Potter or Lord Of the Rings?

Trade your favorite books and authors here!

Moderators: singerchic4, Forum Moderators

Harry Potter Or Lord Of The Rings?

Lord Of The Rings
26%
Harry Potter
46%
Both
27%
None
1%

Total votes: 92

Tear of Shadows
Enthusiastic Roswellian
Location: Like I'm going to tell you, so you can tell those out to get me...

Post by Tear of Shadows »

I understand what you're saying, Chipsflickan. I'm 18, and I just read so many classic, more challenging books that a kid's book like Harry Potter comes as a relief, really.
Lorastar
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lorastar »

I agree. Harry Potter was a relief, especially after reading books like Frankenstein and other school books that are layer after layer of meaning. Of course, with that attitude, I'm sure I've missed very important parts of the stories. I haven't read the LotR books yet, but I greatly enjoyed Potter, and the other books are on my to-do list for spring break.
<center>Image</center>
4 EVER ROSWELL
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by 4 EVER ROSWELL »

I can see what you mean about the Potter series. Being to easy to read and all, but i guess for me I just love reading it. Yeah i know i said both in the beginning but i reread LOTR and i just couldn't do it. I mean i commend Tolken for creating this wonderful world and all, but the book, well its just to much detail! i just got bored out of my mind reading all the details. HP all the way :!: lol.
4Ever
destinysucks
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by destinysucks »

I can see everybody's point with Harry Potter being very easy to read but I think that is one of the great things about the Potter series although their very easy to read theres alot of plot within them take the newest book for instance, that I thought was very hard going for the age group it's aimed at it was very long and laced with alot of difficult plot plus the one thing that was hyped up ( The death of a character) kind of came to a bit of an anti-climax.

Lord of the rings I think has been spoiled by the movies because as great as they are all they do is offer an easy way out from reading the books which is a terrible thing the potter movies do much the same.

I would love to hear others opinions onwhether the movies of each series did the books justice.
Roswell428
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Roswell428 »

I like both Hp and LotR books equally well.

But I have to disagree on the point about HP being easy reading. Being an adult myself, and an adult who has avidly read for my entire life, I don't class the HP books as 'easy' or 'children's' books. They do have some very complicated themes and ideas running through them- such as the racial prejudices between wizards (purebloods and 'mudbloods') representing the kind of prejudices that run through peoples of different races and backgrounds in our world today. And there are other such complex and varied themes to be found in the books. If you are speaking about 'easiness' in terms of language, and that the language in the HP books is more 'simplistic' than in some more 'classic' novels, than you are right. The language is 'simpler' because this book is meant for all ages to be able to enjoy. Perhaps the reason that some class them as 'easy' or 'light' reading is that they are not looking deep enough. With the obvious exception of meant for children books such as "See Spot Run" or "Give a Mouse a Cookie", I think that any book can be as reasonably hard or easy as the reader wishes it to be, or as the reader wishes to delve into it. To me, there is no difference in the 'hardness' level between reading Hp or The Illiad- each has its own merits and virtues to every reader. The only 'easiness' or 'hardness' about any book is how much the reader puts into it and thinks about it. Therefore, no book is either 'easy' or 'hard' to read, including the HP series.

Sorry about the soapbox- I got carried away.
Love is forever. Destiny is not. Create your own destiny.

Candygirl, Stargazer, and Dreamer forever!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out my fic:

Switching Lives
Spaceboy23
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Spaceboy23 »

For me the LOTR trilogy without question!
MICHAEL: No lecturing, no moralizing, no whining about spending money on the homeless. This weekend it's about fun and debauchery. You got it?
Earth2Mama
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: On Moya, keeping an eye on Aeryn because Crichton is MINE!

Post by Earth2Mama »

I love both! It took me 3 months to read all of the HP books. It took me 5 months to read LOTR books.
Winner - Best Feedbacker Award Round 6
Winner – Funniest Feedbacker & Most Helpful Fanatic Award Round 14
Winner - Most Thought-Provoking Feedbacker Award Round 15

made by April :D

4-ever a lamptrimming, stargazing, candy-hearted dreamer!

Tumblr- elliesinwonderland | YouTube - Earth2Mother
Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Applebylicious »

I gotta say I enjoy Lord of the Rings more. I don't know why... I just like the world Tolkien created better. It's fantastic and amazing... and it's just so realistic and well-thought out that it leaves you believing Middle Earth could have really existed. :)

Don't get me wrong, I love HP, too. But for me, it's LOTR that comes out on top.

hugs, Linds
Innocent Eyes
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Innocent Eyes »

There was a time I couldn't stand Harry Potter. I thought it was boring and childish. I have always been much more of a "LOTR girl" ever since I saw the first movie. After that I read the trilogy in weeks. When my friends were talking about how cool HP was, I was like "get a life!!" This until I started reading the books in english and I got completely hooked!! So now I'd say I cannot live without both. :D Although LOTR is a much more complete story. You actually believe that that world existed before. It's something never done before, unless HP. But both books are great. :P

THANK YOU ROSWELL
Innocent Eyes
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Innocent Eyes »

There was a time I couldn't stand Harry Potter. I thought it was boring and childish. I have always been much more of a "LOTR girl" ever since I saw the first movie. After that I read the trilogy in weeks. Whenever my friends talked about how cool HP was, I was like "get a life!!" This until I started reading the books in english and I got completely hooked!! So now I'd say I cannot live without both. :D Although LOTR is a much more complete story. You actually believe that that world existed before. It's something never done before, unlike HP. But both books are great. :P

THANK YOU ROSWELL