Who are todays best vampire authors?

Trade your favorite books and authors here!

Moderators: singerchic4, Forum Moderators

behrlvr
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by behrlvr »

Dark Lover by J.R. Ward ...thank you for recommending it...I can't wait to read the others in the series. I am addicted to Laura K. Hamilton but have read and reread them and was looking for another page turner. I should buy stock in Amazon.
life is what you make it, always has been, always will be...grandma moses
KiaraAlexisKlay
Addicted Roswellian

Post by KiaraAlexisKlay »

Anne Rice got me hooked on vampire stories, so I'll always list her first and foremost on any vampire author list. :D Though out of them all, I liked Interview with a Vampire and The Vampire Lestat the best.

Laurell K. Hamilton is always my second choice, though I too, have gotten tired of her sex with no main plot stories rampant within the last few of her books. Her newest ABvH novel, The Harlequin is a return to the style of the early books, more mystery with just a dash of sex. Also, it returns one of my fave supporting characters, Edward the Assassin called Death. I would so love to read a standalone story on just him!

Charlaine Harris and her Southern Vampire Series featuring telepathic bar waitress Sookie Stackhouse are amazing. The writing is so real and so are the characters, and she adds a twist on the whole vampire mythos so you know this isn't some cheesy rip-off. I highly recomend this series (and the hunky Quinn and Eric) yum!

Robin McKinley's only vampire novel so far, Sunshine is truly amazing. I read it at bootcamp and I was hooked. It is such a totally different look at the vamp mythos, and her vamps are scary yet at the same time in a believable way. They truly are the monsters and not the romanticized predators they are in most fiction.

Sherrilyn Kenyon is also a good author, though I've only read one of her Dark Hunter series and it was one in the middle at that! (oops on my part). It was a good read, and absolutely hilarious as her heroine wasn't afraid to stand up for herself or her desires (the fact that her vampire interest could shapeshift into a cat and that she was allergic to felines and, incidentally, his hair was so funny) despite the fact that she could easily be pounded into the ground. And Ms. Kenyon isn't ashamed to make her characters hurt, or die, which puts a realism on it that is shocking but refreshing.

And I'm surprised that none of you have listed him yet, but Bram Stoker's Dracula was the novel that started the modern vampire literature of the century. There's nothing like the classics.

banner made by RoswellOracle!
Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Who are todays best vampire authors?

Post by Janetfl »

My favourite is Elizabeth Hunter the Elemental Series. I don't normally read supernatural books but this one for some unknown reason captured my attention. I read the first book on Kindle then bought the rest of the series in the same night. In fact it was this series that got me to read others.
Thank you to the wonderful, artistic RoswellOracle for this awesome siggie!