Sherrilyn Kenyon - Dark Hunter's Series

Trade your favorite books and authors here!

Moderators: singerchic4, Forum Moderators

Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Sherrilyn Kenyon - Dark Hunter's Series

Post by Applebylicious »

Hey guys! Recently I discovered an awesome series of books that I would like to share with you all! If you like Vamp/paranormal romances, then you'll love this! Sherrilyn Kenyon writes about the gods, vampires, and sexy gorgeous vampire hunters that will make you drool all over yourself - trust me! The first is called Fantasy Lover, and it is not about the Dark Hunters, but is sort of like a prequel. The main character is Julian, and he is an ancient greek general who was enslaved to a book by his jealous brother, who is a god. He is basically a sex-slave for women, an doesn't see anyway to end his curse. This book was really good and set the stage for the next book, which introduces the first of the Dark Hunters that you'll meet, Kyrian, in Night PLeasures. And let me tell you this... his descriptions as "yummy leather guy" hardly does this hunk justice!!! Kyrian is one of the legendary Dark Hunters who serve the goddess Artemis and they're job is to kill the Daimons (think Vampires who suck your soul!!) The Hunters/Huntresses are vampires themselves, but don't feed on humans. The only way to get out of their immortality is to find a pure heart who loves them, but since all the Hunters and Huntresses were betrayed by someone they loved in their human lives, it's hard for them to trust, not to mention most humans would freak before ever loving a vamp!! Without giving to much away, let me just say that this was one of the most interesting series I ever stumbled across and you all should definately check it out!
Here's Sherrilyn Kenyon's website, which gives you some more in depth info about the DH, as well as their friends the Dream Hunters and Were-Hunters. This site is filled with fun stuff and yummy pics of all the HUnters! Give it a try!! :D

http://www.kinleymacgregor.com/hunter/

Lindsay
Last edited by Applebylicious on Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
JadaLyn
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Read them and loved them...

Post by JadaLyn »

I love her books, especially the way she blends different forms of mythology together. She is also an author that actually encourages fanfiction I understand (so another plus in her favor)! She's got a new one coming out this month and I can't wait to see what she does this time,

Linsey
“Education, I fear, is learning to see one thing by going blind to another.” ~A. Leopold

Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Applebylicious »

Okay, I just got her new book, Night Embrace in the mail! EEEk... I'm so excited!!! It's about Talon, Kyrian's friend, and he seemed so sexy in Night Pleasures! He's an ancient Celt warrior who was betrayed by his clan and murdered along with his sister. Mm... I love me some ancient Scots!!! Me thinks his story is going to be veeery sexy, considering Ms. Kenyon's main descriptions of him in her last book involved him naked and flirting with the heroine, LOL!!!! I can't wait to read it and let you all know what I think! Also, this author writes under the penname Kinley Macgregor as well and there are several great stories there as well! My favorite is Born in Sin!! COme on guys!!! I know other people read this stuff, LOL!!! What do y'all think?

Lindsay
JadaLyn
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by JadaLyn »

Got it, read it, loved it! What was your take on the end when Artemis bit Ash?

Linsey
“Education, I fear, is learning to see one thing by going blind to another.” ~A. Leopold

Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Applebylicious »

I'm wondering what that was about too!! I'm taking it that she has fangs and all, but I'm not really understanding why! I mean, I know that Zarek was talking about how great it was tyo feed on a human because you could feel their emotion, and then Talon and Sunshine did it during sex and it was supposedly really good. But that doesn't tell me why Artemis would do it to Ash? I never thought that her "punishment" for Ash when he wanted to have a Dark Hunter's soul was that she would have sex with him, LOL! What do you think the story with them is?
JadaLyn
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by JadaLyn »

Applebylicious~

Well she asked specifically for total submission (after making a crack about him having a headache for the last 200 hundred years...so I'm thinking she wasn't getting much :wink: ), which might have meant also biting him. The think that got me was how weak he was afterward. Like she actually drained some of his power from him. We learned in this book that he is as powerful as a god, if not more powerful, but it left several avenues wide open. I guess the fact that he was weakened (when Sunshine and the woman with Zarek were not) got me thinking about energy transfers. Mhorrigan (sp?) transferred her protection to Talon through Sunshine's blood, and the daimons suck the soul from the bodies of their victims. Maybe by biting Ash, Artemis syphons off a bit of his power, uses it to remain a top god. It's the only thing that I figure out to explain why she hasn't lost her Godhood status like Bacchus/Dionysus did. Yes she is "worshipped" (and I use that term loosely) by the darkhunters, but does she have a following among the souled/human population? If she does, it is certainly not to the extent of Aphrodite or Zeus...and Eros has his own holiday, guaranteeing his powers. I mean, the teeth didn't bother me given that she is the goddess of the hunt, just the aftereffects.

I have read the little story that introduced Ash and the other one with Gallager where Simi gives a bit more insight to her Akri (and the fact that she wants to BBQ the bitch goddess)! If I remember correctly it sounds like Ash was given to Artemis in some form, but I'm sure we will learn more in the books to follow. If only she would write faster...

Sigh...

Linsey

Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Applebylicious »

Jadalyn~

Yes, I've read that Ash story as well! I wish she would go ahead and tell his story because I'm dying to find out what his whole "relationship" with Artie is and exactly what went down. But I can understand her waiting and wanting to keep it a secret for awhile. After I read the NE, I got to thinking about that scene with Ash flipping out and trying to summon Apollymi. At first I thought that maybe he was really her son, since it was implied by Sherrilyn on her website that despite the legends, the Destroyer could only be brought back by her long-lost son. Then after reading that Ash was implanted by some unknown means into Styxx's mother's womb, I thought that maybe he was reborn for that particular purpose, which was why the wise woman told his parent's that he would be powerful as the God's etc. WHat did you gather from Mnimi telling Styxx that HE was the one to betray Acheron, instead of the other way around? I was wondering about the whole deal with the "pleasure drug" that made him so upset as well. It's obvious that Ash was addicted to it during his previous life, but I have the feeling that there's more to the story than Styxx was saying. Hmm... now we have to wait until December for Zarek's story! :x

Lindsay
JadaLyn
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by JadaLyn »

I just finally read the legend you were refering to and it would make sense that Ash could be Apollymi's son for several reasons that we know so far: he possesses eyes similar to a lot of God's eyes on her site, he did start to open the portal to Apollymi, she hid her son when he was a fetus and the best way to keep the humans from killing him would be to attach him to an important child of their own, we learned that his skills/powers/etc are just as strong as Artemis's. I think that Ash's purpose might be to choose, decide if the races on this planet are worth saving or not. He has a soft spot for humans, which we know probably wasn't fostered by his brother or his parents who rejected him, but perhaps by the little sister that died. I just keep remember him laying on the couch asleep with Amanda and Kyrian's baby. I would assume that this is the same baby sister that died while he was under the influences of the pleasure drug and this may even lead us to the betrayal Ash always references when he thinks about Artie. What if he want to her to get his little sister back and she refused? I don't think that he would have used the pleasure drug at all if his little sister was in his care, but I think it was entirely possible that someone could have "help" him become addicted. And it might have been Styxx or his father (although I would go with Styxx in some way because of what Mnimi said). Your right, hopefully we will get more from Zarek's story...which sounds very interesting from the little snippet I read. He's trying to get to his weapons and get away from two squires...sounds like a bloodhunt (I think that's what they are called) to me, which means Artemis may have gone ahead and ordered his execution. Oh to be that woman's editor so that I could know the answers already...especially when she says she has several stories completed or in some stage of completion.

Argh! I want answers now! (My inner five year old does not believe in patience),

Linsey

Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Applebylicious »

I agree with you, it's evil to make us wait this long, LOL! After Zarek, I don't think there's another complete novel until Wulf, which isn't scheduled until May '04. NOT FAIR!!! Argh! Anyway, I just got an email from one of the ladies of Sanctuary that went through one of the Dh egroups I'm a member of, and it was talking about Ash's book. Or actually, the girl he's going to hook up with. At first, I was surprised, because I was sure that somehow he and Artie would stay together or something, but apparently there's some other girl which makes me glad because Artemis is such a bitch! Grr!! How could she send Val to New Orleans when Julian and Kyrian are there? Kyrian is my baby, dammit, and she did it on purpose! :mad: LOL, I get riled up about this series! I have to wonder if Ash's story will be last, however, because what are the Hunter's going to do if he gets his soul back and "retires"? It'll be interesting, no doubt, since we know how possessive Artemis is over him. Jeez.... I can't wait much longer for the new books! I guess V'Aiden's story comes out in Novemer, is it? That should be fun, even if it is a short story and he's a Dream Hunter. I can't wait to see hear more about them. Oh well, I've rambled enough!

Lindsay
JadaLyn
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by JadaLyn »

Lindsay,

Does Artie even have Ash's soul? I remember him saying that that she didn't own him (or had no hold on him...something like that), but I could be wrong. I definitely want to know his story though and it really is too damn long between books especially when we know she writes so fast! You belong to a DH group? How did you do this?? I love those books and besides Linda Howard, Sherrilyn is probably the author I most actively seek out.

I sure am glad to hear that Artie doesn't get to keep Ash because she really doesn't deserve him. I think she deliberately set out to cause problems with the people she made dark hunters. Look at the twisted little tree we have been shown thus far. Val is the grandson of the guy who did in the most lovable Kyrian and brother to Zarek. Plus he is just a total ass about being a Roman. He even gave Talon a hard time and Talon didn't do anything to him. Given his confrontational attitude it will be interesting to see what she does with him in further books, but I think that Artie went about trying to make Ash's job as hard as she could for him. She wants him to come running back, ask for favors, and he's not (unless he really has to and even then it is a favor for another).

She needs to write faster... She really does,

Linsey