Romance Novels, Any One Else Have This Guilty Pleasure?

Trade your favorite books and authors here!

Moderators: singerchic4, Forum Moderators

Evelynn
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Evelynn »

killjoy wrote:I tell you what cracks me up....or ticks me I don't know which yet.Now I know romance books are supposed to be fantasies for you ladies.But I hate when the story is about some multi-millionaire CEO or my personal favorite some foreign sheik :roll: .

But... I love those :lol: :roll: .

Evelynn
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

:lol: ooops sorry :lol:
RosDeidre
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RosDeidre »

Well, I adore romance. It's not even a guilty pleasure for me. :)

Loved seeing the list of romance-writing guys because there are quite a few. As for writers I obsess over, although I adore paranormal (and write paranormal romance now-started in fanfic), I would say it's historicals that really fire me up.

Lisa Kleypas
Julia Quinn
Judith Ivory
Jennifer St. Giles
Shelley Bradley

Just to name a few. :) In paranormals, the list is just TOO long to try and tackle. lol. But a few (and I'm leaving out a bunch)

Gena Showalter
Karen Moning
Susan Grant
Catherine Spangler
Susan Carroll

The list goes on and on...
Hugs! Deidre
Zendorox
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Zendorox »

Susan Grant & Catherine Spangler ... Lordy yes!! If their names are on it, I'll buy it. Add to that list, C. J. Barry too. And your own Deidre, I'm waiting patiently for book 2 :)

I know Sci-fi / Futuristic gets lumped into the "paranormal" genre, but in my own brain, the two aren't the same. If it's aliens, other worlds or planets, to me that's Scifi. If it's creatures that go bump in the night, that's paranormal. It makes weeding out what I'm looking for somewhat tedious on Amazon at times ... LOL.
The Lurkers Creed:
'Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool ...
... Than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
FaithfulAngel24
Roswell Fanatic
Location: Alabama for now, but someday I'll be on a beach in Morocco

Post by FaithfulAngel24 »

I used to be the chick who teased her friends about reading romance novels but every sense I got my job working as a security guard I have nothing but time and started to read my Gran's 1970's Harlequin romance novels. I love the dialogue that is so not like our own as well as situations that were then considered scandelous are now just considered the norm. :wink:
Love is not finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly. Looking for a little magic? Practical Enchantment
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

Like I said I'm an avid reader and I'll read the back of soup cans if I don't have a new book to read at the time.So as I also said I've read my very large share of romance books.But truth be told I like the ones that have a good story to go with the romance.

A good kick butt shoot' em out western.

Or a good 'who done it?' murder mystery.

That sort of thing.
Gaby7tvm
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Gaby7tvm »

Things that you can find in Mcnaught's novels

1) Conflicts, misundertandings obviously
2) She has red hair
3) He has gray eyes
4) He is very tall
5) Her wedding dress is pale blue

Am I correct...Did I forget something?

Favorite novels: Something wonderful and Paradise hihihihi
Gaby7tvm
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Gaby7tvm »

Can someone recommend me gay male erotic romance book?
I've had only read golden boy and golden man by claire thompson, and it left me wanting for me

PS. If claire thompson is reading this, please write more, about gay couples
Evelynn
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Evelynn »

FaithfulAngel24 wrote:I used to be the chick who teased her friends about reading romance novels but every sense I got my job working as a security guard I have nothing but time and started to read my Gran's 1970's Harlequin romance novels. I love the dialogue that is so not like our own as well as situations that were then considered scandelous are now just considered the norm. :wink:
I know what you mean... I have an affinity for 1980s Harlequin Presents. There's just something about them. The words just feel kind of good reading them. As though there was a time when chivalry was the norm.
sunrise102
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by sunrise102 »

I think it's safe to say that with all the author and book recommendations found on this thread I'll be happily entertained for the next few years at least! LOL.

I began reading romance at 18, my freshman year at college actualy. And it was Ros fanfic that turned me to romance. I have found so many good reads that I enjoy. I enjoy many of the ones that have already been mentioned, but there are many I've never heard of so I'll need to expand my horizons.

I've liked historical romances, but havent' really ventured beyond the Regency (or is it Victorian??) by Stephanie Laurens, Lisa Kleypas, etc. write. I'd like to look into medieval, highland, civil war era books. I'll look back at the numerous examples listed, but if anyone has some favorite recommendations for beginners please send them my way. I'm a beginner you know. I'm also willing to try some sci-fi/supernatural romance as well. Preferably ala Roswell. :D

Some of my favorites include ones already previously mentioned, but worth mentioning again.

Anything by Nora Roberts is a must read. I think I've read almost everything she's done. I love the trilogies that she does because like someone else mentioned, I have a hard time letting go of characters. She can do some angst pretty good and it's sometimes hit or miss with me. The Bayou for example, hard for me to get through. But the third of the Three Sisters trilogy was also angsty and yet I find myself re-reading that one. I'm such a masochist. :roll:

I also love her In Death series written under her J.D. Robb name. Those havent' been mentioned before on this thread I don't think, but I just love them! I'm hopelessly addicted. They might not be for everybody. They're darker than her regular books. They're suspense/mystery romance. They're also futuristic, taking place in the mid 21st century. The female lead is Lt. Eve Dallas with the NYC police. She's in the homicide unit so there is a lot of grissly death (hence the titles) and violence plots. She also deals with personal baggage, she was raped as a child and grew up in foster homes. I like the way it's dealt with because it's realistic. It's not Eve wakes up one morning and gets over what happened to her, she copes with it every day and has nightmares she goes through. The male lead is Roarke. HOTNESS. lol. Seriously. You know the author has major talent when people start to fantasize about made-up characters. :oops: He's a major business tycoon with mountains of money ( :roll: I know, I read Killjoy's post lol), but hey it's fiction! We can fantasize. And Eve is no one's idea of a damsel in distress/Cinderella. And like she says "I managed pretty well on my own before you came along" or words to that effect.

Other favorite authors include Susan Elizabeth Phillips. She can also be angsty sometimes, but in a good way. Like a heart squeeze. And I just love the humor she infuses into her stories. I laugh and cry with every book.

Lisa Kleypas' Wallflower series is pretty good too. Steamy. Stephanie Laurens' Bar Cynster series are also good. Jennifer Cruise I love too. I've found a couple of Christina Dodd books I enjoyed, but sometimes she's hit or miss. Lori Foster has been previously mentioned. She's good too.

Catherine Anderson I've grown to love too. There's a little bit of western/cowboy theme is some of her stories (it's hard to explain, it's not too overt in some books). She sets many of her books in Oregon country so there are horses and ranching. But the romance of her stories is what is different about them. They're not your typical stories and none like I've read before. Some of the protagonists have some disability that you don't find in many of romances. Phantom Waltz, a personal fave, has Bethany as the lead and she's in a wheel chair. Many would think, how can there be romance in that? But there is, not just lust, but love. The only bad thing I can say about these books is that it's usually the female with a disability, and it's not in all of her books, so you can argue that it's a Cinderella with her Prince Charming coming to her rescue type of theme, but honestly, they're worth reading.

I've also enjoyed Jayne Ann Krentz's stories. As well as Carly Phillips.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Not much, lol. But now I'm going back through the pages to add to my to-read list. :D Happy reading!
A clever person turns great troubles into little ones and little ones into none at all.

~Chinese Proverb