Finding Closure - Part 6, 9/6/06 (M/M and M/L) [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

Danielledreamer
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Finding Closure - Part 6, 9/6/06 (M/M and M/L) [WIP]

Post by Danielledreamer »

Title: Finding Closure
Author: Danielle M. (behr4danielle2 on FF)
Email: carebehr83@aol.com
Rating: MATURE
Disclaimer: Don’t worry I don’t own any of the characters . . . Roswell belongs to Melinda Metz and Jason Katims, but I can only dream of what I’d do to Max/Jason if I owned him!
Summary: This takes place ten years after Sexual Healing. Therefore, no Tess or any other of the craziness that happened. Maria gets a surprise phone call that takes her for a total loop. Now, her and Liz must go back to Roswell to see the aliens they left behind 8 years ago…
Category: Michael/ Maria Max/ Liz
Authors Note: Some of you may remember me from before, I had written about a dozen fanfics (all M/L) about four years ago. I had a great time writing but once the show was cancelled and I went to college I had stopped. I decided that I wanted to get back into writing again and this is my debut fic! Be kind! I’m also working out getting all my old fics together for viewing.

PART ONE

Ring ring ring…

Maria DeLuca groaned as the sound of the phone woke her from her sleep. Without opening her eyes, she reached for her phone, bringing it to her ear.

“Hello?”

“Maria! Good Morning!”

“Who is this?” She pushed up her eye mask glancing at the clock. “It’s 9:00 on a Saturday morning!”

The voice laughed, “Oh Maria, it’s Isabel!”

Maria rolled her eyes, if it was 9:00 in New York, it had to be 7:00 in Roswell. How could one be so chipper that early?

“So I’m sure you heard the wedding news.”

“No, what news?”

“That Michael and I are getting married of course!”

Maria shot up in her bed. “Wait, what!!!”

“Don’t you read my weekly email newsletters?”

Maria cursed herself for always deleting them. “I- I must have missed this one.” She didn’t know what to think, it felt like Isabel had literally punched her in the stomach.

“Well. I want you to be one of my bridesmaids. I just called Liz and she said she would.”

Maria felt her chest tighten and it was becoming a struggled to breathe.

“Maria? You there?” Isabel asked.

Maria nodded.

“Maria?”

”I mean yeah.”

“As in you’ll do it?”

”Mm-hmm”

“Great, I’ll email you with all the details! Well got to go, there’s still so much to be done!”

Maria set down the phone and ran straight to the bathroom, throwing up. She leaned over the toilet gasping for air. She couldn’t believe it. Isabel was marrying Michael. Her Michael. Her first love who broke her heart Michael.

She reached into her cabinet for her emergency stash of cigarettes. She’d quit years ago but she needed the quick relief now. She lit up and breathed in. Much better.

She went to get her phone and dialed Liz’s number.

“Maria!” Liz said, knowing immediately it’d be her friend.

“How could this happen?” Maria asked, taking another drag from her cigarette.

Liz sighed. “I don’t know. How are you handling this?”

“Blah.” She crushed her cigarette in a cup and reached for another one. “I mean it’s been eight years. I had moved on. So why is this so hard to take?”

“Because maybe a part of you never really got over him. I mean the way he broke up with you after high school…”

Maria nodded. She still remembered it so clearly. He did it at the Crashdown Café. She went back to take her break with him and he then told her point blank that they were through. He said it was fun while it lasted but he was meant to be alone. Women caused drama and he didn’t need that. He had to be strong for whatever else would come at him in life.
“I guess he decided women are necessary.”

“Yeah, but I don’t get it.” Liz said, “I mean Isabel and Michael were more like brother and sister.”

“I know.” Maria blew a stream of smoke into the air. “I can’t believe I agreed to this.”

“You can do it Maria. It’ll mean a lot to Isabel.”

”But that’s another thing,” Maria said, pacing in her room, “Don’t you think she’d know that this would be weird for me?”

”I think she figured it was a long time ago.”

“Yeah.” And because Isabel’s self-absorbed Maria thought. She ran a hand through her long blonde hair. “Oh my god, I didn’t ask how you were doing with all of this! I mean you haven’t seen Max in so long…” She knew that Liz still had difficulty moving on from him.

“I’m okay. I’m just not going to stress. I’m taking it day by day.” The heartache was still present when she thought of Max. They had remained a couple til their freshman year of college. Liz had gone to Harvard and Max stayed home, going to Las Cruz’s University. The long distance was hard, but they were making it work. During their second semester, Max, Michael and Isabel were attacked by another group of aliens, the Skins. The trio came out victorious in the end, but it freaked Max out. He didn’t want Liz’s life in danger and he broke it off. It was hard on them both.

“This is really happening, isn’t it?” Maria asked, staring up at the ceiling.

“It is and you’re going to get through this.”

Maria prayed her friend was right.

After hanging up the phone with Liz she went back over to her bed and laid down. Her mind was still racing. In the last eight years she had managed to avoid any contact with Michael. And now she was going to his wedding! Life really does throw you for a loop. She pulled the sheets up over her head. Her business partner, Jay, could run the shop today.

Maria owned an astrology and aromatherapy shop in Soho. She had a small rent control apartment in the west village and she loved it. She dated casually, but her relationships never seemed to become serious. She wondered if seeing Michael was what she needed, like a final sense of closure. Then she could finally get on with her life. She hoped this was true.

TBC…
Last edited by Danielledreamer on Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:21 am, edited 9 times in total.
"And some people, refuse to settle for anything less than butterflies..." Carrie Bradshaw

Check out all my fanfiction!
Danielledreamer
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Part two!

Author's Note: Thank you for the feedback! Always appreciated! I'm not as crazy about this part as I'd like to be but I had to get it out of the way for the really good stuff to come! I know you guys are hating the idea of Michael and Isabel together, but someone might have something up their sleeve... Enjoy!

PART TWO

Liz and Maria were in their rental car headed down the familiar main street of Roswell. They had arrived the night before and now they were headed to Isabel’s to see her and Michael.

Liz glanced over at Maria, she watched as she took in deep breaths, her eyes shut tight. Liz frowned and stopped at the light.

“Maria, it’s going to be fine.”

“I think I’m hyperventilating!” She screamed frantically as she rolled down the windows.

Liz sighed and pulled the car over. “Maria, you have to listen to me. It is not going to be that bad. And I know you, if you don’t go and see him now you’re going to be kicking yourself and feel like a coward.”

Maria nodded. “You’re right.” She reached into her purse for her pack of cigarettes. “You’re always right.” She put the cigarette between her lips and searched for a lighter.

“I thought you quit!”

”I did.” Her lighter flickered and she brought it to her cig and inhaled. “But can you blame me now?”

Liz grimaced. “I guess not.” She pulled the car back out onto the road. “After today if you decide that you still can’t do this then we’ll leave okay?”

“Okay.”

Isabel glanced at her watch. “They should be here any minute!”

Michael glanced up from the television. “Wait who?”

Isabel sighed. “Remember why I asked you to come here? Liz and Maria are coming!”

Michael bolted up from the couch, dashing up the stairs.

He splashed some water from the sink on his face and glanced up at the mirror. Maria was coming, here, to see him… him and his fiancé.

There was still a part of Michael that never gotten over Maria and now it was coming back in full force.

He sighed and grabbed a towel, patting his face dry. He went downstairs and watched as Isabel and her mother set some food and plates on the coffee table, having no clue as to what to think.

Liz pulled the car into the driveway and stared at the home. It had been over seven years since she had been here last! She bit her lower lip, trying not to think of the painful memories of Max Evan’s breaking her heart. She looked over at Maria, “ready?”

Maria shrugged. “Sure.”

A moment after knocking on the door it flew open and Isabel instantly greeted the girls in a hug. “Oh it is so good to see you both!” She pulled back from the hug. “Isn’t this exciting? All of us together again! And I’m getting married in three days!” She started jumping up and down.

Maria rolled her eyes and Liz laughed as they entered the house.

Diane Evans went over to the two girls first. “Liz honey, it is so good to see you!” She enveloped her in a hug. “And Maria, you look wonderful!”

Maria faked a smile and thanked her. She glanced over at the couch where Michael was standing awkwardly. He looked great. Damn it! She was secretly hoping a huge gouder had formed on the side of his face.

“Hi Micheal.”

He gave her a nod. “Hey.” His hands jammed into his pants pockets. She was gorgeous, more so than he had ever remembered. Her blonde hair was long and shiny and she looked great in a pair of tight jeans and a dangerously low cut button down blouse.

“Michael, be a dear and go get some drinks will you?” Mrs. Evans asked, clearing his thoughts.

“Yeah sure.” He escaped quickly to the kitchen.

Maria exhaled deeply. She didn’t even realize she had been holding her breath.

Liz had been watching Michael and Maria’s interaction. She saw the way Michael looked at Maria and it was definitely not the way an engaged man should look at woman. She sighed, she really didn’t understand why Michael wanted to marry Isabel.

He watched her from the top of the staircase. Her brown hair was shorter now and layers framed her face. It hardly looked like she had aged at all. She still managed to take his breath away. He kicked himself for ever abandoning her.

“Max! What are you doing up there! Come down!” Mrs. Evan’s yelled.

Max's face turned a shade of red and he headed down the stairs.

Liz looked up and was memorized. He was wearing a green button shirt with a pair of khakis. His hair was a bit longer, curling some at the sides of his face. He hadn’t shaved in a couple of days and looked sexy as hell.

They walked toward each other and before Liz knew it she was placing a kiss on his cheek and hugging him. Liz wanted to cry at the feeling of having his strong arms wrapped around her again.

Max could help but smile as he breathed in her familiar scent and pulled her closer to him. Every night he had dreamed of this moment.

Liz was the first to pull away. Be strong she told herself. “It’s good to see you Max.” She turned and took a drink from Michael.

They all sat down and there was a moment of silence.

“So, um, Isabel, how is your boutique doing?” Liz asked.

“Oh it’s just fabulous!” Isabel beamed. “You and Maria must stop by, you’ll adore it!”

“I’m sure we will.” Liz glanced shyly over at Max and saw he was staring at her. He blushed and looked away. “Well you know Maria owns a shop too.”

”Oh that’s right! What kind is it again? Candles?” Isabel asked.

“Um, not really. I mean we do sell them but it’s more of an aromatherapy and astrology shop.” Maria said.

“I knew it was something of that sort.” Isabel said with a wave of her hand. “And Michael’s doing great teaching art at West Roswell High.”

Maria smiled at him. She liked the idea of Michael working with teens.

“How’s your teaching in Boston Liz?” Max asked.

Liz looked at him a little caught off guard. She didn’t even realized he knew she did that for a living. “It’s really good actually. Um, what is it that you do?”

“I’m in San Francisco, doing architecture.”

“Wow.” Liz said, impressed. “That’s great!”

Max nodded. His work was now his life. This was actually one of the first vacations he had taken in years. Besides Christmas, Max rarely ever came to Roswell. There were too many bad memories. He let his job consumed him. If he was busy, it kept his mind off of other things.

Isabel glanced at her watch. “Michael, we have to get going. Our meeting with the caterers is in a half hour!” She picked up her planner which was jammed pack.

Michael nodded standing up avoiding contact with anyone.

“Why don’t we meet up for dinner?” Isabel asked. “Around 7pm?”

The girls nodded and Isabel whisked Michael away.

Liz and Maria exited the Evan’s home a moment later. Liz squeezed Maria’s shoulder. “How are you holding up? You hardly said a word in there.”

“I’m okay.” Maria sighed. “I just don’t understand Isabel, is she really that self absorbed?”

Liz shrugged. “Maybe you’d feel better if you just asked her why she chose you as a bridesmaid.”

Maria nodded. “I think I will. And Jesus! Why did Michael have to look so good!”

Liz giggled as they got into the car.

TBC

Stay tuned… more questions will be answered in the next part!
"And some people, refuse to settle for anything less than butterflies..." Carrie Bradshaw

Danielledreamer
Enthusiastic Roswellian

part 3

PART THREE

Liz walked into the restaurant where everyone was meeting and checked in with the host. She was the first to check in. Nothing new there.

Max smiled as he saw Liz was the only one standing there. “Hi Liz.”

She turned around and smiled softly. “Hey Max. Looks like we’re the only punctual ones.” She felt her chest start to tighten, he had shaved and looked great in a light green polo and tan trousers.

Max laughed. “Guess so.” She looked amazing in a light pink summer dress that showed off the smooth skin of her shoulders and her hair was so shiny, just begging for his touch.

They stood in awkwardly together until Liz spoke up. “So I hear San Francisco is beautiful.”

Max smiled. “It really is. I have an apartment right by the bay and the view is amazing.”

“Well, it sounds lovely.”

Max nodded. “I’d to show you around some time.”

Liz frowned. “I don’t think that is such a good idea Max.”

“Yeah…” He looked down at the ground and nodded. “Liz, I…”

”Liz!”

Liz spun around. “Alex!” She laughed as he hugged her hard.

Max sulked back watching the two interact.

“It’s so great to see you Alex!” Liz grinned.

Alex nodded. “You look amazing!”

Liz shrugged. “I guess. So how do you feel about this whole situation. I mean with Isabel and …”

“It’s fine. It was a long time ago, I was the geek in love with the beauty queen. Besides, I’m seeing someone. Her name’s Cynthia, she’s driving in tomorrow.” He grinned.

Maria slammed the door shut to the car and looked at the restaurant. She saw Isabel and Michael, hand in hand, walking toward it. She hurried up to them.

“Hey guys!”

They turned and Isabel smiled. Michael nodded awkwardly.

“Um, Isabel can I talk to you for a moment?” Maria asked.

Isabel let go of Michael’s hand. “I’ll meet you inside.” She watched Michael go in and turned back to Maria. “What’s up?”

Maria let out a deep breath. She hated how she was still intimated by Isabel at times. “Look, I need to ask you something and I won’t be able to rest til I do.”

Isabel looked at her concerned. ”What is it?”

“Why did you ask me to be one of your bridesmaids?”

Isabel’s eyes widened a bit. She was hoping Maria wouldn’t have brought this up. “I-I don’t understand.”

“Don’t you think this a little weird for me? Having dated Michael and all?”

Isabel sighed. “You don’t still have feelings for him do you?”

“Of course not.” Maria lied.

“Well that’s what I thought. I mean you and Michael have been over a long time now. And I know we haven’t done the best job of keeping in touch, but it was important to me to have you and Liz here. You know our secret. The six of us used to have such a bond and I wanted the people I could trust in life here with me.” Isabel hoped that explanation would suffice. The truth was she was settling with Michael. She knew it and she didn’t care. All her life she dreamed of a normal life complete with a wedding day. She had tried dating, numerous times, but no guy was ever worthy of knowing her secret. She became frustrated and turned to Michael. He was the only stable man in her life, the only one that knew her better than anyone else. So it made sense to be with him, to marry him.

Maria nodded. That explanation would have to do. She wouldn’t pry Isabel anymore about it.

Soon after they were all seated Alex was cracking everyone up with his crazy stories of being a psychiatrist in Sante Fe.

“So Michael,” Alex asked, “how did this whole engagement begin?”

Michael glanced at Maria. “It wasn’t really a big thing.” He mumbled into his drink.

Isabel squeezed his shoulder. “It so was! Tell them how you proposed!”

Michael raked a hand through his hair. “Ok, well, we drove to the pod chamber. I took her in front of the pods and told her that this is where we were born together and now was where I wanted to make sure we’d always stay together.” Michael shrugged. “Then I did the whole get down on one knee thing.”

Isabel grinned. “Perfect right?”

Maria swallowed hard, that was definitely something she never wanted to hear again. She excused herself and went to the restroom.

Liz bit her bottom lip and watched as Maria walked away.

Maria wiped away her tears and looked in the mirror. “God, pull yourself together DeLuca.” Since she was stuck in this situation she decided to start making the best of it. She could at least offer Michael her friendship and pretend to be happy for him.

She returned to the table and listened as Isabel rambled on about the wedding. After dinner, they agreed to meet at the church for rehearsal the next day.

Isabel was sitting on her bed reviewing her planner for tomorrow. “Michael, you coming to bed?”

“Yeah, just a second!” Michael yelled from the bathroom. Seeing Maria today had brought out so many emotions in him that he had forget he even had. He loved Isabel, and he truly meant that. He did want to marry her. She knew him well and would always be there for him. They would have a happy life. It made sense. He had to get these new thoughts about Maria out of his head.

He turned off the bathroom light and looked at Isabel perched up on the bed. Doubts circled in his mind. Was this truly right for him?

Liz entered her room and changed out of her dress into a pair of sweatpants and a tank top. Much better. Just then she heard a knock at the window. She glanced over to see Max crouched down. She couldn’t help but reminisce about all the times he’d come to her window in high school. She walked over to him and opened the window.

“What are you doing here Max?”

“I had to see you. I haven’t been able to stop thinking about you all day.” He started to enter her room but she stopped him.

“I’ll come outside.” She crawled out the window and he took her hand to help her up. She let go of it quickly. Be strong Liz.

Max stared at her. “I’ve missed you so much Liz. These past seven years have been like hell for me.”

“Well it hasn’t exactly been a walk in the park for me either Max.” She folded her arms over her chest. “But this was your decision.”

“I know that.” He sat down, looking up at her. “And it pained me to do it. I just wanted you to be safe, to have a normal life.”

“We were the ones who asked what’s so great about normal.” Liz said. “Don’t you think I could have made that decision myself? I’m a big girl Max and I knew the risk of being involved with you. I didn’t care.”

Max nodded, not knowing what else to say.

“And besides Max, since the incident with the Skins, has there been anymore of unsafe incidents?”

Max sighed. “Nothing really, I mean a few things here and there.”

Liz nodded. “You should’ve trusted me Max.”

”I know.” His hands rubbed his face. “I’ve thought about contacting you, so many times. I even went to Boston once.”

Liz sat down next to him. “You did?”

“Yeah, I saw you in Cambridge, laughing and talking with some guy you had your arm linked with. I realized you had moved on.”

Liz looked down at her lap. “I’ve never moved on Max. No matter how hard I tried, no one else could ever compare to you.”

“Liz I am so sorry.”

She looked up into his eyes and knew that he was.

Max sighed. “So where does that leave us now?”

“We’ll see Max.” She took his hand, lacing her fingers with his.

Max smiled. He was content with taking it slow and seeing where it would lead. At least for now he was.

TBC

Danielledreamer
Enthusiastic Roswellian

part 4

Authors Note: Just a little reminder, this keeps going after Sexual Healing, therefore, Kyle and the sheriff have no idea of Max, Michael and Isabel’s otherworldly status. Sorry this part is a little short, I had to end it there so the next part would flow better.

PART FOUR

Maria entered the church for the rehearsal and sighed. “Day two Deluca.” She whispered to herself. She was actually surprised and proud of herself for making it this far. She kept reminding herself that this was more of a closure for her and Michael. It didn’t matter that it wasn’t the type of closure she wanted.

She saw Liz with Max near the altar and headed toward them. She couldn’t help but smile as she watched the two of them interact. Both of them had sparkles in their eyes and were all smiles.

Isabel saw Maria approach and called out her name. “Finally! Now we can start!”

Isabel went over the very detailed plan of how the wedding would play out. Max would be walking up with Isabel’s maid of honor, her college roommate Trish, Liz with Alex, Maria with Kyle Valenti and Isabel’s two other cousins would be walking up together.

Maria walked over to Kyle. “So you’re one of Michael’s groomsmen?”

Kyle was now a deputy with the Roswell police force. He nodded. “That’s right.”

”I didn’t know you were even friends.”

”Oh definitely, he’s my bowling partner every Sunday night.” He replied while clearly checking Maria out. “So I got to say Deluca, you’re looking great these days.”

She frowned at his gaze, she felt like slapping him until she saw Michael looking over out of the corner of her eye. She smiled and placed a hand on Kyle’s arm. “You’re too sweet, you look great yourself.”

More rehearsal torture for Maria endured over the next hour. As soon as they finished up she hurried out to the church parking lot, reaching for a cigarette. She lit up her little savior and breathed a sigh of relief. She would quit after tomorrow she reminded herself.

“You know smoking can kill you right?”

Maria looked up to see Michael headed her way. She looked at him startled. They hadn’t talked alone since this whole thing started. “Yeah well so do car crashes, but you don’t see people not driving do you?” She answered back sarcastically.

Michael laughed. “I guess you’re right.” He had seen her exit the church and had a sudden urge to talk to her. “You got another one?”

She nodded, a little caught off guard as she reached in her purse and handed him a cigarette. She watched as he lit it with a wave of his hand and inhaled.

They stood in silence until Maria finally spoke up. “So I think that it’s great that you’re teaching at West Roswell.”

He shrugged. “Most of the students are brats anyway.”

Maria looked at him surprised.

He laughed. “I don’t care. Hell I know I was in high school.” He sighed. “It’s just tough when you’re so passionate about a subject and someone doesn’t feel the way about it you know?”

Maria nodded. “I know exactly what you mean.” It was just like the situation she was in now. “So what do you really want to do?”

He shook his head and took another hit from his cigarette. “I don’t know, I mean I went to college after high school and God knows I wouldn’t have made it out if it wasn’t for Isabel-” He paused at the mention of her name. “Um, anyway I’ve been doing a lot of my own paintings on the side and I’d really love to start traveling and begin getting some of my pieces sold.”

“Wow, that’s really great Michael.” Maria said honestly. “You should really look into that.”

Michael shrugged. “I don’t know. I mean my life is stable here. I might not even be that good, what if I try it and it doesn’t work out?”

“Then you come back home Michael.” She pushed her hair behind her ear. “Look all I know is that you only live once. And you were sent down here, for some crazy reason that you may never know, and don’t you want to make it as worthwhile as you can? Life is what you make it, if you believe you’ll succeed then you will.”

He smiled. She was right. She always was. He had forgotten that she could motivate him in a way no one else could. “Listen, Maria I-”

“Michael!” Isabel called out, approaching him. “You ran out before we could thank the pastor. And oh my god are you smoking?”

Michael laughed. “Calm down Iz.” He shrugged and waved goodbye to Maria as Isabel tugged him away.

Maria sat on Liz’s bed and watched her get ready. The rehearsal dinner was being held at the Crashdown and then afterwards would be the bachelor and bachelorette parties. Liz was changing into a simple black dress while Maria was already decked out in a short strapless gold dress, her long blonde hair down and wavy.

“You’re doing so well, I’m really proud of you.” Liz said, looking at Maria through the mirror.

“Thanks. So what was up with you and Max today? You both seemed cheery.”

Liz smiled. “Yeah, Max stopped by last night. And well, I think we’re going to try to start something again.”

“Wow really? Why did you not tell me this sooner?” Maria exclaimed.

Liz shrugged. “With everything that’s going on, I just didn’t really want to get into the possibility of Max and me getting back together.”

Maria nodded. “Yeah… so did he kiss you?”

“Maria!” Liz blushed. “I told you I’m taking it slow.”

Maria dissed that notion with a wave of her hand. “We’ll see.”

A small smile spread on Liz’s face. “You ready to go down?”

“Well that depends…how do I look?” Maria stood up.

“What can I say, you’re hot!” Liz grinned.

“Good, enough to make him jealous?”

Liz smiled uneasy and nodded.

TBC

Danielledreamer
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Part 5

Sorry this part took so long! I worked really hard on it so let me know what you think! :)

PART FIVE

Maria downed her second Long Island iced tea and waved the waitress over for another. She couldn’t stand all the cheeriness in the room, if she heard one more toast she’d probably hurl.

“Don’t you think you’ve had enough?” Liz asked concerned, Maria had hardly eaten her dinner and she knew what a lightweight she was when it came to alcohol.

Maria rolled her eyes. “I think I can handle it.”

Liz took the glass from Maria and set it down on the table. “You’re being irresponsible.”

Maria laughed, already feeling a buzz from her two drinks. “I had forgotten what a saint you are.”

Liz shook her head and looked over at Max across the table. “Let’s dance. Do what you want Maria.”

Max saw the strain between the two women, but figured it was best not to say anything.

“What was that all about?” He asked, once they were on the other side of the room.

Liz shrugged. “It’s nothing. She’s just been stressed; you know how weddings have weird effects on people.”

Max nodded, and then changed the subject. “Liz, I’ve been having such a great time with you.”

“Me too.” She smiled up at him, her hands locking around his neck as they moved to the song.

“And I know I said this before, but I really am sorry, for ever hurting you Liz.” He placed a strand of her hair behind her ear. “I don’t know what I was thinking.”

She nodded. “I know.”

He looked down into her eyes, then glancing down to her slightly parted lips. “Liz… I know we agreed to take things slow… and I’ve been trying really hard… but I have to kiss you…”

Liz gazed into his eyes, smiling slightly and it was all the permission he needed. He bent his head down, gently capturing her lips with his own.

Liz’s head was spinning. She remembered Max’s kisses were like no other, but this was amazing. It felt like no time had ever past between them. She was back in high school, kissing her boyfriend. She was lost in the moment until the flashes rushed before her. She saw Max’s loneliness over the years. She watched as he buried himself in his work to avoid any thoughts of her or the life he had left behind. She could feel the isolation he felt and she pulled him closer, giving more of herself to him to ease the ache she was feeling.

That’s when Max saw things too. He saw the day he had left her and felt the pain she experienced. He watched as she tried to be strong and move on with her life. He had broken up with her to give her a life he thought she deserved; instead, all he had done was make it miserable.

Max pulled away and watched as a tear slipped down Liz’s cheek. He pulled her to him, wrapping his arms tight around her, both of them surging with emotions.

“It’s okay. I'm not leaving.”

Maria was handed a bottle of Cabernet and took it graciously. It was a gift for the bridal party and she turned it around to look at the label, she rolled her eyes at the photo of Michael and Isabel imprinted on it.

“Classy, huh?” Maria glanced up as Kyle took a seat next to her.

She smiled. “Oh yeah. You got an army knife on ya?”

He reached into his pocket, handing it to her. She lifted up the corkscrew, placing it into the bottle and with ease pulling out the cork.

“Here’s to the lovely bride and groom!” She said, raising the bottle in the air. She brought it back down, taking a swig from the bottle.

Kyle laughed, reaching for the bottle doing the same thing. “Man are those Evans fierce.”

“What do you mean?” She took the bottle back from him.

“Look at them.” He pointed to Max dancing with Liz and then to Isabel with Michael.

Maria took another mouthful from the wine and grabbed his hand. “Dance with me.”

Michael glanced up and watched as Maria danced dangerously close with Kyle. He silently swore to himself. She was taunting him, he was sure of it. And it was working.

He never wanted her more.

“Hello? Earth to Michael?”

Michael shook his head and looked at Isabel. “Yeah?”

Isabel frowned. “What has been up with you lately? You’re always out of it!”

“Sorry.” Michael sighed and glanced back over to Maria. She wasn’t there anymore. He looked around frantically and saw her whisking Kyle away to the back room.

Maria pushed Kyle against the wall and kissed him hard. Her body was humming with emotions and she poured into the kiss. She thought of the pain and jealousy she felt every time she saw Michael with Isabel.

“God, Maria…”

The sound of Kyle’s voice brought her back to reality. This wasn’t making her feel better at all. She pushed him away. Michael did not want her. Why couldn’t she accept it?

“Look Maria, I’m sorry about earlier.” Liz said after they were situated at the maid of honor’s apartment for Isabel’s bachelorette party.

Maria shrugged, her head still buzzing from the alcohol. “Whatever, I’m over it.” She reached over for one of the margaritas on the coffee table. Before Liz could say anything, she glared at her. “I can handle it.”

Liz sighed; she hated seeing her friend like this.

A moment later there was a knock at the door and the girls had Isabel answer it.

“Hello, Isabel Evans?” A man in a postal uniform asked. “It seems I have a package for you.” He pressed play on his boom box and in the next moment his shirt was off. The room fell into shrieks.

Maria sipped at her second margarita. This was so lame. She downed the rest of her drink and went over to Liz. “I’m leaving.”

Liz frowned. “Where are you going?”

”I have to see him.”

Liz sighed, pulling Maria off to the side. “And what exactly are you going to say?”

“I don’t know, I will when I get there, I can walk.”

“God Maria! He’s getting married tomorrow!”

“I know and I can’t let him until he knows how I feel!”

Liz shook her head. “No. Maria, I can’t let you. I’m sorry that he didn’t choose you, he’s marrying Isabel.”

“No.” Maria said, taking a step back. “I won’t believe that. Maybe if you weren’t so caught up in your petty reunion with Max you’d see that!”

“Don’t bring that into this! It has nothing to do with it and you know it. Maria, you’re drunk and you’re not thinking clearly.”

“That’s where you’re wrong.” She grabbed her purse and walked out.

Michael stared up at the women at the strip club he was taken to. They did nothing for him. He couldn’t get his mind off of Maria. Why did she leave with Kyle? What did she see in him anyway?

At that moment Kyle walked in and over to the stage. Michael fumed and walked over to him.

“Stay away from her!” He yelled, pointing his finger at Kyle.

Kyle looked up at the stripper and then back to Michael. “What are you talking about man? I’m just looking!” He took a swig of his beer.

“Not her you asshole, Maria!”

Kyle grinned. “What’s it to you anyway? Obviously she decided to settle for a real man.” He slurred.

“That’s it!” Michael swung for Kyle’s jaw and knocked him against the stage.

Kyle touched his mouth and saw the blood on his fingers. “Oh no you didn’t Guerin!” He lunged for him, his fist connecting to Michael’s face. Michael fell to the ground, quickly getting up and the two started going at it.

Max and Alex ran over to them and pulled them apart.

“Calm down Michael.” Max said as he held Michael away from Kyle.

“You better stay away from her now!” Michael shouted.

“It’ll be hard when she can’t resist me!”

Michael gritted his teeth and struggled to get out of Max’s grip when the owner came over.

“I can’t have this in here. Take it outside gentlemen.”

Michael shrugged off Max. “I’m outta here.”

Max followed him out to the parking lot. “What the hell was that?”

“Kyle was all over her tonight!”

“Who?”

“Maria!” Michael looked down at the ground, swearing.

Max sighed, he was afraid of this. “Michael, Maria’s a big girl, with her own life. You don’t have to look after her.”

“I had to! You know how Kyle can be!” He threw his arms up in frustration.

“You still have feelings for her, don’t you?”

Michael didn’t answer.

“Jesus Michael! You’re getting married to my sister tomorrow!”

“Don’t you think I know that?” Michael yelled. “God, I don’t know what to do!”

Max shook his head. “Well you better figure it out. And fast.”

Michael sighed in aggravation. “Will you at least fix this?” He pointed to his bloody nose.

Max laughed amazed he still had the nerve to ask him that. “Later Michael.”

Max stood outside his car and waited for Liz to come out of the apartment building. He didn’t know what to do. He didn’t want Michael to marry Isabel if he was thinking of another woman. But he didn’t want to see Isabel hurt either. He knew how important this was to her. He was secretly hoping Michael was just having a bad case of cold feet.

He saw Liz approach the car and he felt some of his worries start to fade. She smiled up at him and he kissed her. Liz wrapped her arms around him as he drank her in. He couldn’t seem to get enough. He finally pulled away and opened the car door for her.

“So how was the club?” Liz asked as Max started the car. She didn’t particularly like the idea of him at a strip joint.

Max sighed. “Well…” He proceeded to relay the events that went on earlier in the evening.

Liz frowned after hearing the story. “I think Maria’s on her way to see him.”

”What!” Max glanced over at her.

“She was drunk, I couldn’t stop her.”

Max ran a hand through his hair. “I can’t stop Michael from this. He has to fix it himself, I just hope that it turns out alright in the end.” He pulled his car into the alley behind the Crashdown.

“So now what Max?”

“There’s nothing we can do. We just wait.”

Liz nodded and couldn’t stop the grin that spread on her face.

Michael unlocked the door to his apartment and went straight for the kitchen. He grabbed a rag and some ice and placed it over his nose. He winced and readjusted it. He walked over to the living and then glanced up, dropping the ice all over the floor.

TBC
Last edited by Danielledreamer on Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danielledreamer
Enthusiastic Roswellian

part 6

PART SIX

Michael unlocked the door to his apartment and went straight for the kitchen. He grabbed a rag and some ice and placed it over his nose. He winced and readjusted it. He walked over to the living and then dropped the ice all over the floor.

“Oh my God!” Michael stared at her in shock. She sat up from the couch and walked toward him. “M-Maria,” he stammered, “wh-what are you doing here?”

“I had to see you.” She approached him, staring at his face. “Oh my God, you’re bleeding.” She placed her hand on his face.

He took her hand, taking it away from his face. “I’m fine.”

“No, you’re not. Let me help you.”

He winced at the smell of alcohol on her breath. “No. You’re drunk Maria.”

“So?” She leaned up into him and he took a step back, he knew this was a bad idea.

“Let’s get you some water.”

“I don’t want water.” She took another step forward and Michael backed into the wall. “I want you.” She whispered in his ear, kissing it lightly.

Michael groaned as he felt her lips move against his. The kiss quickly turned passionate, fierce. He grabbed her arms and turned her so she was flush up against the wall and his raging body. His mouth tore from hers and moved down her neck. He hadn’t felt this way in years! He felt her hands unbuttoning his shirt and it fell past his shoulders. At that point he knew it was all over.

Before Maria even opened her eyes she felt the throbbing in her head. She groaned and reached around for her pillow. It wasn’t there. She opened her eyes to slits and gazed at Michael’s sleeping form. She smiled and then reality hit her. She wasn’t 17 anymore waking up to her high school boyfriend. She was 26 and this boy was getting married to someone else today. She swore to herself as she stumbled out of bed, quickly dressing and rushing out of the room.

Maria tore up the back stairs of the Crashdown into the Parkers apartment and barged herself into Liz’s room.

“Liz I – Oh my God!” Maria placed a hand over her mouth.

Liz shrieked pulling up the covers, from where Max emerged, his face a bright shade of red.

“Maria, um what, uh…” Liz ran a hand through her hair, “what’s up?”

Maria held up her hands. “I am so sorry! I just really have to talk to you!”

Liz nodded. “Yeah, just um, give me a sec and I’ll meet you downstairs.

Maria nodded eagerly and headed back to the Crashdown’s backroom. She was pacing rapidly until Liz came down.

“Maria, what is it?” Liz asked, tightening the belt on her robe.

“I slept with Michael.”

Liz’s face dropped.

“Liz I don’t know what to say, I was so trashed and I went to his place and he was just there and I couldn’t stop myself and now I don’t know what to do and I-"

“Ssh.” Liz cut her off and enveloped her in a hug. “What’s done is done. We can’t take it back now. What happened afterward?”

“Well, we fell asleep and when I woke up this morning he was still sleeping so I just left.” She looked up helplessly at Liz.

Liz nodded. “Ok, that was probably better that you did. Maybe we can put all this behind us now. Maybe you both had to get it out of your systems you know?”

Maria shook her head. “I know what I did was wrong, but I still care about him. I want him more now.” She sat down, burying her head in her hands. “Oh Liz, I’m so confused.”

Liz sat next to her and put an arm around her friend. “I know Maria. Let’s just wait it out okay? It’s up to Michael now. He needs to decide what’s best for him.”

Maria nodded. “I know. And that’s why it hurts so much.”

Liz had Maria go home to get some rest and then she recapped the story to Max. He felt the best thing to do was to go over to Michael’s place and talk to him.

After entering Michael’s place Max picked up his cell and called Liz.

“I- I think you need to come over here.”

“What is it Max?”

“Michael’s gone.”

TBC