Twilight

Trade your favorite books and authors here!

Moderators: singerchic4, Forum Moderators

User avatar
Kitten88
Enthusiastic Roswellian
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:21 am
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Twilight

Postby Kitten88 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:34 pm

I usually prefer to see the movie before reading the book. Otherwise I'd just end up dissapointed in the movie...
Image

POM

Re: Twilight

Postby POM » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:21 pm

I loved the book twilight--just wished the movie would reflect it. ( It was the Directors decision to change 'Twilight' into how she saw the book as, but for the next film 'New Moon' the new director Chris Weitz? <sorry if misspelled> , hoping that this director will listen to the author Stephaine Meyers and have it more like the book.)

I did like the movie--but I just felt that it could have been better.

**If anyone is interested in reading 'Midnight Sun' ( it's Edward version of Twilight) i have a partial rough draft, the first 264 pgs. like up to Ch.10 or something like that. But it's only for reading only!! the author Stephaine Meyers does not want it to be posted on sites. So if you are interested in reading it just send me your email address--or you can just email me and I will send it to you.***
<3 POM

User avatar
singerchic4
Forum Moderator
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:49 pm
Location: *looks around nervously...then shrugs*
Contact:

Re: Twilight

Postby singerchic4 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:32 pm

ok, here is my take on Twilight. I liked the fact that you couldn't put it down. I love the relationship between all of the characters. I love the unit of the Cullens and Bella, it reminds me A LOT of the Roswell gang. All share a secret, all tied together forever, each person has unique qualities and they all love each other.

However, as an author...she leaves MUCH to be desired. I don't think she put much literary effort into books 2-4. There were whole chunks and chapters that I was thinking "is this really the plot line or am I reading a bad fanfic?!" seriously, that's bad if the reader thinks that they are reading a poor imitation of the published author. She veered off target and out of character, including totally changing POVs several times when she had never done that before. It kind of felt like season 3 when the writers just totally changed the whole concept of Roswell. "we're no longer about the Romeo and Juliet....uh....we are a action flick! yea, right!"

Whew! I'm glad I got that off my chest.

Would I read it again? Yes
Did I enjoy it? Yes
Is the best work of fiction ever? No
Is the author a pure genious and does she know where she is going...like JK Rowling? NO WAY!
Does she keep character? No

That is all :D
If you're having a bad day and in need of a good laugh, click the siggie.
Image
Check out my fics and art
Board ArchivesRulesFundraising

User avatar
Ansleyrocks
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 438
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:36 pm

Re: Twilight

Postby Ansleyrocks » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:48 am

I did find that she did switch POV's after the first book and it kinda turned me off. I mean it would have been fine if she did that in the first book as well but she didn't and then when she went and switched her writing style in the series it wasn't the best idea she ever had.

I am not fond of her last book only because it felt rushed and the characters went into OC land at times. Also there was not enough Emmett and Jasper in the last book and very little Alice. In the other books they at least had a larger part than a few one liners!

My main problem was that in all of her books she would introduce all of these characters and then just forget about them. Esme, the wolves, and Victoria are great examples of this. Victoria is supposed to be this evil after Bella and is a main part of the storyline and yet she only makes a rare showing and the readers know nothing about her other than that she was James mate and a little crazy. A little detail on her and her thinking and how she went after Bella would have been great!

User avatar
suie
Enthusiastic Roswellian
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:13 pm

Re: Twilight

Postby suie » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:39 pm

Strangely enough I liked the movie better than the books.

The first two I finished rather quickly but now I´m stucked with the third one. I just can get myself to read the rest of it. It just got really boring somewhere around the middle...

Looking forward to the second movie though.

User avatar
Misha
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 402
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:44 am
Location: Guatemala City, Guatemala
Contact:

Re: Twilight

Postby Misha » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:19 pm

I've read in a few places how Twilight resembles Roswell so much, but it didn't really hit me how much until I saw this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTEetnIRxo4

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"There's addiction, and there's Roswell!"

User avatar
April
Roswell Fanatic
Posts: 1556
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Somewhere. Anywhere.
Contact:

Re: Twilight

Postby April » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:12 pm

Okay, so the only reason I've started reading these books is because it's an exchange between me and my roommate: She watches Roswell if I read Twilight. Needless to say, she's OBSESSED with Roswell now and already considers it to be one of her five favorite shows ever, even though we haven't even finished Season 2 yet. I'm not quite as sold on these Twilight books. They're good enough, I suppose, but I'm not understanding the fascination. Maybe if I'd read the books before the phenomenon, I'd think differently. Or maybe if I wasn't such a huge Buffy fan. Buffy just does the vampire thing so much better than any of these shows or books nowadays. I'll always stand by that claim.

I haven't finished the first book yet, but . . . honestly, there are a lot of fanfictions on this board that are far more intriguging and well-written. I find Bella to be a complete Mary Sue character (and coming from someone who has been accused of writing Mary Sues, I don't make that accusation lightly), and I find Edward to be a little too good at everything. Maybe it's just because I have an image of shirtless Taylor Lautner in my mind, but I'm most intrigued by Jacob!

Also, Bella and Edward seem to fall so in love in such a hurry. I would have appreciated a build-up throughout the first book, only to have them give into temptation in a later book. I guess one of the things I appreciate so much about Roswell and Buffy is that the build-up is so intense and it makes the actual happening of the relationship so much more satisfying.

I do appreciate the fact that Stephanie Meyer has concocted a vampire mythology that isn't an exact replica of the Buffy mythology, but . . . come on, sparkling? He sparkles? Ah, whatever.

I'll keep reading, I suppose, because I'll be a high school English teacher soon and it's important for me to be in touch with what my students are reading. But I'm hoping the second and third books will be better, because I've heard the fourth one is ridiculous.
Image
LOVE IS MICHAEL AND MARIA.

User avatar
Misha
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 402
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:44 am
Location: Guatemala City, Guatemala
Contact:

Re: Twilight

Postby Misha » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:22 pm

Poor little innocent you :lol:

Twilight does require a... certain degree of suspension of disbelief... plus one hell of "meh..." when it comes to its writing. It was one of those books that you read just to see how it ends. I did find some parts enjoyable, and others I wanted to just bang my head against a wall.

The writing hardly improves, maybe except with Midnight Sun a bit. It does explain a lot of what was going on with Edward and why he would actually fall in love with her.

Breaking Dawn is one of those stories that you either love, hate, or just shrug. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground. You accept what is presented to you and run with it... or you don't. :roll:

Anyway, it's like you say, I don't see what the big deal is with it. It's a story that was half developed and with some interesting twists to the vampire mythology. But beyond that... is anyone's guess.
"There's addiction, and there's Roswell!"

User avatar
Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian
Posts: 578
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:41 am

Re: Twilight

Postby Heavenli24 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:39 pm

April wrote:They're good enough, I suppose, but I'm not understanding the fascination. Maybe if I'd read the books before the phenomenon, I'd think differently.


I read the books a couple of years ago before the movie phenomenon (before I even knew who KStew and RPattz were) and I wasn't too impressed with them back then either :roll: .

April wrote:Or maybe if I wasn't such a huge Buffy fan. Buffy just does the vampire thing so much better than any of these shows or books nowadays. I'll always stand by that claim.


That's the big thing for me - I started reading Twilight fanfic a few months ago, but to be honest, pretty much all of the fics I read left me feeling as unsatisfied with them as with the books... and a few weeks ago, I realised why: the Twilight world and the characters just don't make me feel anything, I can't relate to the characters and the lack of character development seems to translate over to the fanfic stories... they just bore me! I was getting really frustrated with the lack of good fanfic and my own lack of inspiration, so last month I went back and rewatched seasons 1-3 of Buffy (and parts of season 4/Angel season 1) on DVD and I finally felt something again (I used to be majorly obsessed with Buffy - the show got me through a really tough time in my life when I was a teenager). The writing is amazing, the Buffy world is well thought-out and intricate and the second half of season 2 makes me cry every time I watch it! I got obsessed with Buffy and with B/A fanfic because of the incredible depth of the characters and the storylines. Now, I've pretty much stopped reading Twific altogether and I've been searching out all the B/A fic I used to love.

April wrote:Also, Bella and Edward seem to fall so in love in such a hurry. I would have appreciated a build-up throughout the first book, only to have them give into temptation in a later book. I guess one of the things I appreciate so much about Roswell and Buffy is that the build-up is so intense and it makes the actual happening of the relationship so much more satisfying.


Yes, this is what's missing for me - I just don't 'get' why Bella and Edward fall in love. We don't see any depth to the characters or reasons that they fall in love each other (other than 'Edward's beautiful' and 'Bella's blood smells so amazing'). I mentioned on one of the Twilight fic boards that I didn't like how the characters in fics kept falling in love right away, that I preferred a slow, more realistic build-up, and the response I got was that the whole point in Twilight is that Bella and Edward fall in love quickly... it's like the fanfic isn't allowed to deviate from that in case it becomes too 'original' and not 'canon-like', even in AU fics.

April wrote:I do appreciate the fact that Stephanie Meyer has concocted a vampire mythology that isn't an exact replica of the Buffy mythology, but . . . come on, sparkling? He sparkles? Ah, whatever.


Before I started reading the books, I was hoping to read a dark, passionate vampire series, so I was pretty disappointed when the books didn't really have any of that. With all the build up to what would happen to Edward when he went into the sunlight, I was expecting something dark and scary and shocking... and what we got instead was sparkles :P!

April wrote:But I'm hoping the second and third books will be better, because I've heard the fourth one is ridiculous.


I prefer to pretend that the series ended with Eclipse and that book 4 doesn't exist - for me, the last book pretty much reads like a bad fanfic!

User avatar
Misha
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 402
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:44 am
Location: Guatemala City, Guatemala
Contact:

Re: Twilight

Postby Misha » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:51 pm

I think I have had better luck than you with fanfics. I've found the ones that actually filled some of the abysmal plot holes in the story. Mind you, it took me ages to find them, and then there's only a few, but some people did see the potential and wrote the story as it should have been written in the first place.

Even AU that actually take their time to build... Then again, I don't read AH (not even for Roswell...) but don't sell the entire fandom as so cringe-inducing. 98.4% of it, yeah, but not all of it :lol:
"There's addiction, and there's Roswell!"


Return to “Book Reviews”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest