A Life Had Been Saved (CC,TEEN) [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

Ti88
Enthusiastic Roswellian

A Life Had Been Saved (CC,TEEN) [WIP]

Post by Ti88 »

Ok guys a big THANK YOU TO DREAMER19 FOR THE BANNER DOESN''T IT ROCK. :D

It has been a while since I have posted a fic and I am sorry if I did not label it correctly. :oops:

Title: A Life Had Been Saved

Author: Roselle aka Ti88

Rating: Teen

Pairing: Early Roswell no relationships have formed really. But CC anyway.

Disclaimer: I do not own Roswell. I do not get any money from doing this. This is my way of paying homage to a show that inspired me and gave me the courage to finally put ideas on paper and try to answer questions that the show raised. All I get is the silence finally of the questions answered and the warm fuzzy feeling of a show I love and was a large part some hysterical moments living on. NO infringement is intended on.

Summary: If the Sheriff had actually done the job he was sworn to do how might the events right after the shooting have occurred and what paths would that have put our Pod Squad on.
Author’s note: I have not seen the 1st couple of eppies in ages. So be kind and bear with me. Time puts a certain spin on events in our mind. This started out short by hand and as I sit here to type to get ready to post it seems to have taken on a mind of its own. Who am I kidding it had taken on a mind of its own by hand. Now I have to break it into parts. No fear. I have this mostly finished. I’m working on Unraveling. Arrg.

Part 1

Sherriff James Valenti was the sheriff of Roswell, New Mexico – home to all things alien. For the most part Friday night drunken brawls (if you called senior citizens after Bingo night arguing over whether or not Ms. Ethel had bingo before Mr. Matthews a brawl, then again they were armed with walkers) and kids breaking curfew was the most action he had seen in years. He had followed in his father’s footsteps, becoming sheriff and chasing aliens. They also thought he was crazy as well. That was a legacy he did not need to keep up. But he couldn’t seem to help himself.

“Sheriff man I’m telling you she was shot. Then them kids ran out. After the boy leaned over and did something to her. You didn’t get the bullet did ya?”

Valenti played that conversation over and over again in his head. The witness was adamant and was right about one thing to boot. No bullet and no bullet hole. Maybe mass hysteria hallucination. Yeah right. It wasn’t the first time that that weirdness had happened. No one was killed and they had the bad guys. He was not tearing up the Crashdown for a bullet in an open and shut case. In all the commotion people probably mixed up the direction the noise of the gun came from – happened all the time.

“Dad are you sure Liz is fine?”

“Why Kyle?”

“Well she has this weird silver handprint over her belly button and when I asked about it she showed me out the door.”

“I’m sure she’s fine. You probably saw a tattoo or body paint. She’s a shy girl and probably didn’t want you getting the wrong ideas or think she’s silly. She’s been through a traumatic experience. We had to arrest someone during her shift. Things happen here but not like they do elsewhere and you kids are sheltered.”

Valenti opened his drawer and took out files he had not seen in years. But remembered every detail. Silver handprints burned in the bodies of several men. He had lost so much behind those prints and what they meant. His dad. His wife. His reputation. And for what? To prove aliens were real. He flipped through each picture and the notes that accompanied it. Those people were dead and it appeared to be because a silver handprint had burned them to death.

But Liz was alive. And if what Kyle saw was correct and what the eyewitness saw was correct, then that silver handprint may be the reason. Could it be the same person? NO! He would bet it all the prints in the photo and the possible print on Ms. Parker were from two different people. Could the first set have been done in self-defense? Before the events in the Crashdown he would have said no, no way. Now – well anything’s possible.

He flipped opened the folder for the Crashdown shooting. All accounts put Max at Liz’s side right after the shot went off. So he would have to be responsible for the silver handprint on here – therefore saving her life. What if it saved her first and then kill… NO. One thing he knew for sure was Max Evans was in love with Liz Parker and everyone except for Liz knew. Even Kyle, going through his ‘stupid-jock-I can get any girl I want - phase knew Evans was stuck on Parker. So unless Max planned to kill her for dating Kyle and that was just to much for Valenti to take, Liz would be fine. But would Max. And if Max was an alien were his sister and best friend? Probably.

Sheriff Valenti closed the folder and rubbed his eyes. His little quiet town of UFO sightings just got noisy. Grabbing his hat and checking the time, he left. He was going to do what he had sworn to do - Protect.
Last edited by Ti88 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:48 am, edited 14 times in total.
Roselle
Ti88
Enthusiastic Roswellian

A Life Had Been Saved (Teen - CC ) Part 2 8/5

Post by Ti88 »

Well here is part 2. I think there are only 2 more parts, but it seems to have mind and is trying to do something else...we will see who wins and who loses. thank you for the feedback. i forgot how good writing roswell felt.

begonia9508 - i'm glad it made you laugh
keepsmiling7 - hope you like this part as well
cjsl8ne - i hope this is soon enough for you.
Timelord31 - thank you

Part 2

Valenti stopped in front of the Evans’ residence and got out. Only the Jeep there good. Hopefully that meant only Max and Isabel but this would be easier with just Max at first. He really did not want to do this with his parents there especially if they weren’t in the know. Valenti raised his hand, knocked and waited.

Max opened the door and wanted to run. Michael was right. Isabelle was going to kill him. He had ruined everything. But a life had been saved. A life had been saved. And it made it all worthwhile.

“Yes Sheriff. What do you want?”

“Are your parents home?” Max went on high alert. This was it. He would never see them again. Never. But he would protect them all at whatever cost he had to.

“No.”

Valenti took a deep breath and knowing there was no going back. “I need to speak with, can I come in?”

Everything in Max wanted to run, say no; but the leader whispered ‘Know your enemy’ so he answered with as much calm as he did not feel. “Yes come in.”

Valenti walked through and closed the door. “I won’t be long, but I have to give you something and tell you something.”

Max braced himself. He had options. Blast and run. Let himself be taken. Or try to bluff his way out. He was a leader, an unknown ruler even; he wouldn’t let them get Isabel or Michael. Straightening his spine he stopped in the living room and decided to play calm. “Have a seat sheriff.”

Valenti looked up from the folder and saw a boy become a man and mourned the loss of something that would have occurred anyway. “Um, I’m not here to hurt you. I want you to know that I don’t know everything and can’t explain everything, but I know you, your sister, and your best friend are not responsible for what is in this folder.

Max looked at the Sheriff like he was crazy. “You lost me. What do you know we aren’t responsible for? And why are you telling me you won’t hurt me?”

Valenti thought and couldn’t find an easy way to say this. So he figured he’d start with good news and move forward. “I know you have been in love with Liz Parker forever.”

Max blushed. “Wh…”

“I know since you love her you couldn’t hurt her. I also know since you love her you would do anything in your power to protect her. And since I know this, I know a gun went off and no bullet was found and a silver handprint was spotted that leaves me only one conclusion.”
Max had gone completely pale. “And what is that?”

“You Max Evans are an alien who healed the dying girl he loves of a fatal gunshot wound. My guess is Isabelle and Michael are aliens to.”

Max went from pale to terrified. Thoughts raced through his head. He didn’t know what to do. He was trapped. “Sheriff you must be mistaken. We are just normal kids. I saw the gun waving around and ran to protect Liz. You’re right I do love her. But that’s all. No special magic healing. As for aliens, I think you’ve lived in Roswell too long.”

Valenti looked at Max and smiled, his explanation made sense. If he didn’t have the photos in the envelope he would have left it alone. But he did so he couldn’t. “Max I think that is a wonderful description of events. In fact I’m going to put that in my official report. Unofficially I have to give you these. I don’t know all that they mean. I believe they mean you aren’t alone. And they mean you are in danger.”

Max was still processing. Valenti was keeping him off balance. Michael was better at this secret covert stuff. “Um…” Max stopped as he watched Valenti open the folder, take out an envelope and let photos fall to cover the table. They looked like dead bodies. He wanted to be a doctor. He had seen photos of cadavers before. But it wasn’t the bodies that brought him up short. It was a silver handprint that appeared on each body. “What is this?” Max whispered.
Roselle
Ti88
Enthusiastic Roswellian

A Life Had Been Saved (Teen - CC ) Part 3 8/18

Post by Ti88 »

Thank you all for the feedback. I'm so glad you are all enjoying the fic. Sorry that update didn't come as soon. I'm not using my computer. So it took a bit to get back on. You have all given me somethings to think about and I think I think my little several parter may have grown into something a lot bigger.

cjsl8ne - thanks. oh boy. i really didn't think that far ahead. :lol: the characters are liking the idea. they have started to throw scenes at me. so this may either just get longer or be s series.

keepsmiling7 - glad you like it the max/valenti interaction. i haven't written much valenti. micahel may surprise you though. time is something they never got...wander how it would changed things.

mary mary - thank you. i'm glad you like the direction the series is going in here.

Timelord31 - hope you enjoy this part as well

Part 3

Valenti mourned for a second time. “Max I really don’t know. These are photos that were taken before you were born. My dad was sheriff. He was convinced that the crash of ’47 was real. There were and are aliens. This was proof. This and the stories from his army buddies. He spent his life, lost his wife, his sons, and grandson chasing aliens. Especially the one responsible for these photos. I hated him and envied him. I loved him and pitied him. And in my desire to prove him right and get back his reputation I have followed in his footsteps. My wife left. I’m a bit of joke in law enforcement and my son wanders where he falls as a priority for me.

Max just stared at him. He truly was dining with his enemy.

“That day in the Crashdown happened and every-thing fell into place. I knew in my gut what the truth was. I was prepared to pursue you to the ends of the earth to be right and to prove to the world the Valenti’s aren’t crazy. I went over the events and I thought about the print Kyle saw and what is really meant.”

Max ventured a question. “What did it mean?”

“It meant the same power that killed these people could save a life on the brink of death. That means choice. That means these were done on purpose. What I don’t know is if the person thought they were defending or if it was calculated and the kill intended. Until the day in the Crashdown, I never thought about that.”

At some point in the conversation Isabel and Michael had come into the kitchen, stopping when they heard voices. Michael motioned for them to b quiet. He needed to know if there was danger, he needed to know if he needed to defend. Did he take Isabel and run and come back for Max, these were all questions he was trying to sort through as he tried to keep track of the conversation.

Max just looked at the sheriff. Two days ago he was being interrogated and now well he didn’t know. "And now that you have thought about it what are you going to do?”

Valenti looked at Max and remembered a silent child he had to take to child services he watched as that child entered into school with his son. A young girl who grew into who helped people and organized Christmas for orphans. And another young man who despite the hardships had the loyalty of his two friends to the end.

“You’ve been healing him haven’t you? We have to do something about that situation. Maybe your parents?”

Max interrupted the sheriff. “No he won’t. Iz and offered him that and he said no. And if Isabel Evans couldn’t get him to change his mind… you aren’t either.”

Valenti smiled at that. “No you’re right. Miss Evans has a way of getting her way…and somehow I do not believe it has anything to do with her powers…she would think it’s cheating. Well we’ll come up with something.”

Isabel placed a hand on Michael’s arm to keep him still. She did not know what was happening but this was the most information they had. Maybe her brother being in love did some good. And maybe this would be the leverage she needed to finally tell her parents.

Michael looked at Isabel and nodded to stay and they crept closer to the door. Neither knew what would happen now. The silence was starting to drive Michal crazy. So far telepathy wasn’t a power they had come across and he wanted it now. Max and the Sherriff still hadn’t made any firm decisions and the Evans’ wouldn’t be gone forever. ‘Come on Maxwell’

Max knew the question he wanted an answer to…but its answer would just cause more problems…he just knew. Isabel would want the people who raised them to know…Michael would probably run for real this time. But maybe not…ok definite on the Isabel front, but maybe Michael would stay and they could explore this new angle.

“Well Sherriff, I ask the same question again. Now that you have thought about all of these things, what will you do? Not the report you are going to file or that fact you aren’t investigating us anymore. Now that you have all of your most sought after answers…What are you going to do with the information? Because you can’t unknow it. And I can’t not tell Michael, Isabel, and Liz and probably Maria, which eventually will mean Alex that you know it. No matter what you do your life is changed. And you have a son to think about. And decisions to make there. So for the last time Sheriff James Valenti what will you do?”
Last edited by Ti88 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roselle
Ti88
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Part 4 4/6/10

Post by Ti88 »

Ok guys here is the next part. I am so sorry it took forever to get it up. I hope you all enjoyed the banner.

This fic is posted on 3 sites so the shout outs cover all three sites. Thank you to all my feed backers and lurkers for sticking this out. This part goes out to you all.

Cjsl8ne – I hope Jim says the right things as well. It’s like being at a crossroads. Its makes for either a really dark fic or a very unpredictable one. Hmmm FBI files wander what can of worms that will open? Sorry the update took so long.

Keepsmiling7 – That’s the million-dollar question. Do I avenge my father’s legacy and memory? Do I do my job and report it? Do I do my job and serve and protect? What oh what will I Sheriff Valenti do?

Natalie36 – Yikes! That’s the best way to put it. Think first ask latter Michael. Optimistic we can make Earth work Isabel. And on the spot not so quick Max. Yikes and many other expressions have gone through their head. Wander what the Sherriff is thinking?

PML- It is interesting isn’t it? Thanks I hope he makes the right one as well. Yes this is the proof Jim has been waiting for his whole life. It’s so tempting. The pain, the shame, the anguish, the failings, the loss – they would be justified and vindicated. He gets to say ‘Hey look. I was right and you were wrong.’

Timelord31 – Sorry I confused you. Sleep was supposed to say telepathy. I think I was sleep when I was posting it. Isabel is thinking in her head. She wants to tell mom and dad. She’s making a connection between Max loving and healing Liz with having what she has always wanted – a normal life. If you have other questions drop me a line? Hope this helps.

Begonia9508 – Thanks. I’m glad you enjoyed the last few parts. I won’t forget about the date changes. Yes he does and I figure they all need friends.

Dreamer19 – Thank you!!!!! Thank you!!!! The banner rocks. It has inspired me. I’m glad you found it to.

Earth2Mama -: lol Keep his trap shut. I hope so. Although one trap for another trap. Cause Max is right. Once in the alien abyss there is no going back. Its what everyone is waiting to find out. Kyle isn’t dying this time. Will he make a different choice? What will do to make it right? What will he sacrifice? Or is it to late? Has the ball started rolling and the trap sprung? Can he really shut it? Or will be lost?

Mt Gazer – Rhonda. Hey girl I am so glad you are reading my fic and enjoying it. Yep that’s the plan for the sheriff of Roswell. Isabel is going to push for it alright. And Roswell is a beloved story isn’t it.

Part 4

There was a silence that hung over the living room and the kitchen. It was driving Michael crazy. Well not the silence, but the silently bouncing girl next to him. Maria was the only person he knew who had this much energy and Isabel was giving her a run for her money. Leave it Isabel to be the best even in that. He wandered if Whitman knew what he was trying to get involved with. Michael needed all his powers to handle Maria and he wasn’t even sure he liked her. Alex had been sold on Isabel since he discovered girls were not just best friends. Max on Liz was the only thing sappier.

Valenti was lost in his own parade of thoughts. ‘What will you do Sheriff James Valenti? What will you do Sheriff James Valenti? What will you do Sheriff James Valenti?’ It repeated in his head over and over. His own mantra. ‘What will I do? What will I as Sheriff of Roswell New Mexico do? What will I do? What can I do? What should I do?’

Then it changed. The what turned to how? ‘How will the effect me? How will this effect Kyle? How will it effect my relationship with Kyle? How will it effect my relationship with my dad? How will it effect my work?’ He never believed in “ignorance is bliss” He had always felt “knowledge was power” But in this instance, he knew he wanted the one thing he couldn’t have as Max Evans had pointed out – once you had this knowledge you couldn’t unknow it. Once this ‘Pandora’s Box’ was unhinged there was no going back. And Max was right it wouldn’t just be him. Max had set into motion something big. Liz, Maria, and Alex had no secrets, they shared everything. No one could expect Liz to carry this secret and responsibility alone. Because that’s what it was – a responsibility. And that was all that really mattered. Besides after all the bad things fled ‘Pandora’s Box’ Hope came out as well. Hope gave mankind the tools needed to deal with the bad.

But that didn’t answer Max’s question. Or the questions that had come up since then. He wanted to take time and think. A couple of weeks and ponder the pros and cons. Get some advice. Sleep on it. None of those things he could do. Part of putting on this uniform was making on the spot spilt second decisions. Being able to choose right from wrong. Life and death choices even. Some with a gun and some without.

As the man fought for his right to choose, his right to take his time and make a well informed decision, his right to make sure the ‘t’s’ were crossed and the ‘I’s’I dotted and his right for a binding contract. The sheriff reminded the man of his oath and his responsibility. And he had a flash of memory. It was of the arrest he made of Amy Deluca during her protest. He answer would be simple. They are kids. They need help. And that’s what we do. It’s not their fault they’re different. You can’t discriminate because they’re different. Even if their whole planet was evil – these kids aren’t. And therefore have to be protected.
Amy Deluca wasn’t a man or a sheriff. In fact finding out aliens exist would be great business for her. But as Amy only sold Native things from the artist themselves, taking only a 5% cut she would think twice if not completely redo her store if she found out aliens exist. And Amy raised Maria, so once the shock wore off she was going to be an unshakeable ally the younger of the Deluca women. Wander if what Kyle complained about was true – Deluca and Guerin sending off weird vibes around each other in remedial science.

Valenti shook his head, clearing the thoughts that had jumbled up in there during his thinking. He smiled and faced Max. “Alright Max. I have an answer to your question.”

Max raised his head to look at the Sheriff who had been deep in thought for some time. The time had allowed Max to figure out Michael and Isabel were in the house – kitchen probably. He hoped they would remain hidden until he had a better idea where they stood with the sheriff. “ And what Sheriff James Valenti is you decision?”

Michael has his eyes closed. He was concentrating on not giving anything away. Isabel had her hand over her month and was shaking. The moment of truth was here.

Jim took a deep breath and decided first things first. “Before I give you my answer, I would like you to either call me Jim or when around other people just sheriff. The whole ‘Sheriff James Valenti’ is a mouthful and sounds like my dad.”

Max just looked at him like he was crazy. “Um. OK. I guess.”

Jim smiled. “Well good. Now that we have that out of the way, I only have one answer to give. It’s the only answer there is to give. You three are kids who were abandoned 10 years ago in a desert. Traumatized. Not talking. Scared. Tow of you got a great deal, but don’t worry we’ll figure out the Hank/Michael situation. We did our best to protect you then. And I’ll do my best to protect you know. That’s the oath and responsibility I took on behind this uniform. As a human being I’m here for you – talk with you, your parents. Because they need to know. At some point. But most importantly I’m not your enemy. And I don’t want harm to come to you.

Isabel couldn’t help it. She let out a cry and would have run into the room had Michael not had a grip on her. As it was she released a low-level energy pulse. He growled released her and watched as she Isabel Evans walked into the living room. Michael just shook her head and followed her. She had pinned Max and the sheriff with her trademark glare only marred by the tears swimming in her eyes and in her best Queen of Roswell voice asked the questions she cared the most about. “Do you really think we can tell our parents? What are your plans for the Michael/Hank situation, cause that boy won’t listen to me? And What are you going to do about Kyle?”

Michael smirked behind her. Yep Whitman was in for the time of his life.
Roselle
Ti88
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: A Life Had Been Saved (Teen - CC ) Part 5 6/2/10

Post by Ti88 »

Ok wow. I didn't expect after posting the note telling you guys an update would be soon and answering the feedback, that my muse would go into over time and spit out part 5. So here is part 5 enjoy.

Feedbackers and lurkers - thank you so much for reading. This is so much to write. I should warn you all now. That I haven seen Roswell really since it left the air. So its not a re write of each eppie. Just a fic. Its just a fic. :lol: :mrgreen:

Earth2Mama – I’m glad you enjoyed the inner dialogue the Sheriff had. I was unsure about it at first, but it wouldn’t go away so I’m glad it worked out. Of course he made ‘em sweat…them kids have to remember just that they are kids. Thanks for the vote of the parents needing to know. Yeah I think Alex will handle Isabel about as well as Michael will handle Mara. Hope you like the next part.

Keepsmiling7 – I’m liking this Jim as well. Yes, I’m happy he decided to protect them as well. Of course the whole time I was writing there was this evil muse going but what if he didn’t and the what if’s chased me around. I managed to lock ‘em up, but I have a feeling I have a dark fic in my future. Yes it will be interesting to see what the parent’s think...and not just of the whole ‘I am an alien’ thing either.

Cjsl8ne – Thanks. So glad you like the glimpse as well. It was the best decision for everyone wasn’t it? That’s what I keep telling the evil muse. Maybe it’ll listen now. It was such an Isabel move. She really is ahead of Max and Michael…they just haven’t realized it yet.

Begonia9508 – Glad you approve of the Sheriff’s choice process. You bring up an excellent point. Hank is a problem on so many levels. I haven’t figured out what to do with him as I hadn’t thought that far. I was sorta going with the change one thing and the rest falls into place…but that never works out for this crew. But don’t worry…Hank will be dealt with. Liz’s parent’s hmmmm yeah they are problem…but I’m not really sure if they are really more than anyone else’s… Maybe just in a different way.

Roswellian117 – Thanks for the compliment. It does my fic heart good to know people are enjoying the story. And yes there will be more soon.

Mary Mary – You are so right about Isabel. She just got herself an ally for her biggest argument with Max and Michael. She sees that telling her parents as a victory won. She has help in doing something about Hank – victory two. As for Kyle…well Iz hasn’t gotten back to me yet.

Part 5

“Philip why is the Sheriff of Roswell parked in our driveway?”

“What?” Phillip had just turned the corner and managed to miss a stray cat when his wife’s question cleared his mind. “Sheriff James Valenti’s truck is in our driveway?”

“Well what other Sheriff would it be?” Diane rolled her eyes. “So were we supposed to be meeting him for any reason? Do you have any open cases that you guys are consulting on?”

Philip was quiet. “No. There is no reason I can think of for him to be here. Last time…”

“Last time it was about whatever happened at the Crashdown. I thought we answered all of those questions. And I thought I made it clear if there were any more questions I or you would be contacted.”

Philip pulled the car along side the Sheriff’s truck and looked at his wife. She was in ‘Mom Mode’ It was so much more frightening than her ‘Lawyer Mode’ He hadn’t seen ‘Mom Mode’ since they first got the kids and it was unclear if the state was going to let them keep them. “Lets go Diane and see what the problem is before we get worked up.”

Philip got out and rounded the car to open the door for his wife. Reaching in he took her purse and her hand assisting her out the car. As they passed the truck each of them touched the hood and finding it cold they picked up their pace.

Swinging open the front door Diane beat her husband to the living room and stopped to stand in front of the Sheriff. “Sheriff James Valenti – what are you doing in my home, talking with my children, without an adult present?”

Philip had come in right behind his wife and took in the scene before him. Isabel was standing with her back to the door and had half turned when her mother had entered and begin speaking. There was a look of panic and then the Isabel mask was back in place. He looked to his son and the couch and realized Max wasn’t as fast as Isabel and the panic look was still there. The Sheriff for his part looked the least frazzled. He had this apperence of being at one with well whatever was about to happen.

“Yes Sheriff James Valenti, please do tell my wife and I what you are doing here. I know this isn’t an interogration.” Philip glanced down at the table. “Are those crime scence photo’s? Are you crazy? Those are dead people. DEAD PEOPLE. And you show them to my 16-year old daughter and son without us present? Maybe you really are as crazy as your dad.”

“Max. Isabel. Go to your room now. Your father and I need to have a nice long chat with the lawman here about what is permitted and what isn’t. It appears he needs a refresher course in proper police procedure as pertaining to minors.”

Michael heard the front door open, but by then it was to late. He couldn’t leave without drawing attention to himself and he couldn’t stay in the kitchen forever. Even if no one came into the kitchen, he really couldn’t stay in past another hour or so. ‘Oh man we are all so screwed.’

Max took a deep breath and wandered why he even tried to keep some sort semblance of normal in his life. He had lost track of time and even though they had…well Jim (too weird) and Isabel decided to tell our parents this isn’t how he wanted to do it nor did he want to do it before Michael was prepared. He didn’t need conspicory theory man as a lose cannon.

“Mom. Dad. The Sheriff isn’t here to interrogate us.” He looked at Isabel with a help me look.

“Max is right Mom. Dad. We were just having a conversation. He wanted to check up on us.” Isabel glanced at her brother in hopes he knew where to go from here.

Philip looked and Diane and gave her a yeah right look. “Max. Isabel. Lets say we buy what you are saying.” He pointed to the table. “Dead people.”

Max looked at Isabel. She sighed. Why did she have to be the one to come up with the plausible story, “Crash Festival.”

“Crash Festival” Was echoed by Diane, Philip, Max, and in the kitchen Michael.

Isabel rolled her and leveled each of them with a look and dared them to contradict her. “Yes Crash Festival. They were donated to the Sheriff’s office for the Crash Festival and since everyone knows we go every year the Sheriff dropped by to get our opinon on whether or not they were to gruesome.” Isabel got a mischievious twinkle in her eye before going on. “In fact we had just decided they were too gruesome and was helping the Sheriff put them away when Michael started to feel light headed and went to the kitchen to get some water. I should go and check on him, you know Hank doesn’t treat him right.” She watched her parents lock on her last few words. Gotcha. Two birds with one stone. She got the pictures excused and Michael fast tracked from under Hank’s thumb. She just rolled her eyes at the look Max was giving her. If it was up to him it would take a diaster and half the season before anything was done. She had to help the Sheriff out as best as she could.

Michael was going to blast Isabel. He was still trying to figure out a way to get out the kitchen and there she goes and tells them he’s there. Light Headed. Please that’s some prissy girl or wimpy guy reaction. She couldn’t think of something more macho for him to be in the kitchen for. She couldn’t just say ‘Michael is spending the night, there’s a game on and he went to the kitchen to get something to eat so he wouldn’t be inturuppted during the game.’ No she had to come up LIGHT HEADED. And then to top it off she brought up the whole Hank situation. Great, just great. There were going to be questions. He heard what her and the Sheriff had said a few minutes ago, but he figured he had a few days and then things would just blow over.
But oh no!

Of course as he filled a glass up with water and made his way out of the kitchen, it did get the parentals off their backs for the moment about dead body pictures, proper police whatever, and they didn’t stray to far from the truth. But he knew it was only slight repreieve. Max and Isabel maybe adopted, but after listening Ma and Pa Evans he knew he never really stood a chance against Max or Isabel.
Roselle
Ti88
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: A Life Had Been Saved (Teen - CC ) Part 6 6/8/10

Post by Ti88 »

Ok guys here is a new part and gasp it was only a week wait. I think I'm getting into a rhythum here. I already have most of part 7 written, I just have to finish it and type it so hopefully by next week its be up as well. Thanks for reading and sticking with me. You guys have been great. Oh and I have another fic I'm taking out of Dead and Buried Its called "Unravelling the Secrets and Lies" and its deals with the epie with Future Max, so go and enjoy that and hopefully next week will find a new part up for y'all.

Part 6

Feedback Response

Keepsmiling7 – I love it too. And trust me when I say its taking me along for a ride as well. Esp. since I thought it would be over by now. : lol

Earth2Mama – When I wrote the line it cracked me up as well. I could see a big Michael smirk as he though it. I loved Little House on the Prairie. I’m happy to be back. Missed you all was well. As you can see more is here.

Mary Mary – Glad you enjoyed the update. I’m not going anywhere. I have the Roswell bug and I can’t shake it…not that I have tried : lol. When you don’t see me for a while that means either RL is kicking my but or I can’t get online. Its nice for me as well. Beverly Hillbillies was funny too.

Michael nodded at each person as he entered the living room. You could cut the tension with a knife. Isabel’s plan hadn’t completely gotten everyone in the clear as she had hopped. Michael looked at Max again and shrugged. He didn’t really see a way out of this. Max had once told him the only thing to really get Mrs. Evans riled up was a perceived threat to her children. He never told Max or Iz, but he liked to think there was someone out there who cared for him like that.

Max watched everyone and saw the look of triumph on Isabel’s face, but he looked back at his parents and saw that while they brought the whole Michael and Hank thing having the Sheriff here was really causing a problem. His parents were in a staring contest communicating in a totally human yet alien way to him. Theirs was from years of marriage and closeness not any special powers or flashes. And it was worrying him. He knew if this didn’t work Isabel would throw caution to the wind and tell them.

Jim watched the whole thing unfold and cringed. He understood a bit of what the kids were going through at that moment. If he didn’t do something fast, this was going to get ugly and he could very well find himself out of a job and on the receiving end of a restraining order. That would be a real help to the kids…he just wanted this day to be over. ‘Well here goes my first official assignment as the protector and confidant of the aliens and their human allies.’

Taking a deep breath and standing so he could look Philip and Diane Evans in the face he motioned for the kids to take seats. And for once they complied without question…although in Michael’s cause he could swear that boy was getting some perverse pleasure out of it.

“Afternoon Mr. and Mrs. Evans. There is nothing sinister about my motives for being here. As you know your son, daughter and their friend was a witness to a violent incident at the Crashdown. They despite the chaos made sure the waitresses were ok. I wanted to make sure they themselves were ok and didn’t need anything.

Seasoned trained professionals have delayed reactions to these sorts of things. Roswell is pretty isolated; unlike the big cities where this sort of thing happens everyday and there tends to be, though not always a level of desensitization.

I wanted them especially Max and Michael to know they didn’t have to put up a brave front just because they are guys. And I wanted Isabel to not be frightened, given in that instance the only other male constants she has were in danger.

The three of them had a very traumatic beginning to their lives. I wanted to make sure they were ok and to remind them they had great parents they could talk to about anything. Well I know you aren’t Michael’s parents, but the three of them are a unit and I know if he needed to he could come to you two for anything without fear. And I wanted to remind them that as someone who knew them from the beginning they could talk to me as well.” Jim stopped talking and waited. “Oh and one other thing. Please call me Jim.” At that point Jim sat, hoping the other two adults in the room would as well. It wasn’t a lie he had just told. If the incident had happened to anyone else that would have been his only purpose for being there. And he meant everything he had just said. He doubted these kids even thought of such things as post-traumatic-stress, but given everything that was going on, someone needed to think of the stress. Because he could guarantee being and alien hiding was enough stress to send anyone over the edge.

Diane and Philip looked at each other. That made sense, but it still didn’t explain the photos. “Thank you, Sheriff Ja…I mean Jim for coming by and checking on the kids. I tried to get them to go and see someone for that reason, but they brushed it off.” Diane thanked Jim.

“Yes Jim thanks. But we still want to know about the photos.”

“Dad I just told…”

“Yes I know Isabel Crash Festival. You know your mom and I aren’t going to force you to see a shrink if you and Max don’t want to. And I’m guessing if you two don’t won’t to, then Michael probably won’t was well.”

“Got that right. No shrink lady messing around in my head.”

“They have men too Michael if that would make you feel more comfortable.”

Michael looked at Mr. Evans as if he had two heads. “NO. I don’t wanna talk to anybody. And I don’t need to. I ain’t suffering from no PTSD.”

Everyone looked at Michael. “What? Can’t know the acronyms for what you all are talking about? Whatever”

“Diane was the first to reassure him. She knew if she didn’t now there would be no way to discuss what was really going with the Hank situation. “No Michael its not that. Its just…” Oh God she had to find the right words.

Philip looked at his wife struggling. “Michael. We don’t think you are stupid or any such nonsense. You just never seemed interested and well I figured you were going to start laughing halfway through Jim’s speech that’s all.”

“Diane finally found her voice. “And it seemed like such a thing you would say that’s all. I wasn’t trying to offend you honest”

Michael decided to let them off the hook. “I know Mr. and Mrs. Evans. It just reminded me of the way the teachers look.”

Isabel couldn’t resist. “Maybe its because you never show up and then when you do you sprout off all this knowledge and then disappear again for days and sometimes weeks.”

“Yeah.” Max added. “Teachers like to actually be the one imparting knowledge on students. But for you that never actually never seems to be the case.” Max smirked.

Diane shook her head. “Ok children. That still doesn’t explain the whole pictures thing.”

Jim shook his head. “Well Isabel was basically right. They were on the guys. We didn’t know if they were stolen, part of the festival, or what. I had seen Max over there a few times, when we were checking security for Milton, so I figured maybe he knew. And Max said they aren’t from there so we are just gonna put them back in with the case files, just in case we need them later on.”

Diane and Philip considered what the Sheriff had explained to all seemed plausible if not a little too neat. But they didn’t perceive a threat from him and that was the most important thing. Plus they’d let Michael think he had gotten off the hook with school and Hank and do a little investigating on their own on the Hank front.

“Ok Jim, its getting late and the kids have school in the morning…which you are ALL going to.”

“What?”

Iz hit Michael on the back of his head and he shut up. “Ok mom. Night Sheriff. Come on Michael I’ll actually make up the guest room for you this time instead of you crashing on the floor.” All he could do was groan.
Jim gathered his things wished everyone good night and made his way to his truck. He really didn’t know if he could keep this up. Not because he didn’t want to, but because it was exhausting. He had to get the kids to come clean, for his piece of mind. If anything happened to those three and the two adults in their weren’t in on the know Diane Evans would skin him live and Philip Evans would provide the defense to get her off. He shook his head. Enough of that for tonight. He had to go home and spend some time with Kyle. Some overdue non-information gathering time.
Roselle
Ti88
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: A Life Had Been Saved (Teen - CC ) Part 7 6/12/10

Post by Ti88 »

Part 7

Feedback and Author's note

Well it had to happen sooner or latter. I realize this story is out of a decision that Valenti oops I mean Jim has made. But now that he has made the choice he won’t be stalking Maria and Liz, so what happens in their little world? And I started to freak…and then I remembered hey this is you guys and it’ll be alright. So I’ve decided to expand the ripple that Jim’s choice has made. Even when others don’t know about the choice yet.

Keepsmiling 7 – Thanks. Yeah I figured Isabel had to get it from somewhere. I’m glad you like Jim as well. They are like a family aren’t they.

Earth2Mama aka Ellie – Michael needs someone on his side. I never saw the Evans’ as clueless as the show portrayed them. Thanks. I’m glad my Diane is a hit.

Begonia9508 aka Eve – Thanks. I thought so too. Michael didn’t, but it cracked me up. Izzy’s a trip isn’t she? Hmmm, dropping a dime on Hank…we’ll see.

Mary Mary aka Ginger – Thanks…is this soon enough?

Timelord31 – Thanks glad you are still enjoying.

And to all my lurkers…thanks for reading. This is update is going up now cause I have eye surgery on Monday – nothing major…so no computers for a couple of days. And I’m trying to stay on track. Thanks again guys and enjoy.

“Explain to me again how this will help me pass science. And why it matters if I pass science. You’re the science girl– going to Harvard – gotta be a molecular biologist. I’m just me – Maria. Small town girl. From small town Roswell.. UFO capital of the world.”

“You have no idea.” Liz whispered as she got things ready for her and Maria’s study/slumber party.

Maria stopped in mid-ramble. “What?”

“Nothing.” Liz took a breath. She had been trying to corner Max since his ‘I’m not from around here’ speech and no luck. One minute he has looking like the weight of the world was on his shoulders and his world was about to end and the next he still looked like the weight of the world was on his shoulders but that there was light at the end the tunnel. All he told her was he’d talk with her later. He had news, not to worry, and please don’t say anything to Maria or Alex yet. He had left her more confused than he did in the band room. And she really didn’t know how long she could keep Maria at bay. Forget about Alex…she was scared of Maria when she was out for information.

Maria looked at her best friend deep in thought and knew her reply of nothing meant something…a big something. But she had promised. “And don’t think offering to do extra credit with me is going to get you out of explaining to me what is really going on.” That didn’t mean she couldn’t prod and poke.

“Maria…” She was going to kill Max, Isabel, and Michael for this. A Deluca on a mission was scary…It made the Crusades and Colonization look like a walk in the park. They would stop at nothing to find out what they wanted to find out and you always in the end felt like crap for keeping it from them in the first place.

“I know. I know. I promised. And I meant it. But Liz…not forever. I’m worried about you. We promised. We promised when my dad left, we’d look out for each other always. No matter what. Do you remember that? You, me, Alex, even Kyle. After his mom left. No matter what Lizzy. No matter what…”
Maria took a deep breath. “So I, giving you some space and time. ‘Cause you say it isn’t dangerous – I question that…”

“Max would never hurt me and neither would Isabel or Michael.” Liz quickly interrupted. It was important that Maria understood that. She had to understand that the three of them weren’t a threat to her.

Maria laughed. “As if Max Evans would harm you.” She paused. “And Princess Isabel and Grumpy Michael wouldn’t hurt you either…if nothing else Max wouldn’t allow it. But it’s not forever Liz. Alex is wandering. So is Kyle. And Kyle is really wandering what is going on.” She stopped again and gave Liz a hug. “But you have my word. I’ll do my best to let you come to me.”

Liz smiled and let a breath. She had been given a Deluca reprieve. Liz got up and opened her drawer. She pulled out some pamphlets and gave them to Maria.

“What are these?”

Liz smiled. “Well Maria you and your mom are into natural and alternative medicines. Homeopathic cures.” Liz took a deep breath. “You can be a doctor in that area if you want to.”

Maria looked at Liz. Her whole life she felt like the odd ball. Liz had sciences. Alex computers. Even Kyle had sports. She was just wacky Maria. ‘Dr. Deluca’. It had a certain ring to it.

Liz watched the expressions play across her friend’s face. “And you wouldn’t have to give up music. That could be your major. Artsy people are making a splash in the sciences and music majors do real well on their SAT’s and MCAT’s…sometimes better than us science geeks.” Liz saw Maria start to go into sensory overload. “No pressure. Just some ideas.” Liz got quiet and sat next to her friend.

“Maria.” She waited for her to look at her before continuing. “Maria life is short. And you never know when it’ll be over. Everyone has regrets, makes mistakes, and wishes for the reset button. I just don’t want any of yours to be because you felt you were living in mine or Alex’s shadow.”

“If you want to be my Wacky Sidekick, then do it because you want to, not because you feel you have no other choice.” She gave Maria a hug. “Just promise me that.”

Maria looked at Liz. She never talked about it, but sometimes. She felt like that was going to be her greatest accomplishment…and something in her wanted more. She hugged Liz back. “I promise.”
Roselle