Who are todays best vampire authors?

Trade your favorite books and authors here!

Moderators: singerchic4, Forum Moderators

Galliard
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Galliard »

Has anyone mentioned Charlaine Harris? Her Southern Vampire Mysteries are a hoot. Also Kim Harrison features some compelling vampires in her excellent Rachel Morgan novels.

On the subject of author's attitudes toward fanfic - Kelley Armstrong (who writes the Women of the Underworld series - highly recommended btw) actually allows you to post fanfic on kelleyarmstrong.com. She knows how to use the web to draw in new readers.
Anniepoo98
Forum Moderator

Post by Anniepoo98 »

No kidding Galliard. I just love that site. Not only does she approve of fanfiction based on her series, but she posts free online short stories and novellas, and she also runs a writing workshop group... which is really, really nice BTW. If you have some free time, defintally go and check it out!

Annie:)
Zanssoulmate08
Addicted Roswellian
Location: In my happy place, entertaining myself with shiny objects.

Post by Zanssoulmate08 »

Hmm... Well, Katie McAllister's "A Girl's Guide to Vampires" and "Sex and the Single Vampire" are really good. And of course, Laurall K. Hamilton. I like Angela Knight too. Have you guys read any of their stuff?

-Sarah

Once upon a time in a faraway kingdom,
Man made up a story, said that I should believe him.
Go and tell your white knight that he’s handsome in hindsight,
But I don’t want the next best thing.
So I sing, I hold my head down, and I break these walls ’round me.
Can’t take no more of your fairytale love.
Fehr'sBear
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Fehr'sBear »

I just read Dark Lover by J.R. Ward and it was a really good book. Gotta love all that vampire love. :D btw, Iwantmore, the next one is about rhage. Can't wait!!! And I can't wait for her next installment to come out some time in...March? possibly.

As for Charlaine Harris, her books are great. They are well written, and funny. I've read every one of her Southern Vampire series.

Then there's Amelia Atwater Rhodes. I am in love with her books. Seriously, I've read Demon in My View, Shattered Mirror, and ooh, jeez, forgot the name, but the one with Jaguar in it at least five or so times each. More times for Shattered Mirror, because it's my favorite.

Oh, and there's a relatively new book out, sort of young adult, that I haven't got around to reading yet, called Twilight, by Stephanie Meyer. Has anyone read it?
frore-g
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by frore-g »

I've read most of the authors listed so far but I haven't seen one of my favorite vampire books. Try "Sunshine" by Robin McKinley. She doesn't usually do vampires but she's a fantastic writer and put some really great new otherworldly concepts into this book.
CandyDreamQueen
Addicted Roswellian

Post by CandyDreamQueen »

Fehr'sBear wrote:I just read Dark Lover by J.R. Ward and it was a really good book. Gotta love all that vampire love. :D btw, Iwantmore, the next one is about rhage. Can't wait!!! And I can't wait for her next installment to come out some time in...March? possibly.
Oh I’ve read Dark Lover! I didn’t even realize it. When it was mentioned I went to look it up and saw that the cover was the cover of a book that I brought on a whim a couple of months ago. I have to say it did remind me a lot of the Dark Hunter series. Even some of the characters remind me of some of the Dark Hunters. It was really good and it’s good to know that another one is coming out.
Bordersinsanity
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Bordersinsanity »

I've just been introduced to a new Vampire Author... well, authors, it's a husband and wife team, Barb & J.C. Hendee...

http://www.nobledead.com/

The series is very well written and it's filled with a lot of unanswered questions that don't start to get answered until the 3rd book in the series.

I recommend reading it. It's very entertaining.
Jen
<center>Image
Archives | Rules | Plagiarism | Fundraising</center>
Zanssoulmate08
Addicted Roswellian
Location: In my happy place, entertaining myself with shiny objects.

Re: True

Post by Zanssoulmate08 »

Waking The Dream wrote:Mel is right. If you check on Laurell K. Hamilton's website she states that she doesn't want her stuff being copied in a fan fic and such.
That's wierd, I've actually read some fan fics based on Anita Blake. Has NE1 read Beyond the Pale? I can't remember who wrote it.

-Sarah

Once upon a time in a faraway kingdom,
Man made up a story, said that I should believe him.
Go and tell your white knight that he’s handsome in hindsight,
But I don’t want the next best thing.
So I sing, I hold my head down, and I break these walls ’round me.
Can’t take no more of your fairytale love.
marycatherine
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by marycatherine »

oh i have to say stephine meyer with twilight and her new book coming out new moon the sequel to twilight the way she describes it its like she was one herself.
your destiny is with tess
my destiny is with you
Ellie
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Ellie »

Ohh, good subject! I love Susan Sizemore, Angela Knight(interesting take on the vampire thing) and her anthology stuff from Red Sage publishing is good, Sherilyn Kenyon and Christine Warren are both great. MJ Davidson is very funny and as for Katie MacAlister I prefer her Aisling Grey series to her vampire stuff, wyverns and such that you don't get to see every day.

Sadly never could get into Christine Feehan much, or Anne Rice. LK Hamilton's books were good before she got divorced, then she scapegoated Richard since she'd based him on her ex. Her writing really suffered from that and her need to give Anita new powers in nearly every book that she never uses again... and things got way too graphic with the sex and violence. And coming from me that's saying something.:wink:

-Ellie

Check out my Supernatural ficlet it's finally done!:oops: