Behind Bars (M/L CC Mature) A/N Sept. 18 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

maya
Addicted Roswellian

Behind Bars (M/L CC Mature) A/N Sept. 18 [WIP]

Post by maya »

Title: Behind Bars

Disclaimer: "The characters of "Roswell" belong to Jason Katims, Melinda Metz, WB, and UPN. They are not mine and no infringement is intended."

Pairings/Couples/Category: M/L and other CC
Rating: Mature for now. Will update as need be.
Summary:Michael Parker is in prison. When his sister Liz, writes to him and he refuses to answer, his cell mate Max Evans starts writing to Liz. Max and Liz develop a deep friendship that allows them to help Michael. Will it lead to something more?

Alex, Isabelle, Kyle and Tess are also in this story.

Banner: by c_which

Noms for fav supporting potrayl of Tess and Isabelle.
Favourite AU without aliens
Most suspenseful Fic

Part 1

She was already sitting waiting for him when he was led into the visitors room. He gave her a weak smile before sitting down across from her and taking her small hands in his own..

They just sat there for a minute, staring at each other, she looking nervous, he like he was trying not to crumble. Neither of them said a word.

She studied his face. He had only been in here a few weeks but he looked rougher somehow. His face looked longer, drawn out, he had obviously lost weight, his sandy blonde hair was oilier and his bangs kept falling in his face. He kept pushing them back, and again they’d fall. He needed a haircut.

“You look tired Michael,” she said breaking the silence.

“I’m ok,” he replied, giving her hands a squeeze.

She was worried about him. She had heard awful things about prison life and laid awake at night wondering what could happen to him. He knew that and he hated it. He was her big brother, it was his job to look after her, she shouldn’t have to worry about him.

“But I do,” she insisted, “Worry about you.” He gave her a puzzled look. How did she know what he was thinking? He hadn’t said that out loud.

“I know you better than you know yourself Michael.” She laughed answering his unspoken question as she pushed a strand of her long wavy hair behind her ear.

“What’s your cell mate like?” She hoped whoever he was that he would leave her brother alone.

“His name is Max. He’s ok I guess, sort of rough around the edges but he hasn’t caused me any trouble.” Not yet anyway he thought. He didn’t like the way he looked at him sometime, he got the feeling Max was about to snap.

“What is he in here for?”

“He killed someone.”

“Oh god Michael.” She paled. Her brother was in a cell with a cold blooded murderer.

He rolled his eyes. Was she forgetting that he to was a convicted criminal? “I killed someone too Liz.”

“You know it’s not the same.”

“Isn’t it?” he asked.

“It was an accident. You didn’t mean to.” She sighed. He was blaming himself again. He had fallen into a deep depression during the trial and he just seemed to be sinking deeper and deeper. He felt he deserved to pay the time for taking Sean’s life.

“It’s a life either way Liz.” Whether it was an accident or not Sean was dead and he would have to live with it for the rest of his life.

Max was very surprised when the guard came to his cell and told him that he had a visitor. He hadn’t had a visitor in several months.

The guard opened the door to the visitor room and the guard pointed to a man in a blue suit sitting at one of the tables. Max had never seen him before.

“Mr. Evans, I’m Carl Longberg, defense attorney,” the man said, holding out his hand which Max shook quickly and than sat down.

Max sighed he wasn’t interested in this. He had already been here for 4 years and he would stay the remaining year. His sister kept sending these lawyers in, she had gotten married to a software designer named Alex Whitman shortly after he went to jail and she had lots of money. Every few months she sent a new lawyer in to discuss Max’s case, each one had a better reputation than the last and Max told each one the same thing. He was guilty and he wasn’t interested in their services.

Max was just about to tell Mr. Longberg to take a hike when he noticed that Michael was sitting at the table in front of him, with his back to him. Sitting across from him was the most beautiful brunette he had ever seen. Who was she he wondered. He and Michael didn’t talk very much so he knew next to nothing about him. Was this his wife, he wondered.

He tried to listen to Michael’s conversation but couldn’t make much out as it was very muffled.

“Mom and Dad are coming up next week. And Maria.,” Liz told her brother hoping it would lift her spirits.

“No, I told you I don’t want to see Maria,” he said slapping the table angrily.

“You were just upset. You didn’t mean it.” She remembered when he was convicted and he had told Maria to walk away and never think about him again. It had been an emotional day for all of them but Maria and Michael had been in love since they were kids. They needed each other now more than ever.

“Michael, she misses you, she’s going crazy.”

“She deserves better Liz. I don’t want to see her. Tell her to move on.” He hadn’t said it in the heat of the moment. He had meant it. Why did Maria have to be so pigheaded?

“Michael, 2 years isn’t that long.” He would be out soon. He had gotten a lenient sentence for manslaughter; he had admitted his guilt and shown remorse.

“Look I don’t want to waste your time. I’m not interested,” Max told the lawyer.

“But Mr. Evans, your sister said your withholding some information crucial to your case.”

Max rolled his eyes. Of course he wanted the case, Isabelle had probably offered to double his usual hourly fee.

“Let’s just go through the facts of your case one more time,” he said but Max wasn’t listening. He was too busy watching Michael interact wit his visitor at the table in front of him.

Michael turned to leave and Liz stood up watching him disappear, as soon as he was out of eye shot, she sat back down and let the tears fall. He wasn’t the type to handle this type of thing. He wasn’t eating, wasn’t sleeping, this elf hatred had to stop. The Michael Parker she knew was starting to fall from her grasp, and she didn’t know how much longer he would hold on.

Max watched Michael leave and could tell he had done something to upset the brunette beauty standing only a few feet from his table. He felt desperate to comfort her.

“Look please leave,” Max said to the lawyer.

“But Mr. Evans...” The lawyer protested..

“Now,” Max said fiercely and the lawyer quickly left the room. He knew better than to push him.

Max stood up and just stared at this woman standing in front of him, her brown eyes pooling with tears. She looked so alone his heart broke, it had been 3 years since he had allowed himself to feel any emotion. You couldn’t survive in a place like this if you let yourself feel anything.

“Evans. Your visitor is gone. Come on,” the guard yelled signaling for the door.

Hearing a name called Liz looked up to see a man with dark hair, and piercing amber eyes staring at her. She felt a shiver up her spine. He made her nervous. She had to get out of there as quickly as she could.

Max walked towards the door and took one look back towards where Liz had been to see her scurrying out the door. When she saw him the look on her face had been very skittish. He obviously didn’t have the effect on her that she had on him. He shrugged. It was probably for the best anyways.
Last edited by maya on Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 72 times in total.
maya
Addicted Roswellian

Post by maya »

Thanks so much for all the feedback. It is really encouraging.

L-J-L-76
roswell3053
Natz
Ellie
LovinGeurin2Much
g7silvers
Empress_luci
POM
Grace52373
c_which
begonia9508
dreamer destny
behryliz
cocpucks
vampyrax
RoninBehr
RhondaAnn
Sweet Liz
Gaby7tvm
Erina258
harroc83[/i]

Part 2

Max arrived back at his cell to find Michael sitting on the edge of the bottom bunk bed, staring out into what appeared to be nothingness, a blank look on his face. Max knew the feelings that accompanied that look; he himself had worn it many times during his first few months here. Michael was sinking into a deep depression, and if he didn’t pull himself out soon, the result would be self destruction.

When he had heard Michael raise his voice while talking to the brunette in the visitor’s room and witnessed her tears it had been obvious that he had hurt her a great deal. However, seeing his broken form now he realized that what ever he had said had hurt him far more than he could ever have hurt her.

Max had kept his distance from his cellmate for the 3 weeks he had been here but he looked so lost that now he felt he should say something to ease his pain. He couldn’t deny that he was also hoping to find out more information on the brunette.

Max climbed up to the top bunk and laid down on top of his sheets. The top bunk was his, he’d been there longer than Michael and although Michael would have preferred the top, Max had made it very clear the first day Michael had been admitted that that wasn’t an option.

It was easier to talk to Michael now, because he didn’t have to make eye contact. He could talk to him while staring up at the ceiling on top of him. Things were easier when you could keep them impersonal, distant.
“You ok, buddy?” he asked after he had settled into the bed.

His words were met with no response.

“Michael?” he asked again.

“Why do you care? You’ve hardly said two words to me since I arrived here.” He wished he would just be quiet. The last thing he needed was to have some sort of fight with him.

Max was silent for a moment trying to find the right words. “I just…I’ve been here four years and I’ve learned sometimes it’s…it’s better not to be friends with your cellmate.”

Michael gave a sarcastic laugh at Max’s words and lay back down on his own bunk.

He wasn’t even sure he wanted to be friends with this guy anyway. He had heard what he was in here for. Anyone who could do what Max had done could only be described as cold and heartless.

“I didn’t think tough guys like you had friends?” The minutes it was out of Michael’s mouth he regretted it. Max jumped down off of the top bunk, standing over his bunk, Michael quickly stood up to face him, Max’s eyes boring into him in silence. What was going on in Max’s mind?

He had heard you shouldn’t mess with Max, that he would slice you with a razor blade if you so much as looked at him the wrong way. Of course he had heard that from this other prisoner called Mouse and he wasn’t so sure he was the most reliable source. Mouse was this tall skinny nerdy looking guy who claimed he was part of a drug cartel, with a million bucks and a playboy model waiting for him on his release. If that was true, then the entire social order in the world would crumble.

Well if Mouse was right Michael reasoned that he deserved whatever Max would do to him. It was his Karma, he had killed Sean, his best friend, there was no horror in the world that he didn’t deserve.

Max didn’t make any motion to move closer to Michael, didn’t raise his hand, just kept staring and finally started to speak. “I’m not so tough. I thought I was but I was wrong.” His words were so quite that Michael could barely hear them, but he did. This was not the response he had expected at all. Mouse had been wrong.

Max slowly lifted up his shirt and pointed to a huge scar, 5 inches long that ran across the right side of his abdomen just under his rib cage. “I bled everywhere, went into shock and blacked out in a pool of my own blood. They had to stitch me up in the infirmary.”

Michael cringed. It looked nasty.

“Like I said, I’m not so tough.” Michael just nodded in understanding.

“So, it was your cellmate….that did this to you?” Max’s earlier comments were making more sense now.

Max slowly nodded his head.

“When?”

“Two years ago.”

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Arizona

“Sorry, I’m late but I come bearing gifts.” Alex smiled at his wife who was standing in the living room with the portable phone being balanced between her ear and her shoulder.

“Oh, is that Chinese?” she asked as she followed him into the kitchen looking at the large paper bag he had put down on the counter.

He nodded. “Who are you talking to?”

“I’m on hold for Carl Longberg.”

“Who’s that?”

“The new lawyer I sent to the prison today for Max,” she said in a condescending tone adding a look that told him he should have known what she was talking about.

She had sent so many lawyers in to that prison over the last few years that Alex had lost count. In the beginning he had kept track of all their names and details of the visits and Max’s case but now it was just all too much.

“God I’ve been on hold for 10 minutes. This is ridiculous.” She was annoyed.

Alex couldn’t help but laugh. His wife had many virtues, but patience was not one of them.

He bet Longberg was probably keeping her on hold so that he could charge her for it by the minute. He rolled his eyes. Lawyers weren’t that far away from being the criminals they represented.

“Mr. Lornberg. Finally. How did it go?” Isabelle spoke into the phone.

Alex started to get the dinner organized. He took two plates out of the cupboard and started to serve the food on them while he listened to Isabelle’s end of the conversation.

“What do you mean?”

“Oh really?” Her hand was on her hip now.

“I told you that you would have to be persistent.” Things obviously didn’t go well.

“It doesn’t matter if my brother won’t cooperate.” Her voice was slightly more raised now.

“I’m offering you a lot of money here.”

“So that’s it?” She was yelling now.

“Oh I understand perfectly. I’ll just find someone else to help me.” She hung up the phone without saying goodbye.

“Uggh,” she yelled out loudly venting her frustration, to no one in particular, setting the phone down and banging her head lightly against the kitchen counter.

“I take it, Max gave him nothing again?” Alex asked. In the beginning he had been in favor of her helping her brother and he had told her to use what ever resources necessary But now, after four years he just didn’t understand why Isabelle continued to put herself through this. Max obviously didn’t want her help but it had become an obsession, her trying to prove his innocence.

Alex had started dating Isabelle a year before the incident. They met the first week of their 1st year in college in Arizona. She was studying fashion design, he was studying computer science. She and her brother had been so close. Max was three years older than her and he always looked out for her. Max was finishing his last year at the same college. They had both grown up in Arizona and lived at home while in school to save money. Alex had moved to Arizona from Ohio for school, knowing the job prospects would be good there once he graduated.

Max had insisted on meeting Alex right after their first date and he had told Alex that if he didn’t treat his sister well he would hunt him down and cut off his balls. Alex had been so scared that he considered not continuing a relationship with Isabelle. However, hew knew after that 1st date his heart belonged to her and always would, he just hoped her brother would realize it.

After a few months of dating, once Max was convinced that Alex would never hurt Isabelle he had given the relationship his blessing and really warmed up to Alex. Alex learned that Max’s bark was worse than his bite. He was actually a very kind, caring guy who only went into tough mode when it came to his sister. Alex was happy Isabelle had a brother who loved her so much and looked out for here.

As time went on Max and his fiancée Tess spent a lot of time with Alex and Isabelle, going to movies, concerts, they were inseparable. The summer before the accident when Max had graduated with his political science degree and Alex and Isabelle had finished their first year they even took a one month road trip across the US in Max’s jeep to celebrate. Max had been accepted to Law school and would start in the fall.

Three days before the next school year was to start up they arrived home from their road trip exhausted and ready to start classes, they dropped Tess off, then Alex and then Isabelle and Max drove home. It was around supper time.

Alex still had no idea what happened in the 48 hours after they had dropped him off. All he knew was that the following evening at 2 am he received an incoherent phone call from a sobbing Isabelle. Max was taken into custody. That fall instead of going to law school, Max had ended up in jail.

At first Alex thought that it was plausible Max was innocent. Murder had seemed so out of character for the Max he knew. But he had talked to one of the lawyers and they had told him that it had been an open and shut case. Max’s prints were on the murder weapon and he had admitted to it all, there was even an eye witness.

For the last 4 years he had wondered why Isabelle maintained his innocence. His mother suggested it was a coping mechanism; she had already lost one person she loved and couldn’t bear to loose another so she convinced herself her brother was innocent. Alex’s gut told him it was something more. Isabelle knew more about what had happened that night, he was sure of it. He had tried to get her to talk about that night, but she never would. He had decided long ago that he would never push her. She would come to him when she was ready.

“Come on, your plates all ready. Let’s watch Law and Order,” he said trying to cheer her up. Law and Order was her favorite show

“I think, I’ll just go to bed early,” she said heading towards the bedroom.

“What about your food?”

“Just wrap it up. I’ll take it for lunch tomorrow,” she sighed as she disappeared down the hall.

Alex grabbed a beer from the fridge and sat back on the couch to enjoy his food and the show.

Most days Isabelle was fine. She was a fashion designer who had done well for herself and her brazen attitude had helped her develop a great reputation. That’s how she was most of the time, so intelligent, strong but then when it came to her brother she appeared so vulnerable.

When her brother first went to prison, after she would visit him she would be in a withdrawn mood for days. Then Max asked her to stop visiting and she had been hysterical. Alex had gone to visit Max demanding he explain why he was hurting his sister. He had claimed that it was because he wanted her to move on with her life. Alex had been impressed. He felt Max was being honorable and he hoped that if Isabelle stopped visiting Max she would be more focused on her own life.

This wasn’t the case at all. Isabelle tried numerous times to visit Max but he always refused to see her. She eventually got the message. That was when the lawyer crusade began, she sent a new one to see Max each month, each time she got her hopes up, each time they were lost once again. He hated seeing her on this roller coaster ride but had learned there was nothing he could do to help her through, but give her space. Tomorrow she would be her old self again.

Isabelle got into her pajamas, took two Advil in hopes they would numb her throbbing head and got into bed. She picked up the framed photo of herself and Max at the Grand Canyon on their road trip.

“Tomorrow’s your birthday big brother. You will be 26 years old.” She wished she could wish him happy birthday in person but if she went out there he would only refuse to see her.

“Happy Birthday Max. I will get you out of there, if it’s the last things I do,” she promised.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Santa Fe

“So how did it go Chica?” Maria asked as soon as Liz came in the door.

Liz sighed. As promised, she had driven straight to Maria’s house after her visit with Michael. She had sat in the driveway, her head against the wheel, trying to buy herself a few minutes of solitude before going into Maria’s house.

“He won’t see you Maria.” Liz wished she had better news to share.

“But he’s been in there for 3 weeks,” Maria protested thinking that in that time he would surely have changed his mind.

“And he’s going to be in there for 3 more years,” Liz said sadly. “He just doesn’t want to put you through this. He’s doing this for you, so you can go on with your life.”

“I can’t live without him,” Maria whispered as a single tear ran down the right side of her cheek.

“I feel dizzy.”

“Here sit down.” Liz took her arm and led her over to the couch.

Liz sat beside Maria and held her as she sobbed. It just wasn’t fair. Michael was 25 years old and in prison for something that was an accident.

“He was supposed to move in here the next day,” Maria sobbed. “Instead he was in the hospital.”

“I know,” Liz whispered soothingly. “I know.”

Maria, Liz and Michael had all grown up together in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Maria and Michael had been dating since high school. It had been an on again, off again relationship, they were both extremely hot tempered but everyone knew it was true love.

Maria and Liz had both gone to college in Santa Fe. After graduating; Maria had gotten a job at an advertising firm in Santa Fe, Liz a job working in a lab with sick animals. Michael didn’t go to college. Instead he had worked at a local garage, mostly on motorbikes, they were his favorite.

Two months ago he finally asked Maria to move in with them and they had rented this little house together. This was a big deal for Michael who never liked commitments. He would never get married, this was the biggest commitment Maria would get but Liz had known it would be forever. Her brother needed Maria like the rest of us need air to breathe.

Michael was all set to move in 3 weeks ago but the night before, the accident happened and he never made it. Maria had most of her things moved in already so she had stayed, but every square inch of the house reminded her of Michael and the life they would have had together.

“Give him time. He’ll come around.” Liz tried to sound encouraging.

“I’m worried. He ‘s shutting off from all of us and he’s blaming himself. “

“Are you going to tell him?” Liz asked thinking it might make a difference.

Maria put her hand on his stomach. “How can I tell him, when he won’t even let me see him?”

“Maybe this will help him turn things around. Give him something to look forward to,” Liz suggested.

“He or she will be 2 years old when Michael gets out.” It was a depressing thought. He would miss so much.

“I’ll talk to him tomorrow Maria. He really needs to know”

Maria just nodded.

“So what was the prison like ?”

“Not great. But I think he’s ok there, for now.”

“There was this weird guy staring at me though,” Liz added as an after thought.

“What was weird about him?”

“I don’t know, the way he looked at me was just so intense, you know?”
Last edited by maya on Tue May 30, 2006 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maya
Addicted Roswellian

Post by maya »

I am so lovin the feedback to this story. Thank you so much. It really warms my heart. I know there are a lot of questions but I promise the back story will be revealed a little with each part and you will know the who, what,where, when and why Max committed murder, same for Micheal.

As for the letters they will start soon, I am still setting up the story, there is a lot to it and a lot to cover.Happy Holidays!!!

I hope you continue to enjoy it.
POM
ISLANDGIRLS
Natz
RoswellDreamer bb10
g7silvers
behryliz
Sweet Liz
Empress_luci
Emz80m
lazza
roswell3053
behr_able
RhondaAnn
orphyfets
dreamerdestiny
Erina258
begonia9508

Part 3

“I better give you the low down, if you want to keep your hands clean in here,” Max stated as he stuffed a forkful of spaghetti into his mouth. He and Michael were eating lunch together in the prison cafeteria. After talking to Michael yesterday he had realized he wasn’t such a bad guy, maybe it was time for him to let his guard down enough to let someone in, even if just a little bit. It might make the time go a bit faster. Besides, Michael needed some help if he was going to survive in here.

Michael just nodded as he took a gulp of his milk.

“Mouse is a pathological liar so don’t believe a word he says.”

Michael smirked. He had figured as much when he realized that Mouse’s stories about Max were completely false.

“But he isn’t any trouble,” Max laughed. The name mouse pretty much suited him.

“Now Garry.” He pointed to a big guy with long raven black hair who was sitting at the table in front of them with his back to them. “He is someone you want to stay clear of, unless you want to see a razor blade in your face.”

“Jack will try to take you from behind, if you know what I mean. He’s not here right now but you’ve probably seen him before. He has this bright red hair,” Max explained.

Michael just made a disgusted look. The day he had been admitted, he had seen him cop of feel of some guys ass.

“He mostly tries to get in the pants of the younger and smaller offenders. As long as he knows he can’t score with you he will leave you alone,” Max reassured him.

“So is it true, what they say about you?” Michael asked.

Max wiped his mouth with his hand, leaned back in his chair and sighed. He knew he would ask him this eventually.

“You mean that I killed my father?” He saw something flicker in Michael’s eyes. Was it fear, disgust? He wasn’t sure.

“Ya, it’s true.” He watched Michael’s face, his reaction still unclear.

“Go ahead, say what you want to say. Let me have it. Believe me, I have heard it all,” Max said as he looked at Michael waiting for the usual judgment he received to pass his lips.

“Was he a bastard? Your father,” Michael asked.

Max blinked at him and a smile crossed his face. He had been in hear for 4 years and no one other than a lawyer had asked him why he had done it or anything about the type of man his father had been. Usually they looked at him like he was pond scum, killing a parent was the lowest of lows.

“Yes,” Max replied. Michael was different.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

“Hi Isabelle. How are you?” one of the nurses greeted Isabelle as she was signing in at the nursing home.

“Good Rosie. You?” she smiled.

“Not too bad. This isn’t your usual day to visit,” Rosie said looking at the calendar on the wall.

“I know but it’s Max’s birthday and since I can’t spend the day with him, I thought it would at least be nice to see mom,” she said sadly. Rosie and the other nurses here knew her family history oh to well. They had been a great support for her, especially when Max had first gone to jail.

“How is she?” she asked not sure if she really wanted to hear the answer.

“Not great Isabelle. She is definitely having a bad day. Actually this whole week has been like that but I am sure your visit will help. It always does,” she smiled cheerily. Diane was a very lucky woman to have such a devoted daughter that visited her so often.

Isabelle entered her mother’s room to find her sitting in a chair sitting by the window her gaze fixed on something outside.

“Hi Mom,” she greeted her cheerfully and was met with no response. She sighed and took a seat next to her mother. She didn’t expect a response, she rarely got one and when she did it was short lived but with each visit it got harder, not easier. Her mother lived in her own world, a shell of the woman that she once was.

Her mother became completely despondent after her father had died. Isabelle had tried to care for her on her own, for the first year she did but it just got to be too much for her to handle. One day she was planting some flowers outside when her mother had somehow started a kitchen fire. Although she mostly just sat despondent, she had brief episodes of lucidity, where she thought that her husband was still alive and Max was just starting law school. Isabelle had managed to put the fire out and get her mother out of the house but at that time Alex had suggested they put her here, it really was the most wonderful nursing home available. She agreed as long as it was in Arizona so she could visit her twice a week.

“So mom, I have some new designs coming out. A whole collection in fact,” she said taking her mothers hand in her lap. She didn’t know if anything she said ever registered in her mother’s brain but she told her anyway. She wanted her to be part of her life.

“I named one of the evening gowns Diane. It’s a deep royal blue, that color that you always loved so much. Remember when you made Max and I paint the den that color? Dad hated it and was always complaining but you loved it.” She laughed remembering.

“Max? Max?” her mother said moving her face to look at her. “Where is he? Is he coming home for thanksgiving?”

“No mom, Max isn’t coming home. Today is his birthday.”

“Isabelle.” She said patting her daughter’s hand. “His birthday is in July. You celebrated it on that road trip you four took. It’s almost November now.” Isabelle just smiled. She knew better than to argue with her mother during these brief episodes. Instead she savored the sound of her voice because in a moment it would be gone.

Sure enough it was. Diane was once again staring out the window. Isabelle found herself staring out at the same invisible spot as she was, only wishing she could see what her mother saw.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

“So, who was that woman you were talking to yesterday?” Max asked Michael as they sat on a park bench outside during there mandatory fresh air time. He had held out as long as he could before asking. He needed to know who that beautiful woman with the long chocolate hair and deep brown eyes had been.

“My sister,” Michael said, fortunately for Max, missing the smile that spread across his face.

Why am I excited about this? Max asked himself. After all he was a convicted criminal serving time in prison. That alone would guarantee he would never have a chance with someone like her. There was just something about her though. Ever since he had seen her she had occupied every minute of both his heart and his mind. Sure he had been extremely attracted to women before, Tess for one, but he had never been captivated like this.

“So what’s the deal with her? Why was she crying?”

“What’s it to you?” Michael asked a chip still on his shoulder. Why would Max want to know about his sister?

“I just care Michael that’s all,” Max explained.

“Sorry,” Michael said looking up at Max. “I just feel really bad about all of this. I hate putting her through this. Was she really crying?” he asked, guilt stabbing at his heart.

“Yes. I just….I was meeting with this lawyer and I saw her…and after you left she was crying.”

Michael looked away for a minute thoughtfully and then turned his head back to look at Max again.

“Can I ask you something?”

Max nodded.

“Do you have a sister?”

“Yes.”

“How do you deal with her?” he asked.

“I don’t.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” He was hoping Max could offer some insight, something he could apply to his won situation.

“When I was first in here she came to visit me every week and I just felt it was ruining her life so I told her to stop coming.”

“And did she?”

“Not at first.” Max grinned remembering. “But after I refused to see her over and over again she eventually got the picture.”

“Didn’t it hurt her?”

“Yes but she got married to this great guy, finished school and started a successful career.”

“So it was worth it?”

“Yep. Definitely.”

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

“Parker, Evans you both have visitors.” The guard said as he opened their cell and they began their walk to the visitor’s room.

“Any idea?” Michael asked.

“No, but it’s my birthday today. It better not be my sister. What about you?” Would Isabelle really show up today, it had been three years since he had seen her? He hoped she would continue to stay away.

“No idea. Liz was here yesterday so…” He trailed off as the door to the visitor opened and both men’s eyes scanned the room for their guests.

“Max.” A tall slim blonde woman waved. Michael took one look at Max and smiled. ‘lucky dog,” he said quietly as Max walked over to his table.

Michael then saw Liz sitting at the table closest to the door and sighed. He took a deep breathe and headed over towards her. He was going to take a page from Max’s book and tell Liz to stop visiting him. It wasn’t going to be easy but it had to be done.

“Hi Max.”

“Tess. This is a surprise.” Max smiled as Tess stood up and gave him a light hug before they both sat down across from one another.

“It’s been 4 years Max. I haven’t seen you since the trial.”

“I know but you shouldn’t be here. We made a deal Tess remember?” he reminded her.

“Yes. If I remember correctly you said I could visit you once I graduated Law school,” she smiled.

“You mean you?” Had it really been that long?

“Yup.” She smiled proudly.

“Congratulations Tess.”

“I’m sorry. I realize how hard this must be for you. You wanted this for yourself so badly and now I’m sitting her gloating. I shouldn’t have come.” Suddenly she felt akward.

“No. No.” He took her hand. “I am glad you did. It’s nice to know that you and Isabelle are both living your dreams.”

Tess just rolled her eyes.

“Isabelle still isn’t talking to you huh?” he chuckled.

“That’s an understatement. The woman hates me.”

“Sorry Tess.”

“It’s ok Max. It’s not your fault”

“We both know it is,” he sighed.

“True, but don’t sweat it.”

“Wow your in a good mood today.” Tess was a real trooper that’s for sure.

“Actually I have some other news,” she said holding her left hand up to show off a sparkling diamond ring. “I’m engaged. He’s an engineer. A really nice guy. I think you’d like him.”

Max smiled. “I am sure I would.”

Tess looked down at her hands for a minute and then straight into Max’s eyes. “Max, now that I’m a lawyer and specializing in criminal law, let me help you.”

“No Tess.” He shook his head. He was so happy to see her, to see that she had made a life for herself like he had always wanted. Why did she have to ruin it by talking like this?

“Max, I owe you.”

“You don’t owe me anything.”

“Things could have been so different.”

“Things could always be different.” He shrugged. “But there not, are they?.” They never would be.

A few tables way, Liz had been babbling away but Michael hadn’t heard a word she said. He was too focused, trying to gather the courage.

“Liz,” he said interrupting her. “You can’t come see me anymore.”

“What? Why not?” she demanded, shocked at his bluntness.

“It’s too hard. I need you to stay away.”

“Too bad, big brother. You can’t stop me,” she said stubbornly.

“No, but I can refuse to see you.” He could be just as stubborn.

He took her hands in his. “Liz, I am doing this for you. Can’t you see that?”

“You’re the one who can’t see straight,” she said as the tears streamed down her face.

“Maria’s pregnant Michael.” She blurted out and waited fore his reaction.

Liz’ announcement sent Michael into emotional overload, but he refused to let her see, maintained a poker face.

“Well I gotta go sis. Look after yourself.” He got up from the table and walked over to the door signaling to the security guard to let him in. He didn’t look back. It would hurt her now but in the long run it would be best.

The minute the door closed behind him he punched his right fist into the wall. Maria was pregnant. Just when he thought things couldn’t get any worse, they did. He had screwed everything up and Maria, the woman he loved most in this world was paying the biggest price.

“Thanks for coming Tess. Congrats on your wedding,” Max said standing up and giving her another hug.

As he watched Tess leave he saw Liz standing up at her table, Michael no where to be seen, tears once again streaming down her face. She looked so lost and he gave her a small smile.

Liz looked up and found herself staring into the same eyes as yesterday and once again felt a cold shiver run down her spine. Just as she was about to head out the door, he smiled at her. He had a nice smile and it warmed her heart, he wasn’t as scary as before. She had no idea why, maybe it was the fact that she was so lost and needed something to hold onto, someone to reach out to, whatever the reason she smiled back before turning towards the door and leaving.

As soon as he made it to the parking lot she pulled her cell phone pout of her purse and
dialed Maria’s number

“He knows Maria.”

“What did he say?”

“He didn’t say anything.”

Maria hung up the phone and sat on her couch in silence rubbing her hand across her stomach.

“Michael why are you doing this?” she asked out loud and then buried her face in the pillow on the couch and cried.
Last edited by maya on Tue May 30, 2006 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
maya
Addicted Roswellian

Post by maya »

Thank you so much for the lovely feedback. It seems I have a lot of new readers now too, welcome! I never dreamed one of my stories would get this type of response and all I can say is thank you very much and I really hope that you continue to enjoy it.

You all have posted some very intersting theories in your feedback but I don't want to say anything about them because it would give the story away.

RASaero611
lazza
touched by an alien
dreamer19
kittens
L-J-L 76
RhondaAnn
orphyfets
Maxssoulmate
cherie
ISLANDGIRL5
SweetLiz
Emz80m
POM
begonia9508
Erina
Planetv33n3ss
roswell3053
Alien614
vampyrax

Part 4

Max went back to his cell, the image of Liz’s crying face still pulling on his heart. He couldn’t help but feel elated that she had smiled at him, and then chastised himself for being so pathetic. Is this what his life had really become?

He found Michael lying on the bottom bunk facing the wall so that Max couldn’t see his face.

“Hey,” Max said quietly.

“Hey,” Michael replied not turning away from the wall. Max could tell by the scratchiness in his voice that he had been crying.

“I take it things didn’t go well with your sister?” he asked.

“She hates me right now, but in the end she’ll be better off,” he muttered.

“What did you tell her?”

“Not to visit me anymore. I don’t want any of them to.”

“Why? You need them right now Michael”

“They need to go on with their lives, not rot away waiting for me for the next three years.” He turned to face Max this time.

“I’m just doing what you did with your own sister.” He defended himself.

Max just nodded. He felt like shit. Liz’s tears were the result of his advice and it was bad advice. He had told Michael that he had kept Isabelle away for her own good but that was sonly part of it, there was another reason, a reason he could not tell Michael.

Michael was sitting up now, his legs on the floor in front of him.

"I fucked up Max,” he said burying his face in his hands.

“What do you mean?”

“I never deserved her,” he sighed.

“Who? What are you talking about?”

“Oh never mind. Why am I even talking to you?”

“You need to talk to someone and who am I going to tell, right?” Max chuckled, pulling up a chair and sitting down to face Michael.

“Maria’s pregnant and I am not there for her.”

“Maria’s your girlfriend?”

“Ya but she’s more than that. We had rented a house together and were supposed to move into together. That’s when it happened. I killed Sean.”

With that last statement, that horrific night came back to him, sure he relived it every night in his dreams but this was the first time he allowed it into his conscious mind during waking hours, he couldn’t, it was just too much.

It was a Friday night. He and Maria had signed the lease on the house a few days before and would be moving in first thing Saturday morning. Michael had almost everything in the house packed up and was waiting for Maria’s cousin Sean to come over to help him. Sean was his best friend and he worked with him at the garage. They were going to load the box’s in Sean’s truck and be ready for the first trip in the morning. There should only be 2 more trips after that. Michael didn’t have much. He was leaving his bed behind. Maria complained it was lumpy, he had teased her that she wanted to move into together because it meant that they would always get to sleep in her bed. She hated his coffee table too, so it was basically his TV, couch, clothes and some boxes.

“Hey Man,” Sean hollered from the door way .”So your really gonna do it? Take on Maria as an old ball and chain,” he said with raised eyebrows.

“Ya I am.” Michael smirked when he put the box down he had carried in from the bedroom. It was weird, he had loved Maria for so long, years but he never thought he could settle down with her, not because it was Maria, but he just didn’t think he was the type to do that whole thing, kids, house. But he did. He was excited about it. He felt like it was the best decision he had ever made. Like his life was finally starting.

“Man, you’re a bad role model for the rest of us,” Sean said.

Michael just rolled his eyes. “Whatever Sean.”

“I’m just joking. I’m glad. Maria’s pretty cool and you make her happy. Aunt Amy even likes you.” Michael smiled. It had been touch and go for a while with Maria’s mother. After she had found he and Maria in bed together when Maria was only 16 she had refused to let them see each other again, but since then he had proven to Miss. Deluca time and time again that Maria was the only one for him.

“So are you just gonna stand there or are you gonna start lifting?” Michael asked. He just wanted to get this over with. “Let’s load this stuff for the first run. Then when were done maybe we can catch the end of the game.”

“I have a better idea. Let’s go out.” Sean smiled mischievously.

“Sean, this is serious. We have to get this done.”

“We have lots of time. This is your last night of freedom. Come on, some of the guys from the shop are waiting for us at Lindsay’s,” he said.

Michael didn’t want to go. He just wanted to have everything done for tomorrow so he wouldn’t have to listen to Maria whine and complain as they unpacked and decorated the apartment over the next few days.

“We can’t let the guys down.” Sean pushed.

“O,” Michael said, grabbing his coat. “But we don’t stay late and we get the rest of this stuff done tonight.” His tone was full of warning.

“No problem,” Sean said as he and Michael headed out to Sean’s truck

Michael looked up, meeting Max’s eyes for the first time since he started recounting the story. “I just can’t ….”. He just couldn’t finish it right now.

“So you went to a party at some girl Lindsay’s house. So what?” Max shrugged.

“Lindsay’s isn’t a house, it’s a club,” Michael clarified.

“So you went to a club,” Max said, still not understating what the big deal was.

Michael nodded. “A strip club. Lindsay’s is a strip club.”

“And?” Max prompted him.

“I told you I don’t want to say anymore.”

“You’ll feel better,” Max coaxed him.

“No I won’t. What do you think you’re a fucking shrink? I’m never gonna fell better. Don’t you get it?” He got up and punched his hand into the wall, wincing at the pain.

He should never have agreed to move in with Maria. He was a jinx and her life was now ruined because of him. He had only been thinking of himself.

“Let me see that,” Max said trying to grab his hand but Michael just pulled away.

“Leave me the fuck alone Max, I mean it,” he said. “I just wanna sleep right now.” He got back onto his bunk, pulling his throbbing hand against his chest, filling the cell with silence. Max climbed up to the top bunk deciding to do the same.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

“So honey, how did it go today, with your mom?” Alex asked his wife while they were eating at the dining room table.

“No change really,” she said forcing a smile. Max’s birthday was always a hard day for her. She had thought visiting her mother would be a good idea but it actually made her feel worse, as it reinforced the fact she had lost the two people that she was closest to in this world other than Alex.

“When I mentioned Max she started talking but it was brief,” She sighed as Alex took her hand across the table.

She had come home to find Alex had left work early to prepare a beautiful dinner for her, the table was set with their good china, white roses and burgundy candles and he had baked her favorite meal, Chicken Kiev. She smiled at him, resolved to stop her sulking for the rest of the evening and concentrate on this wonderful man sitting in front of her.

“It’s delicious Alex,” she said. “Thank you for going to all the trouble.”

“When it comes to you nothing is trouble,” he replied.

“Oh I can be trouble,” she said mischievously.

“Whatever do you mean, Isabelle?” he asked, feigning innocence.

“Oh, if you follow me into the bedroom after supper I would be more than happy to show you,” she purred.

“I am so glad that I decided to cook you this meal,” he laughed.

“Oh, so now the real reason comes out, you just wanted to get into my pants.” She pretended to look shocked.

“You don’t have to do anything, and you can still get into my pants,” she whispered.

“Really?” he asked, eyebrows cocked.

“Maybe I shouldn’t have told you that. Can’t give away all my secrets.”

“Maybe,” he laughed. “It’s nice to know, but I would still do all these things anyways.”

“I love you Alex.” She stared into his eyes.

“I love you too.”

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

“How did jasper make out last night?” Liz asked Serena when she came into the animal hospital.

Yesterday, a sick squirrel had been admitted. He was only a baby and was undernourished. He was so cute that she had fallen in love with him immediately and called him Jasper. It was the name of the first dog, she and Michael had when they were children.

“Not to bad. He didn’t sleep much, kept shaking like a leaf but I did get him to drink some milk out of a baby bottle,” Serena explained.

Liz put gloves on and opened Jasper’s cage pulling him out and holding him in her arms. “How would you like to come home with me tonight Jasper?” she asked. Jasper just nuzzled against her neck. ‘I take that as a yes,” she laughed.

“Liz, are you sure?” Serena knew Liz had a lot going on with her brother being recently admitted to jail.

“Of course. I need to keep my mind of all this stuff,” she sighed. “Besides it is my turn right? The world doesn’t just stop when you have problems.”

Serena smiled at her co worker and friend. She was always so strong and ready to fight all of life’s battles.

“How did the visit go yesterday?”

“Not well,” Liz answered as she picked up the clipboard and followed Serena around the lab checking on all of the animals.

“He’s not only refusing to see Maria, he’s refusing to see me now too.”

“Sorry.” Serena felt bad for her friend.

“And the worse part is that he knows Maria is pregnant.”

“And he still doesn’t want to see her?” Serena was surprised.

Liz just rolled her eyes. “This is Michael we are talking about. He probably thinks he is no good, has ruined Maria’s life.”

“And we always say Maria is a drama queen.”

“Not compared to Michael. “

“Well, what can you do?”

“Serena, I have to do something. He’s spiraling downhill fast. Someone has to be there to catch him.”

“So what will you do?”

“I don’t know, he won’t even see me.”

“Hey, why don’t you write to him?” she suggested.

Liz turned to look at Serena. That wasn’t a bad idea. “He probably wouldn’t read it,” she said after more consideration.

“I bet he would,” Serena said. “It’s just an idea.

“Maybe,” Liz replied.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Tess pulled her sedan into an employee’s only parking space in front of Mcleland and Heigl’s, a very well known Arizona law firm. She looked at the sign with a big smile feeling like the day her mother had first taken her to see Disney land when she turned 8 years old.

Today was her first day at Mcleland and Heigl’s. She had already passed the bar exam with flying colors and they were extremely anxious to take her on. From this moment on the sky was the limit. She knew it wouldn’t be easy, she’s have to put in over 80 hours a week, and her wedding was only a few months away, she still had lots of planning left to do and she and Kyle wanted to start a family right away. But Tess Harding, soon to become Tess Valenti was always up for a challenge. She would handle it all, and not just meagerly, she would be top in all that she undertook.

She was exhausted. It had been a long drive back from Arizona last night, but it had been worth it, she had really wanted to see Max. After all if it wasn’t for Max, she wouldn’t be where she is today. She thought back to a phone conversation she had with him long ago.

“Purgory is a punishable offense.”

“I know that Tess.”

“Were talking Jail time here.”

“I know Tess. I promise you it won’t come to that.”

“Max, I don’t know if I can. There has to be another way.” She couldn’t believe there were no other options.

“If there was another way, don’t you think I….Please Tess,.” he whined.

“Ok,” she sighed. She had loved him. How could she possibly say no?

She opened the car door and got out removing her sunglasses and throwing them on the car dash. She picked up her briefcase and then closed the door proceeding to straighten the new blazer Kyle had bought her so she could “knock their socks off” on her first day.

She started up the steps towards the buildings main entrance, about to embark on the first day of the dream she had held onto throughout her entire childhood. “Thank you Max Evans,” she said not loud enough that anyone else would ever hear, but loud enough that she knew it had been said.
Last edited by maya on Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maya
Addicted Roswellian

Post by maya »

Thank you so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it! Hope to see you at me chat tonight!

Again, your theories are all very interesting but I don't want to give anything away so I won't address them here. I do want to clear one thing up though. Max is in jail for Murder, not purgery.

Anyways, I hope you like this part. Interaction between Max and Liz won't start until part 6. Also, I know the foucs right now is really on why they are in jail and whether or not they are truly guilty but this story if I can pull it off the way I hope to is really one of friendship, mending wounds and a love story between Max and Liz. Anyways, I hope you continue to enjoy it!

orphyfets
killjoy
cherie
KatnotKath
tequathisy
FSUMW94
Grace52373
g7silvers
katilyz
RhondaAnn
POM
ISLANDGIRL5
lazza
vampyrax
pLANETv33n3ss
Erina
roswell3053
RASaero611
begonia9508
Maxsoulmate
dreamer19

Part 5

“So who was the blonde girl you were with the other day?” Michael asked Max as he haphazardly folded the towel Max had just handed him. He and Max were on prison laundry duty today, which sucked but at least they were away from the other unmentionables.

It had been a few days since Michael had smashed his hand, upon Max’s instance he had gone to the infirmary and had it examined, it wasn’t broken, just badly cut and bruised. Michael though, was still in a foul mood, withdrawn, and this was the first attempt he’d made at conversation in the 2 hours they’d been in the prison laundry room.

“Who?” Max asked, a vision of Liz quickly making it’s way into his mind.

“That blonde chick that visited you? Is she your girlfriend?” Michael gave him ‘an are you for real’ look. “I mean I can see how you could forget with all the swarms of women that come to visit you,” he said sarcastically.

“Oh Tess. No, she’s not my girlfriend,” he answered but didn’t volunteer any more information.

Clearly this wasn’t enough for Michael who stopped folding and threw one of the towels, hitting Max in the head.

Deciding to elaborate Max added, “She was my fiancé before…” at which point his voice trailed off and a look of sadness washed over his face.

“Sorry,” Michael sighed knowing Max was thinking about his father. Wasn’t there anything they could talk about that didn’t involve Sean or Max’s father? He doubted it, when you were a criminal it always came back to that, didn’t it? Maybe this was what life as a criminal was. Feeling like shit, full of remorse and dreams of what might have been. He would have to get used to it.

“Ah, don’t be. It would never have worked out anyway,” Max said, walking over to the wall and sitting down on the floor, his back against it.

Michael looked at him perplexed.

“You must have thought it would work if you asked her to marry you?” He asked as he sat down beside him.

“I did at the time but…” He tried to find the right words to describe what he had come to realize the last 4 years he was in here. “Tess was well my best friend…still is if people like us even have best friend. She ‘s sweet, smart. She’s great.” He smiled.

“And she’s hot so what’s the problem?” Michael asked not getting it at all.

“She and I were drawn together by life circumstances. We had a lot in common and that’s what our relationship was based on.”

Michael could tell by the way Max had said it that he wasn’t talking about liking the same bands or having the same favourite movies. Max’s next statement confirmed it.

“We understood things about each other that not many people could. That’s what drew us together and it was a type of love but it wasn’t …”

“I get it,” Michael said, even though he didn’t really get it, hoping Max wouldn’t go on about it in too much detail. He wasn’t as able to talk about feeling as Max was.

“So she called it off when you came in here?” Michael assumed.

Max shook his head. “I did. She was young, had her whole life ahead of her, I didn’t want her to waste it worrying about me.”

“Smart. I mean that’s why I broke off all ties with Maria. It’s better for her this way.”

“It’s not the same.” Max looked at him wishing he could knock some sense into him.

“Why not?”

“Your only in here for 3 years Michael. You can have a life still waiting for you when you when you get out.” He raised his voice in frustration.

Michael didn’t say anything and once again they found themselves in the uncomfortable silence they had visited often over the last few days.

“So,” Max said hoping to get the conversation rolling again, eyeing the white envelope Michael had been clutching onto all morning. “What’s that?” He pointed to his hand.

“Just a letter from Liz,” he said with a shrug, pushing the letter into his pocket, making it obvious he didn’t want to talk about it.

“You going to write her back?” Max asked.

“Nope.” Max knew that once again their conversation was over.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

As Liz drove into Maria’s driveway she wondered what sort of reception she would receive. Maria had been extremely moody the last week, most likely a combination of pregnancy hormones and Michael’s idiotic refusal to allow Maria to visit him. Two days ago, after Maria still hadn’t returned her calls she checked in on her to find her laying on the living room floor in the dark with absolutely no idea how long she had been there or when she had last eaten. The house was a mess and Maria hadn’t been to work. God, didn’t Michael realize he was making Maria suffer with his actions?

“Why hello Liz,” Maria yelled excitedly much to Liz’s surprise when she answered the door. “I just got home from work,” she said as she led Liz into the living room.

Liz looked around and was surprised to see that the living room was completely clean, the opposite of the state she had found it in 3 days ago when she had last visited.

“So you went to work?” Liz asked, pleased that Maria was no longer sulking but a little worried about the rapid transformation. She had gotten over it quickly, maybe too quickly, was it possible she was in denial?

“Liz.” Maria motioned for her to come sit beside her on the couch. “I sat around here from Monday til Thursday wallowing in self pity. I wasn’t eating, I was an emotional wreck and then yesterday I suddenly realized I can’t afford to do this. I am pregnant, my baby needs me and he or she needs Michael. So…I got in my car and drove over to the prison to see him, knock some sense into him.”

“What happened?” Liz asked.

“He did exactly what he told you he would.” Maria looked cross. “He refused. He knows I’m pregnant.” She pointed to her stomach “And he still refused.”

Liz’s face fell. “Oh Maria, I’m so sorry.” She had hoped Michael would give her a chance.

“In that moment, something just snapped. I thought you know what….I have put up with all of Michael’s commitment issues because I knew he loved me, never pushed, knew we’d never get married …that’s just not Michael’s style… but now he won’t even be here for me or our child when we need us.”

“Maria, he’s in Jail,” Liz said. What did Maria expect?

“No Liz, I’m not talking about him not being here physically. I know he can’t be and I don’t blame him for it. What happened to Sean was a tragedy, a great tragedy but it wasn’t Michael’s fault, I have never held it against him. He didn’t intend for Sean to die. That’s why it’s called manslaughter.”

Liz nodded.

“I’m talking about emotionally. He could be here for me. Let me visit him, let our child visit him, once he’s born. I could write him, show him pictures, he could be part of our life. It’s only 3 years. But no, Michael like usual insists on making this a million times hard than it needs to be and I just can’t go through this Liz.”

“Maria, give him time. He’ll come around.” Liz knew he would eventually. With Michael, it always took a while but he got there eventually, on Michael time as she always teased him.

“No Liz. He won’t and if he does it will be too late.”

“So what are you saying?”

“I’m saying it’s over Liz. I got up this morning, put my make up on, and a nice new suit and I went to the office free of Michael and all his baggage. I’ve got to make a new start for myself and my baby.”

Liz just nodded. She didn’t like it, but it was Maria’s choice to make.

“How would you feel if I moved in here Maria?” she asked suddenly. It was something she had been thinking about for the last few days and with Maria’s last statement she felt it was the perfect time to bring it up. “I could help you out with my niece or nephew,” she suggested.

“I would really like that.” Maria added taking her hand. “I know this whole thing is awkward…Michael being your brother and all.” She looked at Liz guilt in her eyes.

“Maria.” Liz squeezed her hand back. “We’ve been best friends since forever, that’s not going to change whether your with Michael or not, but like you said he is my brother and I’m not giving up on him.”

“I never thought you would, Liz.” Maria just smiled and shook her head. “I hope you can help him. God knows, he needs it.”

Liz didn’t want to tell Maria that she had written Michael a letter on Tuesday. He would probably have received it today. God Michael, I hope you read it and that you come to your sense before it’s too late. Maria might be putting on a brave front, but Liz knew it was just an act, Maria Deluca had been in love with Michael Parker since the day the two first met. She couldn’t turn her heart off completely, at least not yet.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

It was Friday morning and Isabelle was in a great mood. She had slept well and was going to present her new designs to her manager first thing this morning. She walked into the kitchen and poured herself a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice, joining Alex at the table.

“Good morning, honey,” she said giving him a kiss on the check before taking the seat across from him.

“Hey,” he said, looking up from the paper to give her a smile, his eyes quickly drifting back to what he was reading.

Isabelle wondered what had Alex so interested, he wasn’t one to get absorbed in the morning paper and he had an uncomfortable look on his face.

“Alex, what is it?”

Alex sighed and put the paper down. “Just something in the paper. I’m not sure if I should tell you about it or not.” He knew she wouldn’t like it but if she found out through someone else she would be very annoyed he hadn’t mentioned it to her.

“Well now you have to tell me, Alex.” She raised her eyebrows sternly so he new she meant business.

“There was an announcement in the paper, a wedding announcement. Looks like Tess is back in town, she’s getting married to someone named.” He picked up the paper again and looked at the announcement. “Kyle Valenti. Do we know him?”

“No. Never heard of him,” Isabelle frowned; her good mood dispelled by the news Tess was back in town.

“What else does it say?” she asked.

“She’s working at some law firm. Mclleland and Heigl. Hey didn’t you hire one of the lawyers there to take Max’s case?”

“Yes,” she sighed. That was one of the top Arizona law firms. Stuart Matheson, one of their lawyers had been Max’s defense attorney.

“They defended Max. Some great job they did.” She rolled her eyes.

“I can’t believe she had the nerve to come back here.”

“Isabelle, she can live wherever she wants.”

Isabelle just gave him an icy stare.

“Isabelle, we were all friends. You, Max, Tess and I. In fact wasn’t she your friend first? Weren’t you the one that introduced her to Max?” he asked. She was already friend’s with Tess when they had started dating and he vaguely remembered the story.

Isabelle nodded. She had met Tess first.

Isabelle and Tess went to the same high school but since Tess was one year older than her they ran in different social circles. It was September, the first week of a new school year. Max was in his first year of college, Isabelle was starting grade 10, Tess grade 11.

Max had dropped her off at the high school on his way to his first college class. They had driven in the jeep, the top down and when she arrived at school she made a bee line for the girls bathroom, hoping to fix her hair, which the wind has blown into a giant friz, before making her way to class.

When Isabelle opened the door to the girl’s room, her eyes were immediately drawn to a blonde girl, standing by the sink, tears streaming down her face while she tried to cover up a purple bruise on the left side of her face.

As soon as she was aware of Isabelle’s presence, the girl quickly turned away, obviously trying to hide her face. The bell had already rung, signaling first period and she probably thought no one would find her in her.

Isabelle cautiously approached the girl, her car hair immediately forgotten.

“Are you ok?” she asked once she was standing directly behind her.

“I’m fine,” the girl answered trying very unsuccessfully to hide the pain in her voice.

“You might as well turn around. I already saw it,” Isabelle said.

Once the girl had turned around and their eyes met Isabelle spoke again. “Here, give me that.” She took the sponge from her hand and grabbed the foundation that was sitting on the counter. “Sit on the sink.”

The girl just looked at her quizzically.

“I can do a much better job covering that up for you but we don’t have much time. First bell has already rung.”

“Thanks,” she replied as Isabelle started to apply the foundation to her skin.

“Your Tess right?”

Tess nodded.

“Isabelle Evans,” she said extending her hand.

“So was it your boyfriend or your father that did this to you?”

“I…you have it wrong…it was nothing like that…I fell and hit my face on the side of the kitchen table.”

“And that’s why your in here hiding?” Isabelle’s face was one of disbelief. “Like I said, was it your boyfriend or your father?”

Tess played with the end of her shirt nervously “I…I don’t have a boyfriend.” Her words were mumbled.

Isabelle just nodded. She had her answer.

Isabelle looked at the girl closely. She was actually quite attractive, long wavy blonde hair, crystal blue eyes but she was dressed in baggy pants that had a stain and a big plaid shirt, and old sneakers. She obviously didn’t have much money. Neither did Isabelle or Max but they both worked part time jobs and Isabelle had learned to sew. Most people didn’t know she sewed most of her own clothes, they were always the latest fashion, she bought patterns and amended them so they would be like the fashions she saw in Elle and Marie Claire.

“All done,” Isabelle said and Tess jumped off of the sink,

“Thank you.”

“I was wondering if you could help me out with something?”

Tess just shrugged and said sure, but her face had fallen and Isabelle new why. She probably thought she was going to demand something of her in return for the favour. She had a feeling that was what life was like for Tess, people demanding so much from her, so much more than any 16 year old should ever have to give.

“I would like to make you a dress.”

“You…Why?”

“Lot’s of reasons. I like to sew. The new pattern I have would look so much better on you then it would on me. But most importantly. “She said as she put her arm around Tess as they opened the bathroom door and walked into the hall. “I was hoping we could become friends.”

Tess looked at her shock. “I would really like that, thank you.”

“Ok. Come by my house tonight and I’ll take your measurements and show you the fabric I have.”

Just as the hall divided and the girls were about to head off in different directions for there first class Tess whispere, “You won’t tell anyone, right?”

Isabelle shook her head. “My lips are sealed. See you after school.”

Isabelle smiled as she made her way to class. Her arrogant brother would be absolutely shocked when he found out his sister the “ice princess” as he liked to call her had not only made a new friend but was also helping someone in need. Yes, this might finally be the year the term “ice princess” was finally laid to rest.

“I shouldn’t have told you,” Alex chastised himself, his wife was visibly upset and this was an important day for her.

“No honey. It’s ok. I’m glad you did,” Isabelle said as she got up from the table and put her now empty juice glass in the sink.

“You know, she had a really hard life Isabelle. I think it’s great that she’s done so well for herself.”

“I had a hard life too. And Max has had the hardest of all of us,” she protested.

“I know Isabelle I just hate seeing you so angry at her,” he tried to explain. He didn’t care about Tess, he cared about Isabelle and carrying around that kind of hatred for someone wasn’t good for her health.

“I don’t have time for this now Alex. I’ve got to get going.” She grabbed her purse.

“Good luck on your presentation. You’ll do great.”

“I always do,” Isabelle replied and then muttered to herself “at least when it comes to my work I do. Why can’t the rest of my life be the same?”

As Isabelle got in her car she thought more about the 4 year friendship with Tess. Helping her that first day they met, had only been the tip of the ice berg. It was followed by many more good deeds, even Tess admitted that she and Max had changed her life for the better.

Once the new line went out and things died down, she would pay Miss. Harding a visit at Mclleand and Heigl. Maybe if she hadn’t given so much charity to her over the years, there would be some left for her brother. It was time she pay back some of what she had taken.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

It was finally the weekend. Tess’s first week at Mclleland and Heigl’s had been an exciting one but also extremely demanding; trying to remember the names associated with all the faces, organize her office and figure out the lay of the land so to speak.

It was now Saturday and she had met Kyle at one of the potential locations for the reception. They had left this too late and there weren’t many places left on such short notice. It wasn’t exactly what Tess was hoping for but they decided to snap it up before they ran out of options, besides with the right flowers, tables it would look pretty nice. It had a big dance floor too which was a bonus, she knew she would be spending a lot of time on the dance floor at her reception.

Now they were dining out at one of her favorite restaurants, she hadn’t been back to Arizona since left for Law School in Boston two years ago. She was enjoying it, and was glad that she and Kyle had decided to settle down here, she would take the Arizona sunshine over the cold Boston winters any day.

“So, how does it feel to have completed your first week?” Kyle asked her from across the table.

“Pretty damn good,” she said with a smile.

“Ok, let’s toast to pretty damn good,” Kyle said as he lifted his wine glass up.

“May our life always be,” she said as she clanged her class against his and they both took a sip from their class to bind the toast.

“Do you ever think about how different our lives would be if only one thing had happened differently?” he asked her once he had set hi glad down.

Tess scrunched her face up. “What do you mean?” she asked.

“Well, I was just thinking about how lucky I was to have you and if you hadn’t gotten that scholarship to Law School we would never have met.”

“That’s true.” She had never thought about that before.

Her mind drifted to so many other defining moments. The day she had met Max Evans 8 years ago was probably the single most defining point in her life.

Tess remembered the day she had met Max Evans like it was yesterday. You just don’t forget the day you meet your knight in shining armour. She had gone over to Isabelle’s after school to try on the dress she had made her. They had gone to the kitchen to get something to drink. Max had just arrived home from a late afternoon class and was standing over the open fridge drinking straight from the orange juice carton.

“God Max, could you be more gross. What are we supposed to drink?” Isabelle demanded hands on her hips.

Max turned and noticed Tess for the first time, his gaze seemed to penetrate right through her and she blushed under his inspection.

“Tess this is my brother Max.” Isabelle introduced them.

Tes put her hand out but Max just stood and stared.

“Earth to Max,” Isabelle said with a laugh.

‘Wha?” he said and then suddenly noticed Tess’s hand. “I’m Max Evans,” he said taking hold of her outstretched hand.

“We’ve already established that,” Isabelle laughed once again.

“Well,” Isabelle said once they were back in her room. “I’ve never seen my arrogant brother at a loss for words.”

“What do you mean?” Tess asked hopefully. She had never seen a guy look at her like that before. Walking around in baggy clothes and your head down didn’t exactly draw much attention to you.

“I mean that I was right when I told you that this dress was going to change your life,” Isabelle answered and the two girls erupted into giggles.

After that, Isabelle was determined to set them up. She new Max was attracted to Tess and was continually brining her up in her conversations with him.

“He’s in college now, he doesn’t have time to date.” Isabelle rolled here eyes, as she told her what Max had said..

“Ya and I’m in high school,” Tess said sadly. “What chance do I really have?” Max Evans was the most attractive and kind hearted guy she had ever met and there was nothing she wanted more in this world than to be with him.

“Don’t you worry Tess. I know Max better than anyone. I’ll find you a way into his heart.”

The next time Tess saw Max was one week after Isabelle had made that statement. It wasn’t under the best of circumstances but he changed that, he always had a way of turning her worst moments into her best.

Tess ran to Isabelle’s house as fast as she could, her hiccups and sobs echoing through the late night air. She banged on Isabelle’s window and when it was opened could see the look of fear pass over Isabelle’s face. She knew she must look horrible, she could feel the blood dripping down the side of her face and her head felt heavy as Isabelle helped her make her way clumsily through the window.

“So how bad is it?” Isabelle asked as Tess slumped in the chair in the corner of her bedroom and proceed to turn to the side, lifting up the back of her shirt to reveal the large welt, evidence her father had taken his belt to her bare skin.

Her legs felt wobbly as she attempted to stand. “Tess, I’ll be right back.” Isabelle tried to keep her panic from making it’s way into her voice..

The last thing Tess remembered were the sound of Isabelle’s footsteps running down the hall, calling out to Max for help, then everything around her went black

“Tess are you still here?” Kyle asked bringing her back to the present. She had obviously drifted off.

“Oh sorry Kyle,” she said.

“What are you thinking about?” he asked her.

“How much I love you.” She smiled and took his hand in hers across the table. And she did love Kyle, he was everything she had ever wanted in a husband, but she had also loved Max once too. He had not only saved her from the tragedy that was her life, but had provided her with one that had all of the elements she had been missing, the most important of which was love. She knew exactly what Kyle was talking about, about moments. There wasn’t a day that didn’t go by where she didn’t ask herself if she done the right thing all those years ago. If she had said something different on the stand would it have made a difference, would Max still be in jail?

She really wanted to do something to help Max but for as long as he refused her help, she was at a loss as to what she could actually do.

“To the scholarship, that led us to each other.” Kyle lifted his glass up for another toast.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Michael was still in the shower, Max had already gotten dressed. He noticed an envelope sticking out of the pocket of Michael’s pants that were thrown across the bench in front of the lockers.

He wondered if it was the letter from Liz. Looking around to make sure no one was watching he pulled the letter out of the envelope and opened it.

Dear Michael,

Since you won’t see me in person I decided to try writing to you instead. The truth is I’m scared. I know you blame yourself for what happened to Sean, but you are the only one that does. We all understand that what happened that night is an accident.

I know you are refusing to see us because you don’t want to hurt us anymore than you already have. You hate yourself and you don’t feel you deserve us but don’t you understand that we need you. That what you’re doing is not accomplishing what you want, it is actually having the opposite affect.

I feel like everyday we lose another part of you and there is nothing that we can do to stop it. Your making this harder for me, for Maria, the baby. Please let us in, let us all grieve Sean’s loss and heal together.

Last night I took a sick squirrel home from the lab. I named him Jasper, after that first dog we had. Do you remember him? He was a stray we found eating out of the garbage in our open garage You begged mom and dad to let us keep him, they did but wouldn’t let him in the house though so you spent hours building him that dog house so that he would be warm. It was winter and every night after supper you and I would bundle up in our warm coats and go sit in the garage playing with Jasper. Mom would bring us hot chocolates to keep us warm. You looked after Jasper just like you looked after mom when she got sick, and me after she died. Michael, let me look after you now. Let me know that you are ok.

If you can’t write back to me then fine but at least agree to see Maria. Her heart has been hurt the mostly deeply of all of us.

Love your sister,

Liz

Max put the letter back where he had found it and sighed. Why had her letter affected him so deeply? Everything about Liz affected him that way.

She was desperate to know that Michael was ok but he knew Michael had no intention of writing her. He wanted nothing more than to calm her fears, but how could he? A thought suddenly occurred to him. He had noticed one of those personalized stickers with her name and address on the top left hand corner of the envelope and he wondered how she would react if he was to write her back. He would just write once, to let her know Michael was fine and that would keep an eye on him. Just once, because he was sure she would never write someone like him back.

“Hey Maxie Boy.” Max recognized the voice and instantly turned around.

“What do you want, Gary?” he asked, eyes dark, now back in his gruff prison survival demeanor.

“Hey Chill.” Gary put his hands up in the air. “Can’t a guy make conversation with his ex cellmate?”

“I don’t know can he?” Max didn’t like the feeling he was getting.

“So I see you and your new cell mate are awfully chummy,” he said just as Michael emerged from the shower stall a towel wrapped around his waist.

“What’s it to you,” Max spat out.

“We think you’re a little to close and we don’t like it.” He stood closer to Max and reached into his pocket.

Max could see two of Gary’s goons coming up behind Michael.

“And you know what happens when we don’t like something, don’t you Maxie boy?” he said hand still in his pocket. “I believe it took 5 stitches didn’t it? Some of my best work.” He was referring to the wound he had inflicted on Max’s abdomen 2 years ago.

Suddenly each of the goons grabbed one of Michael’s arms and Max realized it was 3 against two and they were going to have to fight.
Last edited by maya on Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
maya
Addicted Roswellian

Post by maya »

A/N: OK so I know it took me a while but I finally have the next part. Anything in Italics is the past. Also, Gary talks a little bit slang so those typos are intentional.I am working on my other stories now. The next part of Surviving secrets will be up on the AA board soon.

Thank you for the wonderful feedback and please keep it coming. I am really enjoying this story and you all make writing it so much fun:

orphyfets -yes they really do have sad lives but things will get better. You’ll find out more about the letter in this part.

Lazza-you will find out about Gary and his goons in ths part.

Roswell3053-you will see Max’s letter to Loz in ths part. You will have to wait for the next part to see if he writes her back.

RhondaAnn-I am glad for Maria as well.

Erina-youll have to wait and see on that one.

pLANETv33n3ss- Glad you like the lamptrimmer stuff.

vampyrax – thank you. I’ll try to be faster with the next update.

begonia9508 – thank you.

Tequathisy – the letter will be in this part.

POM- I know it took me a while-better late than never.

Cherie-I know cliffhangers are a bitch but most of the story will be this way-there is a lot to unravel-every character has a secret.

FSUMSW94 -I can assure you that Max and Micheal will not be raped in this universe.

Gamma Rho Girl- Thank you. I am really glad that you care about each character-that was what I was really aiming for. I am a Tess fan as well.

G7 silvers-I have answered your question about how long Max is in prision in this next part.

Rosbuffyangelfanatl- don’t worry, can’t kill of my main characters.

Dreamer19-thanks. You’ll see it in this part.

Evelynn – thanks for the bumps.

Alien614- thanks.

Touched by an alien-I am finally back.

Lurkers- Thank you.

Part 6

Max’s eyes narrowed as he studied Gary closely. Was Gary bluffing? That was the question he was trying to answer. Did he really have a weapon in his pocket or something like a piece of sharp metal that would work just as well? His body language was that of a man who seemed so sure of himself, but of course Gary always did and two years of experience as his cell mate had taught Max that Gary also liked to bluff. Max didn’t want to start fighting if their was no reason to, he had managed to avoid it since his attack two years ago, but now that Michael was involved as well he just couldn’t take that chance. How could he write a letter to Liz promising her brother was ok, if he had let him be beaten up? He looked over at Michael who was struggling to get away from the goons and he was only in a towel, what a predicament to be in. He had to assume Gary was armed and act accordingly, it was the only way.

Max and Gary stood together in what could only be described as a face off. Their eyes never left their mark, silently daring the other to make the first move.

Gary’s hand was slowly and slyly making it’s way out of his pocket, just before it was about to break out of its confines, Max clenched his right hand into a fist and jabbed Gary square in the stomach. When Garry took a step back and bent over Max quickly moved forward and jabbed him again, this time in the top of the head. Gary took another weak step backward still leaning forward in pain as Max pulled his right leg up and kneed Gary in the groin with great force, watching him barrel down to the locker room floor with a groan.

Max smiled inwardly, as he stared down at Gary, still lying face down on the floor in front of him. It hadn’t been much of a fight, for him anyway but it had gone down exactly as he would have liked. Gary would be sore for a few days but had suffered no permanent damage. Satisfied with the results, he turned towards the end of the locker room where Michael was still being restrained by Gary’s goons.

“Game over boys. Let him go,” he said as he walked toward them, seeing the relief flooding Michael’s face..

“I don’t think so,” one of the guys replied.

“Oh, so you really want Michael and I to take you out like poor Gary there?” Max asked with a laugh. Didn’t they know when it was time to let up?

“Max,” Michael yelled suddenly, fright in his eyes but it was to late. Max immediately turned around to have his nose smashed with Gary’s fist, within seconds blood was dripping down his face. Gary had somehow gotten up and made his way up behind him. Michael wondered if Gary’s groaning and injuries had all been an act.

Max hit back but Gary ducked and swung at him again, this time in the stomach, and he continued to hit him again and again, Max stepping back until his back hit the row of lockers that was behind him. There was nowhere for him to go.

Michael struggled to try and break free of the goons. He kicked one of them in the legs and immediately received a punch to his eye, that he knew would turn black tomorrow. He wanted to get to Max but he knew it was too late.

Gary leaned against Max keeping him securely against the locker and then held the razor blade up to him with his left hand. He took a look at it with a grin and then held it directly in front of Max’s neck.

“Oh what to do . What to do,” he said toying with Max. “I could cut you here,” he said as he ran the razor blade across Max’s neck lightly, so it wouldn’t break the skin. He didn’t want the fun to be over yet. “Or here.” He held it over Max’s eye. “Or how would the ladies like it of you had scars over here.” He passed the blade threateningly across his cheek.

“And your friend Michael,” he said as he turned to look in his direction, to see Michael still struggling to get loose. “Tsk Tsk, he’s in only a towel. Maybe we should get Jack in here to show him a good time. What do you think?”

Michael looked to Max mercifully and begin to struggle harder to break free. Wasn’t Jack the one Max had warned him about, the one who liked guys?

“Don’t worry Michael. Jack won’t be bothering you,” Max yelled over to him.

“Why do you say that?” Gary questioned.

“Because Gary this is between you and me. It has nothing to do with Michael. Let him go.”

“Well, that all depends on what he knows,” Gary lowered his voice so that Michael and his two companions could no longer hear the conversation across the room.

Taking his cue, Max lowered his own voice in reply. “So I was right. This is about your little secret.” Max rolled his eyes. “Michael knows nothing.”

“Oh how reassuring,” he said and then punched Max in the gut once again continuing to hold him against the locker.” See that’s the problem….I don’t believe you.”

“You see,’ he continued. “You two have been spending a lot of time together, a lot of time talking and I bet one day when I walked by or something you said hey Michael wanna hear somethin funny about Gary.”

“Hate to break it to you Gary but I make it a general rule to never think about you, which means I also don’t talk about you,” Max replied with sarcasm.

“See I’d like to believe you, really I would, but I’d never know for sure, always be wonderin if you were gonna say somethin so I figure if I finish you and Michael off right now I won’t have to worry about it no more.”

“No, then you’ll really have to worry about it,” Max said in a threatening tone.

“What do you mean?”

“I’m not stupid. I was going to be a lawyer you know.”

“So that means squat in here,” Gary snorted.

“Maybe but it’s still worth something in the real world,” Max explained. “After you took the razor blade to my stomach 2 years ago, my lawyer came to visit.”

‘So,” Gary shrugged.

“I wrote your little secret down and sealed it in an envelope with instructions that should I die in here, they be made public.”

Gary’s face paled briefly only to be replaced with smugness once again. “Your bluffin.”

“Maybe…but see that’s the thing….you’ll never really know for sure,” Max shrugged. Gary wasn’t the only one who could bluff.

“Damn,” Gary cursed knowing that he couldn’t risk what Max said being right. “Let him go,” Gary yelled to his goons as he also let go of his grasp on Max, slipping the blade back into his pocket.

Once he was free, Michael immediately made his way over to his locker and threw his t-shirt on, grabbed a pair of pants and went over to the other side of the lockers to change.

“I thought we were gonna get em,” one of the goons whined.

“Nope. Change of plans. These two guys are wusses. No challenge at all,” Gary said as Max chuckled inwardly, knowing Gary couldn’t loose face with his goons.

Just as they were about to head out of the door Gary turned back to Max. “Hey, so I promise not to but what if someone else kills you. Will the envelope still be opened?” he asked.

“Yup. Those were the instructions. I mean what if you had just asked one of your goons to do it.”

“But that’s not fair. Anyone could kill you,” he whined.

“I know so I guess you’ll have to make sure that doesn’t happen. Oh and watch out for Michael too.”

“Now, wait man, I said I wouldn’t hurt you, I didn’t say nothin about him,” Gary warned.

“Next time my lawyer comes out, I’m having him added to the instructions. If anything happens to either of us…”

“I get it,” Gary said cutting Max off before he finished. And he really did get it. If anyone laid a hand on Max or Michael he was screwed.

“So,” Michael asked Max if they headed back towards the cafeteria for dinner. “What exactly happened back there?”

“Let’s just say he won’t even so much as look at us the wrong way again,” Max explained.

“Well whatever you did thanks,” Michael gave Max a quick pat on the shoulder.

“No need to. It was me he was trying to pick a fight with. You just happened to be there.”

“What happened between you 2 years ago, that left you with that gash?”

“Let’s just say when I was first here I was sort of tough. I had to be, everyone was out for blood, especially that first year. I wasn’t like Gary, looking for a fight, but when I found myself in a certain type of situation I did not hesitate to fight back.”

“So some of the rumors I heard…”

“Were true, yes,” Max smiled. “Anyways Gary and I got along, he knew better than to cross me. But one day I witnessed him doing something. When he came back to the cell that night he took the blade to me. I didn’t even see it coming. Ever since then I tried to stay low, not talk to many people, become as invisible as possible.”

Michael nodded. “So he thought you told me whatever it is you witnessed.”

“yes, but I didn’t and I won’t.”

Michael nodded again, glad Max hadn’t told him. He had a feeling the less he knew the better.

“Ya well next time that’s gonna happen, please warn me. I never want to be restrained by two goons when I am wearing nothing but a towel.”

Max laughed. “It was a pretty funny sight.”

“I’ll bet.” Michael couldn’t help but grin as well. It wasn’t funny at the time, but it was now. “How about when you kneed Gary in the groin. That was totally a girl move.”

“Yes, I got that move from my sister. She tried that one out on her ex boyfriend when she found him cheating on her.”

Both men continued to laugh until they reached the cafeteria line, stopping only so they wouldn’t draw any unwanted attention to themselves. Laughing was something neither of them had done in a long tine and it felt good. Michael was glad Max had decided to let someone else into his life again, and that that someone was him.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Tess and Kyle had moved into their new apartment three days ago and were busy unpacking trying to get their place set up. Kyle found himself doing most of it, Tess had stayed late at work the last few nights, but he didn’t mind. He figured, he would have to get used to it, not just because he was soon to be a lawyer’s husband, but because he would be Tess’s husband, and Tess put her all into any job she undertook. He knew she came from nothing and had had a horrible family upbringing and he sometime wondered if she was still trying to prove herself, if that was why she worked so hard. He hoped he could show her, that she had nothing to prove, especially to him, that just who she was , was good enough.

Tess sat in bed looking over one of the new cases she would be assisting with at work while she waited for Kyle to finish his shower and join her. Her mind drifted to Max, lately it had been making it’s way there quite often . Tonight she was remembering the first time she visited him in jail 4 years ago, just days after he had been found guilty.

“I did what you said.” She looked up at him sadly. “And now your in this place.” She looked around the visiting room with a shudder, than back at his face. He had been through so much in his life, had always been her rock ,because of this she had been fooled into thinking their was nothing he couldn’t take but today was different, she could see it in his eyes. Max Evans was breaking.

“Thank you.” He nodded and squeezed her hand. “My accountant will have the money wired to your account tomorrow.”

“Max, I don’t want the money,”she stuttered. He had done so much for her, she didn’t want him to think that she had only returned the favor for money. “I did it because you asked me to.”

“I know Tess but I want you to have it. I was saving it for Law school.” He shook his head and took a deep breathe. “But let’s face it. I’ll never go. You use it.”

Knowing better than to argue she just nodded her head, fighting tears. He was the one locked up in here, he was the one facing this mess, she would not be the one to cry, only he had that right and he wasn’t even choosing to exercise it.

“I’ll come visit,” her tone was encouraging. “You don’t have to go through this alone.”

He just shook his head.

“Tess, it’s over.” The words were sharp, cutting through her like a knife.

“So that’s it, the going gets rough, you just dump me.” Her voice was laced with rage. “We are going to get you out,” she had whined.

He shook his head again. “Tess we can’t be seen together anymore.” Everything he had done, the pain and heartache he had caused could not be in vain.

“What about the money, what am I supposed to say?” Everyone knew she came from nothing. An ivy league education for Tess Harding was sure to raise some eyebrows.

“Tell them it was a scholarship.”

“Max, I.” She took his hand, never wanting to let it go. “I can’t Max, I can’t live without you.”

Max let go of her hand and looked away. This conversation was too hard, he needed her to leave. “Tess, finish your undergrad, get accepted to Law school. Follow your dreams.” Live the life I have always dreamed about he thought. Live it for both of us.

“What about us?” she asked once more.

“Tess, we never would have made it,” he said softly, compassion in his amber eyes.

She just nodded in response. She loved him more than words could ever describe but his words rung true. She knew that it was the secrets of their childhoods that had always united them. They both had parents who should never have been allowed to parent, both felt the sting of their fathers hand on a regular basis.

“I can’t just forget you,” she argued once again, still not willing to give up. She could live with the breakup but not with the thought of never seeing him again.

Hi resistance was faltering. “I’ll make you a deal. You can come back and visit me once after you’ve finished Law School. Will you do that?” he asked. It would be in 4 years time. Suspicions would have settled by then, or better yet, maybe she would have forgotten him.

She nodded and stood up, staring at the man who had been her salvation for 4 years, her lover for 3 of them and who would be her friend for eternity. He stood up as well and although he didn’t say anything, she could tell he was sharing her thoughts.

She turned ready to leave. “We did make it for a while though, didn’t we?” she asked turning back towards the table.

Max leaned forward placing a chaste kiss on her soft lips. He then whispered in her ear. “Yes, we did.” When he pulled back he had a smile on his face. She looked at him one last time , trying to memorize every last feature on his face before she turned once more and walked away.

The moment the door closed behind her the tears started. Max Evans was putting on a brave face, begging her to let him go so she could go and live the life she had always dreamed of. He was everything that was pure and true in the world, how anyone could ever believe him to be a murder, she would never understand.

He had always been there to save her, would she really be able to face her life on her own? She took a deep breathe as she walked towards her car. She would find a way to stay strong, if for no other reason than because Max Evans had asked her to.

“Thinking about Max?” Kyle asked when he entered the room in a pair of boxers, his hair still wet from his shower.

She nodded as he lifted the covers back to join her.

“You’ve been thinking about him a lot since your visit last week,” he onserved.

“I have,” she answered honestly watching his reaction carefully. She didn’t want to lie to him. “Does that bother you?”

Kyle leaned back against the head board and thought about it for a minute. “No. Of course not.” He cupped her face with his hand and gave her a soft kiss. “I understand how important he is to you. He’s really the only family you have, isn’t he?”

Tess visibly relaxed, glad Kyle wasn’t the jealous type. He was right, that was it, she would always think of Max as her family, her father was dead, mother was no where to be found. She missed Max and she hated to see him hurting.

Kyle put his arm around Tess, and pulled her against him, her head resting on his shoulder, her blonde wavy hair, fanning out across his chest.

Tess had never been one to say much about her past but when they had gotten engaged she had confided in him about the abuse she had suffered and how Max and Isabelle had helped to save her, had given her a life full of love and friendship. He had been surprised to find out that this same man who had saved his Tess, had also killed a man. Whoever said that ‘cruelty and caring can exist in the same heart’ must have had it right.

“So how was he, when you saw him I mean?” Kyle asked as he played with one of Tess’s curls.

“Ok. I had heard that he had hardened up in their but he seemed like the old Max, only a bit more somber.”

“That’s to be expected given where the guy is.” He felt sorry for him.

“I guess so,” Tess yawned. “I would have liked him to walk me down the aisle.”

“I know,” he said. “But you know that will never happen.”

“What if he gets out?” she asked.

“I thought he wasn’t eligible for parole until he had served 14 years? That leaves another ten, doesn’t it?”

“He does but you know something might come up?” she suggested hopefully.

“Come up? What could come up Tess?” he asked his fiancé, looking at her quizzically. “The only way he will be coming to our wedding is if he escapees.” Kyle chuckled.

Tess’s face fell. She didn’t find it funny at all. She wished Max would escape, but if she couldn’t even convince him to let her represent him, she doubted he would be up for breaking out of prison.

“And I’m not sure I want a wanted criminal at our wedding do you?” he continued to tease her.

Again Tess just shook her head in defeat at his comment, thankful Kyle hadn’t picked up on her lack of enthusiasm with his joke. It wasn’t his fault though. She may have told him about her past, but she had left out Max’s. As far as Kyle was concerned, Max was a nice guy once upon a time who made a bad choice and was now serving his time for it.

“Let’s get some sleep,” he said as he gave her a kiss and reached to turn out the light.

“Goodnight,” she sighed, part of her enjoying the utter contentment she felt in Kyle’s arms, the other part feeling guilt that Max was in some cell on a hard bed with absolutely no happy ending in sight.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Liz pulled up into her work parking space at nine thirty. She was running late because she had stopped by her old apartment to pick up the mail her landlord had been collecting for her. She had moved out of the apartment and in with Maria the previous week.

Liz glanced down at the large pile of mail in her lap and started to leaf through it. Bills. There were so many bills, phone, electric, credit card. She laughed when she saw the cable bill, she had been paying for cable for over a year and yet she rarely ever watched TV.

When she got to the envelope at the bottom of the pile, she couldn’t help but squeal in delight. The return address in the upper left hand corner was of the Sante Fe state prison. Michael had written her back. She threw the mail in her bag and opened the car door, she couldn’t wait to open the letter, couldn’t wait to tell Serena she was right.

“Well hello slow poke,” Serena greeted her as she entered the lab.

“Well hello,” Liz responded happily much to Serena’s surprise. This was the first time she had seen Liz smile since Michael had gone to jail.

“So Jasper survived his first night here on his own,” she explained happily. It had been the first night, one of them hadn’t taken him home. “You were right about him being ready Liz. He ate on his own to,” she said as they made their way to his cage and Serena pointed to his empty food dish.

“Oh I just knew you could do it Jasper,” Liz cooed at him like a baby.

“Alright, spill. What has you in such a good mood?” Serena asked.

“This!” \Liz said excitedly pulling Michael’s letter out of her bag and flashing it in front of Serena’s eyes.

“What is it?” Serena asked.

“I took your wonderful advice and wrote a letter to Michael and look” she pointed to the return address. “He wrote me back.”

“Well what did he say? Is he going to see Maria?” Serena asked with interest, pleased her idea was working out.

“I don’t know, I haven’t read it yet.”

“Well what are you waiting for?” Serena asked in shock. She thought Liz would have ripped it open the second she had received it.

“Should I read it now?” she asked her friend.

“Of course you should open it now. I want to know what it says and I don’t want to wait until I see you tomorrow to find out.”

“Ok.” Liz smiled and took a seat on the table and ran the letter opener across it’s seal, pulling out the single sheet folded inside. She unfolded the letter carefully and began to read.

Dear Liz,

My name is Max Evans and I am Michael Parker’s cell mate. I’m sure you think it strange that I am writing you, I find it strange myself. Michael told me he wasn’t planning to write you back and I could only imagine how filled with worry you were, so I am writing this letter to put your mind at ease.

Michael is doing as well as can be expected. He has pushed you and Maria away because he is wracked with guilt, still blaming himself for Sean’s death, the particulars of which he still hasn’t given me. He feels your lives will be better without him in it. I know his actions have been hurtful to you both and I am sure I don’t need to tell you how stubborn he can be, but please understand his intentions are good, he is only thinking of you both. I am working on him though, not sure how much of a difference it will make, but hopefully he will change his mind.

I saw what you wrote about the squirrel you are looking after names Jasper and the story you told of the dog by the same name that you and Michael shared as children. My sister and I have a similar memory, only it was of a cat, named Tabby. I find myself thinking a lot about the simpler times in my life lately, when you are in here there’s a lot of time for that, thinking. You must be a really caring person if you’ve devoted your life to caring for sick animals.

I know this is less than ideal and most definitely not that letter you were expecting. I hope it was not wrong of me to write you. I was in the visitor’s room the last 2 times you met with Michael. You looked so sad that my heart went out to you and I just wanted you to know that your brother was ok and I am watching out for him. Hopefully this gives you some peace of mind.

I don’t expect a reply, but would be honored if you did write me back. I would be more than happy to keep you updated on Michael’s life in here, and it would actually be nice to have someone to write to. Don’t be too hard on him. His life is not easy. I should know.

Sincerely,

Max Evans

Liz read the entire letter without uttering a word. He was right, it was definitely not what she had expected, in fact it was so far from what she had expected that she didn’t know how to react at all. Once she read the last word she looked up to see Serena still sitting across from her an eager expression on her face.

“Well, don’t keep me in suspense. What did that pig headed brother of yours say?” she asked. Liz’s blank face had her a little worried. She wondered if Michael had just written her to ask him not to write him again. That would be so typical.

“It wasn’t from Michael,” Liz answered silently still trying to absorb everything she had read.

“Well who was it from then?” she asked in surprise.

“Max Evans.”

“Who is Max Evans?”
Last edited by maya on Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maya
Addicted Roswellian

Post by maya »

Well here is the next part. Thank you so much for the feedback, it means so much to me. Please keep it coming. Also thank you to my new BETA Pamela :D

Children of Antar City was also updated today.

roswell3053 - your question will be answered in part 8

KatnotKath - Thank you

Evelynn - thanks for the bump

txndreamer06 - thank you

tequathisy - thanks

FSU/MSW-94 - I am also glad the guys were not harmed.

RoswellFreamer_bb10 - There will be more letters to come.

Mica - Thank you for reading.

orphyfets - you will have to wait for the next part to see if Liz writes back

cherie- thank you

begonia9508 - Yes Max is a great man!

Erina -yup Max knows something embrassing about Gary!

Lazza - thanks

Rhonda Ann - yes it is agreat way for her to havge some contact with Michael

Vampyrax - I thought your pen pal comment was so cute that I added it to Serena's dialogue in this part. Thanks!

Gamma Rho Girl - Thank you for the compliment.

Chapter 7

“Who is Max Evans?” asked Serena, repeating the question when Liz didn’t answer. That really is the question, isn’t it, Liz thought to herself.

“He’s Michael’s cell mate,” she explained.

Serena looked at Liz with confusion. “Well why is he writing to you? You don’t know him do you?” she asked, her voice drenched with suspicion.

“Serena.” Liz rolled her eyes. “No of course I don’t know him. I’ve never even met the guy.”

“Well why did he write to you then?” Serena eyed her, again suspiciously.

“I don’t know.” Liz ‘s tone was harsh. She was exasperated. She wished Serena would stop with the 20 questions. She was trying to think.

“Well what did he say?” she asked.

“That Michael wasn’t going to write me back so he did….to let me know that…Michael was ok I guess,” Liz explained, summing up the letters’ contents. The letter was more than that though; his words were warm and comforting, enveloping her like a soft blanket.

“Interesting.” Serena walked over to Liz and gave her a playful jab in the arm. “That was nice of him. I mean it sucks Michael didn’t write you back but at least you know he’s ok and you’ve got a prison pen pal.” Serena laughed.

Liz shivered at the thought. Part of her was pleased that he had taken the time to write to her, the other was terrified that this stranger, a convicted murderer, had written to her. He knew her name. He knew her address. This couldn’t be a good thing.

“So what do you know about him. What is he in for?”

“I don’t know,” Liz lied. For reasons she couldn’t describe, this letter was too personal for her to discuss. She felt that sharing it with Serena would be like sharing a page from her own personal diary, something she would never do. She told herself that her thoughts made no sense, that it was just some weird letter she got from a convicted felon. But deep down she knew there was more to it than that.

Serena could tell Liz was keeping something from her but knew her friend well enough to know not to push her. “So I guess the question now is are you going to write him back?”

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Isabelle was visiting her mother again. One of the nurses said she had had a horrible night, tossing and turning in her sleep yelling Max’s name over and over again. She felt so helpless as she sat beside her mother, talking to her and brushing her hair, receiving nothing at all. Were her visits even helpful? Was her mother even aware of her presence?

Max would be so disappointed in her if he could see her now, unable to enjoy life and be completely happy, the two things he had always wanted for her. But how could she be? Sure she had a great husband and a great job but she couldn’t enjoy it knowing her mother was in such a state and her brother was in jail. How could she enjoy life while they both suffered? she thought as her mind drifted back to the last visit he had allowed her to have with him. He had been in the jail a few months when she visited him.

“Be happy Iz. That’s all I ever wanted for you.” He said, through mournful eyes.

“I can’t be…not…not without you.” She replied, her mind silently begging him to allow her to make things right again. She lowered her head to hide the tears that were preparing to fall.

“Hey.” His voice was comforting as he lifted her chin so that he could see her. “You don’t need me to protect you anymore. Not from him. You’re free.”

“And Alex, he’s a stand up guy. You couldn’t have picked better.” Isabelle smiled at this remark. Alex was a great guy, the greatest in fact, especially for putting up with her through the trial. She had been and still was an emotional basket case.

She looked at the gash across his forehead. It looked deep. She reached up to touch it gently but Max quickly pulled back. He didn’t need her mothering him. “But who is going to protect you?” She asked, hurt that he had pulled away.

‘I will. And this.” He pointed to his forehead and then shrugged “Is not so bad.” He chuckled.

She knew he was lying to spare her feelings. He was trying to pretend he was fine, making a joke of it. Max had a wonderful sense of humor. Over the years, especially when things were bad at home she had gotten through it because of Max’s loving jokes. But could they really solve anything now? She doubted it. He would need a lot more than a few funny lines or one of those impressions he was so good at to survive in prison.

“Really Iz, you should see the other guy.” He was still laughing.

After she said her heartfelt goodbye, dragging it on for as long as he would allow her to she somehow managed to find her way to the parking lot where Alex was waiting for her. She wondered what was really in her brother’s heart, how bad it truly was behind those bars. Was he still laughing the way he was during their visit or had he broken down into uncontrollable sobs? Her last visit, the pain of that thought hurt her too deeply for words. Why was he doing this? She had never asked him to, nobody had. Then on top of it all to refuse her help. Would she ever see her brother again she asked herself as Alex opened the car door for her? And if she did, if he ever got out, would he be the same man that had done Schwarzenneggar impressions until she almost peed her pants, helped her with trigonometry when she couldn’t understand the formulas, and kept her safe at home. She shook her head. There was no point asking the question, when she already knew the answer.

“Where to?” Alex asked as he placed his hand on hers lovingly.

“Let’s go home.”

Isabelle said goodbye to her mother once again and was not surprised to receive no reply. She gave her a quick kiss on the top of the head, picked up her purse and headed down the hall.

Her cell rang and she answered knowing it was Alex. She really needed to hear his voice.

“Hi sweetie.”

‘So how would you like to go up to the cabin for our anniversary this weekend?” he asked her.

“Umm… this weekend?” Isabelle sighed. She loved going to the cabin with Alex but she didn’t feel this was the right time. Reading that Tess was back in town had brought back some unpleasant memories, but had also reminded her of some of the things that had happened four years ago. She had really wanted to do some research this weekend, make sense of some of the inaccuracies brought up at trial.

“What’s wrong with this weekend?” Alex sighed. He had thought Isabelle would jump at the idea. A weekend away was exactly what they needed to break the funk she had been in lately.

“Sure honey. The cabin sounds wonderful” quickly changing her tune. She couldn’t say no. She knew that she hadn’t been herself lately, was reverting back to whom she had been when her father had died. She was neglecting her marriage and if she wasn’t careful she would lose Alex. She couldn’t let that happen.

After making dinner plans she hung up the phone and quickly looked at her watch. It was only 3 p.m. Maybe all was not lost. She had exactly enough time to make a stop on the way to the restaurant. There was something she needed to find out.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Max wondered if writing to Liz had been the right thing to do or had he just scared her off? She must have received the letter by now. What was she thinking as she read his words? Not knowing had him in agony. Would he write her back? He hoped she would find comfort if nothing else.

He needed to get his mind on something else, anything else. It was the end of the day and he and Michael were just sitting in their cell, not doing anything.

He leaned back against the wall. “If I was at home right now I would be watching Law and Order and eating a bowl of chocolate chip ice cream.” He said. “Then I would drive over to my sister and brother-in-law’s for dinner. My mom would come too and we would all have spaghetti with garlic bread for supper and then go for a walk in the desert” he said closing his eyes.

“Nice fantasy.” Michael laughed. “But that’s all it is.”

“Oh come on.” Max encouraged him. “You’ll feel much better.”

“Fine,” Michael replied. Michael thought giving in was better than arguing with him, especially when he was trapped behind a set of steel bars with him for hours on end. “I’d probably be out for a ride on my bike, the wind in my hair and Maria on back. We’d stop at the old lake and make love under the stars,” he said with a smile. But as he got absorbed in the fantasy his smile faded and he slammed his hand into the wall.

“What?” Max exclaimed.

“Now I feel worse. That’s what. You got me thinking of things that will never happen.” He sighed.

“Fantasies are what keep me going,” Max sighed rubbing his eyes.

“Not me. It’s easier to just forget,” Michael said.

“So tell me about Lindsay’s, that strip club. Is that the owner’s name or is there really a girl who dances there named Lindsay?” he asked hoping to find out the rest of what really happened the night Michael committed manslaughter.

“I’m not talking about it. I told you that so don’t push.” Michael roared at him.

“Oh come on.” Max laughed. I’m really curious about this Lindsay.”

Michael just raised his eyebrow. “The owners are Mary and Peter Wilson. All the girls have stage names. The most popular one at any given time they name Lindsay,” he explained.

“Smart marketing plan. So everyone thinks that Lindsay is the Lindsay then?” Max asked.

“Exactly,” Michael explained.

“So what happened that night that you and Sean went there?” he asked.

“Why do you care?” he asked him, exasperated. Couldn’t he see how painful this was for him?

“Because I’m nosy and have nothing better to do.” He said, his laugh met with a bitter look from Michael. “Oh come on, you know I’m joking. I think you need to get it off your chest Michael. That’s why I am pushing you. You will feel better.”

Michael closed his eyes and took himself and Max back to that night.

“Ok,” Michael said as the truck sped down the highway. “One drink, that’s it and then straight back home to load the truck,” he explained.

“Yes dad.” Sean laughed as they pulled into the parking lot at Lindsay’s.

“Cherry Pie is dancing tonight,” Sean told him with a wink as they entered Lindsay’s and joined their friends Randy and Peter at a small table by the stage.

“Woo hoo! The guest of honor is here!” Randy shouted as Michael sat down. He placed a cowboy hat on his head and a beer in his hand.

“Well, looks like the guest of honor has arrived. Cherry Pie has been waiting for you Michael Parker,” a man announced from the stage.

“What’s going on?” he asked Sean in a panic.

“This is your bachelor party. Tomorrow your moving in with Maria. That’s practically like marriage so we’ve arranged a special evening for you. You’re even going to get a private lap dance from Cherry Pie in the back room later,” he said happily giving Michael a pat on the back.

“Sean, I didn’t want this,” Michael exclaimed knowing how angry Maria would be when she found out, and she would find out. In this small town nothing was ever a secret.

“It’s ok buddy. You don’t have to thank me. Although getting you here tonight wasn’t easy.”

Michael looked at his friends. He wanted to be home packing. He needed to be home but they had gone to so much trouble to show him a good time that he decided he’d stay a little longer. “Another beer,” he said, motioning towards the waitress.
It was already midnight. Michael had declined Cherry Pie’s offer for a lap dance much to the guys chagrin. Not wanting to waste the money they had already given her, Randy happily went in Michael’s place.

Sean was completely loaded. Michael had about 4 beers himself and was a little tipsy, a little drink but definitely not wasted like Sean.

“Come on. Time to get home and packed,” he said.

“Mike, stay…so much fun here. You’re having fun right?” he asked in his drunken state.

“Yeah, it was fun but you promised to help me load the truck,” he said. Although Sean was in no condition to be moving anything tonight, Michael figured he could crash on his couch and they would start loading in a few hours when the alcohol had worn off.

“Let’s take a cab,” he suggested.

“Peter, can you call us a cab?” he asked the bartender.

“Love to Michael, but the cab company went on strike yesterday. Sorry.” He shrugged.

Damn, Micheal thought. There was only one cab company that ran this time of night so they were out of luck. How the heck were they going to get home.

“Give me your keys,” he said to Sean.

“Mikey are you sure you can drive?” he asked as he started to lose his balance.

Michael helped Sean walk through the parking lot and get into the passenger side of the truck. “Yes I am sure,” he said. He only had 4 drinks and he was walking fine. Besides the drive home was a short one, highway almost all the way and no one was out this time of night. He promised Maria he would be at her doorstep with all of his stuff at 8 am and he was not going to let her down.

They had been on the highway for only a few minutes when it happened. There was nothing there and then suddenly a deer was standing in the middle of the road directly in front of them. There was no time to react. Michael slammed on the breaks but it was too late. He ducked as they hit, the deer instantly flying up onto the windshield, its weight smashing right through it sending shards of glass into the front seat.

“Sean. Sean.” Michael opened his eyes to see that the deer had struck the passenger side and then had been thrown off just as quickly. There was so much blood. “Sean,” he croaked again, reaching out towards his friend who was no longer there. He opened the truck to see Sean laying motionless 10 feet away. He ran towards him screaming his name over and over again, knowing without a doubt that he would be dead.

Tears escaped Michael’s eyes as he told Max the story. This was the first time he had cried, not at the trial, not at the funeral, but now as he sat here in his cell with Max.

“Man you really would make a good lawyer,” he said, wiping his nose on the sleeve of his shirt.

“What? Why?” Max croaked out softly sharing his friend’s pain.

“I swore I would never tell that story again, but you have this way of getting things out of people.”

“It was an accident you know.” Max tried to comfort him.

“I shouldn’t have been driving. I was drunk.” Michael shook his head. Everyone had been trying to convince him it wasn’t his fault but he knew better.

“If it was another car I could understand the manslaughter charge but it was a deer Michael. It could have happened to a sober person.”

“I would have seen it Max. My blood alcohol level was high.”

“How high?”

“Let’s put it this way. I only remember having 4 beers that night but with that blood alcohol level….”

“You’d had a lot more?” Max asked.

Michael nodded. “And I didn’t even put his seat belt on. His body was thrown 10 feet through that windshield.” Michael bent his head in shame. “I put mine on though.”

“It was probably just habit.” Max reasoned. “You were so used to putting it on.”

“I should have just waited until the morning. Even Sean in his wasted state didn’t think I should drive. God Max.” He sobbed. “He was my best friend and Maria’s cousin. Was this what you wanted Max?” he screamed. “To see me break?”

“No, I thought that…” Max didn’t know what to say.

“Well you thought wrong.”

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

“My brother has a college fund here. I’d like to know the status of it,” Isabelle said to Mr. Snide as she sat in his office at the Arizona Imperial Bank.

“Look Mrs. Whitman. I’m sure you understand that for confidentiality reasons I cannot give you any information on your brother’s account,” he explained.

“But I’m his sister,” she stated as if that would make any difference.

“But you’re not listed in his file. Only he has access to his account,” Mr. Snide said calmly, trying not to upset one of the bank’s biggest clients.

“I am sure I don’t have to remind you of the assets and liabilities that my husband and I have at this bank,” she said starting to feel her temper rising.

Mr. Snide gulped. ‘I am well aware of that.” He was also well aware that she was starting to get angry.

“We could just take our mortgage elsewhere and our investments,” she threatened, knowing this was his fear.

His manager would kill him if the Whitman’s changed banks but he could go to jail for revealing client information. “If your brother would just add your name to the access list it wouldn’t be a problem,” he suggested.

“My brother is in jail so how exactly could he do that?” She raised her tone, stood up and leaned over the desk to stare at him.

He didn’t know what to say.

“I just want to look at it. I don’t need any of the money. No one will ever know.”

He gave it some thought. Her brother was in jail and would never know. If it came down to it, he could deny it. He sighed and opened the file.

“Ok, your brother’s account has only $100 dollars in it.”

“That’s impossible. He should have had $80,000 in there,” Isabelle protested.

He turned the page to look at the most recent transaction. “No, in 2002 it was transferred to another account.”

“Whose account?” Isabelle asked, wondering if her suspicions were right.

Mr. Snide shifted uncomfortably in his chair. “Mrs. Whitman, I’ve already told you more than I should…I don’t think that I can…” He gulped. Was it hot in here or what?

“Whose account?”she asked again, no intention of leaving his office without the information.

He looked back at the file. “A Miss Tess Harding,” he said and then looked up to see her expression.

Isabelle wasn’t surprised at all.
maya
Addicted Roswellian

Post by maya »

Well I am finally up to date with all of my fics and will post one part of each every Sunday, starting Sunday March 19th.

Here is the next part. There is a short adult scene in this part. Please leave feedback. I really apprecaite it!

Thank you for the feedback:

Alien614
Morning Dreamgirl
Antarian
cherie
tequathisy
begonia9508
POM
Erinaorphfets
FSU/MSW -94
RhondaAnn
roswell3053

Chapter 8

Time had past slowly since Max had been given the letter this morning. He had immediately noticed the return address in the upper right hand corner, knowing it was from Liz he had shoved it into his pocket, hoping to read it when he had time to himself later on. Various times throughout the day he found himself reaching into his pocket to feel the sides of the envelope, proving to himself that it was really there and wondering what it contained.

With Michael on yard duty, he was finally alone in his cell. He reached into his pocket and pulled the letter out, taking a seat on the side of the bottom bunk bed. He ripped the envelope open quickly, revealing a single sheet of paper, which he unfolded and began to read.

Dear Max,

You were right, your letter was not what I was expecting at all and I have to be honest, I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand I am grateful that you would write to me and reassure me that Michael is ok, on the other I find myself questioning your motives as I don’t know you at all. I would like to think that I could give you the benefit of the doubt but as I find myself asking what you have to gain I am forced to admit that I may be more jaded by life than I realize.

The truth is that I am scared. My parents died in an accident when I was 14. After that it was Michael and I against the world. He looked after me, helped me pay for school, beat up boys that didn’t treat me well. I wouldn’t be the person I am today without him. Now, it’s my turn to look after him and he won’t let me. It’s just so frustrating. I’m scared that if he continues to pull away I will have lost him for good and that is something I just can’t bear. So I am doing the next best thing, looking after the love of his life and my best friend Maria and their unborn child. If he can stop being so stubborn I hope they will still be waiting for him when he gets out.

So I guess what I am saying is that I want to keep writing you, if after you’ve read my words your offer still stands. This is the only way I can keep some sort of a link to my brother. I am also in need of a friend, I have friends but for some reason I’m having a hard time talking to them about all of this. You on the other hand are easy to talk to, a mysterious stranger completely removed from my own life.

How about I tell you something about myself and when you write me back you can do the same? Let me see. My favorite color is red. I know it’s not earth shattering information but it’s also not too personal and that’s what I need to start with right now. My car is red. My prom dress was red. I even dyed my hair red once in high school, of course I dyed it back a few days later, life wasn’t what I thought it would be as a red head.

Thank you Max, for looking out for my pig headed brother. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Liz Parker

After reading the letter a second time Max couldn’t help the smile that formed on his lips. He reached for the paper and pen under his mattress and began to write.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

“He beat me all the time, with his fist, his belt, the chair. He beat me so badly that sometimes I couldn’t walk. If his day was really bad, he would throw me down the stairs.” Monica Flanigan looked down at the table while telling Tess her story, to embarrassed to meet her gaze.

“I’m sorry I have to ask you these questions.” Tess felt for this woman she really did. ‘but we need to be as prepared as we can for court.” It was Tess’s first case, a very difficult one because the subject matter hit so close to home.

“Do you think he’ll take my kids?” Monica asked her.

“Not if I can help it.” Tess smiled. That scumbag would pay for what he did to his poor innocent wife. Tess reached out across the table and squeezed Monica’ hand gently.

“That last time was the worst. If my neighbor John hadn’t found me…..I” she began to sob. ‘He saved my life. Physically but also emotionally. He helped but me back together piece by piece.”

Tess knew exactly what she was talking about as she thought back to that night she had stumbled through Isabelle’s window after one of her father’s beatings. The last thing she remembered was hearing Isabelle call for Max right before she passed out.

When she woke up she found herself in Max’s bed, wearing one of Isabelle’s night shirts. Her face still hurt, the wound was deep, the pillow soaked with blood. Where were Max and Isabelle? She let out a whimper, afraid to be alone.

She heard Max’s voice “Tess?” Max’s head popped up. She looked over the side of the bed to see him lying on a sleeping bag on the floor.

“We were worried about you,” he said with a gentle smile. She loved his amber eyes. They were so beautiful, especially when they were staring at her with such compassion.

“You were here all this time?” she asked.

He nodded. “I’m glad you got some sleep. Are you ok?”he asked.

Flashes of earlier that evening with her father flashed through her mind. “No,” she whispered and then began to cry.

Within seconds Max was sitting beside her on the bed, pulling her into his arms. She rested her head against his chest as he rocked her back and forth soothingly. “it’s going to be ok,” he said as he kissed the top of her head softly.

Max lied down on his back pulling her down with him on the bed, she lie beside him, his arm wrapped around her, her head still resting on his chest. “That bastard. How could he hurt you like this? I’ll never let anything like this happen to you again Tess. I promise.” Again he kissed the top of her head. For the first time in her life, Tess felt safe.

An hour later he must of thought she was sleeping because she heard him talking to himself. “Max, how much longer can you keep fighting your feelings for Tess. There are so many reasons you can’t be together. She’s in high school, your in college. You have to protect Isabelle, your mother, finish college so you can look after everyone. But god, having her here in my arms just feels so right.”

Tess had to use every ounce of will power she had to minimize the excitement coursing through her at his words while she continued pretending to be asleep. The worst night of her life had become the best night of her life. Max Evans had feelings for Tess Harding, Who would have ever thought?

But he did and the next morning he admitted them to her. They went over to Tess’s house to confront her father together, only to find he had fallen down the stairs to his death in a drunken stooper. Given her age, she was able to live on her own in an apartment in town while finishing her last year of high school.

She and Max decided to give their a relationship a go. Given her past they decided to take things slow and they did but they were a sweet slow, at every moment she felt completely and utterly cherished by Max Evans. She began to see herself through his eyes, and instead of the self loathing girl, she began her transformation into the confident, feisty, spirited woman that she was today.

“The movie is starting,” Isabelle yelled from the living room.

“Ok just a minute,” Alex yelled back as he finished washing the last of the dishes. They had been at the cottage for 2 days enjoying rest and relaxation.

Alex knew Isabelle wasn’t that keen on going when he had originally made the suggestion but he was glad he had convinced her. This was the most relaxed he had seen her in days and he was glad because there was something important he needed to talk to her about and this seemed like the perfect time.

He had just cooked them a delicious teriyaki stir fry and had offered to clean up, unfortunately the cottage didn’t have a dishwasher, doing things the old fashioned way was part of the ambience but he didn’t mind at all, seeing Isabelle this carefree was worth being elbow deep in soap suds.

After putting the last plate away he joined Isabelle on the couch. “Let’s skip the movie,” he said suggestively.

“Oh and what else did you have in mind?” she purred.

He picked her up off of the couch. “This,” he said as he carried her into the bedroom and placed her in the middle of the bed.

They both removed their clothes quickly, it had been over a week since they had last made love and they both knew there wasn’t going to be much foreplay. They had the rest of the weekend to make love, cherish each other, right now they wanted it hard and fast.

Alex took Isabelle’s mouth fiercely. He then bent down and dipped his tongue between her breasts, just the way she liked it causing her to throw her head back and let out a moan. He took one nipple in his mouth sucking it until it hardened, and then the other.
He reached his hand in between her legs and let out his own groan when he found her lips were dripping wet in anticipation of him. He immediately positioned himself in front of her opening ready to plunge himself deep inside of her.

“Wait,” Isabelle panted “Just let me go put my diaphragm in,” she said as she started to get up off the bed. After a bad reaction to the pill, they had started using a diaphragm; it wasn’t the most convenient form of protection but was better than using a condom.

“No, don’t. We don’t need it,” he said taking her lips once again.

Isabelle pulled away panting. “What do you mean, Alex?”

They had talked about it before but Isabelle always wanted to wait because of Max. Alex didn’t want to wait anymore. “Let’s make a baby.”

Liz arrived home from work on Thursday night, exhausted and wishing it was Friday. She immediately walked into the kitchen and opened the fridge.

“Oh Chica I thought I heard you.” Maria sauntered into the kitchen excitedly. “Whatever you do, don’t make plans for tomorrow night.”

Liz poured herself a glass of orange juice and leaned back against the kitchen counter “And just what do you have planed for us for tomorrow night?” She was almost afraid to ask.

“It’s not for us, it’s for you. There’s this new guy at my office,” Maria began to explain in an excited tone.

As Maria continued her story Liz sighed and took a sip of her juice. She wasn’t going to like this was she?

“And so I told him you’d go out with him tomorrow night. He is so perfect for you Liz,” Maria explained

Liz chuckled. She knew Maria was only trying to help but she wasn’t interested. A man wasn’t going to solve her problems right now. “No Maria. Cancel it.”

Maria was determined not to let Liz wiggle out of this date. She would guilt trip her into if she had to. “I can’t do that. I already told him that you would go.”

“So tell him I had other plans. You didn’t know when you made the date.” She knew Maria meant well but she shouldn’t have made a date without asking her first.

Maria just shook her head. “Liz you have so much in common with him. He was a Biology major, loves animals and he’s cute.” She wiggled her eyebrows.

“Don’t push me Maria, I’m just not ready,” Liz said in a serious tone.

“Not ready. That’s a joke.” Maria’s hands moved to her hips and she took on a scolding tone. “You need this right now Liz. I’m not saying it has to be serious, were not talking marriage here but you need to have some fun.”

“Don’t tell me what I need Maria.” Liz was getting very uncomfortable with the direction this conversation was taking but Maria didn’t seem to notice.

“It’s been three years since you broke up with you know who.” It was an unwritten rule that neither girl mentioned the name of the man that had broken Liz’s heart , three years earlier. At first she had accepted that Liz wasn’t ready to date but lately she had worried about her. If she didn’t open her heart again soon, would she ever be able to?

Liz had been hoping to avoid this conversation but now that Maria was pushing it, what choice did she have. “That’s not true. There was someone recently, Maria,” she sad quietly.

“What. Who?” What was Liz talking about? She saw Liz practically everyday over the last 3 years and hadn’t seen her go out with anyone other than the odd diner date, and even that didn’t end with a goodnight kiss.

“Sean.” Liz spoke quietly as the floodgates of her heart opened and all of the emotions she had been holding back since the day of his death broke free. She wasn’t ready to feel this yet.

“Ha…you and Sean…you’ll have to try harder than that Liz,” Maria laughed.

Liz looked down at the floor unable to fight back the tears. When she looked up, the wetness covering her face was a validation of her earlier statement.

Maria gasped. Liz had really dated Sean.

“Sean and I were together and in case you’ve forgotten he died…so I’m sorry if I don’t feel up to going out on some date you’ve lined up for me,” Liz spat out angrily.

Maria’s hand covered her mouth in shock. “Liz, I’m sorry, I didn’t know…I.” What could she say? If she had only known.

“I told you not to push me. I’m not ready to date again and I’m not ready to talk about this either.”

“Liz I..” Maria took a step towards Liz and reached out her hand. Liz took a step back and poured the rest of her juice into the kitchen sink.

“And before you ask, no my brother didn’t know,” she added and then ran up the stairs to her room slamming the door behind her like an angry teenager.

“I just wanted to help,” Maria whispered, but there was no one there to hear her.
Last edited by maya on Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maya
Addicted Roswellian

Post by maya »

A/N your feedback on this fic really warms my heart...please keep it coming. I hope you enjoy this part!

Alien614
FSU/MSW-94
Gamma Rho Girl
Erina
KatnotKath
tequathisy
POM
Morning Dreamgirl
orphyfets
roswell3053
RhondaAnn

Part 9

“You’re still mad at me,” Maria said. After the confrontation they had, Liz had come down the next morning in a cheery mood but the topic of Sean was never brought up. It was as if the conversation had never happened. Maria felt like she was walking on eggshells and desperately wanted to patch things up with her friend.

It was now one week later, a Saturday morning and Liz was helping Maria put together the baby crib they had purchased a few weeks before. It was probably too soon to be putting this up but they figured that with all the stress they had carried over the last 2 months since the accident it would be best to be proactive, not leave anything until the last minute.

“Hand me that screw driver please,” Liz said as she held one of the wooden legs against the bottom of the crib while reading the instructions on the manual in front of her. “Tell me again why we bought one that required assembly?” she grunted.

“It was cheaper and it was the perfect size for this room,” Maria explained to Liz for the third time since they had bought it. “Besides you said you were good at interpreting these manuals.”

“I’m good at reading instructions. This manual was written by some idiot that has no concept of the English language.” she exclaimed with frustration.

“Liz, why did you ignore me earlier?”

Liz looked up in surprise. “Huh?”

“I asked you if you were still mad at me.”

“Oh sorry Maria, just concentrating,” she said, missing the look of disbelief on Maria’s face, she took the screwdriver from her and began to attach the leg to the crib.

“I’m getting some juice. Do you want some?” Maria asked, distraught over the fact that Liz had evaded her question for the second time.

“No, I just want to get this finished,” she replied, her eyes never leaving the crib as Maria left the room.

Liz had spent most of the week agonizing over Max’s letter. Did she make a mistake writing him back? I mean he was a criminal. Technically her brother was to and she didn’t love him any less but murder was a far cry from manslaughter. Sure she considered herself a pretty non judgmental person, people made mistakes, but murder was more than a mistake. Did she want to associate herself with a murder?

But his words kept her coming back for more, there was just something about them. He didn’t seem like a typical criminal. His use of language seemed to be that of a well educated man, not her idea of a murderer, according to the stereotype. She was struck by his compassion to her brother and to her. He seemed to understand Michael as well as she did and she was glad to know that he was looking out for him.

“Wow when you put your mind to something it’s amazing what you can do,” Maria said with a smile when she sauntered back in the room, juice in hand, to find Liz standing beside the completed crib. “Now, I am going to ask you if you are still mad at me for the third time and I expect an answer Liz.”

Liz knew she couldn’t avoid this conversation any longer. “I was never mad at you Maria. I just…” Liz wrung her hands together. ‘I just don’t want to talk about Sean.”

“Liz, I’m your best friend. He was my cousin. I just don’t understand why you didn’t tell me and I don’t even understand why you were with him in the first place. I mean he was my cousin and I loved him but were talking about a sex crazed, binge drinker, ladies man here. Not exactly your type.”

“That was only one side of him Maria. Look I love you to death and I promise you I am not mad but I really don’t want to talk about it. We were dating, he’s gone, end of story. Please,” Liz begged her.

Maria wasn’t happy with the way they were leaving things but she wasn’t going to push Liz again. “Ok Chica.” Maria held out her arms and Liz walked over into her embrace.

When they pulled away Liz found herself thinking about Max again but this time she wasn’t questioning whether she should have written him, this time she was wondering when his next letter would arrive and what it would say. Oddly enough, for reasons she had yet to pinpoint, she found herself looking forward to it.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

As he drove, Alex watched Isabelle out of the corner of his eye. She hadn’t muttered a word since they got into the car. In fact they hadn’t been on speaking terms since last. After he had blurted out those words “Let’s make a baby”, Isabelle had pushed him off of her. Their love making session never made its way to completion and he was still suffering the frustration of it.

Isabelle could feel Alex’s eyes on her. “Can you stop staring at me? It’s annoying.”

“Sorry, Geez, I didn’t know it was a crime to stare at my wife.”

“When your analyzing me it is. I can see the wheels turning in your head as we speak. Shut them off,” she yelled.

“You’ve barely talked to me since last night. What am I supposed to do? Sure we’ve had fights before but never like this.” He was concerned. Very concerned.

“Well what do you expect? You don’t just decide in the middle of sex that you want to have a baby.”

“People do all the time Isabelle.”

She let out a frustrated grunt. “Well I don’t. We don’t. It’s something we should be talking about.” She was crying now. “It’s too soon Alex.”

Alex put his hand on her thigh and gave a light squeeze. Having a baby would be the perfect distraction for her, it would be good for them. Why was she so hell bent on controlling everything? “We’ve waited for years honey.”

“I need to wait a little longer.” She knew he would understand. He always did.

“What if I don’t want to wait?” His words surprised her.

She turned to look at him. He had always been so understanding and supportive of her every whine and whim. Was he serious now? It sounded like an ultimatum.

“Since Max went to jail, everything has been about you and that’s been ok, I love you, I am ok with it but this is the one thing I want, a baby. You always said that you wanted that too.”

Isabelle was floored. She didn’t realize it was that important to him. “I did. I mean I do. Alex.” She began to sob again. She couldn’t have a baby now, not when Max still needed her help. There was more to it than that though, she had this feeling that there was another reason, something that had to do with that night her father was killed.

Alex pulled the car over to the side of the road. “Why don’t you want to have a baby?” He had asked her numerous times last night. It was a simple question, why was it so hard for her to answer?

“I don’t know why,” she sobbed. Alex pulled her against him letting her sob against his chest. “It’s just this feeling I have…like it would….”

She wasn’t making any sense. “Feeling? Like it would what Isabelle?”

“I don’t know. I don’t know,” she repeated over and over again. But she knew someone that might know. Tess. She couldn’t put off the confrontation with her any longer.

“Isabelle, I think it’s time that you see someone.”

She lifted her head to meet his eyes. “See someone?”

“I think you need to see a psychiatrist.”

Kyle waited patiently in the cake shop for Tess to show up. She was already 15 minutes late and had called and apologetically explained she was finishing up an interview prep of a witness and would be there as soon as she could. This was supposed to be the best bakery in town. He eyed the displays carefully. Who knew there were so many types of cake to choose from? He knew about your basic choices, chocolate, marble and angel food, but who had ever heard of a wedding carrot cake? They even had one with a design resembling bees wax. He didn’t like that one at all. He had fairly traditional tastes but knowing Tess she would want something extravagant. He chuckled to himself. She certainly was an original woman. Whatever cake she wanted he would go along with. He wanted their wedding day to be the happiest day of her life.

Deciding he might as well make use of his time before Tess arrived, he headed for the counter to see if he could get a pricing list. Just as he did he bumped into a man that was coming towards him causing the man’s keys to fly out of his hands and onto the floor.

“Sorry,” Kyle said.

“It’s ok, no problem,” the man replied and began to reach for his keys.

“Let me.” Kyle bent over and picked them up. “Like I said. Sorry.”

“No problem. It happens to all of us.” The man laughed as he took the keys but as soon as his eyes met Kyle’s, recognizing a familiar face his attitude changed. “Kyle Valenti.” His eyes were wide with shock. “I hoped I’d never see you again,” the man scoffed.

Kyle recognized the man right away. He was not prepared for this moment. It was a reunion he hoped he would never have to endure. “My god,” was all he could mutter.

The lady at the counter gave them a look filled with question and Kyle gave her a sheepish smile in return.

“So you’ve been in Arizona all this time?” The man demanded.

“Well actually I…”

The man didn’t wait for an answer; instead he cut him off. “What are you doing here?” The man’s eyes were piercing.

“Picking out a wedding cake,” Kyle answered quietly, hoping that by lowering his tone, the man would lower his own which was now rising with every word he spoke.

The man didn’t take the hint. “Someone like you shouldn’t be getting married.”

The woman at the counter was looking at them disapprovingly now. “Look you don’t know the whole story.” Kyle reasoned with the man but it only fueled his anger.

“Oh so now your saying it didn’t happen?” Rage was emanating from his very core.

“No. Look I’ve changed…I”

Again the man wouldn’t listen to him.

“People like you never change. Does your wife to be know?”

Kyle shook his head.

“Ha,” the man laughed and turned towards the door.

“Wait.” Kyle ran in front of the door blocking the man inside the store.

“Are you going to tell her?” Kyle asked.

“Out of my way Valenti.”

“Not until you answer my question,” Kyle replied firmly.

“Move Valenti.”

Kyle didn’t budge. “No.”

“Do you want the police involved again?” he threatened.

Kyle sighed and shook his head stepping away from the door. That was the last thing he wanted.

“I don’t owe you an answer. You’ll just have to wait and see. Having you sweat it out for a while isn’t even a fraction of the turmoil you deserve to endure.”

“Look I...”

“You make me sick. I’ve gotta get out of here,” the man said as he headed out the door.

Kyle swallowed nervously. Things were going so well. Why did his past have to come back to haunt him?

When Tess arrived a few minutes later Kyle was waiting for her outside of the store. He had tried waiting inside but the store owner’s disapproving glances were beginning to turn his stomach. It had been a long time since a look like that had been directed at him.

“Sorry honey.” Tess gave him a kiss on the cheek.

“It’s no problem.” Kyle grabbed her arm. “This guy at work was telling me about a place that is much better than this.”

“Really?” She had heard this was the place to buy wedding cakes.

“Yes. I want you to have the best. Come on it’s not far,” Kyle said. “Just follow me in your car.”

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Maria came into the house after work with a stack of envelopes in her hand. “Oh great, more bills. Just what we need,” she yawned as she put the mail on the kitchen table.

Liz jumped up from the couch where she was reading a magazine, hoping to get to the mail before Maria looked through it. What if the letter from Max was in there?

“Are you expecting something?” Maria noticed Liz had practically pounced on the pile of mail.

Liz thumbed through it quickly until she found the envelope with the familiar handwriting. She noted he had not filled in the return address and thanked him silently. Her heart was beating fast with anticipation. She wanted to rip it open and devour every word. “What, oh ya, just a letter from my aunt. She didn’t know about Michael, so I wrote her and I wanted to see what her reaction was,” she explained. “I’m just going to go read this in my room.”

“Ok. I’ll start dinner.” Since when did Liz read letters in private?

“Oh I made a lasagna just heat it up,” Liz suggested, already tearing the envelope open on her way up the stairs.

She entered her room and closed the door behind her. Once she was sitting comfortably on her bed with a pillow on her lap, began to read the letter.

Dear Liz,

I am so glad that you decided to write me back. Of course I want to keep writing to you, your apprehension is only normal and doesn’t offend me in the least. I’m not even sure that I would exchange letters with a convict and I am one myself.

I had no idea about your parents. You have gone through so much and are a very strong person, you should be proud of yourself. Michael and Maria and their child to be are very fortunate to have you in their life. Michael doesn’t tend to share much, especially the emotional stuff but I did finally get him to open up to me about the night of Sean’s death. I understand now why it wasn’t his fault and I hope that if I keep on him, I can get him to believe that to. I will keep you updated on my progress.

I don’t think you should feel bad about not being able to talk to your friends. You are all grieving right now and understandably you probably don’t want to burden them. You do need to talk to someone though, feel free to lay anything on me that you want to. Your secrets are safe with me, after all, who could I tell? If you can’t talk to me, please talk to someone. Keeping secrets can burn at the soul. I should know.

Red. That is a nice color. I can certainly picture you in that prom dress. As for the hair, I have to say I am partial to you as a brunette but as a red head you would still be beautiful. Thanks for sharing something about you with me.

You asked me to share something about myself. I have a younger sister and before I came in here she and I were as close as you and Michael. I know it sounds corny but I just loved astronomy and as a kid, my sister and I used to spend many evenings laying out on the grass looking up at the stars or in my room looking through my telescope. There is this huge world out there, so many stars and planets that I just can’t imagine us being the only ones in this universe. We used to make up our own names for each planet and name the types of beings that lived there. Isabelle always thought up these tragic love stories. She named one planet Antar. She believed that a king on that planet was sent here to earth to find his true love. I think she was hoping that would be her. It was cute. One of my favorite childhood memories. In a way though, she did find her king, my brother in law Alex, an absolute stand up guy.

Anyways, I have already taken up enough of your time. I look forward to your next letter.

Sincerely,

Max Evans
Last edited by maya on Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maya
Addicted Roswellian

Post by maya »

Thank you so much for your feedback. I hope you enjoy this nect part. Please let me know what you think.

dreamer19- Glad your back. Yes, Kyle does have a story. It will come out in time.
tequathisy - Thank you. Can't give away Kyle's secret just yet.
Timelord - I hope Micheal doesn't find out for a while too. He won't like it very much.
RhondaAnn - They did make up but things aren't quite back to normaql as you will see in this aprt. Isabelle will seek out some ansers in this part. You'll see Liz's letter in this part too.
begonia9508 - Thank you.
orphyfets - Thank you. Max will write again soon.
AllieXie - Thank you. Thank god Max isn't the normal convict.
touched by an alien- Thank you
Morning Dreamgirl - You'll find out a bit more about Liz and Sean in her letter to Max. She is finding it easier and easier to opne up to him. Will he be able to do the same? We will have to wait and see for that. Something will happen with Kyle and Tess soon.
spacecowboy - I assure you they will meet in person but it won't be for a while.
Erina - Thank you. Can't give away anything on Kyle just yet. Yes Isabelle needs to heal and with the right people's help she will be able to.
FSU/ MSW-94 - Yes Liz is really starting to forma friendship with Max. It's always easier when it is on paper isn't it? Isabelle and Alex definetly have some issues to wrok out but there is a lot of love there so...we will just have to wait and see.

Part 10

Max wasn’t in the greatest of moods today, most days fantasizing about Liz Parker lifted his spirits but today that didn’t even help. He was too upset. Today was his mother’s birthday. His beautiful strong mother who had been reduced to a non-responsive patient in a nursing home, how could he comfort himself when he knew that it was his fault?

He shook his head in self defeat. There were so many things he would change about that night and the events leading up to that night, but there was one event in particular, one thing that if he hadn’t done, none of this would be happening. It was the day before his father was killed, the day he had retrieved the gun.

When the four of them arrived back in Santa Fe from their road trip, they were exhausted. They dropped Tess off first. She leaned over and gave Max a peck on the cheek. “It’s been great everyone but I have been dreaming about a nice hot shower for days,” she laughed as she jumped out of the Jeep, when they stopped in front of her apartment..

“Don’t use all the water in New Mexico Tess. I want some to be left for me,” Alex kidded with her.

She teased him back. “You better get home fast then.”

Alex house was next. When the jeep stopped, he leaned forward and gave Max a slap on the back. “Thanks for a great summer buddy.”

Max smiled back. He liked Alex. “No problem.”

“I can’t believe you’ll be in law school on Monday.”

Max just shook his head. His dream was finally coming true. Life could surprise you, sometimes things were amazing.

Isabelle got out of the jeep with Alex so she could move to the passenger seat beside Max. She leaned in and gave Alex a kiss. “I’m gonna miss getting to sleep together every night. By tomorrow morning I will be having a serious case of Alex withdrawal.”

“So your not sick of me then?” he asked her.

She shook her head. “Never.”

“I love you. Call me tonight if you get a chance.”

Once he was gone Isabelle got into the front of the Jeep with Max and rested her head on his shoulder, letting out the giant sigh she had been holding in for the last few hours as they neared Santa Fe. Max put his head back for a minute sharing in his sister’s sense of foreboding.

He started the jeep back up and they started down the road once again. “Why does the summer have to end Max? I don’t want to go back to reality. I’m just not ready,” she whined.

Max looked lovingly at his sister. He didn’t want to go back either but they had to. “You know why Iz.”

She rolled her eyes. “I know, for mom. How do you think things went for her?”

Max shrugged his shoulders. “She seemed ok when we called her.” They had called her every second day from a pay phone at one place or another. “Dad was away on business for most of the month anyways. That’s why we picked those dates, don’t you remember?”

Isabelle crossed her arms and sulked. “Of course I do. I just try to block it out. I wish we could just leave.”

Max rolled his eyes. He hated having this discussion. It made him feel that he wasn’t a good brother, a good son. He just wasn’t able to protect them the way he wanted to, but what other options were there? “We can’t leave her.”

“What if she leaves him?”

Why was she even asking the question when they both knew the question. “It will never happen. Not now anyway. We both know that.”

After Isabelle had endured a particularly bad beating in June Max had started to think that he needed some kind of power, that his mere presence, his fists were no longer the deterrence to his father they had once been. He had made a purchase before the road trip and had spent the summer thinking about it. Now that they were back he knew they needed that protection more than ever. They needed it now, so rather than turn towards home, he headed towards the highway.

“Hey, home is right, why did you take a left? I thought you said we had to go home?” Isabelle asked him.

His lips curled into a devilish grin. “Were taking a small detour first.”

Isabelle squealed and hugged Max, blocking his view. “Hello. Driver here. I need to see the road.”

“Sorry.” Isabelle sat back in her seat. Sometimes she just loved her brother. She just wasn’t ready to go home yet and he knew it.

They took the highway and drove for about 20 minutes, until they found themselves in the dessert and Max pulled the Jeep over. It was starting to get dark.

Isabelle looked at Max with confusion. “When you said detour I was thinking ice cream at Smitty’s.”

Max opened the car door for Isabelle and then went around and pulled a blanket out of the back of the jeep. “Hey, this was the place we used to come to watch the stars as kids. Remember the king of Antar? Wanna stay out here and see if he shows up tonight?”

Isabelle groaned. “Oh Max. I’m too old for that stuff.”

“Your never too old to dream.”

“You are when your reality is like ours.” The thought of being home was hitting her again.

Max started up the sandy hill towards the large rock formation they always sat at. “Come on humor me.” Isabelle decided to follow him up the hill. Anything was welcomed if it delayed them from getting home.

Once they were seated on the blanket and Isabelle was busy looking up at the stars Max got up and went over to a large grouping of rocks. He moved three boulders out of the way, letting out an occasional grunt do to the heaviness of them.

“Max, what are you doing?” Isabelle hollered over.

“I left something up here.” Once the three boulders were removed he picked up a medium size rock and retrieved something that was underneath. “Found it.” He made his way back to the blanket.

He made his way back to Isabelle with a brown paper bag. “Now, don’t freak out,” he said when he sat down with her as he pulled it out of the bag.

Isabelle’s eyes were as wide as saucers. “A gun. You bought a gun.”

“We need it Isabelle. I need to keep you and mom safe.”

Isabelle nodded, tears in her eyes. She prayed they would never have to use it. “You hid it up here Max, where anyone could find it?” Was he crazy?

“No one comes up here Iz. I bought it before we went away but I couldn’t leave it in the house when we were gone, what if he had found it?”

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Tess left McClelland and Heigl on time for once. This was the first time since she had started working there that she would be home before Kyle. Maybe she would make him a nice romantic dinner. He certainly deserved it, he had been shouldering far more of the home responsibilities than he should have due to her hectic work schedule.

She had just made it down the front steps and was reaching into her purse for her sunglasses when she saw the familiar face heading towards her from the parking lot. Isabelle Evans, or Isabelle Whitman as she was now called was just as stunning as she had been 4 years ago. She hadn’t aged a bit, the only difference being that her hair was much longer and much lighter which she assumed was due to highlights.

Tess stopped walking. She had missed Isabelle’s friendship so much over the last 4 years, Isabelle had been her one and only best friend but she knew as she watched Isabelle continue to walk towards her, looking like a woman on a rampage, that this was not a social visit.

When Isabelle was only a few feet away Tess smiled and waved. “Isabelle, it’s great to see you.”

Isabelle scrunched up her face. “Save it Tess. Believe me, when I saw in the paper that you were back it made my blood boil. A fiancé, new job, while my brother rots away in jail.”

Tess’s face fell. She knew after the trial that she and Isabelle would never be friends but this contempt was too much to bear.

Tess looked around hoping none of her coworkers were witnessing this scene. “Why are you here then?” she asked.

Isabelle wanted answers and she was going to get them. “I know you lied on the stand and I know how you paid for college.”

“I got a scholarship. What’s the big deal?” Tess shrugged.

Isabelle put her hands on her hips. “Oh is that what they are calling Max’s bank account now, a scholarship?”

Tess grabbed Isabelle by the arm and pulled her around the side of the building, out of view. “Your right Max paid my tuition. I didn’t want him too but he insisted and had the money wired into my account. He knew you and Alex already had lots of money and he wanted me to go to Law school.”

Isabelle wasn’t sure if she believed her or not. “On the stand you said you were at the house that night and you saw Max shoot our father. Why did you lie?” They hadn’t seen Tess since dropping her off the night before.

“Max asked me to.”

Didn’t Tess understand the enormity of her actions? “Your testimony sent him to jail,” she hissed.

“I know, that plus the fingerprints and his admission. It was what he wanted.” Did Isabelle actually believe that she had wanted this, had encouraged it? It was exactly the opposite. She had begged him not to lie.

Isabelle didn’t know who she was madder at, Tess or her brother. “Tess, why did he lie? I told him I didn’t care if the truth about the abuse came out. I would have dealt with it. He shouldn’t have gone to jail for self defense.”

“Self defense?” Tess screamed. What was Isabelle talking about? “Max is innocent.”

“I know. That’s what I’ve been saying for years. It was self defense. He’s shouldn’t be in jail. I’ve tried to send lawyers in but he won’t accept them and I am sick of it.” Suddenly Isabelle’s tone turned threatening “Your going to defend him Tess and get him off or your moment of purgory will be revealed and you’ll loose your pretty law license.”

Tess wasn’t scared by the threat. She would like nothing more than to help Max out. “Isabelle I have offered to defend Max but he refuses. Don’t you get it? He didn’t pull that trigger and he’s worried that if he goes to trial the truth will come out, the truth he is desperately trying to protect.

Isabelle felt like she had been punched in the gut as the ramifications of what Tess was saying hit her. “What do you mean he didn’t pull the trigger?”

Was Isabelle joking? She had to know. She was there. “Isabelle, you do remember what happened that night don’t you?” What is going on here, she wondered?

Isabelle took a step back, the world seemed to be closing in on her. What did she remember about that night? She remembered eating dinner with max and her parents, their first family dinner since she and Max had been back from Vegas. Her next memory was of her father bloodied and on the floor with Max yelling to her, “Everything will be ok.” Then the police handcuffing Max and putting him into a police cruiser. What had happened in between? The words were pounding in her head but when she opened her mouth they came out a frail whisper. “No. I don’t remember.”

Tess was shocked. All this time, she had thought Isabelle knew Max hadn’t pulled the trigger, that was why she had stood by his innocence, but instead it was because she thought he had killed their father in self defense.

Still in a state of confusion, before Isabelle knew it she found herself being ushered into the passenger’s seat of Tess’s car. “Where are we going?”

Tess shut the door and made her way around to the driver’s side. “We are going to my apartment,” she said to Isabelle once she’d started the car. “ I don’t know much but I will tell you everything that I do know.” Isabelle wasn’t the only one who wanted answers. This had been going on long enough.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Maria was standing in front of the mirror in the downstairs bathroom clad in a black dress doing her makeup. “Liz, would you be able to stick around for the cable repair guy? He should be here in a few hours,” Maria hollered to Liz who was cooking some pasta on the stove.

“Sure, what are you up to tonight?” Liz asked as she turned the water down and walked over to the bathroom where the door was open. “Wow, you look nice.” It had been a while since she had seen Maria so dressed up.

Maria fumbled with her make up bag, trying not to make eye contact with Liz. She didn’t want Liz to see how guilty she felt. “Oh I’m just going out for dinner and a movie with a friend.”

“Anyone I know?” Liz asked.

“Oh, umm…” Maria said just as the doorbell rang.

“I’ll get it,” Liz offered and turned and started towards the door.

“Oh no, I’ll get it Liz. You’ve got stuff on the stove.” Maria rushed past her and opened the door.

“Hi Ria.” Her date handed her some flowers.

“Hi.” Maria smiled nervously.

“Hi Liz.” Maria turned around to see Liz standing right behind her.

“Hi Billy. Haven’t seen you in a few years. How are you doing?”

“Not bad.” He nodded. “Sorry to hear about your brother.”

“I’m sure you are.” Liz tapped Maria on the shoulder. “Can I have a word with you?”

Once they were in the kitchen Maria turned apprehensively to her friend.

“Are you sure this is a good idea? Going out with your ex?”

“Look Liz, I told you Michael and I are over. I’m sorry of this hurts you but….”

“Maria it doesn’t hurt me for the reason you think. Is that why you hid this from me? I don’t expect you to wait for my pig headed brother but I think your making a mistake.”

“Well, this is none of your concern, just like your relationship with Sean was obviously none of mine.” With that last comment Maria marched back to the front door and left with Billy.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Dear Max,

You and your sister sound a lot like Michael and I. Sitting under the stars doesn’t sound corny at all. I am glad that your sister found her king, the whole thing sounds so romantic. I wish that I could find love like that, I used to dream about it all the time but now I am not so sure that it’s in the cards for me. I haven’t dated much since having my heart broken in university. I just didn’t trust people, after that, it was so hard for me to open up.

Then last year I started dating Sean. Yes, the Sean that died in my brother’s driving accident. The thing is that no one knows, well no one knew, Maria found out last week when she tried to set me up with a blind date. I finally blurted it out in anger and she was surprised. Don’t judge me too harshly, Sean he wasn’t really the way most people saw him. Sure he liked to drink, but the other stuff, his reputation is all talk. He’s had a hard life, low self esteem, that’s why he acts the way he does. Truth is we had been friends most of our life and then last year when he had some problems with his father he would confide in me. We got closer. He loved the same type of movies as me and it would surprise most people to know that he loved to read to. One thing led to another and we were a couple. We kept it from everyone, not out of shame but just because we knew know one else would get it. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t love, it was two lonely people filling a void for each other. Please don’t tell my brother. He doesn’t know and it would only make him feel worse. I haven’t been able to tell anyone or really grieve the way I’ve needed to. Thank you so much for letting me do that know. You are so right; secrets do burn at the soul. Sounds like you are holding onto one hell of a secret, care to share?

So what is it really like in there? Is it as dangerous as what we see on TV? Is there a hierarchy and if so how do you keep yourself safe? How is Michael doing? Have you told him about the letters?

When your sister was dreaming about her King what were you dreaming about Max? What were your goals and dreams? Did you have someone in your life, are they still there now?

If I ever ask anything you don’t want to answer, just ignore the question please. The more I hear from you, the more I want to know. Please don’t stop writing to me.

Sincerely,

Liz Parker

Max put down the letter, a smile plastered across his face. She seemed so interested in his life, asked so many questions, but there was one she hadn’t asked. She hadn’t asked him who he had killed or how or why. He hoped she never did because for some reason when she asked him a question, he felt like he could tell her anything and that was something that he could never do.

“Who is the letter from? You’ve been getting a lot lately,” Michael asked his cellmate.

“Oh my sister,” Max explained.

“Really, I thought you weren’t talking to her”

“We weren’t but she’s been writing me and she’s going through some stuff so…”

“Oh whatever, it’s your purogative man, I was just wondering.”

“No problem.” Max hated lying but Liz needed to write to him right now and he knew Michael would put a stop to it if he knew. He needed to write to her too.
Last edited by maya on Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.