Alien book recommendations?

Trade your favorite books and authors here!

Moderators: singerchic4, Forum Moderators

Misha
Addicted Roswellian

Alien book recommendations?

Post by Misha »

Hey there! I've been looking for alien books, quite like Roswell: a stranded alien on Earth, better if the government is after him/her. Or them...

I haven't been lucky, and with the surge of Vampire books all around, it's hard to see anything else... not that I don't enjoy a good vamp/supernatural book, but I would like to change for a little while :lol:

Thanks!

Misha
"There's addiction, and there's Roswell!"
Abandon Structure
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Alien book recommendations?

Post by Abandon Structure »

There's always 'I Am Number Four' but I've read the first hundred pages or so and remain unimpressed, so I'm not sure if it's really worth the time (or money).

Good recommendation: The Host by Stephanie Meyer. Forget Twilight - this is a great book. And it's about aliens.

A good mini-series is 'Taken' by Steven Spielberg. It's really awesome and it does have aliens on the run but mostly it's a well woven tale that's four generations in the making.

Try this link: http://www.roswellfanatics.net/viewtopi ... 31&t=13157 It might have something you're looking for.
When Eve ate the apple, her knowledge increased, but God liked dumb women, so paradise ceased.
~Faking It by Jennifer Cruisie
Misha
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Misha »

:lol: A bit late there! I have already read I am Number Four, which as you said, left me unimpressed. I'm hoping against hope the movie will improve, but... yeah...

I did watch -and read- Taken as well. I'm looking for something like that!

I'm not that sure about The Host. Twilight aside, if I remember correctly, in this universe the aliens have already taken over the Earth, so this is more like humans running away from aliens. Not a bad choice, but not what I'm looking for either ::sighs::

And I did order and read The Silver Spoon -the book that's on the link you gave me- so that one too is out of the list... Man, one wouldn't believe how hard is to get a good alien story!

At this point I would also like any supernatural tales where they are running from the government or whatever.

Thank you all the same!!
Sundae
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Sundae »

I don't know about supernatural, aliens or government in combination...but! I can suggest other ones that if you read side by side can conquer your all your cravings.

*The Bourne Trilogy - Robert Ludelem - he has a ghost writer now that continues the Bourne series, but I don't really recommend him if you want the same level of espionage as Ludlum achieved.

Its running from conspiracy, government in a way. Trained assassin that can't remember who he is...I'm sure you've seen the movies. Doesn't have supernatural - but does have assassin skills.

*1984 - George Orwell

Classic and you may have already read this...but communistic country, dictatorship, big brother is watching you - and a man trying to fight the control.

*Diary of Ann Frank

Again...not really running from the government but running from the Nazi's and trying to survive.
Misha
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Misha »

OOooohhh I love the Bourne Trilogy! Well, maybe not the third one, really... :roll: And you're right, I went through books 4, and 5 and I just couldn't take it anymore... that writer is awful!

I really want something on the fantasy/sci-fi side though.

Thank you for all the suggestions!! They are very appreciated!
Stefuh
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Stefuh »

I've found some sci-fi books but... the thing is I haven't read them. But I think they look great but don't take this as a recommendation. :P

Across the Universe - Beth Ravis.
Amy is a cryogenically frozen passenger aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed. She expects to wake up on a new planet, 300 years in the future. But fifty years before Godspeed's scheduled landing, Amy's cryo chamber is unplugged, and she is nearly killed. Now, Amy is caught inside an enclosed world where nothing makes sense. Godspeed's passengers have forfeited all control to Eldest, a tyrannical and frightening leader, and Elder, his rebellious and brilliant teenage heir. Amy desperately wants to trust Elder. But should she? All she knows is that she must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets before whoever woke her tries to kill again.

Scarabeus series - Sara Creasy.
The best cypherteck in the galaxy, Edie can reinvent planets with little more than a thought. Trained since childhood in advanced biocyph seed technology by the all-powerful Crib empire, her mission is to terraform alien worlds while her masters bleed the outlawed Fringe populations dry. When renegade mercenaries kidnap Edie, she's not entirely sure it's a bad thing... until they leash her to a bodyguard, Finn - a former freedom fighter-turned-slave, beaten down but never broken. If Edie strays from Finn's side, he dies. If she doesn't cooperate, the pirates will kill them both. But Edie's abilities far surpass anything her enemies imagine. And now, with Finn her only ally as the merciless Crib closes in, she'll have to prove it or die on the site of her only failure... a world called Scarabaeus.

Invasion, a Chaos novel - Jon S. Lewis.
After a car wreck takes the lives of his parents, Colt moves to Arizona to stay with his grandfather. There, an informant tells him that his parents were actually murdered because his mom, a journalist, was getting ready to write a story exposing Trident Industries. Along with Oz and Danielle, his new comrades at Chandler High, Colt vows to uncover the truth. But the more they learn, the more bizarre reality becomes. Mind control, jet packs, and flying motorcycles only scratch the surface of what they discover. Colt is recruited by a secret organization called the Central Headquarters Against the Occult and Supernatural. But the battle isn't just against an out-of-control giant corporation. A gateway to another world is opening, and the invasion has already begun.

The Believe Trilogy - Jessica Barksdale Inclan. This one is more romance than sci-fi.
Chased by thugs, San Francisco poet Miranda Stead plunges through a door to what she thinks is safety. Instead, she finds herself surrounded by a bunch of paranoid, robe-wearing people who can read her thoughts. And then he steps up: tall, dark, amber-eyed, gorgeous Sariel Valasay - lured by her mind probably, and its deliciously wrong ideas.Sariel knows no ordinary human should have been able to break through to their world, but here she is, all lush curves, red hair, and snappy comebacks. As a member of the ancient Les Croyant des Trois, Sariel is sworn to protect her kind from the dark forces always at work. He never thought he'd have to protect her from his own desires. A simple touch would erase all memories of the evening from Miranda's mind. Tomorrow, he'll make her forget. Tonight, he only wants to make her believe.

The Rho Agenda series - Richard Phillips.
Top-Secret Los Alamos, New Mexico. In 1945 its scientists unlocked the secrets of the atomic bomb. Now the quiet scientific community spawned by the Manhattan Project comes face to face with a technological breakthrough for which the world is completely unprepared. As a special team of operatives struggles to stop the project codenamed Rho while containment is still possible, what it means to be human is about to change -- forever.
Last edited by Stefuh on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stefuh
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Stefuh »

double post...
cjsl8ne
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by cjsl8ne »

Have you heard of the TV show 'Ocean Girl'? It was Australias version of Roswell. It had four seasons in the early 1990s. It was directed by Jonathon M Shiff and is put out there by Umbrella aussie DVD. If you can find a region 0 version it should play on your computer altho not your regular DVD player. It was obviously aimed at the younger crowd and is a little cheesy sometimes but it was always good enough I wanted to see the next episode. You'll laugh(or cry) at the strange hairdos of the future they envisioned! LOL! I know that this is not a book but it really is another pleasant version of Roswell and we can never seem to get enough of that.
Another option is the Austalian TV show 'H2O Just Add Water'. It is about mermaids but the keep the secret theme is just like Roswell and is eerily similar at times to our favorite show. You can get the first two seasons at Amazon.com Video on Demand very cheaply. The third season is, so far, available on YouTube.com. I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong spot but it seems to fit the theme nicely. In the past year I have really enjoyed exploring Australias Sci Fi shows. It's amazing how many they have that I had never heard of anyway. Hopefully this will give you some new options.