How Dreams Connect Us (AU,ALL,Adult) Ch.32 -2/22/2007[WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

sunshine6258
Enthusiastic Roswellian

How Dreams Connect Us (AU,ALL,Adult) Ch.32 -2/22/2007[WIP]

Post by sunshine6258 »

thanks to Tanya7496 for my beautiful banner!

Author: ANW

Disclaimer: I don't own the rights to Roswell, but am only
borrowing them to tell a new tale. The characters of "Roswell"
belong to Jason Katims, Melinda Metz, WB, and UPN. They are
not mine and no infringement is intended.

Pairings/Couples/Category: CC/ALL/AU The story will have a
little of everyone, but I do like CANDY the best. =)

Rating: Teen/Adult•

Summary: Since they were children, their dreams have been the key to who they are. Max, Michael and Isabel knew they were different, from the moment of their first memory. They just had the feeling that they were not supposed to be here. They were supposed to be somewhere else, far away. In their dreams, they slowly began to understand more about where they were from, but they still had no idea why they were on Earth and not there….wherever that other place was. They also held to a silent code, loyal only to each other in fear that they would be discovered and separated or worse...

They never let anyone come into their group, to protect their secret, until last year. The year Max finally got a chance to prove his love to a girl. A girl that he had never really talked to, but had wished he could. Even though the three of them had always agreed not to ever let anyone in on their secret, understanding the danger it would bring, Max had to, to save the one person he couldn't dream of losing-even though he had never voiced his feelings to her before. Later Isabel and Michael understood, and relationships with humans were begun. Only a select few were allowed to join with them in the knowledge of their genetic differences.

As they grew, the three aliens dreams continued, but much more infrequently. The still worried about someone finding out their secret, but they allowed themselves to lead normal lives, growing closer to their new human friends, and beginning to let go of their alien past.

Now they had met someone who was like them, and it couldn’t help but stir up old feelings and bring up new questions. How many were out their like them? Would this girl reveal new information? Could she be the key to their very existance?

• Author's Note: Hello, and welcome to my world of Roswell. I'm excited to have finally gotten the guts to post on this site. All your suggestions are welcome, as this is my first fanfic. If anyone would like to pm me or bump with ideas you'd like for me to use, please do so! I hope you enjoy yourselves! P.S. On a personal note, I think my fic kind of starts out slow...but it does pick up more and more momentum as you read along. Also, when I first started writing this fic, I used the names Jaiseti for Michael on Antar, Sihra for Tess, Manais for Max, and Megaris for Isabel. Thankfully, someone told me of their confusion, and I decided to change the names to the ones they used on the show. (i.e. Rath, Ava, Zan, and Vilandra) Hope you like this fic, and PLEASE drop me lots of notes with your thoughts! Thank you so much for reading! =) ~ANW

Chapter 1

Isabel and Alex were seated at their usual table in the quad. The sun was bright that day, and they were grateful for the shade the building provided them. “What are you eating Alex?” Isabel stated with one eyebrow raised.

“What, you don’t like cream cheese wrapped up in turkey slices?” Alex replied.

“Umm…no. I like my meats and cheeses between bread slices, if you don’t mind…and for that matter jalapeno cheddar is the only way to go.” she stated with a smirk on her face.

Alex stuck his tongue out at that remark, and Isabel laughed quietly to herself. Alex was munching down like there was no tomorrow, and she couldn’t help but feel warm when she looked at him, in spite of his quirky ways.

She started scanning the quad to see if any of her friends were around, and noticed a girl walking towards them with a bemused expression. “Alex, careful…I think someone is watching you eat!…” Isabel thought to herself that she had seen this girl in her English class earlier that day.

He looked up, with a little cream cheese on his lip, and hastily wiped it away. Thinking that she was coming over to talk to him and, with an inner smile, wondering why she could possibly be doing that; he thought quick and held up his right hand as if to stop her in her tracks and said “Sorry, there simply is not enough cream cheese to share with everyone!”

This elicited a roll of they eyes from Isabel, and then a blush crept up her neck as this was her first introduction to a new person, and Alex was talking about cheese!

The trim girl with blonde curls, and clear blue eyes quickly replied though, and stated “No, thanks! I prefer my cheese between two slices of bread…and for that matter, jalapeno cheddar is much better”.

Isabel smiled and was surprised at her quick comeback and said “Funny, I was just telling him something along those same lines. Pay no attention to my favorite cheese head, he’s harmless.”

The new girl laughed at that and said “Well, that sure was a great ice breaker, huh?”

Isabel chuckled quietly and replied, “Uh, huh. You’re new here right? I think I’ve seen you in one of my classes.”

The new girls blue eyes lit up her whole face, as she realized that Isabel had indeed noticed her before this meeting.

“Yeah, I have 1st period English with you…Mrs. Hamilton, right?”

Isabel replied, “Yeah, that’s right. She’s a really good teacher, you will like her. By the way, I’m Isabel, and this cheese head’s name is Alex.”

The new girl smiled warmly, and extended her hand to shake both of their hands “It’s very nice to meet you both…and my name is Tess.”

Isabel smiled even bigger at Tess’s bright personality, and felt this girl might be her answer to some much needed girl talk. “Tess, won’t you sit with us?”

Tess quickly plopped herself down in front of Isabel, and replied “Thanks so much. It is sometimes so hard to make friends at a new school!”

Alex, intrigued by this whole exchange with a new person, looked over at Isabel like she was crazy. He thought the moment he made his first joke that Isabel would make up some excuse to leave, or give this girl the brush in some way; but she was actually warming up to her! Trying to hide his worry, he thought to him self what was Max going to say about his sister buddying up with someone not in there inner circle. Not that they were a stuck up group or anything like that…but sometimes secrecy demanded sticking to the group.

Isabel continued her conversation by saying “Well Tess, what brings you to Roswell? This isn’t the kind of town you usually relocate too…you usually have to grow up here.”

Tess flipped her hair back over her shoulder, and replied “Well, actually I don’t know.”

Alex gave her a confused look, and decided to break into the conversation “What do you mean you don’t know?”

Tess sighed and replied “Well, I don’t usually like to bring this up, but I’m a foster kid. I have never been with any foster family for more that a year or two at a time so I never really got to close to any of them. What I don’t understand, is I’ve always had a foster family in Albuquerque, but somehow my new family is here in Roswell. I’m really not complaining though, because my new brother is hot!”

Alex almost choked on a turkey roll when he heard that last comment, and Isabel just chuckled to herself.

“I know all the eligible men in this school, who is this “hot” brother of yours?” Isabel said with raised eyebrows.

“Kyle is his name…” Isabel was just taking a sip of her drink as Tess made this last statement, and now she almost choked. She was thinking to herself that she only knew one Kyle at Roswell High. Tess continued “…and as you may have guessed, since his father is the Sheriff, Jim Valenti is my foster father.”

Isabel started to clear her throat, and Tess was patting her back helpfully. Alex thought quickly to himself, what the heck is that about? The sheriff, with all his knowledge of the pod squad, and the need for secrecy, went and decided to become a foster father?? Another thought went through Alex’s mind…Jim was not even married! This was insane! How did he plan to pull this one off ? For that matter, why was he even doing this?

Tess felt the tension build around her for a split second, then relaxed as Isabel seemed to be relaxing as well. Isabel didn’t know why, but she felt so at ease with this girl. When she touched her back to help her clear her throat she felt something familiar about her. No one ever made her feel that way except Max or Michael. She didn’t have time to ponder that feeling further as Alex all of a sudden looked like he had eaten some bad cheese. He quickly realized his internal thoughts were having him make a face, and he stood up.

“I think I’m not feeling to well…must be my lunch is not agreeing with me.” He said.

Tess and Isabel smiled and said in unison “I told you Cheddar is better!” Then they both burst out laughing. Isabel thought it was nice to have someone think the way she did, and Tess was easy to be around. She knew she had found a new friend. Alex, on the other hand, looked on and inwardly gave a big sigh. Izzy was making a new friend, and he hadn’t had enough time with her yet! Tess and Izzy were already talking animatedly like old friends, and since Alex had practically announced his trip to the bathroom, they seemed to have forgotten he was there. “Great, just great!” Alex thought to himself. “I’m sure Izzy was going to figure out any day now about me wanting to be more than “just friends” with her, and now she’ll have someone else occupying her time!” Feeling neglected, and his presence already forgotten, Alex quietly made his way into the cafeteria. Lunch was only half over, and he figured he’d try and find Liz or Maria.

“Alex!, over here!” Maria called to him.

Maria looked cute today! She was wearing just the right amount of make up to not look made up, but with really glossy lip gloss, a black and red plaid mini skirt, and a white collared shirt with black knee boots. She must be desperate to catch Michael’s attention today, though she’d never admit to it. “Hey Maria, why are you so gussied up, huh?”

Maria punched him in the arm, smiled, and stated conspiratorially “I’ll never tell!” Then she continued in her regular voice “No, I just felt like dressing up today. Can’t a girl dress nice for herself? If I’m not going to boost my self esteem, who is? I mean, you are always over there with Isabel, totally engrossed in her…” she was pointing in the direction of the table Alex just left when she caught site of Tess. “…and yes I know I’m babbling, but who is that talking to Isabel?”

Alex just sighed, and said “That is the reason Isabel will never find out how I feel about her. If it’s not one Czech crisis it’s something else.”

Maria, just shook her head, and countered with “Does Max know about Isabel making nice with a “new” person? We just discussed this at our last little gathering and got that whole ‘I don’t want us making friend’s outside of our group, it’s too dangerous’ speech again.”

Alex just shrugged his shoulders and replied “Yeah, I know, but Izzy seems to really like this girl. They even had a moment where the same phrase popped out of both of their mouths!”

“Really?” Maria replied. “For that to happen is really….”

“Really what?” Liz had just walked up and had caught the tail end of Maria’s comment. “What are you guys talking about?”

Alex just shifted from foot to foot as this new information was quickly making a beeline for Max. Once Liz knew, Max was sure to follow. He didn’t want Max getting mad at Izzy for trying to make a new friend, even though it’s what neither he nor Max would want.
“Well, we were just talking about…” and Liz’s eyes followed Maria’s pointed finger.

“Is that Isabel talking to another girl, and looking like she’s really enjoying herself? Liz exclaimed.

Alex gave his 5th sigh for the day and replied “Yeah, that’s the start of Izzy drawing away from me.”

“Oh Alex, stop being so dramatic, she’ll come around! She’d have to be totally blind to not snatch you up one day. What is Max going to think about this though. Have you guys thought of that?”

Alex replied “Yeah, I have, but I don’t think it’s even crossed her mind. They seem to be having to much fun talking to each other for Izzy to remember that her brother might just have a problem with a new friend.”

At that moment, Isabel with her face all flushed, walked up and joined the group. “Hey Guys, Alex are you feeling better?”

Alex just stared at her with his mouth slightly ajar, thinking to himself “she cares, she actually cares..” then shook his head and replied “Yeah, I’m fine, I just needed to walk it off I guess.”

Isabel looked relieved and turned to the other two girls “Did you see that blonde with the curly hair I was just talking to?”

Maria and Liz replied in unison, “Yeeees.”

“Well, you guys are never going to believe what she just told me.” Isabel lowered her voice and continued “She said she’s seen me in her dreams.”

Last edited by sunshine6258 on Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:32 pm, edited 27 times in total.
sunshine6258
Enthusiastic Roswellian

How Dreams Connect Us (AU, ALL, Teen/Adult) Ch 2 - 6/19/06

Post by sunshine6258 »

Chapter 2

“She’s seen you in her dreams?” Liz whispered back.

Isabel lowered her head further and said “Yeah, and not only me, but Max and Michael too.”

This was too much information for Liz to handle. She closed her mouth, which had been hanging open, and looked away briefly trying to collect her thoughts.

Given the pause in the conversation, Maria broke in “Are you pulling our leg? If this is a joke, I’m not laughing.” she said with her hands on her hips.

Isabel pulled Maria’s arm so she came could look her directly in the eyes “No Maria, I’m not joking, I’m dead serious.”

After hearing Izzy’s first statement of Tess seeing her in her dreams, Alex had been holding his breath, and he didn’t even realize it! He let it out then, and touched her arm. “You have to tell Max and Michael.”

Isabel agreed and they all planned to meet later at the Crashdown, the restaurant Liz’s parent’s owned. Isabel, her mind still giddy with future possibilities, hurried down the hallway and let herself into the eraser room. After quietly closing the door, she moved to the side and slowly slid down the wall until she was sitting on the floor. She knew she was unlikely to be disturbed here since lunch would be over in five minutes and no one would go in during class. She let her thoughts drift back to the beginning of her memories, turning over facts in her head.

Up until this point Max, Michael, and her knew their dreams held serious weight. Since they were children, their dreams have been the key to who they are. They all knew they were different, from the moment of their first memory, they just had the feeling that they were not supposed to be here. They were supposed to be somewhere else, far away. In their dreams, they had slowly began to understand more about where they were from, but they still had no idea why they were on Earth and not there….wherever that other place was.

As they developed, instinctively they kept their growing abilities a secret. Max could heal, Michael could cause objects to be destroyed, and Isabel could enter other’s dreams at night. All three of them had the ability to manipulate molecular structure as well and could turn things like notebook paper into money, and Ketchup into Mustard.

Max and Isabel were adopted as young children into a loving home by Mr. and Mrs. Evans. They were found wandering along the side of the road when they were around 5, but they had no memory of anything before that. Since the Evans found them, they decided to adopt them; and the Roswell Adoption Agency was grateful, as it was very hard to place children above the age of 3 into permanent homes. Collectively, when all three were picked up, they couldn’t even speak yet.

Michael was found wandering as well by a kind sheriff; Jim Valenti was his name. He took him to the Roswell Child Protective Services, and since he could not speak to tell him where he was from, he went straight into foster care. The day the Sheriff took Michael over to his new foster dad Hank and his foster mom Harriet, Michael had a death grip on his hand. The Sheriff had done a background investigation on them though and was satisfied that this would be a good home for him. Michael was happy there, and Hank was a good dad for about 6 months of Michael’s life. After Hank’s wife died after having a Stroke though, Hank started to drink, and pretty much stayed drunk the next ten years of Michael’s life. His temper would flare at the slightest detail and Michael took the brunt of his anger a lot of the time. Hence, Michael’s difficult personality at times. He’d been through a lot.

They progressed in academics at much the same pace, and had no difficulty learning to speak. Much to their teachers surprise, they graduated from Kindergarten to 1st grade with no problems along with the rest of their class. When they were in the 2nd grade, all three happened to be in the same art class. That day the teacher had asked the class to draw a picture of their favorite dream, using as many colors as they could, and making it as life like as possible. For a seven year old, this was a magnificent feat. The three of them worked on opposite ends of the room, a slight independent streak running through them all. When the teacher gathered all the drawings up, they were posted on the classroom wall for all to see. Strangely, three pictures looked almost identical. They were simply beautiful pictures of a place with blue grass, and flowing hills. Magnificent Brown and Green trees, or what looked like trees, and clear yellow lakes. A slightly purple sky with two burnt red suns, shined down from the top of the picture. There were slight variations between the pictures, but the resemblance was uncanny. The teacher had the three students come forward who had drawn the pictures and asked them who had drawn the first, and why had two of them copied. They insisted that they had not copied, but since they were only seven, the teacher assumed they were lying.

The three of them were separated from the rest of the class that day, and sat in a corner by themselves to “think about why it was not ok to lie.” Instead, Isabel and Max spoke in hushed tones with Michael, discussing their common dream. They found that they had had many similar dreams, each not seeing each other in them. They always saw themselves in their dreams though, as if remembering another life. Even at that tender age of seven, they seemed to have a wisdom beyond their years; and that’s when they agreed they were from that other world, and became inseparable from that day forward.

Isabel recapped all of this in her mind, and could not believe that there was someone else! Someone else from their world! There dreams were similar, but every dream from a separate person revealed something new. Would this new person show them more into their past? They had never let anyone come into their group, to protect their secret, until last year. The year her brother finally got a chance to prove his love to a girl. A girl that he had never talked to, but had wished he could. Even though the three of them had always agreed not to ever let anyone in on their secret, understanding the danger it would bring, Max had to do this. Later she and Michael understood, and things progressed from there.

In a booth the three of them sat at the Crashdown Café. Max was staring at Liz, a waitress in her parent’s restaurant. Suddenly, an argument broke out in the front of the café. Someone pulled a gun and before anyone knew what was happening, it went off. Liz was standing right by the counter talking to the Sheriff’s son Kyle and had just turned her back to him. When the bullet hit Liz in the stomach, it went through her like a knife, and struck Kyle in the same place it struck her. Liz fell back and landed on him. Just at that moment, the Sheriff ran into the café having seen Liz fall on top of Kyle. Max did not see him, however, he only saw the love of his life on the ground bleeding. Before he thought another coherent though, he was up and out of his seat, and down on his knees beside them both. He put his hand on her stomach and asked her to look at him. She did, and Max connected with her. Quickly healing her he eased her off of Kyle. Kyle was fading fast, and Max broke a bottle of Ketchup and handed it to Liz. She held it in dumfounded silence for the next 3 seconds it took to heal Kyle. Snapping out of her daze, and automatically understanding what she wanted him to do, she poured some of the bottle on Kyle and the rest on herself. The next moment the Sheriff was on them. He grabbed Max by the shoulder and herded the three of them to the back alley outside of the restaurant. Max told Isabel later exactly what had happened. After the sheriff closed the door behind them, he leaned against it and had his right hand pressed to his forehead. He whispered to Max if he had just witnessed what he though he had. Max simply stated, to please not tell anyone what he had seen. The next instant the Sheriff was hugging his son like there was no tomorrow and stumbling through a thank you for saving his son, and Liz from certain death, and told Max he had nothing to fear from him…ever. They had no idea of how the were going to explain their sudden disappearance, but walked back in the way they had left. It turned out, they never even needed to worry.

As soon as Max had left our booth, Isabel had quickly gave a big moan/scream and made a dramatic swoop out of the booth as well. Drawing all attention to herself, she fell to the ground; slightly to the left, and in front, of where Max, Liz, and Kyle were. She doubled over, as if in great pain, and curled into a fetal position. A crowd quickly gathered around her, and by that time the Sheriff had already herded everyone else out. Someone yelled for a doctor, thinking she had been shot. A man ran in from the sidewalk, claiming he was a doctor, and made his way over to her. As soon as she felt his hands on her, trying to pry her out of the position she was curled up in, she straightened out and began coughing. She tried her best to look like she was about to throw up, and got up and ran for the bathroom. Everyone was so dumbfounded by her act that they were completely distracted. After she came out of the bathroom and told everyone that her stomach had cramped up due to fear and to much greasy food, they knew she had not been shot, and could not figure out where the bullet had landed. As the Sheriff and the others were walking in the back door, she was walking back to them. She hurriedly told Max what she did, and Max told her what the Sheriff said. Kyle and Liz, still dazed from the whole ordeal were standing like zombies. Somehow, the Sheriff convinced them to act like Liz jumped back startled from the gunshot and fell on Kyle, taking the ketchup bottle with her and breaking it; spilling it on herself and then on Kyle when she rolled off of him. Then the Sheriff stated that he had taken them all to the back to get away from the commotion and check for injuries. Miraculously, everyone seemed to buy that story!

From then on things changed between them all. The Sheriff, after a lengthy discussion, became their number one backer, and protector. Kyle didn’t really like Max before that, but learned to be his friend. Maria and Alex found out from Liz at different times, and were both sworn to secrecy. Once the two of them found out, there was some ill feelings between Liz, Michael and Isabel. Eventually they relented, as Max trusted Liz, and they trusted Max. Plus Max had seen into Liz’s soul before. Liz and Max became inseparable after that, something happening between them when they connected for her healing. They just automatically understood how the other thought and also found out they had both liked each other for a long time with neither of them being brave enough to voice it. The three aliens dreams continued, but much more infrequently. The still worried about someone finding out their secret, but they allowed themselves to lead normal lives, growing closer to their new human friends.

Now…now they had met someone who was like them, and it couldn’t help but stir up old feelings and bring up new questions. How many were out their like them? Would this girl reveal to them new information? Could she be the key? So many questions…

All of a sudden, the door swung open to the eraser room and Max was standing in the doorway.
Stargazer's Delight
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Stargazer's Delight »

Very interesting summary, it alone was enough to pull me to read your story.

Must say that for your first attempt at fiction you have certainly got of to a good start.

Great first 2 updates, i look forward to see how this turns out.
tequathisy
Addicted Roswellian

Post by tequathisy »

great start
Banner by Evelyn
begonia9508
Roswell Fanatic

Post by begonia9508 »

Great start! Tess seems to be nice.... or is it just my imagination? EVE :roll: :wink:
- Les jouissances de l'esprit sont faites pour calmer les orages du coeur!
- On reconnaît le bonheur au bruit qu'il fait quand il s'en va!
- L'amour vous rend aveugle et le mariage vous redonne la vue!
sunshine6258
Enthusiastic Roswellian

How Dreams Connect Us (AU, ALL, Teen/Adult) Ch. 3 - 6/19/06

Post by sunshine6258 »

Chapter 3

Max walked in and shut the door quietly behind him.

Isabel thought to herself “Man, have I been in here an hour already?”

“Isabel, where have you been? You never made it to class last period, and one of the girls in there said she saw you slip in here before the bell rang. She was telling a few people around her she was sure you were meeting ‘that weird guy Alex’ in here or something. What’s going on?”

Isabel shakily stood up, her left leg kind of cramped from the way she was sitting. “Gosh Max, do I have to tell you where I am every minute of the day?? I mean what I do in my personal time is my business you know!” Isabel snapped.

Max took a small step back as though stung and replied “I’m sorry, you’re right. I was just worried, that’s all.”

Of course then Isabel felt bad for over reacting. She rolled her eyes and sighed trying to reign in her feelings from getting mad so suddenly and replied “It’s alright I’m just kind of feeling very anxious right now. Something happened Max; something that could possibly change a lot of things. It’s nothing bad, I think, but I need to tell you when Michael is present too.”

Max just stood there with his arms crossed across his chest and looked interested. Then he said “Why can’t you just tell me now Iz? I thought we had no secrets from each other.”

Isabel stepped forward and put her hand on his shoulder “Max, this is something that concerns all of us and our otherworldly status, and I need to tell both of you at the same time. Please just be patient with me for once.”

Max took her hand off of his shoulder and squeezed it. “Ok Iz, I’ll wait till later…but you better not hold out on me then…” he leaned in a little closer and spoke in a softer tone “…especially if this concerns our otherworldly status.”

Isabel smiled and gave a sigh of relief at that and replied “Good, and thank you. You are never going to believe what I have to tell you...”

Max just chuckled and muttered under his breath “I’m sure I will.”

At 8:30 that evening, Isabel and Max parked their Jeep in front of the Crashdown, and got out. Isabel practically jumped from the car, while Max exited like he normally did-calmly and in control. The bell jingled on the front entrance door as they both walked into the restaurant. Isabel saw Alex parked on a bar stool and she slid into the stool next to him. Max followed her lead, and sat down on the other side of her. They knew they were waiting for closing time which was in thirty minutes. Isabel was so excited she was positively spinning inside. She ordered an ice water with a slice of lemon to avoid any caffeine which would just make her more jumpy.

Liz saw them walk in, and brought Max a Cherry Coke, knowing that’s what he would order anyway. “Hey Max, long time no see.” She quickly leaned over the counter when she set down his drink, and stole a quick kiss “I missed you…” her words leaving much unsaid.

“Oh bleh, get a room you two.” Isabel stated with her usual grimace when they made goo goo eyes at each other. “Some of us want to keep our dinner in our stomach.”

“You’re just jealous, Iz…” Max replied. Then he leaned over so only his sister could hear, “…you really should give Alex a chance you know…”

This elicited a glare from Isabel, and her tongue stuck out at him. Max could swear he saw a slight blush rise on her cheeks though.

Just then Maria paraded up with her crazy antenna’s from her waitress outfit at an awkward angle. “Hey, if you guys want anything off of the grill, speak now or forever hold your peace!”

Michael yelled from the kitchen, “Unless you want a grilled cheese, you are SOL, the grill is almost cool. Order some dessert or something!”

Max held up his hand, and Isabel just smiled to herself. Max said “That’s ok, we already ate at home. Thanks anyway.”

Maria just sighed, stuck her pencil behind her ear and said with both eyebrows raised, “No matter, I need time to clean up before our little meeting anyway.”

Max looked over at Isabel then and said “What, Maria knows and I don’t?”

“She was there when it happened! You’ll find out in a few minutes anyway. Stop worrying!” Isabel still smiled despite herself. She was surprisingly looking forward to sharing this information.

Fifteen minutes later, the Crashdown was closed up, and Maria and Liz were just wiping down the tables. Michael had already used his otherworldly abilities, discreetly of course, to clean up the kitchen.

Soon they were all seated in the booth nearest to the front of the restaurant and a table was pulled up to make enough room for everyone. They were as far away from the back as they could be, just in case Liz’s parents go curious.

Everyone was quiet as no one knew who should start talking first. Of course Michael was the first to speak, as his usual impatient nature called for. “So, what’s this all about Isabel?”

Isabel bit her bottom lip and looked from Michael to Max. She took a deep breath and began “Well guys, I had lunch with an interesting girl at school today...”

Michael cut her off then and said “Come on Iz! I’ve already heard that this has something to do with us not being from around here…what does this have to do with another human?!”

“Michael, if you’d just shut up and listen, I’ll tell you.” Isabel snapped.

Max sighed and told Isabel “Sister, you had better hurry and spit it out.”

“Alright, alright. Anyway, like I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted..." She threw a glare in Michael's direction "...I had lunch with a girl today who told me something I never thought I would hear from anyone. She told me she has seen me in her dreams.”

At this, Max and Michael were both struck speechless and Isabel relished the feeling that she finally had them both at a loss for words.

“She….wh..what??” Max stammered.

“Just what I said; she said she has seen me in her dreams…and not just me, the two of you as well.”

“What?!” Michael exclaimed. “If this is a joke, I’m not laughing…”

Quickly extending her hand out for dramatic effect Maria added “That’s what I said when I first found out.”

Michael turned back to Isabel. “You are telling me that this girl…she is…”

“…like us.” Max finished for him.

“Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying.” Isabel replied. “Except there is something new guys Putting your shock aside for a moment; yes that means close your mouth Michael.” Isabel smirked at him. “Up to this point, her dreams are unlike all of ours have been. We see only ourselves in our dreams…she has seen all of us.”
Last edited by sunshine6258 on Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunshine6258
Enthusiastic Roswellian

How Dreams Connect Us (AU, All, Teen/Adult) Ch 4 - 6/19/2006

Post by sunshine6258 »

Thanks for the comments you guys! :wink: It really means alot that someone is reading. (In case anyone was wondering, I have 17 chapters written so far, but this story is nowhere near complete. I'm posting them as often as I can, as work allows. Let's see if I can get all 17 up today! Please keep the reviews coming, they encourage me more than you know! :D

Chapter 4

Max shifted in his seat so he was sitting closer to the table and leaned against it. “Wait a second Iz, who is this new girl? Have we seen her before? Has she gone to school here long?”

Izzy held up her hand to stop further questioning. “Her name is Tess, and she just moved here from Albuquerque. She is a foster kid…just like you Michael.” Michael harrumphed at that comment. “Anyway, she is, and she is living with…you are never going to believe this one…the Valenti’s!”

“Oh, this just keeps getting better and better.” Michael muttered.

Alex had been silent for the most part during this whole conversation, but decided to throw in his two cents here. “I know! The Sheriff, becoming a foster dad? It’s just so bizarre! Not to mention that she’s a fully developed teenage girl, and he has a normal teenage boy in the house!”

Isabel shot him a look, with one eyebrow raised, for that “fully developed teenage girl” comment, and Alex blushed and slouched down a little in his seat to try and escape her gaze. She was thinking of course, “Had he really been looking that closely?” She tossed her hair a little to try and dispel the heat creeping into her cheeks, and wondered why she should care what or who Alex did and didn’t notice.

Max then veered attention back to him with the following statement. “Guys, we are getting off point here. So she is living with the Valenti’s. We can get into the details of that later.” The next statement was directed to Isabel. “I want to know all you found out about her otherworldly status as it pertains to us.”

“I knew you’d jump back to that soon” Isabel replied. “Well there’s not much I can tell you, as she only told me enough to know she was not lying. She wants to meet with all of us at the same time for her to tell us more. She doesn’t know that Liz, Alex, or Maria know anything about us though. I’m not sure if we want to let her in on that yet. We should feel her out.”

Liz crossed her arms in front of her chest and replied “I don’t think it matters if she knows about us. She’s the one with something to hide.”

“I know how you feel Liz...” Max replied “…but I don’t want to take any chances with you three. You guys are just as important to us as we are to you. Just give us some time ok?”

Liz sighed and replied reluctantly, “OK” and Maria looked relieved. Who knew what this new girl’s abilities would be…was she the only one who was thinking about that? She had just taken a breath to voice that opinion when Michael interrupted her.

“We have to be careful, who knows what this new girl could be capable of? We can protect ourselves for the most part, but you guys don’t have any defenses.”

Maria huffed at that and exclaimed “Don’t you worry about us spaceboy, we’ll be just fine.” She didn’t want to seem scared, even though the feeling of fear was nesting in her belly at that moment.

“Maria, you need to be mindful of new developments, just like the rest of us!” he retorted.

“Ok everyone, just relax ok?.” Max broke in. “I think the next thing we need to do is arrange a meeting between this new girl…Tess, is her name?”

“That’s right” Isabel replied.

“Arrange a meeting, with her and the three of us. We need to be careful, plan to meet in a public place of some sort, someplace where our conversation will be lost on everyone around us though, and discuss what she knows. Agreed?”

Everyone except the humans replied back “Agreed.”

The next day at school everyone seemed to be walking on eggshells. Max, Michael, and Isabel were all tense just waiting for a bomb to drop. Their nerves were on edge not being sure if Tess was friend or Foe, but being pretty sure that she was a friend was not helping. Underneath the nervous tension though was a growing excitement. What would they find out when they talked to her?

Liz was standing at her locker just about to lock it up when Max walked over to her.

“Hey love, how are you doing?” he said as he leaned in for a quick kiss.

“Oh, I’m ok, but I can see that you are a little jumpy. Thinking about what you will find out from Tess this evening?” Liz replied.

“Yeah” Max said as he leaned against the lockers for support. “I just can’t shake the feeling that what she has to say will somehow change everything, and I can’t figure out if it will be a good change or…”

Liz reached over and put her hand on his shoulder, pulling him closer “Relax Max, everything will be ok. I know you guys can handle it, and that you will be careful. Maybe you will find out the missing pieces of your life…”

Max leaned in so that he was face to face with Liz. “You are my life…”

Liz smiled and kissed him quickly and replied “You are mine too…and the rest will just be filling in the gaps.”

Just then the bell rang, and the couple hurried to Biology.

Isabel was sitting in History class attempting to pay attention, but instead was playing with a lock of her hair staring absently at the clock watching the seconds tick by. Alex was staring at Isabel trying to figure out what his next move was going to be. He knew she was seriously distracted with the whole Tess situation, and thought this would be a great time to lend his support and give her some focus. Then maybe, just maybe she would start to re-evaluate their relationship and he could get to the next level with her. Pure Heaven. He scribbled a quick note on a piece of paper, and passed it over to her desk.

Isabel was brought out of her daze by Alex’s note, and looked down to read it.

Dear Izzy,

I know you have a lot to deal with right now, and that you are nervous about what you are about to learn. I just wanted you to know that I think you are the strongest woman (Czech Woman =) I have ever known, and that you are going to be fine. Also, if you ever need an opinion from the outside looking in, I’m here.

~Alex

Isabel quickly wrote a six word reply and handed it back with a shy smile. Alex could feel his slight blush as he unfolded the note and read “Alex, you are on the inside.” The blush went from slight, to full blown heat crawling up his neck and into his hairline when he read that. “I’m on the inside?” he thought to himself. What does that mean? He knew he’d be dying with questions inside until he could talk to her later about that comment.

He looked over at her and she was still smiling slightly at him. He smiled a big goofy smile in return and then she rolled her eyes and giggled quietly as to not disturb the class. She quickly schooled her features and mouthed the word LATER and he sighed. He turned around knowing he would not be paying attention in this class today either.

At lunchtime Maria was walking around outside looking for someone to sit with. Giving up upon not finding any of her friends, and too hungry to search more, she plopped down under the welcome shade of a tree and bit into an apple.

She really wanted to see Michael before his meeting with Tess tonight. She didn’t trust the girl further than she could throw, but she knew she came off a little strong the day before at The Crashdown.

Just then, like a shadow, Michael popped out from behind the tree she had chosen to sit down at.

Maria gave a small shriek, and then slapped Michael on the calf. “Thanks for making me almost choke on my apple!” she snapped.

Michael just looked down at her smugly, knowing he had intentionally startled her, and thought to himself that she really was cute when smoke escaped her ears. He kneeled down and sat down next to her.

“Sorry, I really didn’t mean to…” he said smiling internally.

“Fine, fine, whatever...” She said putting up her hand and effectively cutting off any more of an apology. “So, you meet with Tess tonight, huh?”

Michael crossed his arms and replied “Yeah, we decided to meet at that Carnival Grounds. You know the one that just came into town?”

Maria took another bite of her apple and replied “Uh huh, I know. The one set up on the north side of town.” She took a breath and asked hesitantly, “Are you guys sure it’s safe to be talking there?”

Michael just squinted his eyes at the sun and replied “It will be fine Maria, don’t worry.”

Maria sighed and leaned over so that she was sitting a little closer to Michael. “You know I just want you guys to be safe, right? I know you are smart and that you would protect them and yourself if it came to that.”

At this sudden weighted moment from Maria, Michael felt her heavy emotion. She was trying to hide it, but he could feel she really was concerned for him. At the same time she trusted him as a protector. He didn’t even trust himself as a protector. The thought of her having so much faith in him gave him a feeling in his stomach he was not used to, but it wasn’t unpleasant. He suddenly turned to her and used his thumb and pointer finger to have her look into his eyes.

“Thank you for having faith in me. It means a lot.” Then as if he realized that he was acting out of character, he shuffled to his feet and shoved his hands into his pockets. If he didn’t put them somewhere he might just grab Maria and kiss her. He had never felt so attracted to her before, but he wasn’t sure how she felt about him at the moment.

Maria was trying to compute what just happened. Did Michael and her just have a moment? It was over so fast she wasn’t sure. Afterwards, he jumped to his feet he mumbled to her something about having to go return a library book, but she barely registered that he had left. The feeling he left with her was so beautiful she never wanted it to end. Stonewall Michael had just bared a tiny bit of his soul to her and she was going to savor it while this moment lasted. She leaned back against the tree, while taking another bite of her apple, and thought to herself “There is still hope for us…”

Just then Liz walked up and sat down next to her. “Hey Maria, wow you look like you’ve just been kissed! What’s up?”

“Oh, I just saw a crack in the stonewall that surrounds Michael.” She replied.

Taking out a sandwich from her paper lunch bag, Liz replied “That’s a first.”

Still smiling blissfully Maria stated “I know! I feel like I’m finally getting somewhere with him. I wonder if this new person Tess will cloud his thinking and halt this progress. All I can say, is she better not!”

Liz swallowed the bite of sandwich she had just chewed and said “Don’t worry Maria, he’ll come around. Have some faith!”

“OMG, that’s just what he told me!” Maria exclaimed.

“What?” Liz replied.

“That I had faith in him, and he was thanking me for it!” Maria said.

“Well there you go, you just have to have a little trust in him now.”

“That’s so hard sometimes…my dad really screwed up my overall trust in men…” She sighed and then said “…but today is a start!”
Last edited by sunshine6258 on Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunshine6258
Enthusiastic Roswellian

How Dreams Connect Us (AU, All, Teen/Adult) Ch 5 - 6/19/2006

Post by sunshine6258 »

Chapter 5

Tess sat in her last class for the day, staring off into space. She was chewing on the end of her pencil, and completely lost in her thoughts. She hadn’t seen Isabel since 1st period, and aside from a few quick words after class stating where and when they were planning to meet tonight, she hadn’t really talked to her. She hadn’t seen anyone else from the group that day yet either. At lunchtime she had found Kyle, and much to his amazement, had sat and ate with him for the period.

Since Tess first walked in his front door with his father, he had been in complete awe of her. She was so perfect with those perfectly blonde curls, and her big, beautiful, blue eyes that set off her lightly tanned skin so nicely. He was a goner after his first glance. Of course, he had fought hard not to let his feelings show. What would this girl think of him if right off the bat he was all over her? (which is what he was resisting with all his might…oh Buda help!) Of course that wasn’t his first impression of this situation. When his dad had come home that day and told him that he had decided to foster a girl from Albuquerque, Kyle had thought his dad had lost his mind. His dad had then explained to him the story of Michael's past and how Jim had always felt responsible for the situation.

Jim had tried to have Michael moved to a different home when he was young, but there was never enough evidence of abuse to warrant a foster family change. When a friend of his at the orphanage made him aware of an opportunity to help out a girl that needed a family, Jim knew he had the room. Also, with Kyle being older, he knew that it would be feasible.

After Kyle knew his dad’s motivation, he thought maybe it would be good for his dad to have someone small to look after since he was getting older, and he could tell his dad missed the days when he was a child. When he found out that this “girl” was actually his age, he was completely floored! Of course, nothing could compare to how he felt when she first walked in his front door. He would remember that moment for the rest of his life.

“Kyle! Son are you home?” Jim said as he walked in his front door. He could hear the door to Kyle’s room open.

Kyle suddenly came into view, just as Tess was strolling in the door. She had on white blue jeans and a blue blouse that matched her eyes perfectly. Her hair was pulled back in a pony tail , with a few blonde ringlets falling out and surrounding her face. She was struggling with her suitcase, and he quickly ran up to help her.

“Here let me help you with that” Kyle rushed to say.

Tess gave a sigh of relief and replied “Thanks so much…unfortunately, there is more in the car.”

Kyle lifted the suitcase with little effort and replied “Oh, that’s ok, I don’t mind at all.” Thinking quickly he said “You will be staying in my room, so I’ll just take this in there” he gestured to his room.

Kyle rushed out of her sight as soon as he could, as he tried to calm down. WOW, was she attractive. He could barely get control of himself before his dad followed him into his room.

“Are you ok son? I thought we were going to convert my office into a room for her?” Jim stated with one eyebrow raised.

Feeling a little more relaxed Kyle replied, “I know dad, I just thought since my room is a little bigger, that she might be more comfortable in here. The bed is at least already set up for her. I can sleep on the couch until we get a bed up in the office for me.”

Jim smiled at his son with a look in his eye that said he knew what his son was thinking. “Just remember that she will be living in this house like a family member, so don’t make her uncomfortable…”

Kyle looked insulted and replied “Daaad, you know I wouldn’t do that.”
Jim just chuckled and said “Alright son, well I guess you should start transferring your stuff into the office. I’ll help Tess with the rest of her stuff.”

“Sure thing.” Kyle replied.

As Tess thought back to that first meeting, unbeknownst to her, Kyle had been assailed with much of the same feelings as she had. She sighed when she remembered first laying eyes on him. He was wearing a pair of black wind pants, and a wife beater and her mouth went dry as soon as she saw him. His hair was falling over his forhead and she just wanted to reach out and touch it! She quickly swallowed to put some moisture back in her mouth as she struggled with her suitcase.

He had been such a gentlemen offering to help her with her bag, and also offering her his own room! The Sheriff had told her on the way there that they would be converting his office into a room for her, but obviously Kyle had other ideas. She was grateful, as after she poked her head into the office that day, she noticed that it only had one small window, and Kyle’s room had a much bigger one. She loved the sunlight. She continued pondering her new family, and wondered if anything romantic would ever be possible with Kyle. She hoped that he didn’t think of her as just his sister right off the bat.

“Well” she thought “I might as well help him see me as more than just a sister and now would probably be the best time to start!” Which is why she was wearing a sleeveless, off the shoulder, sundress today. Her hair was freshly washed and styled with mousse, and she had on a silver necklace that dipped down, pointing to her cleavage. With just the right amount of makeup on she felt sure of getting a reaction. His jaw drop when she had walked up to him at lunch was all that she needed to see and made her confident that he would not be thinking of her as a sister anytime soon.

When the bell rang signaling the end of 6th period Tess jumped, startled. She put her unopened book back in her book bag, and headed out the door. She met up with Kyle in the parking lot, and they drove home.

When she got there, she quickly made her way into her new room, and changed into blue jeans, and a yellow top. She looked at herself in the mirror and decided that she would put her hair up in a pony tail, since it was kind of wind blown from the ride home. She didn’t want to look scary at her meeting with Max, Michael, and Isabel tonight. After tying a thin yellow ribbon around her pony tail, she walked out of the room to look for Kyle.

Kyle was sitting on the couch watching ESPN. There were no games on at the moment, but he liked listening to statistics sometimes. Tess looked at what was on the screen, which was some guy comparing numbers on a board, and thought “how boring…”. She then walked over and plopped down next to Kyle.

Kyle gave a slight jump when he realized Tess had sat down next to him, but tried to not appear startled as he looked her way.

“Hey Tess, w-what’s up?” he stammered out.

Tess smiled and looked slightly amused at his reaction, and replied “Hey, I’m meeting up with some new friends from school at the Carnival grounds tonight. Do you think you can drop me off?”

Kyle gave her a curious look, and said “Sure I can, in fact I just might join you.”

Tess’s smile quickly faded to a concerned face, “Oh that’s ok Kyle, you don’t have to. I understand if you are busy.”

“No really, I have no plans for tonight.” Kyle replied.

Tess thought quickly internally, if he came with her, how would she get rid of him while she talked with Max, Michael, and Isabel? She’d just have to lose him somehow when she got there, and knew she could think of a way on the way there. She quickly schooled her features and tried to sound excited.

“Great! Then let’s get going!” she exclaimed.

“Ok”, Kyle replied, “Let’s go.”

Max, Michael, and Isabel were just getting to the Carnival grounds around this time. They had agreed to meet at the tables behind the Ferris wheel, but they still had about 30 minutes before their scheduled meeting time. As they were getting out of the jeep, Michael spoke up.

“Max, have you talked with Valenti or Kyle since finding out about Tess yesterday?”

“No, I actually thought for some reason that one of you guys did. Isabel?

“Don’t look at me! You are our ‘leader’ Max. Aren’t you supposed to be on top of things like this?” she replied sarcastically.

Max replied quietly, but slightly defensive “Well, I have been kind of preoccupied lately”.

“So have we!” Michael and Isabel replied at the same time.

“Ok, let’s worry about that later. Let’s get something to eat, and go sit down.” Max replied.

They made their way over to the snack area, but ended up just getting something to drink, as they were all to nervous to be really hungry. Then they walked over to their predetermined meeting spot and sat down. Michael announced that he had to “hit the head” and walked quickly over to a bathroom.

Max and Isabel were sitting there at the table in silence, sipping their drinks, when Tess walked up.
[/b]
sunshine6258
Enthusiastic Roswellian

How Dreams Connect Us (AU, ALL, Teen/Adult) Ch 6 - 6/19/2006

Post by sunshine6258 »

Chapter 6

She walked up and stood behind Max and Isabel, and they didn’t turn around not hearing her.

She said in a low voice “Blue Grass, Yellow Lakes, and a purple sky.” Both Max and Isabel jumped at hearing those words.

Isabel exclaimed “Tess! Wow, that was kind of creepy.”

Tess smiled, and went to the other side of the table to sit down. “Sorry if I scared you. I knew I’d meet you guys someday, and I always wondered what I’d say when I first saw you; you know to break the ice.”

Max leaned in a little and replied “That was a very appropriate ice breaker.” He suddenly felt something familiar about her words, but dismissed the feeling as nervousness.

Isabel spoke up then, “Well, we are just waiting for Michael. He had to go to the little boys room first.”

Tess smiled and said, “It’s ok. I’d have been here 10 minutes ago, but Kyle insisted on coming to the carnival too, and I had to lose him somehow.”

Max and Isabel exchanged a look, and smiled. “How did you lose him?” Isabel asked with one eyebrow raised.

Tess got a conspirator look on her face and said “I took him to the house of mirrors on the other side of the fairgrounds. He’s probably still in there!”

Michael couldn’t believe the restroom was closed on their side of the fairgrounds. He hurried to find the next nearest restroom, only to discover that it was clear on the other side of the Carnival. He finally tracked it down, right near the house of mirrors and went in. When he had relieved himself, he went to wash his hands. Just then Kyle walked in.

“Hey Man.” Kyle greeted Michael.

“What are you doing here Kyle?” Michael asked.

“My new ‘sister’ is meeting some friends from school here, and I came with her. I seem to have lost her somehow in the house of mirrors though.” He stated while scratching his head.

Michael figured this was as good a time as any to tell him about Tess. “Um Kyle?”

“Yeah?” he replied.

He figured he’d just come out and say it. With a quick look around to make sure they were alone, Michael stated “Tess is an alien.”

“Funny man, good joke!” Kyle said while punching Michael in the arm.

Only Michael wasn’t smiling and was still silent. “Oh man, you are serious!” Kyle exclaimed.

“Apparently. She had a talk with Isabel yesterday, and is meeting US here tonight to talk with us about it. She’s seen all of us in her dreams before.”

Kyle was standing there with his mouth open, looking ridiculous, and then he quickly shut it and put his hands on his hips. “You're kididng!” and then he said under his breath “I can’t believe this….I’m in love with an alien…” he muttered under his breath.

“What was that?” Michael asked.

“Oh, nothing” Kyle said very quickly. “Well, that explains why she apparently ditched me. She didn’t want me to know she was meeting with you guys. I’m guessing this means she doesn’t know that I already know, huh?”

“That would be correct. Max didn’t think we should tell her of our human involvement until we have felt her out. After all, we don’t want a crazy alien killer coming after you humans or anything…” he stated.

“I really hope not…” Kyle stated under his breath again.

“What?” Michael asked.

“Nothing, nothing. Just have a lot on my mind is all. Well, you better get to your meeting. I’ll just go hang out by the Ferris wheel until you guys are done.”

“Bad idea. That’s where we are meeting at.” Michael replied.

“Oooook, well, I guess I’ll just hang out at the snack bar on THIS side of the fair grounds until later. Let her think she really lost me.” Kyle said with a wink.

“Whatever man, I have to go. She’s probably already over there. Don’t tell your dad about Tess yet. We’ll tell him as soon as we know if she is who she says she is.Ok?”

“Sure.” Kyle replied.

“Later man” Michael said as he pushed open the swinging door and walked out of the bathroom.

Kyle stood there for a second looking into one of the mirrors. “Get a grip man.” He stated to his reflection. “Just because she’s an alien doesn’t change anything…”

At least he hoped it didn’t . He’d never been fond of the whole alien abyss they had all been pulled into that day at the Crashdown. He thought he could learn to embrace it though if it meant being with Tess…

Michael walked up to the table and sat down without a word next to Tess. He got the strangest familiar feeling as soon as he was in that close of proximity to her, but brushed it off as tension and asked a question.

“So you’re Tess, huh?” Michael stated.

“Yes I am” she replied, “and you are Michael.” She could sense a familiarity in his voice-it kind of soothed her, even though he was apparently being flip with her.

“Last time I checked, that was my name.” he said sarcastically.

“Michael, give her a break” Isabel admonished.

Max broke into this exchange before it escalated, “OK Tess, now that Michael is here, it is time for you to start talking.”

Tess took a deep breath and began “Well, you guys I’m not sure what you guys have seen in your dreams, but I’ve seen all of you in mine.”

“Yeah, we know that already” Michael broke in.

“Michael” Max said in a warning voice “let her talk”. Michael gave a small salute to Max and said “Yes sir, your highness.”

At that Tess gave a small smile. “It’s funny you should say that Michael.”

“What?” Michael replied “We know that already?”

“No” Tess said “Your highness.”

Michael and Max exchanged curious looks. “Why?” Michael asked.

“Because Max is a king.” Tess said matter of factly.

“Hold on, Michael said. We knew instinctively that he was supposed to be our leader, but are you trying to tell me that he is actually our king?” Max said disbelievingly.

“Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying” Tess replied. Michael crossed his arms in front of his chest and sat back, as Max took a deep breath.

“What are you saying?” Max asked Tess.

“Well, if you guys can try and hold questions until I’m done, I’ll tell you everything I know, ok? Tess asked.

“Whatever you say” Michael replied.

“Thank you Michael.” Tess then took a breath to begin. “When I was living with my first foster family my dreams started. I was around six at the time. I had never felt at ease with that family, and even though they were very nice to me, I felt out of place. When I had my first dream, I knew it had to mean something. My first dream was of a land with rolling hills, brown and green trees, and of course blue grass, yellow lakes, and a purple sky. The two glowing orange suns made a big impression on me and was the last thing I saw before the dream ended.

While in it, I felt so at ease, like the feeling of being at home. This is what made me believe that my dream was more than just a dream. After that I had a dream at least once a week until I moved here. At first all I saw was me in my dreams. When I was around 10 though, I began seeing your faces. I saw Max on a throne. I saw Isabel at his side-though not as a queen-maybe a princess. I knew she was your sister though.”

She said that last part directly to Max when she saw his face turn a little green at the thought of Isabel being queen, and him possibly being married to his now sister!

“Anyway, and I saw Michael. He was the leader of your armies and your best friend.”

“And who are you?” Isabel asked.

“I don’t know how I really fit into the scheme of the royal court, if that is what your asking.” Tess replied

“What do you mean by that?” Max asked leaning in even more as his curiosity was peaked.

Tess shrugged her shoulders and replied “Well, I just don’t know. I honestly thought that one of you would know how I fit into things since I saw you in my dreams; and maybe you saw me in yours. I only ever saw myself as an outsider. Looking on at your interactions and enjoying life outside the palace. I’m kind of disappointed that one of you doesn’t know me.” She said with a slight catch to her voice.

“I really thought I’d finally found my family.” She sighed. “Well, at least you are like me, even if we aren’t related.”

Max was stupefied. He felt such compassion for this girl and knew instinctively that all she said was the truth. He reached over the table and touched her shoulder.

“Tess, I know that you are telling us the truth, and even though it appears that we aren’t your blood family, I want you to always consider us as that. Michael, Isabel, and I have always taken care of each other, and we are happy to have you in our lives now too.”

Michael being strangely moved by her sentiment, and feeling like he needed to comfort her, also laid a hand on her shoulder and said “Tess, I’m sorry I was so rude to you before. I’m sure you know how hard it can be to trust people sometimes, you being a foster kid and all. I have been there too, and I understand.”

Not really knowing why he just said that but not to comfortable letting his guard down he then said “Well, you are in the group now, and we are in this thing together” and he proceeded to pat her in a friendly manner on the shoulder while he stood up.

She made his guard come down when he wasn’t even thinking about it, and he thought if he got some distance between them that it would give him some control back.

Isabel came around the table and put her arm around Tess “You can come to me whenever you need to talk or just for any reason at all. Consider me your sister.” Isabel said brightly.

Tess was overwhelmed at all of the support and acceptance, and she very much wanted to take Isabel at her word about being sisters. Yet, she still felt something missing in her heart. If only she could figure out what that something missing was….
sunshine6258
Enthusiastic Roswellian

How Dreams Connect Us (AU, ALL, Teen/Adult) Ch 7 - 6/19/2006

Post by sunshine6258 »

Chapter 7

Liz and Maria were both working mindlessly trying to absorb themselves in their work and trying not to think about what was, or wasn’t happening at the meeting with Tess.

“Order up!” cried José , the cook for the night, since Michael had traded him for the night off.

“Coming, coming…Be right there” said Maria as she put down the shake she was just starting to make. She touched the plate, which was a little to hot and cried “Ouch! Joseeeé, I thought I told you to stop putting the plates so close to the grill!”

José just shrugged his shoulders and said “Sorry mi vida, I’ll try harder next time.”

Maria rolled her eyes at that comment and muttered “You better…” under her breath. As she turned around to take her order to her table, she thought to herself of another reason she liked when Michael worked the night shift. At least he never burned her with plates!

“Hey chika, how are you holding up?” she asked Liz as she walked back to the counter to finish her shake.

“ ‘Bout as good as you are I imagine” she said while wiping down the counter for the 10th time that hour. Her stomach was in knots, and she was trying to be brave. She couldn’t wait for that door to open and see Max coming through it though.

“I know, but we have to be strong! I’m sure that everything is fine.” Maria tried to sound confident, but wasn’t sure if the crack in her voice betrayed her inner feelings. In an effort to be funny she said “Liz, if you wipe down the counter much more, there won’t be a counter left to wipe!”

This elicited a small smile from Liz, but still she had an overall queasy feeling in her stomach. She thought to herself “Calm down Liz!”

Just then Alex walked in the door and came over and sat on a barstool. “What’s up Ladies?” he said trying to hide his own worry. “How are you holding down the fort in this mad house?” He indicated all the empty chairs and tables around him.

Maria only had one table left, and she planned on locking up when they were done eating. The girls laughed at his joke and his attempt to lighten the mood. They spent the next thirty minutes just trying to make more jokes and hold it together. As Liz was wiping down the last table, and Maria was turning the OPEN sign to CLOSED, the door to the Crashdown opened and in walked the pod squad.

Liz was just putting a pencil behind her ear and practically poked herself in the head with it when she saw Max. Relief flooded her features and he could tell she had been worried.

“Hey Max, how’d it go?” she said while coming over to meet him.

He gathered her in a bear hug, kissed the top of her head and replied “Thank you for worrying about me, but everything went fine.” He pulled back to look into her eyes and continued “We still have a lot to talk about with Tess, but I’m confident that she does not pose a threat.”

“I agree” Michael interjected.

“Well that’s a first” Maria said as she walked up to him. Michael gave her a squinty eyed look and she stated quickly “So what happened?”

Michael pulled out a chair, from the nearest table, and turned the seat around so the backrest was against his chest and sat down. “Well, we found out that our instincts were correct on one thing.”

“What’s that?” Liz asked.

Michael gestured with his head in Max’s direction and states “Not only is Maxamillion our leader, he’s supposed to be our king.”

Liz and Maria were both struck dumb.

Alex, always coming to the rescue of dumbstruck females, replied and said “That’s very interesting, but where does that leave you and Isabel?”

Isabel came over to where Alex was now standing and said, “Guess what Alex, I’m a princess!”

Alex muttered under his breath “I already knew that…”

Michael spoke up, “What was that Whitman?” while trying to hide a smirk.

Isabel not hearing what he said, spoke up “What? What did I miss?!”

Michael quickly broke in. “Nothing important.” While still trying to hide his amusement “ Anyway Whitman, in answer to your question, I’m supposed to be the leader of Max’s armies.”

Alex clapped him on the shoulder and said “So your blowing up things is good for something, huh?”

Michael’s smile quickly faded and he stated “Touching.”

To which Alex replied. “Sorry…” and whipped his hand down.

Maria just shrugged her shoulders and states “He’s hopeless!” gesturing at Michael.

Isabel giggled at that and then said “Well, we still have a lot to find out , and CAN you guys PLEASE save it for later??” This was said in the direction of Max and Liz who were getting cozy in a booth since Michael and Isabel were busy distracted with Alex and Maria.

Max just rolled his eyes and went back to kissing Liz.

Isabel just gave her brother a sideways glance with her slanted eyes and started talking to Maria.

While everyone in the restaurant was distracted, no one noticed one curly haired blonde slipping into the café.

Tess looked around the aptly named café and while no one noticed, started listening to the conversations. She had been walking home, unable to find Kyle at the Carnival, and saw the pod squad in the café and wondered what could her new alien friends possibly be doing looking so cozy with a bunch of humans. She figured she’d hang back, leaning up against the back wall, and wait to be noticed. She heard Isabel first talking to Maria.

“When she first came up to me and Max, she said something like “Purple skies, lakes, and blue grass…or something. It was kinda freaky.”

Tess, all of a sudden, wondered if she was dreaming…

Michael was talking to Alex and was saying “She doesn’t seem like a threat at all, but we need to talk to her more and find our more information from her.”

Tess shook her head as if to clear it, and could not believe what she was hearing. All of her feelings of peace and friendship she had felt for these people were slowly slipping away…she thought to herself “This can’t be happeing…!”

Just as she saw Max making out with a girl she had seen from school, her emotional dam burst.

“You TRAITORS!” She screamed “You have betrayed me!!” Without another word she ran out of the café.

Michael began to run after her but as soon as he got out the front door, she had disappeared. He ran back inside.

“Didn’t you guys tell her about us?” Maria asked to anyone in the pod squad.

“We were going to…” Isabel began “but since it was getting late, and we knew we’d have a lot of explaining to do, we thought we’d save it for tomorrow.”

“Oh great, a crazy, angry alien on the loose, just what we need” Alex stated while throwing up his hands.

“Alex, calm down, we’ll find her and explain.” Isabel stated.

Michael spoke up and said “I’ll get to the Valenti’s and see if she’s there.”

Max walked over to Michael and said “No Michael, take Isabel and start searching near here. There are a lot of places to hide, and we need to find her as soon as possible. Besides, the Sheriff still doesn’t know Tess is an alien, so I need to explain that to him too.”

Michael gave his usual sarcastic salute and replied “Yes sir, whatever you say.”

Max then looked at Alex and stated, “Can you take Maria home?”

“Wait, Wait, Wait” Maria broke in with her hand in a stop gesture, “I’m staying right here with Liz…safety in numbers and all that.”

“Don’t worry Max” Alex said “I’ll stay with the girls and make sure they are ok.”

Liz piped up “Hey I can take care of myself, I want to go with You Max!”

“Liz, it’s too dangerous, please just stay here with Alex and Maria. I promise I’ll call you as soon as we track down Tess.”

“Okaaay…” she said, while looking down “…but I don’t like this.”

“I’m sorry Liz, we have to do this.” Max replied.

Michael walked over to the door and said “Come ON, we are wasting time, let’s go!”

“I’ll call you as soon as I can” Max said to Liz.

Liz gave Max a quick peck on the cheek and a small hug and then they were gone.

“Well ladies, what do you want to do now?” Alex asked.

Maria looked scared out of her mind, and Liz stated. “Well, we can at least check all around the crashdown and make sure she’s not around here.”

“Oh, no” Maria said, “Max said to stay put, and if I have to sit on you myself, you are not stepping foot out of this restaurant.”

“Fine” Liz stated. “Well, Alex, how do you feel about a make over?”

Alex’s face turned a little whiter than usual and he pleaded with them “You girls aren’t going to put me in a face mask again and paint my toenails are you???”

This changed the mood, and the girls looked at each other and then at him with menacing smiles.