Max & Liz A New... (CC,M/L,MATURE) Ch 24f - 05/26 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

RoswellJunky
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by RoswellJunky »

Chapter 18E--Week 3

Max fidgeted in his chair.

He was in his second period history class.

How long can a teacher go on about the stupid Neapolianic Wars?

Mr. Fairmont's colorless voice droned on and on.

And on.

His voice like a steady machine in a factory workshop. Hummming away in the background. Heard, but never really listened to.

Max sighed and drew circles on his notebook.

Come on, Isabel! Call me! What have you found out?

Isabel sat on her bed, and looked at Liz Parker's yearbook picture.

She had never understood her brother's fascination with 'Miss Plain Jane Parker.'

The girl rarely wore makeup. She never dressed in the latest styles.

Isabel stared.

Still. . .

She had kept their secret.

Except for Maria, of course. Isabel raised her eyebrows.

And the girl did love her brother.

And she had gotten them out of a jam or two.

Isabel became determined.

All right Miss Elizabeth Parker. Where are you? And what's going on?

Isabel touched the picture and watched as it wavered slightly.

Then, she laid down, and let herself relax.

Max weaved his way between students on his way to Councilor Burn's office. He figured, maybe the councilor had another phone number where Liz could be reached. After all, it was through Burns that Dr. Holt had contacted Liz.

"Hey! Max!" Maria's voice called out to him as she raced to catch-up with him.

He stopped and turned.

"Hey, Maria," he said.

She was out of breath by the time she reached him. "Where in the world are you going to so fast?" She asked, breathing hard.

Max didn't want to worry Maria. Excluding Isabel, he hadn't told anyone else about his dreams. There was no reason to get Maria concerned, too. She had enough to worry about with Michael.

"I was on my way to Biology class," Max lied.

"Isn't it in the other direction," Maria said pointing down the hall in the opposite direction.

Crap!

"I. . .I was just going to go get something from the vending machine, first," Max stammered.

Maria wagged her finger at him and teased, "Tisk, tisk! Just because Liz is away doesn't mean that you should start eating junk-food to compensate for your loneliness."

Max laughed. Mostly in relief that she didn't catch on to his lie.

"Now, Max," Maria looped her arm through his and started leading him towards his Bio class, "My job as Liz's best friend is," she started to count on her fingers, "Number One--Make sure no other chicks try and steel you while Liz is away getting herself better educated."

And to demonstrate, Maria gave another 'Max gawker' a dirty look.

Then, she looked up at an obvious Max. He really has no idea, does he? Maria thought.

Max snorted at Maria's comment. Yea, right! Like any other girl could compare to Liz!

"What's number two," Max asked.

"Number two--Make sure no other chicks try and steel you while Liz is away getting herself better educated."

Max laughed. "Let me guess what number three is."

"I think you've got the idea," Maria grinned.

They enjoyed a good laugh as they walked down the hall.

Then, Max, turning serious, asked, "Maria, have you heard from Liz?"

Maria looked up at him. "Si! She left a message on my answering machine yesterday. Why?"

Max felt some measure of relief.

"What did she say? How is she? What has she been doing? How did she sound? Tired? Worried? Did she ask about me?" Max babbled on.

"She just left a message that she was sorry that she missed me. And she'd try back later," Maria said. Confused by his reaction.

"Oh."

"Max? Is everything OK?" Maria asked.

"Sure! Sure!" Max said overly brightly. "I just miss her. That's all."

They walked in silence for a moment.

"By the way," Max's lip quirked, changing the subject. "What was that bet you and Michael made?"

They had reached his classroom.

Maria just grinned, "I don't kiss and tell."

"So,'it' involved kissing?"

"Hhhmmmm. Could be. Could be," Maria teased.

He pointed his finger at Maria, "I'll find out one day, young lady."

Maria just smiled and flounced away towards her own class.

Max, with a huge grin on his face and feeling slightly better about the whole situation, opened the door to his AP Biology class, and walked in.

Isabel's relaxed on her bed as she entered the dream world.

She walked on clouds, and there was nothing but sky all around her.

The color blue went as far as the eye could see.

She hopped from one cloud to the next. Not sure what was holding her up. The clouds didn't feel like there was anything substantial beneath them.

She giggled as she bounced up and down on one, seeing if she would break through the thin, invisible layer of 'whatever' was holding her up.

I'm not in anybody's dream. Isabel thought.

She didn't know how she knew this. She just did.

Instead she was on some plain or dimension, or 'whatever' between reality and the dream world.

What do I do now? Isabel wondered.

This had never happened before. She had always been able to enter into the dreams she wanted.

Maybe Liz was just too far away?

But it was certainly nice here.

Drifting on clouds.

Maybe I'll bring Alex here, someday.

Isabel lay down on a cloud and felt more comfortable and secure than she had ever felt in her life.

Was it possible to fall asleep in your own dream?

Isabel giggled at the thought. Who cares?

And for the next hour she enjoyed her new found 'Land In-Between Dreams.'

She looked up at the clouds and she discovered she could 'think' the clouds into images she wanted.

She turned one into a horse, then a rabbit, a frog, and then a dog.

A lamb.

A giraffe.

A tiger.

A lion.

She giggled.

She sang.

She danced.

And for the first time in her life, she was free.

But freedom never lasts for long. And in a moment of conscience, she remembered what she was here to do.

A door suddenly appeared on one of the clouds.

A door?

With fluffy whiteness all around it.

'The Door' was far off. She was going to have to jump, hop and skip on many clouds to reach it.

Isabel could see that light was trying to escape around the frame of the door.

Were there more wonders through that door? What else was waiting for her in this 'Land In-Between Dreams?'

I have to come up with a better name for this place.

So, Isabel started hopping from cloud to cloud. Anxious to see what new possibilities waited for her behind the closed door.

"Hey, Missy," Max said as he put his books away beneath their lab table.

"Hey, Max," She responded absently. She was staring at one of the test tubes that had a funny dark-blue liquid in it.

"What's that?" he asked.

"The next assignment in our book," she said and looked up. She smiled. "Thought I'd get started."

"Trying to impress the new teacher, huh?" Max joked. Maria's teasing had put him in a more lighthearted mood.

Missy blushed and laughed. "She is a college professor. Wouldn't hurt to get noticed."

Max smiled and opened his Bio book to their next assignment.

Suddenly, he felt a blast of white, hot energy slam into his body, and he gasped. He had to hold on to the desk to keep from falling to the ground.

What the hell. . .!!!!!

Little spots of color and light started to dance before his eyes.

"Max! Max! Are you all right," Missy had heard his gasp and could see he was hanging on to the desk for dear life.

He couldn't answer.

He looked up, as Dr. Serina Bryce walked into the room.

She was almost there. She could see the golden knob on the door and the shiny angel knocker.

One, two, buckle my shoe!

Three, four, shut the door!

Five, six, pick up sticks!

Isabel sang the childhood rhyme as she hopped from cloud to cloud until she was directly in front of the door.

Just one cloud hop away.

The light beams shining from the cracks around the door frame were pearl white.

If they were to shine directly into your eyes, they'd blind you. Isabel thought.

She wasn't on the last cloud that disappeared beneath the door. But she was close enough. It was a big door, and she wanted to make sure she left enough room for it to open completely.

She reached out and turned the knob.

It didn't budge.

It wouldn't turn left nor right. So, she tried just pulling on it. But that didn't work either.

She released the knob and huffed in frustration.

Maybe I should knock. After all, it's rude to just walk in univited.

Isabel reached over and grabbed the heavy angel knocker with both hands and used it to bang on the door three times.

The bangs were so loud, they shook the door.

Some one had to have heard that!

But at first, she heard nothing from behind the door. Just stillness. Then, she heard what sounded like scurrying sounds. Like someone trying to cleanup their house before they let an unexpected guest come in. Then, silence.

Then more silence.

Isabel let out a frustrated sound and grabbed the knob and pulled with all her might. The door started to creak open, but slipped out of her hands and slammed shut as if on a strong spring.

Determination set in Isabel's jaw line.

I am opening that damn door! No matter what!

Again, she grabbed the knob, stepped forward on the cloud supporting 'the door'.

And promptly, fell through.

Isabel woke with a start.

Startled out of her dream world, she looked around her room as if seeing it for the first time.

What the hell is going on?

After taking several deep breaths, Max's vision cleared, and he was able to stand on his own.

Pushing himself away from his desk, he gave Missy a reassuring smile, and with shaking hands, he finished opening his book.

But he was badly shaken.

What the hell had just happened?!

"Good morning class. I'm Dr. Bryce," Serena's voice was steady and firm with a no nonsense attitude. "Mrs. Becker has given me the itinerary for the class, and I need to warn you that I intent to follow it to the letter! So, no falling behind. If you are having trouble in any area of this class, I suggest you come up and talk to me after this lesson."

As she talked, she walked down the aisle. When she came flush with Max's desk, she froze. But only for a moment. Then, she continued.

"Open your books to page 89 and we'll get started on the next assignment. . ." And she continued as she walked back to the front of the class.

Max watched Dr. Bryce as she worked at the chalkboard and talked with her students.

She deliberately avoided looking his way.

He worked on the assignment with Missy, but at the end of the class, much to his chagrin, he realized that Missy had done most of the work.

Missy didn't seem to mind.

As they put away their items, Dr. Bryce packed up her briefcase and made a hasty retreat.

Max watched her leave.

Through out his life, Max's alieness had made him very unsure about a lot of things in this very human world. But there was one thing he was absolutely sure of.

Serena Bryce was an alien.

But was she friend or foe?

Chapter 19A--Week 4

Maria rewound the tape and hit the play button.

She laid back in her bed as she replayed Liz's message.

"Hi! It's Liz! Sorry, I missed ya!"

Her friend's 'over-bright', 'over-perky' voice made Maria's stomach turn. Sort of like when Marsha Tucker (teachers' pet) sucked up to one her respective teachers.

Gag-a-Maga.

"How are things going with Michael? Is he still being a jerk? Well, that's just Michael, I guess?"

Maria scowled as Liz laughed hysterically at her own statement.

What was with the that!? Only I can call Michael a jerk.

"Well, gotta run. Can't ask Dr. Holt to pay a big long-distance telephone charge. Bye!"

Maria sighed as she heard the sound of the dial tone. As a going away present, Maria had jokingly given Liz a prepaid phone card.

Why doesn't she just use it?

And more importantly, why would Liz call her on a Wednesday night? Liz knew, Maria worked every Wednesday night at The Crashdown.

At first, Maria hadn't thought much about Liz's message----how strange it sounded nor its timing. But Max had reacted so strangely. Maria knew he missed Liz, but his reaction was just so . . . overkill.

So, she had come home from school, and rewound her answering machine and played the message over and over.

And the more she played it, the weirder it got.

Serina sat in the teachers' break-room, eating an apple. She was becoming very fond of her daily treat. Every morning, she came into her classroom, and found another apple with another note.

Today's note said:
Roses are Red.
Violets are Blue.
Haven't I said,
I'd like to meet you!!

Serina smiled. OK. So his notes were a little corny. But she didn't mind.

They were corny . . . but cute.

And it was nice to have an admirer.

In the past, she had dated------but mostly for appearances. To the human world, she had to make her life as normal as possible.

But she had never really been interested.

She had a job to do. A mission to complete.

And besides, most of the guys she had dated only wanted one thing.

Sex!

But now, she was being romanced.

Well, sort of.

I think I like this.

They still hadn't spoken to each other. But there had been glances as they passed each other in the halls.

It was a fun, sexy game.

Serina moistened her lips at the thought and took another bite of her Tabasco drenched apple.

"Mmmmmmmmmmmmm."

"I've never seen anyone like apples as much as you do," Mr. Burns said with a grin as he seated himself across from her.

"Well, you know what they say. An apple a day. . ." Serina let the sentence trail off as she chewed on her last bite.

Serina liked Burns. He was one of the few African-Americans in Roswell. And some people found him intimidating. Not because he was black, but because his broad shoulders and six-foot, 4-inch frame made him look like a former defensive guard for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Actually, he was an easy man to talk to. And he truly cared for the kids at Roswell High. He showed concern for each and every one of his students. He could tell you almost anything about each one of them.

Which schools they had come from.

What clubs they were in.

Weather they were troublemakers, class clowns, 'A' students.

Whose parents were involved in the PTA.

Which gave Serina another reason to get to know him. . . he was a gold-mine of information.

Mr. Burn's deep laugh made Serina smile.

"I don't think you have doctors in mind when you eat those apples," he teased her.

Serina blushed.

Oh, for heaven's sake!! Am I really that obvious?

As Serina's face got redder, Mr. Burn's chuckle turned into a hearty laugh.

Serina decided to tease him back. "So, you're laughing at me now, . . ." Serina paused, "Guntheri . . ."

Mr. Burns stopped laughing, but he still had a grin on his face, "Hey!! You said you wouldn't tell anyone! I didn't ask for that name you know!" He put up his hands in surrender. "I'm completely innocent. It was aaaallll my Mama's fault."

"How typical," Serina teased. "Blame everything on your parents . . ."

They shared a good laugh.

"So, how was your first week at Roswell High," Burns asked.

This is my chance. Serina thought to herself. Time to start digging for that information.

"Mostly, everything has been going very well. I just have a few questions to ask about some of the students," Serina said.

"Oh!" Mr. Burns was a little surprised. He didn't normally have trouble with students in his AP classes.

She asked the obvious questions first.

She asked about Tommy Lane, aka 'Mr. Can't Pay Attention Because I'm Too Busy Looking at My Partner's Legs.' "I swear, if he ever puts as much energy into his projects as he does into looking at Katie's legs, he'd be a certified genius," Serina huffed.

Burns laughed and said, "They're just at that age. . ."

And the talk went on.

One student who was having trouble getting to class on time.

Another who was having problems with the academics of AP Biology.

"What about this student in Sweden? When is she going to be back," Serina asked. She had looked over Mrs. Becker's notes about Elizabeth Parker. She didn't impress easily, but Serina had to hand it to this Parker girl. She definitely was going to make something of herself in the world of science.

Serina looked forward to meeting her.

"Liz is studying with Dr. Laura Holt. She'll be back around mid-December," Mr. Burns replied.

"The Doctor Laura Holt!" Serina was shocked.

Wow! Now she was definitely impressed.

"You know Dr. Holt?"

"Not personally. I've heard her speak a few times. She's quite famous in the world of Science. She's even cured a few diseases."

"Well, Liz Parker is Roswell's own aspiring scientist. She really admires Dr. Holt. Wrote her some letters, so Dr. Holt invited her to her lab in Sweden to show her the ropes. So to speak."

"All the way to Sweden!" Serina was still amazed. Then, she huffed. "Dr. Holt must get paid a lot more than I did as a college professor to have her own place in Sweden."

Burns frowned slightly. "I thought Dr. Holt was from Sweden."

"Nope. She's an all American girl. Grew up in Idaho, I think," Serina said taking a drink from her coffee.

"Hhhmmmm." Burns had a distant look on his face for a moment.

Serina looked at the clock over vending machine. She didn't have a lot of time left.

Must ask the question. . .

"Also," she stated as casually as she could, "I'd like to know more about Max Evans."

"They're dating," Burns said his mind occupied.

Funny. I had his complete attention a moment ago.

"Excuse me?"

Burns collected himself and turned back to Serina.

"Max Evans and Liz Parker. They're dating."

Serina felt her eyes go round, and her heart start to pound.

That . . .

was not

. . . good.

Serina cleared her throat, took a deep breath to try and slow her panicked heart rate, and asked as casually as she could, "How serious is their relationship?"

Burns had to chuckle. "Well, . . . you know kids."

Serina was literally on the edge of her seat.

"No, I'm afraid I don't. Why don't you tell me," she couldn't quite keep the sound of panic out of her voice.

Burns frowned at Serina's reaction.

"Well, most teachers who have had both students in their class have seen Max moon over Liz Parker for ages."

Shit!!!

" . . . .they've been caught in the eraser room couple of times . . . ."

Shit! Shit! Shit! Shit!

" . . . one teacher said that she became concerned when Max stared so long at Liz that he hadn't blinked the entire class period . . ."

"How long has this been going on?"

Burns paused, surprised at her abrupt interruption.

"Rumor has it that he's had a crush on her since 3rd grade . . ."

Double Shit!

The fourth period bell rang signaling an end to lunch.

"I have to go," Serina hastily picked up her purse and briefcase. She tossed the half eaten apple away, forgetting why it was so special.

"Serina . . ."

"Can't be late for class. Must fill all those brains with science, theorems, knowledge . . ." Serina babbled as she quickly walked out the door.

Serina marched down Roswell High, muttering every swear word she could think of.

This was not supposed to happen. Getting involved with humans was not part of the plan. What was Zan thinking!!!?? And where the HELL was their idiot protector? Why was he letting this happen?

Serina let out a sound of frustration.

When I find that stupid shape-shifter, I'm was going to give him the once over!! I never liked the creep to begin with. The coward had only cared what he got out of protecting the king. He had never cared about the fact that their entire planet and thousands of lives hung in the balance!!!!

Oh, nnnnnoooooooooooooooo. All that stupid, cowardly, idiotic, moronic, doofus-faced, shape-shifter had cared about was his reward for taking care of the king.

Serina walked into her empty classroom and threw her stuff down on the desk.

She took several calming breaths.

She sat heavily down into her chair as some of her anger drained out her. She rubbed the bridge of her nose and told herself to calm down. There wasn't anything she could do to change the situation.

Their king had found his queen.

And Liz Parker was in terrible danger.

*********************************************************************************

Burns walked into his office and headed directly to his filing cabinet. He squatted down and opened the third drawer marked O-R.

"Parker, Parker. . ." he muttered to himself.

He was so intent on looking for Liz's file, that he didn't hear the foot falls behind him.

"What the hell are you doing in my files!" Marge said in her drill sergeant voice. Burns hastily stood up and turned to look at his secretary. Realizing he had just committed the ultimate crime, he stepped away and put up his hands in surrender. The file cabinet was Marge's territory--and you ventured in at your own risk.

He said, "Uh, I need Liz Parker's file." He pause as Marge raised her eyebrows. "Please?"

Burns stepped back as Marge marched up to her file cabinet. She squatted and opened the bottom drawer. Muttering to herself, she began to search.

As she looked through her files, Burns gave in to a childish urge he'd had for years and made monster faces behind her back. He put his arms out and made what his Mama used to call his 'Frankenstein' face. Then, he clawed his hands above her head and rolled his eyes and bared his teeth.

"Here it is!" Marge grabbed the file and slammed the file drawer shut as if to lock out any further intruders. She stood up and turned to her very innocent looking boss and handed him the file.

"Where was it," Burns asked, confused.

"It was filed under Science Club, sir," Marge explained.

"Science Club! Is that how you file everything?!"

"Of course, sir."

"What if a student doesn't belong to any club?"

"Every student should belong to a club, sir," Marge replied. And promptly marched out.

Burns just threw up his hands in frustration. I'll never understand that woman. And he didn't have time to figure her out right now.

He walked behind his desk and sat down. He opened up Liz Parker's school file. The very first thing in her file, was the permission slip signed by her father for the school board to send his daughter to study with one Dr. Laura Holt.

Burns and Mr. Parker had spoken with Dr. Holt over the phone. She had reassured them Liz would be looked after and that she would be in bed every night by 11pm.

Burns smiled as he thought about Mr. Parker's very serious face as he made the last condition. It was nice to see a parent so involved in his kids life. Too often, Burns saw the other side----parents, (especially fathers) who didn't give a big rip about their kids or their education.

He turned to the next page that gave all the information about how to reach Dr. Holt--the name and address of her place in Sweden.

Burns picked up the phone and dialed for international long-distance.

[q]ScientistExtraordinar writes to ExtraterrestrialGuy:

Max! Hi! So sorry I haven't written, emailed, or called! Dr. Holt has been keeping me busy! Lot's of science stuff to learn. I tried calling Maria, but she wasn't home. Wrote to Mom and Dad. Lot's to do. Can't get caught on the computer. Have to see if Zan is OK. Oooopppssss!!! LOL!! Zan's the BIG science secret around here! Can't tell anyone about Zan! I miss you. I'm so tired. [/q]

Max stared at his screen--a frown on his brow.

"What the hell is a Zan," Michael asked reading over Max's shoulder.

"I have no idea Michael," Max made a sound of frustration. "She's not even using complete sentences."

"She did say she was tired, Max," Isabel tried unsuccessfully to sound positive. The note was a little weird.

A look of determination crossed Max's face. He'd had enough of this. Something was wrong. She hadn't called. She barely emailed.

That was just not Liz.

He turned from his computer and looked at Isabel sitting on his bed. "Isabel, I want you to dreamwalk Liz again," he said.

"Max, I told you what happened. . ."

"I don't care! Try again!"

Isabel sat up straighter on Max's bed, "Don't order me around, Max!"

"Isabel. . ." Max's voice warned.

"Hey, guys," Michael came in-between them, ". . .come on now, don't make me play the part of peace keeper here. Things are weird enough already."

Isabel and Max eyed each other until Isabel huffed and flounced off the bed and made her way to her own room.

"It's not a good idea to piss off Is," Michael warned Max.

"I'm past caring at this point, Michael. At the moment, I'm ready to get on a plane and go to Sweden."

"Like your parent's would let you."

Max sighed and turned back towards Liz's email message.

There was a moment of silence as they both reread the note.

"So, tell me again about this Dr. Bryce," Michael said changing the subject.

"I'm not sure there's much to tell. I got this blast of . . .energy. . . just before she walked into the classroom. When I saw her, I knew she was different, like us. I just knew."

"But she hasn't talked to you?"

"No, she avoids looking at me or even letting me answer questions in class," Max said.

"I'll check her out," Michael said.

"Michael. . ."

"I mean, I'll go to Valenti and we'll check her out," Michael amended.

"You are not to break into her apartment, Michael."

Michael sighed. "Ok, I won't break into her apartment."

"Promise?"

Michael lifted his right hand and put his left hand on Max's Biology book, "I swear on this school Biology book, that I will not break into Serena Bryce's apartment."

Max looked doubtful.

Burns slammed down the phone in frustration. For two hours he'd tried to contact Dr. Holt in Sweden.

Without success.

He sighed and leaned back in his chair. It was the middle of the night in Sweden.

Still . . .

He had let the phone ring and ring and ring. Then, on his tenth try he finally got an answering machine.

Dr. Holt's voice had come on the phone asking the caller to leave a message and a phone number and the nature of the call.

Burns had done just those things. He specifically asked for Liz Parker to call him back. He and the school were eager to know of her progress in Sweden.

Or so he told them.

The truth was that he was worried about Elizabeth Parker.

His conversation with Serina came back to him . . .

[q] . . . all American girl. Grew up in Idaho. . .[/q]

If Laura Holt grew up in Idaho, then why did she have a Swedish accent?

Chapter 19B-Week 4

Serina pulled into her regular parking space at the Desert Oasis Apartment Complex, and shut off roar of the motorcycle's engine.

There's nothing like the sound of well built engine, Serina thought to herself.

She climbed off her bike and headed towards the entrance.

Tonight, it's a little dinner, then a nice long hot bath to help me relax.

She had a lot to think about. She had spent most of her earthly life looking for Zan, his family and his Second. But now that she had found them, she wasn't quite sure what to do next. She knew Zan, (or Max as he's called now) was aware of her 'alieness', but he had not approached her.

She reached her apartment door. Before she put her key in the lock she heard the sound of something breaking inside her apartment.

Chapter 19B-Week 4

Michael felt a little guilty. . .

He'd promised Max he wouldn't do this. . . .

But when Sheriff Valinte's investigation turned up nothing significant, he knew he had to take matters into his own hands.

It was always up to him. . .

The police report had read . . .

[q]Serina Ann Bryce

Born: April 21, 1967
Place: Phoenix, AZ
DMV Vital Statistics: Ht' 6ft 1in;
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Brown
Weight: 150lb
No record of citations
Education: Baylor University--Major: Human Biological Sciences with a Minor in Human Physiology Graduate Student-Honors
Current Address: Desert Oasis Apartment Complex
55215 Juno Street
Apt. 12
Roswell, NM 88202[/q]

All the information Valenti had come up with was interesting, but hardly satisfying.

Michael figured it wasn't just curiosity that led Bryce to Human Physiology and Physiological studies.

Serina Bryce wanted to know as much about humans as possible.

So, here he was. All it took was a little alien power, and he let himself into Apartment #12.

Michael looked around at the ultra neat apartment. It made him think of Liz and the few times he had been in her room.

Were all scientists so anal about having a place for everything? Why did they have to keep everything so damn neat?

He sighed and looked around the living room.

It wasn't too bad. The black leather couch was OK.

The coffee table had magazines neatly stacked between a candy dish and a candle holder. He picked up the small stack and took note of their titles.

Science Today.

BioTech.

Human Physiology Magazine.

He froze in surprise when he came to a magazine simply titled Harley.

He flipped through several pages and found certain machines circled. Some had the word 'Cool!' writen in the margins while others were 'X'ed out with a thumbs down drawing sketched on the page.

She liked Harleys, huh. Well, at least she was a cool alien.

He put the science magazines back on the coffee table and kept the Harley Mag. He flipped through the pages as he headed to the kitchen and went directly to the fridge. As he opened the door, he wasn't surprised to see rows and rows of Tobacco sauce. She also had other foods . . . lettus. . .tomatoes. . .baloney. . .milk . . .

And apples. . .

Three plastic bags filled with them.

Can one person eat that many apples before they go bad?

His stomach growled.

He reached in and helped himself to a couple. She won't miss a few. Anyway, sustenance is needed when 'breaking and entering'.

Holding a couple apples in one hand, he reached for a Tabasco bottle.

Standing up straight, he nearly jumped out of his skin as he felt a hand grab his left shoulder.

Dropping the bottle and apples, ignoring the sound of breaking glass, he raised his hand--ready to defend himself.

"I thought I told you not to come here," Max said taking a step back.

"Shit! Max!" Michael's yelled, eyes bugged out. Then, he lowered his voice to a hissing whisper. "What the hell are you trying to do? Scare the crap out of me?"

"If only I could."

"How the hell did you get in here, anyway?"

"Same way you did. Would you mind putting your hand down? That thing's loaded and I don't want it pointed at me."

Michael hastily lowered his hand.

"If you didn't want me to break into her apartment, then why are you here breaking and entering?"

"Because, I knew you'd come anyway. I figure if we both look around, I can get you out of here faster without too much trouble. But what do I find? You. Raiding her fridge."

"I was hungry."

"Then, eat something before you break into someone's apartment next time!"

Serina watched the exchange from the corner of her kitchen with a smirk on her face. She rarely used this power. She didn't like to abuse her gifts. But they were useful for survival purposes.

However, she practiced using them often in private to keep her 'Alien' gifts in top form. After all, it was her 'assignment'----her 'goal'----to teach her King and Second how to use their powers.

How to become warriors and defend their people.

She just wondered how they'd react to the fact that they could become invisible.
RoswellJunky
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by RoswellJunky »

Chapter 20-Week 4

Serina watched as Michael reached out his hand over the broken Tabasco bottle. She felt the energy pour out of his hand, and the pieces of glass began to hum and vibrate. Then, the glass and Tabasco juice flew off the floor and hovered in midair.

Next, the shards of glass and sauce began slowly turning around and around--like a whirlwind. As the whirlwind moved faster and faster, the bottle began to put itself back together until all the pieces were back in place with the Tabasco sauce housed inside.

So. They do know how to use some of their powers. Serina thought.

Then, noticing the object under Michael's other arm, Hey! What the hell does he think he's doing with my Harley Mag?

Max grabbed the bottle from the air and set it on the kitchen counter.

He turned to Michael, "Neat trick, now put her apples back."

"Aawww, Maaaxx."

Max just pointed at the fridge. Michael huffed, opened the door, and tossed the apples back inside. He started to reach for the Tobacco bottle . . .

"Michael! Don't put that back in there, the sauce has been all over the floor!"

Michael looked down at the linoleum, "It's clean," he pointed out.

Serina rolled her eyes.

"Don't be gross, Michael," Max replied. He took the bottle and tossed into the trash can.

He turned to Michael, "Why don't you take a look in her bedroom. AWAY from the kitchen. I'll check out here."

"For what?"

Max threw up his hands in exasperation, "I don't know! What do you usually look for, when you mill around in other alien's apartments?"

Michael stomped out of the kitchen, "You don't have to be so sarcastic you know!"

Max watched him disappear into Serina's bedroom.

I don't believe this! Max thought.

Taking a deep breath, Max scanned the apartment.

Couch. . .

Television. . .

Table. . .

Desk. . .

Desk!

He made his way over to her desk and began opening drawers. As he searched through the contents, he didn't find anything unusual. Just papers, bills, insurance. . .

Serina watched Max from her kitchen. She didn't follow him into the living area of her apartment. The carpet would show her footprints. And she didn't want herself revealed just yet.

She wasn't too happy about Michael searching around in her bedroom, but she let it go.

For now.

Max turned from the desk and scanned the room once more.

Just what the hell are we supposed to be looking for?

Michael came and stood in the door of Serina's bedroom. "Find anything?" He asked.

Max shook his head, brow furrowed.

"You, find anything," Max asked as he looked at Michael.

"Just lacy underwear and pushup bras," Michael replied.

Serina's face flamed.

Max gave Michael a look.

"What!?" Michael looked offended. "Underwear drawer is were most people hide their secrets."

Max sighed, "This is pointless. What if we did find something? What would we do with it anyway? Go to the police?"

"This alien might be dangerous, Max. . ."

Serina watched the two as they bantered back and forth.

Zan . . . Max was King. But he obviously was not in charge of the situation.

And Michael obviously wasn't a follower.

Serina sighed. Those two needed a lot of work. Obviously they didn't know the meaning of the words 'team work'.

And Serina knew that alien 'superpowers' just weren't enough to save their people.

". . .approach her and ask her who she is. . ."

"Max, what if she blasts you!"

"She won't in a public place. . ."

Serina decided it was time to make her presences known. "Are you sure about that Max?"

Max and Michael jumped in surprise at the sound of her voice.

"What the hell. . ." Michael raised hand, ready to defend himself. His eyes searched the empty apartment. But he saw nothing.

"Are you really sure that I'm not dangerous, Max," Serina taunted her king.

Max also had his hand raised, ready to deploy his shield.

"Who are you," Max demanded. He tried to sound authoritative and commanding. But his voice quivered slightly.

"You already know who I am, Max," Max and Michael swung around in surprise as the voice came from behind them.

"You hear my voice everyday," Serina continued.

"H . . . how are you doing that? What are you," Michael asked the empty air.

"I'm just like you, Rath," Serina whispered into Michael's ear, making him jump sky-high.

He swung around and stepped back.

"You're an alien. But are you like us? Are you here as a friend or an enemy," Max demanded, his voice was a little stronger. He and Michael had their backs to each other, hands out.

"You tell me, Max. You are the king. Are you not?"

"Look, I don't know what kind of sick game you're playing. . ."

Serina closely watched them. They were covering each other's back and slowly circling her apartment, waiting for the next sound of her voice.

Not a bad move.

For amateurs.

It made for a good start in their training.

But Serina had a few more tests for them. She released just a little of her energy.

And gave Max just a little shock.

Max and Michael were astonished to see a small lightening-bolt come out of nowhere and strike Max in his forearm.

Max cried out more in surprise than from actual pain, and he reached around with his other hand and covered the new wound.

"Max!" Michael cried out.

Enraged, Michael felt his alien side take over. He felt a fiery sensation begin at the base of his neck and run down his arm and out from his hand releasing a blast of energy.

Serina cringed as the vase on her small kitchen table shattered into a thousand pieces.

Then, her television exploded.

O swell!

"You're not even aiming in the right directions, Rath," she taunted. She let another lightening bolt strike Michael, using a little more power this time.

That was a freaking new television!

Her power struck Michael in the his thigh, and he collapsed to his knees.

Max stepped in front of him, raised his hand and deployed his shield.

Whoa! Now, that is cool! Serina thought. She had never seen anybody do that before!

"Come on Michael! Get up! We have to get out of here! Can you move?"

Michael grimaced as pain shot up and down his right thigh. He tried to stand only to fall back to his knees, "Can't make it," Michael said in a choked whisper. "Leave without me. . ."

"I won't leave you here, Michael!"

Serina rolled her eyes. Oh, puleeeaaassseee!

"Enough with the dramatics, boys," Serina slowly let herself be seen. Her form slowly took shape before their astonished eyes.

"You guys are pretty pathetic," she told them. Her form wavered through Max's green shield.

"Although the shield thing is cool," she continued. "What kind of forces can it stand against?"

Max shrugged and gave Serina a suspicious look, "I don't know."

Serina had to fight not to roll her eyes again, "You mean you haven't practiced or even been curious as to what it can do?"

"I haven't exactly had time to try it out," Max replied, aggravated, "Who are you? What do you want?"

Serina was silent for a moment. Willing Max to bring his defenses down.

Michael staggered to his feet.

Max drew in his shield.

Then, Serina spoke. . .

"What I want, is my king back. And my people free."

Max and Michael just looked at her, thunderstruck.

Serina sighed.

"And that means, I . . .we have a lot of work to do."

Chapter 21-Week 5

Serina stood in the middle of Michael's apartment and surveyed the aliens and humans who surrounded her.

Kyle and Maria sat on Michael's couch, mouths gaping, astonished that one of their teachers was an alien.

Max stood behind and to the right of Serina. He watched her closely, still suspicious.

Isabel sat on the arm of Michael's overstuffed chair. She wasn't sure she liked this new alien. Isabel was used to being the only female alien. She wasn't sure she was ready to share her hierarchy with another female.

Alex stood across from the couch on the other side of Serina. He could tell that Isabel was not happy.

Michael was in the kitchen raiding the fridge.

"Well? Is this it?" Serina threw her arms out wide, "or is the entire city of Roswell going to show up for this meeting?"

Serina was seriously freaking out.

She turned to Max, "Just how many humans know about us, Max? Who else did you guys tell?" Her voice rose, "The mayor? The student body president? The governor?"

Michael walked over and plopped down on the couch beside Maria, who gave him a dirty look for not even saying 'Hi' to her. His mouth was full of hot-dog and Tabasco, "Just the sheriff."

"The sheriff!!!" Serina screeched. "You guys involved the sheriff?!"

Shit!!!!!

"It's a long story," Max began to explain, but a knock at Michael's door interrupted him.

"Come in," Michael called out.

Sheriff Valenti walked in.

"I just cannot believe this. You guys got 'the law' involved in this? What were you thinking!" Serina yelled.

Valenti stopped in his tracks at Serina's abrupt attack on the people surrounding her.

"Look, I don't know what's going on here. . ." he began.

"A catastrophe, sheriff. That's what's going on here. A complete and total catastrophe."

"Serina if you'll just listen," Max started again. "We didn't just walk up to these people and say 'Hey, I'm an alien, will please keep it a secret'."

Serina sighed.

"OK. Begin at the beginning and don't stop till you get to the end."

She backed up so that she had a good view of them all as they talked.

Max began, "About a year ago, Michael and I were in the Crashdown when two guys started arguing very loudly. One of them pulled out a gun. . ."

Chapter 22-Week 5

(This scene happens around 9pm at Councilor Burns school office. And just for everyone's information, there are nine hours difference between New Mexico time and Swedish time.)

"The number you have dialed is no longer in service. . ."

Guntheri Burns slowly puts the phone down. Over the past few days, he had left several messages at the phone number that Dr. Holt had left him.

No one had returned his calls.

And the recorded message meant that, now, there was no way to reach Liz Parker.

He picked the phone up and dialed the number for the Roswell Sheriff Department.

Jeff Parker sighed in relief as he closed the front doors of The Crashdown, turned the OPEN sign to CLOSED, and turned the key in the lock.

"I thought those people would never leave," Nancy Parker said in exasperation.

Before Jeff could reply, they both heard the phone ring in the back.

While Nancy went to answer, Jeff moved behind the counter, grabbed the broom and began his nightly routine.

As he worked, his thoughts were far away.

Every corner of The Crashdown Cafe contained memories.

On this very floor, he had taught his daughter how to dance. When she was just 12, they had pushed tables aside, and she had stood on his feet as he taught her how to count her steps.

He had given her her first 'date' here. A 'Father's Date' where he had taught her how a gentleman should treat a lady on a date.

They had had many 'Father to Daughter' discussions over Alien Smoothies.

A sad smile touched his face as he thought about those moments.

They were gone now.

In the past.

And his baby girl was moving on into the adult world. Soon she would be going out into the world and make a life for herself. With a family of her own. A promising career that . . .

"Jeff," Nancy interrupted his thoughts. "Jeff, Councilor Burns just called. He's on his way over."

Jeff frowned, "Why? Is something wrong? Liz. . ."

Nancy's voice shook a little, "I don't know. He said he'd tell us when he got here. And he said that Sheriff Valenti is on his way too."

Jeff put his arm around his wife's shoulders and hugged her close, "It's probably just about those pranksters who spray painted graffiti all over our windows last month . . ."

"But why would a school councilor call us and not the police?"

"Burns probably heard something from one of his students," Jeff said quietly. He kissed her on the her forehead.

"I don't know, Jeff. I still think we shouldn't have sent her so far away. And every time she calls. She talks about this 'secret' experiment they are doing in Sweden. Our baby's just too young to be involved in any science stuff that's 'secretive'."

Jeff put on a brave front, "I'm sure it's just some 'corporate' secret. You know, like some new cough or allergy medicine. . ."

The phone began to ring again before he could finish his thought.

He gave Nancy one last squeeze before he left to answer the phone.

"Crashdown Cafe, how may we help you?"

Silence greeted him.

"Hello? This is the Crashdown Cafe. . . ."

Before he could finish, he heard the dial tone.

He slammed the phone back into it's cradle in frustration.

Some people were just so damn rude!
RoswellJunky
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by RoswellJunky »

Chapter 23--Week 5

After calling the Parkers, Burns hurried out to his car. He threw his briefcase in the back of his Toyota Carola and climbed in behind the wheel. Starting the engine, he made his way out on to the main street and headed for The Crashdown Cafe.

He wondered how he was going to inform the Parkers their only child was missing. And he felt so guilty. He remembered how Liz Parker's face had lit up when he had informed her about Holt's offer. And now it had all gone wrong.

But why?

Why would someone go to so much trouble to kidnap Liz Parker?

Burns pondered on this.

Liz Parker was a small town girl who lived a normal life, just like thousands of other All-American girls.

And yet. . .

He began to think of resent and past events.

Burns took special care to know about the lives of his students.

As a freshman, Liz Parker had been a shy girl. A direct opposite of her best friend, Maria De Luca.

He had often found it amusing to see them walk down the school's halls. Maria jabbering while Liz so patiently listened.

But if Liz was shy socially, in the classroom she was much more confident. All her teachers sang her praises. Her science teachers were especially impressed.

Then, during her sophomore year, things changed. She was still an "A" student, but her sphere of friends expanded. She started dating the Evans kid which also connected her with Isabel Evans and Michael Guerin.

Burns winced. He has suspected that the Guerin kid was being abused by his alcoholic foster dad. Burns had tried to do something about it, but it was hard without evidence. And Michael wouldn't talk about it. He had been relieved when the kid's "dad" had left town, and Michael had become emancipated.

Burns attention was diverted from his thoughts. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw a light. Checking his rearview mirror, he saw a pair of headlights baring down on him.

He put on his blinker and moved into the right hand lane to let the car pass.

The car followed him over to the right lane.

Burns moved back into the left lane, only to be followed again.

Burns frowned, Was this guy drunk? Or was he just an idiot?

Jim Valenti stepped out of the Crashdown as he took a long swallow of the rich, hot coffee Jeff and just made for him. He glanced up the street looking for a tan Toyota Carola. When he didn't see one, he sighed and took another drink of his coffee.

He had talked only briefly with Burns on the phone. Apparently Burns had been trying for some time to reach Liz in Sweden. When his last call revealed that Liz was now unreachable, he had called the Roswell sheriff's department.

Valenti knew that there was more than ample reason for concern. After all, Liz Parker was just one of the few humans in the world who knew for a fact that aliens existed.

After hearing from the councilor, Valenti had immediately called Max. Max explained about the strange dreams he had been having. Isabel had tried something called a 'dream-walk' to try and reach Liz.

Valenti shook his head.

Dream-walking! Going into people's heads! Jim sighed. Would the surprises never end!

He turned and looked through the Crashdown's window. Inside, Jeff was comforting his wife. They were holding each other closely. Her shoulders were shaking as she sobbed into Jeff's shoulder.

Jeff was desperately holding back tears, as he tried to assure her that everything would be all right.

Jim winced as he witnessed their pain. How can I tell them there's a possibility their daughter's been kidnapped by aliens.

Jim sighed and looked back down the street.

Still no Toyota.

He checked his watch. It was over two hours since Burns had called him at the station.

Where the hell was he?

Max decided that it was time to try something different.

He was scared out of his mind for Liz. Valenti's phone call was the final straw.

It was time to find out what was happening to Liz.

He laid down on his bed and closed his eyes.

Isabel was in her own room sitting in the middle of her bed. She wasn't going to sleep just yet. She wanted to give Max enough time to fall asleep before she dream-walked him.

Maybe in Max's dream, they could figure out what was happening to Liz.

When she felt like enough time had passed, she laid down and closed her eyes.

Chapter 24--Week 5A

Isabel sighed as she entered the dream world. She didn't need Max's photograph. All she had to do was picture her brother's image in her mind . . .

And she was in. . .

As Max's image faded against the bright light that surrounded him, darkness took over, and Isabel was left in a room she didn't recognize.

Brick walls surrounded her.

A single light bulb provided dim light.

She shivered and wrapped her arms around herself. She didn't usually feel climatic elements in her dreams, but the air here was so cold. It seeped out of the brick walls and into her bones. She turned, squinting at the darkness, trying to make sense of where she was.

There was a door to her left. She uncrossed her arms and reached out to turn the knob. She let out a frustrated sound as her hand passed through.

What is this place? Isabel thought.

She knew she wasn't in Max's (or anyone's) dream. There was no cloudy or glazed look to the scene that usually accompanied peoples' dreams.

So, where the hell am I?

She was thinking about trying to 'pass through' the door, when the sound of someone groaning made her jump in fright.

The sound was coming from a darkened corner.

"Who's there?" she asked. Her voice shook slightly.

No answer came.

And she took a step forward.

Chapter 24B--Week 5

"Who's there?" she asked again. Making her voice sound stronger.

Still no answer.

In a dark corner of the room someone moved and groaned again.

Isabel couldn't see. There was barley any light.

"Who's there," she whispered.

No one answered.

"Are you all right?" she asked.

More groans and shuffling sounds came from the corner.

She could see the person's shadow take form in the darkness as someone sat up from a horizontal position.

The shadow's chest puffed in and out as he struggled to get air into his lungs. Isabel could hear him struggling for each breath.

"Are you OK?" Is asked again. She took a step forward, then stopped when the shadow abruptly stood. He swayed back and forth for a moment, about to topple before catching his balance.

Then, he took a couple of deep breaths and stepped forward.

One foot in front of the other. His boots shuffled on the floor as he moved towards Isabel.

The lone bulb was dim, but it was bright enough to show the hard edges of his face, the stubble of his goatee and the shine of his earring.

Isabel gasped.

"Max?" she whispered in shock.

He had her brother's face, but this stranger's eyes were not melting chocolate brown, but a hard black coal-like quality.

He walked straight towards her, then past her. He limped as he moved, favoring his left leg.

"Shit!" He winced and swore as he stepped too hard with his damaged leg

Isabel jumped in shock at the harshness of his language. She'd heard Max swear a few times, but never with such vehemence.

The stranger raised his hand and supported himself against the wall.

Isabel maneuvered herself around him and placed herself right in front of him.

He looked right through her.

"You don't see me. Do you?" Isabel watched the changing expressions on his face. The lines of it were harsher and more sever than Max's. His lips were tight as if he were getting ready to snarl in frustration.

"Who are you?" Isabel asked in wonder.

Isabel wanted to ask a thousand questions.

Why do you look like Max? Where did you come from? Are you alien, like us? What is this place? How did I get here into your reality?

A sound came from where the door was. The turning of a key and the sound of metal scrapping metal as the door was slowly pulled open.

Isabel watched his reaction as the door opened.

His hand quickly dropped from the wall, and he stood straight. His eyes turned even darker and his face showed his defiance.

Isabel turned to see who was coming through the door.

RJ here. . .

clueless, BelevnDreamsToo, roswellluver, BLS40, Sophia, alienchica, behrstars, TrueLoveConquersAll, frenchkiss70, and nickeygurl13, m14, katy_mae, Breathless, Lindsey, Venus_star2.com, Kira lianna, Lelea, TeddyBehrJKT, jassifras, QueenofDreamers, Razz214, Elc, pookie76, dawnuk, Alex Balex, craz564553, lurkers, and everybody else--Hi to all!

All of you have been sooooo patient and kind! Thank you soooo much!

Yep! You guys guessed it! It's Zan da Man!

m14 writes . .
[q]. . . but hey why did Isabel want to connect to Max's head anyway? [/q]
Answer: Since Max can't make since of his dreams, and since Isabel can't seem to dreamwalk Liz, going into Max's dream as an observer of his dreams of Liz seemed the best next option.

[q] . . . and why did she end up at Zan's? [/q]
Answer: Read on to find out. . .

Chapter 24C--Week 5

Max moved restlessly as he slept. He tried reaching out with his mind for Isabel but was blindsided by a darkness that intruded into his dream world.

Then, thoughts fluttered into his mind---images that were not his own. Scenes of city sky scrapers and dank cold subway tunnels. Strange visions of Isabel with spiked hair, and Michael with a tall mohawk that was just too strange to be real.

The flashes went into slow motion as he felt a push from behind him. He fell into the street. Then, he turned and saw the lights of a New York bus baring down on him. There was no time to move, and the pain of the bus rolling right over him was only out weighed by the pain of betrayal that flashed in his heart and mind. Then, all went dark.

Now, he was lying here in this fucking prison on this bed of steel waiting to heal or die.

Zan hated feeling so helpless. He was used getting what he wanted, and now he couldn't even heal himself. Every time he felt his powers start to come back they came and pumped more of that shit into his arm. He didn't know what it was, but after each shot he felt as weak as a new born kitten.

Even in his weakened state anger, flowed through his veins. He felt the heat of his blood as his alien powers began to emerge again.

How could they do this shit to him! His own sister . . . after everything they'd been through together!

He groaned in anger and in pain. Fueled by adrenaline produced by his anger and alien regeneration, he jolted upright in defiance of his circumstances. He groaned again as he pivoted and swung his body around so that his feet fell to the floor. He gritted his teeth as pain shot up his bad leg, and he forced himself to stand.

He bared his teeth against the pain. His eyes turned hard and his jaw ticked in determination as he shuffled his first step.

And another step.

Then, another.

Each step took his full concentration. Each step sent lightning bolts of pain up and down his body.

He kept moving forward until he was near the only source of light in this hellish prison. Being near the light meant he could see some of his surroundings. And this brought some measure of comfort.

He swore as he stepped a little too hard on his wounded leg. Reaching out his hand, he leaned on the wall for support.

If he took one more step, he knew he'd puke. Sweat beaded his brow, and the small brick enclosed world he was in spun around him. So, he concentrated on taking deep breaths.

Max wasn't sure what to think of all this.

And where was Liz?

Zan's head jerked up at this question, for the thought had not come from him.

What the hell. . . Was he delirious now?

A sound jolted him out of his thoughts as the door to his prison was scraped open.

His hand fell from the wall, and he turned his defiant stance to the door.

He struggled not to cringe as a very smug Lonnie came through the door, holding a syringe aloft in her left hand. She looked like some punked up Loren Becall holding a "Long's" cigarette in some old black & white movie.

All that was missing was the smoke billowing seductively off the end of the needle.

"Well, bratha, yous looked nice for someone got runover by a bus," Lonnie smirked as she sashayed into the cell.

Zan remained silent. He looked at his woman he had once called sister.

What had happened between them? What did she feel such hatred for him? Her only brother?
RoswellJunky
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by RoswellJunky »

RJ here. . .

clueless, BelevnDreamsToo, roswellluver, BLS40, Sophia, alienchica, behrstars, TrueLoveConquersAll, frenchkiss70, and nickeygurl13, m14, katy_mae, Breathless, Lindsey, Venus_star2.com, Kira lianna, Lelea, TeddyBehrJKT, jassifras, QueenofDreamers, Razz214, Elc, pookie76, dawnuk, Alex Balex, craz564553, lurkers, and everybody else--Hi to all!

All of you have been sooooo patient and kind! Thank you soooo much!

Chapter 24D--Week 5

Isabel was seriously freaking out. She watched, stunned, as this. . . . . .this punked up image of herself slowly circled this man who looked so much like her own brother.

Why, Lonnie?" Zan's pained voice echoed in the cell. "Why?"

"Why?" Lonnie parroted back, innocently, her New York accent thick and haughty.

The voice made Isabel cringe.

She looked Lonnie up and down. The short, spiked, punked up hairdo might be in vogue for the New York rock scene, but it made Isabel want to gag. Also, the military green tydyed shirt ended just above the low riding kaki-colored pants.

Oh, yuck! Thought Isabel.

"Why," Lonnie said again.

Zan jerked as Lonnie stilled her circling to whisper into his ear.

"Power," Lonnie whispered. Then, she stepped back and around to face Zan. "Power, bratha," Lonnie smirked. "You knows, the power you used to have."

Power? What power? Isabell wondered.

Zan smirked back, even though the emotional and physical pain was still tremendous, "Yous still just a princess, sista."

Princess?! Isabel thought.

Lonnie's smug smile faltered just a bit.

She doesn't look like any princess, to me!

Meanwhile, Zan could feel his alien powers begin to surge through his veins. His blood felt hot, and the tips of his fingers began to tingle. He was a little surprised. His powers didn't usually come back with such force. It was almost like an outside source was feeding his alien powers.

He eyed the syringe in Lonnie's hand.

I just need to keep her distracted for a few more moments. . .

"So, where's Lunk-Head? Eattin' out of his trough?" Zan smirked.

Lonnie's confidence came back. She raised her eyebrow.

One thing Zan and Lonnie agreed on, Rath was, indeed, a Lunk-Head.

"Rath is doin' the one thin' he can do. He's busy lookin' big and intimidating for your dupe's girlfriend."

Zan tried not to get too excited, but the hand he had hidden behind his back began to glow.

So, Rath wasn't around, hmmm. . . . .

"You get any information out of her, yet," Zan asked. "She tell you where the granolith is?"

Lonnie pouted and frowned. "She won't tell us anything! Stupid human!"

Zan was itching to blast Lonnie. His hand balled into a fist to stop himself as Lonnie began to rant.

"Stupid, stupid human!" Lonnie spat. "She knows where the granolith is! Why doesn't she just tell us?" Lonnie's hands waved around in the air in anger.

Zan kept his eyes on the hand with the syringe.

"Nicholas even mine-raped her! And nothin'! She puts up some kind of wall when he does it. Nows her mind has turned to guacamole. Nicholas can't make nothin' of what he see's in her mind now!"

"Oh, my God!" Isabel whispered. They've got Liz!

An unexpected fury slammed through Zan. A fury that wasn't his.

Back in Roswell, Max tossed in his bed as the word, 'mind-rape' echoed in his brain. He didn't know what it meant, but whatever it was, it hurt Liz.

The hands clutching the blankets on his bed began to glow. . .
RoswellJunky
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by RoswellJunky »

Chapter 24E--Week 5

Zan welcomed the surge of power that raced through his veins. White-hot energy flooded him. He didn't know where the power came from, and he didn't care.

But he knew what to do with it.

And Lonnie never saw it coming.

Light and power split through the cell. Lonnie didn't even have time to think about protecting herself. She flew back and hit the concrete wall so hard Isabel could hear the crack of Lonnie's skull as it busted open against the wall. The syringe flew out of her hand and crashed against the floor shattering into a million pieces.

For a moment, Zan's power held Lonnie's now dead body high up against the wall.

Blood oozed from Lonnie's gaping mouth.

Her dead eyes wide with shock.

Isabel was too stunned to even scream.

Lonnie's blood trailed against the grey wall as Zan slowly let her slide to the ground.

As her feet touched the floor, her dead body weight made her legs crumble beneath her and she tumbled to the side with her arm flung over her head.

Zan slowly walked forward. The light that surrounded him ebbed and flowed around his form until it dimmed and finally disappeared.

He looked down at his dead sister.

Softly he whispered, "I would have given you the kingdom, sista. If you'd only asked."

After a moment, he stepped around her and walked out the door.

Isabel didn't know what to think of all this.

She slowly walked over to her dupe and crouched down to get a better look this stranger who looked so much like her.

Lonnie's wide shocked eyes stared sightlessly back at her.

Is this who I am? Isabel began to tremble. She didn't understand any of this.

This isn't me. . . Isabel denied. She reached out a trembling hand towards Lonnie.

And retched when Lonnie turned to dust.
RoswellJunky
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by RoswellJunky »

Chapter 24F--Week 5

Isabel woke instantly. The sight of Lonnie turning into dust was just too much. Her mouth filled with saliva as her stomach heaved.

She covered her hand over her mouth, bolted off her bed, & raced for the bathroom.
Max, still lay on his bed.

Motionless. Teeth clenched. Hands glowing as he clutching his bed sheets.
Zan stepped out of his cell’s doorway, and made his way down concrete hallways. Sounds coming from various locations were amplified, and he felt like he was enveloped by surround sound noises.

His fingers still tingled, and the power source that fed him, sent him strong pulses that flowed through his body and healed his injuries.

Zan now walked without a limp, and his body hummed with energy.

He came to a halt, as he heard her voice.

For weeks now, that voice had comforted him.

She had not been able to heal his injuries. But she had spoken softly to him, and made him feel better after his ‘family’s’ betrayal.

He cocked his head. Listening. Then, he continued forward, and turned left, towards her voice.

No one confronted him as he made his way to her.
Sheriff Valenti watched in resignation as the tractor’s crane flipped the upside-down Toyota Carola back onto it’s four wheels.

The crashing sound of steel against steel was jolting.

Valenti sighed. He knew that this ‘accident’ meant trouble.

Big trouble.

According to Deputy Hanson’s report, witnesses saw a Ford Lincoln ram the back of Burn’s car twice. As a result, Burn’s lost control of his car and rolled it four times before coming to a stop in the middle of the street.

The Ford Lincoln never even slowed down.

Witnesses had given the license number to Hansen, and they were running the plates now. But Valenti knew that it was probably a stolen vehicle.

The question was, was it stolen by Alien Hunters, Inc., or by the aliens themselves.

Valenti looked around for his Deputy. When he spotted Hansen talking to another witness, Valenti called out, “Hansen!”

Hansen looked up from the notepad were he was writing down Mrs. Havish’s comments.

“. . .sure is a shame,” Mrs. Havish was saying. “Mr. Burns one of the nicest people, I’d ever known. Why would anybody wanna hurt a teacher?”

Hansen waved to the Sheriff, indicating he’d ‘be there in a moment’, and turned back to Mrs. Havish.

“So, you say you couldn’t see who was in the Lincoln?”

“Nope. All them windows were dark. You know, like a Limousine. Do you think some kid did it? You know, one who didn’t like a grade Mr. Burn’s gave him?”

“Mr. Burn’s is a councillor at the school, Mrs. Havish. He doesn’t give grades.”

“Oh!” Mrs. Havish thought for a moment. “But, why. . .”

“That’s a good question,” Hansen muttered. But seeing the distress in Mrs. Havish’s face, he tried to smile. “Don’t worry, ma'am. We’ll get to the bottom of it. Now, can you tell me anything else about what you saw?”

“Not anything I haven’t already told you. It all happened so fast. . .”

Hansen smiled & put his hand on her shoulder. “It’s OK. We’ll find out who did this. In the meantime, if you remember anything else, just call us at the Sheriff’s office.” And he handed her a business card. “And thank you for your time.”

Hansen turned and made his way over to Valenti.

A little impatiently Valenti asked, “How badly was Burn’s hurt?”

Hansen flipped through his note pad and found the page with the information Valenti wanted. “Broken collarbone, crushed ankle, concussion. He was in & out of conscious as the para medics looked him over,” Hansen replied.

“Which hospital they take him to,” Valenti asked.

“Roswell Memorial.”

Sheriff Valenti turned & looked at the mangled Toyota. “I want a round the clock guard on Burns the minute he reaches that hospital.”

Hansen frowned, “Isn’t that a bit extreme, sir?”

Valenti whipped around and frowned at Hansen.

Hansen became nervous and stuttered, “I me-mean it’s just a little un-unusual . . .”

“This wasn’t an accident, Deputy Hansen!” Valenti shouted.

Hansen looked at Valenti, stunned. Valenti took a deep breath and tried again.

Lowering his voice Valenti repeated, “This wasn’t an accident. Someone deliberately did this. And when they find out Burns is still alive. . . well, who knows what they’ll try.”

“But why would someone want to kill a school councillor?” Hansen repeated Mrs. Havish’s question.

Valenti imagined telling Hansen the truth. . . .

”Well, Hansen, aliens are among us. And Burns was getting too close to finding this out.”

And Hansen would reply, “Sure, Sheriff, I understand now. Why don’t you wait right here. I’ll call the paddy wagon. They have some ‘special’ white shirts made just for you . . .

Instead, Valenti said, “Who knows. He was just about to meet with the Parkers at the Crashdown. Probably about some graffiti that local gangs had painted on their store some time ago. Maybe Burns had information. . .”

Hansen took off his cowboy hat and scratched his head, “I guess anything’s possible. . .”

You have no idea. Valenti thought to himself. “I just don’t want to take any chances.”

Still perplexed, Hansen turned towards his squad car to radio headquarters about their newest assignment.

Valenti waited until Hansen was out of earshot. Then, he took out his cell phone, hit the memory dial button that would ring Max’s cell phone.