Regret (PB, TEEN, Gen, M/S) D and B

Like Castle, Supernatural, True Blood, The Vampire Diaries, Harry Potter, Twilight, or any other fandom? Write Fan Fiction for it? Then go ahead and post it here!

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

Angel
Administrator

Regret (PB, TEEN, Gen, M/S) D and B

Post by Angel »

<b>Title</b>: Regret (part 1/2)
<b>Author</b>: Angel
<b>Rating</b>: TEEN
<b>Disclaimer</b>: The characters of Prison Break belong to others.
<b>Category</b>: Gen, het
<b>Characters</b>: Michael POV, Sara
<b>Summary</b>: Michael hears horrible news and takes a risk he shouldn’t.
<b>Spoilers</b>: End of season 1
<b>Author’s Note</b>: This is short, two part fic. And my first foray into Prison Break fic. It feels weird to not be writing about aliens…or even something less than 70 parts. Strange, that. We’ll see how this goes. *stares hopefully* Thanks to Pamela for checking this out telling me it’s not a piece of crap.

<b>Part 1</b>

The face on the television screen mocked me as my half empty glass of scotch hit the table sloppily, spilling most of its amber contents. Surely I heard the neatly pressed and coifed newscaster wrong. Signaling to the bartender to turn the volume up, I felt my knees start to shake. I could even feel the blood drain from my face as I heard it loud and clear the second time.

“Illinois Governor Tancredi, the front-runner for the newly open Vice Presidential seat, held a press conference to announce the accidental death of his daughter, Dr. Sara Tancredi today. The Governor continues to deny rumors that his daughter committed suicide by drug overdose.” I tuned out, then…scanning the bar for someone. Anyone. I didn’t know what to do with myself as I stared up at the 30 year old television with the off balance horizontal.

They had to be wrong, I thought. I couldn’t believe that Sara would kill herself. I absolutely refused to believe it.

I hurried out of the bar and shielded my eyes from the hot Nevada sun. There were very few cars outside and the ones that were there looked like they wouldn’t start. But my borrowed motorcycle was still there, gleaming red in the sun. Juan, our neighbor, graciously let me borrow it when I needed to run into town.

During the ride back, I couldn’t think of anything except the last time I saw Sara. The angry look on her face as I asked her to do the impossible. I really didn’t think she’d do it. Considering that every single step of my plan that involved relying on someone else got screwed up, I was giving it about a 50/50 chance that she would actually leave the door unlocked.

Those aren’t very good odds when you have a handful of cons at your back expecting you to come through for them. But she did. She left it open. And I’d spent that week after the escape thinking that meant one of two things. One, she believed in Lincoln’s innocence and the conspiracy surrounding him enough that she left it open. Or two, she still had feelings for me.

As I stumbled through the door of the trailer I’d been holed up in for the last few days, I vaguely heard Lincoln mumble something about a phone. I couldn’t hear him, though. I had one destination in mind…the laptop in the back room that was piggybacking on Juan’s satellite internet connection.

“Michael, what’s wrong?” Lincoln followed me. Knew something wasn’t right. “Tell me.”

My hands shook as I impatiently waited for the laptop to wake up and show me the local Chicago news. I looked up at Lincoln’s worried face and was surprised that I couldn’t see him clearly through the tears in my eyes. Tears of frustration or regret, I didn’t know. Both, probably.

“The news…it said that Sara’s dead,” I mumbled and tried to still my fingers from clicking anything on the laptop. The wait seemed to take forever as I stared at the tiny hourglass flipping.

And flipping.

Instantly alert, Lincoln asked, “Dead? Who killed her?” The conspiracy, of course. His first thought was that she was a victim. I thought he could be right. She wouldn’t kill herself. If she was dead, it wasn’t by her own hand.

“I don’t know, but I’m going to find out,” I declared as the news finally popped up in my browser.

Over the next hour, I found the same story over and over again. ‘Governor’s Daughter Dead by Own Hand’, ‘Respected Doctor Found Dead in Apartment’, ‘Governor’s Daughter Overdosed on Morphine’. Finally, I gave up.

It was true.

She was dead.

And it was my fault.

~TBC~