And Love Will See Us Through (OTH L/P ADULT)-DEAD AND BURIED

Like Castle, Supernatural, True Blood, The Vampire Diaries, Harry Potter, Twilight, or any other fandom? Write Fan Fiction for it? Then go ahead and post it here!

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

And Love Will See Us Through (OTH L/P ADULT)-DEAD AND BURIED

Post by Emz80m »

Title: And Love Will See us Through.
Author: Emma
Disclaimer: I don’t own OTH or any of the characters. I’m just borrowing them for fictional purposes. Some lines used in this story are from episode 3:16, I also don’t claim ownership of these.
Category: Leyton with some Brucas, AU
Rating: ADULT
Summery: its a few weeks after the events of 3:16 (Tired Eyes, Tired Minds, Tired Souls, We Slept) and Lucas will finally have to deal with the events of the day in the library with Peyton. Disregard anything that happened after this episode as this story is an alternative world.

Lucas and Peyton are hiding behind one of the bookshelves in the library.

“It’s not glass, is it? In my leg?” Peyton asks.

Lucas shakes his head, “No, it’s a bullet. Now I may have to get you out of here, ok?”

Peyton looks at him like he’s crazy for even suggesting it.

“But nothing will happen to you. I promise.”

“You’re always saving me.” Peyton smiles at him.

“Somebody's got to”

Peyton looks away for a second before she turns her gaze back to Lucas’s. “If I say I love you, right now; will you hold it against me? Because I’ve lost a lot of blood”

Lucas smiles at her.

“Come here” Peyton whispers.

Lucas moves closer and Peyton leans in and kisses him.

“Just in case you can’t keep your promise,” she whispers just before she closes her eyes and her breath shallows out.

Lucas Scott wakes with a start his mind immediately going over the dream he just had about Peyton Sawyer.

Leaning over he looked at the clock on his bedside table and he sighed. Like every morning for the past week he had woken five minutes before his alarm was about to go off.

It had been two weeks since the day that Keith had been taken from them, and that Peyton had been shot by his one time childhood friend Jimmy Edwards, and sometimes Lucas still couldn’t believe that it had happened. It was like a nightmare that he was desperately trying to wake up from, but instead it had become his life, a life he had to live everyday.

He wondered if Jimmy had known what he was going to do to their lives the day he took the gun into the school. Did he know that by shooting Peyton that she would become scared and withdrawn? That by killing Keith he would leave his mother heartbroken and his new brother and sister fatherless? No, he guessed that Jimmy had no idea.

Lucas lied in bed until his alarm went off and unlike most mornings, his mother didn’t come in to hurry him up, telling him he would be late for school if he didn’t get up soon. No, these days she barely came out of her room and Lucas could hardly blame her.

He sighed, pulled the covers back and got out of bed. Maybe if he took a long hot shower he could wash away the remnants of his dreams and for a short time, the nightmare that had become his life.

Brooke stared at over at her best friend in concern as they drove to school.

Brooke had done everything she could think of to try to bring her best friend back but the longer it went on the more she was starting to suspect that she was lost to her forever. Didn’t Peyton know how much she needed her right now? She thought selfishly. Things with Lucas were going terribly, just like Peyton, Brooke had no idea how to reach her boyfriend and she could really do with some advice.

“Would you stop staring,” Peyton said.

“I’m not,” Brooke denied.

Peyton turned and smiled Brooke and rolled her eyes. “Ok so that wasn’t your eyes burning a whole in my face”

Brooke smiled; this was the first signs of her old best friend in weeks.

“I’m just worried about you,” she said.

“Don’t be,” Peyton said. “I’m fine”

“Are you sure because you haven’t even talked about it?” Brooke pointed out. Peyton had refused to talk to the councillors offered, or even Larry who had rushed back to be by his daughter’s side.

Peyton frowned, her thoughts going to Lucas. “I will when I’m ready,” she told Brooke. I will when Lucas is ready, she added silently.

“I hate that you’re going through this P Sawyer, I hate that Lucas and Karen are going through this,” Brooke said.

“How are they?” Peyton asked. Since she had been bed ridden with her leg, Peyton hadn’t see Lucas or Karen and had to rely on Brooke and Hailey to hear how they were doing.

Peyton guessed not to well though since Hailey and Nathan had put their wedding off to give them both time to come to terms with what had happened.

“Lucas said Karen barely comes out of her room and Hailey said she hasn’t been to the café at all, but who can blame her you know” Brooke shrugged.

She pulled the v-bug convertible into the school parking lot then just as Lucas was getting out of his own car a few spots down. This was his first day back at school since the shooting and Brooke knew that it was going to be hard for him.

“As for Lucas, maybe you should ask him yourself,” Brooke suggested and gestured in his direction.

“Lucas!” Brooke called out as she hurried out of the car.

Lucas stopped and looked over when he heard his girlfriend’s voice. Seeing Brooke usually brought a smile to his face but for the past 2 weeks it had brought him little joy or comfort. He knew she was trying to be supportive but truthfully, he just needed space. He couldn’t talk to her about what had happened, she hadn’t been there.

His eyes widened when he saw movement from the side of her car and a blonde head popped struggling with her crutches.

“Peyton” he whispered.

He moved towards her quickly, ignoring Brooke as he passed her, until he was standing in front of her.

Peyton didn’t smile. “Hey Luke” she whispered.

Without thought, Lucas wrapped her in his arms. “I missed you Peyt,” he told her.

With those simple words, Peyton Sawyer allowed her walls to crumble and she began to cry. She cried for the day all their innocence was taken by Jimmy Edwards, she cried for Keith who was gone to them all, but mostly she cried because she realised that she was in love with Lucas Scott, and she had no idea how she was supposed to tell her best friend.
Last edited by Emz80m on Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Emz80m »

“Interesting, I thought Lucas was supposed to be your boyfriend”

Brooke turned and frowned at Rachel who had snuck up on her. Truthfully, she had been hurt when Lucas had walked past her and ignored her to go straight to Peyton’s side.

“They haven’t seen each other since the shooting” Brooke shrugged it off.

“Right. Keep telling yourself that” Rachel told her. “But get used to it because what those two shared that day in the library is probably more that you can ever hope to share with them” she pointed out before she walked off leaving Brooke to simply watch as Lucas now helped Peyton with her bag.

For the rest of the day Brooke was quiet as she observed the way her best friend and boyfriend interacted with each other. She had told herself countless times since getting back with Lucas that she was over what he and Peyton had done to her before. She had thought she was convinced that Lucas only had feelings for her. But now the small, seemingly innocent touches shared between them had Brooke questioning everything all over again.

“You ok Brooke?” Lucas asked her.

Brooke shook herself out of her thoughts and put on a fake smile. “Sure”

“You must be happy to be back at school Peyton” Brooke commented then.

Peyton frowned. “Not really”

It had been her Dad’s idea to return.

“Well I’m glad you’re back, I’m glad that both of you are back” she said and leaned in to kiss Lucas’s cheek.

Lucas chose that moment to yawn and Brooke looked at him concerned. “You tired?” she asked.

“Yeah I haven’t been sleeping very well,” he explained.

Brooke smiled, “I could help you with that,” she whispered into his ear.

Lucas sighed, “You can’t fix everything with sex Brooke,” he snapped.

Brooke shrunk back hurt by his words. “That’s not what I meant,” she told him.

Peyton did her best, sitting across from them, to ignore their conversation. She didn’t want to hear about their sex life, or anything to do with their relationship.

“I’m sorry” Lucas sighed again, “I’m just not dealing with everything very well at the moment,” he admitted.

“I know” she said sympathetically, “but I’m here for you if you need to talk, or for anything,” she said.

“Thanks” he said and then slowly rose to his feet. He looed at Peyton then. “I need to go the library so I’ll catch up with you both later,” he informed them.

Peyton nodded slightly.

“Ok, by Luke” Brooke replied. She watched as she walked away, his head down.

“I’m really worried about him,” she told Peyton.

“He’s ok under the circumstances” Peyton shrugged. What did Brooke expect? Lucas had just lost one of the most important people in his life.

“I just wish there was something I could do” she frowned at her best friend.

“Just be there for him but give him space too,” Peyton said.

“You know that doesn’t make sense,” Brooke said.

“You’ll figure it out” Peyton told her. Brooke had been her shoulder to cry on when her mother had passed away and she had no doubt that if Lucas needed her Brooke would be there for him too.

“Thanks”

Peyton stood then, “I should start heading to class now or I’ll be late” she rolled her eyes. “See ya later Brooke”

“By P Sawyer” Brooke waved.

Peyton closed her eyes for a second as she enjoyed the warm night outside. It had been years since she had just sat on the porch swing and just sat. The swing had been her mothers and she remembered all the nights when she was young that her parents would sit there and swing for hours.

“Am I interrupting?”

Peyton’s eyes snapped opened when she was startled by the voice and immediately locked with Lucas’s deep blue ones.

“Hey” she said.

“Hey” he replied his hands shoved deep in his pockets.

“What are you doing here?” she wondered.

“I just had to get out of the house so I went for a walk and I just ended up here” he admitted and moved closer to Peyton.

“Can i?” he asked gesturing to the seat next to her.

“Sure” she agreed.

She tried to ignore the increase in her heart beat at his close proximity. Tried to resist the urge to sniff and inhale the scent of his aftershave.

“I’m sorry I didn’t come to visit you sooner” he admitted.

“Its ok, you’ve had a lot going on Luke”

“Yeah but you’re important to me, I should have been here for you” he told her.

“Luke, you saved my life?” Peyton cried. “If it wasn’t for you I wouldn’t be here”

“I didn’t do that much” he shrugged off as he tried to avoid remembering the moment he had carried her limp body out of the school, passing Keith and Jimmy on the way. Maybe if he had stopped, insisted that Keith go with him things would have turned out differently.

“It’s not your fault” Peyton read his mind. “Keith loved you Luke and he wanted you to be safe”

“I know”

“Did I thank you?” Peyton asked then.

“For?”

She smiled, “for saving my life” she said. “You’re always saving me” she added with a whisper.

“Someone’s got to” he whispered back remembering the words from his dream the night before.

Their eyes locked and held.

“Let me save you this time” Peyton finally said.

Lucas looked at her confused but when she pulled him closer until his head was lying on her shoulder he understood what she was saying.
“You’re safe with me Lucas” she told him. “You’re safe with me”

Lucas closed his eyes knowing that her words were true. He felt physically and emotionally safe with Peyton, knowing somehow that with her his heart would always be safe.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Emz80m »

“Hey boyfriend,” Brooke grinned as she threw herself down on Lucas’s bed.

“Hey” Lucas replied as he closed his laptop and placed it on the floor next to his bed.

“What ya doing?” she asked.

“Nothing much” he shrugged.

Brooke leaned in to kiss him then and Lucas reciprocated for a few seconds before pulling back. Kissing Brooke at one time had been like a balm to his soul but now it just felt empty.

Brooke resisted the urge to frown when Lucas pulled back from the kiss she was desperate to deepen. They hadn’t been together intimately since Keith had died and although she understood it at first now she was beginning to worry that there was something more to Lucas’s distance. It wasn’t as though all she was interested in was sex either. Brooke just wanted to feel close to Lucas but no matter what she did, he seemed to counter her offensive and maintain the distance between them.

“So where were you lat night? I waited for hours for you?” she asked.

“Last night?” Lucas frowned.

“Yeah I came by but your mum said you’d gone for a walk and that I could wait” she replied.

“Oh just the river court” he shrugged instantly feeling guilty for not telling her the real truth. But Lucas wasn’t stupid. He knew that if Brooke found out that he had gone to Peyton, that he needed Peyton, he would once again break her heart. The thing was the longer things went on between them he was starting to realise that there wasn’t really a way around hurting Brooke. He loved her, he knew he always would, but deep down he knew that it wasn’t enough anymore. Brooke had been great through everything, offering to be there for him, but right now she wasn’t the person he needed.

“You shouldn’t stay out there so late,” she told him.

“Yeah I know” he tried to smile.

“So listen. I thought it would be nice if we could spend some time together tonight. You could come over to the apartment…” she suggested with a grin.

“Actually that sounds good, maybe we could invite the gang over it will give me a chance to say goodbye,” he said.

“Goodbye?” Brooke asked confused.

“Yeah” he nodded regretfully.

It had been decided the day before after he and his mother had finally sat down and had a heart to heart about everything.

“Mum and I need to get away,” he told her. “So we’re going on a road trip”

“Oh” Brooke frowned.

“I think it will be good for us. Get away from Tree Hill and try to get our lives back in order,” he explained.

“I guess” Brooke said sadly. “But what about school?” she asked.

“There’s only a few weeks until we go on break and mum already cleared it with Principle Turner who agreed that I could use the break under the circumstances”

“So how long will you be gone?” Brooke asked.

“Not sure” he shrugged. “Probably a month, maybe less” he guessed.

He wasn’t going to rush back to Tree Hill that was for sure.

“I’ll miss you,” Brooke pouted.

Lucas looked down into her beautiful eyes and desperately wanted to be able to say the same, so why did he feel like Brooke was just one more thing he was running from.

“Me too” he said and quickly looked away.

“How did Brooke take the news?” Karen asked as Lucas walked into the kitchen.

He pulled a bottle of water out of the fridge before joining her at the kitchen table where she was sipping on a cup of tea. The last few weeks had taken their toll on his mother, she looked tired and sad. Not that he could blame her.

“Ok” he said.

“Just ok?” Karen said.

“I guess” Lucas shrugged.

“Ok kiddo what’s going on?” Karen said. She knew that she hadn’t been there for him much in the past few weeks, which she regretted, but she wanted to be here for him now. Maybe they could heal each other.

“What would you say if I said I’m thinking of breaking up with Brooke?” he told her.

“I’d say that you must have a good reason because I know how hard you fought to get her back this year” she replied thoughtfully.

“I did but I’m not so sure my reason is very good” he sighed.

“Did something happen?” she asked.

“Yeah, Keith died” he replied sadly.

“Lucas, Keith would want you to be happy and I know for a fact that he liked Brooke”

“That’s not what I meant. I guess I’m just seeing the world differently, people differently since I lost Keith” he told her.

“And now you don’t think that you love Brooke like you did?” Karen asked slightly confused.

“Like I love Brooke but that maybe not the way I could love someone else,” he admitted.

“Would this someone else have a name?” Karen asked.

“Maybe” he shrugged.

“Well I think that if you have feelings for someone else, not matter how small or big, then you should break up with Brooke. But you must realise Lucas that no matter what you do you’re going to hurt Brooke”

“I know,” he said. “That’s the part I hate”

“I’m afraid that’s life kiddo, I learnt that the very hard way” Karen whispered her thoughts turning to all the wastes years she could have spent with Keith but instead had spent pushing him away.

Lucas nodded. “Thanks Mum” he said before standing back up and making his way towards his room

Lucas smiled as he sat around with this closest friends and brother. He knew without a doubt that he would miss them while he was gone; they all in their own way had been fantastic through everything that had happened.

“I can’t believe you’re going” Hailey whined as she sat down next to him.

“I know but it will go quick” Lucas hugged her.

“Brooke’s really going to miss you,” she told him.

Lucas did his best to smile and nod. “Do me a favour?” he asked.

“Anything” Hailey promised.

“Look after her for me?” he asked.

Hailey frowned, “ok” she agreed.

“Thanks Hales” he said before getting up and moving towards Peyton.

“Hey” she greeted him.

“Hey yourself” he replied. “How’s the leg?”

“Getting there,” she replied. “So you sort of sprung this trip on us,” she pointed out.

“I know” he smiled sheepishly. “Sorry”

“It’s cool; just don’t stay away for too long”

“I won’t,” he agreed. “Besides with out me you could end up in all sorts of trouble,” he joked.

“Hey boyfriend” Brooke interrupted. “Are you having fun?” she asked hopefully.

“Yeah I am. Thanks” he told her and awkwardly returned the hug she was giving him.

“Hey bro” Nathan joined them then. “We’re going to get out of here,” he informed him.

“Sure no problem” Lucas nodded.

“You’ll stay in touch?” Nathan asked.

“Of course” Lucas smiled.

“Good” Nathan said feeling awkward about the mushy moment he was having in front of the girls.

Lucas followed him to the door then where they shared a hug. “I’ll miss you man, look after your mum”

“You too Nate” Lucas agreed.

He hugged Hailey good bye too then before turning back to the remaining people in the room.

“I should head too,” Peyton said getting up and grabbing for her crutches.

“Are you right getting home yourself?” Lucas asked concerned.

“Its cool I’ve got her Luke,” Mouth volunteered.

“Are you sure?” Lucas asked his eyes locked with Peyton.

“Yeah its fine. Have a good trip Luke” she replied.

Peyton desperately wanted to hug him, but a glance out of the corner of her eye confirmed Brooke’s heated stare.

Without thought, Lucas stepped forward and closed the gap between them sensing Peyton’s hesitance. “I’ll see you soon,” he whispered.

Peyton smiled and nodded.

“By Luke” Mouth said.

“See you soon Mouth” Lucas smiled.

Brooke waited until both Mouth and Peyton were gone from the apartment before moving towards Lucas.

“Well I guess it just you and me” she grinned. “What ever shall we do?” she said.

Lucas gulped and turned to look at his beautiful girlfriend.

“Actually Brooke, we need to talk,” he told her.

Peyton knew that she should be sitting with her leg up but instead she was plastered in front of her computer with sketch book in hand.

“Please promise me that you’ve got that web cam turned off”

She jumped at the sound of his voice, her eyes darting to his figure leaning against the opening to her bedroom door.

“Luke!” she said. “What are you doing here?” she asked.

Lucas shrugged as he took a step into the room. It was late, almost midnight but he had to come and see her, no he needed to. He couldn’t leave Tree Hill without seeing her beautiful face one more time.

He took a seat on the bed. “So is it turned off?” he asked.

Peyton nodded.

“Good” he said.

Peyton cast a glance at the clock. Yes, it was late. “How did you get in?” she wondered.

“Larry” he said.

Peyton rolled her eyes. “You know you’re the only male he’ll let in this house let alone my bedroom?” she joked.

“Well I’m not surprised, I am your personal knight in shining in armour,” he reminded her.

“Yeah you definetely are” Peyton smiled.

The mood changed slightly then. Lucas was looking at her differently, like he could read her mind and heart and knew exactly how she thought and felt about him.

“What?” she asked.

“We never really talked about that day,” he pointed out.

“It was a hard day” she replied. “For you more so than me” she added.

“I dream about it,” he confessed.

“I’m sorry” she apologised.

“Why?”

“Well it was my fault you were in there,” she said.

“Don’t,” he whispered. “I wouldn’t change it,” he told her. “When I saw you in that library…” he shook his head, “god Peyt I was so scared I was going to loose you” he confessed.

“Me too” she replied.

“Are the dreams bad?” she asked then.

Lucas smiled then, “I think I forgot about some of the things that day, sort of blocked them out after what happened with Keith”

“That’s understandable”

“But now I keep having the reoccurring dream and when I wake up I know it actually happened” he said.

Peyton felt dread settle in her stomach. “What’s that?” she asked.

“You told me you love me Peyton Sawyer” he grinned.

Peyton rolled her eyes. “I know my mind is a bit foggy from day that but I’m pretty certain you promised you wouldn’t hold it against me” she replied.

Lucas laughed and stood up. He walked purposefully towards her and leaned down until both hands were gripping the sides of Peyton’s computer chair.

“I’m definetely holding it against you,” he whispered before he leaned in and kissed her mouth gently.

When he pulled back Peyton’s eyes were still closed.

“Lucas what?” she asked as he stood back up and began walking towards the door.

“I’ll be seeing you real soon Peyton Sawyer,” he promised with a smile before he disappeared through the door.

Peyton was having the best dream. In it, Lucas had confessed his feelings for her and somehow without hurting Brooke they had managed to be together. It was going so perfectly so it was fairly ironic that it would be the voice of her crying best friend that would wake her from her happy state.

“Wake up P” Brooke cried.

“Brooke what?” Peyton mumbled as she tried to sit up in bed.

The first things he noticed when she finally pried her eyes open was Brooke’s red puffy face.

“What’s wrong?” she asked.

“Lucas broke up with me,” she cried.

“What?” Peyton asked shocked. “When?” she asked then worried that he had done it because of the kiss they had shared the night before.

“Last night after you left” she said.

“Ok back up, tell me everything” Peyton said.

Flashback to the night before

The minute the words left Lucas’s mouth Brooke knew that no good would come from them.

“Talk, Ok” she smiled.

They sat down next to each other on the lounge and Brooke did her best not to fidget as she waited for Lucas to start talking.

“I know you’re upset about this trip” he started.

“I understand it” she replied.

“I know, and I love you for it” he admitted, “but everything in my life is a mess at the moment Brooke”

“I know but it will get better, I’ll help you” she smiled.

“See that’s the thing” she sighed, “I think I need to get through it by myself”

‘Ok” Brooke frowned.

“I think that maybe whilst I’m away it might be a good time for you and me to take a break,” he told her. Lucas had given it a lot of thought. He loved Brooke but she wasn’t the only one in his heart and it wasn’t fair of him to be holding himself back from her. “Right now I just don’t have anything to give you.”

“I just want your heart Lucas,” Brooke confessed tearily.

“I know” he replied, “But right now it’s got this gaping hole in it Brooke and you can’t fix that”

“What can?” she asked.

“Time” he sighed.

“Are you breaking up with me?’ she cried.

Hesitantly Lucas nodded. “For now I think it’s what we both need.” He could tell Brooke was about to protest and he quickly beat her to it. “I can’t give you what you need right now Brooke, you know it and I know it. You want my heart, all of it and I can’t give you that. It’s not fair to you, you deserve better”

Brooke looked away heart broken. He was being completely honest with her, it was what she wanted but it still didn’t stop it from hurting.

“So I think we could use this time away from each other. Me to heal, and maybe for you to concentrate on something that you really want to do like your clothing line, or maybe to date someone else if that’s what you want.”

“I only want to date you,” she told him.

“I know but I can’t promise you that when I come back things are magically going to be better,” he told her.

Brooke nodded understanding that. “Ok” she agreed.

Lucas leaned in and kissed her forehead then. “Thank you for everything these past few weeks. I know it’s been hard but you’ve been my rock,” he told her.

“Then why are you pushing me away Luke?” she cried. “Let me be your rock”

Lucas felt tears come to his eyes. He knew he could tell her about his growing feelings for Peyton, it would end any protest or fight, but if he was truthful with himself, Peyton was not the reason for this break up. He was. Lucas was lost and he needed to find his way home without Brooke or anyone other romantic attachment.

“I just can’t,” he whispered broken.

Seeing the look in his eyes Brooke knew he had made up his mind. “Ok”

Standing up Lucas got ready to leave. “I’ll email you,” he told her.

“Ok” she said again.

“I’m sorry Brooke,” he told her as he reached the door.

‘Me too Luke, me too” she said.

Lucas was almost out the door when her voice stopped him. “Lucas!”

“Yeah?”

“I love you,” she said with tears streaming down her face. That was the hard part; Brooke Davis really did love him.

“Me too” he told her. “Look after yourself pretty girl” he smiled at her before he disappeared through the door. [/i]

“I’m sorry Brooke” Peyton hugged her.

“At least I won’t have to see him. I’ll have a whole month to get over him before he comes back,” Brooke said.

“You’re not going to wait?” Peyton asked surprised.

Brooke shook her head. “I think Luke did me a favour. I need to be on my own for a while. I can’t just keep going from one guy to another,” she said.

“You and Luke have been together for a little while now” Peyton pointed out.

“I know and maybe we will get back together but I’m not going to bank on that,” she said.

“But you’re still really sad aren’t you?” Peyton asked.

“Yeah” she nodded. “I love him”

“I know” Peyton said, she knew exactly how Brooke felt.

“I was angry at first but now…”

“Now what?”

“He didn’t want to hurt me but if he’d kept stringing me along he probably would have,” she admitted.

“He’s a good guy,” Peyton said.

“Yeah he is” Brooke agreed.

Peyton hugged her best friend to her now knowing that she would be there for her every step of the way, and in a month if Lucas came back and they got back together Peyton would still be there because she knew one thing for sure, and that was that she didn’t want to loose her best friend again.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Emz80m »

“So school goes back on Monday, has anyone heard from Luke?” Skills asked as he and Bevin took a seat at table with the rest of gang in Karen’s Café.

It was hard to believe sometimes that Karen and Luke had been gone a month. But they had and things had definitely changed since then.

“I talked to him the other day and he said they would definetely be back for first day of school” Nathan said.

“They can’t stay away forever,” Hailey added.

Peyton remained quiet. Should she tell them that she had talked to him the night before? And that he and Karen would be home in a matter of hours.

For most of the month that Lucas was gone, Peyton had kept the phone calls and emails from him to herself mainly because she didn’t want to hurt Brooke. She knew Brooke was getting the occasional email as were the others but she liked to think that she was special, Lucas would email her at least once a day and she had talked to him on the phone every week. Peyton knew he was worried about her, always checking in to make sure she was ok since her dad had gone back to work.

The truth was Peyton was glad for the calls and the emails. She had never been able to talk to anyone the way she had Lucas, and somehow over the past month they had been able to open up to each other and confide in each other their fears and worries about things that were going on in their lives. Lucas had been there through 2 of the worst moments in her life, and now he understood how she felt about loosing her mother too. Peyton could also tell that from the calls and emails that the trip had helped Lucas.

“Where’s Brooke tonight?” Hailey asked.

“Oh I’m actually not sure, she just said she had something to do” Peyton shrugged. It wasn’t the first time in the past week that had happened either and Peyton was starting to suspect that Brooke was up to something.

There hadn’t been any guys since Lucas had left but Brooke had definetely embraced being single. She was concentrating on her clothing line, cheer leading and spending time with friends like Mouth, Hailey and Peyton.

“Do you think Luke and Brooke will get back together?” Skills asked the group.

“I don’t know, probably” Hailey shrugged not seeing any reason they wouldn’t.

“As long as world war 3 doesn’t start up and Lucas plays some kick ass basket ball in the upcoming tournament I don’t care,” Nathan said.

“You’ve been quiet tonight girl” Skills commented turning his attention to Peyton. “What do you think?”

“I have no idea to tell you the truth” she replied.

It was dumb but Peyton hadn’t worked up the courage to talk to Lucas about the kiss the night he left, or the fact that he had broken up with Brooke. Did it mean something? She had no idea. Lucas certainly wasn’t treating her any differently.

“You happy to be home?” Karen asked her son as they walked into their house for the fist time in 4 weeks.

“Definetely” he grinned.

The trip had been great for the both of them. They had seen some great places and both spent a lot of time soul searching. But the most exciting thing as far as Lucas was concerned was the discovery that Karen was actually pregnant.

Part of the reason for the trip, as well as healing had been for Lucas to check out some college options too.

“Well make sure you keep your grades up now and you’ll be able to go to one of those colleges you like so much,” Karen said.

Lucas smiled and kissed his mum, “Ok mum” he agreed.

After putting away his stuff and sorting out his washing, Lucas went in search of Karen.

“Hey mum,” he said.

Karen looked up from the photo of her, Keith and Lucas and smiled. “Yeah?”

“I’m going to go out for a while,” he said.

Karen nodded and smiled. “Tell Peyton I said hi,” she said knowingly causing Lucas to blush.

It hadn’t taken much for Karen to work out that something had changed between Lucas and Peyton since the shooting. If the constant phone calls and emails to her weren’t a dead give away, the mumbling of her name in his sleep certainly would. Karen just hoped that things worked out better than they did last time Lucas put himself in between Brooke and Peyton.

“See ya mum” he said.

Basketball in hand Lucas had all intentions of heading to the river court but a few steps later he was quickly on his way to Peyton’s instead. She was the only one who knew they would be coming home that night and he couldn’t wait to see her.

Her bedroom light was on and he let himself into the house using the key, which he knew where she hid.

When he reached her bedroom door, he stood and watched her from the doorway as she laid on her stomach on the bed sketching. God he had missed her, more than he had thought. The time away had really helped him sort through his feelings for many things. Peyton and Brooke included.

Feeling eyes on her Peyton turned and was almost startled when she found Lucas’s smiling face.

“Hey there” she greeted him, breaking him out of his stare.

“Hey there beautiful” he replied causing her to blush.

He walked towards her easily and she rose to her knees to accept the hug that she knew was coming.

Lucas inhaled her perfume and closed his eyes. “I missed you Peyt,” he told her.

“Me too” she replied.

Pulling back, Lucas joined her on the other side of the bed. “So your legs looking pretty good” he commented. “It was the first thing I noticed” he grinned.

“You perv” she shoved him playfully.

“I used to watch you back in sophomore year you know” he commented then.

“What exactly did you watch?” she asked curiously.

“Mostly your legs” he grinned.

Peyton rolled her eyes, “did I say I missed you before? Because I take it back, I totally didn’t miss your pervy ass,” she joked.

Lucas laughed and pulled her to him until she was lying with her head on his chest, “well too bad because I really missed you” he told her.

Brooke was nervous as she walked into the school on Monday morning. She knew Lucas was back, Hailey had told her they had gotten home late Saturday night. She also knew that there was no way she could avoid him and she hadn’t worked out if she wanted to or not.

Brooke had thought a lot about Lucas and their relationship in the past month but she hadn’t found all the answers. Did she still love Lucas? Yes she definetely did. Did she want to get back together? Yes, she thought so.

The thing was Brooke had embraced her time away from Lucas, and although she hadn’t gone out of her way to find a guy, she had. It had been a couple of nights here and there with a guy she met from a bar but it had been enough to remind her of how good it was to be in a stable relationship. Now she had to come clean, tell Lucas, and hope it didn’t affect things between them.

She stopped when she saw him standing at his locker. He was smiling. It had been a long time since had seen him do that.

“Hey” she greeted nervously when she reached him.

Lucas turned and smiled at her. “Hey Brooke” he greeted.

Brooke resisted the urge to frown. What had happened to pretty girl? Was she really back in just Brooke territory?

“How was your trip?” she asked.

“Good” he said as he shut his locker and they began to walk down the hallway towards their first class. “It was really good to get away and spend some time with my mum you know?”

“Yeah? That’s good,” she smiled.

They stopped when they reached Lucas’s first class. “I missed you,” Brooke admitted.

“I missed you too” Lucas smiled.

“Do you think we could talk later, about us?” Brooke asked.

“Yeah I’d like that” he agreed.

Once he was gone, Brooke smiled in relief. Maybe things would work out ok after all.

“Did you know Lucas is back?” Brooke asked Peyton as she sat down next to her at their usual lunch table.

“Um yeah” Peyton said.

“We’re going to talk later” she smiled.

“Oh” Peyton said. “Do you think you’re going to get back together?” she asked.

“I don’t know. I think I want to but we have a few things to work through” Brooke replied.

“Oh well good luck” Peyton put on her best fake smile.

“Thanks” Brooke grinned.

Lucas was nervous as he knocked on Brooke’s apartment door. They had agreed that it would be best for him to come to her where they could have some privacy. But it would be the first time he had steppe foot inside her apartment since they had broken up the month before.

“Hey” she greeted and opened the door for him to enter.

“Hey” he replied.

They stood awkwardly for a few seconds before Brooke broke the silence, stepped forward, and hugged him.

Lucas wrapped his arms around her hugged her back, relieved that she had taken the first step.

“I wanted to do that earlier today but I wasn’t sure where we stood,” she admitted.

“You can always hug me Brooke” he assured her.

“Good” she replied.

“So what did you do while I was away?” he asked curiously. The emails they had exchanged hadn’t told him too much about what she was doing with her time and he was curious.

“Well I have a whole line for clothes over bro’s now” she grinned.

“Brooke that’s great” he smiled.

“I missed you but I think you were right to suggest our break,” she admitted.

“Yeah I think so too,” he said happy that it appeared they were on the same page.

“It made me realise how much you mean to me,” Brooke said then.

“Oh” Lucas frowned.

“And I want to be completely honest with you Lucas. I did meet someone whilst you were gone but it just reminded me what I was missing, how much I loved our relationship” she said.

“You were with someone else?” he said.

“Yeah, it wasn’t anything major” she said.

“Did you sleep with him?” Lucas frowned.

Surely, she wasn’t asking him to get back together with him when she couldn’t even wait a month for him without moving on to someone else.

“We were on a break,” Brooke pointed out.

Lucas sighed. “Brooke look…”

“I want us to try again Lucas, now that your home things can go back to normal,” she said.

“Brooke I don’t think so,” he admitted.

“What?” she asked.

“You’re not the only one that gained a bit of perspective while I was away. I had a lot of time to think, about you, about my life, where I’m going,” he explained.

“And you decided that I didn’t fit in?” she asked hurt.

“Brooke you couldn’t even wait a month for me” he whispered.

“No don’t. Don’t use my being with another guy as an excuse,” she demanded.

“Ok, well I guess it just confirmed what I already thought. I love you Brooke but I just feel like we’re drifting in two very different directions,” he admitted.

Brooke felt tears spring to her eyes. She had known in her heart that this was coming but she hoped it wasn’t because she couldn’t fail with Lucas. He was the only thing that she had ever put her whole heart into, and if she failed what did that say about her?

“I love you Brooke. I always will but I just think we need to let go and move on. Be happy with other people, be happy by ourselves,” he said.

For an inkling of a second, Brooke wondered if there was someone else but she quickly discarded the idea. Lucas was trying to be completely honest with her.

“I just really wanted this to work,” she told him.

“I know,” he agreed.

“Just promise me something?” she said then.

“Anything” he agreed.

“That we can be friends and that you’ll be there for me when I need you?” she asked hopefully.

Lucas smiled as he pulled her crying form into his arms. “Always Pretty girl, always” he promised.