A Starry Night (Sequel, B/A, Mature) [COMPLETE]

Like Castle, Supernatural, True Blood, The Vampire Diaries, Harry Potter, Twilight, or any other fandom? Write Fan Fiction for it? Then go ahead and post it here!

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

angelrose242000
Enthusiastic Roswellian

A Starry Night (Sequel, B/A, Mature) [COMPLETE]

Post by angelrose242000 »

Here is the beautiful banner that Lesleykj made for me! Hope you like it!!

A Starry Night
Sequel to A Rose in the Darkness

By, Angelrose242000

Disclaimer: I own NOTHING!

Part One—Suburban Life

Five Years Later….

Monday, April 12, 2005

Buffy worked outside planting her newest rose bush Angel had bought her last week. There was little Buffy loved more than having flowers to admire. She’d loved flowers since she was a small girl. Roses were her favorite, but she was partial to the carnation too depending on its color and arrangement.

Now that she had just begun a week off for vacation at her job, Buffy was enjoying every second of it. Dressed in blue jeans and a pink shirt she’d had since high school, with yellow printed garden gloves on her hands, Buffy finished her job, pouring fertilizer around the lively bush. She stood, smiling down at it saying, “Well, I’ve done what I can for now.” There was the watering that after today would be frequent if it stayed as dry as it had been so far. Buffy dismissed it for now though.

She took in the neighborhood that she and Angel had moved into together three years ago and saw that it was still as polished as it had been when they moved in. Leaving his flat when he and Buffy started college at UCLA, the following fall, they moved into a dorm. That was very temporary as it was soon discovered that they no privacy. Not liking it, they moved into an apartment and finally to this neighborhood while Angel worked and Buffy worked and went to school.

Now, a year out of college, Angel worked for himself continuing to fight for the innocent in his office on Tyler Avenue with Doyle and Cordelia still at his side, when they weren’t on sets for their acting career. Buffy was a computer consultant for Werther Brothers the main computer shop in LA. Both did pretty well for themselves and thanks to the bank, were living in their own house. At 24, Buffy was a happily married woman.

She and Cordelia lived within blocks of each other and had surprisingly become good friends…strangely proving her mom right.

Weekends were spent with Doyle and Cordelia coming to Angel and Buffy’s for Saturday afternoon cookouts. Buffy and Cordelia went shopping together and had manicures and makeover jobs done! Buffy helped pick out a nighty for Cordelia to wear at night for Doyle at their four-year anniversary of being together. And of course, the holidays were spent at mom’s. The whole gang would be there from Sunnydale and LA and lots of pictures would be taken, lots of food eaten.

At night, Buffy and Angel walked along the beach, looking up at the stars, holding hands and talking. It was romantic, and a nice break from nights of slaying and patrolling.

Today, Buffy smiled at how much in love she was with Angel. In three months, they would be celebrating their five-year anniversary. Angel had spoken of traveling abroad, visiting Ireland, London, and France. Buffy took all this in for another moment, then turned to walk back into her home.

Looking at hers and Angel’s house, she still enjoyed how cozy and theirs it was. It spoke of Angel and his need for space as it was large, two stories and full of wide rooms. It spoke also of Buffy and her joy for art, paintings and music. The kitchen cabinets spacious and fronted by glass. The floors carpeted in light grays, browns and pinks (for the bathroom). A country house beige and yellow with a front porch swing and a gazebo in the backyard. On the deck a telescope sat, for nights when they chose to admire the stars and constellations. Ever since college, Buffy and Angel had taken on an interest in Astronomy. They had paintings of it in their house, as well as books on the subject.

Buffy gazed at her sand covered feet, and chose to walk around to the back yard deck to keep from getting it all over the carpet in the front room. The sun was beating down on her. Smiling, walking up the stairs, Buffy and her sheers went on inside her airy house. She kicked her sandals off at the patio.

The windows were open today. The weather was simply too nice to keep them shut. Since Buffy got up around the time of Angel these days, she stayed up, cleaned up the place, and opened windows to freshen the house. Stepping inside now, Buffy let herself breathe in the smell of clean air.
Walking to the kitchen, Buffy opened her fridge and grabbed the pitcher of sweet tea and opening the cabinet over the sink, poured herself a nice tall glass. Walking across the room to the far right counter, Buffy grabbed the small jar of odds and ends and reaching inside grabbed a pony tail holder. Reaching for her blonde hair that was shoulder length again, Buffy pulled it up into a high ponytail. She’d been out there just a couple hours, but already sweat was on her neck and she had to get her hair off it.

Buffy still hadn’t learned to love the culinary arts yet; she was a pretty no-nonsense modern woman. This entailed TV dinners, frozen lasagna’s, and any brand food with the name of Banquet on it. Tonight, we’ll have Salisbury Steak TV dinners, Buffy thought with a smile. She patted the top of her dishwasher, thankful again that Angel and she had picked a house with one in it. She wasn’t much for doing dishes either. She’d wash them, but she enjoyed nights when she didn’t have to think of them or heavy cooking… Angel knew when he married her that Buffy was no Betty Crocker. She was a…what could she call herself? Buffy thought. A Vampire Slayer, she answered with a smile. Someone that didn’t have time to worry over a hot stove or wash dishes for hours.

Taking her glass of tea to the bathroom, Buffy turned on the water and planned to clean up in the tub. She was dirty from planting flowers this morning. She just loved the aroma bottles mom had bought her for her birthday a couple weeks ago. Grabbing the cordless off the wall, Buffy set it on the lid of the closed stool and slowly stepped into the lukewarm water. Ah!!! What a nice way to spend a Monday morning!

Cordelia was working hard with Angel and Doyle the same Monday morning. She was answering phones that seemed endless with her cheery voice and making appointments, doing the filing. Her position had remained the same and she still enjoyed it. She’d come to love it more when she realized it was not all she did. She was occasionally in movies now days with Doyle as her manager. He acted in a few with her, on occasion. Mainly, though, he was a manager. He did the official stuff while she simply memorized her lines and acted on stage. Compared to helping others, though, Cordelia learned that it wasn’t as rewarding. She liked acting, but she loved being a service to others far more than being seen as a sex symbol.

No, Cordelia didn’t like being seen as a pretty face with nothing inside. She wanted to be seen as intelligent, fun loving, and worthy of being seen as competent to be a receptionist for Angel or an actress for Starway, the recently popular Movie Company.

And she was.

Mom didn’t understand her love for her acting or her love for Doyle, someone that she was living with but not married to. He hadn’t proposed yet, but Cordelia wasn’t rushing him to either. They were young, they had careers and she was okay with their relationship as it was. It had been this way for four years. It was nice. So maybe she would like for someday to be proposed to, but it wasn’t so important that it would keep her in bed unable to function until she heard the words.

No, Cordelia was stronger than that!

She continued answering phones, telling herself that she was just fine and dandy with how things were with Doyle. Her mother and her friends would have to be patient…as she was having to be.

Until then, she found herself smiling and saying, “Good morning, this is Cordelia, how may I help you?” And attempting to listen to the latest person in need, her own thoughts were once again pushed back….

Doyle was happy with the way things were going with Cordelia and him. At thirty-three he was successful, an aid to the despairing people in LA and in love with a wonderful girl. Correction wonderful woman for she was no girl. Cordelia was strong, independent, and his. Doyle enjoyed knowing this about her. Here lately, though it seemed everyone around them was nudging things to progress further, toward commitments, commitments Doyle wasn’t sure he could keep. Sure he might not be a watcher these days, but could he ground himself as a husband to Cordelia? He wasn’t sure. The cards weren’t 100% his to deal with and predict. No one had guarantees, not in this life. All Doyle could do was enjoy what he had with her. That was what they had done together for going on five years. It was…nice…he could say. Comfortable. Something he could depend on when he got home from work. Cordelia in the house, jabbering to him about something, with her outrageously beautiful smile that attracted him all those years ago and still held him in her grasp. Sure if he were honest, he could say that maybe he was short-changing Cordelia with his desire to have her at his leisure. But until she said something about it, there was nothing he could do about it. Frankly, Doyle didn’t want to have to handle those sticky entanglements right then. Ultimately they might cause rifts between them that he wasn’t sure he could live with. It was selfish as could be, but for some reason, he was simply unable to stop his stalling actions. He tried not to think of it as he pretended to work in the office with the others….

Angel had caught him in his thoughts, spacing off. This wasn’t an unusual thing for Angel to do. Figuring he was thinking about Cordelia again, he smiled and said, “Hey! Doyle! Earth to Doyle.”

Doyle looked up and said in a near stutter, “Wh-what? Whatcha need Angel?”

Seeing Angel needed nothing at the moment, that he was taking a break, Doyle scowled, “Dang it, Angel.”

Angel grinned saying, “Come on. Okay, seriously now, Doyle. What is going on in that head of yours? You’ve been acting spacey for days.” At least, Angel thought but didn’t add. Doyle was his friend, he was concerned about him, but didn’t want to be that obvious, he wanted to hear what Doyle was thinking, not make him mad by boldly prying. By wording it this way, he might get an answer, Angel thought, hoping.

Doyle said simply, “The same thing that has been since I laid eyes on her.”

Angel said nonplussed, “A medium built brunette with brown eyes and a big vocabulary…Cordelia Chase.”

Nodding and looking intently at Angel, Doyle said, “None other.”

Laughing lightly, Angel said, “What you do this time, Doyle?” Doyle and Cordelia played a game in their relationship where Doyle liked to think he was the man of the house but really, it was Cordelia who wore the pants. It made Angel chuckle in amazement that a man like Doyle could wish to live this way, but he seemed to like it fine.

Like Angel was one to talk, he thought with his own smile of admittance. He was every bit as hooked. If Buffy gave him a look or a smile, he became putty right then and there and would generally do whatever she asked of him. Love did the strangest things, Angel thought. It caused men to become boys again and women to be girls, but only to the ones they loved.

Doyle replied, walking around the office that was scattered and a mess. This was one section Cordelia hadn’t been able to reach yet with her filing. It showed. Doyle had to walk around piles of folders and paperwork, as he ran a hand through his hair and said fixated, “I don’t really think I’ve done anything this time. I’ve been helping around the house, trying to keep my stuff picked up, remembering to lower the toilet seat….” When Doyle went through explanations of things with Cordelia or anything he often didn’t think of how open he truly was. Angel had to fight like crazy to keep from letting his mirth show.

Angel asked, “Have you tried talking with her about it?” Doyle said, “Sure I have. But she insists there is nothing wrong with a smile. So I go on, get relaxed and satisfied again being with her.” Angel said, “I wouldn’t worry about it if you can’t imagine doing anything wrong.” Until she came and told him differently and knowing Cordelia, Angel figured she would when she was ready.

Continuing, Doyle said, “I’ve even devoted Saturday nights to watching her kinds of shows, even though I can’t stand most of them.”

Angel asked, “Has she made you watch Titanic and Runaway Bride?”

Raising his eyebrows in a definite show of pain, Doyle said, “Oh yeah! Angel it was murder. I nearly ran from the room in agony.”

Angel said, “Agony? I hardly think it was that bad, Doyle.” Although Angel had seen a few himself that were tests to his patience. Buffy’s pleading voice and cunning ways made him want to please her, even it meant watching Rose say “You jump, I jump remember” five times in one weekend. That was what made him strong, Angel thought.

He grinned at Doyle and said, “Toughen up, pal. Part of having a girlfriend is adjusting to her likes.”

Doyle said, “I guess. It isn’t so bad really. I just wish she would take pity on me sometimes and at least take out the movie Sleepless in Seattle. Burn the son of a bitch. I’d help her!”

Angel laughed and Doyle found himself joining in. It wasn’t really that bad for either of them, they just enjoyed sharing times of male aggravation. Deep down neither would have it any other way….

Buffy had to sit on the stool for a minute after taking her bath. She was woozy for some reason. She contributed it to being in the tub for way too long. Sometimes if she lay in the water long enough she became so relaxed that when she got out she had to give herself a minute to readjust to being on her feet again. She ran a hand through her hair, hearing the phone ringing.

Picking up her cordless on the counter now beside her, having moved it when she got out, Buffy said, “Hello? Oh, hi, mom. You caught me at a good time. I’m just out of the tub and cleaned up for the day.”

Joyce smiled and said, “Good. Then you won’t mind me stopping by? I need to show you some fabrics I’m using to make another afghan.”

Here lately mom had gotten into sewing. She had been working on pillows, blankets, whatever sparked her interest. Buffy had some of both in hers and Angel’s house.

Smiling, while trying to get over this momentary fluke of weakness, Buffy said, “Sounds great, mom. Bring me a plate of brownies too, please.” They sounded wonderful to her just then.

When she hung up the phone, Buffy tried to stand and gently made her way across the hallway, to hers and Angel’s bedroom. She tossed on some clothes, a summer dress of bright green, and pulling her damp hair up into a banana clip; she walked to the couch in the living room and sat. Her mom arrived twenty minutes later but she didn’t find Buffy in the living room reading her latest Roswell novel. Instead, she found her in the bathroom, throwing up….

All Joyce could do was sit beside her and after she was through with her bout, smile half-heartedly and say, “How far along are you, Buffy?”

Buffy wiped her mouth with a wet wash rag by the sink, saying quietly, “I’m guessing six weeks.”

Joyce walked to Buffy and took her into her arms saying, “That’s wonderful!”

Buffy hedged on this saying nervously, “Mom…”

Joyce looked at Buffy, trying to figure her out, something that was often hard to do. She asked, “What is it, Buffy?”

Buffy replied solemnly, “Angel doesn’t know about it yet. I just found out myself.”…. What was a Vampire Slayer supposed to do when she found out she was carrying a child? What would Angel say? How would Giles react? Would she still slay or would that be taken from her? Was she even meant to have children? Giles hadn’t spoken of it in the training she went through.

Buffy’s eyes filled with tears and her mother hugged her hearing her cries as she said, “It’ll all work out, Buffy. You’ll see. Sweetie, you are stronger than you know. Everything will be fine.” Joyce hoped that she was speaking the truth….
Last edited by angelrose242000 on Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The truth is out there."

Come nominate your favourites at Crossovers!
Roswell4ever1
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Roswell4ever1 »

A Starry Night

Written by: Angelrose242000

Part Two— Work and Play

Monday, April 26, 2005
Two weeks later….

Amy Brooks, secretary and friend, knocked on the stall that Buffy was currently in that morning, throwing up, and said, “You okay, Buffy?”

Buffy groaned and said, “Oh, yeah. Just finishing up in here. I’ll be right out.” She didn’t know what she was saying, for she found herself retching two more times, before it was done with.

Grabbing a Kleenex from her purse, Buffy wiped her mouth and walked on out of the stall. Amy was standing there with a sympathetic look on her face. Amy was thirty, with strawberry blonde hair and a skinny Barbie figure. Dating again after six months of being alone, Amy was dating Ken from Marketing. She was sweet, Buffy thought.

Buffy hadn’t confessed her pregnancy to a whole lot of people, only her closest friends and family knew. She wanted time to get to Angel first before anyone else found out. Amy knew though. She had found out a week ago when Buffy was in this same position. Buffy had no choice but to agree when Amy asked her. Buffy didn’t want to lie; she just didn’t want to broadcast it. Not yet.

So far she hadn’t had the courage to tell Angel. He had been so busy with his clients and combined with their patrols and her fears it hadn’t come up.
Truthfully, she hadn’t had the confidence and that was above anything else going on for Angel would make time. He was just like that. She wondered and had for the past two weeks why she was so afraid of telling him. The only thing she could come to was the major reason and that being fear that it might come between him and his work. A baby would change things, make patrols even difficult, or maybe the word was challenging. Buffy liked it better when she thought of a precious baby growing inside her--their baby, Angel’s and hers.

Buffy smiled and said, “Sorry. I didn’t mean to worry you.”

Smiling, Amy said, “You didn’t really. I just knew you’d been in here awhile. Mr. Werther has been looking for you.”

Great, Buffy thought. He probably thought she was sluffing. Not liking this, Buffy rinsed her mouth out in the sink and said, “Okay. Thanks.”

Amy asked, “He’s got a computer jam and needs your help.”

Buffy looked upward and said, “He has the same degree as I do.”

Amy giggled and said, “I know.” The joke around the office was that Dan Werther was a computer challenged individual. He had a bachelor’s degree in computers and business and yet he often called Buffy and Ariel, the other consultant, to reboot his computer!

Buffy joked, “What’s the problem?”

Amy said, “A-typical stuff, Buffy. His printer is jammed. Far be it from me to work on it, he doesn’t see me as more than a chic who answers phones. But I guess that is what keeps you a job and me one too.”

Smiling and nodding her head, Buffy said, “You’re right about that. We’re going to need this job more now than ever.”

Amy sighed and said, “Have you told Angel yet?”

Buffy said, “Let’s not go there.” She said agitatedly, while pulling her blonde hair back into a ponytail.

Amy grinned back saying, “Girl, you are going to have to tell him eventually. If he gets mad, kick him to the couch for a month. He’ll come to his senses then.”

Buffy said, “I know….I’m going to tell him. I just need more time.”

They walked out of the bathroom and Amy said, “Well I’m not bossing you around sweetie, just giving advice, but if it were me, I’d have told him when I found out. Better then than if he finds out from a phone call from your doctor’s office.”

Buffy hadn’t thought of this, but said in agreement, “I know. Well, I better go un-jam the boss’s printer.”

She grinned back at Amy and got to work, putting it ahead of her numerous other tasks on an average Monday….

Cordelia was on the phone with her mother, at work, and that was always a challenge. She had called unexpectedly and now wouldn’t take Cordelia’s little hints that she had work to do and would call her back later. Instead, she went into a spiel about Brent, Cordelia’s seventeen-year-old baby brother who refused to come home at a decent time anymore.

Trying again for the third time since on the phone, Cordelia said, “Mom, I know you are upset, but I really need to go. I’m at work! I’ll call you back later and we can talk about this more then.”

Barbara didn’t hear this. She never did! Instead she continued, “Oh, but Cordelia if you only knew what it is like to stay up half the night waiting while your only son who should love you and respect you enough to pick up the phone, refuses to. Then he doesn’t show up until four in the morning. Then I have to worry about my oldest, my only daughter, who continues to live in LA, so far from Sunnydale… Some days I wonder if I’m even thought about, cared for, or appreciated. I was there when you each were born. Do you ever think about that? Of all I did for you?”

Cordelia wanted to ignore this routine speech, but knew it would only get worse if she did. She would respond in a few seconds, when she had time to come up with a response that she would like. Cordelia’s migraine was coming on again as it generally did on phone calls with mom. When she was a girl she would pray her friends didn’t get this side of her mother. She would make up a story of how nice and cool her mother was, when in reality she was a mess! Thankfully Cordelia didn’t have to worry, for her mother rarely saw her friends.

There were times now that she was away from her that she wondered if that made her a snob, to be so ashamed of her mother. This changed when she got on the phone. Then the reasons became clear.
Doyle and Angel came in at this moment. Doyle asked in a whisper, “Who is it, Cordelia?” He could tell she was pained. Clients didn’t do that to her. Only one person could and he guessed who it was.

Cordelia lipped the words, “My mother.” Feeling her misery, Doyle and Angel stepped back out of the room as quietly as possible. They’d gotten stuck on the phone with her too and didn’t want another time of it.

Cordelia loved her mom and her dad. But this was embarrassing. She replied when alone again, “Mom, I do think of what you have done for me, you and dad both.”

Barbara said, “You’re brother sure doesn’t. I’m at my wits end, not knowing what to do about him either. Your dad thinks we should just kick him out. I don’t know…I don’t want to give up on him yet. What do you think Cordelia?”

Cordelia looked at all the paperwork on her desk she had to file yet, thinking that she would rather have this conversation at home, but knowing she’d already said it and she was still on the phone, Cordelia sighed. Taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly, Cordelia replied kindly, “I think you should do whatever seems best, mom. I can’t tell you what to do.” She didn’t want to either. He was her brother, and she was loyal to him to a giant degree.

Barbara replied, “Would you kick him out if he was your son and he hadn’t come home till four in the morning all week and was locking himself in his room the other part of the time? I know he has girls in there too! I’ve heard things at night.”

Cordelia said, “Mom let me put you on hold a second, okay?”

Barbara said, “Alright Cordelia. Do what you need to, sweetheart.”

When she had her mother safely on hold, Cordelia looked around, seeing no client in there as per usual this time of day, and let her emotions out. Screaming loudly, she said, “Ah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Doyle walked in again casually with a folder in his hand of a client of Angel’s and grinned halfway saying, “What’s it about this time?”

Cordelia replied with her eyes large and her hands grabbing his, “Doyle you have to save me! Please! Say I’ve stepped out for the rest of the day and I won’t be back till next Friday. Anything!”

Doyle said, “Cordie I’ll help with anything, you know that. But when it comes to your mother…well…you know I can’t get in that.” She’d keep him on the phone for the next hour. The mental picture of this had Doyle shivering inside.

Angel walked in and said, “I’ll take care of it. Which line is she on?”

Cordelia said, “Line one. Thank you Angel!” She hugged him saying, “I’ll name my first child after you.”

Angel rolled his eyes saying, “I know, I know, after all the others, right?”

Cordelia grinned and said, “Well, you know what I mean.” Angel grinned and said, “I know.”

Taking this moment, Cordelia said, “It’s break time, Angel.” Cordelia walked to Doyle. Doyle said to Angel, “Hey thanks, Angel. We’ll be back in a little while.”

Angel said good-naturedly, “Fine.” He inwardly grimaced as he thought of the job that he’d just willingly offered to do.

Doyle grabbed his keys and black jacket, Cordelia her purse and sweater. Together they left as quickly as possible before either could be stuck talking to Barbara Chase that morning!

Angel pushed the button and said, “Mrs. Chase? This is Angel. Thank you for holding.”

At her confused, “Angel? Wait a minute, I was talking with my daughter, is Cordelia there?”

Angel sat on Cordelia’s chair and said in his charming voice, “She was, Mrs. Chase, but she had to step out for awhile. I’m sure she will call you later.”

Barbara knew when she was being put off, but tried to not show it as she said, “Tell her that I will be calling her tonight. Thank you, Angel.”

Angel felt for Cordelia on moments like these. He had a mother, but she died when he was very young, and he never knew his dad. So he practically raised himself. He would have enjoyed having parents, and ordinarily would have told someone to be thankful, but not Cordelia. He’d witnessed too many conversations gone bad to ever think she was ungrateful. A brat who liked having her way, maybe, but not an ungrateful daughter.

Angel said goodbye hung up the phone. Thinking of Buffy, Angel called her at work. He rarely did that, so he figured it would be okay….

Buffy had been up to her eyeballs in work that day. After fixing the jam in Mr. Werther’s printer, she had her filing to put away and the phones to answer. Not to mention the jobs that she was working on, setting up programs on computers, re-installing computers that were brought in to be fixed. She wasn’t a programmer, per say, but she did install programs and help fix problems.

By ten that morning, she was exhausted. Seated again in her office, Buffy had kept her door partway open to catch calls that maybe Amy may not get in time. As a backup receptionist on occasion, Buffy was able to set up computer appointments as well as Amy. But she didn’t like to unless necessary. Buffy was a behind-the-scenes employee. After working two straight hours and not taking a break except to run and pee because of the load she had on her, she dreaded seeing her phone lighting up red and beeping.

She knew by the fact that it beeped that it was from Amy and not a call. If it had been ringing, she would be answering a client’s call. So she picked up and said, “Hello?”

Amy said, “Yeah, Buffy, you have a phone call. It’s Angel.”

Grateful it was him, Buffy smiled and said, “Thanks.”

She hung up from Amy and pushed the button saying, “I am so glad it is you.”

Angel grinned, chuckled and said, “Me too. Thought I’d call and see how your day was going.”

Buffy ran a hand through her hair and looking around her desk and the clutter she said, “Oh, not good, Angel. Not good.” She broke into a dry laugh that was catching and Angel joined with her.

After they shared this moment, Buffy said, “How is yours going? Or should I ask?” She said with a chuckle. At least she hadn’t lost her sense of humor, Buffy thought.

Angel replied, “You can ask. Up to a few minutes ago, it was average Monday. Then, Barbara Chase called and guess who got stuck talking to her?”

Buffy said, “Oh no. How did you get out of it?”

Angel said with a sigh, “How does anyone? I just made up a half baked story of Cordelia needing to run out for a bit and acted like I was going to take a message that I had no intentions of taking.”

Buffy knew he had done this before so she said, “I feel for you. It sounds like we both should have stayed home today.”

Angel kicked his feet up on the desk, crossing them at the ankle, saying, “Oh it wasn’t that bad, looking back. I’ve dealt with worse. We’ve fought vamps and demons more crazed than her mother. I actually am glad in a way that I was here.”

Buffy said with a smile, “You were Cordelia’s hero once again.”

Angel said, “I could be yours if you want and come up with some lame excuse to get you out for the afternoon.”

Buffy was tempted to say yes, but found herself instead saying, “No…thanks…but I think it will be okay. I got through the first part so I feel sure I can make it through the second. If we can do what we do at night, I can handle a busy Monday.” And a challenged boss, she added to herself.

Buffy hung up from Angel and got back to work. It was fast approaching lunchtime. She just might take off, go to the house, and set the clock. She needed some sleep. It seemed she couldn’t get enough.

Cordelia took the verbal message from Angel that her mother was calling her back. She had dreaded it all afternoon.

Doyle and she left at around 5:15 that afternoon in his black Jag. Driving home, Doyle said, “So what are you gonna do this time about your mother?” Last time she had come up with an excuse of having to cook to get off the phone. To this day, Doyle still didn’t know how it had worked since Cordie didn’t cook. He did the cooking and when he didn’t, they ordered in. So he wondered what she’d do this time.

Cordelia was tired from a long day at work. Often people saw receptionist work to be less stressful, but it wasn’t. It was murder some days. Today had been hectic. She replied quietly, “I’m not sure.”

Doyle was going on his own humor, not thinking really, as he said, “I kinda felt for Angel earlier having to talk to her after we left. He got the bad deal while we got to escape. She’s some piece of work.”

Cordelia didn’t like Doyle’s remarks tonight. Even if her mother was a piece of work, she was still her mother. She shrugged it off though as total exhaustion on both their parts making him careless and her cross. They parked the car in the garage and walked into the apartment. The phone was ringing when they got inside.

Cordelia reached for it, giving Doyle a dirty look as he said, “Here we go.”

“Hello? Hi mom. How are you?” It was an opening and she knew it, but right then, Cordelia was working hard to be nice. For some reason, Doyle’s comments however much valid hit her wrong tonight.

Barbara said sweetly, “I heard you left early. You could have told me that, sweetie and I would have called back later today. But it doesn’t matter, I am just glad to talk to you.”

Cordelia tried to look at the thoughtfulness and not the constant calls, as she said, “Me too, mom. Was your afternoon any better?”

Barbara went into her usual about Brent and how he was, about her dad and the messy house, and then she finished about what a wonderful daughter Cordelia was.

Cordelia took it all in stride tonight, saying, “I think Brent should be considerate and call you and let you guys know something. As for the house, don’t pick it up, mom. Leave it for a week and they will start picking it up. Doyle helps out around here. I don’t have to do all the work myself, thank the Lord because I don’t know that I could keep up as busy as we are at work.”

She got off the phone short of two hours. Looking at Doyle she said more reasonably, “She just needed someone to talk to. She wasn’t as bad this time around.”

Doyle felt bad for berating her mother like that so he said, “Sorry if I sounded rude about your mother. I know she is someone very special to you, Cordelia.”

Cordelia said, “She gets on my nerves, but I love her. Thanks. I’m sorry too if I came across badly earlier.”

Doyle walked to her and taking her face into his hands, pulling her close to him, he said, “The day is over.” She smiled and running her hands up his chest, around his neck, said, “Yeah, it is. I’m glad to be home.”

Doyle began unbuttoning Cordelia’s blouse as he said, “So am I.” In seconds, blouse, slacks, and panties were at the floor with slacks and dress shirt and boxers. Cordelia’s last thoughts before submitting to the heat of the moment was she was glad to have Doyle in her life—Doyle, the only one who could prove to her that she wasn’t so tired after all.

Buffy met Angel out in the parking lot that evening, following work. She walked into his arms saying, “Hey.” Angel said, “ Hey Buffy.” He tilted her chin up and kissed her passionately. Angel always had the ability to make Buffy want to forget everything that could be bothering her, by being in his arms. Now, the day and its atrocities was gone and in its place was a warm loving husband to go home with. Buffy and Angel went home in Angel’s convertible.

Pushing the button on the answering machine, Angel listened to familiar calls from friends and one from Buffy’s mom. One call caught Angel's attention as it came from the clinic where Buffy went to for female reasons. She didn’t say a lot on the phone, but gave an indication about an appointment.

Angel went about his taking off his shoes and jacket and said dismissively to Buffy who had immediately gone to their bedroom to change into comfy after work clothes “There’s a message for you, Buffy from your mom.”

Buffy nearly groaned saying, “Okay. I’ll call her after bit. She’s probably wanting to know what to bring to dinner on Friday.”

Angel said, “Probably. It doesn’t matter to me what she brings, all her food is good.”

Buffy smiled and said, “Mom’s always been a good cook. Any other calls?”

Angel said a bit curious, “Just one. From the clinic you go to for female things.”

Buffy smiled a that terminology saying, “Oh. Okay. I’ll call them back at work tomorrow.”

Angel said, “Is something wrong?” They shared everything, including doctor appointments, so it was odd that he knew nothing about it. He didn’t want to sound bossy or interrogative, but was…well…curious.

Buffy tried to be carefree about it as she said, “It’s nothing, Angel. Just a routine visit.” It was. A routine pregnancy visit.

Angel would have picked up on her nervousness if he weren’t so tired from a long day himself. They spent the evening together eating supper and watching TV.

It wasn’t until late that Monday night as they lay in bed when Angel awoke hearing her crying, that Angel said, “What’s wrong, Buffy?”

Buffy turned to him, naked in bed, and said, “Oh Angel…I didn’t mean to wake you up.”

Angel sat up on one elbow and looking into Buffy’s blue eyes he said, “Well that doesn’t matter. What is it?”

He touched her face as if to make the pain go away.

Buffy smiled, touching his cheek, then lowering her lashes, said, “Angel, I’ve done something I never thought I’d do. I’ve kept a secret from you.” Buffy felt tears falling.

Angel lifted her face with his fingers and said, “Don’t cry, Buffy. Whatever it is, we will work through it.”

Buffy looked into Angel’s eyes and said, “I’m pregnant, Angel.”

Initial shock caused Angel to be speechless. Buffy took it to be a bad sign. She said, “I know, I’m not good for timing.”

Angel smiled suddenly and pulling Buffy closer said, “Buffy why would I see something as wonderful as you carrying my child as bad timing?”

Buffy smiled now and said, “You’re not upset? You’re happy about this?”

Angel wiped Buffy’s tears and running a hand to her stomach he said, “Buffy, I couldn’t be happier.” His eyes became teary and Buffy moved forward and accepted his warm kisses. She didn’t know what Giles would think but tonight it didn’t matter.

They spent the night together celebrating the excitement and joy of a future that would include a baby boy or girl….
angelrose242000
Enthusiastic Roswellian

A Starry Night
A Sequel to A Rose in the Darkness

Disclaimer: I own NOTHING!!! Nada! Zip!

Part Three—I Said What?

Friday, June 30, 2005
At the Family Clinic…

Dr. Wagner turned to a sprawled out Buffy on the table and Angel and said, “Well, Buffy, everything looks really good. You are at your eighteenth week now. How are you feeling?”

Buffy said, “I’m fine. Actually, I’m feeling great. I finally got past my morning sickness and am still able to do my job, so I couldn’t be better.”

Angel didn’t agree. He wasn’t going to argue her sadly inaccurate description of working late hours at the office then patrolling till mid morning to the doctor. He might get suspicious of what all Buffy did. That would be a problem. So Angel bit his tongue and let this go on. Giving Buffy long looks of disagreement behind the doctor’s back, Angel bid his time.

When they were on the way home, however, he said to Buffy, “Buffy, I think we both know you aren’t doing so well.”

Buffy had been down this road with Angel before so she recognized the start of it. She let out a deep breath and said, “Angel we’re not going there again are we?”

In between watching the road and LA traffic as it approached noon, Angel said, “I’m concerned about you, Buffy. I’m not trying to fight. You work all day at the office, then patrol through the week till very late. You’re not sleeping. It can’t be good on you or the baby.”

Buffy hated it when Angel was right. But this time he was. She hadn’t been sleeping because she was overdoing it. But what could she do about it? She turned to Angel and said, “Okay, so what? Do I quit my job? Because I can’t quit patrolling.”

Angel knew this conversation was already becoming heated and he wasn’t up to haggling both murderous traffic and Buffy’s stubbornness, so he pulled to the nearest parking lot that was vacant and turning off the engine, he turned to Buffy and said, “Why can’t you?”

Buffy said snappily, “Why can’t I what?” She was stressed and nobody liked a stressed Buffy. Especially these days when her emotions were out of whack.

Angel pushed up his shades and said, “Quit patrolling? Why can’t you quit?”

Buffy said, “Because I am the slayer. If I don’t patrol then LA and Sunnydale become infested with vampires and other criminals. They depend on me, Angel to help. Just like they do you.”

Angel backed off saying, “Okay. I was only giving my opinion.”

At the silence, Buffy said, “If I could, I would get rid of some of the things that are taking all of my time, but I don’t see how right now. I haven’t even told Giles about this yet.”

Angel said, “Yeah, that’s another thing. Don’t you think he needs to know? He has been a part of your family for years, Buffy. And he might have some helpful ideas about what to expect during this pregnancy. Since you are the slayer.”

Buffy caught the slight edge in Angel’s tone, and said, “I get it. I will talk with Giles, this weekend. I just haven’t decided how I’m going to do it yet. It scares me what he is going to say.”

Angel touched Buffy’s hand and said, “Most likely congratulations. I can go with you, Buffy if you want.”

Buffy said, “Thank you. I might have you come with me.” She needed all the support she could get facing Giles with such news as this!

Oh if she could only wait another month. If Giles wasn’t so serious all the time…if things weren’t so complicated in her life…Buffy knew these were all futile wishes. Her life wasn’t meant to be simple. It was part of the legacy—woman with title of slayer meant for big things! This had a smile coming to her face and the drive home much more enjoyable for them both….

Buffy and Angel went home that Friday and changed clothes just in time to hear the answering machine beeping. It was Willow. Buffy went and pushed the button and heard Willow’s request. At the sound of her telling her she needed to get to Sunnydale, Buffy said, “Guess I don’t get to watch Raymond tonight.” Angel grabbed his machete and handed Buffy her steaks and said, “Ready?” They took back off moments after hearing the message on the machine….

By six thirty, Buffy and Angel were in Sunnydale. Willow had suggested they meet in the cemetery. So the two met Willow and the others, including Giles, there tonight. Buffy looked at Willow and said, “What’s going on, Willow?”

Willow said, “Buffy, you know I wouldn’t call, but Giles has been doing some research and ever since the murders of Jamie Tompkins and Renae Zilwaker among countless others, people got scared…and well…we needed you.”

Buffy said, “I’m glad you did.” Angel said, “So am I.”

Xander spotted Angel and said, “Hope we weren’t interrupting.” His voice sounded as sarcastic and contemptuous as it was meant to. He still had a tough time picturing Angel and Buffy together…married. In his mind, Xander had held a long torch for Buffy that had mellowed over time, but was still in back corners of his mind. His heart would always hold a soft spot for Buffy…

Angel understood Xander’s feelings, having been apart from Buffy for a while before they got together. Angel knew the fears of never seeing Buffy again, as Xander must feel, of never believing Angel would be together with Buffy again. He got that part. But after eight years, Xander needed to move on. His quips with Angel were old. So he said, “You got us as we walked into the house, so it wasn’t a big deal.”

Xander said, “Oh. Well it’s a good thing we weren’t in a fire. Buffy would be an hour away. We know you’d have her right here, though don’t we Angel?”

Angel moved forward toward Xander saying, “What’s the deal, Xander?”

Xander moved forward with Angel saying, “Nothing that makes a damn bit of difference. Yet it somehow keeps me riled and ready for a fight. Go figure.”

Buffy eyed Giles and the others and finally said, “Come on guys. I thought we were here to defend Sunnydale.”

Both men shouted, “We are!”

Knowing there was nothing she could do, Buffy walked next to Willow and they watched the scene unfolding.

Angel said, “I’m ready for a fight Xander if that is what you’re after.”

Xander was inches from Angel now as he said, “Come on then. I’m not afraid of a 300 year old ex-vampire with bad breath and a funky hair style.”

Angel picked Xander up by the collar where they were eye to eye. One looked just as determined as the other to do some mega damage.

Suddenly, though, Angel felt the fire that was in him to kick Xander’s butt leaving him. He saw, really saw, and knew it was a mere jealousy that hadn’t quite left yet. But he did shove him back and say, “This has gone on long enough, Xander. I don’t want to fight you over Buffy.”

They both knew Angel would win and Xander would lay in the floor motionless. But Xander wasn’t about to let anyone here know that. So he said, “Whatever.”

Angel rolled his eyes and walked back to Buffy. She gave Angel a long look that said they were going to discuss it later. Then she walked to Xander and said, “Thanks for the concern, Xander. You will always be my friend.” Xander took it in stride as he had countless times before and they got ready to steak out the place.

Suddenly the awaiting vamps appeared from behind, momentarily startling the gang. The fight became heated and Willow and Giles found themselves struggling, while Buffy, Angel and Xander whipped butt. Finally, they helped the other two out and won the battle. The six gruesome green and purple vampires were dust in minutes.

Time seemed to escape them as they all stood in the cemetery amidst nasty brown smoke from the undead. But Angel did recognize something—Xander’s help in the fight. Walking to him, Angel said, “Hey, Xander.”

Xander went on the defensive holding up his fists saying, “Want a match with me now that you’ve got her adrenaline moving, Angel? Cause I’m not afraid of taking a round with you. Let’s go.”

Angel was tired, but he didn’t want to leave Sunnydale without saying his peace so he said, “You can put those down, Xander. I’m not in a fighting mood.”

Xander said, “Ah…Since when? I thought it was second nature to you with your warrior skills in LA.”

Angel said, “Forget it. I thought we could talk, but I guess that is out. I’ll catch you later.”

Xander said, “Is that a threat or a guarantee?”

Angel just walked away with Buffy, heading off to Giles’s place to talk. Willow walked to Xander with her hands crossed over chest, prepared to give him the lashing of his life!

One could hear her saying, “How could you be that cold to Angel? He was only trying to be nice.” Xander’s reply of, “Angel isn’t capable of nice.” Was only retaliated with a ten-minute lecture of how he could be and that Xander was being a butt!

At Giles’s….

Giles was about to shut his door when he spotted Angel’s convertible pulling up into his driveway. He shook his head and yelled out, “I thought you two were headed back to LA.”

Buffy and Angel walked up the drive arms around each other. Angel said, “Can’t leave yet, Giles. We have something to tell you.”

Giles said, “Oh why does that sound like catastrophic words to my ears?” He grinned though and welcomed both Buffy and Angel inside.

Buffy looked up at Angel then at Giles as they entered the house. Her nervousness was there again and she was suddenly thinking about dismissing it for now. But eventually he would find out. It was June and despite the fact that it was odd to see her in anything but low riding jeans or jean shorts and today she was wearing a jumper, the thing that really meant something was the fact that her round belly was being covered by it. But soon it wouldn’t be. Giles had to know the truth.

After thinking about it, Buffy admitted that Angel was right on thinking that Giles might have ideas about this pregnancy. She wanted to know if he did. Giles walked with them into the kitchen and sat in a chair, asking, “What’s going on?”

Buffy and Angel went to another couple of chairs. Angel began to shake off his overcoat. Buffy thumbed the table with her fingers. Giles began to sweat. He said, “Well do I need to guess before you will tell me anything? Buffy you know I despise guessing games.”

Buffy accepted Angel’s hand of encouragement, looking into his eyes and smiling, then turning to Giles she said, “Giles what I have to say is going to surprise you…I think anyway.” Giles nodded his head trying to work it out of Buffy. His headache was returning.

She said, “I’m…pregnant.”

Giles’s shocked expression from one to the other changed into a warm smile as he said, “That’s wonderful, Buffy, Angel.”

Angel said, “There is one problem.”

Giles took a drink of his tea he’d got before sitting down and grinning said, “Only one?”

Buffy said, “So far.”

Giles said, “Well don’t leave me wondering. What is it?”

Angel looked at Buffy and she said with her eyes for him to go on. He said, “Buffy’s been working all day, then patrolling half the night. Her sleeplessness is growing. I suggested she quit her job…or leave off awhile on patrolling.”

Buffy said, “I told him I couldn’t stop slaying.”

Giles said, “Why not?”

Buffy had not expected this. She expected him to agree with her. Seeing both men agreeing on this point had her eyes enlarging, then saying, “Have the two of you lost it?” When neither said much except passing grins of male pride of a baby coming to each other, Buffy turned and attempted to speak with Giles.

Buffy said intensely, “Giles! I’m the slayer. Me! Like I told Angel, it is impossible for me to shirk that. I could go part-time at work. Then I wouldn’t be so tired…I think.”

Angel said, “You want to know what I think, Giles, I think she’s got a problem with giving the reigns over to someone else.” Buffy nearly smacked Angel until she saw his smile. She said, “Maybe I do. I worked too long and too hard to say I can’t handle it. Giles, come on, you have to know what I mean by this. You trained me.”

Giles didn’t like being put in the middle, but he had to say, “Well…Buffy, it is true. The legacy of Slayer is yours. But there is a time when you have to get help.”

Buffy rubbed her temples saying, “Okay…Giles, does it say in the books that I am supposed to hand over the name of slayer to another if I get pregnant?”

Giles said, “Maybe not handing it over, but keeping it as a back up for an assistant. You had others who helped before, you know. And it worked out well with at least one of them.”

Buffy remembered too well. So did Angel. He said, “Okay, maybe that isn’t a good idea. Faith was a bitch.”

Buffy said, “I nearly lost Angel to one slayer, Giles. I won’t chance it again.” At Giles’s near mention of the change in Angel, she said, “Even if, Giles. It doesn’t change my feelings.”

Giles took another drink of his tea and said, “Give me a few days to go searching the sites on Slayers and Pregnancy. I’ll get back with you on it and then we can elaborate more on ways to help. Meantime, it might not be a bad idea to take some time off.”

Buffy grimaced over this, saying, “I’ll try. But I just took vacation two months ago. Mr. Werther isn’t too willing to just let people take off without good reason.”

Angel said, “I would think this is a good reason, Buffy.”

Buffy said, “You don’t know Mr. Werther.”

Giles said, “Be persuasive and remember one thing. Mr. Werther may be a boss in an office but he isn’t the end to everything. And he doesn’t know what you are capable of if he doesn’t take what you say literally.”

Buffy grinned and said, “Is this the moment I’ve been waiting on? Are you actually telling me I can whip someone’s butt because I don’t like how they are as a person?”

Giles stammered and started using protocol again when Buffy said, “It’s okay, Giles. You don’t have to worry. I’m not going to dismember him. I wouldn’t even if it was allowed. I don’t work that way.” Giles said, “That’s good, Buffy.”
Buffy was however going to let Mr. Werther know of her pregnancy and her need to take a few days off. If he liked it fine, if he didn’t fine. She needed the rest.

Angel and Buffy left that night and headed home, each determined to spend the rest of the weekend with each other, outside a work place. Other things awaited when they got home however. The house was a wreck, windows broken. Doyle pounded on the door moments after they showed up adding unintentional insult to injury saying the worst news Buffy or Angel wanted to hear…Cordelia was missing and their apartment was a wreck too….

TBC….

angelrose242000
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Part Four--Cruel Intentions

A Starry Night

Disclaimer: I own NOTHING!!!

Part Four—Cruel Intentions

Cordelia awoke with a scare, feeling her arms constricted, held tight with some rope that she couldn’t loose. The room was in darkness illuminated only by torches hung on the upper corners of the room. This let her know she was in a cave or a badly wrecked shack. The walls surrounding her, caging her even more, were covered with pitted marks and spots and sporadic holes making it appear more like a canvas painting with mars and flaws than any walls. Cordelia began to shiver and felt true fears of being sucked in—now she knew for sure what it meant to be claustrophobic!

It seemed she was alone, but her voice couldn’t be contained. She found herself hollering, “You can’t keep me in here!” At the sound of footsteps moving toward her, Cordelia thought to herself, Great, Cordie, just let whoever this is know you are awake. He probably will try to eat you or suck your blood!

Nothing Cordelia could have pictured in her mind of the makings of a demonic creature could have even come close to the visage of the large and very tall monster with big sharp teeth and claws! Not to mention the fact that he was holding a very large weapon that resembled something Angel would carry on his patrols! He was coming right at her!

Damn my big mouth! She thought as she tried futilely to inch further back against the wall—or whatever it was she was attached to—so to protect herself.

Was he grinning? He reminded her of the big bad wolf coming in for the kill. Damn it! Damn it! Why couldn’t Buffy be here with her?

Not wishing to dwell on that, Cordelia said, “Look, you have made a mistake kidnapping me. I have a very large, very powerful boyfriend that will personally kick your butt. And that isn’t including Angel, the protector of LA. When he gets through with you, you’re gonna wish you’d left me at home!” As she saw her words were not detracting the venomous pile of dung from coming toward her, Cordelia tossed pride and yelled, “Help!”

He laughed! Actually laughed at her! Cordelia’s fears became anger. She fought with all she had to get loose then decided on a different plan…

“You have awakened just in time, missy. We are going to have some fun.” He snarled.

Cordelia said, “You bet we are!” All her years of kickboxing put into motion, Cordelia wracked the guy, sending him to the floor in agony.

When he tried to get up, Cordelia smiled and said, “Oh, are we coming back for more? You see, one thing you don’t know about me is that I’m a kick boxing champion. You might want to reconsider this move and let me go.”

Coughing, the piteous vagabond said, “Can’t let you go. You’re being held for a greater purpose…”

Cordelia eyed him doubtfully saying, “Oh and what is that? To kick your butt?”

Suddenly the door opened not really surprising Cordelia as she’d been in a holdup position before—with Buffy strange as that was, back in school. She gave a once over, checking out the one on the right who appeared human, dressed in slacks and a red shirt, then catching his grin to his buddy on the left, caught his fangs. Great! I’m dealing not only with monsters from hell but vampires too! What was this, a lair?

Not about to show fear, Cordelia said, “Oh goodie. More to sport with. Come on. Show me what you’ve got.” Have I completely lost my mind?! Cordelia Chase you have finally flipped out! She told herself even as she held a face of disgust and confidence as they headed her way.

Monster number one was walking back to his buddies now.

Hey! She thought. If I can handle working under a slayer and a warrior for ten years—rounded—then I sure as hell can deal with four creatures of the night! My hands being tied will cause a problem, but I can still kick butt with my feet—and my teeth! And she would.

In front of Cordelia was the first monster with claws and to his right Monster Buddy number two dressed in purple with a long tail behind him and a blade in his hands. To the far right was a gruesome girl with fangs and her beloved boyfriend who also was blessed with the damn things. They all looked hideous and were moving toward Cordelia with no fears, just determination to cause her to pee her pants.

It hadn’t worked.

If anything, Cordelia was more determined to win and if that meant kicking them all across the room with her feet then she’d do it!

Okay so she was a tad afraid. She needed her hands to help fight these guys. Moving her hands against the rough wall, Cordelia got one hand free. Then the other. She felt the blood dripping felt a stinging sensation and looked down in time to see the cuts on her hands, but didn’t pay any attention to it. She braced herself for the fight of her life….

Doyle, Angel and Buffy drove down the streets of the suburb they lived in at a break-neck speed. After finding out about Cordelia, they grabbed their weapons and headed out in Angel’s convertible. Doyle was in no frame of mind to drive. In fact, Doyle was a nervous wreck and had been talking about Cordelia for the past hour. He said, “This is freaky. I don’t know where she is and I can’t protect her. She could be beaten, starving, and worse. There isn’t a damn thing I can do not knowing who’s taken her and where.”

Angel said, “Doyle we will find her.”

Buffy added, “Angel’s right, Doyle. Whoever has her won’t for long.”

Doyle said, “We don’t know what we’re up against even.”

Angel said, “Whoever this creep is doesn’t know what he’s up against, Doyle. I’ll bet he’s never went up against a warrior or a slayer before.”

Buffy said, “Yeah and he’s about to face both.”
Angel saw a broken shack and taking in the signs said, “I think this is our boys hideout. Ready?”

Buffy said, “You bet. Doyle? You gonna be okay going in there?”

Doyle was ready to kill. He said, “They have my girl. They don’t know what they’re messing with now.” His uncertainties about what had Cordelia were gone forever.

So the three parked the convertible by two bushes and walked to the front door of the darkened building. Angel didn’t bother with knocking—he opened the door and they walked inside.

Inside, Cordelia had leveled two of the creatures but was working on the third and fourth—the vampires. The girl was grinning at her being careless enough that Cordelia decked her, sending her to the floor. She was distracted though from the sounds of someone calling her name. She finally recognized it as Doyle. She called back, “Doyle! I’m in here!” She didn’t know where this room was in the place, but damn it sounded good! Maybe he’d hear her voice and head toward it. That was her hope anyway.

Suddenly as if taking advantage of Cordelia’s momentary lapse in the fight, Joe Vampire came up behind and held her against him saying seething, “You’re done now, girlie.” Cordelia said, “You think so huh?” She was about to kick him in the shins from behind when she felt a sharp pound to her temple…a definite sting to her neck.

Cordelia felt the room becoming swishy and blurry then totally going into nothingness….

Doyle and Angel pounded into the room and saw its empty shell. Doyle said, “Where is she?” He got into Angel’s face and said, “Where Angel?!”

Angel would have laughed over this any other time as he had done times before. But now, he only felt compassion. Doyle was scared. He had no control over this, he had no knowledge of a damn thing because someone else had the cards, the strings, and was playing them all for a cruel ride. Whoever it was had cruel intentions to do harm to them in different ways from the petty break ins to a more serious crime, kidnapping Cordelia, an innocent victim.

At that moment all Angel felt was a need to get a hold of these things—whatever they were—he really didn’t care what they were or how big—so he could pummel them and get Cordelia to safety. He didn’t have a love interest in her, but a human interest to see her back at Doyle’s and where she should be, away from this mess!

Buffy smelled the air and said, “This is definitely a lair of vamps and sickos. I just can’t picture…”

Then they heard the faint but real shout of Cordelia. The thought process changed and they headed toward her voice. Somehow they would get her out if it was the last thing they did….

The house was full of webs, broken wood, shards of glass and other atrocities. They didn’t’ know where they were headed, it was pitch black and the room smelled of death of destruction. Of a place that may have once been decent but was now a hollowed down stick house.

Hearing Cordelia’s cries changed tactics and Doyle started, “Cor…” Angel said, “Let’s not be too showy. The element of surprise can be in our favor.”
Doyle nodded, reasoning this and knowing it was probably true. But he still wanted her to know she was safe so he said, “She is alone in there with who knows what, Angel. Shouldn’t she be aware that we are here to save her?”

Buffy sympathized and said, “She will, Doyle. When we get in there and put an end to this she will.”

Buffy stood and said before they could open the door to the room they guessed Cordelia to be in, “Something’s not right. This has been too easy….”

Suddenly a cluster of creatures came behind them and started attacking. Buffy and Angel and Doyle fought back. Buffy kicked butt saying, “You people never learn. You keep messing with me and thinking you are going to win, but you don’t.”
She proceeded to whip them then slay them. The vampires were easy to kill.
Angel handled the other monsters.

Doyle fought the last and sliced him with his sword. Then they headed to the door of the room. Doyle whispered, “Cordie we’re here…”

Cordelia had been drugged. It was the only explanation for being taken so easily to this room. Looking down she saw her outfit was torn and she was held back again by a stronger rope this time. She gave daggers to the vamps and the crudely built leader and said, “You people are sick!” She attempted to kick at them, which earned her a doubled up fist to her face.

She’d already had a half a dozen slaps and punches so she spit the blood out of her mouth and said, “You can beat me up all night and it still won’t change the fact that you are in bad need of help! Let me go!”

Tazaar, the gruesome leader, looked at her and said, “You are funny.” He laughed and the others who followed him joined in.

Disgusted, Cordelia said, “I’m so damn glad I amuse you. Now if you know what’s good for you you’ll let me go.”

Tazaar said, “But it is fun watching you squirm and fight even though it is pointless. You have to know by now that you aren’t going to be let go. The fact is, you are going to die tonight.”

Cordelia struggled with her wrists some more and sneered, “You are so confident. How do you know that my boyfriend isn’t on his way to kill you? Huh?”

Laughing harder, Tazaar said, “Because I have patrols too sweetheart and they blockade each room of this place. Your boyfriend will be chopped liver by the time they are finished with him. I will get the pleasure of seeing him decapitated before dawn. So will you if I let you live that long.”

Cordelia asked, “So you come into our house, you destroy it, then kidnap me. For what purpose?”

Tazaar looked at his children and said, “You are entertainment for me darling. You’re beautiful, headstrong and a fighter. That is exciting to me. So I will get my fill of watching you, then go after what I really want.”

Cordelia swallowed the bile that had formed over this and said, “What is that?”

Tazaar said easily, “The slayer of course.”

Cordelia laughed and said, “You’re in the wrong city, buddy. She patrols in Sunnydale, not LA.”

Tazaar moved in to Cordelia and hit her again saying, “You treat me like I’m stupid. I know for a fact the slayer has been living here for years. She is a threat to me to my friends. We will see her dead.”

Cordelia said, “You’re going to have a hell of a fight then because to get to her you have to go through Angel and he isn’t against cutting your nasty throat if he thinks its necessary. You better have a plan B.”

Grinning, Tazaar said, “Oh I do. If he gets in my way there is always you. I’ll threaten to kill you if he doesn’t give me the slayer.”

Cordelia giggled then saying, “You think he would choose me over Buffy? You don’t’ know Angel.”

Tazaar said, “Oh but I do. I know Angel well enough to know that he is a protector. He likes helping people,” this was said with disgust on his part. Tazaar added, “Don’t’ ask me why. But he does. So he will go along with it.”

Cordelia knew he would, but damn it, this cretin wasn’t supposed to know that! She said, “Fine. But I am not about to play along for your sick enjoyment. So you’ll have to watch me, as I stay here motionless. Which for you is worse than speaking. I will not go quietly into the dark night!”

Tazaar said, “Huh?” Okay it sounded ludicrous, but Cordelia was upset and when she was, things flew out of her mouth. Often they made no sense but they strengthened her anyway.

Cordelia shut her mouth and didn’t’ say anything more. And she was right. It did cause this jerk to look sour. She was glad. At least she’d have this pleasure before taking her last breath! It felt like an eternity of standing and not saying a word, but Cordelia wasn’t about to give in. This was hard because she loved to talk. She sat and nearly dozed off, listening the sickening sounds of the villains joking and plotting. Whatever it was she was sure her death was a part of it.

Somehow, Cordelia felt that Doyle was here. So were Angel and Buffy. They just hadn’t reached the room yet. If she could just hold on…

Doyle and Angel pounded on the door to the sounds of monsters groaning on the floor around them and finally after realizing it was bolted shut came up with another plan. Doyle grabbed his crowbar and rasped the door with it numerous times. Finally getting ahead, they managed to get the door open somewhat. Enough to see Cordelia dozing with her pretty head on a ceramic post. Her hands were tightly held behind her back. Blood was dropping to the dirty wood floor. Doyle and Angel knew it and so did Buffy.

Buffy said, “Let me in there.” She karate kicked the door the rest of the way, blowing to hell the element of surprise.

The creatures spotted the three of them and lunged at them!

They were wasted in less than ten minutes. Then as Doyle went after Cordelia to let her go, Angel and Buffy went after Tazaar. Tazaar was unafraid of them so he said cocksurely, “Come on you two. I’ve been waiting for this moment.”

Tazaar stood tall and doubled the height of Angel and came at them with his powerful hand grenade. Ducking, Angel and Buffy let the grenade pass them and noticed that Doyle had already gotten Cordelia free and they too were ducked to the floor. The wall behind them as well as all others in this shack were left with a giant hole. The weapon landed in an old once-upon-a-time café.

The next thing they knew the whole café building had exploded, as did the walls around them. The smells were horrid and Buffy leaned into Angel’s chest to rid the odor from breathing any of it in. So did Cordelia with Doyle. After the smoke left, the group stood and looking at Tazaar Angel said with a grin he couldn’t deny, “Now, what else do you have up your sleeves? Or is this the best you’ve got? It’s okay, really, if it is. I’ve seen lamer attempts.”

Tazaar lunged forward and Angel met him fighting. He shoved Angel back; Angel came back again and pushed him up against the wall behind where Tazaar had sat. Tazaar tried to jab Angel with his blade. Angel was faster. He ended the bad Tazaar with one swipe of his machete to his midsection, another to his neck. He lit a match on his boot and set the creature on fire so he wouldn’t ever come back to fight again—just in case. Angel liked finality.

Meanwhile, Buffy staked the other vamps that attempted to come in while the fight was carrying on with Angel and Tazaar. Doyle fought with Cordelia who sent more than a few to their knees with her kickboxing. Angel and Buffy finished them off.

Exhausted, the four double-checked the other rooms for any signs of nightly creatures. Seeing none, as they had wiped the place out in defense of trying to find Cordelia, the group left and felt relief. Buffy said, “That was a long night’s work.”

Doyle looked at Buffy and said, “But a good one. I have Cordie back again.”

Cordelia leaned into Doyle, saying sleepily, “Are we home yet?” He said, “Not yet sweetheart. Not yet.” Angel drove them to their apartment and they cleaned it up, finding really nothing missing. A CD and movie were gone, but they could be replaced.

Though Cordelia did have to ask, “Since when do vampires and cretins watch movies and listen to music?”

Shaking their heads, they dismissed it and after seeing they were safe, Buffy and Angel went home. All four went to bed shortly after that, though with weapons by their beds. After a night like tonight, it was easy to fall asleep….

angelrose242000
Enthusiastic Roswellian

A Starry Night

Disclaimer I own NOTHING!!!!

Part FiveComplications

Monday, July 10, 2005
A sunny summer day at 4 PM…

Buffy drove to Angel’s office. Her mind wasn’t on the road. It was on Giles’s message when he called today. He had answers. Things she and Angel needed to know about the pregnancy. Nothing that said Angel would go bad or she would, but enough that made Buffy want to know…enough that made her tell Mr. Werther she needed to leave an hour early. Enough she didn’t hesitate to pull into the driveway and park, grab her purse, lock up, and speed walk across pavement in heels and a royal blue skirt set to the front door.

She said into the silver cell phone she was talking on, “I’m at Angel’s office, Giles. We’ll be by later. Giles?” Giles answered, “Yeah?” Buffy finished slowly, “Thanks….” And she pushed the end button before closing the phone.

Opening the door, she met a smiling faced Cordelia and said with a smile of her own, “Hey, Cordelia. How are you?”

Cordelia sat behind the desk, a picture of a true hard worker with organized files and everything in its place. When it came to the woman though, she was casual today. Her brown hair was down along her shoulders and her shirt a red tank top with a matching blue jean skirt that Doyle swore was good enough for him. She recalled grinning with him and telling him that it was flirty, that it showed too much of her in a work setting. She recalled also what followed. The excitement and joy of being whisked up into Doyle’s strong arms, and after a nice morning gift of bringing in the sunshine with Doyle making love beneath a canopy with the sounds of early birds singing outside the bedroom window. It was so easy to be persuaded that what she was wearing to work was just fine. She had come to work confidently over this. Angel had lifted his brows, but said no more. Cordelia saw it as typical Angel on a Monday morning before coffee. She had worked throughout the day answering phones and putting it out of her mind how she was dressed—thinking only of getting off at five and spending her evening with Doyle. He was taking her out to dinner.

Now, though, as she saw Buffy dressed so formally, Cordelia blushed and said, “I’m fine…Buffy…How are you?”

Buffy shirked out of her jacket and was in a blue tank top and skirt. She smiled. She said, “Does that help?”

Cordelia grinned and said, “Blame Doyle. He seemed to think I looked…how was it he put it this morning? Oh yes, Cordie, I don’t care how Angel or anyone reacts, I think you look hot and perfectly sophisticated for work. I feel like a slut compared to how you’re dressed.”

She should have gone with instincts, Cordelia thought. But she did like the outfit…

Buffy said, “I think you’re dressed fine. Who says a secretary or receptionist has to dress the same as another? A blue jean skirt set looks nice on you with your figure and your personality. You are no slut, Cordelia.”

Doyle walked in then and said, “Who’s not a slut?”

Buffy grinned at Cordelia as she stood moving around her desk to Doyle. She looked up into his eyes and said, “It’s girl talk, Doyle.” Doyle shuddered as he said, “Bad time to come in then.”

Buffy smiled and thought how glad she was that Cordelia and Doyle were finally together. She had heard how long it took and she was happy for the both of them. She said, “Nope. It was perfect timing. I’m in search of a tall dark brooding man who goes by the name of Angel.”

Doyle said, “He’s in his office. You’ll have to wait in line though. He’s got a caller that won’t get off the phone for nothing—it isn’t even a help call, it’s someone trying to sell something.”

Buffy said, “And he hasn’t brushed them off? I do it all the time at work.”
Cordelia said, “So do I.”

Doyle said, “Women must have an easier time of it than men. It is next to impossible with some of them callers.”

Buffy gave Doyle a once over look and said slightly miffed, “If I wasn’t a good friend of yours and Cordelia’s, I’d show you how sorry you could be saying something that low, Doyle.”

Doyle looked to Cordelia but even she was crossing her arms and frowning.

Doyle lifted his hands saying helplessly, “What?”

Buffy shook her head grinning now as she walked in search of Angel. She said to Cordelia as Cordelia walked her to the office, “Men!”

Cordelia said, “Tell me about it. But we can’t live without them.”

Buffy said, “Ain’t that the truth?”

The two girls laughed then Cordelia turned to Doyle in the next room. Buffy knocked and entered her man’s office….

Angel and Buffy hurried over to Giles’s house not long after Buffy convinced him to get off the phone. She wrote a note pitifully saying, “Giles has info about pregnancy.”

He quickly found a way off the phone then! Man and all! He clicked the phone and said, “Let’s go.”

She hid her grin and kept her conversation with Cordelia about men a secret. No need to pick on Angel, not when they had more important things to find out. Picking on him was fun but it would wait.

They drove the few blocks to Giles’s. Parking, Angel and Buffy walked up the driveway and knocked. Giles answered in his slacks and white dress shirt. He had left early too.

He said, “Come in…come in.”

They followed him inside and held hands as they walked to the kitchen.

Giles grabbed two Pepsi’s from the fridge then handing them to Angel and Buffy sat at the table with them and his tea and said, “So…this isn’t bad news guys.”

Buffy turned to Angel and they said together, “We aren’t worried, Giles.” Almost in unison!

Giles said, “Uh-huh.” Sure they weren’t. That was why they were looking at each other every few seconds with dread in their eyes. But he didn’t say that. He didn’t want to make them feel worse.

Buffy said, “What did you learn?”

Giles grabbed his files off the table and handed them over to Buffy and Angel saying, “Yours is a unique case, Buffy. To be pregnant as a slayer is unusual enough, but to be pregnant with a warrior’s child. That is odder still. I had to do a bit of research to find out what you were after. Many late night hours went into this so please take it seriously. Check out the results.”

Buffy and Angel looked over the sheets Giles had found on the net and in books. They looked at each sheet, reading every detail. It turned out that Buffy would have to take off work for a long time during the pregnancy. As in for the entire pregnancy. That wasn’t all though. What hit closer to home was the fact that she might not be able to slay due to a weakness in capabilities causing complications in her focusing. Angel would have to slay with her more. He would have to help a lot more with things around the house too. The page on Marriage and Slaying went into this further saying that the slayer was often tired from the stresses of carrying the child and so she needed to be basically pampered. It would be a restful pregnancy—or so this was the preferred choice—and Buffy would have to lay around more. She would have to depend on others, her friends, loved ones, if she were to follow the guidelines that Giles had come upon.

She said, “They don’t’ know me, whoever wrote these books and the articles on these sites, Giles. I’m no loafer.”

Angel said, “Neither am I.” He’d not entered the marriage expecting or asking Buffy to do everything. He did a good part of the housework and he did the cooking. So helping more wouldn’t bother Angel. It wouldn’t hurt him at all seeing her smiling pretty face more at home either. He’d enjoy it very much in fact.

Seeing Buffy’s dislike, he said, “Buffy it might help to at least try to do what it says. For the child—and you.”

Buffy grumbled, then conceded, “I know…I just hate having to be so dependent. You know? I mean I grew into this slaying job with the idea that I was the one who everyone depended on. Not the other way around. How am I supposed to reverse the roles—and not just for a day, but for three to four months?”

Giles said imploringly, “You would still be independent Buffy…”

Buffy said, “I would?” Her question was more a statement. Giles grew momentarily speechless.

Angel looked heartfeltly at Buffy and said, “Look, Buffy, no one understands a need to be strong and sufficient more than me. Our positions are not everyday or easy by any means….” He hated feeling dependent on anyone. Angel was definitely headstrong and took care of himself.

Giles said, “According to my findings it would be beneficial Buffy to follow them as much as possible.”

Buffy began to pace as she said, “Say I do this, okay. Say I go to my boss and tell him I have to take a leave due to my pregnancy. He fires me. Then what happens? How do we pay the bills?” She was looking at Angel, but slowly her eyes diverted to Giles and stayed. It was his bright suggestion to begin with. Giles meant well, but he wasn’t thinking clearly.

Angel said, “Buffy you know we’d make it. The bills would get paid.”

Buffy spat, distressed, “How do we eat?” She cringed at the thought of dropping her income. She paid four of the house bills plus bought food on her checks! Without it…she just couldn’t see Angel swinging it all. It wouldn’t be fair—or sane. Suddenly she worried again that maybe they had waited too long to get with Giles about the baby. They had not planned well for it and now it would cost Angel most of all having to work overtime to pay the difference.

Buffy turned away, saying with tears in her eyes, “I feel so guilty. I should never have kept this a secret as long as I have…now it has cost everyone. Most of all the baby and our lives. I’m sorry…”

Angel walked up behind Buffy, putting his arms around her as he kissed her on the head and said, “I love you, Buffy. You know that?”

Nodding, Buffy blubbered, “Ye-ess.”

He tilted her face to look up at him as he said, “Good. Loving you, I don’t care how many hours I have to work, how many patrols I have to go out on, or whatever else I have to do. I’ll do it to keep you safe. We’re going to make it, Buffy. We’ve overcome bigger obstacles than this one.”

Buffy leaned into Angel, knowing somehow that he was right.

Giles surprised them the most that night as he looked at them and said, “Neither of you is going to have to worry about anything. Not as long as I’m around.”

Both Buffy and Angel looked up at this. Angel said, “What are you talking about, Giles?”

Giles replied, “I’m saying, I have a good enough savings that combined with what you make, Angel, it would cover what Buffy made at her job. It would make up the difference.”

Angel and Buffy started to shake their heads, but Giles continued, holding a hand up for a moment to get out his peace. “Part of my job as counselor or watcher is to protect you, Buffy. And Angel, you’ve become like a son to me. So it would be helping you both out. If that means using a little of my stash to get you by through this pregnancy, then so be it. It’s what I want and far worth it if it keeps you safe and healthy, Buffy and you from killing yourself, Angel.”

It took thirty minutes to get an agreement out of Buffy and Angel, but it was finally accomplished. Buffy would quit her job and stay home during her pregnancy. Angel would keep his hours as they were, helping Buffy wherever she needed it. And Giles would help cover the difference, tying him in even more to the two of them…not just financially but in a familial way too….

Buffy went to work the following morning and was indeed fired. Gathering her things and her pride, she left shortly after. Several coworkers including Amy Brooks threatened to go in and assassinate Mr. Werther. Buffy refused to let them, telling them that she was going to enjoy some time off her feet. It was a lie, but she didn’t want to watch a killing either, even if it was in defense of her being so quickly terminated.

It did sit wrong in her to know that her job was so meaningful when she was helping Mr. Werther, but when she was in need of some time away for her health she was as good as gone. But she couldn’t let that bother her. Not and be able to drive home in a healthy state. Tears could fall in her living room, on her plush couch, while watching some sappy, sad movie. Buffy was thinking Terms of Endearment sounded great!

While Buffy was at the office getting her stuff, Cordelia was in a sad state herself yet she couldn’t explain it. She woke up in a Don’t touch me manner and was reluctant to be within reach of Doyle. She knew he caught on for he gave her some long looks of question. She had no answer when he asked what was wrong. What could she say when she didn’t know? Cordelia got ready for work that morning in silence, hoping her nasty mood would change.

Now, an hour into her shift, Cordelia felt some better. Doyle was off with Angel on some expedition for the office. The phones had been quiet, so she had some time to do filing and typing. The clicking sound of her keys and the sound of the clock chiming nine was nice for Cordelia.

Then her emotions kicked in with questions that she let herself ponder and her momentary tranquility was shot to hell.

The truth of the matter was Cordelia was sick over every one of her friends being married—some with kids. She had Doyle and she loved him more than anything. But he was a live-in boyfriend. He had mentioned nothing about commitment…so she hadn’t for fear of scaring him away. But she wanted it! Cordelia was nearing her 25th birthday after all. She wanted the things that most women did at that age—she wanted marriage, family, and a house with a mortgage. Or at least the first two! She’d keep the apartment and have Doyle as her husband. It was a start at least.

Not that she was unhappy with Doyle. She loved him. She just…was unsatisfied. She wanted something else with him. Muttering aloud, Cordelia said, “After living together for five years, I should want more!”

This had been mulling around in her thoughts for months, but she had refused to let it bother her. Until yesterday, seeing Buffy happy and in love and so obviously pregnant now in her maternity outfit. She wasn’t mad at Buffy for loving being in love or having a baby. Cordelia was thrilled for her and for Angel. It was about time Angel and Buffy had a child.

But while all her friends and family and people close to her were carrying on with their lives, she was an actress and a receptionist living with a guy who she loved but didn’t’ see marriage from. Not on his side anyway. Maybe mom was right, Cordelia thought sadly. Maybe I was wrong to fall in love with a man that was set on just a relationship without permanency.

Pushing the keyboard forward and herself backward in the chair, Cordelia chastised herself. Why am I letting this bother me? I said a long time ago that I was happy, happy with Doyle and my life! Why must it change now? Because Buffy’s pregnant? Big deal! Let her change the diapers and be up all night. I have more important things to do.

Yeah…like answering phones and hoping for some clue that my boyfriend will actually want me enough to marry me….

Cordelia finished her morning in this state.

Angel looked at Doyle and said, “Have you been noticing how Cordelia has been acting today?”

Doyle shrugged his shoulders. He had noticed it, yes, but he guessed she was having a bad day. He had his share. So he said, “I know she’s moody today, but I’m moody a lot. Why do you ask?”

Angel drove back into the parking lot of the office saying, “No reason. I just thought she acted a bit upset about something.”

Doyle said, “I’ll ask her. But if you want the truth from me, I think she’s just having a bad day. Nothing more.” Doyle didn’t let things bother him that much. Now that he had Cordelia safe again, he told himself he’d put up with whatever Cordie mood she was in just to have her alive and well.

Angel parked the convertible saying, “Maybe so. Well let’s get back in their, see who’s called.”

Doyle grinned saying, “Yeah, find out where we stand in our race to fight the bad demons of LA.”

Grinning with him Angel and Doyle walked across the parking lot, to the front door. Once reaching it, Angel opened it and found an empty front. Cordelia was not at her desk. Her things were cleaned up but she was once again, nowhere to be found….

Buffy was at home in the middle of Terms of Endearment, while popcorn popped in the microwave when the doorbell jingled. Wiping her eyes, Buffy sluggishly moseyed off the couch. She had been on a sob quest since arriving at home and was still living the experience. She walked across the carpeted floor with Kleenex in her hands, crunched and nasty. Buffy didn’t care.

Walking to the door, she questioned why someone would bother her today, not whether or not she looked pretty!

Hearing the bell ring and a sound knocking on the door, Buffy said, “I’m right here! Just a minute.” In between blubbers.

Opening the door, she met Cordelia with her purse on one shoulder and determination in her eyes. She brought pigs in a blanket and a smile. Buffy said, “Hey. Come in. Excuse how I look. I had a bad day.”

Cordelia walked in saying, “Have one of these. You’ll feel better. Then we can share stories.”

Intrigued, Buffy shut the door and they walked into the living room. Turning off Terms of Endearment, she and Cordelia walked to the kitchen to share…
Angel looked at Doyle, after hearing him go on for ten minutes in a stressful bout over Cordelia’s being out. He folded his hands over his chest, thinking how hopelessly in love Doyle was—not to mention borderline possessive.

Angel said, “Doyle, you are freaking out again, over something as innocent as Cordelia going to lunch.”

Doyle said, “How do you know that is all it is? It could be another abduction. Angel you take things too damn lightly.”

Angel said, “And as usual, you flare up at everything. There are no signs of a struggle and Cordelia wouldn’t be taken without one. You’re flipping out over nothing.” Had he said that out loud? Apparently he had, by the look of Doyle that turned from concern over Cordie to flat out irritation at Angel. Then he said, “Let’s stop this, Angel before it gets uglier.”

Angel said, “Good idea. I’m going into my office. Cordelia should be back within the hour, Doyle. But if you are so worried, go on a drive and find her. She’s most likely at the Pizzeria out on 72nd and Harrison.”

Just as soon as Angel walked into his office, his phone rang. Picking it up, he said, “This is Angel.”

Buffy said, “Angel. It’s Buffy. We need to talk. Got a minute?”

Angel said, “Sure. What’s up?” Minutes later, Angel sat on his chair with a smile as he heard the latest news. It seemed Doyle was in the doghouse and he probably knew nothing about it. After the spat just moments ago, Angel’s grin only broadened.

Earlier, right after Cordelia showed at Buffy’s….

As soon as Buffy and Cordelia sat in the kitchen, the open box of goodies between them on the table, Buffy said, “Well I’d tell you what happened with me, but somehow I think you are more upset than I am. So spill.”

Cordelia let out a deep breath and said, “Have you ever looked around you, Buffy, and seeing the perfect togetherness felt you were lacking something?”

Buffy’s face got that confused look that both girls understood. She said, “You’re gonna have to go further into this, Cordelia for me to get it. What’s happened? Has another critic come down on you with your latest role? Because I think the last one was a total jerk with no notion of acting.”

Grinning for the first time, Cordelia said, “See? I’m here five minutes and you have me smiling. I wish we’d been friends longer. Back when things seemed so important but really weren’t.”

Buffy knew she meant in school, so said, “I don’t think any of us were very bright then, Cordelia. I know I wasn’t.”

Cordelia took a drink of her chocolate milkshake, and said, “Maybe.” She bit into another pig in a blanket.

Buffy waited for Cordelia to finish.

Cordelia was slow to respond in an attempt to get her thoughts together. She finally said, “Doyle and I have been together for what, five years now?”

Nodding, happy to be getting somewhere, Buffy said, “Yeah, about.”

Cordelia said, “No. It’s been exactly five years, Buffy. We moved in as roommates. When we became lovers, I didn’t expect him to marry me. I was happy with just having Doyle in my life. But here lately…I don’t know…I have been thinking that I want him to ask me. All my friends including you are married now. Some are raising kids. You and Angel are expecting a baby in a few months. And what do I have? A boyfriend who likes me enough to live with me, but not enough to even discuss the idea of becoming engaged. I’m beginning to think mom’s right. Buffy I think I’m going to have to make a decision of what I want.” Pausing, feeling her heart constricting, Cordelia said self-consciously, “Do you think I’m being irrational? Or a total control freak of a girlfriend?”

Shaking her head, Buffy said, “No…I think you are deciding you want more from Doyle.” After five years, Buffy thought that was pretty normal. She added, “Have you mentioned this to him?”

Cordelia said, “Are you kidding? I didn’t want to take a chance at being dumped. Doyle is an introvert, Buffy, in many ways. Often I have asked myself how I could be in love with such a man, such a man that is so very close to nerve wracking and high strung. But I do love him with all my heart. I didn’t’ want to lose what I had with him…” She lowered her head.

Buffy said, “You know what? I need to grab something from my room. I’ll be right back.”

Nodding, Cordelia sat in the kitchen, trying to collect herself, feeling the attempt failing her.

Buffy did grab something—her telephone!

She dialed Angel, then told him about the situation…which brings us to the present. All that comes after.

Angel said, “You think Doyle has a clue about any of this?”

Buffy said, “No, according to Cordelia he knows nothing. She was scared of telling him, Angel. Doyle is…”

Angel finished, “A royal pain sometimes. Yeah, I know. He would listen though.”

Buffy said, “I won’t speak for Doyle, but I can tell you from what Cordelia said that she is worried. She really is scared that he will…break up with her.”

Angel was forming a headache now as he said, “Shouldn’t she have talked with Doyle about this? It really is between them, Buffy. How was your morning at the office?”

Buffy said, “Lousy enough I want to wait on it until later. I am more worried about Cordelia. What do you think we should do?”

Angel had an impulsive idea. He said, “I don’t know if we can protect her from being hurt, but I can let Doyle knock off early and pay her a visit. That will be my best known effort in this. Will it help?”

Buffy said, “I think it would be great. Thanks Angel. I love you.”

Angel said, “I love you too. I’ll try to get out of here early myself tonight. What are you wanting for dinner?”

Buffy thought about it and said, “Sour kraut and Chocolate Chip Cookies. That sounds yummy to me.” Giggling, Buffy said, “But I imagine you’ll want to fix yourself something else.”

Angel was used to nights like this so he grinned and said, “Nope. I can hang. Well I’ll see you tonight. Love you.”

Buffy smiled into the phone, so thankful to have a loving, doting husband, and said, “I love you too.” They hung up. Buffy went back to the kitchen to comfort Cordelia who was crying into her hands…

Doyle knocked on the door. Buffy was expecting it. She looked at Cordelia and said, “Cordelia I’ve done something—actually Angel and I have together. I hope it works.” She walked to the front door, while Cordelia watched a drama scene of Terms of Endearment.

In walked Doyle. He said, “I was told to come by here. What’s going on, Buffy?”

Buffy said, “Umm…well I thought that maybe you could stop by for awhile.”

Doyle was tired and not in a friendly mood. He snapped, “Unless you are having a problem, or need some help, I am going home. I’ve got things to do.” Yeah, like search out LA for Cordelia, hoping like hell she was at home and not in another lair! He was still fried at Angel for being so damn casual about it earlier. When she didn’t come back from lunch, Doyle let into Angel who only shrugged and said, “Maybe she took the afternoon off.” Clearly he wasn’t upset. Doyle on the other hand had been a nervous wreck all day.

It made him question his own senses to be this worked up over Cordelia’s choice to take the afternoon off. It made him feel whipped—which he was. But he was too lost in love with her to stop it now. So he stressed and stewed and acted the protective concerned boyfriend.

Buffy was not timid or nervous any longer. She stepped closer to Doyle and said into his eyes, “I wouldn’t give a rats ass what you did, except for one thing. Your girlfriend, my best friend is in the other room, upset because of you!” Pushing him against the door, Buffy said, “So for now, you can knock off your cocky jerk mode.”

Shrugging, resigned to cooperate, Doyle said, “Fine. What’s wrong? What have I done?”

Buffy said, “I think you can wait for that. You’ve avoided it long enough now you can wait another five minutes.” Sucker punching him in the crotch, Buffy sent him to the floor saying, “That was for treating me like a common idiot only interested in what you could do for me.” As she started to walk away, Buffy added, “Your girlfriend’s in the kitchen. I’m going to lie down. You pull that crap on her and I hear about it, we’ll play this again.”

Doyle moved away from the door, mumbling under his breath. He heard Buffy say, “What was that?”

He said, “Nothing, Buffy.” He walked toward Cordelia, grateful he wasn’t married to a slayer….

Cordelia had wiped her eyes at the sound of Doyle’s voice. She was standing in control again. She smiled and said, “Fancy seeing you here.”

Doyle smiled and said, “I was told I’d find you here. Decided to take the day off, huh? Don’t blame you.” He walked toward her, but only so far. Cordelia moved away and said, “We need to talk, Doyle.”

Doyle said, “Okay.” He felt nervous, very nervous now. Sweat was forming and he followed Cordelia to the table and sat beside her in chairs, not knowing at all what to expect.

He said, “What’s going on, Cordie? Are you being harassed by Tazaar’s pals? I will kill any followers we missed before.”

Cordelia shook her head and said, “No, I think they’re long gone.” She smiled at his charismatic way of defending her. She forced her thoughts to come forward and her heart to smooth some to say them, “Doyle, you and I have been together for a while now.”

Doyle moved in and touched his fingers caressingly against Cordelia’s face, briefly on her chin in a motion that always drew her to him more. He said, “Yeah. We have.” Now she smiled for a moment, but went serious again. She dropped her hand from his shirt.

Doyle picked up on this and said anxiously, “Cordelia is this your way of saying it isn’t working anymore? If it is, just say it. You know I hate long drawn out good-byes.”

Cordelia felt tears forming in her eyes as she said, “I’m not wanting to say goodbye, Doyle.”

Gently, Doyle said, “Then what are you saying, love?”

Cordelia said, “I’m saying that I am in love with you, Doyle.” Pausing, catching his surprise, the love in his eyes, Cordelia said, “I’m saying that I want something more between us.”

Doyle felt the blood draining from his face. The moment he was dreading was here and somehow he had to deal with it. What was he supposed to do now?

At Cordelia’s long face, he let out a deep breath and said, “I don’t know what to say, Cordie. I know what you are saying, I hear it. I just don’t know if I can offer it back.”

Cordelia swallowed this back and said, “I knew that was a chance I took telling you how I felt.” She heard him uttering some explanations of not knowing if he could be what she wanted, offer her forever and toned them all out.

Standing, Cordelia said, “I told you I wasn’t wanting to say it, but I have to. I have to, Doyle.” Taking deep breaths, forcing courage forward on top of a broken heart, “Goodbye.”

Doyle’s breath was temporarily gone, taken in one lunge that only Cordelia’s final words could inflict. It took him a full minute to regain it. Trying to talk himself out of his terrible oversight, Doyle found himself saying quietly, “Cordie…I…I’m sorry. I don’t know what to say.”

Cordelia felt a tear fall and wiped it away sadly saying, “I know. You just can’t offer forever and I will accept it. I will. In time. For now, though, I will plan on staying here, in a spare bedroom. In a day or two, I’ll gather my things and move into another place.”

Doyle was losing more than just one evening with Cordelia. He was losing everything. The control he enjoyed was leaving with it and he was suddenly very vulnerable. Sputtering, Doyle said, “But…but I thought you…you just said you loved me, Cordelia. How can you move out?”

Cordelia said, “When you go home, Doyle, and have some time to think about tonight, I’m sure it will make sense. Until then, I’m asking you to leave.”

Doyle didn’t bother with saying it wasn’t her place to tell him to leave. That would be childish and pathetic. He’d be pathetic probably as long as he lived or as long as he thought of his stupidity with Cordelia. But he’d be damned if he’d project childishness.

Yes, Doyle was going to leave with dignity. He walked to the doorframe and said solemnly, “Bye, Cordie.”

Cordelia watched at the window as he sped away in his car then held her sides that were ricocheting the feel of her heart breaking and let the tears just fall….

TBC….

angelrose242000
Enthusiastic Roswellian

A Starry Night

Part SixDismal Days

Doyle had thought about it when he got home that night. Enough he came to a decision…. He had to leave LA. He couldn’t work day after day with Cordelia next to him, knowing that she was living someplace else and that all that they shared was just finished with the effect of a snap of a finger. Her startling words of goodbye echoed this. So when he found Angel again out on patrol, he explained what was going on and after a heated discussion over Doyle’s stupidity for not saving what he had with Cordelia, Angel relented. Doyle hated leaving, he hated this situation. His heart broke the moment Cordelia said goodbye. But he had to for himself as much as for Cordelia. Dealing with his inability to move things up in their relationship as any woman would want after five damn years, he thought miserably—this being mostly from his own insecurity he knew of relationships—he did what he thought was best. So Tuesday morning, he left before daylight taking his few things he owned and his lowly self to wherever his jag would take him, somewhere where he could forget Cordelia and the stricken look on her face over something he didn’t think he could ever give—forever….
Cordelia sat at her desk on another Monday morning trying to offer a smile and a happy optimistic sound in her voice that her heart just didn’t feel. The result was a forced attempt leaving her face feeling contorted and hurting when she really just wanted to frown and feel as bad outwardly as she was inwardly. She knew the reason—Doyle had left town, left LA.
Doyle had moved out a month ago, and still his presence was here. In this room that she sat in and had for so long as a receptionist. But more than just in the room in this office, his presence was everywhere, everywhere she was. He had left her, left her heart a broken mess by not being able to give what she needed from him. So now he was gone and she was working in the same motions she had been for the past four weeks, wishing she were someplace else. She’d thought of taking vacation, just to be able to sulk at home, at her new flat on 53rd and Emory. Somehow though she couldn’t make herself do that as yet.
Angel walked into the room seeing Cordelia’s saddened state of shuffling files and shook his head. He had tried to offer her a leave just to get away, but Cordelia shook it off saying how she needed to keep going. So he just went on with what he was doing, currently searching for material on an ancient demon from the Turkish Movement. He felt for her though. He and Buffy both did and they had tried to have her stay on longer than a couple of days for support if nothing else. She refused and they as friends accepted it, offering a phone call or a visit whenever she needed it. So far she had held up pretty well. Cordelia was strong. But even the strong could be weak inside and looking at her now, Angel saw a sad Cordelia. He wanted to hunt Doyle down and beat the shit out of him. Buffy would offer one hell of a fight at his side, six months pregnant and all.
Speaking of Buffy, Angel thought how sweet she looked in her yellow daffodil summer dress at home, still actively getting around. This morning, she left Angel with the picture of her cleaning the house. She packed him a lunch with his favorite peanut butter and jelly sandwich, crusts evenly cut. It was cute and domestic. Angel asked her to not overdo and that he would be home to help more when he got off work. Whenever he worried about her condition, she proved by words or actions that he didn’t have to. She was glowing and doing remarkably well now that she was able to rest more.
For awhile he backed off on the idea of fooling around, but according to Buffy’s doctor and the records that Giles looked up weeks ago, it was safe. So they continued to enjoy each other at night, during the days Angel came home for lunch, on weekends, whenever the mood struck. There were times that Buffy called Angel and all she had to say were a few words for Angel to leave work and head for home. The pregnancy didn’t hinder them, if anything it strengthened their love for each other.
Which looking at Cordelia seeing her pain, Angel wished Cordelia could have had with Doyle. Doyle could have taken the leap and married Cordelia. It was so obvious that they loved each other. Angel caught it on a daily basis seeing how they were around each other. Angel wasn’t one to dwell, though, so he tried to get busy, letting Cordelia have her space. He felt for her—and for Doyle wherever he was for Angel knew what it was like to be without the woman he loved….

Cordelia worked her shift and went home that night, grateful for the chance to be in her own place, her safe zone where she could be herself. Where she didn’t have to be cheery and nice, she could be surly and miserable. This was not a good thing, but right at this moment in her life, surly and miserable fit Cordelia pretty well. She pulled into her drive thinking how nice it would be to take off her pump shoes and change into jeans and a T-shirt or maybe she’d throw on her Goldilocks and the Three Bears pajamas. Yes, that sounded better.
When she got inside and dropped her keys on the in table, checked her messages, Cordelia walked to her room and changed into her pink and green Goldilocks and the Three Bears pajamas at 5:15 in the afternoon. She grabbed her potato chips and cream and went into the kitchen and poured herself a glass of milk. Sulking again over Doyle had her day filled with thoughts of him so now she mulled over her yummy snack and let everything else go away for awhile.
She refused to drink over him. She wouldn’t do that. She had however become addicted to the sad shows on TV that she once thought were bummers. They were now a great part of her existence. She didn’t party and wasn’t about to become something she wasn’t even if it did cut deep knowing that Doyle might be…he might be doing a lot of things she didn’t like. Be that as it may, she couldn’t. It just wasn’t in Cordelia to be that girl anymore who went out and did crazy things just to spite someone. Those days ended when she watched her high school explode and watched her childhood memories of home-life change forever. She recalled that girl and knew she was a part of her past, but one that she didn’t’ want to see again. She was retired.
But she could curl up on the couch with a good Roswell book and watch TV. That was in. So she grabbed her chips, cream, and milk and headed into the living room. Turning on the tube, she watched another great episode of Saved by the Bell. She used to love that show and it still made her smile. These days, Cordelia clung to whatever could….

TV was a nice distraction, but when it went off there was only silence. No Doyle to talk to her, to pick on her, to have fun with, to love… That was my fault. He could be hurting like I am right now because of me. I asked too much, I caused him to leave. Tears wanted to fall over this tortuous feeling that had remained within since the day she went to work to learn he had gone. She remembered going to the bathroom at the office and staying there for who knew how long just weeping—holding her sides and crying out over the loss and her self-blame of it happening this way.
Cordelia felt burning tears of regret then chastised, if she hadn’t said what she felt, would this same thing continued indefinitely? Would she always have been a live-in girl?
Maybe, but she would still have Doyle. Torn over what she felt was necessary and her emotions that argued the insipid behavior of last month, Cordelia tried to busy herself with anything that would get her mind off of him and her actions. She cleaned her house from ten at night until four in the morning. When she could do no more and was exhausted beyond reason, her broom and dustpan were tossed on the floor and she sprawled on her bed and fell fast asleep….

She awoke late Tuesday morning—very late. The alarm had been going off for quite some time. Cordelia shot up and looked with squinty eyes at the average black little alarm clock she’d had for years, at the bright red huge numbers. When it registered that the clock said ten am, she tossed the blankets back and ran to her bathroom. Turning on the light she saw herself, but the girl who looked back was a mess. Around her brown eyes were puffy circles and teary signs of a month of crying in the dark, when no one else could see. Washing her face, she pulled her hair back up into a twist that wasn’t exactly stellar. Truthfully it was just tossed and clipped. But she didn’t care. She went to her room and threw on jeans and a red checkered baseball shirt. It took five minutes for it to set in that this was one of Doyle’s favorites that he liked seeing her in. He had bought it for her when they went to their first baseball game together, two years ago.
Man this hurt! How could someone live with someone for five years and just shut that off? Just forget the memories, the knowledge that the other person was right there where you needed him to be? One second, she was laughing and picking on Doyle as friends, then in another second, she had become romantically involved with him as his lover. Somehow that ended and though she had the reasons clearly in her mind, her heart was still struggling over why. Why did he have to walk out? Why did he have to leave? Why couldn’t he have given an inch to her? Was it so hard? Or was she just not the one he was meant to be with? That cut worst of all for it meant that the past handful of years had been just a relationship, not a huge part of her life. It meant that maybe…maybe she was the only one who was in love—that maybe he just loved being with her. No. Cordelia couldn’t accept this. She didn’t know what to believe, not completely, but she did know that if she allowed herself to let that doubt in it would destroy her.
She drove to Angel’s office and parked. Locking up, she walked across the parking lot and to the door in this daze over Doyle and feelings. Was love just a feeling that lasted only so long? Then when it got to a point like this was it supposed to shatter and fall into pieces leaving two injured parties to have to figure out what the hell it meant? What was she supposed to do now? Besides do this job day in and day out and stay up half the night pushing her pain back with television and books and cleaning?
Opening the front door, Cordelia prepared to face the music. She expected Angel to blow up at her over being late. She waited…waited…nothing? Hmmm. She wondered where he was, when he was going to question her not being there to answer phones. Choosing to deal with that when it came, she walked into the lit up office structure, with her touches here and there of cream and mauve painted walls and pictures of the ocean. She smiled. Favorites that she had chosen over the past five years were everywhere. This was in a large way Cordelia’s place.
Walking to her desk, she dropped her purse and started to go find Angel to explain her hectic night and morning, when she saw a picture in a frame. A small one she hadn’t shoved in a back part of a drawer or box. It was on shelf beside her desk. Picking it up, helpless to do otherwise, Cordelia looked and saw. It was a picture of Doyle and her together at the carnival last year. Doyle had his arm around her, she had hers around him and they were smiling, looking at each other. Cordelia couldn’t stop the erratic emotions that overcame her or the way she fell apart, holding the picture in her hands. She held it like it was a representation, even if a small one, of her past with Doyle. A time when they were happy and in love, having a good time. He had won her a stuffed Snoopy dog not long after the picture was taken. Then as if the pain was too much to bear, she said, “Damn you Doyle!” She tossed the picture with all the strength she had left and watched as it shattered against the wall. It matched her heart, she thought sadly.

Suddenly Angel rushed in saying, “What the hell?” Then he saw. He saw what had happened and the young woman who was on the floor beside the glass, sobbing. He said nothing, but went to the door and locked it, turned the sign and said, “I think today was a bad day to come to work.”
Cordelia looked up and said through tears, “An-gel. I…I…I’m so-r-r-y. Sorry I…was…late…but…”
Angel grabbed his keys and said, “Come on. Let’s get out of here.”
Nodding, Cordelia absently grabbed her purse and followed him out the back door.
She didn’t’ know where he was taking her but right then she just needed to get away and she inwardly thanked him for thinking of her….

As they drove toward Buffy’s and Angel’s Cordelia wiped her tears, battling with others that came. She adjusted more in the convertible she always said was kick ass for how fast it went and listened to the sound of the song Kryptonite. It fit today, she thought. Trying to get her voice back, Cordelia felt she should say something, so she turned to Angel and did. “Thank you, Angel.”
Angel looked at Cordelia, at her sad face, and said, “You’re welcome. I think we both needed a day off.”

Cordelia spoke freely, “Yeah…I did. I’ve been trying so hard to keep focused, to not let myself break down. But when I saw the picture of Doyle…Angel I can’t believe he left. I can’t describe the pain I’m feeling right now and I hate having to admit such a thing.”

Angel asked, “Why not? You’re human, Cordelia. Feelings come with that.”

Cordelia continued, needing to talk, “Maybe I am, maybe they do, but I wanted to be able to remain strong. I wanted to let myself keep those feelings those things at home. I’m just glad there was no one in the office. I expected you to yell at me for being late.”

Angel said, “What because one day out of five years you were late to the office? I don’t think I’m going to raise hell over that, Cordelia. I come and go too, remember?”

Cordelia said, “Yeah but you’re…you’re the boss, Angel. You can come and go. You want to know what I do when I go home these days?”

Angel didn’t guess it was good, but he said as her friend, “Sure.”

Cordelia wiped her face and said, “Oh it’s real impressive. I go home, change into pajamas and grab a snack—usually chips and cream. Sometimes its ice cream or fudge bars. I take the food of choice to the living room and turn on the tube to watch sad movies on LMN. I watch until I’m a mess, in tears and miserable. Usually this makes me go to sleep. Last night, though, it didn’t. I was so upset I had to do something, so I cleaned my entire apartment, top to bottom.”

Angel was relieved. He expected heavy drinking or something harmful such as starving herself and was thankful it didn’t sound that way. Cordelia wasn’t a drinker except on special occasions and she liked to eat. He asked, “How late were you up?”

Cordelia didn’t mind answering. She had initiated this discussion after all. So she said, “Four. Four in the morning.” Cordelia expected a look or some comment on how she was letting Doyle get to her too much, that she should move on. She’d heard that enough from her mother. She didn’t know if she could hear it again. But again, she had started this so she would deal if it came to that.

Angel replied, “I’ve had late nights myself.” Too many to count, Angel thought in reflection. He expected that Doyle was having them too. Before this was over, Angel knew he’d be having words with Doyle again.

Cordelia said, “Miserable isn’t it?” She knew that it was hard on him when Buffy was in Sunnydale and he in LA all those months. She remembered trying to get him through it. Now it seemed they were in reverse mode. She lowered the visor and looked at herself in the mirror. Making a nasty face, Cordelia said, “I look like crap. Good thing I’m not in the make of a movie. I’d be passed over.”

Angel said, “Hey, don’t put yourself down Cordelia. You are a strong, beautiful woman.”

Cordelia said as they pulled into the drive, “Yeah, but not so great that Doyle would choose to marry me.”

Angel rolled his eyes and very nearly said that Doyle was a bastard. That wouldn’t help Cordelia right now. She needed a friend, not someone to beat down a man she still loved. So he said, “We’ll deal with Doyle later. I’m guessing he will come back.”

Cordelia beamed at this and said, “You think?”

Angel wished he hadn’t said that. What if he didn’t? Knowing he couldn’t take it back, he said, “I’m going on a hunch, Cordie, but yeah, I think after enough time, he will miss LA—and all he left behind in it….” If he did come back, Angel thought, there would definitely be words shared between them. Cordelia shouldn’t be in this pain. She should be with a man who cared about her and Angel thought that was Doyle. This would definitely be the test of that love.

Angel parked the car and said, “Wait here.”

He went inside and finding Buffy drinking Pepsi at the kitchen table and reading a magazine, Angel smiled. He saw the only thing that mattered to him sitting and reading a Globe Magazine.
Walking to her, Angel tilted her face up and kissed her. Buffy kissed him back and looking at her watch frowned confused, “What’s going on? Are you okay? Is something wrong with Cordelia?” She’d been worried about Cordelia for awhile now and had shared it with Angel.

Angel grimaced and said, “I think we need to take off for awhile. Cordelia…she’s had a bad day. I thought maybe we could take a trip somewhere, if you’re up to it. Go to Sunnydale, see your mom. Take Cordelia to the Magnolia Gardens, or wherever she’d like. Just get out for a bit.”

Buffy stood and running her hands up to behind his neck, she smiled and said, “I think that sounds like a wonderful plan. I love you, you know that?”

Angel said, “I know. I love you too. You sure you’re feeling well enough?”

Buffy rolled her eyes and said, “I feel fine. Great. Perfect. Perfect enough to get out and enjoy the day. Let me get my purse and I’m gone.” She waddled to the bedroom and grabbed her brown purse. Walking to Angel she said, “Oh, one more thing.” Reaching in the fridge, she grabbed a Pepsi and said, “Now I’m good.”

Angel put his arm around her shoulder and they walked out the door. Locking up they met Cordelia at the convertible. Spotting Buffy, Cordelia moved to the backseat and watched as Buffy climbed in the front. She had compassion in her eyes. Cordelia felt suddenly very vulnerable, knowing somehow that she had been talked about. Hating this paranoid feeling, she smiled and said, “Hey, Buffy.”

Buffy said, “Cordelia.” She reached out and hugged Cordelia, hearing her muffled cries. She found herself crying with her saying, “It’s okay, Cordelia. It’s gonna be okay.” Angel, Buffy and Cordelia spent the day in the gardens, at Buffy’s mom’s and several places in between. They had a good time and Cordelia found herself smiling a little, knowing the pain would come back that night when she was alone again. It always did.

A month had passed since Doyle had left but the dismal days that passed still lingered, as did the pain in Cordelia’s heart. Not so far away a man named Doyle sat troubled, feeling the same agony—and not knowing what to do about it, how to make it go away.

angelrose242000
Enthusiastic Roswellian

A Starry Night

By, Angelrose242000

Part SevenActions, Reactions, and Contractions

November 15, 2005

Buffy found herself in the LA Regional Hospital on a humid Saturday night with pain that would knock down a full-grown amazon woman. One that was generally tough when it came to pain, Buffy found her hands clutched into white fists on the sheets and mattress, her teeth clenched against each other and grinding. Giles was wiping her forehead with a damp cloth, saying soothingly, “Be brave, Buffy. You’re almost there. Keep pushing like Dr. Wagner says now.” Mom said, “Come on, Buffy. Give it your all.” She was smiling with that sweetness that Buffy had always admired. Mom was the best, and the most beautiful of women in Buffy’s heart.

Buffy looked at both giving them daggers and flinging her face this way and that in agitation and extreme pain. She’d been in the hospital for eight hours now. The pain seemed non-stop and she was unable to have much relief. The contractions were coming too rapidly and she said she didn’t want it. She wanted a natural birth.

When the next sharp excruciating pain hit, she questioned hers and Angel’s sanity at choosing this, however.

Looking at the doctor, she said, “Shouldn’t this be done with by now? I mean…how much more can there be?”

Joyce gave Buffy a pitying look that said she had no idea what she was in for. This could last another six or eight or longer. She had been in labor twelve hours before having Buffy. But she simply squeezed her hand and said, “It’s going to be okay, Buffy.”

Dr. Wagner sympathized, he did, but all he could say was, “The cervix is dilated, but it is going to be awhile, Buffy. There are no signs of complications, so I see no need in inducing. You are on the money. Just keep pushing. It’ll be over soon.”

Buffy grabbed him by the lapel and said, “So will you be if you don’t do something to alleviate this pain! Oh!!! Where the hell is Angel anyway?”

Cordelia rolled her eyes and said, “Who knows? Men are like this, Buffy. They put you here and then are off on their own business when you need them most. Some choose to disappear off the face of the earth.” She was still bitter about Doyle. But she’d moved on, or she had told herself she had anyway and met a guy named Jeff Spinner who she had been dating for a few weeks now. He was fun and attractive and took her to nice classy restaurants…but he wasn’t Doyle. No one could or would be. That was what was the worst. Cordelia knew that until she could stop dating one guy and thinking about another she would never be fully open to a new relationship. She’d die longing for another man.

Like hell I will! She told herself. I’ll meet someone if it takes twenty-five years and I will be married and have children and be happy. I am good enough to find it and I will.

Joyce touched Cordelia’s face with a motherly hand and said, “Cordelia you don’t mean that. Angel is defending the innocent, not running off on Buffy. He loves her…we all know that.” Wherever he was, Joyce thought, if it wasn’t a good enough alibi, she would beat the shit out of him herself. Buffy was at her house when her water broke. It had been Joyce who had caught her before she fell and Joyce who had taken her to the hospital.

LA Regional had been the choice from day one because it was central to both Joyce and Angel and Buffy. Plus they trusted the people there much, much more than any in Sunnydale—too much history of wolves in sheep clothing made Sunnydale Hospital frightening.

It was a mother thing and Joyce was proud to be here. She so longed to see her grandchild and had been since finding out Buffy was pregnant. Would he or she look like her beautiful Buffy with some of Angel’s features? Either way strength would be inside. Both parents were strong and sure and brave individuals.

Smiling at Cordelia, the girl that had become a true friend to Buffy over the years, Joyce was saddened for her. Cordelia was another strong brave girl who had a lot of love inside and it went to a man who was off on some agenda of discovering if he could live without her. It was ridiculous how Doyle ran off, but so many did…Angel had at one point. Of course that had been Joyce’s fault partly, she realized. She had gone to him and told him to make that decision. Boy was she thankful he had come back into Buffy’s life. She couldn’t be happier, even now as she lay in pain; Joyce could see the happiness behind her cries. She knew Buffy was eager to have the baby she could spoil and love as she did Angel.

I messed up once, Joyce thought. If only I could save Cordelia this pain…maybe there is a way, she thought... For now, though, she held her girl’s hand and coaxed her along through the next contraction.

Within the next hour, now ten PM, Angel rushed in saying passionately, “Buffy!” Buffy looked up through tears and said, “Angel….” He came she thought with a smile.

Angel moved in toward Buffy, tilted up her face and kissed her saying he loved her….

Doyle stood outside the hospital room, so far unnoticed by any of them. He had found out about Buffy through the grapevine—she was after all the Slayer—and so he had come for support. He was here to be a friend to her and Angel. Not because of the lady in red with a fiery temper. The one who had caused him to make a decision that had made many nights of his existence miserable. Okay, he had done that, Doyle admitted to himself as much as he hated it. He had walked out the damn door, told her goodbye, the one person who held his heart and made his days exciting and his nights exciting too in more intimate ways. He’d said goodbye to all he had with her, to his job, to everything, by not staying, by not saying he loved her. That he was willing to do whatever he had to do to give her forever. His dreams had been full of his telling her what a fool he had been and in some she had forgiven him, taken him back…but in many, many others she had shut him out.

This had kept him far away. But now he was here, in the hallway of a two-story hospital, watching a beautiful woman give birth, his best friend beside her. And his ex-girlfriend stood pacing back and forth with worry and sweat evident in her face, doing what he loved best about Cordelia—just saying. He loved Cordelia for all she was and her wild temper made her a constant challenge. Doyle missed that. He missed going into war with her over a topic that was debatable. He missed fencing with her verbally, while grinning, enjoying seeing her reaction, the way she got hot with irritation. Then in the next moment, how her temperance could change and become passion as he pulled her to him and kissed her madly.

How long had he been away? Four months? Long enough to miss her, to want her and know he had lost her by his own actions, his own stupidity. How it felt after, how lonely and low, how empty, had led to his reaction. His reaction of staying to himself and listening to music that they had listened to together, to picturing her at work, to picturing her in bed. He had images of what it was like the first time he had been with her, to the time she had slapped him and asked him to leave. It was a video clipping that he had mastered in his mind and he could play whenever the mood struck. Just now, it chose to and he stood lost in his own cruel fantasy.

Suddenly he was broken free of his visual by Xander who walked up beside him saying with a goofy look on his face, “Stare much Doyle?”

Doyle shook himself awake and said to Xander, “Hey, I was…”

Xander pressed, “You were…were what?”

When Doyle merely stared at Cordelia, Xander said, “Exactly. Why don’t you just go in there? Be a man and tell Cordelia you want to talk to her?”

Doyle said, “I can’t. I screwed up too much to expect Cordie to talk to me again.”

Xander shrugged his shoulders and said, “Okay. Suit yourself. Stand and drool while I go in and say hello.”

Xander entered the room, leaving Doyle to stand and…well…drool.
Buffy said, “I may be a slayer but this is too much! Giles I quit!”

Giles chuckled and said, “Think it works like that do you?”

Buffy said with a pained expression, “Why not? I am the slayer.”

Angel said, “One hell of a slayer too. In more ways than one.” Buffy smiled up at him then said in a voice that had him nearly choking with laughter, “That sly smile of yours is what got me here, don’t think I can’t remember that.”

Suddenly, a voice startled more than a few in the room as it said, “Keep that look, Angel. I think I’ve got my camera in the Jag. Hold it…I’ll just be a minute.”

What had possessed Doyle to step into the room then he didn’t know…but he was here now. And everyone was looking at him. Xander was smiling in encouragement. Giles had a disconcerted expression. But the women in the room were a mixture of disgust and surprise. Dr. Wagner was rolling his eyes then focusing on Buffy.

Cordelia said quietly, “Hello Doyle.”

Doyle forgot everyone else. He was sure he said hi, but there was no way he would be able to say what else was uttered. His focus was on Cordelia and seeing her face drawing his to the pain in her eyes. Pain he had caused and was still present evidently.

Caused her to cry a lot of nights probably you jerk, he thought to himself.

Doyle replied emptily, “Cordie….can we talk?”

Cordelia said, “Now? Buffy is in labor, Doyle.”

Doyle said, “I know it…Buffy do you care? I need to talk with her.”

Buffy had been in a moment’s reprieve during this and said, “Fine. Go. But remember, Doyle, what I said before. I kick your ass if you hurt Cordelia again. I might be in a spot right now where you have an advantage, but I will be on my feet again very soon.”

Cordelia went but her initial thoughts were on Buffy and needing to be there for her friend. In the hall, Cordelia said, “We should be in there, not out here, Doyle.”

Doyle said, “I think Buffy’s got it under control for now.”

Cordelia mumbled bitterly, “Easy for you to say. You’re not the one who’s been in labor for hours on end…you’ve been off on your escapades.”

Doyle swallowed that retort and said while walking with Cordelia to the elevators, “I’m not going to go there with you, Cordelia.”

Cordelia stopped, crossing her arms in front of her and said, “Fine. I don’t want to go there either.”

Doyle kept his distance, thinking he had no right to be too close. Deep inside his heart he wanted to be, but he rejected the notion. Instead, he said simply, “Good. So let’s go downstairs and talk…outside where we can be alone. These places aren’t exactly swell for conversing.”

Reluctantly, Cordelia walked with Doyle into the elevators, and eventually outside to the tripod section of the hospital. They had it to themselves it seemed for it was empty, quiet and dark.

Doyle looked at Cordelia, she at him, both doing their best to ignore the feelings of hurt and love that still existed. Cordelia got impatient and said, “So what is going on, Doyle? Why are you…we out here? I thought you chose to be alone, to go away and leave LA for good. I thought that was what you wanted.”

Doyle lit a cigarette and said, “You still can cut and make people bleed, I see.”

Cordelia turned away to hide her tears as she said, “I’m not trying to be a bitch, Doyle. I just don’t see why…why you had to come back. I’ve been trying so hard to get on with my life.”

Doyle said, “I’m sure you have…so have I.” Hadn’t done a bit of good, but he had been trying, Doyle thought darkly. He was still trying to figure out why he had come, so he didn’t think it was fair to say one way or another. His answers would only hurt her and he didn’t want to do that. He’d done enough of it.

Cordelia turned and said, “Where did you go to?”

Doyle said, “San Francisco, Las Vegas, the mountains. I didn’t pay a lot of attention to the places, just let the car take me there.”

Nodding, Cordelia said, “I see.”

Doyle took another drag of his cigarette and added, “Anyway, Cordie, I had to talk to you, see how you were. Tell you that…”

Just then, Jeff walked up to Cordelia and pulled her into his arms. Cordelia awkwardly went and for a moment accepted his kiss, then broke away saying, “Jeff…what are you doing here?”

Jeff had thick ash brown hair and green eyes, he was the picture of tall prince in a fairytale—or so he would be to a girl like Cordelia, he guessed. To Doyle, ole Jeff was a tender faced pretty boy, Doyle thought with his sickening clean shaven look, his blue slacks and Oxford shirt. Hell he looked like a kid. He was a kid. Doyle could be his great-granddad. He’d just had another birthday himself. He’d turned 120 and had spent it in his apartment in the shadows of night with a beer in one had, a picture of himself and Cordelia in the other.

Doyle watched the scene until feeling a fool said, “I’ll be seeing you, Cordie.” He walked away, leaving Cordelia to talk alone with her new boyfriend.

He didn’t get far, however. Cordelia was running after him, saying, “Doyle…Doyle wait!”

He turned and said, “What is it?”

Cordelia reached him and said, “Well you brought me out here. What were you going to say?”
Doyle said, “It really doesn’t matter.” He felt he had lost her and knew he deserved it. So he accepted that he would go back to the road and his car and keep going.

Cordelia felt hurt nearing her heart again, but shoved it back refusing to let it slice her just yet. Instead she said, “It does matter. It matters enough you asked to talk with me out here. So what is it?”

Doyle said, “Who was that?”

Cordelia looked back and said fleetingly, “Jeff? He’s someone I’ve been seeing.” Seeing his face showing hurt before he could mask it, Cordelia said softly, “You left Doyle. You were gone for months. I didn’t think you were coming back. I tried to move on.”

Doyle snapped without meaning to, “Looks like it.”

Cordelia jerked back with shock on her face then tears that suddenly fell at the meaning behind them. She wiped them away and said, “You can cut too.”

Doyle looked around trying to control the feelings within him that wanted to explode with jealousy over any Jeff who would dare touch Cordelia. He shoved his fists into his black jacket pockets. The force nearly caused holes to form.

He said quietly, “So…are you two…”

Cordelia said quickly, “No. We’re not. I may want to move on, but I’m not easy…in case you might have forgotten that too.”

Doyle looked at her now, hearing her words and said, “I haven’t forgotten anything, Cordelia. Nothing about you or us—what we shared. I wouldn’t forget that first night, Cordelia. It all remains in my heart, Cordie.”

Cordelia replied honestly, “I can’t forget either. I think about you, Doyle, a lot. I hate it! I hate it because I knew you were gone, but I go to work, letting myself have frigging delusions that you are in the next room. Then I throw pictures of us to the wall busting them to pieces. At night, I go home and I long to hear your voice. The place we shared is someone else’s now, but the flat I live in still echoes you. I climb into bed…and this is the most pathetic. I wished you were there and would fantasize about you making love to me. I couldn’t deal with my state of mind anymore, Doyle. I met Jeff. But even with him I couldn’t let myself get close…I just kept imagining you and your face, your hands, our love.”

Doyle’s eyes filled with emotion and he said dryly, “Cordie…I am so sorry.”

Cordelia spat through tears while storming toward nothing, “Forget it, Doyle. It’s obvious to me now that I’ve loved you, but it hasn’t been returned. Not really. I gave myself to you and I don’t regret it.” Facing him now she added, “I don’t. You were the one, the only one I wanted to share that part of me with. But I can’t stand here and watch as you do nothing, say nothing in response to my heartfelt words. So I’m going back inside.”

As she walked past, Cordelia was pulled intimately into Doyle’s arms. Doyle couldn’t stop it now. He told himself he didn’t deserve to hold Cordelia, to kiss her, to love her, but damn it those were all just stupid words. The reality was here and he was part of it. So was she. So he was going to act and stop fantasizing about it! He loved her, had for as far back as he could remember. As far back as counted for a damn thing.

Dipping his head down toward Cordelia’s, Doyle kissed her passionately.

Doyle said, “Cordie…I’ve wanted you, dreamt of you for so long…”

He held her to him and Cordelia locked her legs to his so she could feel him even more against her. She had missed this too long. She was only kissing him but it was so powerful, so engulfing that she longed, ached, for more. She said aloud, “I want you Doyle. I need you.”

Doyle knew he could work his pants down and lift up her skirt and take her, give them both the end result of pleasure and passion, but he couldn’t do that. So he moved back and said, “I can’t do that, Cordelia.”

Cordelia said, “Can’t you?”

Grinning, he said, “Oh physically, sure, I could, easily. But I can’t do that to you…not when you are seeing someone else.”

Cordelia smoothed out her skirt and said, “Jeff? He’s a friend, Doyle.”

Doyle let his voice grow to normal sound and said, “He seemed to think more of you than that. Where is he, by the way?” He asked as he took off his coat for air to cool his desire.

Cordelia said, “I…I sent him home. He might see something, but if he does, Doyle it is his own imaginings. I love you.”

Doyle said, “I love you too. Damn it that is what has been so hard. It’s what has brought me back, I think. I can’t go on thinking I can live without you, Cordelia. I love you too much to be that big an idiot. I need you, girl. You’re everything to me.” Taking a deep breath, reaching again for her to pull her close, Doyle said, “Marry me.”

Cordelia’s eyes filled with tears and she let them fall as she smiled and said, “If you’re not ready, we can wait, Doyle. I don’t know why I insisted on such a thing without talking reasonably with you. It was demanding and selfish of me. I’m sorry, Doyle.”

Doyle grinned and said, “I think I’m gonna half to mark this one down.”

Cordelia nearly slapped him playfully then stopped.

Doyle said, “I want to marry you, Cordelia. Sure I was worried but mostly I was just scared that I couldn’t be good at marriage. But I know that I can’t live without you. I can’t. Living without you is empty and not living. Just existing. I want you having my name, I want to make love with you day and night in our bed, knowing you are there. I think you’re worth the commitment. I know our love is.”

Cordelia touched Doyle’s face and said, “I love you, Doyle.”

Doyle asked, “Then you will marry me?”

Cordelia flung her arms around him and kissing him in between sobs she said, “I will. Yes!”

Doyle and Cordelia were married two weeks later, with Angel as his best man, Buffy as the maid of honor. Buffy and Angel had a beautiful baby girl named Rose for she represented a special rose. A Rose had been born in the darkness of night out of a love that expanded time, distance, and space. It spoke of forever….
The End