Chicklit

Trade your favorite books and authors here!

Moderators: singerchic4, Forum Moderators

dreamerfrvrp3
Addicted Roswellian

Chicklit

Post by dreamerfrvrp3 »

Anyone a huge fan of chicklit? Who is your favorite chicklit author?
DreamerLaure
Addicted Roswellian

Post by DreamerLaure »

I'm a fan of Chick Lit and though I think the genre title is a poor misnomer, I do love the books.

I loved Bergdorf Blondes by Plum Sykes, it was a really good read. A young Bergdorf Blonde, which is this made-up term (though I'm sure it holds some truth) for these ritzy 13-day blondes, finds love. The reader never learns her name, but her adventures are very funny. She eventually sheds some of her shallow qualities.

I also loved the Shopaholic Series by Sophie Kinsella (I'm told she goes by another name in Europe). My favorite was the first one.

Of course, can't go into the Chicklit genre without mention of Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding. I reread this one often.

One that's overlooked a lot, but is incredibly well written is Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner, and I think it's one of the more genuine books from this genre. I'm itching to get my hands on In Her Shoes by Jennifer Weiner because I saw the movie and I enjoyed it.

I tried picking up one of Marian Keyes's books but I couldn't get into it...
"The expected is just the beginning. The unexpected is what changes our lives."
Meredith - Grey's Anatomy
dreamerfrvrp3
Addicted Roswellian

Post by dreamerfrvrp3 »

I absolutely love Sophie Kinsella! All of her books are wonderful. You should really try Marian Keyes her books are ineresting but well worth it in the end. I also recommend Sarah Mlynowski, her teen and chicklit books are amazing!
BlondeDramaQueen
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by BlondeDramaQueen »

Dreamerlaure wrote: I loved Bergdorf Blondes by Plum Sykes, it was a really good read. A young Bergdorf Blonde, which is this made-up term (though I'm sure it holds some truth) for these ritzy 13-day blondes, finds love. The reader never learns her name, but her adventures are very funny. She eventually sheds some of her shallow qualities.
I really like that book! I liked the situation and all but I found the writing to be not so great! But overall loved the book.

Paris Hangover, that's a great book. Would you believe I bought it because the cover looked pretty! But once I started to read it I couldn't put it down.

I'm also a fan of The Perfect Manhattan, which is a pretty good book.
Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

I honestly just discovered chicklit a few months ago... I started with Emily Giffins' Something Borrowed...loved it, I read it in one day. Then a friend recommended that I try the Shopaholic Series (Sophia Kinsella), which I did, I loved the first book to pieces! It's hilarious!

The second book Shopaholic Takes Manhattan and Shopaholic Ties the Knot, again hilarious. Loved them!

Oh and I read Can You Keep a Secret, again another fun read from S.K. :wink:

Has anyone read, Undomestic Godess from her?

I then moved onto Something Blue...I wasn't sure about it since this was the story from the character in the first book that I wasn't too happy with (the character not the story :wink: ) But by middle of the book, I changed my mind big time. I seriously recommend the two.

I haven't read the third, which is Baby Proof (again by Emily Giffin) but just by reading the synopsis I *must* get it.

Hmm...another author I seem to have stumbled upon is Jennifer Crusie...Anyone But You (gotta love Fred!) and Charlie All Night are quick, fun, sexy reads.

I'm working on Welcome To Temptation by her as well right now...

And with regards to; Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner... I'm glad someone mentioned it, I want to see what that one is all about. It sounded interested and I added it to my list a few months ago :)

Hmm...I think that's it for now!
~Ruby~
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by ~Ruby~ »

Has anyone read, Undomestic Godess from her?
I read it in 2005. It was a real page turner, like all of her other novels. It was funny, witty and well written. I really liked Samantha although I couldn’t relate to her like I did with Becky from the Shopaholic series. I liked Sam’s love interest, Nathaniel. He was amusing but sometimes there was something a little off with him. I can't remember what it was though.

Hmm, I think that I might have to reread it. :)

Sophie Kinsella's next book Shopaholic and Baby is due out in the next couple of days in case anyone didn't know. :)
dreamerfrvrp3
Addicted Roswellian

Post by dreamerfrvrp3 »

Yes! I love all of Sophie Kinsella's books and I've read them all. I can't wait for Shopaholic and Baby!!!!
Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Heavenli24 »

Yep, Shopaholic and Baby is out to buy on Thursday :D - I've been looking forward to reading this next installment for months :) !!

Unfortunately, if you're in the US, you'll have to wait until Feb 27th to buy it, but that's only a few more weeks away, so it's not too bad.

I've read Undomestic Goddess too. I liked it, but didn't think it was as good as the Shopaholic Series or Can You Keep A Secret. Btw, did you know that she also writes under a different name - Madeleine Wickham? She's published 6 or 7 books in the last 10 years, before the Shopaholic Series etc. In fact, Madeleine is her real name and Sophie Kinsella is just a pen name!
dreamerfrvrp3
Addicted Roswellian

Post by dreamerfrvrp3 »

I know! I just realized that when I got Cocktails for Three as a Christmas present! I recommend that one too! But I think I like her books better that are under Sophie Kinsella.
DreamerLaure
Addicted Roswellian

Post by DreamerLaure »

Heavenli24 wrote:Unfortunately, if you're in the US, you'll have to wait until Feb 27th to buy it, but that's only a few more weeks away, so it's not too bad.
Whaaat? Aw, they spoil you! That is too bad...

That's really great Dreamerfrvrp3 - Let me know what you think of Cocktails for Three ;)

And, I haven't read Domestic Goddess yet, but I've wanted to for months, lol. I'll check that one out.

Paris Hangovers sounds really interesting too!
"The expected is just the beginning. The unexpected is what changes our lives."
Meredith - Grey's Anatomy