You and Whose Army? (AU,CC,MATURE) Part 19 10/8/18

This is the place to post stories that significantly alter the show's canon or mythology such as prequels, backgrounds for the characters that differ from on the show, fics where different characters are alien, and alternative family relationships. These fics must contain aliens or alien storylines as part of their plot.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Hunter, Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

morethenwords122
Addicted Roswellian

You and Whose Army? (AU,CC,MATURE) Part 19 10/8/18

Postby morethenwords122 » Mon May 26, 2014 2:15 pm

Image Banner by April :D

Title: You and whose Army? (The title is one of my favorite songs by a band called ‘Radiohead’ by the same name, I suggest you go and listen to it. I feel it sets the tone of this story perfectly.)

Disclaimer: I own nothing. I don’t own the characters or the show. This story is just for fun. No copyright infringement intended.

Rating: Mature for strong language, some sexual content, and some scenes of extreme violence and gore

Parings/ Couples: CC, Ensemble

Genre: Au with Aliens/ Angst/ Romance

Spoilers: Everything up to ‘Cry Your Name’ in season 2 than Au elements that lead to ‘Ch-Ch-Changes’ in season 3

Summary: Instead of mind-warpping Alex, Tess comes to him and asks him for his help in decoding the book; Alex being Alex, agrees. But the two soon learn that by decoding the book, they have brought all forms of danger to Roswell. So, in order to keep everybody they love safe; they make up an elaborate plan for Alex to die in a gruesome but suspicious car crash and for Tess to be framed for it.

Now, ten years later, Tess, Alex, and her young son are on the run from an enemy far more dangerous than they could have ever imagined. So dangerous, in fact, that not even those they left in Roswell aren't safe anymore. To right, what they've done wrong; Tess and Alex decided to return to Roswell to warn their friends of their unknown enemy and to give them the true translation of the book. But are they ready to pay the price for returning home?

A/N: I know that an 'Alex is alive' fic is not a new idea but since this story broke me out of the intense writers block i was suffering from, i decided to share it.

Tad bit of info before hand, I will have to briefly, I mean briefly, venture into the world of Max and Tess but their relationship is only used to move the plot along. Max and Tess WILL NOT be together! Repeat: Max and Tess will feel nothing romantic about each other.

AU things to Know in this story:

• Alex really did go to Sweden but lied about why he was going. He really went there to find a simpler way to decode the book. In Sweden, he met Leanne aka Jennifer (a fellow alien), who helped him with the book and later, while he and Tess are on the run.

• While decoding the book, Alex was hit by ancient Antar cruse that should have killed him but instead caused him to develop powers. You’ll learn what happened, what will happen, and what power he has as the story goes on.

• Isabel’s visions of Alex at the end of season two and that one episode in season three will not be a part of Isabel’s guilty conscious. The reason Isabel can see Alex will tie into Alex’s power.

• I have also somewhat altered the effects that Tess and Max’s power has on them. Like, with Max, in order to heal people, he must absorb the person’s pain, which causes him pain. And Tess can only mind-wrap someone for so long before it begins to eat away at her body system and eventually her brain, making her believe the illusion is real. If she uses her power to long after that, she’ll become a vegetable and locked in her own illusion forever.

Warning! This story has loads of dark angst, death, and dark sarcastic humor. You’ve been warned.

/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/

Act 1, Part 1

April 23rd, 2001 7:30 PM

It had taken about three hours to make it to the deserted highway near the New Mexico State line. It was usually only about an hour drive but the torrential downpour of stinging rain mixed in with heavy hail had made the drive more difficult. The lone highway in question was more an old-school dirt road than a highway really. Only truck drivers and tourists (who didn't know the area, but were looking for a shortcut) used it. Born natives of New Mexico knew to watch out while driving on that road; it had developed a poor foundation over the centuries from tire-tracks and people in general. It was also cluttered with boulders and half-done asphalt potholes (from back when the state had tried in vain to restore it). With the crazy amount of rain pouring down, the road had become clumped together with hard mud balls that had boulders as their center. The mud was so hard, that if someone wasn't careful, they could get their tires stuck or, if they were lucky enough to get a mud ball, they could lose their car altogether. That wasn't something that the owner of a beaten-up black car feared as it zoomed down the road at about eighty miles an hour, recklessly, dodging boulders that were caked with mud and the road’s mud patches. The owner of the car didn't seem to care about his own well-being or that of others; at a closer look, someone might have thought the driver of that car had to be drunk to be driving like that in weather like this.

About a quarter mile up the dirt road, the car had come to a screeching halt and, a moment later, two figures hurriedly stepped out. The occupants of the car had been two teens, a boy who had been the driver and a girl who had been the passenger; both seemed to be around the same age and both wore darkly serious, gloomy expressions. The boy was tall but not gracefully so; he had medium length, and hair as black as night that was all over the place. It looked like he had run his fingers through it more than once. He wore simple clothing: a blue, long-sleeved shirt that had seen better days with a pair of faded-beige khakis. His features were average; he was run-of-the- mill guy, blending into the wallpaper. The only striking thing about him was his eyes… a deep, chocolate, brown that shone with an intense sense of understanding, the kind of understanding which, if someone wasn't careful, they could get lost in it for hours. But now those eyes had lost their serene light and a deadly sense of knowledge had replaced it, knowledge of what needed to be done and that everything is dangerous.

The girl, on the other hand, was not ordinary in any way. Sure, she was the kind of attractive blonde, blue eyed girl that almost every adolescent (or perverted old man) drooled over, but anything else toward normal ended there. Her blonde hair came down in long sheets of curly waves; her blue eyes usually sparkled with bubbly, naive excitement, but now looked burdened with a sense of pain… pain that no normal teen should know about yet. Then again, this wasn't any normal teen. She was an alien. After leaving the car, the two teens spoke briefly to each other before going to the car’s fender. The boy paused briefly before pulling a pair of keys from his pocket, opening up the trunk and pulling out what could only be two small duffel bags. The first duffel seemed to bulge slightly, overloaded with stuff and the boy groaned as he pulled that one out, sending the small blonde a glare which she returned with a smirk. The second duffel was small enough for the boy to simply pull out of the trunk effortlessly and sling over his left shoulder.

The boy slammed the trunk shut and, with a brief look at his small friend, started walking up the mud sleeked road, only stopping to let the young girl catch up to him. The two continued a mile up the road before either one of them spoke.

“Are we doing the right thing?” the short blonde asked, focusing on the road ahead of her for any oncoming cars.
The lanky boy carrying the duffels turned to her with a solemn but firm expression. “We’re doing what we have to do.” He said, harshly. He was beginning to look like a drowned puppy, his clothes drenched, and hanging off him like heavy comforters. But he didn't feel quite comforted right now. His wild hair was beginning to become plastered to his head. If truth be told, he was looking more like a drowned rat than a puppy.

“But is it right?” the blonde pushed, trying to ignore the painful stinging of the hail that marked her cheeks red. The tall boy only shrugged. He couldn't answer that. He wasn't doing this to be right; he was doing this because it would keep everybody safe. The small blonde let the subject drop and the two continued walking for another mile before an unmistakable sound startled them.

The two turned to each other sharply at the sound of the oncoming semi-truck. Even through the violent rain and hail; the truck still made the road shake from its power. The teens took a collective breath before deciding to bolt toward the small ditch on the side of the road they had noticed as they were walking, constantly slipping in the mud, before sliding into the ditch at the last minute, their duffels sloshing them both with wet mud. By the time, the two had settled into the rocky ditch, the semi had grown closer to them. There wasn't much time before the stilled car would be noticed in the middle of the road, if something wasn't done fast. With a deep breath, the blonde girl raised her hand toward the direction of the car they had abandoned a few miles back and, after a few moments of heavy concentrating, the car began to move toward the approaching semi. Neither the boy nor the girl had a clear view of the car in question until it was about a half a quarter mile from their position in the ditch, with the semi still about a mile away from them and the car. The boy noticed that the concentration it took to power the car forward was starting to take its toll on the blonde alien, so with a slight shove of the girl’s shoulder, he made the girl break the connection at the last moment. The car stopped and, moments later, the semi-truck collided with the boy’s small car.

The catastrophic collision the semi and the car made shouldn't have been much of a shock really; any car, no matter how big, wasn't a match for a semi, but that didn't stop the two teens from being unprepared for the devastating impact. Glass was thrown everywhere, in every direction from both vehicles and the initial impact from the semi made the small car cave in, causing it to buck wildly before finally bursting into flames and exploding. The driver of the semi had apparently been knocked unconscious by the initial impact and both teens had to resist the urge to go over and check to see if the man was alright; they couldn't worry about that now. The two had to remain impassive, detached from the situation. So they stayed silent, motionless, as they watched the small car’s flames slowly die away, the rain putting them it out and making everything, even the air, smell like charred charcoal.

“I need to head back to town,” the blonde said suddenly, glancing at her Mickey Mouse watch. The two hadn't said anything to each other in nearly an hour-- since the car caught on fire.

God, she’s too young for this, the tall boy thought, saddened by seeing something as childish, as innocent, as a flash of her Mickey Mouse watch; we’re both too young for this. “How are you going to get back?” the boy asked, shaking his thoughts away. “You can’t walk in this weather.” He was concerned. He didn't want her to get hurt. It was the last thing he wanted. Little too late for that, don’t you think? the boy thought bitterly.

“I’ll manage,” the girl said with a small smile. She always did. The small girl took one last look at the charred wreckage she had just created, trying to bite down the roaring guilt that was slowly sneaking up on her.It had to be done. It had been done to keep their friends safe,she thought, turning away from the wreck, choking down her urge to vomit. She prayed that they hadn't killed the man laying unconscious in the semi. She didn't think she could handle having that burden on her conscious, not with all the others she was going to be the keeper of soon.

“You sure there wasn't any other way, Tess?” The tall boy asked her as she climbed out of the ditch and began to walk down the road.

Tess paused, mulling it over, but she already knew the answer. “I wish there was.” Tess said. “Goodbye, Alex.” She smiled sadly at her friend before continuing to walk down the road into the next town to hitch a ride. She only had three hours to get back to Roswell, get cleaned, and get to the Crashdown to meet her friends. Isabel wanted to talk about the prom, about her date… with Alex. As Tess continued to walk back to town, Alex looked back to the wreckage that lay in front of him, the flames completely extinguished. God, what have we done? he thought, slowly putting his hand over his mouth to hide his erratic breathing as he looked at grisly scene before him. What are we about to do? Alex asked himself. Did they really know what they were up against? Were they doing the right thing by faking his death?

It didn’t matter thought, because no matter how much Alex had pleaded with himself to understand what needed (had) to be done. Even through all the bullshit excuses, he still couldn’t make himself believe that he and Tess were somehow doing (done) the right thing. They were creating deception, even if they were doing it for all the right reasons, doing it to keep their loved ones safe. It still didn’t stop the guilt from gnawing at his stomach; churning inside of him, causing him to picture the grief his death would cause his friends. Grief they would forever be laden with. It was almost too much bear. Almost.

Alex couldn’t look at the wreck anymore. Turning his head back to Tess, he saw that she had made it about a mile up the road already. How long had he been lost in his thoughts? How long had been staring at that fucking wreck?

Alex raised his hand slightly and waved sadly, as he watched Tess’s small form disappear from view. “Goodbye, Tess.” Alex mumbled softly, letting the tears he had held in since seeing the ‘Now Leaving Roswell’ sign, slip down his aching cheek, trailing through the dirt and dripping onto his dirty clothes. Goodbye.

TBC...
/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/

Here's a little bitty trailer to this story:[url=https://www.youtube
Last edited by morethenwords122 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 38 times in total.

I wish you could see me/Dressed for the kill/You're my man of war- (Man Of War, Radiohead)

My Fics

Everythinghappens-Love (My Tumblr)

Ao3 Account

morethenwords122
Addicted Roswellian

Re: You and Whose Army? (AUwA, CC, Mature) Part 2 6/2/2014

Postby morethenwords122 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:28 pm

Part 2

Carolyn:
WOW.......it does appear that we are in for a wild ride.

Yep, Your definitely in for a wild ride!

Tzigone:
So much so that her joy/relief at him being alive might be the only thing that keeps him alive.

I don’t know about that. Alex’s reunion with Isabel and the group won’t be a happy one. Alex has changed a lot since they last saw him… and not necessarily for the better.

But since this doesn't count "Graduation", does that mean she's still married to Jesse whenever she discovers Alex is alive? Ugh, not my cup of tea (not up for love triangles or infidelity).

Don’t worry; there will be no infidelity or love triangle between Jesse, Alex, and Isabel in this story. Alex is not someone who will start something torrid with a married woman, even if it is Isabel. And while Isabel may want to have an affair with Alex, she won’t; her loyalty is to Jesse.

Roswelllostcause: Thanks for reading!

Eva: Thanks for reading and i'm curious to see your feedback as the story goes on

Warning: I know the episode ‘Cry Your Name’ was filled with angst but … it wasn’t filled with this level of angst. I know I overdid the angst a little in this chapter (Hint: and ones to come) but hey, I had to make this story as original as I could. So, some more foresight before diving further into this story, I will take some scenes from some of the episodes at the end of season two but they will be more intense and drama filled then they originally were.

April 23rd, 2001

A few hours later at the Crashdown

Maria sighed happily as she walked outside, taking out the diner’s garbage, to see that the weather had finally cleared up. Unable to resist, Maria spun lazily under the peeking sunlight. It was beginning to fade and turn dark, but some light still remained and had enough power for her to feel the sun-rays beat down softly on her face. Maria hummed happily as she skipped lightly toward the dumpster.

She was still on a nirvana-like high from last night. Maria had thought prom would be an extremely horrible experience in her life after discovering Michael with an older woman earlier that week. But after much needed explaining, along with Michael’s new – really bad – dance moves, not to mention his willingness to actually clean up nicely and humiliate himself in front of his peers, gave the night a magic all its own for her.

The night’s lingering enchantment still glinted in her eyes as she looked at her group of friends, still seeing how the night had played out for the others. It looked like Alex was finally going to get the girl of his dreams, as long as he played it cool and made her wait it out; it wouldn't hurt Isabel to chase after him for a change. Maria had gotten to see Michael make a deliberate ass out of himself to make things right-- and it was all in the name of love. So, in other words, everybody’s fairy tale had come true that night… well, almost everybody’s.

Liz ended up with a broken heart when she had saw Tess and Max kissing in the hallway last night. Maria had immediately felt sorry for her best friend when she was told about it all, especially since Maria herself had been rattling on and on about how wonderful prom was.

But what could she do? She couldn't shake Liz’s silly belief that everything would crumble if she told Max everything about future Max’s visit. And, no matter how much she wanted to, she couldn't make Tess disappear either. It was out of her hands; there was nothing she could do.

Maria’s thoughts were disrupted by the sound of Sheriff Valenti’s- that is, ex-sheriff’s-- size nine boots clunking loudly against the wet pavement. She would recognize his footsteps anywhere; his feet always moved with an authoritative stomp to them.

She turned around and smiled sweetly at Kyle’s father, the man who had helped them on a number of occasions to save their alien friends’ behinds. Not so long ago his help had even cost him his job as sheriff. Maria knew the hybrid’s and everybody else felt guilty about the price the older Valenti had to pay to keep their secret. But, like everything else in her life, it couldn't be helped. Maria knew it was no use getting all tied up in thoughts of ‘what if’s’; she was just happy that they had a friend who was willing to sacrifice so much to keep them all safe.

“Here to see Kyle?” Maria asked as she raised her eyebrow. As much as she loved to see the older Valenti, she was a little unnerved by his presence. He hardly ever visited the Crashdown unless her mother or Kyle was in tow.

“Kind of,” the older Valenti replied shortly, glancing briefly toward his car, parked behind him. He looks ready to bolt, Maria thought with some confusion. If she wasn't unnerved before, she was now.

“Okay… he’s in the dining area.” Maria said warily, pointing to the back entrance.

“Okay.” Jim glanced briefly at the door in question before turning back to ask Maria, with a small smile, “You have fun at prom?”

“Yes.” Maria beamed. “I still can’t believe Michael showed up clean… and in a tux!” Maria exclaimed.

Jim nodded his head.

“But it’s not the first time Michael Guerin's ever surprised me.” Maria shook her head and laughed…. definitely not the first time.

“I’m glad you had a good time, Maria,” Jim said politely. He was looking everywhere but at her.

“Yeah,” Maria said, concern lacing her vocal cords. Something wasn't right. “I really had a good time, especially since I had front row seats to Michael’s lame attempts to get groovy with it.” Maria chuckled.

“Uh-Huh…” Jim said vaguely.

Maria chuckled again as the night slowly come back to her. She put her hands on her hips as she thought of another funny story from the previous night. “Especially when…”

“Maria…” Jim Valenti interjected. She was rambling excitably, obviously still on her high over having one perfect evening with all her friends and her boyfriend.

If he didn't stop her right now, if he didn't say what he had to… right then, he would probably never say it. “Maria…” Jim sighed, playing with his hands. “It’s Alex… He’s…” Jim trailed off, trying desperately to hold back the tears that threatened to fall, tears he had been holding in since seeing Alex’s burnt body at the accident site.

Maria suddenly felt even more uneasy than before; she didn't like the tone of his voice. She didn't like the barely contained misty look of his eyes. Then, suddenly, everything hit her like a lightning bolt, causing Maria to stumble back into the dumpster. “N-No.” She choked, holding her arms out to ward off Valenti’s unspoken words. No! Please! She thought, trying to control her stubborn tears from falling down her face. Please! Don’t say it! She pleaded silently, making her way to the back entrance to get to the kitchen and away from him. She knew what was coming. She could feel it, sense it, and she just prayed silently that the gods would show mercy on her… but then again, the gods had never been that kind to Maria DeLuca.

Mr. Valenti eyes followed her every footstep, still wearing that look of tearful heartbreak and desperation. He paused briefly, before saying suddenly, almost harshly, “He’s dead, Maria. Alex is dead.”

Maria’s reaction was almost instant. “NO!!!!” she yelled frantically, crashing through the back entrance into the kitchen door, then the dining area, into Liz’s confused but comforting arms. Max stood up abruptly at Maria’s uncommon and disconcerting entrance, sending her a mixture of looks, ranging from panic, concern, and slight annoyance.

Maria ignored him and buried her head deeper into Liz’s shoulder. Michael, on the hand, kept trying to get Maria to look at him and tell him what was wrong-- even at some point pleading with her to stop crying and tell him what was going on. But Maria couldn't speak; she couldn't breathe. She didn't want to be touched by anybody but Liz, because Liz was the only one who could understand… the only one who could understand her pain. Maria felt like she was losing a part of herself, a part of her being. It had always been her, Alex, and Liz for so long, sticking together through any alien or human mess life threw at them. They were born being the three musketeers, born to always be together. Always.

Jim immediately informed the other teens of the news; he had seen his mistake with Maria. He had taken too long, been too harsh. It was his own fault; he still hadn't gotten over the shock of seeing Alex’s lifeless body being taken away by the coroners. They hadn't even tried to revive him-- hadn't even given his body a second glance-- before zipping it up; they said it was useless, he had been burnt too badly.

As Jim Valenti told the others the news, Maria noticed, vaguely, the stoic expression on Tess’s face the entire time that Valenti was speaking. Then Maria went into hysterics, her sobs turning to screams.

Even after Liz had heard the news herself, she didn't push her away; she just held Maria tighter… even when Maria started screaming at the ceiling. Michael tired frantically to get his girlfriend to calm down. Max looked away, stunned speechless. Kyle pulled Tess in for a hug. Isabel just wore a blank expression, either not registering anything… or not wanting to. The only time an expression briefly crossed her face was when Maria began her insane chanting, “Alex isn't dead! Alex isn't dead!” Even then, it was a cold and detached look; almost as though Isabel had gone into a permanent ‘Ice Queen’ state… not feeling anything.

Maria wished she could turn everything off like Isabel and just become numb, but every time she tried, it was like she only became more hysterical. Every time she told herself not to think about it, it only made her think about it more… almost to the point that she truly believed she was driving herself insane.

He can’t be dead! Maria thought for what had to be the millionth time since Valenti had brought them the news. She began trying to pull away from Liz’s embrace, but Liz only held on tighter as Maria became downright crazy, No! No! No! Alex can’t be dead! That was Maria’s last coherent thought before she blacked out into oblivion.

TBC...

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/
I'm going to try and post every Monday, if i can :D
Last edited by morethenwords122 on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

I wish you could see me/Dressed for the kill/You're my man of war- (Man Of War, Radiohead)

My Fics

Ao3 Account

morethenwords122
Addicted Roswellian

Re: You and Whose Army? (AUwA, CC, Mature) Part 3 6/9/2014

Postby morethenwords122 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:36 pm

Part 3

Carolyn:

I still cry every time I see the segment with Alex being dead.
This was really a turning point in the series

Yes, I agree! Alex's death was definitely the turning point in the series... but in my opinion, some of the changes were not for the better :lol:

Eve:

let me tell you that I was frightened by some autors about how bad it was to read what they wrote... But I have this bad feeling that you will be even more bad as the others! :wink: :lol:

I don't know if i should be offended or not :lol: No, Just kidding. I agree, I hate it when writers post thing that don't make sense to nobody but themselves and i'll admit, I am a offender of that :oops: I learned my lesson when i did that with 'All Roads Lead To Roswell' and that's why i no longer post anything that hasn't been reviewed by a beta :D

But if in the end, they are all well and safe, maybe I will close my eyes or look away when it's become too bad!

Do you mean my writing... or when this stories unexpected (I hope) twists come along 8)

A/N: Sorry that this chapter is so short but I found myself having a hard time writing for this Isabel I created. Since this is a different timeline, I wanted a different atmosphere for the scenes I took from ‘Cry Your Name’.In this timeline, I didn't want Isabel to let herself feel half the things she felt that she had originally felt in ‘Cry Your Name’, hence the lack of dialogue. I didn't even want her to feel hope, or at least not like I felt she did. I just wanted her to feel numb and I hope that I portrayed that in this chapter.

-/-/-/-/-/-

With each passing moment, Isabel began to grow more and more impatient for Max to come out of the coroner’s van. She had spent the last half hour trying everything to keep herself from running over to the van, yanking the doors open, pushing Max out of the way and healing Alex her own damn self. She had done everything to keep herself steady from playing with her hair to rocking back and forth on the heels of her two feet… the latter had helped to settle the sudden hammering of her beating heart. For a little while she was able to breathe again, to feel normal… like everything would be alright if she just continued to rock back and forth. The rhythm helped her to forget, kept her mind from racing; it kept her head from filling with images… images of Alex. It kept her from remembering that he was dead … until Michael roughly put his hand on her shoulder and shot her a hard glare, causing her to crash back to reality.

Michael’s glare made everything come rushing back to her until everything came back tenfold. It made the cool air she was standing out in seem arctic and it made the street lights that shone down on the beige building of the hospital seem brighter. It made the standing, the endless waiting for Max to come out of the van … or for Alex’s body to be carted away… seem much more real than before. As she swatted Michael’s hand off her shoulder violently and pinched the bridge of her nose, she was hit with a sudden tidal wave of intense dread and desperation that made her almost double over but, at the last minute, she tapped into the defiant denial that had been fueling her since Valenti had given the news of Alex’s death to keep her standing.

Isabel decided to shut herself back down. She couldn't handle the heightened sense of every feeling, every aura that swirled around her violently. She almost wanted to hate Michael for making everything real again; his hand remained her of memories she was trying to forget and emotions she had been successfully running away from. They came back like a brick that threatened to crush her. But she couldn't make herself muster the energy to hate him; not when she knew that Michael was just as worried as she was.

Isabel took a deep breath and lifted her head to take in her surroundings once again… not that they had changed much since she had escaped into her own world for those brief moments. Everybody’s energy and aura was still the same, filled with desperation and an emotion that almost resembled heartbreak, but not quite. The only thing that had seemed to change was that everybody had surrounded the outer perimeter of the coroner’s van. They held hands, their breaths, or each other, but remained silent. She was the only one who was alone as they waited, hoping desperately that Max would come out with a smiling Alex Whitman, trying to make a lame attempt at making light of the situation, trailing behind him.

Isabel didn't remember how they all had formed a huddle outside of the double doors of the van, but then again, she couldn't really remember anything after Valenti had delivered the news. All she could remember, before they all sped away in Max’s jeep to the morgue, was Maria’s hysterical crying. It had taken Michael and Liz about an hour to calm Maria down enough to be able to get her into the jeep. Isabel hadn't really been able to look at Maria, expect with brief glances, during the entire ride to the building. Every time Isabel even dared to sneak a look longer than a glance, she could still see the completely broken beyond repair look etched on Maria’s face and Isabel feared that, if she looked at it for too long, she would become just as broken too. What if I am already broken? Isabel thought. What if I become even more broken then....? Isabel’s thoughts were interrupted when she heard a loud gasp, which she could only assume was from Maria. Following her gaze, Isabel whipped her head in the direction of the van. Max was stepping out … without Alex.

Isabel began to hyperventilate. She couldn't breathe, her breath was turning shallow. It felt like her life force had been knocked out of her. She could only imagine what her aura looked like right now, all muddy and marked with the black recognition of death. She wouldn't be surprised if death was a part of her essence now… she felt like she was dead. That was probably why Max was moving toward her first; her aura probably scared him the most. Her breathing became erratic at the sight of Max’s hands, reaching out to her. They were dripping with blood. Alex’s blood, Isabel thought, with a surreal sense of rationality. She could feel herself having a panic attack. It was all becoming too much. Max reached for her. The blood on his hands testified to the finality of Alex’s death; she knew he only wanted to confront her, but she couldn't stand to have him touch her right now, not with everything crashing into her… becoming real. Not when she was finally unable to tune out the roaring emotions that were threatening to drown her; she couldn't stand anything right now… especially not Max, not after he had touched Alex’s bleeding, lifeless body. She just couldn't stand it. She couldn't stand herself. So she ran away.

She ran from Max’s stunned and hurt face, she ran from his blood stained hands, from Alex’s rapidly cooling body…laying in the van, to be pushed away and opened up for inspection, like some kind of alien experiment. She ran from the memories that were trying to suffocate her.

TBC...
-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/
Last edited by morethenwords122 on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

My Fics

Ao3 Account

morethenwords122
Addicted Roswellian

Re: You and Whose Army? (AUwA, CC, Mature) Part 4 6/16/2014

Postby morethenwords122 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:20 pm

Part 4

Eva:

Isabel is going to freak when she sees Alex again, not to mention the others.

Alex's reunion with the gang will be... unexpected and not at all happy :oops:

EVE:

No, no, I would never critisize your writing style because my english is the one from someone, who has learned another language and does automatically translate directly from french to english...

Oh, No! I didn't think you were criticizing my writing.... I was just teasing you.

Isabel's point of view about Alex's death was painful to read, especially that we know who did kill him...

I'd like to say that it was painful for me to write all these emotional parts of this story but it wasn't... I'm too neutral when i write. I guess that's why i'm able to write angst but who know's?

Let see how you will deal with Tess...

Will be seeing how Tess is feeling in this part coming up :D

Roswelllostcause: Thanks for the feedback!

AN: Sorry for the delay, It was like this chapter didn't want to be posted. Man, did this chapter give me the blues! First, i lost everything i originally wrote for the this chapter and i had to start all over again. Then, I was rushing to get this chapter in on time so my beta could review it for me. So, i think along the way this chapter might have lost it's emotional factor and became more technical. So, hopefully, there's still a somewhat emotional factor to this part :D

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Tess began to fidget as Max slowly approached the entrance of the Coroner’s van, she felt like a brick was suffocating her with each inch he stepped nearer to the van. She had barely been able to breathe since leaving Alex back at that ditch, unable to keep the foreboding feeling from filling up her lungs as she walked back into town; but it wasn't until now — at this very moment — that she realized everything was riding on her.

If she couldn’t pull off the plan, if she allowed herself to fail… then everything would fall apart. She took a deep inhale to keep herself from laughing manically. She thought that destroying the car had been the most important moment in her life, but she was wrong—it was now. If she couldn’t make Max believe what she needed him to, then what happened next would bring its own danger. Everything that she and Alex had worked for would come crumbling down. Everybody she had grown to love might lose their lives. It was enough to make her want to break down and cry, but Tess stuffed her emotions back in; she couldn’t let them rule her, not now. Not if she wanted to do this right. Her focus had to be on Max’s being, his mind. She had to have all her wits about her to be able to connect with him, to be able to perform the mind-warp.

Tess forced herself to put everything into perspective. She knew how Max’s power worked and she knew how she had to proceed. She had to make Max believe he was touching Alex, connecting to Alex’s being, in order to make Max believe he was healing Alex that he was unsuccessfully healing. She wished she had more experience than she actually did in the use of her power. She had never attempted to use her power to this extent before. The closest she had ever been to that level of power she was trying to reach now was when Nicholas and the Skins had invaded Roswell; they had been so powerful, their minds so guarded, that she had been surprised that they hadn’t noticed an amateur like her had gained access to their brains.

But Nicholas and the skins had one fatal flaw which she was sure Max wouldn’t have: arrogance. The main reason Tess had been able to gain entrance to their minds in the first place was because they believed that no one could. She knew Max wasn’t nearly arrogant enough for that scenario to work to her advantage and he was smart enough to know when someone was trying to control him, which made her job much more difficult. This wasn’t going to be like when she had first arrived in Roswell and had hacked into Max, Isabel, and Michael’s minds.

She had initially been shocked at how easy it had been to crack into Max’s mind back when she had tried to make the others realize their destiny; the group would be surprised to know that Max had the mind of a child in the sense that, like a child, he had no clear definition of reality. Everything was about one thing. Whether it was in a realistic or fantasy sense was up to him but, just like a child, he had only one thought racing through his brain day and night: Liz Parker. When she had first tried to connect with Max, she had to immediately sort through his feelings and thoughts about Liz. They were so strong and persistent that, once she thought that she had gotten rid of one, another would bombard her as though Max’s love for Liz was his default. Like something he used to keep himself sane, planted firmly in the ground, Liz was all Max ever thought about. Maybe that was why Liz had been able to connect with him in New York, when no one else could?

Max didn’t know it, but by epitomizing Liz the way he did, his alien side had kicked in and decided to recognize the life source as his soul mate. He had bonded them to each other forever. He had made Liz more alien.

But, unlike last time, Tess wasn’t showing snippets of illusions. She was creating one that had to be believed, not only by him but by the group as well. So, in order to mind-warp him, Tess had to bypass that bond, break it, and replace Liz’s core with her own, in order to access that kind of depth to Max’s being. She really didn’t want to do that.

She didn’t want to become Max’s new soul mate. Actually, she had long ago abandoned the idea of being with Max. Max was just too in love with Liz and it was no fun being in love by yourself, if she really could call what she had once felt for Max ‘love’.

And, despite Liz and Maria’s refusal to accept her in any way, Tess still had grown quite fond of them both. Liz and Maria had something that Tess admired and somewhat adored— they both had drive and spunk, and an unbreakable will that Tess desperately wanted to possess.

Maybe today is the day I possess it? Tess shifted on her feet as Max opened the double doors of the van. She was going to have to possess some kind of will, if she was going to make it through this. She didn’t have much of a choice. Her choice to decide had been taken from her the minute she had placed that book in Alex’s hands and asked him to decode it.

With a deep breath, she began to reach into Max’s mind. It took serious effort on her part, the bond had been stronger than she had originally thought, but she finally broke through. She was finally connected with Max’s Evan’s brain. When Tess finally cracked into someone’s mind, she saw what she could only describe as various strips of film racing through her closed eyelids. It was a film of their memories. Nasedo had told her a long time ago that the only way a human brain could process the data of their lives was through strips of film and, even though they were hybrids, their brains were no different than a human’s.

Max’s brain was no different. She still saw herself having to sort through Max’s film strips, looking for his memories of Alex. There weren’t many, or many that didn’t involve Liz or even Maria in some way, but she was able to find a few when Max had interacted with Alex by himself. They were minor ones, like small hellos in the halls of school, Max asking Alex for advice on how to impress Liz, or working on a ‘project’ for school or adventures of the alien kind… She wasn’t after the actual memories, but the feelings they produced, and Max’s general feeling about Alex was just that he was a good friend… and an even better friend to Liz.

It didn’t really give Tess much to go on; it was easier for her to warp someone’s memories of a person when they had a stronger connection to the object of the illusion; but the memories she found would have to do. She didn’t have much time. Taking another deep breath, she began to lock in on the selected memories she chose and twisted them, seeping the feelings those memories evoked, transferring those feelings to Max.

Tess could feel it as Max began trying to make a connection to Alex. It was a hesitant connection. She could feel the fear and slight disgust Max felt at having to touch ‘Alex’s’ lifeless body. She decided to use that to her advantage. If she could use those feelings coursing through Max right now, she could take them and use them to make the faint connection to the corpse Max was touching. Once she was sure that Max believed he was connected to the corpse, Tess began the process of taking the memories she had taken from Max and transferring them to the corpse laying on the stretcher in the van.

She and Alex had tried to mutilate and dismember the body they had decided would be the replacement for Alex’s body. But they couldn’t do the same to the corpse’s spirit, memories, and mind. The actual remnants of the corpse’s still possessed its core being; everything it felt, desired, and feared. She had to replace all those memories and fears with Alex’s… or illusions of Alex’s… desires, fears, and feelings. The flashes Tess knew he would receive from trying to healing Alex had to feel genuine. They couldn’t feel like flashes of some else’s life.

Somethings wrong... this doesn’t feel like Alex. Tess picked up on Max’s uncertain thought and decided she had dive deeper into Max’s memories and pull out more that didn’t just involve Max and Alex. She pulled some images of Isabel, Liz, Maria, Kyle, herself, and even Michael… and added Alex’s essence to them and placed them into the lifeless corpse in the van, giving him a name: Alex.

Tess could feel her head to begin to ache severely from the excess focus her mind was using on her power. She was exhausting herself so much that she was being to believe her own lies. That was never a good sign; her mind could only access her power for so long before it began to mess with her own memory strips, thus making the illusion become real to her too. If she wasn’t careful, she could be stuck in it forever. The pain got so bad that she could sense herself visibly shaking from it.

When Tess heard someone gasp, her attention was derailed, breaking the mind-warp. She began to breathe frantically, before the severe headache kicked in, she pushed the pain to the side. She didn’t know how long she had been able to hold on to Max’s mind, how long she had held the connection, or even if her mind-warp had lasted long enough to work. After looking around briefly at everybody, she was relieved to find that their faces were turned hopefully toward the van. After a minute, she noticed the hot flowing liquid dripping from her nose… it was blood, a clear sign that she had held on to the connection too long. She quickly wiped the trickle of blood from her nose before anyone else noticed, then turned her attention back to the van and noticed that Max had stepped out… without Alex in tow.

Tess sighed in relief… it worked. She saw Max looking at her with an intense look of desperation; he looked lost, stunned.

It’s happening, Tess thought, His soul was beginning to recognize her as his soul mate. The realization made her want to puke. What have I done? Tess thought.

He didn’t know which one of them to comfort first: Tess, Liz, or Isabel. He seemed to settle on the more logical choice — Isabel’s dark aura made Tess want to go and hug her, but she couldn’t move. Isabel made his choice easier for him as she stumbled away from Max, away from everybody.

It must have been the blood dripping from his hands? That thought shook Tess so much that it took everything she had not to scream for Isabel to come back, that everything was going to be okay; that it wasn’t Alex’s blood. She wanted to tell her that he wasn’t dead; that he was still alive, but her mouth wouldn’t move.

Max looked stunned and little rejected, but he quickly recovered before he looked in Tess’ direction.

No, Max! Tess thought frantically. Liz, Go to Liz!

Tess couldn’t stand the idea of being touched right now. If she let him touch her, she feared that she’d just break down and tell everybody everything. She couldn’t afford that. It was too late to turn back now.

Almost like he could read her thoughts, Max turned and went to hug Liz, but she backed wildly from him. “Go after her, Max,” Liz said coldly. For a minute, Max was taken aback by Liz’s cold demeanor. She had hurt him with her distance. She had hurt him more than Alex’s cold body ever could.

“Yes, Max, go after her,” Tess said, letting the tears fall. She had been holding them in since she had left Alex back on the dirt road. “Isabel needs you.”

She wished silently for Alex’s safety. She wished for him to have made it to a safer location. But most of all, she wished that he was here right now.

TBC...

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

P.S. I keep forgetting to think my beta, the lovely O2Shea :D she's really helped me.
Last edited by morethenwords122 on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Fics

Ao3 Account

morethenwords122
Addicted Roswellian

Re: You and Whose Army? (AUwA, CC, Mature) Part 5 6/23/2014

Postby morethenwords122 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:37 pm

Part 5

Eve:

If Tess's reasons seem to be reasonable, I hate her for manipulating people the way she does...

Tess' reasons are reasonable but your right, she shouldn't be manipulating people... but neither should Alex.

Even if it is to save the world, I guess it is most to save HER own world and nothing else...

Because she could have explained everything to the others but no, it won't go the way she wants...

Tess' could have explained everything to everybody; it's the logical option but she's not thinking that way... she's just worried about the danger the truth could bring.

Carolyn:

Will this really solve all the problems with the curse??

The curse won't effect anyone but Alex... which you'll get a little taste of in this part. Tess and Alex are running from something entirely different.

There is so much emotion involved in this part.......I cry even thinking about it.

Thanks! Not for making you cry but for letting me know there was an emotional factor in Tess' part, I was afraid there wasn't ... but after you get done reading this part... with all the crying that could come your way... i don't think your going to like me very much :oops:

Roswelllostcause:I'm back, my friend! With an angsty and emtional new part!

A/N: I have a feeling everybody is going to want to kill me by the end of this part *Puts on a helmet and hides behind a couch*

The Song featured in this part is '9 Crimes By Damien Rice' Listen when you see this :mrgreen:

P.S. The first segemet in italics is a dream sequence

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

:mrgreen:

“Are you really here?” A figured that looked a lot like Isabel asked.

“No, you’re talking in your sleep.” Alex said more to himself than the illuminated figure sitting next to him. This wasn’t real. He must be dreaming… or Isabel had to be dream-walking him. Panic set in to Alex’s core; they couldn’t be found out now! Tess and he had worked too hard! Alex scratched his eyebrow, trying to portray nonchalance. He had to believe this was a dream, his mind playing tricks on him. He had worked too hard to believe anything else.

“I wish I could talk to you.” Isabel said, tears streaming down her face. She placed her hand lightly on his, rubbing it with a kind of sensuality he hadn’t ever experienced from her when he was alive.

“This is the next b-b-best t-thing.” Alex’s voice hitched when she placed a butterfly kiss to the palm of his hand. He decided to give in to the dream, give in to the fluttering in the pit of his stomach, and the sudden heat that sneaked up on him, threatening to burn him alive with its invisible flames. He reached out and caressed Isabel’s pretty… but heartbroken… face, kissing away her tears. Why couldn’t he have been this bold when he was alive?

“I feel like this is a-all my f-f-fault.” Isabel’s voiced croaked, holding onto his hands that cupped her face tightly.

“What do you mean?” Alex’s brows furrowed in confusion. Then his confusion turned to anger. She couldn’t think…? “You think you had something to do with my death?” Alex spat, snatching his hand back from Isabel’s grip…cursing himself for the loss of warmth.

Her heartbreak was replaced by a confusion that was the mirror of his own just moments ago, “Y-y-yes. Yes, I do,” Isabel moved closer. “If it… hadn’t been for me… if you hadn’t gotten involved with me… Maybe, you’d still be alive.” Isabel grabbed Alex’s hand again and placed it back on her face with an insistence that only Isabel could possess. She wasn’t going to have a moment without Alex’s warmth near her… part of her…. She wasn’t going to lose him ever again.

Alex couldn’t muster the energy that he knew it would take to defy her… he couldn’t deny her, not when she was like this. Besides, he didn’t want to spend another moment without using this dream, his sudden boldness, to his advantage… but he wouldn’t stand for Isabel’s misplaced blame. “We both know that’s fucking bullshit, Isabel,” he squeezed her hand. “Everything we went through these past two years… every moment we shared together… whether they were good or bad…I wouldn’t trade them in for the world… because you are my world.” Alex pulled her closer, hugging her. He breathed in her scent: a mixture of jasmine and the woods, like she had the night they had stargazed in Frasier Woods. Sighing, he was overtaken by the sudden need to be closer. Oh, god! He missed this! He missed being close to her. He missed being the only one to ever see her bring her guard down. He missed her.

“I’m sorry.” Isabel whispered, kissing his neck. She held him tighter.

Alex shuddered. “I am too.” Alex whispered back. They stayed in each other’s embrace for what seemed like eternity, crying and holding each other. He wished this dream could last forever.

But it couldn’t…Alex broke the embrace. “I better go.” He wiped the tears he had shed and got up from his place next to Isabel. He took her in one last time before he made a move for the double doors of the Crashdown, but Isabel grabbed his hand.

“What? No, don’t go,” Isabel pleaded, trying to pull him back into his seat.

“This isn’t helping you.” Alex said firmly, tugging his hand.

“I can’t… I can’t just let you go,” Isabel said. “Not when I already got you back.”

Alex turned away from her; he couldn’t look at her. Not when she was like this. “Isabel…” He paused. “I’m already gone.”Alex pulled his hand away. “I won’t be there when you wake up… and you will wake up.” He said coldly.

“But will I see you again?” she asked.

Alex shrugged. “I don’t know,” Alex turned his head back around. “I think that’s up to you.” He leaned down and kissed her forehead.

Isabel held his head against hers, pulling him in closer. “I love you, Alex.” She kissed him with such intensity that it took everything he had not to completely break down. “I will always love you.”

“You will?” Alex asked, his voice laced with doubt. He had waited since the third grade to hear those words come out of her mouth, but now that they had; he wasn’t so sure he believed them. Isabel kissed him again, leaving no room for uncertainty. She left her mark. The mark of endless love.

“Yeah… well… I love you, too.” Alex smiled, blushing. “Goodbye, Isabel.”

-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Alex was wakened by a painful, vague pounding assaulting his temples. He opened his eyes and groaned as the offensive pounding grew more painful. He must have dozed off after the rain had finally let up and the paramedics and coroner’s vehicles had driven away; he hadn’t even realized how exhausted he had been until his eyes had drooped. Alex rubbed his temples lightly and looked around, trying to remember where he was. He was confused at first, until he remembered he had decided to stay down in the ditch after Tess’ small frame had disappeared into nothingness. He didn’t know why he hadn’t made a move to travel forward; that would have been the smarter choice, but he hadn’t felt safe leaving his hideout yet. So, he stayed … and had fallen asleep, it seemed.

As the drowsiness cleared, Alex was finally able to place the feeling that woke him up. It was an ache, a headache. There were cars passing by. Alex glanced at his aging Timex — it read: 1:42 AM. It was rush hour time for the truck drivers that used this road at all hours, using them as short cuts for their routes, but because of the rumored car wreck that had happened only hours ago, the main roads were even more piled up than usual. Alex turned sharply in the direction of the increasingly loud highway, sinking further into the ditch for better coverage if he still needed to be hiding. The ditch was small but it was also deep enough to conceal him from all the truck drivers, who would be scouting the area, looking to satisfy their morbid fascination with the death that had occurred here earlier.

Looking back, Alex could still feel the panic coursing through him. The panic from when the paramedics had come still hadn’t worn off, not even in sleep. He had feared being discovered then too. He could still feel the hard mud boulders digging into his stomach and ribs, leaving bruises as he covered his mouth, trying to stop his heavy breathing; trying not to alert them to his hiding place.

He could still remember the way he felt when the paramedics began searching his car for his body, until he remembered. Tess had covered that. He had been so wrapped up in his own turmoil that he had forgotten that he and Tess had been carrying a mutilated and dismembered corpse around with them in the front seat of his car the night before; she hadn’t explained how she had gotten it or who he had been and he hadn’t asked. He hadn’t wanted to know the name of the person whose head he had been sawing off.

Alex remembered the grim expressions as the paramedics explained to the new sheriff and Mr. Valenti that his body had been charred beyond recognition. How the head-on impact with the semi-truck had taken his head clean off. They had said that the only way that they had been able to identify the victim was in fact him, was by a picture. It was a picture with him, Liz, and Maria in it; he had always kept it on his dashboard. The paramedics handed Mr. Valenti the picture. He stared at it for such a long time that the paramedics had to politely ask for it back, before saying the only way they would be able to positively match Alex to the body in the car was by the pink slips of the totaled car.

Alex couldn’t help himself. He kept thinking, with a detached sense of wonder, that he had died a horrible death. He no longer had an identity. He was just a number now. Just another John Doe.

Valenti handed the picture to the new sheriff before asking a tall, wiry guy, who had called in the accident, questions as the paramedics began scooping the semi for life. He heard some faint, at times inaudible, yelling as one of the paramedics shouted to another paramedic to call the coroner over again—the truck driver was dead too. He didn’t know why, but a sharp pain invaded his heart when he had heard that. He was killed because of us, Alex thought, rubbing his forehead as the pain in his temples became more intense. He was dead because of me.

He wasn’t even over the State line yet, and he was already regretting his decision to go along with this plan. He missed his friends. He missed Roswell. He wanted to go back. He wanted to hug his father and mother, he wanted to go on forever hugging Isabel… like in his dream, whispering that everything was going to be alright. He wanted to turn back time and throw that damn book out the fucking window… but he couldn’t turn back time. He had to live with now; he had to live with what he’d done.

Alex couldn’t really remember anything after the coroner zipped up the truck driver’s body. He could vaguely hear some talking, more yelling—mainly from Valenti, some more zipping, and the sounds of a tow truck, but eventually everybody but him had disappeared into the night. Alex stayed.

He was frozen. He couldn’t move a muscle. The guilt of his actions was catching up to him, making his stomach turn. He began to dry-heave as the boulders continued to dig deeper into his sides, causing him great pain. He welcomed the discomfort. It seemed fitting, the pain. It seemed he should feel something besides guilt and numbness.

He eventually cried himself to sleep a few hours later. It was the most serene he had felt in months. He was glad he had gotten some peace. He guessed he wasn’t going to get much of that—or sleep— over the next couple of weeks, but it seemed even sleep eventually had worn out its welcome and lost its meaning when Alex was jolted awake by the sharp pain in his head. Alex continued to rub his aching temples, contemplating what to do next. It wasn’t safe here anymore. He needed to get out of Roswell. He needed to get to the next town or, better yet, another state. He decided he needed to leave.

Alex had barely climbed of the ditch before he doubled over in pain. God! This headache! Alex held his head in both his hands before the pain began to get even worse … and then the images started.

Images began to flash through his head at lightning speed, so rapidly that he didn’t have time to process what was being seen. He couldn’t pinpoint anything that looked familiar… no image was something he knew from childhood or stood out to him. The only thing he did know was that they weren’t exactly his memories, flashing through his head— they were of him —he saw himself with various members of the group but the memories seemed too forced. As though they were created by an outside hand; they all appeared too hazy and blurred out to be called old memories. There wasn’t one that he could remember properly. They seemed almost like a kaleidoscope of films — films someone was sorting through, picking certain strips, transferring and sucking the feelings out, until they became smoke of the brain, and then placing them in someone’s—his head— to call his own. The only thing Alex knew for sure was that these images were clearly from some else’s head; they were too distant and lacking his essence to be his.

As the images continued to pass aggressively through his head, the ache in his temples began to build rapidly until he felt like his head was going to explode. His muscles began to spasm to a point that was almost debilitating. It felt like his mind was slipping in half; he could feel his eyes rolling into the back of his head. The pain soon became the only thing he could register. The pain was so bad that he could feel himself shaking from it, convulsing all over the place. All his limbs were in motion, his body flipping everywhere like a fish out of water. Everything was unfocused, blurred to a flash of pain. He was so out of it that he was unaware that he was bleeding from his nose. The blood dripped so profusely that it seemed to come out in streams. All he could remember after that was puking, before the pain became so intense that he fell back into the ditch and blacked out.

TBC...

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

*Come out from behind the couch, holding gifts*

As a peace offering I give you four new videos i made (Which seems more of a gift for me than you :lol:)

Reborn (You and Whose Army?)
The Soul 'Alex'
The Brain 'Tess'
The Protector 'Kyle'
The Heart 'Isabel'

*Note: I have gotten permission from April to use some of her clips and intercuts for my videos. I have not stolen her ideas, i promise :D *
Last edited by morethenwords122 on Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

My Fics

Ao3 Account

morethenwords122
Addicted Roswellian

Re: You and Whose Army? (AUwA, CC, Mature) Part 6 6/30/2014

Postby morethenwords122 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:39 pm

Part 6

Carolyn:

Poor Alex.....not only did he have to leave, but he had those terrible images in his head.

Yeah, poor Alex :( He just keeps getting dealt some pretty hard cards.

Eve:

His headaches; it looks more as if they were mindwarp to me than headaches provocated by the accident, where he wasn't involved in with, because he saw it happen! :twisted:

So I wonder what is all about; Tess saving the world or Tess saving herself... :roll:

Your right about one thing, Tess does have something to do with his headaches but not in the way you might be thinking.

PS Great videa anyway... :wink:

Thanks! that means a lot :D

Eva:

I've got to second Eve here! These headaches aren't normal.

No, those headaches aren't normal but all will be explained in time :twisted:

Oh, Alex, why the hell did you do this?

That's a question even Alex's can't answer.

Even with the background I'm reading here, I keep wondering.

I like how even with all the background, everybody still doesn't know what to make of Tess! I like that... keeping everybody in suspense :D

A/N: Thanks everyone for the feedback! It keeps me going :D

P.S. I was sick all last week... so i may have gotten a little lazy with this part.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Isabel pulled Alex closer, pressing his head against her forehead. “I love you, Alex,” She kissed him, her heart beating with the intensity of it. It took everything she had to let him go, she had to be strong. She’d see him again. “I will always love you.”

“You will?” Alex asked, raising his eyebrow in skepticism. His voice was laced with doubt. She gave him a funny look and rolled her eyes. Did he even have to ask? She had known from the night of the rave at the soap factory that he was the one. Isabel kissed him again, leaving no room for uncertainty. She’d love him till the end of time. She’d love him until she breathed her last breath.

“Yeah… well… I love you, too.” Alex smiled, turning his head away in embarrassment. “Goodbye, Isabel” He took one more look at her before he turned away, disappearing into nothingness.

“Isabel.” Someone called her. She didn’t listen. She just watched Alex leave with a sinking feeling filling up her stomach…. Because people always leave.

“Isabel.” The voice became clear, louder as she crashed back into consciousness.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-

“Isabel.” Isabel didn’t open her eyes. She didn’t want to wake up. She wanted to sleep. To sleep forever… with Alex by her side.

“Isabel, sweetie… honey, come on. Get up.” Isabel moaned, slowly opening her eyes. There was no use denying it. She couldn’t stop the inevitable… Her happiness was over. “It’s time to get ready for the funeral.” Her mother said softly, stroking Isabel’s soft blonde hair. Isabel looked around, taking in her surroundings. She briefly glanced at the old alarm clock on her night stand beside her bed – It flashed red, reading: 1:42 PM. She turned back to her mother, blinking. She wasn’t in the Crashdown anymore. She was awake now, in the real world and that meant…

“It was just a dream.” Isabel said softly. She could feel the tears falling down her cheeks. She had only been dreaming. Nothing had changed; Alex was still dead. “No… It was just a dream.” Isabel gave in to her sadness, letting it overtake her. Yesterday came crashing back to her, each memory like a tidal wave of pain and loss, each feeling making her gasp for air. Nothing was different; the funeral was still today. Alex was still dead. She was still broken.

Isabel continued to cry as her mother cradled her in her arms, offering comfort that only a mother could.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Max huffed as he continued to fuss with his tie. He never had to wear a tie before today. He always thought he wouldn’t have to wear one until the day he got married and then he would have his dad there to tie it for him and give him some last minute fatherly advice. But then again, things never really go according to plan, do they?

He never thought that he and Liz would barely be able to be in the same room as each other. He never thought that all he would think about would be that he couldn’t wait to see Tess again.

He never thought that he would… have a dead friend. He never thought for one minute that one of them would end up dead… especially not Alex.

Alex was life itself. He kept everybody together, he kept them all grounded. He was the soul of this group. What was going to happen to them now that he was dead? Were they going to fall apart? He knew that his sister was having a hard time; he could hear her crying earlier that morning. Was she broken beyond repair? Was he?

Max looped his colored crimson tie through one last hole before looking into the mirror with slight satisfaction, laughing lightly. The red tie was lopsided, curving slightly to the left side but with one last touch, he left it alone; this was the best he was going to get it. He sighed lightly, a small smile crossing his face before he turned from the mirror and headed up the stairs to make a call.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Liz slowly turned her head toward the soft knock that sounded at her bedroom door. She blinked once, crashing back to reality; she had been in a stupor while dressing for the funeral. She wasn’t in any hurry; she hadn’t even gotten around to putting on her black blouse and the formal skirt that she had meticulously laid out on the foot of her bed the night before. If it was up to her, she wouldn’t be getting dressed… she wouldn’t even be going at all … but her mom had kicked up such a fuss that it just seemed easier to give in and go. With a sigh, Liz got up from her spot at her computer desk and walked over to her door, getting ready to open it, but she stopped herself… and looked into the mirror hanging off her door frame; she was still in her underwear and bra. Liz laughed a little crazily at that.

Liz rubbed her eyes, delirious; her sleepless night was finally catching up with her. Everything was finally catching up to her. She kept running what had happened through her head all night long; the annoying questions ripping through her head filled her with rage and desperation. Could she change the pain in her harden heart? She doubted it. Was Alex really dead? Probably. Was it Max’s fault Alex was being put into the ground today? She couldn’t answer that. Her head, the logical part of her body, told her that it wasn’t anyone’s fault… that Alex had gotten his head smashed in by an oncoming semi… but her heart… her heart wasn’t so sure of Max’s innocence. A part of her… a big part… wanted to blame Max for everything. She wanted to blame Max for saving her life that day at the Crashdown but not being able to save Alex’s. She wanted to hate him. She wanted to hate everybody… especially herself.

A hard knock brought Liz back to the present and she opened the door; her mom was standing on the side. “Mom…” Liz said, staring blankly at her mother’s small frame standing outside her bedroom door. Neither knew what to do; her mother had never been good at showing Liz affection or comfort. She had never really been good with feelings. Her mother had never once told Liz she loved her… and when she needed the emotional support from her parents the most… Liz didn’t get it. She didn’t want it. To break the uncomfortable silence between the two, Liz handed her mother the dress jacket she was going to wear to the funeral. “Iron this.” Liz demanded softly.

Her mother blinked at her, taken off guard. She hadn’t expected that. She said, “Liz… Max is on the phone.” Nancy Parker shifted her left hand to take Liz’s dress jacket with a gentle hand and handed Liz the cordless phone. Liz took it with hesitant hands and lightly closed the door behind her. Liz brought the phone to her ear. “Liz,” came Max’s deep voice over the phone line. Liz stared out the window over her computer desk, unmoving.

“Liz… Are you there?” Liz gripped the phone tighter. A blue-jay flew by her window. It was beautiful.

Liz could hear Max sigh on the other end of the line. “Liz… Liz, please… Liz, come on… Talk to me.”

Liz moved her mouth but nothing came out. She wanted to say something, she really did. She wanted to squash the quiet desperation that came over the line in Max’s voice… but she couldn’t; the hate coursing through her was too intense. She couldn’t comfort him… he didn’t deserve it.

“Liz….” The desperation in Max’s voice was almost tangible. “What’s happened to us? I love you and I know you love me… I wish you’d come back… I wish you’d love me again…”

Liz glared at the phone. The rage kept building within her. How dare he! How dare he make a fool of her? She believed in him! She gave him her heart and he threw it away to have a one off with Tess! “Liz! Liz! Talk to me!” She couldn’t take it anymore and, shaking with rage; Liz hung up the phone and smashed it against the wall.

-/-/-/-/-/-

Tess watched as the thick crimson traces of blood washed down the drain of the Valenti’s’ shower. She had never felt so tired in her life, so washed up. She felt like everything, anything she had left inside herself had gone down the drain along with it. She had nothing, she was nothing but herself… and she didn’t even want that. Tess continued to wash the blood off her face; she’d had a hard night. She hadn’t slept, not a wink. Everything kept rushing through her head, panic overriding every reasonable emotion or explanation. She couldn’t help but think that she was a bad person. How could she lie like this? Like it was so easy, like she had no empathy, no morals… just self-preservation. She could have kept thinking that she had done everything she did for her friends, for their safety… but was there a small part of herself… a tiny bitty part of her… that had done it more for herself?

Her headache had continued to get worse over the night. The pain was so bad that, at one point, she had to keep herself from screaming in agony out of fear of waking Kyle and Mr.Valenti… and then the blood started… and the images.

It wasn’t normal. It wasn’t her.

It was like everything just kept spiraling out of her control. She didn’t know who she was anymore. It was like she owned nothing now. It was like Destiny all over again, with her stuck in a corner, caged. She couldn’t think for herself. Once again she was being forced into a life she hadn’t asked for. Freedom all too far out of reach. Everything she had done to find herself was gone… She didn’t even know herself anymore. Why was this happening to her?

Why couldn’t everything go back to the way it used to be? With everybody being safe. Everybody a family again. When had everybody picked sides? Turning on each other? Why Me? Why am I still here?

She didn’t have any answers for her questions. She didn’t have anything anymore. Tess watched as the last traces of blood flowed down the drain.

It might as well have been her too.

TBC...

-/-/-/-/-/-
Last edited by morethenwords122 on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Fics

Ao3 Account

morethenwords122
Addicted Roswellian

Re: You and Whose Army? (AUwA, CC, Mature) Part 7 7/07/2014

Postby morethenwords122 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:01 pm

Part 7

Carolyn:

Wow.....this is an emotional part....and it really makes you think.....
Max thinking of the first time to wear a tie...
No one that age ever thinks about having a dead friend.

I think anybody at any age doesn't think about someday having a dead friend :(

Poor Liz....no emotion or support from her mother.
And Tess with the blood in the shower with the images.....

I always felt that Liz was much closer to her father than she was with her mother and every time that Liz's mother was on the screen i felt that she was colder toward Liz than she should be. I felt that was where Liz got her cold side we saw at the end of season 2 from... as for Tess and the blood/images... that will be explained in time.

Eva:

Grief brings a lot of emotions. A wide palette of different emotions.

Grief affects everybody differently and i wanted to portray that in my story. I even took some of my own experiences with grief and incorporated it into one of the characters.

Tess has the same headachec as Alex?? WTF? What's going on there?

Everything will be explained in time :twisted:

Tess is frightening me with her mad thoughts and her feelings of not being in control!!!

I originally didn't plan on making Tess this out of control but then i began thinking of how i might feel if i was her in this situation... i would feel caged, mad, and out of control. Everything's riding on her shoulders... she just wants to keep everybody safe but she has to lie to do it... and it's tearing her apart... as for your theory about Tess having something planned for Alex... well, we'll see if your right.

A/N:Once again,thanks for all the feedback! I don't know if i would have continued this story if i didn't know that people were invested in it :D :D :D

-/-/-/-/-/-

Michael held Maria’s hand as he turned the key in the ignition. He carefully picked up the map off the dashboard and read the directions the Whitmans had given to all of them earlier that week; they were simple enough since Alex was being buried at the local Roswell cemetery. It was only about six miles up the road from Maria’s house. He sighed, holding Maria’s hand tighter. It all seemed simple enough but… yet… it wasn’t. He hadn’t experienced a time in his life where everything was as complicated as it was now.

Nobody was speaking to each other… the tension that had been building all week between Max and Liz was completely unbearable and nobody, especially him, wanted to be around it. Everybody was starting to pick sides and it seemed that Max’s side was winning; it felt like one of those Sunday morning cartoons where the bad guys fought against the good guys or vice versa. Right now, it was Aliens vs. Humans and Aliens were winning. But that wasn’t the worst of it, at least not to Michael, the worst was that Liz had been cutting Maria off and it was hurting her.

Maria needed her friend. She needed Liz. Michael had been trying to be everything Maria needed right now, but he could feel himself failing. He just wasn’t good at this kind of stuff. He didn’t do feelings and this situation just reeked of it…. Feelings he wasn’t even really feeling himself.

Sure, he missed Alex. He was a good friend, he was a loyal friend and, for a small period of time, Alex had helped him through a rough patch in his and Maria’s relationship. He was grateful for the time he had gotten to know the fair-haired lanky boy…but he wasn’t suffering from the loss… not like Maria was. How could he help Maria when he simply didn’t understand what she was feeling? It made him feel like a horrible person… He didn’t understand what he was supposed to be feeling… He hadn’t been close to Alex…. and now he would never be. He felt like he had missed out on something great by keeping his distance, but then he’d look at Maria’s heartbroken face and everything everybody else was going through… and then he’d feel happy that he had never really known Alex.

“Michael…” Maria said, breaking Michael out of his daze. He hadn’t realized he had been staring off into space.

“Yes?” Michael said, backing out of the driveway of Maria’s house.

Maria didn’t speak for awhile; she continued to stare out of the window for what seemed like forever before she said. “Remember… don’t go over eighty; the Jetta’s engine can’t take it.” Maria paused, buckling her seat belt. She always did that now since Alex’s accident; she always buckled her seat belt now. “You know, your driving sucks.”

“Oh, yeah,” Michael said, a small smile played across his lips. This conversation seemed familiar. “What exactly is wrong with my driving?”

Maria smiled too. She also remembered having the same conversation before. “You do have a tendency to drive erratically.” Maria laughed a little. So did Michael…. But the happiness didn’t last for long; Maria sobered up a few minutes later and went back to looking out her window.

“Michael…” Maria said about a mile away from the funeral home.

“Yes, Maria?”

“You know I love you, right?”

Michael turned his head sharply at her admission. She wasn’t looking at him… she was still looking out the window. Michael took a deep breath; he didn’t know what to say to that. He had never thought about it before. He didn’t know how he felt about her declaration. He knew Maria had loved him long before she had ever said it… but did he love her back? He had deep feelings for her; he always had, but were they deep feelings of love? He didn’t think so. He didn’t think he was capable of it. Love was another emotion he just didn’t understand.

Michael turned his head back to the road ahead and sighed, “I know you do.” He believed her; Maria never said anything she didn’t mean and, for once, he was grateful for it. He was okay with somebody loving him. Somebody had to.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

After smashing the phone against the wall, Liz hastily got the rest of her clothes on and bolted out the door, leaving her stunned mother and father behind. It wasn’t right! It wasn’t fair! How could Max just heap all of that onto her and expect everything to be okay? Nothing was okay, not between the two of them; it hadn’t been for awhile and now…. It never would be.

Liz slammed her parents’ car door and jammed the keys into the ignition. She revved out of the driveway of the Crashdown, raising some eyebrows from the neighboring stores. She didn’t know where she was going and she didn’t care. She quickly forgot the directions to the funeral home out of her mind. She wasn’t going to the funeral; she couldn’t deal with anybody right now, especially not Max, not in the mood she was in. She’d probably end up killing him.

Liz just continued driving, zooming down the main roads of Roswell. She hoped she wouldn’t get pulled over; the last thing she wanted was to deal with the police. If she got pulled over in Roswell, then Valenti would find out and he would tell everybody else and she could do without another lecture from Max. She took a quick look at the speedometer and realized she was going about ninety miles per hour. She smirked bitterly and pushed onto the gas pedal, ignoring the angry honks as she ran every red light that came her way. What gave her the right to live when Alex couldn’t? She was taking justice into her own hands. Everything would be righted again… Everything would go back to normal if she just got into a car accident … like Alex.

Living was becoming a chore to her now. Liz was tired… she was so sick and tired of feeling. She wanted to shut off the emotions coursing through her. Every moment she was awake, she felt like she just gasping for air. Trying to be normal, trying not to be afraid anymore. She didn’t want to run anymore. She was just so sick and tired… that she prayed someone as stupid as she was would just run a red light.

Liz continued with her game of chicken until she was content and, about fifteen minutes short of running every red light, she found herself in a familiar place, a safe haven; a place that had once been like a second home.

She found herself stopping right outside of Alex’s house.

-/-/-/-/-/-

The service was beautiful. Perfect, really. Nothing was out of place. Everybody from town was proper, offering their deepest regrets, saying that it was unfair someone as loved and talented as Alex had to die so young. They hugged the grieving parents and gave their best wishes to all of his friends and family and…. Isabel wanted to slap every last one of them. How dare them! They had no idea how any of them were feeling! They hadn’t known Alex, not like she had. Alex had never been popular, at least not with the kids at school. He was too sweet and caring to fit into the world of high school, not like her. They were the reason she was most pissed. How could they say that they were so sad to see him go when they hadn’t even been sad not to have known him when he was alive?

As people began to clear out, Max reached out for her hand but Isabel didn’t take it… she wanted to stay. She didn’t want to leave with the others. She just couldn’t bring herself to leave Alex. Max understood; it seemed like he wanted to be alone anyway. He said he would be back for her in an hour. She only half-listened… she didn’t care if he ever came back. She didn’t care if she was never thought of again. Why should she be remembered when Alex would be buried underneath the ground and forgotten… left to rot… alone?

Isabel dropped to the ground, unable to hold herself up anymore. Nobody was around; she didn’t have to pretend anymore. She let all her emotions finally take over her, every emotion she hadn’t allowed herself to feel all week was finally washing over her. She sobbed violently, unable to stop herself. Why did he have to die? Was this God’s way of punishing her… because she wasn’t normal? Was she being punished because she was an alien? She knew she was being irrational, God wasn’t that cruel, but her heart didn’t understand… She felt like she was in some alternate universe… she was in hell and every day was a day where every moment meant torturing for her. She felt broken; her heart torn in two. One half was soon to be hidden underneath six feet worth of dirt and the other… was lost among all the other things that Isabel had misplaced along the way in her eighteen years of life. She didn’t know where it was. Maybe it was buried underneath the house keys she had lost back in the sixth grade or stuffed in her drawer where she hid all the love notes horny boys had sent to her over all the years? Who knew? Maybe it was lost in space?

Sobbing harder, Isabel hugged Alex’s coffin. She wanted to be close to him, closer to her heart. She wanted to be buried side by side with him. She wanted to die.

She was dead inside anyway; she might as well be buried along with him.

-/-/-/-/-/-

Max drove his jeep deep into the desert. He had to clear his head. He didn’t exactly know where he was going; he guessed he would end up where he usually did whenever he drove into the desert; near the pods. The pods were like a force of nature, drawing him in. No matter where he was or who he had become, the pods reminded him where he came from. He’d always remember that he was an alien. It was kind of hard to forget but, then again, he supposed he didn’t want to.

Max stopped his car about a mile away from the pods and decided to walk the rest of the way. The entrance to the pods was too narrow to drive up and he didn’t want to draw attention to himself. It was a rare day in the desert; the air was cool and moist. He could feel the cool breeze flow through his styled hair and pass along his face. Cool air was a rare luxury in New Mexico and Max took advantage of it. He lingered outside the rock door that hid the pod chamber, letting the breeze flow over him. He took out a pack of cigarettes out of the breast pocket of his suit jacket. Smoking had become his dirty little secret, a vice that nobody knew about… Well, Alex had known. He could never really hide anything from Alex. The boy was just too observant.

Taking out his cell phone, he decided to dial Liz’s cell number again for the fifth time today. He prayed that this time she’d answer. He was so worried about her. She hadn’t shown up at the funeral. After she hung up on him earlier today, he had expected her to be angry; he also expected her to ignore him all day, but he hadn’t expected her not to show up. It was disrespectful and that was something that Liz just wasn’t… or so he had thought.

Max couldn’t help himself; he kept running through every worse scenario that came into his mind. Was she hurt? Was she lying in a ditch somewhere? Had she left Roswell? She had threatened to leave Roswell during one of their arguments earlier that week but he hadn’t taken her seriously; maybe he should have.

He lit his cigarette as he waited for Liz to answer the phone, but as he expected… he only got her answering machine. “This is Liz Parker’s phone. Sorry, I missed your call but if you leave your name and number, I’ll get back to as soon as I can. Bye.” He took a drag of his cigarette as he angrily waited for the beep. He was sick and tired of this shit! He couldn’t keep worrying about her for the rest of his life! Liz was a big girl, she could look after herself… she didn’t need him on her heels.

He couldn’t keep trying to find something, anything. He didn’t know what… but he felt if he could just find all the right answers … then maybe, just maybe… Liz would come back to him. The Liz, the beautiful Liz Parker he had fallen in love with all those years ago… but with each day, with every fight, or every resentful glare… Max was giving up. He no longer had hope of ever seeing that girl again. Max rubbed his forehead, frustrated. He hung up the phone.

He wasn’t going to do this anymore. He wasn’t going to worry anymore. He was done. Liz was nothing to him now.

Snuffing the cigarette out, Max stuffed his cell phone back into his back pocket and decided it was time to head back to the jeep. He had to go pick up his sister.

She was someone who was worth his concern.

TBC...

-/-/-/-/-/-/-
Last edited by morethenwords122 on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Fics

Ao3 Account

morethenwords122
Addicted Roswellian

Re: You and Whose Army? (AUwA, CC, Mature) Part 8 7/14/2014

Postby morethenwords122 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:04 pm

Part 8

Carolyn:

Max goes to the desert and smokes.....then heads back to take care of Isabel.......has he really given up on Liz?
I hope all of this sacrifice will be worth it in the end.

Has Max really given up on Liz?... No, Max could never give up on Liz. He's just being pulled in a difficult direction.

A/N: The song featured in this part is 'Both Sides Now By Joni Mitchell'Play when you see this :mrgreen:

The section in italics is a flashback sequence

-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Liz ignored her ringing cell phone; it was probably just Max again and she didn't want to deal with him. Pressing the ignore button on her phone, she drove her car up the narrow driveway and parked in front of the Whitman residence. She didn't care if she looked out of place in the near empty neighborhood. They were all at the funeral right now, the funeral for somebody that few of them even took the time to get to know. So who were they to judge her for not showing up?

Even if they had the nerve to judge, Liz wasn't going to feel bad. She was where she needed to be, not at the funeral. She felt that she was sent there for a reason. Maybe she could find something…anything… to prove everybody wrong. There had to be something to prove that she wasn't crazy or a heartless bitch, or merely in denial… because somewhere in Liz’s heart, she didn't believe that Alex was dead…. Because If Alex was really dead… then she would be worse off then she was now.

:mrgreen:

Closing the car door gently to keep from drawing attention, Liz walked up the rest of the Whitman’s driveway and to the left side of the house. She had never been through this side of the house before.

Liz laughed bitterly. That might be because I never had to sneak into Alex’s room until now.

The back yard was scattered with the litter of toys that had turned yellow with age, toys that Alex must have played when he was a little kid… The grass was overgrown; it looked like it had stopped being mowed around the time that Alex had abandoned the toys. Weeds had overtaken the once bountiful rose garden.

Liz could still remember the summer Alex’s great-aunt had came to stay. She could still feel the hot Roswell summer sun beating down upon her nine-year-old face as his great aunt Maggie had forced her, Alex, and Maria to help her plant rose bushes in the back yard. Liz laughed as the memory overtook her, like a tidal wave of happiness. it was a feeling that now felt alien to her.

They all had been miserable that day… planting roses wasn't exactly a nine-year- old’s idea of a good time. Liz could still hear Maria complaining about how all the sun was going to turn her skin into leather as if it had happened yesterday and not seven years ago; she could still remember Alex making some lame joke that caused Maria to slap him on the shoulder while Liz just rolled her eyes as she went back to planting the flowers…but it hadn't been all bad. Alex kept making funny faces behind Aunt Maggie’s back, causing Liz and Maria laugh and, once they finished planting the roses, Aunt Maggie was so impressed with their diligence that she gave each of them ten bucks to spend on whatever they wanted. Alex brought a new issue of Spider-Man, Maria bought some fancy healing rocks to add to her then growing collection, and Liz… well, she didn't buy anything; she just stuffed the ten dollar bill deep into her jeans pocket and began to think up ideas for Christmas.

Liz shook her head, chasing the memory away. She had to keep her mind focused. After a few more minutes of walking and strolling through more memories that the back yard awakened, she finally found herself standing outside of the window of Alex’s bedroom. She sighed with relief; she didn't know if she could handle any more of the memories that Alex’s back yard provoked. She didn't even bother to see if the window was unlocked before she slid the window up with one hand and climbed through; Alex always kept his window unlocked.

She was finally in Alex’s room and she found herself almost saying, “Alex, I swear to God… if you make a joke about this, I’ll kill you!” But at the last second, Liz stopped herself. Sadness overtook her when she realized what she almost did. It was like she had expected his stupid ass grin to be beaming at her when she had climbed through the window. She had really, for a moment, been ready for him to make some lame ass joke about her being so unable to resist him that she had to climb through his window, but the joke would never come and she wouldn't need to kill him… He was already dead.

Liz hesitated before deciding to do what she had come to do. She began to look around and immediately felt a different air in the room. It seemed lifeless, like it was lacking something essential now… a loss of essence. She couldn't put her finger on it exactly, but she had a feeling that she knew what it was… Alex’s smiling face.

Liz cursed herself. When did she become so damn stupid? She felt like smacking herself. She rubbed her face before she began to rummage through his drawers. She wasn't looking for anything specific… she just wanted find something. Anything, to prove she was right… that she wasn't off her rocker. She knew in her heart that Alex was alive out there… or he had been murdered. The suicide bullshit that Valenti had been shoving down all their throats all week was a lie. She knew her friend and he would never commit suicide. He loved life way too much.

Slamming a dresser drawer shut, Liz turned her attention to Alex’s computer desk and began to sift through the stuff on there, opening and closing drawers. She hadn't found anything very important so far, just normal teenage boy stuff. She even found a Playboy hidden underneath a stack of old graded papers and smirked when she saw that. She had almost given up on the desk altogether when her fingers closed over a velvet box and she pulled it out. It was in the shape of a heart… probably some failed attempt to give Isabel a Valentine’s Day gift this year. Liz rolled her eyes, ‘Only Alex would think a heart shaped box was romantic’. Thinking on it, he was probably right; she would most likely swoon a little if she had seen Max pull out a heart shaped velvet box for her back in the day. God, she was such a foolish girl!

She opened the box, her breath catching in her throat as she stared at the sparking object. It was a ring, a wedding ring! What was he doing with a wedding ring? Had he thought of…?

Liz took the ring out of the box and gripped it tightly, holding it in her sweating palms. She didn't finish her thought; everything was coming back to her. She was beginning to remember a conversation that she and Alex had on a sunny day, one month ago.

-----

“I got this in the mail today.” Alex said proudly, carefully unfolding the wrapping paper to reveal a book. It was normal looking, commonplace book and Liz couldn’t understand why Alex was so excited until she looked closer. It was a book of poems… the full collection of Robert Frost’s best poems. Robert Frost was Alex’s favorite poet.

“Really?” Maria said, giddy with excitement for her friend. “Who’s it from?

“Leanne.” Alex said. He was beaming. He radiated life, looking like he had just won a million bucks. Maybe he had? Liz felt a small twinge of jealously… she remembered when she had once looked like she had won a million dollars too… back when Max still loved her and only her. “Oh, your Sweden tryst?” Liz teased, trying to ignore the ache in her heart. This wasn't about her pain; this was about Alex’s happiness.

Alex bowed his head at her joke and blushed furiously. Liz raised her eyebrow. What was wrong with him? She was just joking.

“Oh. My. God.” Maria covered her mouth to hold in a squeal. “You really did sleep with her.” Liz rolled her eyes. Leave it to Maria to be dramatic and take things too far.

“No!” Alex lied, blushing even more than before. He basically just sealed his own fate, Alex was a terrible liar.

“Oh, my God! You did!” Liz yelled with disbelief. She had never thought that Alex would lose his virginity to anyone but Isabel. Just another example of how things never went the way you expect them to.

Alex threw his hands up in defeat. He already knew he wasn’t going to win this one. “Fine!” Alex slumped in his chair. “Yeah, I slept with Leanne.”

“I fucking knew it!” Maria squealed, bouncing on her side of the bed.

“Why didn’t you tell us?” asked Liz, a little hurt. Alex never kept anything from them.

“Because I was trying to avoid this!” Alex gestured toward Maria, who was doing some kind of funny dance on her side of the bed. Liz pinched the bridge of her nose; she loved Maria but…

“Point taken.” Liz shook her head. Sometimes Maria was just too much. Alex shook his head in agreement. The two laughed when Maria almost fell off the bed while trying to do what could only be described as a hip bend.

Maria rolled her eyes at their laughter. “I got to go.” She groaned, getting off the bed. “I promised I’d help my mother close up shop. You need a ride, Liz?”

She shook her head; she wanted to hang with Alex. She had some more questions. “No, Alex will take me home.”

Maria nodded her head and picked her keys off Alex’s desk. “Okay. Bye, my beautiful girlfriends.”

“I resent that!”Alex sounded insulted, but he was smiling. “I’m not a girl.”

Maria rolled her eyes again. “Whatever,” she said as she opened the bedroom door. “You know you love it.” She ruffled Alex’s hair before she walked out of the door and closed it behind her.

“When did she stop taking me seriously?” Alex asked, smiling as he fixed his hair.

“When did she ever?” Liz answered back.

“Good point.” Alex got up from his desk chair and sat on the bed next to her, taking Maria’s old spot. He stared at the present with an odd look on his face.

Liz gently took the present that Leanne sent out of his hand, “Does this mean you've given up on Isabel?” Liz asked, holding the book up to Alex’s face to make her point.

“I don’t know.” Alex swatted the book out of his face. “I love her… I love them both… but for different reasons…” He paused briefly; turning his head toward his bedroom window. Liz could tell that he was hiding something; he could never look at her when he wasn't being honest. She’d figured him too easily.

He rubbed his hands nervously. “I've loved Isabel for as long as I can remember; my love for her is just a part of me now … but with Leanne… We just have more in common and she doesn't jerk me around.”

Liz nodded in agreement. She loved Isabel… but the girl was as fickle as one person could be. It wasn't like Liz couldn't understand why; Max had been hot and cold a lot in the beginning too… but this was different. Alex was too… Alex. She shouldn't be hurting him … no matter what her reasons were.

The two friends sat in silence for the next half-hour, deep in their own thoughts before Alex broke the silence with, “I’m thinking about proposing to Isabel by the end of the school year.”

Liz was stunned speechless, she hadn't expected that… but she should have. Alex was a total romantic. He believed in soul mates, he even believed in fate. And she had too… once upon a time.

“I can see you doing that.” Liz laughed. She was a little bitter. She always thought that her and Max would be married after their senior year… and when future Max confirmed her dream… it made it all even worst. That dream was never going to come true now.

“Just… Don’t tell Iz, alright,” Alex pleaded softly. “I don’t even know if I’m even going to attempt to buy the ring.”

“I won’t.” Liz would never betray Alex’s trust. “I promise.”

“But I better be your best man if she says ‘yes’.” Liz said, smacking Alex’s shoulder playfully.

“What about Maria?” Alex asked, rubbing his shoulder in mock pain.

“You kidding me!” Liz smiled. “She’d kill you if you made her wear a tux… but me on the other hand…I’m…”

Liz didn’t finish before Alex said, “Dying to wear men’s clothing,” He teased.

“Yep.” Liz said. “It’s always been on my bucket list. I always wondered what it was like to walk around in men’s boxers.” The two looked at each other and burst into laughter.

After a few moments of intense laughter, Alex turned toward Liz with an intense storm brewing in his eyes that Liz had never seen before and he asked, “Do you think she’d say yes, Liz?”

Liz turned away and mulled it over. She could see Isabel could easily saying no… but a part of Liz thought that Isabel Evans would never find any other man who could love her like Alex. A part of her knew that Isabel knew that too. “She’d be stupid not to marry you.” Liz said, resting her head on his shoulder.

Yep, she’d be stupid not to marry Alex Whitman.

------

“You’re an idiot, Alex,” Liz spat, jamming the ring back into the box and throwing the box back into the drawer. He was stupid if he thought it was going to last… Love never lasts… especially with someone like Isabel Evans. “A fucking idiot.” Liz couldn't tell if she was telling herself that more than a dead Alex.

She ran her fingers through her hair, trying to rein in her emotions. She sat in the desk chair, slumping against it. She grabbed the book of poems that Leanne had sent which had been left on Alex’s desk, alongside his computer. Liz flipped through the pages with an absent mind; she didn’t expect to find anything in there. She just needed something to keep her mind from wandering to old flights of fancy. Rummaging through poems she had heard a thousand times was better than trying to think up a thousand ways to kill Max Evans.

Liz ran her finger down the smooth page of the table of contents, looking for a specific poem… Alex’s favorite poem. She scanned the left side of the page, looking at the page numbers and found what she was looking for. It was on page two-hundred and forty-two. She began flipping through the pages and found the page number. Her brow furrowed in confusion when she read the altered page of the poem.

The first segment of the poem was taped over with a letter that covered most of it, but she could still see traces of the words through the loose-leaf paper that covered it. The letter was written in sloppy-block letters on a piece of college ruled paper that had been torn in half and taped onto the top half of the page. The rest of the poem was highlighted with a faded-purple marker. Liz didn't pay any attention to the lazily written letter on the top and decided to read the only segment of the poem that was visible, she cleared her throat and began to read out loud:

“The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep
And miles to go before I sleep.”

Liz’s voice choked on the last sentence of the poem; this was no coincidence… this was Alex’s favorite poem. He had tortured her and Maria with it a million times before. She sat up, a bizarre sense of excitement humming in her veins, but she still had to briefly close her eyes to fight against the tears that wanted to fall before she lifted her eyes upward to read the letter that had been taped on the top.

Dearest Liz,

I can’t explain much in this letter. If truth be told I’ll be surprised if they don’t think to look in this book for anything first but understand… they will try to make my death look like a suicide. Don’t believe it!!!

I am enclosing here something on the next page that I trust only you with. You cannot share this with anyone else in the group, not even Maria. The reason I trust you and only you with this information is because I know you will see right through anything that comes your way, through any ploy and I know that you will stop at nothing to get to the bottom of my murder.

Good-bye Liz, and be safe. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer… you never know… maybe your enemy may be someone you are already close to.

Love, Alex

Liz continued to stare at the letter long after reading it. Murdered? Alex was… murdered. She turned to the next page, reading the title of the poem, it was ‘Fire and Ice’… another poem Alex adored. A line of the poem was underlined numerous times with the word ‘destruction’ emphasized. There was some kind of code written underneath all the lines.

“01001100-01100101-01100001” she mumbled out loud, confusion once again washing over her. She didn’t know what it meant. Was it some kind of computer jargon? How was she supposed to figure this out if she couldn’t understand it? Her frustration grew; the answer was right on the tip of her tongue. She could have sworn that she had seen this. This type of code was familiar. She’d seen Alex working with it before. It was… it was…Binary code! Liz jumped a foot in the chair. ‘This must be some kind of location!’ she thought, ‘but what is it?’ Maybe she should try Alex’s computer.

She turned on the computer and, after a few minutes, she began typing the numbers into one of Alex’s computer programs; she was sure the programs, sure that the program she was using was the one most likely to help her because she could remember him telling her about some kind of software he had designed while he was in Sweden. It was just luck that she had actually been listening to him that day when he went into his computer mode and had caught the name of it. She waited impatiently as the program processed the numbers she had typed in and… a few seconds later, a name popped onto the computer screen over and over again, filling up the small computer with one name. A name she had been hearing a lot since Alex’s trip ended. The name was Leanne. Liz covered her mouth and a numb sense of shock filled her body, sending her into overload with all the possibilities that began to cloud her head. Was it possible…?

Liz reached into the side pocket of her blue jeans and took out her cell phone. She found Max’s number and dialed it. He picked up on the fifth ring.

“Yes?” he said with an edge to his voice. He didn't sound too happy to hear from her. She shrugged her shoulders at his greeting. She didn't care. She wasn't happy to be talking to him either.

“Have everybody meet me at Alex’s house, in Alex’s room. I have to talk to you guys,” Liz said with a blank tone to her voice. Everything hadn't sunk in yet… but she knew one thing: everybody needed to know… What? She couldn't tell anybody about what she found, so what could she tell them? She didn't know, but she’d figure it out when everybody got there.

Max didn't answer right away, and it made Liz angry. She rubbed her forehead in frustration. She didn't have time for this. “Max…” she said through clenched teeth.

“Fine,” He finally said. There was a defeated tone to his voice. “I’ll tell everybody to meet you.” She didn't wait to for him to say anything else before she hung up.

She threw her phone onto the desk; the clunk sound the phone made echoed through her head as she went back to staring at the computerized name that flashed on the screen. She finally found what she was looking for; she finally had something to rub into Max’s self-righteous, self-serving face… so, why didn't she feel happier?

TBC...

-/-/-/-/-/-/-
Last edited by morethenwords122 on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Fics

Ao3 Account

morethenwords122
Addicted Roswellian

Re: You and Whose Army? (AUwA, CC, Mature) Part 9 8/8/2014

Postby morethenwords122 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:52 am

Part 9

Eve:

I can't believe that Max turned into such a ass....! And I don't think it is mindwarp but more, his natural caracter! :twisted:

Yes, Max's behavior has nothing to do with a mindwarp. Tess only broke the bond between Max and Liz, she didn't change his personality. While, Max is a good guy... he isn't necessarily a nice guy.

Anyway, thanks and waiting for more because I am still in the dark about Tess and Alex's plans...

More of Tess' and Alex's plan will be revealed in Act II of this story.

A/N: Sorry, i haven't posted anything in awhile but i've had a crazy couple of weeks! but i'm back now and i have a new part.

-/-/-/-/-/-

I’m in Stark, Arizona. Call me from this number--541-222-0919-- at the old pay phone on the back road of Chestnut and Kindle Avenue on the 29th at 9:00PM.

P.S. Don’t forget to bring a dollar fifty for the pay phone. Talk to you soon.

Tess ran her fingers over the neatly written note on the back of a postcard she had gotten in the mail earlier that week; the letters flashed in her head, playing over and over again for the hundredth time, every word, every sentence until they were embedded into her memory. There was no return address, but it was still too risky to keep the card for much longer; she was probably going to have to burn it later tonight. She decided to scan the card yet again; she didn't want to forget anything.

The brief note was written in a sloppy form of cursive, obviously not the owner’s original handwriting. Tess would bet anything that the writer had disguised his handwriting too, if the lopsided positioning of the sentences was anything to go by.

Tess carefully turned the card over to the front. There was nothing special there. It didn't really give anything way, just the name of some town called Stark in North Dakota written… in bold red, white, and blue. Tess smiled a little as she re-read the note again; he was smarter at this than she thought he would be. He didn't mention his name, any real address, and the number he gave her was probably to either a pay phone in the area or to a disposable cell phone. The point was that neither was traceable.

The author of the note was also smart enough to tell her to use the old pay phone on Chestnut and Kindle. It was an aging thing that looked like something out of the sixties and even had an out of order sign hanging from it, but it was a well known fact among the teens of Roswell that it had been fixed years ago by some traveling drug dealer who used it to sell smack without getting caught by the local police. There were some adults that knew this fact too, mainly cheating husbands or wives, who’d used it to keep their affairs a secret from their prying spouses. But what it was mainly used for was drug addicted teens or dealers wanting to do drug transactions with a minimal chance of getting caught.

Yes, the owner of this note was smart, almost calculating in a way. Not that Tess had thought that he wouldn't be… he had probably planned this note out months in advance. She wouldn't be surprised if he had even picked his current location out ahead of time too.

A persistent buzzing in her hip pocket interrupted Tess’ thoughts of admiration of the note. It was just her cell phone. It was probably Kyle or Mr. Valenti, calling to ask how she was doing. They’d want to where she was and why she had snuck out of the house earlier.

She was surprised that she was able to avoid their calls for as long as she had-- especially since she had ducked out of the house after her shower earlier that morning without leaving a note. She felt badly that she’d probably worried them. It wasn't a good time to just disappear without telling somebody… but she couldn't stand to be around anybody at that point in time. She had just wanted to be alone with her thoughts.

Yawning-- her exhaustion catching up to her-- Tess took a look at her watch to check the time. It was 4:30 PM. She shook her head; the funeral had ended almost an hour ago. Time seemed to have gotten away from her as she had wandered around town for a little while, collecting her thoughts. She had spent most of the day sitting on the swing set at the West Roswell Elementary School playground. She had decided earlier that week that she wasn't going to go to the funeral. She couldn't have handled the amount of energy that pretending would have required from her; she wasn't good at faking her emotions like that. With her luck, the overwhelming amount of emotional auras swirling around her would have caused her to have a nervous breakdown and she couldn't afford that right now. Besides, it wasn't like she would have been missed anyway.

After a few more minutes as the ringing from her phone became more constant, more annoying ringing from her phone, she took her phone of her pocket and decided to answer it. She couldn't avoid talking to either of them any longer. Besides, she owned them some kind of an explanation.

Tess didn’t even check the caller I.D. before she flipped the phone open and said, “Kyle, I’m okay. Stop calling me… I’ll be home in an hour.”

“It’s not Kyle,” a deep voice answered back, causing her to tense up. She knew that voice. She’d recognize it anywhere.

“Max?”

“Yep… Tess, it’s me.” Max said nervously, almost edgily. “It’s Max.”

“I know it’s you.” Tess snapped. “What do you want?” she asked, flinching. She hadn't meant for her voice to sound so harsh. She had no reason to be mad or irritated with him… but she was. He shouldn't be calling her. He should be calling Liz.

But Max didn't sound fazed by her harshness when he said, “I was wondering…If I can….” He paused. He paused for so long that Tess began to wonder if they had gotten disconnected, but then she heard him sigh on the other end of the line before he said, “I was wondering if I can talk to you?”

-/-/-/-/-/-/-

“Jim, I looked at every angle… I looked at those files from every which way; I've interviewed everybody I could think of to interview. I even talked to the boy’s teachers, his friends; even his parents… and they’re all saying the same thing.”

Jim Valenti glanced at the cardboard box filled with folders that Sheriff Hanson had given to him earlier that week. All the evidence, new and old, that he had been collecting on Alex’s accident was right there. Jim had read everything with a critical eye since he had gotten it-- Alex’s public records, transcripts, report cards, also eye-witness accounts of the car crash, even his goddamn I.Q. levels and test scores… He had read it all.

Sometimes Jim would read everything twice, trice … looking over every word that had been written down with such intensity that he thought his eyes would bleed. He couldn't help it; it was like he was trying to find something. He didn't quite know what… but he knew if he could just find it… a better answer to this whole godforsaken mess… then maybe… just maybe… he wouldn't have to be the reason that his son’s friends all fell apart.

Jim ran his hand gently over the lid of the cardboard box. Despite his gentle nature and attitude at the moment, Jim Valenti felt like smashing something. Every aspect of Alex’s life was going to be stuffed into one tiny box, left to collect dust for all eternity. Jim swore to himself as he took his hand off the box and ran his fingers through his graying hair. It wasn’t right for a young boy’s life -- Alex’s life—to be summed up in three files that fit into one small box.

Hanson also ran his hands through his hair as he put his hand on his hip, where he had worn his gun over pants of the tux he had worn to the funeral. He spoke a moment later, “Jim… Everybody’s saying the same thing. He’s been distant, distracted, at times irrationally impulsive and extremely solemn and temperamental.” As Hanson continued on, Jim felt like punching him. “I’m sorry, Jim, I don’t want to believe it either… but the evidence is pointing to it.” Hanson paused before whispering, “I’m sorry but that’s my ruling.”

Jim laughed bitterly as he stared at the big red words stamped over the cause of death on the file that Jim had taken out of the box. Jim stared at the smiling picture of Alex that had been taken his sophomore year…. It had been determined that Alex’s Whitman’s death was to be ruled a suicide.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-

The bell over the Crashdown’s double glass doors chimed loudly, signaling a new customer. Jeff Parker turned his head away from the short order cook, who was standing in for Liz’s friend Michael, and walked over to the booth the man had sat in. He rolled his eyes a little before plastering a fake smile on his face as he greeted the unknown man. He could tell by the way the man was dressed that he was a travelling business man and they were always snotty, demanding customers. “Can I help you?” Jeff asked, handing him a menu. Jeff pulled out his notepad before eyeing the man carefully. There was something alarmingly different about the man in front of him.

He was a tall man, almost lanky. His hair was black as coal and his eyes were shielded by a big pair of aviator sunglasses. His clothes were dark in color; his suit jacket was the only item on him that stood out in a sea of gray, but it was all fancy in a way that announced its designer label. That wasn’t what unsettled Jeff Parker; it was the air he projected.

The man had a deadly presence… his whole being was marked with the black, rotting essence of death. His body language made Jeff stand up a little straighter, heightening his senses… Jeff felt the overwhelming air of authority, like a police officer but with the deathly intimidation of a …. Murderer.

Jeff felt like the aura around this man was a ticking time bomb. It was like he was waiting for a reason to strike.

The man briefly glanced at the Crashdown menu that Jeff handed him before he discarded it onto the table; he had an odd look on his face as he did so; like he had touched something dirty, beneath him. “Yes,” the man said, his European accent was rough, but his tone was fussy-- almost prissy. “I’m looking for someone by the name of Elizabeth Parker, Liz for short. I’ve asked around town and they say she works here.”

“Liz is my daughter,” Jeff said, picking the menu up off the table. “She’s not here right now… May I ask what you want with her?”

Jeff could see the man’s eyebrow rising over the rim of his sunglasses. He cleared his throat lightly before saying, “Oh, it’s nothing important…” He laughed a little as he said it. “I just have a few questions for her.” The man looked away briefly to rummage around in his jacket pocket. He pulled out a business card and handed it to Jeff. “So, if you’ll give her this and ask her to call this number, it will be greatly appreciated.” The man finished.

“Yeah, I’ll do that…” Jeff trailed off. The uneasy feeling in his stomach grew and grew. What does this man want with my daughter? Jeff looked at the card; it was fairly standard business: white in coloring with black letters. Jeff realized with vague horror that it had no name…. just a number. What has Lizzie gotten into?

Jeff could hear the door chime ringing as it signaled the man walking out the door. He took his eyes off the card and watched as the man got into the passenger side of a town car and drove off. Once Jeff saw the car disappear deeper into the Roswell, he threw the card in the garbage can and went back to his customers.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Maria removed the jacket Michael had worn to the funeral, and then carefully unbuttoned his long-sleeved shirt as her left hand touched upon the front of his boxers. She rubbed on the bulge there a little, not to jerk him off … but to cause friction. He bit her neck before she heard him moan softly against it… but she had only heard the moan vaguely, from a million miles away. She moaned, too, as she dug her nails into his back, only going through the motions of fooling around with her boyfriend. Every touch, kiss, movement-- every feeling she projected was false. She felt nothing. Nothing except a faint, numbing sense of pleasure and she welcomed it…. It was nice to feel something besides bone-crushing heartache for a change.

She knew on some level that Michael knew this, had accepted it in a sense. It hadn’t been his idea to go parking, but he hadn’t resisted the notion and she was glad that he hadn’t. Because this wasn’t about them, it was about something greater, something stronger than the pain and the sorrow. It was about offering each other a warped sense of comfort. Love.

It was her way of letting Michael show her his love, his comfort… his feelings. She knew that he couldn’t do it any other way. And if she needed to let him fuck her to do it, then she’d let him. She wouldn’t stop it. In her own sick way she needed it more than he did, needed the blinding hunger of lust, of closeness… because in those few minutes that they were intertwined… she felt something that she never did any other time. She felt love, adoration, and pleasure …. And right now, she needed that. She needed it more than anything.

So, she would endure it…. She would go through the emotion and the sounds that she knew would make him happy…. She could handle all of the pretending; if she could feel loved for just a moment.

Michael laid her down gently on the back seat of her car, the rough material of the back seat that had cracked with age scratching her back a little. He pulled out a condom from his wallet before he pulled his pants down the rest of the way and slid his boxers down along with them. He also slowly discarded her underwear before he entered her.

Maria sighed a little as she turned her head toward the digital clock on the radio, staring at its small numbers, flashing in dark red, almost blood red, she thought with a numb sense of surrealism—it was 4:45 PM.

Alex has only been in the ground for an hour, Maria thought briefly before Michael trust forward and her whole body began to explode with pleasure.

TBC...

-/-/-/-/-/-/-
Last edited by morethenwords122 on Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My Fics

Ao3 Account

morethenwords122
Addicted Roswellian

Re: You and Whose Army? (AUwA, CC, Mature) Part 10 8/10/2014

Postby morethenwords122 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:09 pm

Part 10

Eve:

Who is the man who has asked for Liz? an alien again, because Mr Parker had a bad feeling about him and I do to... especially with him, not telling his name which can only meant troubles!

I'll give you this...The man looking for Liz isn't an ailen but you are right not to trust him... because he is something extremely dangerous.

And with whom was Tess talking to? Another enigma... could it be Nasedo or one from the NY aliens?

I think you'll be surprised to know that Tess is talking to someone that you already met

Anyway, now that Max isn't anymore bonded to Liz, he is starting to feel attracted to Tess; not sure of the result because this girl is only looking for her own plans but that he became an ass must be the explanation!

You think Max is an ass now... wait until you read the chapter after this.

Carolyn:

why does Max want to talk to Tess now.....????

You'll find out in this chapter.

A/N: I won't be able to post anything new this week coming up so... i decided to post two chapters in one week. Sorry that this chapter is short but the next chapter will make up for that.

/-/-/-/-/-/-

Max glanced at Tess’ gloomy, distant face as he parked his car a couple of blocks away from the cemetery; he had almost forgotten that he still had to pick up his sister. He turned off the ignition with a quick flick of his hand and settled into the soft silence that surrounded the interior of the car. Tess hadn't said much to him since he had picked her up from the playground a while ago.

He still didn't even know why he had called her in the first place; his fingers had dialed her number before he had even realized what he had been doing… before he could have stopped himself. At the time, he had decided to chuck his impulsive response to Liz’s unexpected call. Her demand that he have everybody meet her at Alex’s had frazzled him in a way that Max couldn't explain any more than he could have explained his call to Tess…. but once the phone had started ringing, he had let it, welcoming the constant unanswered ringing in his ear.

And Max had realized by the third ring that he actually needed to really talk to someone neutral, someone on the outside that he could unleash all his feelings onto. He hadn't even known how close he was to breaking until he had pressed that call button to Tess’ number. He hadn't even realized that he had such pent-up feelings of rage and sadness, which threatened to choke him every time he breathed too deeply…. He hadn't even known he was that angry, that resentful until Liz had called and hung up on him.

Besides, Tess seemed like a safer bet than Michael, who would have just probably have just told him to be a man and stop bitching. And he couldn't burden Isabel with this. His sister was already on a tightly thinned rope, barely hanging on to her own sanity. She didn't need his feelings piled on top of her own; she was one step away from breaking down completely, and to burden her with anything else would be like handing her a loaded gun and leaving her to her own devices. Isabel couldn't handle this, not right now… she was already on the verge of doing something desperate—like killing herself or running away… and Max couldn't live with being the cause of either of those scenarios.

“So… Liz wants to talk to us, huh?” Tess asked as she played with her hands.

Max looked up, surprised. That was the first thing she had said to him since giving him the directions to her location so he could pick her up.

“Yeah,” Max tilted his head slightly, trying to see Tess’ face better. “She said she wanted us to meet her at Alex’s.” He could see the lines in Tess’ face tighten at the mention of Alex’s name… but she didn't say anything, just went back to staring out of the window on her side of the car.

Max raised his eyebrow as he said, “You weren't at his funeral either… Why?” he asked. He had a good idea about why Liz hadn't shown up and he was sure that it had something to do with him… but Tess?… He hadn't the slightest clue why she hadn't shown… and it was bothering him.

“I needed to be alone,” she said. “Why do you care, anyway?” she asked, facing him again with a questioning looked etched on her face.

The look took him off guard. Tess had never been that bold with him before; she usually just went along with what he said. She never questioned him… or asked him questions. Not like that anyway.

So… Did he? Did he care? Max looked away from her questioning gaze, drumming his finger on the steering wheel of his jeep. He mulled her question over. The question was simple enough; it should have produced a simple enough answer… But he had trouble coming up with an answer…. At least an answer he liked. But in the end … he guessed he didn't care that she hadn't shown… but that didn't mean that he had liked the lack of her presence.

Max turned and answered her. “I was a little surprised,” he lied. He hadn't been at all surprised that she hadn't shown up. It wasn't like she was really welcomed. “I knew you two were kind of close near the end.” That wasn't a lie. He had noticed that the two had been more chummy than usual since Alex’s return from Sweden. He also knew that it had bothered Isabel to no end.

“Yeah,” Tess said softly, so softly in fact that he had trouble hearing her. “He was a good guy…I really liked him.” She finished and went back to playing with her hands.

Max nodded his head in agreement. Yeah; Alex had been a good guy. No, Alex had been a great guy… but that didn't really matter now, did it? He was just a great guy who was buried underneath six feet of dirt now. Max inwardly scoffed, When you’re dead it doesn't really matter how great you were, does it? Max shook his head at his question; no, he guessed it really didn't.

“Have you told the others yet?” Tess asked, breaking Max out of his thoughts.

He shook his head, No… he hadn't called the others yet.

Tess only nodded her head, and the two returned to a comfortable silence; each in their own world. Max couldn't help but like Tess’ presence… her silent understanding, her silent comfort.

Unlike his parents and some of the other people at the funeral, Max didn't feel the overwhelming need to fill in the silence, to prove over and over again that he was okay… because he wasn't. He was nowhere near okay… but he couldn't tell his parents; he didn't want them to worry, nor did he want some random person to offer their superficial comfort. He didn't need that shit and he didn't want it. And some part of him… deep down… knew that Tess understood that…understood that part of him. That she knew him in a way that maybe Liz never could… that Liz never would.

Maybe Tess understood that. As much as Max wanted to be a good guy, as much as he wanted to be the a hero, as much as he wanted to be the man people expected him to be… she understood that he wasn't. Maybe he was really just a bad person at heart… someone bad pretending, wishing, hoping to be good… and maybe sometimes; it was just nice not to have to pretend any more.

On some level… maybe… he understood that she understood that, and with one last lingering look at Tess’ pretty face, he took his phone out of his breast pocket and began dialing the gang’s cell phone numbers one by one.

TBC...

-/-/-/-/-/-/-
Last edited by morethenwords122 on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Fics

Ao3 Account

Return to “Alternate Universe With Aliens”