Dark As The Dungeon(UC/CC, Mat., A/N 1/19/07) Hiatus (WIP)

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

erinkatie
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Dark As The Dungeon(UC/CC, Mat., A/N 1/19/07) Hiatus (WIP)

Post by erinkatie »

Title: Dark As The Dungeon

Disclaimer: Ah! I will now repeat what everyone does in the first post of their stories, the TV Show Roswel is not mine and neither are the characters, okay!??!!

Rating: Mature

Coupling: There is UC / CC :twisted:

Summary: This is harder to write than the actual story! Shall I make it easy? Everything in Season One and up until Future Max has disappeared has (unfortunately) happened.

One month after the sleeping with Kyle Liz is starting to break. She understands that she can't tell Max what happened because if she were to do so Max would probably do anything he could to turn the tables in favor of our dreamers. That can't happen either because what is a good story really without any angst? After a harsh confrontation with a member of the Pod-Squad about her infedelity Liz breaks. She disappears from Roswell... but Liz wasn't kidnapped like she makes everyone believe. She was saved by Larek and brought to his planet Cerio where she discovers amazing things about herself. Does she return to Roswell in time to save Alex and stop Tess destruction? Or will her bitterness towards the pod squad for the way they reated her get in her way? Read on and find out!

Warning: The characters in the story definately have movement, meaning they grow and change like any other character. So don't be surprised if they do change, and change drastically.

Note: I don't really do "smut".

A/N 01/25/07: This fic has been moved to The Abyss because of the way the story is going to evolve.

Enjoy,
erinkatie!

Dark As The Dungeon - Prologue

Liz Parker watched Max Evans walk away from her window and as his heart was breaking shown through the windows of his eyes, so was hers. She stared out the window to her balcony even after he had climbed down, got in the jeep, started the engine and drove away. She thought maybe if she didn’t look to her left and see the boy laying next to her she wouldn’t realize that it wasn’t a dream. She felt nauseous. She got out of her bed holding the towel tight around her body, went to the bathroom and puked. She hated herself but it had to be done.

As she got dressed she heard Kyle lightly knock on the door. She washed her face with cold water and opened it. He looked at her with concern so she smiled weakly.

“Hey.”
“Liz, are you okay?”
“Yeah, yeah I’m fine. Hey, listen Kyle I really need you to not tell anyone. I mean… I mean it, no matter what happens, please. I need you to promise that you will never tell a soul.”
“Yeah, sure.”
“I am serious here, absolutely no one, no matter what happens.”
“Liz…”
“Please, please?” She said softly. She needed him to do this for her. Kyle just looked at her and she saw the worry in his eyes, the pity. She felt nauseous again.
“Yeah, Liz no matter what, I won’t tell anyone.”
Liz sighed heavily, she was so exhausted; she knew she wouldn’t sleep.
“Thanks, I’ll see you in school on Monday okay?”
“Sure, you take it easy okay?” He gave her a light kiss on her cheek, grabbed his jacket and hopped out the window. She looked at her bed knowing she could never sleep on it until those sheets were washed. She felt an emptiness beginning to form inside her. She had to look away but when she turned to the window she saw Max there.

“Hi.” Max held out his hand to help lift her out the window onto the balcony. Liz didn’t respond but took his hand in hers and followed him.
“I… I think, I think it worked.” Liz looked at him, his eyes looked dead. She swallowed the tears that threatened to decompose her, swallowed the puke that threatened her mouth.
“I know it did… I can’t feel you anymore.” She whispered. She felt as though she was suffocating, she took a deep breath and looked up at the stars that shun dimly above them.
“I’m sorry Liz, I know this must be hard.”
“No, Max, you don’t. I don’t think you know at all. In a few minutes you will be gone because you won’t love me anymore. But I'll be here. I'll have to live with this for the rest of my life.” She shuddered at that thought. The rest of her life seemed like an eternity and she wished deep down inside of her that it would end soon. “I know I had to do this, I did it for Michael, and Isabel, and everyone we love. For you, but I don’t feel alive anymore.”
He looked at her lovingly and she couldn't meet his eyes, she had to turn away. It killed her to know that he would never look at her that way again.
“Max will you give me one thing before you go?”
“Anything.”
“Our wedding dance.”
Max took her in his arms and held her tightly and for the last ten minutes she shared with him, the emptiness inside her receded just a little. He spun her around and lost her hand. She turned towards him and he was gone and at that moment Liz Parker knew that Max Evans no longer loved her.
Last edited by erinkatie on Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:32 pm, edited 25 times in total.

Dean: Hey, you know what? There's a ton of lore on unicorns too, in fact,
I hear they ride on silver moonbeams and shoot rainbows outta their ass.

Harold Krick: I know this may sound like gibberish to you, but I think I'm in a tragedy.

“Don’t feel guilty, guilt is a wicked ghost.”

Ben: Evie, you're in the middle of nowhere!
Evie: Then I'll cling to the edge of somewhere!!!
erinkatie
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by erinkatie »

Thanks for the feedback! The prologue was kind of typical but nescessary none the less. The story is abstract but everything will be explained when it needs to be. Read on and enjoy!!

erinkatie!

Part One – Walking is Still Honest

Seven Months Later

She ripped through the sticky, silky membrane of the portal. She needed to breathe. Needed air. The warm May Roswell breeze burned her sensitive skin slightly. She moaned in pain. Dust from the desert floor clung to her wet body as she pulled the last remains off the membrane from her. Deep gasps of air filled her lungs inflating and deflating them. She weakly waved her hand over the portal closing it as it disappeared into the night. She fell to her knees, another moan of pain. Dropping onto her side and rolling onto her back she looked up at the stars, let out a long sigh. Her whole body hurt. Larek had definitely left some information about portal travel. She would have to stay on the familiar desert floor until her body recovered. Her eyes searched the sky. She was always searching. Time was so slow, so slow. She waited. What time is it? Midnight. Larek said it was midnight here. Was it really only ten seconds? T i m e was so s l o w.
She sat up. Another moan. Her throat was dry, too dry. She longed for the sweet eautar. The eautar of Cerio was sweet, salty, and spicy. She got back on her knees. No sharp pains. Good. She stood up. No dizziness. Good. She turned around three hundred and sixty degrees. She stopped. She sensed them towards the Northwest. Roswell. Seven months. She began the long walk back home. One year and three weeks. Seven months.

She was in her room. It was the same. She stared around her. Everything was just as it was the morning she went downstairs and never cam back up. Nothing has changed. Just like it was. She hated it. She could hear her parents in the kitchen. Eight a.m. Eight a.m. They were making breakfast. A smile crawled across her lips. She missed them. She took a step towards her door. She missed them. Eight a.m. breakfasts. Another step. She missed them so much. She waved her hand the door opened. She didn’t care, she missed them. She walked out into the kitchen. Twenty, twenty-one, twenty-two, twenty—thr— they spotted her. She smiled. God, she missed them.

“Lizzie?” Her father stepped forward. She smiled. She couldn’t stop smiling. It felt like forever. She looked at her mother. Her eyes beginning to rapidly tear. Tears, she felt them in her own eyes but she smiled.

“Daddy, Mom… I- I’m back.” Jeff and Nancy Parker hugged their daughter, a daughter who was missing for seven long torturous months.

“God Liz! What? Where- where have you been? How did you…? What?” Her father stuttered. Her mother was smothering her. She loved it. Her mother grabbed her face; she kissed her cheeks, her forehead, her nose. She urgently petted down her daughter’s hair. Grabbed her shoulders. Hugged her again.

“Oh Liz!” Her mother kissed her cheeks again. Hugged her tighter. “Oh Liz, thank God you’re back. Thank God!” Nancy kept kissing her, hugging her, squeezing her with desperation.

“I’m real, Mom.” She knew what her mother was thinking. Would she float away? Could she? Liz knew that she didn’t have that kind of power. She wouldn’t though, if she did. She felt so loved. Her Dad stayed in his spot holding her from behind tightly.

“I’m not going anywhere. I’m real.” Her parents still hugged her, loved her. She smiled. She missed them.

“Lizzie, Lizzie where have you been?”

“I was kidnapped.” Her parents held her tightly with their astonished and fear dripped hugs and loving words.

“Liz! What, by who?”

“I don’t know.”

“The Sheriff told us-”

“Please Daddy, can we sit on the couch? I’ll tell you but let’s sit on the couch… together.”

“Sure Lizzie.” Her parents wrapped their arms around her. Walked her to the couch. They sat her down in between them carefully. She wouldn’t break though. She knew they needed to baby her right now. She let them. She missed them so much. Seven months. One year and three weeks. Too long.

“What did the Sheriff tell you?”

“He said that you got in an argument with a friend, you left and that was the last time anyone saw you.”

“Yes, I did. Isabel, she… I – we had a disagreement. I got upset. I didn’t want to say anything I would regret so I decided to take a walk, calm down. I walked towards the desert. I heard a car. It was actually a van as I later discovered. Someone grabbed me from behind. They must have used chloroform or something. I blacked out. I don’t remember much.”

“They didn’t hurt you did they?” She looked over at her mother. There was no sign of disgust in them only fear. Fear for her daughter.

“No Mom, they didn’t.”

“Where did they take you?”

“New York.”

“What? Why?”

“I guess they thought Roswell has the best prostitutes in training.” She was smug. She was smug because she thought about Tess. They should have taken her. Her parents gasped and stood up. They looked down at her in mortification.

“Dad don’t worry they didn't do that. I had no pimp I swear. I am still a virgin. Promise.”

“Then why Liz, why did they take you?”

“Honestly I have no idea? I think they thought I was a loner, someone running away. Someone with no one to care that they were running.”

“They were wrong, damn it! We cared, we care Liz!”

“I’m fine. I’m fine now. They just made me do work for them. They thought I was a smart girl. So I did things for them. Make charts, get away routes, feed the hostages.”

“WHAT? Liz what the hell happened?”

“They were criminals, robbers I think. I told you dad… think of it as a secretarially position. A traveling secretarial position.”

Jeff was pacing. She could feel that he was beginning to panic. Was she being too calm? Should she cry?

“We have to call the Sheriff. I want those men found and put in jail.”

“Daddy, no. Please, we’ll tell the Sheriff but I don’t want to drag this out. It’s over. I’m just so glad it’s over. I got away. I don’t think they’d come back. I think after a while they knew they had made a mistake. They practically threw me out. Please Dad, I just want to move on. I want to… I want, I want to live again.” She could sense she was winning him over.

“Please… Daddy.” Jeff Parker gave in. He was just glad to have her home. Glad to have his Lizzie back with them. He was so miserable, Nancy too. Seven months, only seven months but it felt like somuch longer.

“Well we will at least call the Sheriff. He’ll want to take a statement.” She knew this was coming. She stood up from the couch. Smiled at her Dad, her Mom. She had missed them.

“Of course. First thing in the morning.” Her parents took her into their embrace again, like she was their little girl. She knew she would never be that girl. Not again. Not after seven months. Not after one year and three weeks. She knew she wouldn't.

Harold Krick: I know this may sound like gibberish to you, but I think I'm in a tragedy.

erinkatie
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Part Two

Post by erinkatie »

Pandas - I'm sorry it's confusing. You are right though I am keeping things from you. Many things won't be addressed for some time. If it gets too confusing let me know. Thanks!

Part Two - Facing the Past

Saturday morning. It’s Saturday, didn’t she usually work on Saturdays? Work… it seems so trivial now. Liz looked around her room. It didn’t change since she talked to her parents. She hoped that it might magically change. The memories would be absent by the time she came back in. They were vivid though, always so vivid. She changed her clothes. Jeans, a Hanes white t-shirt with a breast pocket, and brown flip-flops. Should she go downstairs? She knew Maria was working. Her parents mentioned her earlier. Maria. Just another face to lie to. She needed to have the upper hand in this confrontation. Her parents would mention her return to Maria. Maria would fly up the stairs in a second. Catch Liz off guard. No, she would go to Maria. Her brown sandaled feet made their way to the door and down the back steps to the “employees only” room. Liz could hear her yell at Michael for something. She stopped short. Michael. Michael was there too. Damn it. Well, let’s get this show on the road then. Deep breathes.

“Hey Maria, Michael.”

She watched Maria curiously wondering if she would do what Liz expected her to. Maria did not disappoint her. Squealing, hugging, kissing, crying, laughing, and much more emotion ensued on the part of Maria. Liz stood detached only hugging her back slightly. Seven months. Liz remembered vividly. Seven months and still she could not forgive her friend. Her lifetime best friend and confidant but that lifetime ended seven months ago for Maria. One year and three weeks ago for Liz.

Michael pulled Maria off. He gave Liz a suspicious cock of the eyebrow and condescending wave. Liz bestowed upon him a blank stare.

“What are you doing here?”

“It’s nice to see you too Michael.” Liz noted how Maria did not to the expected and smack Michael upside the head for such impoliteness. Clearly she was wondering the same thing as her alien counterpart.

“Just got back.”

“No shit, from where?”

“That’s none of your business.”

“Liz, I – we… what happened?”

Did Liz hear worry in her voice? Was Maria worried about her? She didn’t have any right to worry.

“I don’t think that is any of your business either Maria.” She was cold. That was the only way she could be. She needed to keep her sanity in a place where it could be easily lost.

“We were just worried about you.”

“Oh, were you? Thanks… Where’s Alex?” Maria was stung. She was satisfied to inflict a little pain. Liz could see the suspicion beginning to rise throughout Maria’s entire body. Her hand clenched Michaels arm, as if signaling, her body tensed up and her eyes went cold. Maria saw that Liz was not acting “normal”. Things change.

“Alex is in Sweden.” What? No, Alex’s definitely not in Sweden. He wasn’t in Roswell either and he hadn’t been for sometime. She could sense it that’s why she asked. He was nearby though. She could definitely feel him. Not too far away. He’s still close enough.

“Oh, is he?” Liz cocked an eyebrow similar to Michael but instead of suspicion she was amused. Maria was not lying. She could read her like an open large font book. So, they actually believed Alex was in Sweden. What is going on here?

“Yes. He is.”

“Why did he go to Sweden?” Maria tensed up. Liz could tell she was remembering something. She moved quickly. She grabbed on. Within seconds Liz was watching the memory from Maria.

“Do you guys think it was… Czech related?”
Alex asked the group softly. They were all sitting under the tree at lunchtime three months after Liz disappeared. They had discussed every possibility of what happened but to avail. They never found her.

Tess scoffed. “Why would they want her? She is just a…” Isabel interrupted her before she could go on.

“Tess, stop it.” She snapped. She looked at Alex.

“I don’t think this is “Czech” related as we have discussed many times before. I mean the FBI is not onto us, Nascedo has taken care of that. We have tried everything. She is unreachable. I have tried to dream walk her almost every night. I can’t even feel her.”

“So you are saying that we should just what Isabel? We should just give up hope?” Maria could tell Alex was losing control. Isabel had said the wrong thing.

“No that is not what I am saying. I am trying to be rational Alex, it has been months maybe she is… maybe she is…” Maria knew what she was going to say. Maybe she is dead? No she refused to believe it. Alex refused to believe it too. She knew he was upset with Isabel for the way she treated Liz. He told Maria once he thought the reason she slept with Kyle was to get Max to do what the book said was supposed to happen. She was trying to let Max go. She saw his anger rise. He just looked at Isabel maliciously.

“Don’t.” He whispered. “Don’t even think about saying that she is dead. Because… because Isabel, if, if she is dead, IT MEANS THAT YOU KILLED HER.” He screamed. Maria and everyone else stared at him wide- eyed so he took the opportunity to continue.

“You all sit here and cry over what happened to her. But do you even think about the way you all treated her…” Tess tried to interrupt him but he wasn’t having it.

“You shut your mouth Tess. You are probably happy that she is gone now that you have Max. I know she hurt Max. But she did it because of you Tess. She tried to help you, you ungrateful bitch. Don’t you dare mention her because you poison her beautiful name. It’s your fault she is gone. I’m sick of this. We give you four everything and what do you do? You kill us. I’m out. Right now. This is it. I’m done. I’ll keep your secret. But I don’t want to have anything more to do with any of you.” He turned his back to walk away, but took one last look at them all. Everyone just stared at him. They couldn’t believe that Alex Whitman would ever do this, say these things. Even Michael just sat there and stared at him.

“I hope you all one day understand the sacrifice Liz Parker made for you. Because of her you all get to live.”

Maria watched him walk away. Within three weeks he was on his way to Sweden for a study abroad program. He wouldn’t even talk to her. He wouldn’t look at her.

Liz stared at Maria. The memory was over in one second but the emotions lingered. Guilt was the strongest one. Maria felt guilty for the way she treated Liz. Alex. She smiled a little. Alex. Defending her. He was the only one who didn’t banish her.

“A study abroad program.”

“When is he coming home?”

“I don’t know.”

“Haven’t you talked to him at all?” Liz already knew the answer. She couldn’t help the feeling. She wanted Maria to feel pain. She had to live with it for so long. Alone. She wanted her friend to suffer as much as she made her suffer.

“No.”

“Well then, see you around.” Liz gave them a small smile. Sooner or later she would be confronted. Sooner or later she knew the whole gang would be out for her. She could deal with them later though. She had a more pressing matter to attend to. Where the hell was Alex?

erinkatie
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by erinkatie »

I hope some questions are answered for you here.

Part 2a: Partial Revelations

She walked passed Michael and Maria, out to the dinning room, past the stares of the breakfast customers and through the doors of the Crashdown. She wasn’t surprised with the sight that greeted her from across the street. She had felt him as she got closer to the road. Max. Walking into the UFO Museum for his shift. She had the connection blocked so he couldn’t feel her but he turned towards her anyways. She didn’t even look at him. She just walked down the street. He followed her. She knew he was behind her. Even without their connection her powers enabled her to feel him. Feel all of them. She stopped abruptly and turned around.

“Max. Can I help you?” The surprise in his eyes, the shock on his face was laughable. She coolly wished she had a camera to capture the faces of her friends.

“I… what… are you… am I drea… um- hi Liz.”

“Max.” she nodded.

“When did… what are you- god, when did you get back?” He was utterly confused. She looked into his eyes. Those amber balls that had caught her attention so many times before, they were the same but different too.

“Last night.”

She kept studying him. Her mind tickled his silently. She explored a little. She found more than she would have expected. Shit. Shit. Shit! Oh this is bad. Oh this is so bad-

“Oh…” he was silent. Liz was concerned. His mind had traces of meddling. “What happened to you?”

“None of yours or anyone’s damn business.” She was colder than she meant and wasn’t surprised when he flinched but her mind was preoccupied with her findings in Max’s head. Shit. Shit, shit! Tess has clearly been mind warping him. Alex is in “Sweden”. Everything is messed up. She needed to talk to Larek, and fast.

“Hey, it’s great to see you. I’ve got things to do. See ya around.” She walked away from him as quickly as she could and if running would not have been so suspicious she would have opted for the latter. Her mind was caught up in a maze of worry, wonder and confusion.

“Hey Liz, it’s good to have you back.” She briefly stopped. Why would he say that? Did he really mean it? She had seen his mind. She knew he did but he was with Tess now. A peculiar feeling tickled her heart, was it anger, regret? Don’t think about that now.

“Whatever.” And she left him standing there. She didn’t have time for Max and the never-ending saga between them. She had to get to the granolith and quickly. Her mind wandered to Alex. Damn it! Where the hell was he?

She now had physical evidence that Tess was an enemy. Her training on Cerio had definitely come in handier than she thought it would. When Larek had informed her that he thought Tess and Nascedo were traitors she wasn’t sure she had believed him. Now there was no doubt.

An hour and half later and a long walk she reached the pod chamber. She knew no one had followed her, though she was surprised Michael was still in Roswell. She figured that he would do anything to watch her. Again she silently thanked Larek and the Healing Chamber as she waved her hand over the rock for her abilities. She placed her on the matching silver print. The rock disappeared and she went into the pod chamber. It was still the same. Though Max had never brought her to the Granolith she knew where it was. The energy from it pulsed and called to her even when she was in Roswell. She slipped through one of the pods into the Granolith room. She settled herself on the floor in front of it. The Granolith could increase her powers tenfold. Larek told her with the power of the Granolith she could astral project across the vast universe.

Liz focused all her energy on Larek. She pictured him pacing back and forth in the conference room like he would while he waited for her to come to terms with the new revelations he would reveal to her on what seemed like a daily basis. She felt that familiar pull she would feel when she had practiced this power. Within six painless seconds she was silently watching Larek doing exactly what she imagined he would be doing.

“I’m not even here physically and you’re still pacing.” She half smiled. Larek quickly turned around. His face full of astonishment just like Max’s, Maria’s and Michaels. She really wished she had a camera now although she doubted she would be able to bring it with her on her astral adventures.

“What? Oh I see…” Liz began walking towards her friend and advisor. “You didn’t think I could do it so soon.” He continued staring at her for a few seconds then revealed to her a hearty smile.

“I was expecting you.”

“Oh really?” She was doubtful and smiled playfully.

“How’s Roswell?”

“Well, you get right to the point, don’t you Larek?”

“Well…?”

Now that she was here, with him, Liz didn’t want to talk about Roswell. What was she to say? That he was right? Even after she defended Tess for some strange reason he was right. If Larek was right then what she and Future Max did was for nothing. Either way Tess wouldn’t help them, she would betray them no matter what they did. It meant she had suffered for nothing.

“You were right. Tess has betrayed us. I saw the King and he had traces of the warp… Alex is missing.” She hesitantly said.

“Missing…?”

“Maria and Michael believe he is in Sweden. But he definitely hasn’t left the state if my powers are to be trusted and the Candy couple aren’t lying either.”

“Maybe this is Ava’s doing? If she is so bold to warp the King then I think Alex’s disappearance may be tied to her as well.”

“Larek, what would Tess want with Alex?”

“I don’t know, but you need to find him. You have to protect them, that’s your j-”

“I know what my job is Larek.”

“I’m sorry Liz… I truly am for how things have worked out.”

“You have nothing to be sorry about. Max chose me, you didn’t.”

“… How… how is it?”

“Honestly? It’s hard. I'm just lying. To them I've been missing for seven months but to me I have been away for over a year. They don't know that time is different on Earth than it is here hell they don't even know I was on a different planet. So I've had to live with the bitterness longer… I saw Maria and I was so mean. I guess I am still angry… with them, with myself.”

“Liz… I know this is going to be difficult. You shouldn't be so hard on them or yourself. I wish I could help you more but you need to find Alex, right now that is the most important thing.”

“I know, I will.”

“If this is Ava’s fault it is more than likely she has been warping him and as you have been taught here that can be fatal. The sooner you find him, the less damage.”

“I’ll find him.”

“Good. Liz, be careful.” Liz took comfort in Larek. He had helped her over come so much, he had saved her; Riverdog, Eddie, Larek, and Serena too. All of them had saved her that day she had walked into the desert. She didn’t want to live anymore. She didn’t want to breath or feel her heart beat because it proved that she could live without Max. That was something she didn’t want to do. She didn’t know where she was going. Tears clouded her eyes, her consciousness, but she kept walking. She kept walking until her legs wouldn’t carry her and she fell into the abyss of heartbreak and parched death. She remembered waking up as Serena stood above her checking her vitals. She didn’t get angry or scared but instead took comfort in Serena. That was the first time in months she felt like she had a friend.

"Don’t worry I will.”

“Bye Liz and tell Serena I miss her. Keep her safe.”

“It will be taken care of.” She gave him a bright smile as she began to end the connection. “Goodbye Larek.”

Liz opened her eyes and caught the glow of the Granolith. She reeled in her powers. The next month was going to be hard work. Finding Alex and outing Tess’s betrayal to the group would prove harder to Liz than she thought it would but at least she had Serena here with her.

erinkatie
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by erinkatie »

Part Three - Michael The Wise

“I was wondering when you’d show up… How’d you know I’d been here?”

“Gut feeling.”

“Hm, with those instincts it’s no wonder why you’re the second in command.”

“What are you doing here?” He sat down next to her.

“Sure you can sit down next to me.”

“Answer the question.”

“No.”

“Where have you been?”

“Nowhere.”

“Liz.”

“Michael.”

“You disappeared off the face of the earth now you’re back, you won’t tell anyone where you were and you are not – well, you’re definitely not the same.”

“I told my parents.”

“What?”

“I told my parents what happened.”

“And…”

“And it’s still none of your business.”

“Jesus Liz we’re your friends. We deserve to know!” He stood up to tower over her but Liz was up on her feet in an instance attempting to stare him up (she was unable to stare him down).

“Oh you’re my friend? Well you all have a pretty fucked up way of showing it.”

“Since when does Elizabeth Parker say fuck?” he asked suspiciously.

“Oh please Michael, don’t tell me you let Maria talk the idea into your head that I’m a shape shifter or that someone has taken over my body because I saw that look in her eye when I was leaving. She doesn’t think I would ever treat her like that, even after how badly she treated me. Is it really easier to believe that I’m an alien than the simple fact that maybe I have changed?”

Michael just looked at her guiltily.

“God for a second in command you sure are easily convinced!”

“What happened?”

“None of your business.”

“I know you didn’t sleep with Kyle.”

“… Excuse me?”

“I said I know you didn’t sleep with Kyle.”

“Yes I did.”

“No you didn’t.”

“Did too.”

“Did not.”

“Michael Guerin I swear to God I had sex with Kyle!”

“Then you are a liar Miss Parker.” Miss Parker eh? She was thoroughly getting pissed off with Michael and his antics.

“What do you want Michael?” He shrugged and sat back down. She had admitted that he was right. He had his answer but what was he trying to prove? Studying his face for a few moments and noting the inner battle that seemed to be going on within him she instantly knew what he wanted to say and honestly she didn’t want to hear it.

“Don’t Michael. Please don’t say anything.”

“I wanted to you know say-”

“Don’t say it.” She knew what was coming and hearing it first from Michael Guerin just made her realize how changed everyone was. Michael saying thank you for something was just too huge to deal with.

“You gave him up because of some des-”

“PLEASE! If I never hear that word again my life would be wonderful!” Michael smiled a little.

“Okay.” They sat there together outside the pod chamber. Liz could not help but feel guilty. Michael was always the one that wanted to find out about where they came from more than anyone. He was oblivious to the fact that all the answers were sitting beside him. She knew more about him than he knew about himself. She felt guilty yet she took a small comfort from him. Michael had been alone and in pain for a long time, even his brother and sister didn’t understand why he did the things he did. That was exactly where Liz was. She hoped that one day she would find the path back to her friends like Michael was doing.

“Michael… how was Alex before he left for Sweden?”

“I don’t know really he sort of avoided us. We had a disagreement one day and he sort of said he wanted out. So we didn’t talk much. He wasn’t around. I mean I don’t go to school often but I never saw him when I was there… Why?”

“Just wondering. I guess I miss him.”

“You want a ride back to the Crash?”

“Um… sure but I’m not answering anymore questions, deal?”

“Yeah, whatever.”

After dinner Liz went down to the Crash to make shakes for her and her parents. She pushed the door open right into a waitress who dropped crate of dishes. The crash was loud and full of the sound of broken dishes.

“Oh god I’m sorry-”

“Next time watch where you’re going!”

“Maria!”

“Liz?”

“Oh God, Maria I’m so, so sorry.” Maria just looked at Liz. She started to say something but instead tears began to line her voluptuous lashes. She started crying.

“I’m sorry. Don’t cry, you know my dad ‘Ria, he won’t care especially if it’s you. You’re like a daughter to him and –” and she just cried harder. Liz didn’t know what to do or say. She just looked at the girl who she has known all her life and for the first in it she didn’t know how to comfort her.

“I haven’t heard you call me ‘Ria in so long, like forever!” She wailed. Liz began to catch on. She wasn’t just crying because of the plates, she was crying because of their deteriorated relationship. Liz stiffened.

“Let’s get this cleaned up-”

“No wait… Liz…”

“What?” She snapped. There it was again. She didn’t want to be mean to Maria. She really didn’t but it was the only way she could communicate right now. She didn’t know what to say, or how to start over. Maria looked like she was going to start crying again.

“I just want to talk to you. I want to say I’m sorry. Please Liz just give me and a tub of ice cream one chance. If it doesn’t work out then fine just let me explain, please Liz, please.” He first thought was to say no, wait, no, scream no! She remember how harsh Maria was when she found out from the entire school Liz had slept with Kyle and not Liz. She had to admit that she would be hurt if the tables were switched. What made it worse was trying to tell Maria that she didn’t sleep with Kyle. She wanted to tell someone what happened with Future Max but Maria was so hurt and angry she just gave her the cold shoulder and wouldn’t believe her. Liz had felt so alone. So lost. She missed Maria but she was afraid to be hurt by Maria again. If Maria couldn’t believe her than who would. She looked at her Maria. Those big pouting lips and long hair then she remembered Michael. How even he looked beyond all of his doubts.

“Okay, you have one chance.”

erinkatie
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Part Four

Post by erinkatie »

Part Four- Let it all out.

She sat in her room waiting for Maria to finish her shift. She was thinking about everything she had been through in these past few months. Everything Larek had told her, her decisions, and her self-created isolation due to those decisions. How would the others take it? How would she even begin to tell them and would they even believe her? She knew Tess wouldn’t. She didn’t want to tell Tess either which meant she wouldn’t be telling them everything in case Tess found out.

She lay back on her bed. The last time she had laid in her bed her dreams were plagued by fantasies about Max and then would be ruined with the end of the world and all her friends blaming her for not being strong enough, even her Max. “My Max!” She bit out harshly, “he’s not mine anymore.” When she was in Cerio the pain dissipated a little. She was so focused on her new powers and training that it was easy to forget about him, or at least use that pain towards her training.

She grabbed her journal that was sitting in front of her. On the last page there was a date but no writing, the date she disappeared. She waved her hand before the date and writing appeared:

It’s been one month since I broke Max Evans heart and mine.
Every day I find myself disappear a little more.
Every time I see Max’s hurt face I break a little more and it’s so dark in here. I wish I had died. I wish I had vanished with Max. Faded away to our wedding song while dancing. That would have been a beautiful way to go and it was, for Max. But he ascended to Heaven and left me here in hell.

Fading away would be easier than living with the knowledge that I broke the only person I’ve ever loved. Every question “What’s wrong Liz? Are you okay?” kills me more. I imagine hitting someone, hitting them until they understand that no, I’m beyond not okay. Kyle kept his promise but it got out anyway. I know who began the rumors. Tess. Kyle told me that Max went to his house to confront him about the “incident” since I wouldn’t speak of it and he saw Tess spying on them. I know he kept his word. Now that Tess knew it was really only a matter of time before everyone else knew too. I hate her but I feel like I shouldn’t because it’s not her fault. It’s her destiny. Destiny, destiny. I hate destiny. I hate you. I hate you Tess and your destiny and I hate mine more. God I loathe it with everything that makes up me, Liz Parker.

I soon realized that not only did I betray Max, but also I betrayed Maria, Alex, Isabel and Michael. We should have thought about them more Max. Maria confronted me about it. She was so hurt, so livid that I didn’t tell her. I just stood there not knowing what to say. I wanted to scream at her that I’m sorry, and tell her that it hurts so bad, that the hole is getting bigger and I’m falling into it. I want her to hold me. To softly brush my hair and tell me that by some miracle everything might just work out. Save me! Please god someone save me! But I just stood there silently. I’m scared I don’t know how to live anymore and more terrified that my will to live has been disappearing with the rest of me. Fading out like the end of a song. Would that song be Romeo and Juliet? At least Romeo died with Juliet. I die alone in this play. But Max, my King Max, I didn’t deny it. I lied right to her face. I think you would be proud of me. I am keeping our secret and it is killing me. Maria won’t talk to me anymore. Isabel was even more furious than her when she confronted me about it in the Crashdown one day and that is the day I gave up.

“Hi, welcome to the Crashdown, how can I help you?” I asked some customer tonelessly. I heard the bell ring but I didn’t look up, I don’t look up at anyone anymore. Isabel came striding up to me and grabbed my arm so I would turn and face her. She was livid.
“How could you Liz?” I knew what she was talking about but I couldn’t find the words. I knew what was coming so I just shrugged my shoulders.
“He is devastated. How, how could you be so heartless?” I didn’t answer her I just stared at her; I don’t know what anyone wants me to do. I wanted to scream at her like I wanted to do to Maria but I couldn’t my mouth was betraying me but stayed so loyal to Max. It has always been loyal to Max and always will. My mouth, my lips are loyal to you Max. I keep the secret.

She was angry that I wouldn’t talk to her and I didn’t even flinch when she slapped me to get my attention. I just kept staring at her, reminding myself that her life was more important than my happiness. After she did it she just looked into my lifeless eyes. A flash of concern crossed her eyes. I was unresponsive. This was the last straw. I broke. I turned around slowly, not noticing that the entire restaurant was looking at me. Maria didn’t even come to my defense. I miss you Maria. I’m so sorry. She doesn’t know me anymore. There is nothing to know. I am empty. I walked out of the Crashdown. That was the last time anyone saw me.

I walked into the desert. I was dying. To tell you the truth I didn’t want to live anymore. I didn’t want to breath or feel my heart beat because it proved that I could live without Max. But I don’t want to. God, do you hear that Max, I can’t live without you. I want to die. I want everything to end so I can be in an eternal dream where we are together forever. Where no one will die because of how much I love you. I’m so selfish but I don’t want to do it without him. So I walked into the desert. I didn’t know where I was going. Tears started to cloud my eyes, my consciousness but I kept walking. I kept walking until my legs wouldn’t carry me and I fell into the abyss of heartbreak and death. Finally.

She stared at the entry. It was out now. All her pain was put into words. She got out of her misery, she had things to do. She was already saved wasn’t she? Now she had a job to do, she was alive, living with her secret, living with everything yet not alive at the same time. She finally accepted her destiny. A destiny that neither her nor Future Max could have ever forseen. But she still could not thank Max. Now she hated him. She hated Future Max and her Future Self. She hated them.

She met Maria half way down the stairs.

“We’ll talk later. We need to call a meeting, a “not of this world” kind.”

Maria nodded.
Last edited by erinkatie on Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erinkatie
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Part Five

Post by erinkatie »

Part Five - Meeting of Old Friends

Liz waited on the couch of the Crashdown while Maria finished calling everyone. Show wondered if she would ever go back to work here, back to school. Was it worth it? Not really, she no longer had a des—future in which Earth was apart of. But she would go to school to be “normal”. She would have a lot to catch up on but the scanning abilities she now had would come in handy. It would also help her keep an eye on everyone.

“Everyone but Tess will be there, she’s MIA. Kyle said she won’t be back until tomorrow probably.”

“Where’d she go?”

“He said he didn’t know.”

Hm, Tess’ gone? Where did she go and why does no one wonder? She would have to definitely look into this. Nothing about that girl was good news.

“I can give you a ride there.”

“No, it’s okay… I’ll walk.”

“Walk?”

“Yeah, it’s something I like to do.”

"Oh, okay."

“See you there soon.”

Liz walked out the back door and into the alleyway. She needed to talk to Serena. She was surprised she hadn’t shown herself yet. She reached out to her.

“Serena?” Nothing for a few minutes. Where is she? She tried to call out with her mind again.

“Serena…?”

“Liz!”

“Serena! Where are you?”

“I’m on my way to Roswell now.”

“Didn’t the portal bring you to Roswell?”

“Yes but then I saw something called a Bus. What do you say when something is interesting? Oh yes, it looked cool. I wanted to ride it but it took me away from Roswell and now I’m on my way back.”

Liz genuinely smiled. Serena’s innocence of Earth was sweet. Serena and Liz had grown close during her stay on Cerio and Serena was an ear and a shoulder Liz would talk and cry to, though she rarely did, Liz still appreciated it. She had even told her about Future Max and that whole fiasco.

“Serena, I’ve called a meeting. To update you, the King has been mind warped, by Tess no doubt. Alex is missing. Everyone thinks he is in Sweden but I know he isn’t. Tess has also gone off somewhere and no one knows where nor thinks it’s suspicious, though it is, it definitely is.”

“Does Alex’s disappearance have anything to do with Ava?”

“I have no proof but Larek seems to think it does.”

“I think I agree with Larek.”

“You would!”

“Now, now Lizzie… what are you going to tell them, the truth, the whole truth?”

“Oh, absolutely not. I can’t afford Tess finding out.”

“They are going to be hurt in the long run.”

“Everybody is Serena.”

“You should tell them.”

“No, it's too dangerous with Tess around. If she is in line with Nicolas then he can get that information from her or them if he wanted to. Now, this is the last time we will talk about this… understood?”

“Ow, you pulled the rank card on me, that’s low.”

“It works. I’m at Michaels I gotta go. Have fun riding the bus!”

“It really is so cool!”

Liz laughed as she closed their connection. She wondered where the bus had taken Serena. There was one point in her life where she had only been to Florida and nowhere else. Now she had done what no human, to her knowledge had ever done, gone to another planet. At times she did not count herself lucky because of this and what she learned but other times she was content.

She braced herself for what was coming and knocked on Michaels door. Maria opened it and she stepped through and looked at her once best friends.

The room was silent, everyone simply stared at her. She walked over to a stool, pulled it close to her and sat on it. She cleared her throat.

“Hey guys.” No one said anything. She suddenly felt like she was a comedian on stage and had just told a joke that was not funny and offense. They all just stared at her.

“How’ve you all been?” Still nothing. The Snapple clock on Michaels wall just ticked loudly through the silence. The Kyle stood up. He walked over to her. He looked into her eyes as if searching for something. After thirty three seconds he must have found it because he picked her up into a huge bear hug.

“I missed you Liz, so much.” He whispered softly into her ear. For the second time today she genuinely smiled. She missed Kyle too. Alex and Kyle. Two friends that did crazy things to help her, those two friends stood by her no matter what. Everyone should take a friendship-training lesson with Alex and Kyle.

“I missed you too.” She said warmly as he put her back down. He put his hand on her head and ruffled her hair. She chuckled. He kissed her forehead and went back to his seat. Liz looked around the room and blushed a little. Everyone had witnessed her intimate moment with Kyle including Max. She looked into his eyes but the hurt that once shone through them accusingly just looked at her with indifference. Good, this will be easy if there are no emotions involved.

“Where have you been?” He asked her in a commanding voice and she laughed out loud. She didn’t mean to but he honestly thought he could throw his King card out at her.

“This isn’t a joke Liz.” He stood up; she sobered up and did the same.

“Your King card doesn’t work on me Maxwell.”

She sounded like Michael and instantly looked over at him. He raised that ever-annoying eyebrow at her in amusement.

“Where have you been Liz?”

“I told you I don’t take orders, Zan, so the second you quit trying to command me then I might give you some answers. Telling me what to do will only piss me off and get you nowhere.” He flinched when she said Zan. This has to be impersonal. It has to be or she’ll never get through it. Be tough. You gotta be tough baby.

“I’m the leader of this group, in case you forgot and you came to us so I call the shots.”

“You aren’t my leader, and you sure as hell aren’t my King. So if you don’t settle yourself down then I’ll just leave.”

“What makes you so sure we’ll let you.” He said coldly. Now it was Liz’s turned to raise an amused eyebrow. She lifted her hand towards him and with a nonchalant wave of it Max was sent across the room on his pretty little bottom. She hoped he got a rug burn.

“I think I’ll leave whenever I want. I think you know that now so stay on that sweet Tess kissing ass of yours and I’ll tell you how I just did that.” A few seconds went by and everyone just stared at her but Kyle jumped up again.

“I knew it! I told you guys! I got my powers too, Liz they just started developing. I figured you would have them also." Kyle paced back and forth. She smiled again.

“I got them while I was on Cerio.” Kyle stopped.

“Where?”

“Cerio. The planet Larek is from, that’s where I was.”

“What?”

“Cerio, it’s a planet and I-”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah… I mean we got that part.” Now Michael was pacing. “How’d you get there Liz?”

“Well that day I… left the Crashdown I walked into the desert. I just kept walking I didn’t stop. I guess eventually I collapsed and passed out. Well actually I was dying you know, dehydration and hunger. Larek said I must have been there for many, many hours if not days before he found me. I was badly sunburned.”

“How did he find you?”

“He sensed me because of my powers. They were beginning to develop.”

“Why didn’t you tell us?”

“We weren’t exactly on speaking terms.” Michael looked at her thoughtfully for a moment.

“And then…?” She liked Michael this way. No bullshit. Just getting the job done. Find out the information as quickly as possible. He had a lot of potential. The rebels of Cerio, Antar and the other three planets really needed a man like him. She looked at him sideways.

“I know Liz, you don’t have to answer and you can answer on your own terms.” She nodded.

“And then he found me with Riverdog and Eddie. How he got me to Cerio, I have no idea. The portal I assume. I guess because I was so weak going through the portal, it hurt me even more. Luckily I was unconscious and didn’t feel a thing. I don’t know what happened Larek wouldn’t really speak of it. I assume I might have died again. I guess I have a habit of doing that.” She smiled a little. It wasn’t a great joke but everyone just stared at her. She thought it best to leave the fact that Serena was there out since she would becoming to town and Liz doubted Serena would like the idea of changing her name.

“What’s a portal?” Liz head shot up in Isabel’s direction. So far she hadn’t said anything but just shot Liz looks as if she was seeing a ghost.

“A portal… it’s kind of hard to explain. A travel portal is a rip in matter I suppose you could say. It creates a sort of black hole between two points but instead of killing you it uses less suction and sucks you from one place to another in about ten seconds.”

“Oh right.” She whispered. “Who can do this… can Kivar create one?”

“No. But someone could create one for him. I don’t think he knows about them yet otherwise he would have hunted down someone who could conjure them and would have come to Earth already. So I assume he doesn’t know or has not found anyone. That in itself would prove a difficult feat.”

“Why?”

“Because only three people can conjure them. One no one even knows about.”

“Who are they?”

“Larek and his daughter. The other person I know not.” What was she to say? Oh the other person that can create a travel portal from one end of the universe to the other is me. She couldn’t risk that in case Tess found out and it would be easy when none of them were blocking their thoughts.

“Oh right. So Larek made the travel portal that sent you back here?”

“Yup.”

“Wow.” Kyle looked at her with a new incredulity. “Does it hurt?” Again she smiled. Just having another person around her who didn’t look at her with pity or pain, besides Serena made her happy. She hadn’t felt like that in a while.

“Sort of. You have to hold your breath because there’s no oxygen in the portal. And it feels like your being stretched a little. When you come out if it your body is really sensitive and so it hurts even when the desert wind rustles against it but it goes away after about a minute or so. You just have to relax because it will go away, even if you think it won’t, the pain will go away eventually.”

And Kyle smiled because he saw his old Liz before she disappeared and before that night, a passionate Liz.

erinkatie
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Part Six

Post by erinkatie »

Update!

She looked over at Max who sat pensively against the wall where her hand had thrown him. She felt so lost without him though with all her being she didn’t want to need him. It was clear to her he no longer needed her like she did him.

“You said no one knew who the third person was who had the ability to create a portal. How do you know that such a person even exists?”

“Word traveled to Larek and he’s certain that his source would not lie about such an important matter.”

“So what've you been doing on Cerio for the past seven months?”

He was being so cold. At first it didn’t matter to her but now, now it was starting to have a smothering effect.

“On Cerio? I trained.”

“Trained?”

“The Healing Chamber. When it healed me it healed everything it thought was wrong with me including the parts of my brain that may have been evolutionarily different than yours. Instead of getting powers my powers like you guys or Kyle, my powers developed in full force, like a full-blooded Antarian or Cerian. I trained to control my powers.”

“So you’re not human anymore?” She had to admit that stung from Maria because Maria sounded so hopeful. Maria really would rather her be a shape shifter or inhuman than believe she would treat her so poorly. Was she really that mean to Maria? She felt sick knowing that someone would think that of her. She was so hurt that she wasn’t sure how to act around anyone couldn’t Maria understand that?

“I… I’m human. I guess I’m just… different now too.”

“What can you do?” She looked at Max confusedly.

“What can I do?”

“You know, what kind of powers do you have?”

“Oh… um I can do everything you can do. Sometimes not as well as you, it depends on the situation and my emotional stability. I have gifts that are unique to me.”

“What are they?” There was his cold voice again. She flinched. The strength she had just a few minutes ago seemed to be weakening rapidly and she didn’t know why.

“Listen it’s getting late I think we should discuss this later.”

“What’re your powers Liz?” She turned to face Max. He was leaning against the wall underneath the massive Snapple clock. Her eyes fell on his and she knew he could feel the connection again. She realized that by being in his presence she must have been slowly unconsciously letting her walls down. She quickly slammed her mind shut and it was clear it caused a physical reaction. He grabbed his head in pain. Again she felt sick that her mind could create such mayhem.

“My powers are mostly those of the mind." She started towards the front door because she felt, for the first time, ashamed of them, yet impulsively she turned back towards him, a reassuring gesture, “I’d never mind warp you though, none of you, ever.”

She left Michael’s apartment and walked back to the closed Café. Twenty minutes later she heard the distinct sounds of a motorcycle, a lock click and quiet footsteps toward her booth.

“Is he mad I threw him?”

“He’ll get over it.”

“What are you doing here?”

“Dunno.”

“Alright.”

“I’m glad you told us the truth about Larek and Cerio…”

“It’s beautiful there.”

“Don’t worry about Max.”

“I don’t.”

“He’s different.”

“We all are.”

“He’s lost. He doesn’t know where he belongs.”

“You’d love it there. I met your family.”

“Maria’s happy your back.”

“You’re most like your Mother. She’s quiet and sort of with drawn, your father's what you would definitely call a firecracker.”

“She missed you while you were gone. She felt guilty.”

“They miss you, they want to see you.”

“You’re her family so you shouldn’t give up on her, no matter what.”

“They’re still waiting for you. They always will. That’s what families do.”

“She’ll wait until you’re ready to be friends again, she understand it’ll take time though.”

“I’ll be ready soon enough.”

“… It’s cool you’re back… goodnight Liz.”

“Night Michael.”

Staring out the windows of the Crashdown she waited for some kind of epiphany about tonight to come. It never did. She rewound the strange conversation she had with Michael. She knew he understood what she was saying but maybe he wasn’t ready for it. He was just beginning to find his place. Now she was telling him he had a family, still alive who still loved and missed him. From now on all she would be was rain to their happy go lucky parade. Knowing she would have to eventually tell them everything that would ruin their happy world of pretend normal. She hated being that person and she wondered if the sickening feeling in her stomach would ever go away. She Liz said goodnight to her parents, lay down on her bed and fell into a restless sleep. Her first night of sleep on planet Earth in seven months. One years and three weeks.
Last edited by erinkatie on Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erinkatie
Enthusiastic Roswellian

New Update... Finally Part 7

Post by erinkatie »

Sorry I'm late and this is short but it's all I can post for tonight, maybe more tomorrow.

Part 7 : Maria Confesses

"Isn’t a little early for ice cream?" Yawning, Liz kicked the covers away from her and sat up against her pillows and headboard.

"Michael said it'd be good to catch you early."

"Oh…"

"I was thinking… I was thinking that maybe we could talk. Well for right now maybe I could talk and you could listen."

"Maria, it's kind of early and - "

"No. Please Liz…."

"…Okay."

Now that she was sitting there on the end of Liz's bed she had no idea where to start. Liz seemed so different to her, she felt uncomfortable with the idea that she didn't really know the girl in front of her. The seven months were long without her and often Michael would take her to the desert where Liz had disappeared so she could talk to her or the air looking for some kind of comfort and forgiveness. She needed to apologize. Not just for the situation with Kyle but for other situations too.

"I'm sorry I was so angry at you for leaving. Not to Cerco or Cerico or whatever it's called but I'm sorry I was mad at you for leaving during the summer. I'm sorry but, but at the same time I don't think my anger was entirely unwarranted."

Liz just seemed to give her a blank stare. Did she remember everything that happened before her galactic adventures, Maria wondered.

"When you went off to Florida because of the whole orby thing about Max and Tess, you didn't just leave Max… you left Alex and, and Liz… you left me."

Still the blank stare.

"I needed a friend Liz. Sometimes you forget, though not intentionally, but sometimes you do, you forget that I'm in love too. Hearing that news about Michael, was devastating. He pushed me so far away because of it and what happened with Pierce. I was hurting too and I needed you. I needed you to help me through it and I needed you help you through it too but you just left, just like that you were gone. Even though we may have talked on the phone sporadically I needed this, you and me talking face to face, crying and hugging and bad mouthing male aliens."

Some emotion crossed Liz's face but she wasn't sure what it was. It felt like this conversation had been a long time coming Maria never imagined it would be so one-sided but Michael had warned that it might be hard to get to her.
"So I felt abandoned, just as Max had but maybe in a worse way. You're my best friend Liz, I don't want to say "were"… but you are, still. Not having that support from you was like… god I don't know exactly what but I didn't want to feel like that again. A few months later, I did. Except this time I played a hand in why you left. I think that's even worse. Knowing that I cause you so much pain, so much so you left…. Maybe now I know how Max felt."

Maria examined the patterns of the blanket below her. Her epiphany clouding her mind for a few seconds. She looked at Liz, more emotion… keep going.

"Then hearing Pam Troy gloat about you and Kyle, I don't even know why she was gloating, prolly 'cause the "perfect Lizzie Parker" fell from her pedestal, except… except you never did fall, did you? You didn't sleep with Kyle. At the time I didn't know it but after the summer thing and our slowly detaching relationship I guess I didn’t know what to think. And when I asked you, you didn't say anything. I was so mad. I just… I lost it.

I just wanted you to be honest with me, to be my best friend and tell me what happened. But you didn't say anything, nothing at all, you just stood there and I guess I should have known that something else was up because you looked absolutely devastated. But I didn't want to see it. I didn't. I just wanted to be angry at you. I didn't want to be there for you anymore because you weren't there when I needed you most.

Always Max, it's always Max. I wanted to be that important to you and if I was, I needed you to show me because I couldn't see it anymore. But you didn't and so neither did I, I didn’t show you how important you are to me when you needed it. God I guess our relationship is like yours and Max's: hurting each other whether it's intentional or not.

I know I was selfish but I'm not ashamed to say that you were too. Maybe not the whole sleeping with Kyle thing… but leaving. This whole "I know an Alien club" has screwed with everything but I'm not mad I'm in it. I just want us to find our way back to each other… and I want it to start today… I'm sorry Liz. So, so, so sorry for not being there when you needed me…"

She took deeps breaths. That was the first time she ever babbled on and made the most sense, but to Maria it didn't matter because she was speaking from the heart even if Liz didn't want to hear it.

erinkatie
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Part 8: Alex Returns

Post by erinkatie »

Okay... I know I said I would update when I didn't but I have been working on a Challenge on RH that has been taking up my Roswell time and was just in NY and so could not post what I have. I have parts written for this though not in chronological order for the story. This part is a wee bit short but I should be adding the next one soon. Enjoy!

And most importantly thanks for reading.

Erin

Two Weeks Later:

If her powers had developed “normally” and at their regular pace, if the past seven and a half months had not happened, Liz would not even think of using her scanning abilities for schoolwork, yet she sat in her half day study hall and did just that. Her parents wanted her to take the last month of school off and restart her Junior year next semester but Liz disagreed and all parties settled for a half day program to help Liz get somewhat caught up though with her new powers her seven months worth of work was finished in a week and half. She did not dare, however, to pass it in all at once so once she finished everything after that week and a half, she sat in her study hall for four boring hours and could not help but feel intellectually confident, alien powers or not.

A knock on the door stole her attention away from the wall she was staring at and boring holes into. Two feminine heads popped through the crack between the door and its frame. Liz deemed them “the pair” because ever since the two had met they were attached at the hip unless they roused suspicion. Maria and Serena: The Fantastic Duo.

“Um, like HELLO Liz, school’s been out for like an hour now, like.”

“Serena, why are you saying like so many times?”

Maria gave Liz a mischievous smile. “Oh, she got into my Sweet Valley High collection while we were at school. Seems like Rena’s got a soft spot for SVH!”

“Oh. Well let’s make sure that doesn’t happen again ok?”

“Like… totally!”

“You know you’re enjoying that way too much.”

“Yup!” Serena smiled. Maria’s Mom was conveniently out of town for two weeks distributing her goods to other shops that would sell them all over the states of New Mexico, California and Texas, which meant Serena was staying with them.

The Fantastic Duo entered the room and sat at the two nearest desks to Liz. Both girls looking like golden goddesses in the early summertime sun that shone through the windows.

“So I found you a date for prom Lizzie!” Maria squeaked excitedly.

Liz groaned as loudly and dramatically as she could.

Alex had returned to school without a care in the world. When Liz sensed he was back in Roswell it was hard for her to stay away. She felt him return the night before she saw him in school. Maria was jabbering on about Michael when she suddenly stopped talking altogether. It took Liz a few seconds to register the fact that for a brief moment the world was silent without Maria’s voice but when she did, she panicked. She had become so used to hearing it since the day Maria gave that long speech about their friendship and Liz had begun to let some of her anger go by forgiving and asking for forgiveness in return.

“Maria… what’s wrong?” Liz looked up at her friend and saw her staring at something behind Liz. It took her a few moments of focus to know what or rather who it was and once she did she placed her books in her locker slowly and began to turn around to prepare for the worst. Instead her eyes lit up; there was Alex looking as though he didn’t have a care in the world, until her saw her. She could have sworn she saw a brief flash of something, some kind of emotion usually foreign to Alex, he looked lost but an instant later it was gone and a bright smile graced his face lighting up the whole hallway. His arms extended, he stopped abruptly in the middle of the hallway causing the people behind him to bump face first into his back but he stood his ground with his big silly grin on his face and waited patiently for Liz to fling herself in his arms.

His happiness was contagious and her own silly grin began to pull at her lips. Would she fling herself in his arms? Did she want to? Of course she did. For the first time since she returned, Liz felt lighter as she ran at a breathtaking speed towards Alex and she did… she flung herself into his arms. Arms that covered her face from the staring crowd, human and alien alike, arms that covered her tears for the loss of her adolescence and her childhood friends, tears for the rekindling of those friendships… and tears for her friend on the brink of a death he did not know of.

Alex held her close to him and hugged her tightly. He looked down the hallway to the other girl who stood awkwardly against a locker watching the exchange with watery eyes and regret. He gave her a smile and a nod; just enough to send her bounding down the hallway towards him and into his arms also. Alex Whitman held his two crying best friends just like he had when they would watch a scary movie during a Saturday night sleepover and wished he could remember where he had been for the last three months.