Lie to Me (UC,Mi/L,MATURE) Part 11 6/17/11 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

sweetliberations
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Lie to Me (UC,Mi/L,MATURE) Part 11 6/17/11

Post by sweetliberations »

Wow - busy summer so far. Work is insane, kids are insane. Love this story and wont give it up! Thanks for the wonderful feedback.

Biting on her thumbnail, Maria tapped her foot against the floor mat of the Jetta and stared at the front of Michael’s apartment. Odd how much more brave she’d felt sitting in front of her mirror. Ready to take on Michael and his incessant ’I’m too dangerous to be around’ speech. Because where she was standing, being frozen out of the newly formed aliens only group didn’t keep the wacky out of her life.

Okay, perhaps she should say, sitting. Cause that’s pretty much all she’d been doing over the last two hours.

She wasn’t going to lie. Cause face it, who was around to lie to? Okay, perhaps there was her Mother. She lied to her all of the time. Like right now, Amy Deluca was under the naive impression that she was currently taking the morning shift at the café. She was playing with fire, sooner or later the veil over her mother’s ignorance would lift and all hell was going to break loose.

But until that fateful day, when the four horsemen of the Apocalypse rode down the streets of Roswell, she was going to sit back and ride this out. It was kind of refreshing, not having to bust her hump slinging potential heart attaches to loud mouthed, obnoxious tourists. For the first time in four years, she’d had a taste of a real summer vacation where she was expected to work, or help out around her mother’s store.

Sleeping in, slacking off for the last week had been heaven. She’d even hit the public pool a few times. When school started she may be returning boyfriendless, but at least she’d be sporting a kickin tan.

Boyfriend. A tight sensation traveled up her spine. Her eyes lifting again to the door of Michael’s apartment, Maria grasped the steering wheel tightly. Man whore.

Torn. Why was it that ever since Michael Guerin landed in her life, it would be the exact word to describe her life. Torn between wanting to curl up in his lap, cuddling into his protective embrace, breathing in his unique scent that seemed to calm her better than cedar oil. Or clobbering him over his stubborn head for making her feel so unwanted, so freaking disposable. Torn between wanting to jump in with both feet to help out with the crazy and sometimes dangerous life, and running away.

Oh yeah she was torn.

Then there was the issue which really prompted her to stalk Michael. What a nasty word. Maria Deluca was a strong and desirable woman damnit. Meeting issues head on. Taking the bull by the horns and all that crap. Not lurking in the shadows waiting for some guy.

No not lurk. She didn’t exactly lurk in the shadows waiting for Michael to take off after his double at the Crashdown. She’d quietly sat in the darkened car. Comfortably slouched down out of view.

She absolutely didn’t hold her breath when he came crashing out the back door and walked toward his bike, that damn sexy scowl gracing his features. .No, she was Maria Deluca, she had been waiting for the right moment to confront him.

It wasn’t tears falling from her eyes when Michael growled in frustration and threw his helmet against the alley. His gaze shifting to the ladder leading up to Liz’s bedroom window before turning away from his bike to stalk to the bottom of the metal rung.

Shaking her head, silently praying Michael not to take the next step. She’d seen the torn, indecisive expression on his face. Looking from the path he was about to take, back to his bike again.

Apparently they needed to work on their mind reading skills. Because, instead of spinning on his heel and marching his happy ass back to the shitty, makeshift bike he grabbed onto the lowest rung.

That had been seven hours ago. He’d never reemerged.

By the time the sun started to rise she knew she needed to get moving. So putting the car in drive, she shifted her eyes on last time to the balcony. Torn.

Between being heartbroken and worried, mixed with a little guilt it made on hell of a night. Her mind zipped back to the first reason she’d been waiting of him. To prove to herself that his and Liz’s little lip lock hadn’t meant a thing. That in his deluded brain, kissing Liz had only meant getting what he wanted.

She’d pictured his shocked and slightly insulted expression when she elegantly went off on him. Could almost hear the not really amused huff. What she hadn’t expected to see was pure emotion land anywhere on his face as he glared at her best friends window.

Telling herself not to look at the clock on the dash, Maria lasted an entire ten seconds. Six thirty. Where in the hell was he?

As if out of no where the roar of this engine echoed off the low income housing. Keeping her eyes trained forward, she tracked his approach with her ears. Less than a block away. She had time to get out of dodge. To wad up her insecurities, embrace the fact how first High School romances sucked and never worked out.

But then the small sliver of the reason she was also here kept her hands wrapped around the steering wheel column. Liz.

Blowing out a deep breath, Maria couldn’t help shifting her eyes to the rearview mirror just as Michael turned the corner. Kiss aside, Liz was going through something. Whether alien related, or mentally related.

“What’re you doing here?” Resting his arm on the roof of her car and leaning down, she could see him from the corner of her eye.

“We need to talk.”

Making face, Michael shook his head. “Not in the mood. But thanks for stopping by. I’d offer you a muffin, but don’t have any.”

Pushing off the car, Michael paused for a moment almost giving her a chance to banter back. Honestly, she was all bantered out. “We need to talk about Liz.”

And wow, there was the show stopper. Nearly tripping over his own feet, Maria watched as he gave her a sharp look back over his shoulder. “I - what?”

“Liz.” Maria muttered, knowing it was time to leave the safety of her car and get this over with. “You know, short. Brunette. Works at the Crashdown. Girl you kissed in the cooler the other day? Ring any bells?”

His eyes shifted uncomfortably. “Oh, that Liz.”

Smacking his chest, Maria wasn’t satisfied with the lack of his reaction. “That’s it?”

“Yeah, that’s it.” Rubbing a hand over his face, Michael looked ready to say something more, but thought better of it.

“I’m worried about her.” Concern laced through her words. Hurt clouded her eyes.

His right eye twitched, meeting her gaze dead on. “She told you.”

“Hello, best friend here.” Throwing her arms out wide. Maria scoffed at him. “I know my existence doesn’t have some intergalactic importance, but I take my job as Liz’s BFF seriously.”

“Are you seriously here to talk about Liz, or bust my chops about kissing her.”

“I am going to be the bigger person about this.” Gritting her teeth, Maria swallowed down the jealous rage starting to churn inside of her chest. “But don’t think we wont U-Turn back to that little tidbit.”

“Acknowledged.” Clawing his fingers through his shaggy hair, Michael turned his back on her. Taking a few steps toward his apartment, Michael looked over his shoulder. “You coming or what?”

“I love your manners.” “She groused.

Usually ignoring her, Michael stopped. “Then don’t come Maria. Honestly, right now I don’t have it in me to tip toe around your sensitive feelings. Not when you are finding it perfectly acceptable to belittle me, consistently pointing out my faults and basically making me feel like a fumbling piece of incompetence.”

“Did you just use the word incompetence? Really?”

“See that’s what I’m saying.” His helmet in one hand, his other resting on his hip he stared her eyes. “What did you really think you were getting into dating the kid from the trailer park? Champagne and caviar?”

“Is it wrong to expect you to treat me with just a little bit of respect?”

With a few blinks, Michael actually looked like he was rolling her words around his brain. “Yeah. Actually it is. It’s wrong of you to keep trying to change me. To expect me to see how lucky I am to have you in my life and change everything I am to make you happy.”

“So I’m not good enough? Is that it?”

“No. Yes.” Shaking his head, Michael laughed. “I dunno, maybe.”

“Excuse me?”

“Maria, I’m tired. Have more important issues currently fucking up my life. I don‘t have time to brush the dust of my Miss Manners book and be the suburban cookie cutter boyfriend you‘re looking for.”

“Must’ve been some kiss.” Knowing they were heading down a road she had hoped to be a bigger person to avoid, Maria felt selfish.

Scratching his brown tiredly, Michael let his arm drop to his side. “I’m going inside and try to grab a some sleep. I have to work this afternoon and don’t have time for this.”

“What about Liz?” Reaching out and grabbing his arm, Maria pulled when he tried to move away. “I’m worried about her.”

“Again, are you here to talk about her, or the kiss?” Looking down at her, hating himself for being so insensitive, Michael reminded himself he’d done his best to set his ex-girlfriend straight. Not once over the summer had he led her on, or given her any sign he was going to change his mind. It stll hurt like hell knowing he was the one causing her pain.

Her mouth pinched and eyes narrowed. Michael could almost see the violent storm brewing inside of his ex. The smart thing to do would be to turn her away and deal with this later. He was exhausted and not in the state of mind to hash this out. Clearly seeing how torn Maria was between wanting to help Liz and needing to lash out her pain from their separation.

With a sigh, he tried to keep his frustration out of his tone. “Don’t worry about Parker. I’m keeping an eye on her.”

“Shocker.” Seeing he was about to shutdown, Maria waived her hand in mock surrender. “Fine. What about Courtney?”

Damn, why did Liz find it necessary to pull Maria into this? “Working on it.”

“What have the others said about this?”

She watched as the blood drained from his face. Took a step back when his heavy soled boots took two quick strides toward her. “Did you say something to the others?”

“Wha?” Eyes wide, Maria stared at him for a minute with her mouth open wide. “Are you keeping secrets from them?”

“I’m done talking about this.” Fuming, Michael turned around but quickly halted. Turning back to face her, she didn’t have to wait long. “If you really are concerned with Liz and don’t want to see her hurt, keep your big mouth shut.”

“My big mouth.” Mouth dropping, eyes blinking a few times Maria fisted her hands at her side. “What aren’t you telling me?” Maria half yelled, not caring that they were starting to get the attention of Michael’s neighbors.

“Nothing.”

Hurrying after him when he started to walk away, she quickly rounded his tense form. “Max would never hurt her!”

Breathing hard, the smirk on his lips lacked any humor. “What exactly did Liz tell you?”

“About her and - well you back on Antar. That somehow you two were together -.”

“Anything else?” He pressed.

“You mean besides you shoving your tongue down her throat?” Maria snapped.

Liz Parker didn’t tell Maria everything. There had to be a reason why, and there was no way he was going to figure it out after two nights of no sleep. “Leave it alone. Stay away from us. ALL of us.”

“You can’t tell me what I can and can’t do.” Maria poked her finger into the center of his chest. Before she could do it again he grabbed her small hand into his.

“In most cases your right. Human cases that is. This is an alien case until I can prove otherwise. It’s off limits to you. I swear, you say one word to Max, Isabelle or Tess your mother will find out about your unfortunate drug addiction. She‘ll have you on lockdown quicker than shit.”

“I don’t have a -.” Her blood turned cold. Michael’s typically conflicted bourbon eyes were cold and void of emotion.

Studying her face, making his threat his it’s mark, Michael knew the guilt he was now feeling was well deserved. But he couldn’t have Maria igniting an already tense situation. He may be pushing her out of his life, he didn’t want to see her hurt or in any danger. If that meant he needed to be the unmannered piece of trailer park trash the rest of the town saw him, then so be it.

Hating the tears that were gathering in her eyes, he tried to keep any signs of emotions off his face. Almost sighing in relief when she spun around to retreat back to her car, he watched as she almost ran into Mr. Nelson, the complex’s poster child drunk.

“Hey.” Calling out before he could stop himself, Michael wasn’t surprised that she paused, but didn’t turn to look at him. “Until I figure this out, consider all of us the enemy. That none of us can be trusted.”

Her less than humored huff raised her shoulders. “Don’t think that’ll be a problem.”

~*~

“Have you talked to Michael recently?” Finding his sister in the kitchen pouring herself a cup of steaming hot coffee, Max waited. She’d been cold and distant lately. Her one word responses and cutting mutterings indicated somehow he’d once again managed to piss her off.

“Not since the last time you commanded our presence.” Spooning in four large heaps of sugar into her mug, before adding a healthy splash of French vanilla creamer, Isabelle tossed the spoon into the sink. “Is he ignoring your dictate again?”

Gritting his teeth, Max almost immediately defended himself before stopping. “He hasn’t returned any of my phone calls.”

“Scandalous. Are you telling me that the guy who hit you isn’t in the mood to chat on the phone?” Her eyes widely innocent, Isabella slapped a hand against her chest. “What is this world coming to?”

“There’s something important we need to discuss.” Pretending he hadn’t caught the sarcasm in her voice, Max pushed on.

“Hmm, let me guess, hours cut at the UFO center?”

“Isabelle.”

“No!” Putting her hand up to stop him, Isabelle shook her head. “Really let me guess, it’s much more fun this way. Liz Parker still hasn’t called you back and you think there’s some alien force behind it.”

“Not funny.”

“No, what’s not funny is how easily we all fell into this stupid game of playing house, alien style. Running around pretending we’re these self important entities from a million miles away, waiting for Darth Vader to attack.”

“Why are you being like this?” Taking a cautious look over his shoulder, making sure no one was around, Max took a step closer.

“Because I hate how everything is turning out.” Eyes flashing, Isabelle sneered. “We’ve cut off everyone who’s been there for us.”

“It’s for their safety.” Gripping onto the counter, Max frowned not understanding why it was so hard to make her understand this.

“Bullshit, Maxwell.” Her anger flaring again. “We cut them off because Nasedo suggested it would be in our best interests. And like one of those yappy little dogs you were eager to do his bidding. We had no right to treat them like that. You have no right to treat Michael like you do.”

“It was the right thing to do. As for Michael, he’s a big boy.”

The menace on his face didn’t deflate her, didn’t make her back down. “Let me set you straight on something Little brother. I’m done. Done listening to you, done defending you, done pretending I’m some kind of princess from another planet. I can’t imagine what you went through in the white room. I still have nightmares about it every night. I’m also sorry Liz Parker dump you. Really I am. But you don’t have any right to tell me or anyone else how to live their life.”

“Now your sounding a lot like Michael.”

“Well maybe you should get yourself a clue.” Sending him a look of dumbfounded disbelief, Isabelle shook her head. “Even if you were a King in your past life, you aren’t one now. After this summer its become pretty clear you aren’t a great leader. So how dumb would I be to blindly follow someone I don’t respect?”

Several emotions flashed across Max’s face. But mostly he looked hurt, almost devastated. And for the first time in her life, Isabelle didn’t feel bad. Most of the summer she’d been sick to her stomach watching Max and Tess play King and Queen of their group. With each passing day her frustration had festered into anger.

For months she’d felt stuck, almost forced to follow a path she knew in her gut was wrong. Never one to sit on the sidelines, she felt angry at herself for becoming a bystander in her own life. Her desire to show her support and loyalty to Max had become a desperate need. Almost as though her life depended on it.

But she couldn’t do it anymore. The entire situation was pathetic. And the only thing she was upset about now, was how long it took her to speak up. Hopefully in the future they could get past all the negativity of this summer. But that would mean Max would need to see how his behavior had caused the majority of tension.

The tense staring contest she seemed to be locked in was a clear indication their verbal conversation was for the time being. Needing to put some space between them, Isabelle set her untouched mug onto the counter before fleeing outside for some fresh air.

~*~

For the first time that summer, Liz woke up feeling refreshed. As though she’d actually slept through an entire night. The strange dream lingered just on the edges of her mind, only coming forward when she welcomed it. Instead of forcing itself to be noticed like the other dreams and visions over the summer, it waited patiently for her to remember and dissect.

It felt right that the sun was shining and birds were chirping and for the first time in like forever, there was a bounce back in her step. Humming as she wrapped a towel around herself, Liz wiped at the bathroom mirror.

She felt alive. Calm. Ready to face whatever was happening to her. Since the day Max Evans had healed her, she was on the brink of seeing the whole pictures. As if the missing puzzle pieces had been handed to her and all she needed to do was find out where they belonged.

She could handle puzzles, was very good at them in fact. And for once in a very long time she was ready for the challenge.

She just hoped Michael was also up for the challenge.