorway unsure whether or not he should continue with his wife's demand or listen to his daughters request. He knew that matters dealing with the police and aliens wouldn't turn out so well... and by what Liz was displaying right now they would surely not take her for a human. That was one side of the coin. The other side was Jeff wasn't about to let his daughter die in the arms of his wife without trying all he could.

"I don't know, I don't know." Nancy repeated looking down at her daughter. She also was torn, terrified to make the wrong decision. "Get me a cold wet face cloth to start, then run downstairs and get some ice" Nancy figured the best thing to do right now was try and get her body temperature down to a normal level.

Jeff was only seconds getting the cold compress. Nancy slid her body out from underneath her daughter and situated her on her back on the bed. Nancy pressed the small facecloth against her daughters face. Liz eyes fluttered open and she seemed to become more coherent, though her body still felt extremely warm.

"Liz, you have to help me. What do we do? What is happening?"

Liz's eyes darted back and forth around the room. She could feel her fingers and toes twitching from the odd rush of power shooting through her veins. This was very similar to what had happened before when she first developed her side effect powers - only this time it felt a bit stronger.

Jeff returned with a large bowl full of ice water. Nancy took the warmed cloth that was in her hand and dipped it in to cool it back down. Gently she rubbed the cool cloth against her daughters face, which seemed to be working at easing her pain.

"I am fine. I just need to rest I think. I think this can be caused by rush of emotions. I just need rest." Liz closed her eyes again, only this time it was voluntary.

Nancy sat along side her daughter and continued to attempt at cooling her down. Jeff sat on the other side and gripped his daughters hand. For now they would sit here and watch over her, monitor her. If anything else was to go wrong then they could make their move but for now they would trust her judgement.
Author's Page
My Fics Below:
chunkmonster2
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Returning Normal (CC, M/L M/M I/K, TEEN) CH 5 pt 2 (19NOV09)

Post by chunkmonster2 »

Author's Note:
Thanks for the comments again guys always appreciated. The Christmas Nazi has returned again this year, but I kind of downplayed her because I feel she would have had to weaken her traditions somewhat by now.

I understand why the writers and producers have trouble with continuity... Just a quick reminder:

Around Serena they obviously use their alias... so it can get a bit confusing when they are speaking. In case you forgot which alias belongs to who I am going to provide a list both for you and myself. I actually noticed I don't think I ever gave Michael or Maria one... so they are going to get theirs now.

Max = Evan
Isabel = Abigail "Abby"
Kyle = Duke
Liz = Jenn
Michael = Micky
Maria = Bria

Okay.... So there's that... Hmm, trying to think if there is anything else that should be known...... and Nope!

As per usual I am going to give my little speech. Thanks to the FB's again! I love all your comments even if it is just to drop "loved this" or "loved that".
But remember to feel free to post criticisms too if you see anything our of place and it is really alright to say "hate this" or hate that"! I just loved the feedback. Even if you drop a line to let me know you joined in and are following... it all makes my day!

SO... without further ado...

like it, love it, hate it.... whatever... Just enjoy it and comment ;)

Chapter 5, pt 2 - Welcome to Earth Third Rock from the Sun

Liz's Bedroom - November 24th, 2009 3:14am

Liz eyes began to flutter open. She wasn't sure how long she had been asleep or what time it was, but she was feeling much better. After her eyes opened it took a couple minutes for them to adjust to the darkness of the room. Liz could feel the warmth from her mothers body. Liz turned her head to see her mothers body sitting in a chair but slumped over onto the bed. Liz assumed her mother must have stayed here all night with intentions of watching over her daughter. Slowly she began trying to shift her weight in the opposite direction of her mother so she could head to the bathroom. Liz rolled her weight gently and when she was near the other side she pushed herself in an upright sitting position.

"Your temperature has come down, are you feeling better?" Jeff said from the darkness of the room.

Liz eyes darted around as she was finally able to make out the shape of her father sitting in chair against the other side of the room. Liz looked back at her mother to see if she had been disturbed by him speaking, but she was still asleep.

Liz nodded her head and whispered softly, "Yes, thanks. You know you didn't have to..." she continued whispering so she wouldn't wake her mother.

"It's our job Liz." Jeff assured her.

Liz placed her hands next to her sides and pushed herself up from the bed. She walked across the floor slowly trying to make sure the old wood floor didn't creak, which was near to impossible. Liz made her way to the bathroom quickly. She used the bathroom and then paused in there for a moment. Liz looked in the mirror at her reflection. There was no more pulsing green color and the pain had completely subsided. Liz ran her hands through her hand and let out a sigh of relief. This happened to her before due to her emotions and when she was talking to her mother she was very emotional. Or maybe it was yet another sign proving her and Max should be apart.

Liz turned on the cold water tap and splashed it over her face a couple times. She looked in the mirror one last time before exiting the bathroom.

"What happened tonight? What was that?" Jeff questioned after she reemerged from the bathroom.

Liz didn't really know how to put it in words because she wasn't sure herself. They really had no definition of what it was or why it happened, but they felt it was driven by high emotion.

"I guess it's like a side-effect..." she said shrugging her shoulders as she looked to her father. "We don't really know. I was the first..." Liz paused a moment as she realized she would have to admit to her father for the first time she had nearly died. Sure he had read the journal so he obviously knew, but it was going to be different telling him face to face. "I was the first Max healed... the first human. Apparently something was transferred between him and me."

Jeff's stare was very blank. It was something that was really hard to comprehend.

"It's alright though, I will always be fine. When it happens I just need time to rest and I will be fine. It is a very minor consequence." she stated trying to reassure her father all would be well. The truth was they never really knew. Liz had been the first person that Max healed and she was the closest to death when he healed her. They didn't even know if it were permanent or temporary. So far Liz's side effects included flashes of the future. They had come in handy a couple times but for the most part she wasn't able to control them and sometimes they gave very insignificant details. Other then that she had obviously developed a power that was Michael-like but she had only ever used that against Tess - and she was having high ranges of emotions that day.

Besides herself the only other person they had been around long-term that Max had healed was Kyle. It was just last year that Kyle started to notice he would heal faster then normal, which they assumed was due to him transmitting some partial amount of Max's healing powers. Kyle had worked at trying to channel them but thus far it hadn't worked.

It was obvious that Jeff still had a look of concern on his face. Liz wasn't sure what to say to comfort him. Maybe it had been wrong to come back here, to involve her parents in this. This was a lot for them to have to handle. Liz couldn't think of anything to say to put him at ease. She tipped her head to the side and pursed her lips. Liz made her way over to her father where she leaned down to give him a hug.

"I love you Dad."

Jeff held tight onto his daughters back. He didn't want to let go cause more then anything he was just scared of losing her again. You never realize when you become a parent just exactly how much your in for.

"I love you too.."

Michael & Maria's Apartment - December 25th, 2009 5:15pm

"Oh my god this was such a bad idea.... why did you let me offer to do this?" Maria huffed as she hurried out of the kitchen to finish setting the table. Their apartment had the biggest dining area so it was natural that they would all get together there for Christmas dinner. The only difference this year; Maria offered to arrange everything. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but as everyone knew the one and only Christmas Nazi would be there. Maria had fooled herself into believing that it wouldn't be a stressful occasion but she couldn't have been more wrong. Maria had been looking for just about anything to fill the Liz void, anything to keep her mind occupied until her friend returned. Maria was sure she would return, she couldn't just abandon them.

"Did I really have a choice?" Michael said from the other side of the room. He stood watching Maria as she organized the table to the best of her ability. She had arranged and rearranged everything about five different times now.

"It wouldn't kill you to help would it?" Maria looked up from folding the napkins.

"Actually it would. The less I am part of this the less I have to take the blame for..." Michael said shaking his head as he walked back into the kitchen. Michael had been in charge of preparing the majority of the food because believe it or not, he was the better cook of the majority of the group. Working at the Crashdown had taught him a couple things - plus he pretty much had to fend for himself growing up.

Maria scoffed and rolled her eyes as she watched Michael return to the kitchen. Another Christmas morning had come and gone and there was still no ring. Maria just assumed year after year he was going to have some sort of change of heart and do something really romantic. It wasn't that she didn't love him for who he was, she just expected after all this time together that he would be able to give her a promise of tomorrow. The truth about Michael was he had a hard time promising anything until he absolutely had to, history had shown her that.

With a one last huff of air she spoke her thoughts aloud, "A girl can dream..."

"What?" Michael barked from the kitchen.

"Nothing Michael, Noth...." Maria stopped speaking as the doorbell to the apartment rang. Her eyes widened as she looked down at her watch, "It's only twenty after! I still have ten minutes. They can't be here yet. Oh my god!" Maria began to panic. This was when her old self would whip out one of her latest scents to try and calm herself - now she simply tried breathing techniques.

"Michael get the door and try and stall Isabel. I need to make sure everything is perfect!" Maria scrambled around the table double checking everything.

Michael nonchalantly made his way in the direction of the door, before he was able to make it the doorbell rang again which he could hear startle Maria again and she kicked into even deeper panic mode. Michael unlocked the deadbolt and then twisted the knob. The door swung inward granting everyone access to the apartment. With little expression or enthusiasm Michael welcomed his guest, "Come on in, Merry Christmas."

Isabel of course was smiles from ear to ear. "Nice enthusiasm there Grinch." she poked at Michael's attitude, "I think Max will give you a run for your money as biggest Scrooge this year though" Isabel made her way into the apartment. Max entered just behind her and greeted his friend by rolling his eyes at the comment his sister had made and Kyle brought up the rear.

"Glad to see you took time out of your busy schedule again this year Christmas Nazi, I was for sure you would have so much Christmas cheer to be spreading you wouldn't fit us in. Alas here you are again." Michael said sarcastically.

Max cracked a smile. He hadn't been really feeling up to being around everyone, more then anything it just made him realize that Liz wasn't here. He had still been waiting patiently, expecting her back anytime now. This was their first Christmas apart from each other in ten years... it was definitely different. Max had opted to stay at Kyle and Isabel's apartment so he wasn't alone.

Isabel turned her attention back to Michael and with a bright beaming smile replied to his witty comment, "Try all you want Michael, nothing brings me down on Christmas!" she nodded and headed onward toward the dining room.

Michael turned to Kyle and tapped him on the chest, "Something brought the Nazi's down didn't it?" Kyle let a light chuckle escape his lips, one he hoped Isabel didn't hear. Unfortunately she replied from the other room with a simple statement "I heard that"

Kyle was a bit nervous about tonight. He knew that it had been tradition for them to all get together alone and celebrate Christmas but he had taken the liberty of inviting Serena. The past week they had been meeting nearly every lunch hour and chatting and Kyle was actually starting to have feelings for her. He knew nothing could probably come out of it, especially since to her he was with Isabel, but what could it hurt. After spending the past 6 years alone Kyle was about ready to try and make something work... anything.

Eventually they all made their way into the dining room. Michael began bringing the food in from the kitchen that smelled better then delicious. Maria tried to make her way around the table and inconspicuously change and fix things. She could see Isabel's eyes wandering over everything from the decorations to the setting of the table. Maria was expecting comments from her but surprisingly she remained silent. Everyone began to settle in their seats while Kyle tried to find the opportune time to let them know what he had done. He knew if he had come to them and asked them firsthand they would have said no and he wouldn't have gone against their wisher. However, he found that if he invited her first, once she was here there wasn't much they could do.

Everyone had taken their seats except Kyle and Maria. Kyle clasped his hands together and took a deep breath, "So everyone there is something I've got to tell ya." he said looking around to see if he had got everyone's attention. Kyle took one last deep breath before starting to speak again. Just as his mouth opened and when the words would be about to flow out the doorbell rang again. Maria raised and eyebrow and looked around the table as if she was accounting for everyone who was there.

With a puzzled look Maria made her way out of the dining room and toward the main door.

There was only seconds before Kyle got a chance to explain who was at the door. Those seconds felt like a lifetime to Max. He moved to the edge of his seat as he tried his hardest to perk his ears and listen for the familiar voice to wait and see the familiar face walk around the corner. He vowed if she was here tonight they wouldn't speak of anything they would just have a perfect Christmas together and worry about the rest for another day. Normally he would try and convince himself to not get too worked up or excited - but it was too late for that.

"So..." Kyle began looking for the word, "I just wanted you to know that..."

Maria entered with Serena in tow.

"I invited Serena over for Christmas dinner.... tada" Kyle said pointing to her. He had meant to get it out before she arrived because he told her that he had already informed his friends but it was too late for that.

Serena smiled nervously as she lifted one hand to wave to the crowd. "Hi. I hope it's alright" She said meekly looking around at everyone.

Max hopes were instantly crushed. Anyone paying attention would notice that his head hung a bit lower then before.

"Of course it is! This is what Christmas is about!" Isabel was the first to perk up with an answer. She could probably care less if Kivar himself were invited over for

Christmas dinner, as long as he behaved and everyone had a good time - well that was a bit of an overstatement but you get the picture, she wouldn't turn most away.

The sincerity in her voice eased Serena's fear of nonacceptance a bit. Kyle smiled and nodded in Isabel's general direction as a thank you. Maria made her way around the table to take a seat next to Michael.

"Okay let's get started, It smells so great Micky. Duke come take your seat. Serena there is a seat next to Evan..." She looked to the empty chair next to Max and realized that the place hadn't been set for an extra person, "Oh but it hasn't been set. We can fix that, just give me a minute." Isabel pushed her chair back and instinctively got up and headed toward the kitchen to get the supplies needed to set an extra place at the table.

"An extra placing, in case of extra company... I knew I would miss something! Rookie mistake!" Maria whispered into Michael's ear. She shook her head back and forth.

Michael couldn't help but laugh at her, believe it or not he had always found something quite funny in her neurotic tendencies.

Isabel returned and set the place to perfect within seconds. Serena took her seat next to Max.

Isabel continued with saying grace and then the group began to eat.

This wasn't exactly what Kyle had in mind. He was kind of hoping he would be able to sit near Serena so that they could converse but unfortunately she was sitting across the table from him and his attempts to make conversation across the table had ended up awkward. Max sat silently eating his dinner until Serena made some attempts at making conversation with him.

"This is really great isn't it..." Serena complimented the food to start up a general conversation with Max.

It took Max a second to register that she was talking to him. He looked up from his plate and to Serena who was awaiting a reply, "Oh yeah.." he said nodding his head trying to be a bit more enthusiastic. "It really is. Micky is a great cook."

"I haven't seen you in the cafe much lately, you must be keeping busy with work are you?" Serena questioned. She was trying to make basic conversation so her being there wasn't so awkward. Their conversation continued on with the day to day topics as Max attempted at giving more then one word or short replies.

Maria watched as Serena made conversation with Max from across the table. Once the level of chatter had reached a certain point she felt she could whisper something to Michael without being heard, "God look, she really is evil. Liz is gone a month and she is throwing herself at Max."

Michael looked up from his plate and across the room at the pair. Michael raised his brow and turned his head toward Maria, "That's what you call throwing yourself at someone? She asked him to pass the pepper... am I missing something?"

Of course Michael wouldn't understand her logic, she was looking out for Liz. If the roles had been reversed and it was the other way around she would want Liz keeping a close eye on her husband.

The group finished eating dinner and all sat around chatting for a while. Overall it the Christmas dinner was a big hit.

"So I guess I'll see you tomorrow, I am glad you came." Kyle said as he walked Serena to the door.

"Thanks for inviting me, I really had a great time. Your such a sweetheart Kyle!" she said scrunching her neck into her shoulders. "Merry Christmas" she stated again.

She turned her attention back to the room of people and waved goodbye. Kyle opened the door for her and she disappeared into the hallway of the apartment building.

Isabel stood from her seat, "I am full. This really was great Maria, you did a great job hosting!"

Maria was extremely happy with herself. A compliment from the Christmas Nazi herself, she thought it was nearly impossible.

Isabel made her way to the door and met up with Kyle. "We should probably get going though, it's been a long day already I have been up since four am!" Kyle nodded supporting the fact. Being in the same house as Isabel was always interesting Christmas morning. Usually the older you got the later you would sleep in but it seemed to be working in the reverse for her. She was like a big kid on Christmas morning which in some ways was refreshing. "You coming Max?" Isabel questioned turning her body in the direction of her brother.

Max simply nodded as he pushed himself up from his seat. He grabbed his coat from the back of the couch and began to make his way to where Isabel and Kyle stood.

"Max can I talk to you in the kitchen for a minute?" Maria questioned. Everyone around her turned their attention to her. Everyone had a look of curiosity on their face but no one asked any questions. Maria awaited a reply from Max.

Max nodded his head which was followed immediately with a "Sure"

The pair of them made their way into the kitchen where they were just out of earshot of the rest of the group. Max raised his brow as he questioned Maria, "What's up?"

"I just wanted to make sure your alright... I mean, you know, despite..." Maria fumbled over the words.

"Yeah I am fine." Max wasn't really in the mood to discuss this right now. Quickly he began to turn his body back toward the direction they came from.

Unfortunately Maria wasn't finished just yet, she reached out a hand and grabbed his arm "Max it's alright to not be fine. You can't be fine all the time. I know it hurts... I miss her too. You just need to have faith in her..." She paused a moment tugging on his arm trying to get him to turn his full attention back to her, "It's Liz. She will be back."

Max turned his attention back to Maria only for a second, "I'm not so sure she will." The pain was obvious in his eyes.

Max began to make his way to the living room so he could head home with Isabel and Kyle. Just as he got to the edge of the kitchen Maria spoke up one last time, "If you ever need someone to talk to... about anything. You know I am here right."

Max paused a moment to hear her speak.

"I just want you to know that Max."

Without turning his attention toward her Max nodded his head. Max was actually happy she offered since he often felt like he couldn't talk to anyone about it. Michael never seemed to understand these kinds of things or the way Max handled them. Max and Kyle had never really bonded over this sort of thing and it was kind of awkward sometimes talking to his sister about it. Maria was the only other one who had a true strong connection with Liz that would understand her and the situation best. Max made his way out of the kitchen.

Kyle and Isabel's Apartment - December 26th, 2009 10:07am

Kyle had made plans to meet Serena for hot chocolate this morning. Winter didn't exactly get very could in Louisiana. When Serena and Kyle were talking earlier in the week she mentioned it was one of things she missed about Massachusetts. She missed the real winter feel - when it's cold outside and you have a warm fire and a cup of hot chocolate. Since they were too far away from doing snow and had no venue for starting a fire he decided the tradtion of hot chocolate would be the easiest way of giving her that Christmas feeling.

Kyle exited his room completely dressed and ready to go. He made his way into the kitchen were he turned on the tap and quickly grabbed a glass to get a quick mouthfull of water.

Isabel set at the dining room table. She was more then surpised to see Kyle up this early. Normally when he didn't have to work early he took the liberty of sleeping in and although it woulnd't be completely unusal for him to be up at this time he would be hardly dressed and ready to go for the day. Isabel set the newspaper on the table and looked as he hurried around the apartment grabbing a couple things. She tried to peg the situation before she actually questioned him on it.

"What gets you up so early this morning?" She questioned curiously.

"Oh nothin really, Just gonna pop down to main street for a bit." Kyle said only glancing to Isabel for a second.

"Mmmhmm" she said nodding her head continuing to watch him scurry about as though he were going to be late for something.

"What's the rush? If you give me a ten or fifteen minutes I could tag along, I am sure there are some sales or something I could look at." she offered.

Kyle turned his attention to her. He was kind of trying to avoid the topic of why he was going down there in the first place cause he was sure she would have something to say today about him inviting her to dinner the night before. Kyle stood there with his mouth open for a minute trying to think of anything to tell her but he wasn't best with lying.

"I am actually meeting up with Serena. We decided to go and get a cup of hot chocolate this morning... it's kind of like one of those traditions that she doesn't have her family here with her to do... so I offered."

Isabel could tell there was more to it then that. She had noticed his behavior around her the night before and now this today, "What is this Kyle?" Isabel questioned.

Kyle looked back up at her and furrowed his brow, "What do you mean? What is what?" he said raising his hands.

"This thing Kyle. Whatever it is your doing with Serena. You know it can't last Kyle... we have to be careful." Isabel said firmly.

Normally this is where Kyle would back down. Normally right about now he would agree that it was best for their safety for them not to get too attached to another outsider. It would only pose as another threat for them and potentially endanger another person's life. The truth was Kyle was starting to question this. They hadn't seen or heard of the FBI in over a year now; since they moved to Louisiana. Kivar supposedly dropped Isabel hints about coming to earth but there was still no sign of him. Was it really that bad of an idea for Kyle to try and have a bit of a normal life.

"You know Iz..." He started pausing a minute, "Normally I would agree with you but I am not so sure anymore. The whole purpose of us taking on these new names and new identities was so that we could live some incling of a normal life - Yet we get here and we still have a thousand restrictions on what we can do. Everybody has somebody in the group..." he paused a moment realizing Max's current situation before he corrected himself, "Well everyone had someone... everyone besides us. I know we have each other Isabel but it's not the same. I haven't dated anyone in over six years!" Kyle said shaking his head and raising his brow for dramatics. "And let's not forget the sex part. I don't even know if I remember how. Don't you ever want to start over again? Don't you ever want to find a real relationship?" Kyle turned the question around on her.

Isabel set there contemplating it for a moment. "No. What I want is to have the life I had back in Roswell - With Jesse. Kyle we all want things but sometimes they just aren't feasible. You know this isn't either. You will never be able to tell her the truth and you will be living a lie. Until we figure out a more permanent solution I don't think you should go down this road... it only leads to heartbreak." Isabel was speaking from experience. When she was first with Jesse she was masking this life and it was extremely draining on her.

Kyle listened to what Isabel had to say but by the look on his face it was obvious he had already made his mind up. "I'm going Isabel. I'll be back in a couple hours..." Kyle turned on his heel and headed toward the door.

"Remember Kyle it can't last..." Isabel shot one last reminder at him as he approached the door.

Kyle flipped one hand in the air to let her know to disist. He made his way out the door and it came shut behind him.

"Who is this girl anyways.... trying to steal my fake boyfriend." Isabel said aloud as she picked her paper back up to start reading again. All this talk had brought Jesse back up in her mind. Isabel always questioned whether or not she did the right thing by leaving him behind. All she wanted for him was to be able to have a normal life and there is no way he could have had that with them. She had always dreamed of the day they would return and they could be together again. Maybe Kyle was right, maybe they should be working toward living a more normal lifestyle
Author's Page
My Fics Below:
chunkmonster2
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Returning Normal (CC, M/L M/M I/K, TEEN) CH 5 pt 3 (19NOV09)

Post by chunkmonster2 »

Author's Notes:
Okay... well I had the next part partially done... for the 3rd part... but didn't really have time to make it full post size... I am going away for the weekend so i won't have time to work on it for a bit.

I figured I wouldn't hold out... post what I have!

drama, drama, drama... lemme know what you think guys ;) and have a good weekend...

I am gonna be slowin' down again soon cause finals and final papers are soon approaching :cry:

anyways.... like it, love it, hate it.... whatever just enjoy it and comment

Chapter Five, pt 3 - Welcome to Earth Third Rock from the Sun

Just Us Cafe - December 26th, 2009 11:13am

"Well you sorta got your wish" Kyle said giving no other information about what he was talking about.

Kyle had met up with Serena and they had decided to go for a walk around the town before heading to the cafe to pick up their hot chocolate. They were narrowing in on the cafe now. There hadn't been much life around the small town but that was to be expected for boxing day. It was surprising that the Cafe was even open but the boss was quite a money hungry person and he was probably the only person who was open today - taking all of the business that was around.

"What do you mean?" Serena said turning her attention toward Kyle as she walked alongside him.

Kyle smiled and shrugged his shoulders, "Well it's kinda cold out. I mean, cold for Louisiana standards" It was actually cold as far as natives to the town were concerned but it was still 38 degrees Fahrenheit. Kyle pretended to shiver as he shot a playful wink in Serena direction.

Serena laughed and nudged him with her elbow. "Don't make fun. I'll take whatever I can get. I'll probably be too hot after I drink the hot chocolate to even wear a coat though." she joked back with him. "You know Kyle I really wanted to thank you again for last night." Serena turned her head toward him as they made their way down the street. "It really meant a lot to me that you invited me along. I have others at the center I am staying at but doing everything there tends to get a little boring. Besides I wanted more of a normal gathering that didn't remind me so much of why I was here." Serena's smile widened, "So I want to thank you for that."

Kyle was satisfied she was happy, as he looked at it he was definitely scoring major points. Kyle looked from Serena back in front of him to see they were nearing in on their destination, "Here we are!" he said as they reached the cafe door. Kyle reached and grabbed the door and pulled it open. He held the door and granted Serena access first and he followed behind her. The pair of them made their way to the counter and took a seat on stools side by side. Serena placed the order for both of their hot chocolates with Liz's replacement. It was good not being the newest girl cause that meant she got the better shifts.

Serena had something on her mind. She wanted to discuss it with Kyle but she wasn't sure if it was entirely appropriate or not. He was pretty much the best friend that she had here though so she was sure he would be a good person to talk to about it. Their hot chocolates arrived and Serena took a sip from hers first. Kyle followed her lead and also took a sip from his, but he took a bigger one which in turn burnt his lips a bit. They both chuckled over the immediate funny face that always accompanied when someone took a big drink of something to hot.

"So..." Serena started as she set her mug back on the counter, "I had something I kinda wanted to ask you about. I kinda wanted to get your opinion."

Kyle wasn't really sure where it was going but he decided to turn full attention toward her. He shifted his weight on his seat so he would be facing her better, "Shoot.." he said giving her the floor to speak her mind.

"Well, I was kinda thinking. Evan is a good guy right?" she didn't immediately make eye contact cause she was slightly embarrassed to be talking about this.

Kyle still was unsure where this was going but he answered the question anyways with a nod and "Yep!"

"I know it's really early and all you know with the him and Jenn thing - but do you think maybe he would be interested in doing something sometime?" Serena looked up from the counter. She wanted to see Kyle's reaction so she could gage whether it would really be a good idea or not. She didn't want to look like a fool and she was sure it was too early yet to do anything with him, but maybe in the near future.

Kyle's head kind of jutted backwards. "Max" he thought to himself as he looked gaze with Serena. Kyle was the one putting in all the effort into getting to know her. What was possibly wrong with him. She was always complimenting him and flirting and now she goes and brings Max into the picture.

"There situation is really complicated... and I don't know it would be wise to get involved with it really." Kyle tried shooting down her intentions of dating Max. What he said was truthful, their situation was complicated and even if she wasn't worried about that there is probably no way Max would go for it.

"Oh.." she said defeated and looked back down at her mug. She lifted it to her lips and took another sip, this one less hot then before.

"I don't understand though. I thought...." Kyle said shaking his head as he shifted his weight back forward looking on behind the counter. Kyle lightly tapped his hand on the table.

Serena was confused. She thought she knew where he was going with this but she wasn't really sure why he was going there. Obviously she had interest in Kyle when she met him but it couldn't go any further then that - he still had a girlfriend. Serena wasn't that type of girl, she would pick a guy up that a girl had recently ditched but as far as going ahead and stealing one for herself... it wasn't her style.

"You thought what Duke?" she questioned.

"Nothing." he replied firmly. Kyle sat there trying to decide what to do, he really wasn't in the mood for this right now. Her bringing up someone else had kind of turned him off wanting to sit there and have a good time, "I really think maybe I should get back to my place." Kyle stood from his stool quickly and dropped a twenty on the table to take care of their drinks, "I'll see ya around Serena."

Kyle made his way to the door and pushed it open and escaped before Serena had much time to even realize what he was doing.

Serena sat there in confusion for a moment before she decided to go after him. She pushed the money toward the new girl and grabbed her coat quickly and headed out the door after him.

"Duke." she yelled once she had reached the outdoors. She looked both to her right and left to try and see which way he had went. He eyes caught a glimpse of him heading down the street to the right so she lightly jogged after him.

"Duke... DUKE... Would you wait up for a second." she continued yelling to him as she narrowed in on him. She couldn't get enough speed to get in front of him so she reached out and grabbed the material of his coat to use her body as an anchor to slow him down. Kyle turned around to face her.

"What are you doing? Why did you take off like that?" Serena said shaking her head in his direction.

"I think I've embarrassed myself enough, obviously you don't have interest in me. I don't really feel like playing matchmaker." Kyle said rudely. He was just upset with the entire situation and it was entirely anything she did.

"What do you mean embarrassed yourself? What would have you done to embarrass yourself?"

"Open your eyes Serena. Why do you think I have been trying to spend all this time with you, getting to know you? I like you. But obviously you don't feel the same way, so we must have got some wires crossed." Kyle finally admitted his attraction to her, sure it wasn't in the best setting but he did admit it.

Serena stood there still shaking her head in his direction, "Of course I like you Duke. Why else do you think I would want to spend time with you? Nothing can happen between us though, you have Abby... you don't think I haven't thought about it."

Kyle was a bit shocked. The last thing he expected her to do right now was admit she had attraction for him as well. He had thought it before as he just stated but after her ploy for Max he was certain he must have been misreading the situation. Kyle looked down at the redhead as she began listing all the reasons why it wouldn't work - all pertaining to him and his falsified relationship with Isabel. As she was standing there and going on about all these reasons all Kyle really wanted to do was kiss her. He watched her lips as they shifted forming different shapes for different words and he could hear nothing, he was just mesmerized by her lips.

In one quick motion Kyle reached with his right arm and pulled her body close to his. He leaned down and his lips found hers. Serena's arms instinctively wrapped around his neck as she pulled herself in closer reciprocating the kiss. The kiss linger for a while before Serena snapped back to reality and pulled herself away. She looked up at Kyle and shook her head as he moved in again.

"No... No... I can't do this. I won't" Serena said trying to be firm as she took a couple steps backward.

"But..." Kyle tried to find some sort of reasoning other then telling her the truth. Unfortunately nothing came to his head and there was just no way of telling someone do ditch their morals... especially ones this important.

Serena paused a moment before she turned on her heel and headed in the opposite direction from him. Kyle took a couple steps in her direction to stop her but he realized even if he did he still had nothing to say. He watched as she continued down the street and eventually disappeared around the corner.

"There has got to be someway, Something has got to change here..."
he thought to himself before heading off in the direction of his and Isabel's apartment.

Kyle and Isabel's Apartment - December 26th, 2009 12:02pm

Isabel heard the distinct sound of key grazing a lock. She looked up at the clock that hung on the wall just to her right. It had to have been Kyle but it was kind of odd that he was home already it was only still lunch. Isabel leaned forward from the couch to get a better view of the door. She watched as the knob turned and Kyle entered the apartment.

"Home already? How'd the hot date go honey?" she teased him as he made his way into the living room. The closer he got she realized just how unhappy he looked. Isabel's brow furrowed as he plopped himself in the chair across from her.

"I'm done. I'm done with it." Kyle stated vaguely throwing his arms in the air.

Isabel nodded. She assumed he was talking about trying to be with Serena, trying find a way for it to work. "I told you, it's just to hard Kyle. I have been there." She nodded after she finished speaking in triumph of being right.

Kyle looked at her squaring his eyes. With one shake of his head he replied, "That's not what I am talking about. I am done with this charade... living this life in the shadows. I am steppin' into the light."

Isabel's eyes widened as she watched him then push himself up from the chair and make his way into the kitchen. "What do you mean by that Kyle? Stepping into the light?" She figured she better clarify what he was saying before she commented on it again. It better not be what she was thinking because that simply wasn't possible. He couldn't start getting careless now they had been settled here for a decent amount of time and she frankly didn't have interest in picking up and moving most likely halfway across the country.

"With this charade. We are suppose to be trying to have a life, a normal life. A normal life for me doesn't consist of pretending that I have a girlfriend at home when I really don't. It consists of getting to know people, dating, who knows Isabel maybe even having sex... in my own apartment, which I won't share with my pretend girlfriend" Kyle didn't mean for it to come off offensive toward Isabel. It had nothing to do with her. It wouldn't have matter if she was replaced with Maria, Liz or anyone for that matter.... what he was tired of was simply pretending.

"You can't just tell her Kyle, it doesn't work that way." Isabel tried reminding him.

"How is that fair? I didn't get asked to get dragged into this secret. Max told Liz, Michael told Maria and you told Jesse. I see a pattern here except... oh wait, Kyle isn't allowed telling anyone. Kyle just has to keep this to himself forever." Kyle grabbed a class from the cupboard and slammed it down on the counter. Opening the fridge he grabbed the carton of orange juice and poured himself a glass.

"You know that's not how it happened Kyle. The others just found out we didn't chose to tell them, just like we never chose to tell you. Don't you remember how you got dragged into this secret? You were shot Kyle, you were dying and Max saved you. Would it hurt to have a little gratitude? God!" Isabel was getting a bit frustrated with his childish attitude right now. He had valid points but being rash like this wasn't going to help anyone.

"Oh of course, Thank you so much. In case you have forgotten Isabel the reason I got shot was because of this whole mess. Had there not been aliens around I would have never got shot and then I wouldn't have to carry this secret around, but I'm sorry I guess I forgot to thank you for that." Kyle grabbed the glass and headed toward the bedroom. He didn't realize how harsh he was being with her, he was being unfair. Isabel had nothing to do with him getting involved in this and he knew how much it hurt them to think they had involved innocent people. What he was leaving out of his rant was the fact that they never chose this either... it was as involuntary to them as any of the others.

Isabel set in silence without a rebuttal. She was slightly hurt from his comments but in the back of her mind she knew they just came from frustration. He was frustrated with the situation and he needed to take his anger out on someone. The door slammed as he entered the bedroom and made Isabel jump slightly. Normally she felt as though she should inform the others of Kyle's intentions immediately but she was going to give him the benefit of the doubt. The past six years they had been there for each other a lot. She would give him time to calm down and try to rationalize with him. Right now he just needed a timeout and a breather.
Author's Page
My Fics Below:
chunkmonster2
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Returning Normal (CC, M/L M/M I/K, TEEN) CH 5 pt 4 (24NOV09)

Post by chunkmonster2 »

Author's Note -
So this pretty much wraps up Chapter 5... As promised there is a little more Michael and Maria! The title of the chapter also might make a little more sense now... Um... Can't really think of any other notes on the chapter.

As always drop lots of feedback... just cause I loves it! Thanks guys!

Chapter 5, pt 4 - Welcome to Earth Third Rock from the Sun.

Kyle and Isabel's Apartment - December 27th, 2009 7:10 am

Shortly after she had an argument Isabel left their apartment to get some fresh air. She truly felt bad for Kyle getting dragged into this situation. She had always felt bad for herself because she was born into this lifestyle - she never had a choice. She never really put much thought into their human counterparts. They knew what it was like to live a normal life and now because they had associated themselves in a positive way with the aliens, they themselves were alienated. She figured it would be best to give Kyle sometime alone and return later to sit and have a rational conversation with him - she would drop anything that he said that was hurtful since he was not in a normal state and she would simply be there to listen to him.

Upon arrival back to her apartment later in the day she quickly realized Kyle wasn't home. There was no indication around the apartment of where he went or when he would return. Isabel went about her business of taking down and packing all of her Christmas things away in boxes. Her apartment looked more festive this year cause she had more time in one area to let things accumulate and keep them. Normally with them bouncing around really often anything extra they acquired that was not important had to be left behind. It took her no time to take everything down and pack it away. She pondered only a short time where Kyle could be and then found more daily tasks to complete her day with. Isabel finished the night off with reading on the couch waiting for Kyle where she eventually fell asleep.

Isabel was awoken by the door slowly opening. She opened her eyes and looked across the room to see Kyle trying to make a silent entrance. Isabel sat up and wiped her face as she felt like there was some drool had accumulated on the outside of her lip. Quickly she looked around realizing that daylight was starting to break. She looked up at the clock hanging high on the wall and realized that it was already morning.

"I attempted at waiting up for you..." she murmured blinking harshly to try and clear her vision.

Kyle nodded in her direction, "I just..." he began to speak but trailed off trying to find the words. Unfortunately he really wasn't sure how to put it.

Luckily for Kyle she already understood. Isabel offered a few words to finish his sentence, "needed some time?"

Kyle nodded and made his way into the room toward Isabel. Kyle took a seat across from her and clasped his hands together. He pressed his lips together in a way that conveyed a shamefaced manner, "Look Isabel, I said some thing... You know.... I was mad and..." he kept tripping over his words because he wanted to find the right thing to say. "I am sorry. I didn't mean to blame you for this I just got frustrated and I needed someone to blame."

Isabel could tell enough from the initial look on his face. The words he said didn't really matter because emotions show through your expressions better then words can ever describe. "I am sorry too Kyle. We just have always lived this life, sometimes I forget that you still remember what it's like to have a normal life - something I never had. We have had more years to adjust to all of this."

Kyle nodded as she finished speaking. It was nice to see that she had taken the time to actually consider things as well. There was always two sides to things and it was nice to see she had considered his point of view. Kyle knew what was coming next would be hard for her to accept immediately. He had spent the whole night up out just walking freely and thinking. Kyle had hours to walk and think about his life and reflect on everything that had happened and everything they had been through together. This part of his speech was set in stone in his mind, it was as though he had practiced it over and over a million times.

"Isabel.... I need, I want you to know I am going to tell Serena. I spent my night walking around this town reflecting on everything my life is and was and where I want it to go. I realize things have changed now and that living a completely normal life isn't exactly possible. Isabel... I need someone in my life. I love you and I love what we have together but it's not the same and you know that. I deserve this - just as you deserve to have someone in your life someday. I haven't ignored my obligation to the group. I do not intend on telling her the truth about our entire situation, but I am going to tell her the truth about us. It's the only way I have a chance at seeing if something is feasible between us... I am not willing to sacrifice that. I know it's not ideal but it's what I need to do. I have sacrificed a lot for this secret but I am not willing to sacrifice a chance at love."

Kyle finished with a nod. He knew it would be her duty to tell the others now that he had intentions of talking to Serena even if it was a very minor part of their cover he was blowing. He understood fully she would have to do this and he didn't have any ill feelings toward it.

Isabel was silent at first. She wasn't sure exactly what to say because although it was against the groups rules to even partially let someone in - his words spoke directly to her heart. She remembered what it was like with Jesse. She knew what it was like for others to try to deny you a chance at happiness, a chance at love.

"When will you tell her the rest? I mean..." she paused licking her lips for moisture before continuing, "When will you tell her about us? You know it's inevitable right?"

Kyle nodded and replied, "I am not sure. It depends on how things work between us. I can't say for sure all I know is if I do this, if she has interest... I will work as hard as I possibly can at making it work. Honesty is a huge part of a relationship and sometime she will have to know."

Isabel simply nodded. She would tell the others later about his intentions, she had an obligation she knew he was aware of.

Michael and Maria's Apartment - December 31st, 2009 10:02pm

"Michael, you better be nearly ready. We are suppose to meet everyone at Kyle and Isabel's before heading out and we only have a couple hours left until midnight."

Maria shouted from the bathroom where she was perfecting her makeup. Anyone who knew Maria as a young teenager would be very surprised to see her now. She was a very quirky and odd looking young girl who happened to turn into a very beautiful woman. Generally she put very little effort into her look and still looked beautiful but on special occasions she liked to make sure she looked that much better. She stood back after she finished applying her eye make-up and focused on her eyes a minutes to ensure everything was even. Maria took a couple steps backward to get a more full length look in the mirror. She turned her body to the side to check that angle and then checked the back angle by looking over her shoulder. The tight black dress was definitely doing her body justice.

"Michael..." she yelled again since he hadn't replied yet.

Michael sat in on the end of his bed. Maria had somehow convinced him to dress up. He wasn't going to go all out for the formal but the dress pants and shirt would work perfectly fine. Right now Michael didn't care about that at all - his attention was diverted to the small box in his hand.

This particular small box had been hidden within their apartment for over a year now. The contents of the box were very important to him and to Maria but she had never seen it yet. Admittedly Michael was never good at this kind of thing and he really had no idea what to say or do to complete the task. Michael opened the box and lifted it upward to let the light catch it. The diamond sparkled in the light. Michael shook his head and closed the box again clasping it tight in his hands. "Should tonight be the night?" he thought to himself. He had considered proposing during Christmas but everything with Kivar's supposed return had stopped him. Michael knew that Maria still thought that it was all just his commitment issues but truthfully it wasn't. Michael loved Maria, maybe more then she could ever know, but he didn't want to promise her something he couldn't keep. They never knew what was around the corner and what if they had to be separated someday? The recent difficulties between Max and Liz showed just how real and difficult this lifestyle could be on a couple.

The door to the bedroom swung open and Maria came barging in. Michael clasped his hand tighter around the box as he quickly stood from the bed and shoved his hands into his pockets to conceal the contents of his hands. Maria made her way over to the full length mirror in their bedroom unbeknown-st to what he was looking at before she entered the room abruptly. While still checking herself in the mirror she spoke to Michael again, "What were you doing? Why didn't you answer me?"

"I was trying to get ready."

Maria turned toward him and looked him up and down, "Looks like your ready then. We should head out." Maria moved toward Michael and awaited for him to make his move.

Michael paused a moment. He looked down at the beautiful woman in front of him who was staring back at him with a slight glare wanting him to make his move toward the door so their night could begin. She looked perfect. She always looked perfect. Michael had come to love everything about her including all the small quirks she had. A unintentional smile came across his face as he looked at the love of his life and realized he was lucky enough to be with "the one", something he never thought he would find on this planet.

"What?" Maria said self-consciously as she straightened her dress and tried to peer at a mirror from where she stood.

Michael shook his head, "Nothing, nothing. Let's just head out okay?" He said still smiling down at her. Michael's arm found its way around her shoulders and the pair of them made their way from their bedroom and toward their door.

Kyle and Isabel's Apartment - December 31st, 2009 11:07pm

"I think tonight is the night..." Michael said in mid-conversation of something else.

Max was being his usual self as of late, he was a bit distant. When Michael said this it kind of perked him up a bit though, "You mean... the night? Your gonna..." Max said trailing off allowing Michael to finish the sentence.

"Yep." Michael said nodding his head, "I am going to ask her tonight. I am not really sure how but I figure tonight is as good as any night right?"

Max nodded. He knew Michael would probably fumble over the whole situation and probably even say or do something insulting to Maria in the process but he was sure Maria had come to expect nothing less and it would be just exactly how she wanted it.

"Good for you Michael. I am happy for you guys." Max said with a smile as he patted his good friend on the back. He was truly happy they would have the happiness they deserve.

Michael nodded and made his way across the room to Maria.

Seeing a time-slot open Isabel made her way across the room to Max.

"He's going to tell her tonight I think. She is going to be at the dance and I think he is going to tell her the truth about me and him. What should we do?" Isabel questioned slightly panicking.

Max shook his head from side to side, with a slight shrug of his shoulders he said, "What can we do. He's right you know Isabel we can't deny him a chance at happiness. I talked to him and he is merely going to tell her there is nothing between you guys and make up some excuse of why you have been pretending."

"Is that going to work though? Won't that look suspicious? What if she has more questions, they always do once you let them in with a little bit..." Isabel had so many concerns. She was getting use to her life here, it was steady and reliable. Maybe it was easier for her because she was still in love with Jesse and wasn't really interested in finding anyone else, she was still hoping one day to be back with him.

"I don't know Isabel..." Max mind was obviously somewhere else as he stared out over the group of his friends in deep thought.

"Max, what is wrong? Your not really listening to me are you?" Isabel questioned him, placing a hand on his shoulder to try and draw his attention toward her.

"Isabel, I am leaving." Max said speaking quieter then before.

"Where are you going Max? You can't just leave. What about the rest of us?"

"I can't do this anymore Isabel, I can't wait. Liz is out there somewhere and for all I know she is waiting for me to come and find her. She is blaming herself for so many things that she simply couldn't help. I need to find her." Max turned his full attention to his sister standing next to him to show his full sincerity, "You all will be fine and I will be back. I know it goes against the rules to leave the group like this but I am beginning to question our rules."

Isabel didn't know what to say, she didn't want her brother to leave.

"I am going to leave tomorrow morning. I'll explain to everyone else tomorrow, just don't tell anyone tonight. I want everyone to have a good night tonight, they all deserve it."

Isabel stood silent next to her brother.

"Maria can I talk to you for a minute?" Michael questioned her his voice shaking a bit in anxiousness. At first he thought he would do it when they were out at the dance after midnight, but he was far to anxious. He knew if he was going to do it at all he better do it now before he had time to think longer get more nervous and put it off again.

"Yeah just a minute Michael, I want to find one of those countdowns in New York for New Years Eve, they always have good music we can listen to a bit of it before we head to the dance.

"I don't think there is much point though, we are leaving here in a couple minutes." Michael replied.

"Just give me a second Michael..." She said still flipping through the channels. Maria flipped past CNN but something caught her eye that would cause her against her best judgement to turn it back. She was certain that seeing the name of their hometown on the national news could never be a good thing. Maria moved her finger to the volume button and slowly turned up the volume.

"Maria, it's important just..." Michael had the box clasped in his hands but when the words from the television hit his ears he stopped mid sentence. Michael quickly shoved the ring back into his pocket, "Max, Isabel get over here"

Following his shout out to his friends the pair of them followed by Kyle headed toward the television where Michael and Maria were standing. The words of the news reporter numbed all other senses as they all stared blankly at the television as she spoke.

"Just minutes ago six strange lights were seen floating above Roswell, New Mexico. Several witness say the lights appeared just before eleven o'clock and hovered in the air for approximately five to ten minutes. The lights were then seen heading in the direction of the desert south of the town of Roswell, making what looked like a crash landing in the desert. Officials have no word on what exactly the lights are but are said to be on scene. Roswell, as you may know, is familiar with this type of activity. The town was made famous by the 1947 crash which has long been debated as one of the largest alien cover-ups. There has been several sighting in the area since then, many which haven't been substantiated. The most recent happened back in 2002 when it appeared as though a US Military plane was attempting at shooting and unidentified craft from the air. We will be standing by to get the latest on this sighting. What a way to ring in the New Year for the residents of Roswell"

Everyone stood in silence as the screen switched back to the news reporters at the headquarters and they went on about their nightly news. Everyone was thinking the same thing. When Isabel had her dream nearly two months ago Kivar told her six would come, surely these six lights were exactly what he meant.

"Max..." Isabel said her voice shaking.

"He's here..." Max finished.

Everyone was silent for a minute as they realized that what they had been fearing for the past couple months was finally underway. In the backs of their minds they had hoped that it would just go away and then they would not have to worry about it again, unfortunately they weren't that lucky. For one of them in particular tonight wasn't the best night for this to happen. The shock wore off after a couple minutes and Maria turned her attention to her boyfriend who eagerly wanted her attention before.

"What did you want Michael?" she questioned looking upward at him.

Michael still had his hand in his pocket gripping the box with ring inside. Gently he let go of his grasp and let it settle in his pocket.

"It was nothing." he said pulling her into a hug.

Tonight was not the night because now more then ever he was uncertain of what he could promise her.
Last edited by chunkmonster2 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author's Page
My Fics Below:
chunkmonster2
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Returning Normal (CC, M/L M/M I/K, TEEN) CH 6 pt 1 (25NOV09)

Post by chunkmonster2 »

Author's Notes:
Back again... already with the beginning of chapter 6! My muse was running so I figured now is better then later! Um... not really much to give notes on... so I'll answer back to some of the feedback... thanks for following guys and I am gonna put my usual sentence ;)

like it, love it, hate it, whatever - just enjoy it and comment!

keepsmiling7 - Your answer to what will happen to Kyle's plans is in the following post... so you'll see it there ;) And remember this is the the group of Aliens and friends from Roswel... they never seem to catch a break :D
makes it interesting though

begonia9508 - Your right, Liz is in Roswell... and it would seem like thats where whatever it was landed. Luckily Liz has been keeping a low profile so hopefully she goes unnoticed.

nibbles2 - How was that for a little more Michael and Maria... :) I knew you wouldn't be too happy with the alien invaders... so, so close... if Maria had only listened when he was speaking. You know I think you have always seem to have pretty good intuition about where I am going with the storyline... thats all I got to say!

Chapter Six, pt 1 - I Wonder

Liz's Bedroom - January 1st, 2010 10:09am

Liz lay still asleep in her bed. She had been exhausted lately. Since her first attack with the heightened alien powers she had a couple more; none that were as substantial as the first though. Stress was most likely the cause as it had been all those years ago when she first started going through changes. However the whole process of it seemed to be really wiping her out.

A light tap came at the door which Liz heard but chose to ignore. She kept her eyes closed and listened as she heard the door slowly creak open.

"Liz, are you awake?" her fathers voice whispered as though he was attempting not to wake her, which was contrary his actions.

"I am now..." Liz said slightly annoyed that she had been awoken.

"Jeff pushed further into the bedroom after she spoke. "You know it's after ten am right? You went to bed last night at around nine. Are you feeling alright?" he questioned as he set on the edge of the bed next to her. Jeff was still extremely concerned for his daughter. It was hard for a parent to watch their children go through all the natural occurrences of life, but when your daughter had something supernatural happening - something he had never experienced himself before, it got that much harder.

Liz pushed herself up and looked at the clock. She used her left hand to push the strands of hair back from her face, "I can't believe it's this late already. I have been so zonked lately."

Jeff nodded. Jeff had other reasons for entering her room. After she retired to bed last night there came the news of the sighting. He wasn't sure if this had anything to do with his daughters situation but he assumed she would want to know. The town was booming again with news reporters and alien enthusiasts all coming to try and find remnants of the latest crash. "Liz there was some sort of a sighting last night. There were some lights seen in the sky above Roswell. They think it's another UFO incident but there are no signs of debris as of yet."

Liz eyes widened as she looked at her father. This was probably the beginning. This was most likely Kivar.

"Are you alright? Is there something wrong Liz?" Jeff asked as his daughters face turned white as a ghost.

Liz didn't want to panic her father just yet. She didn't know what was going to happen but if things played out as they had before Future Max returned there was no hope for anyone. Liz's mind began to wander to thoughts of Max. Would this bring him and the others back to Roswell or would it drive them further away? Liz still hadn't made her decision of what to do with her current situation with Max.

Liz snapped back to reality and realized she was worrying her father. For his sake she forced a smile on her face and shook her head no, "It's probably nothing. People are always looking for something to see in this town. Do you have breakfast still cooking downstairs? I am starved I feel like I haven't ate in ages."

Liz attempt at easing her father seemed to work. Jeff smiled and patted her on the knee as he stood from the bed.

"I'll go get you something ready."

Max's Apartment - January 1st, 2010 12:10pm

"Max, you have just been sitting there silent. What was the point in coming here if you weren't going to say anything?" Isabel huffed as she waited for her brother to speak.

Max was in a daze. It was so easy for him to get lost in his thoughts and forget there were others around him. Today was the day he planned on heading out to find Liz and now everything had changed that. He couldn't plan on leaving the group now when they needed him the most. Everyone in the room seemed really restless. They were all having their usual conversations and trying to ignore the fact that they would have to deal with this issue immediately.

"What is wrong with you? Ever since last night you have been acting really strange Michael" Maria raised an eyebrow looking up to her boyfriend from the couch. She knew he obviously had a lot to process from last night but he had been acting extra awkward toward her in particular. In fact he had barely spoke to her since the night before.

Michael was in another world as well. The difference with Michael was he always had selective hearing and was just good at blocking people out... which he was obviously doing to Maria right now. The whole Kivar situation put a damper on his plans but in some ways it was probably a good thing. It just reminded Michael how he could never have a normal relationship like that. He had come so close to believing it was possible to have it all ripped away. It was probably for the best though, this way there was no harm and no foul.

Since she was getting no response from her brother Isabel turned to Kyle who was leaning against the wall next to her, "Did you talk to her? Did you tell her last night?" Isabel was curious if after all that happened Kyle had gone through with his original plan about revealing the truth to Serena.

Kyle simply shook his head back and fourth. He seen no point in telling her anymore. Now he didn't even know how much longer he would be in Louisiana, surely this meant they would be hitting the road again. He had came so close to a chance at happiness. Kyle didn't even go through with meeting up with her the night before, there was no point really. There was no sense in being around her if in her mind he still had a girlfriend.

Isabel looked across the room at Maria who was sitting on the sofa, "I guess we are the only ones still left with vocal ability."

Maria shrugged her shoulders, "And we aren't getting anywhere."

There was another short but very awkward moment of silence before Max finally spoke. Even before the words flowed from his mouth attention was turned to him, it was if they could sense that he was about to speak. Everyone still seemed to wait to follow his direction. They had decided long ago that there was no hierarchy in the group and that every decision would be made as a group - but they still looked to him as their leader. The ability and skill was born in the former King and there was simply no denying that.

"I need to leave, I need to cross the border for a day." Max said simply.

Isabel turned back to her brother and scrunched her face, "What for? You can't possibly still be planning on what you were planning right?" She attempted at speaking in code but her attempt was horrific to say the least.

Maria piped up, "What was this thing you were planning?"

Max turned his attention first to Isabel to say "No" and then turned to Maria to conclude, "It doesn't matter anymore."

Both Michael and Kyle still stood silently.

"Then why are you crossing the border, we need to stick together." Isabel said shaking her head.

"I need to make a call" Max came back quickly.

"To who? What for? Max quit being so cryptic we need to know what your plan is." Isabel was getting a little tired of playing this back and forth game with him.

"I need to call Dad. If Kivar is really here and everything else about your dream is correct then he is here for the heir. I need to find out where Zan is." Max said with little emotion. This was the first time he had spoke of finding his son since he had given him up many years ago.

Everyone in the room seemed to hold their breath. They knew the subject was probably very difficult for Max for several different reasons. Max had never forgiven himself for what happened with Tess that led to Zan being conceived. This would surely be a reminder. On top of that he never forgave himself for letting her leave with his son to another planet. Then the whole issue of things that happened in between right up to getting his son back again and eventually placing him for adoption. Any one of those variables would be hard on a person but Max had to deal with all of them and right now he had to deal with it alone.

Max stood from his seat, "I should be back by late tonight or tomorrow. Michael I'll need you to come with me after that..." Max finished.

Michael turned to follow Max with his eyes, "Where will we be going?" Michael asked curiously not really sure of his duty with the whole plan.

"I'm going to find Zan before Kivar does. I may have placed him for adoption, but I didn't give up on him. That was for his safety and right now to ensure his safety we need him with us."

"You can't possibly plan on kidnapping him Max. You can't just snatch him from his home, from his parents. Could you imagine if that had of happened to us. He may not even know who or what he is. He's just a little boy. What will you tell him?" Isabel had more questions then she was sure Max could answer at this time.

"I don't know, I'll figure out something to tell him. In the meantime I need to get the information on where he is." Max grabbed his coat and headed toward the door.

Isabel jumped from her seat and trailed behind him, "I'm coming with you."

Max turned to face his sister who had nearly caught up with him, "No, Isabel you need to stay here with the others."

"Max if you are going to speak with our parents then I want at least a chance to say 'Hi'." A single tear rolled down her cheek.

Nearly everyone in the room felt her pain. Kyle and Maria would give anything to be able to speak to their parents but they knew this wasn't the time. The could both understand Isabel's plea and since Max would have to contact them anyway it would only be fair she could speak to them if even for a second.

"I think you should let her Max..." Kyle said trailing off as he plopped into the empty space on the sofa where Max had been.

Maria nodded in conclusion as her eyes filled with tears.

Isabel looked at her brother heartbroken hoping that he would just give in and allow her to come, "Please Max"

Max looked around the room at the group who it seemed to be a nearly unanimous decision. The only odd one out was Michael and that was understandable since he didn't have any family back there to speak of, it didn't seem to affect him either way.

Max nodded in the direction of his sister. He glanced around the room before exiting the apartment, "We will be back..."

Near The Texas Border - January 1st, 2010 7:04pm

Max and Isabel stood at what looked like a deserted old garage and gas station. The station looked as though it hadn't been open in quite some years and was extremely run down. On the side of the building they had found a payphone. Max picked up the line to find it was dead.

"It's dead.." Max stated to Isabel.

"This is why we should have just used the one I saw at the last gas station back there." Isabel crossed her arms. Anxious to speak with her parents would be a huge understatement.

"We can't risk being anywhere we are going to be seen, no one will see us here."

"Yeah but there is not a working phone here Max." Isabel said shaking her head.

Max looked upward to following the line that came from the payphone. His eyes followed it to the top of the building where it connecting to the phone lines running along the highway.

"I can take care of that." Max said as he placed a hand on the side of the payphone. A light blue light seemed to emit from his hand. Using his hand Max picked up the receiver to check for a dial tone. He turned to his sister and gave her a nod.

"Hopefully they haven't change their number..." Max said as he dialed the very familiar phone number on the keypad.

None of them ever spoke about it but as far as they knew their parents could be anywhere, they could have even passed on. It had been six years since they had contact with them and it was hard to say what had changed. The group had all at some point sent mail to their old addresses with no return address. The letters were always very vague in nature, but it provided a little something for their parents. It was dangerous enough doing that but they were sure they were safe enough nothing ever came of it.

"Hello?" Max was jolted by the familiar voice on the phone.

"Mom?" It was funny how he thought that he would immediately kick into gear and start this long spiel as soon as he got an answer, but when the time came he needed that bit of clarification it was really her he was hearing.

"Max? Max is that you. Oh my god! Phillip hurry get in here..." Max could hear his mother frantically screaming to her husband who was obviously in another room. For the first time in a while Max face lit up. He looked back to his sister who was standing there eagerly awaiting her turn.

The bliss lasted a few seconds before he realized he had to get back to business and get the information he needed and let Isabel have the moment she wanted with her parents. Max heard his father pick up another phone as he also spoke into the phone, "Max is that you?"

"It's me. I need to get right to it... Dad I need to know where you took Zan. We need to be quick in case anyone tries to tap or trace this."

Phillip was silent a few seconds it was as though he was thinking before he replied, "It was called Good Beginnings I think.... It was in a small town just near the border. I can't remember the name of the town.."

For Max that was enough. He would have to try and find the rest out on his own. He needed to hurry now though, "Thanks. I am going to put Isabel on now she really wants to speak to you guys for a minute."

Max knew he was cutting his portion very short with his parents but it was simply because he knew it meant more to his sister who adored them. Max was about to hand the phone to his sister before speaking one last sentence.

"Thanks, I love you guys and I miss you more then you can imagine" Max felt the burning sensation in his eyes that you get as your tear ducts begin to start working. It had been a while since he cried over his parents but hearing their voices was enough to bring it all back to him again.

"Oh Max we love you too... We think of you everyday, you are still my baby. We will never lose hope in seeing you again." Diane replied through sobbing.

Phillip maintained his composure as he spoke to his only son, "Max take care of yourself and your sister. I am counting on you, I have faith in you son" Phillip's word were spoken like a truly proud father, this hit even closer to home for Max.

Max handed the phone to his sister who already had a steady stream of tears rolling from her eyes from witnessing her brothers conversation. Max stood listening to his sister speaking to her parents. Isabel spoke to her parents for approximately a minute before Max reminded her they had to keep it short. Isabel reluctantly eventually brought the conversation to a close. After hanging up the phone she began to weep uncontrollably. Max wrapped his arms around his sister and held her tight.

"I'm still here Isabel, I won't leave you."

The siblings stood there in their moment for a couple minutes both reflecting on memories of their happy family. Eventually they made their way back to the car and headed back in the direction from which they came.

Max's Apartment - January 2nd, 2010 6:35am

They had pretty much driven all night to get back. They were both tired so Isabel decided just to come stay at Max's apartment rather then head home. Max unlocked the door and as it swung open he used his hand and a usual motion to flick the light on. As the lights jumped to life in his apartment and Max's eyes adjusted he was surprised to see all of his friends camped out in his living room. Michael was the first to jump to life as he looked around slightly dazed. Maria and Kyle followed behind him as they all managed to sit themselves up quite quickly.

"We decided to wait here for you" Michael stated the obvious.

Max simply nodded.

"How'd it go?" Maria questioned yawning as she spoke.

"Good. I got the information I needed I think, I need to do a search for the company." Max said as he moved into the living room. Max needed sleep before he could head out again but right now he was determined on finding the information her needed for his journey.

Maria reached to the floor next to her and picked up the laptop that was sitting there. She handed it to Michael who handed it to Max. Max immediately flipped it open and began loading the web browser so he could do a search for the company.

Maria turned her attention to Isabel who made her way in as well. Isabel was the type of girl who never looked worse for the wear no matter what - this morning she did. It was obvious she had very little sleep and that she had been crying for quite sometime. Maria had so many questions she wanted to ask but she didn't know if now was the right time.

"Amy is still selling her alien paraphernalia and Sean moved back in with her after his divorce to keep her company, she is doing really well." Isabel said looking down to where Maria set. Isabel turned her attention to Kyle who was laid back in the lazy-boy, "Jim is back working as acting chief in Roswell. Mom and Dad said he is doing well too... he was even dating someone for a while." Isabel had made sure to use some of her time to find out tidbits for her friends. They were the ones who backed the idea of her going since they were unable to speak with their parents they were able to sympathize. "I told my parents to tell them you were both doing really well and you loved them very much. I know I made it up but..." Isabel didn't get the chance to finish before Maria bounced upward to give her a hug.

"You have no idea how much that means to me." She said gripping Isabel tightly, "Thank you, Thank you"

Kyle smiled at the thought of his father back doing what he loved so much. He nodded to Isabel as a means of thank-you.

"I found it..." Max said looking at the screen intensely as he reached for a pen and paper, "I've got the address. Michael we are gonna leave here tonight. Make sure to head home and get some rest and whatever you need to bring along."

Michael nodded.

"I'm sorry guys, I really need some sleep if I am going to leave tonight..." Max said trailing off. He would really like to sit with them for a while and converse before he made his big journey to find his son but rest was really important now and he was sure they understood that. His assumption was proved when they either nodded or verbally confirmed that they understood. Max made his way to his bedroom as the others got up from their make shift beds to make their way to the door.

Max plopped down on his bed and stared blankly at the ceiling for a moment. It was very real now, he was going to find his son. He had never thought this day would come and he was very overrun with emotion. After a few minutes of laying their staring at the ceiling Max eyes began to feel heavier and heavier. The effects of little sleep began to wear against him as he eventually drifted into a deep sleep.
Last edited by chunkmonster2 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author's Page
My Fics Below:
chunkmonster2
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Returning Normal (CC, M/L M/M I/K, TEEN) CH 6 pt 2 (26NOV09)

Post by chunkmonster2 »

Author's Notes: Wow - lots of comments this time around. I love it!
Here we have more scenes then usually but most are quicker then usual as well! Hope you enjoy.
Make sure to comment :)

begonia9508 - I should probably clarify that. Phillip was the one who dropped him off to the adoption agency so he just knows which agency Zan was accepted at... he doesn't actually know what would have come of him after that. Most likely went to a foster home for a while until an adoption could be made or something -- I think that is the standard. Stay tuned to see Kivar's move :)

nibbes2 - I thought it was nice that they finally got to speak with their parents... just unfortunate the others didn't, that's why Isabel was nice enough to pass on messages for her friends - since they stood behind her right to speak with her parents. I think Liz is going to stay put for a while... wait it out and see what happens

zaneri1 - the big comment!!:) There will be definitely more with Larek/Brody... already have a plan for him!
As for Kyle and Serena updates... read below! I like that you pointed out that about
Isabel dreamwalking Jesse because I had never took it into consideration. I might have to work something in there now.
I think Liz is trying to protect her parents with the whole scary mess that could be the future.
I don't remember where I posted this but I definitely posted it somewhere that my main goal with this story was to tie up a lot of the lose threads that were left behind (Larek, Sean, The Dupes, etc) so there is definitely a plan for the dupes in the future... one I love and I can't wait to write!!

keepsmiling7 - Max needs to figure something to say soon... because the time is nearing :| It it going to be more then tense I believe because Max only wants to ensure his safety... he doesnt want to remove him from whatever life he has so... most likely he will be trying to conceal his identity.... you will see very soon though!!
As for Liz... she is good for now... that's all I'll say lol

mary mary - I think most are curious to see what Max says to Zan.... should be coming up very very soon too!!

Chapter Six, pt 2 - I Wonder

On The Road - January 3rd, 2010 3:45pm

"So where exactly are we going?"

Michael hadn't asked too many questions when Max selected him to come along. After Max had rested they pretty much hoped in the car and hit the road. Michael didn't realize until a few hours into the drive he had no idea where their final destination was - not that it would matter.

"The adoption agency is called Good Beginning" Max replied keeping his eye on the road ahead of him.

Michael nodded and turned his attention back to the road in front of them but still spoke, "What makes you think he is still going to be there? It was like seven years ago now wasn't it? He is probably adopted by now..."

"I am not looking for him to be there, they must keep records though. From there we will have to go find him." Max had nearly thought out most of the details of the plan by now.

Michael paused a moment to take in their plan, "So..." he started pausing again to collect his thoughts, "We are going to go there and get these files. How do you propose we get the files without looking suspicious?"

Max shrugged his shoulders and looked over to Michael for a moment, "We will have to improvise. We should be there by dark so we shouldn't have any trouble breaking in."

Michael nodded his head. Most of the others wouldn't have approved of the plan but Michael never had any qualms about doing things illegally - it was kinda his specialty actually.

"You didn't ask her did you?" Max changed the subject on his friend.

"Ask what?" Michael once again looked to Max, this time with a look of confusion.

"Maria." Max stated simply before continuing on, "You didn't ask her to marry you."

Michael shook his head, "I couldn't. With everything thats going on that can't be a priority right now. I knew it was a bad idea to begin with, we can't promise them anything Max.... just look at..." Michael stopped himself before finishing the sentence. He didn't want to rub Max and Liz relationship in his face right now. The fact still remained that Max and Liz were nearly perfect together and the fact things weren't working the best for them right now terrified Michael. It terrified Michael because he didn't like the thought of losing Maria.

Max knew what Michael was eluding to, "It doesn't have to be complicated Michael. You just have to make it work, I was actually planning on heading out to find Liz. When she left she left because she was scared and she didn't know what to do. I let her leave because at the time I was angry and confused. I have been waiting for her to come back and then I realized that waiting was not the right choice. If this hadn't all happened with Kivar I would be out here looking for Liz right now."

Michael just listened to Max without saying anything.

Michael's mind then drifted elsewhere. "What are you going to tell him?"

Max maintained his focused forward on the road, "I don't know. I haven't really thought about it yet. I am hoping there is just some way of making all this right."

The last thing Max wanted to do was take him from a loving home. He hoped that it would only be temporary and that he would be able to think of a way of returning him safely when this was all over so he could continue his life. After all he wasn't even like them, Tess had told them he was completely human - he deserved to live a human life.

Crashdown Cafe - January 3rd, 2010 4:57pm

Liz sat out back in the small lounge like area for the employees. Not much had come of the sighting in Roswell, they searched for any evidence of a crash but there wasn't anything. There were still a few news reporters around and tons of enthusiasts but for the most part it was already beginning to die down. Liz had been feeling a bit better, she hadn't had spell in a while which was definitely a good sign.

Liz had been debating on what to do since the sighting in Roswell. Part of her wanted to return but her gut feeling was really telling her to stay put. No one knew she was in Roswell anyway except for her parents of course.

"Jeff? Nancy? Aunt Amy wanted me to stop by and drop this stuff off for....." the swinging door to the back lounge area swung open too quickly for Liz to react. She heard the person coming but it was too late now she had been spotted.

In the doorway Sean Deluca, his jaw dropped to the floor along with the box he had for delivery.

"Liz..?" he questioned as though it couldn't be possible.

Liz didn't know how to react.

"Liz, your back? Where are the others? Is Maria here?" Sean slowly made his way across the room toward where Liz sat.

Liz still remained silent.

"Liz say something..." Sean pleaded with her.

***10 Minutes Later***

Liz brought Sean upstairs to talk, she didn't want to risk getting seen by anyone else.

"Are you going to say anything or are we just going to sit here in silence?" Sean teased her, which he followed up with a friendly smile.

Liz smiled back at her old friend and former fling, "It's just awkward it's been so long... I don't even know where to start. I don't know how much you know..." Liz knew that the journal had been forwarded on to Amy to try and give some closure on why her daughter left.

Sean took a deep breath before speaking, he placed his hands on his knees and pushed himself up off the bed so he could pace as he spoke "Well I know that you all ran away after graduation. I also know that it has to do with some sort of alien secrecy. Aunt Amy believes in it, she said it made the three years prior make more sense."

"And what do you believe?"

Sean laughed and rubbed his head, still pacing he continued "I don't know. It all is pretty far fetched to me. Aliens are a hard for me to believe in, even if it is Roswell. But maybe those special powers are why I could never win you over from that Max kid huh?"

Liz chuckled at his comment, "I think there was more then that."

Sean found his way back to the bed and sat next to Liz, "I have to ask Liz... Why are you back and not the others?"

Liz knew the question would be coming eventually. It would be odd that she came back and not the others, in particular Maria who Sean would surely be interested in returning. Liz shrugged her shoulders, "It's complicated."

Sean nodded his head. Things always seemed to be complicated with her situation. Sean left it alone as he knew he wouldn't get anywhere with it, "How is Maria? Is she alright?"

"She's good, she's really good. She is still with Michael and they have a beautiful relationship."

Sean smiled. It was comforting to know that his cousin was doing well.

"Sean..." Liz leaned in closer to be in his direct line of vision, "I know you probably want to tell Amy that I am here and that Maria is fine and all that but..."

Sean nodded, "I can't.. I know..."

"It's complicated." the both said together followed by a smile from either party.

"I really need to get back now though Amy has some other deliveries she needs me to do. You know whenever there is sightings her stuff starts selling like hot-cakes!"

Liz laughed at the comment. It was true, the whole town went nuts when there was a sighting.

"Maybe I'll see you again. I mean we could hang out if you want?" Sean offered as a simple suggestion.

"I don't know..." Liz said hesitantly. She thought it would be good for her to have someone to hang out with but it would be slightly awkward given her and Sean's past. It just wasn't something that felt entirely right.

"Well I'll be around... Here I'll give you my cell number..." Sean said standing from the bed to grab a piece of paper and pen. Sean quickly jotted down his number and handed it back to Liz.

"Thanks." Liz replied after she was handed the small piece of paper.

Sean made his way to her bedroom door, from here he turned his attention back to her one last time to say goodbye, "I'll see ya around Liz, take care."

Sean pulled open the door that was slightly a jar and exited the room pulling the door closed behind him.

Liz sat there with the piece of paper in her hand. She looked down at the number and considered the possibility of calling Sean in the future. She had a huge feeling of overwhelming guilt just thinking about it. She wasn't even sure where things with Max stood right now but she knew for sure the last thing she would want him doing was hanging out with someone he was romantically connected with before.

Liz felt that strange feeling that happened right before her episodes started. She noticed her veins illuminate green again in her hands. Everytime this began to happen it was as if something was plugged into her and was sending huge charges of energy through her body. Liz closed her eyes as she tried to force the energy out of her body. Her body tensed and then became weak from the energy surge through her body. She heard a loud crack followed by what sounded like a small explosion. Liz opened her eyes to see the lamp just across from her had exploded.

"What the hell is happening?" she questioned outloud.

Good Beginning's Adoption Agency - January 3rd, 2010 10:47pm

Max was already standing out of the car observing the building. Michael quickly made his way from the car to where Max stood.

"So we get in and get out." Michael said pulling the black winter mask down over his head. They both had already placed gloves on their hands so that there was no finger prints left behind that could be traced.

"I just need his folder. I need his information." Max said pulling his mask down over his face.

"Is it smart to take that though? Won't they trace it back to you?" Michael questioned

"I was not listed as his father, there is no way they would trace it back to me." Max said shaking his head as he began to make his way toward the building.

The location listing that Max had taken from the internet was for it's main office. There was indeed a sign above the door that stated the name of the adoption agency. It would most likely be here that they would hold all the records about children who were placed in their care and then whom they were adopted to once they found a family. Max peered in the window to try and get an idea of what they were dealing with here. Motioning with his hand for Michael to come closer max placed his hand on the door to unlock it. After only seconds the lock gave way and the door began to open. Nearly instantly there was the sound of an alarm requiring a code before it alerted the police. Michael made his way in quickly and to the wall where the alarm was. Michael tried stopping it but had no luck. He turned to Max quickly, they would only have a few more seconds to deactivate it before it would alert the authorities.

"You can do it Michael" Max said nodding toward his friend. Max had faith in Michael's ability, he just sometimes needed reassurance.

Michael closed his eyes and placed his hand over the alarm system again. A warm red light began to emit from his hand before the light on the alarm switched to green and made one last sound to acknowledge it had been disabled.

Max simply nodded in Michael's direct when he finished.

"Come on Michael, let's get this as fast as possible. We don't need to be here any longer then needed."

The pair of them began going through file cabinets around the office. Most things like this were stored on computer databases by now but Max hope was that they would still have the paper trail from back when the adoption was made. The pair of the frantically opened and closed several drawers trying to find the information they needed but also trying not to make it obvious that the files had been gone through.

"Max I think I found something..." Michael shouted from the other side of the room.

Max closed the cabinet he had been searching through and made a mental note of where he had been. Max made his way across the room to the side that Michael was checking and stood next to him to look at the file. It was official adoption paperwork but belonged to another child.

"It must be in this cabinet right?" Michael questioned, "What name should we look under?"

Max shook his head trying to remember what his parents had said they would do all those years ago. Surprisingly the information came back to him quicker then he thought.

"Zan Harding, I think they put him down as Zan Harding"

They began opening the cabinet drawers trying to find the section label with "H". After the section was found they moved quickly to the back where it was no surprise that Zan was the last alphabetically stored there.

"It's here Michael, It's here. Let's get out of here." Max said hurriedly. The pair of them finished closing the other cabinet drawers and made a quick scan around the room to make sure everything looked as normal as possible. Michael made his way back to the alarm system where this time her had no trouble resetting it. Quickly he jogged back to where Max was waiting for him by the door with the file in hand.

"Let's go." Max pulled the door shut behind Michael and placed his hand over the lock again resetting it in place. Max peered through the window to make sure the light on the alarm turned red again notifying it had been reset. Once this was confirmed they were free to go. Max and Michael made their way to the car. Michael hoped in the passengers side this time allowing Max to take a break from driving and giving him time to scan through the file. Before Max hopped into the passengers side he paused and scanned around the seemingly empty area.

"Max, come on... get in" Michael shouted from the car.

Max had a very strange feeling come across his and couldn't shake it immediately. After another gaze out across the scene in front of him he shook the thought from his head and hopped into the car. Michael whipped the car around and exited the small parking lot heading back down the highway.

After the car disappeared into the darkness a figure appeared from the side of the building. The frame of the figure was very small. It stood there only for a minute before disappearing back into the darkness

Just Us Cafe - January 4th, 2010 11:45am

Serena had expected a busier morning. By now the New Year was over and most likely everyone would be back into their routines and the cafe should have picked up again. Apparently she had assessed the situation wrong because there had barely been anyone in. Serena was on alone this morning which was nice because then when customers actually showed up it gave her something to do. After full out boredom set in Serena decided to go about scrubbing down all the tables since they could always use an extra clean. Just as it always was no sooner then did she start then the familiar sound of the bell chimed meaning someone had entered the cafe.

Serena spoke lightly and friendly, "I'll be right with you" she said without checking to see who had entered the cafe. Serena simply finished wiping that table down before she popped her head up to see who had entered the cafe. She was a bit surprised to see Abigail.

Serena's heart skipped a beat when she saw Abigail standing there at the main counter. After everything that had happened with Duke over the holiday this might not be a good visit at all. Serena found it very hard to swallow as every bit of moisture seemed to dry up from within her mouth and throat. She made her way over to the counter quicker then she would normally to serve Abigail. She forced a smile across her face even though she was feeling fear.

"What can I get for you today Abby?" she questioned without making eye contact.

Isabel could feel the tension in the air from Serena. Truthfully Isabel didn't really know what to think of Serena but she was going to put all her person opinions aside. Without telling anyone the difference Isabel had used a picture developed from their Christmas dinner to walk through Serena's dreams the night before. Most of it was the boring usual stuff except for one portion of it. Serena had a dream sequence which involved her being alone and scared. Isabel followed her about the dream and eventually the mood of the dream shifted. In the dream Serena found Kyle who she seemed to be comforted by. In the dream Serena admitted to Kyle, or Duke as she referred to him, that she too had feelings for him. She admitted that for the first time in a long time she felt like she had made a connection with someone. The dream spoke volumes to how Serena actually felt about Kyle. Unfortunately the dreams also spoke to how she felt about Isabel, rather Abigail as she knew her. In the dream Isabel watched as her image appeared and Serena lost all hope of being with Kyle as Isabel called from him to come along with her.

"I need to talk to you actually..." Isabel said bluntly.

Serena now found it impossible to swallow.

Isabel took a seat on one of the stools and patted for Serena to come around and take a seat next to her.

Serena tried to avoid the situation as best as possible. She shook her head from side to side and managed to spit out a couple words, "I really shouldn't... it's ah... I am busy."

Isabel scrunched her brow and looked about the empty cafe before turning back to Serena. Isabel leaned in a little closer as though it were a secret, "There's nobody here..." she said squaring an eye and speaking a little lighter then normal.

Serena froze. She didn't know what to do. She paused and stared at Abigail for a moment before she decided to simply break and tell her everything before this escalated any further.

"I don't know what you know or think.... but it just happened fast and it meant nothing. We only kissed and I told him immediately after that I was not that person. I am so sorry, I had no idea this was going to happen and I just want you to know I am so, so sorry..."

Isabel should have expected she would break like this, since in her dream she was so terrified of Isabel finding out the truth.

"But you like him right?" Isabel questioned.

Serena was not about to admit to someone that she had feelings for their boyfriend. Serena simply shook her head no.

Isabel knew the difference or else she wouldn't even be here. She wasn't sure what she was going to say yet but she was going to make up something as she went.

"Serena.... Duke and I aren't together." Isabel stated simply.

Serena looked at her in total confusion, "But..."

Isabel cut her off before she was able to say anything more, "Nothing. We are not together, we are simply friends. I was going through some things in my life and one thing led to another... anyway I don't want to get into that." Isabel had nothing to get into actually, she was making it up as she was going because surely she couldn't tell Serena the truth. Isabel took a deep breath before continuing with her lie, "I needed someone to be there and Kyle was because he is a great friend and a great person. He moved in with me to help me pay my bills. Look bottom line is the situation arose that I would benefit from having a boyfriend.... which was something I had lack of at the time. Since Kyle was living with me it seemed like the natural thing to do was use his name for this purpose. And you know once you start a lie its like falling down a rabbit hole" Isabel laughed, by now she was completely lost herself in what she was saying. "Kyle couldn't tell you the truth because I swore him to secrecy. I know he really likes you and I think you like him too and thats not something I want to stand in the way of."

"This isn't something illegal is it?" Serena questioned with a raised brow, "Because I really can't afford to..."

Isabel laughed. If she only had any idea, "Of course not." Isabel said contradicting her thoughts. "It's over now anyway. I am just sorry that you didn't know sooner."

Serena simply nodded to acknowledge what she had said. She was entirely thrown off by all this. She didn't know how she felt about the situation.

Isabel stood from her seat, "I am going to get going now, have to get back to work." Isabel headed toward the door, but a few steps into it she stopped and turned to face Serena, "I know it's confusing and weird and all that. I know you probably have a hundred questions but try not to hold it against him. He wasn't the one that caused this he got dragged into it, he really is a good person. Just try not to let it affect your judgement of him."

This was probably about the most true statement spoken. Although the backstory was completely different Kyle truly hadn't asked for this and had been involved without choice.

Isabel exited the diner leaving Serena with plenty of time on her hands to think about the latest development.
Author's Page
My Fics Below:
chunkmonster2
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Returning Normal (CC, M/L M/M I/K, TEEN) CH 6 pt 3 (27NOV09)

Post by chunkmonster2 »

Author's Notes: Okay so when I really get into a certain part of the storyline I kinda can't stop until it is given some sort of conclusion. Anyways, pt 3 is here already....... So hope you enjoy.... remember as per usual...

like it, love it, hate it, whatever... just enjoy and comment...

Comments:

nibbles2 - I also agree with your opinion on Isabel doing what is right... I think it was a very nice thing she done for him... but it might have come with consequences from not doing it right as you will see :) I can't let it off that easily lol
You will find out who was watching all too soon -- well maybe not too soon cause it is a little ways off... but you will find out nonetheless
I agree with the Sean thing, obviously he would be happy to see Liz but I think a huge part of his concern would be placed on his cousin. I actually wanted to write him asking more about Maria but it seemed redundant for me to write everything out about her life which you've already read once... but in my mind he would want to know everything... I just shortened it up for writing purposes.

begonia9508 - You'll have to wait and see who was at the orphanage... can't tell yet ;) gotta keep the suspense alive!
Definitely stay tuned on the Liz thing too... there will be more development next chapter for sure!!

Chapter Six, pt 3 - I Wonder

On the road - January 4th, 2010 12:03pm

"So I don't really understand.." Michael said between bites of his sub.

They had found a hotel the night before and decided to call it a night. There Max went through the file several times even though there was very little information.

Michael had passed out quite easily but Max found himself up most of the night. The short story of the information was that Zan had spent the first few years of his life with a foster family who had intentions of adopting him legally. When he was nearly four years old something happened financially for the family that were taking care of him and they were forced to relinquish care. He was residing in Texas at the time so he became a ward of the state and was placed in an orphanage. The record hadn't been updated since then which left three years unaccounted for. Max wondered if this meant that he was still in the orphanage or whether they would have more files on where he was. In his head he had always just imagined he was adopted into a loving and caring home like him and Isabel had been and that he was living life to the fullest. Looking over at his best friend laying in the bed next to him brought him back to the reality of foster homes and adoption; sometimes it didn't always turn out to be a fairytale.

"I don't really know either." Max said staring blankly off in the distance still pondering all the different possibilities. "I guess it just means that we head to this orphanage and check out the situation."

Michael quickly finished his lunch. Michael nodded his head and began talking while still chewing his food, "So whats the plan here? Another break in?"

Max had also thought about this last night. They had been very careful at the adoption agency but there was no guarantees that someone wouldn't notice something was off. If they did it was likely that they wouldn't necessarily notice the file gone right away. However, if they were to go to the orphanage which had files on Zan as well and break in it was possible that the two incidents could be linked if anyone found out. Max had thought of another possible alternative but really it was stretching things.

"I had something a little different in mind.." he said shifting only his eyes over in Michael's direction.

Michael raised his brow, "Meaning..."

"When I was being held by the FBI and you and Nacedo needed to break in he chose you to help with the morphing." Max has always assumed that Nacedo knew more about their powers then they did and that it was possible that Michael was a potential candidate to be a morph-er even in this human form. "I was thinking that maybe you could channel your energy and be able to do that again... just on a bigger scale."

Michael's head jutted backward as though he heard something disturbing. To him it seemed absolutely ludicrous that Max would suggest Michael do something of this nature, after all they all knew that Isabel and Max had always been in more control of their powers then him. "Max... that was years ago and I copied a simple fingerprint. I almost never got it done either. Why don't you try it."

Max had more faith in Michael then Michael himself would ever be able to comprehend, "I wish I could Michael but I don't even know how to channel it. You had Nacedo there with you to teach you; you have done it before. You just need to concentrate and I know you could do it. You could pose as someone following up on the file from Good Beginnings."

Michael shook his head back and forth, "No way Maxwell, no way. Let's just pretend for a second I even remember what it is to do that, how would I ever make the step from a fingerprint to a whole image."

"You need to believe Michael... that has always been your problem. Even back at the adoption agency you went in there not believing you could do it. Others have to show their faith in you because you have never had faith in yourself. I need you to do this for me. I know I have asked a lot of you in the time we have known each other so if you can't do it for me then do it for Zan. You remember what it was like for us as children to have this secret. Just imagine what is like for him, he doesn't even know he is not like all the other children and now he potentially had aliens after him." Max stood from his seat and chucked his half eaten dinner in the garbage bin next to him.

Max began making his way to the car in the parking lot.

Michael sat for a few minutes thinking about what Max had said. Maybe this was his time to shine, to prove that he really was in control - but could he really remember what he did that day to morph his thumb print and if he did would he be able to manipulate it into a whole image. Michael shook his head to loosen the thoughts so he could catch up to Max. Michael hoped up from the picnic table leaving behind his garbage as he jogged to catch up to Max.

"So say I do this... I try this, what then?" Michael question when he finally caught up to Max. "Have you thought about this Max. He could still be there, he might be at that very orphanage. Do you remember what it was like at those places Max?" Michael made his way in front of his friend to block his path and stop him for his full attention. "Cause I do. I remember what it's like to wait and hope that someone is going to come along and make everything right. I never got that, you and Isabel did.

Max what happened when we take him and he wants answers? Can you really deny him that knowing what it was like to be us growing up?"

Max felt a rush of overwhelming emotion. These were all thoughts he was trying to temporarily avoid until he was placed in the situation. It terrified him to even think that his son had never got the home he deserved or worse that he could end up in a home someday like Michael. It also terrified him the thought of admitting to being his father and explaining his motives for abandonment. Max remembered what it was like to feel abandoned and it didn't really matter what your parents say because you were still the one who was left. This was all too much for him to deal with, this part of his past never seemed to go away.

"I don't know Michael, I just... I can't think about this right now. I can't have my judgement clouded right now. I need to find my son and keep him from harm I will figure out the rest later." Max pushed past Michael. He realized Michael's motives, it was simply to prepare him but Max was finding it hard to deal with right now.

Not wanting to show that his emotions were getting the best of him Max attempted at wiping the tears from his eyes without Michael seeing.

Michael watched Max continue toward the car, "Get ready Maxwell, cause later is coming very soon."

Just Us Cafe - January 4th, 2010 1:13pm

Kyle had completely given up on the notion of talking to Serena. The whole situation was a mess with her and with the impending danger of Kivar it didn't seem like anything was going to let up and allow for any change anytime soon. Kyle was heading to the cafe for dinner and for the first time in a while he found himself hoping that Serena wasn't working. If it weren't for the fact that Kyle enjoyed the cafe and it was pretty much the best food in town he wouldn't even be going there.

Kyle nearly turned around and walked back in the direction he came when he reached the door of the cafe. He had paused a moment to look through the glass of the door to see none other then Serena working; and she was working alone. Kyle hesitated with his hand on the door for a moment. He debated only for a few seconds on whether or not to go in. He made his mind to try somewhere else just a moment to late. Serena caught glimpse of him standing in the doorway about to enter and at that point it

became to late for him to leave. Kyle tugged on the door to pull it open, holding it as an elderly couple exited before entering and finding his way to his usual booth.

It wasn't really busy in there so Kyle assumed the wait wouldn't be very long but it was going to feel like an eternity sitting there waiting for Serena to attend to him. If anything Kyle just hoped she dropped the whole situation and that way it could go back to before everything happened the day after Christmas, before the kiss and things could just not be awkward. Kyle stared straight ahead but he could see the outline of her from the corner of his eye heading in his direction.

Serena slid the menu in front of Kyle, "Can I get you anything to drink to start?" she questioned automatically.

"I'll just have water." Kyle said without making eye contact with her.

Serena paused a moment waiting for Kyle to turn and make conversation with her but there was nothing. Serena shrugged it off and made her way back behind the counter to pour him a glass of water. She glanced from behind the counter over to where he sit to see if he was looking in her direction but he wasn't. If she didn't know any better he was doing his best to simply have as little contact with her as possible. Serena was really confused. Obviously he sent Abigail in here earlier to clear everything up so he could have a chance with her and now he was avoiding even eye contact with her. Was this all some sort of weird game of his to toy with her emotions. Truthfully Serena wished she could just avoid the whole mess but the Abigail had been very right - Serena had feelings toward him. It was more then just a crush, cause crushes she could generally get over quite easy. They had made a connection. He was the first person since she had gotten into the mess with the drugs to just accept her for who she was now. Serena scoffed as she headed back in his direction.

"Here ya go" she said in a perky voice hoping to pull his attention toward her. "Are you ready to order or do you need a little more time?"

"I need a few minutes..." he stated in a very monotone voice, still without making eye contact with her. In his mind she would still most likely not want anything to do with him.

Serena took a couple steps away before her emotion got the best of her. She took a couple steps backward and stood next to the booth. She reached over and placed a hand on the top of the booth and tapped her fingers waiting for him to look up and make eye contact.

Kyle hesitantly looked up at her to meet. He was met with exactly what he expected... a glare.

"I don't get it.... is this some sort of game?" Serena questioned managing her voice level and tone to not come across anything but professional to customers who may be able to hear her.

Kyle scrunched his face and shook his head, "What do you mean? You said you didn't want anything to do with me, I am just following what you asked."

Serena huffed again as she placed her hands on her hips, "I don't get it. You send Abigail in here to clear up this whole situation for you and now you won't even look at me. What do you want from me Duke?"

"Abigail? What? I have no idea what your talking about.... I didn't ask her to come in here." Kyle was confused. Would Isabel really have come in here to try and clear things up for him and Serena? It just didn't seem to make sense she was the one who cautioned him the most about letting her in.

"You know what... forget it. Forget it all because I am done trying to figure you out. When your ready to place your order let me know." Serena made her way away from the booth leaving Kyle sitting there just as confused as ever. Kyle decided to get to the bottom of this right now, he was done playing these games to. He pushed

himself from the inside of the booth outward and stood. Kyle quickly made his way to the front door and exited the cafe without another word with Serena. First he would deal with Isabel and find out what she said before he even attempted at talking to Serena again.

St Mary's Orphanage - January 5th, 2010 10:34am

"I can't do this." Michael slammed his hands against the dash of the car in frustration.

They had arrived in the town where the orphanage was located the night prior. Michael had begun trying focus his energy into doing a morph. He accomplished the fingerprint morph after only a couple tries, it was if the persons DNA was still in him. Michael had tried hours the night before to get himself to take on the form of that FBI worker which he assumed would be easier since he had already had used his DNA before. Max and Michael had been up since about six this morning and Michael had been trying hard ever since.

"I just can't do it, I've tried as hard as I possibly can. We are just going to have to wait until tonight and then break in again." Michael was really beyond frustrated. He truly had tried very hard to make the transition, he wanted to do it to prove it to Max and himself he could.

Max nodded his head. All he asked of Michael was that he try it. Max had watched him struggle to try and accomplish his goal all morning and he had not really made a breakthrough yet. There was once or twice that a bright light began to emit from Michael's entire body but nothing had happened.

"You tried Michael and that's all that matters" Max reached over and patted him on the shoulder. "We will wait until tonight."

Michael placed his face in his hands. He had nearly admitted defeat as usual. Michael had a rush of images flash through his mind. It started from his childhood and progressed onward to all the times he had attempted and failed and simply walked away without giving it another thought. In fact in Michael's flash of the past he didn't see anything he had ever really accomplished - surely there were things but the majority of things he had just given hp on. Michael lifted his head from his hands. Today would be different, Michael would not admit defeat.

"Get out of the car Max..." he said firmly.

Max turned his attention Michael, "What, why?"

"Just get out of the car Maxwell, don't ask questions." Michael said forcefully.

Max reached for the car door handle and opened it, he slid out from the car and closed the door behind him. Max wasn't really sure what Michael was doing but something told him just to listen for once. Max stood outside the car and glanced around trying to fill the time while Michael went through whatever it was he was doing.

Michael closed his eyes very gently. The silence helped him clear his mind as he moved his thoughts back to the day with Nacedo. The world around Michael went silent as he concentrated all energy in his body on becoming the person whose DNA seemed to be a part of his own now. Both Michael's hands instinctively raised palms outward in front of him. His eyes tightened shut as he felt the a shifting within his body. It wasn't exactly pain that he was feeling but it wasn't a feeling of comfort. The white light began to emit from his body but this time brighter then before.

Outside the car Max attention was turned back to the car when the bright light began shining so brightly he could no longer see Michael. Max reached for the door handle but as soon as he did the door locked switched shut. "Michael... Michael" Max yelled as he tugged on the door. Max attempted at using his powers to unlock the doors but something was stopping him from doing it.... Michael was stopping him.

It felt like everything inside and outside of Michael was shifting. The white light slowly began to dim and Michael felt the energy slowly begin to die down. Michael's hands dropped down from their odd position and his eyes shot open. Michael gasped for air and the power that he had over the door-locks seemed to let go.

Max opened the car door and crawled halfway in toward Michael. Michael turned to Max, "I am sorry, I really tried that time."

Max looked on at Michael in a total state of shock, "Look in the mirror" These were the only words Max could manage to find in his total disbelief.

Michael flipped down the mirror of the car to see an entirely different face staring back at him.

***10 Minutes Later***

"I can't believe this worked!" Michael said completely in shock.

The pair of them had moved from the car to just across the street from the small orphanage.

"Okay well you have got to hurry, we don't know how long this will last. Here take this file. Tell them you are here for an update on Zan's file... make up some reason just tell them something. Try and find out where he is now."

Michael nodded and grabbed the folder. Michael headed across the street and disappeared into the building.

Max stood across the street waiting for Michael to return. It was taking longer then Max had expected. Max decided to venture across the street and trying walking by casually looking into the window to see if he could see anything. Once across the street Max realized he couldn't see anything within the building from the front windows. Max made his way around the corner of the building to see if there was any way he could see in from there. Once he made his way around the corner he noticed a fenced in playground near the back of the building. Curiosity got the best of Max as he moved in closer and closer toward the playground. The children were all outside playing. Max had flashes of memories form his childhood and the very short time he spent there until Diane and Phillip adopted him and Isabel. The children here looked happy and carefree. Max was lost in daze looking at the children as they ran free on the playground, but something snapped him back to reality in a hurry.

"Who are you?" a soft little voice questioned.

Max looked down and just in front of him stood a small blonde boy. Max hadn't realized how close he got and now he had drawn attention to himself. Max began to turn his body to head away from the playground when the voice spoke again, and these words would stop him dead in his tracks.

"I knew you would come for me. I have had this image of you in my head for as long as I can remember, who are you?"

Max felt a chill shoot up his spine and his body froze in mid walking motion. Max slowly forced his body around to look at the source of the voice one last time. This time Max didn't ignore the obvious. The boy was an image of his mother, there was no denying it. The memory Max planted in him all those years ago must have stuck and he recognized his face. Max's jaw dropped as he stared into his son's very blue eyes for the first time in seven years.

"Zan?" Max muttered barely audible.

Photo of Zan...
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x137 ... kFtZTc.jpg
Author's Page
My Fics Below:
chunkmonster2
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Returning Normal (CC, M/L M/M I/K, TEEN) CH 6 pt 4 (27NOV09)

Post by chunkmonster2 »

Author's Note: Found time to finish up two main scenes of pt 4... So I decided to post them. There will still most likely be another one or two parts of pt 4 to come since there a few more scenes I need to deal with before the end of this chapter... but since the next while is gonna be busy I figured it might be easier to work on a couple scenes at a time.... anyways here ya go...

as always lemme know what ya think!

Chapter 6, pt 4.1 - I Wonder

St Mary's Orphanage - January 5th 2010 10:48am

A simple nod came as the answer that Max was dreading from the little boy.

The boy that was now standing such a short distance from him was his long lost son. Max and Zan stood a few meters from each other just staring into each others eyes,

each trying to figure the other out. Max had so many questions and he was sure that Zan had even more. The memory that Max placed in Zan had obviously stuck with him.

Max had meant for it to be more of a comforting memory for him as a small child that he assumed would fade quickly after Zan found his family.

Max wanted to move or even speak but his body felt frozen. There was a couple minutes of silence before either party even spoke. Surprisingly the unwavered boy was

the first to speak again.

"You have come here for me, right? I am going to be coming with you?" Zan questioned Max.

Max furrowed his brow processing what the boy was saying. How was it possible that Zan knew that Max was coming for him. Had Max made a mistake by planting that memory

in his son? Had this single memory led to the boy believing that Max was inevitably coming for him, something that wouldn't have necessarily happened under other

circumstances. Max attempted at wetting his lips but his entire mouth had dried. How was it that such a little boy had more courage to speak then Max did right now.

Unfortunately Max wouldn't get time to speak. Neither of them noticed that one of the grounds watchers had noticed Zan speaking to a stranger on the other side of the

fence, nor had they noticed her approaching. It wasn't until she spoke that either of them turned their previously unfaltering glance to the stern face of the older

woman looking back and forth between them. Finally her stare narrowed in on Max who was obviously the intruder of the situation.

"What are you doing back here? You really shouldn't be back here." she said in an even harsher tone then one would expect from the stern look on her face.

Max couldn't believe he allowed himself to be seen, now he had compromised everything. If Zan went missing from the orphanage now they would surely be on the look out for him because he was seen near the playground conversing with him. They would have to think of some plan and think of it soon.

Max took a couple steps backward from Zan and the playground watcher. Max held his hands up in the universal "I mean no harm" position as he managed to find words to try and fix the situation, "Sorry, I was just lost. I am going now."

The woman continued staring at him with her stern glare, uncrossing and recrossing her arms for added effect. Max started to turn his body away from them to head in the opposite direction but before he did he noticed the look of desperation in Zan's eyes. Max recognized the look in the boys eyes. He had been obviously waiting for this day to come for a long time and now it was slowly slipping away from him.

"No.... wait" Zan yelled reaching a hand upward toward the fence in Max's direction. The look on Zan's face broke Max's heart more then anyone could understand. Max felt the burning sensation fill his eyes as they began to well with tears. Max couldn't find the strength to turn himself away from the boy who looked at him so desperately.

Although Max didn't want to turn away from Zan, there wasn't much he could do. What was he going to do, march up to the woman and claim he needed to take him away? Claim it be his father? None of it would work, he was helpless. Max stood there feeling utterly useless, but something about Zan's attitude caught his attention. Zan had dropped his head in an almost bowing position. He seemed to be unconnected from Max now. Max raised a brow as he looked on at the boy who seemed to be concentrating hard on something.

All of a sudden the woman's facial expression changed drastically as she looked up and over the fence and in the direction of Max, the only difference was now she appeared to be staring right through him as though he was not there. Max looked onward at her confused as she began to shout out loud, "Zan get back here right now. Where are you going get back here right now!" The woman was waving frantically in Max's direction but calling to the boy who was standing on the right side of her. Max was more confused then ever.

Max's eyes darted back to the young boy who now tilted his head back in an upright position. The boy quickly looked up to the woman before looking back to Max and extending both hands upward toward the top of the fence. It would all make sense in a matter of moments.

"Hurry, Hurry... I can't hold it long, she will be able to see you again if you don't hurry." Zan cried out to Max as he looked over his shoulder to make sure no one was in earshot to hear what he was saying.

Max had heard those words before, something tweaked his memory. 'I can't hold it long' replayed through Max's mind what seemed like a thousand times within only seconds. Finally his memory pin-pointed where he had heard it before. It was something Tess said very often when she was attempting at holding a difficult mind-warp. Max eyes widened as he looked back at his son. Was it possible? Did Zan possess the same power as his mother? Tess had assured them when she came back the reason he was not accepted on Antar was because he was entirely human -- so it would make this impossible.

"Please..." Zan called out again to Max, hoping to persuade him for assistance over the fence.

Max snapped back to reality. He quickly sprung into action and ran in the direction of the boy. Max lifted him with ease above the fence as the woman headed off in the opposite direction, most likely to make her way outside to chase the illusion that Zan had created. Max gently set the boy on the ground next to him and instinctively took his hand. Max glanced down toward him and quickly questioned, "What did you do?"

With complete trust the boy let Max in on his power, "I made it look like I hopped the fence and ran away. She has no memory of you being there now. We need to leave quickly before she gets out here and catches us."

Max listened to the words from the boy. It was as though he had planned this before, but surely it was spur of the moment. Max couldn't believe he was about to do this but he took direction from the child. Holding tightly on his hand as they both fled from the side of the orphanage. Once the reached the end of the building near the street Max looked down at Zan.

"Can you do it again?" he questioned.

Zan looked up and nodded without the slightest inkling of hesitation.

"Make it so the people on the street don't see you, we need to get to the car across the street in that parking lot without anyone seeing you." Max knew he was putting a lot of faith in the boy but there was really no other choice. Max had Zan in his grasp now and thus far they were covered, they just needed to ensure they could get to the car without being seen.

Zan tilted his head again and looked as though he were meditating. Max could feel the boys energy flowing through his hand that was gripped in his. The boys grip tightened as he seemed to be working hard to pull through it. Max gripped back on the boys hand as added assurance.

Zan looked up and gave a nod.

"Quick let's go." Max stated as the pair of them darted across the street, down the side walk and up the small bank to the parking lot Michael and Max had parked in. Max unlocked the back door to allow Zan to crawl in. Max hopped into the drivers seat and locked the doors.

"Stay low, we need to wait for my friend then we can leave." Max informed Zan.

The boy seemed to be unconcerned, he only seemed to hold one main concern still.

"Who are you?" he questioned from the back seat, looking up at the rear view mirror to meet Max's eyes.

Max tried hard to swallow but his throat and mouth had instantly dried again. It was this that Michael had been trying to prepare him for, this moment when he should be explaining things to his son.... this very moment he was not nearly ready for.

Max stared back into the eyes of the boy and found the only words he could use right in this moment, "Just don't worry, I am here to look after you. I'm going to be your protector, your friend." Truthfully that is all Max would be to the boy. To be a father was more then just being half of the genetic make-up. This was something Max had learned through a very long process of maturing. For a long time Max thought a father was the person who donated half of your genetics, until he realized the man who raised him was his true father and had not been part of genetic equation at all.

As soon as Michael returned they could head back to Louisiana and try to figure out their next step.... something Max had not considered yet.

Kyle and Isabel's Apartment - January 5th, 2010 10:57am

Isabel had spent the night prior at her brother's apartment. She had initially headed there only to wait a short time to see if Max would return. Isabel was anxiously awaiting the return of her brother, so when she got to the apartment she began cleaning to pass the time. Eventually she had cleaned Max's apartment spotless but he still hadn't returned. She wasn't sure how long to expect them to be gone for, so after contacting Maria and finding out she had no contact yet Isabel decided to spend the night at Max's apartment since they would most likely head there when they returned.

After awaking the next morning and realizing he had not come home in the night, Isabel decided to head back to her apartment to get ready for work later that afternoon. When Isabel entered her apartment she was almost instantly greeted with what looked like a slightly irritated Kyle.

"Where have you been?" Kyle snapped quickly.

"I spent the night at Max's apartment, I thought they might come home in the night and I wanted to be there when they did." she replied. She should have let Kyle know but generally he wasn't this concerned about her whereabouts unless there was something suspicious going on.

"You could have let me know."

Isabel nodded her head, "I know Kyle, I just got there and then I started to get nervous about where they were. I started cleaning and I just completely forgot... okay" Isabel pushed her way further into the apartment slightly annoyed.

"You can't just do stuff like that Isabel, remember we are suppose to work as a team here." Kyle was obviously beginning to elude to the conversation that Isabel had obvious had with Serena.

Isabel was getting angry with Kyle. Not knowing that he was speaking on more then just the current topic, she snapped back at him quickly, "What is your problem Kyle? Why are you attacking me over something so small?" Isabel scoffed and rolled her eyes as she began to make her way off to the bedroom to change her clothing. Isabel stopped in her tracks when Kyle continued on with the conversation.

Kyle's temper was now beginning to flare. He was taking his anger out about the Serena situation through the current situation and without warning switched the topic at hand, "What is your deal anyways, Why would you just go and talk to her without even telling me first?"

Isabel whipped her body around to face Kyle again who was a few paces away from her, with a confused look and vigorously shaking her head she questioned "What are you taking about?"

"Serena." Kyle replied crossing his arms and staring back.

Isabel shook her head again as a sarcastic laugh passed her lips, "This is what this is all about? Wake up Kyle I did you a favor."

Kyle shook his head and took a couple steps forward, "And when were you going to let me in on this, before or after I confused her even more then she already was."

"I don't see what the big deal is Kyle. I went there, I talked to her for you. That's what you wanted right, you wanted to be able to be free of this and to be able to date her. There's your chance. What are you waiting for?" Isabel said flinging her arms upward in the air, as if to tell show him his opportunity was there and to take it.

"You don't get it do you. Did it ever occur to you that if I was going to tell her, I wanted to be the one to tell her? Or that, God I don't know, maybe I would wanna be in on whatever it is that you told her. Isabel you preach all the time about how we should do things as a team and then you go off and do things without even so much as telling anyone else."

"God Kyle, what do you want from me? I gave you what you wanted... there's your freedom go take it. What more do you want?" Isabel said still shaking her head in his direction.

Kyle stood silent. This argument was going nowhere. Kyle rolled his eyes and turned from Isabel, "Next time don't do me any favors..." he said as he grabbed his coat from the hook and exited the apartment slamming the door behind him.

The loud sound of the door slamming against the casing rang through Isabel's body and made her shudder. She placed her head in her hand and shook it back and forth. Why hadn't she just backed down. Both of them were dealing with underlying stress and were obviously just taking it out on each other right now. Isabel lifted her head from her hand and entered her room to prep for work later in the afternoon.
Author's Page
My Fics Below:
chunkmonster2
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Returning Normal (CC, M/L M/M I/K, TEEN) CH 6 pt 4.2(1DEC09)

Post by chunkmonster2 »

Author's Notes: Keeping again with the shorter posts due to less time 'cause of crappy exams... here is your next small part of Chapter 6, pt 4. I have decided to divide the fourth part up into 4 parts to make it a bit easier for me to write... but to give it the same depth as the other parts have had. Anyways heres a couple more scenes... Hope ya likey...

For those of you out there waiting for the Kyle/Serena scene and another Micheal/Maria scene they should be coming up in the next part of part 4!

comment as usual... and wish me luck on exams haha.

keepsmiling7 -It really is heart-breaking isn't it. Poor little Zan, hopefully he finds a home with the gang!

begonia9508 - I know, definite surprise. Tess told Max he was entirely human and that's why he wasn't excepted on Antar... and him being entirely human was why Max thought he deserved a chance at a human life.... so this will definitely make it hard on him.
He seems to know how to use his powers quite well... which will be explained eventually when he gets a chance to tell his story.
As for the Tess bit... there is a bit coming up on that in the post below... hope you enjoy!!

Chapter Six, pt 4.2 - I Wonder

===========================================================================================

St Mary's Orphanage - January 5th, 2010 11:05am

Both Max and Zan sat in silence. Could this possibly be their first trait in common? Both glanced back and forth to each other, sometimes appearing as they were about to speak, but never said a word.

Max caught glimpse of the form Michael had taken exiting the orphanage. He sat up straighter in his seat and leaned forward to watch out the windshield as his friend.

Michael looked both ways before jogging across the street. He made his way quickly back to the car and hopped into the passengers side without taking note of the child in the backseat.

"I waited all that time for nothing. The person I would have to see for the information won't be in until tomorrow, so I couldn't get any information." Michael said in all one breath.

Max looked to Michael wondering if it were possible that he hadn't seen Zan sitting in the backseat.

"What?" Michael questioned when Max's stare didn't break.

Max turned his head to the backseat to draw Michael's attention to the small blonde boy who was laying low in the seat.

Michael looked back at the boy and then turned his attention back to Max, "You took him? How'd you get in there and get him?"

Max remained silent for a couple of minutes while he tried to find the words to explain. Technically none of this was his doing, Zan had done everything. Max was temporarily distracted as he saw the grounds watcher come out the front of the orphanage with a couple other ladies as they began to search the street.

"Not now..." Max said as he turned the key in the ignition, "We need to get driving first. Stay low in the backseat Zan." Max said looking in the rear view mirror to lock eyes with his son to ensure he understood the order. Zan nodded from the position in which he was laying in the backseat. Max shifted the car into reverse and backed out of the parking lot and began heading in the direction of their home.

Max turned to Michael and looked him up and down, "Can't you change back now... it's getting kinda creepy."

Michael shrugged his shoulders, "I don't really know how to, I hope it just wears off."

===========================================================================================

Isabel and Kyle's Apartment - January 6th, 2010 5:43pm

Isabel awoke abruptly from her nap from the sound of rapping at her door. She hadn't been sleeping well lately and she now was becoming quite accustomed to having naps during the day. Isabel quickly sat up from the sofa and made her way to the main door of the apartment. She unlocked the door to come face to face with Michael and Max.

"Your back." she said happily. "I was getting worried, how did you make out?"

At the same time Max and Michael stepped slightly to the side. Isabel's attention was drawn between them. A small figure stood just behind the pair and was now completely visible to her. Isabel knew at first glance, he looked too much like his mother to mistake it. Isabel looked back to Max with her mouth open in shock,

"Where did you find him?"

Max gently placed his hand on the boy's back to escort him into the apartment, Michael followed behind. Before Isabel said anything more Max wanted to take her to another room to speak.

"He kind of found me." Max said looking down to Zan and then back to his sister with a look of concern. "Isabel can I speak to you in another room for a minute?"

Isabel looked at her brother slightly confused. This was what she thought the goal had ultimately been, to find the boy and bring him back to protect him. It took Isabel a second to nod, "Yes, yes of course. We can ah - we can go into the bedroom back there."

Max nodded and looked down to Zan, "If your hungry at all there is some food in the fridge I am sure. You can hang out here with Michael for a bit I will be right back."

Zan nodded and quickly made his way to the fridge.

"Hey I don't know anything about kids..." Michael said to Max as Zan made his way to the kitchen.

"Relax Michael, he is seven. I think he is pretty capable... just talk to him, keep him entertained for a few minutes."

Michael reluctantly nodded and made his way to the kitchen as Max and Isabel made there was to the bedroom, closing the door behind them.

Michael leaned against the cupboard and watched while the Zan grabbed a snack from the fridge.

"So..." Michael said awkwardly.

Zan looked up to Michael confused.

"Yeah I knew I couldn't do this." Michael said confirming his suspicion that he didn't know children.

Max and Isabel had made their way into the bedroom. Isabel took a seat on the bed while Max paced the length of the room. There was a minute or two of silence before Isabel decided to break it.

"So did you bring me in here to tell me something, or am I just suppose to watch you wear a path into my carpet?" she joked with her brother trying to lighten his obviously very serious mood. Isabel didn't know the details of how they acquired Zan and frankly she was sure it didn't matter. Zan was family to her and she was glad that he was where they could keep him safe.

"She lied Isabel..."

"Who lied?" Isabel questioned.

Max glanced up to his sister, "Tess."

"Lied about what?" Isabel shook her head slightly confused.

"About him being entirely human. She said he was rejected on Antar for being entirely human... it's not true." Max managed to stop pacing in front of his sister.

"I don't understand Max... so he.."

"He's not human. Well not entirely anyway... I don't know what to think. He has her power, he used it at the orphanage." Max sat on the bed next to Isabel.

"Maybe she didn't know. Maybe he was entirely normal when he was a baby and something developed. Look what happened with Liz, she developed different sorts of power and she is entirely human. This makes more sense of why Kivar is coming after him now, they must have made some sort of mistake and now they want him."

Max wasn't entirely convinced that Tess hadn't lied. He hadn't been entirely up front with Isabel on why he had this suspicion. Well over a month ago now Max had a very strange dream in which he truly believed his universe was altered. Upon waking he realized that it had all been a bad dream but something about it seemed to stick in his mind, it was different then the rest of the dream.

Max face spoke a million words to Isabel. That was something the siblings became very accustomed too, they could sometimes tell each others feelings by facial expression before words were even spoken. Isabel turned her body slightly toward Max to question him and keep a close watch on his expression to try and make out whether or not he was lying to her.

"What is it Max?"

Max looked to Isabel and shook his head, "Nothing."

"I know that look, there is something your not telling me. How am I suppose to help you if you don't tell me everything?" Isabel never understood why Max tried so hard to conceal things from the others, he always tried to deal with things on his own.

Max contemplated his options, should he tell her or not. Max truthfully wasn't sure how she would react to what he said. In the end she was right. He needed a second opinion on something and the only way to be able to accomplish that would be to share what he knew, or thought he knew.

"You remember when I had that dream in November... Well I guess it was more of a nightmare."

Isabel nodded, "Yes, the one where you thought you went back in time."

Max nodded to confirm they were speaking of the same thing, "Well there was a detail I left out. I left it out because it didn't seem relevant at the time... it was like I didn't understand it. On the drive home it flashed in my memory again and I couldn't ignore it."

Isabel furrowed her brow, "What do you mean? There was something in the dream about this?"

"Kind of.." he replied trying to think of how exactly to explain it. "Near the end of my dream... I mean right before I woke up I guess, Alex appeared in my dream."

Max looked up to Isabel to catch her reaction.

Isabel's expression remained unchanged, "And?"

"And there was something very different about him, I mean about him in my dream. It was almost like he was apart from my dream, it seemed like he wasn't part of it -- he was in it like me"

"Max are you trying to say that Alex was in your dream? That's impossible." Isabel wasn't sure if she didn't believe it or if she didn't want to believe it.

Max pressed his lips together and shook his head before speaking, "I know it sounds crazy, but something about it felt different. I didn't mention anything because the message never meant anything to me then..... but now."

"Now what?" Isabel questioned, before giving Max time to answer she hit back with another question, "What was the message Max?"

Max looked gaze with Isabel again, "He said that it wasn't as it seemed. He told me when the time came to look past logic, and he ended it by saying she never told the truth."

"What are you saying Max?"

Max wasn't entirely sure he believed the words that were about to come from his mouth, "I don't think Zan is my son."

Isabel's head jutted backward in shock, "What?"

Max once again stood from the bed and began to pace. There was a moment of silence before he replied to his sisters simple question. Max could feel her eyes on him as he paced back and forth without making eye contact with her.

"I don't know Isabel, I just I was driving and I got this weird feeling. I was driving and glancing back at him in the rear view mirror and those words just kept repeating in my head."

Isabel was slightly appalled by her brothers words, "You just found your son Max and now your already trying to deny him?"

Max stopped pacing and turned his attention toward Isabel, "No Isabel, and keep your voice down."

Isabel was not understanding her brother. "Oh let me guess, you haven't even told him your his father yet?" Isabel said slightly sarcastically. It wasn't until she saw the look on her brothers face when she realized he actually hadn't. "You haven't told him your his father yet?" she questioned with a more serious tone this time.

"It's complicated Isabel..." Max ran his hand through his hair tugging slightly on it as he did so. He was extremely stressed right now and it was hard for him to think at all, let alone be bombarded with hundreds of questions.

Isabel caught herself being overbearing again. In an attempt not to run off Max like she had Kyle the day before, she made an attempt at toning herself down. Isabel stood from the bed and made her way to her brother. He was now standing in one position with his right hand on his forehead. Isabel took a deep breath and wrapped her arm around her brothers shoulder. Isabel walked him to the door where she opened it partially to get a glimpse into the living room. The both looked through the crack at a small boy who was now sitting on the sofa watching television. Zan sat with a wide smile plastered across his face, laughing from time to time at the cartoons he had found on the television.

"Look at him Max. Who do you see?" Isabel questioned.

"A little boy, alone and confused about who and what he is." Max answered.

Isabel nodded and rested her head on his shoulder, "And who does that remind you of?"

"Myself at his age." Max answered honestly.

"We are all he has Max, especially now that we know he is unique like us. We have to protect him, he needs us now... he needs a family. He needs a father."

The words struck home for Max. All Isabel was saying was bringing him back to his childhood and his memories of desperatly wanting a father. Max was struggling internally with the situation, he wanted nothing more then to be his father but Alex's message kept ringing loudly in his thoughts.

"Your just scared Max, and you have the right to be. It will come to you, you will see. In the meantime we can wait to tell him, but remember you can't wait to long. Soon enough he will demand answers... especially if he is anything like you." Isabel pushed the door open and made her way across the room to where the boy set. Max watched as she squatted down and introduced herself to him. Isabel was in her element, she loved family. Max stood in the doorway watching his sister effortlessly interact with someone he should have instinctive connection with. Maybe Isabel was right, maybe he was just scared.

After a few minutes of observing his sister and son interact Max exited the bedroom and made his way to where Michael was standing.

"What now Maxwell?" Michael questioned.

Max simply shook his head. He had not the slightest clue what to expect next.
Author's Page
My Fics Below: