How Flying Feels *M/L ADULT* Pt 9 Pg5 5.30.08 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

Lorastar
Addicted Roswellian

How Flying Feels *M/L ADULT* Pt 9 Pg5 5.30.08 [WIP]

Post by Lorastar »

Title: How Flying Feels

Author: Lorastar

Disclaimer: I own nothing of Roswell. Obviously.

Summary: Max and Liz are best friends. They fall in love. End of story. Just a happy fluff piece, after a little bit.

Rating: Who knows? We'll go with adult for some language and possible adult natured scenes. ;)

Author’s Note: I know all of you are rolling your eyes and screaming “Not another story by HER!” at your computer screens, so I apologize. But I just finished Static Fight and feel the need to work on another story; this one should be finished a lot sooner than SF was. This story is dedicated to Danny, my wonderful fiancee and one of my best friends.
Part 1

‘I hate goodbyes. I need another one as badly as I need Jake “needs-to-get-laid” Armstrong telling the whole damn football team that he screwed me under the bleachers. Maybe if Armstrong was the one saying goodbye, it might be a good thing, but not when the one saying goodbye is my best friend.

How did things ever end up this way?

What did I do to make Max Evans fall in love with me?

And what happened to make him want to say goodbye to me so many times?’

The tears are streaming down my face, and I wipe at them quickly, knowing he hates it when I cry. Staring into his eyes as he whispers the words forlornly into the air around us, I see the moisture springing up, and the sincerity of his words.

“And I know that you don’t love me, so I…I guess this is goodbye.”

He turns to walk away, to leave me here. Alone.

“No.”

“What?”

The tears drip down from my eyes and I allow them to cascade. Damn him. Let him see that his walking away has its consequences. Let him see that he’s not the only one hurting by his confession.

“Are you seriously going to tell me that and walk away? Are you leaving me? You SWORE that you would never leave me. You FUCKING swore to me.” My voice rises violently and I stand there, screaming at him at the top of my lungs, rage flowing through my veins.

“Liz.” His face crinkles in pain as he stares at me.

“Don’t just ‘Liz’ me. You are my best friend. My best friend.” I can’t believe this. I am losing my best friend. So much for my happy ending.

His strong hands run through his hair shakily, mussing up the dark strands and causing them to fall onto his forehead haphazardly. Warm amber eyes meet mine and I look away quickly.

“Why are you doing this?” My voice shakes, my eyes plead.

“I lied to you, Liz. I will regret that until my dying day. I’m so sorry for lying to you.”

The blankets lying on the floor attempt to thwart my attempts to reach out to him; as I rise from my spot on my bed, I kick them away, but fall down. Max reaches out to catch me, and my small frame crashes down into his arms.

“I’m so confused!” I tease him from the floor of his room, my head resting on his shoulder.

“The movie’s made for surfers, it’s not that hard to follow.”

“For you, no.”

His black beanie rests on the floor between us, and I reach for it, sitting up, laughing as his head falls back onto the pillow and his attention once again turns to Point Break.

I pull on the beanie and fix my straight dark hair, laughing again at the movie, and quoting the smart ass Reeves. “’Do either of you have anything remotely interesting to say?’ ‘I surfed my first tube today.’ What’s that mean?”

“It’s when you’re in a wave that’s closed around you. You look cute in a beanie.”

I shake my head defiantly. “You say that all the time.” I smile as his gaze rests on me.

“You look like one of those hot snowboard girls.” He says, his eyes searching out mine, a smile on his face.

“Aaw…you’re so cute!”

“You’re cute.”

“No, I’m not. But you’re cute enough for both of us.” I reply, throwing myself back onto the ground and resting my head on his shoulder again.

“Yea, you are. You’re cute enough for all the people in China.”

“Am not! I’m cute enough to make up for one ugly ass!”

“Parker, it’s a good thing you’re funny as hell.” He says as he busts up laughing.

“I’m glad you’re my best friend.”

“Ditto.”

He catches me before I hit the ground and pulls me up and into his strong arms. “I’m so sorry, Liz. I’m so sorry.”

“I don’t care that you lied to me! I don’t care about that! This doesn’t have to be in the way of our friendship.” I tell him as I try to disentangle myself from him, my tears still cascading from my eyes, but now onto his arms as he steadies me.

“Iloveyou.”

“What?”

“I love you! How can that NOT get in the way of our friendship? You’re the girl for me. You’re my one true love.”

My head wobbles as I shake it from side to side. “No, I’m not. We’re seventeen, and you’ve already been in love three times. I’m just another girl. I’m your best friend; it’s easy to see why you think you have these certain feelings. But they’re fleeting! They’ll go away-“

“No, Liz, they won’t. I’ve never felt this way about a girl before. Every time I look into your eyes…I…I know that you’re the one.”

“What about Tess? You loved everything about her! You loved her hair, her voice.”

“I loved the music she listened to and that she skated. That’s all I knew about her.”

“You loved her makeup, the books she read, and her voice, her clothes, her hair, the way she spoke, and the things she was into. You loved everything about her. And that was only last month.”

“Liz. Listen to me. I never loved her. I love YOU. And only YOU. I know that you don’t love me, and that…that you hate that I love you, so that’s why I’m saying goodbye. I don’t want to hurt you. Every time that you are in pain, it reminds me that I’ve been lying to you this whole time. And I never want to do that again.”

I pout at him as he tries to walk away and out of my life.

“So don’t lie to me. But don’t leave me.” I add the last part in a whisper as he turns around and smiles, bittersweet: relief that he’s finally told me the truth mingling with the pain of leaving.
Last edited by Lorastar on Sat May 31, 2008 1:25 am, edited 14 times in total.
Lorastar
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lorastar »

Thank you all for reading! Woo! I feel loved! Hope you all like this update!

roswellian137, thanks for the fb.
LegalAlien, thanks for the fb.
cocopucks, I'm back. thanks for the feedback.
KiKi, you actually remembered and liked this story? Yay. Umm...yea, I posted part of it a while back, but it was erased, and I decided to resurrect it. So here it is.
RASaero611, thanks for the fb.
urpersonaloddball, thanks for the fb.
Behrsgirl1230, thanks for the fb.
Dani, thanks for the fb.
Haley, thanks, and here's more.
Gin, thanks. I love the best friends stories too!

If I forgot anyone, I'm sorry, forgive me, I'm in a hurry. My friends and I are going to see Wedding Crashers in a half hour. And I need to hunt down my boyfriend again.

Part 2

“How do you do this? Max, help me!” I turn around in the bathroom to face him. “We’re supposed to be at the movies in 10 minutes. Maria’s gonna kill us if we’re late.”

He takes the tattoo from my hands and peels the protective plastic off. “You follow the directions, Liz.”

“It’s kind of hard to read the directions when I’m putting it on my back, you retard!”

“You put it on, put water on it, and wait.”

“Help!”

I roll my shirt up and my jeans down to bare a space on my lower back for the green firefly temporary tattoo to go. Max places it against my skin and turn on the faucet.

“Don’t let your jeans fall down any lower.”

“I’m not going to. Why is this so awkward for you?” I ask, twisting to watch as he runs his hand under the water and uncomfortably presses it against my back. “I could understand if it were the front, but it’s only my back, and you’re my best friend. You should be fine with this!”

“I am. Now wait 30 seconds.”

I hum loudly as the time ticks bye. “Is it 30 seconds yet?”

“I was just going to ask you. Let’s go with sure.” He peels the paper off, revealing my new tattoo.

“Score. I love it! Thank you!” I squeal and hug him tightly.

“No problem.”

“Liz. Order’s up.” Michael’s voice shakes me out of my reverie as he dings the bell incessantly. “Table three looks like he’s about to eat the table if he doesn’t get his food soon.”

I flip him off discretely, and grab the plate from the counter I had been leaning on. Michael Guerin. You have to love the guy. He’s always there for you when you need a friend. And when I say always, I mean always. Especially since my dad hired him when Max quit working as a cook here at the Crashdown.

Michael smirks at me as I saunter over to table three, holding the guy’s burger and fries high in the air. Mr. Disgusting is practically salivating when he sees me approach, but then decides to play it “cool” when I place the food in front of him.

He glares at me, muttering a caustic “It’s about time.”

I smile sweetly at him, and walk away. The door jingles and Alex Whitman walks in, nods at me, and slides into his normal booth. I sigh loudly and walk over to him, sitting down across from him.

“Boys are stupid.”

Alex looks at me, cocking his eyebrows and closing one eye slightly. “Thanks, I think. What’s wrong?” He closes his menu and stares at me as I curl up into a ball on the bench and rest my head on my bare knees.

“Nothing.” My voice sounds shushed as I lie.

He sighs and reaches his hand out for mine. “Liz, I’ve known you for too long. What happened to make you suddenly realize all guys are stupid?” His voice is calm and I smile slightly at the fact that he didn’t try to defend that HE’S not stupid.

“Maxtoldmethathelovesmeandwalkedaway.”

“What? Take a deep breath and run that by me again.”

I look into his eyes, take that deep breath, and try again. “Max told me that he loves me and walked away.”

Alex looks stunned for a moment then smiles brilliantly. “It’s about time the kid said something to you! Wait…” his expression changes quickly, “he walked away from you?”

I nod.

“That kid is stupid.”

“Duh.”

“But at least he told you!” The smile returns. “Michael and I were taking bets on when he’d finally get the nerve to say something.”

“How long have you known?”

“We’ve known for a few months.”

He didn’t say anything about this to me for MONTHS? And even worse, other people who I consider my dearest friends, people I tell everything to- my deepest, DARKEST secrets- and they didn’t say anything to me about this?

“Liz, what happened to your arm?”

I quickly pull my short sleeve down as long as I can to hide the scratches. “Nothing.” My voice cracks as Alex stares at me disbelievingly. “Don’t tell Max.”

He nods slowly, his eyes clearly showing that he hates seeing me in pain. I squeeze his hand tightly before pulling away and dragging my order book and pen out of my pocket.

“So, Alex, what can I get for you today?”

“Pizza’s always good.”

“Yea.”

“Come on, Liz. You can do it; I have faith in you.”

“That really doesn’t help at this moment, but THANK YOU!”

“It’s not going to hurt you.” He soothingly states.

“YES IT WILL! I have the balance of a…something without balance!”

“Liz! It’s only a skateboard! Are you afraid of hurting it?”

“YES! Yes, I am!” I lied deftly.

Max kicked it roughly and it toppled, skidding down the street.

“See? You can be rough with it and it doesn’t get hurt. You’re not going to break it!”

I mutter under my breath, “No, it’ll just break me.”

“Come on. Get on and I’ll hold your hands. I won’t let anything happen to you.”

“You promise?” My eyes instantly turn into puppy dog eyes and I pout cutely at him.

He grins. “I promise. Now get on.”

“Fine.” I sigh and poke the skateboard with my foot. It doesn’t move. “Stay.” I order it, pointing my finger at it. I crawl on and whimper quietly as Max takes my hands.

“You okay?”

“Yea.”

“Good.”

He keeps my hands in his and walks around his street, pulling me on the skateboard. “Stand up straight so you don’t tip the board.”

I do, and then point my toes so that we turn.

“Okay. You wanted to go in a circle?” He asks, his tone amused.

“Sure.”

The bell above the door jingles again and I groan as I realize Max Evans just walked through the door. His eyes search me out and I turn around and walk away, into the employee only back room. I know he’ll sit at Alex’s table in my section, but I don’t think I’m ready to deal with him yet.

Courtney walks past me, and I reach out to grab her by the arm.

“Courtney, I need you to do me a favor.”

She eyes me suspiciously. “Since when do you ask me to help you out?”

“Since now. Look, you only have two tables filled in your section, all mine are full. You take table 5 and I’ll work the Saturday night shift for you this weekend.”

“Hold on.” She quickly moves to the door and peaks out to see who is seated at Table 5. “Fine.”

I follow her out and watch as she approaches the table. “Hi, my name is Courtney, and I’ll be your waitress for the evening. What can I get for you?”

Alex grins at her, but Max just watches me as I clean the counter and start on the milkshake orders. His voice reaches me even though he’s at least fifteen feet away from me.

“This is Liz’s section, Courtney. You might want to get back to your own.”

“Max. Be nice to your waitress.” Alex reprimands him.

Her voice is testy as she replies to him. “Max, if you weren’t cute, I wouldn’t be waiting on you. So what do you want? Cherry coke or cherry coke with arsenic?”

Footsteps resound behind me as I wipe the last table clean at closing. I turn around and almost run into the sculpted chest of my best friend, Max Evans. His hands reach out to steady me, and his eyes attempt to hold contact with mine. Easier said than done. He releases me as I back away, in a desperate attempt to act like nothing is awkward between us.

“What are you doing here, Max?”

“I had to see you. I couldn’t just leave things how they were last night.”

I turn around to face him and watch as he gingerly scratches a spot behind his ear, bending his neck down.

“Why’d you tell me?”

The depths of his warm amber eyes, always glowing with an inside joke, hollowly look into mine; I shudder instantaneously. “I needed to get rid of all the bullshit.”

“What do you want from me, Max? Are you going to walk away from me again? Do you even want to be my friend anymore?”

Shoes squeak slightly against the still damp floor as he makes his way towards me. When he’s within two feet of me, he stops, and I can hear the rapid noise of his shallow breathing.

“God, Liz. I couldn’t live without you as my best friend. I just want to be with you. And what I want is just for you to get what you want.”

I crane my neck to stare up at him. “How the hell can you want that for me when I don’t even know what I want? It would be awkward if we dated.”

He doesn’t say anything.

“Do you even want to date me?”

“I…I don’t know.”

My voice is sharp as I respond to him. “Figure out what you want, Max.” it softens, “Then call me.”

“What are you going to be?”

He looks away, across the dimly lighted residential street.

“I don’t know.”

I smile. “Someday you’re going to make some girl very happy. And you’ll have little kids: Rodrigo, Rico Suave, and a girl. What will you name your baby girl? Margarita.”

“That’s a nice name.”

“What do you think your life would be like if you had a eight to five job?”

He shudders from his spot on the sidewalk. “I don’t even want to think about it.”

“What do you want to be?”

“I don’t know. I’m going to end up alone.”

“No, you won’t. You have so much to offer.”

“I don’t know what I want to do with my life, parents won’t like that.”

“Maybe not, but as long as someone falls in love with you, it’s not an issue parents have a say in. What makes you happy?”

“Skating, guitar, you.”

I smile. “That’s your future.”

“What?”

“You’ll be a professional skater, who plays in a heavy metal band, and is married to me.”

“I like that.”

The phone rings shrilly in my ear as I’m attempting to fall asleep.

“Hello?”

“Liz? I definitely want a relationship with you.”

Silence.

“Liz?”

“I have to go.”
Lorastar
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lorastar »

Hello, everyone. Sorry it's taken me such a long time to get this part out. I decided to sit down and write some more, and what the heck, post a part while I had the file open. So...here it is, hope you all like it.

But first, some replies to your lovely feedback, because I REALLY APPRECIATE it all!

Alien614, I'm surprised you could remember this fic! I only posted a few parts before, and that was a long time ago! But I'm glad that you're reading it again, I hope you'll continue to like it.

RASaero611, thanks for the fb! I hope you'll like this next part.

anonymousarfan, thank you! As for the scratches...that will be explained in this part. OH! I so almost just posted the wrong part, and that might be a little confusing! So thank you for asking about the scratches!

taressa05, thank you! Umm...scratches will be explained in this part.

Maxsgurl, thank you! Yup, the scratches will be explained. Hehe...I'm glad you like the flashbacks, most of them are based on real incidents.

LegalAlien, thank you! Oh, yes, Max stood up for what he wanted. He'll be doing more of that.

Raychill, thank you! I hope you continue liking it!

cocopucks, thanks for the fb! I will definetly be posting more.

roswellian137, thank you! Yup, the scratched will be cleared up in this part. Hope you like this next part.

believer_evans, thank you! I hope it continues to hold your interest!

Smac, thank you! Liz is kinda messed up, which is one of the biggest problems she'll have in this story. Just fixing herself up without hurting herself and everyone around her, especially Max.

roni230, thank you! Maybe he was just pretending to like Tess to get to Liz, or maybe he really liked her. That didn't help at all, did it? The whole timeline of when he started liking Liz vs. Tess will be explained soon.

*Zans-gurl*, thanks for the feedback! I hope you like this next part.

RosyLady, thank you! I agree, stupidity is a contagious disease! I caught it and couldn't shake it for three months, but still have a flare up every once in a while. Like every day. Glad you like the flashbacks, there will be more of those.

Ki-ki, thanks for the bump. I'm back with the next part, and hopefully will be back with a new banner soon. Oh, btw, I just finished reading your story Greener w/ the Scenery, which I loved. What other stories are you working on?

Anywho, here's part three, hope you all like it!

Part 3

“It’s my fault that she’s in the hospital. I hurt everyone.” The tears pour from my eyes in a torrential wave of emotion as Max kneels beside me.

“No, Liz, it’s not your fault. Don’t blame yourself.”

“I stressed her so much she had to go to the hospital. I put my mom in the hospital!”

“Liz, Liz, no, you didn’t do anything.”

I pull away from him as his arm wraps around my back and rests comfortingly.

“I hurt everyone. Don’t touch me, I’ll hurt you, too.”

“Liz, you are the best girl I have ever met. You’ve never hurt anyone; you’re not going to hurt me.”

Tear stained eyes meet his worried ones, and I speak quietly. “Yes, I will.”

The blade glitters hesitantly as moonlight creeps into the dark room. Red numbers blaze in my mind as I squeeze my eyes tightly against the pseudo pain. Crimson scratches appear on my bare leg as the blade runs against the skin of my leg over and over again.

It’s hardest to think rationally at two in the morning.

How am I supposed to feel about my best friend? I love him more than I ever thought it was possible to love someone. But I don’t think I love him like that. I don’t know what to do, what to think, what to feel.

“Hey, you want to hang out after work today?” He asks, wiping his hands on the white apron stained by various ingredients in the scrumptious Crashdown food.

“Sure. You get off at 1:30, right?”

Is it fair to date someone just to make them happy?

The blade of the X-acto knife slices into my skin yet again and I cringe visibly, forcing myself into the wall at my back. If he finds out about this, he’ll be disappointed in me. He hates it that I hurt myself.

Max knows everything about me. He accepts everything.

I don’t want to let him down again.

And I’d rather date him than lose him. Even if I don’t love him the way he thinks he does me.

“I’m scared, Max!”

“Hold my hand!” We grasp hands tightly as my little car quickly drives down the steep hill and we narrowly avoid the edge of the mountain road. “Okay, that’s enough.” I laugh and let go, wiping my hand on my pants.

“I want my mommy!”

“YOUR CAR DOESN’T HAVE AN OH SHIT HANDLE!”

I laugh again as he screams and clutches the door.

Memories press down on me, attempting to drown me. I stand quickly and grab a pair of jeans, and slide them over my bleeding legs. The fabric applies pressure to the scratches and I grimace as I bend and reach for a pair of shoes.

Vans.

Another reminder of my best friend, Max.

“I don’t know. Do you like it?”

I roll my eyes. “Max! It doesn’t matter if I like it. It’s your money, you’re the one who has to wear it.”

“But I don’t have to look at myself all day.”

“Neither do I. Now make up your mind.”

He looks at the button down shirt and tilts his head.

“I like it, but I don’t know if it’s worth the money.”

My eyes roll again. I swear they do it of their own accord when I’m around Max.

“Look, I’ll give you an incentive: you find a nice button down shirt you can live with, and I’ll buy a pair of Vans.”

“Okay!” He smiles and puts the shirt back on the rack. “But at the mall.”

“Right now?” I whine.

“Right now.”

The window gets stuck when I try to pry it open. It opens tentatively when I smash my hand under the frame and push up with all my strength. The cold air whirls in as I step out onto the balcony. Small twinkle lights shine happily at me as I rush to the side of the wall and swing my weight over it to the ladder. I hurry down and jump off the last step into the dark alley behind my home.

Why can’t anything ever be simple? Why can’t a guy and a girl just be friends without one of them developing these feelings for the other? Why do we have to let our hearts get involved? It only creates pain and heartache in the long run.

I turn the corner and walk down Main Street. Everything’s closed, no cars speed down the street, it’s completely empty. Just like my brain.

My cell phone beeps in my pocket and I pull it out slowly, unwilling to see who is crazy enough to send a text message at two AM.

Jake.

Yuck.

I open it, a wave of nausea and unease flitting painfully through me.

“You should be happy with a guy like Max. Lower your expectations, and never be disappointed.”

Max should never be with a girl who has to lower her expectations to accept him. He deserves so much better than that. He deserves so much better than me.

I don’t want to hurt him, but the ironic thing is, I know that’s exactly what I’m doing by not giving in and having a relationship with him. I want him to be happy, maybe seeing him happy will make me happy. Does that make it right to be with him?

I lean against a brick wall and send him a reply before turning off my phone. “no expectations. girls like me don’t deserve guys like max. only abusive guys who cheat and try to kill them.”

I don’t deserve to be loved the way Max could love me. The way he does love me. Why am I the only person who sees the horrible person that I really am? Why am the only one who can see my faults? Who throws them in my face again and again?

“I’m ugly.”

He sighs. “What? Liz, you are not.”

“Yes, I am. You’re just blind when it comes to me.”

“Then I don’t want to see, because you’re fucking beautiful.”

“You’re biased.”

“Why?”

“Because you’re my best friend.”

“Whatever.”

It’s really no surprise when I look up and realize I’m standing in front of Max’s house. I stand in the street and dance by myself, hoping to shake my head hard enough to clear the self-imposed fog out, or to wake myself from this dream. Or is it a nightmare? I don’t know anymore.

I sing quietly by myself to break the silence that threatens to drown me as I dance.

“I think I know how dying feels, and if this is all just a dream, what’s one more year waiting for you? I’m breathing for you. What a price to pay to want to know how flying feels. You want to know how flying feels. I think I know how dying feels.”

I spin and shake my butt, joyful that no one is around to see me dancing in the middle of the street.

“Cause I’m still waiting for you, facing that I’m slowly dying here. Can’t you see that’s the least of my fears?”

A long jagged crack runs down the middle of the street and I stand there staring at it. It’s all so very symbolic. One side has Max’s house, his car, him, and the other side has me. Why can’t I be on the same side of the street as him? It’s as though that crack- the product of who knows what- is keeping me from what might very well be my happiness.

But what if my reaction to the simple crack is what’s keeping me in line? What if I cross over the line and my life gets turned upside down. No, that’s not the problem; it’s already been turned upside down.

What am I afraid of? Am I afraid of being with Max and realizing that we’re not right for each other? Am I afraid of ruining our friendship?

Yes.

I’m afraid of hurting the one person who would never intentionally hurt me. I’m afraid of being with him and breaking his heart like every other girl he’s ever loved. I’m afraid of being just myself and not being enough for him. I’m afraid of missing out on something that could bring happiness to both of us, though. I’m afraid of falling in love with my best friend.

I’ll never know if I could love him unless I make that step though. I need to cross the line and accept that I’m afraid, but move forward, regardless. And I will. Right now.

Yea, any time.

Now.

I take a deep breath and let it out unsteadily.

I’m not afraid. No. Not at all.

I stare down at the line in front of me, tracing it with the toe of my shoe before stepping onto it and jumping up and down. See, I’ll show that line who’s boss. Now if I could only destroy the lines in my mind keeping me from Max.

“What did you think of me before we were such good friends?”

“I thought you were the cute girl who would spend her time with Kyle, who would constantly be hitting on you. And I would hang out with Andrew, because emo and rock have more in common than I would with those other nerds in class.”

“I thought the same thing, basically.”

The light by his bed is still on, and as I stand at his window, I can see his sleeping face. He looks so innocent and content, lost in slumber. I’ll come back in the morning; just let him sleep tonight, before I fuck up his whole entire world.

But before I can escape, I place my hand on his window, and of course it opens. I think that’s a sign. One deep breath later and I’m climbing through his open window, cussing under my breath as my shirt gets caught on the windowsill. I free it and swing my legs down to the floor.

He doesn’t stir as I sit on the bed next to him. The mattress dips slightly under my weight and I edge closer to him. My hand grasps his and I stare at his face.

Max is a good-looking guy; I would never try to deny that. His tan skin is soft and pliant as he lays there, dreaming about who knows what. I resist the urge to poke it and see if it really is as soft as I think it would be. Dark stubble covers his strong chin from me, and I run my hand over it; it scratches me gently.

His eyes open.

“Hey.” I whisper, nonchalantly.

“Hey.” He replies, sleepily. His eyes squint, showing his obvious confusion at waking at three AM and finding me in his room.

“Having good dreams?”

“I was, yea.” He sits up and leans against his headboard. “What are you doing here?”

“I wanted to talk.”

“You couldn’t wait till the morning?” He asks, incredulous.

I shake my head. “No.”

“What did you want to talk about?”

“Guess.”

“You’re going to turn me down, right?”

“No.”

“What?”

I sigh and lean to sit next to him. He takes my hand and strokes it gently. I smile as his thumb strokes the underside of my hand. I’m ticklish there, but somehow he doesn’t know it.

“Max. I’m going to mess up your life, if we date.”

“Liz. My life is already fucked up. Look at my history: my girlfriend cheated on me; the next one lied to me, saying she didn’t want a relationship, then started dating my friend; and the next girl was a switch hitter; my mom hates me; I don’t know what I’m doing after this year regarding school, I’m already messed up. You aren’t going to mess anything up more than it already is.”

“Well, when you look at it THAT way.” I tease. My voice sobers, “Your mom doesn’t hate you.”

“Whatever.”

“That’s not what I wanted to talk about.” I squeeze his hand tightly. “I’m going to fuck up your world somehow, on accident, of course, but it’s a given that I will. BUT-“ I add loudly as he tries to cut me off. “I want to try a relationship with you.”

He doesn’t say anything.

“That is, if you…if you still want that. I mean, if you don’t…that’s okay. I completely understand.”

Max still doesn’t say anything, so I pull my hand out of his and start to swing my legs to the floor. He starts laughing.

“What?” I ask.

“Holy fucking shit!”

“What?”

“Of course I still want a relationship with you, Liz.”

I smile, relieved…I guess.

He pulls me into a hug and we just look at each other. Our faces are mere inches away from each other. I should lean in and kiss him, bring my lips to meet his in a kiss of promises for the future. I should tell him how I happy I am. I should tell him that I will be a good girlfriend. I should tell him that I want to make him happy; that that’s what I live for. I should tell him that I love him. I should, but I don’t.

Max smiles at me, and I want to lose myself in that smile that always warms me better than the sun. But, for the first time, his smile leaves me cold.

“I love you.” He whispers quietly.

I don’t reply, and he doesn’t push.
Lorastar
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lorastar »

I guess you might be able to say I'm procrastinating from finishing homework. But who can blame me? An essay on How to Tame a Wild Tongue by Gloria Anzaldua and a response paper on selling gammetes (sp)? *sigh* Too much school, not enough Roswell.

Anywho...here's the next part, hope you all like it!

Part 4

“I’m dating my best friend.” I tell Tess suddenly, before taking another sip of my Sunkist. I try my hardest to ignore the look of pure happiness that crosses her face and the blinding smile she replies with.

She grabs my arm and gushes loudly, “Max?”

“Yup.”

“You’re dating Max Evans?”

“Yea.”

“That is too perfect!”

I smile brightly. How Max could love the girl in front of me one month, and then me the next, I will never understand. Tess and I are complete opposites, she’s beautiful, and blonde, and bubbly…and I’m just insane.

“You’re untouchable now, you realize that, right?”

I laugh, thinking fondly of our group, nicknamed The Untouchables. Our theme song is MC Hammer’s ‘Can’t Touch This.’ “I’ve always been part of the group, Tess.”

“Yea, but now you’re not just in love with one of the untouchables, you are untouchable yourself. Kyle, Mikey, Sean, Alex, and Andrew can’t touch you. You’re Max’s.”

“I think I’ve always been Max’s.” I blush slightly as I realize the words that just left my mouth.

“I’m afraid of the dark!”

“Max! We’re inside the mall!”

Maria laughs loudly as Max clutches my hand tightly in his.

“Poor baby, just hold on to Liz, and there’ll be nothing to fear. It’s all okay.”

He looks at me and tightens his hold on my hand, “You promise?” His puppy dog eyes look into mine and I laugh.

“Yes.”

“Do you love him?”

My mouth opens but no words spill out of their own accord. I shut it and try again, trying to voice an emotion I don’t even know.

“Maybe.”

Tess looks at me, and smiles slightly, confused. “How can you not know?”

I lift my head and glance into her crystal blue eyes. Tess isn’t like me, she displays her emotions in everything she does. Every glance she throws your way forces you to comprehend the mountains of emotions she struggles with. Every time she hugs you, you know if she’s reaching out because she’s dying inside, or if she’s reaching out to you because she knows you’re dying inside. I bite my lip and look away.

“It’s not that easy, Tess, you know?” I bite my lip again. “It’s not this clear…thing. I love him, in my own way…but I don’t know how I love him.”

She reaches out and wraps her arms around me, cooing comfortingly. “Oh, Liz, it’s okay. You and Max belong together, feelings of the right kind of love will come soon.”

I smile.

“Yea, you’re probably right.”

She laughs brazenly. “Probably right? Sweetheart, I’m always right. I’m Tess Harding.”

“So…what are we?”

“What do you mean?”

“Are you my girlfriend?”

“Are you my boyfriend?”

“Yea…I guess I am.”

I smile. “Then…yea…I guess I am.”

“Sweet.”

How long do we wait for someone to love us only to fuck it up a day later? How often do we try so hard that we ruin something that would’ve been good? How many times do we destroy the person we should love because we try to refrain from getting attached? How often does it happen that we kill ourselves to protect another? How long does that person than grieve for the happiness of the one they thought they could’ve loved? Do they grieve at all?

If you hurt someone badly enough, do they care about you at all? If you argue with a guy long enough about the way he loves you…does he lose that love? If you hear him say “I love you” enough times…when do you start to believe it?

And if that guy tells you that you’re beautiful…how long can you fight that? How long can you let yourself be run by your insecurities when the sweetest guy in the world is constantly telling you that you’re cute? Or beautiful?

Or have a nice ass?

“This crack is killing my ass!” Max randomly states, standing up quickly.

I bust up into laughter.

“Umm…I’m sorry? That has got to be one of the funniest things I’ve ever heard!”

He laughs along with me as he stands in front of his jeep parked in front of his house on the darkened street.

“Stop looking at my ass, Liz!” He exclaims, teasingly.

“I wasn’t!”

“Sure you weren’t. I believe that.”

“I WASN’T!” I yell loudly, then quietly add, “it’s not my fault that it’s so nice.”

“What?”

Umm…think quick Liz. “I said, I could only wish my ass was as nice as yours!” Damn, that wasn’t any better.

He smiles brightly. “Yours is okay.”

“Just okay?”

“It’s pretty nice.”

I turn and look at my behind. “Hear that? You’re pretty nice.”

Max cracks up. “You’re talking to your ass?”

“It’s better than you talking to Little Max.”

He blushes. He’s so cute when he’s embarrassed.

“You’re the one who tried giving me a wedgie when I didn’t have boxers on.”

“HEY! It wasn’t my fault. I didn’t know you chose to go commando that night!” I mumble.

“Sorry about that.”

My cell phone rings and I answer it quickly. “Strawberry’s House of Porn. How may I assist you?”

“Liz?” Max’s voice sounds confused.

“No, we have no Liz here.”

“Liz?”

“This is Strawberry.”

“Oh, hi. It’s Red Rocket.”

I laugh loudly and Tess looks at me strangely.

“What’s up, double R?”

His voice is calm as he asks if I want to hang out at his place later and watch a movie. Mine is equally calm as I tell him I’d love to. And I would. I need to spend a lot more time with him to see how I really feel.

“Great.” He replies. “I’ll see you around eight?”

“Sounds good, Max. See you then.”

“Okay, bye. I love you.”

I smile. “Bye.” And then hang up the phone.

“So…Lizzie…you and Max are hanging out tonight?” Tess’ eyebrows raise suggestively and I burst into laughter.

“Tess, my dear. You are spending WAY too much time with Kyle and Max.”

She rolls her eyes in annoyance. “Yea, but that’s what I get for dating that moron.”

“Kyle’s a much better person when he’s with you.”

Tess laughs. “Of course he is. I make everyone a better person.” She wraps her arm around my shoulders and starts guiding me away from the table I parked my lazy ass at. “Come on, we’ve got to get you ready for tonight.”

I glance at my watch, and exclaim: “Tess! It’s only six. I don’t have to be there until eight!”

She nods, and answers me. “I know, but we have to make you so beautiful you leave him speechless. And that’s gonna take some work.”

I groan but allow her to push me up the stairs to my family’s apartment. This should be fun.
Lorastar
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lorastar »

Hello everyone,

it's been a while since I've posted a new part, so I thought I'd swing by while my stupid internet is working. wait...it's wonderful! I love my internet! The best thing since sliced bread!

Anywho.

Thank you to Behrsgirl1230, kittens, and Alien614 for the feedback! And thanks to everyone else who's reading this story!

Oh, posted a new banner on page 1! Let me know if you like it!

Part 5

Tess puts the finishing touch on my lip gloss and grins widely. “There you go, my dear. See how beautiful I made you.”

I look into the mirror and gasp. She made me look pretty. My normally straight hair is wavy and cascading over my thin shoulders in shiny waves. Tess had put eye liner on, which I never wear, and applied glittery eye makeup. My lips shine in the light from the overhead light.

“Ooooooh.” I murmur, leaning closer towards the mirror. As I reach up to touch my shiny and irresistible hair, Tess slaps my hand away. I glare at her, pouting like a five year old. “Why’d you do that?”

She pokes her finger into my side repeatedly and I cringe away from her. “No touching! You’ll ruin it all before you have a chance for him to see you.” She walks away quickly, leaving me alone to watch after her as she mumbles something about finding any acceptable clothing in my closet.

Safely out of her sight, I “oooohh” again and touch my soft and silky hair. Ooh! It feels so pretty! I’m so pretty! Oh so pretty!

“I said no touching!” Tess shouts from my room.

I sigh and walk into my bedroom, already faced with the huge mess Tess has made from rummaging through my clothes. She holds up her choice of clothing and I back away quickly, running into the door behind me.

“NO! Nu-uh. No way, Jose.”

I knock on the door gently and it opens instantly. Max stands in the doorway and smiles happily at me. His eyes trace a path down my whole body, stopping back up at my face. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, he is staring at my face and not my boobs. Ha! Take that Tess, all that fighting about the clothes and he’s still staring at my face.

I laugh and do a happy dance.

I so won that war.

Max laughs. “You’re so cute.”

Now I blush.

“Thank you.”

He opens the door wider for me to enter and I brush his side accidentally as I squeeze past him. His breath tickles my ear as he whispers a sudden, “You look beautiful.”

Did I stop blushing or am I just doing it again? When did Max develop the power to make me blush so easily?

I walk past him quickly, retracing the familiar path to his bedroom, pausing briefly to chat with his parents about work, and graduation.

Oh, did I mention I graduated high school last month?

And that Max is going back as a senior?

Oh, well. I’m a month older than Max, but started school a year early.

Moving on.

He opens his bedroom door for me and I teeter cautiously through his messy room, laundry covering close to every inch of the new carpet. I throw myself onto his bed and sink into the hole that makes up the middle of his mattress.

Max flops down next to me and moves his hands to my waist, stroking the silky tan blouse Tess manipulated me into wearing. The neckline sneaks lower and offers him a view of my chest, and I can’t help but wonder if that’s what he wants to see. He’s never been the kind of friend who’s ever seemed interested in me like that.

I glance away and giggle as he starts tickling me, his strong fingers running up and down my side, tickling the crap out of me.

“Oh, that’s it!” I exclaim, galvanized into action. In a moment of sudden strength, I wiggle away from him and throw myself onto him, and attempt to make myself heavier. How? Thinking about food, silly.

See, I have this theory, anytime you even think about food, your body thinks it’s receiving some, and therefore you gain weight. And, the reason you always seem to weigh more when you weigh yourself is because you always think about food right when you get on.

Anywho…

“Ooohhh.” Max groans from underneath me and I throw my head back and laugh.

Until he stirs enough to smack my ass.

“Hey!”

He pushes me off and attempts to pin me down, his strong arms surrounding me. I breathe in and smell him. “How do you like that pretty girl?”

Wrinkling my nose I stick my tongue out at him. “Eeewww! You smell like a boy!”

He laughs, “Yea? At least that’s better than smelling like you!”

I glare at him defiantly. “Hey! I smell pretty! Oh so pretty!” And then I reach up and start tickling him all over. “Take that pretty boy.” My elbow collides with his stomach and he groans, rolling off of me.

“Time out!” he croaks as my wandering fingers begin to tickle the inside of his arms lightly.

“Poor baby!” I exclaim and roll over onto my side to look at him better. “Are you okay? Did I hurt you bad?”

His closed eyes open slowly and stare at my worried face. Suddenly, his eyes begin shining impishly and he throws himself back onto me, tickling me like crazy.

“Noodle!” I yell, “NOODLE!”

He laughs and stops tickling me. “Truce?”

“Truce.” I mumble in response.

He leaps off the bed and tries to make his way to the TV, walking all over yesterdays outfit, and probably tomorrows. “What movie do you want to watch?” he asks, safely by his entertainment center.

My eyes dart around his room, searching for the illusive black trash bags. I have to do something with this room. Must clean. It’s a horrible urge, one that rarely strikes in the safety of my own chaotic room.

“Oh, umm…Anchorman.” I mumble as I stealthily slide off his bed onto the thick layer of summertime clothes that sticks to the floor like white on rice. Ooohh…comfy. I glance under the bed.

“Max! When’s the last time you cleaned your room?” I ask as I reach my hand dangerously under the bed to remove crusty dishes.

He sticks the movie in and presses play before leaping to my side and sticking the bowl back under the bed. “I’ll clean later, now just watch the movie.”

We lay back down on the couch and spoon, his body wrapped comfortingly around my back, one arm resting on my waist. And as the movie starts, I can’t help but smile.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Max, I have to go home.” I whisper in his ear as we stand in his kitchen, drinking chocolate milk. The boy won’t drink milk unless it has chocolate in it. What a little boy.

Isn’t he cute?

Glancing at the microwave clock, he nods, setting down his glass. Slowly, he takes my hand and I grab my purse off the counter, not really wanting to leave yet. Chilly midnight air strikes my skin, causing me to shiver. Max wraps his arm around me, and rubs my bare arms comfortingly.

We walk slowly to my car and I lean up against it when we finally get there. Is he going to kiss me? Is this the moment that we’ll really notice something different in our relationship? And what if it doesn’t seem right? What will happen then?

He wraps his arms around me and I copy the movement, resting my head onto his steady shoulder. We hold each other, not talking, just being together. Five minutes later I pull away, really needing to get home before my parents notice I’m late.

“Okay.” He says, pulling away, but now holding my hand. I wipe my other hand on my loose black Dickies before fishing through my purse to find my keys. I find them and pull them out triumphantly, my hand clasped around the VW bug keychain my dad gave me years ago. I wrap my arms around him one last time, squeezing tightly before pulling away completely.

“Okay.” I repeat, unlocking the door and turning back to face him. “I guess I’ll see you tomorrow. Have a good night.”

“Yea, you too. Love you, Liz. Bye.”

I smile at him and open the door. He walks to the driveway and watches as I drive away. Except for the ending I love you remark, tonight was fun. Just like always.
Lorastar
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lorastar »

Hello peoples! I'm finally back with another part! Thank you all SO MUCH for reading this story!

Ki-Ki
Max you idiot. That was your chance to make a move. Kiss her damn it!

Come back soon with an update of one of my favourite fics. Please? I dont care that you jus updated. I really dont mind if you come back right now.
Aren't boys stupid? It'll happen...eventually. This is one of your favorite fics? Really? YAY! Sorry it took so long to get this part up. I was going to post a while ago and then pulled up the file and realized I never finished the part. Hope you like it, though.

RoninBehr
I just found this fic and its an awesome one! I love what I read so far and I hope you come back soon to post some more Wink

~RoninBehr
Thank you so much! I hope you continue to like the story!

Alien614
Max! Why didn't you kiss her! Hope he makes up for it on the next date. Very Happy
Thanks for the feedback. The reason he didn't kiss her will come up very soon. Not in this part, but the next part. Hope you like this one!

Emz80m
great part.
Thank you!

Behrsgirl77
I missed an update! Shame on me!! Okay Max needed to kiss her right then and there, well that was my inital thought...but now I have to say if he did, she might have analyzed it to death and ended up thinking one thing when in actuality it was something else...*sigh*

Okay! Loved it all...now come back with more!
Hmm...maybe I should start sending out pm's again when I update. I agree with your thinking about how Liz would have analyzed it to death and taken it the wrong way. She's more than a little confused at this point. Hope you like this next part!

Behrsgirl1230
He reeeallly should have kissed her. I mean they watched a movie and were spooning, he could at least kiss her!
True, but him being a boy, didn't think about that. Or did he?

BehrObsession
I just discovered this today. I'm finding it interesting, but I thought you said it was a fluff piece? I haven't seen a lot of fluff as of yet. I'll stick around to see when it happens.
So I discovered something when I started writing this fic, I suck at fluff. But it will be getting better, I swear. It'll have more conflict coming up, but it'll be a lot happier than the last story I just finished! Glad to hear you'll stick around for the rest!

brighteyes
this is awesome

i'm confused about the leaving her part in the first part.
Thank you! Well, Max was going to leave her, and not be her best friend anymore, because he thought she wouldn't want to be around him. Not now that he openly admitted that he still liked her like that. But Liz wouldn't let him. Sorry about that.

eb
Just found this and I really like - more please Very Happy
-eb
Thanks! Hope you like this next part.

Paula
This story is sooo good!...please post more soon. I'll be waiting.

Paula Smile
Thank you! Sorry it took me so long to get this new part out, hope you like it!

And now onto the story....

Part 6

Tess looks up from the breakfast burrito she was just devouring. Seriously, how does a girl who eats as though there was no tomorrow manage to stay so thin and beautiful? I mean, I eat like a cow but still manage to gain weight. Tess, no, she stays perfect.

I roll my eyes at her as she looks at me expectantly, and then decide to try and look innocent. Tess takes another bite. Oh! I think my faux innocence is working! It’s working! It’s working!

“So, how’d everything go last night?”

Oh, and it stopped working.

I prop my elbow on the table and rest my head in my hand. “Good, we had fun.”

“What’d you do?”

I smile at the memory. “We had a tickle fight and watched Anchorman.”

Tess smiles cheesily. “Sounds like something the two of you would do.” She takes another gigantic bite. “So how good of a kisser is Max?”

A blush is probably covering my face right about now, but I still try to maintain a calm collected expression. “I wouldn’t know.”

She chokes on that amazing breakfast burrito. We make really good breakfast burritos, perfectly warm tortillas with fluffy scrambled eggs, spicy sausage, and the best authentic salsa you can get in Roswell. I eat them everyday.

She’s still choking.

I think her face is turning blue now.

I wish I had my camera with me.

Oohh…what talent. She’s choking and glaring at me at the same time. Oh, oh, oh! Is that the universal sign for choking?

Maybe I should do something.

I sigh as I get my lazy ass off the bench and walk over to stand behind her. Lazily, I slap her back until she starts coughing and spits something up that she quickly covers with a napkin.

“Get back here!” She orders in a less than normal voice.

I sit back down at my seat and watch as she takes another bite of that darn breakfast burrito. They’re so good they’re worth risking your life for.

She swallows. “What do you mean you wouldn’t know?”

I shrug. “I. Wouldn’t. Know.”

“You mean you guys didn’t kiss?”

“Nope.” I look at my fingernails, examining each for those tiny particles of nail polish I have yet to pick off. There aren’t any.

“Why not?”

I lean across the table and look at her. “You know, it just didn’t happen. It’s no big deal.”

“Yes it is! Why didn’t you kiss him?”

I lean back. “I’ve never kissed a guy before, so I didn’t really want to scare him off by being amazingly bad at it.”

“And he didn’t even try to kiss you?”

I shrug. “Maybe, but I didn’t really notice. We hugged for like five minutes when I left, but I don’t think he made a move then.” Maybe it’s a good thing nothing happened, I don’t really know if I want to be kissing my best friend quite yet.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“So you’ve never had a boyfriend?”

“Nope.” I lean back onto the couch in the dimly lit employee lounge.

“Why not?”

“I just haven’t had a guy I like actually like me back. It’s no big deal.”

“That means you’ve never been kissed either?”

“Yea.” I cringe, I’m so pathetic.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Max is playing his guitar. I’m standing on the street in front of his house, leaning onto the hood of my white Mitsubishi Mirage. His amp is turned up, effects masking the sound of the electric guitar’s normal sound. The music he plays is fast and exciting.

That’s one of the things I’ve always like about him, since we met.

I prance to his open window and poke my head in before climbing carefully into the room. He doesn’t even notice a girl standing by his window and continues playing, fingers dancing artfully over the strings, his other hard clinging to the pick that runs over the strings so quickly and carefully.

He finishes and finally looks up. Lifting the strap over his head, he sets the guitar back down on his bed and walks over to me, smiling.

“Hey.”

I smile back. “Hi. I was, uh…you know, in the neighborhood.” I point out the window like an idiot as he approaches. His amber eyes shine and I shiver inadvertently, seeing something in his eyes that I’m not used to seeing there.

Love.

My best friend is looking at me with unadulterated love in his eyes.

And at this moment, I can’t help but wonder what would happen if I had that look shining in my eyes, too.

“I’m glad you’re here. I tried calling you, but you weren’t answering your cell phone.”

I nod, shaking my head quickly, too quickly and I nervously lean next to him on the desk. “I was working. Dad had me working overtime because Agnes called in sick again. I swear,” a shaky laugh escapes my lips, “the second Dad names me assistant manager: I’m firing her sorry ass.”

He nods. “Want to do something?”

“Sure.” I smile for real. “What did you have in mind?”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Twenty minutes later, Max and I are in my car on our way to the local pound.

“So, we’re going to adopt a puppy?”

“Yup.”

I bounce in my seat and narrowly miss hitting a pick up truck in the next lane. Giggling, I continue bouncing.

“What are we going to do with it? Who will it stay with?”

“Would your parents be okay with it?”

“Umm…would yours?”

“My mom will kill us.”

“Mine too.”

I look at him and smile, even as my cell phone rings annoyingly. “Hey, would you answer that for me.”

He picks it up and answers it. “Yo!”

He laughs. “It’s Maria.”

“HI MARIA!” I yell to her.

“HI LIZ!” She responds.

Silence, then Max. “Oh, we’re going to get a Baby.” Silence. “What kind of baby?”

“We’re getting a black baby!”

He laughs. “We’re going to the pound to adopt a puppy. And we’re going to name it Baby. She wants to be the godmother.” He adds.

“Yay! Our Baby will be spoiled!”

“Hardly.” I can hear Maria respond. “I’m poorer than you.”

Twenty minutes later we’re seriously confused about where this place is. I’m pouting and Max is getting slightly frustrated. “I thought you said it was down that street.”

I squint, trying to make out the name of the street we’re approaching. “Oooh!” I squeal. “I think that’s the one!” I slow the car and turn right onto the hilly road, and my car decides to slow down even more. “We’re coming, Baby! We’re coming!”

Max laughs at me and takes my hand in his. A small smile crosses my face and I squeeze his hand. He squeezes back gently.

The small facility appears on our right and I pull off the road into the dirt parking lot. I do a happy dance as we step out of the car.

“Uh, Liz?” Max starts.

“Yea?” I ask as he stares at a sign.

He turns and walks back to me. “They’re closed.”

“Dang it! My Baby’s in there! Max we have to get her!”

He takes my hand in his and guides me back to the car, sneakily stealing my keys from my pocket.

“We’ll get her soon, don’t worry.”

“Max! You know what we should do?” I ask as I slide into the passenger seat.

He climbs in and starts the car. I pretend choke as the sliding seatbelt hits me. Why on Earth did Mitsubishi make a seat belt that slides when the door opens and closes? I’m perfectly capable of connecting a seat belt myself, thank you very much.

“What?”

“We should go somewhere for your birthday, on an overnight trip and come back with a puppy! We’d freak your parents out so much.”

He laughs and glances over at me. “Especially if we said we went to Vegas.”

“How about Vegas New Mexico?”

He laughs again. “It’s a date.”

“Good.” I smile again.

“So, I had fun, again.” I lean against the car, watching the stars twinkle over the mountains.

He leans closer to me. “Yeah, I did too. I always have fun with you, Liz.”

“Even after we almost died?”

“Even almost dying is fun with you.”

I nudge him with my shoulder. “You too.”

He motions towards his house, “Well, I should probably go in.”

I turn to face him, smiling slightly. “Yeah, I should probably get home, too.”

“Want to do something tomorrow?”

“Of course, silly.”

“Good.”

His arms wrap around me suddenly and mine quickly find their way around him. Hugging is good, familiar, something we’ve done for months, since before he even liked me.

We cling tightly to each other for several minutes before pulling away. He squeezes my hand as he tells me once again that he loves me. I can’t help but wonder if he notices I never say it back. Maybe someday. Hopefully someday soon.

He slowly pulls his hand out of mine and walks up to his house, smiling back at me before he disappears. I sigh, climbing back into my car and driving off.

What am I going to do?
Lorastar
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lorastar »

Thanks for the support, Tanya, Alien614, and behr_able!

Part 7

I shuffle the clothes on the rack, looking for something that will actually cover my body instead of exposing it to everyone.

“So, he still hasn’t kissed you?” Tess asks, lifting scraps of clothing up to examine them better. I nod and return to the rack. Why is everything so tiny? “When the heck are you going to make a move?”

“You know” I mumble, pushing another teeny shirt away from me, “he should be the one to grow some balls and make the move. I’m the girl in the relationship, I wear the miniskirt. If he loved me as much as he says he does, he’d do it.”

Tess hands me a shirt and I stare at it, tilting my head to get a better view. Hmm…this one might actually cover my body.

“True. Have you decided what to do about college?”

I sigh. Ever since getting that rejection letter from my first choice college in California, I’ve been avoiding the topic. “Community.”

“Community?” Tess asks, her mouth hanging open. “Lizabeth! You’re too smart for that!”

I walk past her. “I ran out of other options. I’m on the waiting list, but I won’t get in.”

Tess rolls her eyes and hands me another item. I squint and cock my head as I stare at it. “What is this?”

“A miniskirt. Do you always have to be so negative?”

“A miniskirt? It looks like underwear without a crotch.” I put it back on the shelf. “And, no, I don’t have to be negative. I’m realistic, there’s a huge difference. I’m always pleasantly surprised when something good happens to me.”

Before I know it, the crotch-less underwear are back in my hands, thanks to that insistent little bugger named Tess.

“Dudette, this is serious! Not community! What about CSUF? Have you heard from them? You can’t stay here! Not with me leaving for Cali soon.”

I shrug. “Not yet. But, hon, it’ll be ok. You’ll have Kyle.” I wrap an arm around her. “And I’ll have Max to keep me company. As soon as he graduates, we’ll bail out of this crap town.”

She hugs me back.

“Do you think all teens are like that? Thinking their towns are crap?”

“Of course.” I put the skirt back for the second time, sneakier this time. “We’re stereotypical teens, after all.”

“Just try it.” She hands the skirt back.

I tilt my head and look again. “Oh! I get it now!”

*~*~*~*

People crowd around the couch as we sit there. Max’s arm is around me and I lean forward, chatting with Tess. Smiles radiate on everyone’s faces.

“So tomorrow? The lake?” Maria asks.

I pull my head away from Tess’. “Huh? What’s going on?”

“LAKE TOMORROW! BE THERE OR BE A SQUARE!” Kyle yells at me. “Now are you two chicks done chatting or I do I still have to pretend like I’m not turned on and ready for some action?”

I hit him. “Shut up. You get her more than I do.”

He raises his eyebrows. “Oh, so you’re doing my girlfriend, too? That’s fucking hot. Can I watch?”

Tess and I both hit him. “Oooh” he moans loudly. “Come on. Let’s go.” I laugh as he grabs our arms and tries to pull us off the couch.

Max wraps his arms around me and holds me back. “Dude, mine. That one’s yours. Leave Liz.”

Kyle takes his hands off me and raises them innocently. “Sorry, forgot.” He winks at me, and mouths a proposition as Max turns and kisses my cheek.

Why does this suddenly seem right?

*~*~*~*

“Thanks for the ride, Max.” I speak softly, femininely as he walks me to my door after the party. The smell of smoke lingers around us, choking us softly. A wind blows around us gently, playing with the long straight strands of my hair.

He moves a piece behind my ear and smiles at me. The look on his face, so happy, so in love, makes me want to try.

I’m ready for this.

I smile and lean in closer to him, licking my lips softly.

“So…” I start, shy. “I had a great time tonight.”

He laughs, leaning in closer. “Even after Kyle….” he trails off, his hand still in my hair.

“Yea. Even.” Closer, closer. “Max?”

“Yea?”

“Are you going to kiss me?”

“Yea?”

“Ok.”

I close my eyes and wait for it. Suddenly, his lips are on me. On my chin. My eyes open quickly.

“That’s it?”

He looks mortified. “Did we honestly just miss?”

“I do believe. Let’s try it again.”

“Ok.”

We make it right that time.

Ah, such happy times.
<center>Image</center>
Lorastar
Addicted Roswellian

Re: How Flying Feels *M/L ADULT* Pt 7 Pg2 5.6.07

Post by Lorastar »

Haha, you awesome writer, always being pressured for more. Horrible, horrible. =)

Short...but sweet, to me.

Part 8

“Max” I laugh, my voice out of breath. “Where are we going?”

“Come on!” He yells back to me, running ahead into the bushes.

“Babe!”

“Did you just call me babe?” He pauses, a smile on his handsome face.

I blush. “Yea…”

He laughs, reaching for me and grabbing my hand. His hand is rough and calloused against my soft hand. “I didn’t know you were that type of girl, baby.”

Neither did I, neither did I.

We forge ahead.

*~*~*~*~*

“What is this?” I ask, staring at the cement and tower in the middle of the dust in front of us.

He rushes ahead again, his skateboard in hand. “The Wedge. A bunch of us skate here. Come on.”

I follow, ready to play supportive girlfriend. Not that I never watched him skate before. But somehow, it seems different now. And I think that’s good.

I don’t know the rules for this game anymore, but I’m willing to play.

He yells at me, mounts him skateboard and takes off down the cement riverbank, weaving around small rocks and trickles of water.

I stand by the edge and smile supportively.

Cause that’s what girlfriends do.

*~*~*~*

He hugs me close to him, the scent of his sweat drifting into my nose.

“Ewww! You’re all sweaty!”

He laughs. “It’s natural, baby. People sweat when they exert energy.” Max releases his hold on me. I stay in his arms, willingly, this time.

“It’s not awful. I kinda like the way you smell.”

He laughs again. “All that time I wore colognes and body sprays to impress you, and you like the smell of my sweat? Weird.” He pinches my side and I blush.

“Yea, I know, I am weird.” Big smile. “But…”

“But?”

I frown. “I was trying to think of some awesome comeback, but I’ve got nothing.”

“You’re cute.”

“Oh, I know it.”

*~*~*~*

His hand holds mine loosely, clenching randomly. I laugh lightly and squeeze his back. He looks at me warmly, smiles, and squeezes back. I reiterate, and he follows suit. We’re just sitting there on the concrete ledge holding hands. My legs dangle over the ledge and I kick them joyfully, the warm wind blowing gently against my bare legs, my skirt fluttering contently.

I rest my head on his shoulder and he lowers his own head down to rest on mine. The sun sinks lower into the sky, creating brilliant shades of pink and orange that blaze brightly.

And for not the first time, I can see myself falling in love with this boy.
<center>Image</center>
Lorastar
Addicted Roswellian

Re: How Flying Feels *M/L ADULT* Pt 8 Pg3 3.5.08

Post by Lorastar »

Ok, so here I am. A day late and a buck short. Not in the mood for the agony of the cage...so here...let us fly some more!

i'm kinda liking writing this happy stuff!

hope you all enjoy it!

love ya!

Part 9

“I can’t believe you’re not coming with me. That was the plan for forever!” Tess frowns, arm linked in mine as we stand by the edge of the lake, small waves splashing over our bare feet.

“I can’t believe it either.”

“If you found out tomorrow you got into Fullerton, would you go?”

I look straight at our friends, splashing and playing in the cool water. Max ducks under, then reappears, shaking water droplets from his head.

“I don’t know,” I shrug. I honestly don’t. If you had asked me a few weeks ago, the answer would have been a unambiguous hell yea, but now, I can’t help but have other thoughts. “It won’t happen, so why bother thinking about it?”

“Weirder things have been known to happen. Like you falling for Max Evans.”

I smile slightly, watching him splash and goof around, pushing Kyle under the water before disappearing himself. “Yea.”

“WHAT?!” She squeals. “You went and finally fell for him?” Her makeup less face erupts into a giant smile, her cheeks raising up to her eyes, with those little laugh lines sprouting in happiness.

“Shh.” I respond harshly. “I don’t think they heard you in Michigan.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Cause I just realized it myself.”

“You love him?”

At that moment, Max turns and smiles at me, face glowing from exertion and fun. He blows a kiss in my direction and my smile grows wider.

“Yea, I do.”

Tess’ squeals then make my ears ring for the rest of the day.

*~*~*

“So, what’s the plan?” Max asks, laying on his bed next to me as I flip through the pages of his car magazine.

“What plan?”

“Are you going with Tess?”

“Nah. Thought I’d hang out and see what happens with this.”

“This?”

“Yea, you know, you and me.”

“Why?” His voice sounds confused. I glance at him, his eyes are trained on my profile.

“I kinda like you.” I flip back to the magazine. “And I still didn’t get into school. No biggie. Always the next year.”

“Can’t say I’m not glad to know we have more time.”

“Yup. Speaking of that, I gotta admit something.”

“Shoot.”

“Iloveyou.” I blurt out, much like he did to me.

“Huh?”

“Oh, you know, I love you.” I grin at the surprised look on his face. “The three most jam packed little words next to holy fucking hell.”

“I thought you were going to be a harder nut to crack.”

Huh? I say I love you and I get that? What’s that even mean? I cock an eyebrow at him goofily.

“Huh?”

“The guys and I hate a bet on when you’d say it. I thought it would take longer. Can you take it back and tell me in a week?”

“How much did you bet?”

“Fifteen dollars.”

“Eh. Be a man, suck it up.”

“That’s two hours pay!”

“That’ll teach you to bet on us.”

“Shouldn’t I always bet on us and our love?” He rubs his shoulder against my arm, and I resist the urge to pat his head like a kitty cat’s.

“Yea, but not like that.” I flip another page and cock my head at the half naked girl on the hood of a rice mobile. “Are you supposed to look at the car or the chic?”

“Both.”

“I can’t see much of the car.”

“It’s blue and Asian.”

“I got that much. Thank you, Captain Obvious.”

“At your service, smart ass.”

“Yes, yes it is.”

“Are we having the same conversation again?”

“Yes, I think we are.”

“Moving on….”

And then he kisses me and the magazine and skimpily clad girls on fast cars are all forgotten.

Have I mentioned that this kid can kiss?

Cause he really really can.

<3
<center>Image</center>