Silence - Alias S3 - Complete! 12/3/06

Like Castle, Supernatural, True Blood, The Vampire Diaries, Harry Potter, Twilight, or any other fandom? Write Fan Fiction for it? Then go ahead and post it here!

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

Assilem_1
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Silence - Alias S3 - Complete! 12/3/06

Post by Assilem_1 »

A/N: Ok, I can't believe I got pruned right off the board! . . . Can I say, that is so distressing! Or you know, whatever, I don't care, lol . . . I guess I'll just start over . .. . Hope some people still stop by to read . . .

Title: Silence
Author: Assilem_1 a.k.a. Melissa
Disclaimer: Alias belongs to JJ Abrams and other people whose names are not mine . . .
Category: Season 3, some S/V angst (Is there anything else in Season 3?)
Rating: PG-13
Spoilers: Through first 2 eps of Season 3 with vague allusions to later eps
Summary: The results of a mission . . .

Part 1: Four minutes

“Base I have the package, I’m in room 214. I need extraction.”

“Copy that Mountaineer. Team’s on it’s way. E.T.A. in” a pause as he checked with the team “4 minutes” came over the static in her comm link, Vaughn’s voice sounding even more detached over the connection than it did in person these days.

Sydney nodded even though he couldn’t see her and kept her gun aimed at Koreshnokov, a member of the Convenant that might have answers about her missing two years . . . So far he wasn’t talking . . . Which made sense because he was unconscious.

She turned her wrist so she could see her watch and sighed.

*4 minutes*

She purposely avoided focusing on the seconds hand moving around the surface . . . Something that had been drawing her attention a lot lately.

Time . . .

It was such a simple thing really . . . Like her watch, it was just hands moving on a clock . . . Blinking numbers . . . Eventually, pages on a calender . . . Certainly not worthy of the emotions she felt when she contemplated it . . .

“Syd, since that night . . . you were missing. You've been missing for almost two years . . .”

Time stole two years of her life.

Well, really, the Covenant stole two years of her life, but time kept going . . .

Life moved on without Sydney Bristow in it.

People laughed, People cried and she died . . . Not necessarily in that order.

And now that she was back, she felt like she wasn’t . . .

I’m just a ghost in this house . . .

Sometimes she thinks she should have stayed dead . . . Stayed wherever she was, *who*ever she was . . . Because this life . . . it’s not hers anymore . . .

She can’t be Sydney Bristow anymore . . .

Sydney Bristow is dead.

*3 minutes*

Sydney Bristow had a best friend named Francie Calfo . . .

Francie Calfo is dead.

Sydney tries not to remember killing her . . .

Sydney Bristow had another friend named Will Tippin . . .

Will Tippin is gone.

Forced into hiding because he knew Sydney Bristow . . . Sometimes she thinks she killed him too.

And lastly, Sydney Bristow had a love . . .

Michael Vaughn . . .

Even her thoughts catch on his name.

Sydney Bristow had Michael Vaughn . . . A man who loved her and cherished her above all others . . .

Michael Vaughn is gone.

*2 minutes*

Sometimes she thinks he killed her . . . Took aim with his words ...

“I loved you so much it nearly killed me”

...finger squeezing the trigger ...

“You got married?”

“I did.”

...and blew away her heart ...

“I don’t regret moving on”

Why was she even still doing this?

Her hand started to lower . . .

She was tired . . . so tired . . . All there was were missions, mission briefings and mission debriefings . . .

A constant search for answers that wouldn’t change anything.

Two years of her life would still be lost. Her friends would still be gone . . . Vaughn would still be married . . . She would still be dead.

*1 minute*

Her hand lowered still further and Koreshnokov saw his chance . . .

Quickly he spun over and delivered a swift kick to her hands. The gun went sailing into the air, landing with a thud somewhere behind him. He flipped into a standing position and Sydney ducked a punch and threw a low kick that put him on one knee. Next she kicked high, aiming for his head but he caught her foot and she twisted to escape his hold and used the momentum to throw a kick that, when it made contact, sent him sprawling away from her. She was so busy trying to keep the offensive that she didn’t see the gun he had grabbed until it was pointed right at her . . .

She froze.

Too late . . .

A fraction of a second too late and time was against her once again.

She should have kept her head in the game, shouldn’t have been thinking about Vaughn . . .

“Goodbye” he said to her in Russian as he squeezed the trigger, gun aimed at her chest.

“I loved you so much it nearly killed me”

She closed her eyes.

Goodbye

The shot seemed to echo as into her commlink came Vaughn’s voice, no longer detached.

“Mountaineer, are you ok?”

“Sydney?!”

“Syd?”

~*silence*~

~~~

Four minutes
Last edited by Assilem_1 on Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:11 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Assilem_1
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Assilem_1 »

Part 2: Debriefing

“At approximately 10:16 this morning, Agent Sydney Bristow was shot” Dixon’s voice wavered for a moment before strengthening “in the chest while on a routine mission.” There was a collective gasp in the meeting room as he continued. “She was taken to Mount Sinai hospital and is currently in surgery . . .They say that she didn’t regain consciousness during the trip to the hospital and that the damage was extensive . . .” He looked down at the table for a moment and then continued speaking softly. “Agents Vaughn and Jack Bristow are currently at the hospital and will inform us of any changes . . . ”

Lauren inhaled deeply and let it out slowly, trying to stay calm. Marshall looked like he wanted to cry and Weiss didn’t look much better.

Dixon took a deep breath and hit the button on the projector.

On the screen flashed a man with short, dark hair, a well-kept beard, stern features and a solid build. “As some of you know, this is Borov Koreshnokov . . . Sydney was sent on a mission to retrieve him when we received intel that as a member of the Covenant he was responsible for the deaths of three CIA agents and Agent Bristow’s kidnapping two years ago. At 10:12 a.m., Agent Bristow contacted Base ops confirming that she had Koreshnokov in custody and was awaiting extraction. By 10:16 however, Koreshnokov had managed to shoot Sydney and apparently escape through a hidden entrance in the room because when the team arrived he was gone and Sydney was alone.” He clicked off the projector. “I need everyone in this room to work on getting all the intel they can on Koreshnokov. Lauren, I was told that the NSC has a file on him from when he was on the Triad payroll. Marshall, I need you to hack into his files and find any personal information we haven’t already uncovered. Weiss I want you to call on your contacts at State to see what they have on him. I want this bastard captured by the end of the day . . . For shooting a CIA agent . . . For shooting Sydney . . .”

For Sydney

“Any questions?”

~*silence*~
Last edited by Assilem_1 on Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Assilem_1
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Assilem_1 »

Part 3: Grieving

Dr. Williams emerged from the Surgeon’s bay to be immediately accosted by two men in the waiting room. Blood shot eyes, wrinkled clothing, strained faces . . . These were the norm in this hospital. The younger man showed signs of all three . . . But the older man, presumably the patient’s father, his expression was stoic. Only his eyes gave away his deep worry . . .

Immediately they both began to speak.

“How is she?”

“Is she ok?”

The doctor held up his hand warily. “I’m assuming you’re asking about Sydney Bristow?”

They both nodded, the father impatiently.

The doctor braced himself to give the bad news . . .

“The bullet fractured her ribcage and a bone fragment punctured her heart . . . There was internal bleeding. We repaired the damage the best we could and she made it through the surgery . . .” Both men let out a breath of relief. “But she slipped into a coma soon after. I’m sorry . . .”

The father frowned so severely that lines seemed to etch themselves permanently into his face as he turned, facing the nearest window and focused blindly outside. The younger man collapsed into the nearest chair, a look of devastation on his face . . .

As the doctor turned to return to the Surgeon’s bay, he heard someone call to him.

When he turned around the father was once again facing him.

“What are her chances of waking up?” he asked solemnly.

The doctor paused, unwilling to give him a number. “It’s important that we wait and see before speculating-”

“Doctor” the father interrupted sternly “*What* are her chances?”

He looked at them both and sighed. “She sustained major damage to her chest cavity and severe blood loss . . .” He trailed off at the father’s glare and the young man’s desperate look . . . “About 40 percent” he said, looking between the two of them regretfully.

The father’s eye twitched as he turned and strode away . . . obviously to be alone with his grief . . . The young man shook his head in stunned disbelief and then his head dropped into his hands and it wasn’t long before his shoulders began to shake with the force of his anguish.

The doctor turned away quietly to return the way he’d come. Their grief seemed to follow him all the way down the hall and back through the doors to the Surgeon’s bay . . .

~*silence*~
Assilem_1
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Assilem_1 »

Part 4: Camaraderie

Jack returned to the waiting room to find a distraught Vaughn holding his head in his hands, obviously still struggling with his grief . . .

He stood over him for a moment, noting that Vaughn was so consumed by his grief he didn’t even notice.

Not too long ago he had been angry at Vaughn for breaking his daughter’s heart . . .

But the man sitting in front of him was grieving, just as he was . . .

Later they would talk about the propriety of Vaughn’s feelings for his daughter . . . Later . . . When there was a reason for their discussion . . . Namely Sydney being awake and ok . . . He said a quick prayer to a god he never spoke to . . . Please let her wake up and be ok . . .

A shaky inhale brought his attention back to Vaughn . . .

It was now extremely obvious that just as Vaughn still resided in Sydney’s heart, Sydney still resided in Vaughn’s . . . In light of current circumstances, this fact was more than obvious . . . Vaughn’s grief was almost airborne, it was so palpable . . .

Jack sat in the seat next to Vaughn’s and placed his hand on Vaughn’s shoulder.

Vaughn looked up at him, too tired to even try to hide his grief, and their gazes locked . . . And for a moment they were transported back to that night, over two years ago, when they came face to face after Sydney’s death. Two people who loved her more than anything in the world, suddenly left with a giant hole that her presence used to fill in their lives . . . Only this time it was so much worse because fate had given her back, only to dangle her life before them now in some cruel twist . . .

They had been comrades once . . . united in their search for answers . . . Time had caused that bond to stretch, then break completely. Now it sprung up again . . .

Vaughn took a deep breath and rubbed eyes he was sure must be red-rimmed . . .

“I’ve made some calls, arranged for some people to come see Sydney. Have you seen her yet?”

Vaughn shook his head tiredly. “They won’t let me in. I’m not family” he said, wearily dragging his hand down his face.

Jack simply nodded.

“Why don’t you go home? I’ll straighten things out here. Go get cleaned up. When you come back everything will be set for you to see Sydney.”

“Jack . . .” Vaughn said hesitantly. He didn’t want to leave. What if . . .?

“Vaughn, go home” Jack said forcefully but not unkindly. “If anything happens, I’ll call you.”

Vaughn looked at him for a moment, still ready to resist . . . But he knew that look on Jack’s face well . . . It meant that he was not going to be flexible about this, so Vaughn nodded and rose wearily from his seat. He looked back at Jack. “Call my cell if . . . well, just call if . . . if she wakes up” he said softly.

Jack nodded and Vaughn turned and walked slowly away. Feeling like he was deserting Sydney.

Again.

When he was out of sight, Jack pinched the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes for a moment, then rose to go put things in order . . .

~*silence*~
Assilem_1
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Assilem_1 »

Part 5: The Rules

“Dr. Williams?” he heard called as he stepped out of a patient’s room, jotting things down on a chart.

“Yes?” he said as he turned to discover the father from earlier this morning standing stiffly behind him.

Jack Bristow stood silent for a moment, deliberately assessing the man who just that morning had been fighting to save his daughter’s life . . . Consideration had to be given for that, he acknowledged, so he decided to go easy on the doctor . . .

Dr. Williams waited a moment for him to speak . Finally, with just a touch of impatience, he began “Was there something you wanted Mr. Bristow? Because if not-”

“I understand you told Mr. Vaughn that only family could see my daughter?”

“Yes, that’s correct” Dr. Williams answered, now understanding the source of the problem. “Hospital policy dictates that only family members-”

“I understand you have rules Dr. Williams” Jack said briskly. The doctor nodded appreciatively. “But your rules do not concern me. My daughter does. She is in a small little room, hooked up to a lot of machines, fighting for her life and if having her friends around her, if hearing their voices, could possibly help bring her back, I’m not going to let some rules prevent that.”

“But-”

“Dr. Williams, I did not come here for anything so minor as your consent. I am not asking for your permission. My intent here is merely to inform you of the way things will be. My daughter’s friends and colleagues will be visiting her. I have made a list of these people. A copy of this list has been given to the nurses station and they will admit those people, and only those people, on the list whenever they see fit to visit. Are we clear?” Jack finished, clearly ready to return to his daughter.

“Well I uh-” Dr. Williams stuttered out, and was embarrassed by his incoherence.

“A simple yes will do Dr. Williams” Jack spoke in clipped tones. “Are we *clear*?” he asked again, steel seeping into his voice.

“Y-yes we are Mr. Bristow” Dr. Williams finally managed to get out, wetting his lips nervously.

Jack nodded and without another word, turned and walked briskly away, already focused on other tasks.

Dr. Williams was left staring after him in a daze, feeling like he had just been steamrolled. Not for the first time, he thought that he really needed to look at the surgical programs at other hospitals . . . Working at a CIA hospital just put him in contact with the wrong people at times . . . He ran a shaky hand through his hair and tried to forget his encounter with Jack Bristow as he went about checking on his other patients . . .

~*silence*~
Assilem_1
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Assilem_1 »

Part 6: Clarity

Vaughn sat in his car outside the hospital, keys by his side on the passenger seat, not able to bring himself to leave . . . His hands gripped the steering wheel as a wave of helplessness washed over him . . . He should have been able to protect her . . . That’s why he had come back to the CIA . . . to make sure she’d be safe . . .

Safe and ok . . .

He took deep breaths, fighting back his grief and slowly, slowly his grip loosened on the steering wheel . . .

After an indeterminate amount of time, he exhaled, running a shaky hand through his hair and purposefully picked up his keys and started the car . . . Jack was right, he did need to get away for awhile . . . He felt like he was coming apart at the seams . . .

So, putting the car in gear, he drove slowly out of the hospital parking lot, feeling like he was leaving his heart behind . . . Stopped at a light, he was startled by the ringing of his cell phone . . . He picked it up and was about to answer when he caught a glimpse of the LCD screen flashing “Home calling” . . .

His mind froze on one thought . . .

Lauren

The phone rang a few more times and then silenced as Vaughn’s mind caught on the most significant decision he’d made in the two years Sydney had been gone . . .

“Do you, Michael Vaughn, take Lauren Reed…”

“What it comes down to is Faith.”

“…to be your lawfully wedded wife…”

“What I was hoping you would say is ‘Sydney, I gave up.’ ”

“…to have and to hold…”

“ ‘I gave up on us . . .’ ”

“…in sickness and in health…”

“ ‘I lost faith.’ ”

“…for richer or for poorer…”

“If it had been me, I would have waited . . .”

“…as long as you both shall live?”

“I wouldn't have given up on you.”

A horn honking behind him brought him out of his reverie . . . Brought him out of the moment of perfect clarity he’d just had . . .

He continued home with a renewed sense of purpose that continued as he walked through his front door.

“Michael, is that you?” he heard called from the living room.

“Yeah it’s me” he answered solemnly, shutting the door behind him.

Lauren stepped into the entryway with a slight smile on her face that slowly fell as she met his gaze.

“Lauren, we need to talk . . .”

~*silence*~
Assilem_1
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Assilem_1 »

A/N: Ok, so you guys are gonna hate me ‘cause it’s gonna be awhile before you find out what Vaughn says to Lauren, but meanwhile don’t you want to know what’s going on with Sydney? . . .

Well, alright then . . . Here you go! . . . ;) . . .

Part 7: Daddy’s little girl

Jack stepped into the room just as a nurse was finishing up, recording Sydney’s vitals.

“Should I come back?” he asked quietly.

“No, I’m just about finished” she answered, writing down the last bit of information, sliding the pen into place and returning the clipboard to it’s place at the end of the bed. “All done” she said and padded to the door, exiting quietly.

Jack watched her exit from the room before he focused on his daughter lying between the crisp white sheets, hooked up to so many tubes and wires, she almost seemed trapped . . . She looked so pale, so helpless . . . Not like the strong woman she’d grown into at all . . .

“Hi honey” he said after he settled in the chair next to the bed.

“I-” he paused, rubbing his hand across his forehead wearily. He shook his head and exhaled. “I don’t know what to say . . . I feel like someone is playing a cruel joke . . .” He was silent for a moment then continued. “Our lives aren’t easy . . . Seems like they never were . . . Injuries, torture, death . . . All possibilities we accept going out on each mission . . . But you’ve already lost so much to this life . . . Even before you were old enough to understand, you lost your mother . . . You lost me . . .” he trailed off. “I know I haven’t been a great father to you . . . In fact, I’ve been a downright bad father at times . . . But you have to believe that you’ve always been my baby girl in my heart . . . I know I closed myself off from you after your mother died and I’m sorry for that . . . I just didn’t know how to deal with things after-” He stopped and caught his breath. “I guess right now that’s not important . . . What is important is you will always be my baby girl . . . You’re daddy’s little girl and I love you honey . . . Never doubt that . . . I know the last few weeks have been hard . . . Losing your friends . . . Finding out Vaughn is married . . . For everyone else the world changed gradually. For you it changed overnight . . .” He moved his chair closer and smoothed her hair. “I know it may not seem like there’s much of a reason for you to come back, but-” his hand shook slightly as he continued to smooth her hair “but I need you here Sydney. You’ve been my silent strength all these years and I need you to wake up honey . . . Daddy needs you to wake up now.” He watched her for a moment, waiting and then he took a deep breath.

“It’s ok” he said, reaching for her hand. “It’s ok if you can’t right now . . . I’m just going to stay here so you’re not alone ok? . . . You’re not alone . . . You can wake up when you’re ready . . . ”

~*silence*~
Assilem_1
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Assilem_1 »

Part 8: Long lost friends

The young man opened the door and peeked inside tentatively. Jack looked up from his silent vigil over his daughter and rose from his seat, gesturing for him to enter. Jack looked at him solemnly for a moment, noting how he couldn’t seem to take his eyes off of Sydney.

Finally he focused on Jack.

“I’m sorry . . .” he said unsteadily. “It’s just . . .”

“It’s ok Mr. Tippin. I’ll give you some time alone with her” Jack said, patting him on the shoulder and then leaving the room.

Will nodded, once again focusing on Sydney’s still form in the hospital bed.

There were so many things attached to her . . . A machine monitoring her heart . . . Another one helping her breathe . . . And she was so still . . .

He walked over to the bed slowly and sat down in the chair previously occupied by Jack. He reached out and around the tubing and the I.V., he picked up her hand, cradling it in his.

“Hey Syd” he said quietly, his voice breaking on her name. “It’s Will.” He swallowed. “Your father arranged for me to come back . . . He thought you’d want to hear from me . . . Syd-” he paused again and studied the heart monitor intently for a minute, trying to fend off his tears. Finally he began to speak again. “You know, two years ago they told me you were dead. I didn’t believe it, but they told me. I thought to myself ‘Syd’s not dead. She’s too strong.’” His eyes teared and he had to pause again. “I thought . . . ‘It’s just a cover for witness protection . . . or some mission . . . She’s not dead . . .’ Life couldn’t be that cruel. It couldn’t take you and Francie from me at the same time . . . So you had to be alive . . . But then I took one look at Vaughn’s face . . .” His voice broke and tears started to run down his face. He stopped to gather himself together. Awhile later he continued. “I saw his face and I knew . . . You were really gone . . . And now” he sighed to prevent himself from crying again. “Now I find out you’re alive, but it’s not fair Syd . . . They say you might not wake up . . . But you have to . . . I know I’m in witness protection and we won’t see each other, but the world needs Sydney Bristow . . . *I* need you Syd . . . I need to know you’re ok . . . that you’re alive and you’re ok . . . So wake up Syd” he began to cry again softly. His head came to rest on their joined hands. “I need you to wake up now Syd . . .” He looked up at her pale face, letting the tears fall unheeded. “Wake up Syd please . . .”

~*silence*~
Assilem_1
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Assilem_1 »

Part 9: Unexpected

A nurse stepped into the room and closed the door behind her after scanning the halls. She observed the woman residing in the single bed with a worried brow and the man sleeping fitfully in the chair beside her, holding her hand.

Her expression softened.

She walked over and picked up Sydney’s chart, scanning her status and all the medications she was currently on. Then, setting the chart back in it’s place, she walked over to the sleeping man and shook him awake. “Wake up” she whispered.

His eyes shot open, looking at the bed. “Sydney?” he said, sitting up quickly.

“No Jack” she answered softly. His eyes jumped to her in surprise. “Irina?” he asked, the haze of sleep quickly gone.

“It’s me” she confirmed softly.

“I didn’t know if you’d come” he said as he got up stiffly and looked at her, studied her really. She met his gaze steadily.

For the first time in a long time, she actually looked like the woman he’d married so many years ago . . . But she looked sad and vulnerable too. He gathered her into his arms as her arms came around him and they just held each other for awhile. Finally Irina pulled back and looked over at Sydney. “I need to- Can you-?” she gestured helplessly.

“You want to be alone with her for awhile?”

She nodded.

“Ok, I’ll be just outside” he said, reaching over to smooth Sydney’s hair before leaving the room.

Irina stepped over to the bed and smoothed the covers around Sydney, fixing her hair and adjusting her pillow.

Then she stood looking down at her.

“My darling girl” she murmurred.

She took a seat in the chair.

“Sydney, it’s your mother . . .”

She sighed.

“Maybe I forfeited the right to call myself that when you were 6 years old, but I am still your mother. I carried you within me for 9 months and I nursed you, loved you . . . I still love you . . . And I know I’ve done some awful things . . . Some for the right reasons, but more for the wrong ones . . . But the hardest thing I ever did is leave you and your father . . .” She paused. “The best thing I ever did is have you . . .” She caressed Sydney’s cheek. “My beautiful girl . . . I haven’t been a mother to you all these years but I have been watching you and the one thing I know? The world is a better place with you in it . . . *My* world is a better place with you in it . . .”

She stood and pulled a syringe out of her pocket.

“So I’m going to help you . . . Help you out of the place you’re in right now . . .”

She removed the cover from the syringe.

“I’ve had this lab in France for awhile now, where they work on medical experiments . . . They created this formula that combats ‘the rising dark’ . . . What the scientists there call a coma . . . I pray it will help you too . . . It’s been thoroughly tested and you aren’t on anything that might counteract it, I checked . . . I would never give it to you if it weren’t safe . . .”

She injected the contents into Sydney’s I.V. and then, capping the syringe, she leaned forward and placed a kiss on Sydney’s forehead.

“You’re going to be ok now Sydney . . . I promise . . .” she said softly.

She stood there for awhile, looking down at her daughter . . . Then she sighed and left the room. The only sounds left behind were the beeping of the heart monitor and the sound of the respirator pumping air into Sydney’s lungs. As the door shut behind her, Sydney’s hand twitched, then lay still . . .

~*silence*~
Assilem_1
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Assilem_1 »

A/N: As short as my parts have been, who would have guessed they could get shorter? . . This part’s so short it’s not even a part, it’s an interlude. I apologize in advance ‘cause if you blink you’ll miss it (it’s that short), but take my word for it, it’s relevant to the story line . . .;) . . .

Interlude: Fever?

Dr. Williams looked at Sydney’s chart and frowned at the nurse standing beside him.

“I’m noticing a spike in her temperature since this morning. Has she been administered any drugs that weren’t noted on the chart?” he asked, flipping the pages, looking for anything that might have been missed.

“No doctor, nothing new has been administered since she was admitted to the ICU” the nurse answered.

“Well, she may be getting an infection. We need to treat it before her fever gets any higher. Give her ten cc’s of sepataxime. Let’s see how she does on that . . .”

The nurse nodded and left the room to get the medication . . . After noting the new medication on her chart, Dr. Williams placed the chart back in it’s place and followed suit, never once noticing that his patient’s eyes appeared to be moving beneath her eyelids . . .

~*silence*~

Next part: Vaughn returns . . .