Kingdom of fools (CC M/L TEEN/MATURE) Ch 5, 3/11/07 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

Joque
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Kingdom of fools (CC M/L TEEN/MATURE) Ch 5, 3/11/07 [WIP]

Post by Joque »

Title: Kingdom of fools
Disclaimer: I do not own Roswell, I am just borrowing it for a while but I promise to give it back. Within in this Fanfic I have used speech/scenes from the episode Riverdog and could not have written it without doing so.
Pairing: CC M/L
Rating: TEEN/MATURE, contains some strong language and will have mild violence later on.
Summary: When Liz goes to meet Riverdog she doesn't return.
Author Notes: Err...well, this steamed from a oneshot I wrote a while ago and then lost because I deleted my entire writing folder by accident. (I still hate myself for that) So I was rewriting it when it just became...gigantic. So, I hope you enjoy it but just beware that I have no beta ^^

Prologue

Liz started back towards the jetta, disappointment flooding through her. She hadn't found anything. And now she had to go and tell Max that, something she was most definitely not looking forward too - he hadn't even wanted her to come out here in the first place.
Liz sighed; she'd wanted to do this for him, for them. Guilt had been welling up inside her for the past month as she'd watched the events unfold. Max saved her life and this was what he got.
A sudden noise from behind caused Liz to spin around, her eyes looking wildly at her surroundings.
"Hello?" She called out instinctively, not at all surprised when she received no answer. Turning back to the car, Liz hurried the last few steps and opened the door only to be stopped by a hand gripping her wrist.
"Give me that."
Liz looked up from the hand holding her wrist and stared at the man in front of her, the same man the peddler had told her to say away from.
"Who are you?" Liz asked, trying to keep the fear out of her voice and failing miserably.
"Please." The stranger said, releasing her wrist.
Slowly, Liz held her hand up for him the take the necklace.
"Where did you get this?" He asked her but his eyes never left the necklace.
"We just found it." She replied, excitement building up inside her. He recognised it!
"We!" The man questioned, his eyes snapping up to meet hers.
"No." Liz denied nervously, taking a small step back at his harsh demeanour. "I found it."
"Who else knows? How many know? Tell me!"
"No one else knows."
"How did you know to come here? Were you followed?"
"No, I wasn't." Liz said in a rush, she need to find out what he knew. "I...what does this mean to you? Please tell me."
The stranger looked at her closely, considering her plea.
"No." He said almost absently, and before Liz could think of a response he grabbed her wrist again and a blinding light surrounded her.
"But I can show you."

--

ROSWELL GIRL MISSING, LOCALS FEARING THE WORST
November 4th, 1999

The alarm was raised early yesterday morning when the parents of missing teen Elizabeth Parker (pictured left) failed to appear for her morning shift at the busy Crashdown Cafe. Nancy Parker is reported to have gone upstairs, thinking her daughter had just slept in, to wake her. But instead she found every parents worst nightmare - her daughter was not there. A report from the Sheriffs office claims young Elizabeth's bed had not been slept in and that there was no sign of a struggle.
In an interview late last night, Sheriff Valenti has said he believes the young girl might have, like a lot of teens today, snuck out to meet a friend/boyfriend. The sheriff is currently questioning Elizabeth's close friends and family but so far there are reportedly no leads. When pressed by reporters the Sheriff admitted to have ruled out the possibility that the teen had run away.

"Liz is a straight A student, she's a smart girl with a good life. There is no evidence to suggest she would run away, there's just no reason for her to do so."

Meanwhile the local residents of Roswell have been visibly shaken by the current news.

"We're in the Crashdown every Sunday," Local woman Jo McLean said about her and her husband in an interview with us yesterday, "Liz was always there, she's been working there as long as we've been going. I...I can't imagine going in there now. Not until she's back with us again."

"Liz is a sweet, well spoken girl...I just don't want to believe she might not come back..."

"This is our town, and the people in it are our Family," Congressman Jim Dale told us, "And we, the people of Roswell, will do anything and everything to help this girl get home." He said speaking of the communities plans to mount a search party.

The neighbouring county's have been alerted to the situation and are now working closely with the Sheriffs department.

Continued on pg 9...

Max stared unseeingly at the paper as he absorbed the information, or lack there of. The article didn't tell him anything he didn't already know. And he didn't know anything which meant the Sheriff didn't know anything which meant they were getting absolutely nowhere.

"Damnit!"

He needed to get out there, to the reservation. The Sheriff didn't know she'd been out there, so they wouldn't even think to look. Liz could be there, hurt, lost and he was just sitting at home! Doing nothing but reading Newspapers!
When they had first realised Liz hadn't come back Max was already half way to the Jeep by the time Michael had caught up with him. An argument had ensued that had at least half the school gaping in shock and Max had been forced to stay by Michael's reminder. They're watching us.
Max didn't care about that; he didn't care if the entirety of Roswell followed him out there, as long as he got Liz back. But Isabel and Michael did care. It was their lives on the line as well. So they waited. It was second period when, one by one, they had been taken to the offices to be questioned by the Sheriff and if Max had thought Valenti was tough with him before he hadn't seen anything yet. The minute he walked into the room he had been slammed against the wall, accusations thrown in his face.
He was the Sheriffs number one suspect, even if no one else knew it.
Any form of plan they might have been able to come up with went out the window because now, not only had the FBI tightened their watch on them but they had the Sheriffs department tailing them as well.
And Liz was still missing.

"Damnit!" Max cursed again, his frustration growing. He needed to do something, anything.

"Max?"

Jerking his head up at the sound, Max's eyes widened in surprise at the sight of Maria standing at his window.

"Maria, hey..." Hurrying over, Max helped the shorthaired girl through the window. "How are you?" He asked hesitantly.

"Ha...good question, I'll be sure to let you know, when I know." She said, somewhat bitterly.

"I...I'm so-"

"Don't apologise, Max." Maria said, cutting him off. "You've been doing that for the past two days and I've been telling you that it's not your fault. Liz would've gone out there anyway." She finished, a wary smile on her face.

"Yeah." Max agreed, even though he didn't believe it. This was his fault. No one could convince him otherwise.

"Listen, Max...I, I think we should tell the Sheriff where she was," Maria started cautiously and when it looked like Max was about to object she continued onwards, "The sheriff knows she had my Moms car, they're going to find it eventually and maybe they'll find Liz with it...I just, I just want her back Max." She said, her voice trembling slightly.

"I know." Max said through the lump in his throat, he wanted her back to, more than anything.

"I...I understand that we can't explain why Liz was there, but - but it'll give them a place to start, you know? And-"

"Okay." Max said suddenly, walking to sit at his desk.

"Okay?" Maria echoed back, her expression clearly showing her shock. "Just...okay?"

Max smiled lightly, "Yeah. I, I've been thinking the same thing but Michael...well, you know."

"Yeah, I do."

--

"You do realise that you're screwing us completely, right?" Michael all but yelled as soon as Max sat down.

"Michael, shut up." Isabel snapped, her own anger at the situation coming through. "This doesn't screw us, its just adding yet another suspicion and hey? What's one more?" She said sarcastically, pacing back and forth in front of the kitchen table.

Max had called a meeting to fill them in on what he and Maria had discussed the night before and so far, things were going about as well as he had expected.

"I know what I'm asking, but all we have to say is that Liz was there. Not why, just that we know she was." He said, looking between the two of them, trying to gauge their reactions.

"Maxwell, have you been outside lately?" Michael bit out, "They're not even trying to hide themselves anymore! They're letting us know that they're here, that they're watching us and that one wrong move and we're..." He made a slicing movement over his throat. "Gone."

"Look, Michael-"

"Who would tell him?" Isabel questioned suddenly, her expression anxious. "One of us? Or Maria?"

"Maria..." Max answered as he turned to look at her, staring at her as if she were his lifeline but before he could explain the details Michael interrupted him.

"Wait, so you're saying Maria's just going to suddenly remember why Liz borrowed her car? She told Valenti she didn't know, she can't just suddenly remember!"

Max rubbed his eyes tiredly, he didn't care if Maria had to say she'd seen it in a dream, he just wanted to get on with it - they were wasting time. Lucky for him though, Maria had thought of that.

"She's going to give him a list of where she thinks Liz might have gone, she made up some story that they sometimes go out to the reservation to get away."

Silence.

"Well..? Are we doing this or not?" Max said after a moment, his voice urgent.

"Okay, Maxwell. Let's just get this over with."

--

A day later, they found the jetta but there was no sign of Liz. Max had heard, via Maria, that the driver's door was open when they found it but nothing indicating a struggle. The Sheriff had cornered off a large part of the reservation and this morning the search parties would be scouring the area. The article in the paper had made it clear that they were not looking for a body, but for anything that could lead to the possible whereabouts of Liz, unlike the News report that morning had said.
Max's jaw clenched at the thought. No. Liz was alive, they just needed to look in the right places and finally, Max had a viable reason to be out there.

--

"Alright, listen up!" Deputy Hanson called out over the chattering crowd. "We're heading out now, what you are looking for, apart from the obvious, is clothing, tracks of any kind--if you see something you think needs looking into just call over one of the officers." He said, pointing them out unnecessarily. "Okay, let's head out!"

The lines they had formed moved as one as they made their way across the landscape, moving slowly. Max, Michael and Isabel were in the back row and waited to be pointed in the right direction.

"Are you sure we should be here Max?" Isabel asked quietly as their group began to move, "I'm worried about Liz as much as you are, but don't you think this is a little-"

"We're concerned Friends, Isabel. Nothing more."

Max and Isabel paused and stared at Michael.

"What?"

"Nothing." Max and Isabel said in unison.

Half an hour later the search was still underway though nothing had been found. Max's gaze stayed glued to the ground as he took everything in, his eyes so intense it was almost as if he were willing the earth to somehow open up and give Liz back. Every now and then he would hear a quiet sniffle and it hadn't taken him long to pin point it's origin. Nancy Parker was walking with the group to his right and Max wondered briefly what she was doing out here; the older woman shouldn't be putting herself though this but then again, Max realised he could say the same thing about himself. She was here because she wanted to do something, not just sit at home wondering.

Another hour and a half later the search parties gathered back at the starting point after marking where they'd left off.

"We'll take a break, refuel and then head back out." Hanson started, "We've had people turning up through the morning so we'll swap those people who need to leave out, just let Officer Owen know and he'll sort it..."

--

The search had found nothing, they had been going out there everyday for the past week and every time they came back empty handed. Michael and Isabel had stopped going on the third day, while Max had stayed, needing to be out there. Alex too had been there since day one and today the Sheriff had announced that they were calling the search off, that they hadn't found a single lead and were going to peruse other options. Aerial searches were going to continue though; not that that made any difference. The town's people had all but given up the thought that they would ever see Liz again. It was as if a dark cloud had settled itself over Roswell and was making no indications it was moving anytime soon. They rumour mill hadn't exactly been helping the situation either.

A soft tap at his door brought Max back to the present. "Yeah?"

"I thought you might be asleep..." Isabel whispered as she entered his room, closing the door quietly behind her. "I should have known better." She smiled but Max noticed the smile didn't quite reach her eyes.

"Iz? What's up?" Max asked worriedly, sitting up as his sister sat down on the edge of the bed.

"Have you spoken to Maria lately?" Isabel asked, chewing her lower lip lightly.

"No, not since she told me about the Sheriff finding the car...why?"

"Neither has Michael," She began; bring her legs up underneath her. "In fact he said he tried talking to her today when the search was called off but she just avoided him."

"She's bound to be upset, Iz."

"I know that." The blonde said, nodding her head absently. "But...this afternoon at school, I was leaving when I saw Alex out on the field. I thought I'd go and, you know, see how he was doing but when I got closer I saw that Maria was with him." She took a breath and looked at Max. "They were fighting, Max. And not the kinds of fights best friends have, this wasn't just a disagreement - Alex was yelling at her to tell him what was going on, accusing her of hiding something from him."

Comprehension dawned on Max's face, "Do you think he's-"

"Talking about us?" Isabel finished for him. "Yeah, I do. Not that he knows it..."

"What is it?" Max asked carefully, knowing there was something his sister wasn't telling him.

"It's...you didn't see Maria Max, she looked...she looked defeated. One of her best friends is missing and she has to lie to the other one constantly. I didn't even think...all this time I've just been thinking that Liz would turn up and then we'd just have to think of a way to cover our asses again but..."

"Isabel, what are you trying to say?"

"I..." Isabel turned and slowly stood, her arms crossed over her chest. "I think about how hard this must be on Maria, and then I think about Alex. All he knows is that his two best friends were lying to him about god knows what and then one of them goes missing and the other..." She stopped, looking Max directly in to eye. "I think he deserves to know the truth, Max." She said almost pleadingly, "I just...I want to at least give him one of his best friends back."

--

ABDUCTED? STILL NO SIGN OF MISSING TEEN
November 19th, 1999

As the story of missing teen Elizabeth Parker draws out the local residents of Roswell, New Mexico have begun to speculate the possibility that the young girl was 'abducted' in the night. The story has stemmed from the leaked Sheriffs report printed in yesterday's Newspaper (recalled earlier yesterday morning by request of the Sheriffs department) that, as of right now, there are still no leads to the girls' whereabouts. The report noted that there were tracks they believe to have been made by Elizabeth as she made her way back to the borrowed jetta (owned by family friend Amy Deluca and found at the Mescalero reservation earlier this month) but that's as far as they went. The Sheriffs Deputy has also been quoted as saying: "It was like she just disappeared, the tracks lead right up to the car and then...nothing."

Yesterday the Sheriff dismissed the rumours as "local -expletive deleted-." And also commented on the throng of "Alien groupies" that have been flocking to Roswell.

"...None of this nonsense is going to help us find Miss Parker. These people are not here to help and have proved this by badgering not only the local community but also the Parker family themselves, causing them to close down their business yet again. I strongly recommend that these people move on; there is nothing for them here."

Cracks have begun to show in the faces of the Roswell Sheriffs department as the search continues to kick up nothing but dust.

UFO abduct-y claims to have seen missing teen...pg 5

--

"You're serious?" Alex said slowly, not quite believing what he was hearing. "You...you actually think she might have been...abducted[/i]?"

Maria stared back at Alex, her face clearly showing that yes, she knew exactly how crazy she sounded. "I know it's..."

"About as unlikely as Max, Michael and Isabel being aliens? Yeah, and how wrong was I about that!"

Maria laughed, her first real laugh for the past few weeks. "Yeah, yeah..." She agreed, nodding. Once the blonde had gotten the ok from Max she had immediately headed over to Alex's house to tell him the truth, finally. She knew it was hard to believe, sometimes she still didn't believe but Alex...Alex had gone into shrink mode as soon as she had finished talking - thinking she was under too much stress. Maria laughed again as she remembered, in the end she had had to call Isabel over so she could prove it.

"The look on your face," She giggled suddenly, "when Isabel changed your guitar pink!"

"Hey! That was not funny! It was a threat to my masculinity!" Alex cried indignantly, though he couldn't quite keep the smile off his face.

"I'm sorry for, you know, everything." Maria said softly, her smile gone. "I wanted to tell you, we wanted to tell you..."

"I know and hey, I understand. Now, anyway..." He replied, shrugging. "Just you wait," Alex smiled again, "till Liz finds out I've been accepted into the 'I know an alien club'!"

They both laughed.

--

By the end of November everyone's hope that they would find Liz alive and well had faded even though the Sheriff continued his search. The complete lack of substantiated leads had discouraged the towns' people and they were now slowly going back to their lives.
All but a select few.

Max, Michael, Isabel, Maria and Alex had continued to meet at least twice every week, poring over stolen reports and re-following up on leads that had yet to actually lead them anywhere. Only one person claimed to have seen Liz that night and so far no other witnesses had come forward and it didn't look like any more would.
Isabel had been trying to dreamwalk Liz since the first night she'd been missing and the blond still hadn't gotten through and she only continued out of habit - not hope.
The group of teens still refused to believe Liz was dead because surely, if she were dead, the Sheriff would have found something. But as his reports showed, Liz had, to all accounts, simply disappeared.

"Maybe," Alex said into the silence that had fallen over the group, "you could dreamwalk the lady from the reservation? She might have, like, blocked out clues or, or simply not thought they were relevant to the case." He finished, speaking directly to Isabel.

"That could work, right?" Maria said before Isabel had a chance to respond, her expression hopeful.

Isabel looked uncomfortable as everyone's eyes were suddenly focused on her. "I'm not sure..." She started hesitantly, "She would have to be dreaming of it at the time...I can't, I can't make her dream it..."

"But, you can go in and just, I don't know...look around?" Alex said, at a loss.

Isabel glanced at Max and Michael before looking back at Alex. "Yeah. I can try."

--

Isabel settled down on her bed, the newspaper clipping Alex had supplied laid out in front of her.
She wasn't sure if she would find anything in the dream but for the first time in a long time, she felt a glimmer of hope. She just hoped the Native American woman was a) asleep and b) dreaming of the night Liz went missing.

As it turned out, she didn't need to worry about whether or not the lady was dreaming of that night because as soon as Isabel entered the dream she knew that it was precisely what she was seeing.
Liz slowly walked onto the porch-like set up, looking over the stalls display and Isabel fought the urge to run over and hug her. They weren't exactly friends but they had been getting there.

"A beautiful bracelet for a beautiful Lady." The woman appeared before Liz, holding up the bracelet in question.

"Oh." Liz said in surprise and Isabel took a few steps forward till she was standing in front of the porch. "Yes, it is really lovely. But I was actually..." The brunette took the necklace out of her pocket, holding it up for the woman to see, "looking for something like this. I was just wondering if you've seen this symbol before or if you know what it means."

She studied it for a moment, "It means 'tree of knowledge'."

"Really?" Liz asked, clearly disappointed.

"Actually," The older woman said, smiling. "I have no idea what it means, but it looks old." She said helpfully.

"Right." Liz laughed lightly, "Yeah. Do you know what-"

Isabel took a step back as the scene before her seemed to blur suddenly, her eyes widening as the outlines of the woman and Liz became indistinguishable from each other.

"What's going on?" She asked, not sure who she was talking to but needing to ask the question anyway.

"Who was that?" Isabel heard Liz ask and the blonde franticly looked around, trying to catch a glimpse of whom Liz was talking about but everything surrounding her was nothing but a mess of colour.

"Stay away from him." The woman replied and Isabel heard the warning in her voice.

"Stay way from who?!" Isabel questioned loudly as the scene began to clear before her. "Who was it? Who did you tell her to stay away from?" She cried, rushing to stand in front of the older woman as dream-Liz walked away. "Tell me, please."

The woman looked at her, her eyes wide. "W-who are you?"

"Please! You told her to stay away from someone, who was it?!" Isabel said urgently, feeling the pull. The woman was waking up.

"I need you to tell me!"

The woman opened her mouth to reply and-

-Isabel woke up.

--

The blonde was still shaking by the time Alex and Maria turned up, Max having called them at her behest. Michael had already been there.
Both boys had attempted to get her to talk while they waited but she had silently refused, she was still trying to put it together in her head and she wanted the others to be here before she tried explaining it.

"Isabel?" Maria said uncertainly, worry etched on her face. "What...did you see Liz?" She asked, her voice hitching slightly.

She nodded. "I, I did."

Everybody stayed quiet as they waited for Isabel to elaborate.

"She was dreaming about it as soon as I entered," She started quietly, picturing it in her mind as she spoke. "Liz was looking at the display of jewellery when the woman tried to sell her a bracelet. She declined and asked about the necklace and the woman made something up about it meaning 'tree of knowledge'," Isabel smiled. "But then said she didn't know, but that it looked old. Liz was asking something and then..." She stopped as she tried to find a way to describe what she had seen.

"And then..?" Max asked, his expression showing her he was expecting the worst.

"And then the dream, it...it was almost as if it...glitched. Everything blurred and even though I could still hear them, I couldn't see what was happening. I couldn't see Liz or the woman, or even the site around them - it was just a mess of colour." Isabel looked up, her eyes tearing slightly. "Liz asked who someone was and the woman warned her off, telling her to 'stay away from him." The blonde repeated. "And then everything cleared. I tried to ask the woman who it was but before she could answer I woke up...she woke up."

The group was silent as they took the new information in, each of them lost in their own thoughts.

"So," Michael said, a little louder than necessary, "there was someone else there? Another witness?"

"Or a potential suspect." Max said, his voice hard.

"But...I mean, what can we even do with this information?" Alex asked, "It's not like we can take it to the Sheriff."

"He's right Max," Isabel said regrettably, "we can't take this to him and there isn't much we can do either. I didn't even see the mans face..."

"We can't just do nothing!" Max exclaimed, rising to his feet. "We finally have something and I can't...I can't jus-"

"Maxwell, I know what you're thinking and the answer is no fucking way!" Michael barked out, "We can't and you know why."

"I will do everything I have to Michael! Liz's life is at stake because of me, because of what I am! She went out to the reservation to find answers to our questions and now..." Max stared at Michael who glared right back. "I'm going to Valenti." He said after a moment, his voice unwavering.

"What?!"

"Max!"

"He's the only one with the resources," Max said over the objections, "I'm doing this."

Michael stood up, his expression furious. "You can’t make this decision by yourself, Max. Not this time!"

"He's right Max, we all have to agree." Isabel put in, staring at the two boys as they squared off. "If we tell Valenti, he'll know everything."

"Thank you." Michael told Isabel, backing off slightly.

"Maybe that's a good thing...if Valenti knows," Max clarified, his voice somewhat calmer. "He needs all the facts, at the moment he's looking for a needle in a haystack."

"All you're going to do is expand the haystack Max, we don't even have anything concrete."

Max ran his hand through his hair, his frustration growing. He just wanted her back! And he was willing to pay any cost, as long as Liz was safe. "I'm not putting this up for a vote, this is Liz's life, I won't do that." Max looked around the group, noting for the first time that Alex and Maria had stay silent during their clash. "What do you guys think?" He asked quietly, ignoring Michael's muttered, 'like you care'.

Maria was the first to answer. "I agree with both sides," She stated, shrugging. "I want Valenti to know all the facts but at the same time I don't want to endanger you guys, I just...I don't know."

"Neither." Alex said after Maria had finished, "This is...its Liz's life versus yours, there's no way to choose."

"It doesn't have to be that way, Valenti isn't necessarily-"

"Maxwell, wake up!" Michael cut in, "Valenti would turn us over without a seconds thought!"

Isabel stood up suddenly, walking to stand between the two boys. "This is getting us nowhere!" She announced, glaring at Max and Michael. "We're not going to agree anytime soon so, seeing as it's" She paused to look at the clock, "quarter to midnight, I think we should get some sleep and talk about this in the morning." Isabel glanced around meaningfully. "Okay?"

"Whatever." Was Michael's reply and with one last glare at Max, he let himself out.

"Right." Alex said awkwardly and glanced at Maria, "We're off then."

"Thanks for coming over so late." Isabel said softly while Max simply nodded to them as they left.

"I'm not going to change my mind, Iz." Max said as soon as the door closed behind Alex, "I'm doing whatever it takes."

"Max," Isabel stressed, "you can't make this decision for us. We'll think of another way...just, just give it time."

"Time?" The dark-haired boy said with a humourless laugh. "Time is the one thing we don't have!"

"I know. We're all worried in-case you hadn't noticed!"

"Really?" Max questioned, "Because from where I'm sitting it sure doesn't look like it." He said accusingly.

"Max! Wh-"

"Don't." Max interrupted her, his voice tried suddenly. "Forget it...I'm, I'm gonna go for a walk." He said, striding towards the door.

"Max..."

But he didn't look back as his sister called for him.

--

Max kicked a stray rock out of his path as he all but stormed through the park, his mind working overtime. He knew it was wrong of him to have said what he said but his frustrations at their circumstances were beginning to get the better of him. They couldn't do anything themselves and no one would agree to tell the people who could do something! Even though he was the last person the Sheriff could or would trust he didn't think the man would turn them over to the feds so easily. Valenti was, if nothing else, a man of strong moral values.
Cursing quietly to himself Max continued his stomp through the park, needing to walk off his anger.
If they didn't act soon they could lose Liz forever. He didn't know how, but he knew she was alive...somewhere. What he didn't know was how long he could go on with just a feeling. He needed to find her.
Halting suddenly, Max turned his head to the side slightly straining his ears.
Oh. Right.
Of course he was being followed, he thought dourly. The sheriff had let up a week ago; putting his full resources into finding Liz but the FBI were nothing if not persistent. The group weren't sure why but a day before the search began Topolsky had left Roswell, not even brothering to tie up loose ends.
Sighing, Max continued his way along the path, his pace faster. He didn't think they would risk grabbing him with all that'd been going on but it would sure make him feel better if he were in a less secluded area.
As soon as Max was out of the park, he slowed again, still not ready to return home. It's not like he'd get any sleep tonight anyway, he hadn't slept a full night since Liz had disappeared and he wouldn't again until he knew she was safe.
The streets of Roswell were quite, as they should be for this time of night and Max found himself walking towards the Sheriffs station almost unconsciously. As the dark haired boy came closer he noticed the light in the sheriffs office was, unsurprisingly, still on. He knew the Sheriff had been burning the midnight oil ever since he'd become aware of the situation and he'd heard Kyle talk about his Father's work habits often enough at school not to know.
The closer he got, the more Max wished he could just go up and tell the Sheriff everything. They knew now that there had been someone else at the reservation that night but knowing didn't get them anywhere and even if they could find the woman, she wouldn't have any inclination to actually talk to them. Max couldn't even go and just tell the Sheriff that he knew there had been someone else there...what would he say? The woman obviously didn't remember it. If he wanted the Sheriff to take him seriously he'd have to tell him the truth. The whole truth.
Now Max stood directly in front of the main entrance, his eyes trained on the doors but his feet stayed rooted to the pavement. Isabel was right. They all needed to agree; if he were to go in there now and share all their secrets...Michael and Isabel would never forgive him.

"Guilty conscience?" Said an all to familiar voice from behind him and Max slowly turned to face the Sheriff.

"I can't imagine why else you'd be out here...especially at this time of night."

Max swallowed hard, his eyes not quite meeting the other mans. "Couldn't sleep." Was all he said.

"Yeah, that's been doing the rounds lately." Valenti replied, "Glad you're here actually, I just got some new equipment in today," He said, pointing to where his car was parked. "Would you mind giving me a hand?"

As Max put the last box down he turned to find the Sheriff studying him and he shifted uncomfortably. "That was the last one." He said, indicating to the box on the floor.

Valenti nodded, "Thanks for the hand," He said and motioned to the cup he was holding. "Drink?"

"No, I...I should probably head home." Max said and was almost at the door when Valenti's voice stopped him.

"You know something." It wasn't a question so Max didn't answer; instead he turned slowly to face the Sheriff again.

"Listen," The other man started, stepping closer. "I've had you watched since the minute I found out about Miss Parker and I knew after the first week that you had nothing to do with it." He said, looking Max straight in the eye. "I know I've never done anything to make you think you can trust me, I'm not proud of what I've done but... If you know something, anything, you have to tell me."

Max stayed silent, conflicting emotions running through him at full force. On one hand he wanted so desperately to acknowledge everything the Sheriff had said, to tell him what he knew. He wanted to trust him. But on the other hand the Sheriff had been right. He had never done anything to deserve Max's trust and could easily turn on him. On them.

"What's it going to be, Max?"

But Liz...Liz was everything to him. He could turn away now and wait for another opportunity to find out about the mystery suspect or he could share his biggest secret with the one person he never thought he would and maybe, just maybe, be closer to finding Liz.

As if in slow motion, Max nodded.

--

SIGHTING IN FRAZIER WOODS CONFIRMS SUSPICIONS
December 2nd 1999

The reported sighting in Frazier woods has only been adding flue to the fire in the case of missing teen Elizabeth Parker. Last month certain groups in Roswell claimed the girl had been abducted and with the young girl still missing this latest incident has done nothing to disprove them. The sighting, which was first reported in by local hiker 'Buzz' was also seen by five other witnesses. Sheriff Valenti has made no statement yet but has cornered off a four square mile area in Frazier woods close to where the young girl was last seen.
The newly formed 'True Believers' club (formed last month after these rumours first began) have been protesting outside the Sheriff's station after being forcefully removed from the perimeter of the recently placed barricades in Frazier woods.

"We have rights!" Screamed one protester early last night and after our field reporter managed to calm him down he had this to say: "Sheriff Valenti is a fine Sheriff but as of now, he is out of his league. This is a sign, they're trying to tell us something." When asked what he thought the aliens were attempting to say he replied, "That she's (in reference to Miss Parker) safe. That they have her."

Whether or not you're a 'true believer', the people of Roswell require a resolution in the Elizabeth Parker case and, it would seem, some of them have found it.

Sheriff under fire...pg 3

--

They had found the symbol left by the 'sighting' with the help of Valenti, something Michael had yet to acknowledge and they were still none the wiser to what it could possibly mean but at least it had gotten Michael talking to Max again. After he had learned what Max had done, Michael had refused to be in the same room as him...well, that's after he'd given Max the shiner of the century. Max took it all; he didn't regret a single thing. The information he had passed on to the Sheriff had given the case its first real lead and Valenti had instantly put his full resources into finding the man. He had re-questioned the woman from the reservation and it seemed all she needed was a little push in the right direction, so to say and then she had supplied them with his description and name. There had been a week where Max was sure, really sure, that they were on the right track and then, out of nowhere the leads went cold. They hadn't found anything new for the past two weeks and anyone who'd had contact with Max in those weeks knew without a shadow of doubt that he was at the end of his rope. He didn't sleep, hardly ever ate and none of his teacher's could tell you the last time they had seen him on school property. His quest to find Liz had taken over his life and Max knew it. He refused to stop, refused to just sit back and wait for someone else to do all the work. The Sheriff had been given warning from the council that if Liz was not found by the new year then his funding for the search would be cut off. They had given him an extension when he got the new leads but now they were back to nothing and the resources would be better put somewhere else.
Max had never been so angry in his life.
There was nothing Valenti could do now; his hands were tied. The Council had already gone over and above for this case and they could do no more but that didn't change the fact that they were putting someone's life on a deadline. The Sheriff said he wouldn't close the case, no matter what happened, he would keep the case open for anything that may come out in the future and now it was less than two weeks till Christmas and Max still refused to give up. Isabel and Michael had stopped trying to get him to as well, they helped when they could but more often then not Max didn't ask them to. They were slowly moving on and Max didn't want to stop them from living. He'd watched with more than a little jealously as Michael and Maria had found solace in each other, the same Isabel had found in her friendship with Alex. In the old days their relationships would have caused a hailstorm of discrepancy between the aliens but now, now it was something they needed. The rulebook had been well and truly thrown out the window and Max envied what they had.

--

Christmas was fast approaching when Max got the phone call he'd been dreading since day one.

"Hello?" Max said into the receiver as soon as his Mother left the room.

"Max. It's Jim."

"Sheriff?" Max said sending Isabel a worried glance, "What's going on? Did you find something?" He asked, his voice half hopeful and half anxious.

"I got a phone call this afternoon from the Sheriff in Albuquerque..." Max felt his heart speed up and his breath became slightly shallow.

"Sheriff?" He said, a touch more urgently this time.

"I'm sorry Max. They found her body early this morning..."

"No." Max denied, his voice barely above whisper. "No."

"I know it's hard to hear," Valenti continued, his own voice sounding pained. "They've done the tests Max. It's her..."

"No. I-it can't be. She's alive." He rambled, "You've made a mistake." He said, his voice getting louder. "I, they can't know for sure...she's..."

"I'm sorry."

"NO!" Max screamed suddenly, gripping the phone hard. "You've made a mistake! She's-"

"She's dead, Max."

"LIZ IS NOT DEAD!" He roared and the phone exploded in his hand, shards flying everywhere.

"Max!" Isabel yelled and ducked as stray fragments of the phone flew her way. "Max! You have to calm down...Max!" But she wasn't getting through to him. The right side of his head was bleeding from when the phone had exploded but he didn't seem to notice. Both his hands clenched at his sides as he continued to rage, lashing out at the room around him and Isabel was for the first time in her entire life afraid of her brother. Before she could blink Isabel felt a stab of pain at her side and she barely moved in time to avoid being hit by the various things now flying around the room. She watched as Max unknowingly created what looked like a small whirlwind with his belongings, her horror at the situation reflected in her gaze. She didn't know what to do, didn't know how to help him.

"She's not dead! She's out there and...and she needs me. I have to find her!" Tears streamed down his face as he spoke and he slowly sank to his knees, the wind around him dying down slightly. "She needs me." He repeated, his voice hoarse with emotion.

"Max..." Isabel lowered herself onto the floor; carefully not to twinge her bruised side. "Max?" Her voice came out shaky and Isabel cleared her throat. She needed to be stronger than this. For Max. If this were anything to go by Max would need her, would need everybody to get through this. Oh god, Liz was dead...

"Kids? Is everything ok in there?"

"Max?" The blonde repeated and ignoring their Mother's call made her way over to him. Reaching out, Isabel gently laid her hand on his shoulder and almost flinched when his eyes met hers. The wind died out completely but she didn't notice. There was so much pain in Max's eyes that she had to fight not to look away and was relieved when Max finally looked down.

"Max..."

"She's gone." He whispered brokenly, more tears spilling down his face. "She's gone." And before Isabel knew it her brother was sobbing in her arms, his howls of anguish muffled only slightly.

"I..." Her voice broke as she tried to comfort him and her own tears fell, she didn't have any words of comfort because she knew nothing would ever take this pain away. So instead, she let her own grieve through, clinging to her brother as he was clinging to her.

And that's how their Mother found them only minutes later.

--

TRAGIC END TO A YOUNG LIFE
December 15th 1999

The story of missing teen Elizabeth Parker has flummoxed local law enforcement for the past two months and caused speculation from the public of abduction but early Wednesday morning the case was brought to a close when officers from the neighbouring city of Albuquerque found a body they believed to be young Elizabeth. The body was found in a rural hunting area alleged to be the murder sight and after the correct tests were completed it was proven to be Miss Parker. A post-mortem was carried out and the authorities have concluded that she was killed by means of strangulation.
The announcement made early Thursday morning sent shock waves through the community, many of who still believed the teen would be found alive.
Meanwhile, in the same announcement Sheriff Valenti has vowed to catch the person or persons responsible for this horrific crime.

"We will find who did this and they will be held accountable. Miss Parker didn't deserve what has happened to her and neither does her family."

The Crashdown Café, owned by Elizabeth's parents has been left in the hands of family friends and has now become a place of mourning, flowers and wreaths covering the pavement. The reservation has also been inundated with flowers and candles alike, people from as far away as Florida having sent their condolences. Life in Roswell has been turned on its head and is now grieving for a girl taken before her time. A private funeral for close friends and family will be held later this week while a memorial ceremony will take place tomorrow at the Mescalero reservation near where the young girl was last seen. Congressman Jim Dale is encouraging the community to attend the service.

"Nothing could have prepared us for this outcome, we knew it as a possibility but I certainly never thought it would come to this. I strongly encourage the people of Roswell to come tomorrow in the hopes that we, as a community, can move passed this."

Our hearts and thoughts go out to the Parker family in the wake of this tragedy and we wish them a safe, if not a happy, Christmas.

--

The funeral was a quite affair in all senses of the word, the people gathered still in shock and not ready to believe Liz was gone. Jeff and Nancy Parker had only stayed for the traditional parts and then they had fled to a place unknown. Max couldn't imagine what it must be like for them, to lose their only daughter. Maria, expectedly, was a complete and utter wreck, holding on to Alex for dear life as if afraid he too would leave her. As Max sat at the table he watched the people around him wondering, not for the first time, if this ache, this loss would ever fade. If he would continue to ask himself everyday what he could have done differently, what he could have done to stop this. The Sheriff insisted that the murderer was human, that Liz had simply been in the wrong place at the wrong time yet no one could explain how the person had covered his or her tracks so well.
As soon as the news had spread Max had half expected Alex or Maria to turn up at his door, to hold him responsible for their friends death but they had only done one of those things and it wasn't the one Max was expecting. They came over late, offering comfort even when they had nothing to comfort themselves with. They really were true friends; they forgave him when he couldn't forgive himself.

"Maxwell." Michael acknowledged as he sat down beside him. "You want something to drink?" He asked in a would be causal voice.

The spiky-haired boy had also been a surprising form of support, he didn't sugar coat anything and he didn't try to coddle him. He was just there, being normal Michael and that was comfort enough for Max.

"No, but thanks."

The other boy nodded and they fell into a comfortable silence.

"It'll be okay you know." Michael said unexpectedly, glancing at Max out of the corner of his eye. "It sucks, it's painful but it'll...it'll get better." He finished with a shrug.

Max smiled slightly and nodded.

Maybe it would. Maybe it wouldn't. He'd just have to wait and find out.

--
TBC
--
Last edited by Joque on Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:29 am, edited 6 times in total.
Joque
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Chapter One

Post by Joque »

A/N: A big thank you to my new beta, Shivvlan! ^_^ Thanks so much for the feedback, I really appreciate! Here's the next part - I hope you enjoy it! I'm in the middle of moving house at the moment but I will endeavour to update my story as much as I can.

Kingdom of fools

Chapter One

November 1st, 2000

Max started slightly as Michael dropped down to sit beside him, his previous thoughts scattering at the other boy's suddenly appearance.

"Brooding?" Michael asked, shifting to a more comfortable position on the bench.

Max laughed humourlessly, "Well, I was." He replied sarcastically. It was the truth after all. Max had been sitting here in the park for an hour now, brooding, for lack of a better word and he couldn't think of one right now anyway. He'd only meant to pass through the park but the bench looked like a good place to just sit and forget. Of course the minute he'd sat down all he could do was remember. Remember what date it would be tomorrow; remember what a mess his life had became and his so-called destiny that had been shoved down his throat recently.

Okay, maybe brooding was the right word.

"Thought as much."

Max was sure he could have come up with a witty retort to that but his brain refused the request. It was already on overload. In the past few months he had found out more about who they were then he ever cared to recall and his brain yet again betrayed him. Every detail of it flashed into his mind if he so much as thought about a Will Smith burger and then, well, then it would lead to a whole different bunch of issues and right now, he just wanted to forget. Forget that Liz was gone; forget that he was apparently 'destined' to be with Tess, a girl he didn't know from Adam but was somewhat drawn to. He knew it was stupid but even so, just the thought of being with Tess made him feel dirty. Like he would be betraying Liz if he so much as looked at the other girl the wrong way. When Tess and Nasedo first showed up in town and revealed themselves their group of five had closed ranks, not letting them in an inch. Even now they weren't completely accepted, though Nasedo getting the FBI off their backs had helped somewhat.

"She bugging you again?" Michael asked with his usual bluntness and Max didn't even have to ask whom he was talking about. Tess was a lot of things but subtle was not one of them. She had dropped the destiny talks a few weeks back but it didn't make much difference, almost every time Max turned around there she was. The blonde may not be saying much but she made her presence known and every time they saw her they remembered what Nasedo had told them about their past life.

"When isn't she?" Max said, his voice sounding bitterer than he intended.

"Good point," Michael laughed, "she sure is determined."

They fell silent for a moment before Michael spoke again, his voice serious this time. "Are you going tomorrow?" He asked vaguely, knowing Max would get his meaning.

The dark-haired boy closed his eyes at the reminder. Tomorrow would mark the first anniversary of the day Liz had gone missing and there was going to be a memorial at the reservation. The council had organised it with the Parkers and it had been announced at the beginning of September. They hadn't been sure when to do it at first, the third of November when she was first discovered missing or the thirteenth of December when they found her body? They had settled on the second of November, the last time she had been seen alive but Max didn't want to remember at all. The Sheriff had never found the person responsible though the case was still open just as he had promised.

First moment anything weird happens, anything at all, you come back.

I promise.

"Maxwell?"

Max glanced at Michael. "Yeah, I'm going."

--

The line of cars heading out to the reservation was a sight to see and Max was sure if someone were to drop into town the place would be deserted. He could make out the jetta a few cars in front of them, Maria and her Mother; his parents were behind them while he, Isabel and Michael were in the jeep. He wasn't sure where Alex was in the long line of cars but he was here somewhere and the Parkers were leading the line. The air was sombre already as they made their way out and Max could feel every muscle in his body tensing as they neared the reservation. He hadn't been back since the failed searches and he wasn't sure he wanted to ever go back--but he owed this to Liz.

The cars slowed as they started to break away, each finding a place to park in the surrounding desert and soon they were heading towards a makeshift stage where a large picture of Liz stood. Max stopped in his tracks as he spotted the picture, his eyes glued to it. She was smiling; her eyes alight in that way that made his insides melt. Her dark hair cascading down onto her shoulders-

"Max?"

His eyes flew to his sister and he shook his head slightly before continuing his path, his heart racing. It was like she was really here, for just that moment, like she was laughing over the whole thing.
The crowd slowly walked forwards, bringing flowers and candles to place at the base of Liz's picture each pausing as they lay their tributes down, sending a prayer Max supposed. He really wasn't sure what they were actually doing here, they were here to remember, he knew that much, but Max remembered everyday - even when he didn't want to.

The assembly of people gathered around the stage watched the flowers mount as people continued to lay them down. Max spied Alex through the crowd and nodded his head in greeting before turning to peruse the people around him, many of whom he didn't recognise.

"You've got to be shitting me!" Max heard Michael whisper harshly behind him and he turned quickly, sharing a look with his sister before looking at Michael, a questioning look on his face.

"There." Was all the other boy said, indicating through the crowd and Max followed his gaze and his eyes lit on whom Michael was talking about instantly.

"Tess." He growled out. The blonde was standing with Kyle and his Father and he didn't have to be a mind reader to tell she hadn't been invited. Valenti's face was hard and he stared straight ahead while Kyle kept sending Tess nervous glances out of the corner of his eye, clearly uncomfortable. Though, that wasn't really much to go on. Kyle was weary of all of them these days. He had found out about them when Tess had unsuccessfully tried to use him to get to the five of them. It hadn't been pretty.

"What the hell does she think she's doing?"

Max shook his head. She knew they'd be here this morning, they had told her there plans but they also told her, in detail, why they didn't think she should come along. Tess always seemed to find a way around these things. At first they thought she was just clingy, seeing as she hadn't been with them long but after a while of her being everywhere they were and constantly showing up uninvited the group had put even more distance between them and her. She just wasn't right.

"Should I go-"

"No. Don't play her games." Max interrupted, he was sick of doing that. "Just act like she isn't here...and hope Maria doesn't see her." He added as an afterthought. Maria didn't like Tess on the best of days and he didn't want to see the fireworks if she were to see her right now.

Michael cringed at the thought. "I'll go calm the storm." He muttered and disappeared into the crowd.

"Maria?" Isabel asked, watching Michael leave and Max nodded.

"Calming the storm."

"Ah."

Silence fell over the mass of people as Jeff Parker walked up to the stage, stopping once he'd got there to brush a hand lightly over the picture of Liz before turning to the crowd. He opened his mouth to speak but after a moment shut it, turning back to look at the picture again.

"You know," He started, looking at the group of people once more, "I always told Lizzy she was special, as all parents say to their children" He laughed, "but looking at you all now, I know I was right. She touched so many lives. All her life she was always looking out for other people, making sure they were okay. Putting them first." He said, "Liz was a great judge of character and I am so grateful that she was surrounded by such great friends." Jeff nodded to where Alex and Maria were standing and then, to Max's surprise, to him and Isabel. "To know that she was so loved," His voice caught, "it means more to me then anything in the world. To know my little girl was loved." Jeff cleared his throat and looked back at the picture. "Liz was taken before her time." He said in a whisper and Max tried to sallow passed the lump in his throat. "She didn't deserve what happened to her, no one deserves that, but my Lizzy..." He gazed over the crowd, his eyes pained. "I'd like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for your continued support, myself and Nancy...Thank you." He said abruptly and with one last look at the photo he disappeared back into the crowd.

A few more people spoke before the throng of people began to disperse and Max slowly made his way back to the jeep, Isabel leading the way.

"You might want to walk a bit faster." Michael said as he rejoined them. "Tess is headed this way."

Max walked faster until he was almost jogging.

--

"She's not that bad." Isabel said as the made their way to the quarry. "She's just...socially challenged."

Max and Michael stared at her unbelievingly.

"Isabel," Max started, "Michael is socially challenged. Tess...Tess is something else."

"Yes, Max. She's an alien." Isabel bit back. "She's been on the move her entire life and has only had Nasedo for company, what would you be like after that?"

"Iz," The dark-haired boy said watching her out of the corner of his eye. "I know what Tess has been through, I know that she's spent her entire life looking for us but that doesn't excuse her behaviour. She lead us on a wild goose chase when she took Kyle," Max gave Isabel a hard look when she tried to interrupt before focusing his eyes back on the road ahead. "Yes, he thought they were on a date but we didn't know that and she knew what we would think. She played with our minds and tried to play us against each other, or did you forget all that?"

Isabel didn't answer.

"I know you want to like her, you want to trust her but we can't. We can't afford that." Max said, his voice soft.

"Plus," Michael broke in. "It doesn't help that she's like a dog in heat around you Maxwell." He said, trying to break the tension.

Isabel laughed and Max followed suit soon after.

"Thanks, Michael." Max said sardonically, a smile twitching his lips.

"Anytime."

Not soon after they pulled into the quarry, parking neatly beside the jetta.

"Nice of you to join us." Maria said, walking to stand beside Michael as he exited the jeep. "Take the long way?" She added jokingly.

"Something like that."

"Hey." Alex said as he came to join them, leaning against the jeep nearest to Isabel.

The group stood in silence for a long moment after their initial greetings and it was Alex who finally spoke.

"I don’t suppose I was seeing things when I saw Tess at the reservation was I?"

"That would be a no." Michael replied, rolling his eyes as Maria glared at the name.

"She came with the Valenti's." Max supplied, "Though I doubt she was invited."

They fell silent yet again.

"Actually," Isabel said, breaking the silence. "I wanted to talk to you guys about Tess." She shot Max a look before continuing. "I know what she's done, trust me I do but don't you think we've been a little harsh when it comes to her?"

"When it comes to her? No." Maria said instantly and when no one else said a thing, Isabel went on.

"She's alone here, Nasedo, not that I think he counts, is off being Pierce and we haven't made any attempt to get to know her-"

"You do remember why that might be don't you?"

"Yes," Isabel replied, looking at Maria. "I do." As she said that she glance at Max as well. "I really do. But she thought that was the best way to do it, it's not like we would have been very receptive if she had of just come right out with it all. And I'm not trying to defend what she did; I'm just trying to understand it. Without her and Nasedo the FBI would still be on our backs and god only knows what they could have done to us. I think we should give her a chance and get to know her a little more, that's all." She finished, glancing around the group.

"You want us to give her a chance?" Alex clarified, his expression questioning. "Even after the whole..." He gestured at his stomach awkwardly. "thing."

"I'm not asking you guys to invite her over to your houses, just...every now and then instead of running away from her you could stop and talk to her. Make her feel like she's a part of the group, even just a little."

Max nodded slightly, "I can't promise anything, Iz. She kinda..."

"Gives you the creeps, go on Maxwell, you can say it."

"Thank you, Michael. But yeah, she gives me the creeps." The dark-haired boy looked off to the side, embarrassed.

"Well, what the hell, I'll give it a try." Alex said, his voice falsely upbeat.

"I hardly talk to you guys so she's not missing out on anything." Michael shrugged and looked down at Maria who glared defiantly at the ground.

"Thanks guys, I know I'm asking a lot but..."

"Yeah, well. We'll do our best."

A moment later they were back to normal as Alex swiftly changed the subject and they chattered among themselves for a while before they actually came to the topic that brought them here in the first place.

"I can't believe it's been a year." Maria said quietly, leaning back against Michael. "It doesn't feel like it."

"I know." Alex said just as quietly.

"I can't believe how many people turned out today...I didn't even recognise half of them which means Liz probably didn't even know them." Maria said with a dry laugh. "Did you guys see the new Congress woman there? I mean, what's with that?"

"Whitaker, I think it is." Isabel put in.

"Just trying to do the whole 'good person' thing I suppose." Alex said kicking at a stray stone.

"Did Nasedo ever find anything?" Michael asked Max suddenly.

"Nothing." Max replied. When Nasedo had replaced Pierce in the Special Unit he had immediately asked him to look into Liz's case, to use the FBI's resources but his search came up with exactly the same results as the Sheriff's. The person responsible covered their tracks well and there was absolutely no trace of River Dog.

"Did you hear about the scholarship their instating next year?" Alex asked the group softly.

"Scholarship?" Maria asked before her eyes widened. "You mean..."

"Yeah." Alex agreed with Maria, a grin breaking out on his face. "'The Liz Parker Scholarship'," He laughed. "I think it's only available for students majoring in science or something, I didn't really get the details but yeah, a scholarship in her name." He finished, nodding.

"It's kind of...weird." Maria laughed then stopped suddenly, "Wait. They're not actually calling it the 'Liz Parker Scholarship' are they?"

The group chuckled at the blonde's horrified expression before Alex finally spoke; "I don't think so, like I said I didn't get all the details!"

"God I hope not, that'd just be...anomalous." Maria said, shuddering slightly. "I mean, isn't something in the school named after Liz?"

"The science wing has a plaque or something, yeah." Isabel answered, smiling. "It's just above the entry way and there's another in the lab."

"Liz was a good student and all but...damn." Alex laughed and the others joined in.

"It offends me, you know?" Maria said, taking a step away from Michael. "How far they're going with all this...half the school took weeks off after the funeral because of their 'grief' it just..." Michael tugged her back into his arms. "it offends me."

The group nodded in agreement.

--

They had stayed out there more than half the day only returning in time for Michael and Maria's shift at the Crashdown and now Max sat alone in his room. Dinner had been quiet, his parents trying to give them as much space as possible, his Mother especially. She had never quite gotten over seeing him break down after hearing about Liz's body being found. He didn't remember much of that night but Isabel told him what he had done. That he had lost control of his powers in his grief enough that she had been hurt. It was only bruising but Max had never lost control before. When his Mother entered the room it looked like a small cyclone had ripped through it, his belongings were scattered haphazardly all across his room and no poster or picture had been left on the walls. That, coupled with the fact that her two children had been clinging to each other in the middle of the room crying had made her weary to mention anything at all when it came to Liz. His Mother had hated not being able to do anything for her children, not being able to take away their pain so she had not asked them how they were feeling, didn't ask them to talk about Liz. All she did was give them space and Max was grateful to her for that. She hadn't pushed him to do anything; instead she had simply supported him and Isabel.

"Max, honey?" His Mother called and he was brought back to the present. Standing up he made to open the door but his Mother bet him to it.

"Phone's for you." The older woman said, pointing to the telephone next to his bed. He hadn't even heard it ring.

"I can tell them to ring back if you'd like?"

"No, it's ok. Thanks Mom." He smiled warmly as she left before making his way to the phone.

"Hello?"

"Max! Hi, it's Tess!" Maybe I should have taken Mom up on her offer. He thought as Tess's voice reached his ear.

"Hey, Tess." But he had promised Isabel this afternoon and he had to at least try.

"Nasedo was in touch and it looks like the last of the documents have been destroyed." She said over the phone and Max felt a weight lift of his back.

"Thank god." He whispered. The FBI had had more information about them then they had ever imagined and tracking it all down had been proving difficult. "Is he sure?" He couldn't stop himself from asking the question.

"Positive." Tess confirmed.

Max closed his eyes in relief and sighed. "Send him my thanks?"

"Of course."

"Thanks." There was silence on the other end for a long moment before Tess spoke once more.

"Do you want me to let the others know?"

Max shook his head and said, "No, no. I'll talk to them."

"Oh, okay...well..."

"Yeah..." Max said awkwardly, he didn't know what else to say.

"I guess I'll see you at school?"

Max opened his mouth to agree then shut it again remembering his words to Isabel. "Listen, we're meeting at Michaels in the morning, do you want to," He shrugged even though he knew she couldn't see him. "meet us?" He finished lamely.

"Oh, yeah. Okay." She replied sounding surprised.

"Okay." Max said, "I'll see you then."

"Okay...bye Max."

"Bye." Hanging up the phone Max smiled lightly. There, he had made an effort. Isabel would be proud, he thought, smiling.
Stretching his arms over his head Max let out a yawn. It had been a long day and he hadn't gotten much sleep the night before, bed was looking pretty good at this point and now he had to be up extra early - he'd need to be at Michaels to warn everybody that he had invited Tess over. Laughing quietly to himself Max set about getting ready for bed.

--

The Mescalero reservation and its surrounding landscape were silent and still, the only sounds were that of waking insects and the distant hum of the nearby highway. The only buildings in the immediate vicinity were dark, showing no signs of life within and the only light in the area was coming from the numerous candles that encircled a propped up photograph. It painted a lonely picture but perhaps luckily, there was no one around to see it.
If anyone had been in the area they would have been sure to see the blinding white light that appeared suddenly, washing all other colours away and becoming brighter and brighter until it became almost tangible. They would have, if there had been anybody there, saw the figure of a girl as the light dimmed, long hair falling over her face as she fell to the ground her breath coming in short gasps as if she had just run a mile but, alas, there was no one there to witnesses the peculiar sight. No one to see as the girl slowly got to her feet looking around herself in obvious confusion, no one to see her as she cautiously approached the picture only to step back almost as soon as she could see it, a gasp leaving her open lips and no one was there to see her as she hurriedly made her way across the landscape before breaking into a full sprint towards the highway.
No, no one saw a thing.

--
TBC
--
Joque
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Chapter Two

Post by Joque »

A/N: Thank you for the feedback! ^_^ And thank-you to Shivvlan for the new banner!

Kingdom of fools

Chapter Two

Max turned over onto his back restlessly and glared at the roof. He had been trying to sleep for the past few hours now but his mind refused to turn off and he felt agitated for no apparent reason.
Punching his pillow harder then necessary, Max tried once again to find a comfortable position, something else that had been alluding him tonight, before settling on his side. It always seemed to work this way, when he knew he needed sleep in would take him hours to actually get any.
He punched his pillow again.
He had thought about getting up for a while, maybe watch some TV, but he didn't need something to make him tired because he already was. He just couldn't sleep. Today had been hard, stressing in all the worst ways and he could think of no better cure then sleep, if only he could get some.
At that thought, Max felt a pang of guilt. It was the anniversary of Liz's disappearance and all he could think about was sleeping and getting passed it. Hell, he'd even made nice with the girl he had apparently been married too, what a way to remember her. But when it really got down to it, he knew he could never feel that way for Tess--she could never be Liz. And Liz, she was the love of his life, there would never be another, Liz was it for him. No one else, and especially not Tess, could ever even hold a candle to what he felt for Liz. But though Max would never admit it even to himself there was a small part of him that thought, what the hell, if he couldn't have what he wanted, what he needed, why not just settle for Tess? She was more than willing and they would be doing what his alien parents had wanted--fulfilling his destiny. But luckily for Max, that small part of him was easy to shut up. It wasn't what he wanted.

Sighing, Max turned over so he was lying on his other side. It really didn't look like he'd be getting any sleep. Every time he closed his eyes he could see the picture of Liz from the memorial, her smiling face and he wished, with every fibre of his being, that he could see her again and tell her all the things he'd never dared too.

His room was silent yet it took Max a moment to realise there was a soft tapping coming from his window and it took him an even longer moment to do something about it.
Yawning as he sat up, Max glance at the clock before making his way over to the window. It had been a long time since anyone had used it and he couldn’t think of why someone would be now. Reaching out an arm as he approached, the dark-haired boy pulled the curtain back to glare sleepily at whoever was disturbing him but stopped short of saying anything when the person came in to view.

"Liz?" On the other side of the glass stood Liz, her eyes warm as she stared back and Max knew that he must be dreaming. He was probably asleep in bed right now but he didn't care, she was here now.
Opening the window Max didn't give the dark-haired girl a chance to speak, he immediately brought her close against his chest though the window still separated them, smelling her hair and drinking in everything about her. He noticed she was wearing the same clothes she had been the last time he saw her, the necklace still around her neck, and he stood back slightly. Liz opened her mouth to speak and Max saw confusion in her eyes but once again he didn't let her speak, instead he cupped her face with his hand and leant towards her, bringing their lips together in a soft kiss.

"I love you." He whispered when he pulled back, "I love you." He repeated, kissing her eyes, nose and once again her lips. Max had wanted to say those words to her for so long and then he had lost his chance, saying them to a dream version of Liz was the best he could do.

"Max?" The uncertainty in her voice caused Max to pull back, his gaze locking with hers. "Max, what's going on?" Her eyes clearly showed her confusion and the dark-haired boy trailed the tips of his fingers over her lips.

"I'm so sorry," He whispered sadly. "I should have never let you go." Guilt crashed into him as he watched her. She looked lost and almost frightened, there was nothing he could ever say to make this better. This Liz, this dream Liz was looking at him in a way that made his heart stop. She wanted him to explain something he had no words for, something he didn't want to explain because then the dream would be over and he wanted to stay here as long as possible - wanted to stay with her.

"Max?" Her voice came out stronger this time and Max took the time to really study her. Yes, she looked confused and frightened, not of him, but of something else. She also looked tired and her eyes were tearing slightly as she looked back at him, she looked nothing like she had in the dreams he'd had before.
She looked real.
Max took a step back from the window at the sudden thought.
That was ridiculous she couldn't be real, Liz was gone - he'd seen the tests that proved it, this...this was just a dream.
He continued to watch her as she became more and more agitated by his stare and after a long moment he wordlessly held his hand out for her to take, Liz hesitated only briefly before taking the offered hand. Once they were inside Max sat down on his bed his eyes still glued to Liz. He wasn't sure what this was but it was no ordinary dream, she was too real and yet that couldn't be true either.
"Liz?" He asked questioningly, reaching out a hand towards her that she took without hesitation this time and she sat beside him.
"What's going on, Max?" She asked in a small voice, "I...I just got back and, there was a picture of me and all these flowers and I don’t...." Liz babbled, her hand leaving his as she gestured wildly around only stopping when Max, almost in slow motion, stretched to hold her hand again.
This wasn't right. This wasn't like anything that had come from his head in the past year; they'd either be kissing each other wildly by this point or she'd be blaming him for everything that had happened...but she looked lost and scared. His previous thought came back at full force.
"You're real?" He said in an awed tone, his voice trembling. "You're real." He repeated, louder this time and Liz stared at him in bewilderment before slowly nodding.
"I'm real." She said and that was all the validation Max needed; he pulled her closer, much as he had done earlier and held her against him, his eyes squeezing shut as he tightened his hold. "I thought I'd lost you," He whispered into her hair, knowing she could hear him. "They said you were gone, they did the test and, they said you were gone." Max released his hold for a moment before cupping her face with his hands and searching her gaze. "Where have you been?" He asked desperately, running his fingers through her hair as his eyes drank in her features.
"I..." Liz stopped short, her eyes closing for a moment. "I don't know." She opened her eyes wide, pleading, "Max, what's going on?" She asked him, her voice shaky. "How...how long have I been gone?"
Max was quiet, his hands moving down to hold hers - he didn't want to let go.
"A year today." He said finally, meeting her eyes as they widened.
"A year?" Liz whispered incredulously, tears slipping from her eyes as her mouth worked silently trying to form words.
The dark-haired boy caught the tears before they could arrive at her chin, wiping them away and nodded in affirmation. He couldn't look away from her, couldn't stop touching her. She was real, she wasn't a dream and she was alive. Liz was alive. He didn't know how he knew but this wasn't a dream, there weren't any alien powers at work; she was here, in the flesh.
"I can't believe you're here." He whispered and Liz gave him a slight smile. "They said you were dead." His voice came out hoarse and he tried to stop the tears he knew were coming. "I'm so sorry, Liz." He gripped her smaller hands in his and bent down to lean his forehead against their joined hands, a sob escaping his throat.
"Max..." Liz called softly, detangling one of her hands from his and running it through his hair soothingly. "Max, it's okay, I'm here."
They stayed like that for a long time, Max hanging on to her hand for dear life while Liz tried to alleviate his pain and sooner than Max had liked she slowly made him look at her.
"Max...I, I have to tell you something." She said seriously and Max slowly pulled out of her embrace, trying to wipe his eyes discreetly before taking her hands in his.
"I...I don't even know how to say this..." Liz began, "I've been gone a year?" She asked him and Max nodded.
"Max I...I only feel like I've been gone maybe an hour, at the most. I mean...how...?" The confusion in her eyes was clear as she stared at him. "How is that possible?"
Max didn't answer he was too focused on the fact that she was here, that she was real but as the high of seeing her began to fade slightly he had a nagging doubt in the back of his mind. Liz had been gone a year, he had seen the tests done on the body and the Sheriff had identified it as Liz yet here she was. He knew he wasn't dreaming but...
"Liz?" He asked, his expression somewhat shamed. "I'm sorry but I, I have to be sure it's you. I can't go through this..."
Liz lifted his hands to gently cup her face in understanding, her eyes meeting his trustingly.
Hands shaking lightly Max gazed into her eyes trying to concentrate on forming a connection and he knew the moment he let his mind blank out that this really was Liz. He saw her as a young girl and then it quickly jumped to the day in the Crashdown when he had saved her life then jumped yet again, going through meaningful moments of their memories before finally coming to the day she disappeared. He saw himself telling her to come back at the first sign of trouble and then it jumped to Liz walking to the jetta out at the reservation and Max got his first glimpse of Riverdog but before the scene could go any further he felt a burning sensation on his hands and the connection was severed as Max went flying across the room.
"Oh my god, Max!"
The dark-haired boy groaned softly in reply to Liz's yell and he tried to speak but no words came out. He lay sprawled in the corner of his room, his ears ringing.
"Max? Are you okay?" Liz's worried voice broke through the ringing and Max attempted to sit up. "I am so sorry, Max! I didn’t know that would happen!"
"S'okay." He said as he got to his knees, his vision blurring slightly as he tried to focus on Liz. "I'm okay." He said, his voice clearer and Liz helped him to his feet.
Her anxious face finally came into view and Max couldn't help but smile. "It's really you." He wasn't sure what had happened but he now knew for sure that this was Liz, that she was alive.
Liz nodded jerkily, her concern for him growing as he stumbled. "Max?"
"I'm okay, just a little shaky..." He said and sat down on the edge of his bed, bringing Liz with him. "I'm more than okay." He elaborated smiling once again.
"I'm sorry, I should have warned you that something like that could happen," Liz explained to him, her eyes regretful. "He said it could happen but I just didn't think and then you were flying across the room and I-"
"Shh." Max soothed, bringing her closer. "It's okay." He held her close, enjoying the feel of her against him when what she had said finally sunk in. "Wait," He said leaning back slightly, "Who said what could happen?" He asked her. He had been listening but at the moment he was to concentrated on the fact that Liz was here that anything she might be saying was going in one ear and out the other. "Sorry." He added sheepishly and Liz smiled before speaking.
"Riverdog," She started, "He said something like that could happen if anyone were to try and access particular memories, I just thought he meant, you know, if the bad kind were to." Liz noticed Max stiffen at her mention of Riverdog and she looked at him questioningly.
"Riverdog? What did he...did he actually..." Max stumbled over his words as he tried to find the right way to put it. "Maybe, maybe you should start from the beginning." He managed finally.
Liz moved further back on the bed and sat crossed legged; she didn't say anything for a long moment and then she began, "I was asking about the necklace and she told me to stay away from him." She said, "I went back to the car, I was going to come back here, but he was there, at the car." Liz's words came out fast until she was almost babbling and Max was having difficulty following her. "He saw it when I was in the store and asked me about it. About who else had seen it. I didn't tell him about any of you, maybe that's why... No." She pushed her hair back with a quick movement. "No, that's not important." She shook her head. "He had to know something, Max. When I asked him, he said he'd show me. It was...it was," Her hand went back to her hair again as she searched for words, "it was freeing, Max. It was like-"
A soft tapping cut her off and then the door opened and Isabel's head came into view. "Max is everything okay? I heard-" The blonde stopped short when her eyes came to rest on Liz, her hand moving to her mouth as she gasped in shock. "M-Max, what have you done?" The door opened wider as she unconsciously stepped further into the room and then slowly closed behind her, the soft click going unnoticed. "What have you...? How did you...? Max?"
Max rose to his feet quickly, "It's okay, Isabel, it's Liz."
"Liz?" Isabel repeated, "Max, Liz is..." She eyed the other girl warily, "gone. I don't know how...you've done this, but...Max, why?"
"No. No, it's Liz." He turned to look at the brunette, "She's really here." He said in a soft voice.
Isabel turned her gaze back to Liz for a moment and then turned back to her brother. "They did the tests Max, there...they found her body."
"I know, I know. But, Iz, it's her."
"Max..."
"It's me, Isabel." Liz cut in and the blonde turned to face her fully. "I'm real. I don't know what's been going on but...it is me."
"It can't..." She glanced between the two of them her eyes darting quickly from Max to Liz and back again. "It really can't. There was a body. They did the tests. Th-the funeral--It's been a year. So it can't be. It really can't be. Can it?"
"I can't explain it either," Max said. "But, Iz, I connected with her. It's Liz."
"It's Liz?"
"Yes."
"Really Liz?"
"Really Liz." Max said firmly.
"Then where has she been for the past year?!" Isabel said, her mood flashing from incredulous to accusatory faster than Liz, or even Max, would have thought possible. "We've been worried sick! I mean, we thought you were dead!"
Liz opened her mouth to reply but before she could get a word out Isabel was right there hugging her. The brunette let out a small gasp and she meet Max's eyes over the blondes shoulder; a slightly worried smile on her face.
"Oh, god. You are here." Isabel said as she pulled back, "Where have you been?" She asked.
"She was explaining that when you came in." Max replied, a soft smile on his face, "So could you..." He gestured vaguely in their direction and Isabel noticed she was still holding onto Liz.
"Oh, right. Sorry." She gave Liz another quick hug before settling back against the headboard and Max pulled his desk chair to sit in front of the two girls.
"Could you, ah, start again?" Max asked Liz, mostly for his sister's befit but also for his own--he was still trying to make sense of what Liz had said before their interruption.
Nodding, the dark-haired girl tried to collect her thoughts and started again, "I was asking about the necklace," She began slowly. "They lady told me some story about it meaning-"
"'Tree of knowledge.'" Isabel put in, her voice a little shaky.
"Yeah." Liz agreed in surprise, "How did you...?"
"I dream walked the woman from the reservation." Isabel answered and Liz nodded somewhat jerkily.
"Oh." They sat there for a while before Liz seemed to shake herself from her thoughts. "Okay...well then you've seen Riverdog?" She asked.
Isabel glanced at Max, "No." She looked back to Liz. "Not exactly. Her dream, when it got to the part where he showed up I couldn’t see anything. I only heard her warning."
"But we did see a sketch of him," Max cut in, "The Sheriff re-questioned her and the details slowly came together. So we have a general idea."
"Right." Liz's eyebrows drew down in confusion, "The Sheriff...?" She shook her head. "Doesn't matter. Okay." She took a breath. "I was heading back to the car when he stopped me, he asked me to give him the necklace. He knew something so I asked him to tell me and he said no--but that he could show me." The brunette looked between the two siblings, "He thought I was one of you."
"One of us?" Isabel said, "He thought you were an..."
Liz nodded in agreement to her unfinished sentence. "He...took me somewhere. There was a white light and then I was, I was gone." She said. "I don’t even know where I was but it made me feel..." She trailed off and her eyes screwed shut. "Free." She whispered at last and Max moved closer till he was sitting directly in front of her. "It made me feel free." She shrugged, laughing lightly. "It sounds really silly but it was amazing. I knew I should be scared but I couldn't, I actually couldn't feel scared."
Isabel looked worriedly at Max, "You couldn't feel scared?" She repeated, looking back to Liz.
"It's hard to explain," She started. "It... It's kind of like, being under water. That feeling of being able to do back flips and not being scared that you'll fall but it was, more somehow." The trio took a moment for this to sink in before Liz went on. "At first there was nobody around, all I could see was land, stretching out in every direction; there was nothing marring it and then he was just there. Riverdog," She clarified and they nodded for her to go on. "He told me I wasn't 'one of them' and he got agitated. He said he sensed it in me, at the reservation and that's why he brought me there." Liz stopped and tilted her head slightly as she looked at Max. "You changed me," She said softly, her voice awed and she took his hand but didn't let him interrupt. "I was shocked but...I think I already knew, you know?"
"Changed?" Max and Isabel said as one, their expressions scared.
"Liz, I'm sorr-"
"Max, you saved my life." She cut him off, "I'll never be sorry for that."
The dark-haired boy swallowed loudly, "What..." He cleared his throat and tried again. "What kind of...changes?" He asked apprehensively and Isabel lent forward.
"Oh, well I won't need protecting anytime soon that's for sure." She joked and when neither of them laughed Liz said; "I'm fine. Really. But..." She looked at her hands for a moment and Max felt his gut clench.
"What?" He whispered.
"Riverdog said that by bringing me too, well, wherever it was he brought me, that he sped up the process of the change and maybe made it more than it would have been..." Liz looked up at him, "But it's not, it's not dangerous Max." She said trying to soothe the affect her words were having on the dark-haired boy. "He said I would be fine...that any powers I get would just, grow with me."
"They're not dangerous?" The blonde asked, needing confirmation.
"No." Liz confirmed. "Not at all." She directed the last part at Max but he looked only slightly better about the idea of Liz changing but put it to the back of his mind for now. "How does he know all this?"
Liz frowned at the question, obviously confused that he was letting the subject go so easily but answered none the less. "He is...was your Guardian." She paused to gauge their reactions before continuing. "Like I said, he thought I was one of you until it was to late, he'd already taken me and, I don't exactly understand it but he said he couldn't come back from wherever it was. That he was only capable of going there - not coming back."
Max took all this in, trying to fit it in with what Nasedo had told them and failing. He gave his sister a quick look and he could tell she was having the same problem. "So..."
Liz shook her head, "Sorry! I haven't even explained everything, okay." She took a deep breath and collected herself. "Okay," She repeated, "He was your guardian, he said he was sent down on the ship with both of you and Michael" Liz stopped as Max furrowed his brow and laughed. "I know this must sound really out there..."
"Oh, god!" Isabel said suddenly, standing quickly from the bed. "Michael!" She looked at Max, "I forgot all about him--he should be here, Max."
The dark-haired boy scrubbed a hand over his face, "Yeah, you're right." He gave Liz an apologetic smile. "Do you mind...?"
"Repeating everything?" The brunette laughed, "It's fine."
Max stood up and riffled trough one of his draws, pulling out a jersey. "It'll probably be better if we go to him."
A few minutes later they were in the jeep, enroot to Michaels.
"He lives by himself?" Liz asked in surprise. "Wow..."
"He got granted emancipation last year." Isabel said with a smile and turned to look at Liz who was staring out the window, a small frown on her face.
"Liz?"
"Has it really been a year?" She asked in a quiet voice.
Isabel's smile dropped and she glanced at Max who was watching them via the rear-view mirror. "Yeah." She said. "It has."
"Oh, god." Liz said in a whisper. It hadn't seemed real till now.
"God, how are my parents?!" She asked suddenly, turning to face Isabel quickly. "You guys...you thought I was dead. My, my parents...?"
The blonde nodded uneasily. "When you didn't come back," She started shakily. "There was a full search, the Sheriff's department and the community were searching the reservation... They found the jetta, but there was no sign of you." Isabel swallowed thickly, "The investigation lasted two months and then..." Liz's eyes welled up as the other girl spoke. "They found a...they found..."
"Me?" Liz finished for her in a whisper and Isabel nodded.
"But I'm not...I mean, I'm here." Liz brushed a falling tear from her cheek, "I don't understand."
"They found yo...the body in Albuquerque." Max said in a strained voice, his hands tightening around the steering wheel.
"Albuquerque." Liz whispered to herself in disbelief. She hadn't been then, by her time, since the summer. How was it possible that she...that she died there yet she was...
"How did I...what was the cause of death?"
There was silence in the car for a long moment before Max finally answered. "Strangulation." He said softly, his eyes darting back and forth from Liz to the road ahead.
Liz released a breath she didn't know she'd been holding in a soft sob and Isabel put a comforting hand on her shoulder. "I don't understand. Am I, am I dead?" She asked, "You said they did tests."
"I...I don't know."
"But everybody, they all think I'm dead? There was a funeral?" Her eyes showed her disbelief as she spoke.
"Yes." Max said, his voice still soft. "But you're here, you...you're alive." His voice was getting stronger as he went on. "I know it's you, you can't fake the flashes, I know it's you. We'll figure this out Liz, I promise."
There was a long silence.
"How...how are they?" Liz asked, "my parents?"
Isabel tried to smile, "They're good." She said. "They miss you, obviously, but they've been...they've been okay."
"Maria? Alex?" Liz prodded in a whisper then her eyes widened. "Oh, god. Does Alex..?"
"He knows." Isabel assured her, "Me and Maria told him after you went missing." She smiled. "And he handled it in true Alex style." She said with a roll of her eyes though she was smiling.
Liz returned the smile but it didn't quiet meet her eyes. Isabel had changed and, Liz noticed, now had some sort of affection towards Alex. The Isabel she remembered...well, she certainly wouldn't be calling this Isabel 'Queen Amidala'. It seemed the ice queen's heart had melted somewhat - not that Liz ever truly believed the ice was then to begin with.
Liz watched the passing buildings, noting small changes every now and then.
A year. Her friends and family thought she'd been killed. Murdered. There wasn't a lie big enough that could explain this away--they'd have to find all the facts before she could go home and then there was the matter of the massive amount of information she had to give the three aliens.
"We're here." Max's voice broke through her thoughts and she looked at their surroundings. "Michaels apartment's just up there." The dark-haired boy continued, pointing up at the complex.
Liz undid her seat belt and made to follow Isabel out onto the street but Max stopped her and turned to Isabel. "Could you get Michael up to speed?" He asked, "We'll be up soon." He promised and the blonde nodded before making her way into the building.
"Max?"
"I thought you might want a moment." He said as they moved back into the jeep. "This is...it's a lot to process."
Once they were seated comfortably in the back, Max took Liz's hand in his. "Is there anything else you want to, to ask?"
Liz looked off to the side, "Yeah, umm...a lot actually." She laughed lightly. "I just don't know where to start." She paused. "I have so much I want to know but at the same time I have so much I need to tell you."
Max smiled, "Yeah."
"Is there...is there anything I need to know?"
"Not that I can think of," Max replied. "Oh. You might want to know that, ah..." Max chuckled, "Michael and Maria they're, they're together."
Liz's eyes widened almost comically, "Together?" She looked at Max closely. "Really?"
"Really." Max said with a smile and Liz laughed.
"That's...wow, that's..." She laughed again, "unbelievable." Liz opened her mouth to ask for confirmation yet again when they heard raised voices.
"Michael!" They heard Isabel shout and before they knew it the boy in question came stomping out of the building.
"Maxwell what the hell is going on, your sister her-" He stopped dead in his tracks as he neared the car, his eyes boring into Liz who shifted uncomfortably.
"Hi." She said awkwardly, waving a little.
Hand automatically going up in front of him in a warding gesture, Michael motioned for Isabel to do the same and when she didn't he turned his attention to Max. "What the hell is going on?!" He repeated and with out giving Max a chance to answer he looked to Liz. "You're dead." He stated and Liz nodded.
"Apparently."
"Michael, it's Liz. She's...she's alive." Max cut in stepping out of the jeep, Liz not far behind him.
"That's impossible, Maxwell." The other boy said, shifting back slightly as they approached. "Liz is dead. We saw the files ourselves!"
"I know." He looked back towards Liz, "but I also know that this is Liz. Michael, I connected with her."
Michael glanced at Isabel who rolled her eyes, "We've been through this Michael," She said, "It's Liz."
"How do you know she's not a shapeshifter, Nasedo's nev-"
"A shapeshifter?" Liz said, almost to herself and Max turned his head to look at her. "You...you know...you've seen...oh, god." She whispered.
"Liz?" Max asked worriedly and she looked up to meet his eyes.
"We really need to talk, Max."

------
TBC
------
Joque
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Kingdom of fools: Chapter Three

Post by Joque »

A/N: Hey guys, thanks for the support! ^^ Hope you all have a Happy New Year!

Kingdom of fools

Chapter three:

The air was tense as they each found a place to sit in the apartment, Michael sitting down heavily in an armchair while Liz, Max and Isabel sat on the couch.
"So..." Michael said, watching Liz intently. "Isabel said you were telling them about our..." he looked at Isabel, "Guardian?"
Liz nodded, "Yes." She said, trying not to look at Michael any longer than was necessary. "Umm...Riverdog."
"And?" Michael said, earning himself a glare from the other two aliens for the abruptness of the question. "Sorry." He mumbled and Max and Isabel turned their attention back to Liz.
"Right." She said somewhat nervously, "Uh...well, as I said, Riverdog was your Guardian. He was sent down on the ship with you three." Liz swallowed, "He said you come from a planet called... Antar?" Liz pulled a face as she said the name, obviously trying to remember it correctly. "And that you guys are the Royal Three," When Max's eyes widened Liz smiled softly. "I know, it sounds like a bad science fiction movie but this is honestly what he told me."
Max frowned at Liz, "The royal three?" He asked looking for conformation and Liz looked between the three of them.
"Yeah." She replied, her smile gone. "Max?" She raised her eyebrow in question as they all shared a look but Max just shook his head.
"I'll...explain later, just, keep going." Max said, smiling in reassurance.
"Okay..." Liz agreed hesitantly. "You are the royal three but more importantly you're protectors of the..." She pulled a face again and Max laughed, "of the..." Her eyes screwed shut for a moment before opening again, "Granolith!" She said proudly. "You're protectors of the Granolith."
Max made a show of clapping for her and she nudged him lightly.
"Sorry." He said, though he didn't look it in the least.
Michael rolled his eyes at the pair before leaning forwards, "What is the Granolith?" He asked with interest.
Liz meet his eyes for a brief moment, "It's an artefact..." She said slowly, her voice unsure. "Riverdog didn't really put a name to what it is but I think that's basically it. It holds a record of everything that has ever happened on Antar." Liz frowned, "Riverdog said that it was created by the Antarian predecessors and that its full power has never been realised." She ran a hand through her hair, "All they know for sure is that it's powerful, obviously, and that it can magnify other powers."
"Other powers?" Isabel asked, looking perplexed.
"Like..." Liz looked around the room as she tried to think of an example. "Like Max's healing," She said and looked at Max. "Alone you could heal only a few people but with the help of the Granolith, you could heal thousands."
Max's eyes widened at the thought, "Thousands?" His tone was doubtful.
"Thousands." Liz said confidently and then continued, "The granolith has been entrusted to your family," She paused, shaking her head. "Your other family, for generations."
"Wait, wait," Michael stopped her, "Lets get back to the magnifying power thing. How does it work?" He asked.
"I don't know." The brunette said honestly, "Riverdog said it would only work for true Antarians--he never said how, just that it would."
Michael nodded though he looked far from satisfied with her answer.
Meanwhile, Max's mind was on overload as he listened to the story. Nasedo and Tess had never mentioned any of this and Liz hadn't mentioned anything about them. He knew whom he wanted to believe but he had seen Tess's pod, right along with theirs in the chamber and yet what Liz was telling him was that they had nothing to do with it.
"Liz?" Max started, meeting her eyes, "Did he...did Riverdog mention anyone else being on the ship?"
Liz looked at him questioningly and she was acutely aware of the other two watching her. "Anyone else?" She repeated before answering, "No, he said it was just you three and him...why?"
Max shook his head slightly. According to Liz, Tess and Nasedo weren't who they said they were and he was inclined to believe her. There had always been something off with the pair but this just confirmed it.
"There's something we need to tell you." He said, shifting a little.
"Okay..."
"About a month after your..." Max paused, his expression slightly pained, "after we thought we'd lost you," He corrected himself, "a new girl arrived in town." At Liz's raised eyebrow and Michaels snort Max hurried on. "We knew there was something off about her, the three of us were...drawn to her in a way. At first we thought she was FBI so we sent Isabel," Max nodded at the blonde, "to find out more about her and her Father but for all intents and purposes they were completely normal--everything checked out. After a few days of her being here I--I started to have daydreams about her." He glanced guilty at Liz before continuing. "We all did. It was like she was awakening something inside of us, something...alien. She took an interest in Kyle and when we saw her heading out of town with him we followed. By the time we caught up with her Kyle was unconscious on the ground and she was just standing there, like she'd done nothing wrong. We confronted her about everything and she said...that she was one of us." As Max had told his story Liz's expression had become more and more puzzled, her eyebrows drawing down in confusion.
"One of you?" She asked doubtingly.
"She took us to a chamber hidden in a mountain out near the quarry." Isabel continued for Max. "It was where we were...born."
"The Pod chamber." Liz said, her eyes wide.
Max nodded, "There were four pods in there Liz, I...I saw it. We all did, so I don't understand...the royal three? Tess-" he looked up. "That's her name." The brunette nodded and he went on. "She said we were the royal four. Most of what you've told us is exactly what we've been told by Nasedo just...without them in it." He finished and the four of them sat in silence.
"Riverdog never mentioned a forth alien Max," Liz said finally. "The same with...Nasedo?"
Max nodded. "And they never mentioned the Granolith."
"Really?" Liz asked in surprise, looking at all of them as they each nodded. "That's odd..." She trailed off, shaking her head. "They've really never mentioned it?" She pressed.
"No, not at all." Isabel said and Michael made a small noise of agreement.
"It's you're story verses theirs," Michael said, "and, no offence, but they had fancy powers and that to back them up."
"Michael." Max warned tiredly.
"What? You know I'm right!" He barked out, "Nasedo had the powers, the book and Tess lead us to the pod chamber! What does she hav-"
"Wait," Liz began, ignoring Michael's rant completely. "Who exactly is Nasedo?" She asked.
"Our Protector...or so he says." Isabel said, her confusion clear. "I don't know anymore." She shrugged.
"That can’t be right," Liz said immediately. "Riverdog is--was your Guardian. The Protector's..." Liz ran a hand through her hair in frustration before continuing. "Okay, on Antar there are three different races." She began, looking them all in the eye. "The Antarians, the Skins and the Shifters." She counted them with her fingers as she spoke. "The Antarians are the rulers, the Skins are a second-class race and the Shifters are Protectors." Michael made to interrupt her but Liz raced on. "They were made to protect the Antarians. Literally. They were genetically engineered." She took a breath, "Do you know why you were sent to earth?" She questioned, "Do you know about the war?"
The three aliens looked uncomfortable and Max shook his head. "All Nasedo would say was that we were over powered by our enemy and then...recreated so we could live again and fulfil our...destiny." Max had learnt to truly hate that word over the past few months.
Liz waited until Max was finished before continuing. "The Skins started a rebellion against the Antarians, claiming that the Granolith's record of the planet's history were fabricated, that the royals had lied to the people." The brunette tucked her hair behind her ear as she spoke. "The records say the Antarians are the rightful rulers--the planets original inhabitants." Liz stopped when Michael raised his hand slightly and she gave him a questioning look.
"We're the...Antarians, right?" He asked, looking somewhat self-conscious and Liz smiled.
"Yeah, sorry."
"Okay, just wanted to clarify that." He sat back in his chair and made a motion for her to continue.
Liz shook her head, "The Skins came mostly from another planet in the solar system that died; they were basically refugees and-"
"Sorry," Michael interrupted her again, "But who started the rebellion?" He asked, ignoring Isabel's glare.
"A skin named Kivar started the rebellion," Liz said patiently, "he lead the uprising and formed an alliance with the Shifters and before the Antarians knew what was happening they were in an all out war."
Max rubbed tried eyes, "Nasedo never mentioned the skins and..." He paused, "Wait, I thought you said the shifter's were made by the Antarians. How could they turn against them?" He asked and glanced at Michael; one look at the other boys face and he knew they were thinking the same thing. Was Nasedo a part of that alliance?
"Yes," Liz stated, "they made them but they didn't control them, Max. They made the shifters to be another race, not slaves. Yes, they were Protectors but they had families, friends... they had choice."
"Our mistake." Michael said unsympathetically.
"So, the war," Isabel said, sitting up straighter. "It's been going on for...?"
"Over fifty years." Liz finished.
"Fifty years?" Isabel echoed, her brow furrowing. "But we crashed here-"
"You were killed early on." The dark-haired girl said, answering her unasked question.
"Oh."
"You were ambushed," Liz said, her voice softening, "the three of you. The Shifter's are, well," she paused, "shifters. They can take on almost any form. I don't know all the details, just that by the time your Protectors got there, there were hundreds of you." The three aliens were silent as she went on. "They rebel shifters had surrounded you, each taking on the form of one of you in order to confuse the royal Protectors; they forced your own people to kill you." Silence greeted her last statement and Liz looked at the sombre faces around her. "I'm sorry." She said.
It was Michael who finally broke the silence.
"So then what?" He asked with his usual bluntness, "We were recreated and sent here, right?"
"Yes." Liz replied.
"Like Nasedo told us, then."
Liz was half way through nodding when she stopped suddenly, her eyes flying to Michael. "You said I might have been a shapeshifter," She remembered, "Does that mean you've, that you guys have had contact with one?"
"Yeah," It was Max that replied. "Umm...Nasedo."
Liz's eyes closed for a moment and let out a breath. "Nasedo's a shifter. Okay." Her eyes opened, "And he hasn't told you any of this, nothing about the Granolith?"
The other three nodded their agreement.
"You said that our Protectors were pretty much forced to kill us, so doesn't that mean some of them could still be loyal?" Max asked.
The brunette shook her head sadly, "Back then yes, there were some. But now, Max you have to understand that any shifter alive today is alive because they're loyal to Kivar."
"So what you're saying is that Nasedo and Tess are evil and we should believe everything you're saying."
"Yes, Michael. That's exactly what I'm saying." Liz replied shortly, focusing her full attention on Max. "If he's a shapeshifter and he hasn't told you any of this then, Max, he's not here to help you." She looked at Isabel and then Michael. "Any of you. I don't know anything about a forth alien but if she's with him, then..." She left the rest unsaid.
"I'm sorry," Michael began, "but am I the only one here who still needs proof she's really Liz?" He asked, waving his hand in the air. "I mean, flashes? What does that prove other than the fact that," He glanced at Liz, "that she has a few of Liz's memories?"
"Michael why can't you just let this go," Max snapped out, "I know that's Liz, okay? I know it!"
"Maxwell, think about what you're saying!" Michael demanded, standing to his feet, "I know you miss her, and I'm not saying this can't be her--all I'm asking for is proof!"
"What do you want me to do!" Max shouted, standing up from the couch. "What kind of proof could I possibly give you?!"
"I don't know!" Michael yelled back.
"Alright!" Isabel bit out, rising to her feet as well. "That is enough!"
"Ask me something." Liz said suddenly. "Anything." She looked at Michael from her position on the couch. "You know me, remember?" Liz said and she knew he got her meaning when he slowly sat back down.
"...Yeah," He said gradually, "I remember."
There was an awkward silence as Max and Isabel tried to figure out what the other two were remembering when Michael spoke again, "Sorry," He said earnestly, "I just...I had to be sure."
Liz brought her hand up and gently tugged Max back onto the couch. "It's okay."
Silence.
"So, Nasedo and Tess are the bad guys?" Michael said, "Not really that surprising."
Max laughed, "I guess not, I mean, we've always known there was something...off about them but this is..."
"Huge." Isabel put in, "And yesterday I was asking you guys to play nice with Tess, god." She shook her head in disgust. "This changes everything."
"What are we going to do, oh fearless leader?" Michael asked and Liz sat up a little. "What?" He asked her.
"Max, you said that you had to fulfil your destiny," The brunette said, "What did you mean by that?"
Max shifted uncomfortably, "It's something Nasedo told us." He began. "He said that together, with Tess, we formed a four-square. A unit. He said our destiny was to pair up, me and Tess and Isabel and Michael." Max stopped when Liz made a comical noise in the back of her throat.
"Sorry," she said, shaking her head. "Go on."
The dark-haired boy smiled at her then went on, "He said that on Antar, in our past-life, Tess was my Queen and Isabel and Michael were betrothed to each other," Liz made another small noise, "he said that we had to 'learn each other' again before we would truly be ready to go home." Max eyed Liz then switched his questioning gaze to the other occupants of the room. They both shrugged in reply, bemused looks on their faces.
"What?" Max asked as she continued to giggle softly.
"It's just..." She laughed a little louder, "Isabel and Michael weren't..."
"That bitch." Michael said harshly, catching on quickly to the dark-haired girls meaning. "We weren't ever meant to pair up, were we?" He asked though he already knew the answer.
Liz shook her head, becoming serious once more. "No..." She looked at Max in confusion over Michael's harsh reaction.
"It's...complicated." Max began but before he could explain Michael was yelling.
"That lying little bitch! She put us through all of that, for...for what?! For a fucking destiny that isn't even real?!" The tall boy stood up suddenly, kicking out at the table as he begun to pace the floor.
Liz glanced between the three aliens, noting, for the first time, that Isabel looked about as pissed as Michael--only she wasn't yelling. The brunette cleared her throat, "You and Isabel were...well, here I guess you'd called it cousins; you all were." Michael stopped his pacing to listen to Liz. "Max and Isabel were brought up as brother and sister but, genetically anyway, you two were only cousins."
"We're," Isabel darted at look towards Michael, "cousins?" She asked and Liz nodded.
"Basically, yeah. You all grew up together because you were all heirs to the thrown. Max was first in line, Isabel second and Michael, you were third in line."
"Me and Michael are, related." The blonde stated, her face screwing up, "That's...disgusting." She said, her hand coming up to cover her mouth.
Liz quickly looked towards Michael and was surprised to find him nodding in agreement to Isabel's statement and she looked to Max yet again.
"I'll tell you later." He decided, not wanting to put it into words at the moment. "We need to figure out what we're going to do." He said instead, changing the subject. "Now that we know about them." He clarified.
Isabel folded her arms across her chest. "What can we do?" The anger was still in her voice as she spoke, "If we confront her she could easily deny it and it's not like we can keep a constant watch on her--and Nasedo. God only knows where he is...who he is even."
"Plus," Michael said, taking his seat yet again, "Her powers are more advanced then ours, even with the three of us she could easily use her mindwarp and walk away scott free."
Max was nodding his head as each of them spoke, "And then we would constantly be watching our backs, something we're used to sure, but not when it's them. We can't afford to give them any more advantage then they've already got."
Liz listened as the other three discussed their options, occasionally nodding or shaking her head in reply. She didn't have any options right now. She couldn't even go outside in broad daylight; not until they got to the bottom of why there was a body yet she was most definitely not dead, and they had even bigger problems right now. Riverdog had been insistent about how strong their enemies were and now, to find out that they had been working with them. Liz shuddered. She only hoped they didn't yet know of the Granoliths whereabouts; Max and the others didn't seem to have known about it at all, so the chances were high that Nasedo hadn't figured it out... She was now the only person who knew it's exact location and Riverdog had made her promise not to tell it to anyone. Not unless it was for the purpose of using it against the Alliance and Liz had every intention of keeping that promise.
"Liz?" Max's voice brought her back to the present and she smiled at his concerned look. "I'm fine," She said, "just thinking." She turned to the other two and found them both staring at her as well, their worry showing. "What?"
"Nothing." Isabel said, "We were just wondering...well." She paused. "You said you were changed. How changed?"
Liz half shrugged, "I-I'm not sure. Riverdog didn't give me precise details on it, just that I would change. He said it would happen faster then normal but I'd be completely fine. I didn't ask for a detailed would-be power list but he did say I'd be more you," she pointed to them in general, "than me."
"So we could have more fire power?" Michael said instantly and Isabel moved to smack him over the head.
"What?! I'm just saying..."
Liz laughed quietly, "Yes, you could. But I don't know how much help I would be--I don't think I'll have that kind of control."
"It's still something," Max said, joining the conversation. "If it'll help protector you, then it's something."
"Can I ask you something?" Isabel spoke up after a short pause and Liz nodded.
"Yeah, sure. Go ahead."
"Are our...are our parents still alive?" Her voice sounded hopefully and even Michael looked interested in the answer.
Liz's eyes closed for a moment, considering the amount of information she'd received you would think that little piece would be in there but, as she thought back, it didn't seem to be.
"Liz?" Max's worried voice said and Liz noted that he sounded very far away and slowly; the dark-haired girl opened her eyes, jerking in surprise. The three aliens were now huddled around her, their expressions identical looks of alarm.
"What?" She whispered, looking at each of them in turn.
"Liz, you're...you're glowing."

---
TBC
---
Joque
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Kingom of fools, Chapter four

Post by Joque »

A/N: Hey! Sorry for the long break between chapters, I meant to update sooner but I like to be one chapter a head and chapter five gave me a lot of trouble!
I promise all (okay, most ) of your questions will be answered soon!

Kingdom of fools

Chapter Four:

The apartment was almost eerily quiet as the three aliens watched the only human in the room, their expressions ranging from alarmed to slightly scared. It was odd, really, to be the only human in the room but what was even odder was to be a glowing human.
"I'm...I’m glowing?" Liz asked in a small voice, her eyes widening as she stared at Max. "Like," she peeked a look down at her arm and almost gasped on shock.
She was glowing.
Not a blinding glow, but it would definitely catch your eye. It was a thick golden colour and if you looked at it long enough it almost looked as if it were moving, shaping around her body.
"W-why am I glowing?" Liz didn't direct the question to anyone in particular so she wasn't surprised when she received no answer--although she really would have liked one.
"Does it..." Max began, his eyes glued to her face, "does it hurt?" he asked and when Liz shook her head he let out a relived sigh. "Good." He said and then, slowly, he reached out a hand to touch her arm.
"Max?" Isabel whispered, watching his hand as it neared Liz.
Hesitating a little, Max shook his head and then continued, his hand going through the glow without any effort and his fingers meeting the soft skin of Liz's arm.
All four let out a breath and Michael swore softly.
"What the hell is that?"
"I don't know," Max said worryingly and before he could say anymore the glowing dimmed somewhat but didn't disappear completely.
Isabel shifted forward, "What triggered it, do you think?" She asked and Liz thought back, she hadn't been thinking about glowing that's for sure.
"I was thinking about your parents..." Liz began, "you wanted to know if they were a alive but I didn't-" She stopped suddenly as the information she had been seeking quickly flashed through her mind. "They're dead." Liz said quietly, her eyebrows drawing down. "They were killed before your ship left Antar...they're dead." She repeated, just as quietly and she flicked her gaze to Max. "I didn't know that." The brunette said, the truth of her words evident in her tone. "Before...I-I didn't know that."
The other three stared at her.
"You mean," Isabel said, "before you started...glowing?" And Liz nodded.
"When you first asked me, I didn't know. I remember not knowing and then..." She lifted up her still dimly glowing arm. "This happened and the information was just...there."
Michael sat back on the table scratching his eyebrow absently. "So...what does this mean?" He asked.
"I think," Max said, still watching Liz. "That Riverdog did more than just tell her the information. He must have somehow...given it to you."
"Actually," Liz said, "I think you're right. He said there would be things I'd just know but...he never mentioned the whole, glowy thing." She said, her eyes darting down to look at her hands.
"So it's normal?" Michael asked then corrected himself. "Well, not normal but. Normal." He shrugged.
"I couldn't say for sure but it doesn’t hurt so..." Liz trailed off and Max reached out for her hand again, "Okay, but let's just--let's not ask to many questions in the wrong company." He grinned at her, "Okay?"
"Okay." She agreed, returning his smile.
"Alright."
There was a long silence as they each took a moment for the past few hours to sink in. The three aliens were overwhelmed by their new situation while Liz was simply trying not to think to hard about hers--though, it didn't always work.
"Hey." She said, breaking the other three out of their thoughts. "Do you think in the morning..." She started once she knew they were paying attention. "Do you think I could, or you could, get Maria and Alex over? I'd just--I'd really like to see them."
"Of course." Max answered straight away; "they're meeting us-" he stopped and swore loudly. "Tess." Was all he said and Michael was instantly on his feet.
"Where?!" He demanded, his gaze darting around the room.
"No, not here." Max amended quickly, "Well, not here yet anyway." He scrubbed a hand over his face. "Last night, she called to say the last of the FBI files had been destroyed and I..." He glanced at Michael, "I invited her to meet us in the morning." He tone was almost apprehensive as he said the last part.
"You invited her to my place?" Michael barked out instantly, shaking his head.
"Yes." Max agreed, "I was just trying to 'make her feel like she was a part of the group'." He looked towards Isabel.
"Oh." Was all the other girl said, her expression showing she already felt bad about her rant from yesterday.
"Well, now you can un-invite her." Michael said, his tone leaving no room for argument.
"Right." Max nodded, "I'll do it first thing in the morning." He said and glanced at the clock. "Which will be in less than four hours." He added, seeing it was now almost four am.
"I take it we won't be showing up for school tomorrow?" Michael asked with fake sadness and the others nodded in response.
"Seeing as it's the anniversary," Max said, his eyes flicking to Liz for a second before he focused on the other two. "Our parents won't ask to many questions if we miss school--the same with Alex and Maria's parents."
"Mom and Dad will wonder where we are in the morning, Max." Isabel said, "Maybe I should go home, I'll see them in the morning and tell them you're here." She continued, nodding in agreement with herself. "They'll ask me to check up on you anyway...so."
Liz tuned them out as they sorted out a plan for the morning; her skin had stopped glowing a minute or so ago but she kept a close watch on it nevertheless. Glowing skin, huh? Hopefully, that wasn't the only thing she could do. It would definitely be a disappointment.
She knew there had to be something more then just what she remembered, she was gone a year after all and she vaguely remembered Riverdog telling her she'd know things--he'd just left out the glowing part. Still, it made her wonder what other pieces of information she had hidden away within her that could, with the right question, come out at anytime. Then again, maybe she shouldn't be wondering at all right now, she didn't want to alarm the others by suddenly glowing again.
Liz wasn't sure why but neither of the aliens had asked the questions she herself would have, things like the location of the Granolith. Even though she wouldn't be able to tell them she had expected them to ask. Or even why Riverdog, if he had been so close the whole time, had never tried to contact them.
The brunette shook her head a tad, of course they may just be more than a little overwhelmed by the amount of information they'd already received so maybe that was just her. She glanced at Max, watching him as he spoke softly to Isabel. She couldn't imagine what he must have gone through in the past year, and then to have everything turned on its head... She remembered the last time she had seen him, when he had made her promise to come back if there was any trouble. He must have blamed himself, Liz thought suddenly, frowning as she watched him.
But, like Max had said, she was back now. They would sort it all out.
Liz moved back, bring her legs up under her on the couch. She still couldn't get the image of the photograph out of her head. She had been so excited to be back and when she turned around the jetta was gone and in almost the exact same place was a picture of her. The photo had been taken only a month before hand, by her time anyway. She stared unseeingly at the wall as she remembered before shaking herself out of it.
Everything was going to be fine, she thought to herself, everything would be fine and to distract herself Liz began to look around the room. She almost laughed out loud as she noted the amount of Metallica memorabilia, and then her eyes lit on a small newspaper clipping stuck to the fridge. Moving off the couch, Liz gave Max a small smile before heading into the small kitchen but stopped when the headline came into view.

ELIZABETH PARKER REMEMBERED

Liz paused, just staring at the headline before moving forwards till she was in front of the fridge. Slowly, she brought her fingers up and traced them over the picture of her and her parents in front of the Crashdown and then she began to read:

November 1st, 2000

There is no one in Roswell who doesn't know the name 'Elizabeth Parker' and, if you happen to be one of the very few who don't, this is her story.
Elizabeth was one of Roswell's brightest teens, a straight A student with a bright future but that all changed on the morning of November 3rd, 1999 when the young girl was discovered missing by her Mother, Nancy Parker. The details are still unclear and, to this day, the case causes strong debate whenever mentioned. What is clear is the fact that young Elizabeth was fated for a tragic end. It is speculated that the young girl had gone on a late night trip to the local Mescalero reservation, her reasons unknown to us, and simply never returned. The burrowed car was later discovered at the scene but there were no traces of the girl and as the case continued, certain groups in Roswell turned, not to the police, but to the skies for answers. The case was dragged on for two months without any solid leads before officers from the bordering city of Albuquerque found the body they believed to be Elizabeth and they were soon proven correct.
Yet, even with the proof provided by the coroner, particular groups in Roswell called it a 'government conspiracy', claiming the young girl had been 'taken' and the Government was simply trying to cover up alien activity.
But, no matter what you believe, the heart of this story is the loss of a young life, the people this girl cared for and the people who still care for her. Tomorrow afternoon there will be a memorial service held at the Mescalero reservation where Elizabeth was last seen alive and the local community are all welcome to attend.
Though it has been a year since this tragedy it is still too fresh for some, none of Miss Parker's close friends or family would comment on the lack substantial evidence or the fact the her killer still remains at large.

Liz stopped reading, her eyes blurring as she took a step back. Sadness, anger and shock were all raging through as the article ran through her mind. Sadness for what her friends and family had been through over the course of the past year and anger for the fact that the reporter had dared to pester them still, a year later. And shock. Shock because here it all was, in black and white.
Her friends and family thought she was dead, had thought she was dead for the passed year. They had been living every day with the thought that they'd never see her again.
"You okay?"
Liz started and turned, surprised to find Michael hovering by her side. "I-I..." He gestured towards the article and he nodded in understanding.
"I put it there yesterday," He said, reaching out and pulling it off the fridge. "It was just so I'd remember, you know, what day it was." He screwed the paper up into a ball and threw it in the rubbish bin.
"You didn’t have to," Liz indicated towards the bin.
Michael shrugged, "Maria would have pitched a fit if she'd seen it anyway. She hates those articles." He said, not quite meeting her eyes and Liz smiled.
"I'll bet she does." And she really did. She could just hear the other girl now, ranting on and on about them. She laughed.
"What?" Michael asked but Liz just shook her head.
"I just...I can't wait to see her."
"Liz?"
The girl in question turned at her name, a smile gracing her lips as Max came to stand beside her.
"You okay?" The dark-haired boy asked glancing between her and Michael and Liz nodded.
"Good."
There was an awkward pause.
"Well," Michael said, clapping his hands together. "I'll go..." he pointed towards the living room, "over there."
Both Max and Liz laughed as Michael did just that.
"So," Max said, meeting her gaze. "You're really okay?"
"Yeah." Liz said but couldn't help looking towards the bin where she could still see the screwed up article.
Max followed her stare, frowning when his eyes lit on the paper. "Oh."
"Yeah." Liz said again, still staring at it. Part of her wanted to finish reading the article while a much lager part of her wanted to burn it.
Max took her hand and effectively shook her out of her staring competition with the newspaper as she looked toward him.
"Isabel's going to go home." He said, looking at their joined hands. "She'll be there in the morning to talk to our parents and then she'll pick up Alex on her way back."
At Alex's name, Liz smiled. The thing she was most happy to learn about was that Alex finally knew the truth and she couldn't wait to hear how that went. "That's good." She replied, "And Maria...?"
She couldn't help but ask but Max seemed to understand and he nodded his head in Michaels direction. "Michael's going to pick her up and…slowly try to bring the subject up so she doesn't-"
"Freak out." Liz laughed.
"Yeah." Max agreed, leading her back into the lounge where Isabel was preparing to leave.
"So…" Isabel paused, looking unsure for a moment before pulling Liz into a quick hug. "I'll see you later." She said, drawing back.
"I'll be here." Liz laughed and Isabel smiled, "I know." The blond paused again at the door but seemed to shake herself and with one last look, she was gone.
"I'm just going to..." Max directed in glaze towards the bathroom.
"Oh, yeah, okay." The brunette laughed, slightly embarrassed but Max just squeezed her hand reassuringly before he headed over to the bathroom.
Liz took her pervious seat on the couch, smiling somewhat awkwardly at Michael as she did so and after a moment's silence she shifted uncomfortably. "So," she began, "you and Maria?"
Michael shrugged, "Yeah."
"Okay..." Liz's raked her brain for something to say but came up empty handed. Michael's one word answer didn't exactly help matters. "Umm..."
The light-haired boy glanced towards the bathroom as if willing Max to hurry up before his gaze settled back on Liz. "So..." He glanced back to the door, "Can I ask you something?" He said unexpectedly and Liz started slightly before answering. "Yeah, sure."
"Why didn't this Riverdog guy ever contact us?" He asked without preamble.
The dark-haired girl smiled as her earlier thought came back to her, "I was waiting for someone to ask that." She started. "When the ship crashed your pods were damaged," as she spoke Max exited the bathroom, "and when Riverdog got the pods to a safe place he realized that they had lost just under half of their power..." Max sat down next to her and Michael held up his hand when the other boy went to speak and then gestured for Liz to continue. "He repaired what he could but he didn't have the right materials, the right technology." She looked between the two boys as she spoke. "There were certain parts devoted to keeping different things working but after the crash there was only enough power to keep one of those things going."
"What does this have to do with my question?" Michael asked before Liz could continue and the dark-haired girl rolled her eyes.
"I'm getting to that." She said. "I'm not sure how it works but when the pods matured some sort of...something," She shook her head and shrugged, "was supposed to release into the pods before you were...born, and that would trigger your memories."
"Our memories? Of...of before?" It was Max who asked the question and Liz nodded. "But we-"
"I know." Liz said. "That's my point." She gave Michael a sharp look. "There was only enough power to ensure you lived--nothing else and he knew then that you wouldn't mature fully, there just wasn't enough power." She paused to let her words sink in and then continued. "Riverdog had to make a choice." Liz said softly, "You were going to come out as children, with no memories of who you were-"
"So he just left us there?" Michael interrupted, "Just like that?"
"No," Liz said, shaking her head. "No. He didn't 'just leave'. He watched you all as you first came out and were found." She closed her eyes for a moment. "You have no idea how much he knew about you," she continued, trying to make them realize what he'd done--Riverdog had always been there, they just didn't know it. "He never left Roswell, not even once."
"Then how come he neve-"
"Your enemies have been on earth just as long as you have." Liz said over him. "He did everything he could to keep them away from you guys and then--then..." Her voice trailed off and she looked guiltily at Max. "Then you healed me." She said quietly. "And it alerted all the wrong people, but with everything going on with the sheriff and the FBI he couldn't do anything--not without losing so much more." Her voice was strong as she spoke and Michael glanced uncomfortably at Max as she went on. "Riverdog couldn't risk reveling himself to you after that, he would have only been putting you in more danger." Liz finished and looked at Michael. "Does that answer you question?" She asked but Michael looked unabashed under her gaze.
"Yeah," he started, "it also gave me a lot more."
Liz gave him a look as if to say 'well?' but Max beat him to it. "You said he watched us?" He asked and the dark-haired girl nodded. "Then how could he think you were one of us?"
The question hung in the air and Liz smiled almost proudly at Max. "He has very different means of watching you all." She began, "He didn't stalk you guys around town, in fact he hardly ever even left the reservation." Max and Michael shared a confused glance. "Your powers." Liz stated. "They have a signature, it's almost like a tracking beckon to him." She clarified. "If he reached out far enough he knew where you were, he knew how you were. The only problem," Liz continued, "is that all your signatures are basically the same and when you healed me..." She looked at Max.
"I left my...signature?" He finished in understanding.
"Exactly." Liz tucked a stray piece of hair behind her ear then said, "I had the signature and the necklace, he didn't think to check on the rest of you he was just--thankful that someone had finally come to him."
"Okay," Michael granted, "now I have another question."
"Michael." Max warned.
"What?! We finally have someone who can answer all our questions and I for one plan to take full advantage of that fact!" He huffed.
"Tess and Nasedo didn't answer your questions?" Liz asked before the pair could continue their dispute, puzzled.
Both boys slumped slightly at Liz's query. "Well," Max ran his hand through his hair, "They did answer some questions they just-"
"Left a hell of a lot out." Michael said bitingly. "We can never get a straight answer out of either of them, it was always 'when you're ready you'll know' or the ever present "because it's your destiny'." He mimicked mockingly and Max chuckled. "Yeah, that's pretty much it." He agreed.
"Lovely," Liz smiled then looked at Max. "I don't mind," She said with a shrug. "I expected far more questions anyway."
"I know it's just..."
"I can ask my questions later." Liz said warmly, "I don't mind. Really." She added as Max opened his mouth to argue and, flashing Max a small smile, switched her gaze to Michael. "Fire away."
"The sense thing Riverdog has, do we all have it?" He asked immediately.
For the next half an hour the three of them discussed the fact that, yes, they did have that ability and all that that entailed. Liz explained that all the three aliens would need was some practice--all Antarians had the gift so it should be easy for them to pick back up.
Their discussion was slowly winding down when Michael asked, "What about you?"
Liz meet his gaze, "What about me?"
"Will we be able to sense you?" He explained and the dark-haired girl frowned in thought.
"I think so, yeah. Maybe not as," She yawned then blushed slightly, "Sorry...maybe not as strongly as you will each other, but yeah."
"Right." Michael covered a yawn of his own and seconds later Max did they same before laughing.
"I think that's it for toni- for this morning." He corrected himself.
"Yeah," Michael agreed, getting to his feet and stretching. "I'll grab some blankets." He said and set about doing just that.
Liz stood as well, yawning once again.
"You know," Max said suddenly, his tone light. "Technically, you haven't slept in a year."
The brunette laughed, "Technically, yeah." She said then added after yet another yawn, "It almost feels true."
"You can take my room," Michael said when he re-entered the room, dumping a wad of blankets on an armchair and Liz looked at Max in surprise.
"You." The dark-haired boy clarified quickly. "Just..." He cleared his throat, "just you."
"Oh, yeah, of course." Liz answered, blushing darkly. "Yeah."
"Yeah." Max met her eyes for a moment before looking away.
There was an uncomfortable silence as Max and Liz looked anywhere but at each other and after a moment Michael coughed loudly.
"So..." He said as meaningfully as possible.
"Yeah," Liz laughed somewhat nervously, "I'll just..." She gestured towards Michael's bedroom, "Go." She said and made her way over. "Goodnight." She said, pausing at the door to look back.
"Night." The two boys echoed back and watched as the door shut behind her.
Shaking his head, Michael set about dividing the blankets, throwing half on the couch before grabbing a pillow and making himself a makeshift bed on the floor.
"Definitely not how I thought the day was going to end..." He muttered as he shifted onto his newly made 'bed'. His words were met by silence and the lighter haired boy looked up.
Max was still standing, his eyes glued to closed door.
"Maxwell?" Michael said, snapping his fingers to get the other boys attention and was somewhat satisfied when Max jumped. "Just go say goodnight already," He continued and he wasn't in the least bit surprised when Max immediately started towards the door.
"Jesus Christ..." He muttered, rolling his eyes.

As soon as the door shut behind her Liz covered her face with her hands.
"Of course he didn't mean both of us." She whispered wryly, mentally smacking herself over the head. "God!" Shaking it off, Liz walked towards the bed noting that Michael had obviously done a quick clean up of it and she laughed. It seemed everybody had changed and definitely for the better.
Pulling the blankets back, Liz made to take off her jacket when a soft knock on the door halted her.
"Yeah?" The door opened to revel Max, "Hey..." Liz said softly as he quietly closed the door behind him.
"Hey," Max took a step further into the room, pausing at the foot of the bed. "I just wanted to say goodnight."
Liz smiled at his self-conscious pose, "Oh..." She hadn't noticed the changes in Max until she'd seen him talking to Isabel and Michael, he now had a certain confidence surrounding him yet right now it seemed to be missing in action. He looked up, meeting her eyes and Liz was instantly reminded of earlier that night, when she had first seen him at his window. His look was almost exactly the same--he was looking at her as though she was a dream, like if he were to blink she would disappear.
"I'm not going anywhere, Max." She said soothingly, "I promise."
"I...I know." He nodded, "I just..."
"I know." Liz said, thinking about his previous reaction--if things had have been the other way round she wouldn't want to let him out of her sight either.
"Yeah." Max moved forwards slowly, as if not to scare her before pulling her into his arms much as he had done earlier and Liz was stuck by a sudden memory as Max pulled back.
"You said you love me." She whispered.

------
TBC
------
Joque
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Kingdom of fools; Chapter Five

Post by Joque »

A/N: ...So. I didn't update faster at all -- I took even longer and I'm really sorry. I honestly meant to update sooner it just...didn't work out that way. >.> But here's an update and I can promise you Alex and Maria in the next chapter! ^_^
Thanks for the feedback -- it means a lot!

Kingdom of fools

Chapter Five

The sudden panic on Max's face was enough to settle the insistent little voice in the back of Liz's mind telling her she'd made that part up. She wasn't sure what had caused her to remember that particular detail all of a sudden but she was thankful for it--she probably wouldn't get another chance to go over this they would, after all, have much more important things to be doing.
Max's expression smoothed almost as quickly as the panic had appeared and he met her eyes. "I did," He agreed, "And I meant it." He continued after a moment's pause, his eyes searching Liz's but the girl said nothing. She was to busy melting on the inside--she wasn't going to lie, she had known Max loved her, had known since the dark-haired boy had first connected with her what was now over a year ago.
"You don't have to say anything." He said quickly, touching her arm lightly. "I understand that to you, we haven't really known each other long or..." He shrugged, "I just wanted you to know that I do. That I love you."
Liz smiled, her heart warming at Max's words and she wanted to say something back, to tell him what he meant to her but Max didn't give her the chance. Catching her hands the dark-haired boy brought them up, pressing is lips to them briefly before letting them go.
"Goodnight, Liz." Stepping back Max gave Liz a small smile before heading back out.
"Goodnight, Max." Liz said softly as the door shut behind him.

--

"When you return you will be more."
"More?"
"You will be more like them, me, you will be
more."
"I don't-"
"You do."
Silence.
"I do."
"You will need to be aware of yourself, it will come without thought, without warning."
"..."
"It will not harm you--not now."
"How do I co-"

"You can't-"
"How do I-"
"I have to do something-"
"control it, how can-"
"half-assed-"
"How can I-"
"What do you want me to-"
"be aware of something-"
"-do, Michael!"
"I can't even-"
"I don't know!"

Liz awoke slowly, the dregs of her dream blending with reality before she could even think to remember it and after a moment she grudgingly opened her eyes to stare blurrily at her surroundings. Focusing her eyes, Liz's heart jumped in her chest at the unfamiliar room before the pervious nights events quickly flashed through her mind.
"Michaels." She said aloud, her voice hoarse from sleep. Closing her eyes Liz let out a breath as she stretched, her body arching off the bed before falling back with an almost boneless ease.
"I should get up." She said to the room around her but contradictory to her words the brunette snuggled further under the blankets, not ready to face the world.
Well, what of the world she would actually be allowed to face anyway.
Sighing, Liz poked her head out from under the covers. It was too late now; her mind was fully awake and already going over the whole situation--in full detail.
As her mind worked Liz heard the dull noise of conversation coming from the other room and she slowly sat up, yawning as she did so and she glanced around the room for a clock. Isabel should be arriving-
"With Alex!" And Michael should be going to get Maria!
Standing quickly, Liz hastily ran her hands through her hair in an effort to smooth it down and then began righting her clothes. She could feel a bubble of anxiety forming within her at the thought of seeing her friends again; would they believe it was really her? She couldn't blame them for having doubts, not only had it been a year but they had seen proof of her death, yet here she was.
Liz took a deep breath then released it forcibly as if she were blowing her fears away with it.
They were her friends, her best friends--she didn't need to worry. Running a hand through her hair once more, Liz opened the bedroom door to enter the lounge. Max and Michael were seated on the stools and both looked up when she entered, Max standing up and walking to met her.
"You're up," Max stated, as if the act was cause for celebration and Michael snorted into his cereal.
Liz smiled, "I'm up," She confirmed and Max returned her smile.
"I hope we didn't wake you." He went on, glancing back at Michael. "We were trying to come up with a plan and things got a little...loud."
"Oh," Liz looked between the two--she hadn't heard a thing. "No, no you didn't." She said, shaking her head.
"Good."
"Yeah."
They stared at each other for a moment before Max broke eye contact, motioning to the kitchen, "There's cereal if you want some or..." He scratched his head absently, "Actually, there's really only cereal." He said with a laugh, "But if you wanted something else I could go-"
"Cereal's fine." Liz interrupted him, "Cereal's great." She nodded.
"Great."
"Yeah, I'll just go...freshen up." Smiling, Liz moved past Max and over to the bathroom. Once inside the brunette took another deep breath, leaning back against the door. Things were so...awkward, yet not. There was something holding her back from being...well, her around Max and it was beginning to frustrate the hell out of her.
Letting out an annoyed sound, Liz pushed away from the door to stand in front of the mirror, looking at herself from all possible angles in the hopes of finding something changed...something more. It was no use of course and after a while Liz opened the bathroom cabinet.
"Ah-ha!" Mouthwash. Just what she was in need of. Now, if only the cabinet would miraculously produce a change of clothes.
Tipping her head back, Liz swished the mouthwash around in her mouth before spitting it out into the sink and turned on the tap to wash it away. Bracing her hands on either side of the sink, Liz watched as the water blended with the green of the mouthwash then completely washed it away. Huh. She supposed that's what her body was doing on the inside; her mouthwash was being completely over ridden by Max's water. She tried to be frightened at the thought but she was almost entirely numb to it. It's not that she didn't care she was changing; it was big, huge. But it was also somewhat natural--to her anyway. Mentally shaking herself, Liz put her hands under the cool water of the tap and brought them up to scrub over her face.
Maybe she didn't mind so much because, before, the only thing stopping her and Max from being together was the fact that they had been different--different in every way that seemed to matter. But now she was becoming, quiet literarily, one of them. Before, she had thought it was impossible for them to be together. As in, scientifically impossible. He was an Alien and she was human impossible. And now...was it possible now?
Liz turned the tap off and reached for a towel, absently bringing it up to dry her face.
Technically she was an alien too, or a least part alien so, yeah. It must be possible.
Nodding in agreement with herself, Liz put the mouthwash back in the cabinet and closed it with a snap.
Of course, she didn't know for sure...although if Michael and Maria were together then it had to be any which way. Right?
Liz continued to ponder whether or not it was a possibility as she turned to hang the towel back on the rail only to drop it in alarm as she caught sight of herself in the mirror. Moving back in shock of her brightly glowing reflection Liz stepped on the now forgotten towel, losing her footing and with a rather undignified squawk fell backwards onto the hard floor.
"It is possible." Liz groaned from her sprawled out position on the floor, the information she had been seeking now flashing through her mind. "It's definitely possible..."
"Liz! Liz, are you okay?" Was all the warning she got before the bathroom door slammed opened and Max and Michael came barrelling through it, both wearing matching expressions of panic.
Oh, god. Kill me now. Liz thought as she lay on the floor and she closed her eyes as the humiliation set in. "Yeah," she said weakly, "I-I'm good."
"You're glowing again." Michael stated stupidly from the doorway as Max leant down to help the brunette to her feet and Liz cringed at his unintentional reminder. She really didn't want to explain that one.
"Thanks." Liz said once she back on her feet, lifting her gaze to meet Max's concerned eyes.
"What happened?" The dark-haired boy asked, his eye's leaving Liz's for a moment to search the room around them, looking for any kind of threat.
"Oh...I, uh...fell." Liz said in a small voice, a dark blush staining her face--God this was embarrassing.
"You fell?" Michael questioned, his gaze darting around the room for a cause and Max followed suit.
"I..." Liz tried to think of something, anything less embarrassing then what actually happened and failed. "I slipped on the towel." She revealed, pointing to the object in question before bringing her hands up to cover her face.
There was silence for a moment as Max and Michael undoubtedly tried not to laugh.
"But, you're okay?" Max asked, his voice even and Liz nodded from behind her hands. "Good."
"But why are you glowing?" Michael asked bluntly and Max turned to her with interest.
For a spilt second, Liz actually thought about making a break for it. Of course, she'd then have the problem of having nowhere to go, she couldn't even go outside and if she ran they'd really want to know what she'd been thinking about.
"Liz?"
Dropping her hands, the brunette tried to smile at Max; really she did but from the way he frowned suddenly she knew she hadn't succeeded.
"Liz, what is it?" Max asked, his voice growing concerned and Liz cringed. She was only making things worse--now they thought it was something to worry about. Stealing herself, Liz drew in a deep breath and Max and Michael seemed to copy her, expecting bad news.
"I..." She cleared her throat. "I was thinking about..." Her eyebrows drew down as she tried to explain and she forced out a small laugh. "It's really silly," She said, nodding as she spoke as if to convince them. "I mean, nothing important." Liz watched as they're expressions turned confused and Michael opened his mouth to speak but Liz bet him to it.
"It's nothing you need to know." She rushed on. "Well," she paused, laughing again. "Okay, maybe you do but..." I don't want to tell. She thought desperately.
"Spit it out, Parker." Michael said flatly, his gaze expectant and Max turned to glare at him before looking back to her, his eyes somewhat apologetic--he too wanted to know.
"Right." She glanced at Max and then Michael who raised his eyebrow at her impatiently. "I was wondering if it were possible to," she shook her head and forced another smile. "If it were possible to, you know...umm...if a human and an alien could...be together." She finished lamely, not meeting either of the gazes she could practically feel upon her.
"As in...?"
"Yeah." She answered Max's unfinished question, mortified beyond belief by her current situation.
Silence fell yet again, this time somewhat awkward as they each looked anywhere but at each other and just when Liz was gathering the courage to break it Michael asked the one question she wasn't expecting.
"So?" Both Max and Liz lifted their eyes to look at the light-haired boy, "Is it possible?"
Liz's mouth worked silently as she tired to answer Michaels question and Max simply stared at the other boy.
"What?" Michael snapped, "It's not like I asked for a demonstration."
Liz coloured at the statement while Max's stare turned to a full on glare before the dark-haired boy lightly pushed Michael out the doorway.
"Aren’t you supposed to be picking up Maria?" Max said pointedly, motioning towards the door and Michael rolled his eyes.
"Yeah..." He said, turning to leave. "Don't forget to call Tess, or things could get ugly." He added as he stepped out the door of the small bathroom.
Max swore softly. "Right." He glanced at Liz. "I'm gonna..."
"Go call Tess." She finished for him, smiling lightly.
"Yeah."
Shaking her head, Liz followed Max out of the bathroom and headed to the kitchen while Max snatched up the phone before disappearing into the bedroom. The dark-haired girl paused as she watched Michael putting on his jacket and she took a deep breath. "It is." She said before she lost her nerve. "It's possible...and safe." She explained, watching as Michael's shoulders seemed to relax somewhat.
"Right." He glanced back at her. "Thanks."
Liz gave him a small smile as she watched him leave; laughing softly once the door was closed--she was going to have a serious talk with Maria later. Though, Liz thought as she poured cereal into a bowl, it was sweet that Michael was worried about Maria like that, worried that he could hurt her. It showed Liz how much he really cared for her friend.
Still smiling, Liz grabbed a spoon and took her first mouthful of food in a year--and almost choked.
"Eww." Was all she managed before she forced herself to chew the cereal and then swallow it. The mouthwash had been a very bad idea. Pushing the bowl away, Liz stared at it longingly. Now that she'd eaten something, bad taste and all, Liz realised she was practically staving. Bringing the bowl back again, Liz swirled it around a bit it the hopes it would help before taking another mouthful. Nope. She pulled a face, regretting the second mouthful as much as the first.
Going back to staring at the cereal, Liz looked up sharply when she heard Max curse loudly from the bedroom and a moment later the dark-haired boy reappeared.
"Max?" Liz looked at him questioningly, her eyebrows drawing down. "What? What is it?"
Max opened his mouth to reply but a knock on the door interrupted him and they both jumped. "You have to hide." Max said in an urgent whisper, making his way over to her and Liz was instantly on her feet. "Where?" She asked, matching his whisper and she looked around the, now that she thought about it rather small, apartment.
"Bedroom." Max replied shortly as there was another knock and Liz hastily made her way over, Max not too far behind.
"I'll let you know when it's safe." Max said once she was in the room and sent her a strained smile before gently closing the door.
Sitting down on the end of the bed, Liz listened intently as Max made what seemed like as much noise as possible as he made his way to the door before opening it and seconds later Liz heard a distinct female voice fill the apartment.
"Tess." She whispered to herself.
Her heart pumped wildly in her chest at the thought of being discovered and, as quietly as she could, Liz inched towards the corner of the room behind the door. It wouldn't exactly help much if someone was to barge in but it made her feel more hidden, if only a little. It was either this or under the bed.
Sliding down the wall to sit in a crouch, Liz focused again on the conversation in the other room. She could hear them faintly but couldn't make out the words they were saying and Liz wished any hidden powers she may have would come to the surface. Something like, hearing through walls, or perhaps seeing through walls--that'd come in handy right about now. Or invisibility.
Liz fought the urge to laugh. All she could do at the moment was glow and she couldn't even really do that on command.
Sighing, Liz shrugged off her frustrations. Now really wasn't the--
Liz straightened suddenly as the feel of...the feel of something filled the air, making everything around her somewhat hazy yet sharper all at once. The apartment was completely silent for a moment before Liz heard the tell-tail creak of the floorboards.
That's not Max, Liz thought and it wasn't a guess. She knew that wasn't Max moving around. The air seemed to grow heavier by the second with--
Power. Tess was using her powers.
Liz didn't know how she knew this, she just did. Something inside her recognised it and her body thrummed with her own energy, rebelling against something she couldn't see. Her breath picked up along with her heartbeat, something inside her was trying desperately to get out but was being held back.
Tess had stopped moving around, something obviously catching her attention and Liz screwed her eyes shut, feeling as though she were holding back a dam. She was stopping whatever it was inside of her, she realised. The strain wasn't from the energy, but from her holding it back.
Opening her eyes, Liz took a shaky breath and released it, letting go of every thought and effectively clearing her mind. She didn't know how this went, didn't even know what this would do, if it did anything at all that is. Liz simply let go.
There was a series of thumps from the other room and Liz knew Tess had stumbled, caught unaware. The air cleared suddenly and Liz fought to control her breathing. Liz had never done drugs, never so much as had a sip of alcohol so she didn't know what it was like when those things were suddenly gone, but she imagined it was something like what she was experiencing now. She felt as if she were coming down from a very high, high. Everything seemed duller, darker almost as if a fog had set in around her whist just a second ago everything had been sharp, bright and had felt overwhelmingly good.
Liz was dimly aware of the conversation in the other room as it picked back up and wondered briefly if she had just made things worse for herself.
Tess didn't sound like the kind of person who would just let something like this go--now she would be suspicious. Whatever it was that Liz had just done had disrupted Tess's own powers; stopped them somehow. Of course the other girl would want to know the cause.
So did Liz, for that matter.
All she had consciously done was let go. Whatever had built inside of her had done it automatically, without any prompting from her, it recognised what was happening and seemed to go on autopilot.
Leaning back against the wall, the brunette closed her eyes and smiled softly in spite of herself.
She could do more then just glow, she thought proudly. It didn't matter that she had no idea what she had just done, or even how she had done it. The point was that she had done something--something that didn't involve glowing.
A small tap on the door brought Liz out of her thoughts and she opened her eyes just in time to stop the door from hitting her as it opened.
"Liz?"
"Down here." Liz said sticking her arm around the door and Max walked further into the room, moving the door back slightly to see her and his eyebrows drew down once he could.
"I thought it might help." Liz said lightly, taking his offered hand. "It kind of did..." She continued once she was standing. Meeting Max's eyes the smile that was slowly making its way across her face dropped at the seriousness in his expression.
"I think Tess mindwarped me." Max said before Liz could even open her mouth to ask. "One minute she was standing in front of me and we were talking about the anniversary," as Max spoke he took a few steps backwards, sitting on the edge of Michaels bed, "and the next she was behind me, stuttering out an excuse of being late for school--then she just left." He paused, running a hand through his hair. "Liz, she knows." Max said, the anxiety clear in his voice. "She has too. She looked worried, frightened almost."
The brunette took it all in, watching as Max grew more and more agitated by the second.
"Tess doesn't know." Liz spoke out, her voice certain.
"Liz..."
"No." Liz interrupted. "I'm not trying to stay positive or be 'glass half-full'--Tess doesn’t know." She stressed, perching on the bed beside him.
"Liz, something shocked or scared Tess enough that she broke the mindwarp to early, before she was even--"
"Yeah." Liz cut him off softly. "I did."
Meeting his bewildered gaze the dark-haired girl quickly recounted what she had experienced, what she had, consciously or not, done.
"You broke her mindwarp?" Max asked in an awed voice once Liz was finished and the brunette nodded.
"Yes but...no." She shook her head. After saying it all out loud Liz now had a better picture of what had happened and something wasn't right.
"No?" Max looked confused and Liz couldn't blame him for being so. She had just explained what she did and now she was taking it back.
"No, not...there's something..." Liz thought back, going over every detail of what she had felt.
"It's weird," Max started and Liz turned to look at him as he spoke, "you have powers." He chuckled. "I mean, I knew you'd have powers--you told us--but it's just the idea..." Max trailed off, shaking his head. "Liz Parker with alien powers." He smiled, "Who would of thought it?"
Liz returned his smile, "Yeah." She agreed laughingly. "I certainly would never-" Cutting herself off abruptly, Liz stood to her feet. "It wasn't me." She stated, turning around to look at Max. "It wasn't me." She repeated, her eyes wide with sudden comprehension.
"Liz, wha-"
"But it was me, well, some of it but the rest...I knew something was happening but I didn't know what and a part of me recognised it but it was like a automatic reaction--but not mine." Liz tucked her hair behind her ears absently before looking to Max yet again. "Am I making sense?" She asked.
Max looked like he wanted to say yes but the dark-haired boy shook his head no. "No. Not really." He stated, "It was you...but it wasn't?"
"Exactly!" Liz stared at Max; her eyes bright while Max just simply stared.
"...Okay." Liz took her previous seat on the bed. "Remember when you connected with me?" She asked, turning slightly so she could see Max clearly as he nodded. "You were thrown across the room--before either of us could think. I didn't do that, it happened automatically."
Understanding dawned on Max's face. "You think it's something Riverdog did?" He half asked half stated.
"It would make sense." The brunette said. "With the amount of information, knowledge he gave me. It would make sense that he would want to protect that."
"It was you, but it wasn't you." Max repeated her early words, this time with understanding. "It's like an automated defence."
"When she started using her powers they triggered it and my...powers." Liz shook her head--she was never going to get use to saying that. "My energy, or whatever, just started gathering." She laughed. "I didn't even direct it anywhere." Liz looked at Max, smiling wryly. "I just let it go."
"But it was your power," Max reminder her. "And the fact that you disrupted Tess's mindwarp...she's always been more powerful then us and now that we know she isn't one of us we can only guess at what else she's been hiding..." He trailed off, seemingly lost in thought before he focused on Liz again. "Is Tess...is she an antarian? Or a shapeshifter?"
"Or a skin?" Liz added, shaking her head. "I have no idea, she could be either one." Liz just hoped it wasn't the former.
"You never asked her what planet she was from?" Liz asked with mock seriousness in a bid to lighten the mood and she was rewarded when Max laughed.
"Now why didn't I think of that?"
Laughing, Liz opened her mouth to reply but stopped short at the sound of the apartment door opening. Max stood immediately, motioning unnecessarily at Liz to stay still.
The brunette held her breath as Max peeked around the door, not sure what she was expecting him to see.
"Hello? Anybody home?"
This time, Liz almost stopped breathing completely. "Alex."

-------
TBC
-------